The Lost Highway

Photo by Mark Williams

Mark Spector breaks a lot of stories, and it looks like he has another in regard to Jesse Puljujarvi’s possible return to the Edmonton Oilers. Story is here.

THE ATHLETIC

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

PULJUJARVI’S SPOT IN THE BATTING ORDER

I want to make a point, but before I do, I have to make another point. I’m about to suggest JP as No. 3 right wing in 2020-21, but want to make it clear that he would have success playing on the top line. For his brief career so far, JP scores 2.06 per 60 at five-on-five when playing with Connor McDavid, and the duo drills opponents at 55 percent Corsi for five-on-five. I don’t know why the math loves their chemistry while there was apparently none in real life, but down the line, maybe in the playoffs when the season is on the line and all else has failed, this could be considered an option. Here, are the five-on-five per 60 scoring numbers by Edmonton’s wingers with McDavid in 2018-19:

1. Leon Draisaitl 3.35 (805 minutes)
  2. Drake Caggiula 2.54 (141 minutes)
  3. Zack Kassian 1.96 (428 minutes)
  4. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1.91 (376 minutes)
  5. Milan Lucic 1.83 (98 minutes)
  6. Jesse Puljujarvi 1.80 (67 minutes)
  7. Ty Rattie 1.72 (244 minutes)
  8. Alex Chiasson 1.48 (284 minutes)
  9. Jujhar Khaira 0.93 (64 minutes)
  10. Kailer Yamamoto 0.00 (84 minutes)

In August of 2019, when he made it official, I wrote the following in a post on this blog called ‘So Long and thanks for all the Fish’:

I sincerely hope Jesse Puljujarvi finds his way, first in Finland and then in the NHL. He is looking for his own place in the sun, you can’t blame a man for being restless to find home. Sail on, Kajaanin Hokki, you came to us in a time of great confusion. Don’t you dare let this experience define you. Keep smiling, big man. We won’t forget you.”

SWEDISH POSTER’S UPDATE (All words by SP)

Nice early arrow for Broberg. Had an assist, played on PP2(PP1 was all forwards) and started the 3on3 ot.

Getting a good chance in early exhibition is one thing, the next step is hanging on to that opportunity, SHL coaches are notoriously hard on young D once the real games get going, especially if the team is losing and he will see his ice time fade for stretches but it’s clear they see him as a top 4 option going in. I wouldn’t count on him being top 2 in ice time going forward but if he manages to hold that spot and establish himself as a top pairing SHL D that would be quite impressive. Run with it Phil, rum with it!

Filip Berglund has also been on the top pairing for Linköping to start. And Lennström scored yesterday. Now we just need Lavoie to force himself into Rögle’s top six and PP1 and we’re cooking over here!

(Ftr I’d be very happy if Lavoie could take hold of a top 9 spot and get the occasional shot on PP2, major major difference between the Q and the SHL, if he can make a somewhat smooth transition that’ll tell us a lot about his hockey IQ and coachability).

WHAT TO DO WITH JP

I think we’ll see Ken Holland acquire a veteran No. 3 center over the summer, maybe Finn Erik Haula shakes loose. Puljujarvi has some obvious talents, but badly needs a season where his skill set matches the NHL job available. Third line work will be a challenge and he might eventually move past Kassian and form a strong 1-2 right wing combination with Kailer Yamamoto.

If Puljujarvi signs, massive credit will be due Ken Holland. He played this like Fred MacMurray in My Three Sons.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun Friday morning in August, we kickstart the weekend at 10 on TSN1260. Steve Lansky from Inside the Truck will talk lazy sports television, Dale Hawerchuk and the best hockey team in Canada. Conor McKenna from TSN 690 sets up the Habs-Flyers game tonight at 11. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

162 Responses to "The Lost Highway"

1. Todd Macallan says:

More good news re: Oilers finding a place to play until next season begins. As per Jack Michael’s, Nygard has been lent to Farjestad.

2. Scungilli Slushy says:

It’s been a treat watching Holland do these.

Before it would have been loans to the East Alabama Roller Hockey League and Bronx Roller Derby Association. With no out clauses in the contracts.

3. pts2pndr says:

Given JP’s defensive ability, size and ability to carry the puck It has been my belief that he is miscast as a winger and would flourish as an NHL defensive centre. With his size and strength face offs should be a strength and he has the wingspan of a condor for penalty killing. Centre would also allow him to utilize what I like to call his free spirit. When I first watched him at the Young Stars Tournament, he was always the first forward hustling back on defence.

4. Woogie63 says:

It appears that Ken Holland understands a thing or two about being an NHL general manager.

5. LadiesloveSmid says:

I know Stauffer always hinted at the fact that 97/29 don’t like playing with JP. I’d prefer if they sucked it up, but that was the verbal.

AA-Haula-JP? Gonna be a tough summer of making the money work

6. LadiesloveSmid says:

I am an AA fan. Maybe he goes the route of Ryan Spooner & mysteriously fizzles out at 26 but I think they should qualify him.

7. Elgin R says:

McDavid is the absolute leader on the Oilers and needs to make it work with JP. Now, the onus is on JP, and I hope his english is acceptable, but the math supports this lineup given the available talent on the right wing.

Having JP as #1RW would make a stronger 3rd line with Kassian and allow Holland to trade Chiasson.

The Euros getting places to play is expected. Nice to see Lavoie get a spot as well.

IF JP plays #1RW, Holland / Tippet need to decide is #1LW or #3C more important. I would go after Haula as #3C, he is UFA and not that expensive.

