Appointment Viewing

On the other hand, it’s a 54-hour drive from Halifax (Raphael Lavoie) to Bakersfield (all of the farm hands) and that’s probably a tougher row to hoe.

The dedicated Oilers observer must take into account time zones across the planet and constantly be on guard for breaking news. Even now, with Jesse Puljujarvi posting crooked numbers in some strange tournament, and with Konovalov playing for Lokomotiv on Wednesday, we’re on our way (uh huh uh huh) from misery to happiness.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group, take advantage of the incredible Labor Day Weekend offer here!

• New Lowetide: Connor McDavid’s 2019-20: Pushing for 50 goals while Dave Tippett loads up the Oilers’ top line
  • New Lowetide: Estimating reasonable expectations for the 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers: A difficult journey
  • New Jonathan Willis: How much money will Darnell Nurse make on his next NHL contract?
  • New Lowetide: Ken Holland’s measured summer leaves Oilers outside playoffs.
  • New Jonathan Willis: Can Mikko Koskinen be a quality starter for Oilers in 2019-20?
  • New Lowetide: The 2019-20 Oilers and value contracts: A period of transition
  • New Corey Pronman: Oilers No. 9 farm system.
  • New Jonathan Willis: Jesse Puljujarvi signs one-year deal in Finland, dashing hopes he would return to the Oilers
  • Lowetide: Jay Woodcroft joins Claude Julien and Todd Nelson as key coaches in Oilers prospect development
  • Lowetide: Is Riley Sheahan an ideal fit for the Oilers as their No. 3 centre?
  • Lowetide: Oilers coach Dave Tippett might have to take drastic action in order to find a second outscoring line in 2019-20
  • Lowetide: Oilers end summer still shy on first-shot scoring wingers
  • Lowetide: Connor McDavid and optimal line chemistry: The Oilers need to abandon enforcer fixation and add a skill winger
  • Lowetide: Jesse Puljujarvi’s biggest hurdles: Bad timing and the indifference of the Oilers.
  • Lowetide: Projecting the Oilers 2019-20 Opening Night Lineup
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Dave Tippett on rounding out his coaching staff, fixing Oilers’ special teams and using Connor McDavid
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: What the 2021-22 Oilers might look like after their steady build toward contender status
  • Lowetide: Joel Persson is ideally situated to win an opening night roster spot with the Oilers
  • Jonathan Willis: Projecting the Oilers’ opening night lineup, line combinations and more.
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ acquisition of James Neal could add badly needed scoring to the top two lines.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Ken Holland puts his stamp on the Oilers with first big move in Lucic-Neal trade
  • Jonathan Willis: Ken Holland ends an ugly situation for the Oilers by trading Milan Lucic for James Neal
  • Lowetide: Oilers top 20 prospects summer 2019.

Anticipation

For me, the Bakersfield Condors are going to be the epicenter for viewing Oilers prospects this winter. My personal list includes (or may include) Evan Bouchard, Dmitri Samorukov, Kirill Maksimov and hopefully Ostap Safin.

Newcomers are always the interesting ones to watch in the AHL. Why? Well, last year’s top AHL rookies (Marody, Benson, Lagesson, Day, Starrett) have established an impressive individual and group plateau. In most years Oilers have a few hills, several valleys, and dozens of boggy moors.

It’s important for Edmonton to follow up the impressive group from 2018-19 with a strong set of rookies to add to the cluster. These seasons in Bakersfield will sustain the team through the end of next decade if players like Bouchard and Samorukov are as they appear.

Beyond that, I have a few players I’ll be following closely. Michael Kesselring is tracking well as a giant puck mover and is off to Northeastern University this fall. Northeastern is in Boston, there’s a statue of Cy Young on the campus grounds.

The 2019 draft is going to be fascinating, partly because the age range is so great. Expectations have to be filtered through birth date if we’re going to gain a more accurate view. Here are the birthdates youngest to oldest and level expected in 2019-20:

LD Philip Broberg is 18, born June 25, 2001. He’ll play in Skelleftea this season, that’s SHL. NHL equivalencies (Vollman) suggest players in this league should be expected to bring 58 percent of offense to the NHL. It is the second best league in captivity.

Maxim Denezhkin is 18 and born December 10, 2000. He will play for Yaroslavl of the MHL. Players from the MHL retain 15 percent of offense but it’s a number with small sample.

RC-RW Raphael Lavoie is 18, born September 25, 2000. He’s nine months older than Broberg, so adjust your sights accordingly. He plays in a league expected to retain 25 to 28 percent of offense on the way to the NHL. Based on advanced age and league, he’ll need to deliver a handsome goal total in 2019-20.

Tomas Mazura is 18 and born September 23, 2000 about the same age as Lavoie. He also plays in Hockey East this coming season, 38 percent of overall offense can be trusted.

Matej Blumel is 19 and born in May 2000. He’s an older player, older than Lavoie, so his output has to be demonstrably stronger than younger prospects. He will play in Hockey East, where 38 percent of the offense is real.

Ilya Konovalev is 21, born July of 1998. He’s so advanced we should observe him in the KHL as a possible arrival in 2020-21 or the following year. Massive year in 2018-19 (.930) and a repeat would be impressive. KHL is the world’s best league not named the NHL, and retains 74 percent of offense.

There will be some surprises along the way but that’s my list of players who will be prominent follows. How about you?

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

We kickstart the first week of hockey starting at 10 this morning, TSN1260. Jonathan Willis from The Athletic will pop in at 10:20, we’ll chat about the summer, Jesse Puljujarvi and some possible roster additions via PTO. Andy McNamara from TSN1050 and TSN4Downs will talk CFL and NFL. Andrew Peard, Edmonton Oil Kings play-by-play announcer, will tee up a busy week for the team. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Rockit!

147 Responses to "Appointment Viewing"

1. hunter1909 says:

IT’S BACK!!!!!!!!! FOR ANOTHER EXCITING, INCREDIBLE SEASON

Hunter1909’s Official 2019-20 Death March™

Entries welcome between now and the first puck drop of the 2019-20 season(October 2)

Here’s how you play: Guess how many points the Oilers get in the regular season.

That’s it!

Tie break: How many goals does JP score for his new Finnish team?

2. ArmchairGM says:

Provided Puljujarvi has a strong season in Liiga, would Kaprizov be a worthwhile trade target? His KHL contract is up April 30, 2020.

3. Todd Macallan says:

hunter1909,

I’ll play the optimist and say 93 points this season.
    JP will score 18 goals in Finland, and sadly 0 in Edmonton.

4. Oz says:

Hunter 1909 please put me in for 84 Oiler points and 18 JP goals

5. dustrock says:

So LT, Lavoie won’t be able to play AHL until next year, right?

6. Jethro Tull says:

LT, what are you “Proclaiming”?

I’m only going to walk 500 miles. Ok, maybe 500 more. I checked the weather – sunshine on Leith today. Uh-huh, uh-huh.

7. Hot Eire says:

Hunter.

Oil: 97 points
    JP: 27 goals

8. Fgary says:

Hunter,

82 points, and 18 goals

Thanks!

9. nvan97 says:

hunter1909,

91 points and 16 goals.

10. Jethro Tull says:

Bohologo: I do intend to see MacT’s team when they come to town at some point, if only so I can holler behind the bench “Why’d you put Conklin down for backup in 2006? Why?”

I am sure he will provide me with a highly quotable response, which I will faithfully convey to all those interested here.

If you have to ask the question……

Lol, great post, sounds like fun!

11. Jethro Tull says:

hunter1909:
    IT’S BACK!!!!!!!!! FOR ANOTHER EXCITING, INCREDIBLE SEASON

Hunter1909’s Official 2019-20 Death March™

That’s it!

Tie break: How many goals does JP score for his new Finnish team?

Oilers: 72pts

JP: 50 goals.

12. Ice Sage says:

hunter1909,

Thanks Hunter:

73 points for these woebegone Oilers
    12 goals for JP in Europe!

