Get Ready

In the early fall of 2015, Todd McLellan was trying to figure out a way to use his three centers (Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl) in the most effective way. His reasoning and his decision, is fascinating these years later.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

BACK IN 2015

Todd McLellan“I look at Leon Draisiatl, and in my opinion Nugent-Hopkins and Connor McDavid are going to be #1 and #2 centremen in our organization for a long, long time, they’re that talented and that good. Not that Leon isn’t, but career-wise, he might love to be on one of their wings and playing in the top six rather than maybe being that third-line centre. I think it’s really unfair to peg him there, but we have to look at it from that perspective. [The defensive] responsibilities as a winger are somewhat less, his board work is quite good, and one of the things that impressed me the most about Leon is his ability to play on his backhand. Joe Thornton has incredible eyes and makes incredible passes on his backhand. For a young man like Leon, he did the exact same thing at our summer development camp, which is something I wasn’t aware of.” Source

McLellan ran some interesting lines and pairings in preseason 2015, including a fantastic trio (Hall—McDavid—Draisaitl) in the first pre-season game against the Calgary Flames. McLellan would move Teddy Purcell to the line with Hall-McDavid (trio would go 7-0 Corsi and 2-0 shots) while Leon landed with Anton Lander and Nail Yakupov (11-0 Corsi and 4-0 shots).

Dave Tippett’s first preseason game in 2019-20 saw him place McDavid with Leon and Kassian a trio that has played a lot together since.

Speed!

Yakimov is one of a pile of draft picks by Edmonton during the past decade who had foot speed as a concern. At last year’s draft, Philip Broberg’s scouting report suggested he was the best skating defenseman available. Edmonton took him. Here are the fast trains in this year’s draft:

• LC Tim Stutzle, DEL. Dynamic player, highlight reel offense. Tremendous skater.
  • LC Connor Zary, WHL. Quick, smart two-way center effective across 200 feet.
  • RC Seth Jarvis, WHL.  Jarvis is a fantastic player, undersized and skilled. Big second half.
  • LD Jake Sanderson, USHL. Smart, fast two-way defenseman has complete skill set.
  • RC Jacob Perreault, OHL. Skates well, great shot, great numbers, excellent passer.
  • LD Kaiden Guhle, WHL. Big defenseman has good foot speed and full skill set.
  • LW Brendan Brisson, USHL. Undersized speedster spiked late. Big riser.
  • RW Alexander Pashin, MHL. Small winger with impressive skill can score and pass.
  • LW John-Jason Peterka, DEL. A speedy winger with skill, survived in a men’s league.
  • RC Jean-Luc Foudy, OHL. Speedy center plus skill, mediocre season.

I don’t believe Holland and Wright will draft a defenseman but if Sanderson or Guhle are there it could get interesting. I think Holland will trade in to the second round for someone like Foudy.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning it’s a big day, TSN1260. The Seattle NHL team will be announcing its name. I’m going with Murder Sockeyes! We’ll talk to Geoff Baker from the Seattle Times about an exciting day in franchise history. Joe Osborne from OddsShark will set us up for opening day in major league baseball and we are searching for a Jays guest too. 10-1260 text @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

189 Responses to "Get Ready"

1. Brantford Boy says:

You baited me right into the last paragraph LT… was thinking could you imagine if Holland took Sanderson or Guhle… should be some interesting comments today… bring out your dead…

2. John Chambers says:

I think the Centres 3 model should be considered for next season.

Not long ago the Oilers has a shortage of quality wingers, but that is no longer so.

If Puljujarvi gets welcomed back, he, Yamamoto, and Kassian are the top-9’s right side, while Athanasiou, Neal, and let’s say Benson or Ennis can flank the left.

3. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– A few years ago I was all about Hall and Drai as C’s on different lines. There was so much resistance

– I’m glad to see that thesis play out and work

– I’ve also been belief that they play all 3 Cs on different lines, and if need be have an all-star line at some point, and PP time, and 3×3 OT

– Having your three best players as Cs on 3 lines gives the team the best chance to be deadly

– It also makes it harder match-up for other teams. Sure individually in thoery maybe each of the them scores a little less (less ice time, and they aren’t playing with each other, the best players)

– But this less scoring individually (I don’t buy it), is compenstated and then some collectivey by a more potent 3 lines, plus less wear and tear long-term on them who play crazy minutes

– This gives 6 wingers a chance to play with skill. Wingers are better if their C is better. Right now there are only 3 wingers who get to play with skill.

– The same resistance to the 3C’s as seperating Drai and McD IMO. We will only know if it they try putting all 3 of them on lines when they are all healthy.

– Plus we arent’ then giving up assets for a player who is way worse than RNH as the 3C

– 3Cs of this calibre would be deadly: no one else in league has this

4. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Here are the candidates for those 6 wingers to play with the big 3 in the future:

1) Kailer
    2) Chiasson
    3) Kassian
    4) AA
    5) Ennis
    6) Nygard
    7) Neal
    8) Pool (if he came back)
    9) Off-season RFA
    10) Off-season trade
    11) One of the AHL’ers

– All of 1-11 would have track records of scoring well when paired with good C’s for 6 spots. Do it

5. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

John Chambers:
    I think the Centres 3 model should be considered for next season.

– Ha! just saw this posted after I put mine up. If I recall you were also a Drai and CmD on different lines advocate as well

– Most of the analysis about why certain wingers don’t work has no data for them playing consistently with skilled Cs on 3 lines

– It’s obvious IMO. IT would be also innovative, and the way hockey is going: more scoring hopefully

6. OriginalPouzar says:

Solid write-up from Nugent-Bowman re: last night’s scrimmage:

Hi Level Notes:

– McDavid was the best player on the ice – was flying

– McDavid set up both of Nuge’s goals

– Broberg/Jones were a pair and switched playing left and right – notable that Jones wasn’t on the same team as Russell/Benning – its clear that will be the 3rd pairing

– AA was full credit for his snipe but, other than that, he didn’t do much.

– Smith did give up all 7 goals but had very little help. Advantage Mikko.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

LT – great job on the Handkerchief Podcast – great listen this morning.

8. ArmchairGM says:

Brantford Boy:

If he takes Sanderson or Guhle, we’ll have to trade both Nurse AND Klefbom.

Too soon?

9. Brantford Boy says:

ArmchairGM,

As long as those two fetch us a quality 3C 🙂

10. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Solid write-up from Nugent-Bowman re: last night’s scrimmage:

Hi Level Notes:

– McDavid was the best player on the ice – was flying

– McDavid set up both of Nuge’s goals

– AA was full credit for his snipe but, other than that, he didn’t do much.

– Smith did give up all 7 goals but had very little help. Advantage Mikko.

– Bouchard is faster than Athanasiou

11. dustrock says:

I think the argument about putting Nuge as 3C is an interesting one, I agree the wingers should be better overall.

HOWEVER: Chemistry is a thing.

12. Darth Tu says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Solid write-up from Nugent-Bowman re: last night’s scrimmage:

Hi Level Notes:

– McDavid was the best player on the ice – was flying

– McDavid set up both of Nuge’s goals

– AA was full credit for his snipe but, other than that, he didn’t do much.

– Smith did give up all 7 goals but had very little help. Advantage Mikko.

13. dustrock says:

AA will be in Europe in 2 years. Doesn’t have the drive.

14. N64 says:

If the name was available Seattle really missed if they don’t go Kraken. With apologies to our resident giant squid overlord I for one would welcome our new giant squid overlords

15. dustrock says:

Darth Tu,

I think he meant Tippett is set on Russell-Benning because they’ve been together from the beginning.

OriginalPouzar:

17. dustrock says:

Regarding fans in the stands, I believe France has been letting limited numbers (5,000 I think) of fans in to watch soccer games.

