David Bowie’s Five Years

Some actual news yesterday, as the Oilers will invite four goalies and run with three during the unusual playoffs. Olivier Rodrigue is one of those goalies and his inclusion might be a tell about how the organization sees him. One of the reasons might be how he finished the season.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, check it out here.

RODRIGUE RESUME

In the final 11 games (February 1 through March 11), Rodrigue posted a goals against of 1.41 and a save percentage of .947. That’s a small sample but fantastic numbers. It’s too bad his season was cut short but it sounds like the Oilers noticed. As you know, I like to go back to the beginning and review the scouting reports from draft day weekend.

Corey Pronman, The Athletic: Rodrigue is a very calm goalie in between the pipes. He’s very smart, always seems to find a way to square up pucks and tracks pucks quite well.

Red Line Report: Ranked No. 39, “makes the easy saves, and the acrobatic ones too.”

I think he has a chance to be the starter for the Bakersfield Condors next season.

FIVE YEARS AGO TODAY

It was the best of times. One hour later, there was a rain, but drafting Connor McDavid was a massive moment in Oilers history. Here are his draft day scouting reports. Look for a discouraging word. I dare you.

Craig Button, TSN: Two words; unprecedented speed. Skating speed, hand quickness and mental processing that he executes simultaneously to threaten defenders and create opportunities. He would be the first pick at every draft since Sidney Crosby in 2005, perhaps even in Crosby’s draft year. Source.

Red Line: Dynamic speed and acceleration forces dmen to back off the blue line. Has a top end separation gear that’s a blur.

ISS: An intelligent, creative player that can wait for the play to come to him or create something out of nothing. A natural playmaker that is not afraid to go to the middle of the ice to make plays and makes those around him better. Has elite hockey IQ and knows where to be on the ice at all times.

McKeens: Explodes up the ice in one stride and can blow by a defender before he even has time to pivot .. incredibly balanced and strong on his skates – tough to knock down despite countless attempts by the opposition.

Future Considerations: An offensive threat with tremendous speed, McDavid is lethal in transition and makes opponents step back because of his ability to burn them quickly.

Black Book: Connor possesses electrifying speed and acceleration. He gets his feet moving instantaneously and gets everything out of his stride, allowing him to pull away from good skaters quickly. At least once per game you would think he has a turbo button for his skates. His vision is outstanding and he always seems to know who’s around him and what his best option is. He combines these two skills to create plays for his linemates.

THEN CAME THE REINHART TRADE

Approximately one hour later, Peter Chiarelli made a big trade, sending a first and second round pick to the New York Islanders for Griffin Reinhart. Here’s what I wrote at the time:

The Reinhart add (for me) is another addition to the prospect group, no more, no less. He’s miles better than Colten Teubert, but teams don’t trade No. 4 overall picks who are working out swell so let’s be real about it. I have said, and believe, it was an overpay. If Reinhart ends up being Colten Teubert, please hold it against Peter Chiarelli and Bob Green. If he turns out to be splendid, give them credit. In the meantime, let’s not beat each other up too badly, okay? Thanks.

THE 2015 DRAFT

Here is my summary at the time, pick by pick:

C Connor McDavidThe franchise. Words are all we have until fall, and we used them all up before the draft. I think he might start the season with Hall and Eberle, perhaps Pouliot and another veteran. If you’re an Oilers winger, that RW job on 97’s line is the ultimate. I like Chiarelli’s comments about tempering expectations, we could all adopt that attitude as we get deeper into this year. Connor McDavid is going to have growing pains, we may want to pump the breaks on Calder trophy talk, 80-point projections and calling the new arena ‘The House of McDavid’. Unnecessary pressure from us isn’t going to help. NHLE: 82GP, 23-40-63.

D Caleb Jones. A mobile defender with a reputation for being a very good passer (seemed to be a theme in this year’s draft). Looking at the team stats I doubt he got much power play time (1 assist) so it’ll be interesting to see if the boxcars spike as he moves to the WHL for the coming season. 6.0, 194, can skate well and thinks the game well based on scouting reports (ISS has a nice profile on the young man). Seth’s brother, I like the pick, we need to adjust for TOI and role when looking at the equivalency. NHLE: 82GP, 2-5-7.

D Ethan Bear. Early this season, I made a list of CHL defensemen who were showing up often in conversation about the 2015 draft. Bear impressed me as a guy who clicked off all of the boxes: Good skater, makes pinpoint passes, makes good decisions, calm feet, built like a tank (5.11, 200) and can hit hard. Bear didn’t get a lot of ink during the year but posted good numbers and what little was written about him was positive. I don’t know if the ‘saw him good’ crowd or the math people (or both) recommended him but am pleased to see the Oilers grabbed him at a fantastic number. Cody Nickolet wrote a thorough and insightful item on him here. NHLE: 82GP, 5-9-14.

D John Marino. Kirk Luedeke: Solid, if not spectacular, all-around defenseman. Trains off-ice with Hanifin. Set for Yale in 2016 and could return for senior year at Catholic Memorial, play another USPHL season, or play next for Chicago in the USHL. Source

G Miroslav Svoboda. Young WillisSvoboda has had two strong seasons at the Czech junior level and his 6’3″ frame gives him good size for the position. He’ll be stepping up to the senior level next year, playing for second division Czech team AZ Havirov. On paper, he’s not a particularly compelling prospect, but he is just a seventh-round pick, he’s big and has shown well in flashes, and what we don’t know from looking at him on paper could probably fill volumesSource

D Ziyat Paigin. Huge Russian (6.06, 209) played in the KHL as a teenager and that has to be respected. He’s a mountain, that’s going to be his calling card should he make the NHL. This is the ultimate boom/bust selection but they took him late and for me Paigin’s presence in the KHL (he played 33 games, 9 minutes a night) gets him here. ISS likes his defensive coverage. NHLE: 82GP, 2-2-4.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260, this could be a big day for the NHL and I’m not just talking draft lottery. Steve Lansky from Inside The Truck podcast and BigMouthSports will chat Kevin Lowe, Ken Holland and the entire HHOF class of 2020. Ryan Bartoshyk, commissioner of the AJHL, will update us on the league’s situaton and plans moving forward. Matt Iwanyk pops by to talk draft lottery and we’ll chat a little baseball and footy too. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

144 Responses to "David Bowie’s Five Years"

1. ArmchairGM says:

Happy birthday Ethan Bear!

