Unkown Legend

How many players outside the NHL now could help the Oilers next season? I’m not talking about Bouchard or Broberg or Benson, those men are technically in the NHL as we speak. No sir. How many outsiders have the talent to get inside the NHL?

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

JESSE PULJUJARVI

Twitter is fire in regard to the big Finn coming to Edmonton, a reminder that real men calm their ta-ta’s and wait for the official announcement. I see Jesse Puljujarvi as a two-way, top-9 winger who could slide in on a line with a veteran two-way center. He played well with Ryan Strome, that kind of player might be a solid fit. Lucas Wallmark would be my choice, maybe Florida signs Bert Olmstead as general manager and he wants Kris and Patrick Russell. I kid. Anyway, Puljujarvi can help. If he finds his way, perhaps he can emerge as Zack Kassian’s replacement on a skill line. We’ll see. One thing: If he plays on the third line, Oilers must get him an actual two-way center. Maybe there’s a Matti Hagman out there who can provide JP with the same kind of cover Hagman did for Jari Kurri 40 years ago.

Ilya Konovalov is under contract for 2020-21 in the KHL, but he could push for an NHL job now. Seasons of .930 and .912 save percentages in an outstanding league mean this player is already posting totals that serve notice on his possible NHL future.

Anton Slepyshev could help this team, in my opinion. He has speed, size, and enough scoring to be competition for the bottom six wingers (Chiasson, Archibald, Nygard, Benson) next year.

I’m impressed that Ken Holland reached out to Slepyshev, who got a better offer at home. I have no doubt Konovalov will be in his sights if the goalie can deliver a quality season. And, if reports are true, getting this far with Puljujarvi is terrific news.

The job of a general manager is to optimize the roster in any way possible. I gave him a B in the season ending report card. If he gets Puljujarvi under contract at a reasonable rate, his 2020-21 grade could be an A. His pursuit of all available hands has been impressive, and honestly, opposite George to the Oilers own past when they were sending good NHL defensmen to Chocolate City. We shouldn’t forget that about the current admin.

CHICAGO

Lots of online fretting over Chicago’s romp of the St. Louis Blues last night. I have a different opinion on the game. For me, you’d always prefer a tough game against an opponent in order to get ready for the big games. The Flames and Oilers did each other a favor, the lights are on and there’s no dullness remaining. The ‘Hawks had what amounts to another hard practice. There’s a difference. Oilers in four.

UNKNOWN LEGEND

Fernando Pisani scored three points in his final two regular season games of 2005-06. He then proceeded to score five goals in six playoff games against the Detroit Red Wings. He remains an icon in Oilers lore.

Who will be this year’s Pisani? There are several candidates, from Josh Archibald and Joakim Nygard to Andreas Athanasiou to Tyler Ennis. I’m going to select Alex Chiasson, because he’s a veteran and will get power-play chances. You?

117 Responses to "Unkown Legend"

1. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909 2020 Playoff Death March™ FINAL WEEK(Subject to revision)

Enter Now!

It’s free!

It’s easy!

Returning Players: Use your original names for continuity purposes.

2. Brantford Boy says:

I’m going with Neal for the Pisani role… he seems fully healthy, and watching him actually beat a Flames defenseman on the forecheck confirmed the rumours he is quicker. He too is a veteran and had success in the finals before, and in my opinion has a chip on his shoulder to prove his worth.

Chicago shouldn’t (and won’t) be taken lightly… the first 10 minutes of each game will dictate the outcome. Good thing for Oilers fans is McDavid is usually fire in those opening minutes.

Let’s Go Oilers!

3. Brantford Boy says:

hunter1909,

Hey Hunter,

I think your countdown timer is off by a day… might want to fix that…

Cheers!

4. JOFA says:

Can you hear the drums Archieee

5. JOFA says:

Prediction: by game two Nuge will be back with Draisaitl and Yamo

6. hunter1909 says:

Brantford Boy:
    hunter1909,

Hey Hunter,

I think your countdown timer is off by a day… might want to fix that…

Cheers!

Not many are interested in these playoffs until they begin. Strange days, indeed.

7. LadiesloveSmid says:

Being a young guy, I can’t help but be jaded with the Oilers record of success in my lifetime. So diificult to ever be optimistic coming into a series, even if the odds tilt slightly in Edmonton’s favour.

8. dustrock says:

LT, brain says Oilers in 4.

Heart says 5, probably with a Nygard OT winner or something crazy like that.

Gonna be a crazy series.

9. dustrock says:

hunter1909: Thanks but in fact Death March™ is seriously considering extending the deadline to the start of the next round, that hopefully Oilers reach otherwise this season is getting won by the only current player who predicted a Oilers loss so far.

Hey, I calls ’em as I sees ’em ha ha ha

10. Reja says:

JOFA:
    Prediction: by game two Nuge will be back with Draisaitl and Yamo

That long.

11. Dee Dee says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Tell that to the millions of Leaf and Habs fans for me, please.

12. Reja says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Me being a old guy that watched every playoff game since day one interestedly thinks the exact opposite. It doesn’t seem that long ago when we were the envy of every hockey fan especially those jerk offs three hours south.

