Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020: Oilers vs. Chicago Game 4

“They all look good in suits,” Craig MacTavish once famously said about one of the Oilers rookie camp rosters. They arrive as young men fulfilling a dream, and together build new dreams around glory and touching that big silver Stanley.

In Edmonton, since 1990, those dreams have either been dashed or made good in a second city. This year’s Oilers are in a tough spot, but the dream isn’t over for 2020. It’s not what happens to you, it’s what you do about it.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

OILERS 2020 PLAYOFFS

It’s uncertain who will draw in for Ennis but it does appear Athanasiou will get a look on the Draisaitl line for at least part of tonight. I’d run Haas or Nygard, depending on need. Oilers struggling in the dot but Haas is not strong in that area.

OILERS PLAYOFF CORSI FIVE ON FIVE

This is a dream Corsi set and speaks to what is a somewhat baffling 2-1 deficit in the series. The Oilers, from Dave Tippett appear confident, and we should see a desperate club late this afternoon. That doesn’t mean Edmonton will win, as we’ve seen in both the regular season and now the playoffs, the Blachkhawks are a tough matchup for the Oilers.

THE 2020 DRAFT

This is the Bob McKenzie top-16 list and NHLE’s, with my ranking for the players. Men like Mavrik Bourque, Connor Zary and Seth Jarvis are in fact part of my top-20 rankings, and it’s my belief (based on Holland/Wright’s past) the QMJHL and Swedish prospects probably grade out higher than average on the Edmonton list.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260, we kickstart an incredible weekend of live sports! Steve Lansky from the Inside The Truck podcast will talk Oilers, SC playoffs and Tim Dancy. Matt Iwanyk will join me for Point-Counter Point and talk trees and elimination games in the bubble. Corey Graham, Oil Kings PBP broadcaster, will give us an update on the status of the 2020-21 WHL season. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

558 Responses to "Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020: Oilers vs. Chicago Game 4"

« Older Comments
  1. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

OriginalPouzar:
    The Oilers played the last 8-10 minutes with the intensity that most all other qualifying teams played with for their entire series.

Where was that for the first 3.75 games?

This is the underlying problem with this team for years
    What is the cure for apathy?

2. Zelepukin says:

Professor Q: Let’s hope for Lafrenière.

3. Todd Macallan says:

AA hitting the crossbar on the wide open net with the puck rolling made me feel sick because at that point it was clear they weren’t winning. Agree with the sentiment that if the urgency was there earlier than the last half of the 3rd we would’ve won the series already.

Hey Dave. You should have left the experiments for the regular season.

You outsmarted yourself. Shame on you.

Kenny, that Kassian contract was an albatross.

5. Alpine says:

I can’t do it with this franchise anymore. What an absolutely hopeless fucking team.

6. jake70 says:

Full value for the game loss and series loss. Icing on the cake with the too many men penaltiy.

7. SK Oiler Fan says:

Ben:
    People will blame lots of this on a thin blue line, but the defensive play by the forwards was the tipping point for me.

Doesn’t matter how hard dmen battle below the red line if there’s a guy sipping a cappuccino alone in front of the net.

Yep. Top 2 centers need to be better here. Old man Toes showed them how

8. striatic says:

Why did Tippett have to reassemble the Dynamite line so late just to have it look so good and then be taken away? Added insult to injury to see that line clicking without enough time left and wondering what could have been.

9. Bling says:

I don’t want to pile on too much.

But what was going on with Nurse in the third period?

Missed outlets. Dumps the puck back to the Hawks in the last minute when he should have been trying to retain possession. Missed the net 3-4 times at least with weak shots.

Great play to keep possession alive, and then he…misses the net.

I like the player, but what in the hell was that?

10. Rebillled says:

Woke up in a great mood.

11. Oil2Oilers says:

I will take solace if that is the last game for Russell and Smith in the Oilers uniform.

Signing Bear long term even though money is to tight to mention should be a priority this fall.

Would of loved a few more games to evaluate Hass as 3/4C and Athanasiou as a top 6 winger.

12. gregsaint says:

Well, that was just a lot of feeling bad in summer. Makes me wish hockey didn’t come back at all.

13. Kraz says:

Man what a brutal series for TIppett. He almost lost the series himself. Starting Smith the first game for no other reason other than expierence and past relationships, separating the best line in hockey, not making the right in game adjustments, and finally not even playing his best players. How it took Caleb Jones an injury to crack this lineup is mind boggling. They look like a different team when he is out there. He is a modern defenceman, aggressive smart reads, good outlet passes and knows how to play the possession game. Playing russell over him is complete bullshit.

Anyways its a tough lesson but Oilers will have to learn that 90% isn’t going to cut it in the playoffs.

14. JimmyV1965 says:

Bold prediction. The hawks have won their last game of the playoffs. At least the Habs have played decent hockey. The Hawks have not.

15. gogliano says:

TIppett’s performance this series is Monty Burns pinch hitting Homer Simpson for Darryl Strawberry.

16. JOFA says:

Tough one ladies and gentlemen. Chicago had the better series. Bring on the draft.

17. nelson88 says:

Extremely frustrating end but this is where Kenny needs to earn his money. More singles and doubles in the offseason. Don’t do anything rash and stupid based on one 5 game series in a loopy year.

Hopefully the young oilers (and their old coach) learned that if you take the opponent lightly and spot them a games in a 5 game series your replaying with fire.

18. Professor Q says:

Zelepukin: I would just straight up trade him for a proven 1D. I don’t know who that is but we don’t need another superstar forward. There isn’t enough ice time to give ’em. We were already 1-2 in scoring, best PP.

We’d essentially be Chicago, with Laf taking the Dach spot and hopefully Yamamoto taking the DeBrincat spot.

Broberg and Bouchard adding an extra element?

19. Zelepukin says:

nelson88:

That’s my positive takeaway. This was the loopy year. Way too many unpredictable factors at play. Margin of error is so small in the playoffs and games are mostly be won by who can get back to playing perfect, the fastest.

