Squeeze Box

The Edmonton Oilers were under the gun, and (led by Connor McDavid) delivered a strong effort against the Chicago Blackhawks last night. The series is tied 1-1, we can discuss a new No. 1 line, a massive goal by James Neal, fine goaltending (especially in the first period) by Mikko Koskinen and some solid defensive play. What won’t we discuss? The draft.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

THE LINES

Line 1 five on five: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins-Connor McDavid-Josh Archibald played 9:28, going 15-5 Corsi five on five, 6-4 shots, 2-1 goals and 5-1 HDSC.

McDavid was fantastic from the start of the game, giving Edmonton a 2-0 lead before the couch seats were warm and playing a strong game overall. His second goal was impossible. If attention to detail was an issue for the Oilers in game one, 97’s precision and excellence early set the tone for the rest of the game. I know math and stats and analytics don’t value ‘rising to the moment’ but in the lore of McDavid this game is a building block for the story we’ll write in our mind’s eye. Incredible talent. Nuge had three assists, Archibald is a game rooster, 97 is a superhero.

Line 2 five on five: Tyler Ennis-Leon Draisaitl-Kailer Yamamoto: played 9:31, going 13-7 Corsi, 6-5 shots, 1-2 goals and 5-1 HDSC.

Ennis scored a big goal and had four shots on net. He also had three high-danger chances. Yamamoto had two high-danger chances and made a key play on the Ennis goal (should have gotten an assist). A rare quiet game for Draisaitl offensively, but he was effective, skated miles and had several good chances.

Line 3 five on five: Andreas Athanasiou-Riley Sheahan-Zack Kassian played 7:19, 9-6 Corsi, 5-3 shots, no goals and 1-0 HDSC.

Athanasiou was impressive, I honestly had to check myself to identify who was doing these great things on the Sheahan line. Kassian’s presence may have made a difference, but AA had a HDSC and drew a penalty. If this line gets rolling, the Oilers have a story to tell.

Line 4 five on five: James Neal-Jujhar Khaira-Alex Chiasson. The line played 7:13, 5-7 Corsi, 5-2 shots, 1-0 goals and 2-3 HDSC.

The James Neal goal was massive. Khaira was a wrecking ball, three HDSC on the night and four shots on goal. Chiasson’s goal came when the game was secure but offered more insurance and in 2020 more insurance is a great idea.

THE PAIRINGS

Oscar Klefbom-Adam Larsson played 15:33, going 11-11 Corsi, 4-6 shots, 1-0 goals and 5-4 HDSC.

The outlet usage above might be an anomaly, but we should follow it this series. I haven’t seen any indication Klefbom is less than 100 percent, so it might be planned or a reaction to Chicago’s forecheck. This pairing was on the good side of the puck often, recovering from a tough outing in Game 1.

Darnell Nurse-Ethan Bear played 15:12, going 21-13 Corsi, 13-7 shots, 2-2 goals and 8-2 HDSC.

Nurse had an assist, a takeaway, two blocked shots and some good work along the wall. He wasn’t able to stop the pass net front to Kane on the first goal, Bear had defended the original sortie and didn’t recognize danger (nor did McDavid) on time. Bear drew a penalty and his fabulous outlet passing (found AA from two towns away) was on display.

Kris Russell-Matt Benning played 8:55, going 12-9 Corsi, 7-3 shots, 1-1 goals, 3-2 HDSC.

Russell tipped a shot that meandered into the Edmonton net, fans online hammered him senseless but the puck was heading in a good direction for the most part with him on the ice. Had a nice look, blocked a shot. Benning had a shot, blocked four shots, was credited with a big hit and took a penalty the Oilers could ill afford to take.

Mikko Koskinen stopped 23 of 26, .895. That doesn’t really tell the story, Koskinen faced half a dozen 10-bell chances in the first period and gave up just one goal. I would play him again on Wednesday.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we’re back! At 10:20, Joaquin Gage from 2-guys and a goalie podcast will join us to talk Koskinen and Smith performances early in the Chicago series. At 11, Murat Ates from The Athletic will talk about the compelling Jets-Flames series. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

189 Responses to "Squeeze Box"

1. Clarkenstein says:

Everybody sleep a little better last night?

2. Brantford Boy says:

The power and the glory, McDavid… amen.

Great effort from the entire team last night… that parade to the penalty box had me having flashbacks to the Anaheim series.

AA was a force all night, might not be long until he gets a push in the top 6. With that said, Tippett really put the boots to the blender and it appears that these are some fantastic lines he’s put together, especially the bottom 6.

3. tileguy says:

“ I would play him again on Wednesday.”
    Kiss of death.

4. meanashell11 says:

So where are the loud mouths this morning about McDavid isn’t a leader.

5. Elgin R says:

The zone exit data is not a good look for KRussel. However, his good work on the PK was a big contributor to CBH going 0-4. No reason to try to block a shot right in front of the goalie with no CBH player in the way – let the goalie see the shot!

What is with the penalty calls (or lack thereof)? If you cut a player in the face with your stick it is a double minor.

Rule 60
    ‘A penalty is assessed if a player strikes another player with a high stick. The player is given a minor penalty unless his high stick caused an injury, in which case the referee has the option to assess a double-minor, major, game misconduct or match penalty. It is the referee’s discretion which penalty to assess: the rule calls for a double minor for an accidental injury,’

It does not say it has to be the players own stick. Strome had control of Sheahan’s stick with his left hand and forced the stick into Kass’s face.

Keith cut Yamamoto with the blade of his stick up under the visor – automatic double minor.

Can we start the conspiracy theories now? Evidence: 3rd round pick to Calgary, cutting Oiler players without appropriate, or any, penalties.

6. LadiesloveSmid says:

I swear if Athanasiou wasn’t hooked on that one play (drawn PP), he would have buried. Guy was buzzing! I like that line because he doesn’t trust his blackhole teammates so he does it all alone.

Would love for Klefbom & Larsson to be a lot better still. Koskinen wants that 2nd goal back but otherwise fine game. Neal deserved 2 assists on the 6th goal, and got none! I’d play Jones over Russell, though #4 hasn’t actually been too bad.

7. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909 2020 Playoff Death March™

8. who says:

The effort was better but they still look pretty scrambly to me. Especially the defense. The Hawks have a very good group of forwards. Maybe that’s the problem. Kirby Dach looks like he’s going to be a dominant player in this league.
    The line shuffling seemed to give us a little more juice. Loved AA’s game. That’s the guy I thought we were getting. He really doesn’t need linemates, at least not through the neutral zone. Cause most of the time it’s a solo mission. He definitely has tunnel vision with the puck. But he also looks like he can skate through an entire defense.
    Still not a big fan of Archibald with McDavid. I see the hustle and physical play, but he just doesn’t have the hands or patience of a good offensive player. Too many Oiler possessions end on his stick.
    Better effort, but unless the defense gets a lot sharper, we’re not going very far.

9. who says:

LadiesloveSmid:

I think Russell has been Edmonton’s best dman. Why on earth would you replace him?

10. dustrock says:

Wonder if Drai got hurt on the Connor Murphy hack attack. He was very quiet for most of the game afterwards and looked a step slow.

Also, it would be nice if one of the several dozen penalties on him would be called. Chicago has nobody that can physically stop Drai, so they’re using a tried-and-true clutch-n-grab style.

Just like McDavid, Drai is going to have to fight through it. Yamamotor is such a water bug out there, a pleasure to watch.

Justin Bourne mentioned the coach can do less at 5v5 as it’s far more unstructured, and you can see the value in Yamamoto because he makes unpredictable cuts and he’s quick enough to suddenly be in the way.

AA best game as an Oilers AINEC. Kassian looked like he got the message but I wouldn’t move him from this line. Sheahan was fine, although I might prefer Haas as a center there.