13. Ice Sage says:

Bohologo:
    “A flight from Edmonton to Yaroslavl (to see Ilya Konovalov) is described as “one day and six hours” although it’s 13.5 Edmonton to Moscow and 5.5 Moscow to Yaroslavl making it a breeze over two days.”

If you can get the Edmonton-Amsterdam direct flight, then connect to Moscow (SVO, preferably), the flight to Russia is not so bad.Connecting through CDG is a nightmare, c’est tres mal!Once you make it to SVO you can easily drive to Yaroslavl, it’s less than 300km on a decent road.If you wind up on a Moscow-Yaroslavl flight that takes more than 30 minutes, the pilot is running up the fare!

The KHL regular season starts here in Russia this week, and Gagarin Cup champs ЦСКА (Red Army) will take on Ak Bars Kazan (a quality club, and Kazan is a really interesting city with a lot going on).KHL hockey games are always a good time: a strict no booze policy means people are on good behaviour (unlike going to a game in Philly, for example), tickets are relatively cheap, the arenas are kid-friendly, and everyone wears jaunty scarves featuring the name and logo of their favourite team as they sing famous songs like “Cowards Don’t Play Hockey.”

(Really, that’s how it goes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Coward_Plays_Hockey)

Here in Moscow you can cheer for ЦСКА (huzzah!), Dinamo (boo!), Spartak (boo!), or Moscow region team Vityaz (would boo if I could find their arena, seriously).It is always fun to jeer Yakupov’s CKA St. Petersburg, because in their skullduggering way, they are the Flames of the KHL.Sorry Yak herders!

watch your tongue, eh?
    (harvey hound reference, not an admonishment!(

14. Woodguy v2.0 says:

*****WARNING SPAM*****

ICYMI:

New Because OIlers:

Projecting Tyler Benson’s 19/20 season using 28 guys who scored at very similar rates to Benson in the AHL as 20 year olds.

*****END SPAM*****

15. dinger says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    *****WARNING SPAM*****

ICYMI:

New Because OIlers:

*****END SPAM*****

I highly recommend checking this out. Lots of data and information on the progression of this player group.

Well done Darcy,

16. Skook says:

hunter1909:
    IT’S BACK!!!!!!!!! FOR ANOTHER EXCITING, INCREDIBLE SEASON

Hunter1909’s Official 2019-20 Death March™

That’s it!

Tie break: How many goals does JP score for his new Finnish team?

I should know better, but if I wasn’t a bit of a Pollyanna, I don’t think I could keep watching the games!

Oilers 102 points
    JP 12 goals

Thanks for doing this!

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Its a bit disapointing not to have any prospects to follow in the OHL or WHL (couple in the Q – Lavoie and Rodrigue) but will be looking forward to keeping track of Europe.

Really excited to see how Konovalov does in his sophomore year – that rookie year of his was really special but I’m always weary of KHL goalie stats – lots and lots of rookie awards last year mind you.

Maxim Denezhkin is starting the year in the MHL and I think they play today.

Of course, the college kids as well to follow.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Last year the AHL TV membership (one team) was US$60 and it was full value in my opinion.

The only issue is the 8pm starts – how late they are and lots of cross-over with Oiler games, however, the streams are pretty good and Ryan Holt does a bang up job on commentary.

No matter which of the prospects are on the NHL team, there will be lots of “real prospects” to follow in the Bake.

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Good call on Michael Kesselring – Staples and McCurdy raved about him at development camp – stated that, if you were told he was the new first round pick, noone would have questioned it.

He was a giant last year but, from accounts, filled out and is just a mountain of a man now.

Miles to go and its too bad we can’t see any of the college kids at rookie or main camp but that’s the deal.

20. hunter1909 says:

@ Munny:

Sent a donation to the site. Seems to be working.

21. LadiesloveSmid says:

81 points for Edmonton

21 goals for Jesse

22. defmn says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    *****WARNING SPAM*****

ICYMI:

New Because OIlers:

*****END SPAM*****

Nothing to add that hasn’t already been said by many. Just wanted to add my name to the list of those who really enjoyed and appreciated this.

23. DieHard says:

Hunter. I will say 85 points and Jesse scores 10 goals.
    Thank you.

I ‘m waitng for Connor to take a stride on Edmonton ice before making a prediction. You guys are a bold lot.

The following doubles as a marching song for Hunter’s Death March
    ————————————————————————————-
    It’s a long way to #Tippettary. It’s a long way to go.

25. jp says:

Nice post LT. It’s going to be fun to follow all these prospects, and so nice that the pipeline looks to be in a good place.

On Mazura, isn’t he headed back to prep for another year before starting college? He’s pretty much the wild card of wild cards given his level of comp. No clue what he really is.

26. 106 and 106 says:

Hey Hunter 🙂

Thanks again!

86 Points
    13 Goals for JP (then signing in Edmonton)

27. OriginalPouzar says:

stephensheps:
    Glovjuice,

Of course I used the “I’m not sure that means what you think it means” line as a joke, calling back to the old timey poster “Steve Smith” who used it often back in the day. OP is gonna do his thing, I’ll do mine. We’ll continue rarely engaging with each other and call it a day.

Not to derail but I just wanted to follow up on last night briefly as I sense some adversarial tone.

My post that mentioned “superseded”, meant to say “supplemented” – I had (and have) no intention of replacing anything anyone else posts about.

My post was merely meant to advise loosely that the new seasons are starting across the world and I’m looking forward to posting updates on how the prospects are doing in various leagues. Some appreciate the quantity more than others.

I have no issue at all with Stephen but i sense a bit of an issue with me given the tone, or have I’ve inferred the tone, of the above post.

No worries if you do but I mean and meant no ill will.

28. jp says:

Jethro Tull:

JP: 50 goals.

That would be something!

29. jp says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    *****WARNING SPAM*****

ICYMI:

New Because OIlers:

*****END SPAM*****

Thanks for this.

Are you going to follow the group a few seasons out to give a peek at Benson’s likely upside?

30. stephen sheps says:

OriginalPouzar,

nope, no tone policing intended and no ill will either – just letting Glovjuice know I was joking at the time since he suspected otherwise. nothing to worry about on my end.

The truth is we that don’t engage much with each other, but since I rarely comment these days outside of the Yak report and the rare occasions the blog veers towards music, food or whisky, I don’t engage much with anyone here anymore. Twiter DMs have become more my speed. Yesterday’s extended visit was a spam-induced outlier.

31. jonrmcleod says:

godot10,

Please explain #Tippettary. I missed the origin of this.

32. Jethro Tull says:

jp: That would be something!

I believe in you.

33. Spartacus says:

hunter1909,

Oilers: 90 points

Jesse: 9 goals (traded back to the NHL in December)

34. flyfish1168 says:

With the offseason add on and better overall team speed I do believe we are good enough for 92 points and just barely miss or make the playoffs.

But I do believe the Phlegms will retrace do to krachuk salary demands, an ageing gio and to many players had career years on that team last year.

JP 17 goals

35. knighttown says:

I’ll take 75 points and 4 goals for JP (trade to TB)

36. Ryan says:

*** breaking the don’t carry over a topic from the old thread rule ***

Fun discussion from the last thread, sorry LT. Don’t have time to add much yet.

Georgexs,

There’s a lot to unpack here and I have to go to work. 🙂

First, my comment about producing at 5v5 being the hardest aspect of the game is something I’ve gleaned from reading this blog. While I’m a believer of that concept, it was never my idea.

You’ve made a point in a sense. Points per 60 can definitely look silly if you’re using an arbitrary 10 game cut off. A guy like Zykov can go on a run and score 7 points in 10 games in limited minutes, but you’re never going to see a Zykov play and tear the cover off the ball for 22 minutes per game during a 10 game stretch. He’s never going to see the ice that much nor be able to play those minutes effectively.

Clearly, there’s a requisite sample size required if you’re using points/60. It’s also important to look at that scoring rate in the context of other seasons. I’ll concede to you that points/60 is a terrible stat over a small sample size. I’ll also concede that there’s something to be said of producing at a point rate per 60 for 10 minutes per game vs 17 minutes plus.

