A Preview of Coming Attractions

Math and ‘saw him good’ are both screaming like Janis Joplin onstage in Monterrey: Evan Bouchard is ready, almost ready, or damned near almost ready. So put the veggies in the mirco and set the table, because it’s close.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, less than two coffees a month offer here.

• New Lowetide: Why the Oilers are more likely to trade Adam Larsson than Kris Russell
  • New Jonathan Willis: PHWA Midseason Awards: Stars, snubs and what they mean for the year-end NHL Awards
  • Lowetide: Is there real trade deadline value in the Edmonton Oilers’ prospect pipeline?
  • Lowetide: ‘Connor McDavid: Whatever It Takes’ works as breaking news, drama and personality profile
  • Lowetide: Oilers prospects Evan Bouchard and Tyler Benson deliver best minor league performances in 20 years
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘Hey, Sparky, can you do that?’: How the Oilers’ AHL video coach got his start as the Islanders’ mascot.
  • Eric Duhatschek: He’s special’: The people who know him best tell the story of how Leon Draisaitl took the NHL by storm
  • Pierre Lebrun: Where all 31 teams stand one month before the trade deadline
  • Lowetide: What do Connor McDavid’s best lines tell us about his optimal linemates?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: I was an AHL coach for a day: Here’s what I learned
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis: Oilers player poll: From the serious to the silly, the players weigh in on best dressed, most superstitious and more
  • Thomas Drance: Inside how ‘Okanagan boy’ Ken Holland helped bring back the Penticton Young Stars tournament
  • Jonathan Willis: Oilers minor-league defenceman Brandon Manning suspended five games for racial slur
  • Jonathan Willis: An updated list of which Oilers are most likely to be traded in 2019-20
  • Lowetide: Kailer Yamamoto gives Oilers a midseason spark, one of the best in team history
  • Lowetide: With the Oilers’ minor-league goaltending not good enough, Ilya Konovalov might be the answer
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Josh Archibald, Riley Sheahan show the upward trend of Ken Holland’s offseason moves for the Oilers
  • Lowetide: Post-Christmas performance spike has Evan Bouchard pushing for an NHL job with the Oilers
  • Lowetide:  Central Scouting’s midseason list offers Oilers some strong draft options
  • Jonathan Willis: The Oilers’ road forward — and perhaps to a Stanley Cup — requires trusting the kids on defence
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Deciding what to do with Darnell Nurse, Mike Smith, Tyler Benson and Evan Bouchard
  • LowetideKen Holland’s targets for his first trade deadline with the Oilers.
  • Lowetide: Ken Holland’s trade deadline options for the Oilers
  • Jonathan Willis: Zack Kassian’s breakout performance presents Oilers GM Ken Holland with a familiar dilemma
  • Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects list, winter 2019

OILERS 2019-20 BLUE

These are five on five numbers via NST. I’ve written two articles at The Athletic recently that pertain to our conversation today, here and here. The first informs us that Evan Bouchard is even strength goal differential 11-8 since Christmas, after going 21-31 leading up to the holidays. The second one discusses the idea of dealing one of Larsson or Russell.

NHLE

This could become pertinent if the Oilers recall Tyler Benson in the next few days. Players like Slepyshev, Gambardella and Currie have played several minor league seasons, so they’re not really comparable (imo) to someone like Benson or Puljujarvi. If you’re a forward, in entry deal and posting 30+ NHLE, that’s a nice neighbourhood.

On defense, there are two true offensive drivers in Joel Persson and Evan Bouchard. Persson, like Slepyshev, is an older player so his totals have to be viewed through a different lens than someone like Bouchard.

PROJECTED 50-MAN

I do think Ken Holland will make more than one big move this summer, my model above sees him sign two free agents and trade for a third-line center. I’m not certain on the money, maybe the team buys someone out, but the trade saves Edmonton a little more than $500,000. I used Hoffman instead of Hall because I don’t want you to use that as the conversation piece. I would prefer Hall, but they’re both excellent options. It’s like choosing stereo speakers at International Stereo in 1975: You’re walking out with something really good.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy show starts at 10, TSN1260. Jonathan Willis from The Athletic talks All-Star weekend and Connor McDavid’s awards collection increasing this summer. Andrew Peard will pop in at 11 to talk Oil Kings and the growing draft buzz around Jake Neighbours. I also have an 11:25 guest who didn’t confirm but may show up anyway, I hope he does because his is a fascinating story. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

394 Responses to "A Preview of Coming Attractions"

« Older Comments
  1. Bulging Twine says:

The 4 top 10ers who have played only 1 top 6 FW season:

James Sheppard – Minnesota – 2006 – 9th – 82gp 15:11 in 08-09
    Magnus Paajarvi – Edmonton – 2009 – 10th – 80gp 15:23 in 10-11
    Brett Connolly – Tampa Bay – 2010 – 6th – 15:03 in 19-20
    Nail Yakupov – Edmonton – 2012 – 1st – 81gp 15:27 in 14-15

Oilers!

2. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

I’m not a fan of the rule in broad strokes but do appreciate the reasoning behind it. Every year the owners of CHL teams see a mass exodus of their top players which hurts the product they can put on the ice.

IMO there should be an exemption for one or two players per NHL club (but a maximum of one per CHL team) who deserve to make the jump to the AHL ahead of schedule. That would have helped guys like Bouchard ramp up their development without spinning their wheels against their age group.

3. Darryl8843 says:

Every piece of electronics I ever bought was from International Stereo. Best store ever. The Dual Turntable you could literally turn it on it’s side without skipping the record. Great for parties. I still use mine today.

4. Gerta Rauss says:

ashley:
    Ok music fans:

I’m looking for singing groups/bands or songs with GREAT vocal harmonies.Examples are:

Mumford and Sons
    The Lumineers
    Fun
    Skydiggers

Any suggestions?

Dada

A trio out of southern California

These 2 are off their first album

5. Bulging Twine says:

That #1 overall stands out amongst the whiffs. That is a colossal sin.

Jesse Puljujarvi from the 2016 draft. #4 overall has yet to play a top 6 season. If he becomes a whiff….at #4…..these things cannot happen.

6. Bulging Twine says:

Recently I found that of the 190 top 6 ish FW’s (15:00 minutes/game, 35+ games)(6.1 per team), this is where they came from:

116 first round 61.1%
    26 round 2 – 13.7%
    17 round 3 – 8.9%
    7 round 4 – 3.7%
    3 round 5 – 1.6%
    7 round 6 – 3.7%
    4 rd 7 – 2.1%
    10 undrafted – 5.3%

I wanted to find out more about those 2nd rounders assuming that most came from the top 10 of the second round. Here is what I found:

7 came from the top 10 picks of the 2nd round that is 27% of the 2nd round picks

6 came from the middle of the second round – 23%

13 came from the last third of the 2nd round – 50%

7. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy v2.0: I won a King Kong board game on Popcorn Playhouse.

