Wings

For most of a decade, four general managers have spent time trying to ‘build up the middle’ to create an Edmonton Oilers team that has a strong base at center, defense and in goal. High draft picks spent on Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Oscar Klefbom, Darnell Nurse, Leon Draisaitl, Connor McDavid, Ethan Bear, Evan Bouchard and Philip Broberg all chosen with an eye to improving at center or defense.

During those same years, the team has procured and then sent away some stunning skill wingers. It’s really incredible to look at (say) the 2015-16 team and see it erode over just a couple of seasons. Believe it or not, the 2019-20 winger shuffle represents a significant recovery from recent seasons.

THE ATHETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

• New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers notebook: Bear’s contract quandary, Broberg’s mini camp, bubble goalies
  • New Lowetide: Jesse Puljujarvi’s comparables suggest a possible future with Oilers
  • New Jonathan Willis: Every Oilers AHL prospect rated by how close they are to the NHL
  • Lowetide: Setting the record straight on Oilers prospect Cooper Marody’s future
  • Lowetide: Tough decisions face Oilers’ Ken Holland as cap forces painful choices
  • Lowetide: How Oilers winger Kailer Yamamoto can increase his value
  • Lowetide: Everything you forgot (but need to know) about Oilers’ 2019-20 season
  • Eric Duhatschek: Q&A: Wayne Gretzky on making whisky, learning to like IPAs and loving cheap wine
  • Lowetide: Injury is biggest factor in the Oilers’ hopes for extended playoff run
  • Lowetide: Tyler Benson’s struggle to score might affect future role with Oilers
  • Lowetide: Ken Holland’s second Oilers draft should deliver high-octane offence
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘It’s all surreal’: Kevin Lowe’s Hall of Fame nod nets surprise and satisfaction
  • Lowetide: 10 things to look for at Oilers training camp and the 2020 playoffs
  • Lowetide: Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones and the Oilers’ need for veteran insurance
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Why the Oilers should protect these 8 skaters in the Seattle expansion draft
  • Jonathan Willis: Why Carl Soderberg is an intriguing free agent possibility for the Oilers
  • Lowetide: Oilers prospect Raphael Lavoie’s possible impact in his first year pro

2015-16

This is a great list of wingers, from a brilliant skill player who could push the river (Hall) to a legit first-shot scorer (Eberle) through big men with good hands (Maroon, Kassian), wily veterans who found a way to score (Pouliot, Purcell) to young Yakupov. Hall-Eberle and Pouliot-Purcell is a contender for the best set of four skill wingers since McDavid arrived.

2016-17

This is the playoff team, no winger is over 2.00 per 60. It’s a pretty massive turnover, Hall and Purcell are out and Pouliot is well down the depth chart. Eberle remains and is productive although not at the 2015-16 level. Patrick Maroon continued to be a great fit on McDavid’s portside, and Zack Kassian showed more than men like Lucic and Caggiula. Lucic and Slepyshev had some playoff success with Draisaitl at center.

One day when I’m retired I will write the Pollock book and then focus on the complicated relationship between three men: Peter Chiarelli, Todd McLellan and Jesse Puljujarvi. Two of those three men were uncertain JP belonged in the NHL in 2016-17 and the other guy was Chiarelli. Pretty sure.

2017-18

Draisaitl is on the wing and delivering big offense with McDavid, but the rest is a bit of a mess. Aberg played less than 25 percent of the season, Cammalleri was long past his prime but undoubtedly one of the most skilled wingers, and Maroon was clearly good enough to play on skill lines. Lucic, Kassian and Puljujarvi, expected to carry some of the offensive load, are also in photo.

2018-19

This is what spending the last dime of your cap dollars on Kris Russell does to your wingers. Chiarelli said several times during his time with the Oilers that wingers were easier to find. He must have been talking about other general managers. PC’s two big bets on the wing from 2016 summer, Lucic and Puljujarvi, slide all the way down the depth chart. Don’t blame the kid, the 2018-19 season should have been his rookie campaign in the NHL.

2019-20

New coach means some time figuring out what is on the roster. Credit Dave Tippett with finding out about several men in the first half and then recognizing Kailer Yamamoto was more talented than any other right winger on the roster. Nugent-Hopkins moved over from center, Kassian enjoyed his best season by some margin.

Acquiring Anthanasiou and Ennis at the deadline probably means the end of James Neal in the top six forwards, Alex Chiasson also trending that way. One or both might be able to land on a third line, the question is who is the center? Tippett liked Khaira’s work in the middle late in the year. The 2019-20 Oilers had three men over 2.00/60 at five on five, the highest number to reach the plateau since 2015-16.

JAKE DEBRUSK

A story out of Boston (via Edmonton) has Jake DeBrusk’s next contract as a point of interest. He has not been able to duplicate a rookie season that saw him post 2.38 points per 60 at five on five, falling off to 1.81 as a sophomore and 1.65 in 2019-20. Meanwhile he has scored eight and seven goals respectively in the last two years on the power play. If he’s available, Oilers should pursue. He would be a dandy winger for McDavid.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Much to discuss on the Lowdown this morning, we start at 10, TSN1260. Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey at the Edmonton Journal will discuss the Oilers playoff hopes and possible lines/pairings and key players. Joe Osborne from OddsSharks will discuss betting the long shot on all of these returning leagues plus name change for the Washington NFL team. 10-1260 text @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

178 Responses to "Wings"

1. PennersPancakes says:

RE – Jake Debrusk

Bring Lil Lou home. I wonder what the acquisition cost is, I have faith in AA that he can pop and be a strong offensive thought but Debrusk seems like a more surefire thing.

I dont know that the Oilers can afford him in a fair trade but maybe its time they swindle a team for once.

2. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

I would 100% support pursuing DeBrusk if he’s actually available! Seems to have the kind of toolset I’d want in a McDavid winger.

3. Brantford Boy says:

LT: “This is what spending the last dime of your cap dollars on Kris Russell does to your wingers.”

You’re on fire as of late… good one!

I read the article the other day on Jake DeBrusk… in my opinion, no thanks… aim higher at that price point… he is excellent on the PP though.

4. Elgin R says:

DeBrusk is not going anywhere unless another team overpays for him in a trade. He has no arbitration rights so Boston just qualifies him and he can choose to play in the NHL for Boston or not (same as JP). There is some value in his PP usage, however do the Oilers need this? No they do not, he would not get a sniff on the PP in Edmonton.

Holland made his big bet on AA. Need to see AA in the playoffs when he is healthy. Note: DeBrusk career and playoff numbers are better than AA. However, DRW are not the Bruins.

Do the Oilers have the assets to go after DeBrusk? Oilers have extra D, however a review of the Boston roster indicates that that is not an area of need. Conclusion: Holland to pursue and acquire only if it is a steal.

5. hunter1909 says:

Get good players. Keep good players.

Reminds me of my coaching career that had me identify the best player then stick him in the most important situations.

Oilers look in great shape going forward, so long as Tippet and KH stick around.

No room to protect DeBrusk in the expansion draft.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, Yamamoto

Klefbom, Nurse, Bear, Jones.

So it is pointless to use assets to attempt to acquire him.

I expect Nugent-Hopkins to be signed before the expansion draft. Nugent-Hopkins >> DeBrusk

Nuge isn’t going to leave just as the fun starts.

