Stanley Cup 2020 Playoffs: Oilers vs Chicago Game 1

It’s going to be a scorcher in Edmonton today, hot sun bearing down and not a cloud to hide behind. Dogs barking, kids laughing, sprinklers keeping time with staccato percussion and lawn mowers humming a familiar tune.

Around 1pm today, the Oilers will hit the ice to play a game that means more to this city than anything that’s happened since spring 2017. Don’t you dare mention August unless it’s in a sentence that includes “Oilers” “in” “August” and “company.” By 4pm, barbecues, beers and adult cheers should echo down the subdivisions. It’s hockey Saturday in Edmonton, and this city doesn’t give a rat’s ass what month it is. Are you all ready for this?

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

KEYS TO THE GAME

For the Oilers, outscoring Chicago five on five is important, marking Patrick Kane imperative. Kane’s the one player on the ‘Hawks roster who will give Edmonton fits. He’s dangerous always with the puck, and if he’s covered then sure as hell the puck is headed to a dangerous place with a linemate in mind. Corey Crawford is also a concern.

Connor McDavid is going to be too much for Chicago’s defense, with Leon Draisaitl on deck. Game 1 is the most important in a five game series, just like strike one is the most important pitch in baseball. Dave Tippett is going to let his horses run free offensively, short leash for support players.

Defensively, the Oilers have a mobile top-4D who can move the puck, defend and outlet well by pass or carry. The Edmonton blue will make mistakes, but laser focus against Kane is vital. Chicago’s defense comes in with a bigger job while carrying less quality and depth.

THE NEAL-LUCIC TRADE

I said all along the Oilers would not get a good result but it’s far less harmful than it could have been. The NHL gives the pick to Calgary but gives Ken Holland a year to trade for a replacement. It’s extremely likely Edmonton uses the 2020 pick. Here’s a mock just for fun, I’ll put the Oilers at No. 20 overall. This mock assumes JP is signed.

No. 20 overall: RC Mavrik Bourque, Shawinigan (QMJHL). I keep coming back to this player because he’s skilled, smart, has great anticipation and a quick release. There are no negatives beyond size (5.10, 176) and his stock is rising due to complete skill set.

No. 82 overall: LW Roby Jarventie, Ilves (Liiga). A bigger winger (6.01, 180) who is an August 2002, he scored a goal in five Liiga games and 23 goals in 36 Mestis games. His skating is average but he’s one of the youngest players in the draft so there is room to grow. His photo reminded me of Lennart Petrell.

No. 144 overall: LW Maxim Groshev, Nizhnekamsk (KHL). He’s 6.01, 195 and an older prospect (December 2001) for this draft. Groshev is a two-way winger with a good shot and can skate. Oilers might take a higher risk player here but lack of picks inside the top 100 could see Holland go the safe route.

No. 175 overall: LC Dmitry Zlodeyev, Dynamo (MHL). His scouting report reads like a Ken Holland player and the Oilers appear to be back on the Russian radar. I do think the Oilers will take more chances and the Denezhkin pick looks strong one year gone.

No. 206 overall: LC Daniel Ljungman, Linkoping (SuperElite). His draft year reflects Philip Broberg’s in that he performed very well and put himself on the prospect map at the Hlinka-Gretzky tournament. Another two-way center who is more shooter than playmaker and could move to wing in pro hockey.

NOTE TO A FRIEND

I’ve been writing this blog for 15 years now, and in my mind’s eye have been talking to one person that whole time: You. That’s the idea of the blog, from the grumpy old guy to photos of the dog.

So, on this special day, a reminder you may remember: Enjoy this.

I used to watch television shows that had scenes where old people cry at graduations, or weddings, or birth announcements or funerals. I enjoyed the laughter but didn’t get the point, but as one ages, and there’s more past than future, things come into view.

I’ve never suggested or anticipated multiple Stanleys for this era of the Oilers, the league is far better now with more teams. It’s also true, without rambling on too much about it, that the support group for McDavid and Draisaitl is a little shy of the men who played alongside 99 and 11.

You only get so many bullets in life, a finite number of lovers and soulmates and children and even sorties for Stanley. You hold on to this, you enjoy every minute, because it’s your experience and your life and your time.

God bless you boys, glory awaits.

546 Responses to "Stanley Cup 2020 Playoffs: Oilers vs Chicago Game 1"

« Older Comments
  1. leadfarmer says:

There’s going to be some real stinkers without any real warmups in these playoffs

2. Klima's_Bucket says:

If Koskinen starts, would this be a happier place?

3. MenovOil says:

We’re winning the Lafrenière lottery ya’ll, it’s all part of the plan.😋

4. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Nix,

This is why we need better literacy around these issues.

Status quo isn’t working, we’ve just had a heartfelt explanation from POC players about why and how it’s not working. If you’re response is that these progressives are ruining sports guess what?

You racist.

This is a math blog.

Do the math.

5. Losing Hope says:

Chelios is a Dinosaur: My hatred for racists supersedes my respect for Lowetide.

You just implied that I am a racist for saying “we are all equal on the field of sports”. Thanks for that. I suppose you will send a mob to burn down my house next?

6. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Chelios is a Dinosaur:
    Nix,

This is why we need better literacy around these issues.

You racist.

This is a math blog.

Do the math.

Calm down, Peaches.

7. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

I really thought they would be ready, that they were ready (looked good a few days ago!), but they weren’t,

Have to move your feet. The nonchalance look doesn’t work for this team.

Koski at least looks ready.

Hope this team learns lessons very quickly here…

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Wow, that was a very very bad game 1.