2. LadiesloveSmid says:

If Marino signed & Edmonton kept 16 + 33, has to be at least 2nd best draft in oiler history. Might already be, I suppose.

Feel triggered just reading Grifiin Reinhart’s name, I jumped on my couch when Barzal dropped.

3. Darth Tu says:

“If you’re an Oilers winger, that RW job on 97’s line is the ultimate”

And here we are 5 years later. I love Kassian, he’s the best option to play there especially seeing as Yam has so much chemistry with Draisatl and Nuge, but I wish there was someone better that could grab that RW slot with McDavid.

If Jesse does come back I hope he grabs the opportunity with both hands.

I feel quietly confident that at least one of our goalie prospects is going to turn into a capable backup or 1B Goalie, with the potential that one of them will make a real go of the starters job. They are voodoo, but we are in a good place for the first time in a while.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Bill Daly has advised that Phase 3 (training camps) won’t include quarantine for the players but they will be advised to “stay home” when not at the rinks.

As I’ve been posting, I think this has to be the case and it has to be a mandate as opposed to “advise”.

Players can’t be out and about in society in the two weeks leading up heading to their quarantine bubble.

That bubble needs to start Covid-free.

5. N64 says:

Expecting MGM and CNE.to win.

Looks like is was Van > New Toronto bid > Edmonton > old Toronto bid

Pierre LeBrun
    @PierreVLeBrun
    2h
    Sense I get is it’s extremely close between Edm and Tor bids, both seem to have provincial health clearance. One source involved gave slight edge to Tor but wasn’t ready to call it yet. Players will have more discussions this morning on it and get back to the league.

Bottom line. Players get to pick the Canadian site. Probably today.

6. Clarkenstein says:

Every time you mention the Reinhart trade my tic comes back. Thanks.

7. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar:

That bubble needs to start Covid-free.

Deming: “Inspection is too late: the quality, good or bad, is already in the product”

8. Darth Tu says:

Five Years is one of my all time favourite songs. Absolutely genius, and the imagery is fantastic. Relating to the Oilers though, I’m guessing you’re alluding to the fact that we have 5 years left before the world end? I have 6 more years of McDavid unless we trade him a year early…

9. Elgin R says:

In 40 years the OIlers have only drafted 3 #1 goalies. Moog (#132 – 1980), Fuhr (#8 – 1981) and Dubnyk (#14 – 2004). Can Rodrigue (#62 – 2018) be the 4th? We should know in 3 – 5 years, however projecting goalies is voodoo. As a note, it took Jordan Binnington 7-years to establish himself fulltime in the NHL. Hoping Rodrique makes it, then the Oilers do not have to spend assets (or overpay) to cover the position. Also, wouldn’t it be great to have a French-Canadian #1 goalie taken with the pick that the Habs traded. Just envision him shutting out the Habs at the Bell Center, the press would be all over Bergevin. The Oilers drafted Konovalov (#85 – 2019) so they have a couple of good prospects matriculating.

If Yarolslav Askarov is available when the Oilers pick do they take him or pick a forward?

10. meanashell11 says:

I play around in private equity and was on a call the other day discussing an interesting company. They have developed facial recognition technology that is used by several large football teams in Europe to monitor game day crowds and single out known hooligans. They have recently adapted this technology using special cameras to take the temperature of fans entering stadiums to protect against covid-19. This is allowing fans back into the stands in Europe. I thought it is an interesting company and maybe the NHL should speak to them??

11. N64 says:

Texas closes bars and returns restaurants to 50%. Outdoor gathering limited to 100 (same as Alberta)

Closing “elective” surgery and leaving bars open wasn’t going to fly.

12. dustrock says:

I heard telephones, sports radio, favorite memories
    I saw boys, toys, Euros and coke machines
    My brain hurt like a warehouse, it had no room to spare
    I had to cram so many stats, to store everything in there
    And all the fat-skinny draft picks, and all the tall-short draft picks
    And all the nobody draft picks, and all the somebody draft picks
    I never thought I’d need so many draft picks

13. OriginalPouzar says:

I believe the league will be updated the public on the phase 2 positive test COVID numbers – I think they said they will do that weekly and they last did it last Friday.

Lets remember, players taking part in phase 2 have no restrictions away from the rink – they are out and about in society – positive tests are expected.

This will not be the case when they are in phase 3 and phase 4.

14. Darth Tu says:

meanashell11:

How the heck does that work for asymptomatic people?

15. Darth Tu says:

dustrock:
    I heard telephones, sports radio, favorite memories
    I saw boys, toys, Euros and coke machines
    My brain hurt like a warehouse, it had no room to spare
    I had to cram so many stats, to store everything in there
    And all the fat-skinny draft picks, and all the tall-short draft picks
    And all the nobody draft picks, and all the somebody draft picks
    I never thought I’d need so many draft picks

Poetry. Absolute poetry.

I would offer one suggested edit:

I heard telephones, sports radio, favorite memories
    I saw boys, toys, Euros and Brogan Rafferties

16. jp says:

LT: “I think he (Rodrigue) has a chance to be the starter for the Bakersfield Condors next season.”

Agreed, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he stole the job from Skinner.

17. kelvjn says:

meanashell11:

Very unlikely to work in the US where there are states that does not even allow cops to enforce speed limit by radar camera due to “privacy”.

An AI auto scanning in the stadium alone would alienate at least 40% of the population in the US, an dit won’t help to “grow the fame” .

Never mind the bone heads who still think the lock down is a farce.

18. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Do any bubble protocols account for what to do with a player in an immediate emergency situation, i.e. has an injury and needs to be rushed to a hospital?

Nevada has spiked hard, you can guarantee player safety in the bubble, but how can you guarantee their safety in an emergency room?

In such a case is it not prudent to put the hub city in the location with the best overall health services?

Las Vegas is such a terrible idea for a hub city, but people like gambling?

I don’t get it.

19. dustrock says:

Darth Tu,

Ha ha thanks. Don’t want to sully Bowie with Brogan but it works better than coke machines

20. Glovjuice says:

Ok, I’ve tried the worst trade in Oilers history angle and it doesn’t get much traction. How about stupidest trade in Oilers history? No. OK. How about most unnecessary trade in Oilers history? I still maintain all of the above.

21. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar:

This will not be the case when they are in phase 3 and phase 4.

And we have the NBA pct as well. Both leagues about 5% of players. In contrast Alberta asymptomatic testing on 12K was 1/30 %. So yeah it will be MGM and CNE. At least in Vegas leakage OUT won’t be noticed.

22. meanashell11 says:

Darth Tu,

No idea but they are using it in Europe right now.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

Rodrigue had a massive finish to the Q season last year (as noted by the host) and put the finishing touches on a very nice junior career.

Here is hoping there is an AHL/ECHL for his to play in during the fall – more than likely nothing will start in the minor pro leagues until the NHL starts, in my opinion.

———

Starter for the Condors? That seems a bit aggressive to me – you never know but it seems aggressive.

One would think Skinner has the inside track on the starting AHL job and I’m not positive that Starrett isn’t brought back or another NHL veteran 3G brought in.

24. N64 says:

meanashell11:
    Darth Tu,

No idea but they are using it in Europe right now.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

What a draft 2015 was, even with the mistake.

It was 1974 Steelers good or 1979 Oilers good but damn good.

26. Ribs says:

meanashell11:

That is pretty cool! Widespread use of this technology could be very helpful for anywhere that has large groups of people.

27. bsmart says:

OriginalPouzar,

The mistake was at an executive level and not a scouting level. It would have been interesting if they kept the pick whom they would have taken at 16.

28. PennersPancakes says:

bsmart,

I remember the rumored name being Joel Eriksson Ek who was drafted by Minnesota at 20. Guy had a cup of coffee his first year and has played 75, 58, and 62 games since. Seems to be coming along now with 29 points in 62 games. 15:43 TOi per game this season.

Theres the 3C we could have had! No one asked but I’m gonna ramble a bit. There were a few trades involved so the relevant players are”

16: Matthew Barzal 1C (Islanders pick from Reinhart trade)
    20: Joel Eriksson Ek 3C maybe 2C in the future (Mineesota pick tied to Oilers rumors before trade)
    28: Anthony Beauvillier 2-3 LW (Islanders pick where they traded up from the 2nd round in the Reinhart trade)
    33: Mitchell Stephens Tweener (Tampa Bay trading down with the Islanders)
    72: Anthony Cirelli 2C maybe 1C in the future (other pick involved with trading down)

Islanders got a 1C and a 2LW, Minnesota got a middle 6 C, Tampa got a top 6 C. Edmonton got an AHL drop out who had 2 points in 33 KHL games this season. Im not bitter. Not at all, why do you ask? /s

29. OriginalPouzar says:

LeBrun advising that, as per Daly, there will be no hub city decision today – still ironing stuff out (which, to me, means, they are trying to figure out a way to make Toronto work which, given logistics, will not have as tight a bubble as other places – like Edmonton).

30. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Honestly they have all the plans now. After Van dropped they started the final discussion with the players. Waiting on the players to pick now. Edge probably to the CNE bid now, but close enough that decision awaits ongoing player discussion.

31. bsmart says:

PennersPancakes,

Oh what could have been! At least Jones and Bear are solid top 6 NHL Dmen with good careers ahead of them.

I love Bear’s IQ with the puck, he has no panic point for such a young dman in a tough league with a small ice surface. He seems to find time and space. The most pleasant surprise for me this season.

A close second is Yamo, and third is Mr. Jones !!

32. bsmart says:

OriginalPouzar,

I’m fine with TO being the hub given the risks associated with bringing a worldly crowd to our small city.

33. PennersPancakes says:

bsmart,

The scouting staff shot 100%, big what if about those 2 picks given away. Gives us something to day dream about but youre very right, shouldnt let the trade distract from how well Bear and Jones are tracking. Getting 2 potential top 4 d out of a 4th and 5th round pick is amazing.

Only going to get in a mental frenzy if I continue to think about how Aho or Carlo would look in Orange and Blue.

On a side note I wonder how teams (especially the Oilers) track their predictions and results. Obviously each team has limited picks but they still rank tons of players. I’m sure teams could easily jerry rig some system to look at scouts lists with how those players look in +3-5 years.

34. PennersPancakes says:

bsmart: I love Bear’s IQ with the puck, he has no panic point for such a young dman in a tough league with a small ice surface. He seems to find time and space. The most pleasant surprise for me this season

After seeing the panic of Oilers d over the last decade (with few exceptions) it will be a different feeling having Bear and Bouchard patrol the right side for the next decade. Having those dmen who can transition the puck smoothly instead of just dumping it will have such a large impact on the team.

35. Harpers Hair says:

Ryan Rishaug
    @TSNRyanRishaug
    9m
    Notable that for Flames and Oiler players returning from across the border, a 7 day quarantine is required with multiple tests in that time before they are allowed to enter phase 2 and get on the ice in their small groups.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

This must have been arranged with both the federal and provincial level of governments (i.e. an exception to the federal 14 day quarantine rule), no?

In any event, the key is really that they are all quarantining and tested up prior to training camp on July 10 and, hopefully, training camp will be mandated rink and home quarantine – no general public interactions.

Ryan Rishaug
    @TSNRyanRishaug
    12m

37. Darth Tu says:

N64: HMart in Edmonton uses thermal scan right now. It’s an adjunct to other measures. Don’t see how it skims off enough to reopen stands.

That’s what I thought too, I don’t see how heat sensors only gets you back into games. The asymptomatic spread has always been the big issue with this whole situation.

38. Darth Tu says:

dustrock:
    Darth Tu,

Ha ha thanks.Don’t want to sully Bowie with Brogan but it works better than coke machines

Glad to be of assistance, your effort is sublime though. Well done sir.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

bsmart:
    OriginalPouzar,

Of course, never intimated otherwise, at least with respect to amateur scouts – the amateur scouts didn’t make the trade (and, presumably, didn’t down-play the value of the prospects available).

Pro scouting has culpability……

40. OriginalPouzar says:

bsmart:
    OriginalPouzar,

I’m somewhat indifferent – would prefer Edmonton, just cause, but, for on-ice hockey reasons, it doesn’t really matter.

There shouldn’t be a material risk to the city/host though – if done properly.