20. tcho says:

There’s going to be a lot of sturm and drang after this one, and I’m disappointed for sure, but them’s the breaks.

Short series – and basically starting from zero/like preseason. If you come out cold (and the Oilers did, I think – especially their defence), there’s not a lot of runway to correct. The other thing I think is, you have to give the opponent their due. The Hawks aren’t exactly a bad team. 5 fewer wins than the Oilers through the season? I thought they play pretty well.

It’s a real shame though. McD and Drai are defn. in their prime years. If you can’t start winning now…

21. Réal Goudenyéu says:

JimmyV1965:
    Bold prediction. The hawks have won their last game of the playoffs.At least the Habs have played decent hockey. The Hawks have not.

Man what does that say about how the Oilers played?

22. The Trade Guy says:

This bubble hockey is garbage trash and the Oilers looked as disinterested in playing in it as I did watching it (what little I did)

back to my summer!

23. Richard Roma says:

nelson88:

Yeah, Kenney needs to earn his money.

No more $4m cap hit with bonuses 38 y/o goalies with zero lateral movement.

No more contracts for washed up players like Chiasson or Kassian.

24. Professor Q says:

As a long time Browns fan, I guess I am compelled to say that there’s always next year.

Also, to question why I perpetually do this to myself.

25. Zelepukin says:

Professor Q: No money. Offence can work magic. He’s also fairly defensively sound. Those 3 years better be something.

Broberg and Bouchard adding an extra element?

26. Professor Q says:

Zelepukin: Having Laf in the lineup does not move the needle next year. As was said, our best D being two rookies does not win you playoff series.

I would argue that we are seeing the evidence this season that many rookies are actually impactful around the league.

27. Crazy Pedestrian says:

I almost kinda hope that the playoffs get cancelled after the 1st or 2nd round due to a COVID outbreak (but 100% asystematic) in both the bubbles. You know, AFTER the Oilers win 1st overall.

No one gets a cup, and Oilers get Lafrenière.

…almost.

28. JimmyV1965 says:

Frustrating series. The Oil played keep away for basically six minutes last game and got burned for two goals. The Hawks played keep away for the entire third period and part of the second and managed to outscore us 1-0.

29. Rebillled says:

To be honest, of all the teams we could have played.

I did not wanna play the Hawks.

We do not play well against them very often.

30. Todd Macallan says:

Lafreniere is below Connor and Sid and I’d say ahead of Matthews, Eichel and Hall. Absolutely no way should trading 1st ov be considered short of Lindrosesque offer.

31. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Rebillled:
    To be honest, of all the teams we could have played.

I did not wanna play the Hawks.

We do not play well against them very often.

Last 10 games it’s 7-3 Hawks.

32. Halfwise says:

I’m disappointed but life goes on.

I hope the players learned something about intensity. I hope the coaching staff learned something about roster construction. I hope management took note of the weaknesses that management actually created.

This team still isn’t good enough. At least they are improving.

I didn’t learn anything about NHL officiating. It’s still crap, but this game was fine.

33. quade says:

I hope holland is as frustrated with Tippett as I am. It seems Tippett played the line up the gm intended only for the final 7 minutes of a best of 5 series while we trailed…and the team proved that that was always the best configuration. Pretty much every oilers fan knew it too. Don’t start smith first game. Don’t split up the second line. I thought AA looked great on mcdavid’s wing at the end there, which I guess was a bit of a surprise, but I think that is what holland got him for.

34. Réal Goudenyéu says:

quade:

If this is the case I expect a change.

35. flyfish1168 says:

I give Hawks credit. The last team I wanted to face was a well rested still youthful veteran hawks team. They have a good mix of vets and youth. Dach is going to be a great player. Crawford made important saves when they needed it. Toews won battles everywhere on the ice and Keith good at both ends of the ice. That’s why they are a good darkhorse pick.

36. quade says:

Réal Goudenyéu,

I can’t imagine holland was hoping he’d split up the best line in the nhl. I guess I am making assumptions as to what holland intended, but the way it played out is just baffling.

37. rickithebear says:

3 bottom level open ( only scoreable) shot yielding Dmen.
    Klefbom, Nurse, Bear
    Kill playoffs!

You know my history!
    Homeplate, Open/ closed shot, Rovers, VGK selecting 100% of champ roster players.

The facts continue to prove the theories!

38. fishman says:

Réal Goudenyéu,

Woodcroft??

39. Bismarck says:

A lot of criticism of Kenny out there. Some of it is even deserved. Remember this, however; he did not sign Nurse to a long term contract at big dollars. I think this, in retrospect, will prove to be one of his top “non signings”. Nurse cannot be part of the core going forward. He doesn’t bring enough in my opinion. He will likely be an NHL player for many years, but should not be a top pairing option, even though he wants to be paid as such.

40. BONE207 says:

Soooo…we meeting around here on Monday night?

No covid cup in mudville so we can talk about summer drinks & bbq

41. Scungilli Slushy says:

That sucks.

The question is now, are we going down another tunnel of failure, or is Holland going to push it forward?

We all have our opinions.

I don’t have many keepers that played today.

Maybe 5 or 6 players.

JP is also scrambled eggs. They don’t need more of that.

We’ll see what Holland is made of. The time is now.

He doesn’t need 5 years or he’s not worth his salary. At that level of experience.

Best of everything to Connor. It’s a part of the process but sucks big time.

42. Crazy Pedestrian says:

So when is the draft lottery?

43. Kraz says:

This is 100% wrong. He would be an instant 65-70 point player next year.

44. Richard Roma says:

quade:

Smith is done and Koskinen was a heavily sheltered overpriced #2.

45. Rondo says:

Oilers pick #1 or #14 in the 2020 draft

46. Todd Macallan says:

Kraz: This is 100% wrong. He would be an instant 65-70 point player next year.