I wonder if they’d do a lottery for season ticket holders and get 5,000 fans in Rogers safely.

I suspect they could do a lottery for the non-Oilers games as well, and still you’d get people interested.

18. Elgin R says:

Draft speed, speed, speed. If a player cannot keep up, the impact of other skills is lessened.

19. Darth Tu says:

dustrock,

Got it. The two lefties as third pair surprised me.

20. LadiesloveSmid says:

I’m just hoping AA gels with an oiler centre.

He scored like a borderline 1st liner at 5v5 every season but 19/20. Draws a ton of penalties. Doesn’t appear to be an abhorrent possession drag.

21. €√¥£€^$ says:

Hi LT,

Dylan Holloway is also a fast train.

22. N64 says:

dustrock:

6000 in an outdoor soccer stadiim

23. €√¥£€^$ says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    I’m just hoping AA gels with an oiler centre.

How does this 3rd line look:

Athanasiou – Brandon Sutter – Jesse

24. ArmchairGM says:

Elgin R: If AA makes it as a very good 3rd-line player, the 2 x 2nd round picks are still value. Looking at lower second round picks (approximately #50 – #62) from 2012 – 2018 drafts shows only 5 players selected that play in the top 6 for their clubs (Greenway, Dvorak, Bertuzzi, Tierney and Sandford). None of these players have scored as many goals as AA. I would think that Holland was hoping for 2nd line deployment, but there is time we wait.

Athanasiou has serious wrinkles in his game, but I think if anyone can iron them out its Tippett. I don’t think we can judge properly until he’s had 30+ games to work with him.

Elgin R: The Oilers will most probably draft in the 20 – 31 range. Would like to see Zary taken if available.

These two paragraphs don’t make sense to me – Zary isn’t a good skater. Here’s Pronman:

“The major knock on Zary is his skating. Some scouts think it’ll be pro average, some think below-average. I lean to the former camp. It’s not great, and the stride breaks down at times, but I think the stride is good enough that he’ll be able to skate at the NHL pace.”

Jarvis, Amirov, Holloway, Reichel, Khusnutdinov and Wiesblatt are all top-shelf skaters that could be available in the 20-31 range.

25. Harpers Hair says:

It’s Kraken…best logo in hockey.

26. Harpers Hair says:

Brennan Klak (@nhlupdate) Tweeted:
    The new jerseys for the Seattle Kraken:

#NHLSeattle https://t.co/K5KcXkcBzX

27. Harpers Hair says:

The video reveal.

Seattle Kraken (@NHLSeattle_) Tweeted:
    A legend from the deep awakens.

Meet the Seattle Kraken → https://t.co/to5BtVVPh1 https://t.co/FQfOdaiGQQ

28. Darth Tu says:

Harpers Hair:
    It’s Kraken…best logo in hockey.

Aye. I’m in. My name starts with S. I love nautical crap (also a Mariners fan).

This can be my Vegas*, or whatever the rest of you lads/ladettes do with your second team.

*until there’s some sort of horrible hate filled series in the playoffs and I hate the Kraken.

29. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Harpers Hair,

Good god man

30. OriginalPouzar says:

Darth Tu: Am I reading this incorrectly or are you saying that Jones/Broberg are the third pair?

I’m saying that they were paired together last night and Jones was on a team with Benning to take any reps. Its a fairly clear signal that the 3rd pairing on opening night will be Russell/Benning.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM: – Bouchard is faster than Athanasiou

Yup, seems DNB was none too pleased with AA’s overall play given he singled out that play.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: Because Broberg/Jones might be the 3rd pairing, maybe not the first game, but sooner than you might think. But Russell and Benning are on notice.

At this point, I think Tippett/Playfair have Russell materially ahead of Jones and he’ll get rope. That could change with a tough game but, right now, Tippett hasn’t even given Jones a shot on the pairing.

Hype aside, I still believe Broberg is 10D right now and only playing if injuries really pile up – in particular on his off-side – yes, I know he’s been playing the right side quite a bit but I can’t imagine him playing 3RD over any of Benning, Bouchard, Russell, Jones at this point.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

John Chambers:
    I think the Centres 3 model should be considered for next season.

The Oilers are struggling at this very moment to find a 2LW that works and that’s with Nuge as 1LW.

If Nuge is placed back at 3C then the team is short 2 top six wingers (maybe even 3 depending on one’s thoughts on Kassian).

AA, Ennis, etc. are nice plug and play players but, for now, neither has solidified a top 6 LW spot. AA should get there but has struggled to do so to this point as an Oiler.

Also, Nuge is finding comfort at LW, do we really want to flip him back again in his contract year. I mean, I think the player wants to re-sign in Edmonton as is willing but some semblance of consistency would be nice for him.

34. Durag says:

Wow, back-to-back expansion teams with cool jerseys? This isn’t the NHL I grew up with.

When I was a kid we walked uphill to school both ways and our expansion team jerseys were teal monstrosities with cartoon ducks

35. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

€√¥£€^$: I have envisioned an AA – JP pairing since the acquisition, the C would have to be a very good 2-Way guy.

How does this 3rd line look:

Athanasiou – Brandon Sutter – Jesse

In keeping with today’s theme:
    AA-RNH-JP
    ?

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

1) Kailer
    2) Chiasson
    3) Kassian
    4) AA
    5) Ennis
    6) Nygard
    7) Neal
    8) Pool (if he came back)
    9) Off-season RFA
    10) Off-season trade
    11) One of the AHL’ers

– All of 1-11 would have track records of scoring well when paired with good C’s for 6 spots.Do it

The problem is that winger list:

1) Kailer – legit top 6 winger, check mark
    2) Chiasson – 4th line scoring rates at 5 on 5 – even with plenty of McDavid/Drai time
    3) Kassian – an OK top 6 fill-in but likely better suited to the middle 6 or 3rd line
    4) AA – here is hoping but, to this point, he’s struggled to fit in in the Oilers top 6
    5) Ennis – not on the team next year and a marginal fill-in
    6) Nygard – barely proven as an NHL player – has had some success with McDavid in a small sample
    7) Neal – 4th line scoring rates at 5 on 5 – even with plenty of McDavid/Drai time
    8) Pool (if he came back) – a solid 3rd line and maybe top 6 guy but not reasonable to think he’ll play for the Oilers
    9) Off-season RFA – with what money?
    10) Off-season trade – with what money (unless cap is going out)
    11) One of the AHL’ers – I could see Benson fitting in with skill

37. Harpers Hair says:

In other news….

The Babylon Bee (@TheBabylonBee) Tweeted:
    Cracker Jack Changes Name To More Politically Correct Caucasian Jack https://t.co/3bXrh42YNa

38. OriginalPouzar says:

I believe DeHann and Murphy have both re-joined the Hawks.

No Crawford, yet again:

Scott Powers
    @ByScottPowers
    1h
    Delia and Lankinen are currently practicing with the main group. Subban and Tomkins are with the second group on the other ice sheet.

39. defmn says:

Harpers Hair:
    In other news….

The Babylon Bee (@TheBabylonBee) Tweeted:

In my experience humour is lost on the mirthless.

40. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

OriginalPouzar: The problem is that winger list:

1) Kailer – legit top 6 winger, check mark
    5) Ennis – not on the team next year and a marginal fill-in
    9) Off-season RFA – with what money?
    10) Off-season trade – with what money (unless cap is going out)
    11) One of the AHL’ers – I could see Benson fitting in with skill

– The fallacy with this type of analysis, is taking old data, and projecting it onto new set of circumstances.