With that said, this series is NOT over – yup, their backs are up against the wall (and game 1 means ALOT more in a 5-game series) but they can even the series on Monday night and I think they can and will.

Smith was not good but he was just one of many – the team in general was terrible defensively, sustained little offensively, awful on the PK, was out-worked and sloppy in general.

The likes of Klefbom and Larsson were terrible but we know none of the top 4 d-man are coming out.

McDavid was pedestrian – great on the PP but poor at 5 on 5 – lots of giveaways – same with Drai.

Kassian was terrible and AA, Sheahan, Archibald non-existant – to my eye.

So what changes are made?

1) Obviously Koskinen starts.

2) I though Ennis was one of the more engaged players and I’d switch him with Nuge to re-unite the best line in hockey in 2020.

3) Although I’d like to give him some rope, I could take AA out and put Nygard in the 3LW spot.

4) Haas in for either Neal or Chiasson – even though the 4th line was probably the best on the night – need to get Haas in and where else?

5) At this point, I’d keep Kass at 1RW, even though he made mistakes on two goals against and didn’t really do anything – I don’t know who else to put there.

I guess Chiasson could go to 1RW and Haas to 4RW and Kass to the press-box but Kass can have a big positive impact and I’d give him some rope.

6) I don’t think that Russell was any worse than any other d-man (and probably better than a few in the top 4) but I think Jones needs to play. I’d rather see Jones/Benning than Russell/Jones – mainly because Jones is MUCH better on his natural side.

Ennis/McDavid/Kass
    Nuge/Drai/Yamamoto
    Nygard/Sheahan/Archie
    Neal/Khira/Haas

Klefbom/Larsson
    Nurse/Bear
    Jones/Benning (Russell/Jones)

Koskinen
    Skinner

9. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Losing Hope,

Do the math.

10. delooper says:

Apologies folks, I think the loss was all my fault. I assumed the game would be in the evening.

11. RT26 says:

I have never posted this much, but we built a season around using the PP and PK to cover 5v5 inadequacies. I think the results from the regular season inspired a lot of hope.

The formula failed today as we got caved in on the PK and 5v5. We at least tried to fight back at the end. Chicago has CMD’s number and I don’t think he can save us. Let us hope this was a one off and chalk it up to nerves

12. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

delooper:
    Apologies folks, I think the loss was all my fault.I assumed the game would be in the evening.

Apology accepted … it sure wasn’t the fault of anyone on the ice today. LOL.

13. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

delooper,

Your sin shant be forgotten.

14. 66 hertz rental says:

Ok, well the PP has restored some hope. Never nice to see your team embarrassed but maybe it lights a fire. Oh and the politics and most especially the virtue signalling needs to find another home. Sun just rose here and Hope springs eternal my fellows. 3-2 Edmonton on Monday with Mikko in net.

15. Henry says:

OriginalPouzar,

I agree with the move of Nuge to Draisatl’s group but James Neal was one of the few Oiler forwards to play well. He might be the guy to play.with Connor.

It almost looked like the spent most of training camp working on the power play.

I expect a much sharper team in Monday. At least with some skating legs.

16. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar,

I actually agree with every point you made, 1 thru 6. Well done.

17. Kraz says:

18. jtblack says:

on the bright side, at least the team wasn’t Boooooed off the ice … 🙂

19. IceDragoon says:

Losing Hope,

That’s not all you said.
    The status quo is not equal.
    & why on earth would you leap to that ugly assumption.
    ?
    Progressives mob peacefully.
    Chelios is a dinosaur’s math double checks.
    Time to progress.

20. jtblack says:

as LT said Tippett went with his heart and prob over “thunk” it all ….

get K Russell out, it is proven he completely supresses offense when on the ice 5×5. Jones skates and passes better. Put Jones in.

Koski will start game 2. Smith got his 1 chance.

Put RNH-DRAI-YAMO back together.

Hopefully Game 2 is a much better effort and not over 10 mins into the game.

#ANGRY

21. Reja says:

Been watching the Oilers since day one and by far that was the lamest excuse of a Playoff game that I’ve ever seen and if that effort doesn’t light a fire under their asses nothing will.

22. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Reja:

That Russian goalie at pick #18 or so actually looks pretty good right now.

23. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Oiler_Kiwi97,

I’m following the logic of the post.

The passive nature with which politics are assumed to be one thing and not another let’s racism in and allows it to germinate. Matt Dumba said as much.

It’s always the progressive who’s point of view is political while the reactionary is able to let society go on unaffected.

I’ll leave this here. I’ll stop with respect to LT I feel I’ve made my point.

24. Eh Team says:

Kraz: Well the one positive is even if Koskinen started we probably still would of lost with that effort and we would of been facing a must win game 2 with Smith starting in net… anyways here’s hoping this game will wake Tippett the eff up. I think it’s time to put Nuge back with Drai and yamo. That line sets the pace for the whole team and they are all wildly more effective when together. It would pretty damn hard for Chicago to handle the best line in the world and the also the best player in the world

Oilers got outplayed most of the game, but the Smith gimme goal to tie it 1-1 was brutal and swung the tide back to Chicago right after we scored. Smith has had a great career but he’s been a replacement level goalie now for two full years, He has no business starting an NHL playoff game.

But nowhere to go but up. But it would help to play our best players. Kosiken in net, Jones in, Russell out, Haas in, Sheehan out.

Stop turning the puck over and pressure the Blackhawks defense.

25. Reja says:

I don’t live in Edmonton please tell me the the big bad mob isn’t pulling down the Gretzky statue.

