Ryan Kuffner

In the summer of 1969, Rejean Houle was chosen No. 1 overall in the NHL draft by the Montreal Canadiens. He led the OHA in points, scored 53 goals and appeared destined for a storied NHL career as an impact offensive winger.

In 1971 spring, Houle began taking more of the load away from linemate John Ferguson on the Habs’ checking line. That spring cemented Houle’s reputation as a checker, partly because he was very good at it and partly because he was unable to dominate the NHL offensively. He was an effective two-way winger, scored 30 goals once, but his one regret came from not bringing all of his junior offense with him to the show. Welcome to the club, Mr. Houle.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, check it out here.

Ryan Kuffner

I haven’t written on Kuffner because his story, like that of Gaetan Haas, has some things that are difficult to explain. Let’s start with the Red Wings glowing release on him back on his signing day (March 12, 2019).

Kuffner, 22, has spent the last four seasons at Princeton University, where he totaled 75 goals in 132 games to become the university’s all-time leading goal scorer. During his senior campaign in 2018-19, Kuffner’s 22 goals led the ECAC and was fourth in the nation. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound forward also led the nation this season in points-per-game (1.419). During his junior year, Kuffner paced Princeton with 29 goals and was second on the team in scoring with 52 points en route to being named a Second-Team All-American and helping the Tigers to an ECAC Tournament Championship and an automatic berth into the NCAA Men’s Ice Hockey Tournament. In all, Kuffner recorded 152 points (75-77-152) in 132 games with Princeton. He was also a member of the ECAC All-Academic Team in each of his first three seasons (2015-18), with awards for this season to be announced in the coming weeks.

By year, Kuffner’s NHLE’s in college were 14.8, 24.3, 33.2, 32.6. He had 75 goals on 485 shots in 132 games. That’s a 15.5 shooting percentage and 3.67 shots per game. One never knows but, turning pro at age 22 (when he signed), with that kind of resume, expectations of pro success were real.

His pro career has seen Kuffner in chase mode. His NHL shots per game (eight shots in 10 games) and points per game (no points in 10 games) suggest he is not getting to the play. In 100 five on five minutes, DRW were 0-3 goals, 33-69 shots. His on-ice save percentage was .957, otherwise the goal share would have been a blood bath.

Kuffner’s AHL numbers are interesting. In 32 games with Grand Rapids, he scored 6-3-9 on 44 shots. He posted 1-1-2 on the power play, 5-2-7 at even strength. His shooting percentage was 13.6 and he averaged 1.38 shots per game.

His four Bakersfield games are even more interesting, partly because Eric Rodgers rocks and supplies us with great information. Two assists, one on the power play and one at evens, seven shots, 2-1 goal differential at even strength. Rodgers estimated Kuffner 13:53 a night, just shy of 13 at even strength. So, Kuffner posted one even strength point in just shy of 52 minutes (1.16 points per 60).

What about Ryan?

I have Kuffner behind Nuge, Athanasiou, Neal, Nygard, Benson, Gambardella on the depth chart, close to Ostap Safin and ahead of Nolan Vesey. Is he worth signing? He’s a shooter with two-way acumen and the Oilers need those player-types. His pro career so far is not strong.

Grant McCagg’s Recrutes 2020 NHL Draft Guide is out, featuring a mock from Simon Boisvert and contributions from Brock Otten. There’s so much talent there, I could see Holland trading down in the first round to grab a pick inside the top 100 overall.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun show this morning, we get started at 10, TSN1260. Jonathan Willis from The Athletic will help me compile the ideal Oilers roster for the opening night of the playoffs and talk draft seeding. Ryan Rishaug from TSN joins us at 11 to talk about the NHL’s timeline for return. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

103 Responses to "Ryan Kuffner"

1. frjohnk says:

Kuffner only played 36 games this year. Was he injured?

2. OriginalPouzar says:

When the trade was made, I had never heard of Kuffner and thought he was just a throw-in to make contract numbers work. Low and behold he was, not long ago, a “real prospect” coming off a very nice college career.

A very tough first year pro this year (not counting his 10 games after finishing college) but he did have a tiny bounce back as a Condor with 2 points in 4 games on a team decimated by call-ups and injuries.

There is still a chance for this player but his time has to be now, he’ll be 24 when next season starts and, if he’s going to have a shot, he’ll need to re-find his game and his confidence and have a very nice AHL season.

Hopefully there is a place for him to play….. a league for him to play in….

Go Kuff!

3. OriginalPouzar says:

I imagine Holland had Kuffner added to the trade with the intent to sign him and i would think that is some clean up business that gets done. I wonder if Kenny will try to get him signed to one of those AHL deals.

His signing becomes a bit more important if Currie does leave as a UFA.

4. Hitman77 says:

I wonder if Holland trades down only if he can’t move Jesse. And what is Jesse worth at this point? A low second/high third?

5. dustrock says:

I think a lot of it comes down to processing speed, athletes always talk about how much faster the game is every time you move up.

