A few thoughts

In an interview earlier this week, Ken Holland discussed the 2020-21 salary cap and the road ahead for the organization. “An $85.5 million-dollar cap versus an $81.5 million-dollar cap – four million dollars – is a fairly significant amount of cap space for everybody. So, it’s going to be tight and we’re going to try to find players that can play. You need cheaper players on your roster, you always do.”

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

VALUE DEALS HOLLAND CAN COUNT ON

Ethan Bear, Kailer Yamamoto and Caleb Jones had impressive seasons in 2019-20 and should offer value next season. Bear needs a new deal but Holland likely offers a bridge because there’s too much month at the end of the money.

Gaetan Haas and Joakim Nygard are signed to deals for next season at less than $1 million but the two men aren’t in the projected starting lineup for the playoffs. Things could change but at this point the most accurate thing we can stay about the two men is that they’re in the mix for bottom-six work in 2020-21.

Tyler Benson, Cooper Marody and Ryan McLeod are in good spots for NHL jobs next season. Vulnerable forwards include Alex Chiasson, James Neal and Riley Sheahan (who is without a contract).

The other player who should be mentioned is Evan Bouchard. A player like Matt Benning might be vulnerable for the offseason with Bouchard ready to step in. I have listed him as Edmonton’s No. 1 prospect two years running but the team has been very patient with him (after an early misstep). I don’t know when he’ll arrive but at less than $900,000 (with a potential performance bonus of $500,000) having him on the roster over Benning could represent a saving of up to $1 million next season. Kris Russell is also vulnerable.

If Tyler Ennis and Riley Sheahan can be brought in around $1 million, that moves Marody and Benson to the Bakersfield Condors (and I do think something like that will happen). Assuming Russell and Chiasson can be traded without adding cap dollars (that might mean moving Jesse Puljujarvi in the Russell deal), the team above would have a cap of about $80,000,000.

Note: The roster choices above aren’t mine, but I do believe Holland will bring Smith back unless the big goalie struggles in the postseason. I held off on adding Sheahan because it’s possible the organization goes in a different direction.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

We kickstart the weekend at 10, TSN1260. Blue Jays opening day! NHL playoff action is eight days away! Steve Lansky from BigMouthSports will talk about the NHL bubble, the Jays and the return of Mike Tyson. Matt Iwanyk will chat Edmonton Football Club, the Yankees and the NHL’s in-game look. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

131 Responses to "A few thoughts"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto and Jones are almost certainly value deal – even if Jones doesn’t take the next step he’s a value deal at $850 – for two years, what a signing.

Lagesson could be a value deal as well – if injuries do pile up and he gets a stretch of play.

To the extent Bear comes in less than $2M, which is probably the case, that’s a massive value deal – he’s a $4M player if he doesn’t regress – he’s at least as “valuable” as that Rasmus guy down south. If he spells Klef from some PP1 minutes…….

I can’t agree that McLeod is in a good spot for an NHL job next season (at least for the first part of the year). Speed and size will alway sparkle in a camp, even a unique one like the Oilers have been performing in. He had a nice season in the AHL, an up arrow I would say, however, at the same time, he was a bottom six/middle six forward and a part time center/part time winger. Unless there is a massive “pop”, I think his goal should be full time top 6 center at the AHL level and both special teams – a material part of the Condors’ lineup. Cup of coffee, later in the year, sure, if its earned.

There has to be another way to save $1M other than not paying Benning $2M to provide depth and covor on that right side. Yes, I think most believe that Bouchard can play 3RD but pencilling him in that spot for game 1, with no cover, means he’ll be playing top 4 minutes when injuries happen and, with Berglund staying in Sweden, Jones or Rusty (if he’s in the lineup), is playing his off-side – far from ideal.

Sure, maybe Benning is a bit expensive at $2M but I think the cover and depth at the position is worth it.

To me, the easiest way to save that million is to substitute Benson for Chiasson.

2. ArmchairGM says:

“I held off on adding Sheahan because it’s possible the organization goes in a different direction.”

I mentioned Faksa a few minutes ago on the previous thread. I have conversed online with a few Dallas fans who would trade Falsa and a prospect (or pick) to Edmonton for Puljujarvi and Benning. Depending on what sort of contract Faksa gets this fall I think this could be very workable for the Oilers.

Thoughts?

3. leadfarmer says:

So if there’s no Ahl season do they adjust the cap and roster size for next year?
    I mean where are you going to find roster replacements for injuries?

4. who says:

Couple of comments on your roster.
    You have moved Benning and replaced him with Bouchard. And you have kept Russell. You could substitute Lagesson for Bouchard to start the year and go with a 3 lefty rotation on the 3rd pairing. If Bouchard isn’t playing on the PP I’m not sure he brings anything on the defensive side of the puck that the others don’t.
    Also you still have Russell so you should still have JP. I don’t see him, or any return for him, in this lineup.
    I keep coming back to one thing, because it’s still the most obvious way to create cap space. Buy out James Neal. No other move can create that kind of cap space, without giving up another asset.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Czech U20 game – streamed live. A chance to view future Oiler Jan Mysak:

6. defmn says:

If there is no AHL next season will there be a waiver rule with the taxi squads or whatever is put in place?