The players coming in to the bubble/hub/city should be assuredly COVID-free – it won’t be 100% but, stage 3, training camps, will mandate (presumably) a home-rink quarantine so the players are not out and about catching the virus in the two weeks before they travel to the hub.

Of course, it can’t be 100%, i mean, there could be players not adhering to the stage 3 protocol and, of course, the players have families and I’m assuming the family isn’t cohorting vis quarantine – the wife/kids, etc. will be out and about – could transmit to the player.

I don’t see the risk to Edmonton/Alberta being material as far as overwhelming the Alberta health care system or anything like that.

41. N64 says:

Darth Tu: That’s what I thought too, I don’t see how heat sensors only gets you back into games.The asymptomatic spread has always been the big issue with this whole situation.

Fauci today: In all the decades I’ve been involved in chasing infectious diseases…there’s no other infectious disease that goes from 40% of the people having no symptoms to some having mild symptoms to some having severe.

Yesterday US new case count surpassed previous record from 4/24. In last 10 days new cases have doubled.The 10 day jump skews under 35. So there will be a double lag for the huge jump in under 35s to spill over to 35+ and then to death counts.

Bad timing to go to Vegas.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Darth Tu:
    “If you’re an Oilers winger, that RW job on 97’s line is the ultimate”

If Jesse does come back I hope he grabs the opportunity with both hands.

I feel quietly confident that at least one of our goalie prospects is going to turn into a capable backup or 1B Goalie, with the potential that one of them will make a real go of the starters job.They are voodoo, but we are in a good place for the first time in a while.

Got to agree with Kassian.

He is a valuable player and makes the team better.

I think he would be even more valuable if his minutes were reduced a bit and he can play his game on the 3rd line and add size, speed, energy, aggressiveness to that bottom six.

At this point, you are right, he is the best fit as 1RW, however, over time, that spot will be filled by another I would think (whether Benson makes the top 6 (LW), AA solidifies a top 6 spot, Lavoie grabs it eventually, Maksimov happens to pop, etc.).

Yes, Jesse could very well be that player – the spot is there for his taking – its up to him at this point.

43. OriginalPouzar says:

As per Friedman:

Players were asked to approve Vancouver and Vegas – they did.

When things started to hit a snafu with Vancouver, the league went to players on Tuesday and asked for their preferences if Vancouver is out.

So players basically approve the hub locations in advance.

—————

The vote to come will be the entire union on both the Return To Play and the CBA extension.

It will include all players from all teams.

All players are asked to vote on RTP, even those not coming back, as matters are inter-twined with the new CBA/extension and matters going forward.

So, in Elliotte’s words “its a big one vote” – I guess that means one vote for RTP and CBA together.

44. Reja says:

PennersPancakes:
    bsmart,

16: Matthew Barzal 1C (Islanders pick from Reinhart trade)
    33: Mitchell Stephens Tweener (Tampa Bay trading down with the Islanders)

45. Darth Tu says:

N64,

I was listening to Oilers Now at lunch, Friedman was suggesting that it really wouldn’t be all that much of a surprise if we ended up with Edmonton and Toronto as the host cities. This was after saying that 2 weeks ago he was certain it would be Vancouver and Vegas.

We’ll see of course, I still think the league has a liking for the Vegas bid. All down to how the players feel about the safety of bubbles and risk from the virus working it’s way into said bubble.

46. Darth Tu says:

OriginalPouzar:
    As per Friedman:

Players were asked to approve Vancouver and Vegas – they did.

So players basically approve the hub locations in advance.

—————

It will include all players from all teams.

Yup – that was very interesting to hear, the part about Vegas and Vancouver being approved by players. In theory I guess it’s Vegas + one of Toronto and Edmonton. Although as mentioned above Elliotte said he’d not be surprised at all if it ended up being the two Canadian hubs now.

47. jp says:

Glovjuice:

How about “in the past 30 years”?

48. Hitman77 says:

LadiesloveSmid:

I was watching the draft and chatting with my friend when the Reinhart trade was announced. I remember completely losing my mind as Barzal was my Oiler pick at that slot. Just completely ruined the evening for me.

49. Reja says:

kelvjn: day.

Not going to happen until they take away their guns. One of the advantages of being U.S neighbours is thankfully this privacy breach won’t happen here legally for awhile yet.

50. Reja says:

Darth Tu: Yup – that was very interesting to hear, the part about Vegas and Vancouver being approved by players.In theory I guess it’s Vegas + one of Toronto and Edmonton. Although as mentioned above Elliotte said he’d not be surprised at all if it ended up being the two Canadian hubs now.

The Wife’s will decide.

51. Darth Tu says:

Reja: The Wife’s will decide.

52. LadiesloveSmid says:

Wyatt Kalynuk, PHI Defence prospect’s rights expired yesterday.

28P in 36GP for Wisconsin this season, from Virden MB

’97 Bday, so 23 already

53. OriginalPouzar says:

Elgin R:
    In 40 years the OIlers have only drafted 3 #1 goalies. Moog (#132 – 1980), Fuhr (#8 – 1981) and Dubnyk (#14 – 2004).Can Rodrigue (#62 – 2018) be the 4th?We should know in 3 – 5 years, however projecting goalies is voodoo.As a note, it took Jordan Binnington 7-years to establish himself fulltime in the NHL.Hoping Rodrique makes it, then the Oilers do not have to spend assets (or overpay) to cover the position.Also, wouldn’t it be great to have a French-Canadian #1 goalie taken with the pick that the Habs traded.Just envision him shutting out the Habs at the Bell Center, the press would be all over Bergevin.The Oilers drafted Konovalov (#85 – 2019) so they have a couple of good prospects matriculating.

Glad you mentioned Konovalov as, in my opinion, his status as a prospect should be in the same tier as Rodrigue and he’s “closer” as a bit older and already playing pro in a top league.

One more year in the KHL for Konovalov and then he can sign and come over (hopefully) – that will correspondence with the ELC’s of both Skinner and Wells expiring so Holland will be able to determine which of the three he wants to keep (presumably Skinner and Konovalov but Wells could re-establish himself) in addition to Rodrigue.

54. N64 says:

Reja: The Wife’s will decide.

The Edmonton did was based on the Hockey Canada model. Oly Village concept (which Toronto added at CNE). Also that family can join for the 2nd part.