JOFA:
    Can you hear the drums Archieee

Can you hear the tabla, Jujhar.

14. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Thanks LT!

I too hope Konovalov puts in another solid season and is aggressively pursued by the Oilers to get over here sooner than later. particularly since the proverbial fork has been put into Starrett. They need a promising up and comer goalie in the system ASAP. Needs to be better and more experienced than Skinner, Wells…buys some more time for young Rody to develop. Fingers crossed Kono and Rody are battling out for the starter in 2022

I don’t quite see a role for Slepy any more, particularly if young JP (the phoenix?) is serious about his resurrection as an Oiler.

15. JOFA says:

Reja: That long.

Let’s hope it’s sooner😉

16. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Can I pick MK Ultra as the playoff surprise?
    My skater surprise is the new hometown hero Tyler Ennis 🙂

While I am at it – Connor wins the Conn Smythe!!

Go OILERS!

(fans gotta fan)

17. Reja says:

JOFA: Let’s hope it’s sooner😉

We’re just a few pieces away and Holland will make it happen quick.

18. Harpers Hair says:

There is growing concern the KHL season may be suspended due to large numbers of players testing positive.

19. just sayin says:

Harpers Hair,

Thanks for your regular rays of sunshine.

20. Munny says:

I will take Ennis for the Pisani role…

Also vet, also hometown, also middle 6er, also starved for some playoff matches.

On 2nd PP unit… so should see about 9.6 secs of PP a game.

Please Gord let AA be Samsonov.

That said, I don’t think this Oiler team goes as deep as 06… not without some help from other brackets.

21. John Chambers says:

This year’s Pisani: Matthew Benning

Edmonton boy. Depth role. My guess is MB has a couple of crucial goals at crucial times and plays his usual sturdy defence.

Benning has been unlucky to have gotten injured at unfortunate times, just as he was playing with more confidence and agility with the puck. If he stays healthy I think the broader community will have a much higher opinion of Matt Benning in a few weeks.

22. hunter1909 says:

dustrock: Hey, I calls ’em as I sees ’em ha ha ha

Say Oilers do go through feel free to re enter another entry. Since technically if it doesn’t start when the 16 team brackets start in 8 / 4 / 2/ 1 it won’t exist.

Right now the Death March™ Tech team are preparing for a fantastic launch Rated at 10X better quality with new features designed to get players to come to the site hopefully more than once.

hunter1909

23. Waiting for a cup says:

Harpers Hair,

I have little knowledge of contract law and even less knowledge of the KHL. Do they even have a CBA like deal with the players?

What I do know is that I work on contract. That contract has a start date and an end date. If my client decides to shutdown for 2 months ( they did ) the end date on the contract did not change.

24. OriginalPouzar says:

Players outside the NHL that could help the Oilers next season:

– Bouchard
    – Benson
    – Marody (maybe)
    – Berglund
    – Lennstrom (maybe)
    – Puljujarvi
    – Laffreniere

25. Eh Team says:

Harpers Hair: That would mean players on KHL contracts expiring in a year would still owe their teams a year of service, delaying their arrival in North America.

Well, we can’t be sure what that means.

For example, in baseball, if the season had been cancelled (well, it still may), Mookie Betts would be a free agent for next year without having played a game. (Yeah- I know he re-signed, but if he hadn’t). So perhaps it just runs a year off of their contracts in the KHL.

Perhaps we will find out in the NHL for 2021. Unless the USA gets covid under control, there may not be a 2021 NHL season. That would get a bunch of bad contracts off the books….

26. OriginalPouzar says:

I didn’t list Konovalov as a player that could help the Oilers next year as he is contracted to the KHL which precludes NHL work.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

I agree, Slephshev could likely help this team – a few months ago, when I thought he may sign, I was excited to have him as the “Gagner replacement” – the guy that can play up and down the lineup. Ennis seems to maybe be that guy now (maybe Haas or Nygard will develop in to that).

Too bad Slepy signed in the KHL, precluding an NHL return – when his two year deal is up, so are the Oilers rights so he will be a UFA in the NHL.

28. Harpers Hair says:

Waiting for a cup:
    Harpers Hair,

I have little knowledge of contract law and even less knowledge of the KHL.Do they even have a CBA like deal with the players?

What I do know is that I work on contract.That contract has a start date and an end date.If my client decides to shutdown for 2 months ( they did ) the end date on the contract did not change.

I’m just going on the word of Rick Dhaliwal who is very plugged in to many player agents.

I would imagine contract law in Russia is very different than here.

29. Brantford Boy says:

OriginalPouzar: – Laffreniere

You were compelled right?

30. Durag says:

Brantford Boy:
    I’m going with Neal for the Pisani role… he seems fully healthy, and watching him actually beat a Flames defenseman on the forecheck confirmed the rumours he is quicker.He too is a veteran and had success in the finals before, and in my opinion has a chip on his shoulder to prove his worth.