8. Woogie63 says:

Tippet to Kassian, Yamamoto, Puljarjari, Archibald – your homework for the fall is to work on your face-off skills.

9. Ribs says:

I read the Spector headline too quickly and now “Puljujarvito” will be stuck in my head forever.

10. flea says:

I believe the negative verbal around AA is to try and get him to sign a slightly longer term, smaller cap hit contract.

Not a great summer to be a free agent. Oilers are leveraging that to try and get him for less.

11. Oil2Oilers says:

Beyond his hockey playing ability, and its possible positive impact on the Oilers, Puljujarvi is a fine young man. I wish him all the success in the world.

Remember the All Star break when most of his teammates had jetted off to Cabo or the like, and Jesse said in Edmonton and played shinny with the neighborhood kids on an outdoor rink? That is as beautiful a hockey story as you will ever hear.

12. dustrock says:

LadiesloveSmid:

AA-Haula-JP? Gonna be a tough summer of making the money work

Yeah to me it was a foregone conclusion. You think McDavid envisioned having Ty Rattie as his winger?

13. Woogie63 says:

Oil2Oilers,

I remember that story and thought this kids has no relationship with his teammates- young men like to hang out with friends.

14. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

pts2pndr: I don’t know why the math loves their chemistry while there was apparently none in real life, but down the line, maybe in the playoffs when the season is on the line and all else has failed, this could be considered an option

Agree. His skillset and playing style suggest C. I just don’t know where they find the runway to try this out at this point in his career…

15. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

LT ” I don’t know why the math loves their chemistry while there was apparently none in real life, but down the line, maybe in the playoffs when the season is on the line and all else has failed, this could be considered an option”

Hopefully they have a handle on his capacity for 1RW role well before “Break Glass In Case of Emergency”. It probably requires a little open-mindedness from teammates and coaches…

16. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

flea:

I think so too. I can’t believe that KH would give up 2nds for someone he doesn’t have significant confidence in to fit somewhere in this line-up.
    A lot of poker faces are going to be seen between now and next season.

17. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Oil2Oilers:

Was it AllStar break or Christmas??…regardless, my heart grew two sizes that day.

Just suggesting stuff mode ON:

What about Kris Russell for David Rittich? (if we can’t get Derek Ryan for him).

If the Flames really want Taylor Hall, why not Kris Russell for Rittich AND Ryan.

If Jesse is coming back, having Granlund around would be a big plus.

20. jp says:

LadiesloveSmid:

AA-Haula-JP? Gonna be a tough summer of making the money work

Haula would be a spectacular add IMO. But yeah, will be difficult to make it work.

AA-Haula-JP could make sense.

FWIW Neal-Perron were Haula’s primary wingers a couple of years back with Vegas. (Neal scored 25G, 44Pts, Haula scored 29G, 55Pts, Perron 16G, 66Pts). So Neal could be an option as well.

21. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

jp,

Main concern there is that the hard minutes line is still woefully deficient.

22. Elgin R says:

godot10,

Derek Ryan would be an acceptable 3C. Right shot and 29 points last year. They need D and could use KRusty. Interesting!

23. barry.moore23 says:

That Swedish Poster is a hell of a guy (easy for me to say since I don’t live with him/her 🙂 ) and always appreciate his input even tho I know little or nothing about the leagues over that way.

24. Munny says:

LT said,

Some very astute words there, LT.

25. Scungilli Slushy says:

godot10:
    Just suggesting stuff mode ON:

What about Kris Russell for David Rittich?(if we can’t get Derek Ryan for him).

If the Flames really want Taylor Hall,why not Kris Russell for Rittich AND Ryan.

Ryan would be a perfect fit as 3RC.

Get Dowd from The Cape who I’m sure will shake up things. He’s at 750K. Doesn’t score a lot but reliable.

You can let Ennis go though if he’s healthy I like him. Let Sheahan go. Trade AC bcs Neal is likely staying.

The question is the rest of the cusp riders.

AA Ryan Haas

Khaira Dowd Nygard

Benson

To me that looks like right side faceoffs improved, far more plus skating, and more skill than last year. I can see those lines outscoring equivalents or at least breaking even, and having adequate defensive ability.

26. dustrock says:

The Flames’ entire 1st line of Lindholm-Monahan-Gaudreau didn’t have a 5v5 point the entire series.

That’s insane.

I don’t want to sound like one of those guys, but with the Oilers, Leafs and Flames all gone, I do wonder about skill being squeezed out by systems, speed and physicality in the playoffs.

27. jp says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual:
    jp,

Main concern there is that the hard minutes line is still woefully deficient.

This is true, but you don’t HAVE to run a line with 30% Ozone starts.

Sheahan’s line didn’t face overly tough comp either, while Haas was getting super soft comp with average zone starts.

A Haula line could easily take on equivalent comp to Sheahan as long as they aren’t always buried in the D zone.

Sharing the load a little more evenly among the 4 lines is absolutely an option IMO (though agreed, he is not a great fit if Tippett is going to run the same deployment as this season).

28. Todd Macallan says:

Me thinks we will be relying on Swedish Poster a lot over the next few months at least, what with half our roster over there I. The SHL.

29. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

jp,

I agree with your take there. I get the impression Tip likes having a dedicated shutdown line, but I can’t say I’ve checked back into his time with the Yotes. Maybe he felt forced to play a hard minutes line to maximize this roster (though, I don’t think that’s what he did).