26. Munny says:

delooper: I assumed the game would be in the evening.

…so did the Oilers.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:
    Kassian lined up against Kubalik in this game.His job was simple.To make a rookie feel uncomfortable in his first playoff game.

One of the most clueless and unreliable players that I have even seen in my life.

Too bad it wasn’t ZacH Bogosian as Cuthbert suggested.

28. Greenberg says:

Can Lafreniere play wing?

29. OriginalPouzar says:

London Jon: I think that would be a mistake

By my eye Nurse has been far worse and I wouldn’t drop him either.

I’d like to see Jones in but Rusty and Bear have been our best defencemen

I would like to see Jones in as well – tough to take Rusty out as he wasn’t bad today but I would be fine with Jones/Benning next game. Russell/Jones is an option but Jones simply isn’t as effective on his off-side and I wouldn’t suggest any of our d-men on their off-side for game two.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

RT26:
    I worry that we score a few late in the game.The team might feel if we had better luck with the posts that we would be right there.

I would rather lose by 5 and see how we respond.Chicago is faster to the puck, is sitting on our breakout patterns and has nothing to lose.

Judging by the post-game comments, they are well aware of how awful they were today – player (Connor, Nurse, Nuge, Oscar) and coach.

I am totally excited for Monday – they are going to come out FLYING!

31. Oiler_Kiwi97 says:

I am no hockey expert but goaltenders great at playing the puck don’t win Stanley Cups. Maybe stopping them does?

32. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Munny: …so did the Oilers.

Ha! Thx I needed that

33. Munny says:

Well so much for the theory that the Swedes would have an advantage over players from other countries.

They may have been the two worst defencemen on the ice.

34. Klima's_Bucket says:

“Mike Smith is going to have serious blunders that lead to 10-12 goals against over the course of a season But the amount of goals he prevents by playing the puck so much will far exceed what he gives up.” – Kelly Hrudey

35. Reja says:

Munny:

They may have been the two worst defencemen on the ice.

Kelfbom was by far the worst he was embarrassing to watch.

36. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar: Agreed – the top 4 was miserable this afternoon, just miserable but, of course, none of them are coming out and none of them should come out.

I agree. It is difficult to take K Russell out. He had a good game by eye. Maybe the best person to take out is Zack. He looked bad by eye and statistically today. This maybe a good time to insert Patrick Russell in. This would be sending a statement move

37. flyfish1168 says:

Reja: Kelfbom was by far the worst he was embarrassing to watch.

How many times was his shot or passes blocked.

38. Sunnyboy says:

The Oilers need to start the exact same line-up next game, it is put up or shut up time. Prove all this talk about 2 equally good goalies by the team is true. Expecting a coach to play the blender is a desparation move we have seen before that merely masks the real issue that the team sucks. Prove the talk about the more experienced bench boss outcoaching the Chicago staff. The team was crap, putting the blame on Smith when his team was outshot nearly 2 to 1 is a low blow.
    Jones should not play over KR4, Bruce at the C of H has an analysis that KR4 is clearly the #5 Dman and Jones grouped with others (way) behind Benning. The team appears to need team defence like all cup winners have, not sacrificing that for offense.
    This is a wake up call to the team as well as homer boosters, stay the course, a better effort is required.

39. flyfish1168 says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    “Mike Smith is going to have serious blunders that lead to 10-12 goals against over the course of a seasonBut the amount of goals he prevents by playing the puck so much will far exceed what he gives up.” – Kelly Hrudey

Time of game when he makes the blunder is also crucial. Killed our momentum and then he didn’t help himself by at least making any game stealing saves to help his team get back into the game

40. Side says:

Reja:

41. Munny says:

Oiler_Kiwi97:

I don’t know, i’ll have to ask Marty Brodeur.

😉

42. Munny says:

Reja: Kelfbom was by far the worst he was embarrassing to watch.

Well, I’m griping about the D but it wasn’t all their fault. The Fly-the-Zone 2010-19 Tactics were in full effect today.

So many little things done wrong today. Could’ve got the puck deep many times and ground the weaker Hawks D into dust. Could’ve had some intensity, some effort. Could’ve battled more face-offs.

It looked like they were expecting the Hawks to just roll over. That early 1st goal might have been a bad thing actually.

43. Side says:

The Oilers were bad today.

Smith was awful, Tippett made some bad calls.

But the Oilers still scored 4 on Crawford, but that doesn’t excuse the number of shots they allowed on their goalies.

I think we saw a Blackhawks team that was definitely firing on all pistons while we know the Oilers have a lot more to give.

I would be more worried if the Oilers were playing their best and lost 6-0.

One game down, on to the next one.

44. leadfarmer says:

I think these guys spent the hockey shutdown by drinking at Larson’s house

45. leadfarmer says:

Who wants to win the cup in an asterix season anyway

46. Bondo11 says:

Henry:
    OriginalPouzar,

I expect a much sharper team in Monday. At least with some skating legs.
    ______________________________________________________________

I thought Neal, Archie, and Ennis were the best forecheckers today. AA ,Kassian, & Khaira were non-existent and should sit out the next game. The Hawks had far more speed & tenacity on the forecheck, creating turnovers. The Oilers need to duplicate the Hawks forecheck 5 on 5 to have any chance to win the series.

My line-up would be –

Neal/Connor/Archie
    Nuge/Drai/Yamo
    Ennis/Haas/P.Russell
    Nygard/Sheahan/Chiasson

Insert Jones for Russell on D.

Koskinen starts.

47. Lucic n Chong says:

They got nervous.
    Mike Smith shouldn’t have started.
    Tippett got a sunburn or was that a case of the red ass.

