Oilers Scrimmage July 25, 2020

The Edmonton Oilers traditionally have an organized scrimmage during training camp. It was often called “The Joey Moss Cup” and offered fans a chance to look at the future. Today’s final scrimmage before the exhibition game against the Calgary Flames next week is being played in honour of Colby Cave. (Photo of Martin Marincin by Rob Ferguson).

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

SEPTEMBER 2011 JOEY MOSS

Jeff Petry: Midnight without lights or high noon in the center of town, no one can tell me this guy is the 7th best defender in the group. A key player for the Edmonton Oilers, beginning this fall.

Curtis Hamilton: Had an early breakaway (startling, I didn’t know he was playing) and did a couple of things but this won’t be his year to shine at main camp.

Corey Potter: Played the sorties well, knows the angles and seems to have a little better footspeed than someone like Petiot. He played with Lowery, that tandem did some good things.

Phil Cornet: He showed well I thought, involved in the offensive end a few times. He reminds me a little of Trukhno in that he gets noticed early in TC, fades and then doesn’t do much in the AHL. Hopefully he’ll have some sustain.

Teemu Hartikainen: Man he’s going to push Omark if it comes down to that. I felt he had some very good shifts with Smyth and that tandem might get another look during pre-season. How do you hold this man back? I’m not sure you do.

Kirill Tulupov: Raised eyebrows on the Eager belt, concerns on the Hall mauling. I’m not certain he owns the brains God gave him but fear and a sense of the moment don’t appear to be in the vocabulary.

Tyler Pitlick: Seems to have better legs now that the rookie camp is done, I thought he made an impact at several times during the game.

Gilbert Brule: You can see why a team would be attracted to his skill set, and this game works for him on a lot of levels. One of them is shooting, he’s a born shooter. I don’t know what his future holds, but if he plays that way during preseason the Oilers can find him a home.

Lennert Petrell: I thought he’d do more, but he did score a goal and marked his man well a few times (against Hall specifically a couple of times).

Tanner House: Nice goal, aggressive on the forecheck.

Anton Lander: Tough slot to play in, I thought he moved the play forward at times but also made the wrong decision with the puck in a couple of sequences. To be expected.

David Musil: I thought he was fine, stood up at the line well and coverage was good for the most part. Got an assist, but more impressive for me was the ability to move the puck up quickly and efficiently. Good day.

Martin Marincin: I was very impressed with him. Look, he’s young and gangly, but that big stick of his is very effective and makes passes difficult for opposition forwards down low. I really like him a lot, moreso after today.

Ryan Martindale: They need to sign him. Martindale is a big guy and he certainly will need to improve in areas but those hands with that size equals too good to pass up.

Antti Tyrvainen: Plays with an edge, lots of try and seemed to be around the puck a lot. Certainly looked good to me, in fact many of the kids who played in the rookie tournament in Penticton looked good. Probably a reflection of the extra week’s work.

PLAYERS I’M LOOKING FOR TODAY

Andreas Athanasiou: I’m not so interested in where he plays (I’ll guess Sheahan is his center) as how he performs. He does have two-way ability (he had just one negative season in goals-for REL) and showed some of that late in the regular season. AA has enough offense to score from the Sheahan line, so his five on five offense should be useful no matter where he players.

Tyler Ennis looked healthy and effective offensively in his Oilers games during the regular season. He’s in a good spot for another contract if he performs well, but I think coach Tippett will look for the McDavid line to outscore opponents five on five. Ennis will need to be on the good side of the score to keep the job.

Jujhar Khaira has a great shot at center on the fourth line, and if he can make it Tippett would have made every young fringe forward a better player in year one.

Joakim Nygard is on the outside looking in, so will need to wait for a chance or force his way up the depth chart. His speed should be on display this afternoon.

Gaetan Haas is a swiss-army knife who has been blocked by Khaira’s move to the middle. Like Nygard, he needs a break. I’ll be watching him to see if his forechecking and speed have an impact.

Tyler Benson is closer to an NHL job he was a year ago, and we could see him during the playoffs as a fourth-line option. Responsible play and an offensive spark would get noticed today.

Cooper Marody has appeared often on the scrimmage highlights and could take advantage of this playoff window to establish that he’s back from injuries.

William Lagesson isn’t going to get much playing time, but he can show his two-way ability this afternoon.

Evan Bouchard has received very little mention for his play so far, I’ll be checking to see if he still has 10 fingers and toes.

Philip Broberg has been anointed as THE prospect in camp and that brings with it some danger. I’m confident coach Tippett won’t place him in a position to fail and today I’ll look forward to seeing the young man’s foot speed.

158 Responses to "Oilers Scrimmage July 25, 2020"

1. dustrock says:

Let’s goooooo

2. leadfarmer says:

We really need AA to drive that third line against the easies

3. Munny says:

leadfarmer:
    We really need AA to drive that third line against the easies

Sheahan gets the punishing zone starts though.

4. rocket says:

Has anyone confirmed what the overtime format is for the “best of five” series of games? thanks

5. Ribs says:

It would be so great to see AA go full Samsonov and start bolting down the ice with the puck like his pants are on fire. He could be a very useful player in these playoffs.

6. dustrock says:

leadfarmer:
    We really need AA to drive that third line against the easies

All the skills. I’m not sold on his confidence. I’d get him a sports psychologist.