If not I suspect many teams will go with 20 player squads leaving the PB guys off of the cap as part of their taxi squads. That will save close to $3M for most teams.

7. dustrock says:

Playoffs is going to be crazy:

Tortorella sees a couple of important players who haven’t been going full-throttle in practices or games. He declined to name names.

“We have to be really careful to not fall into the trap of thinking we can wade into this,” Tortorella said. “Each day is an important day. This isn’t getting ready for the regular season and trying to find your game after 15 games in the regular season. This is a sprint.

“Some guys have been dead-on right from the start. Other guys, not so much. We’re in single digits now as far as getting ready to play this game. I don’t want us to fall into the trap of wading into it. We have to be ready to go.”

“For the most part, I’ve liked what I’ve seen,” Tortorella said. “It’s just two or three guys that are pretty important people. It’s a concern of mine. The team concept … all of the things we’re teaching. I’m not sure we’ve gotten total concentration, and that’s what we’re trying to get to.”

8. jp says:

who:
    Couple of comments on your roster.
    I keep coming back to one thing, because it’s still the most obvious way to create cap space.Buy out James Neal. No other move can create that kind of cap space, without giving up another asset.

IMO Benning should be re-signed for 2 years (depth and to satisfy the expansion draft Dman requirement) and Russell should be moved, even if it takes 50% retention (or in exchange for a guy like Sutter).

Even the 50% retention saves Holland a little cash/cap. Equally importantly, it opens up ice to keep Lagesson on the roster as 7D. (and Bouchard is 8D if everyone’s healthy and can move into the lineup as an injury replacement).

A Neal buyout is also quite possible, IMO.

9. ArmchairGM says:

dustrock:
    Playoffs is going to be crazy:

Good thing Matthews isn’t up to speed either then.

10. JimmyV1965 says:

The playoffs are a week way and already I’m getting nervous. The Oil are the better team, but anything can happen in a five-game series. If they lose, I’ll be devastated. Will be tough waiting nearly five months only to see the team lose in the first series.

11. leadfarmer says:

There’s going to be some teams that show up in absolutely atrocious shape.
    This is very clearly going to favor the younger teams

12. LadiesloveSmid says:

I know Bear plays like 21+ minutes night, so it’s not quite the same but I recall some posters here calling for signing Benning long term at ~$4M after his rookie season. Might be best to bridge, both cap-wise and player projection-wise.

13. ArmchairGM says:

JimmyV1965:
    The playoffs are a week way and already I’m getting nervous. The Oil are the better team, but anything can happen in a five-game series.If they lose, I’ll be devastated. Will be tough waiting nearly five months only to see the team lose in the first series.

You’ll be devastated at missing the playoffs, but then excited for the draft lottery. It’s the #Oilers way.

14. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer:
    There’s going to be some teams that show up in absolutely atrocious shape.
    This is very clearly going to favor the younger teams

These were the average ages of teams when the season started.

Of course some teams have added older players since.

Given their abundance of young talent, you have to like Colorado’s chances if what you say is a factor.

COL 25.7
    BOS 28.5
    NYI 28.6
    NSH 28.7

15. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

JimmyV1965:

Yup
    Particularly since the oilers were basically in the playoffs and the Blackhawks were basically out.
    The play in cutoffs were a little too generous to some teams on the outskirts…

16. OriginalPouzar says:

Seabrook confirms that he will NOT be going to Edmonton with the Hawks – he just doesn’t “feel comfortable enough”.

I almost a bit disappointed, I was hoping to see him in the lineup given his poor season and then 3 surgeries in a month and a half.

17. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

Harpers Hair: These were the average ages of teams when the season started.

Of course some teams have added older players since.

COL 25.7
    MIN 28.3
    DAL 28.4
    VGK 28.4
    BOS 28.5
    NYI 28.6
    NSH 28.7

I’d look at the average ages and quality of season starts of each team’s top 8 to 10 players. I was looking around the leauge with this consideration and it struck me how young the Oilers are.

McDavid
    Draisaitl
    Nuge
    Nurse
    Klefbom
    Bear
    Larsson
    Yamamoto
    Kassian
    Ennis(?)

Average age of 25.3. If you remove the bottom two, you’re at 24.3.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Others feel this is a bigger issue than I do but its been confirmed that the Oilers won’t have full use of their normal dressing room – for example, the Hawks will have the room when they are the home team for game 3.

19. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: These were the average ages of teams when the season started.

Of course some teams have added older players since.

COL 25.7
    MIN 28.3
    DAL 28.4
    VGK 28.4
    BOS 28.5
    NYI 28.6
    NSH 28.7

Avg age is meaningless. Depth players that play a few minutes a night should not count the same as the guys playing 20 min plus

20. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar:

Any news on Crawford?

21. Ribs says:

OriginalPouzar,

I hope the Oilers don’t accidentally leave any of their audio recording equipment on!

22. Munny says:

Reja: Any news on Crawford?

There’s been nothing new this morning other than he’s still not present.

23. JimmyV1965 says:

I think the long layoff adds a lot of uncertainty to the playoffs. And although younger guys will generally be better equipped to hit the ground running, I’m not writing off the older teams. Experience matters too. If the vets were diligent during the layoff, they might even be better and more refreshed than ever. All the aches and pains of a long season are no longer a factor.