Time to play hockey. Next game must win.

48. Reja says:

Side: You can stop hiding underneath your bed, there is no big bad mob no matter what a Facebook group is telling you.

Until it comes to your sweet ass neighborhood and then you’ll change your tune young fella unless of course that you are the Almighty.

49. OriginalPouzar says:

While McDavid had four points tonight, three were on the PP and, in my opinion, he was quite poor at 5 on 5 – didn’t carry the puck in the neutral zone, at all, lots of turnovers on short passes, etc.

He was also held pointless in two games against Chicago.

Perhaps Tippett needs to go away from the “power vs. power” strategy – he intentionally put the McDavid line out against Toews – it didn’t work and it didn’t work during the season.

Two important adjustments, in my opinion:

1) Koskinen (obviously)

2) Get McDavid some favorable matchups while the “home team”.

50. Side says:

Reja: Until it comes to your sweet ass neighborhood and then you’ll change your tune young fella unless of coursethat you are the Almighty.

Can someone channel block Fox News on Grandpa Reja’s tv?

51. Munny says:

Side: I would be more worried if the Oilers were playing their best and lost 6-0.

Loss like this should light a fire under your ass all by itself. I was worried about Khaira. I should’ve been worried about the whole damn team.

52. SwedishPoster says:

Yeah that probably is a different game if Tippett starts the guy who’s been the clearly better goalie all year instead of the veteran he knows from before. If they lose this series he will likely look back at that call as one of the worst of his career. The team looked bad overall but it’s somewhat hard to completely seperate that from the goalie’s effort as imo the team came out with way too much adrenaline and was just running around chasing all over but then had some luck with the too many men call and McDavid being McDavid. After that they looked slightly more composed for a short spell before Smith made his blunder. And then went full sieve. Even the saves he made looked messy. Compared to the calm, methodical game Koskinen played when he came on it was so obvious who is both the better goalie overall and in better form currently. Just look how much quicker Koskinen moves laterally, he’s in a much better position and covers so much more net. The shooter gets much less to shoot at.

Still a terrible game from the Oil. Zero structure, just a mess defensively, a dreadful amount of giveaways especially early, odd man rushes galore, shitty coverage, offensively outside some shifts from the Drai line and later in the game from the JJ line it was an absolute disaster 5v5 with just a lot of one and dones, team looked disjointed. Hopefully it was merely a case of the wrong energy level going in and a goalie who didn’t instill confidence that got to the team. Or this will be a short series.

PP looked good though.

53. Side says:

Munny: I also like this loss better than a heartbreaker, especially one created by reffing, or stupidly blowing a lead and losing in OT.

Loss like this should light a fire under your ass all by itself.I was worried about Khaira.I should’ve been worried about the whole damn team.

It’s also a very Oilers thing to do to play down to their opponent.

Hopefully the fire is lit and they were embarassed by their effort.

54. Side says:

SwedishPoster:
    Yeah that probably is a different game if Tippett starts the guy who’s been the clearly better goalie all year instead of the veteran he knows from before. If they lose this series he will likely look back at that call as one of the worst of his career. The team looked bad overall but it’s somewhat hard to completely seperate that from the goalie’s effort as imo the team came out with way too much adrenaline and was just running around chasing all over but then had some luck with the too many men call and McDavid being McDavid. After that they looked slightly more composedfor a short spell before Smith made his blunder. And then went full sieve. Even the saves he made looked messy. Compared to the calm, methodical game Koskinen played when he came on it was so obvious who is both the better goalie overall and in better form currently. Just look how much quicker Koskinen moves laterally, he’s in a much better position and covers so much more net. The shooter gets much less to shoot at.

PP looked good though.

Very good post.

There was a lot of talk about Crawford and him being the biggest obstacle for the Oilers.

Well, the Oilers played one of their worst games of the year and still potted 4 on him.

I am less concerned about Crawford’s impact on the series now.

55. OriginalPouzar says:

Greenberg:
    Can Lafreniere play wing?

He is indeed a left winger I believe.

56. Munny says:

Side: It’s also a very Oilers thing to do to play down to their opponent.

Yeah, no kidding. Well-worn script.

57. Reja says:

Side: Can someone channel block Fox News on Grandpa Reja’s tv?

58. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar:

He was also held pointless in two games against Chicago.

Two important adjustments, in my opinion:

1) Koskinen (obviously)

2) Get McDavid some favorable matchups while the “home team”.

Fun fact.

Kirby Dach TOI 19:09
    Jonathan Toews TOI 17:06.

Didn’t you tell me the Oilers were going to destroy him?

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Sunnyboy:

Are you suggesting that Smith gets the start?

60. quade says:

Harpers Hair,

Go comment on some Canucks fan blog you asshat.

61. Side says:

Reja: If you want to grow up and sit at the adult table you’ll find out who owns Laura.

Darn!

62. OriginalPouzar says:

Side: Very good post.

I am less concerned about Crawford’s impact on the series now.

4 goals plus two posts.

If AA’s cross-bar early goes in, maybe its a different game.

Of course, 3 PP goals and one 5 on 5 goal in garbage time…….

I’m fired up for Monday and I EXPECT the team will be as well.

A request to respect each other and to refrain from talking politics, please and thanks.

Nygard, McDavid, Neal
    Nugent-Hopkins, Draisaitl, Yamamoto
    Ennis, Sheahan, Archibald
    Athanasiou, Khaira, Chaisson

Nurse Bear
    Klefbom, Larsson
    Russell, Benning

Koskinen

Flip flop Ennis and Nygard and Athanasioiu as necessary.