7. dustrock says:

rocket:
    Has anyone confirmed what the overtime format is for the “best of five” series of games?thanks

Play-in best of 5 series are playoff overtime rules.

The round robin games for the higher-ranked teams are regular season OT rules and shootouts.

Ties in the standings broken by regular season points percentage.

8. jtblack says:

rocket:

my understanding is it’s regular Playoff Style OT. They play OT until somebody scores.

9. rocket says:

dustrock,

Okay thanks. I thought that the NHL did not overtimes going on forever given that there are 3 games a day in one rink but glad they are keeping the playoff overtime rules.

10. Munny says:

Ribs:
    It would be so great to see AA go full Samsonov and start bolting down the ice with the puck like his pants are on fire. He could be avery useful player in these playoffs.

Ha! The other night that’s what I said was my hope for AA this playoffs… a Samsonov like outing.

11. Munny says:

rocket:
    dustrock,

Personally, for the play-in round, I think they should go 5 on 5 normal OT for a period, and if there’s still a deadlock, switch to 3 on 3 until there’s a goal. But I can understand the desire for some purism when it’s the playoffs.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

Lineups for today’s scrimmage will be the same as for the scrimmage this past Wednesday.

13. Ribs says:

Munny: Ha!The other night that’s what I said was my hope for AA this playoffs… a Samsonov like outing.

Samsonov was spectacular in ’06!

14. hunter1909 says:

LAST WEEK TO ENTER

Hunter1909 2020 Playoff Death March™

Enter Now!
    It’s free!
    It’s easy!

Go to:

Returning Players: Continue to use your original names for continuity purposes.

15. Ben says:

Looking for skilled young men to fill my Kraken.

16. Pescador says:

Ribs: Samsonov was spectacular in ’06!

That goat in game 6 of the final, I was at that game.
    Just brilliant

17. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Where is this game going to be streamed? Oilers website?

I’m getting tingly…

18. Glovjuice says:

‘Camped’ at the old, closed (due to washout 10 years ago) North Ram River campsite last weekend with Dad and Bro and landed one nice Cuttroat. Headed back to the same area with my better 2/3’rd’s tomorrow but in a real campsite at Fish (Shundra) Lake. I still read this thread each day but could care less about this playoffs. Amazing, really. When Hall went down that rookie year (or was it second year) I was upset 24/7 for a week. Times change. Oh, the new Hum album called Inlet is the best melodic, heavy ‘grunge’ since, well, grunge days. Amazing album. And, have all Neil’s solo and Crazy Horse albums ready to fly all week. Peace Out. And some special genetic expert grown 32% THC weed, Fat Tugs, marinated pork, and cherry smoked maple horseradish chilli ready as well. 💥

CC on ice.

20. OriginalPouzar says:

Corey Crawford is on the ice for practice this morning for the Hawks – that changes things a bit.

His 2nd time on the ice since March – will he be “ready” for next Sat?

21. OriginalPouzar says:

GordieHoweHatTrick:
    Where is this game going to be streamed? Oilers website?

I’m getting tingly…

Yes, all the regular places where they’ve streamed exhibition games in recent years – on the website, on their twitter account, etc.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, AA is a player to watch – from accounts, he is still having trouble finding a line and a role on the team. Given lineups are expected to be the same as last Wed (as per Reid Wilkins), I expect him to start with Sheahan and Archie. In a “perfect world”, I think he’d be flipped with Ennis but, given accounts or recent play, this makes sense.

Nygard is also “battling” for the 2LW or 3LW (or 4LW) spot so, if AA continues to “struggle”……

——————-

Stauff talking about McLeod being closer to playing in this post-season than Benson or Marody. I think that is crazy talk. We know that players with speed generally stand out in camp situations. I can’t imagine McLeod suiting up in the post-season prior to Benson (or Marody).

23. Optimism is like heroin says:

Munny,

AA,s speed should help with zone exits and transporting the puck up the ice.

24. Silver Streak says:

Hey LT …Is this scrimmage streamed anywhere ?? or could it be you are not among the “unwashed” and may be on the ‘ inside today ” ?

25. Silver Streak says:

OriginalPouzar,

Hey OP ….News flash….the NHL is a skating league.

26. ArmchairGM says:

godot10:
    CC on ice.

It’s a bit early to be drinking, don’t you think?

27. Optimism is like heroin says:

Over the course of time here I have seen many comments on unicorns and deploying your forwards in offensive pairs. I wouldn’t mind seeing our centers on 3 lines. McD w Kassian, Drai and yammer then RNH with AA. Would be a chance to have the best player on the ice for 50 minutes in the game.

28. dustrock says:

Silver Streak:
    Hey LT …Is this scrimmage streamed anywhere ??or could it be you are not among the “unwashed” and may be on the ‘ inside today ” ?

Oilers site, twitter, YouTube, & Facebook

29. buck yoakam says:

OriginalPouzar,

I am hoping we don’t need any favours from the slug hawks, bring on crawfish!…he will be facing some of the best shooters in the league and a seriously potent power play. Go Oilers!!!

30. defmn says:

godot10:
    CC on ice.

