Patrick Russell

I find myself wondering about Patrick Russell’s future these days. I remember when the Oilers signed him, it was something like an afterthought. I could barely find a thing on him. Even a year later we were dealing in math and some small anecdotal information. That was about it, to be honest. From those humble beginnings, brick by brick, Patrick Russell is finding his own way. It’s an impressive story.

At the time of his signing I wrote “although most are (I believe correctly) putting less value on the Russell signing than the Drake Caggiula addition, the real facts are that you never know. Both could flop, or both could go on to productive careers.”

Russell isn’t a burner, but he’s near the play all damn game. As for the race to NHL regular status with Drake Caggiula, it isn’t close right now. Russell has played 30 games in the NHL and has four points, while Caggiula sits at 197 games, 35 goals and 65 points. However, if you watch Russell you can see a player who is settling in to a role his coach values and he’s doing it well. Consistently well. I can’t wait to see his future.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, less than two coffees a month offer here. There is also a Christmas gift offer here.

• New Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 4 prospect winter 2019: Tyler Benson
  • New Minnia Feng: Unsolicited advice for the Oilers: Chinese proverbs edition
  • New Jonathan Willis: Are the Oilers good now? Subtle changes add up to sustainable gain
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How Mikko Koskinen is seizing his opportunity to take over the Oilers’ crease
  • Lowetide: Eight assets the Oilers could use to acquire Taylor Hall
  • Lowetide:  Edmonton Oilers’ farm team recalls invaluable in playoff seasons and paying off in 2019-20
  • Lowetide: Oilers deployment shuffle will continue with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins still sidelined
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: One-on-one with Ken Holland, who is facing his first deadline in the Jesse Puljujarvi saga
  • Jonathan Willis: Should the Oilers go short or long term on Ethan Bear’s next contract?
  • Lowetide: The 2010s: Revisiting the Connor McDavid draft lottery — the day the earth stood still in Edmonton
  • Jonathan Willis: The 2010s: Unveiling the Oilers all-decade team
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The 2010s: What went wrong with Nail Yakupov? How the No. 1 pick became the decade’s biggest NHL draft bust
  • Jonathan Willis: The 2010s: Ranking a decade’s worth of Oilers coaches
  • Lowetide: Tyler Benson posting a strong November in hopes of an Oilers recall
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: A superstar shines, a goaltender stands tall and a ‘road hockey’ power play helps the Oilers return to form
  • Lowetide: Why Dave Tippett’s deployment is a sign the Oilers need a No. 3 centre
  • Jonathan Willis: A Jesse Puljujarvi trade is an opportunity of which only one NHL team gets to take advantage
  • Daniel Nugent-BowmanLeon Draisaitl takes the blame as the Oilers’ struggles against lowly foes continues
  • Jonathan Willis: A list of which Oilers are most likely to be traded in 2019-20
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Woodcroft on Benson’s ‘gift,’ the next step for Bouchard and acting like a proud parent watching the Oilers
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 2 prospect winter 2019: Philip Broberg
  • Lowetide: Joel Persson’s demotion highlights difficult adjustment for Oilers’ ‘European showtime’ trio
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis: Evaluating the Oilers’ readiness for the 2021 Seattle expansion draft
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 1 prospect winter 2019: Evan Bouchard

OILERS FORWARDS 5-ON-5/60 NOVEMBER 1+

This is from the beginning of November, and Patrick Russell is doing good work! I have no idea how far he’ll go in this league, but he works and pursues the puck and makes things happen. Damn shame they took that goal away from him Sunday night.

CONDORS FORWARDS 2019-20

I have Tyler Benson as my No. 4 prospect this winter, Kailer Yamamoto has more pure talent but he needs to prove he can stay in the lineup in pro hockey. Ryan McLeod has been scoring more than I anticipated in his rookie season, that’s an encouraging number.

For Josh Currie, Joe Gambardella and Cooper Marody, their time is now and being stuck in the AHL (while Russell sleeps on NHL pillows) means time is a wasting. Currie’s eight even-strength goals stand out in a big way on this roster.

Lavoie is an absolute machine this season in the shots column, you’d like him to cash more goals and perhaps that comes as we roll along (he’s at 180 shots and 17 goals currently). Last year he scored 32 goals on 206 shots in 62 games. This year those 180 shots have come in 28 games. Lavoie could post 400 shots this season.

A Chat

I welcome you to this site and hope you enjoy the experience. I have no expectations that you will linger one moment longer than you want. When you leave, I thank you for coming and invite you back at any time.

We have rules. Everyone who has ever posted here has followed them, although there are loud noises from time to time (and we accept those because we also have our moments).

It has been an angry few days, the passion spills over and we lose our minds a little. Ironically, this happens most often when the team is doing well, don’t know why.

Anyway, a few points. Be kind to each other. Ignore the posts that irritate you and engage in the comments that spark your interest. Better yet, start a conversation that is at the heart of your interest and see who chimes back.

Lowetide is like a cafe or bar, everyone is welcome to a seat. You don’t have to sit with someone you don’t like, but they will be in the bar at the same time as you from time to time.

If you choose to leave because the barkeeper won’t throw out patrons you don’t like, the barkeeper will wish you well and hope you come back soon.

I remain humbled by the community this blog fell into years ago and has maintained for almost 15 years now. If it goes away tomorrow, I’m a rich man for the memories. All are welcome. Your time is your time. Spend it well.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy and fun morning starts at 10, TSN1260. Jonathan Willis from The Athletic will contemplate the Oilers and just how good the are, and we’ll probably talk a little about Taylor Hall. Andrew Peard and Corey Graham will pop in for a live hit and discuss the Edmonton Oil Kings and their fascinating season. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

336 Responses to "Patrick Russell"

Newer Comments »
  1. digger50 says:

“My time is my time”

Yes and it feels great today. I do not get the opportunity to go to many games, nor many vacations but today…. I sit on the beach reading Lowetide and I gotta say , I’m one happy little pineapple. 😀😀😀

2. HT Joe says:

Thanks Lowetide for keeping this bar going. I like this place.

Have a great morning everyone!!

3. Oilin4 says:

I think we should throw lowetide out for being reasonable and level-headed. There’s no place for that on the internet!

4. dcsj says:

Yeah, Patrick Russell, hope he makes it. One thing I like about your blog, LT, is how you highlight and keep us informed on the prospects, blue chip and otherwise. Makes me wish they all could make it, which is not possible, of course. Still… Your coverage adds to the enjoyment of the game.

5. M00se1197 says:

I enjoy this bar, I can sit in the corner and watch people argue and fight and chuckle to myself.

6. Pouzar says:

My eye sees guys can skate with the puck and make plays with it. I don’t see players like Granlund and Russell very well 5v5 but their underlying fancies aren’t bad. I’m always of the “Aim Higher” mentality with these guys but we are where we are.

7. Halltheway says:

If the disallowed goal had counted Russel would have had an even more impressive 2.16 pts/60.

8. Germoil says:

“Be excellent to each other” – Bill and Ted.

9. frjohnk says:

Germoil:
    “Be excellent to each other” – Bill and Ted.

pretty sure it was Abraham Lincoln who said that.

10. JJS says:

I tend to drink more at this bar than any other

I’m not sure how to interpret that!

Thanks for everything LT. You brighten all of our mornings – no matter our responses

Cheers

11. flyfish1168 says:

I am curious what numbers CF or even points per game does 3rd and 4th line players get to stay ijn the NHL?

12. John Chambers says:

Alex Newhook … is having a tremendous freshman season at Boston. That he’s penciled in as a bottom-6 C shows how deep Canada is.

With Shero putting the For Sale sign up on Taylor Hall, Newhook is the kind of ‘A’ prospect the Devils would be looking to acquire.

If you’re Joe Sakic, do you consider trading your future 2C for a puss cutter in the present tense?

13. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Thanks LT: I will order a double. Jack & diet coke. At Raps game tonight. Can I put it on your tab?

14. Bruce McCurdy says:

LT: Love your blog, always have. Love your comments secton too, not every comment or even every day, but it has been a great connection to a cross-section of Oil fans and their opinions, be they passionate, well-informed, or both. I think of Lowetide’s Lounge as a big sports bar watching a game, once in a while somebody has a couple too many & things get out of hand for a bit, but they invariably settle down & we all carry on as before, secure in the knowledge that tomorrow morning at 08:30 there will be fresh material for us to read, ponder & dissect.