True story.

8. buck yoakam says:

popcorn playhouse!
    the noon show!

9. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: Nope but AHL ready.

Howson said it would be up to Broberg and EDM was very conscious of not forcing him to move if he didn’t want to.

I think they want to go to lengths of avoiding another JP situation if the player isn’t comfortable.

Broberg was one of the youngest players in the draft and still doesn’t turn 19 until June.

If he were drafted out of the CHL he still wouldn’t be AHL eligible next season. Lots of DMen don’t go to the AHL in their draft +2 and are fine.

Won’t stop everyone from screaming BUST if he decides to stay another year though.

10. bwar says:

Reja: If you play to hard it could backfire on you. A happy worker is a productive worker.

I think that’s already been proven wrong based on Nurse’s last contract ordeal. I’m very concerned that Nurse’s camp is going to start negotiations at upwords of $8M and that would just be a cap killer.

The rule benefits NHL teams bigly. The CHL produces most of the players for the NHL. The rule prevents the tragedy of the commons, and maintains the quality of play in the CHL.

Lamorello is an old American. So he doesn’t care if he pisses on the CHL.

12. bwar says:

Woodguy v2.0: The way Howson talked about Brogerg on Stauffer’s show I wouldn’t be surprised to see him spend another year in the SHL.

If he were drafted out of the CHL he still wouldn’t be AHL eligible next season.Lots of DMen don’t go to the AHL in their draft +2 and are fine.

I’d really love to see a full season of Broberg and Berglund together in the AHL.

13. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: Not to sound pretentious or anything, and I respect Speeds and the work he does, but I “confirmed” this months ago and have posted it many times on this blog and prior in today’s comments.

Sorry, just don’t feel we “needed” a “Speeds confirmation”.

So “we” do like to know if Mike confirms it.

Your mileage obvious varies but I and others defer to Mike over everyone on this stuff.

PJO and Speeds were commenting on LT’s old site before I found it.

14. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Gerta Rauss: I got to pan for gold and was disappointed to find out they were nickels wrapped in tin foil

I could never figure out that game either as it didn’t make much sense.

I think they got a lot of their prizes from the discontinued pile at Woodwards. 🙂

15. ChiliChunk says:

Is Puljujarvi suspended currently? I looked at the Liiga player stats page out of curiosity and it shows him as suspended but I can’t find any mention of it anywhere else.

16. hunter1909 says:

bwar: I’m very concerned that Nurse’s camp is going to start negotiations at upwords of $8M and that would just be a cap killer.

One of the reasons you want to have experienced management like K Holland instead of wet behind the ears tendency to panic types. The point being, Nurse’s agent can ask for whatever he likes, but Holland doesn’t need to pay it.

What you legitimately dread is: MacT’s “Let’s pay a third liner 6 million per season then crow to the press how we’ve developed a 1st line centre-horcoff” strategy.

17. hunter1909 says:

You got to pan for gold??

18. duct tape and foil says:

If Nashville continues to fade, and we can somehow pry Bonino out of their roster, that’s when I’d bring up Benson for a real nice 1-2 bump to the roster.

Nashville is probably going to lose both Smith and Granlund off their wings as UFA, and JP might be a guy they see as a cheap substitute who they could develop. I also include Russell in the deal as they could use some vet help on defense next year. Russell is better than any of their existing vets outside the top 3 and you would think cowboys would go to Nashville. While Nashville spent relatively close to the cap this year, they do watch their pennies, and Russell’s contract might actually be appealing from that perspective.

So JP and Russell for Bonino and maybe a throw away contract like Tinordi to help offset Russell salary next year. Sure we only get Bonino for a full season and quarter (plus hopefully 2 playoffs) but he’d solidify the 3rd line and I’d say we are a hot goaltender away from contention.

OP is a corporate lawyer who vets multi-million dollar deals/contracts. I think he can provide a pretty reliable reading of the CBA.

20. Bulging Twine says:

As I look at these players and look for common themes (aside from the team) – from the ones I am familiar with I would say that they had individual talents but perhaps hockey sense or an ability to make plays with other players was a shortcoming. Their ability to see the ice, read what’s going on.

Puljujarvi hasn’t shown this ability yet at the NHL level either. I sure saw it at the short sample world jr’s though (I didn’t see any of his games in Finland that year).

Yakupov and Puljujarvi can get open for a pass reception and shot. With JP it’s his failure to make a good play to a teammate if the shot or skating with the puck option isn’t there. Or hasn’t shown up yet.

21. elgruntus says:

Noon Show, Gabby (don’t call me Gaetan) Haas

22. Gerta Rauss says:

hunter1909: You got to pan for gold??

I think the birthday kids got to pan for gold at the end of the show

You’d shovel a bunch of sand into the strainer and Eric Neville would strain it, and the gold would be left. You’d grab your gold and the next kid in line would be up

That’s how I remember it anyway although the memory of a 5 year old is notoriously unreliable LoL

23. Woodguy v2.0 says:

godot10:
    OP is a corporate lawyer who vets multi-million dollar deals/contracts.I think he can provide a pretty reliable reading of the CBA.

Sure, but why care if someone like PJO chimes in Speeds’ take?

24. ArmchairGM says:

Munny: I’m not sure what the urgency would be?

To see if Benson can unlock Chiasson on the 4th line?

He gets more TOI, and more Important-TOI at that, in Bako.There is nothing wrong with him being there.

We already have Bear, Jones, Yama, Haas, Nygard, PRusty playing as rooks on the big squad. Persson too if he returns.That’s a lot of players to be breaking into the League at one time.

The urgency is the trade deadline. If Benson can fill a hole on the left side it crosses one more thing off Holland’s To Do list. He needs a 10-game trial to see what we have in him.

25. duct tape and foil says:

No problem at all with Broberg playing another year in SHL. Bergland is the guy you want to sign this summer. He might be ready to be a 6/7 dman now and might replace Larsson as our RH defense-first guy the year after.

26. Harpers Hair says:

Woodguy v2.0: Sure, but why care if someone like PJO chimes in Speeds’ take?

The answer lies in his first sentence.

27. Ribs says:

Woodguy v2.0: Sure, but why care if someone like PJO chimes in Speeds’ take?

The more confirmation the better, I say!

28. Woodguy v2.0 says:

duct tape and foil:

I don’t know the player well.

Rundown?

29. Side says:

Ribs: The more confirmation the better, I say!

I can confirm that Speeds and OP are correct.

30. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy v2.0: I could never figure out that game either as it didn’t make much sense.

I think they got a lot of their prizes from the discontinued pile at Woodwards.

I think they changed the format of the show as the years went on

My only recollection of my experience is the gold panning and the nickels

Later, I remember this big wall of prizes that you had a chance to win but I don’t remember the how or why

31. Ribs says:

Side: I can confirm that Speeds and OP are correct.

Excellent!