Agreed. If the pick ends up at 14, it’s Quinn or bust.

47. steelymac17 says:

Bismarck,

I would entertain offers on Nurse if I’m Holland.He brought nothing to this meaning full series and his price will go nothing but north.

48. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Oilers have now missed playoffs 4 of 5 years with McDavid
    And 13 of last 14 years

Good Gord

49. Ben says:

Alright armchairs, if Smith isn’t coming back (and I wish I had more confidence that he wasn’t) who would you target as a tandem for Koskinen?

50. Lucinius says:

Kraz: This is 100% wrong. He would be an instant 65-70 point player next year.

Which would be great. But that puts us down as the Leafs, but with better top 6.

Without great goaltending and good defense you do not win anything.

So, should we trade Lef if we get him? Damned if I know. But there are serious holes in the team that do need to be addressed.

For example; McDavid; as good as he is.. and he is.. amazing, the guy needs to learn to play in his own zone. As does Drai. They both tend to struggle there (one more than the other). So, they need to get better, or paired with guys good enough to deal with it and cover their short-comings.

51. quade says:

Richard Roma,

I don’t disagree with that, but Tippett went against the popular opinion and the numbers to start smith. We need better goaltending 100%, but we have Chiarelli to blame for that situation – mostly anyways. Holland brought in smith but that was likely a reaction to limited budget and limited confidence in Koskinen and limited flexibility on moving Koskinen,

52. fishman says:

Bismarck:
    A lot of criticism of Kenny out there. Some of it is even deserved. Remember this, however; he didnot sign Nurse to a long term contract at big dollars. I think this, in retrospect, will prove to be one of his top “non signings”. Nurse cannot be part of the core going forward. He doesn’t bring enough in my opinion. He will likely be an NHL player for many years, but should not be a top pairing option, even though he wants to be paid as such.

53. Bismarck says:

United Cycle practically guaranteed that we’d win Stanley this year, beating the Canes in 6. What’s happening?

54. Crazy Pedestrian says:

GordieHoweHatTrick:
    Oilers have now missed playoffs 4 of 5 years with McDavid
    And 13 of last 14 years

Good Gord

Yes, but before the COVID snafu, the oilers were were practically guaranteed a playoff spot.

This COVID cup is, for better words, a sham.

55. jasper says:

Credit where credit is due – the Hawks outplayed us. I guess my biggest disappointment was Klefbom and Nurse. They just weren’t good enough to be our top two pair anchors. There were plenty of lineup / linemate decisions I didn’t like but if your supposed best D are not in fact able to handle playoff pressure, I am not sure what our next move is. Anyway Go Raps!!

56. quade says:

fishman,

He has all the tools except for a decent shot – but yeah / other than that I agree with you.

57. jasper says:

fishman,

Agreed … He has such incredible tools but in the end the results were not there

58. gregsaint says:

And sportsnet package cancelled. That lasted less than a week.

59. Bag of Pucks says:

#StinkLikeDerriereForLefreniere

60. Harpers Hair says:

Blue Jackets leading 3-0.
    Favourites falling everywhere.

61. Younger Oil says:

At least we’re not Toronto…

$33M on one line and they can’t even get into the Columbus zone.

62. Todd Macallan says:

Well at least the Oilers tried in gm 4, unlike the Leafs. They must really want Lafreniere hahaha

Edit: nm.

fishman: Nurse has all the physical tools you could want in a D man. Unfortunately his Hockey IQ seems wanting. Can he improve as he is still young??? Right now his ceiling seems to be top 4 at best. Likely wants to be paid as top pairing D which will be a problem.

Nurse isn’t asking for top pairing money. Top pairing money is now $8 million plus. Top four money is $6 million plus. (for UFA’s in their prime).

64. russ99 says:

Ben,

A Koskinen buyout is not onerous, and we save $2M next season on his cap hit, the following 3 years cap hit is $1.3M

If we dump Smith and go after a legit #1 goalie, could happen.

We could offer Benning or Khaira arbitration and open a post free-agent window.

65. Pescador says:

Crazy Pedestrian:
    So when is the draft lottery?

Monday.
    Oilers couldn’t protect the house,
    against a team that no one would describe as a “heavy” team.
    Lose to the Hawks 3 times in 4 games is disgraceful.

66. Lucinius says:

Toronto doing what it can to come back. 3-2 now.

67. jzed says:

McKinnon just won the Hart. Seems to me(in a disappointed, bitter mood) that past Oiler teams always mixed sublime talent and violence. We’ve got the talent part, but not the nasty. Lamb chops did nothing, aside from some infrequent cycling, there was no concerted effort to exact a physical toll on Kane/Cap’t. Serious and Keith. Our last finals appearance featured the Rake and head shot Torres. Remember how Chicago treated the twins?

Anyhow, see you later

68. fishman says:

Oh my a Columbus collapse!

69. Younger Oil says:

Holy 2017 flashback Batman

70. Harpers Hair says:

Lucinius:
    Toronto doing what it can to come back. 3-2 now.

3-3

71. Lucinius says:

And the Leafs tie it up. Bloody hell.

72. Harpers Hair says:

jzed:
    McKinnon just won the Hart. Seems to me(in a disappointed, bitter mood)that past Oiler teams always mixed sublime talent and violence. We’ve got the talent part, but not the nasty. Lamb chops did nothing, aside from some infrequent cycling, there was no concerted effort to exact a physical toll on Kane/Cap’t. Serious and Keith. Our last finals appearance featured the Rake and head shot Torres. Remember how Chicago treated the twins?

Anyhow, see you later

Hart voting was concluded before the play in started.

73. jasper says:

Harpers Hair,

That’s good for Drai….he wasn’t bad in the series but he wasn’t the best player like he was all year.

Dave Tippett with a self-delusional press conference.

Man. In the playoffs you play to win the next game. You don’t worry about long term roster construction.