On the same token, points per game can suffer from its own issues. On poor teams with lack of depth, players like Chiasson can play up the lineup both at evens on the first power-play units thereby inflating their minutes at evens at PP and inflating their points per game.

The best players in the game play the most minutes on their teams and get the most powerplay minutes. That’s going to show up in points / game. It also gives a large sample size which I’ve acknowledged.

In my previous comment, I mentioned something to the point of needing to separate out the ‘fluke years’ which at first glance, you’ve got a long list of players with “fluke years” reflected in their points/60 from 10 game or more samples.

From a forecasting perspective, given that points/game also incorporates the valuable toi/g info while points/60 does not, I can agree that it’s a more useful stat.

Gotta run.

37. M00se1197 says:

97 points and JP will get 11 goals.

38. YKOil says:

Kronwall retires. The joy of Cap space – does Detroit:

– use the space to pick up an asset like Gusev (or JP)
    – wait for a more opportune moment (deadline maneuver)
    – pick up a guy like Gardiner on a long-term deal (knowing they have a bunch of spots opening up next year)
    – pick up a guy like Gardiner on a 1-year deal (flipping him at the deadline for high-end picks and prospects – this also allows Gardiner to look for a longer-term deal next year)

Interesting stuff.

39. slopitch says:

ArmchairGM:

Hard to say what JPs value is now other than its not much. Its also hard to say how much a good season in the Finish league would do to improve it. Id think quite a lot. He’d still be young, fast, big and an argument could be made that he just lost confidence (assuming he rebounds).

If Kaprisov is a target, Id add Denisenko to the list too.

40. slopitch says:

YKOil:
    Kronwall retires.The joy of Cap space – does Detroit:

– use the space to pick up an asset like Gusev (or JP)
    – wait for a more opportune moment (deadline maneuver)

Interesting stuff.

Someone is gonna get a deal on Gardiner. The Detroit sign and flip is a good option for Detroit. Not horrible for Gardiner either given he likely isnt gonna get a massive payday at this point in the offseason.

41. Darth Tu says:

hunter1909:
    From a forecasting perspective, given that points/game also incorp

Put me down for 31 JP goals in Europe.

85 Oilers points.

42. slopitch says:

Hunter: I am gonna see which forward Holland adds in the next 10 days before I submit my prediction 🙂

43. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

How have you not written an article solely devoted to Cooper Marody’s musical career yet? 17,000 monthly listeners on a Spotify is nothing to sneeze at!

44. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

hunter1909,

Oilers get 84 points

JP scores 11 back home.

45. OriginalPouzar says:

Nice little rush by Markus Niemeläinen

46. OriginalPouzar says:

Leavins continues to talk about Brodz and his back being an issue last year and likely still is.

Suggests LTIR a legit option.

I really hope that, if he’s not on the roster, the organization goes with an assignment to the AHL as opposed to LTIR – even if that’s just paper as its much better for cap management. All but a very nominal amount will come off the cap. It doesn’t really matter to anyone except maybe Katz (paying the salary vs. potential insurance paying if on LTIR).

47. Jethro Tull says:

As I was mulling over the JP situation, a thought came to me that were I ken, I wouldn’t have allowed JP to play in Europe. Here’s why:

There’s no way I’d want a very disgruntled employee loaned out into a potential draft pool, especially one that’s not afraid to talk about it. And it’d be with his fellow native Finn speakers, so no ‘lost in translation’ there. Usually you’d keep anyone like that away from other youngsters. The vets are long enough in the tooth to realize these things happen, but if there’s a kid there thinking “I hope it’s not the Oilers” come draft day……

I think it’s a testament to what a person of integrity – trying to do best by all parties – Ken is, no matter what else I may think of him. I hope JP has the maturity to realize how lucky he is not to have a GM that would bury him somewhere out of spite. JP can show this by just concentrating on hockey and replying “no comment” to any questions about his time in Edmonton.

I believe if JP is indeed traded before December, it will have more to do with him proving he can be professional off the ice than displaying the talent he evidently has.

48. Durag says:

hunter1909,

88 and 22 my good man

49. digger50 says:

Bohologo,

Great post!

50. Material Elvis says:

Jethro Tull:
    As I was mulling over the JP situation, a thought came to me that were I ken, I wouldn’t have allowed JP to play in Europe.Here’s why:

There’s no way I’d want a very disgruntled employee loaned out into a potential draft pool, especially one that’s not afraid to talk about it.And it’d be with his fellow native Finn speakers, so no ‘lost in translation’ there.Usually you’d keep anyone like that away from other youngsters.The vets are long enough in the tooth to realize these things happen, but if there’s a kid there thinking “I hope it’s not the Oilers” come draft day……

I think it’s a testament to what a person of integrity – trying to do best by all parties – Ken is, no matter what else I may think of him.I hope JP has the maturity to realize how lucky he is not to have a GM that would bury him somewhere out of spite.JP can show this by just concentrating on hockey and replying “no comment” to any questions about his time in Edmonton.

He is an RFA so you cannot stop him from signing in Europe.

51. Munny says:

Jethro Tull,

Holland doesn’t get a choice in the matter.

52. Munny says:

Following up on an idea put forth by Gerta…

If people would care to donate $1—or whatever they like— to Hunter’s site to mitigate his Death March costs, he has confirmed his PayPal is working. It can be found here:

There is no obligation. But it would be helpful..

53. Jethro Tull says:

Material Elvis,

Munny,

Okay, thanks.

54. Professor Q says:

YKOil:
    Kronwall retires.The joy of Cap space – does Detroit:

– use the space to pick up an asset like Gusev (or JP)
    – wait for a more opportune moment (deadline maneuver)

Interesting stuff.

Why would New Jersey trade Gusev?

55. Offside says:

I wonder how many times JP read (or heard) about the Oilers (rightly or wrongly) being the main reason so many highly touted prospects failed and then assumed his lack of production must not have been his fault

56. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:
    So LT, Lavoie won’t be able to play AHL until next year, right?

Yup – he’s a bit older so will be eligible for the AHL in his draft plus 2 year – many CHL drafted prospects aren’t eligible until draft plus 3 (Rodrigue currently, Eberle in the past, etc.).

57. OriginalPouzar says:

Maxim Denezhkin scores in his first game of the year for Loko Yaroslave in the MHL!

58. Darth Tu says:

OriginalPouzar:

There are too many games to follow at the moment! Thank you for the updates.

59. pts2pndr says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:

How have you not written an article solely devoted to Cooper Marody’s musical career yet?17,000 monthly listeners on a Spotify is nothing to sneeze at!

It could be called Marody’s musical melodies 😂

60. Oil2Oilers says:

As hockey season approaches I have taken the step to block Oilersnation articles. This is not because of content but delivery. Pop up auto play video adds in tumb nail format that scroll with you that are hard to impossible to close are not welcome in my life.

61. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Hunter’s contest is gaining steam, so I’ve compiled the results of my “Hunter Inspired” off-season ArmChair GM contest: “What will the Oilers do this off-season

Recall here were the questions:

1) Who is the Oiler’s first pick?
    2) Who is the Oilers GM?
    3) Who is the Oilers Coach?
    4) How many draft and develop players make the roster opening night from existing AHL playoff roster/Europe/College/Draft pick, etc
    5) What team is Lucic on next year?
    6) What team is Pool on next year?
    7) Which of Sek, Larsson, Benning, Nurse, Klef, Russell aren’t on open game line-up?
    8) Number of roster player for roster player(s) trades? Bonus for calling it
    9) Biggest off-season free-agent signing (by salary)
    10) Who is Koski’s back-up game 1?
    11) Which members of “OBC” sail on ?

– We had 50+ entries:

– A few findings: Ben called Holland as GM, no one else predicted either Holland or Tippett.