I’m setting the over under for greasy, off-wing, Ryan Smyth clapper goals in the playoffs at 1.5 for Neal and you better believe I’m taking the over.

31. Oilpower says:

I think the real questions that need asked, are who is woodguy betting on, and why are we talking about prospects when Edmonton is 2 days away from playoff hockey!!! Woot woot! Unleash the McDri!!!

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Coach T. was on the Gregor show yesterday, it was a solid interview. Some Coles Notes from memory:

– the coaches and the team have talked alot about mental preparation given the uniquness of how the game is being played. He feels the team is in a great spot mentally

– the break helped them physically. Two guys he mentioned being “re-energized” are McDavid and Bear who were both a bit run down before the pause. Physically, Kailer and Neal are healthier now (Kailer had an ankle issue in March).

– Match-ups – will depend on how each game and the series are going. Seemed to put more emphasis on the defensive pairing match-up

– Really likes Khaira as a center

– Wanted to get Broberg a game so that he has one under his belt “in case they are in a situation where they need him” – I truly believe he remains behind Jones, Lagesson, Bouchard as far as getting in to the lineup

Coach T. is on the Jamieson show today at 1 (in 20 minutes) – although with LT and Dusty off, Jamo is doing the morning show so I’m not sure who is doing the noon-2.

33. krakman says:

What do the resident gamblers think of the Oilers at 25:1 for the cup.

I think the play in teams will have a big advantage in the second round and Chicago is a good match up for the Oilers. Great top end talent and special teams could carry them through a few series. Goaltending is the big wildcard but between the two I would think they can get average goaltending through the playoffs would that be good enough?

I’m thinking of laying some money on them but maybe my bias is clouding my judgement too much.

34. PREDICKTER says:

Harpers Hair,

When’s them glory holes opening up in BC? I’m really pulling for you to get back to work.

35. Profit says:

Harpers Hair,

Sure – maybe COVID takes down the KHL season. Or maybe Russia’s COVID vaccine which is being registered August 12 and could theoretically be available within weeks solves the problem and the KHL is the only place where there will be hockey this/next year. (Source WSJ but just do a google search on it).

I think both scenarios are equally as plausible (i.e. not very)

36. SwedishPoster says:

He also spoke about the main thing he’s learned from being around guys like McDavid and Draisaitl, focus, they don’t just step up come game time, they are the best players on the ice every single session. But he also pointed out that he wasn’t there to gawk at superstars he was first and foremost there to do a job as a player on the team. As unlikely as it is that he’ll get any games he says he will do everything to be ready if called uppnå.

Nice little interview it sounds like he has a sound mix of excitement, willingness to learn and professionalism about being there that should help him a whole lot going forward.

37. leadfarmer says:

How many KHL teams will fold if there is no season

38. OriginalPouzar says:

Sheahan was at practice today – not sure about Jones.

39. DocFan says:

godot10: Can you hear the DHOL, Jujhar.

FTFY

40. OriginalPouzar says:

Tippett confirms that everyone was on the ice for practice today – I guess Jones was good to go in addition to Sheahan.

Of course, the 3rd pairing will almost certainly be Russell/Benning for Game 1 but its great that the coaching staff should have all their options available.

41. Victoria Oil says:

SwedishPoster:

Thanks very much for this. Sounds like the kid has a great attitude.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

The AHL has officially changes its projected start-date to December 4. No real surprise here as they can’t/won’t start without the NHL which we know won’t start until December at the earliest.

Here is hoping that the AHL is able to start in lockstep with the NHL (assuming the NHL does play next season):

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … American Hockey League President and CEO Scott Howson has announced a revised start date for the 2020-21 AHL season, as approved by the league’s Board of Governors during its 2020 Annual Meeting held today via conference call.

At the recommendation of the AHL’s Return to Play Task Force, the Board of Governors has approved moving the anticipated start of the 2020-21 regular season to December 4, 2020, due to the ongoing COVID-19 public health crisis. The AHL will continue to work with its member clubs to monitor developments and local guidelines in all 31 league cities.

Further details regarding the 2020-21 American Hockey League schedule are still to be determined.

In operation since 1936, the AHL serves as the top development league for all 31 National Hockey League teams. Nearly 90 percent of today’s NHL players are American Hockey League graduates, and more than 100 honored members of the Hockey Hall of Fame spent time in the AHL in their careers.

43. Jordan says:

I would really like to see Kassian step up in these playoffs and drive play, and the other teams crazy.

Be more than a pest – be a terrifying force. If he can go Pisani, the Oilers win the cup (presuming no major injuries).

LT, I want to thank you for being an advocate of wearing masks in public, I know not everyone agrees, but as someone who lives with a high-risk individual, everything we can do to reduce spread is a good step. I know it’s not going to win popularity contests, but it’s the right thing to do, and I’m grateful you’re using your platform to do good.

I’ve never met your mom and dad, but from what you’ve said about them, I’m sure they’d be proud.

Cheers,

44. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar:
    The AHL has officially changes its projected start-date to December 4.No real surprise here as they can’t/won’t start without the NHL which we know won’t start until December at the earliest.

