This is an important stretch for the Bakersfield Condors, and the first two games (on the weekend) were losses. Goalie Shane Starrett, who was quality a year ago, is rusty after coming back from injury. Stuart Skinner, who has been the top goalie in recent days (before Starrett’s return) may draw back in today. It’s a big opportunity.
The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, less than two coffees a month offer here.
- New Lowetide: With the Oilers’ minor-league goaltending not good enough, Ilya Konovalov might be the answer
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Josh Archibald, Riley Sheahan show the upward trend of Ken Holland’s offseason moves for the Oilers
- Lowetide: Post-Christmas performance spike has Evan Bouchard pushing for an NHL job with the Oilers
- Lowetide: Central Scouting’s midseason list offers Oilers some strong draft options
- Jonathan Willis: The Oilers’ road forward — and perhaps to a Stanley Cup — requires trusting the kids on defence
- Jonathan Willis: Oilers make a smart two-year bet on Caleb Jones, who has done nothing but improve
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: 3 things from the latest Oilers win: A lacrosse goal, Mike Smith’s resurgence and Connor McDavid’s new linemate
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: A defiant Zack Kassian issues his latest salvo against Matthew Tkachuk: ‘He messed with the wrong guy’
- Lowetide: Dave Tippett’s deployment of Oilers defencemen indicates Kris Russell is vulnerable to trade
- Jonathan Willis: Oilers Notebook: Jujhar Khaira’s future, Caleb Jones’ adaptation to NHL speed
- Lowetide: Projecting William Lagesson’s future with the Edmonton Oilers
- Jonathan Willis: Kailer Yamamoto has impressed the Oilers and especially star linemate Leon Draisaitl
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: 10 bold predictions for the Edmonton Oilers in 2020
- Jonathan Willis: Inside a coach’s impact: How Dave Tippett gets the most out of the Oilers’ players
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Deciding what to do with Darnell Nurse, Mike Smith, Tyler Benson and Evan Bouchard
- Lowetide: Ken Holland’s targets for his first trade deadline with the Oilers.
- Lowetide: Ken Holland’s trade deadline options for the Oilers
- Jonathan Willis: Zack Kassian’s breakout performance presents Oilers GM Ken Holland with a familiar dilemma
- Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects list, winter 2019
CONDORS IN THE LAST 10 GAMES
Markus Granlund is the most impressive forward in this stretch, followed by Tyler Benson and Josh Currie. Offensively, Evan Bouchard and Joel Persson have delivered. Defensively, Jake Kulevich, Bouchard and Dmitri Samorukov are doing good work.
William Lagesson and Matt Benning were sent out for the break by the Oilers, so expect to see both men in action for the Condors this week. I’ll also suggest Skinner gets the start in goal, Starrett had a bad weekend.
I wanted to run this list both as an overview of the top prospects in the system and a possible discussion point of possible trade assets. Seeing this, I go back to the idea of keeping Jesse Puljujarvi for another year. If you can’t get full value, why trade the asset? At least wait to make sure Raphael Lavoie has a year of pro hockey under his belt.
My preference would be to acquire a player who is young and under control. Rentals aren’t going to help Edmonton beyond this season unless major dollars are spent and the Oilers are not flush with cash in the cap department.
My list would start with one of the Toronto wingers, I do like Josh Anderson but so do the CBJ. I think the most likely acquisition is someone like Saad or Zucker.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
A busy Monday show (I’m on the round table at nine with several hooligans) starts at 10, TSN1260. At 10:20 we’ll be joined by Chris Meaney from The Athletic to talk NFL playoffs and Super Bowl matchup, then Connor Halley will pop in at 11 to talk football, Oilers and Japanese television. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.