– Greenshifter picked Broberg as #1 pick

– So many picked Howson , less Sutter Green, and only a few MacT to be gone (it was mostly Howson + MacT +)

– Half called Lucic and Pool staying (no one called Flames and Finland!, but special mention to Sheps for calling Pool to KHL close)

– Ben also called Sek (lots of Benning and/or Russell)

– Lucic for Neal was biggest trade: no one called it (or had Neal on roster)

– Smith was the biggest off-season free agent signing (and goalie, no one called)

– So I’m not waiting to see which of Maroday/Benson/Bouchard etc make it on opening day roster and declaring Ben the winner winner, chicken dinner

– Some moves from OBC. A GM and coach that wasn’t in the cards. Not much player movement (but no Pool, and Lucic gone), Sek was the surprise D departure.

* – And LT gets a donation to his awesome site: keep doing what your doing, nice work Ben!

GOILERS!!!

62. YKOil says:

OriginalPouzar:

Suggests LTIR a legit option.

I really hope that, if he’s not on the roster, the organization goes with an assignment to the AHL as opposed to LTIR – even if that’s just paper as its much better for cap management. All but a very nominal amount will come off the cap.It doesn’t really matter to anyone except maybe Katz (paying the salary vs. potential insurance paying if on LTIR).

Trade him to Toronto; they can use the extra space for Marner?

That would make me laugh actually. Everyone being so smart and all.

63. YKOil says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Well done Ben!

64. Bruce McCurdy says:

Jethro Tull: And it’d be with his fellow native Finn speakers, so no ‘lost in translation’ there. Usually you’d keep anyone like that away from other youngsters.

Reporter, to Jari Kurri: What exactly is Tikkanen saying out there?
    Kurri (deadpan): I have no idea.

65. Scungilli Slushy says:

Jethro Tull:

Making trades he has to change the pattern and probably league wide feeling that the oilers are the dollar store for players and will also take your unwanted junk. He has to show it’s over and he’s calling the shots.

He has to restore the credibility of the org to players around the league after years of bad things happening to the team and it’s players.

He also wants to win in the short term (which will cure a lot of issues) and build for the future domination.

So far he’s shown his experience as best as we could hope outside of robbing another GM, but that goes back to my first point.

66. Jethro Tull says:

Bruce McCurdy: Reporter, to Jari Kurri: What exactly is Tikkanen saying out there?
    Kurri (deadpan): I have no idea.

Lol, Esa doesn’t hold back!

67. OriginalPouzar says:

godot:
    I ‘m waitng for Connor to take a stride on Edmonton ice before making a prediction.You guys are a bold lot.

The following doubles as a marching song for Hunter’s Death March
    ————————————————————————————-
    It’s a long way to #Tippettary.It’s a long way to go.

He has been skating for two months – I believe some of those skates were indeed in Edmonton.

Yes, of course, we are all “anxious” to see him on the ice in a more formal setting and without any limitation (no contact jersey, etc.).

68. Jethro Tull says:

Scungilli Slushy: One thing that I think of regarding Holland is how many balls he’s juggling in any move he makes.

Something else I thought about that seems to have slipped through the net:

A while back, a spunky, upbeat new GM of a failing team came out and said (paraphrasing) “they wanted to build a perennial contender – not just squeak into the play-offs.” They wanted to be like the Detroit’s of the league; not just make the play-offs, but own the season before, too. So he looked around at other failing teams that had become very successful. The Penguins and the ‘Hawks. “What happened to them that needs to happen to us?” he mused. “They sucked and got high draft picks. But it took a long time. Maybe we can speed it up by sucking on purpose – garner those high draft picks, and when the time is right, burst out of the gate and destroy the league for the next ten years again! Gosh, I’m good.”

But what our peppy GM overlooked was that those teams didn’t suck on purpose and were still trying their best to sign quality support players that could augment the young studs coming through the system, not hinder them. If you couldn’t skate with the young guns and help them, you weren’t part of the team.

This GM thought that you built a team that goes from near last to one of the best in one easy step. As soon as the studs are ready, you flip the “win now” switch. Who was it and which team?

Fast forward to 2018/19. The Oilers are terrible with the the world’s best player and one of the league’s best goal scorers playing for them. Although cap stunted, it would take some creative solutions to some problems only becoming evident in the cap era. Do we have our players in place to support Connor and Drai?

I won’t start again on the deals Ken made this off-season. Lucic deal was a master stroke, credit to him. The rest were ranging from vaguely puzzling to WTF (buying out Sekera and spending it on Chiasson being right up there when hoping that 1 or 2 or even maybe 3, injury forbid, inexperienced NHL D can shoulder the team).

To me, you concentrate on your own balls (ahem) before asking someone to chuck another one at you. But i can’t help feeling we’ve seen this show before…..and are somehow hoping for the director’s cut alternate ending.

69. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

OriginalPouzar,

– Did you see him limping a few weeks ago? No contact this late is a reg-flag

– There could be some really good long-term positives if there is a McD absence in this consensus non-playoff year:

1) Drai has to C his own line
    2) RNH has to C his own line
    3) Chance for some wingers to gel with one of the 2 C’s
    4) Oil get a sense of “how far” they have to go to improve their non-CmD division, in real time
    5) More PP for some which will result in more scoring chances for them than otherwise
    6) Team has opportunity to be more “focused” knowing their stud is out for a bit

– Having Drai C his own line is so important IMO. They are crack for all the coaches so far: but they need to quit that sh%t if they want to win Cups. Drai as a stud C needs chem with wingers.

– They don’t win cup with Drai and CmD playing 15 minutes together a night, so who cares about the extra games they win this season by playing together. Build the team right, find them wingers

70. Primetime says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Lot’s of comments and speculation by media/fans on what they HAVEN’T seen McDavid do. Any comments on what they actually HAVE seen that may actually have some fact/truth to it?

Was there not a poster on here a few weeks ago that saw Connor on the ice prior to their men’s league game in Toronto and he supposedly looked great? Who was that again? Could you confirm?

Rather here about from someone who actually saw him, rather than the multitudes making proclamations about something they didn’t see.

71. Nit64 says:

Material Elvis: He is an RFA so you cannot stop him from signing in Europe.

~ Too bad the Oil aren’t allowed to match the contract he signed ~

72. geowal says:

jonrmcleod:
    godot10,

Please explain #Tippettary. I missed the origin of this.

73. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Jethro Tull,

– Yeah I can’t be convinced that Sek buy-out was smart, any/all of below:

1) If he sucked again this year, you buy him out for less next year
    2) Maybe he is unable to play and he “retires”
    3) With all the D coming up, their salaries are less than $900K so not a cap hit, even if he sucks
    4) its a big drain for multiple years of dead cap
    5) maybe he improves and you trade him later for less retained than the buy-out +

– Seemed like the Sek buy-out was in anticipation of another move that didn’t happen then suddenly they re-upped Chiasson who was not even discussed at all, just so they wouldn’t look like they weren’t doing anything. Chiasson could have been signed weeks later IMO (like Maroon)

74. Side says:

Someone saw McDavid limping? Was it at Cactus Club?

75. OriginalPouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Nice little rush by Markus Niemeläinen

Jokke Nevalainen
    @JokkeNevalainen
    2h
    Niemeläinen played a total of 21:05 in this game – almost a minute more than anyone else on the team and 2.5 minutes more than the next defenseman on the list.

The Oilers lose his rights if they don’t sign him next summer, so this season is his last chance to impress them.

76. SwedishPoster says:

Was checking Skellefteås official website to see if they had anything new on the two Oil prospects, they didn’t, but they presented a new signing with some short comments from the GM, nothing strange about that really but at the end of the article it said ”if you have any questions call Erik Forsell, GM” followed by his cellphone number. Never seen anything like it.
    Imagine if next week there’s an article on new signing Riley Sheahan with comments from Holland and his number at the end. Imagine Chia making his number public after one of his sexy trades.

My guess is someone copy pasted the press release and forgot to remove the number.

77. Munny says:

Jethro Tull: and are somehow hoping for the director’s cut alternate ending.