Phillip Thompson
    @_phil_thompson
    26m
    Corey Crawford gives up three goals in short order during the first period of this #Blackhawks
    scrimmage. Brent Seabrook gets the first goal on him, a little satisfaction he’ll take with him as he stays home for the playoffs.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

Crawford says he had Covid-19 – as per Scott Powers.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Jack Drury is leaving Harvard to play for Vaxjo in the SHL.

No, of course I’m not saying Kemp is that level of prospect but I do hope that he finds a professional league to play pro in this coming season – maybe even an AHL deal and joining the Condors when they start.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Lineups (same as Wed night except Broberg and Bouchard have switched teams as the 5D in each team):

34. Oil2Oilers says:

Andreas Athanasiou was a good bet by Holland. I still hope it turns out.

So far not enough information is available to know if he will workout or not.

The return to play, with its injury clean slate and training camp should provide that info.

If AA can’t find a top 6 job or provide significant out scoring from the third line the Oilers should move on.

No shame on Holland for making.a bet that doesn’t work out, if he is willing to course correct when it does. Also times have changed cap wise and other bets, like Ennis and possibly Nygard, are working.out.

There appears to be reasonably priced left wing options beyond Nuge for next year. Ennis, Benson, Nygard. If AA is not a significant upgrade then try and recapture one of the 2nd round picks and move on. There would be less month to cover at the end of the money.

Go Oilers, Go Oilers ( I am cheering for both teams in the scrimmage)

35. OilClog says:

Crawford’s rusty and physically recovering from the flu, things are looking great for the Mighty Oilers.

Poor Vancouver, had a 9 point cushion disappear before the covid and fell out of playoff position. Now they have to go up against a Wild team that was doing nothing but getting better as the season wore on and a coaching change. They also beat Vancouver 2 out of 3 during the season, even if they had 101 Bilbor Rumpapples it won’t be able save them.

Chaotic Goalpost alignments are heavy on the forecast.

36. Oil2Oilers says:

OriginalPouzar,

Sleeper pick for line of the afternoon is Benson-McLeod-Marody this is bright light big city time for these boys.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

rocket:

Regular playoff OT rules.

38. OriginalPouzar says:

Silver Streak:
    OriginalPouzar,

Hey OP ….News flash….the NHL is a skating league.

Well, I guess he could have “popped” since March but, as at March, he was a bottom 6 winger/center in the AHL….

39. OriginalPouzar says:

Oil2Oilers:
    OriginalPouzar,

That line was productive during the scrimmage on Wednesday…..

40. Silver Streak says:

thanks for the todays scrimmage viewing options…but when the hell does it start ??

41. Silver Streak says:

OriginalPouzar: Yes, and Ryan McLeod, who has high end NHL level skating, is not an NHL-ready player just because of his skating.

OP, McLeod was used primarily as a centre in the Bake …seldom, if any time on the wing…as I have said many times previously….this kid was drafted to be our 3C…he plays a 180 game….great in our end…AND above all, remember you can`t teach speed !

42. JOFA says:

Silver Streak: OP,McLeod was used primarily as a centre in the Bake …seldom, if any time on the wing…as I have said many times previously….this kid was drafted to be our 3C…he plays a 180 game….great in our end…AND above all,remember you can`t teach speed !

Tell Schremp that😄

1 p.m.

43. BONE207 says:

Oil2Oilers:
    Andreas Athanasiou was a good bet by Holland. I still hope it turns out.

So far not enough information is available to know if he will workout or not.

Go Oilers, Go Oilers ( I am cheering for both teams in the scrimmage)

I hope that #12 guy scores…🤣

44. OriginalPouzar says:

Ya, its going to be tough with everyone wearing the same number…..

45. BONE207 says:

Ben:
    Looking for skilled young men to fill my Kraken.

Benny…I didn’t think you swing that way…

46. Oil2Oilers says:

BONE207: I hope that #12 guy scores…🤣

12 is doing great so far, he is all over the ice!

47. BONE207 says:

ArmchairGM: It’s a bit early to be drinking, don’t you think?

It’s game time. Now is a good reason. Hopefully it continues till October

OriginalPouzar:
    Ya, its going to be tough with everyone wearing the same number…..

Being Colby Cave

49. BONE207 says:

Oil2Oilers: 12 is doing great so far, he is all over the ice!

He has a wide range of skills. We should clone him.

50. OriginalPouzar says:

Nurse is a late scratch today – lets remember, he got tangled up and seemed to hurt his knee during the last scrimmage (although I think he was a full participant in practice following).

51. Younger Oil says:

Man, are the play in series ever going to be coin flips.

I would not be surprised to see multiple upsets, and then even more in the “first round”, with the lower seeded teams playing more games, and more meaningful games.

Broberg and AA’s speed have been the stand-outs so far in the scrimmage, the rest is downright sloppy.

52. OriginalPouzar says:

Drai out there with Nygard and P. Russell (Sheahan is nicked up so they are down to two centers right now) and takes a pass from Larsson and rips a one-timer past Mikko.

53. BONE207 says:

Leon…💖

54. OriginalPouzar says:

Bear moves in from the blueline, slips a pass across to Broberg who rips one home on the wrist shot from the left circle.

Great to see!

55. BONE207 says:

Broberg…doing his best basil redundant imitation

56. Younger Oil says:

Obviously early and can’t read into it, but Broberg looks like a stud. Speed of Nurse with the decision making of Klefbom.