However, a few teams will lose whatever momentum they had at the end of the season and will fall flat on their face once play resumes. Not sure what teams these will be, but there’s bound to be a couple.

If the Oil somehow beat the Hawks, they matchup against the worst team from the round robin and there’s a possibility that team has lost all momentum from the regular season. There’s a real opportunity for the top seed of the play ins to face a relatively weak opponent.

24. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: Avg age is meaningless.Depth players that play a few minutes a night should not count the same as the guys playing 20 min plus

You mean like a 38 year old goaltender?

25. Brantford Boy says:

OriginalPouzar,

If true, I’m a little perplexed on how he’s allowed to do this, I thought the opt out timeline had expired. Kinda the same thing Domi did with “deciding later”, does anyone know if this is how the opt out phase was supposed to work, or if this is in violation of that timeline?

This may sound harsh, and I’m sympathetic to the players returning, just looking to find out is all.

Anyone, Bueller?

Harpers Hair: These were the average ages of teams when the season started.

Of course some teams have added older players since.

COL 25.7
    MIN 28.3
    DAL 28.4
    VGK 28.4
    BOS 28.5
    NYI 28.6
    NSH 28.7

Now weight the average age by ice time.

27. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: You mean like a 38 year old goaltender?

Yes a 38 year old backup goalie also would be considered a non core player

28. Munny says:

Seabrook is setting the stage for permanent LTIR going forward.

In other news, I hear he lives at Hossa’s housa.

29. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: Any news on Crawford?

Hasn’t participated in camp yet (or phase 2). From Scott Powers, he’s skated once since March.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

Per Scott Powers:

Connor Murphy says he tweaked his groin in practice. He’s hopeful to play in the Oilers’ series.

Calvin de Haan says he feels good. He never expected to play again this season, but he feels ready now.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

Brantford Boy:
    OriginalPouzar,

If true, I’m a little perplexed on how he’s allowed to do this, I thought the opt out timeline had expired.Kinda the same thing Domi did with “deciding later”, does anyone know if this is how the opt out phase was supposed to work, or if this is in violation of that timeline?

Anyone, Bueller?

Yes, technically the players had 72 hours (or whatever it was to opt out) but, in practice, I don’t think any team or league official is going to cause a stir if the player decision is made a little later.

In the case of Seabrook, its not a true “opt out” but injury related. He participated in Stage 3 to see if he was healthy enough after his 3 surgeries and has determined he’s not.

He’s not really “opting out” as much as injured/Hawks not bringing him on their phase 4 roster.

32. Brantford Boy says:

OriginalPouzar,

Yes, I see the articles coming out now… this quote obviously dictates its injury related:

“Seabrook is currently rehabbing his way back from three surgeries after going under the knife for his right shoulder (Dec. 27), left hip (January) and right hip (Feb. 6).

He has been skating with the team since July 10 but added that doesn’t feel comfortable enough yet to play.”

This was obviously misinterpreted from your previous post “he just doesn’t ‘feel comfortable enough’.”, small quote, big difference…

33. who says:

jp: On Russell this off-season, I feel he’s a bit like Sekera last year. The money they’re being paid would be better used elsewhere, but ALSO they’re blocking young players that are ready for at bats.

A Neal buyout is also quite possible, IMO.

I’m just not sure you can move Russell, even with 50% retained. A lot of teams are going to be tight to the cap. And Russell can eliminate half the league with his NTC.
    Benning is easier to move, which makes it more likely, in my mind.

34. meanashell11 says:

Harpers Hair: You mean like a 38 year old goaltender?

Seriously, can you just go annoy somebody else for a while. It’s beyond the pale.

35. Reja says:

Harpers Hair: You mean like a 38 year old goaltender?

It’s probably Smith’s last chance to win Stanley can’t see Holland resigning him unless of course he gets us to the final or wins it. Unless Smith tweaks something or tells Tippett he doesn’t feel comfortable he’ll be starting until he costs us a game. The D is comfortable with his puck handling skills which changes the Hawks game plan it’s a real added game changer.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Brantford Boy:
    OriginalPouzar,

This was obviously misinterpreted from your previous post “he just doesn’t ‘feel comfortable enough’.”,small quote, big difference…

I was just going by Scott Powers’ quote of the player:

Scott Powers
    @ByScottPowers
    2h
    Brent Seabrook says he will be not going to Edmonton with the team. “I just don’t feel comfortable yet, just not as comfortable as I want to be.”

37. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Per Scott Powers:

A single injury to the Hawks ‘top 4’ D (Keith, Murphy, de Haan, Matta) would be a huge blow…. Fingers crossed 🙂

38. JOFA says:

Ribs:
    OriginalPouzar,

Shhhhhhh😉

39. jp says:

who: I wouldn’t have a problem signing Benning for 2 years, but no longer. And I think any 2 year deal should be in the 1.7 AAV ballpark.
    Benning is easier to move, which makes it more likely, in my mind.

I do think Russell will be movable at 50% retained, but could obviously be wrong. We’ll see. No question Benning is easier to move.

