You Better, You Bet

The Edmonton Oilers 2019-20 deployed a 43-goal scorer (Leon Draisaitl), a 34-goal man (Connor McDavid) and a 22-goal winger (Ryan Nugent-Hopkins).

James Neal (19 goals), Zack Kassian (15 goals), Josh Archibald (12 goals), Alex Chiasson (11 goals) and Kailer Yamamoto (11 goals) gave the team eight forwards who scored in double digits.

If Edmonton is to win a Stanley Cup, the team will need more 20-goal men, along with the kind of depth scoring managed in 2019-20. How many can we reasonably project from the current roster to score? Where is the procurement focus going this summer?

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, check it out here.

• New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers forward Colby Cave dies at age 25
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘The world needs more Colbys’: Teammates and coaches mourn Colby Cave
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: We’re all just praying’: Hockey community rallies around Colby Cave
  • New Murat Ates: My favourite player: Ryan Smyth
  • New Jonathan Willis: What does the Oilers best possible playoff lineup look like?
  • New Lowetide: Why Jack Quinn is a perfect 2020 draft fit for the Oilers
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: My favourite player: Donovan Bailey
  • Jonathan Willis: For one glorious fall, Alexander Selivanov was the NHL’s most dangerous scorer
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘Hockey’s not that important right now’: Oilers minor-leaguer Colby Cave in coma
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ five-on-five with and without Connor McDavid is improving
  • Lowetide: Bakersfield Condors forward prospects might need a history lesson
  • Lowetide: Craig MacTavish’s most important Oilers moment? Picking Leon Draisaitl
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: If play does not resume, 5 notable questions that will go unanswered in Edmonton
  • Lowetide: Making the call on RFA and UFA players on the Oilers’ 50-man roster
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Scott Howson on new AHL job, Oilers’ unsung prospect and development updates
  • Lowetide: A look back at reasonable expectations and the Oilers fantastic special teams in 2019-20.
  • Jonathan Willis: If the Oilers need to clear money with a buyout, they have one real option

TOP 20 NHLE’S

Someone asked the other day about publishing NHL equivalencies with my rankings, I will for the April edition but thought I might pass them along in three chapters this week. I can also explain a little about my rankings.

The hardest part of the rankings is Europeans. Holtz, Raymond and Gunler play in the SHL but in a feature role at evens or on the power play. Same with Lundell in the Liiga. Finding the right spot for those men is difficult.

Also, I have nicked Jarvis. He’ll land in the top 15 on my final list (in his last 10 games he posted 10-12-22) and is a late breaker. He’s been moving up steadily (No. 19 from No. 24 on my last list). However, Jarvis (and Perreault from the Q) have the numbers but not the scouting verbal. There’s a lag. Still figuring out the Euros and Jarvis among the top 20. We’ll do 21-40 tomorrow.

OILERS 2020-21 GOALIE DEPTH CHART

Heading into summer, the most likely scenario has Ken Holland signing Mike Smith to another one-year deal. It’s uncertain what will happen with Shane Starrett, there’s a full boat of goaltenders in the AHL and Konovalov is potentially a year away. Maybe we see a veteran AHL goalie added and one of the prospects traded.

OILERS 2020-21 DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART

I set it up this way because there are some trains of thought that need to be reset in the comments section. There are NINE players vying or seven NHL spots and I don’t think you can count on William Lagesson clearing waivers.

If you send Lagesson down, and are depending on him for AHL play, then losing him to waivers could send the minor league team sideways. NHL teams are always looking for bona fide defensemen, especially inexpensive ones who can play.

If you can’t count on Lagesson clearing waivers, you must either make room for him or deal him. I think Russell and Benning are most likely to be dealt and do believe Bouchard will make the team in the fall. Something like Nurse-Bear, Klefbom-Larsson, Jones-Bouchard and Lagesson. That’s a lot of youth, but it’s also some impressive value deals who can actually play.

Bakersfield will need some help. Samorukov is the only certainty to be on the opening night roster for the Condors.

OILERS 2020-21 CENTER DEPTH CHART

This position will need addressing in a big way, suspect Riley Sheahan gets signed for sure. After that, if Holland can find a No. 3 center my guess is Khaira will either come to camp on the roster bubble or will be dealt over summer. Erik Haula is the popular choice but every team needing a solution will be knocking on his agent’s door, so he’ll be expensive.

The AHL team boast two centers, Josh Currie and Brad Malone may get NHL deals but Holland may prefer to sign AHL contracts with minor league veterans.

OILERS 2020-21 WINGER DEPTH CHART

As upside down as it looks now, this is a better situation than a year ago. Yamamoto’s emergence was a major positive and Neal was more productive than Lucic. It’s also easier to buy out the Neal contract. I think we’ll see some movement, possibly Chiasson dealt. Benson will push but Nygard might delay the start of his career. That speed is attractive.

I think several RFA’s listed here won’t return but decided to keep them all on to make sure we’re not overlooking anyone. Lavoie is going to be the big prospect in Bakersfield this fall.

One thing we could discuss today: The big move of summer 2020 being Andreas Athanasiou’s acquisition. The big man has a 30-goal season, brings speed and size and won’t cost the moon. I think he might be the winger for 97’s line opening night.

136 Responses to "You Better, You Bet"

1. jfry says:

Thank you for indulging my request for nhle. I appreciate it.

One quick question, are you using a flat nhle or age adjusted?

Thanks

jfry:
    Thank you for indulging my request for nhle. I appreciate it.

One quick question, are you using a flat nhle or age adjusted?

Thanks

I never use age adjusted NHLE.

3. jp says:

I appreciate NHLE being added to the rankings too, thanks!

4. who says:

I think your take on the defense is bang on. Pretty sure Benning gets traded this summer and I imagine they try to move Russell as well.
    If they can’t move Russell this summer, maybe Bouchard starts in the minors and Russell gets moved closer to the deadline.
    It’s pretty clear the big need is 3C.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t think management can count on Willie Lagesson clearing waivers but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest that he very well could.

I like WIllie more than most, and have for a few years, be he simply didn’t get that many at bats last season (Manning playing 8 straight early with Willie sitting was egregious) and didn’t prove himself as an every day NHL player.

I’m sure teams would have interest but many good names and players of some prominence clear on the even of the season.

In any event, I think we all see/hope/want Kris Russell and his $4M moved in the off-season – this is easier said than done, in particular in the new world, but I’m assuming Holland can make it happen.

That would leave Willie on the roster, as #7, and that is with a fully healthy roster.

Evan’s time will come, and it will come early.

6. jp says:

who:
    It’s pretty clear the big need is 3C.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

3 players fighting for 4C – Khaira, Sheahan and Haas.

Khaira is the youngest and with the most “potential” and is signed – he is on my team and I’m not looking to trade him for a middling mid-round pick.

I think they re-sign Sheahan (another one year deal, Riley may want two) and move on from Haas.

If Sheahan could play 4C, as oppossed to 3C, that is a wonderful 4C (and Khaira adds solid depth).

8. who says:

jp: Agreed, and I’d go so far as to say it’s the only remaining glaring issue on the roster (though as unhappy as one might be about Sheahan at 3C, or any other slot on the Oilers roster, it was good enough to point them to a playoff spot).

Let’s not forget we have 3 quality offensive centers on this team. But we’d probably have to add 2 scoring wingers to use all 3 of them at center.