57. Oil2Oilers says:

Broberg’s speed is real and it’s spectacular

58. OriginalPouzar says:

They are saying Nurse is a late scratch as a “precautionary measure” – he did finish the scrimmage after getting hurt the other day.

Sheahan will not return – they are also saying precautionary but no info on that.

59. OilClog says:

Broberg is clearly a God just playing human for a cycle, sheesh.

60. defmn says:

Way too soon to project his future but I can’t remember the last time a ‘long shot’ rookie created this much excitement so many days in a row at a TC.
    Usually if there is a spike by a young guy a day or two in a row the vets pay a little more attention to him and the level of play drops off.

He has made himself a story at camp for sure.

61. commonfan29 says:

Will the future pairing be called the Bouberg pair or the Brochard pair?

It’s a real Bro vs. Manssiere situation?

62. BONE207 says:

I don’t why Jack is so enthralled with Smith’s stick swinging. He nearly cranked a teammate in the head & it’s a penalty if it goes over the glass…😖

63. deardylan says:

Today reminds me of..

“16 LD Philip Broberg, AIK (Allsvenskan). He’s big and can skate like the wind, while also displaying puck moving ability. Offense may be shy, but Swedish blue can fool you.”

from LT’s Here Comes the Sun 2019: https://lowetide.ca/2019/06/21/here-comes-the-sun-2019-draft-edition/

64. BONE207 says:

#12 scores…😜

65. BONE207 says:

Neal…👍

66. OriginalPouzar says:

Benning whips home a McDavid feed from the slot for a 2-1 orange lead.

Oooop, Neal makes it 3-1 – rebound in to an empty net.

McDavid is flying out there – doing as he pleases for fun.

67. deardylan says:

That was a Pre-Goal.

McDavid knew it was coming. Not fair having that goal cognition superpower.

Full access to Minority Report. Hope he has Pre-Cup power too.

68. BONE207 says:

Ennis the menace…✌

69. JOFA says:

Bouchard could use another year on the farm or possibly Europe.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

Was tough to see what happened there but Yamamoto just left the ice in pain.

71. Oil2Oilers says:

My figuring out about when to get up and refresh my drink is in pre-season form. I promise to put the reps in and get in game shape for the playoffs.

72. OriginalPouzar says:

McDavid from Nuge and then Benson tips home a Bear shot.

73. OriginalPouzar says:

JOFA:
    Bouchard could use another year on the farm or possibly Europe.

As of this afternoon, he has stood out in a good way for me today – created some offence, passed well, rushed the puck, etc.

74. Younger Oil says:

Tough to read to much into training camp scrimmages, but I’d be very nervous with Smith as the starter. 12 GA in 2 games to Koskinen’s 4.

I know Koskinen was playing for the superior team, but still…

75. deardylan says:

RIP Colby

76. Todd Macallan says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Was tough to see what happened there but Yamamoto just left the ice in pain.

Luckily he was back out for the next shift and looked fine.

77. OriginalPouzar says:

Listening to the post-game – those chops on Kass look like they are fake and painted on – hilarious.

78. dustrock says:

OriginalPouzar: In a normal world, he likely starts in the AHL but would be the first injury call-up on the back-end.

I remember Scott Wheeler’s in depth report on Bouchard ahead of the draft and he’s like “every time I watch him I wonder what he’s doing and then suddenly he has 4 points”

79. OriginalPouzar says:

I watched quite a bit of the Condors and he definitely played the wing more than “seldom” from what I saw.

Absolutely, I think he’s projected as the 3C of the future and I have reasonable confidence that he will get there.

My point was solely that he isn’t ready, or close to ready, for the NHL, let alone center in the NHL (well, at least he wasn’t in March) and that “showing well at camp” as he has doesn’t mean he is ready for the NHL ahead of the likes of Benson.

Assuming the AHL goes, my expectation is for McLeod to be a full time center and full time top 6 center with PP and PK time.

80. Reja says:

dustrock: Bouchard isn’t flashy but he probably mostly wants to be invisible to be honest. Unless you’re scoring like Broberg standing out isn’t always great.

I’ll say it again he’s a point magnet when he’s promoted to PP 1 he’s going to be up there with the D leaders in the league.

81. OriginalPouzar says:

Tip confirms that Nurse will be “fit to practice” tomorrow and doesn’t have an update on Sheahan.

Asked about the goalies and gave a non-answer – both are healthy.

82. OriginalPouzar says:

Listening to Steve Mayer, the NHL’s Chief Content Officer, on bonus edition of 31 Thoughts and he had some interesting points on the “playing field set-up”, being the ice and what will be seen during the play.

Some differences between what we are seeing in the NBA vs. what could be done in the NHL. Firstly, the NBA court is a fully produced being – from the court out. With respect to the NHL, they have to build the production from an existing 19,000 seat arena.

With respect to the giant LED screens, they wanted to block the first rows of seats but, at the same time, needed to worry about the heat of the screens and their reflection on the ice and to ensure they aren’t factors.

Also, they originally were going to have screens behind the nets but that would impact goalie views, for example.

Just some detail I had never thought of that I found interesting.

83. €√¥£€^$ says:

Younger Oil:

I know Koskinen was playing for the superior team, but still…

I thought Koskinen got better as the season went on. I believe he is such a student of the game as such a professional, that he will improve as the playoffs progress.

