Pet Sounds

Ken Holland occupied the Oilers general manager’s job in a season where the team enjoyed a fantastic turnaround. Edmonton’s 2019-20 season was on pace for 95-97 points, which would have represented a year over year increase 15-17 points. Holland made some good moves and the farm system blossomed in one impressive winter. Edmonton needs another graduating class just like it, this time flush with forwards.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, check it out here.

• New Lowetide: Which Oilers veterans are in roster peril?
  • New Jonathan Willis: How good is Anton Slepyshev and what will an NHL return mean for the Oilers?
  • Jonathan Willis: Peter Chiarelli wants to be a GM again. Has he learned from his Oilers mistakes?
  • New Lowetide: Oilers’ challenge could be finding relief with a low cap ceiling
  • Lowetide: Projecting Oilers prospects Raphael Lavoie and Kirill Maksimov
  • Lowetide: What does Jesse Puljujarvi’s Liiga season tell us about his future?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How Oilers plan to help arena workers unclear with games postponed
  • Lowetide: NHL season on hold might impact Oilers evaluations, summer plans
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis: Key questions surround Oilers in wake of NHL’s coronavirus suspension
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: GM Ken Holland on Oilers’ playoff push, offseason plans and Hart thoughts
  • Jonathan Willis: Evan Bouchard, Tyler Benson and more: 20 observations on the Bakersfield Condors
  • Lowetide: Caleb Jones represents Oilers template for development success
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Determining Connor McDavid’s linemates remains a pressing and perplexing problem
  • Jonathan Willis: Which players pose the biggest threat to Leon Draisaitl winning the Hart Trophy?
  • Lowetide: Is the OHL still the Oilers’ primary resource at the draft?

CHIARELLI NEEDS, SUMMER 2015

Draft McDavid (check)

Find a quality goalie option (his answer was Cam Talbot)

Acquire a legit top pairing blue (Andrej Sekera)

Acquire a more offensive two-way F (Lauri Korpikoski)

Ignore MacT re: Marincin (dealt for No. 107 overall)

Chiarelli’s first summer saw him trade several picks, many of whom have reached the NHL now. Talbot and Sekera delivered in the short term but came at a dear price. Big draft summer (Connor McDavid, Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones and John Marino) despite trading picks.

CHIARELLI NEEDS, SUMMER 2016

Top-pairing D to partner with Klefbom (his answer was Larsson)

Second-pairing RHD to partner with Sekera (Kris Russell)

Acquire RHC with some skill (Jesse Puljujarvi)

Backup goalie (Jonas Gustavsson)

Rob the Bruins of something (Matt Benning)

Traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, signed Milan Lucic, Jonas Gustavsson, Mark Fraser, Kris Russell, Drake Caggiula and Matt Benning. Draft pick Jesse Puljujarvi brought the new hires summer 2016 to eight.

CHIARELLI NEEDS SUMMER 2017

Sign McDavid and Draisaitl. (Done)

Survive the expansion draft.  (Reinhart was lost)

Make sure there’s enough cap room. (Eberle out, Strome in)

Find a second pairing D with two-way acumen (Kris Russell)

Find a forward who can help the offense. (No answer)

Offload Benoit Pouliot. (they bought him out)

Going long on McDavid and Draisaitl was the right play, trading out of Eberle to get more years of control (Strome) was an interesting bet. The juggling was in full force and the Russell contract meant money was too tight to mention.

CHIARELLI NEEDS SUMMER 2018

Veteran scoring right winger. Alex Chiasson.

Two-way left winger. Tobias Rieder.

Puck mover. Evan Bouchard was drafted, future move but didn’t help the present.

No. 7 defender. Kevin Gravel. He was solid

Backup goalie. Mikko Koskinen, another good signing.

By 2018 summer, Chiarelli had cap problems and had very little in tradeable assets. The Bouchard pick and elevation (and Todd McLellan not playing him) was an example of the disconnect and poor communication/procurement that culminated in two late December trades for fringe defensemen.

HOLLAND NEEDS SUMMER 2019

Two scoring wingers (James Neal, Alex Chiasson. Deadline Tyler Ennis, Andreas Athanasiou)

Cap room (bought out Andrej Sekera)

No. 3 RH center (Riley Sheahan and Gaetan Haas, neither man solved the issue)

Top 4 RHD who can move the puck (Ethan Bear, although that was not a Holland procurement piece. Mike Green late)

Backup goalie (Mike Smith)

Holland would get a passing grade for the Neal-Lucic trade alone, lest we forget the cap/expansion implications of the ML contract. I liked his aggressive work at the deadline, not sure how many problems he solved but at least Mike Smith’s asset cost didn’t resemble the Talbot trade.