When all is said and done, I think the successful hard minutes guy will be cheaper and more beneficial to the team than the moderate depth scorer.

Of course, if you can find a get both, that’d be magical!

30. Munny says:

The one drawback to Ryan (besides the one that he plays for another team) is that he has been hiding from the Elites most of us career…

#Shelterfromthestorm

31. Rickety Cricket says:

Elite penalty killer Toby Rieder -2 in the Flames loss. Sad we let him go.

32. John Chambers says:

godot10:
    Just suggesting stuff mode ON:

What about Kris Russell for David Rittich?(if we can’t get Derek Ryan for him).

You think León Draisaitl wants to share a room with “No Save Dave”?

If he so much as dropped his stick by accident in practice …

33. tavvey tune says:

Bohologo: +1, SwedishPoster is pure awesome.

Swedishposter is an anagram of “shrewd e-posits”

34. John Chambers says:

Rickety Cricket:
    Elite penalty killer Toby Rieder -2 in the Flames loss. Sad we let him go.

He also blocked a Calgary shot-on-goal with his foot hulking in front of Khudobin to end game 5. Not much value in screening the goalie if you’re the one preventing the shots from getting through.

35. tavvey tune says:

My Three Sons. Wow, thanks LT, I haven’t thought about that show for a long time.
    When we were kids we substituted the word “Sons” for various body parts. Glad I’m so much more mature now.

36. London Jon says:

Woogie63:
    Oil2Oilers,

He’d better be fluent by now…

37. Pescador says:

Munny:

#Shelterfromthestorm

He will be 34 in December.
    I would rather have Haas or McLeod in that spot next season

38. Pescador says:

Pescador,

As for the 3C; aim higher

39. OriginalPouzar says:

Very positive news from Spector yesterday but I won’t get overly excited until I read the pen has been put to paper and he is planning on coming to camp to compete for a roster spot.

I anticipate the contract will be in and around $1M – I’ve seen in weeks past some suggesting a cap hit around $2M or so but, really, he has to prove to be able to play in the NHL prior to getting that type of deal, doesn’t he? I don’t imagine Kenny would bring him back for that type of comp.

Now, in my opinion, Jesse comes to camp with a contract and competes for a roster and lineup spot. I would go in to camp with the expectation that he will absolutely earn a middle 6 winger spot.

At the same time, without gifting him any sort of top 6 spot, to the extent his effort and play in camp warrant it, an opportunity in the top 6 would be explored and for all we know he runs with it.

Yamamoto is locked in as Drai’s RW but Kassian is not as McDavid’s – Puljujarvi should be in that battle.

Similar, Nuge is locked in as a top 6 LW but noone else is – Benson should be in that battle.

Yes, Bouchard should be in the battle for a roster RD spot as well but he has to beat out incumbents that have earned spots ahead of him (both Larsson and Bear as top 4 RD and Benning as a 3RD).

Go Jesse!

Go Tyler!

Go Evan!

40. Munny says:

Pescador: I don’t see Ryan as anything more than an expensive 4C at this point in his career. Good face off guy but
    He will be 34 in December.
    I would rather have Haas or McLeod in that spot next season

Dallas Stars had $815 in cap space this season. Darcy McLeod carries More in his wallet on a trip to the liquor store.

I wonder if RFA Faksa can be had from Dally… if the Stars are serious about re-signing Khudobin. Because RFA Guryanov is also going to get a raise.

41. OriginalPouzar says:

Erik Haula should be a primary UFA target on the premise that his AAV/Cap hit will be cheaper coming of a down year and that he could play 3C on a value contract.

He is coming off an AAV of $2.75M – can he be signed for cheaper, in the $2.25M range?

42. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

London Jon: Not speaking the language doesn’t help you to make friends to hang out with. Or learn systems from your coaches. Or learn anything from your coaches.

He’d better be fluent by now…

43. Munny says:

Bohologo: Flames go home devastated!

For some reason “Spread Joy, not Sheet,” sticks out clearly in my mind from the broadcast lol.

44. OriginalPouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid:

AA-Haula-JP? Gonna be a tough summer of making the money work

Stauffer would know better than me (a true outsider) but there has never been anything verified on what the issues are and with whom.

There has been various smoke bubbles on this so maybe there is something to it – some sort of rift between JP and McDavid/Drai – whether on the ice or off the ice or a combo.

If that is the case, I wouldn’t just prefer that the guys “suck it up” – I would expect it and be highly disappointed if they wouldn’t or couldn’t.

On the assumption that Jesse can help this hockey team – whether in the middle six or the top 6, McDavid and Drai (and whoever) should accept him in to the room and on the ice.

Wins are what matter.

Unless Jesse is just a complete asshole or something along those lines, which is tough to think is the case, put the differences aside and win some hockey games!

45. jp says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual:
    jp,

Of course, if you can find a get both, that’d be magical!

I don’t disagree at all with this.

But a Haula add and something resembling 3 scoring lines would be awfully nice to see.

That AND a competent shutdown line would be manna, and probably too much to even hope for (but here’s hoping!)

46. OriginalPouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid:

The risk is, once the qualifying offer is submitted, AA files for arbitration and gets an award above the $3M and less than the apx $4.6M walk away threshold.

Given his 30 goal season that he could use as evidence, there is risk there I think.

With that said, I absolutely agree they shouldn’t just walk away from the player.

