I don’t know what happened to the Finland-to-Edmonton express, but the bloom is off the rose for kids from Finlandia, and vice versa. Something happened along the way, from Jari Kurri to Esa Tikkanen to Jani Rita and Jesse Puljujarvi. This summer might be the best time to trade JP, but draft rules may make it difficult or impossible. Perhaps it’s a blessing. We wait.
The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, check it out here.
- New Lowetide: Oilers Ryan Nugent-Hopkins far more than ‘also in photo’ contributor
- New Jonathan Willis: Building the best all-time Oilers roster, with a twist
- Lowetide: What are Tyler Benson’s chances of making the Oilers in 2020-21?
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘They were looking outside the box’: Oilers’ distinctive third jerseys still stand out
- Lowetide: If Oilers draft for skill, Seth Jarvis likely to be best available
- Jonathan Willis and Lowetide: Should the Oilers pursue Taylor Hall this summer?
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis: The results are in: How you voted in our inaugural Oilers fan survey
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How the Oilers are preparing for an NHL draft in June
- Jonathan Willis: How Gaetan Haas, Joakim Nygard and Riley Sheahan draw calls that lead to goals
- James Mirtle: Ranking every NHL team’s salary cap situation, from best to worst
- Lowetide: Can the Oilers find Connor McDavid’s ideal winger this summer?
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The two coaches who had the biggest influence on Dave Tippett
- Jonathan Willis: The 5 reasons why the Oilers re-signed Gaetan Haas
- Jonathan Willis: Can (and should) the Oilers trade Kris Russell?
- Jonathan Willis: How Edmonton could have left 2010 draft with both Taylor Hall and Ryan Johansen
- Lowetide: Kailer Yamamoto’s NHL comparables offer Oilers fans hope for the future
- Lowetide: Top 20 prospect update: A lot of movement and some impressive graduations
- Lowetide: Mavrik Bourque a quality option for the Oilers in the draft
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Inside the franchise-altering decision to pick Leon Draisaitl over Sam Bennett
- Jonathan Willis and Lowetide: Discount forward options the Oilers could pursue in free agency
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘Oh my God, Edmonton’s picking first’: An oral history of the 2015 NHL draft lottery
- Lowetide: Why Jan Mysak could be a value pick for the Oilers at the 2020 Draft
2019-20 OILERS PROSPECTS NHLE
NHLE suggests the most valuable forwards are Puljujarvi, Lavoie and Benson, suspect that’s about right. I think McLeod is the other forward on this list we’ll be talking about a year from now. Club needs that footspeed in Edmonton yesterday.
I don’t know if organizations think this way, but wonder if the success of Kailer Yamamoto this past season might confirm the organization was in fact correct when drafting Puljujarvi. Perhaps Ken Holland finds a way to fix this issue.
I also wanted to take a moment to talk about Ken Holland’s procurement, represented on this list by Broberg, Lavoie, Konovalov, Blumel, Mazura, Denezhkin, Kuffner and Lennstrom.
For the most part, we’re two years from knowing much about these names. However, Broberg should play a more prominent role in the SHL and at the WJs and Lavoie is going to get a chance to play in the minors out of the box. Those two names are the early ones for fans to monitor in the Holland era.
PROSPECTS IN 1980 SUMMER
Ever wonder what prospect lists of the past looked like? I lived through those years, didn’t have the internet to interact so prospect watching was a solo endeavor. Here’s an estimate of what 1980 would have looked like. Pretty damned good.
Four men over 1,000 games, plus Moog at 713 is the equivalent of 1,000 or more for goaltenders. Poddubny had a solid NHL career, Roulston hung around for some time. Three HHOFers and one of the truly underrated players on that great Oilers team in Huddy. Not bad.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
A fun, busy show today, TSN1260, beginning at 10. Jonathan Willis from The Athletic will pop in to talk NHL draft and all-time Oilers teams. Ryan Rishaug from TSN will join us at 11 to discuss the latest on the 2019-20 season and draft chatter. At 11:25, Cody Corbett will talk about the Oil Kings 2014 run (we’ll play game two of the 2014 playoff series between the OK and Portland). 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!