I don’t think they pick Edmonton. But ironic if the risible you can see Jasper from Edmonton vid hits its actual target: i.e. Canadians or family willing to quarantine for the first part (how about Jasper Park Lodge?) in order to hang in Edmonton and/or Rockies for 2nd part.

55. N64 says:

Darth Tu: Edmonton it is. You can get into far more trouble in Vegas than you can in Edmonton.

~ OP says Vegas will have way more staff in the bubble ~

56. Reja says:

I wish someone would of told my man Pronger.

57. Pescador says:

Darth Tu:

. You can get into far more trouble in Vegas than you can in Edmonton.

Which is the reason why some of the wives would prefer Vegas,
    Just sayin

58. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar: Players were asked to approve Vancouver and Vegas – they did.

So players basically approve the hub locations in advance.

Interesting that when all the Van people said Van was close to done the PA apparently had already decided. In a similar vein they may have decided today between CNE and Ice District and we might start hearing hints again even if there is no official announcement before the full Return to Play vote.

59. Ribs says:

I wonder if Kenney is collecting a bunch of “defective” tests for the Oilers and Flames to use during the playoffs? He seems like the crafty sort that would plan for something like this. Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised to find “defective” tests for any hub person who tests positive.

The very real possibility of the playoffs turning into a spectacular flaming mess is pretty exciting, I must say.

——–

They are opening up the rinks next week for beer leaguers here. We’re told that dressing rooms will not be available. They will set up chairs somewhere for people to put there skates on to help maintain physical distancing. So yes, that means there will be grown-ass humans driving to arenas in the scorching heat of summer in their full hockey gear (minus skates/helmet/gloves). This crazy world.

The Boffo African Dust Storm wiil hit the US southeast coast tomorrow and the gulf coast over the weekend. The Marriage of Mr. Covid and Miss. Unbreathable Air.

#2020 can’t stop. #2020 won’t stop.

It #2020’s party, and it will do what it wants.

61. N64 says:

godot10:

#2020 can’t stop.#2020 won’t stop.

It #2020’s party, and it will do what it wants to.

That dust is just to cover the approach of the murder hornets. #smod2020

62. OriginalPouzar says:

While I, in no way, want the Oilers to lose to the Hawks (nor do I think they will), I’m really excited to watch the lottery tonight and am cheering hard for at least one of the three top spots to go to a “placeholder” – as long as they don’t turn out to be the flames or nucks.

Should be fun!

63. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Should be fun!

THREE FOR THREE #alwaysrootforchaos

64. Bruce McCurdy says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Hmmm.

1979 draft is #1. Incredible start to Oilers NHL era. Despite being saddled — as an “expansion” team — with the last pick in each round, & trading out of the second round, those top three picks look even better than ever.

#21 Kevin Lowe, 6 Stanleys, HHoF
    #48 Mark Messier, 6 Stanleys, HHoF
    #69 Glenn Anderson, 6 Stanleys, HHoF

Three consecutive Hall of Famers drafted, has that ever been done?

4 guys with 6 Cups since Oilers entered the league, 3 of them drafted that day by the Oilers, Bryan Trottier the only other.

But then you have 1980:

#6 Paul Coffey, 4 Stanleys, HHoF
    #69 Jari Kurri, 5 Stanleys, HHoF
    #132 Andy Moog, 3 Cups

Those drafts have been 1-2 in my books since they happened. 2015 would be close, if they hadnt traded 16, 33 etc & ultimately Marino as well.

’81 was pretty good too — Grant Fuhr, Steve Smith — but i’d already suggest 2015 is the best class since then, with room for growth.

65. N64 says:

Too hot to golf in Vegas. But never too hot to swing those golf clubs #tigerwives

66. Darth Tu says:

Pescador: Which is the reason why some of the wives would prefer Vegas,
    Just sayin

HA. OK, point taken.

67. Darth Tu says:

Ribs: Well, you could flip the switch on the facial recognition and retrieve your contact traces… But I don’t think anyone is up for that kind of surveillance at this time!

——–

As an ardent fan of chaos I also look forward to the playoffs devolving into a car wreck. As long as at the end of the car wreck the Oilers win the Stanley Cup.

I will gladly feast on the tears of the haters who say this Cup shouldn’t count due to XXX team being knocked out after losing half of their players.

Of course, if the shoe is on the other foot, and Toronto win I will declare the Cup shouldn’t really count 🙂

Chaos.

68. Darth Tu says:

N64: THREE FOR THREE#alwaysrootforchaos

CHAOS.

Yes. If we go out against the Hawks I hope we’re picking top 3. Any one of the top 3 would look incredible on this team.

69. New Improved Darkness says:

I’ve been away for a spell.

Dear Lord: please tell me I didn’t miss the balance photo.

TIA.

———

With formalities out of the way, check out the smoke from the Big Smoke.

Is Ontario having a mission-accomplished moment with COVID-19? — 26 June 2020

David Williams, Ontario’s chief medical officer, says that Ontario’s situation simply can’t be compared to those of B.C. or the Maritimes.

“It’s so different — it’s like comparing B.C. to P.E.I.,” Williams said Thursday at his regular Queen’s Park media briefing. “We have a much bigger province; we have 14.8 million people. The only one closest to us is Quebec, and the dynamic is so different here.”

“We’re not down in the ones and zeroes and twos, because we don’t have a province of 1 million people spread over a huge area. We’ve got one of the most dense urban areas; we have huge travel issues,” Williams said. “You see Toronto is now down — the GTA itself is the same size as some of the other provinces totally — and Toronto is only at 58 cases.”

Irfan Dhalla, vice-president of physician quality at Unity Health Network in Toronto and staff physician at St. Michael’s Hospital, says that there are plenty of comparable jurisdictions around the world that have managed to do what Ontario has struggled to do.

———

Rural population by province from statscan supplemented by 2020 population share from Wikipedia:

Ont. 14 38.79
    B.C. 14 13.51
    Alta. 17 11.63
    Que. 19 22.55
    Man. 28 3.64
    Sask. 33 3.12
    N.L. 41 1.38
    N.S. 43 2.58
    N.B. 48 2.06
    P.E.I. 53 0.42

Comparing Ontario to BC is like comparing BC to PEI?