He had a shitty year and as shitty 13 games as an Oiler. He didn’t look smart on the ice or that he was developing chemistry with any other forwards. At the same time, it was 13 games split by 5 months.

He has a history of producing in and round 1.8-2.2 P/60.

I hope that Holland is able to get him signed for around his QO (or maybe even a bit less for term) prior to actually formally submitting in and taking away the arb risk.

I am fine with having him back for 1 X $3M – he very well could outperform that contract and he’d still be an RFA.

47. jp says:

Munny:

#Shelterfromthestorm

48. leadfarmer says:

hopefully they question Johnny Gaudreaus leadership and then trade him for a bag of pucks

49. who says:

OriginalPouzar:

I anticipate the contract will be in and around $1M – I’ve seen in weeks past some suggesting a cap hit around $2M or so but, really, he has to prove to be able to play in the NHL prior to getting that type of deal, doesn’t he?I don’t imagine Kenny would bring him back for that type of comp.

Go Jesse!

Go Tyler!

Go Evan!

Man, you love to talk out of both sides of your mouth.
    Bouchard has Bear, Larrson and Benning ahead of him on the depth chart.
    Benson has Nuge, AA and Nygarrd ahead of him.
    And yet you say Benson should be given every opportunity to win the job as a top 6 winger.
    At the same time you say it would be risky to go into the season with Bouchard at 3RD because, gasp, what happens if there’s a RD injury and Bouchard is forced into the top 4.
    Surely YOU must see the MASSIVE difference in your position on these 2 players.
    How about we just let everyone battle for their spot in training camp, whenever that is, and let the chips fall where they may.

50. krakman says:

There was an article forgot who did it but the issues with Pullajarvi were all on ice. Basically coaches would tell him where he should position himself in the o zone, he would do it for a couple of games and then revert to his old ways. This is what caused frustration with his team mates, that they never knew where hes going to be.

To me it seems like this is mostly on the player, he got treated with kid gloves by the team and he re payed them by going home. If he doesnt come back with a fresh attitude he’ll be back in europe permanently within a few years

51. Pescador says:

jp: This is most definitely true, and part of the reason it’s plausible he could be available. I’d very gladly move him for Russell if that were on the table, knowing full well he’s always been sheltered.

Trade Russell yes, for a AHL B type prospect. in a cap dump type trade is the best route IMO

52. jp says:

He will be 34 in December.
    I would rather have Haas or McLeod in that spot next season

Pescador:
    Pescador,

As for the 3C;aim higher

Aim higher for 3C is pretty fair but I don’t agree much with the rest.

IMO Ryan would only make sense in exchange for Russell, but in that case I think it would be a clear win (considering the makeup of the Oilers roster).

And strong disagreement on him not being an upgrade on Haas or McLeod.

Ryan has been sheltered but so was Haas in his first year. He’s consistently had pretty strong 5on5 scoring rates, DFF% numbers and GF/GA results. Plus he’s a RC who can win draws as you mention, and he’s been a very good penalty killer. He checks a lot of boxes (a well).

53. jp says:

Pescador: I don’t think adding a 33yr old (stb 34) 4C with a $3.1M cap hit is in the best interest of the Oilers.

See above 🙂

I disagree, but we can leave it at that!

54. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: I anticipate the contract will be in and around $1M – I’ve seen in weeks past some suggesting a cap hit around $2M or so

Where have you seen that?

I and one or two others here have speculated something over $1M and less than $1.5 (I said $1.2-$1.5M IIRC). $2M would be a little crazy, I agree.

55. Munny says:

Tyler Seguin makes $9.850 AAV.

Can any of you see Hall being willing to sign for less? A little, maybe, but not a lot less.

56. jp says:

Munny:
    Tyler Seguin makes $9.850 AAV.

Can any of you see Hall being willing to sign for less?A little, maybe, but not a lot less.

Man. Hall is going to have a tough go of it during Covid FA season if that’s his benchmark… Will be interesting to see how it goes.

57. Munny says:

jp,

Well, he could always spin the narrative that he’s willing to leave cap space on the table in the interests of helping the team compelt for the Cup.

But seeing that number up beside Seguin’s name and having a Hart under your belt has got to sting a little. If these pro athletes are anything, it’s competitive…

58. Munny says:

59. Munny says:

And if that trade for prospect isn’t there? Would you prefer the 33 yo 3rd pairing Dman making $4m over the 4th line RHC making 3.25? Honest question.

60. OriginalPouzar says:

who: Man, you love to talk out of both sides of your mouth.
    Bouchard has Bear, Larrson and Benning ahead of him on the depth chart.
    Benson has Nuge, AA and Nygarrd ahead of him.
    Surely YOU must see the MASSIVE difference in your position on these 2 players.
    How about we just let everyone battle for their spot in training camp, whenever that is,and let the chips fall where they may.

You named 3 left wingers, only one of which has proven to be a top 6 LW. Without anything being done, there is an open spot. Benson can compete with AA and Nygard for that spot.

The Oilers have 2 proven top 4 RD (Bear and Larsson) and a proven 3 RD (Benning). Bouchard can compete with those 3 for a lineup spot and, sure, a top 6 spot if he earns it.

I am all for Benson competing for the currently open top 6 LW spot.

I am all for Bouchard competing for a RD spot.

What I am against is for a trade of an incumbent RD to be made that opens up and gifts a sport directly to Bouchard. If Benning or Larsson were traded without a legit NHL RD option acquired, Bouchard would be gifted a roster spot with no competition and there would be zero RD in case any of the three get injured (with Berglund in Sweden).