If the Oilers are the home team, Draisaitl on Toews.

godot10:
    Nygard, McDavid, Neal
    Nugent-Hopkins, Draisaitl, Yamamoto
    Ennis, Sheahan, Archibald
    Athanasiou, Khaira, Chaisson

Nurse Bear
    Klefbom, Larsson
    Russell, Benning

Koskinen

Flip flop Ennis and Nygard and Athanasioiu as necessary.

If the Oilers are the home team, Draisaitl on Toews.

Haas and Patrick Russell are in if they lose game 2. Maybe Benson. If Sheahan is not completely healthy, I would consider Haas in game 2.

What a putrid effort from Kassian. He waved at Kubalik all night, the guy he was matched up against.

I can’t believe they put him out in the last minute. He continually gave possession back to the Blackhawks.

The first critical mistake on the 3rd and 4th goals against.

67. oilersfan says:

Was the cagiula hit on Ennis a suspendable event? Shoulder into chin?

Would have been nice if it was at least called a coincidental minor as the hawks scored on the ensuing PP

68. McSorley33 says:

Myself, as soon as it is permissible, I am taking the family to downtown Seattle. Or if hotels are too pricey there, maybe Portland.

69. flyfish1168 says:

godot10:
    What a putrid effort from Kassian.He waved at Kubalik all night, the guy he was matched up against.

I can’t believe they put him out in the last minute.He continually gave possession back to the Blackhawks.

The first critical mistake on the 3rd and 4th goals against.

Send a statement and replace him with Russell

How putrid was Kassian?

Kassian is trending in Alberta on Twitter, not in a good way, and I haven’t tweeted anything! -).

71. Reja says:

Side: You mean I can’t sit at a table where we talk about an imaginary angry mob in Edmonton who is going to tear down a Wayne Gretzky statue?

Darn!

We are already at the point where the next game is a must win everyone of the players needs to be bitch slapped they were embarrassment to donn the Oilers colours. I’m still pissed at the pedestrian effort but they can redeem themselves and win the next game.

72. flyfish1168 says:

Harpers Hair: Fun fact.

Kirby Dach TOI 19:09
    Jonathan Toews TOI 17:06.

Didn’t you tell me the Oilers were going to destroy him?

73. Bondo11 says:

flyfish1168,

Kassian was trash! He needs to sit on Monday.

74. Side says:

Reja: We are already at the point where the next game is a must win everyone of the players needs to be bitch slapped they were embarrassment to donnthe Oilerscolours. I’m still pissed at the pedestrian effort but they can redeem themselves and win the next game.

I still believe!

75. Side says:

McSorley33: Completely agree, CNN and the New York Times assure us all ‘ the mostly peaceful protests’ were carefully, and tastefully, redecorating civil society.

Myself, as soon as it is permissible, I am taking the family to downtown Seattle. Or if hotels are too pricey there,maybe Portland.

Just keep your eye out for busses. It may be packed with thousands of antifa wielding bricks.

76. Harpers Hair says:

flyfish1168: A smart person would realize with a 6-2 lead to rest Toews and have Dach play to gain more experience.

What you saw was a textbook example of a team with three strong lines outplaying a top heavy team which puts up gaudy PP stats but gets caved at evens.

Same as it ever was.

77. Munny says:

If you missed the game, or simply want to re-live the pain #becauseoilers, extended highlights can be found here, as per usual:

78. Reja says:

Side: The Oilers wouldn’t be the Oilers if it weren’t for disappointing, piss poor efforts followed by games that make you wonder if some of the players are touched by a divine entity..

I still believe!

When they win it’ll be like the last bite of a Super Donair where you drink the remaining sauce like a animal for some unknown reason.

79. Jim Boe says:

Gotta admit, I’m impressed by the incredible patience of this blog and its users to tolerate someone who is a fan of another team first and is expressly here to aggravate fans of this blog’s team, and has been for apparently their entire tenure.

Hats off to you folks. Back to lurking I go.

Jim Boe:

Hats off to you folks. Back to lurking I go.

Any blog worth its salt has resident trolls. It is a sign of an Overton window on the blog is wide enough to allow it to survive and to be interesting and informative and irritating.

Trolls are a feature of a good blog, not a defect.

81. OilClog says:

Going to go out on a limb and suggest a smart person would realize spending their energy on being a troll is infact the opposite of what they’re claiming and just end their unhealthy ways.

Once Mikko was between the pipes the Oilers turned it around, coach has some major adjustments and he hopefully listens to some of the staff around him.

Luckily every game is on Oiler ice, they will handle this adversity.

82. JimmyV1965 says:

godot10:
    Kassian with a pitiful effort in getting to the point after the faceoff on the 3rd goal.Totally lazy effort.

On the 4th goal.Kassian lost a board battle against Toews, and then let Toews go to the next unmarked, choosing to cover air instead.

Kassian made the first Oiler mistake on both goals, and two mistakes on the 4th goal.

I agree. Kassian was awful, just awful today. He was slow, he was passive, he repeatedly made bad passes. Winners don’t fly the dzone until you actually have possession of the puck. No way he can be back on the top line for game 2.

83. flyfish1168 says:

Harpers Hair: An even smarter person would realize that McDavid played 23 minutes so had about 6 minutes when Toews wasn’t on the ice blowing OPs theory.

Same as it ever was.

What you saw was an over excited inexperienced team versus an experienced patient team

84. Munny says:

godot10: If the Oilers are the home team, Draisaitl on Toews.

I’m not sure why Tipp didn’t try to get this matchup more.