9. Elgin R says:

I so not see a scenario where KRussel makes the team better. Buy him out (hopefully compliance) or send him to Bakersfield and sign Benning. You have to appreciate Cowboy’s effort and commitment, but the NHL has passed him by – time to move on.
    LHD: Klef, Nurse, Jones
    RHD: Bear, Larsson, Benning
    7th D: Lagesson
    Keep Bouchard in Bakersfield. Duncan Keith was a very good defenceman in his day and played 154 AHL games (2 full seasons). Bouchard has only played 54 AHL games. Let him play for the Condors until needed due to injury.

Many bloggers and writers are not complementary of Benning. He is a good 3rd RHD and the only Oiler player that has a positive +- over the last 3 years (KY took the crown this year). Benning has played 248 NHL games so you know what you are getting. RHD are hard to get so hoping Holland does not do a MacT and let a good-young RHD get away. Sign him $2 x 2 and trade him Feb or summer 2021.

10. dustrock says:

Bourque and Zary with some pretty great NHLe there. Interesting.

And Jarvis too missed him. Over 40 at our pick, you’d think would be a gimme

11. jp says:

I’d agree this is most probably how it goes.

Athanasiou has legitimate skill. I posted last night that he’s scored even strength goals at 1st line rates and points at 2nd line rates over the past 3 seasons.

Looking now at total goals and points over the entire 4 seasons he’s been a regular, he’s scored 266-75-67-142 (an average of 67-19-17-36). He’s 106th in goals and 146th in points over the last 4 seasons.

Those look like modest totals, but that’s 2nd line scoring. Including injuries. With most of his production coming at evens. From a player in his age 22-25 seasons.

It may not work but I like the bet and it has really significant upside.

12. JJS says:

‘The only thing Haas has on Sheahan is speed’

And the ability to fall over every shift!

I wonder if Haas can play wing. Big body that can fly and bang. Playing down the middle requires a little more restraint. He may be better on the boards.

Or do we now have too many burners who can’t score? Funny how the roster has inverted.

13. jp says:

who: I got no problem with Sheehan on the roster at 4C. I just don’t think he brings enough offense to play higher up the lineup.
    Let’s not forget we have 3 quality offensive centers on this team.But we’d probably have to add 2 scoring wingers to use all 3 of them at center.

Similar to OP I think Haas is gone, Sheahan and Khaira likely stay, plus hopefully a 3C added to the middle (McDavid-Draisaitl-New 3C-Sheahan-Khaira).

Sheahan/Khaira can battle for 4C, provide depth, play wing, etc. But I think they’d both be valuable/affordable on the roster next season (in addition to a new centre).

14. digger50 says:

I’m presently working a 1,000 man project and it’s full speed ahead with Covid-19 procedures in place.

I see no reason Oilers can’t be skating (3-6 at a time) once they also adapt and have safe practices and procedures in place. I suspect they are working on this very thing and will be ready to skate at the earliest opportunity.

15. Pescador says:

JJS:
    ‘The only thing Haas has on Sheahan is speed’

And the ability to fall over every shift!

I wonder if Haas can play wing.Big body that can fly and bang.Playing down the middle requires a little more restraint. He may be better on the boards.

Or do we now have too many burners who can’t score?Funny how the roster has inverted.

I very much enjoyed watching Hass play this season, every shift was an adventure.
    He would make an ideal 13th forward on a league minimum contract

16. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: The only thing Haas has on Sheahan is speed (and age) – he doesn’t PK, he isn’t good on the draw, etc.

Haas looks more skilled but it didn’t translate to more scoring. Not sure one can argue a difference in quality of team.

Haas is close but not quite there IMO. Too bad, he’s likeable. But I agree with your take, I’d be surprised to see Haas back.

17. Pescador says:

Agree with most this,
    Can’t send Russell to Bakersfield as his contract has a NMC, the only 2 options are buyout or trade.
    Russell has a 10 team NTC and only makes $1M in actual dollars after his summer bonus is paid.
    Hard to see a trade scenario from here, the purported destination would have to be a team on his list as well as have the cap space to take on his $4M cap hit.
    KR is a veteran third pairing D man in a league where most teams like to utilize that spot for a value contract or a young defenseman who is trying to get his feet wet.
    Exactly the reasons that the Oilers would be wise to trade him away

Why would the team get rid of Khaira when he is signed for cheap, and just entering his prime? He was a key cog on the PK, and fills the need for some physical presence. One doesn’t waste the cheap optionality of the final year by trading him. One lets it play out.

19. Glovjuice says:

jp: Haas is not quite 2 months younger than Sheahan so I don’t think you can count that either (both turned 28 this past Dec/Jan).

Haas along with Chaisson and Khaira were the most annoying hack, wack, fall, and/or brain cramp players to watch this year. But, the penalty kill was so good I have to accept Khaira’s protracted inability to make a smart play in any other on ice discipline.

OriginalPouzar:

Every team has a Lagesson, who needs to clear waivers.

Yes, there is a 10% chance he gets claimed perhaps. Teams are going to be tight to the cap, which makes claiming players more difficult.

21. Woogie63 says:

I See;

AA as the 3rd line center
    Sheanan IF he signs for 1 year
    JJ and Haas as the 13/14 forwards

The best option from UFA group for the Oilers as;
    Mikael Grunlund – you would need to trade Russell

Elgin R:
    I so not see a scenario where KRussel makes the team better.Buy him out (hopefully compliance) or send him to Bakersfield and sign Benning.You have to appreciate Cowboy’s effort and commitment, but the NHL has passed him by – time to move on.
    LHD:Klef, Nurse, Jones
    RHD:Bear, Larsson, Benning
    7th D:Lagesson
    Keep Bouchard in Bakersfield.Duncan Keith was a very good defenceman in his day and played 154 AHL games (2 full seasons).Bouchard has only played 54 AHL games.Let him play for the Condors until needed due to injury.

Many bloggers and writers are not complementary of Benning.He is a good 3rd RHD and the only Oiler player that has a positive +- over the last 3 years (KY took the crown this year). Benning has played 248 NHL games so you know what you are getting.RHD are hard to get so hoping Holland does not do a MacT and let a good-young RHD get away.Sign him $2 x 2 and trade him Feb or summer 2021.

Benning is likely to opt for arbitration to UFA status next year, and get a number too big for the Oilers. So the time to trade him is now. Monetize the asset.

23. Ben says:

Woogie63: AA as the 3rd line center

This is kind of interesting. But he really doesn’t seem to read the game too well in his own zone.

24. jp says:

My take, 4-6 20 goal scorers, and 8-9 10 goal scorers can reasonably be projected from the Oilers roster next season.

First my guess at the roster:
    Athanasiou-McDavid-Kassian
    Nuge-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
    Ennis-New 3C-Chiasson
    Nygard-Sheahan-Archibald
    Benson-Khaira

I’m guessing Neal will be bought out (compliance or regular), if not he replaces Ennis and probably a 3C upgrade doesn’t happen (maybe Haas even returns).

20 goal scorers:
    Draisaitl, McDavid, Nuge are easy picks to repeat.

Athanasiou has averaged 19G and 67GP over the past 4 years, he just needs to hold a job in the top 6 to score 20.

Yamamoto scored this season at a 30+ goal pace. Good bet for 20+ even with regression.

Kassian scored at a 20+ goal pace this year (102-28-29-57 since Jan 1st 2019), decent bet to manage it 2020-21.

So 6 forwards with legitimate potential to score 20. The probably won’t all do it but likely 5 do.

I’d also give Neal (55GP, 19G this season) and/or Ennis (70GP, 16G this season) an outside chance to score 20 if they do return.