11. dustrock says:

Elgin R,

Obvious conspiracy theory is that Bettman wants the Chicago TV market. They’re going to get the calls. It’s long, long been the same way for the Lakers in LA, for example.

If you’re not going to call a 100% obvious double-minor on Yamamoto’s fractured nose….

12. ArmchairGM says:

Loved that 3rd period by the Oilers. In 15:05 at 5v5, they were

22-10 corsi
    15-5 fenwick
    9-4 shots
    13-4 scoring chances
    8-1 high danger
    2-0 goals

THAT’S how you close out a game with a 1-goal lead – not by sitting back and defending.

13. dustrock says:

I think Willis made the point last night (twitter is quick and I had some pops, so I might be wrong) that it’s difficult to keep pushing after you’re up.

Didn’t bite the Hawks in the ass in Game 1 but the Oilers closed the gap more than they should.

What impressed me most about the team was other than McDavid, they still looked jittery to me in the first, but slowly through the 2nd and definitely in the 3rd, they began to look more confident and they didn’t back down from Chicago.

I don’t know if it was yelling from Tipp or they just figured it out, but suddenly guys like Nurse and Larsson were bodying guys and they looked more like the team we had watched all year.

14. dustrock says:

ArmchairGM,

ha ha great minds, just said the same thing.

I said after Game 1 I don’t think Chicago could possibly play better, but we all knew the OIlers could step up and I think by the 3rd, they got there.

15. Profit says:

I know it was talked about in the GDT but the lack of consistency with the refs is a huge issue.

As Elgin pointed out above we had two *unusual* situations happen last night, both of which went against the Oilers. Is there any recourse on this? Does Tippett just lose his cool to get his point across? Can the organization reach out? To me these are just wrong calls and need to be corrected.

There is no judgment here. I understand getting the “call right” on the Kassian one even though I’m unclear on using someone else’s stick against the opposing player seems like a penalty. But then specifically not reviewing the Yamamoto high stick, and not even accepting the evidence of him bleeding. He was visually bleeding on the ice before he made it to the bench. How is this not a 4 minute?

Oh it didn’t matter, late in the game, score wasn’t in doubt. I don’t care. This sets an uncomfortable precedence which the NHL needs to understand.

16. Durag says:

The only time I want to see Mike Smith start a game is if we’re up 3-0 in the second (3rd?) round and Koskinen is starting to look gassed.

17. Kert says:

Profit,

The NHL doesn’t want the Ref’s deciding the games, so they let the Ref’s decide the game. I hate it.

18. OilClog says:

All I know for certain is the Oilers as a lot are Stone Cold Killers.

And that’s the bottom line because Nuge has many many points.

19. Durag says:

Profit,

At the end of these playoffs, it would be interesting to see the stats on how many penalties are called against the “home” team versus the average. I don’t think you would get that stretch of 4 quick penalties against the Oilers in the 2nd period under normal circumstances. None of them seemed like a blatant wrong call, but they were all fairly ticky-tack stuff you don’t see called with that kind of frequency in the playoffs. I’ll bet with 20,000 fans in the building baying for blood a few of those calls don’t get made.

20. Rich M says:

Would also add last night that the penalty kill was massive.

When the Oilers took one penalty after another in the 2nd, it could have gotten out of hand, but the work of Archie/Sheahan/Nuge/Khaira and I’m sure I’m missing someone else from the forwards was huge. And the blocked shots by Bear, Nurse, etc. was what you expect in playoff hockey.

21. Elgin R says:

Durag:

High, high self preservation IQ. The Oilers have the big bodies and need to hit more, especially early in a game. Get the opponents looking around and playing the puck quicker to avoid getting crushed.

22. Tesla's Hair says:

“Stone Cold Killer”

1. A person you don’t wanna f**k around with.
    2. a ruthless hitman
    3. an implied hex on the Oilers playoff run
    4. a PizzaPizza customer after hearing Smith was starting G1 https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2020/07/pizza-pizza-customer-toronto-face-mask/

Proper Usage: “the bastard that I hired was a stone cold killer”

FROM: The Urban Dictionary https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stone%20cold%20killer

23. flyfish1168 says:

Leon took to many hawk cross checks to the back in game 2. NHL needs to protect their stars and make these calls. It’s ridiculous that penalty calls are different during regular season and playoffs. It’s just as ridiculous that a rookie doesn’t get the benefit of a call versus a vet.

24. dustrock says:

Durag:
    Profit,

Not only 4 quick penalties, it was in the 2nd period when the Oilers had the long change.

Don’t think we don’t notice, NHL.

25. Profit says:

Durag,

Yeah I agree. Fans would have made a big impact I think.

26. who says:

Durag:
    Profit,

Regarding the ticky tack calls, here’s the way I saw it.
    1st penalty. Keith gets his stick into Kassians waist, Kassian clamps down and gets the penalty. Reputation call. Should have been Keiths penalty originally, or offsetting minors at the worst.
    3rd penalty. It was a crosscheck to the face! How is that a ticky tack penalty?
    4th penalty. Khaira reached around and gave the Hawks shoulder a tug with his free hand. Again, that one gets called 90 percent of the time.
    So in summary, 1 out of 4 was actually ticky tack. I know this is an Oilers blog, but the hometown bias is a bit much sometimes.
    Also, for all you conspiracy theorists out there, I seriously doubt that Gary Bettman sits in his office, rubbing his hands together, dreaming up ways he can screw the Oilers. In fact, I doubt he spends any time thinking of Edmonton at all.

27. jake70 says:

dustrock,

You mean NBC wants Chicago market. 😉

28. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

The most unfortunate thing about the victory last night was that there were not 18,000 people going insane inside Rogers Place last night to set of some Richter scale measurements on Connor’s breakaway goal and hattie…

Nice to see Jekyll show up (or is it Hyde???).

If AA can drive the third line consistently, there is a place in the line-up for him. I am in no rush to push him up the lineup if he can be effective on the 3rd and the top two lines can continue to be productive. We need 3 lines that can be an offensive threat with minimal D liabilities. 4th line chipping in for goals = bonus!

29. Woogie63 says:

McDavid was a force.

A really important part of the win last night was the cycle and aggressive forecheck of the bottom six. Squishing the CHB defense every chance the Oilers get, has to be part of a winning game plan.

30. Fuge Udvar says:

I wonder if we see Crawford next game. A quiet 10GA in 2 games

31. greenshifter says:

who,

Well said, thank you.

32. Darth Tu says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Agreed, feelings count for nothing, but I felt like he was going to storm in there and bury it on that chance. Great effort holding the stick in there to get the call though – smarts.

That 3rd line was good, if Kassian had landed that shot on Boqvist he’d have been knocked into next week.

If AA can drive it we’re looking decent. Once your past the top 2 lines for Chicago they really don’t have all that much down there.

Similar effort in the next two games please.

33. quade says:

who,

That’s all fine and dandy, but do you truly think there weren’t calls that could have been made against Chicago in that time frame? And how do you explain the lack of double minor call on Yamamoto? Compounded with the strange (yet debatably accurate) calling back of the double minor for the high stick on Kassian? I don’t know if it is a fix, but the reffing was pretty hawks biased if you ask me. Blind trust in massive corporations to play fair shows a higher level of unreasonable thinking than allowing for the chance that they might not. In general large corporations with money at stake don’t play fair: So don’t act like it’s unreasonable to consider that.

34. cowboy bill says:

A huge difference last night was the Oilers PK . The Hawks were 0 for 4 , while the first game they were 3 for 6 . Maybe Kosky deserves some credit but the PK definitely made some adjustments .

35. tileguy says:

The lack of a double minor on Yams might be because his face shield cut him, not the stick.

36. Durag says:

cowboy bill:

They must have blocked 10 shots on the PK in the second period alone. Great work, but I’m concerned about the long term consequences of clenching my sphincter that hard for that long.