32. leadfarmer says:

Sorry, just don’t feel we “needed” a “Speeds confirmation”.

Thats great, but sometimes its nice to hear from someone who doesnt own every third post and is a grey hair when it comes to this blog

33. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Side: I can confirm that Speeds and OP are correct.

I can confirm that Side has confirmed that Speeds and OP are correct.

34. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Gerta Rauss: I think they changed the format of the show as the years went on

My only recollection of my experience is the gold panning and the nickels

35. Ribs says:

Woodguy v2.0: I can confirm that Side has confirmed that Speeds and OP are correct.

CONFIRMED!

36. Jethro Tull says:

Toot Toot!

If your take away from this was PJO was trying to subvert the work you did in anyway, eat a snickers or the healthy equivalent that gives you that serotonin boost.

Feel better?

You do good work OP, we know you do.

37. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Ribs: Excellent!

38. Ribs says:

Woodguy v2.0: I can confirm that another long-timer Ribs thinks that’s Side’s comment is excellent.

CONFIRMED!

lol

39. dustrock says:

Because I am lazy and poor at math I like nice visuals for stats comparisons.

Ran across this guy on twitter who is a Habs fan who has what seems like a fun and quick player vs. player or team vs. team comparison chart.

He was posting a comparison on Kreider and Zucker, who look quite comparable, albeit with Zucker being under contract for longer.

40. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy v2.0: I remember throwing a styofoam “snowball” at a grid with nails on it so the balls would stick.

So…. You were on this show quite a lot?

41. Jethro Tull says:

ChiliChunk:

“Suspended” in Finnish is very close to the word for “Traded”.

42. Side says:

Any Woodguy experts here that can confirm Woodguys confirmation of my confirmation?

Thanks.

EDIT: NM, I see Ribs has covered it.

43. Gerta Rauss says:

oh yeah…that rings a bell…

44. Oil2Oilers says:

I hope his calm does not turn into Jultzing, for all our sales.

45. ArmchairGM says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Micah Blake McCurdy has EDM’s playoff chances at 69% (nice) today.

Dom Luszczyszyn has EDM at 70%.

Really? Dom’s model HATES the Oilers.

46. Woodguy v2.0 says:

hunter1909: So…. You were on this show quite a lot?

Once.

Watched it a lot.

47. GB&Q says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Unleash the Archers are a Canadian Treasure!!

48. Woodguy v2.0 says:

ArmchairGM: Really? Dom’s model HATES the Oilers.

He mentioned the uptick in 5v5 scoring played a big part of it.

The other part is that he has them at ~94 pts. Before it was ~90pts but all the other team’s has stumbled so bad 94pts *probably* makes the playoffs.

As the number of games remaining comes down the playoff cut-line comes into sharper focus and in the WC it’s actually dropped over the last month so points already accrued play a bigger role.

49. JimmyV1965 says:

godot10:
    The rule benefits NHL teams bigly.The CHL produces most of the players for the NHL.The rule prevents the tragedy of the commons, and maintains the quality of play in the CHL.

Lamorello is an old American.So he doesn’t care if he pisses on the CHL.

50. Woodguy v2.0 says:

GB&Q:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Unleash the Archers are a Canadian Treasure!!

First. I heard of em.

Right up my alley.

51. Woodguy v2.0 says:

duct tape and foil:

Bonino would be ideal for EDM’s roster.

52. GB&Q says:

Woodguy v2.0,

“Apex” is a fantastic rekked.

53. Fuge Udvar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Bump the draft age back up to 19

54. Woodguy v2.0 says:

GB&Q:
    Woodguy v2.0,

“Apex” is a fantastic rekked.

On it!

55. dustrock says:

Woodguy v2.0: Bonino would be ideal for EDM’s roster.

1 more year at $4.100m. 5 years older than Pageau but compares very well.

56. OriginalPouzar says:

doritogrande:
    All about pinching the pennies in goal/up front to afford more play driving forwards

This may be true with some GMs, but I don’t think this is how Ken Holland is wired. Be prepared for a run at Holtby, folks.

Holland has never been a guy that seeks out top end pricey tenders, has he?

57. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Now you’re going to make me read the CBA again.

You’re right that capfriendly might have that a bit wrong.

I remember the RFA years sliding, but still burning an ELC year.

So if Bouchard started the year with 7 RFA years and 3 ELC years owed to EDM and his contract slid then he would start next year with 7 RFA years and 2 ELC years owed to EDM.

Stay tuned while I go hunting.

The ten NHL game threshold goes to a year of the ELC burning. It doesn’t matter if its CHL or AHL. Giving his signing age of 18, Bouchard’s contract was eligible to slide twice and if he doesn’t play 10 NHL games this year (regular season and playoffs) then it does not burn a year of his ELC and there are 3 years left.

The year vested towards UFA status, burning an RFA year, is 40 games on the roster (not games player) – we’re passed that threshold.

58. geowal says:

Andy Dufresne:
    Is it all based on conjecture on his part? or is he claiming talks have actually occured?

At first glance, I might do this deal.

No talks have occurred. These are some of the “better” fan proposed trades that are then pitched to (presumably) neutral execs. Answer: either side could say no. Also was a Nurse for Ehlers deal where WPG says no and a Puljujarvi for Pageau deal where Edm says no (which surprised me a little. Exec valued the Oilers contractual control and cited the loss of the Neal pick.

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: THAT’S WHAT I REMEMBER!!

If they play more than 10 NHL games one ELC year is burned.

If they play less than X (not sure of the number, will look it up)NHL games then a RFA year IS NOT tolled and they keep an RFA year while burning a ELC year.

ie) Drai burned a ELC year but not a RFA year when he played 37 games in 14/15

Thanks for the trigger, I knew something else was there.

If I remember correctly, Leon was sent back the day before the team played the 40th game.

60. OriginalPouzar says:

Material Elvis:
    The Islanders have a very strange development plan for him.He has been in the NHL, scratched, for the majority of the season.He’s probably a better defender than Bouchard, but Bouchard will definitely put up more offense.I prefer the way the Oilers are developing Bouch.

Dobson wasn’t eligible for the AHL this year so it was NHL or back to the CHL.

For a while there, they were healthy scratching him to keep him below the 10 game threshold when they were deciding if they should send him back to junior.

They passed the ELC burning threshold and have now past the threshold to vest a year towards UFA status.

61. defmn says:

JimmyV1965: I don’t get this. How does it benefit NHL teams? It’s not like junior hockey would disappear.

It wouldn’t. The argument I hear most often is that ticket sales would suffer if teams lost their best players but that is easily solved with a transfer fee similar to what the NHL has with some of the European leagues.

‘One size fits all’ rules always produce outliers.

62. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    OriginalPouzar,

Maybe I didn’t phrase my question well because you missed the crux of my question.I’ll try again from a different angle.