You can’t put together a balanced roster today, because you don’t have the players. Play the configuration of the roster that gives you the best change of winning today.

You did not do that.

75. Professor Q says:

Todd Macallan:

76. Pescador says:

gregsaint:
    Well,that was just a lot of feeling bad in summer.Makes me wish hockey didn’t come back at all.

I only enjoyed the anticipation,
    Kinda reminds me of something & now I feel shame

77. Todd Macallan says:

Professor Q: I do worry that he might turn into Couturier. Not likely, but similar stories and playstyles, so it could happen.

I understand where you’re coming from, while at the same time this team could use a Couturier more than anything else right now too haha

Couturier is a stud. Why would one be disappointed?

79. OriginalPouzar says:

If we were going to do that, we could try and sign Pieterangelo.

In any event, trading the a pick for a legit 1D – there is no cap room for that.

80. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:
    Hey Dave.You should have left the experiments for the regular season.

You outsmarted yourself.Shame on you.

Kenny, that Kassian contract was an albatross.

He tried – he had move Nugent-Hopkins to McDavid’s line for a couple of games before the pause. He was experimenting but his experiment was cut short before the results.

81. Todd Macallan says:

Now Suter is out for the Wild. This night keeps getting worse.

82. OriginalPouzar says:

Bling:
    I don’t want to pile on too much.

But what was going on with Nurse in the third period?

Great play to keep possession alive, and then he…misses the net.

I like the player, but what in the hell was that?

What’s even more demoralizing is that was Nurse’s best period of the game…..

83. fries n gravy says:

Well shit.

84. Bag of Pucks says:

Knew we were done as soon as Koskinen kicked out the greasy rebound to start the sequence on the first goal. You could see the team visibly sag after that. Can’t win in the playoffs with that kind of goaltending

One of the tallest Gs in the league and top shelf was wide open for the Kubalik winner.

Oilers didnt play well, but they might have made it to Game 5 with better goaltending.

85. Harpers Hair says:

Olli Juolevi draws in for the Canucks.

86. quade says:

godot10,

Well, and the 2nd line of RNH – Drai – Yamo was thriving while McDavid also scored at a reasonable clip and also we won a lot during that time. It’s really brutal that he followed his gut against the general wisdom of most observers on both the splitting of the 2nd line and the starting of smith, and his hunches never paid off and consistently back fired all series and he doesn’t take any responsibility for it.

87. Bag of Pucks says:

Can’t believe Tippett didn’t reunite Connor and Leon after the Kubalik goal. You only get one chance to pull out all the stops. Instead, he reunites the Dynamite line to troll the fans. Because Oilers.

Contrast this with the Leafs game where Matthews and Tavares are played together with the game on the line.

88. flyfish1168 says:

Harpers Hair:
    Olli Juolevi draws in for the Canucks.

Lots of offense from the back in

89. Pescador says:

Bag of Pucks:

Let’s not forget it was 29 in no man’s land on the winner.
    Nothing drives me crazier than watching an Oiler center or Dman vacate the net front to chase the puck carrier behind the goal line.
    I don’t want to be disparaging against Draisaitl, this team is so lucky to have him. But the Oil go no where until they figure out how to defend the home plate.

90. Gerta Rauss says:

Austin Powers with the OT winner on the PP

Game 5 coming up and Toronto breaks the string of teams being eliminated today

91. Bag of Pucks says:

Pescador: Let’s not forget it was 29 in no man’s land on the winner.

The optimal scenario is Bear winning the puck battle, but he didn’t. Story of the series really. Hawks won the lion’s share of the puck battles.

92. Lucinius says:

Yep. Figures Toronto would pull it out, for once. Epic collapse by Columbus.

93. Munny says:

So I guess it was a good game to miss…?

94. OriginalPouzar says:

Rondo:
    Oilers pick #1 or #14 in the 2020 draft

of 15 if Pit wins.

95. Lucinius says:

Looks like the only upside tonight will be the 50/50 total.

96. OriginalPouzar says:

Ben:

Aaron Dell.

Trade for Casey DeSmith.

97. Gerta Rauss says:

OriginalPouzar: or 15 if Pit wins.

oh yeah, I forgot about that scenario

98. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss: Game 5 coming up and Toronto breaks the string of teams being eliminated today

That’s a streak we wanted broken… just by the Wild.

99. OriginalPouzar says:

jzed:

Anyhow, see you later

The voting was done a couple of months ago.

If MacKinnon wins the Hart, he won it months ago.

100. fries n gravy says:

I need an Eastern Conference team to cheer for. Probably for 40 years. Probably for my toddler to adopt. Ideally within driving range of southern Ontario. Definitely not the Leafs.

Any suggestions?

101. dustrock says:

Guys, Lafreniere is a wing. Please stop with the hype. He’ll be a great winger but he’s not Matthews or Eichel.

102. Admiral Ackbar says:

I need therapy because of this franchise

103. Professor Q says:

Let us not forget that we still have Lavoie, too.

104. Munny says:

Did goaltender just rise above 3C for off-season needs or are we putting this on the D (or alternatively Lady Luck)?

105. Bag of Pucks says:

Ben:

Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry are both legit starters. Can Pitt keep/satisfy both? Same question for Grubauer/Francouz?

I like Holtby with Samsonov elevating there.

Greiss is very underrated as well. Perfect 1B.

106. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny:
    So I guess it was a good game to miss…?

Not really – by far their best game of the series.

107. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q:
    Let us not forget that we still have Lavoie, too.

108. dustrock says:

Chiarelli single-handedly destroyed this franchise and was shocked to get McDavid. If you reversed every single decision he made they’d be farther ahead.

Tippett got out coached – he couldn’t adjust, especially when Larsson got injured, but the roster construction is the biggest problem.

The lack of urgency (it was noted outside of Edmonton on Twitter) was surprising. Did the team want to be there?

And Holland is well-versed but very old school and made a bunch of questionable decisions in his last few years in Detroit.