– Just as last year, based on the analysis, and flawed use of numbers, and expert opinion of many, Koski was deemed one of the worst goalies in the NHL going forward. But with a new set of circumstances, and clues from his past, he excelled

– I think there are enough clues, to find ways for the list above to work on a 3C set-up

– Trades are going to happen, players will be moved. While there isn’t money based on the past situation snapshot, things will change and there will be changes and UFA and trades to bring in more wingers. Dismissing RFAs and trades based on a current view of roster isn’t forward thinking

– Anyway it’s just a thoery I have about the 3 Cs. I’d love to see it happen. Takes some courage though, and 20 games injury free to allow the linemates to gel….

– The dynamics of three lines though, and who the opposition puts out vs them: that’s the opportunity

41. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

Elgin R:
    Draft speed, speed, speed.If a player cannot keep up, the impact of other skills is lessened.

#1 Brains/Hockey IQ (position, play-reading/making, read & react, etc)
    #2 Standout offensive skill (shot, hands, passing, net front, net drive)
    #t3 Attitude that manifests in play style (do they attack the hard areas naturally)
    #t3 Strong skating in at least 2 dimensions (top speed, acceleration, agility, balance, etc)

42. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Its funny that Smith let in 7 goals, yet he couldn’t be blamed on any of them so goes the narrative.

– Imagine if Koski did that: there would be blood on the streets, and his chance of getting a game in the playoffs would be minimal.

– As it is, the consensus is Smith is the starter for playoffs, and he can’t be faulted for those 7 goals. Smith will also get more leeway in playoffs, and be allowed more rope. ONe bad game from Koski, he’s done this playoffs if he gets a chance

43. Dee Dee says:

Pulled out Microsoft Paint and mirrored the Kraken’s logo:

44. PokeCheck says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

That narrative’s wrong. Bear’s goal and Neal’s (I think) one-handed backhand shovel towards the net were both bad goals. But don’t take my word for it, highlights from the scrimmage are available below:

45. leadfarmer says:

Congrats to Seattle
    Great city
    Great sports city

It’s good to see the NHL knock it out of the park with back to back good expansion choices

46. defmn says:

Dee Dee:
    Pulled out Microsoft Paint and mirrored the Kraken’s logo:

I like that better than the original.

47. dustrock says:

Durag:

You take that back about the San Jose Sharks. Been one of my NHL favourites since Day 1.

48. Oiler_Kiwi97 says:

Sorry but imo that logo for Seattle is pretty darn boring compared to what it could have been.

49. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:

HOWEVER: Chemistry is a thing.

Haven’t we.seen the Nuge isn’t a “driver” with lesser talented wingers….. with the Nygard’s and Chiasson’s of the world?

50. Munny says:

defmn: I like that better than the original.

me too

51. defmn says:

52. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar: The problem is that winger list:

1) Kailer – legit top 6 winger, check mark
    5) Ennis – not on the team next year and a marginal fill-in
    9) Off-season RFA – with what money?
    10) Off-season trade – with what money (unless cap is going out)
    11) One of the AHL’ers – I could see Benson fitting in with skill

53. Durag says:

dustrock: You take that back about the San Jose Sharks.Been one of my NHL favourites since Day 1.

Never, I will curse the 90s proliferation of teal and purple sports jerseys to the end of my days. The Vancouver Grizzlies deserved to die

54. Munny says:

Harpers Hair:
    It’s Kraken…best logo in hockey.

Harpers Hair:
    Brennan Klak (@nhlupdate) Tweeted:
    The new jerseys for the Seattle Kraken:

#NHLSeattle https://t.co/K5KcXkcBzX

And the Canucks, after four iterations (or is it now five?), is still looking for their first cool logo and jersey.

55. John Chambers says:

defmn:

Three scoring lines is a valid concept.

Phil Kessel was a ppg player on a line with Nick Bonino as his centre.

Nuge would play 1st powerplay, and play 5×5 on a line with, say, Benson and Yamamoto.

56. OriginalPouzar says:

Jack and Bob will do the PBP/Color for the scrimmage on Saturday at 1.

Given all players will be wearing number 12, some PBP will be helpful.

57. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

John Chambers,

If Yamo and Benson are playing with Nuge, who populates the top-6 to make those into scoring lines? Most versions of 3 scoring lines don’t feature a Kessel-level talent on their 3rd line, anyhow. Find out what linemates AA performed best with in Detroit and try to replicate that on a 3rd line here with facsimiles of the types of players he played with (Frans Nielsen iirc?). That’s more than enough for a 3rd scoring line and still allows the team to roll out two very strong lines ahead of it.

58. Todd Macallan says:

Overall digging the Kraken jersey but was hoping for a colour scheme closer to the Seahawks with the lime green.

59. Ribs says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

– Imagine if Koski did that:there would be blood on the streets, and his chance of getting a game in the playoffs would be minimal.

– As it is, the consensus is Smith is the starter for playoffs, and he can’t be faulted for those 7 goals.Smith will also get more leeway in playoffs, and be allowed more rope.ONe bad game from Koski, he’s done this playoffs if he gets a chance

Something to keep in mind… Smith playoffs SV% .938, Koskinen playoffs SV% ………

Rope is earned.

60. defmn says:

Munny:

61. defmn says:

John Chambers: Three scoring lines is a valid concept.

Phil Kessel was a ppg player on a line with Nick Bonino as his centre.

I don’t think you can sell that to Nuge. 1st overall to 1st line centre to 2nd line centre to 3rd line centre in his UFA year.

I used to be able to talk pretty fast when that is what I did for a living and I am pretty sure I can’t talk that fast.

62. Ribs says:

defmn:

MacTavish hired as Skype meeting consultant? Sounds like something that would be in his wheelhouse.

63. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I believe DeHann and Murphy have both re-joined the Hawks.

No Crawford, yet again:

Scott Powers
    @ByScottPowers
    1h

Toews returning to practice today is probably the biggest news.

64. Reja says:

defmn: Am I still allowed to say that I think the Blackhawks’ logo is the coolest one in hockey?

I thought the Kansas City Scouts had a neat looking jersey.

65. OriginalPouzar says:

Nurse got tangled up in practice today and left the ice in “some discomfort” – apparently he returned relatively shortly. This after Kassian blasted McDavid with a dump-in during scrimmage yesterday (McDavid went off in pain but returned).

Seemingly no worse for wear but important players are starting to get nicked.

One scrimmage (Sunday) and one exhibition game (Tuesday) to get through injury free – please.

66. defmn says:

Reja: I thought the Kansas City Scouts had a neat looking jersey.

Stan Mikita was my hockey hero as a kid so I admit I am biased.

OriginalPouzar:
    Jack and Bob will do the PBP/Color for the scrimmage on Saturday at 1.

Given all players will be wearing number 12, some PBP will be helpful.

The broadcast position is much closer to the ice in the DCA. It shouldn’t be difficult.

68. OriginalPouzar says:

Looks like it was his knee area that he tweaked- hopefully it’s a non-issue:

Also the most politically incorrect.

70. defmn says:

godot10: Also the most politically incorrect.

Yeah, I always took the logo as a sign of respect for the original inhabitants of that neck of the woods.

But with close to 40 years study of political philosophy I am pretty confident in my understanding of the value of political correctness. 😉

71. OriginalPouzar says:

As per Rishaug, Neal taking most of the reps on PP1 today and PP2 consisted of Yamamoto Ennis, Athanasiou, Nurse and Bear which, I believe, is the same as we’ve seen previously in camp.

72. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:

Indoor vs. outdoor is a not insignificant difference.

I’m concerned about the next season but hopefully there will be some solid intel and lessons learned from the European leagues.

73. OriginalPouzar says:

How does this 3rd line look:

Athanasiou – Brandon Sutter – Jesse

If Holland could turn Russell in to Brandon Sutter for one year, that would be fantastic.

If Jesse signs his QO and comes back and competes for a middle 6 RW spot, that would be fantastic.