I think there’s plenty of prospects who have all of the physical attributes and know the game well and work their butts off but can’t process at pro speed.

Possible you could call it “hockey IQ”, although that’s more to me about understanding the game.

This is more “I know what to do, but I can’t do it in time”.

6. JJS says:

dustrock,

There is also a dramatic leap in intensity from College to pro hockey on so many levels

College sounds like the perfect place for athletes – lots of practice, few games, limited travel etc

Pro hockey is an absolute grind

Granted, College athletes are more mature but I suspect the transition is considerably harder than we know. Some will never adjust.

7. dustrock says:

JJS,

Agreed. The grind is real, and you’re playing against the very most elite athletes.

8. MachDavid says:

Hi Lowtide. I just joined your site after years of reading and listening to your show.. I now live in Nanaimo and yesterday was a very low tide morning which made me wonder where you got the name Lowtide.
    Also, regarding your article today, i’m one of the people who “in Holland we trust”
    thanks for your great work

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Sounds like the league will officially announce the 24-team format this afternoon (4:30 – presumably eastern time).

Of course, this is just the format of the games/series and the swath of logistics still need to be further discussed, negotiated, finalized and voted on.

One step at a time.

10. N64 says:

Pierre LeBrun
    @PierreVLeBrun
    18m
    From the NHL: “National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman will make an announcement today at 4:30 p.m. ET regarding the Return to Play Plan for the 2019-20 NHL season.”
    So this is to announce the 24-team format agreement the NHL/NHLPA have signed off on.

11. OriginalPouzar says:

My presumption is that, in addition to officially announcing the format IF THEY CAN RETURN TO PLAY, Bettman will also provide an official announcement on the lottery, or the first stage thereof.

12. €√¥£€^$ says:

I noticed a couple of months ago, via Facebook, that my next door neighbor went to Princeton and is also an Engineer. So I thought of Taylor Fedun, who I recalled had attended Princeton and had taken Engineering. I figured they were close in age, so I meant to ask him if they knew each other. After weeks of thinking about it and then forgetting, I finally decided to consult HockeyDB last week and sure enough my neighbour played hockey for 4 years at Princeton. Not much of a scorer, but he wore a letter in his 3rd year and was the Captain in his senior year….. just though that was interesting.

Kuffner was targetted by several NHL teams after his college career ended. I remember him being one of the top 10 NCAA Free Agents in 2019. When the AA trade went down, I was pretty excited for the Kuffner acquisition and mentioned it a couple of times on this blog. After digging around about him, he was visibly a quicker player at the DRW’s development camp, has an above average shot, has decent playmaking ability, is defensively responsible and is very effective along the boards. I suspect if he isn’t a markedly improved player next season (or whenever the hell the AHL resumes play) then we won’t ever see him in the NHL.

I do think it was an astute move by a very wise GM, who knows the potential of this player very well and saw a great opportunity to boost the LW depth for this franchise. If Benson gets an NHL opportunity, Kuffner will have no one blocking him, as I believe he would be given a push over anyone else on the current Condors roster.

13. €√¥£€^$ says:

I am sure every franchise has a valid grievance with the league, perhaps none more valid that the Sabres and Brett Hull’s skate in the crease non-call.

I am just wondering what the top 10 screw-jobs are that have been handed to the Oilers by the league, I am sure that #/NHL Regular season games might be the highest in the league.

Off the top of my head, including the current play-in scenario the airing of grievances would include:

1. 2 draft picks given up for the privilege of hiring 2 fired employees of other clubs, T-Mac and Chia.
    2. The Oilers (or Gretzky) Rule 4 on 4
    3. 2017-18 Kessler/Perry – “But what will I tell Corey?”
    4. Bengt Gustaffson
    5. Dave Langevin
    6. The lost Video challenges
    7. The Oilers Rule – Draft Lottery changes
    8. No respect for McDavid
    9. Insert grievance here
    10. Ditto

Here’s to better days ahead!

14. Ribs says:

€√¥£€^$: Interesting work by Micahel Parkatti regarding the screw job by the NHL regarding the Oilers and Pens and how to make their match-ups fair:

15. N64 says:

€√¥£€^$,

I liked the other idea that floated around. 6 team round robins with starting number points awarded to best approximate playoff odds at suspension . All teams equally warmed up.

16. flea says:

Ribs: I like the idea, but I can’t imagine teams would want to be shipping out hundreds of people with strict regulations for potentially one hockey game.

I liked the idea of a round robin. Someone like Chicago would have to go 5 for 5, and need all the top seeded teams to lose a bunch of their games to have a shot. It was more representative of what would occur if a team like Chicago somehow made the playoffs this year.

Either way, lots of gnashing of teeth over the Oilers having to play the Blackhawks. They should get a lower “seed” in round 1 if they can ge tthrough, and I think they can take out the blackhawks pretty easily.

17. N64 says:

Conditional pick alert. They have to decide if the prelim matches apply. Suspect not with 7 teams not playing.