37. OilClog says:

The refs have a 3 ft splinter in their ass when it comes to their jealousy of McDavid. I do think the refs association has a huge beef with him ever since he pointed and told them to check upstairs.

38. Side says:

tileguy:

I think that kind of observation and ruling would require much more competence than the refs have demonstrated to date.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

Something that gives me higher confidence from last night is that they won, and really were the better team on the night and there are so many players that could play so much better:

– Mikko was good, not great – he did what he needed to do but we know that he can be even better

– Drai had a nice game – that line gave up nothing against but, at the same time, we know that the Drai/Kailer duo can be much more dominant

– Nurse was much better, one of the better players but he did make a couple mistakes and can be better – same with Bear – he got better as the game went on but he wasn’t near the top of his game

– Larsson and Klef were much better than game 1 but still FAR from the tops of their games.

It was a heartening performance for a team that can play so much better – that is a good thing.

40. Reja says:

who: Regarding the ticky tack calls, here’s the way I saw it.
    3rd penalty. It was a crosscheck to the face! How is that a ticky tack penalty?
    Also, for all you conspiracy theorists out there,I seriously doubt that Gary Bettman sits in his office,rubbing his hands together, dreaming up ways he can screw the Oilers. In fact, I doubt he spends any time thinking of Edmonton at all.

What about Mcdavid and Leon getting held and chopped at all game?

41. OriginalPouzar says:

I had mentioned before the series started that the “4th line” could be a real plus for the team. Yup, they are slow and none of them were good 5 on 5 players this year. At the same time, the two wingers have goal scoring pedigree and experience and, if that line can generally saw off, create some zone time momentum and score the odd goal, well, that would be huge for the team.

We saw how beneficial that line was last night.

42. Ryan says:

who: Regarding the ticky tack calls, here’s the way I saw it.
    3rd penalty. It was a crosscheck to the face! How is that a ticky tack penalty?

1. agreed

2. I actually thought Kane was near the inside of the Oilers blue line and he had passed the puck towards the net. I didn’t recall that he was shooting the puck, but I could be wrong because I didn’t watch a replay. These slashes usually get called though, agreed.

3. Didn’t see that well, but I think the Hawk had his stick up as he approached Benning.. Was more of a 50-50 call for Benning.IMO.

4. Khaira reach was a little soft since Khaira had the puck. The Hawks were getting away with a lot of these calls (grabs) earlier. Also Klefbomb drove the net on one play and the Hawk was lauded for “tying him up” or tackling him before he touched the puck on a scoring chance.

Leon was obstructed a fair amount with reaches and grabs and none of it was called to my recollection.

I also think you have to look at these calls in the context of 4-in-a-row. Usually refs will factor that into calls in a tight game and let some things slide.

43. pts2pndr says:

who: Regarding the ticky tack calls, here’s the way I saw it.
    3rd penalty. It was a crosscheck to the face! How is that a ticky tack penalty?

The Refs get a briefing sheet before each game. Included are players to watch and other miscellaneous things that you might be most surprised about. The pairing that made the egregious miss on the hit to the head In game one of the series, should in my opinion, not ref for the balance of the playoffs. Not only did they miss the call they penalized the victim.

44. Lucinius says:

who,

The problem with the reffing is endemic. Oilers got screwed a bit by the refs last night. A lot of teams routinely get screwed by the refs. This isn’t an Oiler issue. I literally cannot recall the last game I watched that was ‘well officiated’, meaning penalties that were penalties got called and there were minimal (you can’t expect perfection) non-penalties getting called as penalties.

Why cannot remember it? It hasn’t happened, except maybe as a happy accident in a game sometime and I just never saw the game. Regardless of who plays I see the officials being horrendously bad at their job. It stems from three things;

1) They treat the rule book as a guide book. What is or is not a penalty depends on bias, mood, reputation, score, time.

2) They cannot be held accountable internally. At worst, if things get bad, they are simply not given playoff games.

3) No organisation or media holds them publicly accountable. Fans only gnash their teeth and refuse to actually protest (i.e.; boycotting games, merchandise, etc.).

These three things combined guarantee that it will never change. The NHL, Refs, Players, Media and Fans seem to think that the status quo is fine, expected and there is no need for change. Sure, fans complain.. but only when it impacts their team and they don’t do anything about it (which makes them just as culpable, imo).

The NHL is embarrassing. Which sucks. Because it is a great game ruined by stuff like this. And yes, I do mean ruined. I watch a small fraction of the hockey I used to because I cannot stand it. Even watching two teams I don’t really care about.. I end up frustrated (at best) by the officiating. Sometimes the games are good enough to be worth it in spite of the comedy show that is officiating.. but less and less can I say that is the case.

45. JimmyV1965 says:

quade:
    who,

I thought it was yet another poorly reffed game, but vets like Keith, Kane and Toews will get the benefit of the doubt everytime.

46. JimmyV1965 says:

Lucinius:
    who,

Excellent, excellent post. I would put the blame 99% on the league though. Only the NHL has the power to make changes and create accountability.

47. quade says:

JimmyV1965,

I’m not saying I believe that, I’m just saying blind faith in large business to be fair is strange in my eyes in 2020. Wasn’t the World Series decided by cheating last year? Isn’t it unfair that if players in the nhl complain about the refs they get fined and if the refs mess up a game there is no system of appeal or review…I’m not saying it’s a fix, I’m just saying that blindly trusting them and accusing people of being homers if they point out the unfair bias of calls is really small minded. There have historically been fixes in professional sport that have been exposed. Why is it insane to say it is a possibility?

48. Reja says:

JimmyV1965: Do you seriously think Bettman has instructed refs to call individual games or series’ in a certain way? That’s a moon landing level conspiracy theory.

49. dustrock says:

Once we heard “what am I supposed to tell Corey?”, that told the entire story, forever.

50. dustrock says:

Oh hey did anyone rewatch when Nuge shot in the first period? I swear it went in and one of the Oilers (McDavid?) put up his arm but there was no replay.

Someone on Twitter didn’t post proof but said he frame-by-framed and Nuge’s shot went in.

Just wondering if anyone had seen where it did deflect because the whole thing was odd and they never showed a replay, never mentioned it again.

51. Durag says:

dustrock,

I thought it was a goal when I was watching it live, but the puck went out of play so I don’t think that’s possible.

52. Lucinius says:

JimmyV1965,

The buck stops with the league, yes. Always.

However, no one is telling them that. Hell, most of the time in the media all you hear is praise for the officials. And that’s not even counting the ‘its a hard job’ bullshit that is so often peddled out there. It actually is not that hard of a job. Are you going to be perfect? No. No one expects perfection, though. But there is nothing about the job that is innately “hard”, however. You look around for infractions. You spot them. You call them.

I actually do not have a huge issue with missed calls (except in the degree — go through a game and call things by the book and you will see, easily, 30-40 missed calls per team, each and every game regardless of who is playing) in theory. You are going to miss some things. You shouldn’t be missing 90% of the infractions unless you are inept, blind, or just don’t give a shit.

Hell, compared to a lot of jobs out there I would actually say officiating an NHL game is on the easier side of things.

There is no excuse for the officiating we have. We have it because no one cares enough to change it. The league sees no reason to rile up the officials and their union over it given the lack of outrage and the sheer constant brown-nosing from the media over it.

If it is to change.. it has to start from the fans. That, however, won’t happen. People are willing to suck it up and hold their noses to watch the game and their team. Which, imo, means, ultimately, the fans are getting the game they deserve.

53. tavvey tune says:

Just wanna say how impressive Ethan Bear is. Lots gets said about his poise and puck distribution but I noticed again last night how effective his body positioning is in puck battles. He routinely uses it to cut opponents off and win possession even before any battle starts. Looks like the kind of skill you build over years of being a smaller player. His ability belies his age and years of pro experience. He makes it look easy.