As a back-up, Smith is very good to have, but Koskinen will get the call if Tippett wants to win.

84. Reja says:

€√¥£€^$: In the last 5 games of the season Koskinen rocked a 0.956 save percentage, while Smith was at 0.895.

I thought Koskinen got better as the season went on.I believe he is such a student of the game as such a professional, that he will improve as the playoffs progress.

I knew Smith would be a good mentor for Kosh plus Kosh didn’t have to babysit and be a interpreter for Jesse. Kosh could solely Concentrate on his own game the different dimensions and the pressures of being in the NHL. Unless Smith tells Tippett he’s not ready he’s starting game 1 he’s Tippett boy from way back and Tippett is a players coach he’s going to give the keys to Smith one last time and take it from there.

85. OriginalPouzar says:

It’ll be very interesting to see what Tip and Schwartz do with the tenders on Tuesday night – will they split or will the Game 1 start get the full game (if they even know who that will be)?

I think most of us feel that, while Koskinen was the better and more consistent tender on the year keeping the puck out of the net, if all is equal, Tippett will give “his guy”, Smith, the nod in game 1.

To this point, at least in the scrimmages, Smith has let in 12 goals in 2 games – yes, they are just scrimmages but, to me, the separation has happened in camp.

Do we think Tippett will actually start MIkko? The better goalie on the year, that was playing better going in to the pause and that has had the better camp (not to mention, is younger and signed for two more years with the team)?

86. maudite says:

I don’t care who they start in net to be honest. As long as whatever happens they refuse to field constant questions until they get it into goalies heads that there is a controversy.

87. maudite says:

I hope tip puts it to bed early with “win and stay in as long as save percentage above .900″….

Seen way to much distraction letting anything start up. Always surprised coaches havent constructed a simple “nothing worth the bother talking about there, let’s move along”

88. Munny says:

Just watching the scrimmage. After one…

Name bars are a huge improvement over the usual anonymous practice jersey. Thank Gord.

What a way to find out what else Broberg has to offer… hold Nurse out of the line-up, lol.

They look like they’re playing beer league though. NHL beer league to be sure but this isn’t a full effort.

AA making me happy so far, showed some speed and footwork.

Didn’t seem like there was many actual shots on net that period.

89. leadfarmer says:

I think we need to know what Koskinen is going forward
    Smith doesn’t have a future with this team

NEW for The Athletic: Will the last stay-at-home defenceman please turn out the lights?

91. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer:
    I think we need to know what Koskinen is going forward
    Smith doesn’t have a future with this team

The “here and now” needs to be primary – the goalie that gives the team the best chance to win right now. The reason you state above is on the list but, in my opinion, is a little ways down.

Of course, the items on the list ahead of it also point to Mikko….

92. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:

93. OriginalPouzar says:

No surprise but Dylan Wells has been released from camp and will not be joining the team in the bubble.

94. DieHard says:

If HH is correct, then maybe Broberg is showing himself early. If he is one of our top 6 right now he should play.

95. Munny says:

Lagesson, Neal, Ennis have all looked good this scrimmage.

KRusty has been HUA so far.

96. Harpers Hair says:

DieHard:

To be clear, I haven’t watched any of the scrimmages but based on second hand reports, this may well be true.

97. jp says:

Munny: Just watching the scrimmage. After one…

Where are you watching? Wasn’t able to catch it earlier…

98. defmn says:

jp: Where are you watching? Wasn’t able to catch it earlier…

99. jp says:

defmn: It’s on Youtube. I watched it live but the audio was about 2 seconds ahead of the visual which made the whole thing a little weird.

Thank you, much appreciated. The audio seems good on the replay.

100. JimmyV1965 says:

DieHard:

101. Munny says:

jp: Thank you, much appreciated. The audio seems good on the replay.

Yup, that’s where I went, and the audio now matches.

102. OriginalPouzar says:

DieHard:

Do we all remember when the likes of Bouchard, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Draisaitl, etc. played NHL games in their draft plus 1 years based off of showing well in camp?

Were any of them ready for the NHL let alone the post-season?

103. Munny says:

I have to agree with Bob, Neal looks like a different player. I hope so, because unless he is and unless AA can truly help that 3rd line, looks like the bottom 6 will struggle to score.

Really enjoyed Lagesson’s game today. He has no polish but he made some good decisions and he wasn’t shy in the OZone.

Ennis is a plucky little thing isn’t he.

Love the team speed we have now. …Although some of that today was delivered by Broberg and likely is not available for this playoff run. Broberg’s going to be better than Nurse one day methinks.

Jones doesn’t look quite tiptop yet, but Gord I hope we see him at some point in the Hawk series.

Connor looks like he really wants to show the rest of the NHL who the actual best player in the NHL is. Jesus.

#WeskateforColby

104. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: We are talking about training camp and intra-squad scrimmages – if Broberg is one of the top 6 d-men on the Oilers for the post-season, then Ken Holland better be doing everything he can to get Filip Berglund over for next season as, last time a professional ice hockey game was played, he was superior to Broberg.

Were any of them ready for the NHL let alone the post-season?

Berglund is 23 years old.

He ain’t much.

105. Munny says:

JimmyV1965: I think this would be a big mistake. Scrimmage and camp is nothing compared to an actual playoff game.