How is his transition from skating forwards to backwards?Have the actual mechanics of his skating between the two directions improved visibly?Specifically, when he recognizes he has to start moving south to protect the zone but keep the opposing player in front oh him: how’s that movement look where he makes the change in the direction he’s facing?

Of the attributes he didn’t grade favourably on in various scouting reports that was the one I haven’t seen you comment on yet as an area of improvement.

Thanks, btw, for the frequent prospect updates.

63. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Micah Blake McCurdy has EDM’s playoff chances at 69% (nice) today.

Dom Luszczyszyn has EDM at 70%.

3 points up on the playoff cut-line with games in hand (and the tiebreak against pretty much all relevant teams) – not insurmountable to lose but its somewhat of a significant “gap”.

64. Side says:

OriginalPouzar: Sorry, I’m not qualified to provide a reliable opinion on that technical detail.

I bet you Speeds would know…

65. OriginalPouzar says:

Jethro Tull:
    Toot Toot!

Feel better?

You do good work OP, we know you do.

66. OriginalPouzar says:

It woudn’t surprise me either if he stayed and played for Skelfeeta again.

I was simply responding to the position that he shouldn’t come over because he’s not NHL ready with the position that, I agree he won’t be NHL ready but he could still come over and play in the AHL.

Yes, listened to Howson on Oilers Now last week (provided a summary on here) – what I interpreted was that, for sure, they will take the player’s wants and views in to account, however, they will have more direct input and say as opposed to this year where they essentially left it 100% up to the player.

I don’t think they would force him but, if the team does want him over, I think they would “encourage it”.

Don’t know if the team wants that at this point – nor does the team I don’t think.

67. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: “we” as in the denizens of this board have relied on Mike/Speeds for CBA stuff for years as he’s a walking encyclopedia of it.

So “we” do like to know if Mike confirms it.

PJO and Speeds were commenting on LT’s old site before I found it.

This was simply not something that really needed to be confirmed as it has been confirmed for months including with review of the direct CBA sections, which had been posted on here, etc.

Not everyone reads every comment on here I’m sure, so yes, stuff gets repeated – I have been citing this particular piece of information, essentially weekly, for months though.

68. OriginalPouzar says:

ChiliChunk:

He did get 2 plus 10 for a hit from behind the other day – it wasn’t overly egregious though.

69. OriginalPouzar says:

I wonder what will happen with the CHL/NHL agreement when the draft age is increased by a year?

Its going to happen.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Bonino would be ideal for EDM’s roster.

I don’t like his $4M for next season.

Essentially this team has zero cap space to improve via external acquisition – they may not even have enough to keep re-sign the currents (Kass, Bear, Nurse plus back up goal plus the other roster fill outs).

Any external improvement will be predicated on cap out – likely Russell or Larsson (but could be a Neal buyout – god, no more dead cap space please).

Is Bonino the guy we want to use that $4M on for next year?

I mean, Russell for Boninio this year (not that Rusty would waive for it) would be great but now we’ve used that $4M on Boninio for next year and I don’t think he’s value for it.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

Side: I bet you Speeds would know…

Hardy har.

Of course, Speeds can answer the unanswered question if he has the knowledge – in addition, I guess, to answering the questions that have been answered, multiple times since the summer.

72. Scungilli Slushy says:

Bag of Pucks:
    international Stereo was great. Still have a good sounding pair of Technics speakers from them. Analog or death!!!

But Audio Ark and National Music had the serious shiznit.

If I ever win the lottery, some Bang & Olufsen rep will be earning a commission the size of LT’s veggie waver. Why am I picturing the one the maid used in the Brady Brunch?

Electrostatics pan to the extreme. We each picked and album side and on your pick you got to sit in the sweet spot.

It was so clean you couldn’t tell how loud it was. Until you left his house with ringing ears. His car stereo of course custom was better than most home systems.

One problem was I couldn’t listen to my own for a few days because it sounded like there were pillows strapped to the speakers.

I had from Audio Ark an Oracle table, NAD amp and deck, Energy 22 speakers.

The Energy’s were a bit bright and not bassy, but clean and efficient. I upgraded the amp, and for the life of me I can’t remember the brand. I think it was maybe Audio Research.

All uni students need to spend their money on audio!

73. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: Holland has never been a guy that seeks out top end pricey tenders, has he?

He’s the opposite.

He was the fancystats poster boy for not over paying for goaltending.

74. Scungilli Slushy says:

ashley:
    Ok music fans:

Mumford and Sons
    The Lumineers
    Fun
    Skydiggers

Any suggestions?

I’ve always loved the sound of the Finn brothers singing together (Split Enz, Crowded House).

Saw them at Brisbane University at the first warm up gig for their Woodface tour. 600 or less people, unbelievable musicians and singers. The brothers voices are perfect together.

Also great songwriting if you like their style.

75. Scungilli Slushy says:

Neil Finn is the newest member of Fleetwood Mac oddly enough.

76. ashley says:

Andy Dufresne,

Thanks everyone! Lots to listen to. Much appreciated.

A

77. VanIsleOil says:

The Finn brothers from New Zealand. Early 80’s, they were killing the New Wave sound back then. Loved their True Colours album. Those brothers could sing…

Saw them At the Jubilee Auditorium after that album was released…sublime show

78. dustrock says:

Woodguy v2.0: He’s the opposite.

He was the fancystats poster boy for not over paying for goaltending.

Osgood and Legace for the win

79. SwedishPoster says:

There is one area where math and eye disagrees on Bouchard. Age. Math says 20, eye test says 46 and owning a small hardware store.

80. pts2pndr says:

The reason they lowered it as I remember was a pending court case that they felt they would lose.

81. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: Not quite 100% correct on the RFA point – its not games played, its games on the roster – sitting in the pressbox counts.

Yes, it’s “on the roster” and not “gp”

82. Scungilli Slushy says:

I was there!

83. Scungilli Slushy says:

Check out Crowded House if you haven’t. Dropped the synths and went to a more simple production style which Neil wanted to move to.

Some really nice music as I see it.

84. SwedishPoster says:

Marcus Pettersson getting his game to a point where he signs for five years at 4m is kinda crazy if you saw him in the SHL his draft +3 season. He was really bad, like worst on his team bad. But he’s kept developing and now he’s a longterm solution for the Pens. Good for him.

85. Scungilli Slushy says:

Ha!

86. Scungilli Slushy says:

Can’t get left behind on the Pettersson train.

87. Alfieboy says:

Earth Wind & Fire
    Poco
    Crowded House (esp the Together Alone and Woodface albums)
    Level 42
    Pernice Brothers
    Simon & Garfunkel (of course)
    Teenage Fanclub
    Fountains of Wayne
    Jayhawks
    Seals & Crofts

88. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: Yes, I get that, I know who both of those guy are and, as I said, I respect the work and knowledge of Speeds.

Your contributions are appreciated but you can’t whine and demand respect above all others.

That’s not the way it works.

Tippett and McDavid seem to have gotten to Kassian. He is saying all the right things today. None of the nonsense that was said in the immediate aftermath.