7. LadiesloveSmid says:

godot10,

I wonder if they will protect Jones over 3 more forwards.

Say Athanasiou, Benson (?), and maybe an acquisition next year.

Is Jones even slated to start the play-ins vs Chicago? I’m a big fan of his, wonder how much Edmonton is.

8. dustrock says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    godot10,

I wonder if they will protect Jones over 3 more forwards.

Say Athanasiou, Benson (?), and maybe an acquisition next year.

This is fair. It all depends on Jones in the next year I think ( as well as Benson, et al).

Unless Benson is really moving the needle next year is he honestly worth protecting?

9. JimmyV1965 says:

godot10:
    No room to protect DeBrusk in the expansion draft.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, Yamamoto

Klefbom, Nurse, Bear, Jones.

So it is pointless to use assets to attempt to acquire him.

I expect Nugent-Hopkins to be signed before the expansion draft.Nugent-Hopkins >> DeBrusk

Nuge isn’t going to leave just as the fun starts.

I’m not advocating a trade for Debrusk, but I’ll push back against the notion that you can’t use assets to acquire new players because you have to expose them in the expansion draft. We are going to lose a good player in the expansion draft; that’s the reality of the situation. If we trade for a new player, it simply expands the pool of players available to Seattle. Instead of having two or three good players unprotected, we have three or four good players unprotected. The only scenario where a trade hurts a team is if they go from zero good players unprotected to one good player unprotected. If this is the case for the Oil, our team is not nearly as good as we think.

LadiesloveSmid:
    godot10,

I wonder if they will protect Jones over 3 more forwards.

Say Athanasiou, Benson (?), and maybe an acquisition next year.

Wingers, in the cap-constrained world for the next few years, will be easy to find. Chiarelli was incompetent. Holland is not.

Defensemen are exceedily difficult to find.

A weak defense is the only thing that can undermine a McDavid-Draisaitl juggernaut.

11. Jordan says:

LT

Yesterday you’d asked about people’s thoughts about Perrault

He sounds a lot like a player who’s got some maturity and consistency issues, but has all the skills to be an ELITE scorer at the NHL level. Especially if he’s playing with one of Nuge, Drai or McDavid.

He’s a player I would be very happy to be able to pick at 20 because of the upside. I especially like that he’s already 200lbs and not yet 6 ft tall – will have a lot of strength on that frame, which our top 6 can use, and the shot would be a great compliment with either of McDavid’s, Nuge’s or Drai’s passes.

Plus there’s his father’s pedigree – should be a safe bet to make the NHL as at least a middle 6 forward.

If we’re talking about safe picks with upside, I really like Perrault. This impression is only from what I have read and seen on videos though – no first hand info here.

12. dustrock says:

Jordan,

If it came down to Mysak or Perrault, who do you pick?

Gonna be a weird year and I’m not going to pin down hard targets until I know where the Oilers are picking, but with Perrault’s shot you have to include him in the mix.

13. Rondo says:

Jordan,

Perreault could be an excellent pick #20, he has a great shot. One thing I worry about is he’s not a 200 ft player and sometimes is lazy. If you think this isn’t a character flaw then a great pick.

14. Ribs says:

Jesse Puljujarvi’s ‘comps’ are few but have played in the NHL in a two-way role. Perhaps that’s his destiny. Here’s a look.

Convincing young players to fall into two-way roles has proven to be very difficult for the Oilers over the years. I still shake my head over the use of Cogliano. Here’s hoping Tippett has the magic touch!

15. Rondo says:

Hendrix Lapierre
    Noel Gunler
    Mavrik Bourque
    Lukas Reichel

Kaiden Guhle
    Braden Schneider

As I have it now, I’d prefer Bourque and Amirov. Gunler and Reichel are interesting too.

In another world, I’d take a flyer on Lapierre but the Oilers can’t afford another oft-injured player who has lost crucial development time. I’m not convinced Lapierre goes in the first just because of the injuries and the pandemic.

I need to read more on Reichel.

Guhle and Schneider are interesting but I think the Oilers need a forward with their first.

17. Jordan says:

Rondo:
    Jordan,

Perreault could be an excellent pick #20, he has a great shot. One thing I worry about is he’s not a 200 ft player and sometimes is lazy. If you think this isn’t acharacter flaw then a great pick.

dustrock:
    Jordan,

If it came down to Mysak or Perrault, who do you pick?

I was tempted to note something in my original post about hard it would be to pick between a lot of players that we’ve identified here over the last couple of months, but decided not to to keep in concise and keep me from rambling, but.. here we go anyways 😉 .

Just my 2 cents on how i’d dig into Perrault’s inconsistency. If it was me, I’d have a conversation with him and his coach this year (and past years) and clarify if there are any trends about when he plays with that passion and when he doesn’t. Looks like someone who likes offense and not defense, but could be a bad read on my part. Same thing with his skating – sometimes he’s buzzing and sometimes not. Maybe it’s something he can learn – that intensity. If it’s a commitment to play a 200 ft game to play on the top lines, or play 3rd, 4th, pressbox or AHL… I think it’s something he’ll figure out. Especially with Tippett coaching. Guy seems to build trust with people well, so that would help him buying into the 200 ft game leads to offense (which Perrault seems to have a passion for).

As far as who to pick… People talk about safe picks and reach picks, but for me, this is about fit and need. An elite scoring winger would be a really nice add to the current group. It will be harder to get one through trade than a good 3C, and a free agent 3C would be cheaper than a scoring winger too.

Perrault wouldn’t be a good 3C in my opinion, but could be an elite 1W or 2W, depending on development and chemistry. Trying to get guys who can be elite is at something is a good plan because from what I’ve seen, its easier to build other skills up to be acceptable than it is to take a good skill and make it great or elite after the fact.

And we have a need for this kind of player.

Who would I pick between Mysak and Perrault? I’m torn – based on tools, it sounds like Perrault has a better shot and a better skating stride, but some consistency issues. Mysak sounds like a better distributer (comparted to Perrault) has stronger drive, but might have more skating issues due to the skating style. He’s also smaller physically, which may make him less durable compared to Perrault. I think Mysak might be the safer pick in that he’s more likely to reach potential, but Perrault looks like the prospect with the higher ceiling.

Both would be good picks for the Oil, as I could see them filling the same hole. I’d take Perrault. It’s a bit of a coin flip IMO.

18. theWaxCollector says:

Is it in agreement that we are protecting 4-4-1 during the expansion?

I personally feel they should only protect Klefbom, Bear, Jones, and Bouchard (exempt) on d, and pick the best 7 forwards we got. Nurse is 1 year away from UFA. If the GM knows Nurse will resign with us anyway, he’ll pass over due to risk.

And in regards to the post yesterday regarding lines.. I’d put Benning in over Green because Benning lays huge hits, probably 1 every 2 games.

With no crowd, I think that will have a greater positive effect on the oilers winning than what Green brings. The oilers need to create their own momentum and drive during this run, hits definitely help.

That plus increased mobility and the pick conditions associated with Green playing, it’s a no brainer imo.

19. defmn says:

The only way I can see the Oilers being interested in DeBrusk is if they know RNH isn’t going to sign another contract here. Holland is going to give AA at least most of next season to show he is a top 6 LW and if Debrusk is available he will be traded long before then.