10 goal scorers:
    All of Draisaitl, McDavid, Nuge, Athanasiou, Yamamoto and Kassian are probable 10 goal guys (that’s 6). Add one of Ennis and Neal (whichever is one the team), the new 3C and probably Archibald again. That’s 9.

I don’t think the Oilers having five 20 goal scorers and nine 10 goal scorers next season is at all unreasonable (I’m also overly optimistic pretty much all the time though!).

25. jp says:

Khaira’s PK – even strength dichotomy this season was very weird indeed.

26. jp says:

Tippett won’t play him. Move him and let the acquiring team sign him to the contract they want (quite likely one buying a UFA year or two, since he’s unrestricted next summer).

27. Munny says:

godot10: Every team has a Lagesson, who needs to clear waivers.

Yes, there is a 10% chance he gets claimed perhaps.Teams are going to be tight to the cap, which makes claiming players more difficult.

This will likely be the easiest training camp in history to sneak players through waivers. IF the Oilers so desire.

I do think they’d rather trade Russell though.

28. defmn says:

Over the last 3 seasons the league has averaged 16 teams with a GF average of 3.00 or higher. There are always few outliers that ride a goalie’s career year to the playoffs or a defence that summons the ghost of the 70’s Canadiens teams but for the most part you need to score 3 x 82 or 246 goals to just make the playoffs these days.

To be considered in the top echelon of scoring teams you need to get up to 3.25 x 82 or 267 goals over a season.

Given the likely makeup of the Oilers defence going into next season with Jones, Bear, playing important roles and the possibility of Bouchard and Lagesson seeing time I don’t see this being a shutdown kind of team. Too young to state the obvious reason.

So how do the Oilers come up with the 250 goals needed just to sneak into the playoffs is the question Ken Holland has to answer.

I start by penciling in Draisaitl and Connor for 40 each. I think they expect more of themselves but I think 80 goals is a reasonable expectation.

I’m playing Connor with AA & Kassian until somebody shows me a better plan and I am expecting the two of them to combine for another 40.

Nuge & Yamomoto benefit from having a lot of teams choosing to focus on McDavid’s line. I think the two of them should combine for 50 goals.

This gives me 170 goals from my top six and that is a pretty good total from a top six.

Nurse, Klefbom and Bear all scored 5 goals this season and Jones had 4 in half the games. Larsson is good for bouncing one in off of somebody every season and I have Bouchard & Green splitting the 3RD spot on my roster with them both seeing PP time on the 2nd unit. I pencil them in for 10 over the season. I think this defence is good for 30 goals over the season with a certain amount of progression from the kids.

I have 200 goals on my chart so I need 46 more from my 3rd and 4th line plus extras.

Is it reasonable to think that a competent 3rd line can average 12 goals per slot? Chiasson and Archibald both met that standard this season. I know Archie played up some and Chaiasson got some PP time but we aren’t talking about how they got the goals. Just that they got them. And without a real 3C on the team. I think 36 goals is reasonable for three 3rd liners and it is Holland’s job to find that 3rd guy this summer.

So now I have 236 goals and a fourth line that really should be able to come up with another 20 even if you have to add in the 13th and 14th press box guys.

Reasonable?

29. leadfarmer says:

godot10: Benning is likely to opt for arbitration to UFA status next year, and get a number too big for the Oilers.So the time to trade him is now.Monetize the asset.

There’s been some very useful pieces
    Marino despite being 2 years younger than Drogdan Barrerty is already a established top 4 D on a good nhl squad

30. hunter1909 says:

godot10:
    Why would the team get rid of Khaira when he is signed for cheap, and just entering his prime?He was a key cog on the PK, and fills the need for some physical presence.One doesn’t waste the cheap optionality of the final year by trading him.One lets it play out.

Draft picks and prospects are like crack cocaine to Lowetide posters.

31. jp says:

defmn:

Reasonable?

I think so.

The Oilers were on pace for 260 GF – 251 GA this season. They were pretty close to that upper echelon this year, they could/should be again IMO.

32. oilersfan says:

i would bet an imaginary cyber $100 the Oilers try to retain Mike Green, for say $2 million, maybe less if the cap goes down and there is no interest in him

33. Munny says:

defmn: Reasonable?

My question though is—and I don’t have the answer—is playoff success more closely correlated with Goals For, Goals Against, or Goal Differential?

A GM can focus on one of those and eff up the others.

34. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: I think there’s going to be a few teams watching the scraps that fall of the Oilers table
    There’s been some very useful pieces

Fun fact of the day…Brogan Rafferty played centre until he was 18 years old.

35. Munny says:

Harpers Hair: Fun fact of the day…Brogan Rafferty played centre until he was 18 years old.

Not to mention lead dancer for the Bullshit Bolshoi Ballet.

36. defmn says:

oilersfan:

One of the advantages of having a veteran like Green is that he is always good for a groin pull or a sore back about the time you want to give him a rest or ease in a young guy. 😉

37. hunter1909 says:

oilersfan: Holland loves his veteran dman , especially if they can move the puck and are cheap

Considering Oilers have been trying to play NHL hockey for the past 4 or so seasons with no one who can move the puck to save their lives save Nurse who hasn’t got a clue what to do with the puck lol…

38. Munny says:

If memory serves, WG places it on GD, and I think we all would intuitively agree.

That doesn’t dispute your work… need to have some GF to have a positive GD.

But we’re looking for lines in the sand and it is unclear that GF is the line we should be etching with our broken stick shaft.

39. defmn says:

Munny: Yes. In fact this is very similar to the exercise that LT goes through with his Reasonable Expectations series (I’m guessing this is a wink in that direction).

A GM can focus on one of those and eff up the others.

I think it is harder to score goals in the playoffs because you don’t get to feed off of weaker competition or unbalanced teams as much.

This, btw, is one of my objections when the discussion of ‘clutch’ comes up and people post scoring rates that show that the production in the playoffs is no different than during the regular season.

Lots of ways to win hockey games, though, and I think it is a lot easier to get guys to pay more attention to their defensive responsibilities come playoff time than for them to suddenly become better goal scorers.

40. jp says:

That is interesting, do you have a link to a bio or anything? Definitely gives some context to his late development.

We should do a Brogan Rafferty fun fact every day. (I’m kinda serious, could be fun)

41. Harpers Hair says:

jp:

Sorry no…

I just heard him interviewed on TSN 1040 in Vancouver this morning.

He said his father convinced him to switch positions.

He also admits he was a late bloomer throughout his career but got a lot of support when at Quinnipiac and chose to sign with Vancouver because they value puck moving D.

If you watch the following clip you can perhaps see that the time he spent at centre gives him the confidence to make plays in the offensive zone.

42. defmn says:

Calgary Herald
    I realize these are taking place all over the world but first I have seen in Alberta.

Stay safe everybody.

@calgaryherald
    · 31m
    U of C researchers to begin #hydroxychloroquine trial on COVID-19 patients https://calgaryherald.com/news/u-of-c-researchers-to-begin-hydroxychloroquine-trial-on-covid-19-patients/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1586801318
    #UofC #yyc #COVID19 #COVID19AB #COVIDyyc

43. OriginalPouzar says:

who:
    It’s pretty clear the big need is 3C.

No, to me, Green is not that guy as I think he’ll be too expensive for the role I envision and, while he may be “more than a 3RD”, I don’t see him as a legit 2RD at this stage – he’s kind of a tweener in that space.

Bouchard is definitely coming but, if all are healthy, I am fine with him starting in California – he will be up in no time and likely never to be sent away again.

Keeping the depth and the competition is important though, in my opinion.

44. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Sorry no…

I just heard him interviewed on TSN 1040 in Vancouver this morning.