Rishaug and Spector are still trying to provoke a bloodbath. The mainstream media sucks.

90. Bulging Twine says:

From 2003 – 2013 there have been 37 FW’s taken in the top 5

only 1 has played fewer than 2 top 6 minute seasons

NAIL YAKUPOV

Bulging Twine:
    From 2003 – 2013 there have been 37 FW’s taken in the top 5

only 1 has played fewer than 2 top 6 minute seasons

NAIL YAKUPOV

Dallas Eakins is a hell of a coach. With McLellan on the tag team. Hairgel and Flattop did Nail in.

92. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:
    Tippett and McDavid seem to have gotten to Kassian.He is saying all the right things today.None of the nonsense that was said in the immediate aftermath.

Yup, I was happy listening to his verbal today.

Sounds like he likely won’t go “looking for trouble” but, of course, will play hard and try and get his bangs in.

Hopefully he is able to control himself better if things aren’t going his way.

What I wasn’t a huge fan of was when he was talking about how big the two points are now and how primary they are and how taking penalties like that aren’t an opinion (paraphrasing here, from memory) – well, Zack, that was also the case 3 games ago….

93. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t like his $4M for next season.

Is Bonino the guy we want to use that $4M on for next year?

They have the space depending on other adds and who goes out.

Their budget needs to be 3.5-4.5 to fill the spot properly.

94. Woodguy v2.0 says:

dustrock: Osgood and Legace for the win

He *may* have gone too far.

🙂

95. Bulging Twine says:

godot10: Dallas Eakins is a hell of a coach.With McLellan on the tag team.Hairgel and Flattop did Nail in.

Could be onto something here

12-13 Ralph Krueger 48 – 17 – 14 – 31 .65 14:34

13-14 Dallas Eakins 63 – 11 -13 -24 .38 14:19

14-15 Dallas Eakins 31 – 4 – 4 – 8 .26 14:59
    Craig MacTavish 5 – 0 – 0 – 0 14:12
    Todd Nelson 46 – 10 – 15 – 25 .54 15:56

15-16 Todd McLellan 60 – 8 -15 – 23 .38 14:13

and that’s all she wrote for the #1 overall pick in 2012 for the Oilers

I do feel Yakupov has shortcomings as I stated above but what would have become of him if Krueger or Nelson coached for more than a year?

96. Scungilli Slushy says:

I think Nail did Nail in.

Not enough juice to play the way he thinks he should.

Hairboys didn’t help but it starts with the players. Guys that make it self motivate, like Bear who got his fitness together for his last chance Texaco and finds himself with an NHL career now.

97. Bag of Pucks says:

That sounds like an epic system. Well worth the deafening.

98. Alfieboy says:

Message to My Girl…amazing.
    Neil Finn’s solo records are also v good. Especially Try Whistling This and One Nil.

99. Bulging Twine says:

Btw anyone think Eakins will be coaching the Ducks next year? As an Oiler fan, I hope so.
    Look at Gibsons save % year over year. Swarm! More swarm! Not enough! Abandon the Ricki Box, everyone to the boards!

100. Bag of Pucks says:

OriginalPouzar: Hardy har.

It’s a conversational comments section not a monument to your ego, though it is starting to function primarily as the latter some days.

Hey, remember when you posted your shirtless vacation photos like Lowetide was your personal Instagram account?

Good times.

101. Bulging Twine says:

Bulging Twine:
    From 2003 – 2013 there have been 37 FW’s taken in the top 5

only 1 has played fewer than 2 top 6 minute seasons

NAIL YAKUPOV

The important thing is, is it going to happen again with Puljujarvi?

I wonder what Tippett would think of Puljujarvi. I like Tipp.

Puljujarvi REALLY REALLY doesn’t want to come back here.
    What the heck happened?!

102. Woodguy v2.0 says:

godot10:

Tippett said he shouldn’t have taken the penalty after the game.

Holland said he shouldn’t have taken the penalty when interviewed about this.

Tippett said they “need the 2 points above all else” and that “no one in the locker is thinking about it (retribution on Tkachuk) today”

Kassian finally said today its about the 2 points.

Eventually it sinks in.

103. Woodguy v2.0 says:

When did The Dementor change to Hair Gel?

Inquiring minds want to know.

104. Bank Shot says:

They should use my idea for the NHL draft. First round is a free for all.

All the other rounds are for players 19+.

That way you still get to see the exceptional talents in the NHL at 18/19 while also making the draft more strategic and less of a crapshoot.

105. Andy Dufresne says:

It was a great kids show and Eric Neville brought a wierd sort of “talking to kids” adult humour into it.

Glad for you that you are a PCPH Alumni….My wife is too. Sadly somehow I never made the cut….

How I yearned for a handful of Golden Nuggets.

OriginalPouzar: Hardy har.

No one hangs on to every word of every poster, trust me. Speeds has been the cap expert since the cap arrived, so that’s going to be a thing you’ll have to deal with over time. It does seem as though you have an appetite to be recognized, there’s not one damn thing wrong with that. I would suggest starting a blog. I’ll put it on my blogroll and people can visit/comment. That way, you can link to the date when you said certain things. just a suggestion not trying to push you away.

107. Andy Dufresne says:

No pretense. I can coroborate OP’s multiple disclosures.

(Im not a lawyer….but a play one on the interwebs 🙂 )

108. Silver Streak says:

Woodguy v2.0: You’re contributions are appreciated but you can’t whine and demand respect above all others.

That’s not the way it works.

amen….amen.

109. Andy Dufresne says:

LALALALALALALALAALALALAL !!! (FIngers in Ears)

110. Nit64 says:

Andy Dufresne:
    Steven Ellis of The Hockey News recently penned an article where he looked at all the players in the AHL All-Star game and picked 7 players he views as likey candidates for recall sometime soon.

7 candidates from amongst all AHL teams.

Of the 7….. 2 were Bakersfield Condors.

Tyler Benson and Evan Bouchard.

Did Woodcroft install a sous vide in the Bake? Prospects seem to be coming out just right.

111. Andy Dufresne says:

Please refrain from breaking the fourth wall.

Those shiny little nuggets were real…. I know…I was sitting on my living room floor just 24 inches from the TV screen.

112. Andy Dufresne says:

And also to the word for “Quit”

113. Reja says:

Bulging Twine: The important thing is, is it going to happen again with Puljujarvi?

I wonder what Tippett would think of Puljujarvi.I like Tipp.

Puljujarvi REALLY REALLY doesn’t want to come back here.
    What the heck happened?!

He quit his job. ( unable to collect UIC) and went home.

114. Andy Dufresne says:

You rememeber it exactly right.

Except the part about nickels.

115. Andy Dufresne says:

i trust OP….but I also appreciate the coroboration from other trusted sources

These things can be tricky as some of your earlier posts about the CBA show us.