54. leadfarmer says:

“Mcdavid is too quiet to be a leader”
    How about them apples.
    No need for him to trash talk to the media when you can go out there and do that

55. ArmchairGM says:

who: 2nd penalty. Sheehan slashes Kane while he’s shooting. I didn’t see it but I guess he got him in the hands. That one gets called 90 percent of the time.

56. Ryan says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: Athanasiou

Credit to Tippett for getting AA going.

For all of the excitement of watching AA play, I was surprised to see his minutes only went from

8:37 to 9:54 (total minutes)

There must be more line blending than I noticed during the game

McDavid played 16:16 at 5v5 yet his line mate Archibald only played 7:04

Also Draisaitl played 14:55, but Ennis only played 11:34.

Despite the demotion to the 3rd line along with the high stick injury, Kassian actually played 14:01 which was 5th on the team for forwards at 5v5.

57. Ryan says:

leadfarmer:
    “Mcdavid is too quiet to be a leader”
    How about them apples.

Absolutely dominant performance by 97.

58. tileguy says:

Kinda wish our host would step in and quell all these tedious comments regarding the refs, Bettman and conspiracies. Isn’t there another sites where homers Can gather and commiserate with each other?

59. ArmchairGM says:

ArmchairGM: He wasn’t shooting, he was just skating past and the slash had no affect on the play – Kane didn’t lose control of the puck. This isn’t called 90% of the time, it’s called about 1% of the time.

The penalty in question occurs at the 1:10:07 mark of the national feed. That’s a ticky tacky call if ever I’ve seen one. How many times a game do Oilers players put up with that?

60. Ryan says:

Reja: Your telling me if Mcdavid and Leon were playing in LA or NY that they wouldn’t get the benefit of the doubt.

Ha. I remember one game years ago against LA when Looch played for them.

He plowed through our goalie causing interference… someone else shot the puck in and it was deemed a “good goal” regardless.

I think early on as an Oiler, he did something similar but on a much milder scale in terms of his contact with the goalie and it was deemed goalie interference.

He had the most perplexed look on his face.

61. Reja says:

He’s a Hawks fan what else is he going to say.

62. Munny says:

tavvey tune:
    Just wanna say how impressive Ethan Bear is.Lots gets said about his poise and puck distribution but I noticed again last night how effective his body positioning is in puck battles.He routinely uses it to cut opponents off and win possession even before any battle starts. Looks like the kind of skill you build over years of being a smaller player.His ability belies his age and years of pro experience. He makes it look easy.

He reminds me a bit of Radek Dvorak. Ie he defends the forecheck much in the same way Dvorak used to deploy his forecheck… Lots of reverse pivots and body placement to keep one’s body between the puck and the opposing player.

63. dustrock says:

The call on Benning irritated me because I think he was protecting himself. Should have been charging. Could have called coincidental minors.

64. JimmyV1965 says:

I’m not saying that at all. What I’m saying is Bettman is not directing refs to call individual games, players and series’ in a certain way. If McDavid and Drai were playing on different teams, they might get different calls, but there’s plenty of more plausible explanations for that.

65. Munny says:

Durag: I saw all 4 lines good last night and that is incredibly encouraging. Kassian has always looked good with Sheahan and AA was a buzzsaw. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an NHL player bail out quite as hard as Boqvist did on that hit by Kassian. Smart move, the kid would have got his clock cleaned.

And it saved the Oilers from a likely penalty… considering the way the rest of the game was called..

66. Munny says:

dustrock:
    The call on Benning irritated me because I think he was protecting himself.Should have been charging.Could have called coincidental minors.

me too. If he doesn’t get his stick up he eats wood to the face. So he defends himself (because Gord knows the ref won’t) and he goes off. How this isn’t at least coincidental is beyond me.

67. Ryan says:

tileguy:

You don’t usually get much mileage here by asking LT to intervene and redirect the conversation unless people are crossing lines and posting inappropriate content.

There are lots of analytical studies looking at sources of bias in NHL officiating.

There’s evidence that score effects and penalty differential play a role. Also some studies look at home vs road teams I think.

Our own Rexlibris:

68. fries n gravy says:

That 97 guy is pretty good.

69. tileguy says:

Ryan,

From the Lopez study, which I did not read, only his conclusion.
    “ empirical evi- dence supports the idea that referees even up penalty calls in the spirit of equal oppor- tunity and financial incentive.”
    Let the fun begin.
    Ps
    I wish Allen would state his opinion on the subject, it holds a lot of weight.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

Clarkenstein:
    Everybody sleep a little better last night?

I actually slept like crap last night, however, I woke up happy and delighted….

71. Reja says:

Munny: me too.If he doesn’t get his stick up he eats wood to the face.So he defends himself (because Gord knows the ref won’t) and he goes off.How this isn’t at least coincidental is beyond me.

72. Ryan says:

tavvey tune:

Yeah, Bear has really made some excellent progress in rounding out his game.

When we first saw a glimpse of him, he certainly excelled naturally at the vision and making outlet passes, but he’s had to work hard on the defensive side of the game.

I think when Sekera was down in the AHL on the conditioning stint, something rubbed off of him being another small dman.

Really though, it’s those ankles Bear has. It’s like his feet are on swivels.

73. jp says:

tileguy:

I dunno.

74. Reja says:

JimmyV1965: I’m not saying that at all. What I’m saying is Bettman is not directing refs to call individual games, players and series’ in a certain way.If McDavid and Drai were playing on different teams, they might get different calls, but there’s plenty of more plausible explanations for that.

Usually there’s a chain of command if the Refs call 4 questionable penalties in a row against Chicago maybe they get talked to or don’t see another game.

75. Munny says:

Reja: It was total reflex action if that’s Kane or Toews they’re getting praised for defending themselves.

I can remember both Hossa and Handzus using the same tactic.

76. Side says:

jp: On a body check that logic makes sense. But a stick hitting the face shield with enough force that the face shield cut his face means… that the stick would not have cut him worse? 99% of the time?

I dunno.

Or to be consistent, they could have video reviewed it like they did for the one on Kassian.

Alas…

77. OriginalPouzar says:

Brantford Boy:
    The power and the glory, McDavid… amen.

AA was a force all night, might not be long until he gets a push in the top 6.With that said, Tippett really put the boots to the blender and it appears that these are some fantastic lines he’s put together, especially the bottom 6.

There is talk of Neal being pushed to the top 6.

There is talk of AA being pushed to the top 6.

I get it, offensive minded players that may be earning some at bats up the lineup.

At the same time, perhaps there is a reasons they are being effective in their current placements?

For example, and we’ve been talking about it a bit last night, maybe AA is effective more as a puck transporter and the driver of his line? If he moves up the lineup, he won’t be that guy and may not be as engaged and/or effective.

78. Munny says:

The refs knew about the penalty to Yama but were not calling it on purpose. They studiously avoided looking at the player and refused to offer an explanation to Tippett.

In their mind there was only a couple of minutes to play, the game was not in doubt and it was time to get out of Dodge City (good luck, yer in a bubble).

The thought of deterrence for future similar plays never crossed their minds. League officials likely talked to them about it, I’m sure, and Holly probably made a phone call on top of it all.

79. Younger Oil says:

There should absolutely not be a single change to the entire lineup next game. It worked so well.

If a change needs to be made during the game, AA and Neal are the primary candidates to move up the lineup, but don’t mess with what was so successful until it stops working.

80. OriginalPouzar says:

who:

I agree with almost everything in this post:

– the team still made lots of defensive mistakes (positionally and sloppy play) – they can likely get away with that in a series against Chicago (as Chicago has the same issue) but will need to tighten up once they move on to the playoffs. We know they can, we’ve seen it.