I think ELGIN R is correct, though, in saying that with no arbitration rights Boston will just wait for DeBrusk to come to terms with his options which are not great and then sign him.

20. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

Rondo:
    Some of these guys would available at #20 if that’s where Oilers pick

Rodion Amirov
    Jacob Perreault
    Hendrix Lapierre
    Noel Gunler
    Mavrik Bourque
    Lukas Reichel

Kaiden Guhle
    Braden Schneider

Bourque, Reichel, and Mysak; in that order. The rest don’t appear on my radar in this range for a variety of reasons. Perreault and Lapierre in particular don’t even register for me.

21. Ribs says:

Is there anyone from the north west that is complaining about the Eskimos name? Or is it all coming from the east? There are people in the west who identify as Eskimos because the word “Inuit” is not used in their language. The word is regularly used in many communities in their stores and business names . We’ve seen countless interviews of people who reside in the area being perfectly fine with the football club’s name and with many who have openly expressed their full support for it.

The recent loud voices are telling people that it isn’t up to them to decide what others should be offended by, and then they are doing exactly that in their next breath.

This is a difficult situation because the word isn’t universally recognised as being derogatory and in some places is actually used pridefully. It also is not a term saved expressly for the people of a determined region or race.

The Edmonton Eskimos have always provided a positive vehicle to promote the people of the north’s culture and have always went to extensive lengths to keep communication open with them. If they change the name, so be it (it’s just a football team after all!), but I think it’s opportunity lost for both northern Canada and the CFL to promote the culture of the people the team is named after.

Changing the name seems to be the easiest, least messy answer and looks to be inevitable at this point. I do hope they go with something better than “Empire” or “Elks”, though!

22. Material Elvis says:

Eskimos are under pressure from sponsors to change their name. The writing is in the wall — they should be proactive. Roughriders would be a great choice! What about Esks? Is that offensive? I liked the name Eddies back in the day. Evolution? Empire? Elephants? Electric Eels?

23. Material Elvis says:

theWaxCollector:
    Is it in agreement that we are protecting 4-4-1 during the expansion?

You want the expose Nurse in the expansion draft in order to protect a bottom six forward? Strong NO.

24. OriginalPouzar says:

I was intrigued by the Donskoi comparison in the Puljujarvi piece at The Athletic – Jesse with better production in Liiiga while being a year younger is nice to see.

I would love to see some comparisons for his AHL production as well – I mean, not many 18 year olds play in the AHL and 28 points in 39 games in the AHL as the youngest player in North American professional hockey is damn impressive.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

The silly verbal that “Pouliot takes too many bad penalties” that helped drive him out of Edmonton is up there with the misconception that “Petry doesn’t play physical enough” which helped drive him out of Edmonton.

Blah!

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Interesting that Kass had a solid P/60 ini 2016/17 – i checked and he played mostly with Letestu and Pouliot and then Hendricks.

In due course, I look for a more “dynamic” 1RW for McDavid in the next few years and have Kassian add that size, speed, skill and aggression to the 3rd line – he can produce in the middle six away from McDavid it seems.

A “real 1RW”, Yamamoto at 2RW, Kass at 3RW and Archie at 4RW – that is championship depth

27. OriginalPouzar says:

I agree that James Neal is “out of the top 6” for the playoffs – based on his 5 on 5 work this season (and last), it makes sense that both AA and Ennis are ahead of him. Of course, Neal’s toe hampered his skating but I think he starts down the lineup as Coach T. has talked about.

With that said, if Ennis/AA struggle with McDavid and Neal is skating well like I expect him too, I could see him with some 1LW time – lets hope that doesn’t happen and one of the “quicker” wingers work with Connor and Zack.

28. OriginalPouzar says:

I would love some Jake DeBrusk on the Oilers.

Of course, acquisition cost and cap hit…….

29. theWaxCollector says:

Material Elvis,

I’d be willing to bet the GM of Seattle doesn’t choose an unexposed Nurse if he knows he’s only getting a year out of him, than he’s signing back with us. If that gamble meant maintaining the rights to Athanasiou, etc. I’d risk it.

30. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Material Elvis:
    Eskimos are under pressure from sponsors to change their name.The writing is in the wall — they should be proactive.Roughriders would be a great choice!What about Esks?Is that offensive?I liked the name Eddies back in the day.Evolution? Empire? Elephants? Electric Eels?

How about… the Edmonton Exterminators!

….half joking. But realistically, there aren’t many good options that start with “E”.

31. Ribs says:

I think they should continue the trend from Ottawa…

The Edmonton Green Golds!

32. hunter1909 says:

theWaxCollector: Would you select Nurse if you were Seattle and had verbal he was going to resign with the oilers?

Would you lend me your car, because I’m promising not to crash it into a telephone pole?

33. Material Elvis says:

Ribs:
    I think they should continue the trend from Ottawa…

The Edmonton Green Golds!

Sounds too close to Gringos. Probably offend someone….

34. fireantz says:

Crazy Pedestrian,

As a Rider fan, may I suggest the Edmonton Evil!!!

35. Material Elvis says:

theWaxCollector:
    Material Elvis,

The player cannot make a promise like that. The current team cannot make a promise like that. A lot of things can change over the course of a year. And Nurse would be rightfully pissed off that the Oilers didn’t protect him. Yes, I would take Nurse if he was exposed in the expansion draft. Absolute no brainer.

36. Material Elvis says:

Crazy Pedestrian: What about Eagles? Are they allowed to use it or would there be copyright issues with the Philadelphia Eagles?

How about… the Edmonton Exterminators!

Definitely hard to find good E names. Environmentalists. Expos. Exhibitionists. Extortionists.

37. Ribs says:

Material Elvis: Sounds too close to Gringos.Probably offend someone….

Gah! You’re right. Is Roughriders taken?

38. ArmchairGM says:

theWaxCollector: Is it in agreement that we are protecting 4-4-1 during the expansion?

No. But I can’t get behind your idea of leaving Nurse exposed.

39. ArmchairGM says:

theWaxCollector:
    Material Elvis,

Absolutely. Imagine the deadline return for a rental Nurse.

40. dustrock says:

I appreciate that “Eskimos” is not as obviously problematic as something like “Redskins”, but to me, it can’t pass the “is it at all possible a new sports team could be named this in 2020?”

I get the history behind it. I feel the same way about the Black Hawks.

41. Side says:

Edmonton Brogan Raffertys

Not sure if there is a rule about naming your team after a deity though.

42. Reja says:

theWaxCollector:
    Material Elvis,

If he’s exposed he’s getting picked. If he doesn’t want to be the Captain and sign a 8 year fat contract with fresh money then I’ll trade him for a bag of goodies and get way more value then what a A.A is worth.

43. JimmyV1965 says:

I’m pretty sure if the Esks change their name, it will be the Empires. I thought this was common knowledge.

Material Elvis: Definitely hard to find good E names.Environmentalists. Expos.Exhibitionists.Extortionists.

Edmonton Extreme or Edmonton Extremo

Eskies works too, which is a type of dog.