116. unca miltie says:

I saw him live twice this year, once in November in Bakersfield and 8 days ago in Ontario. He is a different player. The intensity is there, one once in the whole game did I see him relax a bit and that was on the power play. he was solid defensively as well. Ontario plays big just like the Kings and Bouchard faired well. He is definitely close.

117. Harpers Hair says:

Lowetide: No one hangs on to every word of every poster,trust me. Speeds has been the cap expert since the cap arrived, so that’s going to be a thing you’ll have to deal with over time. It does seem as though you have an appetite to be recognized, there’s not one damn thing wrong with that. I would suggest starting a blog. I’ll put it on my blogroll and people can visit/comment. That way, you can link to the date when you said certain things. just a suggestion not trying to push you away.

In other words…get over it.

BTW…when I grow up I want to be Joe Walsh.

118. Andy Dufresne says:

I can confirm that SIDE is correct about Speeds and OP.

119. Andy Dufresne says:

Kids got to ask Muskeg riddles….and they got a prize if they stumped him.

Woodguy asked him what Wayne Gretkys Corsi Rel was.

Hence Woodguy won a King Kong board game.

And thank you for differentiating “gold panning” AND “the nickels”…..obviously two seperate activities

120. Ice Sage says:

I tripped out on that LP spinning with the geometric shapes for hours. Music was whack, too – new age with enough snarl to avoid scorn

121. Andy Dufresne says:

I coroborate this confirmation

122. Andy Dufresne says:

Fascinating. Thank You.

No to Pageau for JP….who was the Edmonton exec…Tambellini

123. Andy Dufresne says:

HA!

124. Andy Dufresne says:

You’re Top 3 on this site in my books OP……and I have no idea who PJO is.

Your content is Top Drawer.

Top shelf where mama keeps the peanut butter.

I disagree with you occasionally, but you conduct yourself respectfully and with integrity, which I really appreciate. Its rare on the interwebs.

125. Andy Dufresne says:

I always said, If I was the Coach Id ask JP to not worry about scoring for a handful of games and to just go out there and create a half dozen hits where he seperates the man from the puck.

JP is a Man-Child Bandy player, which you cant really fault him for at age 18 and 19…but at some point someone has got to coach that out of him.

Reja: He quit his job. ( unable to collect UIC) and went home.

That’s misleading. He didn’t sign a contract, and chose to play in Finland. I have no quarrel with his decision. Also have no quarrel with Ken Holland waiting another year.

127. defmn says:

I don’t expect to see Bouchard in the NHL this season unless the Oilers fall out of the playoff race but I think it is worth mentioning that there is a line of thought that burning a year off the ELC is not such a bad thing for teams.

It allows them to negotiate a long term contract with a young guy before he fully hits his stride and that that can save cap dollars if they identify the right player early enough.

Just a thought to give a different perspective on the subject. The 40 game line seems more important the way RFA contracts are going.

128. Andy Dufresne says:

haha….nice….you give as good as you take.

defmn:

130. defmn says:

Lowetide: That’s misleading.He didn’t sign a contract, and chose to play in Finland. I have no quarrel with his decision. Also have no quarrel with Ken Holland waiting another year.

Totally agree with this. Puljujarvi gets to do what he thinks is best for him and Holland needs to do what he thinks is best for the team that hired him to make these decisions.

131. Andy Dufresne says:

Whats your connection to Brisbane?

132. defmn says:

Lowetide: Agreed. I tend to be less worried about cutting so close to the bone, because people have memories and pissing them off can cost you. Leon is a recent example.

Let’s hope Nurse isn’t the next example.

133. Andy Dufresne says:

HA! grymt bra !

134. Andy Dufresne says:

Woodguy, OP, Speeds, and PJO are all part of the solution.

135. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: They have the space depending on other adds and who goes out.

Their budget needs to be 3.5-4.5 to fill the spot properly.

136. OriginalPouzar says:

Message Received:

Go Oilers!

Go Condors!

Go Rest of the Prospects!

137. Andy Dufresne says:

Not a big deal….but I think you may be under estimating Kassians intellegence.

I believe he knows its about the two points.

I also take him at his word when he says that Parros clarified for him what is legal and what is not.

He was reacting to what he beleived was an illegal hit (one an illegal hit to the head).

Its fine on paper to say “control your emotions”. But in reality, some hits are ergregious and supercede “the controlled response”

Professional athletes know this. Its the reason Kassian got emails from players around the league, supporting his actions. Its also the reason he is so well repsected in the Oilers dressing room.

#MarkMessier

defmn: Let’s hope Nurse isn’t the next example.

I think Nurse will get paid.

139. Harpers Hair says:

Lowetide: I think Nurse will get paid.

Speaking of getting paid.

Pageau returns from 2 games off for injury and scores his 20th of the season.

140. Andy Dufresne says:

Respectfully disagree. From what Ive read, I too get the sense that he quit on his team. Did he have the contractual right to do so. Absolutely. Could we forgive him for being 21 and homesick…Yes.. I can.

I guess we can question or debate what it means to quit.

Eric Lindros quit the Quebec Nordiques before ever signing there….imo

I could be wrong. I would be interested to know how his team-mates as fellow members of the Players Association see it. Or his General Manager sees it. They would be the ruling authority on the matter..again..imo

Sincere question…wouldnt the “normal” course of action have been to sign his qualifying offer and play out the string of games until such a time as he got traded?

141. Munny says:

Meh, while the rest of you were enjoying Big City Productions like “Popcorn Playhouse”, LT and I were in our respective homes watching… Grandpa Sneezby on CKSA.

And while that did introduce me to the marvel that was El Kabong and Bobba Louie… you Big City Kids have no idea how lucky you were.

😉

142. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

That may be true in the broad scope, but it’s arguably worse for exceptional CHL players who don’t meet the age threshold and spend an extra year in a league where they can dominate their peers — reinforcing bad habits — but aren’t eligible to move up to the AHL if they don’t make the NHL squad.

If Bouch had a full year in BAK under his belt already, we’d be having a vastly different conversation this year regarding roster composition.

143. Andy Dufresne says:

Very good point. Its a difficult balance between desiring a more mature player on three yrs of ELC cap space and risking a fractured relationship.

Hopefully the comminication is two-way and the player and his agent are on board with the program.

I hate to assume this is the case…..but I am assuming this is the case.

Evan….youre a valued member of this teams future. We see you in a leadership role when we’re contending for the cup….and we intend to make you a very rich man.

144. tileguy says:

. Kassian is saying all the right things like he is in a between periods interview because anything that MAY happen would be looked upon as pre meditated. Kassian is no,dummy.

145. Harpers Hair says:

Munny:

Heh.

I grew up in Cold Lake and the only channel we had for years was CKSA and Captain Sneezby ruled for years.

What was the name of their news anchor…I can still see his face.

Norm something?

146. Andy Dufresne says:

Interesting twist to the comment count.