40. pts2pndr says:

defmn:

I don’t think this is how it works under the current contract. If it does fit however, I would agree this gives teams with a high top end room to maneuver. Hi

41. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair: You mean like a 38 year old goaltender?

Go Home. It takes no skill to be an ass!

42. RonnieB says:

jp: No, not thinking long-term deal for Benning (though injury aside, you’d think he’ll remain tradeable). His QO is $1.9M and he’s arbitration eligible, I believe. I expect he’s offered that by Holland and accepts it.

Small correction…Benning’s QO is $2.0
    His Cap hit is $1.9 made up of $1,8 in the 1st year and $2.0 in this 2nd year of his contract. He has to be qualified at the most recent salary.

43. fries n gravy says:

I’d offer Benning longer term in exchange for lower AAV.

Benning gets his future secured & Oilers get a good contract. Limited no-trade like Russell’s if needed.

For example, 4 years x $1.8.

44. fries n gravy says:

fries n gravy,

… or 4 x $2m as per Ronnieb.

45. pts2pndr says:

fries n gravy:
    I’d offer Benning longer term in exchange for lower AAV.

Benning gets his future secured & Oilers get a good contract.Limited no-trade like Russell’s if needed.

For example, 4 years x $1.8.

The problem is Bennings concussion history. Can the contract be insured?

46. buck yoakam says:

Man, all the benning bashing is so reminiscent of so many souls we let go when they were entering their prime…have we not learned anything?…thank the gords for holland and tippet…what does 2m a year get you on the rhd these days?…braggin rafartinski?

47. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: Yes a 38 year old backup goalie also would be considered a non core player

And a groin pull away from being the most important player on the team.

48. Reja says:

Harpers Hair: And a groin pull away from being the most important player on the team.

49. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM:

Thoughts?

A 30-35 point center is solid I guess, but he regressed to 20 points this season (shortened season). He was 5th on PK TOI/G and his relative numbers were all negative.

Unless I’m missing something, which I may be, I don’t think he carries the value for two good assets.

50. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer:
    I mean where are you going to find roster replacements for injuries?

51. Harpers Hair says:

defmn:

Think you might be interested in this.

52. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: If the NHL goes and the AHL does not proceed in line then, 100%, they will need to expand rosters and the “taxi squads” will need to be exempt from the cap (or some other arrangement made) – they clearly need to have injury replacements available (players that are playing/practicing).

They could do this by adapting the current system.

If a taxi squad player is activated, his full cap hit counts.

While on the taxi squad, only the amount over $1 million on his contract counts.

Teams who have buried an NHL salary in the minors would still have a proportionate cap hit.

53. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: Maybe I am under-rating Faksa but I don’t think I’d trade Benning for him straight up – in particular if he’s going to want a raise on that $2.2M AAV.

A 30-35 point center is solid I guess, but he regressed to 20 points this season (shortened season).He was 5th on PK TOI/G and his relative numbers were all negative.

Dallas would likely move him for a pick.

He’s been the subject of trade rumors all year.

And the Stars don’t need Benning.

54. jp says:

RonnieB: Small correction…Benning’s QO is $2.0

Cool, thanks.

55. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: Think you might be interested in this.

I try to respect our host’s wishes that politics remains a non topic here but thanks for the link. Always enjoyed her perspective and try to forgive her for her son. 😉

56. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Dallas would likely move him for a pick.

He’s been the subject of trade rumors all year.

And the Stars don’t need Benning.

Agree Faksa isn’t worth Puljujarvi+Benning.

And yes, Dallas doesn’t ‘need’ Benning but he’d be a significant upgrade on Fedun…

fries n gravy:
    I’d offer Benning longer term in exchange for lower AAV.

For example, 4 years x $1.8.

Quit giving duration to 3rd pairing D and bottom six wingers. Benning can probably get over $2.5 million in arbitration, and then be a UFA.

Benning also has some leverage, as I think the Oilers need a signed D with X number of games played to expose in the expansion draft. I think the plan was to trade Benning for a draft pick and sign Mike Green for two years, but with Covid, Green is probably no longer an option.

So some veteran, Benning or a UFA is going to get a 2-year $3 million per type of deal from the Oilers.

Larsson might be re-signed this fall and exposed next year to cover that requirement.

58. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn:

There is no way they can start the 2020/21 season without either the AHL starting in lockstep or expanded rosters (like we are seeing for the playoffs) where the added taxi-squad players do not impact the cap.

Good point on waivers and I think the normal waiver rules would have to apply or else there could be some cap maneuvering with the entire expanded roster.

59. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:
    Playoffs is going to be crazy:

I know he stopped one practice less than a minute in and absolutely laid in to his team – I guess the practice started “slow” and that built on a previous practice Torts wasn’t happy with.

From accounts, all of the Oilers on-ice sessions have been quite up tempo.

60. defmn says:

Mark Spector
    @SportsnetSpec
    5m
    We are told that goalie Corey Crawford, who has not yet been a participant at Chicago Blackhawks camp, is on the club’s 31-player list submitted on Friday.

61. OriginalPouzar says:

A Neal buyout is also quite possible, IMO.

I agree 100% on Benning and Russell.

