Green Acres

I’ve been putting this off in hopes of finding out how the Oilers amateur procurement hierarchy works now, but alas the mystery has not unraveled in these last months. Tyler Wright is in charge of the amateur draft now, and Bob Green is not, of that I’m fairly certain based on parsing the wind and whippoorwills since October. That means it is time to have a look at the draft record of Mr. Green, 2015-2019. Note: Keith Gretzky would have impacted the 2017-2019 drafts, but for our purposes today we’ll deal with the scouting team under the name Bob Green.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, check it out here.

Success in the first round. Green was in place in time for the 2015 draft but the heavy work during the season included Stu MacGregor and two other scouts who were fired the week before the draft. It doesn’t matter who gets credit for Connor McDavid because that selection took no expertise. However, as we move later into the piece, we’ll need to address that issue. Jesse Puljujarvi was the initial first-round pick post-MacGregor, it was not a success but I don’t think it’s rational to blame the procurement manager. The blame goes farther up the food chain. Kailer Yamamoto in 2017 showed some innovation, a small winger with no fear and a great deal of skill. Evan Bouchard in 2018 (over Oliver Wahlstrom and Noah Dobson) is too soon to call but trending well. Philip Broberg was a curious choice.

Bottom line on Green in the first round: Puljujarvi was the right selection, no doubt in my mind. Yamamoto was inspired, Bouchard at the very least is poised to deliver substantial value. Broberg felt wrong but we’ll see. Oilers drafted well in four of five seasons, Broberg the outlier until proven otherwise.

Success in the second round. Tyler Benson is the one skater Green fretted over, he said something like it was not a restful sleep overnight waiting for round two. Ryan McLeod is kind of the opposite prospect type, fast and a center but worries about his offense exist. Olivier Rodrigue is one of the organization’s two best goalie prospects and coming off a season where he posted a .918SP in the diabolical QMJHL. Raphael Lavoie is the most recent selection and may be remembered as the best of the bunch. His outer marker is the most promising among the forwards in this group.

Bottom line on Green in the second round: Benson over Alex DeBrincat isn’t getting an easier in the Guide and Record Book but the player continues to matriculate and I think he’s going to have a career unless Holland and Tippett find him wanting. McLeod looks like a nice pick from here, I love his speed and the offense was better than expected in year one pro. Rodrigue and Lavoie are good arrows now, but early days.

Success in the third round. I don’t know how the Oilers line up their list but in 2016 the team had three third-round picks and used all of them on defensemen who were going to take some time: Markus Niemelainen, Matthew Cairns and Filip Berglund. That’s a strange play. In 2017 Edmonton traded up for Stuart Skinner and then drafted Dmitri Samorukov later in the round. Ilya Konovalov was an astute, I’ll say inspired choice, in its own way as innovative as Yamamoto in the first round. He’s close to NHL-ready, has two solid to excellent KHL seasons on his resume and his only crime is being a little smaller than ideal.

Bottom line on Green in the third round. I remain flummoxed by the usage of the three 2016 third rounders, but Niemelainen and Berglund signed and one of them (Berglund) might just make it. Green seemed to be focused on Skinner in the same way he was Benson, suspect WHL bias might have been involved (I’m not being critical I’m the same way but it can lead to blind spots). Samorukov was an impressive pick, you could argue that was first-round value, or at least top-40 value. I’m impressed with Konovalov one year in.

Success in projecting. After the third round, teams are asking scouts to find players who can be projected into future roles despite having been found lacking in one way or another. The 2015 draft can’t be completely credited to Green (he was officially director of player personnel) but he was part of the scouting staff that shaped the list. The scouts found Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear and John Marino after round three in 2015. Music! So, I’m giving some credit here, your mileage may vary. Kirill Maksimov and Phil Kemp, plus Michael Kesselring and Matej Blumel, may one day join the 2015 trio.

OILERS SCOUTS 2014-15

• Bob Green: Director of Player Personnel
  • [Stu MacGregor: Head Amateur Scout]-FIRED BEFORE 2015 DRAFT
  • Bill Dandy: QMJHL
  • [Brad Davis: OHL, tier 2 leagues]-FIRED BEFORE 2015 DRAFT
  • [Kent Hawley: OHL, QMJHL]-FIRED BEFORE 2015 DRAFT
  • Bob Brown: WHL (and BCJHL based on media comments)
  • Jim Crosson: WHL
  • Scott Harlow: NCAA and American junior leagues (east coast)
  • Frank Musil: Europe
  • Pelle Eklund: Europe
  • Robert Nordmark: Europe
  • Joseph Cucci: Year three, don’t know his area but it might be New England
  • Dave Heitz: Year three, goalie scout
  • Matti Virmanen: Oilers rely on him, gets mentioned a lot in media
  • Sylvain Rodrigue: Year two, goalies.

OILERS 2015 DRAFT

• Round 1, No. 1 overall: C Connor McDavid (351 NHL games)
  • Round 4, No. 117 overall: LD Caleb Jones (60 NHL games)
  • Round 5, No. 124 overall: RD Ethan Bear (89 NHL games)
  • Round 6, No. 154 overall: RD John Marino (56 NHL games)
  • Round 7, No. 208 overall: G Miroslav Svoboda.
  • Round 7, No. 209 overall: LD Ziyat Paigin.

OILERS 2016 DRAFT

• Round 1, No. 4 overall: R Jesse Puljujarvi (139 NHL games)
  • Round 2, No. 32 overall: L Tyler Benson (7 NHL games)
  • Round 3, No. 63 overall: LD Markus Niemelainen.
  • Round 3, No. 84 overall: LD Matthew Cairns.
  • Round 4, No. 91 overall: RD Filip Berglund.
  • Round 5, No. 123 overall: G Dylan Wells.
  • Round 5, No. 149 overall: L Graham McPhee.
  • Round 6, No. 153 overall: RC Aapeli Rasanen.
  • Round 7, No. 183 overall: RD Vincent DeSharnais.

OILERS 2017 DRAFT

• Round 1, No. 22 overall: R Kailer Yamamoto (53 NHL games).
  • Round 3, No. 78 overall: G Stuart Skinner.
  • Round 3, No. 84 overall: LD Dmitri Samorukov.
  • Round 4, No. 115 overall: L Ostap Safin.
  • Round 5, No. 146 overall: R Kirill Maksimov.
  • Round 6, No. 177 overall: LC Skyler Brind’Amour.
  • Round 7, No. 208 overall: RD Phillip Kemp.

OILERS 2018 DRAFT

• Round 1, No. 10 overall: RD Evan Bouchard (7 NHL games)
  • Round 2, No. 40 overall: LC Ryan McLeod.
  • Round 2, No. 62 overall: G Olivier Rodrigue.
  • Round 6, No. 164 overall: RD Michael Kesselring.
  • Round 7, No. 195 overall: L Patrick Siikanen.