85. Munny says:

Faustkarz: is it only politics to do so?

The difficulty lies in keeping it out.

Yikes! Thunder banger coming up the Bow just about took down muh laptop.

86. JOFA says:

Same as it ever was.

Truth. 5 on 5 is a weakness for the team.

Dach was impressive. I haven’t watched him play much, but it looks like the kid has a bright future.

Big boy hockey was played earlier in the day by the Rangers and the Hurricanes. The Oilers would have been spanked if they would have played either today.

87. Harpers Hair says:

flyfish1168: The smartest person would realize you play your best player more to get back into the game and the home teams coach needed to change the matchups.

I think it comes down more to balance than age however.

While the Hawks are deficient on D, their forward group is pretty deep.

88. OriginalPouzar says:

I still believe!

We saw lots of “blow outs” in 2017 followed by a reversal the next game.

I 100% expect the Oilers to come out fast and physical on Monday night – there is no other option.

89. Harpers Hair says:

JOFA: Truth.5 on 5 is a weakness for the team.

Dach was impressive. I haven’t watched him play much, but it looks likethe kid has a bright future.

That lack of a strong 3C and mediocre top 6 wingers will remain a concern.

90. flyfish1168 says:

Harpers Hair: The Hawks are actually the youngest team in the playoffs although they do have some seasoned veterans to balance all that youth.

I think it comes down more to balance than age however.

While the Hawks are deficient on D, their forward group is pretty deep.

They have excellent balance. Hawks vets are healthy and are still good contributors for team success. They have enough rings within the veteran core for the youth to respect them.

91. Reja says:

JOFA: Truth.5 on 5 is a weakness for the team.

If the Oilers finish every check (no cheating) and maybe a few open ice hits they win this series it’s not rocket science.

92. Reja says:

Harpers Hair: That lack of a strong 3C and mediocre top 6 wingers will remain a concern.

Anytime you want to bet on the series I’m always here.

93. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar: Absolutely – while somewhat demoralized, I am still confidant the Oilers win the series and am already fired up for Monday.

We saw lots of “blow outs” in 2017 followed by a reversal the next game.

I agree. I’m still positive. Miko will get the start. I would like to see Haas in lineup.

94. who says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Wow, that was a very very bad game 1.

Kassian was terrible and AA, Sheahan, Archibald non-existant – to my eye.

So what changes are made?

1) Obviously Koskinen starts.

6) I don’t think that Russell was any worse than any other d-man (and probably better than a few in the top 4) but I think Jones needs to play.I’d rather see Jones/Benning than Russell/Jones – mainly because Jones is MUCH better on his natural side.

Ennis/McDavid/Kass
    Nuge/Drai/Yamamoto
    Nygard/Sheahan/Archie
    Neal/Khira/Haas

Klefbom/Larsson
    Nurse/Bear
    Jones/Benning(Russell/Jones)

Koskinen
    Skinner

So Russell was the Oilers best dman today, and your lineup adjustment is to take him out of game 2?
    Brilliant.

95. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Wow, that was a very very bad game 1.

Kassian was terrible and AA, Sheahan, Archibald non-existant – to my eye.

So what changes are made?

1) Obviously Koskinen starts.

Ennis/McDavid/Kass
    Nuge/Drai/Yamamoto
    Nygard/Sheahan/Archie
    Neal/Khira/Haas

Klefbom/Larsson
    Nurse/Bear
    Jones/Benning(Russell/Jones)

Koskinen
    Skinner

I think Kass has to be removed from line 1. H might have been the worst player on the ice and that ain’t saying much.

I would reunite the dynamite line as well. I know that leaves McDavid high and dry, but Kass was dragging him down anyway. McDavid with who the hell knows. It can’t get any worse.

96. Munny says:

I’m pretty sure many of Holland’s thoughts are already bent in that direction.

Today’s loss wasn’t about a lack of talent though, It was about a sucky, brainless, effortless, heads up ass performance. There’s enough talent there to beat the Hawks, even spotting them one. But not playing the way they did today.

This is all a learning experience, for all the teams. No one knows what path through will win out.

The Oil certainly needed this lesson. What remains to be seen is whether they learn from it. They have in the past so I expect we will see a different team in two days. I think you think this too… and will be tempted to put a unit on the Oil. 😉

97. Lucic n Chong says:

Must really hurt coach Tippett to get totally RAM-RANCHED by Jeremy (Ron) Collinton
    Oilers should cut a cheque to the Hawks, That rube showed Uncle Dave and his staff a full coaching clinic for free. In one period.

98. Munny says:

Faustkarz:
    Harpers Hair,

Wait, so the NHL should not show signs of solidarity because joe sixpack at home will get bored?

Brilliant take, congrats.

That’s a vast over-simplification of what he said… and this is one of the reasons why we need to avoid hot button topics here.

Please stick to hockey, guys. This is the playoffs. Actual serious stuff, lol.

99. flyfish1168 says:

Kubalik had a good game because Zack had a bad game. Zack need to paint him into the boards and own his space.

100. --hudson-- says:

Mark Lewis out of retirement and doing the PA for the Flames-Jets game. Haven’t heard him since the last game at Rexall.

Talbot starts

101. Munny says:

Look guys. LT has it right. It’s a really bad idea to go down that road. Politics, hot button issues, etc.

I don’t want to judge what others say about hockey because of what I know and think about their politics. I try not to. But I also don’t want people to judge what I write about hockey because of what they think about my politics.

This place is supposed to bring us together.

Outside issues would divide us. Is this what we want?

