Stuart Skinner had a good night in Everett and a group of NHLers joined much of the Bakersfield Condors for an interesting game against the Seattle Kraken. What did we learn? Among other things, the goaltending situation for this organization seems to be improving. Also, some of those later picks during the Chiarelli era who remain on the roster might have a chance at an NHL career.
- New Lowetide: Is this Jay Woodcroft’s final year coaching the Bakersfield Condors?
- Lowetide: How could waivers impact Oilers’ roster decisions?
- New DNB: Duncan Keith’s decline, by the numbers and video
- Lowetide: 9 bold predictions for the 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
- Lowetide: Connor McDavid, Zach Hyman and line chemistry
- New DNB: Oilers training camp invitees tell us what it’s like to face McDavid in practice
- Lowetide: Why Tyler Tullio’s skill set is a good match for the Oilers
- DNB: Oilers training camp observations
- Lowetide: Why Colton Sceviour could be an important addition for the Oilers
- DNB: Derek Ryan Q&A
- Jonathan Willis: How can the Oilers find a long-term solution in net?
- Lowetide: What will three outscoring lines do for the Oilers and Connor McDavid?
- DNB: Oilers training camp questions
- Jonathan Willis: Darnell Nurse, in context
- DNB: The Oilers’ plan for prospect Philip Broberg
- Lowetide: Filip Berglund, sleeper option for Edmonton’s defense
- DNB: Cooper Marody Q&A
- Lowetide: The Oilers and the Cooper Marody experiment are at a crossroads
- DNB: Warren Foegele Q&A
- Lowetide: Oilers reasonable expectations for 2021-22: Goal differential
- Lowetide: Oilers’ reasonable expectations for 2021-22: Goal scoring
- Lowetide: What should the Oilers expect from Cody Ceci in his first season?
- Lowetide: Projecting the 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers opening night lineup
- Lowetide: What should Oilers expect from Duncan Keith in his first season?
- Jonathan Willis: Tyler Benson, Devin Shore and the 4-year difference between a prospect and a has-been
This is via HockeyProspecting.com and Byron Bader. It’s a brilliant site that allows you to see what a young player looks like in their formative years compared to players of the past. When I began looking through the site, I used the player comparison tool heavily. Now, I use the single player tool, selfishly because there are players I know better than the suggested group. I think Skinner is on track with Laurent Brossoit, that would be a solid result for Edmonton. That isn’t designed to make you angry, it’s a compliment. If he achieves more? Music!
This is a big era stretch, but finding goalies who are smaller and punched at this level is difficult. I’m not saying we’re dealing with an NK career, but Konovalov as a prospect is on higher ground than Skinner. He may not be an NHL goalie, Skinner might be better, but Konovalov’s resume suggests he might have started his NHL career before now, as did Khabibulin. That gives those who believe the young Russian will emerge quickly some ammo. My thanks to Bader, who is also a nice fellow.
This was two weeks ago and I would change a few things, but that was kind of the point of the exercise. Everyone says “the only job open is No. 7D” in Mid-September and it’s never correct. Josh Archibald had some issues, Ryan McLeod and Tyler Benson have been quiet. Things are not quite as settled as most believed. As of now, after the Seattle game, I see things going like this:
- Smith, Koskinen
- Nurse, Barrie, Keith, Ceci, Koekkoek, Bouchard, Russell, Lagesson.
- MciDavid, Draisaitl, Ryan, McLeod, Shore
- Hyman, Nuge, Foegele, Perlini
- Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Kassian, Sceviour
So the changes are Benson and Archibald out among the forwards, replaced by Perlini and Sceviour. I also moved out Kyle Turris and included William Lagesson, an idea I wrote about that idea in The Athletic article yesterday. Maybe they keep Benson and send out McLeod, but this is going to be a difficult process in balancing the talent available versus who to expose/possibly lose via waivers. Jobs remain in the balance and a big performance tonight could change things. These young men are running out of blacktop.
As for the roster, I have been saying since the beginning of summer (actually have been saying it for two years now) the goaltending will get an upgrade. It’s also true a player like Dmitri Samorukov emerging after Christmas could be a key to the season. Evan Bouchard will be the big story early, or at least the big story not named Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Darnell Nurse and Zach Hyman.