45. Side says:

Edmonton Eskinomos

46. fireantz says:

theWaxCollector,

Who are the seven forwards we can’t afford to loose after RNH, Yamo, McD and Drai? Certainly no more centres and on wing AA hasnt proven anything yet. Wait til the season plays out before protecting Jones AA or Kassian. I expect a great deal of UFAs on the market in an extremely tight cap situation. Count on KH finding a couple of gems to fill the wings. I offer Puljujarvi to Seattle if we can’t sign or trade him

47. Munny says:

Material Elvis,

The Edmonton Electric Elvises.

48. Reja says:

Side:
    Edmonton Eskinomos

Edmonton Emasculators.

49. Munny says:

Being a data-based site, I think we have to go with the Edmonton Empiricists.

People will think it’s about empire but we’ll know better.

50. pts2pndr says:

JimmyV1965: I’m not advocating a trade for Debrusk, but I’ll push back against the notion that you can’t use assets to acquire new players because you have to expose them in the expansion draft.We are going to lose a good player in the expansion draft; that’s the reality of the situation. If we trade for a new player, it simply expands the pool of players available to Seattle.Instead of having two or three good players unprotected, we have three or four good players unprotected. The only scenario where a trade hurts a team is if they go from zero good players unprotected to one good player unprotected.If this is the case for the Oil, our team is not nearly as good as we think.

51. Jordan says:

godot10: Edmonton Extreme or Edmonton Extremo

Eskies works too, which is a type of dog.

People really need to expand the list of nouns they’re looking at

Edmonton Evilords (This is by far the best name. MUA HA HA HA HA!)
    Edmonton Empanadas (Should provide better food options at the game, right?)
    Edmonton Eggheads (Smartest guys in the room, why not the field?)
    Edmonton Ecstasy (Because we want to be high in the stand.., ings right?)
    Edmonton Eagles (LT’s vote)
    Edmonton Eclipse (Bruce’s favourite, right?)
    Edmonton Eggplants (I hate it too)
    Edmonton Earthworms (The everyman team name if there ever was one)
    Edmonton Echidnas (So cute – who’d want to tackle one? Free wins?)
    Edmonton Emperors (Why not go with this instead of Empire?)
    Edmonton Editor’s (But only if there’s an unnecessary apostrophe to drive the real editors mad)
    Edmonton Educators (because getting schooled is important)
    Edmonton Electricity (yes, it’s shocking)

That’s all I’ve got today – I’m not doing the common ones – they’ve been done to death.

52. rogue says:

Edmonton Exlax……They flow thru everybody.

53. Harpers Hair says:

How about… the Edmonton Exterminators!

Edmonton Envious (of the Stampeders)

54. Material Elvis says:

Munny:
    Material Elvis,

The Edmonton Electric Elvises.

Nice!

55. Material Elvis says:

Harpers Hair: Edmonton Envious (of the Stampeders)

Actually pretty funny.

56. hunter1909 says:

How about the…

Edmonton Pork Chops!!

Okay so it’s still just a little racist but hey…

57. Material Elvis says:

Jordan: People really need to expand the list of nouns they’re looking at

Edmonton Evilords (This is by far the best name. MUA HA HA HA HA!)
    Edmonton Empanadas (Should provide better food options at the game, right?)
    Edmonton Eggheads (Smartest guys in the room, why not the field?)
    Edmonton Ecstasy (Because we want to be high in the stand.., ings right?)
    Edmonton Eagles (LT’s vote)
    Edmonton Eclipse (Bruce’s favourite, right?)
    Edmonton Eggplants (I hate it too)
    Edmonton Earthworms (The everyman team name if there ever was one)
    Edmonton Echidnas (So cute – who’d want to tackle one?Free wins?)
    Edmonton Emperors (Why not go with this instead of Empire?)
    Edmonton Educators (because getting schooled is important)
    Edmonton Electricity (yes, it’s shocking)

I think you should be in contact with the team executive. There’s some quality in that list.

58. Harpers Hair says:

Side:
    Edmonton Brogan Raffertys

Not sure if there is a rule about naming your team after a deity though.

The other Brogan Rafferty was a serial killer.

That might work.

pts2pndr: Rather than protect 4-4-1 the smart play is to trade Jones if his value is so high and protect 6-3-1.

The Oilers don’t have more than four forwards worth protecting who are not replaceable. Wingers are much easier to find than young top 4D. Jones’s contract also in a cap contrained world also makes him more irreplaceable than than of the Oiler forwards.

60. Munny says:

The Edmonton Unoffensives…

…so it can be true both on and off the field.

61. Side says:

Harpers Hair: The other Brogan Rafferty was a serial killer.

That might work.

Hopefully Craigslist isn’t a sponsor.

62. pts2pndr says:

Material Elvis: The player cannot make a promise like that.The current team cannot make a promise like that.A lot of things can change over the course of a year.And Nurse would be rightfully pissed off that the Oilers didn’t protect him.Yes, I would take Nurse if he was exposed in the expansion draft.Absolute no brainer.

If you took Nurse and couldn’t sign him by the trade deadline he would bring back a first round draft choice from one of the teams in a hunt for a cup.

63. OriginalPouzar says:

Gregor reporting only 1 exhibition game per team once they get to the Phase 4 secure zone.

May be some interesting broadcast enhancements – little details on that though.

Players vote is on-going and the board of governors have a call Friday afternoon to ratify (that will be a rubber stamp though from accounts).

64. Victoria Oil says:

dustrock:

I get the history behind it.I feel the same way about the Black Hawks.

The Blackhawks sent out a message recently that they won’t be changing their name. The name comes from Black Hawk, a Native American leader. The team is also looking to promote awareness of Native American culture.

65. Reja says:

godot10: The Oilers don’t have more than four forwards worth protecting who are not replaceable.Wingers are much easier to find than young top 4D.Jones’s contract also in a cap contrained world also makes him more irreplaceable than than of the Oiler forwards.

Cheap top 4 Dees are one of the most valuable commodities in the league. Holland knows it as well as 31 other G.M’s

66. meanashell11 says:

How about the Edmonton Huskies.

67. pts2pndr says:

godot10:
    No room to protect DeBrusk in the expansion draft.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, Yamamoto

Klefbom, Nurse, Bear, Jones.

So it is pointless to use assets to attempt to acquire him.

Nuge isn’t going to leave just as the fun starts.

Depends if they resign Larson. Right shot D are hard to find.?

68. OriginalPouzar says:

PennersPancakes:
    RE – Jake Debrusk

As of right now, the Oilers may have enough cap space to re-sign the important incumbents (Bear, AA, Benning or Green, back-up goalie).

To the extent there is an external acquisition, I would think essentially equal cap would have to go out.

69. OriginalPouzar says:

Elgin R:
    DeBrusk is not going anywhere unless another team overpays for him in a trade.He has no arbitration rights so Boston just qualifies him and he can choose to play in the NHL for Boston or not (same as JP).There is some value in his PP usage, however do the Oilers need this?No they do not, he would not get a sniff on the PP in Edmonton.

Holland made his big bet on AA.Need to see AA in the playoffs when he is healthy.Note:DeBrusk career and playoff numbers are better than AA.However, DRW are not the Bruins.

Do the Oilers have the assets to go after DeBrusk?Oilers have extra D, however a review of the Boston roster indicates that that is not an area of need.Conclusion:Holland to pursue and acquire only if it is a steal.

I agree that DeBrusk isn’t need for the Oilers PP but I’m not sure I agree with Boston’s strategy you propose.