He said his father convinced him to switch positions.

Yeah a nice goal.

It’s interesting he’s seen himself as a puck moving D when he’s never scored a lot before this year (he was #3 among Quinnipiac D in scoring last year for instance). He clearly has some skill though.

45. geowal says:

I see him as a fairly easy clear, provided it’s done at the right time of training camp. That said, if Russell disposition is done “cleanly” as you like to say I have no objection to him lining up at #7

46. Harpers Hair says:

jp: Yeah a nice goal.

Priskie was a senior who was drafted in the 6th round by Washington.

47. geowal says:

digger50:

Interesting, are you in Alberta? I have some guesses.
    Hockey surprisingly hasn’t been deemed an essential service. Which in itself is a misnomer, it’s more of a small list of banned services than a small list of essential services.

48. Material Elvis says:

Harpers Hair: Sorry no…

I just heard him interviewed on TSN 1040 in Vancouver this morning.

He said his father convinced him to switch positions.

Nice toe drag on that goal, but that defenseman played it horrifically.

49. Munny says:

Large study from the US—not peer reviewed at this point—is showing obesity as the single greatest correlated chronic condition for Covid critical illness. (Note this might somewhat be an artifact of the prevalence of obesity among Americans). Age of course is the other dominant factor.

Inflammatory pre-conditions like obesity and kidney disease seem to be the basis for this correlation.

The above have stronger correlations than race, smoking, pulmonary diseases or other pulmonary issues.

Obesity is defined as a BMI of 30 or greater. The study used 4100 patient records of people who tested positive in the month of March.

This info is via ZDNet who pulled the research paper from the pre-publication website medRxiv.

50. barry.moore23 says:

Harpers Hair: Hard to tell but it looks like he was playing behind Chase Priskie on the right side.

Priskie was a senior who was drafted in the 6th round by Washington.

51. defmn says:

/// I think we’ll see some movement, possibly Chiasson dealt. ///

I will be surprised if Chiasson is moved.

His cap hit of $2.15 mil is pretty much in line with what a 3rd line winger makes in this league no matter how often it is stated that it was a bad contract. It’s not a good contract but it is a pretty standard pay rate for a 3rd line winger.

His goals for the year, after a very slow start, come close to the 12 I think this team needs from a 3rd line winger – pretty sure he could have potted one more in the final 11 games. Twelve goals may seem light for a third liner but I always factor in that with Connor and Leon accounting for 1/4 of the cap money you are never going to have balanced scoring on this team without a steady supply of ELC’s balancing that top end.

But the main reason I don’t think Chiasson gets moved is that he is in many ways the ‘odd duck’ on a team that has moved to fast and quick.

I like fast and quick hockey and am really pleased that Holland took the roster in that direction but I am a big believer in roles for those who are, after all, role players. When I look at the 8 wingers listed above I see a compliance buyout in Neal, Kassian & Chiasson as the only ‘moar big’ guys. I happen to think that on a balanced roster there is a role for guys who stand in front of the net on the PP and take a beating without ending up in sick bay.

A role for guys that hit you and hurt you in the corners so that pucks come loose to guys that know what to do with it on their stick.

A role for guys who wander over to the ‘moar big’ guy on the other team and let them know that if they keep hitting Yamomoto late like that you are going to start hitting Gaudreau the same way.

I like small skilled players. They are fun to watch and they win games for you. I don’t like small skilled teams. They get beat up because opposing coaches point out that that is the only way they can beat them with their bigger slower players.

Balance. I like a little bit of everything on my team and although I am open to suggestions of a replacement of the same type with a little more speed I am reluctant to leave Khaira and Kassian as the only guys able and willing to stroll over to the other bench and tell them to take it easy on my friends.

I know. That makes me a dinosaur but I still firmly believe that you need a bit of every element on a team in order to be a contender.

52. Harpers Hair says:

barry.moore23: Rafferty played for Bloomington in the USHL ? I lived there and went to the games all the time but must admit I don’t remember many of the players. Some of my friends had Thunder guys as billets. Small town central Illinois.

Yep…his only season in the USHL.

OriginalPouzar: I would generally agree except I don’t think there is a need/rush to try and move Benning – sure if there is a deal for value and they can find a cheap veteran RD to replace him then, sure, he’s moveable.

Keeping the depth and the competition is important though, in my opinion.

I think Holland and Tippett would like to run three more even pairs.

The McDavid pair: Nurse and Bear
    The Draisaitl pair: Klefbom and Green
    A strong 3rd pair: Jones and Larsson
    Russell in the pressbox

Bouchard the true number 7D, playing in Bakersfield Conceivably the plan could be Klefbom/Bouchard

Lagesson waiting for an an injury callup in Bakersfield
    Samourukov making the push in AAA
    Broberg killing it in AA

Benning traded for a draft pick

54. defmn says:

Keeping the depth and the competition is important though, in my opinion.

You also get a veteran mentor for Bear, Bouchard, & Jones who all play some aspects of the game Green has played for 15 years.

I think TOI is the most indicative stat for what coaches think of their dmen. I’ll be surprised if Benning is back unless Green doesn’t want to stay.

55. Georges says:

“If Edmonton is to win a Stanley Cup, the team will need more 20-goal men, along with the kind of depth scoring managed in 2019-20. ”

Let’s look at the number of 20 and 10 goal scorers on the SC winners since CMD entered the league.

Season, Champ, 20+ goal scorers, 10+ goal scorers

15-16, PIT, 4, 8
    16-17, PIT, 5, 10
    17-18, WSH, 3, 11
    18-19, STL, 3, 13

In 19-20, EDM had 3 20+ goal scorers, and, with the addition of Ennis and AA, 10 10+ goal scorers. Neal and Ennis had a shot at hitting 20 if the season finished. Sheahan had a chance to hit 10.

We match the last two SC champs with 3 20+ goal scorers. We’re not that far off with 10+ goal scorers. And, with a full regular season, we may have compared favorably on your metric with the PIT teams.

The addition of KY, Ennis, and AA changed the ceiling on our offense. Are you sure 20+ goal scorers is what we need more of?

Prediction: There will NOT be compliance buyouts. Both the NHL owners and NHLPA hate compliance buyouts. NHL owners, because they cost actual dollars, when they do not have revenue coming in, and there are enough owners for which this does matter. And the NHLPA, because compliance buyout have always counted towards their 50% share of HRR.

Both the NHL and the NHLPA will manage the situation with a flat cap and a massive escrow.

57. jp says:

Thanks for this.

Articles on bioRxiv and medRxiv are freely available. I think this is the one you’re referring to: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.08.20057794v1

Seems like age remains a FAR bigger risk factor than obesity, though the latter is clearly important after that, as you say.

And in case it’s not clear for anyone looking, OR is odds ratio. That’s how many more times likely something (in this case hospitalization due to covid-19) is to happen with a variable (for instance obesity) than without that variable (if someone is not obese). So, in the article hospitalization if you have a BMI over 40 is 6 times more likely than if your BMI is under 30 (OR 6.2).

58. jp says:

Priskie was a senior who was drafted in the 6th round by Washington.

Yeah looks like he was.