Who wants to be a hub city? You do! You do!

Toranna has always had this special seat of seeing, like the one at Amon Hen, except that it makes things closer to home even larger than they really are.

From the Nazul Gaz seat of seeing—situated at the very apex crest of the golden horseshoe—the furthest thing you can see is the Inco Superstack in Sudbury—and only if you have really good eyesight in the first place. As viewed from the Big Smoke, most of rest of Ontario is smaller than an ant; most of the rest of Canada is smaller than an ant’s anus.

———

So the population ratio between Ontario and BC is around 2.87.

PEI’s population * 2.87 = 471,000

From 2014:

Number of ethnic Chinese in Toronto: 279,000
    Number of ethnic Chinese in Vancouver: 400,000
    Number of ethnic Chinese in the whole of Japan: 675,000
    Number of ethnic Chinese in New York City: 682,000

Having stepped down from Nazul Gaz, to a close order, comparing Ontario to BC is like comparing The People’s Republic of Richmond to PEI.

Perhaps spin Dr. Williams indulged in a Toy Story triple-header over the weekend, and he was comparing BC to PEI, including all the hard-of-hearing, new-sighted Yiddish spuds.

True story:

Mr Potato Head was offered the position of goalie for his high school hockey squad, but he was too afraid that the bulky goalie equipment made him look like a microwave-ready Pizza Pocket, so he went out for basketball, instead, and wound up playing point guard, but rarely came off the bench until deep in the playoffs with the infirmary stacking up.

After draining a clutch three-pointer to take the lead with the clock running out, the opposing coach challenged the legality of Mr Potato Head’s nasal prosthetic, which was then carefully measured by a concerned zebra posse (fortunately this was long before coronavirus).

After careful deliberation—and moving the chains twice—it was ruled to exceed the 12″ legal limit by an untrimmed nose hair, the crucial basket was removed from the score board, and a bench minor was assessed for embellishment, leaving the Hairy Canaanites in crushing command.

———

Twenty years later, Mr Potato Head recalls the incident as his having been hung out to dry for being too well … Dirk Digglered.

MPH: It was so large, I couldn’t even see my own nasal!

Nearby bar stool: You mean ‘navel’?

MPH: Yes yes, of course—’navel’—I merely misspoke.

Nearby bar stool: Well, I never adored myself in the mirror in that condition, so I couldn’t tell you about my six-pack sight lines.

MPH: Huh. You’re not from Toronto, are you?

Nearby bar stool: Of course not. Tell me, where do people in Toronto actually come from?

MPH: Uh—whuh—what do you mean?

Nearby bar stool: They sure don’t come from procreation, to hear you tell it.

MPH: Oh, right. I get you now. I didn’t get that either when I first arrived from Newfoundland. Mostly they come from abroad. China. Italy. Ukraine. North Africa. The Democratic—

Nearby bar stool: —Legion of Terrorized Peons. And once they get here, there’s some kind of Protestant fluoride in the water supply that inexorably leads to blissful self-regard, instead of actually—

MPH: —behaving like a bunch of frenzied Quebecers.

Nearby bar stool: Amazing you people manage to exchange any virus at all.

Having spoken the taboo word “Quebec” Mr Potato Head expectorates a giant loogie, somewhat in slow motion because, being rather starchy by nature, it takes a fair while for him to sufficiently flex his potato lungs.

Unfortunately, Mr Potato Head’s plump Joline lips weren’t precisely on straight, and the spittle refracts everywhere.

Nearby bar stool: On second thought, I stand thoroughly corrected.

MPH: Ooh—let me dab that for you.

Nearby bar stool: Please. Use. Gloves.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

Matheson with a nice profile on Phil Kemp today.

The thing I noted from it was when it mentioned how deep the Oilers are at D at the NHL and AHL level – one would think that may be a reason for Phil to think about signing elsewhere but his quote:

“They have a great defensive ore on the AHL team. Be awesome to be a part of that. I think I could learn a lot ant to be competing with the would be awesome.”.

Lets get this guy under contract in the spring!

71. OriginalPouzar says:

jp:

Agreed, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he stole the job from Skinner.

Would be great if he started his rookie pro career as a solid AHL starting tender but I would think that’s more the exception.

72. N64 says:

New Improved Darkness: Ont. 14 38.79
    B.C. 14 13.51
    Alta. 17 11.63
    Que. 19 22.55

Betchya 90% of Canadians would not have Alberta in the Quebec-Windsor Corridor of Urbanity and less rural than Quebec. Time to build that high speed train 😉

73. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: For me taking Kelly at 6 instead of good ole boy from Halkirk Doan at 7 still stings to this day.

Definitely a terrible choice but, in my opinion, Doan is one of the most over-rated players of the era – he was mentioned as a potential Hall of Fame candidate, like, really?

Great guy from all accounts, above average glue guy forward, nothing more.

Just my opinion.

74. OriginalPouzar says:

Darth Tu:
    N64,

I was listening to Oilers Now at lunch, Friedman was suggesting that it really wouldn’t be all that much of a surprise if we ended up with Edmonton and Toronto as the host cities.This was after saying that 2 weeks ago he was certain it would be Vancouver and Vegas.

We’ll see of course, I still think the league has a liking for the Vegas bid.All down to how the players feel about the safety of bubbles and risk from the virus working it’s way into said bubble.

Well, he did say that the league actually choose Vancouver and Vegas and took it to the players who approved it.

Health Authority sanfu at the last minute has altered the plan.

N64: Betchya 99% of Canadians would not havenot have Alberta in the Quebec-Windsor Corridor of Urbanity and less rural than Quebec. Time to build that high speed train 😉

High speed trains don’t solve the first and last mile problem.

76. N64 says:

godot10: Why do you need a high speed train when one will have a self-driving car pick you up at your doorstep in Edmonton and drop you off at your doorstep in Calgary over a smart highway between Edmonton and Calgary?

Exactly

77. OriginalPouzar says:

As long as they stay in their prescribed bubble (which will essentially be a resort hotel), cut off from the rest of the Vegas public, go for it.

78. OriginalPouzar says:

N64: ~ OP says Vegas will have way more staff in the bubble ~

That is important as those coming in to the bubble is where the leaks are likely to occur.