That’s a great line, btw

78. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Primetime,

– I saw him in Toronto about 7 weeks ago walking “gingerly” And there was a video of him doing so. Skating on own is fine, given the injury (which isn’t that serous) and you can control skating alone what you do and don’t do. I’m sure he’s looking deadly alone on ice like that guy who saw him skate alone said

– He will be fine, but ought to take time big-time. Send wake-up call to what non CmD looks like

– He’s not ready, and well behind optimal, or what he’s done in previous years, else the MSM would be told so, and they would be talking about how he’s in the best shape of his life, etc…

79. Leroy Draisdale says:

SwedishPoster,

Maybe you should call it and ask about Berglund and Broberg!

80. SwedishPoster says:

Leroy Draisdale:
    SwedishPoster,

Maybe you should call it and ask about Berglund and Broberg!

I’m just waiting until 4 AM. Have to catch him off guard…

81. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

hunter1909

Despite always trying to be optimistic – please put me down for

Oilers 78 pts

Puljujarvi 14 goals

82. v4ance says:

hunter1909,

I’m very optimistically putting the Oilers for 86 points and JP for 7 goals!

83. OriginalPouzar says:

YKOil:
    Kronwall retires.The joy of Cap space – does Detroit:

– use the space to pick up an asset like Gusev (or JP)
    – wait for a more opportune moment (deadline maneuver)

Interesting stuff.

Apologies if I’m not understanding the point, however, I don’t think this effects DET and their cap for this year. Kronwall was a UFA and not taking up a roster spot or providing any cap hit prior to the announcement.

The are at the same 22 player roster with under $5M space as they were prior.

If they were thinking about re-signing him, he would have been their “last roster spot” acquisition – although they’d probably remove a d-man from their projected roster and add a forward for the more traditional 14/8/2 split – that would have been minor cap implications though.

84. Leroy Draisdale says:

SwedishPoster,

I like the cut of your jib my good man!

geowal: I guess we’re both closer to understanding the play on words. I still don’t know if it’s a positive or negative comment re: Tippett

Think of #Tippettary as an undiscovered country. It might be “heaven”, or it might be “hell.” Or another five years in “limbo”. i.e. TBD.

But considering I am using a marching song from the first World War…a soldier marching off to one of the worst wars in history for a front line soldier, fondling thinking of his girlfriend back in #Tippettary…I am preparing for the worst.

86. Side says:

godot10: Think of #Tippettary as an undiscovered country.It might be “heaven”, or it might be “hell.” Or another five years in “limbo”. i.e. TBD.

So you’re potentially saying it may be a long way to go until it gets to “hell”.

Or it may be a long way to go until we get to the same point we are now?

I don’t think I follow.

87. Woodguy v2.0 says:

dinger,

defmn,

Thanks!

jp: Thanks for this.

No plans for that.

Now that you mention it…..maybe.

88. Ryan says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    OriginalPouzar,

– Did you see him limping a few weeks ago?No contact this late is a reg-flag

1) Drai has to C his own line
    2) RNH has to C his own line
    3) The chance for some wingers to gel with one of the 2 C’s
    4) Oil get a sense of “how far” they have to go to improve their non-CmD division, in real-time
    6) Team has the opportunity to be more “focused” knowing their stud is out for a bit

– Having Drai C his own line is so important IMO. They are crack for all the coaches so far: but they need to quit that sh%t if they want to win Cups.Drai as a stud C needs chem with wingers.

– They don’t win the cup with Drai and CmD playing 15 minutes together a night, so who cares about the extra games they win this season by playing together. Build the team right, find them, wingers

That would really set the table for some Dave Tippett hockey, wouldn’t it?

I almost never watched the Oilers play Arizona during his tenure because I knew they’d lose and the game would be unwatchable. Maybe it’s more exciting when you’re on the other end of it.

89. hunter1909 says:

IT’S BACK!!!!!!!!! FOR ANOTHER EXCITING, INCREDIBLE SEASON FREE TO ENTER + PLAY

Hunter1909’s Official 2019-20 Death March™

That’s it!

Tie break: How many goals does JP score for his new Finnish team?

90. Harpers Hair says:

Ryan: That would really set the table for some Dave Tippett hockey, wouldn’t it?

Any injury or fatigue will quickly sewer the season.

91. Harpers Hair says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    dinger,

defmn,

Thanks!

No plans for that.

Now that you mention it…..maybe.

Would read.

92. OriginalPouzar says:

JethroTull:

Holland and the Oilers had no choice. Jesse doesn’t have a contract and is free to sign in other leagues. There is nothing stopping the Oilers from doing so. He isn’t being loaned.

This isn’t like Joel Persson last year who signed a contract with the Oilers and then was loaned to his team in Sweden (and the Oiler contract year burning).

93. Ryan says:

Harpers Hair: Three lines hanging on for dear life in hopes Connor can outscore is not a recipe for success.
    Any injury or fatigue will quickly sewer the season.

How do you play the bottom three lines that are bereft of talent and scoring?

The trap is harder to execute with the current rules (no 2 line pass rule, goalie trapezoid rule).

The Oilers have been a tale of two teams–one with Connor on the ice and the other with him on the bench.

94. McNuge93 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Jethro Tull,

– Yeah I can’t be convinced that Sek buy-out was smart, any/all of below:

1) If he sucked again this year, you buy him out for less next year
    2) Maybe he is unable to play and he “retires”
    4) its a big drain for multiple years of dead cap

– Seemed like the Sek buy-out was in anticipation of another move that didn’t happen then suddenly they re-upped Chiasson who was not even discussed at all, just so they wouldn’t look like they weren’t doing anything.Chiasson could have been signed weeks later IMO (like Maroon)

Ya, I think I’m ok with the Sek buyout but may have been smarter not to sign Chiasson and keep that cap space in Holland’s pocket. I have a feeling that with teams at or near the cap and RFAs yet to be signed there are going to be some bargains available to teams with cap space.

95. OriginalPouzar says:

YKOil: Trade him to Toronto – they can use the extra space for Marner?

That would make me laugh actually.Everyone being so smart and all.

Not an unreasonable option if he’s truly “done” – could potentially get a late pick back for the addition LTIR cushion “gift”.

Yes, I know, I am so against team’s using LTIR if they are looking to contend and improve during the year but TO is clearly using a huge LTIR relief cushion, the more the merrier for them I guess.

96. OriginalPouzar says:

BruceMcCurdy: Reporter, to Jari Kurri: What exactly is Tikkanen saying out there?
    Kurri (deadpan): I have no idea.

Esa didn’t speak Finish, he speak “Tikkanese”.

97. OriginalPouzar says:

KingerOilredux:
    Jethro Tull,

– Yeah I can’t be convinced that Sek buy-out was smart, any/all of below:

1) If he sucked again this year, you buy him out for less next year
    2) Maybe he is unable to play and he “retires”
    4) its a big drain for multiple years of dead cap

To your earlier post/reply, nope, I certainly didn’t see McDavid limping. If there was actual video of that, I’m quite confident I would have seen it. All I know is he’s not skating in a near end of summer camp that is mainly a marketing/PR camp, in order to provide apx 2-3 more weeks of rest/healing time. I will not catastrophize unless he’s not participating fully in on-ice camp skates.

I don’t disagree with some of the points in the post above but some I do disagree with and don’t jive with how the cap would work.

I was (am against) the Sekera buyout but it was not “in the name of Chiasson”, it was to provide a few extra million dollars in general, to be in the market for signings, trades and in-season cap management. I wish there was another way found to open up some space but space was required and I see why they used the LD depth.

One major issue would be if Sekera was “unable to play”. I don’t think he would retired and throw away the millions of salary from the last year of his contract. He’s go on LTIR and that would be horrible for cap management (for the rest of this year and for building not off-season and during next year).

Further, if he is unable to play, he is not able to be bought out – leading to the egregious further LTIR situation.

98. unca miltie says:

hunter1909:
    IT’S BACK!!!!!!!!! FOR ANOTHER EXCITING, INCREDIBLE SEASON FREE TO ENTER + PLAY

Hunter1909’s Official 2019-20 Death March™

That’s it!

Tie break: How many goals does JP score for his new Finnish team?

love it that you are doing this again. Thanks. I am waiting for Holland to finish the team before I stick my neck out and make my overly optimistic prediction. October will be here soon. Lots of opportunities will be around as teams try to become cap compliant.