I don’t know if I’d go that far if I was the coach, but it’s an interesting proposition and deserves some thought.

Harpers Hair: Berglund is 23 years old.

He ain’t much.

107. Munny says:

jp: I expect/hope they split the exhibition game on Tuesday. Tippett’s said he expects to use both goalies going forward and I believe him.

100 percent agreed. Gonna take both to take this baby home and might as well get both up-to-speed as quickly as possible.

jp: In terms of who was the better goalie on the year, there’s zero question that Koskinen was better at stopping pucks. But I’ve mentioned before that Smith seems to have actually done things (presumably puck moving, maybe also swagger) to offset that. Despite a SV% disadvantage (.902 vs .917) the Oilers actually scored 116GA-106AG (+10) with Smith in net vs. 101G-97GA (+4) with Koskinen in net. xGF% with Smith in net was 52.5% vs. 47.2% with Koskinen. (that’s why Smith actually had the slightly better W-L record, despite the worse SV%).

As as has been said many times on this site, the team plays better with Smith in net.

jp: Koskinen has been much better in the scrimmages, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised at this point if Tippett went with him in game 1. But the team performance all year with each guy in net doesn’t lead to the clear Koskinen>>Smith conclusion that seems obvious on the surface. I don’t think Tippett is necessarily wrong to value them equally (scrimmages aside).

Nor would I. I doubt Tippett has even decided yet, and it to me it looks pretty 50-50. Tipp knows these two guys better than I ever will, and will be around the two keepers leading into Gm 1, so I trust him to make the right choice regardless of whom he chooses.

108. Munny says:

JOFA:
    Bouchard could use another year on the farm or possibly Europe.

I’m worried already that Oiler fans are going to hate him.

His calmness is going to get taken for nonchalance. Especially if he keeps the actual nonchalance in his game.

109. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Berglund is 23 years old.

He ain’t much.

What in the world does that have to do with the topic of conversation? Nothing.

Brogan Rafferty is 25 years old……. I hear he’s a legit 2nd pairing d-man next year…..

110. Harpers Hair says:

Lowetide: I would say his time is now, making the extra Swedish season a little curious. Of course, Covid-19 made the point moot.

Timing is everything.

111. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny: Stauffer raised a good point today… what if they were to play him against Calgary where the consequences are minimal to see if he continues to look good?

Of course, even if Broberg did play and show well, as its an exhibition game, it can only prove so much – we see solid performances from non-NHL ready players in exhibition games, even late schedule exhibition games, each and every year.

112. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: What in the world does that have to do with the topic of conversation?Nothing.

When Berglund dominates the AHL we can talk.

Rafferty will be a bottom pairing NHL defenseman next season.

Until then, he’s also in picture.

113. Scungilli Slushy says:

It is amazing, despite a lot of personal effort resisting, how much a few people can really drag down the tone and mood here.

I need to give myself another time out.

114. jp says:

A little more on Smith and what he may do aside from stopping pucks… Team xGF% with Smith and the other main goalie(s) on his teams each year (starting in 2008-09).

08-09 TB

18-19 CGY
    Smith- 42 56.2%
    Rittich 45 53.2%

19-20 EDM
    Smith —- 39 52.5%
    Koskinen 38 47.2%

12 seasons. Smith had a better xGF% than his teammate 9 times.
    Smith was never more than 3% worse than his teammate. He was 3% better 5 seasons.

Smith does make his team better, pretty sure. (ofc he then gives most/all of it back)

115. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: The premise seems good and it deserves some thought although, at the same time, I think the coaching staff will want the players for the expected game 1 lineup to get that exhibition game (and I think each of the players will want/need it as well).

Why don’t you want Broberg to be successful?

116. Munny says:

117. Munny says:

As an addendum to the immediately above, I would be surprised if teams didn’t avail themselves of the opportunity to give two more skaters some Ex-time.

In the case of the Oilers D though there is the KRusty-Jones conundrum.

One presumes KRusty will get Gm 1, and I don’t see how I can disagree without contradicting myself on my Smith-starting theories, so I am okay with that. Especially since Jones doesn’t seem all Jonesy yet.

But I don’t see Kowboy playing flawless hockey, and one would think Jones will get a start somewhere against Second City. So you’d probably want to give the Flames game to Caleb over Phil.

But I’m pretty sure Broberg is a better defenceman right now than Kris Russell. And that’s going to bug me.

______

Edit: And the last thing I want to do right now is fuck with KRusty’s trade value.

118. jp says:

Munny:

Yeah it’s been said many times. And Tippett is clearly a believer.

I didn’t fully believe it myself though (maybe this years numbers don’t hold in other years). But looking back further as I just posted, it does seem clear he makes his teams better most of the time.

Munny:

Nor would I. I doubt Tippett has even decided yet, and it to me it looks pretty 50-50.Tipp knows these two guys better than I ever will, and will be around the two keepers leading into Gm 1, so I trust him to make the right choice regardless of whom he chooses.

No, I don’t expect he has decided yet. And so far so good on juggling to goalies, hopefully he keeps making the right calls.

119. Munny says:

jp: Also, whatever Tippett decides, I’d expect he keeps it quiet until game day to keep the Hawks a little off balance.

Yeah, man. No doubt. It’s one of the advantages, might as well exploit it.