Thank you, Allan.

15. dustrock says:

I posted last week that Lavoie’s stats aren’t very far behind Cozens, who is killing it this year as well.

Happy to see him start his D+1 with a bang, as last year the first 2/3 of the season weren’t as good, and people thought he might drop more until he had that heat-of-a-thousand-suns hot streak from the end of the season through the playoffs.

We’ll argue about the Broberg pick forever or at least until the 5 years post draft are up, but man the thought of having Caufield/Zegras and Lavoie in the system would really help with the forward corpse.

I don’t see anybody but Benson making it in the bigs from Bakersfield with the current forwards.

16. ArmchairGM says:

John Chambers: puss cutter

That’s what she said!

17. J-Bo says:

Sometimes you’ve got to go where everybody knows your [screen name]…

18. jtblack says:

Thanks for the Blog LT. It’s my favorite way to connect to the Oilers & Oilers Fan.

Some of the info on here is Pure Gold (Pure Gold Jerry!)

Your Analysis and Stats on the Oilers and their prospects is Amazing.

Keep up the Great Work !!

19. Bruce McCurdy says:

As for today’s topic, I freaking love Patrick Russell. Good signing by the org, good re-signing, good patience with a B prospect who has done nothing but improve year-over-year at St. Cloud State & then Bakersfield & who knows at the NHL which he finally made at age 26. Lots of Pisani in his track record, not quite the offence though their final years in both college & AHL are mighty similar.

Thing about both is even if they aren’t scoring they don’t hurt you. Russell skates his ass off, plays strong positional hockey, kills penalties, wins puck battles galore, creates some scoring chances, & has been unlucky more than once. Criminal how he was robbed of his very-hard-earned first career goal on Sunday, that one hurt more than most, but we all know it’s coming, & soon.

Great Dane underdog story.

20. LadiesloveSmid says:

I mean she’s batting like 0.030 but TreenasOil dropping hints that Hall should be ‘coming home’, with Benson’s name being out there.

21. Primetime says:

While Lavoie’s total goals is impressive and exciting, the drop in shooting percentage is a bit troubling. It just highlights the Oilers still do not have a pure sharp shooter in the entire organization ala Pastrnak.

Do the Oilers target a pure goal scorer in the upcoming draft? If we maintain our position and draft in the mid 20’s, who might that be?

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

While I wasn’t around the thread for the apparent general gongshowery yesterday, I was around for a bit of Kassian talk.

It centered around how well he fit with McDavid and Drai.

That got me thinking and spurred me to offer this puzzle/quiz.

Below is a list of 10 forwards who have played with McDavid since 16/17 (didn’t include his rookie year)

I am going to list off their GF% with McDavid, their individual goals/60 and individual pts/60 with McDavid. (all 5v5 situations only)

Some of these players played with McDavid and Draisaitl, some didn’t. That might help you identify them.

Here we go:

5v5 GF% with McDavid (5v5 only)
    GF%
    A 58
    B 53
    C 58
    D 58
    E 63
    F 56
    G 62
    H 53
    I 57
    J 50

Individual Goals/60 while playing with Mcdavid (5v5 only)
    iG/60
    A 1.00
    B 1.18
    C 1.19
    D 1.15
    E 0.89
    F 1.16
    G 0.88
    H 0.57
    I 0.62
    J 0.89

Individual Points/60 with McDavid (5v5 only)
    iPTS/60
    A 2.50
    B 2.36
    C 2.05
    D 2.98
    E 2.23
    F 2.45
    G 2.06
    H 1.72
    I 1.48
    J 2.23

Its quite something that how little the GF% varies eh?

The volume of goals changes a bit, but the ratio, not so much.

Does it matter if EDM scores more when a player is with McDavid if the goal ratio doesn’t change?

Its an interesting question.

I fall firmly on the “goal ratios are the most important metric” but you need to have big samples and goaltending is soooo important.

G’luck everyone!!!

23. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Great Dane underdog story.

Sooooooo, LT finally has his new Pisani?

24. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0: The first person to correctly identify all 10 forwards wins $50 to the charity of his/her choice.

Who are 10 people who have never been in my kitchen?

25. Darth Tu says:

Nice to see Krebs getting the call to camp, he’s still not firing on all cylinders after returning from injury. However 5 assists in the 5 games he’s played since returning isn’t bad. I hope he does well.

26. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk: Who are 10 people who have never been in my kitchen?

27. Wolfpack says:

Okay, now I am picturing Cheers. Not sure if Lowetide would be Coach or Sam.

Cliff, Norm, Frasier, do we have a Carla or Diane? What would represent the bitter rivals, Gary’s Old Time Tavern?

Talk amongst yourselves.

Cheers, TAXI, MASH, WKRP, Barney Miller, Newhart… I can’t believe i had time to watch hockey when I was a kid.

28. Andy Dufresne says:

M00se1197:

Can I join you? 🙂

I have nothing to say today 🙂

Except. Thank You Barkeep! (and patrons) …oh…and those other two guys who help set the table(s) every day….WGOP 🙂

Call letters WGOP

Got kind of tired packing and unpacking
    Town to town and up and down the dial
    Maybe you and me were never meant to be
    But baby think of me once in awhile

W..G..O..P..in this northern cityyyyyyy

29. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0: While your statement is true Padre, you have not correct identified them vs any other 10 people who have not been in your Rectory’s kitchen.

Ha.

Kassian
    Draisaitl
    EBERLE 🙂
    Lucic
    Cagguila
    JP
    Maroon
    Chiasson
    Rattie
    Nuge

As for who did what I have no clue

30. dustrock says:

Woodguy v2.0: Sooooooo, LT finally has his new Pisani?

I don’t think Russell has Pisani’s shot but he is an actual NHL player

31. Sierra says:

M00se1197:

32. PennersPancakes says:

Woodguy v2.0: The volume of goals changes a bit, but the ratio, not so much.

Its an interesting question.

Im not sure of the answer but Im just thinking out loud.

For this thought experiment lets use a GF% of 66.7% (2GF 1GA)

Scenario A: McDavids line scores 2 and gives up 1.
    Scenario B: McDavids line scores 4 and gives up 2.

If the bottom six goes 0GF and 2 GA. Scenario A is a loss where scenario B is OT.

Same ratio but when you have the % advantage youd want to make it as high event as possible without dropping too many % points. Same thing for the bottom 6 if their GF % is below 50, if you cant raise it, try to make it as low event as possible?

33. jtblack says:

“The first person to correctly identify all 10 forwards wins $50 to the charity of his/her choice.”

Who are 10 players Edm has traded away?

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Alright – Oilers landed at 2am after the game on Sunday and yesterday was CBA mandated day off (their last for a while from accounts).

Practice today probably starting in not too long – hopefully some good news on Nuge (and Kassian).

Oilers will a bit of a benefit as Ottawa plays in Vancouver tonight and the Oilers will be resting.

Craig Anderson is also on IR and Marcus Högberg has been called up – will be interesting to see which of Nillson or Hogberg play tonight.

35. jtblack says:

SHANE WRIGHT was granted exceptional status in the OHL.

He is15 yrs old.

Has 11 G 9 A in 21 games 😎 That is crazy.

Hes Eligible for 2022 Draft.

36. dustrock says:

Apropos of nothing, here’s a link to my best of 2019 for music.

I tend to lean on indie rock and some electronic/dance pop.

Album of the Year: Lana Del Rey – Norman Fucking Rockwell

Song of the Year: Vampire Weekend – Harmony Hall

37. LadiesloveSmid says:

For the first season in his career, Hall is a negative GFrel% & xGFrel% player.

His linemates seem to have better on-ice results without him.

Maybe the ship should sail on the Kingston Cannonball (gotta add that to LT’s dictionary). He’s 28. You hope he ages like an elite player.

38. stephen sheps says:

dustrock:
    Apropos of nothing, here’sa link to my best of 2019 for music.

I tend to lean on indie rock and some electronic/dance pop.

Album of the Year: Lana Del Rey – Norman Fucking Rockwell

Song of the Year: Vampire Weekend – Harmony Hall

Great title for your playist, btw. a good talking heads reference is always welcome.

My list is slowly coming together. Gonna be a weird one. Also trying to put together a best of the 2010s list that might not come out until early 2020

Lana Del Rey’s record is stunning. Don’t think it’s my AOTY, but it’s definitely inside my top 10, likely closer to 5. I didn’t think she had an album this good in her, but here we are.