99. pts2pndr says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Jethro Tull,

– Yeah I can’t be convinced that Sek buy-out was smart, any/all of below:

1) If he sucked again this year, you buy him out for less next year
    2) Maybe he is unable to play and he “retires”
    4) its a big drain for multiple years of dead cap

When you take into consideration the actual time line of the buyout and the players that could be bought out to get the required winger(s) required Hollands options were limited. I believe Holland did not want to go into the season with over nine million in cap space tied up for two third pairing left shot D. I do not believe he had anything definite on the July 19th trade of Lucic for Neal when he made the decision to exercise the buyout of Sekera. Once the Lucic deal was consummated it changed the priority to acquire a scoring winger for the top six at least to a certain extent. While I do not necessarily agree with the resigning of Chaisson, it is cost effective insurance. He was I believe unwilling to pay the bigger dollar contracts for a free agent signing that came with high risk. Overall in my opinion Holland has done a very good job given what he had to work with. Time will tell and it should be an interesting year in Oilerville.

100. OriginalPouzar says:

The organization’s public advise is that McDavid’s recovery is inline with the original recovery schedule which has him on the ice fully recovered for training camp.

7 weeks ago is 2 months from that time – not concerned about a limp noticed by a fan.

Biosteel camp is 3 weeks from that time – not concerned about not participating in an on-ice camp that is mainly marketing and PR.

The organization could be “pulling the blinds down over our eyes”, sure, however, unless I hear otherwise, I will take not be concerned.

101. OriginalPouzar says:

LeroyDraisdale:
    SwedishPoster,

Maybe you should call it and ask about Berglund and Broberg!

I was very encouraged by Broberg’s top of team ice time in the two games this weekend. Champions League is NOT exhibition.

102. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan: True, but then again I’m not sure that there is a recipe for success with this roster. Those bottom two lines look like a dog’s breakfast and there are not enough top six players to make two outscoring lines.

How do you play the bottom three lines that are bereft of talent and scoring?

I wouldn’t consider a 2nd line of Nuge, Neal and Benson bereft of talent and scoring. There are two “bets” there but neithr Benson nor Neal are bereft of talent.

Granlund, Archibald, Gagner, Khaira, Chiasson, etc. – legit NHL players – a few of which may be on the fourth line due to “depth of options”.

The third line may have issue, potentially, but I’m confident in a strong fourth line.

Marody being legit NHL ready would make the bottom 6 look potentially good.

My opinion – clearly more optimistic.

103. OriginalPouzar says:

From Gregor:

Gulutzan: It’s good to have these players who can play centre, but for me JJ is a winger. He’s a big body, he’s so strong along the walls, and he’s got the reach. I just like him as a winger. I’d like him to be set free a little bit and be in on the forecheck. This is an intimidating guy out there, I know from coaching against him, it’s somebody you’re aware of. He’s a big, heavy guy and when he hits you, he hits through you so I think he’s a winger.

But then again it’s so valuable to have those guys that can pitch you innings at centre ice and take some draws if things aren’t going well. I also think JJ is just scratching the surface, and there is going to be a big step ahead for him

———————————–

Come on Cooper – win that 3C spot on merit.

104. Scungilli Slushy says:

Jethro Tull: Something else I thought about that seems to have slipped through the net:

A while back, a spunky, upbeat new GM of a failing team came out and said (paraphrasing) “they wanted to build a perennial contender – not just squeak into the play-offs.” They wanted to be like the Detroit’s of the league; not just make the play-offs, but own the season before, too.So he looked around at other failing teams that had become very successful.The Penguins and the ‘Hawks.“What happened to them that needs to happen to us?” he mused.“They sucked and got high draft picks. But it took a long time.Maybe we can speed it up by sucking on purpose – garner those high draft picks, and when the time is right, burst out of the gate and destroy the league for the next ten years again! Gosh, I’m good.”

But what our peppy GM overlooked was that those teams didn’t suck on purpose and were still trying their best to sign quality support players that could augment the young studs coming through the system, not hinder them.If you couldn’t skate with the young guns and help them, you weren’t part of the team.

This GM thought that you built a team that goes from near last to one of the best in one easy step.As soon as the studs are ready, you flip the “win now” switch.Who was it and which team?

Fast forward to 2018/19.The Oilers are terrible with the the world’s best player and one of the league’s best goal scorers playing for them. Although cap stunted, it would take some creative solutions to some problems only becoming evident in the cap era.Do we have our players in place to support Connor and Drai?

I won’t start again on the deals Ken made this off-season.Lucic deal was a master stroke, credit to him.The rest were ranging from vaguely puzzling to WTF (buying out Sekera and spending it on Chiasson being right up there when hoping that 1 or 2 or even maybe 3, injury forbid, inexperienced NHL D can shoulder the team).

To me, you concentrate on your own balls (ahem) before asking someone to chuck another one at you.But i can’t help feeling we’ve seen this show before…..and are somehow hoping for the director’s cut alternate ending.

I don’t know who that was.

I agree every season starts with a ‘new’ start, and for us after years of guessing the ending many are cynical about the whole thing.

I’m not as down on the signings because the player types are different, I think the player evaluation is better, that remains to be seen.

Chiasson is a head scratcher however a good right shot, plays the system and most importantly is well liked, which goes to the making a statement to players piece about keeping and rewarding players that did something for the team, in the face of no better options. I also don’t see any movement clauses so there’s that.

But yes the team remains underwhelming. And has a real battle to make playoffs. They also have a lot of potential and the stupid at the top has stopped as I see it.

105. Harpers Hair says:

How do you play the bottom three lines that are bereft of talent and scoring?

Take him off the ice and you have the worst team in the league.

106. Scungilli Slushy says:

What is Connor comes back healed well but Tippet is told not to play him excessively, and he doesn’t, and the rest of the team rallies around him, instead of going into TSN Highlights of the Night zombie mode watching him, and actually do their jobs?

Geezer fans may remember this story from Gretzky days. There is a natural tendency for others to sit back a bit when playing with a force of nature.

Connor playing 20 or under, and unless a goal is seriously needed, no PK which is a stupid old school macho man way to motivate the other troops IMO and a serious injury risk blocking shots, may actually be a good thing long term for the good guys.

Spread the feeling of ownership.

107. Scungilli Slushy says:

Harpers Hair: Take him off the ice and you have the worst team in the league.

To be fair you need to take the other team’s best player off too and then compare, right?

Who are these teams that are so loaded up? Last year Caps Bolts Sharks and Flames were no brainers to many. What happened?

It’s wide open this season folks. The cap and age came to call.

108. OriginalPouzar says:

Really good to see the video of the “informal skates” today an so may kids and veterans on the ice.

So tough for me to be so busy at work at this point as I just don’t have time to check in on all the updates throughout the day. Haas and Nygard were on the ice and I haven’t had a chance to see if anyone knows how they looked and I see they both gave verbals and I haven’t had a chance to listen to.

Oh well, night time is time to catch up in between file work. Busy is good considering the last 5 years of my practice.

Was good to see the likes of Neal and Nuge and Bear, Skinner, etc. on the ice.