HOLLAND NEEDS SUMMER 2020

Scoring winger (Andreas Athanasiou, Tyler Ennis, Taylor Hall, Mike Hoffman, Brett Connolly)

RH No. 3 center (Colin Blackwell. There isn’t much out there)

Offload a veteran blue (Kris Russell, Adam Larsson, Matt Benning)

Goaltender who can play half or more of the schedule (Alexander Georgiev, Linus Ullmark. Mike Smith remains the favourite)

OILERS 2020-21

Does Holland go high end on McDavid’s wingers, or does he address weakness up the middle and grab some centers and a strong goalie option? Not sure. This version of the team has some youth, I think they’ll continue to slow play unless injuries hit.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260, we hit the airwaves with strong guests and great conversation. Steve Lansky from Big Mouth Sports will chime in on Coronavirus and games from the past he’d like to see on television. Cameron DaSiliva from the Rams Wire will talk Todd Gurley and the Rams in free agency. Matthew Iwanyk from TSN1260 talks NFL free agency and when we can reasonably see pro sports return. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

117 Responses to "Pet Sounds"

1. jtblack says:

The Balance Photo is coming into focus and *should* be attainable by October ….

KH said he wants to build a team that can make the playoffs year after year and obviously compete for the Cup …. in Ken we Trust ..

2. hunter1909 says:

Bouchard getting slagged reminds me of Paul Coffey getting the treatment when some fools said he was a flawed hockey player not a genius.

3. Ben says:

Gotta kind of feel for GMs who went big at the deadline (except for Brisebois, whose ludicrous Barclay Goodrow trade shows he can’t be trusted to shop hungry).

Also impressed that Holland’s big spend was for an asset under control. I’m not his biggest fan, but he’s no doubt made a couple of impressive moves.

4. Ben says:

Meh–I’ve seen the balance photo and it’s actually just Katz’s face photoshopped onto the Longhorn lady’s body.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

I think the two main requirements are accurately reflect by Lowetide and I will add a third being a back-up/1B goalie.

Of course, Holland has other “jobs” such as cap structuring/dispositions in order to be able to fill the two mail “holes” – the main “job” in this respect is the disposition of Kris Russell as clean as possible.

There are other options, a buyout of Neal, a trade of Larsson for value, etc. but Rusty out is the key.

I wish Alex Chiasson wasn’t under contract for another year – where does he fit?

As far as the top 6 winger in – I’d like to add Tyler Benson to the potentials. He very well may need time in the middle 6 and he may ever be a legit top 6 winger – we don’t know but there is a chance. Not great boots does not preclude being a top 6 player.

For 3C, ya, there isn’t much “out there” but there are trades. Does MIN have any interest is trading Eric Staal? What about Spezza, is he a 4C now or can he be a 3C? Koivu? Why is everyone so old.

Mike Smith does NOT have to be the 1B next year. The goalie market looks to be flush with options of all sorts of ability/pedigree and cap hit. Plus the trade market, 3-4 teams with 3 options – ARI, PIT, NYR.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

I as thinking about (and posted about) a trade centering around Larsson/Kerfoot at various times through the season.

I don’t know a ton about Kerfoot except I think they were a bit underwhelmed in Toronto and I’m not sure he’s a great defensive center. He doesn’t PK (17 seconds/game) – a 3C that doesn’t PK? Tsk, tsk.

I think one of Khaira or Sheahan will be the 4C – Sail on Gaetan Haas.

If Larsson is traded then a depth veteran d-man needs to be acquired on the right side – its likely Mike Green and I would maybe be OK with Green if Larsson is traded as we can’t go in to the season with Bouchard listed as the 2RD. I don’t think Green is an 82 game 2RD but he’s better than, well, not.

7. doritogrande says:

A lot of talk surrounding a repatriation of Slepyshev back to Edmonton, but every list I see has him as a HS. Really, do we think he wants to come back just to eat popcorn? I grade him higher than Nygard, but lower than Archibald due to range of skillset.

We should be aiming higher.

8. Jethro Tull says:

LT, Wouldn’t It Be Nice…..

Was that what you were thinking with the title?

9. JJS says:

That’s a good point – hadn’t given this much thought

Which GM gave up the most for a playoff/Cup this year that may not be realized?

10. Oil2Oilers says:

My To Do List for Holland is roughly;

1. Sign Bear long term. 30M over 7 years
    2. Off Load Kris Russell
    3. Aquire 3C with some offence. Larsson for Kerfoot works.
    4. Upgrade 1B goalie. I am resigned that it will Smith again.

11. Harpers Hair says:

Just ran across this….

A week ago, the NYR signed two undrafted NCAA players.

12. Jethro Tull says:

This just in:

Corona virus has contracted Chuck Norris and is in quarantine for two weeks.

13. pts2pndr says:

I trust it works better on the Corona virus than it did for me in Vietnam for malaria. The one thing I know is that if they prescribe it widely in Canada the people that have been hoarding toilet paper will be glad they did. It is or shall I say was an amazing laxative!

14. who says:

doritogrande:

We should be aiming higher.

I think Slepeshev fits in better on a skill line than Nygaard or Archibald.
    In a perfect world Archibald is a 4RW. He really doesn’t have the hands to mesh well with other skill players.

15. who says:

Oil2Oilers:
    My To Do List for Holland is roughly;

1. Sign Bear long term. 30M over 7 years
    2. Off Load Kris Russell
    3. Aquire 3C with some offence. Larsson for Kerfoot works.
    4. Upgrade 1B goalie. I am resigned that it will Smith again.