74. OriginalPouzar says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: In keeping with today’s theme:
    AA-RNH-JP
    ?

but now we need to acquire a LW to replace Nuge in the top 6….

75. defmn says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual: Disagree on the hard-focus on speed. Hockey IQ, some standout offensive skill and a hardened approach to the game are all either higher or just as high on my list of traits to look for in my assessment.

#1 Brains/Hockey IQ (position, play-reading/making, read & react, etc)
    #2 Standout offensive skill (shot, hands, passing, net front, net drive)

76. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:
    The problem is that winger list:
    1) Kailer – legit top 6 winger, check mark
    5) Ennis – not on the team next year and a marginal fill-in
    9) Off-season RFA – with what money?
    10) Off-season trade – with what money (unless cap is going out)
    11) One of the AHL’ers – I could see Benson fitting in with skill

I don’t expect we’ll see Tippett go to the 3C model.

But FWIW, Neal-Nuge-Chiasson have been excellent together in 120+ minutes.

64SF-47SA – 57.7%
    5GF-4GA – 55.6%
    61.8% xGF
    73.7% HD scoring chances

And top 6 forwards in the NHL generally score >0.5 points per game (the top 6 cutoff this season was 0.47).

Yamamoto, Kassian, AA and Ennis are all better than 0.5 points/game scorers in their last 82 NHL games. Some of them may be struggling to fit in but they’re all quality hockey players who are objectively top 6 scorers.

77. who says:

OriginalPouzar: The problem is that winger list:

1) Kailer – legit top 6 winger, check mark
    5) Ennis – not on the team next year and a marginal fill-in
    9) Off-season RFA – with what money?
    10) Off-season trade – with what money (unless cap is going out)
    11) One of the AHL’ers – I could see Benson fitting in with skill

78. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Oiler_Kiwi97:

– That Logo cost at least a million…

79. defmn says:

dustrock:

We’ll see where we are in November/December when things get serious but I can see a situation in which only season ticket holders can attend any game.

Sent out with the season’s tickets would be face shields with Oiler logo bands holding them on the head and one set of gloves per game also with Oilers logos. Entry into the arena would require both to be worn. Concessions might have to be closed with an alternative delivery system for food or drink to people in the stands.

Maybe they sell only to half capacity.

Pretty sure similar ideas are being flouted in league headquarters.

80. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Dee Dee:
    Pulled out Microsoft Paint and mirrored the Kraken’s logo:

Looks cool, but reminds me more of Snake Jafar from Aladdin.

81. OriginalPouzar says:

Nugent Bowman asked Tip about Jones and working his way on to that 3rd pair – Tip said that he’s coming along but still has a ways to go – when he tested positive, he was off completely for a couple of weeks so he’s still working his way back.

I can’t imagine we see Jones over Russell in game 1 at this point but I do think Caleb will be needed and his name will be called at some point.

82. Hockey Project says:

Does this make Seattle fans Krakheads?

Anyway. During these many years of the Oilers struggling, my wife once asked me if I would ever consider switching allegiance over to a Seattle team, should they ever expand there, since we live in Victoria and could never cheer for the Canucks.

Never. Being an Oilers fan is coded into my DNA.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

As per Rishaug the “drive-in/beer gardens” idea is being scrapped.

84. jp says:

defmn: Am I the only one wondering who gets to tell Nuge in his UFA season that he is now a 3rd line centre?

It’s possible it would be tough to sell.

But he remains on PP1, as noted. And FWIW his most common linemates after Draisaitl/Yamamoto this year were Neal, Chiasson, Khaira, Kassian.

Last year all his linemates >150 minutes were McDavid, Chiasson, Puljujarvi, Lucic, Kassian, Khaira.

He was playing with Neal/Chiasson/Ennis/AA quality wingers more often than not up until January 2020 so I’m not sure going back to that (assuming there’s team success) would be a deal breaker.

85. OriginalPouzar says:

As an aside, the bottom two pairs at practice today were:

Lagesson/Jones
    Broberg/Bouchard

I think that is the order of 4th and 5th pairs – I can’t imagine Broberg actually dumping ahead of either Lagesson or Jones in the mind of Tippett and Playfair.

86. Oiler_Kiwi97 says:

Munny,

jp: It’s possible it would be tough to sell.

Kinger_Oil.redux: – That Logo cost at least a million…

Money wasted then

87. OilClog says:

Whatever line Nuge is running LW on seems to be line 1, Nuge in the 3C spot is a waste of his talent and everyone’s time.

Also why hasn’t Bingus Rogbellylite’s coach proclaimed to the media that he can play any position but goalie? It’s because in one tweet the Canucks became the step child of the north pacific teams lol.

88. defmn says:

Hockey Project:
    Does this make Seattle fans Krakheads?

Never. Being an Oilers fan is coded into my DNA.

When my wife asked me the same thing I told her that while you may marry 3 or 4 times over your life you only get one shot at picking a sports franchise.

The subject never came up again.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn:

I did mention this morning about “flipping Nuge” back to center after he gets comfortable at wing – in his UFA year.

Frankly, I think he should be fine with a 3C role (if he has decent wingers) as he’s PP1 and PK2 – tons of important ice. My issue is really the back and forth is likely getting to him (he has asked for consistency in linemates) and one last flip may be egregious.

90. defmn says:

jp: It’s possible it would be tough to sell.

You can explain it any way you like and make it make sense but imo all Nuge will hear is 3rd line centre. If I was him I would tell my agent to start taking calls to see what is out there.

91. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: Can’t see Holland paying his 3rd line Centre 6 plus not enough minutes. AA strikes me as a player that would thrive with 2 plain jane D competent linemates on the 3rd line this will allow him to cheat at times and he can utilize that burner speed.

I’m not concerned about the cap hit of any individual player in any individual position – if 3C is the best place for Nuge to help the team win, so be it. If there was a nother LW for the top 6, it might be, but, at his point, there isn’t.

His ice time would be just fine playing on both special teams.

92. DieHard says:

OriginalPouzar,

If we could sign Nuge to a 6 or 7 year extension with higher salary early and slowly moving down. Say 5.5M AAV. Nuge would stay a 1L/2L for a few more years (Nurture in-house top 6 wingers) then BANG Our infamous 3C.

93. McNuge93 says:

OriginalPouzar,

It was such a short time ago we were complaining we had only 1 legit top six winger (being Nuge or Drai depending on which of those two played centre). So I dont think the problem is suddenly solved. yes, Yam makes a second legit top six wing but Kass and AA are still questionable if they are the right fit. I would keep Nuge on the wing. Frankly I think he is happy in that role with lots of ice time and the increased personal scoring stats.

94. leadfarmer says:

Only reason for Nuge to play 3c is when he’s helping Lafernierre break into the league

95. OriginalPouzar says:

John Chambers: Three scoring lines is a valid concept.

Phil Kessel was a ppg player on a line with Nick Bonino as his centre.

You’ve moved two existing top six wingers to the 3rd line (Yamamoto and Nuge) – who are the top six wingers? Kassian (who is a stretch in that role) and ????

96. OriginalPouzar says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual:
    John Chambers,

In his 30 goal season, AA played apx 300 minutes with each of Glendening and Nielson and apx 200 minutes with each of Vanek, Helm and Bertuzzi.

I guess Holland needs to acquire Glandenning.

97. OriginalPouzar says:

Ribs: Something to keep in mind… Smith playoffs SV% .938, Koskinen playoffs SV% ………

Rope is earned.

98. pts2pndr says:

John Chambers:
    I think the Centres 3 model should be considered for next season.

On their best day none of the three you mention for left wing can replace Nuge. The value of Nuge on the wing and able to fill in one of the top two Center positions is invaluable. With less ice time as a third line center his skills would be wasted. Don’t tie a race horse to a wagon!