109. Wilde says:

I guess I should drop the info from my twitter thread that gave some context to the AHL season Benson had that Woodguy used in that peer group inquiry:

figured i could hop in here to address an important question the crowd might have about benson’s ahl season-

so, one of the ways that the player could have a greater chance to underperform in this peer study would be if the ahl stint was juiced in some way

by variance, deployment, etc; to what degree did they run hot and to what degree was their success sponsored by a sympathetic coach

first, deployment: the Condors ‘top-six’ would run a vet skill line of Gambardella – Malone – Russell, and a young skill line from the pool of Marody, Hebig, Benson, Currie, Yamamoto

so one could have a reasonable concern that a large portion of the available offensive situations were dumped onto that line Benson was on – and this would be a legit and probably optimal strategy of deployment!

however, for clues about this from my tracking i like to look at which players are disproportionately high-event (slanted to CF/60) and that’s not the case with Benson, his ranking in shots against per 60 (6th of 14) is worse than his CF/60 (3rd of 14) and his total shot events are 5th of 14

and, given that a typical linemate like Currie ran numbers like 1st in CF and 13th in CA, it seems more likely that a ton of minutes were dumped into the Benson – Marody – Currie and Benson – Currie – Hebig lines pretty much indiscriminately.

moving on to question number two – how hot did Benson run at 5-on-5?

this is obviously much simpler to answer: his individual contribution rate (ind. shots + primary shot assists) outranked his primary point ranking: 2nd of 14 regular forwards to 4th of 14, respectively

so, basically there are plenty of parallel universes where Benson performs just as well as he did in ours. (fin)

(oh also, the sample size tracked for Benson is 46 games)

110. northerndancer says:

hunter1909:
    IT’S BACK!!!!!!!!! FOR ANOTHER EXCITING, INCREDIBLE SEASON FREE TO ENTER + PLAY

Hunter1909’s Official 2019-20 Death March™

That’s it!

Tie break: How many goals does JP score for his new Finnish team?

Hunter, thanks for doing this again. I threw this out the other night in a bit of a foggy blather so here it is again…eternally optimistic and confident that the bettman crapshoot will finally roll our way and sideburns will return to vogue.

101 points and JP at 19 before he returns heroically to lead the oil to the finals of the stanley cup. Final results to follow.

111. Wilde says:

[I should also add that the underperformance of points to shots and shot assists could be bad! It could be a stable, repeatable under-conversion, plenty of players run those throughout their career. We’ll see.]

112. northerndancer says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Spread the feeling of ownership.

Word…from a geezer

113. Rebillled says:

Theres a film set in Ireland in 1847 called Black ’47 on Netflix. Hugo Weaving.

‘Shoulda kept your powder dry.’ is a sp-oiler line from it.

114. rickithebear says:

Harpers Hair: Take him off the ice and you have the worst team in the league.

A Top GA teams has won a cup being #28 gf team in last 10 seasons.

40% more top GA teams make final 8 than top GF teams.

1. Top HD area def coach
    Tipett

2. Top 10 open HD save% goalie
    Smith has multiple top 5 yrs.

3. 3+ top HD or Closed corsi def Dmen.
    2 pairs would be prefered.
    Manning #1 evga/60 dman 15-16 to 17-18
    Larsson #2 evga/60 dman 15-16 to 17-18
    Benning top 40 HD dman
    Russell #1 Closed corsi Dman

We may not make playoffs cause of (Mcdavid 31 + Drai playing without Mcd 10 evg) 41 less evg on top.
    But Neal a potential 18-20 evg would replace a portion of Mcdavids 31 in top 5.
    Now we are down 22 evg.
    We got 38 from bottom 7.2 last year.

Could we get 22 more evg (60) than than 38 from our bottom 7.2 fwd 590gm
    Nygard 22G NHLe playing top 6 fwd winger minutes
    Archibald #51 RW 12 evg playing 3RW
    Granlund #60 LW 10 evg playing 3LW
    Gagner RW/C 25gm 5 evg playing 75gm 12-15
    Jurco #20 LW 1.02 evg/60
    Khaira 10 evg in 17-18
    Haas C

48 goals (12 evg each) from #6 to #9 fwd is not unrealistic.
    With the wingers Holland got.

Can we get another 12 evg from #10 to #12
    Brodziak & Cave big DZ FO eating centers.

115. rickithebear says:

Rebillled:
    Theres a film set in Ireland in 1847 called Black ’47 on Netflix. Hugo Weaving.

‘Shoulda kept your powder dry.’ is a sp-oiler line from it.

Heard that line in a few period movies.

Must have really been a problem.

Makes sense.
    Flaws of Man.

116. rickithebear says:

Top 62 evg scoring LW, RW are top 6 wingers.

Even & PP Goal scoring is the most important GF skill for a forward in wining play.

Most important GA forward skills
    Ability to run efficient Fwd NZ trap in evga prevention thru entry reduction.
    Top PKga/60 reduction fwd play.

Passing the puck to each other is not the top of the list.

Neal #37 LW 43 evg last 3 seasons
    Kassian #37 RW 14 evg
    Chiasson #43 RW 13 evg
    Archibald #51 RW 12 evg
    Granlund #60 LW 10 evg
    Jurco #20 LW 1.02 evg/60
    Gagner EDM 25gm 5 evg, #32
    Jurco CHI 17-18 #20 LW 1.02 evg/60

Saying these guys are not top 6 forwards does not make it true.

Facts are Facts!

Pretending they are not is silly!

117. dinger says:

OriginalPouzar,

I suggest that you PVR the Oilers and stream the Condors.

118. frjohnk says:

rickithebear: Neal #37 LW 43 evg last 3 seasons
    Kassian #37 RW 14 evg
    Chiasson #43 RW 13 evg
    Archibald #51 RW 12 evg
    Granlund #60 LW 10 evg
    Jurco #20 LW 1.02 evg/60
    Gagner EDM 25gm 5 evg, #32
    Jurco CHI 17-18 #20 LW 1.02 evg/60

Saying these guys are not top 6 forwards does not make it true.

So when we add Drai, RNH and McDavid, we have 10 top 6 forwards?

119. rickithebear says:

Wilde:

Do you have the success rates:
    Direct shots: goals success per pocession.
    Goal success of Last pass to forward in pocession
    Goal success of 2nd last pass to forward in pocession
    % of 2nd assists per goal per pocession.

Established from 2 3d graphs differentiated by ( FO zone start) & (Bench change ZS)
    From individual situation group averages based on Team, Comp, ZS.

That allows you to compare an AHL players +ve and negative performance relative to the 4 success rates per pocession different
    Zone start.

I have repeatedly pointed out ZS flaws influence on pocession measure.
    I have repeatedly pointed out difference between FO ZS and bench change ZS.
    I have stated the difference in value of direct shooting and passing in goal per pocession efficiency.

Their are 2 x (128 or 256) seperate situation averages for any of the 4 goal per pocession given play measure.

Which two did benson play in last year in AHL.

Not stating that provides 0% real context.

120. jp says:

rickithebear:
    Top 62 evg scoring LW, RW are top 6 wingers.

Most important GA forward skills
    Ability to run efficient Fwd NZ trap in evga prevention thru entry reduction.
    Top PKga/60 reduction fwd play.

Passing the puck to each other is not the top of the list.

Neal #37 LW 43 evg last 3 seasons
    Kassian #37 RW 14 evg
    Chiasson #43 RW 13 evg
    Archibald #51 RW 12 evg
    Granlund #60 LW 10 evg
    Jurco #20 LW 1.02 evg/60
    Gagner EDM 25gm 5 evg, #32
    Jurco CHI 17-18 #20 LW 1.02 evg/60

Saying these guys are not top 6 forwards does not make it true.

Facts are Facts!

Pretending they are not is silly!

Could we be reasonable?

Most of these guys have been top 6 forwards based on even strength goals at least once in their careers. It’s not their established level and in most cases not something they’ve done (been) more than once. Saying they are top 6 forwards also doesn’t make it true.

And putting Jurco on the list (twice) is really absurd. Scored at a top 6 *rate* in *one* 29 game sample, with his remaining 172 career games coming at a 4th line rate. That guy is a top 6 forward…

121. Scungilli Slushy says:

northerndancer: Word…from a geezer

Wheeeeze!

122. Jethro Tull says:

rickithebear,

Ricki, don’t use that number🎶🎵

123. Georgexs says:

1. Correlation between 5v5 P60 in a given season with 5v5 P60 in the following season for forwards who played at least one game in each season:

2007, 0.33
    2008, 0.31
    2009, 0.31
    2010, 0.35
    2011, 0.36
    2012, 0.34
    2013, 0.45
    2014, 0.33
    2015, 0.36
    2016, 0.34
    2017, 0.30

The correlation is quite weak. Without a filter for sample size (GP or TOI), knowing how a forward did on 5v5 P60 tells you very little about how he will do the next season.