OILERS 2019 DRAFT

• Round 1, No. 8 overall: LD Philip Broberg
  • Round 2, No. 38 overall: RC Raphael Lavoie
  • Round 3, No. 85 overall: G Ilya Konovalov
  • Round 4, No. 100 overall: L Matej Blumel
  • Round 6, No. 162 overall: RC Tomas Mazura
  • Round 7, No. 193 overall: LC Maxim Denezhkin

BOB GREEN’S REPORT CARD

As is the case with any scouting director/head scout, the decision on first-round selections is often made at a higher pay grade. McDavid was a no-brainer, Broberg felt like a Holland pick (remember, he would know both DRW and Oilers lists).

In between, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto and Bouchard are talented players with skill. I think Green and his men handed quality talent to the organization in the first round. After that, most of the picks inside the top 100 were players who had/have a chance to make it to the NHL.

If the goal is two NHL players per year, and we give Green credit for being part of the 2015 draft process (he was), that means 10 NHL players gets him a pass. McDavid, Jones, Bear, Marino, Yamamoto are already there. Bouchard, Broberg and a nice group of second-round picks should get Green close to 10.

Green will be remembered for the Griffin Reinhart trade, and for not drafting Alex DeBrincat.

My Grade: We’ll know more in 2024, but for me Green’s record shows innovation (Yamamoto, Konovalov) and very little ‘death valley’ clusters of five or six names that are destined to deliver zero NHL games. I give Green a “B” and would suggest he had a more successful run than MacGregor and Kevin Prendergast. Comparing anyone to Barry Fraser is crazy, because he delivered an all-time best draft cluster 1979-83 before settling in for a long and mediocre coda. Green did a good job. That’s my opinion.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Friday morning with snow? Get outta town! We start at 10, TSN1260. Steve Lansky will talk about the 24-team playoff the NHL players are voting on and I’ll ask him about the pressures of as many as three games a day from the same building. Matthew Iwanyk will drop in at 11 to discuss the NHL plan and what the CFL is up to right now. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

145 Responses to "Green Acres"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

I have reservation with the switch in amateur procurement. I would say that, while every team has draft wins and loses, on aggregate, Tyler Wright’s record is more “meh” than that of Green/Gretzky in recent years.

Time will tell how it goes.

I’m 100% on board with Archie Henderson taking over pro scouting – any change in pro scouting has to be a win.

2. N64 says:

@TSNBobMcKenzie
    It’s my understanding NHLPA conference call tonight was spirited if not raucous. While exec committee voting won’t be finalized until Friday, some believe Don Fehr may already have or will get the mandate to accept NHL RTP plan but not overwhelmingly so.

Cautionary note. The PA will likely want a strong consensus. Conversely if specific issues can increase that consensus that may give Fehr more leverage to push Bettman on those specifics.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Whoa – citing that taking Bouchard over Dobson is “trending well” could be questioned by some non-Oiler fans on this board. Dobson was in the NHL last year remember. Of course, he was healthy scratched for half the year and was only in the NHL b/c the AHL wasn’t an option, but the facts aren’t necessarily important….

4. Oil2Oilers says:

Remember the long, long debates in these parts on shot quality? In which people trying to understand the effects of puck possession, using an imperfect but available metric, talked passed people who were focused on goal scoring and were blind to anything but. Anyways I am happy that all is now settled and we can move on to other battles.

The reason I bring this up is a video I saw this morning of a reopened Bucks training facility. They have painted expected points per shot info onto the court from different locations.

I love this idea. One of my favorite war stories for my information systems days, was the most effective warehouse.managment system I ever installed involved a bucket of paint and lines on the warehouse floor. Good information can inform good coaching.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

WIth respect to the NHLP exec voting on format of return to play, lets not forget that its just the format being agreed to and there will still be a ton of other logistics to negotiate and agree to (testing, quarantine/bubble situations, etc.).

This is just format of play matters – I believe.

6. Ben says:

OriginalPouzar,

A sliver of luck separates savants from imbeciles at the draft. The defining factor is values.

The Broberg pick tells us that Holland doesn’t care to draft early for need, which is good. But it suggests some murky things about what he values in a player (poise? position? jawline?). I’d love to hear the rationale on that pick, however it turns out.

I suspect Broberg is more Nurse than Nurse, which is not a bad thing. May not bring as much physicality or offense.

7. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar: This is just format of play matters – I believe

Sure, but if the Bobfather is correct about Fehr potentially getting a weak mandate that could actually give Fehr more leverage with Gary at the next step to get something that would bring more players on board. #goodcopbadcop

8. flea says:

Sounds like the Oilers will get the Hawks in the proposed play in. Not sure I love this system – who knows what could happen. I think the Hawks are the best option, but I prefered the round robin format when they would play all the other teams and would really have to fall flat to get bumped out. At worst, they would get bumped down.

It’ll be a fun series at least, hopefully the Oilers can get through as they would get the 4 seed in round 2.

9. Darth Tu says:

OriginalPouzar: @TSNBobMcKenzie

Now, let me talk from the league’s perspective. If they’ve decided they need the Chicago/NYR/Montreal markets in any TV playoffs for revenue purposes it’s probably going to happen. Whether those teams are currently outside the playoffs in a standard year is moot. All the league has to do is push for a flat or reduced cap for next season and all of a sudden, the big ticket FAs (ahem, Hall) aren’t very likely to see the big contracts they were hoping for, or are seeing their choice of destination severely reduced.

In the end money will win out. I love the romanticism of sport, but as we all know, it’s a business.

10. defmn says:

Bob Green is the only Oilers’ scout I have ever had a chance to talk to.

It was in Penticton at the rookie tournament in 2013 the year they tried to sign Tkachev who must have been 130 pounds soaking wet. I can still see him in my mind walking along the lake shore with Yakimov who towered over him.

The conversation was about smaller players because Tkachev was tearing it up at the tournament and Green was a big fan. I offered the opinion that I had nothing against small players but wasn’t a fan of small teams.

Green nodded, “Exactly.”

I’ll bet he regrets the miss on DeBrincat to this day but I will also bet that if he had chosen him there would be no Yamomoto.

11. dustrock says:

Darth Tu: Let me first state that I’m more on the side of the players in any arguments over sporting merit.

Now, let me talk from the league’s perspective. If they’ve decided they need the Chicago/NYR/Montreal markets in any TV playoffs for revenue purposes it’s probably going to happen.Whether those teams are currently outside the playoffs in a standard year is moot. All the league has to do is push for a flat or reduced cap for next season and all of a sudden, the big ticket FAs (ahem, Hall) aren’t very likely to see the big contracts they were hoping for, or are seeing their choice of destination severely reduced.

I think this is fair, especially as teams aren’t going to get the extra money from the playoff ticket sellouts and concession, not to mention merchandise.

12. Harpers Hair says:

A couple of weeks ago, I posted what has become a driving force behind the return to play…local TV contracts.