Yesterday, Dr. Bonnie Henry said there would be no sports with fans in the stands at least until 2021.

I would imagine other Canadian jurisdictions would follow since BC has a relatively low infection rate so we could well be looking somewhat later.

45. dustrock says:

leadfarmer:
    How many KHL teams will fold if there is no season

Isn’t that up to Putin?

46. tavvey tune says:

47. OriginalPouzar says:

JJ Khaira for the Pisani role……..

Hopefully its AA because, his success in a middle 6 role, would likely mean the team is firing on cylinders!

48. Silver Streak says:

tavvey tune:
    I fear we are in the process of finding out why Detroit would unload a big, fast, 30 goal scorer, under control contractually, for a couple 2nds.I hope I’m wrong but it’s not looking like it.

Exact and precise…..yes he can skate, he is not often on the right side of the puck….and I have not seen anything resembling an NHL shot from him….more of an attempted “wrister” flick, or a weak deak attempt…. I think Holland blew this trade. He won`t be an Oiler next year.

49. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Jordan:

Be more than a pest – be a terrifying force.If he can go Pisani, the Oilers win the cup (presuming no major injuries).

– Starting Goalie is just lights out
    – McD lights out
    – Drai same as last playoffs
    – Larsson same as last playoffs
    – Nurse => Sek last playoffs
    – Jones/Bear legit big-time 1st playoffs
    – Someone like Kass has legendary playoff
    – Healthy (Covid plus injuries)

– The winner of the Cup will ride their best players, have sick goalering, mojo from secondary, and health. And yeah, a whole lot of luck

– This has to be from a competitive perspective one of the wide open Cup chances: Little inference from games 100 days ago IMO. No one has “momentum”, Virtually every team is injury free

– The reseeding every round, gives a competitive advantage to teams who only finished a few points higher, based on results from a long time ago

– I think talent will matter a lot this playoffs, as the teasm won’t be coached up into their systems: it will be more open.

– We don’t know what the format is for time off between rounds, and how the 7 games series work in terms of days off. But games will be really fast paced: no travel…

50. OriginalPouzar says:

JOFA:
    Prediction: by game two Nuge will be back with Draisaitl and Yamo

Counter-Prediction – the Nuge/McDavid combo combine for 2 even strength goals.

51. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair:

Suspended or cancelled?

Given how early in the calendar year the season starts, it would seem there is lots of run-room for a postponement and a later start date, no?

52. Harpers Hair says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: In no particular order: all of these happen and we look back and say this is why we won the Cup:

– Starting Goalie is just lights out
    – McD lights out
    – Drai same as last playoffs
    – Larsson same as last playoffs
    – Nurse => Sek last playoffs
    – Someone like Kass has legendary playoff
    – Healthy (Covid plus injuries)

– The winner of the Cup will ride their best players, have sick goalering, mojo from secondary, and health.And yeah, a whole lot of luck

– This has to be from a competitive perspective one of the wide open Cup chances: Little inference from games 100 days ago IMO.No one has “momentum”, Virtually every team is injury free

– We don’t know what the format is for time off between rounds, and how the 7 games series work in terms of days off.But games will be really fast paced: no travel…

Excellent post.

That’s why predicting winners and losers under the current circumstances are almost impossible.

The play in round will only decide who is still playing and upsets in this round are highly likely.

The seeding round means virtually nothing other than a powerhouse may have an opportunity to play a wannabe upset winner in the first actual playoff round but that wannabe should have some momentum.

More than ever, I’ll be placing my wagers on teams that have above average goaltending.

53. OriginalPouzar says:

Waiting for a cup:
    Harpers Hair,

Yes, there is a “CBA”:

I have not reviewed for the purpose of the potential issue re: contract extension.

54. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: Suspended or cancelled?

Impossible to know.

But, if the Kovid Hockey League is delayed for several months, that would mean its players would be indentured well into 2021.

55. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Harpers Hair: Excellent post.

– The flip side of seeding though, that I have’t read anyone comment on is that seeding matters most becasue “home” team gets 4 of 7 games. That travel and being home is massive and non-existent

– Its really a guess. And the “above average goaltending” thats only known in hindsight

56. Harpers Hair says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – The flip side of seeding though, that I have’t read anyone comment on is that seeding matters most becasue “home” team gets 4 of 7 games.That travel and being home is massive and non-existent

– Its really a guess.And the “above average goaltending” thats only known in hindsight

I think taking past goaltending records as a tell is useful although far from perfect.

57. OriginalPouzar says:

tavvey tune:

58. OriginalPouzar says:

Silver Streak: Exact and precise…..yes he can skate, he is not often on the right side of the puck….and I have not seen anything resembling an NHL shot from him….more of an attempted “wrister”flick, or a weak deak attempt…. I think Holland blew this trade. He won`t be an Oiler next year.

AA has a fantastic one-timer off the rush…..

My goodness, the player has played 9 games (injured for most of them).

59. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: Or, perhaps we will be finding out why the GM that acquired such player is in the Hall of Fame due to his building of hockey teams…..