79. OriginalPouzar says:

Pescador: Which is the reason why some of the wives would prefer Vegas,
    Just sayin

The wives will not be in the bubble – at least not for the first while.

80. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar: The wives can still go to Vegas while the players are in the bubble in Edmonton, Toronto, Chicago or wherever else.

The wives will not be in the bubble – at least not for the first while.

Straight out of the Hockey Canada playbook

81. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar: Yup, from accounts, there will be less staff “leaving at night and coming back” in the Vegas bubble than any of the other proposed bubbles.

~ More Trouble in the Bubble ~

82. OriginalPouzar says:

As we get set for the lottery in 15 minutes, the following from McKenzie is good info:

If none of the 8 alpha-designated unknown teams (those which lose the 2020 play-in qualifier) win a top-three overall pick, Bill Daly’s countdown/flipping of cards will start at No. 7.

If one of the 8 unknown teams gets a top-three pick, the countdown/flip starts at 8.

If 2 of 8 unknown teams win a top-three pick in the draw, countdown/flipping starts at No. 9.

If 3 of 8 unknown teams win all three top picks, well, there won’t be much of a countdown. New top three would be unknown until a second draft lottery after the play-in qualifier.

————-

Lets hope it doesn’t start at 7 – let the chaos and speculation being!

New Jersey holds Arizona’s draft pick. So Taylor Hall has his work cut out for him. His most difficult lottery challenge yet. One of the mystery cards has to win the first lottery. Then Arizona has to lose in the play in round. And then Arizona/New Jersey has to win the 2nd lottery.

But if Arizona wins the playin round, he cannot really be blamed for not winning the lottery.

84. N64 says:

godot10:
    New Jersey holds Arizona’s draft pick.So Taylor Hall has his work cut out for him.His most difficult lottery challenge yet.One of the mystery cards has to win the first lottery.Then Arizona has to lose in the play in round.And then Arizona/New Jersey has to win the 2nd lottery.

Laughing for Lafreniere

Go Team H-A

85. Harpers Hair says:

The wives will not be in the bubble – at least not for the first while.

Yeah, that will work out great.

86. Bruce McCurdy says:

OriginalPouzar,

Ha, I was *just* thinking the countdown might as well start at #10 but this is even more specific. So we will know right Way how many Top 3 picks go to the play-in losers, even as we won’t know which one/s until later. (And which losers until Much later!🤓)

87. Reja says:

N64: Laughing for Lafreniere

I don’t know what outcome I should cheer for if it ends up being 1 or even 2 placeholders. When the Jets knock out Calgary and then they fluke off the lottery I will physically puke.

88. Bruce McCurdy says:

godot10:

I believe the pick Arizona traded to Jersey (for Hall himself) is lottery protected.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

8 cards – a placeholder will be in the top 3!!!!!

90. Gerta Rauss says:

BUF goes 8th….we have a play-in team in the top 3!!

Taylor Hall accomplishs the first task of three. Technically of four.

92. Gerta Rauss says:

..and they go to commercial with the top 3 TBA…. LOL

It’ll be OTT, LA and the placeholder in the top 3

93. OriginalPouzar says:

ANA picks 6th – did not win a lottery – good stuff.

Kings move in to the top 3 – blah.

Wings down to 4th – wow.

94. Reja says:

It’s getting exiting a placeholder is picking top 3.

95. Bruce McCurdy says:

One pick to the play-in losers. Enough to add some intrigue down the line, even if it turns out to be #3.

96. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Yeah, that will work out great.

What will work out great?

From recent accounts, families will not be part of the quarantine bubble at the beginning – not for the play-in round and, likely not for the 1st real playoff round either.

Where the players are to start should be somewhat meaningless for the families.

97. Gerta Rauss says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    One pick to the play-in losers.Enough to add something ntrigue down the line, even if it turns out to be #3.

I think the league will be please with this result…it’ll be crazy if it’s #1

98. Gerta Rauss says:

omg

99. OriginalPouzar says:

Senators drop to 3rd – 3rd and 5th.

100. Gerta Rauss says:

omg omg omg….the place holder wins the lotto

omg

101. OriginalPouzar says:

1st overall goes to a PLACEHOLDER.

Kings pick 2nd.

Taylor Hall accomplishes the 2nd task out of 4. The guy is money.

103. Reja says:

I knew it the fix is in.

104. OriginalPouzar says:

So each of the 8 teams that lose the play-in have a 12.5% chance of first overall.

105. Harpers Hair says:

Carey Price just pulled a groin.

106. Reja says:

Gerta Rauss:
    omg omg omg….the place holder wins the lotto

omg

I’m calling it right now the number 1 overall pick will go to the Blackhawks.

107. Reja says:

Who’s the girl doing the talking she looks like a nice Saskatchewan farm girl.

108. bsmart says:

Wow this was interesting, I thought 1 of the 3 would be in play to the next lottery round but I never expected it to be the first overall pick and the best player in the draft!!

109. leadfarmer says:

Well I think we’ve found that 3rd line center

110. Gerta Rauss says:

Elliot Friedman saying that’s he has heard the cap will be $81.5 next year, $81.5 the year after that, and possibly $82.5 in year 3

*edit-I may have heard that wrong, his beard is really distracting

111. gogliano says:

I’d trade the Oilers first round pick. Auction it to teams dreaming big. Then beat Chicago.

112. Harpers Hair says:

gogliano:
    I’d trade the Oilers first round pick.Auction it to teams dreaming big.Then beat Chicago.

Not possible.
    Only the teams out of the play in can make trades.

113. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: He could also very well be in the ECHL – lots of NHL starters started their pro careers in the ECHL.

Yes absolutely. The expected scenario, and the one best for the Oilers, is that Skinner takes a step forward and is a good AHL starter. Wells holds the backup job. Rodrigue doesn’t get a chance at the AHL and has a great ECHL year.

But Skinner wasn’t very good this year and if he doesn’t progress (and a vet isn’t signed) then it wouldn’t be surprising for Rodrigue to come in and win the Bakersfield starters job.

114. jp says:

Harpers Hair:
    Not possible.
    Only the teams out of the play in can make trades.

115. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: I’m calling it right now the number 1 overall pick will go to the Blackhawks.

I’d prefer an Eastern team but I’ll take that – Oilers move on.