As to the Vampire Weekend track – agree to disagree. That album is firmly headed towards my most hated of the year pile. Can’t stand them and they’ve grown even more insufferable since their one excellent member (Rostam) left the band.

39. Rafa Nadal says:

A bit off the current topic, but those 5v5 numbers from Nuge and Neal are ghastly. Hope they can turn it around soon.

40. OriginalPouzar says:

He’s never going to score much but he will give you responsible play and full effort shift in and shift out.

——————————————–

Lavoie’s shooting percentage is down this year but his shot volume is off the charts. I haven’t actually been able to watch any Mooshead games yet but double digits in shots on net in a game is not uncommon for him.

From watching Lavoie in the past, in the Q and in international events, what I noticed is a guy that would not impact the game consistently – almost every game he’d have a couple shifts where he’d make a fantastic skill play that showed his talent (and usually his speed) but wouldn’t be noticeable for stretches.

I can’t say this for sure but, given his shot numbers, I suspect he’s impacting the game more consistently now. I guess this should be expected in his draft plus 1 year.

Can’t wait to see him on Team Canada (fingers crossed).

—————————————-

How nice is it to seem some (many) of the depth players chipping in?

November was such a nice month in that regard.

Next up: Riley Sheahan!

41. Marlowe says:

dustrock:
    Apropos of nothing, here’sa link to my best of 2019 for music.

I tend to lean on indie rock and some electronic/dance pop.

Album of the Year: Lana Del Rey – Norman Fucking Rockwell

Song of the Year: Vampire Weekend – Harmony Hall

Thanks for sharing. Harmony Hall is also one of my favourite songs of the year. Your playlist is great – Weyes Blood’s new album is definitely on my Top Ten.

42. Darth Tu says:

OriginalPouzar,

I have all my fingers and toes crossed for good news on Nuge (and Kassian). This is a reasonably soft part of the schedule and taking as many points as possible is key.

Hogberg – glorious name.

43. Andy Dufresne says:

Wolfpack:
    Okay, now I am picturing Cheers. Not sure if Lowetide would be Coach or Sam.

Talk amongst yourselves.

FACK!!! I had nothing to say…then you posted and well….

LT is Sam

Bruce is Coach

WG is Normmmmmm

OP is Dr Frazier Crane

Im not in their ^ class….but I like to think Im a facsimile of Woodrow Huckleberry Tiberius Boyd 🙂

44. flyfish1168 says:

jtblack:
    SHANE WRIGHT was granted exceptional status in the OHL.

He is15 yrs old.

Has 11 G 9 A in 21 games 😎 That is crazy.

Hes Eligible for 2022 Draft.

Cheering for him to keep up this pace

45. McNuge93 says:

jtblack:
    SHANE WRIGHT was granted exceptional status in the OHL.

He is15 yrs old.

Has 11 G 9 A in 21 games That is crazy.

Hes Eligible for 2022 Draft.

Are you suggesting we tank for three more years then?

46. teddyturnbuckle says:

On Taylor Hall: If I was Shero I would be trading Hall ASAP before he gets injured again and two his value may drop a bit if he and New Jersey continue to struggle until the deadline. For me acquiring him depends on the ask and contract extension number. It can’t be higher than Leon end of story. At the end of the day Hall is a one time 30 goal scorer he is not John Tavares.

47. flyfish1168 says:

teddyturnbuckle:

Anyone acquiring has to be concern about his injury history and his defensive play. I myself would not be in on the bidding for his services. Maybe after the season but not during. We don’t have the depth to compete long term if we trade out our picks or prospect for possibility 1 year. JMHO

48. dustrock says:

stephen sheps,

I can’t stand most of the album, to be honest, but I think when Ezra hits, it works really well.

Stuff like Harmony Hall, This Life and Stranger are pretty top-tier Vampire Weekend for me, but yeah the album itself is overlong and overindulgent.

49. VanIsleOil says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Love it Bruce!… Lowetide Lounge..perfect

50. McSorley33 says:

I actually love Patrick Russell…his work ethic and his ability to win battles along the boards.

But I think you *have* to chip in *some* goals.

However, this team has *way* bigger fish to fry with gaping holes on lines 2 and 3 to worry too much about
    a solid 4th liner and PK guy.

And I am with Dustrock – until I see the mythical conversion of a D prospect for a scoring forward – having – BOTH – Zegras and Lavoie in our system would make me feel a lot better about the future.

51. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

teddyturnbuckle,

flyfish1168,

– Yeah, I get the attraction of a fast dude who can skate like the wind and won the Hart

– But he played 30 games last year, has 4 goals this year, will be 29. His Hart was on the back of his highest SH% ever, as well as a lot of PP goals

– He gets injured a lot, he made no difference the only time NJ made the playoffs

– Get a Hallys type guy: because a stud winger so that Drai and CmD can C two different lines is the path to the Cup IMO.

– Hoping for the Hall from 3 years ago, and paying full dollars going forward for him specifically is just crazy talk. Plus he’s not coming back. I just don’t get it, except for the fact that he once played here, and was traded away and getting him back 5 years later would atone? Pass

52. McSorley33 says:

Someone mentioned this the other day….with all due respect, what did Kenny Holland leave behind in Detroit?

Wow.

53. Cassandra says:

dustrock:
    Apropos of nothing, here’sa link to my best of 2019 for music.

I tend to lean on indie rock and some electronic/dance pop.

Album of the Year: Lana Del Rey – Norman Fucking Rockwell

Song of the Year: Vampire Weekend – Harmony Hall

It’s funny, I dislike some of that list, and others I have never heard of but . . .

I love

“Dylan Thomas” by Better Oblivion Community Center (Phoebe Bridgers and Conor Oberst), and
    “Seventeen,” by Sharon Van Etten

54. Reja says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Great Dane underdog story.

How can you not love a blue collar hard working buzzsaw like Russell. The disallowed goal was straight out theft he could easily have 5-6 goals on the season. If the same disallowed goal is scored by Ovi, Travares Pasternak etc no way in hell its not counting 9 times out of 10 that goal is allowed.

55. Reja says:

McSorley33:

Wow.

A much smaller paycheque.

56. McSorley33 says:

Reja: A much smaller paycheque.

Well put.

57. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Sooooooo, LT finally has his new Pisani?

Haas is keeping the Russell/Granlund boats afloat.

Let him PK and there’s yer Pisani-lite.

58. McSorley33 says:

McSorley33:

Wow.

They look to be a dead lock for 31st – 0 – 8 – 2 in their last 10 games.

Woof

59. Pouzar says:

McSorley33:

Wow.

60. texmex says:

Tom Gazzola
    @TomGazzola
    2m
    Matt Benning, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Zack Kassian not on the ice at practice this morning. Mike Smith is taking part, sharing a net with Mikko Koskinen in the early going today. Shane Starrett at the other end of the rink.

61. Pouzar says:

texmex:
    Tom Gazzola
    @TomGazzola
    2m

That’s some penalty Kass took last game.

62. frjohnk says:

While we no doubt need a Hall like player I wouldnt use assets to acquire Hall this season as I believe he really wants to go to free agency.

Circle the Hall wagon this summer. Nothing more than 5 years, less than Drais AAV.

I think it would be better to clear some cap space this summer and use assets such as JP and a 2nd ( Perron trade template) or the 1st ( like the Canucks trade of Miller, that was a good trade for the Nucks)

Oilers need some players to fit in the realm between Drai and Kassian in the forward group. The Oilers only have Nuge there and he is UFA next year and nobody is bubbling underneath that will be there in the next year or two.

Regarding the recent shenanigans on the blog, it sort of feels like a nice game of global thermonuclear war.

“A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.”

64. Darth Tu says:

texmex:
    Tom Gazzola
    @TomGazzola
    2m

Benning I did not expect to see. Kassian is a bit of a worry, but if it’s nothing more than stiffness/soreness he could easily slide back in tomorrow and be up and running for the game, I’ll not worry too much.

Again with Nuge missing out it could be similar to Kassian in just needing another day of healing before sliding back into the team. The one thing that set alarm bells off for me was the “procedure” on his hand. As soon as “procedures” are mentioned my brain automatically starts thinking 2 weeks minimum – still, we wait.