99. OriginalPouzar says:

Wings are in talks to loan Valeno and Zadina to HC Ocelari Trinec of the Czech league.

Valeno being part of that (if it happens) gives me some hope that there may be a market in Europe for a guy like Benson and maybe even Lavoie – if they want to go down that route.

100. pts2pndr says:

How does this 3rd line look:

Athanasiou – Brandon Sutter – Jesse

Very good if Sutter was 3 years younger and not injury prone.

101. pts2pndr says:

#1 Brains/Hockey IQ (position, play-reading/making, read & react, etc)
    #2 Standout offensive skill (shot, hands, passing, net front, net drive)

102. pts2pndr says:

Munny:

Not to mention Stanley Cup!😇

103. VanIsleOil says:

Hockey Project:
    Does this make Seattle fans Krakheads?

Never. Being an Oilers fan is coded into my DNA.

Same here, been on the Island for 25 years and ALWAYS will cheer for the Oilers. Now I have a second favorite team with the Kraken. Tried to like the Canucks for a while, but just couldn’t do it.

104. leadfarmer says:

Rope is earned.

The Smith that had those numbers was not 38 years old

105. Harpers Hair says:

defmn: 3rd line centre with PP1 is quite a bit different to a hockey guy than top six centre with PP1. Neal is going to get PP1 time but I don’t think Nuge sees himself in the same light as Neal at this point in his career.

106. Ribs says:

OriginalPouzar: Koskinen has sparkling numbers over 5 playoff seasons in the KHL – including two championships.

You’re right, the KHL is not the NHL. 😉

107. defmn says:

pts2pndr: Without the skating the rest have little value. knowing where to be but unable to get there in time but one example. To play NHL hockey, NHL skating is a prerequisite!

Nobody said you don’t have to be able to skate but it is not the only thing.

McLeod can apparently skate like the wind but the discussion about his ceiling is 3rd or 4th line.

What you can do with the puck on your stick still counts for lots.

108. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn: I agree with this. Skating is important but hockey isn’t speed skating – there are other things that make players effective.

Agreed which is why, in my opinion, Benson still has a high chance of being an NHL player and a reasonable chance of some top 6 years.

The difference right between him and Marody, that I can see, is, while they both are “average skaters” with high skill and hockey IQ, Marody doesn’t seem to have quite the work ethic that Benson does.

I will caveat the above that its just my take on reading, watching and listening over the last few years – Marody’s “refusal” to work on his skating last off-season saying “its never held me back before” was quite telling to me.

109. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

NHL skating wasn’t the basis of the discussion. The original point I responded to was that “speed speed speed” should be top priority. Plenty of players find success without elite skating and plenty of players with elite skating fail to translate their success to the pros. As such, a reasonable drafting philosophy should reflect that- hence why I prioritize the mental faculties of the game and some kind of elite skill (like Eberle’s hands).

110. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: I don’t expect we’ll see Tippett go to the 3C model.

But FWIW, Neal-Nuge-Chiasson have been excellent together in 120+ minutes.

64SF-47SA – 57.7%
    5GF-4GA – 55.6%
    61.8% xGF
    73.7% HD scoring chances

Interesting on Nuge between Chiasson and Neal – thank you.

Maybe Nuge can play 4C between those two and Khaira can move up to 1LW………

111. OriginalPouzar says:

who: Or………there is no problem with that winger list, and your evaluation of these players is wrong. Or biased. Or both.

112. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: I hear the Kraken will have a lot of cap space and will be looking for a captain.

I’d have my agent on speed dial telling him to start looking around.

Sometimes I think people focus exclusively on what might be good for the team and forget that the players get a say in these things too. There is a reputation thing about being in the top 6 on a team that I think is being missed in this discussion.

It might or might not be rational but it exists nonetheless imo.

113. Material Elvis says:

Harpers Hair:
    It’s Kraken…best logo in hockey.

Good luck Seattle Karens! If you don’t succeed, just take it up with the manager.

114. Ribs says:

leadfarmer: The Smith that had those numbers was not 38 years old

I honestly don’t know who I’d start if it was up to me!

115. OriginalPouzar says:

DieHard:
    OriginalPouzar,

I think players may be looking to back-load multi-year deals over the next bit – escrow is high and will decrease.

Nuge’s next contract will miss the 20% escrow for next season (and 10% deferral) but the season after is set to be between 14-18%.

I anticipate guys like Hall and Pietrangelo will have minimal salaries for 2020/21

116. OriginalPouzar says:

McNuge93:
    OriginalPouzar,

It was such a short time ago we were complaining we had only 1 legit top six winger (being Nuge or Drai depending on which of those two played centre). So I dont think the problem is suddenly solved. yes, Yam makes a second legit top six wing but Kassand AA are still questionable if they are the right fit. I would keep Nuge on the wing. Frankly I think he is happy in that role with lots of ice time and the increased personal scoring stats.

You responded to me but we are on the same page.

117. OriginalPouzar says:

pts2pndr: Very good if Sutter was 3 years younger and not injury prone.

Its a one year stop gap to fill the 3C hole basically for free (i.e. his cap hit replaces Kris Russell’s cap hit and Russell is replaced by Lagesson/Jones).

118. OriginalPouzar says:

Patrick Maroon was able to get there at the right time – he wasn’t a burner.

119. OriginalPouzar says:

Ribs: You’re right, the KHL is not the NHL.

Nope, its not but, at the same time, Koskinen is the better goalie (was this year), the younger goalie, signed for term and has a history of performing in the playoffs in the 2nd best league in the world.

With one scrimmage and one exhibition game left to go, given the 7GA on Smith last night, I would hope/think that Mikko has the inside track on being in net August 1.

I’m sure Mike Smith will start.

120. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn: Nobody said you don’t have to be able to skate but it is not the only thing.

What you can do with the puck on your stick still counts for lots.

and getting there are “the right time” is more important than getting there faster in any event.

Still got to be able to get there at the right time, of course, and I don’t think Benson’s skating is preventative of that.

121. pts2pndr says:

Rope is earned.

122. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: Patrick Maroon was able to get there at the right time – he wasn’t a burner.

123. OriginalPouzar says:

Listening to the Laz and Powers podcast re: Crawford. They spoke about Keith’s comments that Crawford is a guy that they could just drop in with little prep and he’ll be good – the guys discounted that completely, speaking about how historically Crawford has needed time. He was only on the ice one time in June – the only time since March. Seems far-fetched that he’ll be able to play.

124. leadfarmer says:

Ribs: Smith has proven this season that he is as capable as Koskinen at winning games. The rope may give him the edge in a veteran coaches eyes.

I honestly don’t know who I’d start if it was up to me!

You got to go with Koskinen
    While Smith is more likely to win you a series he’s far more likely to lose you a series

Do you go with the 917 sp goalie or the 902?
    Do you go with the guy you have signed for 3 more years or the guy who is pretty much done?
    Not a very tough question

125. Harpers Hair says:

defmn: Yup. Nuge may be tired of losing and not want to take a chance on a brand new franchise if the OIlers treat him with respect but if I am him and my coach tells me I am now the 3rd line centre I wouldn’t still be listening by the time he got around to explaining about PP1 and the PK filling up my 20 minutes.

I’d have my agent on speed dial telling him to start looking around.

It might or might not be rational but it exists nonetheless imo.

Seattle could keep a close eye on the cap hits of players they select in the expansion draft and then use that cap space to pluck the best UFAs.

The teams owners are a group of entertainment billionaires and you can bet they will go after some marquee names to market the team.

And I think Ron Francis is smart enough not to buy any boat anchors and, of course, they already have a cutting edge analytics department crunching the numbers.