Competing for existing open spots (LW) and trading legit players to create lineup spots (RD) are totally different.

61. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: Where have you seen that?

62. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar:

If you can get Erik Haula for under $3 mill, you run don’t walk. In a down year he scored 12 goals and 22 pts in 41 games in Carolina.

63. pts2pndr says:

John Chambers: I was delighted to see Lucic take two bad penalties that led to Dallas goals last night.

Don’t forget that veteran leadership that HH said was so important. Man couldn’t play for the Oilers and should probably hang up the skates. I do believe that Lucic is a class act but his time has passed.

64. pts2pndr says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: Haha … hahahaha. Good luck with that. Ken better get his future linemates, whoever they might be, to polish up on their Finnish. How’s McDavid again on Finnish as a second language? Draisaitl?

65. pts2pndr says:

who: Man, you love to talk out of both sides of your mouth.
    Bouchard has Bear, Larrson and Benning ahead of him on the depth chart.
    Benson has Nuge, AA and Nygarrd ahead of him.
    Surely YOU must see the MASSIVE difference in your position on these 2 players.

66. who says:

OriginalPouzar: I explained the difference to you but you seem to allow your personal issues to be more important than trying to understand.

You named 3 left wingers, only one of which has proven to be a top 6 LW. Without anything being done, there is an open spot.Benson can compete with AA and Nygard for that spot.

I am all for Benson competing for the currently open top 6 LW spot.

I am all for Bouchard competing for a RD spot.

A lot of people would tell you that AA is just as proven at 2L as Bear is at 2RD. They’ve each had 1 good year.
    I’m all for letting everyone compete for a roster spot no matter who’s in front of them. It’s just amusing to me that you think Benson “should be given every opportunity”, but Bouchard should have to wait his turn because he’s blocked by the greatest 3RD ever in Matt Benning.
    My position is that Bouchard is more likely to beat out Benning, than Benson is is to beat out AA. Based on recent performance.
    I’m willing to wait and see. Before I start annointing players who should get the push.

67. who says:

pts2pndr: OP has you on this one. Neither of Nygard or AA were able to hold down other than a roster spot. Benson hasn’t earned a job but his resume and the fact that only Nuge was solid on LW should assure Benson at the very least a long look!

And Bouchards resume doesn’t suggest he could beat out Matt Benning?
    Who had the better year last season, Bouchard or Benson?

68. OriginalPouzar says:

who: And Bouchards resume doesn’t suggest he could beat out Matt Benning?
    Who had the better year last season,Bouchard or Benson?

Bouchard could very well beat out Benning – as i said, Bouchard should have every opportunity to compete for that spot.

I don’t agree that Benning (or Larsson) should be traded without replacement to create a spot for Bouchard. Three is literally no other right shot D option available – none.

69. OriginalPouzar says:

Elgin R:
    McDavid is the absolute leader on the Oilers and needs to make it work with JP.Now, the onus is on JP, and I hope his english is acceptable, but the math supports this lineup given the available talent on the right wing.

The Euros getting places to play is expected.Nice to see Lavoie get a spot as well.

IF JP plays #1RW, Holland / Tippet need to decide is #1LW or #3C more important.I would go after Haula as #3C, he is UFA and not that expensive.

On the last sentence, the issue is, there is no way to know if JP can play 1RW until the off-season acquisition period is over and we get to hockey playing North America. Even if Jesse signs and is coming back, I don’t think Holland can go in to the off-season thinking 1RW is taken care of now.

70. Pescador says:

Munny: And if that trade for prospect isn’t there?Would you prefer the 33 yo 3rd pairing Dman making $4m over the 4th line RHC making 3.25?Honest question.

Solid question,
    In that scenario, then yes Derek Ryan for Russell all day.
    Thats a great trade proposal, whoever made it 😄

71. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

pts2pndr: How about an assistant coach that is fluent in both Finish and English. Doesn’t effect the cap or is that just too simple!

Or one that can speak Tikanese….

72. Woogie63 says:

Could Jack Roslovik be a good 3C target?

73. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: I’ve seen that in this community I believe. Can’t remember from who but I’ve seen it.

Yeah I don’t recall seeing it here but I’ve also been wrong before.

74. jp says:

Munny:
    jp,

But seeing that number up beside Seguin’s name and having a Hart under your belt has got to sting a little.If these pro athletes are anything, it’s competitive…

I think there’s no question it’s going to sting. That doesn’t change the reality though. It will be tough for him to get that kind of money in this flat cap era (and from a competitive team no less).

75. jp says:

Munny: i think then you slot him on a run and gun 4th line, perhaps mentoring a Kid Line, and find someone else (Larsson) to anchor your shutdown line.

Or with AA/Puljujarvi (unless that’s what you meant by a kid line). Haas got essentially identical usage this season as Ryan is used to, and Ryan has a strong history of winning those minutes and producing some offense (as well as very good PK results).

My thought had been to just not burry a specific line, if that’s what the personnel warrants. But looking back at Tippett’s teams in Arizona he usually did have a sub-40% ZS line. That likely is his preference (though it could also simply be the most prudent usage of Boyd Gordon and Kyle Chipchura)

Anyway, adding a Larsson would be great too obviously, but that requires cash and the player being willing.

76. Harpers Hair says:

Munny: Dallas Stars had $815 in cap space this season.Darcy McLeod carries More in his wallet on a trip to the liquor store.