16. fries n gravy says:

Ben,

Great point. What’s weird is that the exponential curve on coronavirus was long visible by the trade deadline, yet apparently no one in the hockey world noticed or thought it through.

hunter1909:

I haven’t seen him getting slagged much, to be honest. The reviews from Bakersfield have been impressive.

Jethro Tull:
    LT, Wouldn’t It Be Nice…..

Was that what you were thinking with the title?

I was thinking of one of my favourite things, projecting the roster forward. It’s a pet subject of mine. 🙂

OriginalPouzar:

I don’t know a ton about Kerfoot except I think they were a bit underwhelmed in Toronto and I’m not sure he’s a great defensive center. He doesn’t PK (17 seconds/game) – a 3C that doesn’t PK?Tsk, tsk.

I think one of Khaira or Sheahan will be the 4C – Sail on Gaetan Haas.

If Larsson is traded then a depth veteran d-man needs to be acquired on the right side – its likely Mike Green and I would maybe be OK with Green if Larsson is traded as we can’t go in to the season with Bouchard listed as the 2RD.I don’t think Green is an 82 game 2RD but he’s better than, well, not.

I think Elliotte Friedman was the first to put Kerfoot’s name out there. I would prefer a RH center and like the two Toronto wingers more than Kerfoot, but he works in this scenario. Less than ideal as a solution imo.

20. unca miltie says:

I watched two Condor games in person and the difference in Bouchard was tremendous. I suspect coaches did a great job in helping him transition from Junior habits to pro habits. His determination was increased at least 10 fold. He is a player in my saw him good opinion.

21. defmn says:

fries n gravy:
    Ben,

Great point.What’s weird is that the exponential curve on coronavirus was long visible by the trade deadline, yet apparently no one in the hockey world noticed or thought it through.

In the world of competitive sport I think you are in more trouble for exercising prudence when trouble doesn’t arrive than you are if you do nothing because you think there will be trouble and it doesn’t arrive.

Our GM appears to have navigated the deadline without causing harm of any major consequence while potentially improving things a bit.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

Flames sign Connor Mackey – wasn’t on LT’s list from Wednesday.

OriginalPouzar:
    Flames sign Connor Mackey – wasn’t on LT’s list from Wednesday.

He’s a defenseman, and a fine prospect. No. 1 on Frank’s list:

24. New Improved Darkness says:

Fauci says malaria drug’s effectiveness on COVID-19 is “anecdotal” — 20 March 2020

“There really isn’t that much of a difference in many respects with what we’re saying. The president feels optimistic about something—his feeling about it,” Fauci said on Friday.

“What I’m saying is that it might, it might be effective, I’m not saying that it isn’t. It might be effective. But as a scientist, as we’re getting it out there, we need to do it in a way as while we are making it available for people who might want the hope that it might work, you’re also collecting data that will ultimately show that it is truly effective and safe under the conditions of COVID-19. So it really isn’t different, it’s just the question of how one feels about it.”

New Olympic event: pussyfoot steeplechase.

25. Harpers Hair says:

Flames also sign UND defenseman Colton Poolman whose brother Tucker plays for the Jets.

26. fries n gravy says:

Yes. 99.9% of people (me included) didn’t see *this* March coming.

27. Rickety Cricket says:

OriginalPouzar:

I think one of Khaira or Sheahan will be the 4C – Sail on Gaetan Haas.

What about a Benning + for Kerfoot trade? I am probably overvaluing Benning.

28. New Improved Darkness says:

Report out of Lombardy that nurses are now too overrun to even count the dead.

Milan is slated to host the 2026 Winter Games.

Super Big Gulp opening ceremony if that now comes to pass.

Meanwhile:

Coronavirus: Tokyo Olympic Games plans ‘irresponsible’, says IOC member — 17 March 2020

Wickenheiser was part of the Canada team that won four successive ice hockey golds at the Winter Olympics.

Writing on Twitter, she added: “From an athlete perspective, I can only imagine and try to empathize with the anxiety and heartbreak athletes are feeling right now.”

“Athletes can’t train, attendees can’t travel plan. Sponsors and marketers can’t market with any degree of sensitivity.”

“I think the IOC insisting this will move ahead, with such conviction, is insensitive and irresponsible given the state of humanity.”

Oh, these wilting flowers with no resolve.

Coronavirus: Tokyo 2020 Olympic organizers respond to frustrated athletes — 18 March 2020

British four-time Olympic rowing gold medalist Matthew Pinsent criticized Bach’s comments on Twitter, accusing him of not properly listening to athletes’ concerns and stating that postponing the Olympics is the best option for all concerned.

“I’m sorry Mr Bach but this is tone deaf. The instinct to keep safe is not compatible with athlete training, travel and focus that a looming Olympics demands of athletes, spectators and organizers,” Pinsent wrote.

Noisy pair of four-peat superchamps. Who needs ’em? The show must go on.

Bonus material: Hurdler-caliber side-bun of world heptathlon champion Johnson-Thompson in her lurid modern-art personal training studio, “before she goes into complete lock-down”.