Let’s filter on GP, then, to give us a bigger sample size to measure performance. I checked the strength of the correlation using a minimum GP cutoff ranging from 1 to 40. Across all seasons, a 20 GP minimum seemed to deliver good results across all seasons.

2. Correlation between 5v5 P60 in a given season with 5v5 P60 in the following season for forwards who played at least 20 games in each season:

2007, 0.51
    2008, 0.56
    2009, 0.54
    2010, 0.54
    2011, 0.54
    2012, 0.51
    2013, 0.53
    2014, 0.51
    2015, 0.49
    2016, 0.42
    2017, 0.53

Better. Now, how does 5v5 P60 compare to Pts/GP?

3. Correlation between Pts/GP in a given season with Pts/GP in the following season for forwards who played at least 20 games in each season:

2007, 0.83
    2008, 0.84
    2009, 0.82
    2010, 0.81
    2011, 0.82
    2012, 0.80
    2013, 0.82
    2014, 0.81
    2015, 0.79
    2016, 0.79
    2017, 0.83

Much better. How well does Pts/GP predict future 5v5 P60?

4. Correlations between Pts/GP in a given season with 5v5 P60 in the following season for forwards who played at least 20 games in each season:

2007, 0.59
    2008, 0.63
    2009, 0.62
    2010, 0.62
    2011, 0.56
    2012, 0.62
    2013, 0.58
    2014, 0.60
    2015, 0.54
    2016, 0.56
    2017, 0.62

(If anyone wants to check my work, I used NST player data. I selected Individual and Rates for 5v5 and All Situations and downloaded the data for each season. I then combined all season data into two files, one for 5v5 data and one for All Situations. I don’t think I should be sharing NST’s data freely, but it takes about 10 to 15 minutes to download everything. I ran a few correlations manually in Excel then wrote code to calculate the correlations across a variety of metrics, seasons, and minimum GP cutoffs. I made sure the numbers calculated by code matched the numbers calculated through Excel. I also plotted some pairwise correlations to make sure things looked reasonable and there weren’t any weird data artifacts that were skewing the results. If my numbers don’t match yours, please let me know. There’s been a focus on 5v5 P60 on this blog for so long; I’m hoping someone makes an attempt to verify/contradict my results.)

124. Wilde says:

rickithebear:
    Direct shots: goals success per pocession.

don’t know what that is

rickithebear: Goal success of Last pass to forward in pocession

don’t know what that is

rickithebear:
    Goal success of 2nd last pass to forward in pocession

don’t know what that is

rickithebear: % of 2nd assists per goal per pocession.

don’t know what that is

125. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

rickithebear,

Kassian – career high
    Chiasson – career high, and second half of season was ice cold
    Archibald – career high, not qualified at league minimum by ARZ of all teams
    Granlund – somewhat intriguing as he’s scored more before, has WAY more TK than GV, but 41% career FO and gets consistently out shot on the ice
    Jurco – small sample size from ages ago
    Gagner – small sample size, slow boots although high hockey IQ

You may be right, but there’s just as good a chance of these guys not being able to sustain. Proclaiming them as a slam dunk is just as foolish as admonishing those who don’t share your proprietary beliefs, in my opinion.

Personally speaking, I think Holland has made some decent, low-risk bets on these guys plus Haas and Nygard. If it doesn’t work they’re off the books next year. It’s a nice departure from coke machines to skill and speed. There’s potential for it to work. But if it doesn’t I won’t be as disappointed as years prior — better to swing for the fences than bunt and still miss.

126. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

jp,

Well said. My reply feels clumsy in comparison.

127. jp says:

Georgexs,

Thanks very much for this. Impressive how much better Pts/Game does vs 5v5P/60. I asked because I’d like to use the best available predictor going forward and this is very clear (if it was .5 vs .53 then it’s likely in the noise). Much appreciated.

It sounds like I could probably manage to check/verify your correlations (that’s just R-squared?) though I’m not sure if/when I’ll find the time. Realistically I won’t, in part because I feel comfortable with your work/results. This is valuable though. Especially considering how much better Pts/Game does. It’s not even close. Very cool.

128. jp says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Lots of good stuff in yours too.

129. Glovjuice says:

jp:
    BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Lots of good stuff in yours too.

Ahhhhh, that’s cute.

130. jp says:

Glovjuice: Ahhhhh, that’s cute.

Thanks Glov, you’re swell.

131. rickithebear says:

A player in the situation group:
    Lowest teammates
    Highest comp
    Lowest Off FO ZS%
    The evp/60 avg was .37
    A goal dif average of -26

Quite a difrent expected result range depending on how the coach uses you.

132. jp says:

A player in the situation group:
    Lowest teammates
    Highest comp
    Lowest Off FO ZS%
    The evp/60 avg was .37
    A goal dif average of -26

Quite a difrent expected result range depending on how the coach uses you.

That sounds reasonable, but how is it related to my comment?

133. Mustard Tiger says:

Nuge-Draisaitl-Kassian
    Benson-McDavid-Neal
    Granlund-Khaira-Chiasson
    Nygard-Cave-Gagner

Nurse-Larsson
    Klefbom-Bouchard
    Russel-Persson

Koskinen
    Smith

134. Munny says:

Georgexs: Not only is Pts/GP much less noisy than 5v5 P60 in predicting future offensive performance, Pts/GP is also a consistently better predictor of future 5v5 P60 than 5v5 P60 itself!

This is awesome, and what I expected, (And JP too, for other reasons, which is even better). Thank you for churning this out.

135. Munny says:

Mustard Tiger,

Nobody likes Archibald.

I think right now the intent is to slot Gagner at 3C.

Benson likely starts in the A, although he won’t be there long, unless the varsity players rock it.

136. jp says:

Mustard Tiger,

No love for Benning either.

137. frjohnk says:

Georgexs,

Great stuff Georgexs.

If I had time, I think I would play around with all situations pts/60 and PP pts/60 just to see how those numbers look

New for The Athletic: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and the configuration of the Oilers second line

139. Admiral Ackbar says:

Hey Hunter!

Put me down for 104 pts & 10G for Poolparty.

And I’ll parlay that with a RFA contract that he signs with the Oil!

Go big or go home!

140. Admiral Ackbar says:

Bohologo,

Thanks for this! What a great read.

141. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

OriginalPouzar,

– Here’s Conner at the event in Toronto in the brace in June, and video limping:

– Here’s Conner in May with his knee brace:

– No photo of Kinger at same place as CmD downtown one evening July, he was enjoying his rehab, walking gingerly, with Beverages…

– We can all hope he’s 100%, but he isn’t following off-season ideal protocol. Long-term this might be a good thing for the team in terms of giving different players opportunities. Missing 10 games wouldn’t be worst thing for this team at this stage (I’m not saying he is going to miss any time)

– No McD, means 2 skill guys have to play with Drai, and RNH has to be put in a situation where wingers play with him to score as well. Or another vintage Tippett team special

– The current strategy of Drai-McD-5th wheel is crack for team. Not how to build a cup

142. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny:
    Mustard Tiger,

Nobody likes Archibald.

I think right now the intent is to slot Gagner at 3C.

Both Tippett and Gully have very recently said they see Gagner as a winger – Tippett a few weeks ago and Gully just few days ago.

Archibald is 100% an every day player for Tippett to start the season.

He has expressed he likes pairs and one of the three pairs he said he sees using is Granlund/Archibald

143. OriginalPouzar says:

May was 3 months ago.

June was 2 months ago.

144. Ryan says:

frjohnk:
    Georgexs,

Great stuff Georgexs.

I was thinking the same thing. If you look at all situations pts/60, that allows you to find out if the stronger correlation between pts/g has more to do with just having a large sample size vs incorporating Toi/g data.

I.e, if all situations pts/60 gives similar results as pts/g, then it is just the power of larger sample size giving the greater predictive ability

Vs if pts/g is better than all situations pts/60, then perhaps the Toi Data has some predictive or corrective value.

145. Andy Dufresne says:

Bohologo:

Great Post! Very creative, informative and entertaining. Thank You.