I think compared to last year this season has to be considered a success but they have to make better roster decisions.

Kassian wasn’t an inspiring start. Maybe they can extend Chiasson for another 3 years.

109. Bag of Pucks says:

Why is Broggan Rafferty/Bobby Orr not more noticeable in this Dys/Wild tilt? Strange.

110. dustrock says:

Bear is good but I’m not sure he’s a top 4 on a great team.

Nurse should have been traded 2 years ago but at least my post history backs me up there.

Russell we know.

Larsson’s bad back has been known since 2017 but not a lot of alternatives.

Klefbom has plateaued and he is very much a good defenceman but he’s a great #3 (or 2 on a good day).

111. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Munny:

Team defence
    Lack of positional play, structure And puck support
    They had it at the start of the year But not at the end of the year

112. Pescador says:

Bag of Pucks: Tough sequence. Bear was clearly losing the battle to Toews and Leon went into help, getting there a day late and a dollar short. Yes, he can hang back to mark Kubalik, but if Captain Serious walks out front for a shot in close, we’re criticizing Leon for not helping to outman the opposition in the defensive zone scoring area.

I don’t want to single out 29, that type of play/goal is a team failure.
    The goals never come from behind the net, its always the shooter in front that needs to be checked.
    Bottom line for me was, Chicago scored this way several times.
    Nurse, Bear, Russell were all guilty.
    I don’t k how if the Oile scored a goal this way, maybe 1?

113. dessert1111 says:

Oilers deserved to win that game but that happens sometimes. Sucks that it happened in an elimination game.

Overall the series was pretty even, I’d say the Oilers were a bit better overall but not so much that it’s a shock they lost. Chicago played well, credit to them for that.

The roster holes are the same as they were before today. Might need to trade a LD for a forward, and we need a strong goalie long term. I don’t think the roster is that far away.

114. dustrock says:

Lotta talk about “bad bounces” and “Oilers deserved better”. Did they? Compete level was at a November level.

115. Bag of Pucks says:

Pescador: Fine points but Toews walking out front for an easy pot had a very low probability to my eye.
    I don’t want to single out 29, that type of play/goal is a team failure.
    Bottom line for me was, Chicago scored this way several times.
    Nurse, Bear, Russell were all guilty.
    I don’t k how if the Oile scored a goal this way, maybe 1?

A healthy Larsson might’ve helped.

Weird that Hall was the injury prone player at the time of the trade, and Adam’s been the more injury prone player since. If it wasn’t for bad luck…

116. Gerta Rauss says:

Munny:

Well, they need both, but yeah, a G is a priority and they need to factor in the expansion draft in their decision making

Expansion draft rules require each team expose a G with at least 1 year left on a contract (or an RFA with an expiring contract)

Koskinen meets this criteria

So if they plan to expose Koskinen, do they sign an established G to a 2 year deal..?(Griess)

Or do they go after a younger goalie and have a succession plan in place when Koskinen leaves (either via expansion of letting him walk in June ’22)

Whatever they decide, it can’t be Mike Smith

117. OilClog says:

Tippet had 2 fucking lines
    Nuge, Drai, Yamo
    Warm body, McDavid, Warm Body.
    Like wtf is he talking about? Is this man smoking crack? How are professionals this fucking brain dead stupid.
    This post game scrum, Dave Tippett can go fuck himself. What series was this man watching?! This man is on drugs, I’m high as shit on some black dawg concentrate but what even is this Dave Tippett!?! Dave Tippett needs to move on, there’s no hope with this fool. Can’t be a one line team… You weren’t a fucking one line team until you decided to fuck yourself in your own ass with your crackhead brain. Holy fuck.

Dave Tippett couldn’t coach himself into evenly spreading mayonnaise on his sandwich if there was even a shred of possibility he may never get another sandwich was on the line. If pressure is a coming, Dave is already 3 feet in his own shit.

Why wasn’t Kassian ready to go, Dave Tippet doesn’t motivate others past May and before September.

Why was Klefdumb looking like a real sap out there, because Dave Tippett says fuck preparing my players.

Why the fuck was Mike Smith allowed to be in net for 5 goals against in game 1 when clearly after the 2nd goal the entire damn team gave up because they knew there was a bumbling rickety old man between the pipes that couldn’t help himself but to also shit his pants 3 feet deep and have a pool party with Dave.

Newsflash Dave Tippett, you were a 2 line team until you decided that the best line in hockey was apparently never a line at all but perhaps maybe some lines of laced cocaine that all sent us on some God damn trip to Narnia and in Narnia there was magically 2 lines and a damn coach that God damn owned up to something anything but no.apparently you’re burning the bridge to act as a side dish to this alienation August.

There’s a 1 minute left in the season and Archibald and a Russell are on the ice trying to get a goal.. But eh send you death stares at Koski because you fucking put Mike Smith in net game one.

McDavid, Nuge, Drai had over 20pts in 4 games Dave. You weren’t a one line coach. You’re just done.

Imma stop ranting and go shit myself 3 feet deep before i continue my fuck Dave memoirs while becoming an angry old man slowly.

118. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar: We do but he hasn’t even played a pro game and is likely not an option until well in to the 21/22 season.

And this is an issue for the future of the team, how? Obviously we look to Benson first, but we’re talking future contributions here. If he ends up being a good contributing winger, and can form a side pairing (if Edmonton ends up with Lafrenière), then Bob’s your uncle.

It’s just a good thing of note in these depressing times.

119. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:

Why would have have been shocked to get McDavid – he was hired after the Oilers had won the lottery.

120. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:
    Bear is good but I’m not sure he’s a top 4 on a great team.

Russell we know.

Larsson’s bad back has been known since 2017 but not a lot of alternatives.

Bear was a rookie NHL player this year. He’s already a legit top 4RD, bordering on a legit top pairing RD and he should be getting better for the next 4-5 years.