I wonder if RFA Faksa can be had from Dally… if the Stars are serious about re-signing Khudobin.Because RFA Guryanov is also going to get a raise.

There’s been talk of trading Faksa all season long in Dallas.

The Stars have highly rated prospect C Ty Dellandrea waiting in the wings.

77. OriginalPouzar says:

He will be 34 in December.
    I would rather have Haas or McLeod in that spot next season

I understand your position on Ryan but I cannot get on board preferring to rush an important organizational prospect well before his readiness. He wasn’t even a full time 3C in the AHL last year, splitting his time between center and wing on the third line and middle six.

His speed dazzles at camp and heartens us all but does not equate to NHL readiness.

I would suggest the organization allows him to be a full time top 6 center in the AHL prior to 3C in the NHL even if there is a massive hole at the NHL level.

Develop the prospects.

78. Harpers Hair says:

Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) Tweeted:
    Taylor Hall on free agency: “I’d say it’s pretty much all winning. I don’t think the money’s going to be what it was maybe before COVID or before the season, but that’s fine. I think we get paid a lot of money to play a game, and we’ll see what happens.”

79. OriginalPouzar says:

The Gaglardi family does have billions but they are in the hospitality industry (hotels and restaurants) so may be looking to cut some costs – potentially – just pure speculation.

80. Reja says:

You forgot personal chef and hair stylist.

81. OriginalPouzar says:

As per Nick Cotsonika:

It’s got to be the Avs.

82. pts2pndr says:

who: And Bouchards resume doesn’t suggest he could beat out Matt Benning?
    Who had the better year last season,Bouchard or Benson?

No I think he has a very good chance of sticking. The Oilers may decide to carry 8 D for a short period. A lot depends on how things play out as far as when the season starts and a plethora of other things.

83. pts2pndr says:

Reja: You forgot personal chef and hair stylist.

They count count against the cap either.😇

84. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar:
    As per Nick Cotsonika:

It’s got to be the Avs.

Depends on if they lift their internal cap

85. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny: I fell asleep about half way through the 2nd last night so I caught most of the fireworks, (although my memory of the goals seems to be coated in sleep haze) but it would have been nice to see the looks on the Flames faces as they filed off the ice.

For some reason “Spread Joy, not Sheet,”sticks out clearly in my mind from the broadcast lol.

On that note, I assume you’ve seen the video of Tkachuk’s reaction?

86. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: Depends on if they lift their internal cap

The AVs have $12 million coming off the cap including $2.75 million in retained salary on Barrie and another $1.5 million on the Brooks Oorpik buyout.

Considering Bowen Byram, Connor Timmons and Alex Newhook are all likely to join the team on ELCs, they can sign pretty much anyone they want.

87. OriginalPouzar says:

Issue is I see zero reason for the flames to make that trade unless Murray Edwards and company really want to cut costs but still “spend to the cap”.

They have the likes of Valimaki and still have Gio and Hannifin and could re-sign Fobert for their left side.

That’s with Brodie and Gustaffson not being re-signed and we don’t know their thoughts there.

88. OriginalPouzar says:

The issue is the likelihood of trading Russell without taking back a bad contract or retaining a material portion seems very slim.

Ryan, while maybe better suited to a 4C role more suited to the 3C role than any current option (Khaira, Haas, Sheahan re-signed) so the trade should improve the team with little cap impact.

There is dept to replace Russell which could improve the team right there (yes, Russell has some skills, such as the PK, that would be lost but Russell to Jones arguably makes the team better) and Ryan improves the 3rd line over Sheahan.

It is far from perfect but that type of trade is probably the most likely with Russell.

Its not that much different than the Lucic – Neal deal – bad contract for bad contract.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny:
    Tyler Seguin makes $9.850 AAV.

Yup, I can see Hall signing for in the $7.5M range, in particular with his comments today.

He may still look for term but he could very well sign 1 X $7.5M to win a cup in Colorado – I could see that.

90. Harpers Hair says:

Hall replaces Burakovsky $3.75 million
    Barrie retained salary $2.75 million
    Oorpik buyout $1.5 million

Total $8 million.

Sakic could do this without breaking a sweat…if he wants to.

91. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: 100% I’d move Russell for Ryan and, of course, a destination that we can be fairly sure Rusty would agree to.

Absolutely, the Flames might not be interested. It’s hard to know.

But from their POV, they’d be moving their 4C to add a veteran defenseman who can help on the PK and play both sides. They have 1 RD signed currently.

I don’t think it’s unlikely they’d have interested in Russell for Ryan.

92. Glovjuice says:

When was the last time the Oilers made a “fun”, “exciting” trade that worked out well (e.g., Kadri/Barrie for the AVs) ? I’ll admit; I actually was semi excited about the Eberle / Strome trade with the cap savings included in my analysis. But, seriously, I can’t think of one since the cup run. I mean the Flames Hamilton trade, is another great example getting two solid players. The Oilers seem destined to never make a good “biggish” trade. It really is the water.

93. leadfarmer says:

Avs are notorious penny pinchers and their tv network altitude sports hasn’t been available in the vast majority of Denver households due to contract issues. Hard to market your team
    They Will just do not spend to the cap
    Maybe they splurge for a year but makar then needs a contract the next year

94. leadfarmer says:

It will be interesting to see how many teams slash salary and remain far below salary cap. Some of these owners will not spend their own money.

95. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: On that note, I assume you’ve seen the video of Tkachuk’s reaction?

I hope he cried! Real tough doesn’t turtle!