116. OriginalPouzar says:

gogliano:

Trades not permitted as this point among post-season teams.

117. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: I thought teams in the playoffs (and play in) could make trades that don’t involve their roster players. I could be mistaken.

I think they’ve frozen all trades among post-season teams currently.

118. dustrock says:

Sorry just for those of us who started drinking too early – placeholder doesn’t hold the #1 spot. Just guaranteed a 2nd lottery for the losing play-in teams that will be done at some future point to determine #1 only and otherwise is by points percentage in regular season?

119. OriginalPouzar says:

As per McKenzie:

If the 2019-20 Return to Play does not occur for any reason, the teams with the 8th to 15th lowest points percentage at the pause would equal shots (12.5 per cent) at getting the No. 1 overall pick. Keep in mind, though, not all those teams may not own their first-round pick.

It’s my understanding it’s the eight worst point percentages OUTSIDE of those teams that were in playoff positions based on point percentages at the pause. So VAN and CGY would have been in the playoffs, hence they would not be lottery teams.

120. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar:
    As per McKenzie:

That’s what I don’t like about this whole process. Those teams have a shot at the playoffs when many were pretty much eliminated but if it doesn’t work out they get a good shot at the lottery.
    If no further play they need to treat the top 8 teams as playoff teams and the other 16 teams equally

121. OriginalPouzar says:

Pronman spoke with spoke with outgoing AHL president David Andrews about the league plans for next season. He also spoke with the NCHC and USHL leads as well but I’m focussing on the AHL.

I really really hope they can have a full AHL season – so important.

A few high points:

– they are planning on an October start but have models for November, December and January – mostly financial modelling

– owners and leaders are split on if they have to start lock-step with the NHL

– they are already fairly regionalized – would be tough to get further regionalized

– no fans is not viable as league is currently structured as a 31-team league

– they can be viable with some sort of limited capacity of fans but its different for different teams and they need to be in a position to have as many teams operational as possible

122. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:

No – the 8 teams that lose in the play-in will be in a 2nd lottery with equal odd and the winner gets the 1st overall.

123. ArmchairGM says:

Would you rather…

Draft #1 and get Lafreniere

~ or ~

Draft #30 and get Reichel?

124. N64 says:

ArmchairGM:
    Would you rather…

Draft #1 and get Lafreniere

~ or ~

Draft #30 and get Reichel?

Neither. Draft 31st

125. ArmchairGM says:

N64: Neither. Draft 31st

Oooo, too easy.

126. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

ArmchairGM:
    Would you rather…

Draft #1 and get Lafreniere

~ or ~

Draft #30 and get Reichel?

Draft #27 and get Bourque/Mysak

127. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM:
    Would you rather…

Draft #1 and get Lafreniere

~ or ~

Draft #30 and get Reichel?

I’ll take the run to the SCF

128. Scungilli Slushy says:

Elgin R:

But everyone says you can’t draft goalies first round. Too hard to read.

Yet, very often the difference makers are drafted there, like other positions.

The key is I think to recognize true ability from best in draft. Every draft year is different, and some cohorts aren’t NHL impact quality. Like Nuge and Yak’s draft years.

But if a team doesn’t have at least an NHL average goalie starter, we all know what that means.

Goalie is the most important position on the team. Even Connor can’t overcome a goalie that can’t consistently make NHL saves, as we have seen.

129. OriginalPouzar says:

Starting 4 years back (to allow for development) and the goalies chosen in the first round over the last 7-8 years

Vasilevskiy
    Subban
    Campbell
    PIckard

The following were chosen with the first pick in the 2nd round

Dansk
    Koskinan

130. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: I think they’ve frozen all trades among post-season teams currently.

131. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

LadiesloveSmid:

– Yeah : Imagine if they got Hamilton instead of Griff (who went for less)

– Despite the fail and panic trade for Griff, where Chia got the shaft from Green et al who wanted to right a wrong, that draft was a top-5 draft in last 10 years

– With those two other picks however, (or getting Hamilton, or Griff being an actual NHL top-4 D), it would have been one of the legendary drafts in the history of hockey

– Pete “wears” the Griff trade, but gets no credit for the team-changing outstanding draft: weird…

132. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

OriginalPouzar:

– Imagine the Oil losing in 1st round and getting 1st pick: LOL!

133. Victoria Oil says:

leadfarmer: That’s what I don’t like about this whole process.Those teams have a shot at the playoffs when many were pretty much eliminated but if it doesn’t work out they get a good shot at the lottery.

Agreed. For teams 17-24, it’s “heads I win, tails you lose”.

134. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– It’s Toronto and Vegas: Book it: hockey all day, every day two of the biggest markets.

ArmchairGM:
    Would you rather…

Draft #1 and get Lafreniere

~ or ~

Draft #30 and get Reichel?

Draft #31 and I won’t particularly care who they pick.

136. Ribs says:

CHAOS!!!

Love it.

137. €√¥£€^$ says:

In case anyone didn’t know, Team E was the actual team drawn for the 1st OV slot.

Seems too good to be true, sorry Taylor, Connor of Erie & Edmonton wins this one!

138. rickithebear says:

2 teams win championships:
    LT proved pennants matter!

1 team wins lottery:

1 Will take one of the three:

139. OilClog says:

Chris Pronger’s love of his life might disagree

140. Gerta Rauss says:

€√¥£€^$:

Edmonton starts with an E

#justkidding

=========
    more on the lottery here

The San Jose pick won the lottery pick #3 for Ottawa
    Detroit was the biggest loser

141. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: Thanks, I didn’t realize. They’re normally allowed aren’t they? (as long as roster players aren’t involved)

Normally, yes, I believe, but we are far from normal….

142. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: Normally, yes, I believe, but we are far from normal….

Yes that’s absolutely true.

Any idea why no trades THIS year though? I’d be curious to know the rationale. I’m having a hard time thinking of a reason why to prohibit non-roster trades… (maybe since there was uncertainty, initially, on which teams would even be involved in the play-in/playoffs?)

143. defmn says:

jp: Yes that’s absolutely true.

Expanded rosters for the playoffs? Just a guess.

You could trade for a non-roster player on another team and then add him to your roster if they didn’t prohibit it.

144. jp says:

defmn: Expanded rosters for the playoffs? Just a guess.

Yeah, could be. Thanks.