Pierre LeBrun
    @PierreVLeBrun
    25m
    So I’m told the NHL still hasn’t decided yet what to do with these stats from the round-robin/play-in round. It’s not really regular season, and it’s not really playoffs. So it will be interesting what they decide to do with that

MachDavid:
    Hi Lowtide.I just joined your site after years of reading and listening to your show..I now live in Nanaimo and yesterday was a very low tide morning which made me wonder where you got the name Lowtide.
    thanks for your great work

It’s paying homage to Kevin Lowe while also stealing Ron Low’s nickname (Lowetide). I had originally planned to call it “HORCOFF AND DIE!’ but Mrs. Lowetide said it was rude. 🙂

Hitman77:
    I wonder if Holland trades down only if he can’t move Jesse.And what is Jesse worth at this point?A low second/high third?

A lot of people suggest there is a top 25 and then a gap. So it is poor strategy to trade down.

The OIlers have Puljujarvi and Benning and maybe Lagesson to trade for picks.

€√¥£€^$:

1.2 draft picks given up for the privilege of hiring 2 fired employees of other clubs, T-Mac and Chia.
    2.The Oilers (or Gretzky) Rule 4 on 4
    3.2017-18 Kessler/Perry – “But what will I tell Corey?”
    4.Bengt Gustaffson
    5.Dave Langevin
    6.The lost Video challenges
    7.The Oilers Rule – Draft Lottery changes
    8.No respect for McDavid
    9.Insert grievance here
    10. Ditto

Here’s to better days ahead!

The Ruotsalainen Rule.

€√¥£€^$:

I prefer a five game (preferably seven) series played straight. The Oilers are playing Chicago. And have McDavid and Draisaitl.

I prefer that the Oilers have an actual series rather than those round robin games.

N64:
    €√¥£€^$,

Round robins are for losers. STraight matchup play is to the OIlers advantage. There is no escape from a direct matchup.

23. N64 says:

Round robin with points in the bank virtually guarantees into round of 16 and a winning team also sets up a round of 16 advantage.

~ If the other option is #fakebestof5, sad ~

24. N64 says:

GMs were told on the call that the NHL draft itself will wait until after the season/playoffs. Which means the majority opinion of teams certainly won out on that one.
    Pierre LeBrun
    @PierreVLeBrun
    11m
    NHL GMs’ call went 1 hour 10 minutes. Sources say league unveiled 24-team format but couldn’t give specific dates, which GMs had hoped for. Phase 3 (training camps) won’t open before July, but no specific date (anywhere from July 1-15 start?) Phase 2 anywhere from June 1-8 start?

25. €√¥£€^$ says:

I agree, I am not a fan of this either, just thought it was an interesting take.

26. €√¥£€^$ says:

N64:
    €√¥£€^$,

I do as well, I had anticipated a tournament-type format given there would be multiple teams at a single site. Seemed like a logical approach and would be more interesting to me personally.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

NHL Official Announcement:

Bettman confirms 24 teams.

Top 12 in each conference via points percentage

Remaining 7 teams enter draft lottery

For record keeping and NHL rewards, NHL season has been deem completed.

2 hub cities which will be announced at a later date.

Anticipated 50 personnel per team for hub city with a small number of support staff

Phase 2 – anticipated early June – voluntary small group training – protocol released yesterday

Phase 3 – formal training camps – will NOT be before July 1

Phase 4 – teams report to hub cities

No fixed dates now as needs of players and circumstances will determine.

Narrowed hub cities to 10 – CHI, COL, DAL, EDM, LA, VAN, VEG – damn slide changed – missed the rest

Top 4 teams play round robin – regular season rules (including shootout)

Other team will play best of 5 – playoff OT rules

Next, conference based playoffs in each hub city

Not sure if first round will be via bracket or seeding

1st and 2nd rounds – still not determined 5 or 7 games

3rd and 4th rounds – definitely 7 games

Anticipate play-in and two rounds can be done in a month

28. €√¥£€^$ says:

godot10: Round robins are for losers.STraight matchup play is to the OIlers advantage.There is no escape from a direct matchup.

I see where you are coming from.

The point of the Round Robin is as a warm-up, so it doesn’t knock teams out, it gets them ready so they are more likely to be playing better hockey. If it improves the product, I am all for it.

29. OriginalPouzar says:

Lottery:

Will determine which clubs make first 3 selections

Will be conducted in 1 or 2 phases

7 non-qualifying clubs and losers of the play-in round will be in lottery.

Will not know those 8 non-qualifying teams so a place holder will be given for the lottery with the “correct percentage/odds”

Phase 1 draws on June 26 – 3 draws for 1st, 2nd and 3rd

If a “placeholder” draw wins a lottery then there will be a phase 2 draws

In a phase 2 draw, each of the losing qualifying teams have the same odds

Agggh, now it got too complicated but all teams in the “play-in” that lose have a 3% chance of first overall

30. N64 says:

Pierre LeBrun
    @PierreVLeBrun
    8m
    Bettman says there are 10 hub cities under consideration (for the two host spots): Vegas, Toronto, Chicago, Columbus, Edmonton, Dallas, L.A., Minnesota, Vancouver and Pittsburgh

31. €√¥£€^$ says:

godot10: The Ruotsalainen Rule.