Sure, they could just qualify him and not offer him a higher contract but that is essentially the case with any RFA, in particular without arbitration rights. While DeBrusk is no superstar, he also isn’t a “Gritensity” player that gets treated that way. Boston will qualify him and likely offer him a reasonable contract well over his QO.

At least I would think.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:
    No room to protect DeBrusk in the expansion draft.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, Yamamoto

Klefbom, Nurse, Bear, Jones.

So it is pointless to use assets to attempt to acquire him.

Nuge isn’t going to leave just as the fun starts.

Yup – while DeBrusk is intriguing – using expansion draft exempt assets to acquire a player needed of protection, at this point, should only be done with great diligence.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    godot10,

I wonder if they will protect Jones over 3 more forwards.

Say Athanasiou, Benson (?), and maybe an acquisition next year.

We’ve discussed this quite a bit over the last little while.

I can definitely see Jones being worthy of that protected slot but, of course, it depends on how next season goes and how he progresses.

Russell may start the playoffs but I think most on here believe that Jones is the better play and outplayed Rusty in 2020. Either way, I expect some solid additional progression from Jones next year and he may even solidify himself as a top 4 guy. We’ll see though.

Its fun to talk about the expansion draft and on potential strategy but there are so many moving parts that go in the determination:

– Jones’ development/progression
    – Does AA bounce back to 20 plus goals
    – Does Benson “pop”
    – Is Nuge re-signed

72. healthyscratch says:

I’m surprised these teams aren’t jumping at the potential revenue windfall of selecting new names. Imagine every fan buying new jerseys, hats, jackets, etc. within a short period of time.

73. Harpers Hair says:

The Ivy League has scrapped all fall sports including hockey, football and basketball.

They will review things in January.

This will leave many drafted NCAA hockey players with nowhere to play this season and I expect there will be a waterfall effect on other American college hockey leagues.

Canucks top prospect Jack Rathbone spoke about this yesterday saying this will likely influence his decision to sign an ELC and hope to either make the team or play in the AHL if there is a season.

74. Fuge Udvar says:

I figured they will be trading whatever asset is required to guarantee which player gets picked. I still like to imagine we gave up the 16th and 31st to Vegas when I can’t sleep at night.

75. ArmchairGM says:

Reja: Edmonton Emasculators.

Edmonton Eviscerators.

Seriously though, why does it have to start with an E? Just to keep the logo?

76. Fuge Udvar says:

How about the Edmonton Employment Insurers. They are already the most popular guys around

77. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar: Neal is skating well like I expect him too,

He can skate all he wants, but its still 2020 and the cosmic triple whammy of Neal not scoring, Covid, and murder hornets.

78. OriginalPouzar says:

Steve Kozari one of the referees named to the Edmonton hub – ugh.

79. Reja says:

ArmchairGM: Edmonton Eviscerators.

Seriously though, why does it have to start with an E? Just to keep the logo?

Edmonton Snowflakes.

80. ArmchairGM says:

Anyways, we’ll know more in a year. In the highly unlikely event Jones actually surpasses one of Nurse or Klefbom next season, there are plenty of teams that would be glad to grab either one and add them to their protected list.

81. N64 says:

JimmyV1965:

They’ve been building the Empire brand as the replacement.

~ Seems like a fair compromise. Offend Inuit who said to keep the name while offending the woke with the new “colonialist” name:~ #empirestrikesback

82. OriginalPouzar says:

theWaxCollector:
    Is it in agreement that we are protecting 4-4-1 during the expansion?

There is almost zero chance Francis will pass over a free Darnell Nurse signed to a reasonable cap hit for another year.

I’m thinking an unprotected Darnell Nurse will not choose to re-sign with the Oilers the following year and, well, I want Darnell Nurse at $5M on the Oilers for the 2020/21 season and, if he needs to be moved for cap space and asset acquisition (or Holland decides that’s the course of action), material assets could be received in a trade.

I am highly confident that leaving Nurse unprotected is not something that has even crossed Holland’s mind.

83. Reja says:

ArmchairGM: Not really. Samorukov and Broberg are coming, while Lagesson and Lennstrom could probably step in to 3LD right now.

Say what you want about Craig and Pete’s managing skills but they set Holland up with one of the best grapevines of D in the league. Now it’s up to Holland to see who the keepers are and to get value for some of the others as there’s only so many seats at the dance. I say within 6 months one of Larsson, kelfbom or Nurse are no longer here it’ll probably be Larsson.

84. N64 says:

Reja: Edmonton Snowflakes.

Edmonton Emission.

N64: Edmonton Emission.

Ask Disney if we can call them the Edmonton Ewoks.

86. OriginalPouzar says:

theWaxCollector:
    Material Elvis,

I am willing to bet that Francis would jump at the chance to get Nurse for free.

Even if there was a “verbal” that he would re-sign at Edmonton – the asset haul at the deadline from a playoff team would be significant.

Also, where is this verbal coming from? Do you think Nurse is going to agree to be left exposed to go play in Seattle for a year and then come back? I think Nurse wants to try and win a cup with the Oilers in 2021/22.

87. OriginalPouzar says:

100%.

Edmonton Excaliburs…Edmonton Exkies

89. OriginalPouzar says:

As HH alluded to yesterday, Ivy League about to cancel all sports until 2021.

Ughhhh – what do we think Phil Kemp does?

AHL contract for one year? Europe? Does he get an ELC?

90. Justthestatsman says:

Jordan: People really need to expand the list of nouns they’re looking at

Edmonton Evilords (This is by far the best name. MUA HA HA HA HA!)
    Edmonton Empanadas (Should provide better food options at the game, right?)
    Edmonton Eggheads (Smartest guys in the room, why not the field?)
    Edmonton Ecstasy (Because we want to be high in the stand.., ings right?)
    Edmonton Eagles (LT’s vote)
    Edmonton Eclipse (Bruce’s favourite, right?)
    Edmonton Eggplants (I hate it too)
    Edmonton Earthworms (The everyman team name if there ever was one)
    Edmonton Echidnas (So cute – who’d want to tackle one?Free wins?)
    Edmonton Emperors (Why not go with this instead of Empire?)
    Edmonton Educators (because getting schooled is important)
    Edmonton Electricity (yes, it’s shocking)

I think “Empanadas” is the winner. The mascot would be awesome!

91. Melvis says:

And here I thought the Edmonton Eh? would have the Edge.

92. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar:
    As HH alluded to yesterday, Ivy League about to cancel all sports until 2021.

Ughhhh – what do we think Phil Kemp does?

AHL contract for one year?Europe? Does he get an ELC?

Hey Rusty…look up…way up.

93. OriginalPouzar says:

Lindy Ruff to be named Devils’ head coach!

94. Darth Tu says:

ArmchairGM: Edmonton Eviscerators.

Seriously though, why does it have to start with an E? Just to keep the logo?

Edmonton Edmontonsaurii/Edmontosaurus

Keep it dinosaur themed, also great that it’s like a fun times herd living herbivore rather than a dickhead off on her own carnivore.

95. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Lindy Ruff to be named Devils’ head coach!

Have I been in a cave when did they fire Ralph?

96. pts2pndr says:

Jordan:
    I was tempted to note something in my original post about hard it would be to pick between a lot of players that we’ve identified here over the last couple of months, but decided not to to keep in concise and keep me from rambling, but.. here we go anyways ? .