Of course he built the current Red Wings and was relieved of his duties.

60. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Harpers Hair: The only advantage of being the home team is last change and any smart coach can counteract that with on the fly matching.

– Yeah, thats nothing compared to an extra game at home…

– Goaltending: we will just have to ask OP if he rates Koski a playoff goalie, then bet the opposite

61. tavvey tune says:

Sure hope so. Between Kenny and Tip, they should be able to build a useful player from the parts we bought.

62. defmn says:

That was confirmed by the pizza ownership gang. Nobody fired him or asked him to leave. He chose to pass the GM job to Yzerman out of loyalty to the Red Wings for the good of a smooth succession.

Very unusual but very classy.

63. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Impossible to know.

I don’t see the issue as long as the KHL season is played.

If its delayed then maybe the contracts expire on June 30 in instead of April 30, for example.

If the season is indeed played, I don’t see an issue with expiring contracts rolling over, which was the initial point.

64. Harpers Hair says:

defmn: I don’t believe that is true. Holland is on record as saying that he stepped aside because it was Yzerman’s time just as Devallano stepped aside for him when he thought Holland was ready.

Very unusual but very classy.

Holland vamoosed at the first opportunity.

65. OriginalPouzar says:

Yup and, of course, each of the three Jack Adams finalists were fired from previous organizations (two as NHL head coaches).

66. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: That was certainly the narrative for public consumption but I’ve always counseled my clients to watch what they do, not what they say.

Holland vamoosed at the first opportunity.

I get it. All things Oilers stink for you. That doesn’t mean you get to just make shit up.

Yzerman informed TB that he would not re-new his contract there. It was widely reported that was so that he could return to Detroit the next year. Holland announced it was time for him to step aside as Devallano had done for him.

Sometimes people with class just do the right thing.

67. defmn says:

Oilers rated 9th best team in the tournament. Sounds about right.

9. Edmonton Oilers

We pity those tasked with defending Connor McDavid in his first elimination series in three-plus years. Tandem goaltending and a young blue line aren’t often the hallmarks of a deep run, but the one-two punch of a Hart Trophy favourite and the world’s most thrilling player up the middle strikes fear. McDavid’s peers might regret not nominating him as one of the league’s three most outstanding players once they see him in action.

68. jp says:

Harpers Hair:
    Of course he built the current Red Wings and was relieved of his duties.

Of course he also built the most successful team in the past 25 years.

69. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t see the issue as long as the KHL season is played.

Yes, if it’s played…no problem with rollover.

If it is significantly delayed, it could leave countless players in limbo as we’ve already seen this offseason.

For example, Reid Boucher signed with CKSA which has reported 20 Covid cases.

He won’t be getting paid anything until the KHL season starts and I doubt he is very eager to go there.

It’s going to be an issue and could spread to other leagues.

70. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

defmn: Don’t go pretending to be a mind reader on me please. That is a trick for juniors. Making up nonsense like “at the first opportunity” makes it an even less persuasive argument since anybody who cares to look at the record can see he stayed several years into the re-build.

Sometimes people with class just do the right thing.

Well said!
    And people without class just don’t…

71. jp says:

hunter1909: lol as of now you win the contest unless Oilers win the play in round or someone else enters similar predictions.

Have you picked a tiebreak for the playoff death march?

How about Rafferty vs. Bouchard – which one plays more post-season games?

72. Harpers Hair says:

Sometimes people with class just do the right thing.

Absolutely no need to read minds here.

Holland left the Wings three weeks after Steve Yzerman took over.

Yes, he was involved in a rebuild that produced an historically bad team this season and will likely take years to turn around.

And, yes, he should get credit for the Wings long record of success but ignoring the mess he left behind is ridiculous.

73. jp says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: Can I pick MK Ultra as the playoff surprise?
    My skater surprise is the new hometown hero Tyler Ennis 🙂
    While I am at it – Connor wins the Conn Smythe!!
    Go OILERS!
    (fans gotta fan)

Those are solid picks.

74. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: Absolutely no need to read minds here.

Holland left the Wings three weeks after Steve Yzerman took over.

Grow up, huh. You don’t have that many more years to get there.

75. jp says:

SwedishPoster: Long interview with Broberg in swedish media today, talking about his experience in camp, don’t have time to do a full translation but the highlights were him praising Adam Larsson for taking him under his wing and making him feel comfortable “incredibeI guy I can’t say one bad thing about him”. Sounds like Adam Larsson has gone far beyond just being a good teammate in trying to help him out.

Thanks for this, great to hear he’s got an even keel on things.

Don’t suppose you have a link to the interview? (for a google translate)

76. OriginalPouzar says:

Unless something goes wrong at practice tomorrow, with Sheahan and Jones both participating in practice today, I think we can be pretty confidant on what we will see to start the game saturday afternoon:

Nuge/Mcdavid/Kassian

Ennis/Drai/Yamamoto

AA/Sheahan/Archie

Neal/Kharia/Chiasson

(Russell, Haas, Nygard, Benson, Marody, McLeod)

Klefbom/Larsson

Nurse/Bear

Russell/Benning

(Jones, Lagesson, Bouchard, Broberg)

Koskinen

Smith

(Skinner)

————

PP1 – McDavid, Drai, Nuge, Klef, Chiasson (Neal)
    PP2 – Yamamoto, AA, Ennis, Nurse, Bear

PK1 – Sheahan, Archie, Klef, Larsson

PK2 – Nuge, Khaira, Nurse, Russell

Goalie start likely the biggest question mark.