I’m shocked…shocked…to find out trolling is going on in here! -)

66. Reja says:

Pouzar: That’s some penalty Kass took last game.

Somebody with a better memory how long was Kass out of action the last time his back seized up on him?

67. OriginalPouzar says:

Nuge is not on the ice for practice which is very disapointing.

As per Nugent-Bowman:

– Lines at practice are same as last game
    – D-Pairs are:

Klef/Larsson
    Russell/Jones

– Preumably Nurse/Bear

– Koskinen in starters net but Smith is on the ice.

– No Benning, Kass (or Nuge)

68. defmn says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    teddyturnbuckle,

flyfish1168,

– But he played 30 games last year, has 4 goals this year, will be 29.His Hart was on the back of his highest SH% ever, as well as a lot of PP goals

– Hoping for the Hall from 3 years ago, and paying full dollars going forward for him specifically is just crazy talk.Plus he’s not coming back.I just don’t get it, except for the fact that he once played here, and was traded away and getting him back 5 years later would atone?Pass

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Lots better ways to spend those cap dollars if we actually had cap dollars to spend.

69. stephen sheps says:

Nygard-Sheahan-Chiasson
    Granlund-Haas-P.Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Bear
    K.Russell-Jones
    Manning

Mike Smith on the ice at #Oilers practice.

No Benning, RNH, or Kassian.

72. Pouzar says:

JP
    Maroon
    Chiasson
    Rattie
    Nuge

As for who did what I have no clue

Is that in order from A to J?

74. defmn says:

OriginalPouzar:
    In more condensed form, as per Reid WIlkins:

Khaira-Draisaitl-Gagner
    Neal-McDavid-Archibald
    Nygard-Sheahan-Chiasson
    Granlund-Haas-P.Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Bear
    K.Russell-Jones
    Manning

Mike Smith on the ice at #Oilers practice.

No Benning, RNH, or Kassian.

Better for Jones. I think he is one of those rare dmen who is more comfortable on his offside.

75. Woodguy v2.0 says:

PennersPancakes: Im not sure of the answer but Im just thinking out loud.

For this thought experiment lets use a GF% of 66.7% (2GF 1GA)

Scenario A: McDavids line scores 2 and gives up 1.
    Scenario B: McDavids line scores 4 and gives up 2.

This is pretty smart.

texmex:
    Tom Gazzola
    @TomGazzola
    2m

Skinner or Starrett?

77. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0: Is that in order from A to J?

Just the 10 guys I think you r looking for.

I could look at natural stat trick and figure it out but won’t.

78. Yeti says:

stephen sheps: As Cassandra, says though, that Sharon van Etten track is outstanding. That’s another record inside my top 10 without a doubt. She performed it on a late night talk show earlier this year and the performance was bone-chillingly good. I think it was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8l3lUZ0qC0&feature=emb_logo

Always keen to encounter good music but I genuinely don’t hear what you do with that song. Musically it’s very basic and repetitive, and she’s not got a particularly great voice. Lyrics are fine and the maracas playing was super tight.

79. Woodguy v2.0 says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    For the first season in his career, Hall is a negative GFrel% & xGFrel% player.

His linemates seem to have better on-ice results without him.

His monthly splits show this: (NatStat metrics)

RelCF% Oct -4.8%
    RelCF% Nov +6.7% (2nd on team)

RelxGF% Oct -11.9%
    RelxGF% Nov +8.7% (2nd on team)

RelGF% Oct -0.4
    Rel GF% Nov -9.5% (!)

PDO Oct 1000
    PDO Nov 966

His ONSH% went from over 11% in Oct to 4% in Nov driving the PDO down quite a bit

It looks like he’s recovering play-wise, but the puck didn’t go in for him in November.

His injuries are a concern and it bears watching.

Most players with his elite play driving results tail off slowly until ~33/34 then it gets steeper.

80. ArmchairGM says:

jtblack:
    SHANE WRIGHT was granted exceptional status in the OHL.

He is15 yrs old.

Has 11 G 9 A in 21 games That is crazy.

Hes Eligible for 2022 Draft.

He leads his team in P/GP and is +3 on a team that is -39 after 25 games. Wow!

81. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:

Yes, aiming higher should always be a goal but, of course, with the limited cap space Holland had to work with this summer, cheap bets for the bottom six are required.

If nothing else (i.e. October), Granlund is a “smart player (as per Tippett) and, as we’ve seen, responsible in all zones. While his “offence” has boomed in November (as compared to October) this player is generally low event which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Maybe $1.3M is a bit much but I think he’s starting to earn that paycheque a bit but, for next year, yes, there may be an opportunity to aim higher.

82. stephen sheps says:

Yeti: Of course, beauty is in the ear of the beholder and it would be boring if we all liked the same stuff!

I wish I could describe exactly what it is about that song (especially as it’s something of an outlier on an otherwise moody atmospheric, slow-mid tempo synth-heavy record), but there’s something about what happens when her voice moves beyond her naturally low register at around 3:10 in the video, where suddenly she’s howling a bit and you can tell that whatever raw, visceral feeling she was trying to capture when she wrote the song seems to just snap into focus.

Structurally speaking, I agree the song is not that inventive, but I think her vocal performance is outstanding.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:

Are we able to directly compare offensive boxcars as between the Q and WHL?

I think the gap has narrowed but I think the Q remains a bit of an “easier league” offensively?

Could be wrong and open to be corrected.

84. geowal says:

Thanks as always LT for the only sane corner of the internet I’ve found, at a time I’ve steadfastly not signed up for twitter and my Facebook has more members on “snooze” than “following”.
    A very welcoming place for sporadic posters to chime in with those actively researching and revealing new info about all teams (see woodguys quiz above). I’ve even learned the odd thing about the Dys farm team.

Speaking of which, Mr Lama needs to add Dys to his dictionary, I have no idea what it means or where it originated from. Check that one off now that I have pisscutter down pat…

85. Fuhr and Lowething in Vegreville says:

OriginalPouzar: Are we able to directly compare offensive boxcars as between the Q and WHL?

Could be wrong and open to be corrected.

Also, quality of teammates/linemates…IIRC, doesn’t Lavoie play on a fairly weak team and pretty much drives the bus by himself, not getting zoomed at all by a strong supporting cast?

How does that compare to Cozens?

86. ArmchairGM says:

frjohnk:

Circle the Hall wagon this summer.Nothing more than 5 years, less than Drais AAV.

Oilers need some players to fit in the realm between Drai and Kassian in the forward group.The Oilers only have Nuge there and he is UFA next year and nobody is bubbling underneath that will be there in the next year or two.

If Holland can clear the ~$10M necessary to sign Hall (and he should try), he should… sign two ~$5.5M wingers instead.

87. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk: No.

Just the 10 guys I think you r looking for.

I could look at natural stat trick and figure it out but won’t.

Ah.

I was looking to identify each player with the letter I assigned to him.

Close enough.

Name your charity.

88. Woodguy v2.0 says:

A RNH
    B Caggiula
    C Maroon
    D Draisaitl
    E Eberle
    F Kassian
    G JP
    H Chiasson
    I Lucic
    J Rattie

89. Drew says:

frjohnk: Who are 10 people who have never been in my kitchen?

Oh Cliff!

90. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0: Ah.

I was looking to identify each player with the letter I assigned to him.

Close enough.

Name your charity.

Ha.

Send it to the bartender

91. who says:

Woodguy v2.0: His monthly splits show this: (NatStat metrics)

RelCF% Oct -4.8%
    RelCF% Nov +6.7% (2nd on team)

RelxGF% Oct -11.9%
    RelxGF% Nov +8.7% (2nd on team)

RelGF% Oct -0.4
    Rel GF% Nov -9.5% (!)

PDO Oct 1000
    PDO Nov 966

His injuries are a concern and it bears watching.

With all this talk of trading for Hall I still think most posters are missing the big picture.
    So far I am hearing the following concerns.
    1. It would cost too much in assets to acqire him
    This is a legit concern as I am not a big fan of spending significant assets on rental players. If you extend him it becomes a different conversation, but if I’m signing Hall for big money and term, I’m waiting till summer and saving my picks and prospects.
    2. Will Hall agree to sign with Oilers moving forward and what will that contract look like?
    I’m guessing the absolute minimum would be 5 years x 8.5 million. My guess is it would be for more term or more money. Or both.
    3. Is that kind of contract a good idea for the Oilers?
    Maybe, if he stays healthy. If he’s in the lineup he’s a difference maker.