96. OriginalPouzar says:

Glovjuice:

Milan Lucic for James Neal – notwithstanding Bruce McCurdy

Does 3 picks for Talbot count – we were excited about getting Talbot and he had a couple good years.

Does Gernat and a mid-pick for Maroon count? Wasn’t “exciting” at the time but worked out.

Magnus PRV for David Perron

Before that, got to go back to the Lowe years and he made some massive trades within one season:

– Samsomov for Reasoner, Stasny and a pick (which happened to turn in to Lucic but still)
    – Rolosing for a first (Trevor Lewis) and a 3rd
    – Spachek for Tony Salmelainen
    – Peca for York and a depth pick
    – Pronger for Brewer, Woywitka, Lynch

Glovjuice:

I was pleased by the Ennis deal, impressed by the Lucic-Neal deal (still am), intrigued by the Maroon acquisition, thought the Kassian deal was risky but had great potential. The Perron acquisition was nifty.

98. Glovjuice says:

Harpers Hair:
    Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) Tweeted:

99. Gerta Rauss says:

The Beagle has landed

100. OriginalPouzar says:

pts2pndr: I hope he cried! Real tough doesn’t turtle!

101. OriginalPouzar says:

I would absolutely love Taylor Hall on this team for a contract at $7.5M or under.

He is the definition of a driver.

At the same time, he has been a point per game player two times in the last six seasons.

I’m not sure what my point is but i think his name recognition is greater than his production.

102. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar:

He is the definition of a driver.

You mean two out of his 3 seasons?
    He was injured last year but was over ppg
    Some guys don’t get to be on a Pastrnak Bergeron Marchand line or on a line with kutcherov. When you look at it he’s actually done well on some aweful teams
    I mean Nuge will probably cost 7 mil per and he’s never been a ppg player and he gets to hang out with Mcdavid and drai

Don’t underestimate the value of teammates I mean MacKinnon was a 50-60 point player until rantanen showed up.

103. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar:

He is the definition of a driver.

Would you though
    Would you really??
    Cause you’ve been hating on this player for years

104. yeraslob says:

Bohologo:
    Flames go home devastated!

(Yes, being an Oilers fan frequently means being unable to enjoy your team’s success, so happiness must be found in the misery of others [who, to be fair, entirely deserve their misery {schadenfreude FTW!}]).

Choked up a 3-goal lead to boot! Hahahaha…

105. yeraslob says:

dustrock:

That’s insane.

Same as always when they make the playoffs, Gaudy and Mona disappear. More of the same please, don’t change a thing Trev!

106. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: You mean two out of his 3 seasons?
    He was injured last year but was over ppg
    Some guys don’t get to be on a Pastrnak Bergeron Marchand line or on a line with kutcherov.When you look at it he’s actually done well on some aweful teams

2 out of the last 3 and 2 out of the last 6.

Not this past season, not even close.

Teammates matter of course.

Rantanan became a PPG player (and better) as he developed – teammates helped but so did developing as a pro player.

Hall is also likely at the end of his offensive peak as he heads towards 30. Yup, elite players can carry their prime’s longer and he’s likely already done that but, of course, his body has some miles on it, as we know.

He was far below a PPG this past season.

107. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: Would you though
    Would you really??
    Cause you’ve been hating on this player for years

I have never “hated on the player” – I have hated the notion of re-acquiring the player for his decline year with the contract i’ve anticipated him getting.

Huge difference.

Contracts are everything.

108. Ice Sage says:

Haven’t tuned in much since the hawks debacle but I’d watch a Colorado-Vegas conference final game – that promises to be gorgeous hockey.

109. Glovjuice says:

I throw out the Kadri and Hamilton deals as examples that we as Oilers fans never get to reap and OP and LT (yikes) come back with the Neal – Lucic deal. My goodness – I don’t know where to start.

110. Munny says:

I don’t care they’re the last Canadian team. I can’t cheer for the Canucks.

The Blues don’t look particularly hungry though.

S’Okay. I’m perfectly happy to cheer against the Canucks next round.

111. OriginalPouzar says:

Glovjuice:

Start with 8 goals in 6 games to start the season. It was a big trade and Neal sure provided fan excitement for a little bit.

112. Munny says:

Harpers Hair: There’s been talk of trading Faksa all season long in Dallas.

The Stars have highly rated prospect C Ty Dellandrea waiting in the wings.

Exactly. And I think he’s a better option than any mentioned. Not Haula maybe, but Haula comes with risk that he’s not the same after the horrific injury. I’d rather have the 26yo 6’3″ Czech, Cheap QO. Send them Khaira or whatever warm body makes their cap work.

I’m sure Dallas would rather have a quality pick and no salary, so maybe we can’t win an auction… but you still gotta see.

113. yeraslob says:

So the hapless flames get the unceremonious “thanks for showing up” first round boot yet again, lol. I’m pretty sure they lead the league in playoff participation ribbons during the last 3 decades.

Let’s recap… only TWICE past the first round in the last 31 years!

And counting…

114. Munny says:

jp: Yeah I don’t recall seeing it here but I’ve also been wrong before.

I remember it the same way. 1 – 1.5 with wonder if it would take the high number. Id someone said $2, I completely missed it. Wasn’t part of our convos.

115. OriginalPouzar says:

What would Buffalo be looking for in exchange for Ullmark and Montour?

Benning, Puljujarvi and _______

They probably don’t want Benning but they wouldn’t want Larsson either and that last piece would have to be a solid asset.