I didn’t realize this one, thank you!

32. Ribs says:

OriginalPouzar: For record keeping and NHL rewards, NHL season has been deem completed.

Good to see Draisaitl and McDavid keep their top spots on the points board!

33. N64 says:

~ Only a bit complicated ~

Bob McKenzie
    @TSNBobMcKenzie

NHL Draft Lottery will be on Friday June 26. The Nos. 1, 2 and 3 picks will be up for grabs. Fifteen teams — the seven who are no longer playing plus 8 more currently identified as Teams A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H — will be in the lottery. Same lottery odds as prior years.

Teams A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H will be the eight losing teams from the best-of-five play-in or qualifying round but assigning actual teams to the letters will come in a Phase 2 lottery, to be conducted after the qualifying round but before the playoffs.

If the winner of the No. 1 pick draw comes from the bottom 7 seven teams (DET, OTT, SJ (belongs to OTT), LA, ANA, NJ, BUF), that team is awarded No. 1. If the winner of the No. 1 pick draw comes from the other 8 teams, the No. 1 pick will be awarded in the Phase 2 lottery.

If the winner of the No. 2 pick draw comes from the bottom 7 seven teams (DET, OTT, SJ (belongs to OTT), LA, ANA, NJ, BUF), that team is awarded No. 2. If the winner of the No. 2 pick draw comes from the other 8 teams, the No. 2 pick will be awarded in the Phase 2 lottery.

If the winner of the No. 3 pick draw comes from the bottom 7 seven teams (DET, OTT, SJ (belongs to OTT), LA, ANA, NJ, BUF), that team is awarded No. 3. If the winner of the No. 3 pick draw comes from the other 8 teams, the No. 3 pick will be awarded in the Phase 2 lottery.

If all three of the top picks are awarded to the known bottom 7 teams, there is no need for a Phase 2 lottery. If any of the top three picks are won by an 8 to 15 alpha-designated team, the Phase 2 lottery is required.

34. Darth Tu says:

N64:
    ~ Only a bit complicated ~

Bob McKenzie
    @TSNBobMcKenzie

As a fan of overly complicated things, bring on the Phase 2 lottery.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

Gary says will probably need a final decision on Hub Cities in the next 3-4 weeks.

Once players start doing the voluntary workouts, they will talk to the players and get a sense of how long they need before training camp and how long they will need for training camp.

Reiterates next season will be a full regular season but will start later – fine starting in to December.

36. N64 says:

Darth Tu: As a fan of overly complicated things, bring on the Phase 2 lottery.

Always root for chaos.

37. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Reiterates next season will be a full regular season but will start later –fine starting in to December.

Mentioned:
    * Low covid
    * Lots of testing available without taking from local needs
    * No quarantine moving to final round.

38. €√¥£€^$ says:

N64:
    Pierre LeBrun
    @PierreVLeBrun
    8m

I am thinking it ends up being LA and Vegas.

Despite the negative impact on the ice of the 40 C temperatures, it would be an easier sell to the players, the teams/players could move around with minimal attention or potential disruptions, the tech and tv crews are already there, or close by. No cross-border travel and the cities are so close to each other,it would be easier for the 2 finalists or 1 team to travel as necessary to the other location.

Are there any odds out there about this? Is the league set on having an Eastern and Western hub, or has this been mentioned anywhere?

39. Darth Tu says:

N64: Always root for chaos.

Oh I do.

If we go out against Chicago, I want the number 1 overall pick. Then we trade down…..

Chaos.

40. Todd Macallan says:

Darth Tu: Oh I do.

Chaos.

3rd overall and Stutzle to be mentored by Leon would be neat.

Darth Tu: Oh I do.

Chaos.

Why trade down? Lafreniere is a cheap 1st line winger for three years.

42. Darth Tu says:

godot10: Why trade down?Lafreniere is a cheap 1st line winger for three years.

Chaos.

43. N64 says:

Darth Tu: Chaos.

Always root for chaos. No matter how bad it gets SMOD can always clean up later

44. N64 says:

€√¥£€^$: I am thinking it ends up being LA and Vegas.

Despite the negative impact on the ice of the 40 C temperatures, it would be an easier sell to the players, the teams/players could move around with minimal attention or potential disruptions, the tech and tv crews are already there, or close by.No cross-border travel and the cities are so close to each other,it would be easier for the 2 finalists or 1 team to travel as necessary to the other location.

Are there any odds out there about this?Is the league set on having an Eastern and Western hub, or has this been mentioned anywhere?

Even though we have provincial confirmation that feds are in principle open to what NHL is asking for strongly believe both games will be in US.

45. Todd Macallan says:

With Bettman saying literally “the regular season is over”, is that a good sign for keeping our 3rd rounder? His language couldn’t be more clear.