Russell needs to go for both reasons stated above and, the more I think about it, to “fill the 3C hole” with a player like Sutter would be a great swap – I think I like it better than the $2M retained (which it may take).

Benning may be a bit over-paid at $2M but, for me, that’s not the place to try and shed some cap – the “blocker” for Bouchard so that he isn’t playing in the top 4 when the first injury hits on the right side, is important.

I can’t get on board with that “3-leftie rotation” for the third pair – I don’t think the coaching staff would like that either – Tippett talks often about preferring righty/leftie.

62. OriginalPouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid:

I don’t recall a big call for that type of contract for Benning – could be wrong though.

In any event, pre-pandemic, I would have been very happy to get Bear signed to 6-7 years at anything under $4M per.

I’d probably still be OK with that although there simply isn’t room to do it – I think we are looking at a one year deal for Bear at apx $1.75M. Maybe Holland can get two years on the bridge.

63. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny:
    Seabrook is setting the stage for permanent LTIR going forward.

In other news, I hear he lives at Hossa’s housa.

From the fan of another team in their conference, that would be fantastic.

Trying to manage around a dead $7M of cap space every off-season and not being able to accumulate any cap space during the season to bank and use for in-season acquisitions – I’ll take that – with it was the flames though.

64. OriginalPouzar says:

His QO is $2M (his base salary for this season).

I think Rusty could be moved at $2M – he provides value for that price I think.

65. OriginalPouzar says:

fries n gravy:
    I’d offer Benning longer term in exchange for lower AAV.

For example, 4 years x $1.8.

We can then trade Benning in a year when Berglund takes his NHL roster spot and Kemp starts pressing from the Bake!

66. OriginalPouzar says:

pts2pndr: The problem is Bennings concussion history. Can the contract be insured?

That matters only to Daryl Katz though…..

67. leadfarmer says:

And another injury to him in same game away from having the Zamboni driver as the goalie.
    Still doesn’t make him a core player

68. OriginalPouzar says:

Teams had to submit their player list for phase 4 today – Crawford is indeed on the Hawk’s list even though he hasn’t been seen or heard from.

69. OriginalPouzar says:

I’ll take Mike Smith coming in over Thatcher Demko…….

I recall the Oilers winning with Smith and the Nucks losing with Demko.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

Sounding like Chyka may be out in Arizona very quickly here.

Friedman mentioned something was up a few days ago (when he wasn’t in attendance at the dinner meeting with Hall) and it sounds like there is more fire than smoke.

Per Friedman.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: I think Kosh has the temperament to step right in and do the job but if I’m Tippett I’m starting Smith and it’s his job to lose. If Oilers knock off the Hawks deep down it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if the Nucks and Flames win and be out of the number 1 sweepstakes.

5 sparkling playoff seasons in the KHL with two championships tells me that he will have no issue with pressure or anything like that.

72. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Dallas would likely move him for a pick.

He’s been the subject of trade rumors all year.

And the Stars don’t need Benning.

I wouldn’t trade Benning for him. I may trade a 3rd for him – assuming he doesn’t demand a raise.

73. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Sounding like Chyka may be out in Arizona very quickly here.

Per Friedman.

Would not surprise me. Knows D and G but his decision with forwards is terrible

74. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: I’ll take Mike Smith coming in over Thatcher Demko…….

I recall the Oilers winning with Smith and the Nucks losing with Demko.

Demko s record was 13-10-2

Some losing.

75. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: Quit giving duration to 3rd pairing D and bottom six wingers.Benning can probably get over $2.5 million in arbitration, and then be a UFA.

Benning also has some leverage, as I think the Oilers need a signed D with X number of games played to expose in the expansion draft.I think the plan was to trade Benning for a draft pick and sign Mike Green for two years, but with Covid, Green is probably no longer an option.

Lagesson may also play enough games this coming year or they may not protect Jones.

It’s really hard to speculate a year out with so many factors.

With that said, yes, a two-year contract for Benning would be my preference.

Berglund will take that 3RD spot in a bit while Bouch joins Bear in the top 6. Larsson’s future is unknown at this time.

76. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: Demko s record was 13-10-2

Some losing.

That’s barely 500
    905 sp is nothing to write home about
    He was a very promising G prospect once, sucks that injuries have taken that away

What was once a future starting G for Canucks now he probably doesn’t get a sniff by Seattle

77. Scungilli Slushy says:

Krusty’s bass salary is 1.5M. He has a bonus of 1M.

I imagine the bonus is a signing one. The Oilers pay it and a team has a decent NHL D for 1.5.

That’s a tradeable contract IMO.

It depends on who needs what.

————

I am not surprised Chayka is in trouble.

Too young, too fast. No hair on ass.

And with conflict of interest with his company providing data to anyone.

Sure, he’s not involved, it’s all his wife……

78. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: I agree 100% on Benning and Russell.

This would be like trading a a serviceable tire on an old rim for a newer tire on a out of round rim that won’t stay inflated. It might be better than status quo but even the gords don’t know.

79. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Demko s record was 13-10-2

Some losing.

Let’s be honest: Demko has essentially the same numbers as Smith but a worse record, fewer games played and zero playoff experience.

80. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: That’s barely 500
    905 sp is nothing to write home about

Demko is 24…just getting started.

81. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: That matters only to Daryl Katz though…..

A lot of shuffling prior to replacement. Not disagreeing but could be a detriment to the team as well.

82. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair: Demko s record was 13-10-2

Some losing.

83. Harpers Hair says:

pts2pndr: Your veracity at best is questionable. Not worth the time it takes to check. There will be people that continue to interact with you I will no longer be one of them unless it is to call your crap!

That would be nice.

84. jp says:

Scungilli Slushy: Krusty’s bass salary is 1.5M. He has a bonus of 1M.
    That’s a tradeable contract IMO.
    It depends on who needs what.

85. Scungilli Slushy says:

jp: I think Russell is tradeable too, but his $4M cap hit is far more important than his $1.5M/$2.5M salary though, right? His cap hit doesn’t become $1.5M once his bonus is paid, unfortunately. That’s the real hurdle.

Get to the floor and discount salary. For an NHL caliber player.

One thing Chia did right.

86. jp says:

Scungilli Slushy: I would imagine many budget teams will want cap hits while taking low cash payments.

Get to the floor and discount salary. For an NHL caliber player.

One thing Chia did right.

But there were no teams that needed to get to the floor this year. Not even close actually (the cap floor is $60.2M, the lowest payroll in the NHL was $72.7M). I’m not sure that will change going forward.

It’s quite possible there are teams that won’t spend to the cap, so his real salary could be more relevant (vs Cap) to some teams but it won’t be a terribly long list I wouldn’t think.

87. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy:
    Krusty’s bass salary is 1.5M. He has a bonus of 1M.

That’s a tradeable contract IMO.

It depends on who needs what.

————

I am not surprised Chayka is in trouble.

Too young, too fast. No hair on ass.

And with conflict of interest with his company providing data to anyone.

Sure, he’s not involved, it’s all his wife……

Yes, the cash outlay for a team acquiring Russell is only $1.5M, however, the cap hit is still $4M and, even when the cap was projected to increase, there were few teams that weren’t restricted by the upper cap limit and, now, there are very very few.

If Rusty wanted to, he could weaponize his NTC and essentially block any straight up trade and force the Oilers to retain in order to get the move done (or take bad bad cap).

88. OriginalPouzar says:

Get to the floor and discount salary. For an NHL caliber player.

One thing Chia did right.

Except there aren’t many such teams – maybe a couple.

Almost all teams have the upper cap limit as their limiting factor – there are very very few that are even able to take on bloated contracts (low cash outlay or not).

Ottawa and maybe Florida if they shed cash outlay at the owners’ request – don’t imagine either are not on Rusty’s prohibited list.

89. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: Mike Smith….902…even less to write home about and his blacktop ran out years ago.

Demko is 24…just getting started.

Mike Smith is done and will easily be replaced
    So we really don’t care about your trolling

90. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: Mike Smith is done and will easily be replaced
    So we really don’t care about your trolling

Exactly my point.

Thanks.

91. who says:

OriginalPouzar: I agree 100% on Benning and Russell.

If they can trade Russell, great.
    But if they can’t, I’d rather have Jones and Lagesson at less than a million, than Benning at 2 million.

92. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair:
    I’ll just leave this here.

You really need to leave

93. Eh Team says:

OriginalPouzar: I think the best case is bloated contract for similar bloated contract – Russell for Sutter for example – neither player worth near their cap hit but both have some value on the ice and are NHL players.

Except Sutter isn’t an actual NHL player. Looks like he will be a healthy scratch in the play-in round. If Russell isn’t accommodating bury him in the AHL (or taxi squad or whatever exists at the start of next season)

94. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair:
    I’ll just leave this here.

There’s plenty of Canucks blogs out there you should move to
    No one care what Blowdoll Gafferty are for breakfast

95. Eh Team says:

OriginalPouzar: I can’t get on board with the Neal buyout at this point – 6 years of a dead $2M is too much for my liking, even with the savings for the first three years.

A Neal buy-out seems like an obvious solution. Cap savings of $4m over each of the next 3 years, then a cap hit of $2m over the following 3 years. Net savings of $6m pushes the cap consequences 3 years down the round. Plus Neal can be replaced for less than $2m/year easily.

96. OriginalPouzar says:

who: If they can trade Russell, great.

Yes, I know, both Russell and Jones “can play the right side” but both of them have shown to be inferior players on the right side and our head coach values leftie/rightie.

97. OriginalPouzar says:

Eh Team: Except Sutter isn’t an actual NHL player.Looks like he will be a healthy scratch in the play-in round.If Russell isn’t accommodating bury him in the AHL (or taxi squad or whatever exists at the start of next season)

Sutter is an NHL player when healthy – he’s a better 3C option than anyone Khaira, Sheahan or Haas when healthy.

Russell has a NMC so cannot be send to the AHL without consent (and it would only save just over $1M on the cap).

98. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

After the jays win their first game I go to my regular sites to get details. Nothing up on the Jays.

– as for the jays playing in Buffalo I get the whole we are in the big leagues we need to play in the big leagues. But they can make a sick temporary structure adjacent with amazing gym kitchen lounge where the players can hang

99. Ryan says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

You’re too funny.

