The day Ken Holland arrived, Oilers fans were talking about Milan Lucic and his contract, goaltending, secondary scoring, the next coach and trading the first round pick. Fans were talking about Connor McDavid’s comments at the end of the season and were worried (with reason as it turned out) about that Mark Giordano play in the final game of the season. Holland tweaked as much as possible, bought out Andrej Sekera, elevated some kids and signed some free agents. In his second offseason, he added Tyson Barrie and Dominik Kahun. Good moves, headed in a good direction.
The real fun is next summer.
I’m proud to be writing for The Athletic, and pleased to be part of a great team with Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis. Here is our recent work.
- New Lowetide: Why Anton Forsberg could win the Oilers’ backup job in 2020-21
- Lowetide: The 2020-21 Oilers finally deploying elite talent in the right places
- Jonathan Willis: Team Draft vs. Team Trade: Which collection of all-time Oilers is better?
- Lowetide: Seattle Kraken expansion mock draft 5.0: Who could the Oilers lose?
- Lowetide: Oilers prospects off to impressive starts worldwide
- Lowetide: Why McDavid and Nuge together could be key to Oilers’ playoff success
- Lowetide: Projected training camp roster for the 2020-21 Oilers.
- Jonathan Willis: Will the Oilers repeat their power play magic in 2021?
- Lowetide: How many ‘peak seasons’ can Oilers fans expect from Connor McDavid?
- Lowetide: Oilers’ increased focus on drafting skill is key to future success
- Lowetide: Why Dave Tippett’s training camp with Oilers will be so compelling
- Lowetide: Oilers’ reasonable expectations for 2020-21: The results
- Lowetide: Oilers’ reasonable expectations for 2020-21: Goals against
- Lowetide: Oilers’ reasonable expectations for 2020-21: The Goals
- Lowetide: Oilers Top 20 prospects, post-draft edition.
It isn’t just expansion next summer. Holland has to make decisions on Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Adam Larsson, Tyson Barrie, Tyler Ennis, Joakim Nygard (UFA’s) and Kailer Yamamoto, Dominik Kahun and possibly Ethan Bear (RFA’s).
POSSIBLE 2021-22 ROSTER
This is my idea of an ideal usage of dollars, probably unrealistic but I wanted to give an idea of what might be possible. Adding Coleman and Ullmark, as well as retaining Nuge, Kahun, Bear and Larsson, gives this team a smart look.
For me, Larsson’s shutdown ability (when healthy) has more value than Barrie’s puck moving, plus there’s a chance the Oilers can save enough (difference between Barrie and Larsson in cap) to sign Kahun or Coleman. You?
I know you all hate the Rel numbers but for me they have great value when looking at a team’s defense. A fabulous quick snap shot. This is Puck IQ versus elites, and shows Larsson averaged six minutes a night, had the best Dangerous Fenwick percentage and best best Fenwick Rel. I sign him over Barrie. We have another year to observe before making the decision.