Im used to the page flipping over at the 200 comment mark.

With the new nested comments, it tips over at 200 orignal posts but says 345 comments.

OK…not exactly interesting…but new

147. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Gregor covered this topic on his show a while back.

I think my biggest takeaway from this is two fold.

1) it prevents truly exceptional players like Hall, McDavid, Matthews, Mackinnon, etc from being eligible when they could be contributing to an NHL team.

2) it blocks adults from earning a wage commensurate with their skills and ability.

The answer to number one is having exceptional status, like one or two per team per year but then it doesn’t allow for number two, which would block adults from earning professional salaries while plying their trade/learning their craft at the appropriate level.

148. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Appreciate your honesty. Thanks.

149. ArmchairGM says:

Talbot doing Talbot things in the 1st period… bodes well for the Blues. Hopefully they wear out the fLames tonight…

150. tollen77 says:

Harpers Hair,

Wes Saunders???

I’m from Hillmond… grew up with CKSA and CITL. I remember staying up late on Saturday after HNIC and hearing Oh Canada then the beeeeeep that went with the colour bars. Memories!

151. Gerta Rauss says:

I have no idea what a Captain Sneezby is

152. Harpers Hair says:

tollen77:
    Harpers Hair,

Wes Saunders???

You nailed it!

He was the face of CKSA for years,

Thanks so much for sharing.

153. Harpers Hair says:

Gerta Rauss:
    I have no idea what a Captain Sneezby is

You’re going to miss us when we’re gone.

You just don’t know it yet.

154. Harpers Hair says:

tollen77:
    Harpers Hair,

Wes Saunders???

A broadcasting oddity.

While we had a 30 ft. antenna on top of our house, reception was always iffy.

However, in the winter, TV signals would bounce off the atmosphere and beam down into northern Alberta.

Our most reliable channel at those times was from St. Joseph Missouri.

155. Gerta Rauss says:

A little blurb on Wes Saunders but google’s got nuthin’ on Captain Sneezby, if that’s his real name

156. leadfarmer says:

Andy Dufresne:
    Interesting twist to the comment count.

Im used to the page flipping over at the 200 comment mark.

OK…not exactly interesting…but new

What’s interesting is you don’t know when it’s going to flip. It’s a complete surprise

157. Harpers Hair says:

Gerta Rauss:

Nice find.

Thanks.

158. Harpers Hair says:

Who knew that Al Oeming, the renowned Alberta naturalist, was also the co-founder of Stampede Wrestling with Stu Hart?

They were neighbours.

159. duct tape and foil says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Pretty big, skates OK in straight line, mobility is not great, big shot, defense first. Poor man’s Larsson with a better shot and less aggressiveness. Probably 3rd pair RHD material who could be paired with a puck mover. Our Swedish poster in chief would have a much better review than me.

160. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss:

It was “Grampa” Sneezby… and I’m pretty sure he was played by… Wes Saunders! If not him then another CKSA regular.

It was just a wig and a fake beard. And back then people were doing the “Billy Vann” thing on local TV.

Lord, I miss House of Frightenstein. I was never big on kids shows even as a kid, but Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner and The Hilarious House of Frightenstein were my sweet spots.

That and… “I’ll do the thinnin’ around here, Bobba Louie!”

“Okay, Queeksdraw.”

161. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Scungilli Slushy: My cousin somehow befriended a salesperson at Audio Ark. He had Magnepan electrostatic speakers, an Oracle turntable and frankensteined his amp, cannot remember the make of it he he replaced everything in it with the cleanest electronics he could find.

I had from Audio Ark an Oracle table, NAD amp and deck, Energy 22 speakers.

All uni students need to spend their money on audio!

I have a pair of Magnaplanar Tympani 1Ds. Got them in 1980 just before they changed from the black fabric to white. And yes, they sound otherworldly. I assume they still do but my hearing is not anywhere near what it used to be. All that time my mother spent telling me not to sit too close to the TV and it’s the audio system that did me in.

162. tileguy says:

Can’t wait to se 10,000 stuffed turtles thrown on the ice tomorrow.

163. Andy Dufresne says:

Bwana Clyde Batty
    Igor
    The Oracle
    Grizelda
    The Librarian
    The Count
    Vincent Price

What an emsemble cast

Ooga Booga

164. Andy Dufresne says:

or a Turtle Chant….Or even a stuffed turtle or two in the stands with a Tkachuk mask on.

Your not a llowed to toss a turtle on the ice….but what about into the Flames bench?

165. John Chambers says:

Do us a fuckin favour will ya, St Loo

166. Gerta Rauss says:

Munny,

There you go

Ernie Ford

Definitely remember Hilarious House of Frightenstein, that Wolfman really swings

167. Leroy Draisdale says:

Blues win in a shoot out. Sucks Calgary got a point but at least it was only one.

168. Harpers Hair says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Munny,

There you go

Ernie Ford

Grandpa Sneezby unmasked.

What a time to be alive!

169. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Munny,

There you go

Ernie Ford

Ernie Ford. Wow. Absolutely dead on. I remember him on CKSA Radio too. There was a time there when CKSA used to show—near incessantly it seemed lol—a quick promo or something about Ford’s Rodeo Broadcasting Award.

I actually had to call my Dad tonight to remind him of all the memories conjured by Lowetidia today… the CKSA, tall TV antennae (our was a 40 footer off the top of the roof), International Stereo…

Whenever Dad had saved up enough money for a new piece of stereo equipment he would take me with him to the city to get it. And always to International Stereo.

We’d spend a couple of hours, at least, demo-ing, reviewing specs, and comparing price before pulling the trigger. Loved It. Man, can’t beat the one-on-one times you got to spend with your Dad.

170. Munny says:

Andy Dufresne,

The Oracle was my groove, but loved them all.

Munny: Ernie Ford. Wow. Absolutely dead on.I remember him on CKSA Radio too.There was a time there when CKSAused to show—near incessantly it seemed lol—a quick promo or something about Ford’s Rodeo Broadcasting Award.

We’d spend a couple of hours, at least, demo-ing, reviewing specs, and comparing price before pulling the trigger.Loved It.Man, can’t beat the one-on-one times you got to spend with your Dad.

He was Grandpa Sneezebee too, 4pm weekdays.

Harpers Hair: Grandpa Sneezby unmasked.

What a time to be alive!

BAH! And two posts up it’s already there.

Munny: It was “Grampa” Sneezby… and I’m pretty sure he was played by… Wes Saunders!If not him then another CKSA regular.

It was just a wig and a fake beard.And back then people were doing the “Billy Vann” thing on local TV.

Lord, I miss House of Frightenstein.I was never big on kids shows even as a kid, but Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner and The Hilarious House of Frightenstein were my sweet spots.

That and… “I’ll do the thinnin’ around here, Bobba Louie!”

“Okay, Queeksdraw.”

Wes read the news. He was station manager too maybe.

tollen77:
    Harpers Hair,

Wes Saunders???

