We know, based on his history, that Dave Tippett is going to shuffle lines and pairings. He’s going to find chemistry, ride that nag till it drops, then shuffle again. We’ll all bitch and moan and recall MacT running broken-hand Mike York as the point man on a five-on-three, and various other impossible sins done to the roster by veteran coaches. It is the way of an Oilers fan.
The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group, here’s an incredible Offer!
- New Jonathan Willis: Oilers ease pressure on crowded defensive pipeline by trading John Marino to the Penguins
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: What the 2021-22 Oilers might look like after their steady build toward contender status
- New Lowetide: Joel Persson is ideally situated to win an opening night roster spot with the Oilers
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: What the 2019-20 Oilers might look like without trade missteps.
- Lowetide: Finding the best candidates for the final two spots on the Oilers skill lines in 2019-20.
- Jonathan Willis: Projecting the Oilers’ opening night lineup, line combinations and more.
- Lowetide: Does the James Neal acquisition impact Oilers’ prospects in 2019-20?
- Lowetide: Oilers’ acquisition of James Neal could add badly needed scoring to the top two lines.
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Ken Holland puts his stamp on the Oilers with first big move in Lucic-Neal trade
- Jonathan Willis: Ken Holland ends an ugly situation for the Oilers by trading Milan Lucic for James Neal
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Potential free-agent options for the Oilers in 2020
- Jonathan Willis: Which Oilers defencemen can make an outlet pass?
- Lowetide: Looking ahead to Oilers training camp: 35 players for 23 jobs
- Jonathan Willis: Josh Archibald won’t fix the Oilers’ biggest problems, but he’ll help with some key issues.
- Lowetide: Will the 2019-20 Bakersfield Condors be the Oilers’ best minor-league team ever?
- Lowetide: Oilers top 20 prospects summer 2019.
OILERS 2018-19 EVEN STRENGTH SCORING
Identifying the six best options slows down after three and explodes after four, so I think it’s reasonable to assume we’ll see a major shuffle this winter. I like Sam Gagner on the No. 4 line, but Tippett ran him with Martin Erat for 435 minutes, Tobias Rieder 336 minutes, Lauri Korpikoski 257 minutes and Martin Hanzal for 210 minutes. There’s skill in there.
I think we’ll see Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian and Neal-Nuge-Chiasson. I would like to see Neal-McDavid-Kassian, Granlund-Nuge-Archibald, Benson-Draisaitl-Chiasson and Nygard-Khaira-Gagner. I think you could get goals from all four of those lines.
I don’t think the Oilers are going to sign another free agent. However, Derick Brassard remains available, and if his price is right, maybe he’ll be an Oiler. He scored .61 goals per 60 at five-on-five a year ago and won 50.7 percent of his faceoffs.