Larsson missed a few weeks with a bad back a number of years back. I have seen it mentioned but no evidence whatsoever that he suffers from chronic back issues that effect his game. Aside from that few weeks in the year his farther dies – he missed 2 practices during training camp with a “tight back”.

Where is this evidence that he deals with chronic back issues? Honest question.

121. Munny says:

dustrock:
    Lotta talk about “bad bounces” and “Oilers deserved better”.Did they? Compete level was at a November level.

I haven’t had a chance to look yet tonight, but didn’t we out-shoot and out-chance them? On the series too? Battles must’ve been close. We certainly didn’t win the ones that led to goals against, sure.

Which could also be taken as evidence that goalie might be the place the team could be improved the most. Either our goalie is getting out-played or our luck sucked.

I also don’t want to risk doing too much to the roster on a small sample size of losing when the bigger sample indicates winning. Every player has flaws. But if the mix of flaws you have in your roster can produce positive results, you accept it and continue to improve where you can, incrementally.

Which team do we have… the post-season version, or the rest of 2020?

…a question further confounded by the unusual nature of the bubblicious playoff. I don’t envy Holly.

I think if we look at what we expected this season coming out of training camp, I think from that perspective we’d call this season above the expectation of most fans. A step forward despite not taking advantage of the opportunity they earned.

(I wonder too if Connor was playing hurt these past two games.)

122. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

I had a lot of respect for Dave Tippett before this series started. I thought he knew what he was doing. But he is showing the same basic and critical mistakes of others that have come before. He is doubling down rather than admitting to making mistakes and learning from them. In his post-game presser the only player he threw under the bus was MK. After not starting him in the series and then calling him out after the series is not a way to build trust and confidence in your “#1 goalie” for this year and the next 2. The coach clearly has no confidence in him and that is going to affect the player this series and moving forward. I don’t expect a lot of confidence for the player next year.. Time to start looking for a new couple of goalies. He also made it sound like the dynamite line was a one-off fluke that should not have really happened if not for injury to McD. Like wow – pull your head out of your ass. I understand he wants balance in the top 6, but he should have shuffled things around before the last 7 minutes of the series. How can the rest of the hockey world see this mistake but not the head coach?

And I don’t even know what to say about Nurse admitting that he (if not the team) could not get up for the play-ins against Chicago but they could get up for an exhibition game against the Flames. This is a major red flag for a lack of synapse capacity. Core schmore.

123. hags9k says:

Tippett’s post game re: balance and need to be more than a one line team, made absolutely no sense to me. How is having one line doing very good a detriment? So instead of having one line humming, we had zero. Yeah that’s better!

You have 97 surely you can cobble together some form of a second line. Seriously the lack of Nuge Drai Yamo line was criminal by our coach after what they were doing in the reg season. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth!!

The call is coming from inside the house.

124. OriginalPouzar says:

Warm Body / McDavid / Warm Body

Sorry but that does not work.

Tippett said he needed more than one line and, frankly, he was right.

In the teams last 20 games, of which McDavid played 13, McDavid had a 47% goal share

In 2020, in which McDavid played 20 games, he had a 50% goal share.

McDavid was not winning the goal share battle. That’s egregious.

Something needed to be done to help McDavid – yes, he has shown that he required help.

Yes, it sucked that Nuge was taken off that line, and maybe it was the fatal decision, but to say that we had two lines without it isn’t really true. The Oilers were losing with McDavid on the ice.

125. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Warm Body / McDavid / Warm Body

Sorry but that does not work.

Tippett said he needed more than one line and, frankly, he was right.

In 2020, in which McDavid played 20 games, he had a 50% goal share.

McDavid was not winning the goal share battle.That’s egregious.

Yes, it sucked that Nuge was taken off that line, and maybe it was the fatal decision, but to say that we had two lines without it isn’t really true.The Oilers were losing with McDavid on the ice.

126. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Warm Body / McDavid / Warm Body

Sorry but that does not work.

Tippett said he needed more than one line and, frankly, he was right.

In 2020, in which McDavid played 20 games, he had a 50% goal share.

McDavid was not winning the goal share battle.That’s egregious.

He can improve his goal share by being more attentive to defensive details in his own end. That is another hard lesson that has to be learned.

I look forward to seeing different wingers with McDavid next time there is a season.

127. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss,

The cap will make the decision I imagine. Option 1 if salaries are suppressed enough by the lack of generally available cap.

128. Munny says:

Huge goal for the Wild.

129. hags9k says:

OriginalPouzar,

Have to disagree here OP. I think he dulled the best spearhead he had.

McDavid may or may not have been able to figure it out away from Nuge but I think you had to leave that Drai line alone. They were winning games for us.

130. Harpers Hair says:

hags9k:
    Tippett’s post game re: balance and need to be more than a one line team, made absolutely no sense tome.How is having one line doing very good a detriment?So instead of having one line humming, we had zero.Yeah that’s better!

You have 97 surely you can cobble together some form of a second line. Seriously the lack of Nuge Drai Yamo line was criminal by our coach after what they were doing in the reg season.Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth!!

The call is coming from inside the house.

The Oilers have only three top six forwards.

Paying your top two players a huge cap hit is a real issue unless you can find great value in the bottom six, on D or in goal.

Overpaying players like Kassian, Chiasson and Koskinen, and also carrying dead money from buyouts and retained salary in trades absolutely limits solutions.

131. jp says:

godot10: Nurse isn’t asking for top pairing money.Top pairing money is now $8 million plus. Top four money is $6 million plus.(for UFA’s in their prime).

Only 9 D are scheduled to make $8M+ next season.

Nurse is slated to be paid as the #37D in the league at $5.6M (that will drop some for sure, but still..).

He’s also not being paid $5.6M as a UFA, that’s his last RFA deal.

I’ve generally been a Nurse supporter but he wasn’t great in this series and he will most definitely not be paid like “just a top 4D” next season.

132. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Does anyone know what happened to Larsson?

133. McSorley33 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Where was that for the first 3.75 games?

It is not just you and me that feels this way.

Both Louis Debrusk and Chris Cuthbert just said this same thing, Every square inch in this Vancouver vs. Minnesota game is being contested. A fight. Nastiness. Feels like playoff hockey.

134. Buddy says:

Just finished watching off the PVR. That sucked.

135. Harpers Hair says:

jp: Only 9 D are scheduled to make $8M+ next season.

He’s also not being paid $5.6M as a UFA, that’s his last RFA deal.

There are five young D on ELCs who are easily top pairing D who will surpass that figure in the next couple of seasons.

It is skewing younger all the time.

136. JimmyV1965 says:

I see lots of people are blaming the coach. There are many reasons why the team lost, starting with the goaltending. Coaching is pretty low on the list of reasons why this team lost. The coach is a convenient target for angry fans, just as it has always been.

137. Bling says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Warm Body / McDavid / Warm Body

Sorry but that does not work.

Tippett said he needed more than one line and, frankly, he was right.

In 2020, in which McDavid played 20 games, he had a 50% goal share.

McDavid was not winning the goal share battle.That’s egregious.

I agree with OP.

Tippett is taking too much flak.

Loading up on one line is a problem when you need two lines to go up against the Toews and Kane lines. Strome isn’t chopped liver, either.

They had a game plan — a sensible one, IMO — and sometimes things don’t work out.

I think Larsson was sorely missed. As LT says, young D will break your heart. Bear is the goods but he lost a key battle on the winner today and deflected the dagger two days ago.

138. JimmyV1965 says:

Interesting that Nurse is getting so much hate today. I thought Klef was much worse this series. The Bear-Nurse pairing was easily the best, although that’s not saying much.

139. Harpers Hair says:

Chris Tanev looks like a hobo.

140. Ribs says:

JimmyV1965:
    I see lots of people are blaming the coach.There are many reasons why the team lost, starting with the goaltending. Coaching is pretty low on the list of reasons why this team lost. The coach is a convenient target for angry fans, just as it has always been.

With that said, this years verison of the playoffs has been very strange. There has been a lot of variables that have been added to these initial games. I think some upsets were to be expected and we unfortunately ended up on the wrong side of things. Them’s the breaks.

I am chosing not to get too upset over this. I am glad we got to see them play a few games again. There’s still a lot to like about this team. I am expecting a winning season next year!

Thank you to all commenters on this wonderful website and an even bigger thank you to our host for another year of exceptional insights and stories.

141. Suntory Hanzo says:

Ribs,

Very well said. I was angry, but then took a walk around the block and reassessed.

Yeah, Smith shouldn’t have started, but the team treated game 1 like an exhibition game.

The lack of intensity added with the lack of switching up the key lineups played a role.

Larsson is a key playoff performer. He can rickibox the shit out of players.

We can debate the format, but as others have said, as the upper seed we should have won. But we came up lame.

Still waiting on the 50/50

Clap clap.

142. Scungilli Slushy says:

Bear had a rough game, but being boarded that hard might have affected him. Again, no call ona dangerous play. You can’t blame the reffing for losing, but to me it had an effect on the series that they couldn’t overcome.

A call on the two hits from behind might have help change moment. Instead the mentally fragile team has to suck it up, again.

Although, as a player that would piss me off so much motivation wouldn’t be a problem.

143. Scungilli Slushy says:

Trying hard for the Oilers largely involves starting to run around and force low percentage plays. You could see the patience and strategy in Toews play. 3 Cups worth.

Probably why Tippet was playing Arch and Black Hole er Russell. Because they work the plan, another message sent.

144. Scungilli Slushy says:

Koskinen is a bland goalie. Still Kubalik had to snipe his goal.

The Oilers had more scoring chances, but don’t have a single pure shooter on the team.

They put it straight into the crest repeatedly. Especially Nuge. Crawford made a couple of fortunate starfish saves, but on a lot of the rubber he took he only had to hang onto it so no rebound, didn’t move an inch.

How often do we see an Oiler score bar down or top cheddar?

The team’s top players need a checkup from the neck up. Hopefully they had their ‘Islanders’ moment that the previous incarnation had and see what t takes to win in the playoffs. Bloody and bruised.

The main thing they took from playing the 4 time champs was defending like your life depended on it. A big step for a team that played the reg season without a defensive system so the players said.

You can’t outscore sloppy positional play and lost assignments and battles.

Also it should be noted Crawford had far more support than Koski. They defended the key far better, their net front, and forced a lot of perimeter shots. The Oilers did little of that. And when they did force the Hawks to use the point they allowed loads of clean look shots.

145. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

JimmyV1965:

So you think Coach Tippet has no responsibility in the performance of the team and the loss?

Give me #%^#$ break.

146. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Bling: I agree with OP.

Tippett is taking too much flak.

He deflected it wide. It then went off Toews.

People are assigning way too much blame to Bear on that goal.

Larsson, Klefbom, and Nurse generally SUCKED in the whole series. No one consistently covered the front of the net.

147. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

JimmyV1965:
    Interesting that Nurse is getting so much hate today. I thought Klef was much worse this series.The Bear-Nurse pairing was easily the best, although that’s not saying much.

Nurse is supposed to bring toughness to the D. Did he hit anyone? Did he take out guys in front of the net (without pushing them on top of the G)?

148. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Ribs: There’s a lot of things a coach can do to respond to certain situations in important games. It looked like Tippett was fine with “believing in his guys” and “waiting for the tide to turn”. This can be a deadly strategy in the playoffs. Especially in a shortened round. We needed “Playoff Tippett”, and didn’t get him. It began with Mike Smith starting game one and ended with a bench minor in the final two minutes of a series deciding game. It’s a rough look. He’s gotta wear it, but he seems like the kind of guy who learns from his mistakes and improves upon himself when necessary.