Just my 2 cents on how i’d dig into Perrault’s inconsistency. If it was me, I’d have a conversation with him and his coach this year (and past years) and clarify if there are any trends about when he plays with that passion and when he doesn’t. Looks like someone who likes offense and not defense, but could be a bad read on my part. Same thing with his skating – sometimes he’s buzzing and sometimes not.Maybe it’s something he can learn – that intensity.If it’s a commitment to play a 200 ft game to play on the top lines, or play 3rd, 4th, pressbox or AHL… I think it’s something he’ll figure out.Especially with Tippett coaching.Guy seems to build trust with people well, so that would help him buying into the 200 ft game leads to offense (which Perrault seems to have a passion for).

As far as who to pick… People talk about safe picks and reach picks, but for me, this is about fit and need.An elite scoring winger would be a really nice add to the current group.It will be harder to get one through trade than a good 3C, and a free agent 3C would be cheaper than a scoring winger too.

Perrault wouldn’t be a good 3C in my opinion, but could be an elite 1W or 2W, depending on development and chemistry.Trying to get guys who can be elite is at something is a good plan because from what I’ve seen, its easier to build other skills up to be acceptable than it is to take a good skill and make it great or elite after the fact.

And we have a need for this kind of player.

Who would I pick between Mysak and Perrault?I’m torn – based on tools, it sounds like Perrault has a better shot and a better skating stride, but some consistency issues.Mysak sounds like a better distributer (comparted to Perrault) has stronger drive, but might have more skating issues due to the skating style.He’s also smaller physically, which may make him less durable compared to Perrault.I think Mysak might be the safer pick in that he’s more likely to reach potential, but Perrault looks like the prospect with the higher ceiling.

Both would be good picks for the Oil, as I could see them filling the same hole.I’d take Perrault.It’s a bit of a coin flip IMO.

I think that when you are talking about work ethic, if able interview his father. Children learn work ethic from role models. Interview teachers and people he may have worked for. Lastly check with his coaches. To know your player and his currency/character you have to know other than his hockey life!

97. Darth Tu says:

Some interesting chat on Mr Broberg as part of this article on TSN (interview with Tomas Monten):

“”He’s been more thorough. He can still move the puck and skate the puck and can create offence, but he just makes better reads and knows when to go and try and skate through situations. He’s a little smarter and knows when to check the puck and when he can make plays….”

I won’t quote it all, it’s a decent read on all the Swedish prospects. From what he’s saying the verbal matches the highlights I’ve seen of Broberg over the past year. It also seems to back up LT’s repeated statements about how we shouldn’t be too worried about offensive totals – he’s not been asked to play offensive hockey, he’s been asked to further develop the defensive side of his game. I agree with Monten that this is exactly the right play for Broberg if he’s going to make the NHL as a top pair, or second pair defender.

98. pts2pndr says:

Darth Tu: In a word yes, that’s a lot of money saved on re branding/merch if they can stay EE.

Edmonton Edmontonsaurii/Edmontosaurus

99. pts2pndr says:

Reja: Edmonton Snowflakes.

I take it you are not an Eskimo fan!?

100. Harpers Hair says:

pts2pndr: Edmonton roughnecks would fit quite nicely. Hard working men and a tribute to their industry.

At some point, chiropractors would be marching in the streets.

101. pts2pndr says:

Reja: Have I been in a cave whendid they fire Ralph?

Better question was it by email. ?

102. OriginalPouzar says:

Interesting, as per Seravelli, that pre-free agency “courting period” is gone under the new CBA.

I like going back to old school on this one.

103. OriginalPouzar says:

Also, as per Seravelli, the qualifying round stats will count as playoff stats for this year.

104. Eh Team says:

OriginalPouzar: Ughhhh – what do we think Phil Kemp does?

Get his degree?

105. tileguy says:

Melvis:
    And here I thought the Edmonton Eh? would have the Edge.

Alouette, gentille alouette,
    Alouette, je te plumerai.

106. OriginalPouzar says:

If that is their plan, I would argue that its even smarter to protect 7-3-1.

As far as trading/exposing Jones, obviously we have to see where we are in 10 months from now, however, he’ll be another year at $850K and then still an RFA – that’s already a big value contract and will likely be a very big value contract the following year.

107. Harpers Hair says:

Eh Team: Get his degree?

He’d better.

He’s not much of a hockey prospect.

108. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Hey Rusty…look up…way up.

For your thoughts on Phil Kemp and how this effects the Oilers org in the short term? Nothing to see up there.

109. JAMCON says:

Hate, hate, hate Empire. So pretentious! Go Emps Go away.

Haven’t seen Express. Is there a reason?

110. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: Have I been in a cave whendid they fire Ralph?

That is the Sabres.

111. Melvis says:

tileguy: People would confuse that with the Alouettes. What is an alouette anyways? Ah right,
    Alouette, gentille alouette,
    Alouette, je te plumerai.

Ha! There’s always something…

Random fact: Ralph Krueger is the coach of the Buffalo Sabres.

113. OriginalPouzar says:

Darth Tu:

I won’t quote it all, it’s a decent read on all the Swedish prospects. From what he’s saying the verbal matches the highlights I’ve seen of Broberg over the past year.It also seems to back up LT’s repeated statements about how we shouldn’t be too worried about offensive totals – he’s not been asked to play offensive hockey, he’s been asked to further develop the defensive side of his game. I agree with Monten that this is exactly the right play for Broberg if he’s going to make the NHL as a top pair, or second pair defender.

This was great – thank you.

114. defmn says:

Reja: Have I been in a cave whendid they fire Ralph?

Sabres and Devils all look alike? 😉

115. OriginalPouzar says:

Eh Team: Get his degree?

Perhaps – I’m confidant he also wants to play hockey and continuing developing over the next year.

116. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: He’d better.

He’s not much of a hockey prospect.

Factually incorrect.

117. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: For your thoughts on Phil Kemp and how this effects the Oilers org in the short term?Nothing to see up there.

Here’s some math for you.

Three defensemen, all playing in the Ivy League…21 year old season..

John Marino…2 goals…16 points.

Phil Kemp…3 goals…11 points.

Jack Rathbone…7 goals…31 points.

Notice anything?

118. OriginalPouzar says:

As per Friedman, the SCF will be Sept 20 to Oct 2 (at the latest) and training camps for next season are tentatively scheduled for November 17 with the season starting Dec 1.

119. Ribs says:

Taylor Hall got out of Jersey just in time, it appears. Yikes.

120. OriginalPouzar says:

What does Jack Rathbore have to do with anything?

Why are points being used to talk about Phil Kemp?

Wild stuff starting earlier tonight than usual.

Harpers Hair: Here’s some math for you.

Three defensemen, all playing in the Ivy League…21 year old season..

John Marino…2 goals…16 points.

Phil Kemp…3 goals…11 points.

Jack Rathbone…7 goals…31 points.

Notice anything?

Yes. Marino wasn’t on the power play

122. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar:
    What does Jack Rathbore have to do with anything?

Why are points being used to talk about Phil Kemp?

Wild stuff starting earlier tonight than usual.

Phil Kemp has basically stalled in his three years of college hockey.

Not unexpected for a 7th round pick.