59. N64 says:

Hi, Last week I provided a link here to another hydroxychloroquine study also enrolling Alberta-wide also involving the U of A:

Many big trials also going on with the promising remdevisir given to the patient zeroes in WA and NJ. Interesting local story today on U of A’s confirmation of mode of action:

New for The Athletic: Edmonton’s Sports Hall of Fame should have 3 founding members

61. N64 says:

This thing SOMETIMES kills late in 2nd week when the immune system destroys the lungs and other organs which is really bad news over age 50 and all inflammatory pre-conditions.

what % of all covid deaths are aged under 65 (at April 4):

NYC, Louisiana, Michigan 21-30%

Washington State, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Swtizerland 3-9%

62. OriginalPouzar says:

Elgin R:
    LHD:Klef, Nurse, Jones
    RHD:Bear, Larsson, Benning
    7th D:Lagesson

Rusty has a NMC and I don’t think he accepts a demotion to Bakersfield.

A compliance buyout is obviously a positive option if it’s available. I regular course buyout only saves $1M and keeps a $3M cap hit for next season – not a real option.

Is a no-brainer that the Oilers will qualify Matty Benning and he’s likely to come in at an AAV right around the QO of $2M and Benning can play on my team any day at $2M. I think he’s a plus 3RD.

Of course, the coaching staff don’t seem to value or trust him as much given his useage down the stretch. It may be tied to them simply not wanting to give him too many minutes due to the double concussion earlier in the year or, of course, it could be due to them just not liking the player that much.

Either way, I assume Rusty isn’t on the team and Benning is. They could trade Benning as well but I don’t think its a good idea to get rid of the depth that has been built up. Let Bouchard start camp as 4RD – he’ll get his at bats early and may not look back.

63. wolf8888 says:

Do you have a link showing that the immune system is destroying the lungs?

64. wolf8888 says:

Agreed. Thus the TEAM concept

65. N64 says:

I should have said sometimes (added that above in all caps).

This scenario is most dramatic where patients are doing very well into the second week and this takes them down quickly. But it’s also something to monitor for folks already dealing with inflammation or on any medication that boosts the immune system.

Dr’s treating coronovirus are doing careful testing to guide small short boosts to the immune system and/or when to thwart a runway immune system.

Good overview of various treatments being tried here, including some treatments that impact that cytokine storm:

66. defmn says:

OriginalPouzar: Rusty has a NMC and I don’t think he accepts a demotion to Bakersfield.

I believe that reverted to a NTC with half the teams in the NHL on the list and half off. Doesn’t make it easy but it is possible and after his bonus is paid this summer I expect Holland finds a team that KRussell would agree to move to.

67. Leroy Draisdale says:

I asked this before a while back but may have missed the response. With revenue being hammered now and in the near future. Would KRusty’s lower actual salary not give him a bit more value and help with a clean disposition?

68. defmn says:

Eric Gryba
    @grybes02
    22m

Supposedly there is 15km+ of cars lined up outside Battleford right now waiting for the family of Colby Cave.

69. jp says:

Capfriendly lists ‘modified NTC, NMC’. So I guess he can’t be sent to Bakersfield even though he can be traded to his listed teams.

I don’t think him being assigned to the AHL is realistic in any case.

70. jp says:

I think the things the Moar Bigger players bring can be overvalued at times, but definitely do agree that balance, and size through the lineup, are important.

In the case of Neal I’d be very happy to have him as an Oiler if he made $2M rather than $5.75M X 3. Considering the salary though he should be removed from the roster if at all possible.

71. defmn says:

Players want to play. I think that if KRussell is told he won’t be in the starting lineup whenever the season is set to start he will want to move on.

72. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– I’ve been talking with a few friends and clients about professional sports: Leaf/Raptor/Blue Jay/ Rangers/Canuck/49er/Warriors season ticket holders. So a good cross-section

– I think those who are season ticket holders have a better sense of the realtiy of the retrun of professional sport than most, and the upcoming challenges.

MSM doesn’t even talk about the following:

– NHL draws up their hockey schedule for the upcoming season in June: I don’t know anyone who believes they will be in a position to do so

– I haven’t talked to one season ticket holder of any professional sport who said they would be comfortable sitting in a packed Stadium in the fall to watch professional sport

– Despite getting emails from the organizations, not one season ticket holder I know has committed to paying for next year: and not one professional sport has outlined their reimbursement policy for this year’s missed games (Raptors even sent me an email asking for deposits for playoffs: LOL!). But they do send emails out asking us all to re-up next year,, and let them know, with no guidance

– Not only is it virtually impossible to contemplate any playoffs for NHL, I don’t see how any of the professional sports start up next season, all good.

– The whole “play in front of empty stadiums” might have some merit, untill you do the math and its thousands of athletes and staff per team quarantined, we are talking about all hanging out in Arizona for baseball for instance.

– I’d love to read articles, or have thougths on what the implications are of all this:

1) do players guarenteed salaries get paid going forward?
    2) When do athletes stop getting paid this year?
    3) Can the rights-holder withold payment if there is no product, or a lessened product?
    4 What happens when big companies can’t commit to pay for advertising or boxes?
    5) Can teams waiver away your right to sue them if you go to a game when there is no cure for the virus and a fan gets sick and dies due to being with tens of thousands of other people

– LT is doing a good job of keeping it real with all Oil in a vacuum. But MSM needs to step up and have better articles than: “the best player who wore each number on your favourite team”

– I don’t think sports is coming back as some think it is, in the same form or timeline. And I don’t think there has been real-talk about these deadlines, and the implications for sport

– Maybe NFL could play without fans: with a few shuflles: they could just do big Sunday’s starting in the fall: and that’s easier to coordinate 15 games once a week. TV revs are hugest in NFL by far.

– Harder for other sports who have much bigger schedule, travel and games and rely more on gate revenue…

73. Munny says:

Leroy Draisdale:
    Iasked this before a while back but may have missed the response. With revenue being hammered now and in the near future. Would KRusty’s lower actual salary not give him a bit more value and help with a clean disposition?

Yes, but the teams that need this approach are also the teams likely to be on KRusty’s NT list.

74. Leroy Draisdale says:

Fair enough. I guess I thought with everyone hurting financially, the list of teams this would be attractive to would be growing.

75. Munny says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

I’ve been saying this since the crisis started: it doesn’t look good economically, even out to the medium term, for a lot of industries. Anything that requires gathering… airplane travel, cruises, restaurants, concerts, sports, university classes, symposiums, trade shows, whatever… will be seriously affected.

Bars might do okay because kids are dumb and immortal, but by no means is that a sure thing. Just takes losing one or two friends and attitudes will change fast.

Latest reports on the pathology of the virus are not encouraging w.r.t. vaccine creation, but these reports have been changing weekly, so never know. But I think we do need to be careful in our hopes for a Covid panacea.

76. Munny says:

If they grow beyond the length of KRusty’s list, and that’s not an impossibility by any means, well then we’re in business!

77. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: Agreed 100% on Sheahan. On your 2nd point I think RHN (or Draisaitl at times) will remain wingers in the top 6. So the 3C upgrade (if it happens) will bring more offense than Sheahan, but we’re not talking an RNH in that spot.

Yup, same page we are on it. I would add, in addition to “provide depth, play wing, etc.” – kill penalties – something else Haas doesn’t do (or at least didn’t in his one NHL season).

78. OriginalPouzar says:

digger50:

The NHL mandated player isolation is over on Wednesday – of course, government has prohibited gatherings and such.

I’m not saying it won’t happen, or that it shouldn’t happen, but going to skate/practice is not towing the government please to stay home and not leave unless required.

79. jp says:

Oh yes, I think he could be moved for sure. No guarantee but not at all far fetched. Was just speaking to the NMC part, which I believe remains.

80. OriginalPouzar says:

Right, i forgot that Haas was that old – I was thinking he was more 26 or so (but knew he wasn’t – duh).

I thought Sheahan was pushing 30 for some reason.

Thanks.

81. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:

I agree with this. Although I’ve read the tweets/blogs using metrics that show what he provides on the PK does not make up for what he gave away at evens but, to me, he’s worth $1.2M for the PK alone, essentially.

From reading, many really thought he hurt the team at evens and I think that’s why some (many) want him gone. He did have a couple of stretches when he was making egregious mistakes game after game but he was better in February and started to show that he can play center potentially.

When he’s confidant he is a strong transitioner of the puck by skate and a plus to the team.

82. OriginalPouzar says:

Woogie63:
    I See;

AA as the 3rd line center
    Sheanan IF he signs for 1 year
    JJ and Haas as the 13/14 forwards

The best option from UFA group for the Oilers as;
    Mikael Grunlund – you would need to trade Russell

Has AA ever played center nightly at the NHL level?

I don’t see them bringing back both Haas and Sheahan, personally.

Granlund was one of my primary trade deadline targets – I imagine he’ll be priced out of Edmonton, even with a clean disposition of Rusty.

83. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

OriginalPouzar:the government please to stay home and not leave unless required.

Genuinely asking, you or anyone else who actually knows, but has the government actually issued a shelter in place order that prohibits non-essential travel? At least in Alberta?

84. N64 says:

No stay at home order in Alberta unless you have symptoms or are an active case or came from outside country in last 2 weeks.

Of course many of the places you might want travel to including non-essential business and national/provincial parks and skating rinks were ordered closed by Alberta. Beyond that they *recommended* limiting contacts.

On the plus side:

Ottawa company’s portable cov tester approved and Alberta gets 100K from the early run.

Also Alberta expanded test availability today to include everyone with symptoms. Assessment tool takes them to a web form. No need to call 811.

Percent of tests positive flat at 2%

85. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– This year, the Oiler would have had 4 20 goal scorers, and perhaps 5 with Kassian, based on a 82 game season

– Last year the Blues had 3 20 goal scorers

– in 2017 the Capitals won the Cup with 3 20 goal scorers

– Pitts had 5 and 4 20 goal scorers in the B2B Cup wins

– Fianlly Chicago in the last of their glorious runs had 4 20 goal scorers

– If past history is any indication, the Oilers this year would have had the same or more 20 goal scorers than the Cup winning teams in recent history

– This team does not need more 20 goal scorers to win the cup on that basis: sure get more if you can, but scoring this year wasn’t their issue. They might have won the cup this year, based on 5 20 goal scorers, and the narrative would be different

– Trading away actual NHL players like Larsson or Benning or Russell or Pool or othe actual NHL players for 2nd rounders or worse though, under the guise of having more draft picks : that’s not what this team needs to win now or in the future

– Anchored by two elite players, and secondary scoring, as measured by 20 goal scorers: we tick that box big-time. Our time is now, not trading away NHL players for picks.

86. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Munny,

– Yeah I don’t get the whole refusal to discuss these things. I mean I get it: sports business all relies on games, and talking about the negatives, probably doesn’t help talk up ones book

– But it’s astonishing to me, as a finance guy, that these risks are rarely talked about, not even really mentioned. As if this down-time is merely a small inconvenience, and it’s going to be all good ASAP

– In-depth articles exploring these issues would have far more impact IMO. But sports writers aren’t equipped to have this kind of insight as a whole. It’s been interesting to see most of the media exposed as simply reciting last nights sporting games: they have nuthin’

– how bout that list of the best wingers from Manitoba from the 1980’s, or NBA players playing HORSE…

87. Harpers Hair says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Munny,

– Yeah I don’t get the whole refusal to discuss these things.I mean I get it: sports business all relies on games, and talking about the negatives, probably doesn’t help talk up ones book

– In-depth articles exploring these issues would have far more impact IMO.But sports writers aren’t equipped to have this kind of insight as a whole.It’s been interesting to see most of the media exposed as simply reciting last nights sporting games: they have nuthin’

This was an issue decades ago.

I told sports reporters who worked for me that they would need to be journalists, not just purveyors of hi lights and cliches.

They resisted massively and the Oilers, in particular, went on the warpath.

You reap what you sow.

In regard to leagues who can’t play, CFL may have a major issue. I’m sure more articles will follow and possible impact on the other leagues as we prepare for their seasons, that kind of article would likely come from the likes of Rick Westhead, etc.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

I could very well see Benning sign a deal with the Oilers that is reasonable for the team – not much higher than his $2M. I could see him signing for 3 years, $6.75M.

I believe that Edmonton-born Matt Benning really likes being an Oiler and has loyalty to the Oiler for signing him to his ELC and giving him his shot and for how they treated him through his injury issues.

I am curious to find out if his deployment in 2020 was b/c Tippett/Playfair don’t trust him/like his game or a function of keeping his minutes down given the tough head year he was having.

Benning was very good this year pre-injury and plays the game bigger than he is – I don’t see how Playfair/Tippett don’t like him.

90. Munny says:

Well there’s a couple of things going on there.

Firstly MSM hockey writers don’t typically have the training/knowledge to report on complex economic issues. I don’t blame them for not sticking their necks out.

Secondly, the guys at Bloomberg or Forbes or WSJ or whatever media venue one trusts are probably not going to choose sports economics to write about when there are other crises far more pertinent to both Main Street and Wall Street.

Pretty tough to talk about hockey when say there’s a major pension fund watching its credit portfolio get blown to bits.

91. Munny says:

That said, Forbes has a massive blogging community that might have already tackled this issue.

92. OriginalPouzar says:

oilersfan:

I have little doubt this is the case and I fear it will be closer to $3M per.

I initially thought the acquisition was solely veteran depth for the playoff run but Tip/Playfair showed us right away that the player was acquired to play and he played 2nd pairing minutes in his 2nd game.

My fear is a re-signing with a view to being able to handle top 4 minutes.

Sure, if they want him to replace Benning and he comes in close to $2M, sure, I’m OK with that but, if they want him to play top 4 (even in a potential Larsson trade) and he comes in closer to $3M, I will not be on board to start.

93. leadfarmer says:

Until 18yo?? Well that’s junior high school for him

94. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn: I’ve been beating this drum as well. To me he is the perfect 6/7 dman to mentor Jones, Bouchard and Bear. If he has reached a point where he is willing to accept that playing 40-50 games a season will extend his career for a couple more years I would love to see him start on the 3rd pair with Jones and as injuries or circumstance dictate have Bouchard come up around Christmas.

I have all the time in the world for Green to be that guy – unfortuantely, I think his contract demands will preclude a signing for that role.

Of course, I’m just speculating that he’ll be looking for something around $3M and maybe even a couple of years. I fear Holland will offer that type of contract believing Green can handle 2RD for stretches.

95. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Harpers Hair: This was an issue decades ago.

They resisted massively and the Oilers, in particular, went on the warpath.

You reap what you sow.

– Interesting. Too bad they didn’t listen. There are some tremendous sports writers: those who weave sport into life, politics, beauty, framing things in the context of time. Providing perspective. Given humanity (the good bad and ugly of athletes). Story tellers. I’m thinking about King, or Ryan, or Brunt, Fisher, Wallace (his Fed article is master-class), DeFord, Reilly, Shipnuk, Hewitt, Jenkins (father and daughter), Wind, and a bunch more, heck Mailer had great sports stuff as did Hemmingway, The best sports writers blend life into their prose, to create an identity, not just report the scores and results. They weave narratives. LT at his best is able to do this.

– There are some great opportunities in this environment for sports writers to so much more IMO.