77. hunter1909 says:

Harpers Hair: Holland left the Wings three weeks after Steve Yzerman took over.

Honestly when you talk about the old times at CKUA you’re insightful and a fountain of pure golden memories.

Holland bashing is altogether less, ahem, savory.

78. Harpers Hair says:

defmn: Sigh. Are you trying to make me sorry I tried to be helpful and politely point out that you don’t know what the fuck you are talking about?

Grow up, huh. You don’t have that many more years to get there.

Hell, it wasn’t all that long ago that Pat Quinn, Peter Chiarelli and Craig Ramsey (among others) were seen as saviours.

And yet, here we are.

A team that’s been rebuilding for a decade, has had multiple high draft picks and still doesn’t have a complete top six, a credible bottom six, a number 1 D or a top ranked goaltender.

Can Holland fix this in his lifetime…maybe.

Detroit didn’t think so.

79. jp says:

It’s not all roses to be sure with Athanasiou.

One thing to remember though is the guy who traded for him would know the player better than the guy who unloaded him.

Definitely no guarantees it works out but I’ll give the player a lot more track (well into next season) before making a firm decision. JMO.

80. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Yes, if it’s played…no problem with rollover.

For example, Reid Boucher signed with CKSA which has reported 20 Covid cases.

It’s going to be an issue and could spread to other leagues.

The point you were making is that the potential suspension of the league would create an issue for those with one year left on their KHL contracts as the contracts would roll-over and they wouldn’t be at liberty to come over.

Fair enough if the season is cancelled but not really an issue if its postponed/delayed (and I wouldn’t imagine it would end after the NHL season in such an event).

81. hunter1909 says:

jp: Have you picked a tiebreak for the playoff death march?

How about Rafferty vs. Bouchard – which one plays more post-season games?

In 2016 that would have been described as a colossal question.

As write this, the Death March™ technicians are feverishly constructing the next phase of our successful(since 2014) contest.

It appears that very few fans are bothering with hockey right now. Once the start of actual games begin then interest will return.

We want to extend the Death March deadline to the beginning of the next series; the one that opens with 16 teams and ends with a cup winner(hopefully Oilers).

82. jp says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – Starting Goalie is just lights out

I thought good goaltending was all about the team.

83. Reja says:

tavvey tune:

Have no fear underdog is here.

84. hunter1909 says:

krakman:
    What do the resident gamblers think of the Oilers at 25:1 for the cup.

I think the play in teams will have abig advantage in the second round and Chicago is a good match up for the Oilers. Great top end talent and special teams could carry them through a few series. Goaltending is the big wildcard but between the two I would think they can get average goaltending through the playoffs would that be good enough?

I’m thinking of laying some money on them butmaybe my bias is clouding my judgement too much.

Oilers with the top 2 players in the game together, playing every game at home in Edmonton, and coming from a solid 5th place Conference position look like an OUTSTANDING bet at 25 to 1.

85. hunter1909 says:

Reja: Have no fear underdog is here.

When Harper’s Hair gets rid of Underdog, he’ll rule the world.

86. hunter1909 says:

Harpers Hair: Holland was well past his due before date when he was replaced and the Oilers have a long list of hiring has beens or never weres to run the team.

Was Sather past his due date when he went to work for Dolan?

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909 2020 Playoff Death March™ FINAL WEEK(Subject to revision)

Enter Now!

It’s free!

It’s easy!

Returning Players: Use your original names for continuity purposes.

Isn’t there a problem with your countdown clock?

88. Silver Streak says:

OriginalPouzar: AA has a fantastic one-timer off the rush…..

My goodness, the player has played 9 games (injured for most of them).

89. OriginalPouzar says:

The hiring of Craig Ramsay as an assistant coach in replacement of Kelly Buchburger was lauded by Oiler fans as the hiring of a saviour?

In any event, not sure what that has to do with the hiring of Ken Holland and his ability/pedigree/history of building hockey teams.

90. hunter1909 says:

godot10: Isn’t there a problem with your countdown clock?

The problem is, no one gives a flying monkey about hockey right now in July.

You are right: the clock is not accurate anymore, and this could be fixed as early as the weekend.

91. tavvey tune says:

Silver Streak,

That’s my concern. A weak team had a young asset with potential, a likely building block, and let him go. I’m not writing him off, just expressing trepidation. He could be a good bottom six guy, if they use his speed in a role he can excel at. I’m not sure I see top six right now…

92. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

jp: I thought good goaltending was all about the team.