When CITL went on the air, maybe 1974, Lloyd Robertson came out for the opening. Biggest celeb I can ever recall there.

Woodguy v2.0: When did The Dementor change to Hair Gel?

Inquiring minds want to know.

176. Seismic Source says:

Harpers Hair,

How many times did you ride your bike to Grand Centre?. Man I hated those guys in Grand Centre with their powder blue baseball uniforms.

177. who says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t take it that way at all – I’m sure he has zero idea who I am anyways – not that I’m “anybody” just a fan that likes to chat about the team and the game.

So why did you feel the need to bring it up?
    Are you that desperate for our approval? For our attention?
    What would make you feel the need to say “I said so first”?

178. Wilde says:

I’m always wondering what clear NHLers look like in the AHL.

In case anyone’s wondering on Benning’s #’s:

98/106 of his total shot events at 5-on-5 were with Lagesson, they went 53-45, +8, 54.08%. 1-0 GF-GA.

With the loose 3-5 CF-CA, his total was 56-50, +6, 52.83%

Around the same time, the other two pairings were typically Manning-Day, Lowe-Bouchard.

Lowe-Bouchard improved on their November-December area quarter(ish), where they went 136-139, +3, 49.45% – to 110-91, +19, 54.73%. They’ve brought their total to 8-11 GF-GA. People generally have a bad time with Lowe, remember. I’m not joking with the following: it’s allowing zone entries or favourable chips and a lack of exit ability. Don’t think about it too long.

Manning-Day went 27-41, -14, 39.71%. 0-5 GF-GA.

I’m very sympathetic to whoever’s views got Day his contract. He’s a much more fun version of a ‘utility’ player, inverse of who usually gets that label. I’d always have one on my roster.

The most common Day pairing is Samorukov-Day, who’re (full season so far) 170-154, +16, 54.27%; 8-6 GF-GA.

I’ll say no more on Manning.

Circling back to Bouchard, I thought that his positional (and reactive) improvement would probably come with a return to the Lagesson pairing. Lagesson’s been very good at facilitating offense this year, it’s an aspect that I think puts Russell’s job the most in danger. If he can defend well without doing what Russell tends to do to on-ice offense, it’s hard to argue against the prime-age ELC. Maybe get Russ to teach him about minding outside-in lanes before he goes.

I’ve started to put together Fenwick numbers, the ones I tracked in the first dozen games or so aren’t up to my now-psychotic standards of deflection-reviewing. The ~20 games I filled in for the 2018-19 sample will make a decent reference. Early returns are that Bouchard has a better unblocked shot contribution than most of the forwards, boosted by a high assist rate, which is something I’ve been anxious to see. The only way to mess up this guy’s offensive value, in my view, is to get him to shoot too much – whether at 5-on-5 or 5-on-4.

Keeping an eye on Granlund, he’s the hot hand individually but it hasn’t been backed up by either shot share or shot contribution, and even the goal share is suffering. It’s only ten games, but.

Over half of his time is spent centering the Benson-Currie winger-set, they’re 82-86, -4, 48.81%. 3-3 GF-GA.

When they’ve been with Marody, they’ve run 59.09% CF and 63.16% GF, as I noted in my last (I think) post.

Granlund’s got a ton of loose minutes, remember that run of starting when Marody got injured where they ran 11/7 every game. He’s carrying around the same rate there, 123-127, -4, 49.20%. 3-4 GF-GA.

179. Bulging Twine says:

3 of our 7 division rivals do not have their first round pick this year:

Arizona
    San Jose
    Vancouver

This is a plus for the future.

Of course one of those, Arizona, is leaving the division when Seattle enters.

Arizona has traded away a lot of their futures over the last while:

In the Hall trade they traded:

1st this year
    3rd next year (could become a first)
    their 3rd in 2017 – Nate Schnarr
    1st in 2015 Merkley
    2nd in 2018 Kevin Bahl

In the Kessel trade:
    1st round pick in 2017 Joseph

For 34 year old Soderberg:
    3rd this year

180. Bulging Twine says:

Thanks Wilde, good info on what’s really happening down there.

181. Bulging Twine says:

Gabriel Landeskog is really struggling 5×5 offensively this season.

.98 pts/60

last on the team of players playing more than 14 games by quite a large margin (.49)

As the playoffs wore on last year he looked absolutely gassed and even said he was totally exhausted. They play the snot out of that top line down there. I wonder if he’s having one of those road the hot goalie too long downbeat seasons.

182. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: As I said, they likely have the cap space for it next year if Larsson or Russell go but is an over-paid Bonino what we want to use the bullet on next year – current team plus Bonino and internal improvements (minus Russell/Larsson)?

I disagree that Bonino is overpaid.

Good teams have a good 3C.

Here are some and their salaries:

WSH – Eller $3.5
    TOR – Kerfoot $3.5
    BOS – Coyle $5.25 next year
    STL – Bozak – $5
    COL – Compher – $3.5
    NYI – Cizikas – $3.25

Bonino is in the range.

He has an 5v5 GF% of 66% (leads his team)

He has a massive +2.75 Relative Team Mate GF% this year (total weighted WOWYs) and a very good +0.71 last year.

There is a strong argument that at $4MM he’s a value contract.

183. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Brett Connolly currently tied for 32nd in the NHL for 5v5 goals with 12.

Tied with these guys:

Alex Killorn
    Pierre-Luc Dubois
    Sebastian Aho
    Adam Henrique
    Jean-Gabriel Pageau

184. Woodguy v2.0 says:

godot10: Just mixing things up…stealing Flattop from you, and needing a hair reference for the other guy to match.

Full disclosure: I stole Flattop from RiversQ

185. OriginalPouzar says:

who: So why did you feel the need to bring it up?
    Are you that desperate for our approval? For our attention?
    What would make you feel the need to say “I said so first”?

It was a concept that didn’t need “confirmation” – it had been confirmed multiple times over months and confirmed weekly, if not more often, on this site.

It needed no more confirmation than “Nurse is an RFA with arbitration rights” – this was not a technical cap issue like LTIR and its various implications and where all the ramifications and nuances are not even set out in the CBA – this one was cut and dry and easy. It had been confirmed, many times.

186. Harpers Hair says:

Seismic Source:
    Harpers Hair,

Ha!

I actually played for those guys in the powder blues.

Recall having to face the big pitcher from CFB Cold Lake…Reggie Cleveland.

He ended up playing for the St Louis Cardinals.

I couldn’t hit his fastball.

187. CallighenMan says:

Me three, digging for “gold” nuggets on my birthday (4th?), good times!

188. CallighenMan says:

Exactly! Testify!

189. CallighenMan says:

That was my memory of it as well. Everything seemed to be brown? And those “bleachers” the kids sat on…. I hadn’t thought about Popcorn Playhouse for decades! Thanks again to this site for another trip down memory lane.

« Older Comments