120. jp says:

Munny: They mentioned in the same sound bite that the teams are allowed an extra forward and defenceman for the exhibition, so could take their Gm 1 line-up and Broberg.

That would be very un-Holland like.

121. Munny says:

jp,

That’s pretty cool. Thank you for the work you put into it.

122. Munny says:

jp: That would be very un-Holland like.

Heh. Well he doesn’t get to be the picker. Tuff noogies for Old Dutch.

jp: If Broberg is one of the 7D over Jones and Lagesson and Bouchard I suspect it would really mean something. (I don’t think we’ll see it)

Agreed. Lagesson did well for his case today, I thought. Klef, Bear and Broberg were still the three best defensemen on the ice though. But for coaches it’s all about the little things, which are tough to see on a youtube feed. So who knows what they’re thinking.

123. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Why don’t you want Broberg to be successful?

He just turned 19. Quinn Hughes played his 19 year old season in the NCAA.

If the Oilers had 2, 3, 4 exhibition games then, for sure, give him a game.

With one, the players that will be in the lineup August 1 need to play.

124. OriginalPouzar says:

Good info.

I suspect Jones will be the extra d-man.

125. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: success will happen by being played in the appropriate league for the stage of development.

He just turned 19.Quinn Hughes played his 19 year old season in the NCAA.

If the Oilers had 2, 3, 4 exhibition games then, for sure, give him a game.

With one, the players that will be in the lineup August 1 need to play.

So, Bouchard is toast.

126. jp says:

Munny: Heh. Well he doesn’t get to be the picker.Tuff noogies for Old Dutch.

Agreed. Lagesson did well for his case today, I thought. Klef, Bear and Broberg were still the three best defensemen on the ice though.But for coaches it’s all about the little things, which are tough to see on a youtube feed.So who knows what they’re thinking.

Yeah it’s very tough to know.

It would be quite something if Broberg truly has leapfrogged some guys. These are just training camp scrimmages, but they’re also not *just* training camp scrimmages. Great arrows either way.

127. Munny says:

Extra forward for me would be Nygard.

Just because he’s been out of play so long.

128. Munny says:

Harpers Hair: So, Bouchard is toast.

Yes, but topped with smoked oysters and capers.

129. jp says:

Harpers Hair: So, Bouchard is toast.

Odds on Raffy being in the Canucks exhibition lineup? (which I guess would still only make him crumbs given he’s 5 years older than Bouchard)

130. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: So, Bouchard is toast.

I have no idea what you are talking about and I’m done with your bait.

131. Munny says:

jp: It would be quite something if Broberg truly has leapfrogged some guys.

Absolutely. I don’t expect it either. But stranger things have happened and that combo of size and speed has always been a pass card for playing against men.

Be a different story if he sucked in his own end, but he appears already better than Bouchard in that regard, and I think he would give Jones a run for his money.

But at the end of the day, I think his offensive upside is better served by playing tough comp in a lesser League than the best one. Shit though, the confidence he’s showing with the puck when there are guys like 97 on the ice. Or going up against compatriot stars Klef and Larsson. That’s something. It’s tantalizing.

132. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

OriginalPouzar: I’m done with your bait.

You say that, but I don’t believe you.

133. Munny says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual: You say that, but I don’t believe you.

Trust me. Neither does HH. 😉

134. yeraslob says:

Munny,

As one astute poster put it awhile back, he’s a master baiter.

135. Munny says:

yeraslob,

Lol. I think it’s more likely he’s… searching for his lost shaker of salt…

136. Munny says:

By this thinking Jones should have been inserted into the line-up when Bear was. Because Bear revealed himself in training camp, much like Broberg is now, and the last time Bear had played a pro game, Jones was the better defenceman on the team.

137. Reja says:

18-19 CGY
    Smith- 42 56.2%
    Rittich 45 53.2%

19-20 EDM
    Smith —- 39 52.5%
    Koskinen 38 47.2%

12 seasons. Smith had a better xGF% than his teammate 9 times.

138. dustrock says:

Bouchard is Petry. This has all happened before. This shall all happen again.

139. Munny says:

dustrock,

Worse. Schultz.

140. Pescador says:

Munny:
    dustrock,

Worse. Schultz.

I too saw the semblance,
    At the end of the day we both want him to succeed so I will offer 3 points of hope:
    1. Bouchard will have the luxury of playing alongside a capable veteran NHLer when he plays 5v5 mins. Something Jultz did not
    2. Dave Tippett will help to keep Boucherd in a sheltered 3rd pairing roll, and will not throw him to the wolves and watch him get eaten alive without making a change.
    3. Bouchard will not likely have his confidence shattered by being expected to do too much on a shitty team with shitty goaltending and an endless cycle of losing.
    Amazing how many young rookie D look capable on a successful NHL team.
    I believe Jultz would have succeeded if he was just now joining this version of the Oilers, so so different from the team(s) he played on

With due respect for everyone in the conversation, the difference between Petry-Schultz and Bouchard lies in management and coaching. If the men in charge of the team in 2012-14 were still driving the bus, Bouchard would be 150 games into his career, on the verge of a second contract, and the owner of an uneven past.

I wrote about Dave Tippett and young people. He’s good.

142. Brantford Boy says:

Good piece… “In the interests of full disclosure, this is one of my favourite player types, and I’m already in mourning over a future without them.”… I feel the same way… although Coffey was, and always will be my favourite player.