Also congrats Leon on the Art Ross and likely Hart.

46. JimmyV1965 says:

N64:
    ~ Only a bit complicated ~

Bob McKenzie
    @TSNBobMcKenzie

That lottery process is the most NHLingest thing since the last NHLingest thing.

48. LadiesloveSmid says:

I’m not sure what value a crowd-less arena has, but fingers crossed Chicago isn’t a hub city. I don’t want Kane sleeping in his own bed!

They better damn beat Chicago

49. hunter1909 says:

LadiesloveSmid:

They better damn beat Chicago

Don’t worry! They will win.

Unless they don’t.

it makes perfect sense to me. Gary gets his big TV event for the networks, potentially twice, once in summer, and another between playoffs rounds. Detroit and Ottawa don’t get the benefit of tanking.

51. dustrock says:

If Edmonton is a hub city do we play Chicago here? If there’s an advantage too damn bad.

52. OriginalPouzar says:

Hitman77:

Assuming the Oilers win their play-in and keep their apx 20th draft spot, I don’t see Holland trading down out of that spot. There are going to be available players that meet exactly what the team needs – high skill offensive producers. The first round is really deep in that player this year.

Its all speculation on Jesse’s value until a trade is consummated but, from most accounts, its higher than a low 2nd.

There is all but zero chance that Holland will move Jesse for a late 2nd or early 3rd, ever.

53. OriginalPouzar says:

I posted yesterday about players maybe making their way back to Edmotnon to get ready for phase 2 – i was speaking specifically about the over-seas players but:

Jim Matheson
    @NHLbyMatty
    32m
    Not many Oiler players are in Edm for phase 2. Nugent-Hopkins is back in Vanc. Draisaitl not in town. Connor and Nurse back east as far as we know. Chiasson, Benning, Kris Russell in area. Benson and Skinner too

—————————

The out of town guys can make arrangeents to skate in NHL facilities where they are located but I wonder who/how many will start to make their way back to Edmonton?

Official training camp won’t be until July at the earliest.

54. Darth Tu says:

I love it. It’s so bizarre.

55. dustrock says:

Will the players on teams not currently playing be able to watch the other games in the stands?

I.e. if Calgary and Winnipeg are playing in Edmonton, will the Oilers be able to watch?

56. leadfarmer says:

Well that entire proposal is one giant mess

57. N64 says:

Lottery win has to be team Team F.

58. N64 says:

Darth Tu: I love it. It’s so bizarre.

If Arizona loses in the playin round, we know who is winning the lottery. Taylor Hall never fails. New Jersey will be happy.

60. N64 says:

Rishaug re-iterating the agreeable in principle comment from the Premier’s press conference about requiring workable quarantine (like BC does):

Ryan Rishaug
    @TSNRyanRishaug
    1h
    This 14 days could potentially occur within the “bubble” created by the league, and could include the hotel, the arena and other isolated areas. Alberta Govt has been working with the Feds on this and say they have an agreement in principle – so it may not have to hold up games.

61. N64 says:

dustrock:

62. OriginalPouzar says:

Per Rishaug

Daly re-states that based on their experts information, a single positive test, or multiple isolated tests would not have to shut the whole tournament down

63. Darth Tu says:

N64: A-H is hilarious. Its just 7 teams and the field and whatever the field wins in phase 1 is equally available to all teams in phase 2. They did the letters thing just so they could have a Team F card to show.

Totally. We should be betting on TEAM F right now. Woodguy has to be into this bet already….

64. N64 says:

Darth Tu: Totally. We should be betting on TEAM F right now.Woodguy has to be into this bet already….

The real money is in printing Team F NHL Lottery Golden Ticket T-Shirts.

65. OriginalPouzar says:

JJS:
    dustrock,

Pro hockey is an absolute grind

Granted, College athletes are more mature but I suspect the transition is considerably harder than we know.Some will never adjust.

“They” say the jump from the CHL to the AHL is often bigger and harder than the AHL to the NHL.

Although older players, so it mitigates it a bit, I think the same likely applies for the NCAA to pro hockey jump.

66. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair:
    The Phase Two protocols.

A very long read.

Staples did a very solid job of summarizing most key points on the Cult yesterday afternoon – i thought.

Also, Scott Burnside at The Athletic with a great summary yesterday as well.

67. OriginalPouzar says:

€√¥£€^$:
    I noticed a couple of months ago, via Facebook, that my next door neighbor went to Princeton and is also an Engineer.So I thought of Taylor Fedun, who I recalled had attended Princeton and had taken Engineering.I figured they were close in age, so I meant to ask him if they knew each other.After weeks of thinking about it and then forgetting, I finally decided to consult HockeyDB last week and sure enough my neighbour played hockey for 4 years at Princeton.Not much of a scorer, but he wore a letter in his 3rd year and was the Captain in his senior year….. just though that was interesting.