29. Rickety Cricket says:

Lol. Well played.

30. wolf8888 says:

Mostly HH and Button

31. oilersfan says:

Jethro Tull,

You mean the Coronavirus contactes Stan Weir, and now Coronavirus is in quarantine?

We all know Stan Weir would kick Chuck Norris’ ass

32. N64 says:

Thinking we are all in an experimental period right now.

33. BONE207 says:

Nailed it.

34. Oil2Oilers says:

who: I think Larsson at 2RD is more important than Kerfoot at 3C. If the Oilers want to contend for a cup next year.

35. BONE207 says:

doritogrande:

We should be aiming higher.

That’s right, especially with this Wuhan wet market virus.

Sign Taylor Hall 3x$7 mill. Life is too short Tay Tay. Let’s have fun before the end of the world.

36. BONE207 says:

Even though LT doesn’t post pretty women pictures anymore, I seem to get plenty of eyefuls of the best looking Female TV anchors. Anyone else get these? Maybe I’m being told to stay away? ?

37. defmn says:

Oil2Oilers: I think Green can bridge the gap short term, for a vetern presence on the Right side. Kerfoot is a long term investment.

So when Green gets injured – as dmen and older players tend to do – you are going to play Bear, Bouchard and Jones on your right side with a total of about 100 games between them?

I know I like Larsson more than many here on this board but, I’m sorry, I don’t see his absence leading to a winning season. In this I trust a string of professional coaching staffs more than the numbers. Benning is the guy to move.

38. BONE207 says:

Perhaps this would be the best time to replace the Olympics with this:

monty python race of the twits

39. Bruce McCurdy says:

This is why I’m glad Twitter doesn’t have an edit function.

I don’t mind the ones with 5-minute limits or whatever. But otherwsie we have more than enough trouble with folks wanting top rewrite history in their favour. And not with the humourous intent that N64 showed here, either.

40. pts2pndr says:

I absolutely agree. Some people don’t appreciate what they have until they don’t have it. Betting that Bouchard can play second pairing right D is one thing. With a injury to Bear he has to play first pairing. This to my thinking is a recipe for disaster.

41. New Improved Darkness says:

21st Century Foxhole

The Last Days of Pompeii (1959)

Airport (1970)

The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

The Towering Inferno (1974)

Earthquake (1974)

Airplane! (1980)

Titanic (1997)

Armageddon (1998)

The Perfect Storm (2000)

The Day After Tomorrow (2004)

Contagion (2011)

Pompeii Pummeled Again (2014)

Supply Chain (2020)

42. who says:

defmn: So when Green gets injured – as dmen and older players tend to do you are going to play Bear, Bouchard and Jones on your right side with a total of about 100 games between them?

Yep.
    100 percent agreed.

43. N64 says:

Hunter heavily advertised a Death March. Hear we are.

44. unca miltie says:

What a great place to hang out, Oilers, Canucks, music, whiskey, world news and COVID-19 all in one place. Thanks LT for providing this forum. Even astronomy from time to time if Bruce is up to. Lol.

45. dustrock says:

Speaking of music, had the chance to hear Pearl Jam’s new album Gigaton early.

It is their best in 20 years. Actually cannot believe they are putting out an album this good at this point in their careers.

There’s not much market for rock albums in the marketplace anymore; regardless, this is their strongest work since Binaural.

46. duct tape and foil says:

Team comes into this season with a shocking lack of depth and people want to trade key pieces like Larsson away to fill other holes. You keep him, and if you can come to a reasonable extension number (years/dollars) then you let him go UFA and essentially have an extra protected slot. Same with RNH.

Getting a compliance buyout (Neal) or two (Russell) would be huge. The you can continue to add guys like Slepy to bolster the depth. That was one guy who was insanely mis-handled by that clown TMac.

3C (Haula) and 2G (Georgiev) are the holes. That’s a pretty short shopping list. I could be convinced that JP for Georgiev is OK, and then Haula as UFA. Trade Benning and Chiasson for picks at the draft

RNH McDavid Kass
    AA Drai Yamo
    Ennis Haula Slepy
    Nygard/Benson Sheahan/Khaira Archie

Klef Bear
    Jones Lars
    Nurse Bouch Green

Kos / Georgiev

I like that team and it’s not far away.

47. Jethro Tull says:

oilersfan:
    Jethro Tull,

We all know Stan Weir would kick Chuck Norris’ ass

Chuck Norris runs every Chuck Norris joke past Stan Weir first to make sure it doesn’t make him look too tough.

48. Justthestatsman says:

I’ve heard Stan Weir doesn’t joke.

49. Melvis says:

New Improved Darkness:
    21st Century Foxhole

The Last Days of Pompeii (1959)

Airport (1970)

The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

The Towering Inferno (1974)

Earthquake (1974)

Airplane! (1980)

Titanic (1997)

Armageddon (1998)

The Perfect Storm (2000)

The Day After Tomorrow (2004)

Contagion (2011)

Pompeii Pummeled Again (2014)

Supply Chain (2020)

The obvoius but aptly named: The China Syndrome

50. Jethro Tull says:

*Pompeii Pumiced Again*

51. Munny says:

But only for the upper class…

You forgot, global macroeconomics.

53. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– LT: good for keeping it OIL: no side bars/mention of Virus, it’s impact on society: just hockey

– It’s weird though: like some South American country club elites playing and discussing Polo, during a revolution, or the music and drinks flowing as the Titanic sinks.

– Don’t mean that in a disparging or critical way, it’s not a direct comparison at all or said in malice: having releases, diversions and an online forum for friends and foes alike to discourse in this environmenet is good and healthy.

– I’m impressed (and somewhat jealous) with those who are able to focus on the hockey thing now.

– Maybe I’m just bitter because I was going to win the Hunter Death March, as the team was trending towards my 101 point prediction…

– GOILERS!!!

54. OriginalPouzar says:

Ben:

The “pause” which will eventually lead to a cancellation (we are dependant on the US getting their shit under control for sports) “cost” the Oilers a 5th and 4th rounder for Ennis and Green barely playing but very well may have saved the 3rd rounder in the Neal/Lucic trade.

I’m still not positive that it will result in “condition didn’t vest” and we keep the 3rd but its definitely possible.

I would take a 3rd over a 4th and a 5th, right?

—————–

Of course, there is a solid chance that Holland will bring back either or both of Ennis and Green.

Ennis back for $1.2M or less would be fine.

A Green re-signing scares me and, at the end of the day, if we lose a 4th for two games of Green and a non-value contract in the $2.5M range for a regressing 35 year old that will be asked to play top 4 minutes – that will be a bad chain of events……..

55. OriginalPouzar says:

Lets say there are two compliance buyouts available (I don’t think that will happen but for the purpose of discussion).

Neal is a no-brainer, right?

Lets say they can trade Rusty with $1M retained, do they do that instead of a compliance buyout and use it on Chiasson?

Would Holland buy out Chiasson with (a) Chiasson being a Holland re-sign and/or (b) Neal already gone – Chiasson has all but no value with Neal but retains some value without Neal.

I don’t imagine he uses one on Mikko and starts with a blank page.

Imagine a Mikko buyout for free and then a signing of Lehner and a trade for DeSmith…..

56. Boiled-in-Oil says:

Just made my semi irregular donation to the lowetide blog. I figure it gives me the right to about two dozen posts. This one is for me to give a shout out to all who gave advice to me on how best to handle our return from Mexico. N64 and Harper Hair, thanks for the information. We slept in our car at the Duke point ferry terminal and made our way home using a purelled mastercard and tap and go. We have had food delivered to us by our friends and a local restaurant. People can be amazing in difficult times. We are on day three of 14 day quarantine.

I’ve been too busy to look at the blog since we left mexico. So I am not current with the chatter. I will undoubtedly catch up.

I’ve decided to heed the advice from Harpers Hair and pre spend at our local food establishments as well as making significant contributions to our local food banks. I consider it payback for the good fortune that has been thrown my way. Thank you Mister Mitchell for creating this cool family.

Carry on.

57. jp says:

Ben:

Was thinking the same. At least Holland didn’t spend a ton.

AA isn’t a rental, Green and Ennis only cost a 4th and a 5th.

58. OriginalPouzar says:

doritogrande:

We should be aiming higher.

I think this downplays the intent of the Slepyshev signing, if it happens.

I believe the intent would include Slepy being an every day NHL player and potentially someone that could help in the top 6 (but would otherwise be a fixture in the bottom 6 if not middle 6).

He has size, skill, speed, a good shot – he showed some promise a few years ago and has since matured as a player, from accounts, and has produced well with a massive spike in the last half season.

No certainty that he’d be the player I suggest above but it would be a solid bet.

He won’t come cheap given how much he makes in the KHL (apx $1.3M USD).

59. jayrizzle says:

Rickety Cricket,

Rickety Cricket,

I would entertain that the most. cost controlled Dmen who show well numbers wise for Dubas would be ideal. How about Benning, Slepyshev plus a mid round pick for Kerfoot would seem close to fair value. Two players of close to equal value cap and skill wise for one would be attractive to Dubas.

60. OriginalPouzar says:

Oil2Oilers:
    My To Do List for Holland is roughly;

1. Sign Bear long term. 30M over 7 years
    2. Off Load Kris Russell
    3. Aquire 3C with some offence. Larsson for Kerfoot works.
    4. Upgrade 1B goalie. I am resigned that it will Smith again.

I like the list and it generally equates with mine although I’m not sure I agree with the order (or disagree with it).

2 is a MUST and if 2 and 3 happen (i.e. Larsson goes in addition to Russell) then we need to add the signing/addition of a veteran depth RD – I think the org plans on Green and, if Larsson goes, then, yes, that may make sense – I have reservations about his ability to play 2RD game in and game out, but we would need some sort of cover there – we go in to camp assuming Evan Bouchard in that spot.

61. Harpers Hair says:

Boiled-in-Oil:

I’ve decided to heed the advice from Harpers Hair and pre spend at our local food establishments as well as making significant contributions to our local food banks. I consider it payback for the good fortune that has been thrown my way.Thank you Mister Mitchell for creating this cool family.