– Haha! One of my favourite thesis. Yeah in a season, the best teams have the best goalies. And season over season the best teams (and goalies) change. In a short tournement though, it’s goalie

– Goalies go really hot (or really suck), over any small sample size, regardless of team. That’s where all the volatility is game over game…

– 2 years ago Fleury was exceptional: way better than the season, and they almost won the cup. Last year he was below average in playoffs and they lost in first round.

– Tell me whose hot goalie, I’m all in that team over playoffs…

93. OriginalPouzar says:

Silver Streak: OP thats completely incorrect….he has a below average shot according to people in the know, and I believe he has been in the league 5 years not nine games….Yzerman knows him well and said goodby.

and in those 5 years he has seasons of 18, 16 and 30 goals (plus a rookie season that extrapolates to apx 20 after he was called up).

I would say Holland knows him better than Yzerman and Holland said hello……

94. Reja says:

hunter1909: When Harper’s Hair gets rid of Underdog, he’ll rule the world.

If that fast talking smooth operator paid the $100 he owes me on the Connor Nathan bet I could then parlay it at 25 to 1 then after the Oilers win the cup take the $2500 and let it all ride on back to back for a total of let say $27500( fun money) Holland and Tippett walked in at the I can’t believe it’s butter moment. Fuck Calgary and even with the Pom Pom Canuck fan I still have no hate for the Canucks how can u hate a team that’s won jack diddly. Anyhow how many more hours till the Oilers run roughshod over the politically incorrect Blackhawks. Shane where are you. Shane don’t leave. Shane… Shane….

95. Munny says:

I’m not sure who these people in the know are, but I’ve watched him play, and I’ve reviewed his highlight reels a couple of times since we traded for him, and I’m sorry, I’m with OP on this: AA’s one-timer is top-end.

96. OriginalPouzar says:

Not that PP2 gets much time, and far for me to question Gully’s deployment, but instead of Nurse/Bear on the point, I wouldn’t mind seeing AA/Bear out there for two one-time options from the tops of the circles (Kailer, Ennis and, maybe, Kass or the one of Neal and Chiasson that didn’t play much on PP1 that shift).

97. jp says:

Harpers Hair:

Can you list the current teams that have all this?

98. Munny says:

Some more background on the Redball SPAC I just came across on CNBC:

This isn’t the first time a firm attempted to use a SPAC to acquire sports-related properties. Andrew Murstein, president and COO of Medallion Financial Corp., launched Sports Properties Acquisition Corp. in 2008, joining forces with Major League Baseball League Baseball legend Hank Aaron and former New York Gov. Mario Cuomo. The company folded in 2010.

RedBird is a big player in the private equity sector, with companies like the New York Yankees’ YES Network in its portfolio. The firm is run by former Goldman Sachs executive Gerry Cardinale, who also had a hand in forming Legends Hospitality with the Yankees and Dallas Cowboys.

On July 20, RedBird also announced it purchased 85% of the French soccer team, Toulouse Football Club from owner Olivier Sadran who will retain a 15% stake in the club and remain on the member board of directors.

might pick up some shit on the cheap a year or two from now…

99. jp says:

hunter1909: In 2016 that would have been described as a colossal question.

Well I thank the team for their efforts.

I’ve placed my bet now as well, since I feel good about the team making it to the round of 16.

100. jp says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Haha!One of my favourite thesis.Yeah in a season, the best teams have the best goalies.And season over season the best teams (and goalies) change. In a short tournement though, it’s goalie

– Goalies go really hot (or really suck),over any small sample size, regardless of team.That’s where all the volatility is game over game…

– 2 years ago Fleury was exceptional: way better than the season, and they almost won the cup.Last year he was below average in playoffs and they lost in first round.

–Tell me whose hot goalie, I’m all in that team over playoffs…

Right, OK.

101. Eh Team says:

jp: tavvey tune: I fear we are in the process of finding out why Detroit would unload a big, fast, 30 goal scorer, under control contractually, for a couple 2nds. I hope I’m wrong but it’s not looking like it.

102. jp says:

Munny: might pick up some shit on the cheap a year or two from now…

Damn..

103. Eh Team says:

defmn: Harpers Hair: Of course he built the current Red Wings and was relieved of his duties.

Very unusual but very classy.

Holland’s time was up in Detroit and Yzerman was available. But Holland stepped into much better situation. Much more money, a franchise begging for some kind of competence, big upside with McD and Drai and nowhere to go but up. All the Oilers need is league average management and they will be long term contenders.

104. Reja says:

Eh Team: The obvious reason is that Detroit isn’t planning on competing for a couple of years so picks are more valuable to them than a non-elite player. That doesn’t mean that AA isn’t a decent NHL’er but that means he isn’t what the Red Wings need right now which is simply future value.

A.A is going to score some big goals. He’s our ace in the hole but don’t tell anybody especially the sleazy Dallas Stars who were gifted exempt status over us.

105. Reja says:

Eh Team: Holland’s time was up in Detroit and Yzerman was available.But Holland stepped intomuch better situation.Much more money, a franchise begging for some kind of competence, big upside with McD and Drai and nowhere to go but up. All the Oilers need is league average management and they will be long term contenders.