On a side note, I’d bet calamari will be a big feature of the concession stands.🤗

126. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: You got to go with Koskinen

Do you go with the 917 sp goalie or the 902?
    Not a very tough question

I partially agree as I think the Koskinen also has the ability to “win you the series” – he’s shown to be able to get just as hot as Smith for stretches of time (and has started each of the last two seasons hot).

I do agree that Smith is more likely to “lose you the series” – not that Mikko doesn’t have the ability to throw out a couple of stinkers, of course.

The thing is, the Oilers should need their goalie to win them the series – steady/solid tending should be enough. They cannot have a goalie lose them the series, of course.

Mikko is “safer” and I’m any potential higher ceiling Smith has than Mikko (if at all) isn’t worth the risk, in my opinion.

127. who says:

OriginalPouzar: Feel free to revise your response to provide some substance as oppossed to simply a passive aggressive “your wrong” based mostly off personal issues.

And while you’re at it, feel free to admit it’s probably at least a year too early to make any decisions on Nuge as 3C.

128. OriginalPouzar says:

$4.15M X 4 for Scott Darling hurt the Canes markedly.

129. OriginalPouzar says:

who: Feel free to admit you could be wrong in your evaluation of any of the players on that list.

Of course I could be wrong – of course, there was no substance pointing out a differing position on anything I posted – just passive aggressive attack based on personal issues.

I can’t admit to the 2nd part – I’m not one that’s looking to move him to 3C at this point as the team doesn’t seem to have the personell to allow for it, however, if AA ends up gelling with Connor and Drai and then Benson takes a step and starts producing with the other, for example, it could explored.

130. pts2pndr says:

What you can do with the puck on your stick still counts for lots.

What you say is completely valid. The reason McLeod will have an NHL career is his skating because you can teach defence and defensive position. If his offence improves he could move up to top six forward.

131. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair: I think it’s fair to assume Seattle will be competitive right out of the box and given how many teams have serious cap issues, they should be able to capitalize big time.

132. defmn says:

What we probably agree on is that making Nuge think his contributions are not appreciated is a recipe for him not having to think too hard about moving on.

133. Reja says:

leadfarmer: You got to go with Koskinen

Do you go with the 917 sp goalie or the 902?
    Not a very tough question

Kosh has 2 years left on his contract after the playoffs.

134. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: Interesting on Nuge between Chiasson and Neal – thank you.

Maybe Nuge can play 4C between those two and Khaira can move up to 1LW………

lol.

Yeah, having the 3rd line run at 55% GF instead of 31% would be a terrible thing to try for.

And why again are you ignoring the other two top 6 LW on the roster? Who haven’t found their place in the lineup after 9 games..

135. Harpers Hair says:

pts2pndr: Are you worried about your Canucks. Now that Seattle will have a valid NHL team and Vancouver residents have no problem going to watch the Seahawks who will they back? Puts some pressure on the great Canucks. Here’s hoping Rafferty is able to save the franchise!

I think it’s fantastic that the Canucks will finally have a geographic rival.

Not only will this increase interest in both teams but will help out the Canucks by reducing their worst in NHL travel schedule.

Just listened to an interview with Craig Button in which he offered his take on which Canadian team is most likely to win the Stanley Cup.

You should track down the interview.

136. flea says:

And this is complete conjecture but I feel like the team plays differently in front of Smith. His playmaking is a bit of an Xfactor, and I think he brings leadership to the ice.

I’d guess it’s Smith starting game 1 with the hope he looks at this as his final chance to win Stanley.

137. Harpers Hair says:

defmn: Can’t disagree but it is an unknown and the Oilers have one more year to make their case with Nuge that they are sorry about wasting the first 7 years of his career.

9 years.

How time flies.

138. jp says:

You could be correct but I’m not sure it’s cut and dried.

As I said from the outset, I don’t think Tippett will try it for an extended period (though thinking about it more I do wonder whether we see 3 centers at some point if the Oilers go on a decent playoff run. A situational/matchup move if the Sheahan line is having a difficult time treading water…)

139. OriginalPouzar says:

I have full confidence in Dave Tippett to deploy Nuge in his lineup in a manner he thinks best helps the team win without having Nuge think he’s under-appreciated.

140. OriginalPouzar says:

I remember when the canucks organization wasted 17 years of D. Sedin’s career and 17 years of H. Sedin’s career – 34 years, 0 cups.

The Saturday intrasquad game should be called “Being Colby Cave”! -).

Cave shoots. Cave saves. A goal to Cave, from Cave and Cave. Cave going wide on Cave. Drop pass to Cave. Cave slams Cave into the boards.

142. jp says:

143. Side says:

OriginalPouzar:

And they both took pay cuts to walk away with 0 cups, too.

144. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

I’d have my agent on speed dial telling him to start looking around.

It might or might not be rational but it exists nonetheless imo.

– I agree with this. Its true, but your missing the really driver, which I will get to

– Nuge since day 1 has been a golden boy: played always with the best players: from Hall to Ebs to Drai and McD

– My favourite RNH though was when he was centering for a brief time Jar and Pool

– He’s one of the few that crticized Coach about line-up shuffles, and not consistent linemates

– So RNH doens’t want to play 3C, becasue 3C’s dont’ get paid. As a result of RNH’s skill and results with always best linemates, he will command a lot of money in his next contract.

– He’s not going to accept less than elite money. Put him with good players and he delivers

– But untill he signs that contract with the Oil, he’s not going to accept playing 3C: It’s not reputation, or pride, it’s money.

– IKessel is happy lighting it up on 3rd line, becasue he’s betting paid 1st line $

145. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

DieHard:
    OriginalPouzar,

Nice

146. Victoria Oil says:

Hockey Project:
    Does this make Seattle fans Krakheads?

Never. Being an Oilers fan is coded into my DNA.

I live in Oak Bay which is as physically close as you can get to Seattle and still live in Canada.

I will go to some games in Seattle but will never, ever cheer for them over the Oilers. I would like to see them kick Calgary”s butt, however.

147. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar:

I remember when the Oilers had FOUR first overall picks and pissed them away.

148. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: Now I’ve got to ask. Do you think Maroon was a better McDavid winger than Kassian is? If so, why?

I’ve never thought about that direct comparison to tell you the truth.

I think that, when Kassian is on and rolling, he is full value on that first line, he is strong, makes good plays and adds to the line (as oppossed to just riding coattails). He has shown to be quite inconsistent though and, when he isn’t on, he is poor defensively and makes mistakes that can lead to goals against.

It’s tough to argue with 27 goals in a season.

My only point was that straight out speed is often not as important as smart speed – first to arrive isn’t necessarily the best play. Maroon had a knack for getting to the scoring area at the right time.

149. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: I remember when the Oilers had FOUR first overall picks and pissed them away.

The Canucks really are the Minnesota Vikings of the NHL
    Just try so damned hard to be relevant
    At least they have someone they can play with soon

150. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

jp: lol.

Encouraging numbers came out of that deployment, but I have a hard time imagining them continuing to receive such favourable deployment if there are two lines ahead of them that are capable of scoring rather than the one from the sample.

151. €√¥£€^$ says:

We all remember the 1st Overall Picks.

2 are still there.

1 was a consensus #1 Overall, but did not show himself to be an NHL player on 3 different teams. It was a weak draft and as much as the Oilers had a big hand in the failure of the player, the player also had many warts that he could not overcome. Very few teams would have been a good landing spot for him.

Taylor Hall was undervalued by his new GM and the trade was not a good one.

The Oilers did not “piss away” 4 first overall picks.

They “pissed away” one.

152. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

€√¥£€^$: We all remember the 1st Overall Picks.

2 are still there.

1 was a consensus #1 Overall, but did not show himself to be an NHL player on 3 different teams.It was a weak draft and as much as the Oilers had a big hand in the failure of the player, the player also had many warts that he could not overcome.Very few teams would have been a good landing spot for him.