It seems some of these regional deals include a clause that the broadcaster can roll over their rights to next season without payment to the teams if this season is not completed to their satisfaction and there is a lot of money at stake,

For example, MSG Network pays the Rangers $35 million to broadcast their games.

Similar deals exist in Chicago, Montreal and others.

13. Darth Tu says:

Harpers Hair,

Yup, which factors into cap decisions for next year. If I’m a pending free agent I can see the lure of voting in favour of playoffs for all teams not mathematically eliminated after 68 games.

Does that mean crappy teams are getting in? Yes it does. Does it make a payday more likely in the long run? Yes it does.

I think you were posting about expanded rosters early on as well? Or was it OP? Again from a players point of view, all of the AHL guys who are on the cusp of a call up with a 2 way contract would surely be jumping at the chance for 24 teams to make it in.

14. defmn says:

As I mentioned in yesterday’s thread the push for 24 teams could just as easily have come from the players as from the league. Revenue sharing tends to make for mutual interest in money matters.

15. JimmyV1965 says:

I have zero issue with a 24-team format. Some teams will benefit and some will be hurt. However, any team included in the new playoff format should automatically be excluded from the playoff lottery.

16. Harpers Hair says:

TSN radio in Vancouver has an interview with Shea Webber coming up.

Will report.

17. jtblack says:

Harpers Hair,

“One would think those teams would get massive viewership should they be involved in a 24 team playoff tournament.”

I was thinking about this …. . do we think viewership will be higher?

1) the playoffs will be happening in the middle of summer ….
    2) other sports will be back as well (golf, nba, nfl (September)
    3) the viewing of an NHL game without fans, may lack the traditional pop of a game with a raucious playoff crowd and turn some people away ….
    4) NHL will have been off for 4 months. When past lockouts or disruptions have occurred, a % of people never come back and others come back slowly …

I am interested to see how viewership is when the NHL resumes … Just curious what others think?

18. jtblack says:

JimmyV1965:

+1. makes no sense that a team can be in the playoffs and still have a chance at #1 overall ..

19. Harpers Hair says:

jtblack:
    Harpers Hair,

I was thinking about this …. . do we think viewership will be higher?

1)the playoffs will be happening in the middle of summer ….
    2)other sports will be back as well (golf, nba, nfl (September)
    3)the viewing of an NHL game without fans, may lack the traditional pop of a game with a raucious playoff crowd and turn some people away ….
    4) NHL will have been off for 4 months.When past lockouts or disruptions have occurred, a % of people never come back and others come back slowly …

I am interested to see how viewership is when the NHL resumes …Just curious what others think?

Very different times.

Of course any number of viewers is better than none.

20. N64 says:

jtblack:
    Harpers Hair,

I was thinking about this …. . do we think viewership will be higher?

1)the playoffs will be happening in the middle of summer ….
    2)other sports will be back as well (golf, nba, nfl (September)

21. jtblack says:

N64: For Gary and the PA the important thing is simply that the rightsholders accept the substitute menu from Gary and pay up without conditions on actual tv ratings.

the Networks are starving for content, so I think they will be Happy with anything ….

Consumers are hungry for content as well, but I am interested to see if that turns into “MORE” viewership …

22. Harpers Hair says:

Shea Weber from Kelowna:

Excited to get back.

Has been training but looking for ice.

No teams have momentum so upsets likely.

Hot goaltending a key.

No other way to do this.

Worried about injuries with condensed schedule.

Will need to expand rosters.

Not much insight.

23. Darth Tu says:

jtblack: +1.makes no sense that a team can be in the playoffs and still havea chance at #1 overall ..

Or alternatively make it all 31 teams in the lottery.

24. Darth Tu says:

Harpers Hair:
    Shea Weber from Kelowna:

Excited to get back.

Has been training but looking for ice.

No teams have momentum so upsets likely.

Hot goaltending a key.

No other way to do this.

Worried about injuries with condensed schedule.

Will need to expand rosters.

Not much insight.

Goalie injuries are the big fear (same as it ever was).

25. Elgin R says:

Green’s picks when he was given control in the later rounds look good (Bear, Jones, Marino). The horrible trades were not on him. So, he did OK with what he had. I would grade him a B just for the defencemen from 2015.

Does it suck for the Oilers who are in 2nd place in their division to have to play a ‘play in game’? Yes it does. However, I don’t care as they would be in the playoffs and we have not had enough of that lately. So to get to the 3rd round we have to beat Chicago and Dallas – the Oilers can do this.

GOG

flea:

A five game playoff series, when one has McDavid and Draisaitl, is preferable to round robin play.

27. JimmyV1965 says:

jtblack:
    Harpers Hair,

I was thinking about this …. . do we think viewership will be higher?

1)the playoffs will be happening in the middle of summer ….
    2)other sports will be back as well (golf, nba, nfl (September)

I think viewership in every Canadian market will likely set records. In the U.S., viewership will be different in every market. As long as a city has a team in the fight, and they aren’t competing with the NBA, viewership would be very very high. I could be wrong about this, but my sense is New York sports fans would likely watch the Rangers in the playoffs over the Mets playing regular season games. Of course, I’m sure there’s a big group of New York sports fans who just have no interest in the NHL.

28. PennersPancakes says:

Blackhawks with their experience and stars do cause some concern. Any team with Kane and Toews is going to be a bitch. The one caveat is that the Stanley Cup core is aging fast and have had played more post season games than the average team.

Ages starting the season
    Kane – 30
    Toews – 31
    Keith – 36
    Seabrook – 34
    Crawford – 34

The young guns: Debrincat, Kubalik, Dach, Boqvist, Nylander will have some kick but none have playoff experience.

Goaltending matters most in the playoffs and after unloading Lehner Chiacgo has Crawford (who has had a nice bounce back season this year) and Subban (who doesnt inspire much confidence). Where as Kosk and Smith have both shown they can get hot in spurts.

The deal breakers for me are McDavid/Drai (cheat codes) and the Oilers defense depth. If Seabrook didnt fall off a cliff and De Haan wasnt broken it would be closer but Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Bear, Russell, Jones, Benning, Green, Lagesson are all NHL options. None are a true #1 but I’m not sure if Keith is one anymore anyways.

And theres always Bouchard as the black ace.

29. JimmyV1965 says:

Darth Tu: Or alternatively make it all 31 teams in the lottery.

30. jtblack says:

JimmyV1965,

“I think viewership in every Canadian market will likely set records.”

expand on why you think that?

in a regular playoffs, the viewership it what it is – “normal”

So why will this playoffs create more viewers? because the 15,000 ppl at the rink are at home? lots of ppl who would be watching at bars may be watching at home?