– Dach is going to be a Drai-like beast – he may not be quite that elite offensively but a big and tough skilled SOB to play against

– AA was great but I do agree on the tunnel vision – I think I said last night, he may have Nurse-like instincts in the offensive zone (but better hands/skill for individual production)

– I’m not a huge fan of Archie as 1RW with McDavid either but, then again, he was much better last night than Kass on Saturday. We saw this with Archie a few times this year, he can move up for a game or two but then we see that he really is a bottom 6 player. I think Kass will be back there at some point – not at the beginning of next game though.

81. Ryan says:

tileguy:
    Ryan,

From the Lopez study, which I did not read, only his conclusion.
    Let the fun begin.
    Ps
    I wish Allen would state his opinion on the subject, it holds a lot of weight.

I didn’t say that Allen wouldn’t necessarily offer his opinion.. just that I don’t think NHL officiating bias is a hot button topic that’s going to cause him to start deleting posts or handing out time outs.

I haven’t read the Lopez paper in its entirety either.

“In conclusion, the model derived from this research illustrates how NHL referees even up penalty calls to increase perceptions of fairness. The effect of these calls is to balance scoring opportunities and ultimately, the number of games won or lost by each team.”

I think the idea resonates with anyone watching hockey. Really, there are lots of factors that change how games are officiated. Home/road. Score. Penalty differential. Veteran vs rookie committing infraction.

If the penalty differential is tilted heavily against one team, they might get away with a few infractions while we often see ticky tacky calls against the team that’s had fewer penalties to even things up.

Once a score is out of hand, then refs mostly call penalties that involve potential safety issues and might let things like obstruction go more than normal. Or for example, they’ll completely forget the negative penalty differential of a team down by 3 goals starts committing a lot of infractions even if they’ve had far fewer power plays.

“Among postseason games tied at the end of the first period, the team with more first period penalties was significantly more likely to win the contest (OR 1.20, 95% CI,1.07-1.33) than the team with fewer first period penalties.”

Certain the above resonates with my experience watching hockey. Score is tied at the end of the first. Team A has killed 3 penalties and Team B has killed zero. Which team is more likely to win the the game and/or gets the next power play?

My posting Corsi is reaching OP levels, so I’ll chime out for now.

82. Halfwise says:

tileguy:

Good dads encourage their kids to sort things out for themselves. It helps the kids grow up.

LT seems like a pretty good dad. I know I’ve learned a lot from watching how and what he moderates here.

83. who says:

I don’t know if that’s what Jimmy is saying, but that’s exactly what I’m saying.
    To claim that there is a league, or ref, bias against McDavid because he plays for Edmonton is just so… out there?
    I would love it if the refs called the rule book as written, because we’d se a lot of 10-8 games. But they don’t. And they never have.
    I would love to see Murphy get penalized for cross checking Draisaitl. But I bet a lot of you would be crying ticky tack when Larrson gets penalized for the same thing.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

We often talk about Ho-Sang – sounds like he’s in negotiations with a KHL team.

85. who says:

dustrock:

Seriously?
    The call on Benning was the most obvious. You protect yourself by holding your stick chest high, not head high.
    I wonder how the Chicago fans saw it?

86. Fuge Udvar says:

I’d like to see Tippett run the 4C Khaira-McDavid-Khaira-Draisaitl. Assuming we get a long stretch of 5×5 at some point.

87. OriginalPouzar says:

Rich M:
    Would also add last night that the penalty kill was massive.

When the Oilers took one penalty after another in the 2nd, it could have gotten out of hand, but the work of Archie/Sheahan/Nuge/Khaira and I’m sure I’m missing someone else from the forwards was huge.And the blocked shots by Bear, Nurse, etc. was what you expect in playoff hockey.

That first PK last night, when they were hemmed in for almost the entire 2 minutes, was great – I don’t think Mikko had to face a high danger chance because there were 3-4 really solid blocks – the defensive group was great on the PK.

The PK then got better as the game went on – back to their normal defense of zone entry and well-timed “pouncing” when the opportunity was there to get a puck clear.

88. LadiesloveSmid says:

Agreed on the Benning call. Highmore’s hands were high too, it’s just Benning being stronger on his feet.

89. Material Elvis says:

who: Seriously?
    I wonder how the Chicago fans saw it?

The only thing I wish Benning did differently is hit the guy a bit harder in the face with his stick. You take a run at a guy and you deserve that special treatment.

90. Profit says:

who,

I don’t really disagree with 1, 2 and 4, but my view of 3 is a bit different which is fine.

I have a lot of sympathy for Benning on that one. He made the play with the puck at the point and a full ~1.5 seconds after (I went back and looked at the replay last night) the Hawks player came in for the hit. Benning responded by putting his stick up perpendicular to his body and the guy ran into it. I know that’s a stretch – he did make stick to face contact. Maybe I’m off on timing a bit, but it was certainly after the 0.8 seconds the NHL uses for “late hit” purposes.

But:
    1) it was 3 of a run of 4 penalties in a row
    2) during the playoffs (or is the qualification series not playoffs? Have the refs been told to call it different?)
    3) the refs then full on elected to not call equally ticky-tacky penalties on the Hawks (2x high sticking, plus the egregious non-slash call on McDavid that broke his stick).

On that last one Daniel Nugent-Bowman said during the game “Dave Tippet was not pleased about McDavid getting his stick chopped in half. What the fuck was that? He’s really giving it to the referee Jon McIsaac during the stoppage in play. Music too loud to hear him though”.

My problem is with the consistency of the calls, not the calls themselves. I just don’t know what the correct response is. Tippet yelling more? I don’t think it’s a conspiracy, but I do think that the NHL needs to get calls like the high stick on Yamamoto correct. That the refs HAD a way to ensure that they got the call correct and didn’t use it PLUS they had used that exact same method earlier in the game (to the detriment of the Oilers) just screams amateur hour to me. If you have a process, use it. There is no room for referee judgement on those type of calls.

91. Material Elvis says:

I dunno.

Yes it would have. Keith slashed Yamo right in the face and it would have done at least as much damage if he didn’t have the visor on. Keith’s face slash was equal to Khaira’s one second shoulder grab in the eyes of the ref.

92. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– The saves Koski made early vs the goals Smith let in early was the difference IOM

– We were an early soft goal away from the series being over was my thought

– Now same thing: Any team that gets ahead a few goals, and is 4 periods away from advancing, I really think it’s going to be signficant

– When you have a goalie that makes stops, and doesn’t put you behind 8-ball, by letting in firstt shot or early goals, its massive for team structure. That’s what we saw yesterday: just do that.

* this whole The Power and the Glory stuff: not a fan of the appropriation of religous terminology…But not my blog

93. Younger Oil says:

I don’t have any issues with the penalties called against the Oilers, my issue comes from similar plays being uncalled against the Hawks when the Oilers had the lead in the game.

I don’t think the refs are biased against the Oilers, but they are incredibly biased towards keeping the game close by any means necessary.

94. ArmchairGM says:

LadiesloveSmid:

1:16:27 of the national feed – Highmore’s elbow is in Benning’s face.

95. ArmchairGM says:

who: The Chicago players arms and stick were chest high. If they were head high he wouldn’t have got cross checked in the mouth.

Look at 1:16:27 of the national feed – Highmore’s elbow is seen above Benning’s head during the collision. Just prior he flashed his stick across Benning’s face – no wonder Benning put his hands up.

96. wolf8888 says:

OriginalPouzar,

That’s a good point. Anyone remember The Peter Principle? Promote people to their level of incompetence. Maybe Tippet should run with the same group that was so effective last night.

97. who says:

ArmchairGM: https://nhl66.ir/

Your description defies the law of physics.