The thing is none of the above concerns really matter.
    So my question is, are you willing to trade Nurse to make room for Hall?

92. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    ARNH
    BCaggiula
    CMaroon
    DDraisaitl
    EEBERLE
    FKassian
    GJP
    HChiasson
    ILucic
    JRattie

FTFY

93. Wonder Llama says:

stephen sheps: fair enough. I can’t stand Ezra’s voice even at the best of times. On this record his voice reminds me of the era of Paul Simon I dislike the most (yes, I know, I don’t like Paul Simon and Abba is the worst – I’m a monster who can’t be trusted about music. I’ve heard it all before). His guitar playing and the production on the record sounds like the worst era of the grateful dead (the 80s era). On the whole I just don’t get why it’s showing up on so many critics best-of lists. It’s one of those albums that feels like critics feel as though they’re supposed to include because if they don’t they’ll lose their critic-cred, which I imagine is kind of like ‘punk points’ but instead the pins on denim jackets, it’s the number of backstage passes from festivals they collected for the year.

I agree critics are overrating this new album. It’s okay but I’d rank it last of their four. I thought Modern Vampires of the City was brilliant – easily their best and my favourite from that year (2014?).

Speaking of Paul Simon, I think “Hannah Hunt” is a worthy successor to “America,” and that’s high praise. That track can still overwhelm me and I present it as exhibit A for Ezra having a very fine voice. YMMV!

My faves this year would include Big Thief, The National and a Japanese band called CHAI.

94. frjohnk says:

who: The key question is how do you fit Taylor Hall into the Oilers cap structure next year? The only way I see it happening is a Darnell Nurse trade.

There are a few ways and it does not involve trading Nurse. Keep Nurse and Klefbom as your top 4 LD and your golden.

-trade Russell
    -trade Neal with salary retained, might be possible
    -trade Larsson.

If nobody in the bottom 6 forwards or bottom pairing D are making over $1.5M, then its doable.

95. ArmchairGM says:

Another CHL tidbit: 2020 eligible Marco Rossi leads the entire CHL in P/GP so far. He also possesses incredible 2-way instincts.

96. defmn says:

frjohnk: There are a few ways and it does not involve trading Nurse.Keep Nurse and Klefbom as your top 4 LD and your golden.

-trade Russell
    -trade Neal with salary retained, might be possible
    -trade Larsson.

That would make the ‘balance photo’ pretty safe from ever seeing the light of day. 😉

97. Bag of Pucks says:

LT’s Bar? Suddenly I’m remembering that Denis Leary routine where he talks about his dream bar. Serves beer & whisky only and the jukebox is all Rolling Stones.

Went to a pub in Barcelona called the Dow Jones one night. Drink prices fluctuate like a stock ticker and every hour or so, the market crashes and people rush the bar. Had a seat by the door. Didn’t see a single person leave that wasn’t staggering. Course, I drink like an Albertan so a Bear market worked quite nicely for me.

Spaniards are lightweights when it comes to anything other than wine. Germans however? I went to a Champions League game with Barca vs FC Schalke on that same trip and those guys scared the hell out of me. I can understand how they almost took over the world twice after seeing that. They must’ve been drunk for the entire Blitzkreig.

98. v4ance says:

Crazy idea since the Devils have $4M in cap room and only 46 of 50 roster spots taken….

Hall ($6M) for Manning ($2.25M) Neal ($5.75M) Jesse Puljujarvi’s rights, Broberg and a conditional 2021 2nd rounder if we re-sign Hall BEFORE June 29th. (The mythical 5 for 1!)

Turn it into a part cap dump, part asset trade. The Devils won’t keep Neal past this year but can turn him into another 2nd or 3rd round draft pick via a salary retained deal.

99. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack:
    SHANE WRIGHT was granted exceptional status in the OHL.

He is15 yrs old.

Has 11 G 9 A in 21 games That is crazy.

Hes Eligible for 2022 Draft.

100. frjohnk says:

defmn: That would make the ‘balance photo’ pretty safe from ever seeing the light of day.

This team is as close to the “balance photo” as it is “unicorns”.

Our previous GM sold the fans on “unicorns” but as we got a closer look it was a donkey with a penis on its head.

101. who says:

-trade Russell
    -trade Neal with salary retained, might be possible
    -trade Larsson.

2. Trading Neal alone,with salary retained, does not open up enough cap space. Probably tougher to move than Russell as well.
    3. Trading Larsson alone does not open up enough cap space. Also removes a top 4 dman from the roster. Not an ideal move for a contending team.
    I’m sure you can see the general theme here. One of these moves ain’t gonna be enough. Two of these moves might do it, but how realistic is that. Move number 3 also weakens the defense for next year.
    I still think the choice is Hall or Nurse.

102. DocFan says:

Bag of Pucks,

The Nazi’s were actually on a form of meth for a large part of the initial blitzkrieg against Belgium and France….

103. JimmyV1965 says:

McSorley33: Should clarify with all the off-ice stuff…specifically meaning organizational talent and depth.

They look to be a dead lock for 31st– 0 – 8 – 2 in their last 10 games.

Woof

104. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk: Ha.

Send it to the bartender

Will do.

105. Bag of Pucks says:

dustrock:
    Apropos of nothing, here’sa link to my best of 2019 for music.

I tend to lean on indie rock and some electronic/dance pop.

Album of the Year: Lana Del Rey – Norman Fucking Rockwell

Song of the Year: Vampire Weekend – Harmony Hall

Thanks! I’ll be listening to the playlist this afternoon.

Couldn’t agree more on LDR. I loved Ultraviolence and wanted her to get back to that darker sound. NFR is all that and much much more. Venice Bitch is Pink Floyd meets Nico. Great record.

If you ever take a detour down the country road, check out Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson. There’s some great artists thriving outside the mainstream Nashville hit factory.

Old timey classic rock guys should check out Simpson’s Sound & Fury video on Netflix. Opening track will bring back memories of Don Felder taking a ride on heavy metal visually with Billy Gibbonsesque riffage as a soundtrack.

106. who says:

JimmyV1965: My son is a diehard Wings fan. They have a crapload of prospects. Zadina, Veleno, Rasmussen, McIssac, Beggren are just some of the high end prospects they have coming. That doesn’t include young NHL guys like Bertuzzi, Mantha, Larkin, Athenisiou, Hronek and Chlowski. Or Seider, who was drafted by Yzerman. This team will be very good in a couple years.

Yep. The Wings will be fine.
    Will be coming out of the down part of their cycle soon.

107. Bag of Pucks says:

DocFan:
    Bag of Pucks,

Crazy stuff.

108. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk: This team is as close to the “balance photo” as it is “unicorns”.

Ok then.

109. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

JimmyV1965,

– The whole Babcock being a super-nova d$ck though puts pause to his boss IMO.

– I’m mostly happy because Holland hasn’t blown things up, provides stability, and players know he isn’t on the firing squad, so that stability means a lot.

– And kudos for the Lucic trade, but like the coach who he oversaw, and would have known full chapter and verse his tactics, and would have endorsed them: I think Holland is yesterday’s man, and like his coach who won a Cup a decade ago, he’s not as current as an elite GM ought to be today. He wouldn’t have been my first choice for GM

– I had forgotten about the benching of Modano so that he sat on 1,499 games. That’s just an as$hole coach/manager/human being. Holland was the GM

– I think by limiting mistakes, our organization will win a Cup, with Holland as GM. But he’s not all that: the best the Oilers could have hoped for knowing all we know. And we got lucky with Tippett

110. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk: Ha.

Send it to the bartender

Payment confirmation is in your twitter DM

111. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk: FTFY

Stop yelling at me.

112. frjohnk says:

who: 1. I don’t think trading Russell alone opens up enough cap space. Also not sure how doable it is.
    3.Trading Larsson alone does not open up enough cap space. Also removes a top 4 dman from the roster. Not an ideal move for a contending team.
    I still think the choice is Hall or Nurse.

Id keep Nurse and trade 2 of Neal, Russell and Larsson.

Neal would be the hardest to trade, it would be with salary retained and an asset going the other way. Russell and Larsson are both UFA the next year, so that might be the two to go.

Id explore trading 2 of the 3 I mentioned to open up cap space to get those complimentary top 6 forwards we need moreso than making space for Hall.