Fitting closer for me as I believe tomorrow is my last day for the Athletic trial… truth be told, I think I only read one other article in 3 months that you weren’t the author… good stuff over there LT… cheers!

143. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny: By this thinking Jones should have been inserted into the line-up when Bear was.Because Bear revealed himself in training camp, much like Broberg is now, and the last time Bear had played a pro game, Jones was the better defenceman on the team.

Point is that year after year after year after year, young talented players, generally with skating as a primary asset, shine during training camp and exhibition games – shit, less than a year ago, some though Ryan McLeod should break camp with the Oilers.

Great arrows up for Broberg, great arrows. I don’t imagine he’s moved himself past Jones or Lagesson (or even Bouchard) in the depth chart for the 2020 post-season.

We’ve seen training camp and intra-team scrimmages……

144. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: When Smith’s on top of his game his puck handling skills throws the oppositions game plan right out the window. Smith’s exceptional puck handling is very underrated on this blog but it’s not by me or the opponents we are facing.

Recall game 2 of the 2019/20 season – Smith did all he could to try and lose the game to the Kings with his puck-handling.

I agree, his ability to stop the puck and pass to the d-man who have released (and can take a pass instead of a hit by a checker) is indeed a material plus.

145. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:
    Bouchard is Petry. This has all happened before. This shall all happen again.

Holland is not McTavish.

Also, Petry was turning 23 before he made the NHL. Petry was definitely under-valued by Oilers management and fans. I don’t see that happening. Broberg shining at a camp will not take the shine off what Bouchard brings when he gets his chance.

146. OriginalPouzar says:

Pescador: I too saw the semblance,
    Amazing how many young rookie D look capable on a successful NHL team.

I agree with all/most of this (although he could play quite a bit with Jones given the incumbent LD and RD ahead of Jones/Bear).

That sheltered 3rd pairing role and Tippett’s (and Playfair’s) ability to do that is key. On that note, its also on Holland to keep that depth on the right side. If Benning is traded and Bouchard comes to camp as 3RD, he is one Bear or Larsson tweak away from the top 4 (subject to Jones/Rusty playing their off side which also isn’t ideal).

147. jp says:

Munny: Absolutely. I don’t expect it either.But stranger things have happened and that combo of size and speed has always been a pass card for playing against men.

But at the end of the day, I think his offensive upside is better served by playing tough comp in a lesser League than the best one.Shit though, the confidence he’s showing with the puck when there are guys like 97 on the ice.Or going up against compatriot stars Klef and Larsson.That’s something.It’s tantalizing.

It really is remarkable what he’s done, given the QoC. Though as much is how much of a surprise it’s been. NO ONE (Holland and Tippett included) expected him to be this close/look this good. We knew he had the tools, that the package is/has come together this well and this soon (seemingly) is remarkable.

Definitely agree that offensive upside and confidence would be best served by SHL/AHL next year though.

148. jp says:

149. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: Holland is not McTavish.

Also, Petry was turning 23 before he made the NHL. Petry was definitely under-valued by Oilers management and fans.I don’t see that happening. Broberg shining at a camp will not take the shine off what Bouchard brings when he gets his chance.

The look of

Nurse Bear
    Klefbom Bouchard
    Broberg Larsson

Is pretty good to me

Cap be damned!

150. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Scungilli Slushy,

That’s pretty close to my ideal alignment in a couple years. Sort of like having three elite second pairs/average+ first pairs.

If Larsson reups at a team friendly number we could have a juggernaut on our back end. Key, I think, is the ol’ handshake agreement concerning the expansion draft. Ditto Nuge. That really opens up a lot of options.

151. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar: Petry was definitely under-valued by Oilers management and fans.

Speak for yourself. Not everyone thinks like you.

I was saying all along Petry would end up playing for a cup winner.

Sheesh.

152. defmn says:

jp: I’m coming around to this POV. But we should also remember that he’s not very good at the actual stopping pucks part of his job. IMO it mostly evens out.

Which shows up in the only stat that really counts – wins and losses. I think we all had this discussion a week or two back. 😉

153. jp says:

defmn: Which shows up in the only stat that really counts – wins and losses. I think we all had this discussion a week or two back.

Yes, but I still wasn’t 100% convinced it was real/repeatable. The W-L, and even the team GF/GA in a single season can be volatile. Smith has boosted his teams performance pretty consistently for his whole career. I’m very near 100% convinced now 🙂

154. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: This is true – difference, of course, is that Berglund wasn’t available to be included in this camp and these intra-squad scrimmages.

No, the difference is that your logic is faulty, and Jones was not inserted into the line-up immediately like Bear was, and that from this evidence, prospects do reveal themselves in camp, often leaping over other prospects.

Don’t make the facts fit your theory. The theory should fit the facts.

155. defmn says:

jp: Yes, but I still wasn’t 100% convinced it was real/repeatable. The W-L, and even the team GF/GA in a single season can be volatile. Smith has boosted his teams performance pretty consistently for his whole career. I’m very near 100% convinced now

I think most think it is related to his puck handling which both gets him in trouble and makes him a favourite with the offensive players but none of that shows up in GAA or SV% so the discussion really comes down to observation and feeling.

Hard to quantify.