Carry on.

So happy to hear all is well..

You’re a class act.

All the best.

62. defmn says:

OriginalPouzar:

I totally understand the opinion. I’m just wondering the basis for it. I didn’t see a lot of Detroit games this year so my opinion that I would be OK for around 2.2 – 2.4 is just based upon what I think the normal downward trajectory for a player of his age would be. Not a perfect solution by any means but kind of a ‘if they only count on him for 40-45 games’ he could be a good mentor for Bear and Bouchard’ kind of thought.

63. Harpers Hair says:

Now more than 1000 cases in Canada including an outbreak at another senior’s care home in the Lower Mainland.

64. Munny says:

Boiled-in-Oil,

Well done on all fronts.

65. Boiled-in-Oil says:

Thanks. You as well. Learning all the time. Might see you on the island some time. My kids are both on the island. My son is a Warrant at Comox. Just posted there. Daughter in Langford.

Cheers.

66. tileguy says:

Lisa Laflamme, mmmmmmmmmmmoo

67. Harpers Hair says:

Anytime…we could share a wee dram of delicious Shelter Point whisky if I haven’t worked my was through the case by then.

68. unca miltie says:

cant ever get it all, what a diverse set of conversations. We are truly blessed to have this place and this group, even if there sometimes is conflict in the family.

69. Boiled-in-Oil says:

I’d like that. Next time I’m heading to the island I will look you up. I’ll buy the steak.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

unca miltie:

His offensive numbers certainly spiked in the second half of the season – of course, he did get more ice time in general and definitely more PP time – especially when Jones wasn’t around and when Day was hurt.

He also earned those minutes and opportunities with significant overt development from what I saw.

His defensive positioning was significantly improved – Woody would call this “proximity to the check” but he defending much more aggressively and efficiently.

Woody, Howson and Holland all mentioned “junior habit” multiple times throughout the year – not just with Bouch but with guys like McLeod, Sammy and Maksi as well.

Bouch did show more urgency and intensity in puck retrieval and moving the puck.

Credit to Manson as well.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

Rickety Cricket: What about a Benning + for Kerfoot trade? I am probably overvaluing Benning.

Depending on the plus, sure.

I like Benning more than most and, despite team control for Benning and Larsson being one year to UFA and $2M more expensive, Larsson has more value both to the Oilers on the ice and as an disposition piece.

In that scenario, yes, I’d feel more comfortable slotting the ride side as Bear, Larsson, Bouchard but I remain convinced if one of Benning or Larsson are disposed of (in addition to Rusty), its imperative to add a veteran depth right side D.

Now, if Benning is traded, as opposed to Larson, then we can spend less on that depth D guy as the premise would be 6/7 D as opposed to someone needed for the top 4. Green wouldn’t fit the bill in that case given he’d be ove $2M for sure.

72. Harpers Hair says:

Awesome…make sure you do.

73. jp says:

duct tape and foil
    RNH McDavid Kass
    AA Drai Yamo
    Ennis Haula Slepy
    Nygard/Benson Sheahan/Khaira Archie

Klef Bear
    Jones Lars
    Nurse Bouch Green

Kos / Georgiev

I like that team and it’s not far away.

That looks good to me too, and is plausible.

74. jp says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – LT: good for keeping it OIL: no side bars/mention of Virus, it’s impact on society: just .

Harder for you to look away too since you’re in finance I imagine.

75. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:

Ennis back for $1.2M or less would be fine.

You figure Ennis would re-sign for $1.2?

He’s from Edmonton, and hasn’t scored much in recent years before this one. But he scored over 0.5 PPG without high end line mates for most of the year.

I think he’d get substantially better offers than $1.2M. My guess is 2 x $1.5M is the low end of reasonable. I hope I’m wrong.

76. OriginalPouzar says:

If one of Benning or Larsson is gone, in addition to Rusty of course, then, absolutely a depth veteran right shot d-man needs to be added.

I have a feeling that management plans on bringing Green back and on the premise that he’s a legit 2nd pairing d-man that can play 20 minutes per night. He was used like that in his second Oiler game and he did play those minutes during the year as a Wing – of course, he struggled in those minute but that team……

I’m very hesitant to bring back Green on the premise that he can be a 2RD, however, absolutely if Larsson is disposed of, they need to acquire more than just a depth veteran 6/7 guy but someone more substantial – I believe Green would be the guy but I fear he’d be asked to do more than his abilities at 35 years old (and never a stalwart of defensive acumen to start with).

Puck moving is great but I believe the Green would be a fairly substantial step down to Larsson as 22 minutes per game – the Larsson we saw over the last few months which I believe represents the Larsson we’d see next year more than the guy we saw for the first few months – coming off a broken leg and 2 months behind the league.

77. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:
    You forgot, global macroeconomics.

Should we add links to social media with shirtless O. Pouzar travel picks – the internal rage it incites in some could re-engage another dimension of discourse.

78. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

jp: Harder for you to look away too since you’re in finance I imagine.