Viewership could be up. we just don’t know …

I will be watching as long as Edm is in, but let’s just say Edm lost out to Chi in Round 1. There is a good chance I don’t watch another game …

31. jtblack says:

Darth Tu,

“On the injury thing, you’ve got to think that the younger teams are going to have a real advantage in this area. Obviously a broken bone is a broken bone, but the chances of a muscle pull/tear is far lower for the young guys than the elderly players. ”

This is true. The flip side, as a normal season wears on, the older guys struggle to stay healthy. All of a sudden now, an aging team like Chicago shows up for a playoff series and EVERYONE of their guys is 100% healthy. To me that’s an advantage for them …

32. JimmyV1965 says:

PennersPancakes:

Ages starting the season
    Kane – 30
    Toews – 31
    Keith – 36
    Seabrook – 34
    Crawford – 34

And theres always Bouchard as the black ace.

The Oilers should beat the Hawks, but I see them as one of the most unpredictable teams entering the playoffs. I won’t be totally blown away if they make the final and I won’t be shocked if they lose in the first round.

With McDavid, Drai, RNH, and the overall depth of their defence, they could be a handful for some really good teams. But I have no idea what we will get with goaltending. Koskinen and Smith could fall flat on their face. Or be stars.

Early, early wild and likely baseless prediction; Darnell Nurse establishes himself as a dominating, punishing dman who is essential to the Oilers success.

33. Harpers Hair says:

“Want to make the play-in really interesting? Loser gets the first-round draft pick of the winner. Example: If Montreal beats Pittsburgh, or Chicago beats Edmonton, the Penguins/Oilers go where the Canadiens/Blackhawks would have originally chosen (eighth and ninth, respectively). Yes, there are complications with Arizona (first-round spot tied up in the Taylor Hall trade) and Vancouver (first-round selection linked to New Jersey via Tampa in the J.T. Miller/Blake Coleman deals), but these can be worked out.”

34. jp says:

Ben:
    OriginalPouzar,

The rationale is simple, no? 6’3′ 200lb D who skates like the wind and has (at times) shown the ability to take over games. He wasn’t the consensus pick at #8 but the upside clearly has immense value.

35. jtblack says:

Harpers Hair:

what’s the point of that? That system is punishing a team for winning??

36. Harpers Hair says:

jp: The rational is simple, no? 6’3′ 200lb D who skates like the wind and has (at times) shown the ability to take over games. He wasn’t the consensus pick at #8 but the upside clearly has immense value.

You know who was also 6’2″ 210 and could skate like the wind?

Steve Kelly.

37. JimmyV1965 says:

jtblack:
    JimmyV1965,

“I think viewership in every Canadian market will likely set records.”

expand on why you think that?

in a regular playoffs, the viewership it what it is – “normal”

So why will this playoffs create more viewers?because the 15,000 ppl at the rink are at home?lots of ppl who would be watching at bars may be watching at home?

Viewership could be up. we just don’t know …

I could be wrong, but my sense is people are starved for content, and basically anything to distract them from the covid crisis. The NHL is the national sport and the resumption of play will draw more fans than ever. People who would normally be meh about watching will be more interested than usual. For me, if Edmonton loses in the first round, I’ll still be very interested in what happens, more so than usual.

38. jp says:

Harpers Hair: You know who was also 6’2″ 210 and could skate like the wind?

Steve Kelly.

Sigh.

I know who Steve Kelly is.

39. dustrock says:

Does the rest help or hurt vets like Keith, Toews and Kane?

40. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: You know who was also 6’2″ 210 and could skate like the wind?

Steve Kelly.

You stealing my material now? 😉

41. Darth Tu says:

JimmyV1965: Depending on the set up, this could be grossly unfair to teams like Detroit and Ottawa. Maybe you have a system that doesn’t impact the odds of the bottom eight teams.

Oh yeah, make it completely unlikely that whoever wins the Stanley has a real shot at the pick. You can weight it so that Ottawa has a decent chance at a top 3 pick.

42. Darth Tu says:

jtblack: what’s the point of that? That system is punishing a team for winning??

Isn’t punishing teams for winning exactly what the draft system does already?

43. PennersPancakes says:

dustrock:
    Does the rest help or hurt vets like Keith, Toews and Kane?

In the latest spitting chiclets they brought up rest and I think it was Biz who thinks the vets will get hurt harder. Something along the lines the young kids have had a much more structured routine growing up and need less time in general to get into game shape.

I think how dilligent/motivated the player is will play a larger role but if you have 2 players with a ~10 year gap keeping up on their training, I would put money on the young gun coming back better.

Dallas will be an interesting team to watch depending on if they get a bye or some warm up games.

Benn 30
    Radulov 33
    Pavelski 35
    Perry 34

Im unsure on Radulov but the other werent strong skaters coming into the break…

44. jp says:

defmn:
    It sounds promising to my epidemiologically illiterate brain.

I’m semi-literate and it does sound promising for sure. I’m not sure that using a viral vector to deliver the antigen/vaccine is approved in the west though… Anyone else know?

45. Kert says:

Harpers Hair: You know who was also 6’2″ 210 and could skate like the wind?

Steve Kelly.

Pop quiz, who scored more goals in the NHL, Steve Kelly or JFJ?

46. tileguy says:

Apples to oranges I know, but shows how people are starved for content.

NASCAR’s return to racing last Sunday at Darlington figured to put up big TV numbers in a world still largely on lockdown, and didn’t disappoint. The Real Heroes 400, run without spectators, averaged a 3.71 household rating and 6.3 million viewers on FOX Sunday, which made it the highest rated and most-watched Cup Series race outside of the Daytona 500 since Atlanta in 2017 (3.8/6.6m). It also represented a 38% increase over the last race at Phoenix on March 8, before the lockdown began.
    Sunday’s race easily topped the rest of the weekend’s sports events, including Sunday’s live charity golf event on NBC, which ranked second with a 1.47/2.32m.

47. N64 says:

“Just under a third of businesses are now fully open, up from 21 per cent a month ago. Alberta, Manitoba and New Brunswick now have the greatest number of small firms fully open”

AB 47% MB 44% NB 44%
    PEI 40% SK 39% PQ 38% BC 33%
    NS 27% ON 26% NL 22%

The BC Phase 2 openings that started Tuesday will obviously bring BC up in the next survey. Western provinces have not been hit as hard which has helped.

48. Hitman77 says:

Below is McKeen’s final draft rankings. Looks like we might be able to squeeze out a useful forward if a few d-men get drafted ahead of us.

1.)Alexis Lafreniere, LW
    24.)Ridly Greig, C
    25.)Rodion Amirov, LW
    26.)Dylan Holloway, C
    27.)Jan Mysak, C

49. PennersPancakes says:

Hitman77,

Would be interesting to see a table with Future Considerations, McKeen, Central Scouting and Elite Prospects grouped together.

McKeen definitely has a bit more variety to his list, seems like theres enough talent 5-20 could almost go in any order.

Harpers Hair: You know who was also 6’2″ 210 and could skate like the wind?

Steve Kelly.

Broberg dominated against his peers at the Hlinka and the U18’s, and on a team stacked with 1st rounders and high draft picks for D, where he was the youngest D on the team, he was chosen to play on the shutdown pair at the World Juniors.