Taylor was undervalued by his new GM and the trade was not a good one.

The Oilers did not “piss away” 4 first overall picks.

They “pissed away” one.

– The problem was that Hall and Nuge aren’t in the same calibre as Drai and McD

– We were sold a bag of goods based on the promise that if we surrounded the “core” of Nuge, Hall and Ebs, with good players we’d be great. Those players weren’t the game changers a la Drai and McD, and the management were inept in terms of building a team

– Even perfect management, I never believed we had enough high end talent

– AnYak, by that point, they were in the teaching lessons mode. The management was poor, and they didn’t afford Yak the same nemates as the Steve Austins, and they couldn’t get enough good players. Yak’s best attribute was scoring, but they had enough scoring, he needed to be different

– Yak was a bust, Nuge pretty good, not an “all-star”, and Hall and management didn’t mix

– But that got us to McD. I don’t believe we win a Cup with a “core” of Hall, RNH and Yak: they weren’t collectively good enough, and certainly management had no werewithal to build

153. Harpers Hair says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – The problem was that Hall and Nuge aren’t in the same calibre as Drai and McD

– We were sold a bag of goods based on the promise that if we surrounded the “core” of Nuge, Hall and Ebs, with good players we’d be great.Those players weren’t the game changers a la Drai and McD, and the management were inept in terms of building a team

– Even perfect management, I never believed we had enough high end talent

– AnYak, by that point, they were in the teaching lessons mode.The management was poor, and they didn’t afford Yak the same nemates as the Steve Austins, and they couldn’t get enough good players.Yak’s best attribute was scoring, but they had enough scoring, he needed to be different

– But that got us to McD.I don’t believe we win a Cup with a “core” of Hall, RNH and Yak: they weren’t collectively good enough, and certainly management had no werewithal to build

They lack a #1D a #2D, a reliable top six scoring winger, a #3C and the bottom six forwards get creamed whenever they’re on the ice.

Almost impossible to be so bad after picking so high for multiple years in a row.

154. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: I’ve never thought about that direct comparison to tell you the truth.

It’s tough to argue with 27 goals in a season.

My only point was that straight out speed is often not as important as smart speed – first to arrive isn’t necessarily the best play.Maroon had a knack for getting to the scoring area at the right time.

Fair enough.

155. SVR says:

Harpers Hair: I think it’s fantastic that the Canucks will finally have a geographic rival.

You should track down the interview.

156. Harpers Hair says:

SVR: What’s the word on reorganization of divisions? Do the Kraken join the pacific then and if so does Vegas go to the Central.

Arizona is moving to the Central Division.

157. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: And, if you believe those you put their money down, the Oilers core of McDavid and Draisaitl is far enough from a cup to make your eyes bleed.

You might want to start reading some of the stuff you post
    They are 2:1 favorites over the Canucks with their greatest player ever Brogan Rafferty

158. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: 9 years.

How time flies.

7 years wasted. Two in the playoffs.

159. Munny says:

Hockey Project: Does this make Seattle fans Krakheads?

motion seconded and… carried

160. jp says:

So those that put their money down say the Oilers are the best Canadian team. And the Oilers Cup odds are exactly in line with their regular season finish?

And the Canucks are…. Ah, in group of teams that wouldn’t have made the playoffs in a normal year. How is that $25M bottom 6 working out?

161. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: You might want to start reading some of the stuff you post

You might want to start looking at how long teams have been rebuilding.

The Oilers rebuild started in 2010 when Taylor Hall was drafted.

The Canucks rebuild started eight years later when the Sedins retired.

The Canucks have already caught up despite not having four first overall picks.

162. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: I know the KHL is not the NHL but Mikko has shown that he won’t crater under “playoff pressure”.

No it isn’t… and that includes “playoff pressure”. So we don’t know.

I’d tell both goalies they’re going to split the first two games in the opening series… Smith Gm 1 and Koski Gm 2, and that “we will go from there.”

163. defmn says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – I agree with this.Its true, but your missing the really driver, which I will get to

– So RNH doens’t want to play 3C, becasue 3C’s dont’ get paid.As a result of RNH’s skill and results with always best linemates, he will command a lot of money in his next contract.

Kessel is 32 and his career is winding down. I think that makes a difference.

164. Munny says:

pts2pndr: Right and when was this and how old was Smith?

Well a big effort from him came just one year ago.

165. Munny says:

flea: Tipp has done a great job all year reading what goalie should start – I trust him.

me too. Won’t be upset either way.

166. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny: No it isn’t… and that includes “playoff pressure”.So we don’t know.

I hope they don’t split the first two games as that probably means the Oilers have lost game 1.

167. jp says:

Harpers Hair: You might want to start looking at how long teams have been rebuilding.

The Oilers rebuild started in 2010 when Taylor Hall was drafted.

The Canucks rebuild started eight years later when the Sedins retired.

The Canucks have already caught up despite not having four first overall picks.

Have they though? They’re way behind the Oilers in cup odds. Seems more likely they’ve set themselves up for mediocrity again, as they have for the past 50 years.

168. Munny says:

I claimed then that there was no chance for that group of forwards to be successful till the D arrived, and because they were drafting them after the forwards, and because they take longer to develop, that would likely be when the Austins were in their mid to late 20s.

And here we are…

169. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t think that the NHL pressure will get to Mikko anymore than the KHL pressure.

Yes, that’s right, you don’t know.

And no, you’re wrong, if the coach decides to split them before the series starts, it doesn’t mean they lost Gm 1 at all.

170. defmn says:

Munny: The problem is—as I pointed out back in 2010, and 2011, and 2012—is the organization decided to build the forward group first.

And here we are…

Yup. I think there was a group of us that thought that but the Oiler management didn’t bother to consult us.

171. jp says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual: It would be great for the 3rd line to run at 55% GF. However, it’s worth noting that the line you mention was deployed as a 2nd line that saw 63% off. zone starts in it’s 121 minutes together. I don’t know what it’s qual. comp details were, but it’s safe to assume they weren’t taking on the top players given Tippett’s deployment of the McDrai line was often Power V Power.

OK.

First, I’m not trying to claim that Neal-Nuge-Chiasson will continue 55% GF in whatever role/minutes they’re given. Rather that we know Sheahan’s line got fed badly all year long. So attempting to curb that bleeding by using Nuge as 3C makes some sense at the team level.

Second, Sheahan’s line got difficult zone starts but their qual comp was not high (Sheahan was 8th in TOI vs elites of the Oilers 12 most used forwards this year). I don’t know what Neal-Nuge-Chiasson’s qual comp was either, but as the 2nd line I expect their TOI vs elites was higher than Sheahan’s (while their zone starts were clearly easier).

172. Munny says:

jp,

It’s the biggest hole on the team so I can understand the desire to fix it. We’re still a little short on reliable forwards though… it really becomes a game of whack-a-mole.

Also I’m not sure how much trust Tipp has in Neal and Chiasson any more. Or maybe they just have to earn it back. Tipp seems to be the type who is more than willing to shorten his bench, (which is something Sather would start doing in like the first freakin period so I’m okay with it).

And we might see the Sheahan line on the outside instead depending how the two lines perform. I don’t have a lot of faith in that 3rd line either. Tipp will be keeping an eye on which one is going on any given night methinks.

What I’d like to see Tippett do is double-shift Connor and Drai with the wingers on the bottom two lines every second one of their shifts. Give AA 97 and 29 to the two slow boats.

173. pts2pndr says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual: Are Draisaitl’s elite abilities not valuable because his skating isn’t elite and wasn’t elite when he was drafted? How about Kopitar, Bergeron, Eberle, Reilly Smith, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Tierney, Sissons, Pavelski, Gallagher, and the rest of the majority of the league that lacks elite top speed/skating?