98. dustrock says:

If you’re curious about what the Hawks are saying about the loss:

“You can hear everything in the building and there’s not a lot of talk,” Toews said following the 6-3 loss. “We can do a lot better job — guys like myself especially — talking to our D-men, making sure we know where the pressure’s coming from. Just some little plays, that sometimes we know where the hits are going to come from, we can break their forecheck and get out of our zone a little bit easier, and that lets us get on offense. We got stuck in our own zone a few too many times just from easy plays that were there that we got a little jumpy with the puck. All five guys need to be better in our D-zone. The right response would’ve been there, but they did a good job putting pressure on us and keeping us down low in our own zone.”

I have to admit I hadn’t thought about team communication and a loud crowd making it impossible to hear one’s teammates.

99. OriginalPouzar says:

Barbashev has left the secure zone in Edmonton to go to St. Louis for the birth of his child.

He will return and the protocol is:

“After the baby is born, Barbashev will return to Edmonton and be required to quarantine in his hotel room for at least four days. In order to exit quarantine and return to practice and games, he will need to receive four negative COVID-19 tests.”

Is that enough? I hope/assume he has to follow similar protocol before getting on the plan for Edmonton (3 consecutive tests each 48 hours apart) – but that’s just my assumption.

100. ArmchairGM says:

who: How did he get a stick in the mouth if his arms and stick were head high. They would have blocked Benning stick, no?
    Your description defies the law of physics.

I provided a video link. Watch it instead of being an ass.

101. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

OriginalPouzar: I agree with almost everything in this post:

– the team still made lots of defensive mistakes (positionally and sloppy play) – they can likely get away with that in a series against Chicago (as Chicago has the same issue) but will need to tighten up once they move on to the playoffs.We know they can, we’ve seen it.

2020-2021
    RNH-McD-JP (approximately approaching his “draft potential”??)
    Nyg(Benson/Ennis?)-Drai-KY
    AA-Haas (or upgrade if available for cost?)-Kass
    Neal-JJ-Archi

then a Neal buy-out after 2021…and then bring on the in-house developed forwards..

102. who says:

ArmchairGM: I provided a video link. Watch it instead of being an ass.

Hey, if you have a problem with my posts take it up with OP.
    He’s the one who wanted me to post more about hockey. 😎

103. pts2pndr says:

leadfarmer:
    “Mcdavid is too quiet to be a leader”
    How about them apples.

As you have shown there are many ways to lead. One of if not the best ways is by example! Good to talk the talk but much better to walk the walk!

104. Side says:

Is there an active captain in the NHL who isn’t quiet? Where they go around yelling like a coach or calling people out?

I don’t really get that dig against Connor.

He seems to fit in with other captains like Crosby, Chara or Toews where they seem pretty quiet and composed.

Is Giordano a vocal leader? How come his leadership is not being questioned even though his team shit the bed against a Jets team missing 2 of their best players?

OriginalPouzar:

He will return and the protocol is:

4 day quarantine, and 4 negative tests over those four days.

is arguably a stiffer protocol

that no quarantine, and 3 negative tests over 5 days,

which was the criteria to get into the bubble initially.

106. dustrock says:

Side:

I don’t really get that dig against Connor.

This whole leadership thing is an abomination.

If your team sucks, you are a sucky leader.

If your team wins, you are a great leader.

107. Material Elvis says:

Side:

I don’t really get that dig against Connor.

Tavares hasn’t won anything and is very quiet. Also does a terrible interview—no charisma. That’s a guy who you don’t want as your captain……

Jordan Eberle in the playoffs for the New York Islanders.
    10 games 6 goals 5 assists 11 points.

Hey Petey and Flattop…It was YOU, not him.

109. dustrock says:

godot10:
    Jordan Eberle in the playoffs for the New York Islanders.
    10 games 6 goals 5 assists 11 points.

Hey Petey and Flattop…It was YOU, not him.

No no, Godot, I’m sure that it’s just that Eberle learned a difficult lesson. That’s it.

110. tavvey tune says:

Side,

Eastern media will never get over the fact Connor plays in Edmonton.

111. ArmchairGM says:

Hall’s Coyotes are about 8 minutes away from being shutout.

112. OriginalPouzar says:

pts2pndr: The Refs get a briefing sheet before each game. Included are players to watch and other miscellaneous things that you might be most surprised about. The pairing that made the egregious miss on the hit to the headIn game one of the series, should in my opinion, not ref for the balance of the playoffs. Not only did they miss the call they penalized the victim.

If I’m not mistaken, Ennis was penalized for the puck over the glass.

I agree about the miss on Drake’s headshot but the PIM to Ennis was automatic and legit, no?

113. tavvey tune says:

So, Duncan Keith’s first period penalty. He was frustrated to be down by 2 four minutes in and absolutely pole axed, I think it was 56, several times until the ref could ignore it no more. He’s a dirty SOB with a short fuse that could be exploited next time we get a lead. In the meantime I’d be running him every chance you get until he snaps.

114. ArmchairGM says:

ArmchairGM:
    Hall’s Coyotes are about 8 minutes away from being shutout.

2 goals in the last minute to ruin the shutout bid, but Nashville ties the series.

115. OriginalPouzar says:

Agree on point 1.

I don’t buy any sort of conspiracy theory.

We complain about the refs and think the Oilers get “screwed” more than other teams because (a) we are biased and (b) we see the Oilers so much more than other teams.

On point 2, well, yes, maybe that happens but it shouldn’t – that’s bias but its far short of league wide conspiracy.

116. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:
    Oh hey did anyone rewatch when Nuge shot in the first period?I swear it went in and one of the Oilers (McDavid?) put up his arm but there was no replay.

I remember the play and I remember thinking that maybe it’ll be reviewed given the reactions of the players and Cuthbert/DeBrusk.

When they just went straight to the faceoff, I just figured that there was nothing to review…….

117. OriginalPouzar says:

tileguy:

At the time of this post, he had been on live radio for the last two hours……

118. Leroy Draisdale says:

tavvey tune,

Agreed, he slashed Yamo a few times in the game. Dirty pr$%k.

119. Elgin R says:

dustrock,

I did a 1/15 slow frame by frame and it appeared that the puck went off the crossbar. rats

120. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan: Yeah, Bear has really made some excellent progress in rounding out his game.

Really though, it’s those ankles Bear has. It’s like his feet are on swivels.

I think part of it is “drive, determination, work ethic and want to get better” – almost daily reports about him spending some extra time on the ice during camp and talking to the coaches during practices, etc. From what I was reading, it seemed clear he was doing everything he could to, not only ensure that his game was where it was during the season, but getting better.

On Sekera, yes, I believe you are correct – I believe Bear has expressly credited Sekera with respect to showing him how to “be a professional” – how to “act” off the ice and commit to nutrition and fitness (which we all know was a big change for Bear).

121. Lucinius says:

Blue Jackets absolutely getting hammered in shots. Wasting Korpisalo’s excellent game. 1-0 Toronto. 29-12 shots for Toronto, after 2 periods.

Blue Jackets are 0/2 on the power play while Toronto is 0/4.

Geez.

C’mon Blue Jackets! I want to see them sweep Toronto.

122. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: Agree on point 1.

I don’t buy any sort of conspiracy theory.

After getting NHL centre ice and being retired I watched a lot of hockey games. It became apparent to me early in the first year that American based teams were given the benefit of the doubt when playing Canadian teams. Canadian teams playing Canadian teams and American based teams playing American based teams were also treated equally. I do notice that eastern based games are overall better officiated than western based games. I feel this is do in part to the fact that senior officials officiate more eastern games than western games. The less experienced officials get the western games due to the additional travel and there lack of seniority. Just my personal observation over a number of years.

123. Rich M says:

OriginalPouzar,

Good point on that first PK – bend but don’t break. They give up a goal there, the game could have gone in another direction.

124. Younger Oil says:

Man, Jim Hughson sounds bored out of his mind. Absolutely no excitement or passion in calling the game at all.

125. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar: Agree on point 1.

I don’t buy any sort of conspiracy theory.

126. OriginalPouzar says:

Sounds like the OHL will be announcing a December 1 start date.

No surprise considering the AHL is targeting the same date which is right around when the NHL is targeting.

I would expect the W and the Q to do the same.

127. dustrock says:

Elgin R:
    dustrock,

I did a 1/15 slow frame by frame and it appeared that the puck went off the crossbar.rats

Thanks. It was a howitzer to be sure.

128. leadfarmer says:

Dang hope Muzzin is ok

129. Harpers Hair says:

Emily Kaplan (@emilymkaplan) Tweeted:
    The Seattle Kraken have the NHL’s biggest identity launch ever, outselling the Vegas Golden Knights by 4x, per Fanatics.

The Kraken’s season ticket waitlist is now at 51,000. That’s in addition to the 32,000 fans who have already put down deposits.

130. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Sounds like the OHL will be announcing a December 1 start date.

I would expect the W and the Q to do the same.

Can’t imagine the WHL will open in December.

Dr. Bonnie Henry has already ruled there will be no sports with fans in the stands in BC until at least January.

There are five WHL teams in BC.

131. jp says:

godot10:
    Jordan Eberle in the playoffs for the New York Islanders.
    10 games 6 goals 5 assists 11 points.

Hey Petey and Flattop…It was YOU, not him.

dustrock: No no, Godot, I’m sure that it’s just that Eberle learned a difficult lesson.That’s it.

There’s also this:
    RNH
    Flattop: 13-0-4-4
    Tippett: 2-1-5-6

and this:
    McDavid
    Flattop: 13-5-4-9
    Tippett: 2-4-2-6

132. Lucinius says:

Toronto winning is unfortunate. Here’s hoping the Jets will win, at least.

Currently 1-1 at the end of the 1st.

133. OriginalPouzar says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: Hopefully JP is watching these games…can you say “opportunity”? Kass and Archie and Chia as bottom 6 RW is nice option, spot into the top 6 when necessary, but JP still needs to commit, sign and prove himself at playing 3RW…
    2020-2021
    RNH-McD-JP (approximately approaching his “draft potential”??)
    Nyg(Benson/Ennis?)-Drai-KY
    AA-Haas (or upgrade if available for cost?)-Kass
    Neal-JJ-Archi

I’ve posted about that a few times over the last few days after Kass’ “not so good” game 1 performance – if only there was another option – like a 6’4, 22 year old, high pedigree, offensive player.

Of course, not saying that Jesse could or would just come in and fill that hole, however, it would be nice to have the option.

Yes, he needs to come back and, firstly, make the team at camp (which I anticipate won’t be an issue) and then earn himself the at bats up the lineup when the opportunity is there.

Karpat is opening camp and Jesse still hasn’t signed. I have a feeling there is going to be some news on this NHL and Karpat over the next little bit.

Maybe I’m living in fantasy land.

134. OriginalPouzar says:

Side:

Foligno, Ovechkin, Weber????

That’s the best I got off the top of my head and, nope, none of them do that generally, I don’t think.

135. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:
    Jordan Eberle in the playoffs for the New York Islanders.
    10 games 6 goals 5 assists 11 points.

Hey Petey and Flattop…It was YOU, not him.

I never wanted Eberle traded nor agreed that he should be or needed to be.

At the same time, as it turns out, over the course of time since the trade, I believe that Strome has been just as valuable as Eberle – moreso when talking about value for cap hit.

136. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair:
    Emily Kaplan (@emilymkaplan) Tweeted:

They are already a more successful franchise than the Vancouver Canucks

137. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965: You misunderstood my post I think. I’m not calling it a conspiracy in any way, shape or form. Simply suggesting vet teams and vet players get the benefit of the doubt. Sucks for sure, but it seems to be the way things roll.

No, no, I was agreeing with you re: no conspiracy theory – I may not have been clear.

138. OriginalPouzar says:

Hellebuyck joins Smith and Crawford – just stay and stop the pucks directed towards the net.

I push the “Watch” button on my GameCenter and the stream starts directly during the flames goal horn – uggh, that was egregious.

139. Lucinius says:

Lucic goal disallowed due to Dube and goalie interference. Right call.

Not sold on the Harkin penalty, either. Looked more like a call from the result more than the action.

140. Younger Oil says:

Lucinius:
    Lucic goal disallowed due to Dube and goalie interference. Right call.

Then Lucic takes a dumb penalty to allow the Jets to get back in the game, music.

The Harkin penalty was bullshit. It was called a hook, but his stick didn’t touch Monohan. Probably could have been a penalty for the push, but it was clear the ref didn’t actually see anything.

141. Munny says:

leadfarmer:
    Dang hope Muzzin is ok

Apparently able to talk and move about in the hospital.

142. Lucinius says:

Younger Oil,

Agreed. You might have been able to call Harkin for something; though I’m not entirely sure what. It wasn’t roughing. It wasn’t a hook (the call they made). It wasn’t boarding. It wasn’t charging. Not sure it is an actual penalty, to be honest. I firmly believe that is a call made because of the result rather than the action, as I said.

And yeah, Lucic comes through again. Horrible PK there by the Flames, though. Waaaay too much space for the Jets, especially Copp.

Surprised the Jets are doing as well as they are, considering the injuries and Hallebuyck looking mortal this series rather than the norm for the season.

143. Lucinius says:

Munny,

Good to know he’s okay, but his loss will hurt the Leafs. He should be out for at least 4 days due to quarantine rules.

Don’t think it was suspendable on the hit, though, unlike what a lot of Leaf fans are calling for. It was likely something that warranted 2 minutes for cross-checking, but the injury came post-hit, after he tried to get up and just face planted forwards.

144. Lucinius says:

Bleh. Jets continue to struggle in 2nd periods. Now out-scored 8-2 in 2nd period play in the series.

145. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair:
    Emily Kaplan (@emilymkaplan) Tweeted:

146. Munny says:

pts2pndr: Probably a large number of people from Vancouver that want to watch and cheer for a real NHL team.

Sheer poetry…

147. Harpers Hair says:

148. Munny says:

Tucker “Two-Face” is one tough bugger.

149. Pescador says:

Harpers Hair: Probably thousands who moved to BC from Edmonton who can’t get tickets in Vancouver.

Nah,
    It would take someone with a truly bitter personality to jump ship like that.
    I suppose there would be the odd ex-Oiler fan that would feel desperate to fit in with all the other whining Canuck fans they live amongst.

150. Pescador says:

Munny:
    Tucker “Two-Face” is one tough bugger.

Darcy?

151. Nix says:

wolf8888:
    OriginalPouzar,

It does seem like certain organizations are more willing to play to a players strengths, warts aside, and give them a productive role instead of shoehorning them into a all encompassing system. I think Tippett actually did this pretty well here with a bottom six full of specialists.
    Sorry I cant remember who but someone posted last night that essentially AA plays like a poor mans Hall. That kind of stuck with me. Let him run free and cannonball if thats what the man is, checking line be damned, and I wish him godspeed.

152. pts2pndr says:

153. jp says:

You’re saying you are one of those on the wait list?

154. OriginalPouzar says:

Sounds like the OHL is planning:

– Dec 1 start
    -64 games
    – 16 team playoffs with first two rounds best of 3.
    – potential for Ontario to host the US teams

Sounds like the Q will be voting on:

– Oct 1 regular season start (Aug 27th camp)
    – 60 game schedule
    – 3 divisions (a maritimes division and two Quebec divisions)

WHL likely to “take AHL’s lead” and “not before December 4 and they would require at least 50% fan capacity.

Per Marek and Shannon

155. Harpers Hair says:

jp: You’re saying you are one of those on the wait list?

Nah.