Holland at 5 large and Tippett walked into a dream scenario we have probably the deepest D in the league and our first two lines have the best centres in the league.Young Oiler fans need to snap out of poor me attitude because this team is close.

106. Munny says:

Reja: Holland at 5 largeand Tippett walked into a dream scenario we have probably the deepest D in the league and our first two lines have the best centres in the league.Young Oiler fans need to snap out ofpoor me attitude because this team is close.

The biggest problems are in the bottom half of the roster. I’ll take those problems any day over the alternative.

That said, we went deep in 06 because no one could match with us. The top 2 lines would saw off and the bottom 2 would come out ahead.

We’re close, i think you’re right. Just not quite there yet. But tantalizingly close.

And who knows, we have yet to see the Oilers with a perfectly healthy, something-to-prove 97 this season. Bear’s rested and has games under his belt now. Jones has flown more sorties. Haas & Nygard too. Ennis and AA added. JJ at C. Neal healthy. Playoff Drai and Kass…

Who knows.. It’s definitely not unpossible. If they can put it all together, it might be unstoppable (well, through the West anyways).

107. Reja says:

Munny: The biggest problems are in the bottom half of the roster.I’ll take those problems any day over the alternative.

That said, we went deep in 06 because no one could match with us.The top 2 lines would saw off and the bottom 2 would come out ahead.

We’re close, i think you’re right.Just not quite there yet.But tantalizingly close.

And who knows, we have yet to see the Oilers with a perfectly healthy, something-to-prove 97 this season.Bear’s rested and has games under his belt now.Jones has flown more sorties.Haas & Nygard too.Ennis and AA added.JJ at C.Neal healthy.Playoff Drai and Kass…

Who knows..It’s definitely not unpossible.If they can put it all together, it might be unstoppable (well, through the West anyways).

Nice post. For me unleash Leon the best player in the world, yes the best player in world and he’s all ours and the trolls can sit on it.

108. JimmyV1965 says:

Harpers Hair: Absolutely no need to read minds here.

Holland left the Wings three weeks after Steve Yzerman took over.

And adults will judge Holland’s record on what he has done here. I was very skeptical of the hire, but Holland has been very good this year. Any adult, unbiased person would recognize that.

It doesn’t matter what AA does. It was a very good trade when it was made. The odds of getting a good player with two late second round picks is very unlikely. The odds of AA becoming a contributing member of this team are much more likely. But either way it’s a gamble. He made a good bet, but he can still lose the bet.

109. JimmyV1965 says:

He had to be doing something right, averaging 23 goals per 82 games in his career.

110. Fuge Udvar says:

False narratives everywhere today.. Yzerman knows more about AA even when though Yzerman was in Tampa from 2010-2019. Holland is an old has been.. When it is well established that not only did he step aside for Yzerman to come to Detroit but that Holland had to make choices against the long term to try to keep the playoff streak alive. Which was important to Mike Ilitch at the time.

I love all the old stories on this blog but that grain of salt is starting to look like a boulder.

111. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair: I know exactly what I’m talking about and hardly need pompous condescension to aid me in any fashion.

And yet, here we are.

Can Holland fix this in his lifetime…maybe.

Detroit didn’t think so.

It obviously takes no skill to ba an ass! Congrats on your crowning achievement!

112. OilClog says:

Trying to act like Holland was anything but doing a damn good job trying to keep the Detroit playoff streak alive for ownership at the end when he wanted to rebuild is hilarious.

He’s walked into Edmonton and has them projected to absolutely beat the bullocks off Bertbert Ragdoll and the Vancouver Canucks for the next decade. The crowd loves to see it.

He has in one season at the helm brought in a winning kick ass coach, insulated the high end talent with enough pieces to compete and lucked out with have one of the best young D cores around.

Speaking ill on Holland’s past or current accomplishments is just a verbal sign that the spicy taco ring in your shorts won’t wash out and you can’t decide to walk bow legged or ass clenched to numb the spicy pain.

113. SwedishPoster says:

jp: Thanks for this, great to hear he’s got an even keel on things.

Don’t suppose you have a link to the interview? (for a google translate)

OilClog:

McCurdy wrote a thorough piece at CofH about this, the rebuild started in the hours after Ilitch passed basically (Feb 2017).

Deadline deals for Legwand and Cole in 2014 and 2015 were clearly Hail Mary’s for a last trip to glory.

Holland was part of the rebuild from February 28, 2017 to his hiring by Edmonton spring 2019. It’s in the link. He was crawling from the wreckage, that takes time.

115. jp says:

SwedishPoster: Of course. Here you go. https://hockeysverige.se/2020/07/30/en-oforglomlig-hockeysommar-for-philip-broberg

That is a really nice read.

The kid sure seems to have a good head on his shoulders. And yeah, it sounds like Larsson has gone above and beyond. All good stuff.

And google translate is sooo much smoother for Swedish than for Finnish!

116. N64 says:

jp: And google translate is sooo much smoother for Swedish than for Finnish

Someone’s gotta tell Google to pull the Tikanese out of their Finnish Machine learning datasets