113. Darth Tu says:

DocFan:
    Bag of Pucks,

Pervitin wasn’t it?

114. ArmchairGM says:

I still think the choice is Hall or Nurse.

Trading Russell alone opens up ~$8.5M in cap space according to this:

115. OriginalPouzar says:

Milan Lucic playing on a line with Gaudreau at practice today – its just practice but I like the idea……

116. Professor Q says:

Does anyone think Benning could be a poster boy for head injuries and concussions in the NHL going forward (with studies and whatnot), if only he wasn’t going unnoticed due to being in Edmonton?

It’s been just an unfortunate tale thus far.

117. jtblack says:

Guy walks into LT’s Bar.

“Want to hear a joke?”

Milan Lucic

0 goals in his last 55 NHL games.

That is all

118. Cassandra says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    JimmyV1965,

– The whole Babcock being a super-nova d$ck though puts pause to his boss IMO.

– And kudos for the Lucic trade, but like the coach who he oversaw, and would have known full chapter and verse his tactics, and would have endorsed them: I think Holland is yesterday’s man, and like his coach who won a Cup a decade ago, he’s not as current as an elite GM ought to be today.He wouldn’t have been my first choice for GM

– I had forgotten about the benching of Modano so that he sat on 1,499 games.That’s just an as$hole coach/manager/human being.Holland was the GM

– I think by limiting mistakes, our organization will win a Cup, with Holland as GM.But he’s not all that: the best the Oilers could have hoped for knowing all we know.And we got lucky with Tippett

I agree with every word of this, which makes this the first time that Kinger and I have agreed, though I have found him slowly coming closer day by day. People can change.

119. OriginalPouzar says:

McSorley:

Wow.

Don’t forget some of that context – strict instructions from ownership to NOT rebuild or retool but to do what it takes to keep the playoff streak alive.

Holland was handcuffed quite a bit at the end there (from most accounts).

120. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0: Payment confirmation is in your twitter DM

Yes it is.

It made me think of how great this blog is and what a gracious host LT is.

And Im wondering if everybody on this blog is willing to play a little game that will be fun and also gives back to our most gracious host.

Tomorrow morning, I will have a stats based question. The winner will get bragging rights and I will deposit $50 to the bartender. The winner will then ask a different question the next day and then deposit whatever amount they would like ($5, $10, $50, etc) And so on. I know that this blog has people from all walks of life, rich and poor. So we dont have to announce the amount, just make it known that a deposit has been made.

Maybe it catches on, maybe it doesnt. But thought this would be a nice XMas gift to LT in which this community could give back a bit.

LT, just so you know, I dont have a paypal account. Will look at getting one, if I have trouble, heck I’ll send you cheque:)

121. Oilin4 says:

v4ance:

Hall ($6M) for Manning ($2.25M) Neal ($5.75M) Jesse Puljujarvi’s rights, Broberg and a conditional 2021 2nd rounder if we re-sign Hall BEFORE June 29th.(The mythical 5 for 1!)

Turn it into a part cap dump, part asset trade.The Devils won’t keep Neal past this year but can turn him into another 2nd or 3rd round draft pick via a salary retained deal.

Have you lost your mind? How good do you think Taylor Hall is?

122. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar: Milan Lucic playing on a line with Gaudreau

MASTERBLASTER !!!

123. Cassandra says:

Listening to Dustrock’s playlist now, enjoying it. I just skip the terrible Kanye song to get to the good stuff.

We should have a spotify playlist a day.

124. Oilin4 says:

Professor Q:

It’s been just an unfortunate tale thus far.

Speaking from experience with concussions, they should shut him down for a good long time. At least a month until AFTER they’re sure he’s good. And then another few weeks just to be safe. There’s no surgeries or pills that make broken brains work better.

125. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: New Jersey will be so happy to draft him with the 2022 flames first round pick they trade to acquire Taylor Hall – pick lottery protected for two year and, since the lames miss the 2020 and 2021 playoff, boom its 2022 and first overall.

I completely understand the risk and eventual downside of signing Hall to a contract well into his 30’s (and am myself torn on whether it would be worth it). I don’t disagree with you that signing Hall for 7 yrs may well be detrimental in the long run, whoever choses to do it.

But I have zero interest in Hall joining the Flames over the next 4 or 5 seasons while he’s still an elite player. That coincides with the McDavid and Draisaitl contracts and the Oilers obvious window for contention. It’s possible the Oilers come out ahead this scenario eventually, but that’s playing the long long game waiting for the Flames to feel pain. If he’s not coming back to Edmonton I definitely don’t want to see him join a Pacific Division rival.

126. who says:

ArmchairGM: Trading Russell alone opens up ~$8.5M in cap space according to this:

Clicked on the link but I’m really not sure what you are trying to say here.

127. JimmyV1965 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    JimmyV1965,

– The whole Babcock being a super-nova d$ck though puts pause to his boss IMO.

I’m not sold on Holland as GM. I’m on the fence actually. But the Wings have some great talent bubbling up. Not sure about the whole Holland-Babcock thing either.

128. Oilin4 says:

jp: You’ve mentioned a few times hoping that the Flames trade for Hall and sign him long term.

129. LadiesloveSmid says:

OriginalPouzar:

I mean Khaira & Gagner are practicing on EDM’s top line

130. OriginalPouzar says:

Confirmed by Jack Michaels that none of Nuge, Benning or Kass will be available for tomorrow.

Smith will back up.

————————————

Gregor says:

Nuge skated on his own – (I’m a slight bit concerned but haven’t listened to Tippett yet)

Benning will be “a bit”

131. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar: There is a narrative floating around that he made some short term “all-in” moves to try and get one more cup for the owner. *shrug*

132. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: I like Patrick Russell and I have no issue with him being in the lineup on a daily basis on the fourth line and a depth PK guy. At the same time, I think we know what Russell is and he is exactly that – a 12th forward that doesn’t really have the ability to move up the lineup (well, third line in a pinch).

I agree you’re most probably correct on this. But would like to add that we don’t actually know with any certainty that he can’t score at the NHL level or play up the lineup at some point.

His history suggests it isn’t likely, but a couple of examples come to mind as counterpoints.

Josh Anderson has been mentioned (repeatedly!) by Reja and others as a trade target. He was drafted after scoring 12 goals in the OHL and followed it up by scoring 23 and 27 goals in draft +1 and +2 (51 points in 59 OHL games in Draft +2). Then 7 goals and 18 goals in 2 AHL seasons (25 goals in 111 AHL games total). Based on his own history and boxcars he obviously wasn’t going to score much at the NHL level. Except then he did: 17, 19 (in 63GP) and 27 goals in his 3 NHL seasons. Huh.

And the original Fernando Pisani himself. Entered college at age 20 and scored 12, 16, 14, 14 goals (Russell scored 10 and 20 in his 2 years). Then 2.5 years in the AHL (in his last season scoring 41-17-15-32 compared to Russell’s 51-18-20-38 this past year). Then he entered the NHL, at essentially the same age as Russell, and proceeded to score 16, 18. 14, 13 goals. Over 450 career games even with that late start.

The above means very little in projecting Russell except that we can’t rule him out as a 15 goal scorer based on his boxcars. He probably is a 4th liner, which is fine. He’s bringing lots of useful things to the Oilers right now. But you never know, maybe there’s more.

133. meanashell11 says:

Bag of Pucks:

I’ve been to that bar in Barcelona!

134. northerndancer says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Great Dane underdog story.

I groaned out loud at your shaggy dog story Bruce. And concur. Thanks. Dad jokes. cheers! 🙂

135. dustrock says:

Cassandra:
    Listening to Dustrock’s playlist now, enjoying it.I just skip the terrible Kanye song to get to the good stuff.

We should have a spotify playlist a day.

Ha ha ha I’ve always been a bigger fan of Kanye’s production than his actual songs. Love the production, the choir with the huge beats. But thanks.

I’d love some more playlists, I’m getting sick of Thunder Road. 😉

Also I left Tool off of the playlist because I thought everyone would skip that, but I’d probably include Pneuma on there too.

136. dustrock says:

Bag of Pucks:

Love the idea of The Dow, sounds like something out of a William Gibson novel.

137. Bag of Pucks says:

meanashell11,

🍻

138. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar: From accounts (which I believe having been somewhat substantiated) it wasn’t for “one more cup” – it was a couple year’s of moves to prolong the playoff streak – he was handcuffed from a rebuild or retool for a while.