I can’t wait for the upcoming “I called it again” post.

Meanwhile, The fact that Chiarelli made the last year of the contract buyout proof with the signing bonus is old news.

100. OriginalPouzar says:

Eh Team: A Neal buy-out seems like an obvious solution.Cap savings of $4m over each of the next 3 years, then a cap hit of $2m over the following 3 years.Net savings of $6m pushes the cap consequences 3 years down the round.Plus Neal can be replaced for less than $2m/year easily.

There are arguments on both sides of this one and I’m on the side that a $2M dead cap hit for six years is too egregious even with the $3.8M savings for the first 3.

I’m not so sure 20 goals can be found that cheaply.

101. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t think anyone suggested buying out Russell – the buyout cap hit for next season would be $3M.

There would be more savings by burying him in the AHL (not that they could though – NMC).

The math for a buyout certainly isn’t there but he’s definitely not cheap, via-a-vis the cap, which is what matters for on-ice product.

102. jp says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Russell : buying him out when the cap is tight to play a rookie isn’t the same as Sek IMO. He’s so cheap next year. And that has value. I go on record as saying they don’t buy him out. The math doesn’t favour this approach

Ryan kind of has this covered. But literally no one said anything about buying out Russell. You can search the thread.

103. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:

I’m not so sure 20 goals can be found that cheaply.

Wait now… This guy

OriginalPouzar:

7) Neal – 4th line scoring rates at 5 on 5 – even with plenty of McDavid/Drai time

IS worth more than $2M per?

104. who says:

OriginalPouzar: I wouldn’t – that leaves Bouchard as the third right shot D on the depth chart and no right shot D in the organization even close to NHL-ready (well, except Berglund who won’t be available).

Yeah, you said that.
    If Jones and Russell can play the right side better than Bouchard right now, why are you so sure that the coach will play Bouchard ahead of them.

105. defmn says:

One is not replaceable for $2M while the other does make sense to buy out.

We will know more by the end of the season I would think.

106. Eh Team says:

OriginalPouzar: I’m not so sure 20 goals can be found that cheaply.

Neal isn’t producing 20 goals next year either. Benson is more than adequate to replace Neal.

107. Eh Team says:

defmn: Depends whether they get back the early season Neal or the post injury Neal imo.

One is not replaceable for $2M while the other does make sense to buy out.

We will know more by the end of the season I would think.

Take Neal off the powerplay and he has 7G- 7A this year. That’s really easy to replace. And they don’t need him on the powerplay.

108. €√¥£€^$ says:

Eh Team,

Taking this a bit further to illustrate how his production dropped off after a good start, Neal scored 3 goals and 5 assists 5 v 5 after the 8th of November.

109. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: Except there aren’t many such teams – maybe a couple.

Habs will have something like $19 million in cap space this off-season. Domi to sign.

Rags will have $14.3M in space, Strome and Deangelo to sign.

Red Wings have $35.3M in space. Mantha the biggest name. Howard too if they choose to ink him.

That was the first three I checked… *keeps looking*

Buffalo has $34.3M. Lots of UFAs they could wave goodbye to.

Devils have $26M. Panthers $21M. Sens $39.5M. Avs $22.4M. Kings $20.7M. Sharks $14.8M. Cowtown $16.9M. Minny $16.2M, Dallas $19.5M. Jets $15.5M.

lol…Are we at a couple yet?

110. OilClog says:

Harpers Hair:
    I’ll just leave this here.

Oilers 10th defender does this in his sleep. You should seek therapy.

111. OilClog says:

Munny: Habs will have something like $19 million in cap space this off-season.Domi to sign.

Rags will have $14.3M in space, Strome and Deangelo to sign.

Red Wings have $35.3M in space.Mantha the biggest name.Howard too if they choose to ink him.

That was the first three I checked… *keeps looking*

Buffalo has $34.3M.Lots of UFAs they could wave goodbye to.

Devils have $26M.Panthers $21M.Sens $39.5M. Avs $22.4M. Kings $20.7M. Sharks $14.8M. Cowtown $16.9M. Minny $16.2M, Dallas $19.5M. Jets $15.5M.

lol…Are we at a couple yet?

OP’s terming for couple is the same as the NHL having 93% of the league qualify for the playoffs lol

112. Munny says:

I want Neal to pop 8-10 goals these playoffs in a long run for the home team.

Then maybe just maybe there’s a steal of a real deal where we can unload him for 2-2.5 retained.

I’d start him on PP1. Time to pump some tires.

113. Admiral Ackbar says:

Harpers Hair:
    I’ll just leave this here.

You really are the Tucker Carlson of this comment section. Your goal is clear, your execution is actually not bad, but it still begs the questions: why bother? and Isn’t there something better to do?

114. Jaxon says:

I really like that lineup. Trying Neal with Benson could be found gold (and a great playoff story). Khaira or Haas as their center would be okay for now. I like the combo of Benson’s vision with Neal’s one-timer on the right wing. If Benson can’t play C, it would be nice if they found a 3C with a bit of a goal scoring touch or if they drafted one this fall. Connor Zary would appear to be a perfect match, a puck possession pivot who scored 38 goals this season.

115. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: Wait now… This guy

IS worth more than $2M per?

Neal still scored 19 goals and would have been over 20 in a full season (even with playing injured and then missing time due to injury). He is a 4th line scorer at 5 on 5 but was a part of 2nd best PP in history.

I would love to be rid of Neal’s contract but to take on 6 years of a dead $2M cap hit is egregious to me and not a great option.

116. OriginalPouzar says:

who: Yeah, you said that.

117. OriginalPouzar says:

Eh Team: Take Neal off the powerplay and he has 7G- 7A this year.That’s really easy to replace.And they don’t need him on the powerplay.

He’s not “needed there” but he’s good there and produces there.

118. OriginalPouzar says:

Rags will have $14.3M in space, Strome and Deangelo to sign.

That was the first three I checked… *keeps looking*

Buffalo has $34.3M.Lots of UFAs they could wave goodbye to.

lol…Are we at a couple yet?

I don’t think your numbers are accurately setting out the cap situation of the teams. The Rangers have $14.3M of cap space, yes, but that is with only 15 players on the roster – they need to add 8 players including Strome and DeAngelo who will likely cost close to $10MM.

I’m not going to go through each of the teams but I imagine the scenario is the same for most.

2/3 of NHL teams were either over the cap this season using LTIR or within a few hundred grands. Ya, there is cap space as contracts fall off but those players need to be re-signed (usually at a raise) or replaced.

119. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: That post was taken out of context – that post was in relation to having enough wingers for three scoring lines if Nuge was placed at 3C.

I feel like you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth a bit.

Neal is a 4th line winger who’s absolutely not good enough to play with Nuge at 5on5.

Then Neal is a 20 goal scorer who’s worth more than $2M.

I get that both can have some truth but it’s tough to argue both sides on consecutive days.

120. who says:

OriginalPouzar: We don’t know if they can play the right side better than Bouchard right now – and “right now” is actually next season.

Your thinking is very rigid. The coach says he prefers lefty righty, so you interpret that to mean all of our RD have to shoot right?
    Let’s look at last year when Larrson went down.
    How many people thought Bear was ready for top 4 minutes? Maybe Bouchard is ready next season.
    And if he’s not, and Larrson or Bear gets hurt, what makes you so sure that Benning moves up to 2RD? Cause that’s not what happened last year. Tippet essentially tried everyone there except Matt Benning. Including Joel Persson!

121. who says:

OriginalPouzar: Take Drai off the PP and he’s got 27G and 66P – still great numbers but not Hart Trophy.

He’s not “needed there” but he’s good there and produces there.

This is a terrible argument.
    Draisaitl IS NEEDED on the powerplay. He is one of the key drivers on it.
    Neal, or Chiasson, are very small parts of the leagues best PP. The Oilers PP would function just fine without them.
    Surely you can see this?

122. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t think your numbers are accurately setting out the cap situation of the teams.The Rangers have $14.3M of cap space, yes, but that is with only 15 players on the roster – they need to add 8 players including Strome and DeAngelo who will likely cost close to $10MM.

2/3 of NHL teams were either over the cap this season using LTIR or within a few hundred grands.Ya, there is cap space as contracts fall off but those players need to be re-signed (usually at a raise) or replaced.

We’ll just go by your guesses then

123. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: I feel like you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth a bit.

Then Neal is a 20 goal scorer who’s worth more than $2M.

He has scored at 4th line rates at 5 on 5 the last few years. At the same time, he proved to be a big part of the best PP in the league this year and PP goals count.

He’s a bottom 6 five on five player that can score on the PP – he’s probably worth around $2M on a short term contract.

124. OriginalPouzar says:

who: And if they are better than Bouchard on the right side next season do you think the coach will insist on playing Bouchard ahead of them because he shoots right?
    Let’s look at last year when Larrson went down.

I don’t think Holland goes in the 2020/21 season without a fourth NHL-proven (or presumed NHL-ready) right shot d-man. Benning (or replacement) is likely there plus Bouchard.

125. OriginalPouzar says:

who: This is a terrible argument.
    Draisaitl IS NEEDED on the powerplay.He is one of the key drivers on it.
    Neal, or Chiasson,are very small parts of the leagues best PP. The Oilers PPwould function just fine without them.
    Surely you can see this?

Of course, Drai is a more important member of the PP but the argument to just take away Neal’s stats and assume that others can replicate them for nominal money is a stretch.

126. who says:

OriginalPouzar: You nailed it at the end, Tippett tried every right shot D-man, including Joel Persson before he finally moved Russell over to the right side for a stretch. That includes Matt Benning who played a few games with each of Klefbom and Nurse this past season.

So then why keep Benning as 3RD if the coach isn’t willing to play him at 2RD in an emergency.
    You just proved my argument.

127. who says:

OriginalPouzar: Oilers PP wasn’t historically good before Neal joined the team – the other 4 members were on PP1……

Are you kidding me?
    The presence of James Neal vaulted the Oilers into the number 1 PP in the NHL?
    Neals role on that PP is easily filled by any number of Oilers.

128. hunter1909 says:

who: Neals role on that PP is easily filled by any number of Oilers.

…like Benning with his 15 goals scored over the last 4 seasons lol