To be fair to Rathbone he turned 21 just 6 weeks ago so his numbers represent his 20 year old season.

I would be very surprised if the Oilers offered Kemp a contract.

If he can’t move the needle in the NCAA, chances are he won’t do it in pro hockey.

123. Harpers Hair says:

Lowetide: Yes. Marino wasn’t on the power play

Marino and Rathbone were team mates for a season.

When Marino left, Rathbone exploded although as a freshman he outscored both Marino and Kemp.

Looks like a good one.

124. Side says:

Three fruits, all in my fridge

Oranges… round… orange
    Strawberries.. red… dimpled
    Blueberries… round…blue

Notice anything?

125. Darth Tu says:

Harpers Hair: Here’s some math for you.

Three defensemen, all playing in the Ivy League…21 year old season..

John Marino…2 goals…16 points.

Phil Kemp…3 goals…11 points.

Jack Rathbone…7 goals…31 points.

Notice anything?

Rathbone…. Rafferty….. Are they the same person?

126. OriginalPouzar says:

New pic floating around – a selfie of Kass with some known Hells’ Angel – getting grief including lack of social distancing.

A minor thing but it will cause a bit of stink I’m sure.

OriginalPouzar:

A minor thing but it will cause a bit of stink I’m sure.

Brainless as ever.

“That same day, Kassian hit the ice with other Oilers, showing off the mutton chops he debuted during Edmonton’s 2017 playoff run.” Vancouver Sun

The Oilers won’t last long with players this stupid, to not social distance, nor wear a mask when in a public place.

Zack Kassian is UNRELIABLE

128. Glovjuice says:

1. Edmonton Eternal
    2. Edmonton Extreme
    3. Edmonton Eagles (if allowed)
    4. Edmonton Elfs (seriously)

129. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Phil Kemp has basically stalled in his three years of college hockey.

Not unexpected for a 7th round pick.

I would be very surprised if the Oilers offered Kemp a contract.

Phil Kemp has stalled in his development?

That is a wildly false statement about the player that is the captain of Yale, is know as a one of the best defensive d-men in the league and played more than K’Andre Miller in some games in the World Juniors last year.

I would advise if you have no knowledge on a player to either, research, ask or keep quiet as oppossed to just making stuff up.

130. Glovjuice says:

5. Edmonton Esquimalt (shortened to Esqs).

131. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: If that is their plan, I would argue that its even smarter to protect 7-3-1.

This is true but the reality is he will still be a third pairing D on our team. We have very good backup for left D. While I value Jones his position is easily back filled. If the trade is there you make it! If not you leave him unprotected and move forward. I am looking at what is best for the team overall!

132. OriginalPouzar says:

stagnating:

Kemp scored at a low rate in his first and second seasons at Yale, but still became a key player. After the 2018-19 season, Chip Malfronte of the New Haven Register praised Kemp’s play: “Yale’s strength lies in its defensive corps. Freshman Jack St. Ivany, a Flyers’ draft pick, was named to the ECAC’s all-rookie team. Sophomore Phil Kemp, an Edmonton draft choice, could give the Bulldogs the league’s top defensive pairing next year.”

Near the end of the season, Steven Pappas of Q30-TV said of the player: “Kemp is one of the best defensive defensemen in the country and makes it really difficult for opponents to carry the puck by him into the neutral zone. He forces players to dump the puck around him and his outstanding retrieval skills allow him to negate any offense attack by the opposition. It’s been a tough season for Kemp and the defensive core, but a statement outing against their rival could be a springboard into the postseason.”

Quotes curtesy of McCurdy

133. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: He’d better.

He’s not much of a hockey prospect.

He definitely doesn’t want to find out he’s a 25 year old playing for vancouvers farm team without a college degree

134. Side says:

Please no Edmonton Extreme.

We have escaped the 90s and early 00s. We don’t need to go back by making Edmonton XTREME!

135. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar:

A minor thing but it will cause a bit of stink I’m sure.

LOL

Makes me like him even better.

136. hunter1909 says:

Glovjuice:
    1. Edmonton Eternal
    2. Edmonton Extreme
    3. Edmonton Eagles (if allowed)
    4. Edmonton Elfs (seriously)

4A. Edmonton Eternal Elves

137. deardylan says:

Edmonton Emiskwaskahegan (Edmonton Beaver House)

If we really want to embrace Canada’s culture and what makes us unique..lets go to the source.

138. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar:
    stagnating:

Kemp scored at a low rate in his first and second seasons at Yale, but still became a key player. After the 2018-19 season, Chip Malfronte of the New Haven Registerpraised Kemp’s play:“Yale’s strength lies in its defensive corps. Freshman Jack St. Ivany, a Flyers’ draft pick, was named to the ECAC’s all-rookie team. Sophomore Phil Kemp, an Edmonton draft choice, could give the Bulldogs the league’s top defensive pairing next year.”

Quotes curtesy of McCurdy

Defensive defensemen are as valuable as 4th line checkers.

“It’s been a tough season for Kemp and the defensive corp”..

No shit.

139. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar:

A minor thing but it will cause a bit of stink I’m sure.

Minor thing iff it’s just a random fan:

140. Pescador says:

deardylan:
    Edmonton Emiskwaskahegan (Edmonton Beaver House)

Edmonton Egalitarians it is

141. Pescador says:

Glovjuice:
    5. Edmonton Esquimalt (shortened to Esqs).

I don’t hate it, which is saying something.
    Shame thou..
    Per Wikipedia:
    The Township of Esquimalt is a municipality at the southern tip of Vancouver Island, in British Columbia, Canada.
    Quick, who knows how to edit Wik?

N64: Minor thing iff it’s just a random fan:

It is not a minor thing from a hockey perspective with Covid around. He wasn’t social distancing and he wasn’t wearing a mask in public. Heck, the players should be in self-imposed self-isolation.

Kassian the clueless reveals himself early and again.

Harpers Hair: Marino and Rathbone were team mates for a season.

Looks like a good one.

144. Reja says:

pts2pndr: I take it you are not an Eskimo fan!?

Not if they cave in to a few whiners trying to get their 15 minutes of fame.

145. OriginalPouzar says:

Per Seravelli:

#NHL tentative RTP schedule:
    ? July 24: Travel to hubs
    ? July 25: Exhibition games
    ? July 30: Qualif. round begins
    ? Aug. 9: First round of playoffs begins
    ? Aug. 23: Second round begins
    ? Sept. 6: Conf Finals begin
    ? Sept. 20: SCF begins
    ? Oct. 2: Last poss. game of SCF

146. Harpers Hair says:

Lowetide: Adam Fox got the PP time during Marino’s Harvard career. Marino adjusted beautifully to the NHL, I think using him as an example of failure is not convincing. I hope your man Rathbone is a good one, it’s fun to have the western Canadian teams drafting well.

Oh, I don’t think Marino was a failure and Fox was a beast.

Rathbone seems to be in the middle while Kemp is also in photo.

147. N64 says:

godot10: It is not a minor thing from a hockey perspective with Covid around.He wasn’t social distancing and he wasn’t wearing a mask in public.Heck, the players should be in self-imposed self-isolation.

Kassian the clueless reveals himself early and again.

With 5% of players positive it’s run of the mill clueless and still minor iff its random stranger.