Detroit was always trading draft choices for a run at the cup and then at a run at making the playoffs. You pay the price years later unless you get lucky and hit on late rounders consistently which nobody does.

139. dustrock says:

Wonder Llama:

A few killer tracks on the new album for sure. Where Is Her Head, Rylan, Hairpin Turns.

Big Thief – really love a few songs, but this is the polarizing band for me. Love stuff like “UFOF” but I think the praise was getting a bit out of control. Really depends on the vocals for any of Big Thief’s album, there are times I just can’t handle her voice.

I’ll check out Chai.

140. Bag of Pucks says:

dustrock: Love the idea of The Dow, sounds like something out of a William Gibson novel.

Liquor regulations are very loose in Spain. When I worked in Gibraltar, they opened up a bar in La Linea that let you self pour your own draft at the table! They just metered the lines and charged you on total volume. You couldn’t hire enough bouncers for that kind of establishment here!

141. meanashell11 says:

frjohnk: Yes it is.

It made me think of how great this blog is and what a gracious host LT is.

Tomorrow morning, I will have a stats based question.The winner will get bragging rights and I will deposit $50 to the bartender.The winner will then ask a different question the next day and then deposit whatever amount they would like ($5, $10, $50, etc) And so on.I know that this blog has people from all walks of life, rich and poor.So we dont have to announce the amount, just make it known that a deposit has been made.

Maybe it catches on, maybe it doesnt.But thought this would be a nice XMas gift to LT in which this community could give back a bit.

LT, just so you know, I dont have a paypal account.Will look at getting one, if I have trouble, heck I’ll send you cheque:)

It’s not a stats question but a math joke.

Without using a calculator, what is the square root of 69?
    8 something!

142. dustrock says:

Hynes finally fired, wow.

143. Professor Q says:

I prefer French’s, anyway.

144. Professor Q says:

Holy Carp.

Woodcroft also involved in the Babcock fiasco it seems.

Detroit Days.

145. ArmchairGM says:

who: Clicked on the link but I’m really not sure what you are trying to say here.

That mock shows an improved team with $4.5M in cap space next year. If Russell is traded on top of that then Holland has $8.5M in cap space. Nurse does NOT have to be traded to accommodate a high-tier free agent.

146. ArmchairGM says:

Oilin4: Agreed. The move I want to see the Flames make is a 2021 1st for Chris Kreider or Mike Hoffman. Then a 6 or 7 year $5.0 or $5.5M per year contract. Basically becomes Lucic-light.

147. PennersPancakes says:

dustrock: I like that The National added female vocalists on I think every track, it really brightened up their sound, but the last album of theirs I really loved was High Violet and slightly lesser Trouble Will Find Me

This is one of the first times I’ve heard of someone reference The National. I thought about flying to Denver for a weekend early fall to catch their show! Great taste!

Bag of Pucks:

Poland had cavalry. Germany tanks.

In France, instead of going through the expensive and impregnable Maginot Line, they went around it through the Ardennes Forest, and supposedly neutral countries in Belgium and the Netherlands.

They don’t teach history anymore apparently.

149. Todd Macallan says:

Speaking of the National, as much as I love their new album, the song of the year just may be Matt Beringer and Phoebe Bridgers collab Walking On a String. Also known as that amazing song somehow written for the Between 2 Ferns movie.

v4ance:

I’m not really interested in trading either, but I would trade Bouchard before I would trade Broberg.

151. Yeti says:

stephen sheps: It’s true though, if we all liked the same things, it would be a very boring world indeed

Would something like this band (Bent Knee) appeal to your wilder side, or is it too far on the quirky side of town?

152. dustrock says:

Nurse-Bear
    Klefbom-Larsson
    K.Russell-Jones
    Manning

Talk to Reid Wilkins…..

154. v4ance says:

Dmitri Kulikov out for the Jets til the All Star break. I wonder if there’s an opening to trade them Russell considering how thinned their blue line is right now… Maybe get a 3rd rounder to cover the 3rd we’re giving up for Neal’s 21 goals?

155. Jethro Tull says:

Shaky Graves is where it’s at, my friends.

156. OriginalPouzar says:

vance:

Even Staffer has Broberg as untouchable in a Hall trade.

Why would this team want to re-sign Hall and take that risk?

Hall will want get elite money – sure we can talk about Drai money or less for only 5 years but that’s highly unlikely.

Answer: Once.

Is it reasonable to expect him to be better from 29-34 than 23-28?

157. Wonder Llama says:

PennersPancakes: This is one of the first times I’ve heard of someone reference The National. I thought about flying to Denver for a weekend early fall to catch their show!Great taste!

Somehow they make being middle-aged and middle class seem epic.

158. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar: Shit, even if he did sign for 5 x $8.5M, in how many of the last 5 seasons, in his prime mid to late 20s, has he been worth $8.5M?

Answer: Once.

The one year you’re talking about he wasn’t worth 8.5M. He was worth like 13M.

159. Wilde says:

Been quiet for a few days because I’m fully transcribing my manual copy sheets from last year’s tracking onto the new setup that gives me WOWYs, RelT and score effects.

When this is complete, I will be more powerful than ever.

160. Numenius says:

Answer: Once.

Is it reasonable to expect him to be better from 29-34 than 23-28?

Good point. I think it’s too risky to bring him back, even if he signs in summer for Drai money for 5 years.

Hall made the games worth watching when he was here, but now with his injury history, his likelihood of decline, the risk that he’s not a fit with the new group, and simple lack of cap space, I don’t like the bet.

Unless Holland can get rid of Neal for nothing (or the cap goes up significantly), I don’t see how one could afford him without losing one of Nurse or Nuge, and I’d rather keep them.

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    JimmyV1965,

– The whole Babcock being a super-nova d$ck though puts pause to his boss IMO.

Holland had a hard ass coach in Bowman. Who was succeeded by a nice guy in Lewis, and they started losing. So he hired another hard ass coach in Babcock. Detroit set the market paying top dollars for the players to stay or come to Detroit. i.e. He paid premium salary for players to endure the verbal abuse of mind game coaches.

Bowman told Yzerman he would ship his sorry ass to laughing stock expansion Ottawa if he didn’t become a two-way player.

As Chelios said, Holland said he was open for trade requests for anyone who didn’t like Babcock. I don’t think he got any.

Remember Holland’s Russians grew up with Tikhonov, so they probably thought Detroit, with Bowman and Babcock, was heaven.

Holland will probably have to make a public statement about all of this at some point. Ditto Nicholson for his time at Hockey Canada and selecting Babcock to coach over and over again. And all the hockey reporters and media should also.

Most of the players could probably hack it. The problem, as we know now, are the few who cannot, and Holland didn’t seem aware enough to take action for the players who could not hack the abuse.

162. duct tape and foil says:

Trading Larson is so short-sighed right now. He finally looked like “Lars” again last game and I’d have him with Klef and Nurse/Bear as a very solid top 4….finally. We will need a vicious cycle breaker in the playoffs. For now Russell can babysit a revolving door of kids we need to test-run this season (Jones, Lagesson etc) until Benning comes back. I hope they give him a good long break because his next concussion might be his last.

As for Hall – spend the money down the middle: centers (Drai/McDavid/RNH), top 4 defense and in goal. We need to be scouring the league for fast, value wingers who will out-perform playing with our elite centers. We cannot build any depth overpaying older wingers longterm so no Hall is the right move. You also move Neal if you can with no expectations of return. Unlikely, but Old Dutch moved Lucic so anything is possible.

163. Woodguy v2.0 says:

@EdmontonOilers
    The #Oilers have recalled defenceman Joel Persson from the @Condors, placed defenceman Matt Benning on Injured Reserve & assigned defenceman Caleb Jones as well as goaltender Stuart Skinner to Bakersfield. https://t.co/HAGkR9JukF

164. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Wilde:

When this is complete, I will be more powerful than ever.

Wow.

I thought I was a little nuts with my hobby.

Respect.

Darth Tu: Aye, and interestingly after discipline started becoming a bit lax after the occupation of France most of the problems were blamed on alcohol.

Pervitin wasn’t it?

Discipline started becoming lax when they lowered standards for recruitment, because the German and Soviet armies were creating rivers and oceands of blood in Eastern Europe. The Russian people won the war in Europe. The Americans only invaded when the war was basically over and they had to prevent Stalin from taking all of Europe, and there was the Great Race to see who could get to Berlin first.