I don’t think Steve Kelly can check any of those boxes.

51. Hitman77 says:

PennersPancakes:
    Hitman77,

I’ve been into McKeens every year since at least Kovalchuk’s draft. It’s always a good read.

defmn:
    It sounds promising to my epidemiologically illiterate brain.

Phase 1. It didn’t kill anybody But nobody whose was tested for basic safety was in the critical over 60 age group or with comorbidities.

I think this is the vaccine that the Dalhousie group is going to run accelerated phase 1 and 2 on in Canada.

The vaccine is still a long ways away from facing the wild virus in an obese 75-year old with diabetes.

53. dustrock says:

Hitman77,

Sanderson over Drysdale? Wow.

54. Hitman77 says:

dustrock:
    Hitman77,

Sanderson over Drysdale?Wow.

I was stumped by their pick as well. But I can definitely see Stutzle ahead of Byfield.

If there are no fallers, I think we’ll be looking at guys like Bourque, Mysak, and Foerster.

It would be nice if Holland can pick up at least one second rounder.

55. OriginalPouzar says:

Listening to Friedman on Oilers Now from earlier today and Bob asked if it was possible to have both hub cities in the west and Friedman did end up saying that, if possible, he believes the league would like at least one of the hubs being in Canada and cited cost (vis-a-vis the dollar) as one of the reasons. Just further to the conversation from earlier in the week on the cost subject.

With respect to both hubs being in the west, I personally don’t see this as an issue – I mean, there aren’t going to be fans in the stands so the time of games in the playing destination doesn’t matter. A eastern-conference game can start at 3pm in Vancouver which is 6pm out east. “Early start” doesn’t really matter, right?

56. PennersPancakes says:

HITMAN77,

I will have to go back and review their previous lists. Just noticed Broberg was rated at 9 last year, 1st defenseman behind Byram.

Interesting

57. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar:

If there are 2 sites then colour me surprised if either of them is in Canada. Aside from cost a more likely reason to have 1 site on each side of the border if US and Canadian rightsholders BOTH play hardball negotiating their true outs with Gary.

By the way, besides the continuous interconnected arenas/hotel complex:

Edmonton Health Zone: 42 active cases (29 per Million)
    Vancouver Coastal Health District: 180 active cases (159 per Million)
    Clark County (Vegas): 1358 active cases (599 per Million)

58. OriginalPouzar says:

Bob McKenzie
    @TSNBobMcKenzie
    6m
    While last night’s NHLPA executive committee conference call got a little heated at times, and various individual players still have a wide variety of views on the NHL’s RTP format, the exec committee vote by team is expected to result in NHLPA approval of the NHL plan.
    Bob McKenzie
    @TSNBobMcKenzie
    4m
    If that is indeed the case, and I believe team by team balloting has concluded or will conclude shortly, it should pave the way for the NHL and NHLPA to perhaps formally announce the RTP format in the coming days.
    Bob McKenzie
    @TSNBobMcKenzie
    3m
    We are not, however, expecting that format announcement to come with any timetable or critical date roll-out, not yet anyway.

59. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Bob McKenzie
    @TSNBobMcKenzie
    6m
    Bob McKenzie
    @TSNBobMcKenzie
    4m
    Bob McKenzie
    @TSNBobMcKenzie
    3m

Yeah. I agree it’s just agreeing on a format and then the serious negotiations start with
    NHL, PA and rightsholders.

60. Harpers Hair says:

godot10: Broberg dominated against his peers at the Hlinka and the U18’s,and on a team stacked with 1st rounders and high draft picks for D, where he was the youngest D on the team, he was chosen to play on the shutdown pair at the World Juniors.

I don’t think Steve Kelly can check any of those boxes.

6’3” 215.

Great skater

Shy offense.

Cam Barker.

61. Hitman77 says:

PennersPancakes:
    HITMAN77,

Interesting

Praying that Broberg pans out for us. It would be terrible drafting another first round bust. I was hoping for Alex Newhook.

62. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Sounds like a guy who played on the 2005 WJHC team for Canada with Shea Weber, Dion Phaneuf and Brent Seabrook.

6’3” 215.

Great skater

Shy offense.

Cam Barker.

You seem not to have been following the Oilers circa 2011. Cam Barker was NOT a great skater.

The exercise you’re playing could as easily be pulling out Karlsson, Ovechkin, Staal, Hedman, OEL.

63. oilersfan says:

I have a question that im surprised isn’t being asked
    More…

I understand why public health officials aren’t allowing fans in games the way it was for awhile. However what I don’t get is why can’t they fill the arena 10-20%? Rogers could have 2000-3000 people social distanced, maybe some families sitting together. Give them some cow bells and horns and try to create some atmosphere…

Won’t there be more than that at west Edmonton mall this weekend? What’s the difference?

Seat people very third or fourth seat and only use every fourth row… people could come in groups of 2-4 . I don’t get why this can’t help at all. Would welcome feedback

64. N64 says:

oilersfan:
    I have a question that im surprised isn’t being asked
    More…

I think the PA and NHL and rightsholder want certainty that they’s get through with no outbreaks. Thus the neutral sites and the bubbles.

Best ticket in the house? If bubble includes hotel staff, free tickets off shift.

65. bsmart says:

godot10,

I think mostly everyone in the hockey media agrees that Bob McKenzie rankings of first round prospects are beyond solid given that he speaks to NHL scouts directly to make his rankings. Before the 2018/2019 season started check out Bob’s preseason NHL draft rankings here:

# 7 and #8 were highly regarded by multiple NHL teams

oilersfan:
    I have a question that im surprised isn’t being asked
    More…

How do you get them in and out of the arena?

I could see it happening next season, but not for the playoffs this year. Too risky to let people inside the bubble.

67. JimmyV1965 says:

6’3” 215.

Great skater

Shy offense.

Cam Barker.

Agreed. I would be hesitant taking Byfield 3OV this year as well. Afterall, the Bolts took Alexandr Svitov 3OV in 2001 and look what that got them.

68. N64 says:

godot10: How do you get them in and out of the arena?

If Edmonton gets the nod (longshot still) the attraction will be securing the arena complex/hotel as one closed off zone.

Given the deals they need to fulfill for the rightsholders they’ll be extra risk intolerant for these playoffs not wanting any interruptions.

69. JimmyV1965 says:

Hitman77: Praying that Broberg pans out for us.It would be terrible drafting another first round bust.I was hoping for Alex Newhook.

70. N64 says:

oilersfan:
    OILERSFANsays:
    May 22, 2020 at 4:00 pm
    I have a question that im surprised isn’t being asked

John Shannon asked and got back 2000-2500 fans if and when they do this. But not being considered for the return to play.

71. Todd Macallan says:

My word Glenn Anderson with the Marioesque end to end goal. Gm 5 1990 cup final being replayed on SN right now. I remembered Ranford standing on his head but forgot that amazing goal somehow.

