“They all look good in suits,” Craig MacTavish once famously said about one of the Oilers rookie camp rosters. They arrive as young men fulfilling a dream, and together build new dreams around glory and touching that big silver Stanley.
In Edmonton, since 1990, those dreams have either been dashed or made good in a second city. This year’s Oilers are in a tough spot, but the dream isn’t over for 2020. It’s not what happens to you, it’s what you do about it.
Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Replacing Tyler Ennis: Ranking the best left wing and backfill Oilers options
- New Lowetide: Oilers’ Andreas Athanasiou gets a push against ‘Hawks. Is it enough?
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers Observations: Analyzing the questions that remain after Game 3 loss
- Jonathan Willis: Through 2 playoff games, here’s what we know about the post-pause Oilers
- Lowetide: How Dave Tippett’s lineup tweaks propelled Oilers to Game 2 win
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: If Game 2 wasn’t Connor McDavid at his best, it was damn near close
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘Just not good enough’: The Oilers have a lot to fix after disastrous Game 1
- Lowetide: Homegrown Oilers players will again take a featured playoff role
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Bang for your buck: Ranking the Oilers based on contract expectations
- Lowetide: Could Oilers’ lack of centre depth mean postseason roster shuffle?
- Daniel Nugent Bowman: What the Oilers should be thinking after watching Chicago in exhibition
- Lowetide: Splitting the Draisaitl line may create hot August nights in Edmonton
- Jonathan Willis: Is Philip Broberg on track to be a top-pairing defenceman?
- Lowetide: Oilers’ productive prospect pipeline a welcome change for playoffs
- New Mark Lazerus and Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Breaking down storylines, scouting reports and X-factors for Blackhawks-Oilers
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers scrimmage: Colby Cave gets Maurice Richard treatment in fitting tribute
- Lowetide: Imagining the city of Edmonton with the Oilers in a deep playoff run
- Lowetide: Ken Holland’s roster construction options over the next five months
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Inside the bubble: Details on where and how NHL players will live in Edmonton
- Lowetide: What should Oilers fans expect from Connor McDavid in the playoffs?
- Lowetide: Dave Tippett’s postseason strategy against the Blackhawks
OILERS 2020 PLAYOFFS
It’s uncertain who will draw in for Ennis but it does appear Athanasiou will get a look on the Draisaitl line for at least part of tonight. I’d run Haas or Nygard, depending on need. Oilers struggling in the dot but Haas is not strong in that area.
OILERS PLAYOFF CORSI FIVE ON FIVE
This is a dream Corsi set and speaks to what is a somewhat baffling 2-1 deficit in the series. The Oilers, from Dave Tippett appear confident, and we should see a desperate club late this afternoon. That doesn’t mean Edmonton will win, as we’ve seen in both the regular season and now the playoffs, the Blachkhawks are a tough matchup for the Oilers.
THE 2020 DRAFT
This is the Bob McKenzie top-16 list and NHLE’s, with my ranking for the players. Men like Mavrik Bourque, Connor Zary and Seth Jarvis are in fact part of my top-20 rankings, and it’s my belief (based on Holland/Wright’s past) the QMJHL and Swedish prospects probably grade out higher than average on the Edmonton list.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
At 10 this morning, TSN1260, we kickstart an incredible weekend of live sports! Steve Lansky from the Inside The Truck podcast will talk Oilers, SC playoffs and Tim Dancy. Matt Iwanyk will join me for Point-Counter Point and talk trees and elimination games in the bubble. Corey Graham, Oil Kings PBP broadcaster, will give us an update on the status of the 2020-21 WHL season. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!