– Yes. Having seen some playbooks a few times over the years: this doenst have an easy out IMO

– I appreciate LT’s committement to the blog, as well as the posters who can use it as a diversion in this time. Its a good observation you made JP: its hard for me to look away, and this diversion has been a good outlet for me over the years. Are you in Finance?

– I look forward to being able to look away again and be back into the Oil thing.

79. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn: Just curious as you have said this a number of times now. Is your opinion on re-signing Green based on age, health and cost only or did you watch a lot of Detroit games this year?

He has been on the decline for years now which makes sense now that he is in his 30s, however, the decline offensively was massive this year – 11 points I believe. At least over the last few years he was in the low 30s, followed by the high 20s last year and then 11 this year. Given his age, one could posit that drop off is not likely to recover.

Given the fact that he’s not a plus defender (to be nice), his 5 on 5 play is somewhat middling, he struggled on the PP this year and the Oilers have Klef and Bear with Bouchard coming, I don’t see where he fits other than a depth 3rd pairing guy.

I know Detroit sucks and that is a factor in his reduced production but his regression is year over year and material and, at his age, I don’t think there will be recovery – not as a 20-22 minute guy.

80. Yeti says:

I can never un-see that now. Thanks a bunch.

81. Yeti says:

Not exactly just in … I saw that about a week back. Still funny, though but I think you could have adapted it for Stan Weir…?

82. Yeti says:

Wow.

83. Yeti says:

Those fuckers are serious bad news.
    N. American honey bees haven’t developed the coping mechanisms that their Asian counterparts have.

84. Yeti says:

Kinger – just to emphasize that I’m willing to discuss polo with you at any time, day or night. Have you seen our tournament up in Chitral / Gilgit?

85. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: You figure Ennis would re-sign for $1.2?

Lets not forget that even with the bounce-back season and a nominal cap hit, the Sens couldn’t get more than a 5th round pick for him – there is something there that GMs seem to not want to pay for.

86. defmn says:

OriginalPouzar: I admit that, nope, I didn’t see a ton of Detroit games this year and my opinion is based generally on my opinion of him over the years (as a massive PP guy, decent offensively at 5 on 5 and meh at best at evens) and the regression he’s shown in Detroit.

Outside of this blog I have seen no indication that it has even been thought of so for me Green is being considered as a 6/7 guy with Bouchard and his veteran presence on the bench and in the room while playing 40-50 games.

I guess I also kind of like the idea that while he may no longer be able to play at the level he once could I think his style of play has value for mentoring Bouchard and Bear.

87. Munny says:

defmn,

I’m not sure he would cost the AAV that is being debated.

He’s the kind of player you don’t sign and won’t be signed on July 1 (or whatever date it will be this sunner0.

If he’s not getting bids elsewhere, his AAV could fall dramatically.

88. hunter1909 says:

defmn:
    Holland discusses Puljujarvi.

89. Munny says:

Seeing a McCurdy photo credit sure is nice. Always taking pictures of the stars that guy.

90. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:

I can also see the appeal of moving Larsson if he can return a top 6 winger or a plus 3C. So how would you feel about a Bear/Green/Benning/Bouchard RD for next season? Green would be the incumbent 2RD, but that’s some real solid cover for him. I’d be alright with that setup (if Green doesn’t cost too much/too long, and if Larsson brings a top 6/3C return). What do you think?

Kinger_Oil.redux:

– Don’t mean that in a disparging or critical way, it’s not a direct comparison at all or said in malice:having releases, diversions and an online forum for friends and foes alike to discourse in this environmenet is good and healthy.

– GOILERS!!!

One of the great things, for me, about this blog is that it gets so many different reactions. I’m pleased it had an impact and inspired you to write down your feelings. I don’t know much about what you do, but hope it all works out for you in the markets. I can’t imagine how difficult these days must be. All the best.

92. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn: Thanks for the response. I tend to agree with this. I guess I just see Holland’s intention for him differently. I don’t think there is the slightest chance they trade Larsson this summer.

could I think his style of play has value for mentoring Bouchard and Bear.

I agree with you that I see Holland looking to re-sign him and with the intent for a larger role than I think he should be playing at this stage of his career.

if they are going to sign him for apx $2.5M, it not for the 6/7 13-15 min guy I don’t think.

93. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: I would prefer to keep Larsson for next season. And an Oilers RD of Bear/Larsson/Green/Bouchard would be pretty much ideal IMO (I think this is what Holland would like to do if possible. It will be difficult).

That is my concern, going in to the season with Green as the pencilled in 2RD – I don’t think the cover is as great as you do. Actually that’s not quite true, I see big risk in that cover.

If Green isn’t able to handle 2RD (at 35 and never been a plus guy defensively) or gets hurt (as he often does):

– can Benning fill in – the coach hasn’t been willing to play him > 10 min per game in 2020
    – can Bouchad fill in – that’s alot to ask from a developing rookie.

Also, if Rusty and Larsson both go, that’s quite the hit to the penalty kill.

94. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: He won’t come cheap given how much he makes in the KHL (apx $1.3M USD).