174. leadfarmer says:

The Oilers rebuild started in 2010 when Taylor Hall was drafted.

The Canucks rebuild started eight years later when the Sedins retired.

The Canucks have already caught up despite not having four first overall picks.

Yes we can tell they caught up with all those hart and art ross nominees they have right now
    They just let one of the recent better amateur heads go to the Minnesota
    They already mortgage their futures

175. pts2pndr says:

The Oilers rebuild started in 2010 when Taylor Hall was drafted.

The Canucks rebuild started eight years later when the Sedins retired.

The Canucks have already caught up despite not having four first overall picks.

The Canucks have caught up to the Oilers in your dreams only. Taking a long look at the quality of 26 year old and younger D there is no comparison. When you are trying to sell Brrgun Raftree as a bonafide top four D when the Oilers have four top four D with a number of others pushing there is no comparison. You really need to check our your bridge in case some other troll is taking up residence. When you talk forwards no other team has the top two scoring forwards. The Canucks are not even close in quality players except in your fantasy world you need to get real or get gone!

176. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

pts2pndr: Draisaitl’s skating may not be elite but it is way above NHL average bordering on elite.

177. JimmyV1965 says:

pts2pndr: Right and when was this and how old was Smith? What fountain of youth has Smith walked under of late? This is not the Smith of old this is an older Smith. I love the mans compete but just a modicum of reality should be used. I do appreciate your enthusiasm. Let’s go Oilers!

178. JimmyV1965 says:

pts2pndr: So what you are saying if a player can stand on skates he can play effectively with McDavid. Did you ever watch Unger with Anderson and Messier? An outlier is simply that an outlier!

Thing is there’s lots of outliers. Neal was never a great skater, yet he was an impact winger for years. Even Lucic is an example. He was a productive winger until his hands abandoned him. As an Oiler, he was slow, but managed to get to the right spots. He simply didn’t have the hands and skill to make plays.

179. €√¥£€^$ says:

JimmyV1965: I’m not advocating for Smith in the net, but he was the best player in Calgary during last year’s playoffs. That’s about as recent as you can get.

I like Koski as the starter.

He was very consistent towards the end of the season by memory. And I just checked, in his last 5 games played he was 2 – 1 and had a .956 Save Percentage.

Smith went 2 – 2 and had a Save Percentage of ,895.

I like Smith coming off the bench, rather than as a starter.

180. JimmyV1965 says:

It’s almost impossible to respond to garbage like this. Junior high crap.

181. JimmyV1965 says:

€√¥£€^$: I like Koski as the starter.

He was very consistent towards the end of the season by memory.And I just checked, in his last 5 games played he was 2 – 1 and had a .956 Save Percentage.

Smith went 2 – 2 and had a Save Percentage of ,895.

I like Smith coming off the bench, rather than as a starter.

I would start Koskinen as well. Just pushing back against the notion that Smith is too old play well. He was very good in the playoffs last year.

182. Munny says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual: I disagree it’s bordering on elite, at least in so far as acceleration and top speed. However, this doesn’t address the argument as the point is that a drafting philosophy centered around skating wouldn’t have had us drafting Drai because his skating wasn’t great. Similar goes for many of the players succeeding in the NHL now.

He won the fastest skater showdown his first year at the Skills Comp. Albeit no Hall or Connor present but still.

183. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

RESULTS: 2014-15 Oilers Skills Competition
    by Marc Ciampa / Edmonton Oilers
    December 28, 2014

FASTEST SKATER

Team Blue:

Arcobello (14.949)
    Draisaitl (14.537)
    Hall (14.617)

Team White:

Pitlick (14.772)
    Klefbom (14.583)
    Pinizzotto (15.035)

Leon Draisaitl wins the event with a 14.537 time.
    =======================================

The previous year Hallsy won with a 13.9x, to add some context. We know he’s faster but it’s not like Leon is a slow skater. By any stretch. Also, Kelfbom 🙃

184. jp says:

Munny:
    jp,

It’s the biggest hole on the team so I can understand the desire to fix it.We’re still a little short on reliable forwards though… it really becomes a game of whack-a-mole.

Also I’m not sure how much trust Tipp has in Neal and Chiasson any more.Or maybe they just have to earn it back.Tipp seems to be the type who is more than willing to shorten his bench, (which is something Sather would start doing in like the first freakin period so I’m okay with it).

And we might see the Sheahan line on the outside instead depending how the two lines perform.I don’t have a lot of faith in that 3rd line either.Tipp will be keeping an eye on which one is going on any given night methinks.

What I’d like to see Tippett do is double-shift Connor and Drai with the wingers on the bottom two lines every second one of their shifts.Give AA 97 and 29 to the two slow boats.

Yes it is a bit like whack-a-mole, but that’s very often the way.

To be clear again, I’m not advocating for Nuge as 3C permanently. I don’t think it’s the way to the promised land and I’m fairly certain that Tippett doesn’t either.

At the same time I can see the logic to it and 3C/3rd line IS the weakest link on this version of the Oilers. I actually do think we may see Nuge at 3C at times during this playoffs, depending on the opponent. And yes, there will definitely be lots of line juggling and bench shortening as well.

I’ve been pushing back mostly on the idea that the Oilers don’t have the players to give decent wingers
    to all of McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge.

I pointed out earlier that Neal-Nuge-Chiasson had good results together earlier this year (as the Oilers 2nd line) and was met with “sure, play Nuge at 4C and put Khaira with McDavid”. Well Neal-Nuge-Chiasson did have good results as a 2nd line. Chiasson had good on ice results with bottom 6 players this year too. I’m not sure why they couldn’t be a saw-off 3rd line.

And seemingly everyone else here thinks some or all of Kassian, Athanasiou and Ennis aren’t top 6 quality players. I think they’re all at least in range, personally. All of them have actually scored like top 6 players in their recent (>1 year) pasts and their on ice results (with the exception of Athanasiou this season) have been decent/good. The Oilers *could* run 3 lines of wingers and I think there’s a legitimate argument they’d be a better team for it (at least in context of how the current 3rd line has performed).

All of that said, I agree all of this isn’t the optimal every day use of Nuge going forward, and it’s extremely unlikely we see it used for an extended period.

185. Ryan says:

jp,

I wonder if the results with Neal and Chiasson are partly deployment.

To my recollection, Tippett loves those guys for ozone starts. They seem to be fairly effective in that role.

186. ArmchairGM says:

We don’t need to put a top-6 player at 3C, we need a 3C who can take defensive responsibilities away from our top-6. Ideally Nugent-Hopkins and Draisaitl would see their PK minutes reduced as well as their D-zone starts. They are 4th and 5th in both D-zone starts/60 and D-zone faceoffs/60, and 3rd and 5th in PK TOI, among forwards. It’s inefficient to have your best offensive players defending so much.

I wonder what it would take to pry Faksa out of Dallas?

187. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny: Yes, that’s right, you don’t know.

I don’t know – of course – none of us know anything that may or may not happen in the future – doesn’t stop us from talking about it. I base my opinion on factual background – i.e. previous playoff performances in a top league and championships won.

No, I’m not necessarily wrong. He may plan on splitting them but I have full confidence that, even if that is his plan (and I’m not even close to sure it is), a plus performance by the game 1 tender that contributes to the win would earn a game 2 start.

188. jp says:

Ryan:
    jp,

I wonder if the results with Neal and Chiasson are partly deployment.

Yes, I’m sure the nice zone starts they got when together helped their results.

If they were to end up as a line again though it’s very easy to imagine them sharing some but not all of the workload that Sheahan’s line gets now. They wouldn’t just be wholesale taking Sheahan’s zone starts (and they’d presumably be facing easier competition than they were when they played together as the 2nd line).