72. PennersPancakes says:

6’3” 215.

Great skater

Shy offense.

Cam Barker.

“Defensively, Barker is a tough player for the opposition to beat because of his size, strength, and his excellent positioning. He is a good skater but should not be considered a puck-rushing defenseman.

“I’d like to improve on my skating because that’s something you need at the next level, and I’d like to improve on my defensive zone play,” Barker said recently after an overtime loss to the Lethbridge Hurricanes. “I’ve improved a lot since last year, but there’s always room to improve.”

Scouts said hes a good skater NOT great and even Barker agreed that its something he wanted to work on. When you have good accurate points its fun, when you get lazy its very clear and adds nothing to the conversation.

73. PennersPancakes says:

Harpers Hair,

The two comparables you used for Broberg are very entertaining. A winger drafted out of the CHL 25 years ago and a defenseman drafted out of the CHL 16 years ago.

Must get a lot of practice cherry picking out there in B.C.

74. jtblack says:

oilersfan:
    I have a question that im surprised isn’t being asked
    More…

The Gov doesn’t usually doesn’t have sound policy or equal policy across the board.

2,000 CAN’T go into Rogers place with Screening and safe practices but it’s BACK TO WORK for packing plant workers ….

ok then. Rant over.

75. jtblack says:

JimmyV1965: I wasn’t a fan of the Broberg pick either, but I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t play a meaningful role in the NHL. His size, speed and skill are tailor made for today’s game. IMO he was a safe pick at 8OV. His ceiling may not be through the roof, but his floor is pretty high.

well said. Safe pick. That’s ok. Not sexy but ok. If Broberg is Darnell Nurse 2.0, Edm can live with that …

76. N64 says:

jtblack: +1. Remember 2 weeks ago the AB Gov said you can’t play tennis with your friend or spouse; you can’t get a hair cut; YET you can go to Home Depot and brush by 1,000 strangers in 1 hour.

ok then. Rant over.

Oh and that closing tennis courts even to household members was a crazy municipal thing. Another example was BC Parks closing all day use without even talking to the Health Officer and pinning it on her.

77. jtblack says:

N64: Um. That’s NHL and PA that does not want to risk ANY interruption of return to play. If they wanted fans in the stands 6 feet apart for the playoffs they could probably find a place to accommodate that.

I think the NHL and the PA are making a plan that the local governments will pass. If the Premier of AB said that as long as fans wore masks then the NHL could put 15,000 in the seats; they would become the hub city for all 24 teams 🙂

78. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn:

From all accounts, while they will agree to it via the vote (to get back to playing), the players, in aggregate, hate the 24 team format.

79. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965:

I like the idea that, if a lower seed team beats the higher seed team in the “play-in”, they swap draft positions. If the Hawks take out the Oilers, Oilers move up to the Hawks prior position.

80. N64 says:

jtblack: I think the NHL and the PA are making a plan that the local governments will pass.If the Premier of AB said that as long as fans wore masks then the NHL could put 15,000 in the seats; they would become the hub city for all 24 teams 🙂

No city is going to offer that up right now. I think they could find more than one that would allow the idea that John Shannon looked into. They just aren’t interested in the hassle of a small crowd. They really want a flawless re-entry to deliver to the rightsholders. Regular season as Godot points out the motivation could be different.

81. jtblack says:

N64: No city is going to offer that up right now. I think they could find more than one that would allow the idea that John Shannon looked into. They just aren’t interested in the hassle of a small house. They want a flawless re-entry. Regular season as Godot points out the motivation could be different.

that’s very true

82. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack:
    Harpers Hair,

I was thinking about this …. . do we think viewership will be higher?

1)the playoffs will be happening in the middle of summer ….
    2)other sports will be back as well (golf, nba, nfl (September)

83. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar: To the extent it means the contract doesn’t roll in to next season, they it doesn’t really matter what the actual viewership ends up being.

Bingo. Right now it’s all about trueing up with the rightsholders. Every thing that risks that in the slightest manner is a distraction.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: You know who was also 6’2″ 210 and could skate like the wind?

Steve Kelly.

You know who else? Jay Bouwmester, Scott Niedermayer, etc.

You can find a “bust” for every style, type, size of player.

85. OriginalPouzar says:

PennersPancakes:
    Hitman77,

I think David Staples did a pretty thorough list aggregate at Cult.

86. Rickety Cricket says:

Harpers Hair,

Who is the better prospect: Brogan Rafferty or Philip Broberg??

87. pts2pndr says:

Ben:
    OriginalPouzar,

Given Holland’s success drafting Swedish players over the years it would stand to reason he has a number of people in Sweden that he knows and trusts. Catching big fish in a lake you know is far easier than in a lake you don’t. It is somewhat like insider trading but legal.

88. pts2pndr says:

jtblack:
    Harpers Hair,

I was thinking about this …. . do we think viewership will be higher?

1)the playoffs will be happening in the middle of summer ….
    2)other sports will be back as well (golf, nba, nfl (September)

If they play afternoon games in the East I will PVR and give them a quick look in the evening. During the day I will be enjoying summer doing summer things. Golf, paddle boarding, hiking, and numerous other things. In fairness I would classify myself as an Oiler fan first and hockey fan second. The media will bombard me with hi lights infenitem. An active lifestyle with family and friends takes precedence over everything else for me.

89. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: You know who else?Jay Bouwmester, Scott Niedermayer, etc.

You can find a “bust” for every style, type, size of player.

Exactly my point.

90. N64 says:

Harpers Hair: Exactly my point.

That is entirely your point at all times with your “judgement” always based on who signed them. You call them as you “see” them, Mr. Magoo.

91. Harpers Hair says:

Rickety Cricket:
    Harpers Hair,

Who is the better prospect: Brogan Rafferty or Philip Broberg??

Won’t know that until Broberg completes a season in the AHL…likely two years from now at best.

92. Harpers Hair says:

N64: That is entirely his point at all times with his “judgement” always based on who signed them.

He calls them as he “sees” them.

Nah.
    In the 2015 draft the Canucks picked 6’2 200 lb D Olli Juolevi 5th overall.

He was considered to be a very good skater and yet here we are 5 years later.

Lots can go wrong on the way to Grandma’s house.

93. Georges says:

“If the goal is two NHL players per year…”

Interesting.

Is an NHL player someone who plays in the NHL? There’s probably more to it, right…?

Two seems kind of high.

Aren’t there more and more undrafted players these days?

94. N64 says:

Harpers Hair: Nah.
    In the 2015 draft the Canucks picked 6’2 200 lb D Olli Juolevi 5th overall.

He was considered to be a very good skater and yet here we are 5 years later.

Lots can go wrong on the way to Grandma’s house.

True. Sometimes the trip through the woods ends up with a trip to the woodshed.

95. Harpers Hair says:

Report that the Penguins players have voted a hard NO to the 24 team format.