I believe this has moved down to $1.13M now.

Good chance it goes lower from here.

95. jp says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Yes.Having seen some playbooks a few times over the years: this doenst have an easy out IMO

– I appreciate LT’s committement to the blog, as well as the posters who can use it as a diversion in this time.Its a good observation you made JP: its hard for me to look away, and this diversion has been a good outlet for me over the years.Are you in Finance?

Yeah, hopefully you can enjoy the diversions again before too long. And this blog is a great one in general.

No, I’m not anywhere near the world of finance, just remember you mentioning it.

96. meanashell11 says:

Markets are easy. As I learned at Goldman, never go short vol.

97. defmn says:

Munny:
    defmn,

I’m not sure he would cost the AAV that is being debated.

If he’s not getting bids elsewhere, his AAV could fall dramatically.

I know that at 84.5 I could justify paying Green 2.2 to 2.4 just because I like the idea of him as a mentor to Bear and Bouchard since the team doesn’t have a vet that played their kind of game. Now that everything has changed I have no idea how salaries for UFA’s are going to playout until we get some clarity from the league about what the intend to do. But, yeah, it could be a bad season to be without a contract.

98. defmn says:

hunter1909: Nice to see Holland doesn’t have a gambler’s urge to cut bait on what both of us still rate as a top end prospect. If JP stays another season in Finland that might make him want to come over when he’s good and ready.

I agree. Too much hurry has a way of slowing a project down.

99. defmn says:

OriginalPouzar: I was fine with the acquisition of Green thinking he was acquired as veteran depth for the stretch run who may be the 6/7 and play 13-15 minutes but then, not only did he play right away, and on back to back nights, he played over 20 minutes his his second game.

100. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: That is my concern, going in to the season with Green as the pencilled in 2RD – I don’t think the cover is as great as you do.Actually that’s not quite true, I see big risk in that cover.

– can Bouchad fill in – that’s alot to ask from a developing rookie.

Also, if Rusty and Larsson both go, that’s quite the hit to the penalty kill.

Fair enough.

If Larsson could bring back a guy like Kapanen I think I’d take that risk (particularly since Larsson only has 1 year left). But I also agree the risk is real.

If Larsson were moved:
    Green – Definite injury risk. But likely has more left than his Motown numbers this year indicate. Agree this is not an ideal 2RD.

Benning – Pre-Tippett I was pushing pretty strongly that Benning’s numbers show a players who’s been very successful in 2RD minutes. Tippett further cutting his minutes rather than adding to them (even with the Larsson injury) has backed me off of Benning as a 2RD, but I still think he might be able to handle it. I will agree that’s very unlikely to happen under Tippett though.

Bouchard is pretty generally acknowledged to be ‘ready’ for the NHL, so he should work his way into the lineup in the coming year for sure. But yeah, expecting him to play 2RD effectively before the calendar flips to 2021 would be a big ask.

I suppose you can include the possibility Bear regressing off a spectacular rookie season as a risk too.

101. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: Perhaps its too low but I’d be hesitant to commit term with that much AAV based on one bounce-back season after 4-5 middling offensive seasons and the player being on the wrong side of 30.

It’s true he didn’t garner really any return at the TD, but wasn’t he expected to fetch a 3rd? Seemed like Dorion got caught playing the market and ended up having to settle for a paltry return.

2RD Petry was only worth a 3rd after all. We don’t know, but it seems likely a 5th doesn’t represent Ennis’s true value, if you know what I mean.

102. defmn says:

Pretty much exactly how I see it.

103. hunter1909 says:

Yes, until his 36 year old body collapsed from the strain and now he’s on IR.

Moral: Don’t put all your eggs in a 36 year old defenceman you haven’t even had on the team before.

104. Greenberg says:

Possibly you are overvaluing Kerfoot. He hasn’t set the world on fire by any third-centre average. I stand to be corrected but I remember Leafs blogs panning him.

105. Munny says:

I eat more eggs for breakfast every morning than will be in the Green basket come contract talk.

106. hunter1909 says:

jp: I would still move Larsson for the right return, but I suspect it’s most likely that Holland moves Russell and Benning but keeps Larsson.

Just so long as none of the players are “challenged” by Holland.

107. jp says:

Hear hear!

108. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn: With the way things have gone with the season ended I don’t think anybody knows how UFA salaries are going to go. When they announced that the cap would be 84.5 and up I did a spreadsheet for myself that made Green affordable up to 2.4 as the 6/7 guy while breaking in Bouchard. It left money for the 3 unknown spots and I was comfortable at that rate. Of course now everything has changed.

For sure, we don’t know what the financial landscape of the NHL (or the world) will look like for the next while but, until there is more clarity or visibility in to that, I’m going to proceed on the assumption of salaries in the normal course of how things have been – that very well could significantly off in the coming years.

109. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: Fair enough.

If Larsson were moved:

Yes, I agree with pretty much all of this.

A trade of Larsson isn’t off the table, of course not, in particular for a younger cost-controlled forward (with Larsson being one-year to UFA) but any such trade comes with depth risk to the right side depending on any ancillary moves.