Kuffner was targetted by several NHL teams after his college career ended.I remember him being one of the top 10 NCAA Free Agents in 2019.When the AA trade went down, I was pretty excited for the Kuffner acquisition and mentioned it a couple of times on this blog.After digging around about him, he was visibly a quicker player at the DRW’s development camp, has an above average shot, has decent playmaking ability, is defensively responsible and is very effective along the boards.I suspect if he isn’t a markedly improved player next season (or whenever the hell the AHL resumes play) then we won’t ever see him in the NHL.

I do think it was an astute move by a very wise GM, who knows the potential of this player very well and saw a great opportunity to boost the LW depth for this franchise.If Benson gets an NHL opportunity, Kuffner will have no one blocking him, as I believe he would be given a push over anyone else on the current Condors roster.

Good post – thank you.

We know what Holland thinks of developing prospects and he probably values development, not only for 18-20 year old but for the older prospects as well.

Last year was the player’s first year pro (cup of coffee the year before) and he struggled, clearly.

Holland knows not to give up on a player after one year of pro – a very astute acquisition – pretty much free and zero risk.

68. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t think they’ll allow the Oilers to play in Edmonton, if they are a hub:

Ryan Rishaug
    @TSNRyanRishaug
    51m
    Daly on whether host teams can play in their own market

“We certainly see some merit to moving the club to a different market so that any perceived advantages associated with being in a home market are eliminated”

Adds that it’s not yet decided on.

—————

Daly did go on to say that, even if a team was in its own city, players wouldn’t be going home – of course.

69. OriginalPouzar says:

€√¥£€^$: I am thinking it ends up being LA and Vegas.

The league specifically mentioned they aren’t concerned about an east and a west hub.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965: Does this mean the Oilers enter the lottery draft if they lose to the Hawks, if there is spot not won by the bottom seven?

Yes sir – 3% chance of first over-all (all 8 teams bounced in the play-in will have those odds).

71. defmn says:

This is just a fun exercise because not all of these rankings are from exactly the same time frame. They are all from at least March, however, and since that was the last time there was any on ice data the lists should be pretty close to final.

What I did was take six different rankings for the first round and I am going to post them in three groups as I get time. Here are the first 10.

Lowetide’s list will be the 1 to 31 ‘anchor’ for the lists. His is from May and is designated as LT.

Elite Prospects is their April ranking and is designated as EP.

ISS is their March ranking and is designated as ISS.

Future Considerations is their March ranking and is designated as FC.

McKeens is their Final ranking and is designated as MK.

Draft Analyst by Steve Kournianos is their March ranking and is designated as DA.

As can be seen there is not a lot of consensus after #1 even for the first 10.

Somebody mentioned a few days ago that it would be fun to see a bunch of rankings side by side so I put this together. I’ll probably do 11-20 tomorrow and the final 11 the day after.

————————————-

Alexis Lafreniere – LT 1: EP 1; ISS 1; FC 1; MK 1; DA 1.

Quinton Byfield – LT 2; EP 2; ISS 4; FC 2; MK 3; DA 2.

Tim Stuetzle – LT 3; EP 8; ISS 2; FC 3; MK 2; DA 3.

Marco Rossi – LT 4; EP 3; ISS 7; FC 8; MK 9; DA 5.

Jamie Drysdale – LT 5; EP 5; ISS 3; FC 7; MK 6; DA 8.

Cole Perfetti – LT 6; EP 7; ISS 6; FC 9; MK 8; DA 4.

Alexander Holtz – LT 7; EP 6; ISS 9; FC 5; MK 7; DA 6.

Lukas Raymond – LT 8; EP 4; ISS 5; FC 4; MK 4; DA 9.

Jack Quinn – LT 9; EP 15; ISS 10; FC 23; MK 10; DA 21.

Dawson Mercer – LT 10; EP 14; ISS 12; FC 12; MK 13; DA 24.

72. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:
    If Edmonton is a hub city do we play Chicago here?If there’s an advantage too damn bad.

That is still TBD (if teams will be allowed to play in their hub) but it is an issue being discussed and I imagine that it won’t be allowed in the end.

I think there may be some minor advantages (dressing room) but, really, they are nominal and I won’t be fussed.

73. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer:
    Well that entire proposal is one giant mess

How so?

74. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar: How so?

Start at teams that had no chance of making the playoffs to having a chance of making the playoffs. But not only are they in the playoffs but they still get to keep lotto tickets For when they get knocked out. And then instead of having just one lottery after the first round it makes so much more sense to have two lotteries. Can’t wait for the excitement in the sporting community when team G wins the draft lottery followed by team B and E.
    Players get to return in June but only a few at a time and no coaching staff even though it’s been 3 months so really it’s like an offseason workout regimen.
    And then while being off for more than 3 months with very little practice time they have to be ready for playoff hockey immediately

75. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

leadfarmer:
    Well that entire proposal is one giant mess

It depends on your perspective. I can see how a doctor or an engineer may view it that way. I would venture the majority of NHL players see it that way as well. To a lawyer, however, it probably seems eminently reasonable.

76. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: Start at teams that had no chance of making the playoffs to having a chance of making the playoffs.But not only are they in the playoffs but they still get to keep lotto tickets For when they get knocked out.And then instead of having just one lottery after the first round it makes so much more sense to have two lotteries.Can’t wait for the excitement in the sporting community when team G wins the draft lottery followed by team B and E.

Without “stretching” to increase revenues (including receiving TV revenue on these contracts int he future as oppossed to them rolling over), it makes it tougher to agree on that “flat cap” – the Oilers need that if they want to keep their team together, let alone try and improve.

Only 8 teams are “in the playoffs” – 16 teams are playing series for the right to get in – or at least that’s how its being socialized – its just words and context but I’m fine with it.

Players returning in June is simply voluntary and if they want to use team facilities to skate etc. Training camp will start in early July – this would be like coming back to Edmonton in mid-August to start skating – there are no coaches for those skates prior to camp.

3 months off with some skating near the end and then a training camp – pretty much like a regular off-season, no?

————–

Sure, its all weird and wonky but, whatever, I’d rather have hockey than no hockey and it has zero effect on next season which I’ve been saying for a month plus won’t start until December in any event.

Being able to do this will be massive for the economics of the league in the short term. If they can’t do this, and they may not be able to, I’m not sure they’ll be able to go with the artificially inflated flat cap.

77. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: 24 teams is a bit much – 20 would be better in my opinion, as it involved “fair play” but, 100% I’m on board with “stretching” to get NYR, CHI, MTL in to help fulfill very important regional TV deals – that will go a ways towards hopefully getting that flat cap next year.

Exactly.

It’s all about the money and honoring TV contracts.

If this was not done, the league would be financially devastated next season.

The draft is a bit goofy but chances are overwhelming that the first three spots will go to the seven teams out of the play in and, if not, it just generates more interest in the league at a time when it is sorely needed.

78. Harpers Hair says:

There’s a very good chance the two hub cities will be in the US unless either BC or Alberta waives the 14 day quarantines currently required.

Bill Daly is trying to get those jurisdictions to allow those quarantines to be served in the bubbles but I’m not sure that’s going to happen.

79. SVR says:

So what’s the thoughts on an Oilers/Hawks series? Should be great hockey to watch. Chicago was coming on a bit at the end if I recall correctly. I’ll take McDavid and Draisaitl over Kane and Toews. Also Like our defense better. Just the goaltending where Chicago makes me nervous. I know Koskinen has similar stats to Crawford, but the Chicago tender has the experience. Either guy could get hot at the right time.
    What if Tippet goes with Smith as the starter though? This is a possibility based on regular season useage. Smith seemed to get more than his fair share of starts in the big game situations. Goaltending is often the difference in a series and becomes even more important in a short best of five

80. Harpers Hair says:

SVR:

DeBrincat and Kubalik also have the potential to be game changers.

81. OriginalPouzar says:

SVR:

Koskinen is my game 1 guy – he earned it with a better regular season.

With that said, Coach T has clearly shown his preference for Smith given he played just as much and I think he goes with “his guy” who has NHL playoff experience – could be fatal in a short series…..

82. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Chicago will be getting DeHaan back for the playoffs so their D matches up pretty well.

DeBrincat and Kubalik also have the potential to be game changers.

Yup, DeHaan is a solid addition. Oilers get Mike Green back as well.

I’ll take the Oilers defence overall over the Hawks – not even to mention the Oilers depth – the will have two legit plus NHL d-men as healthy scratches, plus Lagesson.

Nugent-Hopkins and Yamamoto have the potential to be game changers every bit as much as DeBrincat and Kubalik – two of the top offensive players in the league in the last 30 games played.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

Per Friedman:

Couple of other notes from Return-to-Play protocol: Two exhibition games per team; 28 skaters and as many goalies as you wish to carry

Roster size could change but that’s the current discussion.

84. SVR says:

OriginalPouzar: Koskinen has started both his NHL regular seasons on a hot streak – once might think that a fully rested Koski might get off to a hot start again?

Koskinen is my game 1 guy – he earned it with a better regular season.

Agree that Koskinen should be the starter. Also agree Tippet goes with Smith.

Need McDavid to take things over. He should be ready to hit yet another gear as he’ll be jacked to get into a playoff series again

I got the Oilers in 4!

85. OriginalPouzar says:

Even though the regular season is technically over, the Lucic pick is not necessarily safe.

As I’ve been saying, the strict wording of the condition won’t necessarily be the end all and be all of the regular season isn’t completed.

TBD.

86. €√¥£€^$ says:

SVR: Agree that Koskinen should be the starter. Also agree Tippet goes with Smith.

I got the Oilers in 4!

I have felt all season that Tippett’s blind spot has been Smith. And Smith the rover really scares me; for a wizened vet, he sure takes a lot of pretty crazy risks that seem to have limited rewards IMO.

Crawford scares me, but Smith scares me more, lol.

87. €√¥£€^$ says:

N64: I’d expect that. And with one big bubble and a secure connection why not off-shift hotel staff?

or fill the seats with 10,000 cardboard cut-outs of Brogan Rafferty!