And no one is going to be convinced one way or the other by what is said in the comment section of a hockey blog, so it’s bloody pointless anyways. We’re all just masturbating… and showing off while doing it.

Hey, I’ve been one of the more guilty ones over the history of this wonderful site. But things are different today, and I don’t want this place to become as polarized as the real world. It would end Lowetide, or at least the comment section. We will have killed the goose that has laid so many golden eggs for us over the past 15 years.

I ask again… is that the outcome we want?

At this point in his life, LT has his radio show and his gig at The Athletic demanding a lot of his time. And yet we ask him to moderate our asses constantly in what is largely a volunteer enterprise? This might be the oldest of his intellectual properties, but it is also the least vital to his family’s survival. Please keep that in mind. He can walk away from here and still write, still talk, still provide.

Most of all, please keep LT in mind. Take off your shoes at the door and don’t make a goddamn mess.

102. deardylan says:

That NHL opening piece might mean much more for at least 1 kid who will remember that moment and go on to affect the lives of all future generations. It might matter to someone who arrived in this country and just saw their first hockey game. It might matter to the Dumba and his family watching him give that speech to a circle of his colleagues. It might matter to our own Darnell Nurse. It might be uncomfortable to me but that is exactly the point. I hope it repeats until it doesnt have to.

103. Harpers Hair says:

flyfish1168:
    Kubalik had a good game because Zack had a bad game.Zack need to paint him into the boards and own his space.

Kubalik has good games all the time.

He’s a stone cold killer.

104. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Tchachuck just stuck his blade into the back of Scheiffeles leg

What a dirty bag of shit. I can’t wait for him to get fully paid back

105. Reja says:

We could of had Tkachuk.

106. flyfish1168 says:

Harpers Hair: Kubalik has good games all the time.

He’s a stone cold killer.

He does and more people are seeing this now. Today Zack didn’t mark his man. Dominik didn’t break much of a sweat or was scared to go into the scoring areas.

107. frjohnk says:

Oilers get bounced in 3.

Flames win the Cup in Edmonton.

Tkachuk Conn Smyth winner.

You heard it here first.

108. flyfish1168 says:

Copp scores Jets ahead

109. flyfish1168 says:

frjohnk:
    Oilers get bounced in 3.

Flames win the Cup in Edmonton.

Tkachuk Conn Smyth winner.

You heard it here first.

Wake me up. I’m having a bad dream

110. Scungilli Slushy says:

Harpers Hair: Kubalik has good games all the time.

He’s a stone cold killer.

Good young player

Where do you hide, when your bluster proves wrong, and your community here is asking about it?

I feel that cycle tourqing up again.

111. Scungilli Slushy says:

Sadly I couldn’t watch the game so not commenting on it yet.

But a sadly familiar tone to it from reading the comments.

Make or break time Tipp.

Not forever but for playoffs. Nobody knows where the tie is.

112. leadfarmer says:

Mtl is giving the Pens a handful
    There’s something about being able to play with no pressure on you

Tkachuk looked at the official after he cut Schieflle with his skate blade. Only conclusion possible is that it was NOT accidental, and intentional.

It looks intentional. Schieffle had turned away, and Tkachuk lifted his skate blade to insure he got a piece of Schieffle.

godot10:
    Tkachuk looked at the official after he cut Schieflle with his skate blade.Only conclusion possible is that it was NOT accidental, and intentional.

It looks intentional.Schieffle had turned away, and Tkachuk lifted his skate blade to insure he got a piece of Schieffle.

#MattCookeSpecial

115. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Petry in OT

116. OriginalPouzar says:

There is a bearing for Caggiula for his hit on Ennis.

GordieHoweHatTrick:
    Petry in OT

Oldie but “goodie”

“At the end of last year I felt strongly that we had to challenge Jeff on a one-year deal. I didn’t like where his game was going. I didn’t like the urgency in his game and the decisiveness in his game and I thought it was important that we challenge him on a one-year deal.”

118. Buddy says:

OriginalPouzar:
    There is a bearing for Caggiula for his hit on Ennis.

Black or Grizzly?

119. flyfish1168 says:

godot10:

I just wish refs would see him for what he is. I have yet to see him get caught on a slew foot. Oppositions teams should complain to officials and lobby the league to look into this. It is a dangerous play.

120. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

godot10: Oldie but “goodie”

Yeah it’s tough watching Petry Schultz and Marino playing while hoping the oilers should finally have sufficient depth at RD next year; 5 years later…

121. Younger Oil says:

Just saw what Tkachuk did and I am also of the mind that it was intentional (especially with his history). There is no reason to go into the boards with your skate lifted off the ground, with the blade pointed at the opponents leg.

That was a red card tackle in a soccer game, and he did it with a fucking knife strapped to his foot.

Yet another career derailed by a spineless piece of shit that the league will do nothing about. Disgusting.

122. JOFA says:

Reja: If the Oilers finish every check (no cheating)and maybe a few open ice hits theywin this series it’s not rocket science.

But it could be science of the rocket😉

123. PokeCheck says:

Tobias Rieder just… scored a goal. What a time to be alive!

124. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Reider with his first playoff goal!

Shortie too.

Enough joy for one day…

125. rickithebear says:

Cup finalists:
    1. Strong HD/ 0% Corsi defensive coach.
    2. String open shot save % goalie
    3. 3-4 strong HD/Closed shot Dmen
    4. Deep top 125 overall & even FWd team.
    5. Strong PK fwd & Dmen.

Vegas copied it 100% and got to the final!
    The only championship roster theory proof in all world spirts analytics!

