The Edmonton Oilers are working around the edges of next fall’s AHL roster, and perhaps soon will be making some decisions on the NHL 23 as well. It’s important to keep track of everyone and to find out about the newcomers.
The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, check it out here.
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Scott Howson on new AHL job, Oilers’ unsung prospect and development updates
- New Lowetide: A look back at reasonable expectations and the Oilers fantastic special teams in 2019-20.
- Lowetide: Will the Oilers rocket to Russia during free agency this summer
- Lowetide: Will Oilers drafts be less reliant on the WHL under new management?
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Connor McDavid on a ‘fair season’, working out and picking quarantine teammates
- Lowetide: Dave Tippett deploys unproven talent expertly in first Oilers season
- Lowetide, Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis: Oilers ABC: Picking the best players in franchise history, from Anderson to Zuke
- Jonathan Willis: If the Oilers need to clear money with a buyout, they have one real option
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The 5 games that define Leon Draisaitl’s Hart Trophy-worthy season
- Lowetide: Final Oilers report cards: Second-half impact defines a successful season
- Jonathan Willis: Does Filip Berglund’s new SHL contract mean he’s done with the Oilers?
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Evolution of a star: Why Leon Draisaitl was our Hart pick
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis: Which former Oiler has the best argument to have his jersey number retired?
- Lowetide: Which Oilers veterans are in roster peril?
- Jonathan Willis: How good is Anton Slepyshev and what will an NHL return mean for the Oilers?
- New Lowetide: Oilers’ challenge could be finding relief with a low cap ceiling
Philip Broberg is staying in Sweden for another year, the organization hoping he’ll get plenty of work in all three game disciplines. He’s young but has been cast in defensive roles over the last year, important that his offensive flair has a chance to breathe. One thing we’ll be paying close attention to this fall is those special team numbers in the SHL.
Liam Fowlkes signed an AHL deal last week, he’s a RW who played for Penn State. His NHLE is 20.7, and it was 29.4 in the previous season. I don’t know that he’ll follow in the footsteps of Mark Arcobello and Josh Currie (who signed AHL deals before getting NHL contracts in the seasons that followed) but he’s a skill player and will get a chance in Bakersfield.
Yesterday, the Condors signed two more men from American International College of the ACA (NCAA Div. 1). It’a weak division but AIC has been strong for a couple of seasons. Dave Forbes played there and moved on to the NHL, but that was 1973.
Blake Christenson is a forward, 24, and scored 16-31-47 in 41 games, Janis Jaks is a righty blue, also 24, and posted 33, 6-9-15 in 2019-20.
OILERS AND CONDORS DEPTH CHART
If we take these names and sign the RFA’s (*) assumed, the holes are there but not close to a year ago. Here’s what it might look like:
- Nygard—(No. 3 center)—Archibald
- Neal—Khaira—Anton Slepyshev
- Extra F: Colby Cave, Patrick Russell
- Extra D: Kris Russell
- Koskinen (No. 2 goalie)
- Traded: Chiasson, Benning
Edmonton could offload Athanasiou and sign or trade for another option on McDavid’s line, perhaps Tyler Ennis. I used Athanasiou because the assets spent indicate to me Ken Holland will sign the big, fast winger in the summer. I have Chiasson and Benning traded, it could be Larsson and Khaira instead. Now let’s see what the Condors might look like at this early stage:
- Safin—(No. 4 center)—Fowlkes
- Lagesson—(Second Pairing RH)
- (Third Pairing)
Plenty of work today, suspect we’ll see some college signings and guys like Malone added, too.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
A fun show with a curveball this morning, we get started at 10, TSN1260. Bruce McCurdy joins us at 10:20 to talk Oilers season, Ken Holland and special teams. Jon Willis will join us tomorrow. Johnny Avello, director at Draftkings Sportsbook will pop in to give us a state of that industry and what might happen when sports returns. Marshall Ferguson from TSN1150 and CFL.ca will chat about the delayed start to the CFL season and what lies ahead. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!