Either that or my other, more profitable idea and the the hotel staff can sit in luxury boxes…..

88. N64 says:

Harpers Hair:

AB Premier already on record at a press conference that the bubble could count and that the feds are agreeable in principle with the Ab/Oiler approach.

As you say no guarantee that feds will sign off on a concrete proposal.

Expecting the NHL wants 2 US sites even if this is not an issue

89. leadfarmer says:

————–

Well it is like an offseason
    Except you are coming back for 2 exhibition games and 8/24 teams for at best 5 games before going back to an offseason

90. €√¥£€^$ says:

Back to Ryan Kuffner, I wonder if our astute GM makes a deal involving Benning with the Leafs and as part of the package we see Max Veronneau coming back. If you look at both of Kuffner and Veronneau’s careers, as teammates in the OJHL and at Princeton they appeared to have quite the chemistry and they clearly stirred the drink in New Jersey during their 4 yrs in the NCAA.

It would be very interesting how they would do with Ryan McCleod or if Benson* is in Edmonton, Cooper Marody as their Centerman.

Lets see if either TO or Edm makes a play for either player, my money is on Holland via Benning…..

*fixed

91. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: Well it is like an offseason

Ok, so?

92. oilersfan says:

Can anybody explain where do the oilers draft if they lose to Chicago then lose the draft lottery?

Is it 8th where Chicago would have picked?

16th because they are the highest ranked team of the non playoff teams?

Or 23 because that’s where they are now?

93. Gerta Rauss says:

oilersfan:

Is it 8th where Chicago would have picked?

16th because they are the highest ranked team of the non playoff teams?

Or 23 because that’s where they are now?

From Scott Burnside’s piece over at the Athletic

The remaining top 15 draft picks will go to the remaining bottom seven teams and the eight teams that lose in the play-in round in inverse order of their points percentage at the time of the pause.

It’s tough to say exactly where the Oilers would pick based on your criteria, but it would be no worse than 15th..I guess it depends who else loses in the play in round and if they have a better regular season points percentage than the Oilers

*edit- I did the legwork…below are the PP% of the teams that would apply to the above scenario

PIT .623%
    CAR .596%
    NYI .588%
    EDM .585%

So if the OIlers lose to CHI, and do NOT get a lottery win, the worst they would pick is 15th, and they could pick as high as 12th, provided that PIT, CAR, and NYI also get bounced in the play in round

94. oilersfan says:

Gerta Rauss,

Thanks for doing thAt work

There is something really messed up with how well Chicago is doing in this…

Seems to me if they lose the oilers should get the 8th pick that Chicago would get

95. Gerta Rauss says:

oilersfan,

I think the league/PA are doing the best they can with a situation that is going to leave several constituents unhappy with whatever format they choose

If the Oilers lose to Chicago and get a pick no worse than 15 overall, I’d enjoy my summer a little more, and take a small positive out of this shit sandwich of a situation

96. BONE207 says:

No wonder Shakespeare wanted to kill all the lawyers

97. Ribs says:

– Can we still sign Ty Rattie for preseason/playoffs?

– Not playing home teams at home is silly. If their city is chosen, good for them.

– I really hope no one gets sick.

98. hunter1909 says:

Ribs: – A Chicago series could be tricky. They try to slip you into a track meet game, and in many years now, the Oilers have usually obliged. Tippett will have to rein in his checkers for this to go our way.

The least McDavid + Draisaitl + Nurse + Bear + Yamamoto + Larsson can do is repay the compliment.

Consolation Prize: Lottery chances for the loser which makes it basically a total win-win for each team…brilliancy prize to whoever thought of it.

99. hunter1909 says:

BONE207: No wonder Shakespeare wanted to kill all the lawyers

They could do a Roman-style decimation style situation whereby all lawyers and bankers enter a lottery and every 10th one of them is immediately liquidated.

ADD: Every so-called democratic legislative body from state/provincial level to federal lol

100. ArmchairGM says:

Gerta Rauss: From Scott Burnside’s piece over at the Athletic

PIT .623%
    CAR .596%
    NYI .588%
    EDM .585%

In other words, Edmonton will add a pretty nice player to the 50-man this summer; and if not, it means they went all the way to the Cup finals. I’m happy with these options.

101. OriginalPouzar says:

So listening to Daly from last night, there is no problem getting player to the US or Canada – professional athletes have now been deemed essential in the US and, in Canada, the federal government allows travel in for work purposes.

The issue with Canada, and potentially have a hub city (or both) in Canada is the 14-day mandatory quarantine.

They are dealing with the federal government on that and have been in discussions.

102. Ribs says:

hunter1909: I always thought it was the Oilers who turned up always to play the Hawks ready for a 60 minute shootout, and it was the Blackhawks politeness that always had them obliging.

Either way it is risky to engage them in this way. I’ve seen the Hawks suck other teams into it as well. They get everyone running around and the turnover ratio skyrockets!