Apparently very upset they would have to play the Canadiens and Carey Price.

96. Harpers Hair says:

Just listened to a radio hit with Ray Ferraro.

He wonders if the Black Aces will get a vote on the return to play.

Also wonders if many of them will decline to play since they have zero financial benefits from playing and would have to quarantine for possibly weeks.

97. Harpers Hair says:

Also out of Pittsburgh, the return to play plan has squeezed by a vote of team NHLPA reps.

98. N64 says:

Harpers Hair: Black Aces

If they expand rosters for spares, some pay no? Might not want to gift the option to AHL team mates.

99. N64 says:

Harpers Hair:

100. Harpers Hair says:

N64: Format of playoff matchups they did not need a strong consensus. Next step they will need it.

What do you see as the next step?

101. Harpers Hair says:

More:

David Pagnotta (@TheFourthPeriod) Tweeted:
    Hearing the 24-team return-to-play format will be approved by NHLPA, but there’s A LOT more work to be done. To put in perspective, if the rest of planning goes well, I’m told camps won’t start until early-July & could run 3 weeks, which would lead to starting play at end of July

102. OriginalPouzar says:

Rickety Cricket:
    Harpers Hair,

Who is the better prospect: Brogan Rafferty or Philip Broberg??

The poster has expressed that he wouldn’t trade Rafferty straight up for any of Bouchard, Bear or Klefbom, so……

103. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair:
    Just listened to a radio hit with Ray Ferraro.

He wonders if the Black Aces will get a vote on the return to play.

I don’t think Evan Bouchard, Tyler Benson, Phil Broberg, etc. will decline to join the team – I would presume they are all extremely excited to do just that.

104. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t think Evan Bouchard, Tyler Benson, Phil Broberg, etc. will decline to join the team – I would presumethey are all extremely excited to do just that.

Why would Broberg show up?

He can’t play, would have to quarantine for two weeks and then leave for the SHL training camp shortly thereafter.

105. N64 says:

Harpers Hair: What do you see as the next step?

They just jumped on the hand grenade. Fairness and integrity of the season results was going to be the divisive issue.

No idea how the NHL and PA are locking down the parameters for final bid submissions from sites, but I’d guess they are at a least a week away from a formal vote with ALL the final details on the table.

Harpers Hair: Nah.
    In the 2015 draft the Canucks picked 6’2 200 lb D Olli Juolevi 5th overall.

He was considered to be a very good skater and yet here we are 5 years later.

Lots can go wrong on the way to Grandma’s house.

I don’t think Broberg is addicted to Fortnite

Harpers Hair:
    Just listened to a radio hit with Ray Ferraro.

He wonders if the Black Aces will get a vote on the return to play.

108. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Brogerg may end up good

– He was a reach where he was selected

– HIs “math” isn’t that good at this stage, one year after being drafted

– He has a lot of “potential” and more tools, and younger: those the reason for the bet and reason why they “reached” for him

– These things aren’t mutually exclusive

109. Harpers Hair says:

godot10: As a black ace, one gets a big jump on everybody else you are competing for a job with in the NHL.

I don’t think sitting around in hotel for weeks on end is much of a jump.

Perhaps there is some benefit from being exposed to the NHL experience but most of these players already have that exposure.

110. oilersfan says:

N64,

How would a player get the virus from a fan in the stands 20 meters or more away?

111. healthyscratch says:

My take on the expanded playoff format. They should let the teams outside of the top 4 in each conference choose their first round opponent from the 9th-12th ranked teams, with the team in 5th place getting 1st choice, 6th place getting 2nd choice, and so on.

112. N64 says:

oilersfan:
    N64,

Just sayin the NHlLis going to have a lots of moving parts to track to manage their buuble and they apparently do not want to add fans and whoever supports fans to the mix. Suspect they’ll be intererested in that once the playoffs are in the rear view mirror.

113. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair:
    Report that the Penguins players have voted a hard NO to the 24 team format.

Apparently very upset they would have to play the Canadiens and Carey Price.

Sportsnet
    @Sportsnet
    2m
    The Penguins voted in favour of the NHL’s proposed return-to-play format, according to NHLPA representative Kris Letang.

114. Georges says:

Playoff format works better if the teams currently in the bottom 4 playoffs spots in each conference get a game in hand. They win 2 games, they’re in. The lower seeded teams have to win 3 to get in.

Without a pandemic, the lower seeded teams would have had to catch up to the teams they were chasing. They would have had to finish strong. The game in hand can be interpreted as the cost of catching up.

If you’re a lower seed and you beat your matchup 3-0 or 3-1 (i.e., beat them decisively), you move on.

If you’re the higher seed, you move on with 2-0, 2-1, or 2-2. Fewer games to deal before the “real” playoffs is another benefit.

115. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Why would Broberg show up?

But young prospects are going to jump at the chance to be on an NHL roster. Why do these guys come for development camp for instance? Now they’re (probably) going to have a chance to join the actual NHL team during (probably) a playoff run, share the ice during practice and maybe even get in NHL games. The vast majority of younger guys are going to be beside themselves at the opportunity.

And what do you mean Broberg can’t play?

116. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Why would Broberg show up?

He won’t play but he could play – he’s signed.

There has been talk of him being with the team.

Why would he want to? Because his goal is to be in the NHL and the experience and the effect of practice with the team and seeing how an NHL team runs, etc. all beneficial to his development.

The plan was to bring him over for training camp (and he expressed a desire to do that) this September before going back to Skelfeeta.

Maybe he doesn’t want to come (he did/does want to come for camp and then head back to Skelfeeta) but you can’t profess to know what is in any specific individuals head without them saying.

117. Harpers Hair says:

jp: I was going to agree with you that some vets might not see it worthwhile (though an NHL salary even for a few weeks isn’t far off many minor league salaries…).

And what do you mean Broberg can’t play?

There are NO salaries. ZERO.

The NHL final payment for the players has already passed and the players are deciding whether or not to accept the payment now or use it to reduce escrow.

I guess if a player thought he might make an appearance in an NHL game he might think it would be worth the two weeks of quarantine upon arrival but many will likely decide it is more beneficial (especially European players) to continue to skate in their home countries and prepare for the upcoming season.

118. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: He won’t play but he could play – he’s signed.

There has been talk of him being with the team.

Why would he want to?Because his goal is to be in the NHL and the experience and the effect of practice with the team and seeing how an NHL team runs, etc. all beneficial to his development.

The SHL season starts in September.

It is preceded by training camp in August.

119. Harpers Hair says:

Chris Johnston
    @reporterchris
    32m
    The NHLPA’s Executive Board has voted to authorize further negotiations with the NHL on a 24-team return-to-play format. First step in a process that will require many other details to be sorted out.
    Chris Johnston
    @reporterchris
    13m
    Even with this affirmative vote, there are still some details with the 24-team playoff format still to be worked out between the NHL and NHLPA. One of them is whether they’ll go ahead with a playoff bracket or use reseeding.

120. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: There are NO salaries. ZERO.

Players decided not to take their final paycheque.

121. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: Players decided not to take their final paycheque.

When?

I’ve only seen they’ve decided twice to defer the decision.

122. OriginalPouzar says:

Jason Gregor
    @JasonGregor
    7h
    The NHLPA has voted not to receive their final paycheque. Also, while not unanimous (some top teams not loving format), source tells me NHLPA will approve the 24-team playoff. #NHL

123. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Jason Gregor
    @JasonGregor
    7h

Thanks.

124. jp says:

Harpers Hair: There are NO salaries. ZERO.

125. Harpers Hair says:

jp: A player like Granlund with one or both feet out the door, you may be right. Most prospects will want to get any NHL exposure they can. I expect your man Brogan would jump at the opportunity, if given the chance.

Rafferty is one injury away from an NHL job.

Someone like Bouchard might also be in that position.

Broberg isn’t.

126. Harpers Hair says:

Korean Street Toast for Saturday brunch anyone?

Let me know.

127. N64 says:

Harpers Hair: There are NO salaries. ZERO.

128. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Rafferty is one injury away from an NHL job.

Someone like Bouchard might also be in that position.

Broberg isn’t.

10 Canucks D have spent time in Vancouver ahead of Rafferty this season, he’s more than one injury away from an NHL job it seems.

At 11th on the depth chart Broberg might actually be in a similar position.

129. Harpers Hair says:

jp: By my count Bouchard is 10th on the depth chart. So at least 3 injuries away from seeing a game.

10 Canucks D have spent time in Vancouver ahead of Rafferty this season, he’s more than one injury away from an NHL it seems.

At 11th on the depth chart Broberg might actually be in a similar position.

Rafferty is #4 on the RHD depth chart.

Tanev

Myers

Stecher

Rafferty

130. Harpers Hair says:

N64: Playoffs include participation money aside from salary, no? They’re talking about extending rosters to have replacements. They don’t have to do full shares, but you’d expect something, right?

131. N64 says:

Hah. You’re always entitled to be wrong, which is most fortunate. 😉

If they go past the 23 due to the bubbles more players to share with. Again does not need to a full share but zero share is unlikely.

NHL: $163,000 (estimated)
    The NHL has a $15 million player compensation pool for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, as laid out in its CBA. There’s annual flexibility in how teams share their take, and the NHL hasn’t released updated figures on what each team gets. The share for the Cup winner was $3.75 million in 2013. If the championship team decided to split that among every player on a 23-man roster and nobody else, it’d be $163,043 per player.

That would work out to a little less than $7,000 per game per guy, if a team played four six-game series en route to a Cup win. It usually takes a little longer for a hockey team to get through its conference than, say, an elite basketball team.

132. €√¥£€^$ says:

Regarding fans in arenas, stadiums,etc.

I was thinking about this yesterday, a more 2020 version of the cardboard cutout of fans/blow-up dolls in seats.

I am sure one of the more tech-savvy readers can help me out here….

One side of the arena is alotted 5,000 seats to each team for every game. Fans pay $20.00 per seat to have a link to an Alexa or similar device and one of those thin boards they use for ads at the edge of soccer games. The “board” would be about the size of an average man sitting down and would be secured to the audio device. The board can be used to upload an X number of pre-approved photos or videos of the person/family and the Alexa enables the person/family to cheer on their team(s).

I was thinking just lower bowl seats, so it might be 1 end + 1 side. Or a mixture. I am sure something can be easily figured out.

If there are real people in stands, like hotel staff/teams families, maybe they view from the luxury boxes (with permission of the box owners or something like that).

Does these sound technologically viable? Thoughts??.

Iokay, I looked into it a bit. Might be a bit too ambition at the moment.

n fact, these boards could theoretically be tailored to specific viewing audiences, so they could potentially sell the same seat twice to each fanbase and tailor the “experience” to a specific broadcaster.

As far as the “Alexa” idea, maybe it is just alotted as 50/50 to each team.

You like/hate? Would you pay for a “seat”? You could buy one for someone else as a surprise gift even….

133. Harpers Hair says:

N64:
    Hah. You’re always entitled to be wrong, which is most fortunate. 😉

NHL: $163,000 (estimated)

Peanuts for a Black Ace on a 30 man losing team.

134. defmn says:

Harpers Hair:

Korean Street Toast for Saturday brunch anyone?

Let me know.

I’m a dim sum kind of guy myself.

135. Harpers Hair says:

defmn: I’m a dim sum kind of guy myself.

As am I but I’ve adapted the Seoul recipe with a Canadian flair.

136. N64 says:

Harpers Hair: Peanuts for a Black Ace on a 30 man losing team.

Hah. So normal AHL pay then McGoo

137. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: As am I but I’ve adapted the Seoul recipe with a Canadian flair.

Do tell.

138. Harpers Hair says:

N64: Hah. So normal AHL pay then McGoo

$40 bucks doesn’t go far.

139. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Rafferty is #4 on the RHD depth chart.

Tanev

Myers

Stecher

Rafferty

140. €√¥£€^$ says:

€√¥£€^$:
    Regarding fans in arenas, stadiums,etc.

I am sure one of the more tech-savvy readers can help me out here….

One side of the arena is alotted 5,000 seats to each team for every game.Fans pay $20.00 per seat to have a link to an Alexa or similar device and one of those thin boards they use for ads at the edge of soccer games.The “board” would be about the size of an average man sitting down and would be secured to the audio device.The board can be used to upload an X number of pre-approved photos or videos of the person/family and the Alexa enables the person/family to cheer on their team(s).

I was thinking just lower bowl seats, so it might be 1 end + 1 side.Or a mixture.I am sure something can be easily figured out.

Does these sound technologically viable?Thoughts??.

Or maybe just 10,000 cardboard likenesses of Brodiggity Raftnuts

141. duct tape and foil says:

A summary of Barker is lazy, bad skater, made of glass.

Which of those sounds like Broberg………..that would be none.

Small ball trolling with that comparison.

142. JimmyV1965 says:

Harpers Hair: But young prospects are going to jump at the chance to be on an NHL roster. Why do these guys come for development

The sabres lost so many dmen one playoff year they had to call up an AHL player whose season already ended. Never say never.

143. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: Guess we’ll have to take your word for it. RD Chatfield was called up but didn’t play, Rafferty was not. And 6LD played NHL games for the Canucks, Rafferty, not so much.

We were told this was in the name of Utica’s success………

We were also told why Berglund was refusing to sign with the Oilers……..

144. rickithebear says:

Basketball shot is diffrent than hockey.
    Their are 2 sets of point locations.
    Higher reward for avoiding penetration in NBA.

The path of Basketball shot can be changed for only Half the shot.
    No one at the net making it a 0% chance shot.

Hockey has a high% exclusion of 0% density shots Incorrectly calculated in current shot maps!