Yes, Tippett should be looking in the mirror and stating so publicly instead of throwing key players for next year under the bus, namely MK and KY.

Not starting MK in game 1 has more consequence than simply viewing it as “starting Smith instead”. MK is supposed to be the starter here for next year at least. He had the better numbers this year. He should have played game 1, no questions. NOW he is going to be questioning WTF he is doing on this team if his coach views him as #2 to a 38 year old has been.

KY did not get any points, he took at least 1 bad penalty. But he PK’d well and he forechecked like a demon and caused turnovers that led to goals for his team. I didn’t see him ducking out of blocking shots at the point like $3.2M veterans.

But hey coach, pick the low fruit with near-sighted damaging comments and hope for the best next time there is a season…

149. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Also, how many coaches on this board would put offensive all-star Kris Russell out in the last minute of a game when you NEED a goal?

EDIT: My mistake – KRusty did score a lot more goals than other Oilers in this series, they were just in the wrong net, so I guess I see Tip’s logic now.

150. UnjustEnrichment says:

The coach was not perfect in his choices, but I do not ultimately blame the coach for what happened. I think the players, for the most part, were not able to generate enough intensity both individually and collectively. That is inexcusable given how privileged they all are to play the game of hockey. Why is there no roaring internal flame in some of the players? Hard to say. But I suspect that the team is missing an element of leadership within the locker room. The team has lots of talent, but no real team leader who can rally the forces with well-chosen, inspiring words in the locker room. I base this assessment on the woeful inadequacy of what players say when they are being interviewed by the media. They speak in cliches. They usually have nothing specific or moving to say. They are boring and uninspiring. It’s almost as though they do not want to talk or, by their very nature, are disinclined to talk. They act as though it is not part of their job, even though fans want to hear from them off the ice as well as on the ice.

As I recall, Bobby Orr was never a captain, yet he was an indisputable leader on the ice. I think the Oilers and many other teams today assume that the captain of a team must be the most talented player on the team. This erroneous assumption frequently leads to the creation of a team without an articulate, persuasive leader who can verbally communicate what needs to be communicated behind closed doors and to the media. A team without a head. A well trained body without a well-trained mind. We all love Connor McDavid, and he is definitely a leader on the ice; but he was never meant to be a captain. He was meant to be a Bobby Orr type player, which is no insult. The captain of a team has to be more outspoken and articulate. He has to be able to look other players in the eye in the locker room and say what needs to be said. He needs to be able to call all members of the team to action when action is required. This team needs a Mark Messier.

151. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

UnjustEnrichment:

Very nice post. I was thinking the same thing this morning. Can’t undo this at this point in time, it was also cliche to hand the C to Connor when the team did. That ship has sailed. He leads by example and he tries to outscore his defensive liabilities, but until he plays a complete game in his own zone, those “bad” examples are going to permeate into the rest of the team. I have seen him play excellent in his own zone, when he wants to. I have seen Drai play excellent in his own zone, when he wants to. I cheer like hell for (“love”) these 2, but until they consistently play solid D zone and lead by example, they will not come close to lifting the SC.

The Oilers management, after prematurely giving the C to McD, have been flailing to find the in room leadership a young team needs (needed). They thought that might be Lucic, but umm no. The winter’s are too dry and it makes his skin dry and stuff. The trade for Neal was also an attempt to correct this – he has experience, but I don’t think he is the guy in the room to do this. I don’t know who that person is, but I think finding the appropriate veteran can right this ship and help Connor in a leadership role – he can’t pull this whole team with his offensive gifts (which ARE “other-worldly”) alone.

152. OriginalPouzar says:

hags9k:
    OriginalPouzar,

Have to disagree here OP.I think he dulled the best spearhead he had.

McDavid may or may not have been able to figure it out away from Nuge but I think you had to leave that Drai line alone.They were winning games for us.

You point is valid but its not disagreeing with what I said.

I didn’t say I agreed that the Nuge/Drai/Yama line should be broken up but simply that the “McDavid line” wasn’t working and the position that any two wingers can be put there will make it a top 6 line wasn’t proving right – the Oilers were losing with McDavid on the ice at evens. Yes, he himself can play better defensively but the coaching staff (along with management) needs to find him a linemate (or two) that he can play with and win the ice. Shouldn’t be hard but it seems it is.

153. OriginalPouzar says:

GordieHoweHatTrick:
    Does anyone know what happened to Larsson?

Not officially but it looks like he may have blocked a shot off the foot/ankle nearing the end of game 2.

154. OriginalPouzar says:

Nice post and I generally agree.

I am also not overly upset – disappointed but not emotionally charged.

What is more disappointing is the vibe of Oil Country is going to be, well, not great, over the next few months. Reading, posting, listening, responding is likely to be less “fun”

Lets not put more value on on how players played in a 4-game sample in August after a 5-month break than the course of the season (or season). Kris Russell was better than Oscar Klefbom in the last week but Kris Russell is not a better player, for example.

155. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy:
    Koskinen is a bland goalie. Still Kubalik had to snipe his goal.

How often do we see an Oiler score bar down or top cheddar?

You can’t outscore sloppy positional play and lost assignments and battles.

Lavoie is a pure shooter in the org but, although he’s trending well, we don’t know if he’ll ever “make it” as a top 6 and, even if he does, it won’t be until in to the 2021/22 season, at the earliest.

Maksimov is a potential option there but, of course, he is even less assured of being an NHL player – but, if he does “make it”, he was a great release and an NHL shot.

156. Jaxon says:

I know some will think this is insane to even consider but I think I’d rather have Byfield than Lafreniere if the Oilers drafted 1st overall.

157. The Trade Guy says:

I’m thinking a lot about LT’s article from earlier this week about the coach making changes and being judged on if it results in a win or not.

Its taken a new shine from the one it had around Game 2.

158. Ice Sage says:

Sigh… it’s going to be a long summer… wha? wait

« Older Comments