148. OriginalPouzar says:

N64: Minor thing iff it’s just a random fan:

I’m more concerned about the lack of social distancing.

I’ve been pretty clear on my position that the players should essentially be home and rink at this point and very selective of where they go. Zack taking a selfie with a random is the opposite of what he should be doing 4 days before training camp.

149. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Defensive defensemen are as valuable as 4th line checkers.

“It’s been a tough seasonfor Kemp and the defensive corp”..

No shit.

Chris Tanev – essentially replacement level.

150. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar: Zack taking a selfie with a random is the opposite of what he should be doing 4 days before training camp.

Kassian probably wouldn’t get into law school either.

151. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar: Yup, Adam Larsson playing his best hockey in 2 years in 2020 had nothing to do with the Oilers being the 6th best team in the league in that stretch.

Chris Tanev – essentially replacement level.

Come to think of it, Harpers Hair has gone suddenly quiet over his beloved Canucks since the playoffs were announced.

Harpers Hair: Oh, I don’t think Marino was a failure and Fox was a beast.

Rathbone seems to be in the middle while Kemp is also in photo.

Yeah, Kemp is a fine shutdown defender but not a lot of offence there. I do think Edmonton signs him though. They aren’t so flush with pro defensemen they can afford to cast them away.

153. defmn says:

Reja: Not if they cave in to a few whiners trying to get their 15 minutes of fame.

Edmonton Eunuchs?

154. Scungilli Slushy says:

Bye bye Zach.

I doubt there is the stomach to see if he’s under duress.

Final tragic decision for his NHL career IMO.

I say duress, as how could the luckiest scrub in the league not want to stay lucky?

155. OriginalPouzar says:

Frank Seravalli
    @frank_seravalli
    48m
    There is a whole slew of stats pro-ration rules in MOU as they relate to player bonuses.

I’m told no decision has been made on how #Flames / #Oilers condition in Lucic / Neal trade will be handled. #NHL plans to develop process for clubs to make arguments and be heard fairly.

156. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Frank Seravalli
    @frank_seravalli
    48m

It’s gone

157. Harpers Hair says:

Chris Tanev – essentially replacement level.

Not a great sign.

BTW , Tanev scored 20 points in his only college season.

Kemp has never come close to that mark.

158. Victoria Oil says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Per Seravelli:

#NHL tentative RTP schedule:
    ? July 24: Travel to hubs
    ? July 25: Exhibition games
    ? July 30: Qualif. round begins
    ? Aug. 9: First round of playoffs begins
    ? Aug. 23: Second round begins
    ? Sept. 6: Conf Finals begin
    ? Sept. 20: SCF begins
    ? Oct. 2: Last poss. game of SCF

Thanks for this.

Good to see that they’re sticking to games every second day thru the whole playoffs without excessive days off before the finals. It irks me that the NHL has had 4-6 days off in previous years between the conference finals and the SCF.

159. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy:
    Bye bye Zach.

I doubt there is the stomach to see if he’s under duress.

Final tragic decision for his NHL career IMO.

160. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy: It’s gone

It might be but not without something coming back, in my opinion.

161. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Larsson scored more in his rookie NHL season than Kemp scored in his third year playing lesser competition.

Not a great sign.

BTW , Tanev scored 20 points in his only college season.

Kemp has never come close to that mark.

I’m not trying to justify Kemp’s offensive numbers – they are meaningless to me.

162. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: or perhaps he agreed to take a selfie with a fan who came up to him in a coffee shop who, as it turns out, is a highly outgoing and social person?

Absolutely

Given his past etc, the gigantic bags under his sober eyes, that no other Oiler has been photo opped by a patch, what is the worry?

I have no idea what happened, but being clueless also costs people high level jobs doesn’t it?

As a business owner and in that position I’d be very concerned about what was going on and what exposure was being made to the very young newly rich in my org.

Wouldn’t you?

Maybe the K and D show has more tolerance than the previous. But that was a big booboo especially for Zach, particularly given Covid and distancing. Maybe they give him a chance if he’s in trouble again.

163. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: What in the world does that have to do with the statement that defensive d-man are worth as much as 4th liners?

Unfortunately for you, they are meaningful for everyone else.

164. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy: Absolutely

Wouldn’t you?

Maybe the K and D show has more tolerance than the previous. But that was a big booboo especially forZach, particularly given Covid and distancing. Maybe they give him a chance if he’s in trouble again.

As a person about to celebrate 8 years, I would advise against speculation re: relapse.

165. N64 says:

Yep. One hopes it is that minor. Even the instagram follow can be naive

166. OriginalPouzar says:

Interesting- as per Friedman, teams that have a bonus overage for next season will have the option to evenly distribute it over the next two seasons.

This will apply to the Oilers.

167. Munny says:

You cannot tell from that photo the exact distance between Kass and the HA. The inability to distinguish distance between foreground and background is a device that is exploited all the time in movies, maybe most famously with the Hagrid scenes in Harry Potter.

Also, Kassian is clearly behind the HA, and the HA’s face is aimed away from the player. For all we know they removed any masks they may have had just for the moment of the shapshot. There’s almost no health risk to Kass by doing so.

And lastly (rightly or wrongly), I rarely see people employ physical distancing any more, except in half-hearted ways by the minority, and fanatically by a much smaller minority.

We’re reading an awful lot into one photo

This is why we have habeus corpus, due process, a justice system and lynch mobs have become a thing of the past…

…just ask Twitter.

Bad optics, yes. Risky, not so much; unless his daily life is occupied with such encounters.

168. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar,

An actual good idea by the NHL. They must have hired some people.

169. jp says:

Munny:

Also, Kassian is clearly behind the HA, and the HA’s face is aimed away from the player. For all we know they removed any masks they may have had just for the moment of the shapshot.There’s almost no health risk to Kass by doing so.

We’re reading an awful lot into one photo

…just ask Twitter.

I agree with most of this.

Bad optics for sure. Suggestive of risky even, yeah. But I noticed the perspective thing too, they are definitely not face to face and it’s unclear exactly how far Kassian is away. They very well could be 2 or 4 feet away. They could also be 6 or more.

It’s not what you’d want to see, but we *shouldn’t* lose our minds either.

170. Ribs says:

Kassian is a big motorcycle guy. It’s usually a pretty small community of riders in most places so everyone knows everyone at least casually. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

171. Reja says:

jp: I agree with most of this.

It’s not what you’d want to see, but we *shouldn’t* lose our minds either.

I just heard Kass hired Johnnie Cochran to represent him.

172. BONE207 says:

deardylan:
    Edmonton Emiskwaskahegan (Edmonton Beaver House)

Well that sounds a bit more promising than a chicken ranch…?

173. jp says:

Reja: I just heard Kass hired Johnnie Cochran to represent him.

Johnnie Cochran’s dead.

174. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Material Elvis,

Edmonton Emancipators.

175. London Jon says:

Darth Tu: Rathbone…. Rafferty….. Are they the same person?

Brogan Ratherty

176. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Frank Seravalli
    @frank_seravalli
    48m

The news is that he looked and nothing in there about conditions or ARB between teams. As expected in a CBA doc. Nothing to see. Same old Gary and co. might listen to teams. Still might. Months left to do something or nothing

NEW for @TheAthleticEDM Dave Tippett’s postseason strategy against the Blackhawks.