– But if your just product driven, and event reporting, this is exposing you big-time. There was a great quote I read about Sports Writers being the best training ground for writing

– Anyway, just my two cents.

96. defmn says:

OriginalPouzar: I thought we acquired him as that 6/7 guy but useage (albeit two games) showed otherwise.

Yeah, I know that is your concern. If that is what he wants I let him go see if he can get it elsewhere. Both of us are guessing but I think we have the top and bottom surrounded.

97. Harpers Hair says:

Thanks for the leads.

Agree that sports can tell us so much about the human condition but the opportunity is wasted so often.

Tomorrow we can discuss how Brogan Rafferty’s development was stunted because he shared the same name with a serial killer.

Stay tuned. 😎

Pro sports should be able to proceed soon with empty buildings.

There will be rapid PCR tests (under an hour) and antibody testing, which will allow teams to play in empty buildings. Everybody involved in a game (except with an antibody get-out-of-daily-testing-free-card), gets a rapid PCR test when they arrive for practive or the morning skate.

Pro sports hotels will do similar testing daily.

99. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn:
    /// I think we’ll see some movement, possibly Chiasson dealt. ///

I will be surprised if Chiasson is moved.

You say the money is value for a 3rd liner but he isn’t really a 3rd liner – he’s replacement level at evens and a PP specialist. His P/60 was below 0.9 this season but the previous three seasons were 1.28, 1.27 1.27.

Lets not forget, he did get material minutes with each of McDavid and Drai, in particular last season.

Its tough to find room in the bottom six for a poor skating, meh defensive player that doesn’t PK.

One of him or Neal on the 23 can be dealt with but we have two players with similar placement issues.

100. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: I think Holland and Tippett would like to run three more even pairs.

The McDavid pair:Nurse and Bear
    The Draisaitl pair:Klefbom and Green
    A strong 3rd pair:Jones and Larsson
    Russell in the pressbox

Bouchard the true number 7D, playing in BakersfieldConceivably the plan could be Klefbom/Bouchard

Lagesson waiting for an an injury callup in Bakersfield
    Samourukov making the push in AAA
    Broberg killing it in AA

Benning traded for a draft pick

I can’t get on board with Green getting 18-22 even strength minutes per.

101. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn: Signing Green and trading Benning gets you a #3 RD and a draft pick for about the same money as Benning with Bouchard maybe half a season away from ready.

102. Glovjuice says:

godot10:
    Pro sports should be able to proceed soon with empty buildings.

There will be rapid PCR tests (under an hour) and antibody testing, which will allow teams to play in empty buildings.Everybody involved in a game (except with an antibody get-out-of-daily-testing-free-card), gets a rapid PCR test when they arrive for practive or the morning skate.

Pro sports hotels will do similar testing daily.

Awesome post Klinger.

GODOT: Antibody tests are not “100 % enough” (the two critical pieces known as specificity and sensitivity won’t allow for what you are saying).

103. OriginalPouzar says:

Leroy Draisdale:

Not if the cap is lower in due to lower revenues.

I don’t see the cap going down mind you, however, at the same time, the majority of the league sill have the upper cap limit as their issue in building – there simply aren’t that many teams that can fit in $4M on their cap and are looking for lower outlay contracts. Throw in his NTC taking away half the league…..

104. jp says:

I just noticed the serial killer thing today. Ha! There can’t be a long list of Brogan Rafferty’s out there.

I did not say antibody testing is enough. Rapid PCR testing with results in under an hour, and daily testing is required.

106. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: Chiasson is probably value for the money at the end of the day but the issue is where does he fit in the lineup?

1.27 P/60 is a 3rd line rate. And 2 of those years were pre-Oilers.

From LT’s recent athletic article, Chiasson was 53.6 GF% without McDavid this season.

Maybe he sees the PB at points, but I don’t think he’s an issue at all. You play him on which ever bottom 6 line Archibald isn’t on IMO.

107. Harpers Hair says:

One is a serial killer…and the other is a stone cold killer. 🙂

108. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: I can’t get on board with Green getting 18-22 even strength minutes per.

I wouldn’t have organized the pairs as Godot did, but I think those will be the Oilers 6 main D to start the year.

I think Holland sees Green as a 2D candidate, but at the same time I’d be very surprised to see the job handed to him.

If RD is Bear-Larsson-Green (Bouchard) that’s quality depth. If Larsson struggles Green is there as cover. If he outplays Larsson (or Bear) he plays more. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

My guess has been Holland gives Green $2.5M X 2, which will be regarded as an overpay by many (this would also require most or all of Neal, Russell and Benning removed from the Oilers roster, so it’s no guarantee). I think Green has a good chance to cover that bet but I can also see the risks that others see.

If Larsson is traded and Green is the 2RD entering camp I’ll be with you thinking that’s very risky situation.

109. unca miltie says:

Just watched the ESPN film story on Magic Johnson quite fitting for today. HIV virus was a death sentence in 1991 when he announced. he prospers today. We have hope, this too will pass.

110. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: This is dependant on what Green will sign for and I have a feeling that he’ll be looking for around $3M AAV and more than 1 year – could be totally off on that.

Don’t fret.

I would imagine many, many players who are near their end of their careers and who have millions in the bank will decide their hockey careers are over.

They will be driven by the imperative that the risk is just not worth it.

I know I would,

111. Harpers Hair says:

Bob McCown
    @FadooBobcat
    9h
    With almost everyone housebound, you would think that t.v. ratings would be pretty good. Well, not for TSN and Sportsnet. Their numbers are down about 75% so far this month!

112. Munny says:

Harpers Hair:
    Bob McCown
    @FadooBobcat
    9h

I’m not surprised. I don’t think I’ve watched more than hour of the two networks put together in the entire month this has been going on.

113. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Harpers Hair,

If you could just go ahead and provide some background or context on that… yeah, that’d be greaaaat.

114. OriginalPouzar says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – This year, the Oiler would have had 420 goal scorers,and perhaps 5 with Kassian, based on a 82 game season

– Last year the Blues had 3 20 goal scorers

– in 2017 the Capitals won the Cup with 3 20 goal scorers

– Pitts had 5 and 4 20 goal scorers in the B2B Cup wins

– Fianlly Chicago in the last of their glorious runs had 4 20 goal scorers

– This team does not need more 20 goal scorers to win the cup on that basis: sure get more if you can, but scoring this year wasn’t their issue.They might have won the cup this year, based on 5 20 goal scorers, and the narrative would be different

– Trading away actual NHL players like Larsson or Benning or Russell or Pool or otheactual NHL players for 2nd rounders or worse though, under the guise of having more draft picks : that’s not what this team needs to win now or in the future

– Anchored by two elite players, and secondary scoring, as measured by 20 goal scorers: we tick that box big-time.Our time is now, not trading away NHL players for picks.

Fair enough.

A couple of points:

1) Goal scoring wasn’t an issue but goal scoring at 5 on 5 was. I don’t think a historic PP can be counted on year in and year out.

2) The team could win “now” (ish) – the time is now but I don’t agree that its just now – I agree with what Holland is trying to do which is build a team with “multiple chances” at the cup, that is, a team that will be in the playoffs year after year after year. In order for that to be build, drafting and development must be a focussed on as well as the the current team. Young players on value contracts are essential – they need to replace aging and high priced veterans. Sometimes a Benning or a Russell do need to be replaced with draft picks (in the case of Rusty, its cap savings move for current building as well).

115. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

OriginalPouzar,

Green’s current market value is 0.5x of his current AAV.

Why would you posit that he’s going to sign for a pay raise on his present value?