6-4!
    Oh shit!

126. Reja says:

godot10:

Whine all you want about him he’s winning the game and probably the series for them.

127. Reja says:

JOFA: But it could be science of the rocket😉

Just what the world needs another Reverse Engineer.

128. Gerta Rauss says:

Tippett post game

I didn’t think we played well enough…we made far too many mistakes and lost too many battles..it’s as simple as that

Gregor asked specifically about his decision to go with Smith but you’ll have to listen to the presser ’cause I’m not transcribing the whole thing LoL

129. who says:

JimmyV1965: No offence, but a 15 minute feel good presentation does absolutely nothing to alleviate racism. In fact, it’s just another corporate marketing exercise to prove how wonderful and woke they are.

The corporate sports industry can do many, many things to make this world a better place. Another marketing presentation doesn’t even feel sincere anymore. It just something they feel they have to do.

If the NHL wants to step up to the plate, they should boycott the Chinese Olympics until that country stops persecuting more than one million Muslim’s.If Nike honestly wants to make this world a better place, it should start by cleaning up its supply chain.

The corporate hypocrisy running rampant right now is embarrassing.

You’ve articulated my feelings much better than I was able to do in my post.
    Thank you.

130. Harpers Hair says:

Colorado Avalanche writer Adrian Dater has kicked a hornets nest on Twitter.

Adrian Dater (@adater) Tweeted:
    Regretting my Oilers pick over Chicago. Connor McDavid a brilliant talent but a personality-deficient guy. I think his blandness rubs off too much on teammates. Happy to hear opinions to the contrary but fact is he doesn’t inspire others

131. Munny says:

Today’s game was eerily similar to the Calgary exhibition game. Although they looked even more jacked with emotion at the beginning of this one. Anyways, early lead, suck, come back late, this time fall short because it’s a bridge too far. I know it’s human nature to find patterns but that’s been the template.

132. Munny says:

Harpers Hair,

Dater probably had trouble navigating his way to the post-game.

133. jp says:

fries n gravy: This young dad spent real domestic capital to watch today’s game live as a bachelor. So far this looks like a Chiarellian overpay.

My daughter’s 4th birthday party (scheduled for this afternoon well before the Oilers were) saved me from watching today. I feel for you.

134. jp says:

Ryan:
    It’s almost unbelievable.
    It doesn’t matter who the coach or GM is for the Oilers.
    The addled thinking perseveres regardless.

Puljujarvi was/is right to be sceptical.

135. Munny says:

Flames lock it up.

Knocking out the other team’s best skater proved effective.

136. jp says:

I’m really surprised Tippett started Smith. Koskinen clearly outplayed him in the later scrimmages and didn’t give up a goal against Calgary.

Sounds like the team was putrid in front of the goalies too. Ugly combo. And it looks like the score flattered the team with 2 goals in the last 4 minutes.

All hands on deck for Monday.

137. dustrock says:

Harpers Hair:
    Colorado Avalanche writer Adrian Dater has kicked a hornets nest on Twitter.

Adrian Dater (@adater) Tweeted:

McDavid was invisible against the Ducks in 2017 and invisible tonight outside of 1 minute in and the last 2 minutes.

I realize it’s an old Edmonton tradition to blame the stars but I haven’t seen many games this poor from McDavid in his entire Oilers career.

Actually didn’t realize he was on the ice for 75% of his shifts and that’s the biggest insult I can give him.

138. flea says:

I think the results today for all the games prove these series may evolve as time goes on. The lower seeds all come in with a chip on their shoulders, but can they sustain.

Oilers need to bring more emotion – maybe they feed more off the crowd than they thought – use the crowd to build momentum. They need to find a way to do it without the crowd.

139. JimmyV1965 says:

dustrock: Well they were comparing McDavid to Jordan with his competitiveness prior to the game. Shame he doesn’t show up like playoff Jordan.

140. Munny says:

flea:

Well, I think we knew going in that home ice advantage would be greatly diminished. That won’t play a role for the underseeds till it “goes back to their barn”. We’ll see, but it is unlikely the prior stretch of 5 game series from the early 1980s is predictive of this set. Way too many differences. We’ll see though. The team that can play 20 straight road games probably wins this thing.

141. Jaxon says:

Nurse / Bear
    Klefbom / Larsson
    Jones / Benning

Koskinen

142. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Jaxon,

I like both options, in theory, but if have a hard time playing Kassian over Chiasson considering the gulf between their performances. So for the next game I’d say option one with Chaisson as 3R and 44 in the PB for a game to see what shakes loose.

Also, KRusty wasn’t the problem on defense, so I’d be remiss to have him sit. That’s not the message I’d be looking to send even if I agree with your deployment.

143. London Jon says:

Benson / Nugent-Hopkins / Neal
    Nygard / Haas / Archibald

Nurse / Bear
    Klefbom / Larsson
    Jones / Benning

Koskinen

I think Neal looks sharp, hungry and a step quicker

I would also play him with McDavid until he starts running out of gas. Also stops Kassian from dragging down the McD line until he gets his shit together

145. Scungilli Slushy says:

JimmyV1965: This may be sacrilegious, but I think McDavid had a completely meh game today. He certainly didn’t impose his will and he needs to do that. This game or series certainly won’t define his career, and a winger not named Kassian might help as well, but I hope to see more from him next game. He shouldn’t be facing Toews either, at least not in the face off circle. Toews won 16 today. McDavid won 4.

If JPs agent was smrt he’d be telling his client to work on his skating, his structural understanding of NHL play, and to learn how to be good at faceoffs. A career made.

« Older Comments