I’m no math scientist, but if the cap remains flat the Oilers could be in more hell than a little bit. There’s so much we don’t know, but let’s address the things we know for a fact and develop worry lines from there.
The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, check it out here.
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘Oh my God, Edmonton’s picking first’: An oral history of the 2015 NHL draft lottery
- New Lowetide: Comparison of Oilers, Flames drafts 2010-19 closer than it should be
- Lowetide: The most potent lines in Oilers history
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: On the time Dave Semenko fought Muhammad Ali
- Lowetide: Why Jan Mysak could be a value pick for the Oilers at the 2020 Draft
- Jonathan Willis: The Oilers overcame malice in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver to join the NHL
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Remembering Jacques Plante’s brief tenure with the Oilers at age 45
- Lowetide: Oilers need to find (or get) real value in William Lagesson
- Jonathan Willis: Flashback: When ‘Oil Change’ revealed key details of Oilers’ 1979, 2010 drafts
- Lowetide: Edmonton’s Sports Hall of Fame should have 3 founding members
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers forward Colby Cave dies at age 25
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘The world needs more Colbys’: Teammates and coaches mourn Colby Cave
- Jonathan Willis: What does the Oilers best possible playoff lineup look like?
- Lowetide: Why Jack Quinn is a perfect 2020 draft fit for the Oilers
- Jonathan Willis: For one glorious fall, Alexander Selivanov was the NHL’s most dangerous scorer
- Lowetide: Oilers’ five-on-five with and without Connor McDavid is improving
- Lowetide: Bakersfield Condors forward prospects might need a history lesson
- Lowetide: Craig MacTavish’s most important Oilers moment? Picking Leon Draisaitl
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: If play does not resume, 5 notable questions that will go unanswered in Edmonton
- Lowetide: Making the call on RFA and UFA players on the Oilers’ 50-man roster
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Scott Howson on new AHL job, Oilers’ unsung prospect and development updates
- Lowetide: A look back at reasonable expectations and the Oilers fantastic special teams in 20
OILERS AND THE CAP
Assuming $81.5 million and no buyouts, Edmonton can’t afford to sign Mike Smith. I don’t have his bonuses included here, only the buyouts and retention dollars, so Edmonton may have to cut more money.
With all the teams looking at less for cap room, we might see teams attempt to make do with what they have. Oilers could walk the AA or Benning contracts and elevate Tyler Benson and Evan Bouchard but that decreases depth and pushes two rookies into the opening night lineup.
Players who could benefit? Evan Bouchard and Tyler Benson, both under $1 million before bonuses. If the market doesn’t allow a Russell trade, Benning might be the defenseman sent out, perhaps Chiasson up front. How does that look? Can Smith fit onto the tweaked roster?
Note: This isn’t what I’m thinking, this is what I think the organization may see as the way forward. What would I like to see?
Eventually I think Puljujarvi would replace Kassian, someone needs to be the defensive conscience on that trio and I believe JP has that kind of skill set. Russell is dealt, Neal is bought out, a couple of rookies and maybe a lack of experience on the back end. I like my free agent goalie. You?
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
At 10 this morning, I’m back on the radio, TSN1260. Vinny Iyer from the Sporting News will talk NFL draft, trades and some free agency. Michael DeCourcy (Sporting News), talk The Last Dance and how the NFL will handle spring camps and preseason. Jason Gregor TSN1260 on what will the Chiefs do at the draft and we’ll talk a little Oilers too. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!