He’s on the wrong side of the aging curve. There is relative team depth. He has a significant working relationship with the GM and an operational familiarity with the organization already in place.

I’d post his contract at a max of $2.5M x 1 or 2 year term, with no trade protection.

116. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: Has AA ever played center nightly at the NHL level?

The only real stretch I found where he played C was after the trade deadline in 2018-19 (starting Feb 26th, 2019). Seemed to stay at C through the end of the season (19 games).

Those 19 games:
    2nd on the Wings with 236 FO, 47.0%.
    19-8-7-15 boxcars. -2 and 18:56 per game TOI.

His main line mates in 297 5v5 minutes were:
    Mantha (198 min)
    Bertuzzi (145 min)
    Glendenning (98 min)
    Helm (60 min)

Mantha, AA and Bertuzzi were 1, 2, 3 in scoring.

The Wings managed to go 9-9-1 in those games, so fake .500.
    The fancies were less kind. At 5v5 the team was:
    43.3% CF, 41.0% SF, 37.0% GF.

Athanasiou himself went:
    41.1% CF, 37.4% SF, 45.0% GF.

FWIW.

117. jp says:

SMH 🙂

118. Harpers Hair says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Harpers Hair,

Not sure what issue you’re asking about.

119. defmn says:

120. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Thanks for this.

121. Harpers Hair says:

defmn: I think I have only mentioned about 27 times that I expect Neal to be gone so there is no duplication. Chiasson may have ‘poor skating’ in terms of the quick fast guys. As I pointed out I happen to prefer balance. Big and strong help win cups too. The playoffs are littered with teams that lost in the first round because when the hitting got serious there was nobody to hit back.

Vancouver 2011 is the best example of this.

122. defmn says:

123. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair:
    One is a serial killer…and the other is a stone cold killer. 🙂

leadfarmer: Bogdan Blafferty is so old he already served a life sentence in prison followed by a life sentence in the Ahl

He’s Merle Haggard!

125. Gerta Rauss says:

The expansion draft rules require every team expose a D man that has played 40 games the previous year or 70 games the previous 2 years and has an NHL contract thru the 21/22 season

Nurse Klefbom Bear will meet this criteria but will be protected by the Oilers

Jones will meet the games played criteria, but I think he’ll be protected as well unless Kenny has bigger plans ie: trade

Lagesson may meet the games played criteria, we’ll see

Larsson and KRusty will not have contracts – maybe they extend Larsson and then expose him in the draft, we’ll see

And that brings us to Benning, or his replacement

I’m not a big fan of giving Green more than a 1 year deal but maybe they do for this very reason

126. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    OriginalPouzar,

Green’s current market value is 0.5x of his current AAV.

He’s on the wrong side of the aging curve.There is relative team depth.He has a significant working relationship with the GM and an operational familiarity with the organization already in place.

May I ask how you are so certain you know his current market value?

I think he could come in higher than that and with a couple years of term – term is egregious for a depth d-man approaching 35.

127. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: He’s filled in at C sporadically throughout his career (FO by year – 129, 83, 255, 399, 103). He’s not great at it – 42.4% in just shy of 1000 faceoffs in his Detroit career.

Those 19 games:
    2nd on the Wings with 236 FO, 47.0%.
    19-8-7-15 boxcars. -2 and 18:56 per game TOI.

His main line mates in 297 5v5 minutes were:
    Mantha (198 min)
    Bertuzzi (145 min)
    Glendenning (98 min)
    Helm (60 min)

Mantha, AA and Bertuzzi were 1, 2, 3 in scoring.

The Wings managed to go 9-9-1 in those games, so fake .500.
    The fancies were less kind. At 5v5 the team was:
    43.3% CF, 41.0% SF, 37.0% GF.

Athanasiou himself went:
    41.1% CF, 37.4% SF, 45.0% GF.

FWIW.

Thanks for that.

Seems he has played for short stretches here or there.

The numbers, with the best linemates on the team, are underwhelming at best and his faceoff percentage is near young Nuge levels…..

128. OriginalPouzar says:

Chiasson has size but his skating limits his ability to “hit back” I would say – he is 9th among Oilers forwards in Hits/60 this past season (i do acknowledge that tracking hits is quite subjective and varys per arena – however, the entire team is getting tracked by the same people on any particular night).

Recall, Chiasson was healthy scratched for the last two rounds when WSH won the cup.

129. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn: But that is what you have based all of your objections to signing him on and I have seen no indication anywhere that that is what is being considered. Have you seen somebody in the media or with the club suggest that is being contemplated?

130. oilersfan says:

Harpers Hair,

Of course they are. They keep playing the same 7-8 games over and over

Here’s a tip … show a classic series that a city fell in love with

In Calgary show the entire 2004 playoff run

In Edmonton show the entire 2006 playoff run

In Vancouver snow the entire 2011 playoff run

I know when they showed game five against San Jose from 2017 many here including me watched it. Why did they stop with one game?

Do they think there are any oilers fans who want to watch fleury score in game six 1991 even once, let alone 3 times a week? Do they not have a catalogue of thousands of games they could pick for nhl rewind or nhl classics? Even the Dallas oilers game 7 has gotten old after watching it twice.
    Whoever is running that “ classics” department needs to be replaced. It could be so good and is so …
    not

131. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: Thanks for that.

Seems he has played for short stretches here or there.

I don’t expect we’ll see him playing much 3C for the Oilers, but I’d give him a little more credit for that stretch than you are.

He scored well. His fancies were barely worse than the teams. He was 47% on faceoffs. He played ~1/3 of his minutes with Glendening and Helm (mostly not together btw). It wasn’t all bad.

But yeah, he hasn’t played C regularly in the NHL and he doesn’t seem like a great fit for that role on the next year Oilers. I don’t think he’s Holland’s solution for that spot.

132. who says:

oilersfan:
    Harpers Hair,

Of course they are. They keep playing the same 7-8 games over and over

Here’s a tip … show a classic series that a city fell in love with

In Calgary showthe entire 2004 playoff run

In Edmonton show the entire 2006 playoff run

In Vancouver snow the entire 2011 playoff run

Do they think there are any oilers fans who want to watch fleury score in game six 1991even once, let alone 3 times a week? Do they not have a catalogue of thousands of games they could pick for nhl rewind or nhl classics? Even the Dallas oilers game 7 has gotten old after watching it twice.
    not

Amen to this.
    Do they not have thousands of games on file?
    I’m sure they’ve run the same games a dozen times so far. What the hell?

133. who says:

OriginalPouzar: Nope, as I’ve said many times, its speculation but its what I feel he will be looking for.

Soooooo…… what makes you so certain that he won’t sign for less than 3 million?

134. Harpers Hair says:

oilersfan:
    Harpers Hair,

Of course they are. They keep playing the same 7-8 games over and over

Here’s a tip … show a classic series that a city fell in love with

In Calgary showthe entire 2004 playoff run

In Edmonton show the entire 2006 playoff run

In Vancouver snow the entire 2011 playoff run

not

The rights to many games are still held by CBC and I heard on the radio that CBC scrubbed many of their archives as a cost saving measure.

135. OriginalPouzar says:

who: You literally just asked a poster how he could be so certain Green would sign for 2.5 million.
    Soooooo…… what makes you so certain that he won’t sign for less than 3 million?

I posted my opinion on what he is going to request as a pending UFA.

The response received told me, as a fact, that his value was half his current value and asked me why I think he gets more than market.

I responded and asked how that poster is so certain on the market.

I’ve been very clear that its my thought and speculation on what Green will require to sign. I’m not posting it as fact, based on any information or as a certainty.