I was an Oiler season ticket holder for many years but the 20 years of mediocrity which has now stretched into 30 years and the ridiculous cost of tickets soured me.

I now attend select games in Vancouver and will certainly will fly to Seattle occasionally to take in a game.

Based on early indications, I expect the team will be competitive and it appears they will produce an in game experience that will far surpass Cotton Eyed Joe, Smooch Cam and beef jerky giveaways that are prevalent in North Bay of the Prairies.

156. Harpers Hair says:

pts2pndr: The Canucks are so hard up for fans they block the Valley from Viewing other teams on Sportsnet. Hence I have Center ice and have since I moved out of Alberta 15 years ago. I never was the bandwagon type. Loyalty is a value I learned as a boy in Alberta. I am very proud of my Alberta heritage. I will always be an Oiler fan.

That’s nice.

157. OilClog says:

Being on the coast for 15 years I’ve not come across one fan that’s changed their team to cheer for Vancouver. Shitting on the Canucks is a great uniter out here.

158. OilClog says:

Harpers Hair: Nah.

That’s nice.

Harpers Hair: Nah.

I think it’s plausible to suggest Vegas and or the new Seattle franchise could win their Stanley before Edmonton wins its sixth, Calgary its second and Vancouver its first in the modern era.

160. jm363561 says:

tileguy:

If you can stand it go to Twitter. Unfortunately the insanity Increasingly leaks into planet normality.

161. Reja says:

Harpers Hair:
    Emily Kaplan (@emilymkaplan) Tweeted:

Scalping tickets has gotten a lot easier and become more profitable with the age of the Internet.

162. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: I think that Seattle franchise is going to be very strong. One of the things we don’t talk about often is the impact of Vegas and soon Seattle on the early years of McDavid. The expansion draft reset the division in a big way.

163. Durag says:

godot10:
    Jordan Eberle in the playoffs for the New York Islanders.
    10 games 6 goals 5 assists 11 points.

Hey Petey and Flattop…It was YOU, not him.

The funny thing is…I’d be perfectly fine with having current Ryan Strome

164. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Nah.

Could be mistaken but I thought you said at some point you’ve been on the island for 15 or 20 years already..

165. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar: Its it plausible to suggest that the Oilers could win their sixth before Seattle even has rights to a player?

How about 7 before the dispersal draft.

166. Durag says:

God we would destroy the Pacific over the next few years if it wasn’t for Vegas, and now probably Seattle.

167. Durag says:

Harpers Hair: Nah.

The backstory does make you a more compelling villain, I approve.

168. ArmchairGM says:

Rangers are going home.

169. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

ArmchairGM:
    Rangers are going home.

First to enter the Lafreniere sweepstakes

170. jp says:

171. Todd Macallan says:

I’m going to go ahead and assume that the irony of someone choosing to stop supporting a team due to a history of mediocrity and then choosing to cheer for the Canucks is lost on no one in this community. Well, almost no one.

172. OriginalPouzar says:

Anyone hear Duncan Keith’s comments today?

Coliton mentioned that the first goal was a lack of communication – when Keith was asked about it, he sounded surprised that the coach would say that and mentioned that he and Boquist communicate great and talk alot and that it’s easy to 2nd guess.

Didn’t sound like a 1D that was on the same page with his coach right now….

173. Pescador says:

OilClog:

I have met several Canuck fans who have relocated to Alberta, all decent human beings, they pay their taxes and eat with a fork And a knife.
    Not a one of them would consider switching to becoming an Oiler fan, I’ve asked.
    They have my respect

174. leadfarmer says:

ArmchairGM:
    Rangers are going home.

Panarin really does not want to play in Canada

175. Harpers Hair says:

Todd Macallan:
    I’m going to go ahead and assume that the irony of someone choosing to stop supporting a team due to a history of mediocrity and then choosing to cheer for the Canucks is lost on no one in this community.Well, almost no one.

The only issue with your conclusion is that I’m not actually a Canucks supporter but merely talk about them here because I live in the market and hear a lot about them.

Comparing their rebuild to the Oilers infinibuild is interesting to me since I have knowledge of both unlike many here who believe the Oilers can do no wrong despite ample evidence they screw up all the time and continue to do so.

If there is a current team that really attracts my attention it is the Colorado Avalanche.

Given how Sakic has built that roster while maintaining oodles of cap space and an incredible prospect pool should be an object lesson for all of us.

Seattle also is a team that I will watch closely since early indications are the management of the team really seems to know what they’re doing.

For example, they already have a cutting edge analytics team in place while the Oilers are still old schooling it with hockey men.

Based on Seattle’s branding launch, social media which is already schooling more established teams and innovative ownership group, I expect they will be a force to reckon with in the Pacific Division right out if the gate.

We’ll see.

176. Harpers Hair says:

177. Harpers Hair says:

Paul Almeida (@AzorcanGlobal) Tweeted:
    The #Oilers Eberle trade chain

Eberle to #NYI for Ryan Strome
    Strome to #NYR for Ryan Spooner
    Spooner to #YVR for Sam Gagner

Gagner & two 2nd round picks to #DET for Andreas Athanasiou & Ryan Kuffner

178. Munny says:

No team will benefit more from Covid and what it has done to the League than the Kraken.

179. jp says:

Congratulations to Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes for their first career playoff points. Markstrom looks like he might get his first career W too. Big day for the franchise.

180. Harpers Hair says:

Munny:

RNH might be a prime target.

181. Fuge Udvar says:

I love all the bold predictions on Seattle before they have even signed a player. There are still so many decisions they will make that will be influenced by completely unpredictable factors.

I find it interesting that the seemingly overwhelming consensus is that Seattle will be good because Vegas was good. But when Vegas was announced as an expansion the overwhelming consensus was that they would suck….. Because Columbus sucked when they came in to the league.

I put the odds of Seattle being good or bad at 50/50

182. Harpers Hair says:

Fuge Udvar:

I put the odds of Seattle being good or bad at 50/50

The terms of the expansion draft have changed dramatically since Columbus joined the league.

Not only does Seattle get to feast on the other teams, they are also guaranteed the third best odds to win the draft lottery.

It would take a Kevin Lowe or Peter Chiarelli to screw that up.

183. Harpers Hair says:

jp:

Kevin Fiala is also really good at hockey.

184. wolf8888 says:

Todd Macallan:

HAHAHAH

185. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: I am thinking they may go with the minimum number (or close) of 20 players in the expansion draft and then harvest free agents the rest of the league can’t afford in cap or real dollars to sign.

RNH might be a prime target.

Its unlikely that Nugent-Hopkins will be available to the franchise except via trade.

186. OriginalPouzar says:

As anticipated, as their camp is starting, Puljujarvi signs a one-year deal with Karpat.

Of course, this does not preclude signing in the NHL and coming over when NHL camps start up which very well may still be the plan.

187. Ice Sage says:

jp: The expansion rules remain favourable, so they surely won’t be a weakling. Seattle will be hard pressed to repeat what Vegas has done though I think. JMO, but I feel like teams have learned not to give up too much to protect the assets they do have (like a number did with Vegas).

I agree with this – everything went well for Vegas. I envision Seattle being decent, though – it’s a long-neglected strong hockey market.

188. hunter1909 says:

Todd Macallan:

“I’m a hockey fan”.

189. Chris says:

Nice to see Puluarvi is at least keeping the door open to a return by signing a contract with an NHL out. Given that next season isn’t scheduled to start until December given that the playoffs just started in August I can’t say that doesn’t make sense if the Finnish League is going to start back up in October. You’d have to think he’d be encouraged by how Yammamoto seems to have overcome being yoyoed around and become a regular.

Now it comes down to whether or not the Oilers can dial up the intensity like they did last time. I’m rather hoping the plan is to continue to ride Koskinen as I really wouldn’t disrupt the line up for the last game aside from swapping Haas in for Khaira.