166. OriginalPouzar says:

Whoa: Benning on IR, Jones to Bakersfield, Persson recalled.

They actually don’t have cap room for a 23 man roster with Benning now on IR.

167. Numenius says:

v4ance:
    Dmitri Kulikov out for the Jets til the All Star break.I wonder if there’s an opening to trade them Russell considering how thinned their blue line is right now…Maybe get a 3rd rounder to cover the 3rd we’re giving up for Neal’s 21 goals?

If they don’t take Russell, would they at least take Manning?

I’m actually a little hesitant to lose Russell this year, given our own injury risk.

168. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: Talk to Reid Wilkins…..

I hold you to a higher standard.

169. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk: Yes it is.

It made me think of how great this blog is and what a gracious host LT is.

Good idea Father.

You can use your credit card on PayPal.

I don’t have a PayPal account either.

170. OriginalPouzar says:

Poor Matt Bennng.

171. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar: I hold you to a higher standard.

Reid’s trolling you Pouzar

172. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: he was handcuffed from a rebuild or retool for a while.

Yes. That was the greater point. I may have mixed up “one more cup” with “a world series championship”.

173. dustrock says:

Wilde:

When this is complete, I will be more powerful than ever.

The Wilde One, Forever

174. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Reid’s trolling you Pouzar

Yes. Me first then McDavid’s parents.

175. russ99 says:

OriginalPouzar,

We should be good under the cap.

Before the move, the Oilers had $183K in space.

$1.4M down, both Jones and Skinner have 2-way deals
    $1M up

176. pts2pndr says:

VanIsleOil:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Love it Bruce!… Lowetide Lounge..perfect

And the “ lowetide Lounge “ it shall be for me. Well done good sir.

177. dustrock says:

Pouzar: Yes. Me first then McDavid’s parents.

Man, there are so many times I wish we could post gifs at Lowetide. This is one of them. lol

178. dustrock says:

pts2pndr: And the “ lowetide Lounge “ it shall be for me. Well done good sir.

So long as we don’t get Leisure Suit Lowetide

179. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0: Good idea Father.

You can use your credit card on PayPal.

I don’t have a PayPal account either.

If you link a bank account your transactions don’t have a fee
    Credit cards transaction cost a few bucks

180. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Whoa: Benning on IR, Jones to Bakersfield, Persson recalled.

They actually don’t have cap room for a 23 man roster with Benning now on IR.

It’s the right move calling up Persson and sending Jones back down. That was a tough go for a couple of periods for Benning, he’ll be back it’s in his blood.

181. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Answer: Once.

Here’s Hall relative goal share of for his career:

10/11 1.7
    11/12 9.7
    12/13 10.6
    13/14 8.7
    14/15 15.1
    15/16 12.9
    16/17 10.7
    17/18 13.1
    18/19 13.2

Can you point out the one year for me?

182. JimmyV1965 says:

ArmchairGM: Both players are excellent skaters and have excellent hands. They are, in fact, great targets for the Oilers next summer. How you see any parallel between them and Lucic is beyond me.

I agree. Kreider and Hoffman have very little in common with Lucic. Would actually love to get Kreider because he is so fast. However, I believe both these guys are 30 next year and five years is a gamble. I thought they were both 27ish.

183. Cassandra says:

Best Albums of 2019

Strand of Oaks — Eraserland
    The Hold Steady — Thrashing thru the Passions

I will brook no disagreement on this.

184. Woodguy v2.0 says:

dustrock: So long as we don’t get Leisure Suit Lowetide

Are you shit talking 16 bit hot tub boobs?

185. LadiesloveSmid says:

Broberg will certainly be a case to follow in the math vs eyes scouting debate.

Nothing jumps off the stats sheet. Neither did Hampus Lindholm’s, I suppose.

186. dustrock says:

Woodguy v2.0: Are you shit talking 16 bit hot tub boobs?

there was a lot of boredom to get to that hot tub

187. Nit64 says:

meanashell11: It’s not a stats question but a math joke.

Without using a calculator, what is the square root of 69?
    8 something!

Only EXACT answers accepted 😉

Do they still teach this?

188. pts2pndr says:

Wonder Llama: I don’t think I’ve listened to any band more in the last decade (with the possible exception of Spoon).

Somehow they make being middle-aged and middle class seem epic.

Off subject but new for your dictionary
    This blog- Lowetide Lounge
    The bartender – our gracious host

My thanks to all who contribute!

189. jp says:

I realize the following is not fully reasonable (exactly how far from reasonable I’m not sure). But I would love, love to see the following for the short term at least.

Hall for Puljujarvi, Benson and a 2nd rounder.
    Hall extended for $9M X 5 years.

Gagner and Russell moved to clear enough space for Hall this season. (Larsson instead if Russell can’t be moved)

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
    Hall-Nuge-Neal
    Granlund-Haas-Russell
    Khaira-Sheahan-Chiasson
    Nygard-Archibald

Nurse-Bear
    Klefbom-Larsson
    Jones-Benning
    Lagesson/Persson/Manning

That’s a playoff team. They can fit Hall at $9M going forward (though it’s a squeeze next season for sure).

It’s most likely not going to happen, and surely not just like this. I for one would be happy though.

190. Reja says:

v4ance:

I don’t know how the jets have the record they do with the make-shift D there icing.

191. LadiesloveSmid says:

pts2pndr: Off subject but new for your dictionary
    This blog-Lowetide Lounge
    The bartender – our gracious host

My thanks to all who contribute!

I prefer barkeep (barmaid..?)

192. OriginalPouzar says:

Listening to Tippett:

– said Benning will be out for a bit and then, when asked if “it was the protocol” he mentioned that he “passed that” but they just want to be careful. Hopefully his head isn’t concussed again….

– Kassian won’t play tomorrow but is likely to skate.

193. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Khaira-Draisaitl-Gagner
    Neal-McDavid-Archibald

Something something glass houses something.

194. pts2pndr says:

dustrock: So long as we don’t get Leisure Suit Lowetide

That would be akin to calling Leon lazy just plain wrong!

195. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bag of Pucks,

There has to be some appreciation of that reality. If not, I’m getting into the lynching supply business. Specials this week on rope, tar, feathers, and redacted history books.

I have all that for sale if you’re interested.

Pitch forks and torches as well.

The moat stays though.

196. JimmyV1965 says:

If we’re looking to the Devils as a trade partner I would be interested in guys like Coleman, Wood and Zacha. They would fill important roles on this team and I could see their production improving once they leave New Jersey. They’re all signed for at least two more years.

I love Hall and hated the trade, but that ship has sailed. Signing him for 5 x $8.5 is a fantasy and injuries are real concern. If Hall is driving our second line, this team is an instant contender. I just don’t have faith this will happen over the long term, due to contract and injuries.

197. OriginalPouzar says:

As an aside, when Mattheson asked Tippett about splitting up Leon and Connor with Nuge out, Tip rambled for a bit, talked about balance, etc. – at the very end he said: “when Nuge comes back maybe we’ll have 3…… what, you don’t like that Jimmy?”.

I don’t think Tip was serious but he did intimate the possibility of the “three center set” that has been much discussed – I would personally be all for it.

198. Munny says:

Wilde: When this is complete, I will be more powerful than ever.

Wicked good conceit. I enjoyed this line a lot.

199. pts2pndr says:

Bag of Pucks: And all this dredging up the past accomplishes what exactly, beyond providing fodder to lawyers for lawsuits?

It’s a different world now. It was a different world then. We get it. Everyone should now govern themselves accordingly.

Very well stated.

200. Cassandra says:

The problem is that it wasn’t actually a different world then. Those players hated it and they talked about it and nobody listened.

O’Sullivan wrote his book four years ago about Crawford and no one listened to him. He wrote the book because he was damaged by the hockey culture. It wasn’t ok then. It was never ok.

Commodore has been talking about Babcock for years and he was ignored. Chelios, Modano, all of this was more or less public information and it was public information because the behaviour was abnormal and damaging even then.

Aliu was first news more than 10 years ago. And we forgot it.

These are not new stories. They are stories that were swept under the rug. This isn’t about tough coaches, it is about abusive coaches, it is about hazing, and it is about concussions. And there was never a time when this was ok.

Newer Comments »