116. Munny says:

*begins deleting all the rosters that lacked Pujo’s presence*

I’m not sure how much I believe it. There could be a winking agreement that really this is all about helping Holland trade Pujo, and JP’s only coming back as a last resort.

There’s been so many twists and turns in this soap opera who knows where it ends up.

117. Munny says:

Please collapse, please collapse, please collapse….

118. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar: 2 out of the last 3 and 2 out of the last 6.

Not this past season, not even close.

Teammates matter of course.

Hall is also likely at the end of his offensive peak as he heads towards 30.Yup, elite players can carry their prime’s longer and he’s likely already done that but, of course, his body has some miles on it, as we know.

He was far below a PPG this past season.

Surely you realize that he played half the season on a team whose top scorer had 45 points
    The blue jackets in their expansion season had 2 50 point scorers

119. HT Joe says:

Glovjuice:

Funny… nobody is bringing up the Adam Larsson trade. Hmm…

120. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

Munny,

He’s my #1 target; aside from being a LC, he’s just about a perfect fit to slot in behind McDavid and Draisaitl long term. He fares pretty well under difficult minutes and I think there’s more offense there that could emerge over time (like Eller).

121. Scungilli Slushy says:

Hopefully the Oiler new pro scouts are taking advantage of seeing a lot of players without going anywhere.

It’s tough that Holland is challenged with bugs and flat caps, but capitalizing on this opportunity of the group viewing together over an extended time could end up a positive.

122. Scungilli Slushy says:

I still wonder if experienced vets that aren’t good at what currently is most important as the league has changed a bit the last few years, will provide more value than less experienced players with more skill and useful abilities.

At playoff time (meaning significant at bats and coaching at the NHL level) are they in trouble or further ahead?

I think further ahead.

If what isn’t good enough isn’t changed somehow, how can the team take a step?

The Avs and fabulous Dys let their ready but green skilled guys go.

Maybe the Oiler guys aren’t as good. But how cautious do you want to be?

Is Chiasson better than Benson? Russell Benning than Bouchard? Larsson as he is than Bear? Are Sheahan or Khaira better than Marody or McLeod?

Is not very good and experienced better than more talented and faster overall?

Is ineffective experience worth it, or going after upgrades and letting the good coaches they have working their butts off training the future?

I don’t see bringing young players into the bottom roster the same as throwing them to the wolves in the top half which is what happened in the past.

Especially when it seems options for experienced better players from outside are slim to buckleys.

123. Scungilli Slushy says:

Scungilli Slushy:

I think further ahead.

If what isn’t good enough isn’t changed somehow, how can the team take a step?

The Avs and fabulous Dys let their ready but green skilled guys go.

Maybe the Oiler guys aren’t as good. But how cautious do you want to be?

Is not very good and experienced better than more talented and faster overall?

Playoff time next season, the young guys having a bunch of games to improve reg season.

124. Munny says:

Spector’s Thoughts:

Over the next while, Holland will try to hammer out an NHL contract with Lehto. Puljujarvi’s entry-level contract has expired and the Oilers qualified him at $925,000 to retain his rights. Holland will likely try to get the player for as close to $1 million as possible, considering the team’s cap situation, with a handshake agreement that he will be traded if he cannot find success in Edmonton.

Spector’s saying that Pujo is going to come in at over $1mill here, otherwise he’d be saying that Holland will be trying for as close to the QO as possible.

I’d say we were right, JP. Now it just remains to be seen how well Holland does at keeping it as close to $1 mill as possible. Obviously if you’re Holland you’d be playing the You-want-to-be-tradeable-right? card, and Lehto will be going with the You-want-us-to-come-right? defense.

Will be interesting to see the number, but I’d say Holland’s position is slightly stronger now that he has extracted a desire to return.

125. Munny says:

Scungilli Slushy: opportunity of the group viewing together

I doubt they are viewing anything together during the Covid Epoch.

126. Harpers Hair says:

Munny: Exactly.And I think he’s a better option than any mentioned.Not Haula maybe, but Haula comes with risk that he’s not the same after the horrific injury.I’d rather have the 26yo 6’3″ Czech,Cheap QO.Send them Khaira or whatever warm body makes their cap work.

They likely wouldn’t want salary back and I doubt they would have any use for any of the Oilers bottom six.

Maybe a B defensive prospect.

The Oiler have about 47 of those.

127. Munny says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual:
    Munny,

Good target. Wish he was a little better on the dot, and a rightie, but if we can get him in a cap dump he comes at an ideal age and probably a great cap hit. I was looking at his Woodmoneys two nights ago and they were beautiful.

128. Munny says:

Harpers Hair: Maybe a B defensive prospect.

Samorukov’s name did go though my head, but that’s only enough if they know him and like him. Gotta try though. I don’t see the Oilers making either of their 2nd round forwards available. Although if you’re getting Faksa and they want McLeod, why not?

I could see Khaira having a shot since they’d be losing a PKer and some size, plus he can play center or wing. He’s only 400k more than a call-up, and I think Dallas fees like they’re in a “window”.

129. Scungilli Slushy says:

Munny: I doubt they are viewing anything together during the Covid Epoch.

In one city able to meet often.

130. Harpers Hair says:

Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) Tweeted:
    Canada’s team, the Vancouver Canucks, impressively into the second round. Again, I’m seeing a little 2009 young Blackhawks in this Canucks squad.

131. Scungilli Slushy says:

Munny: Samorukov’s name did go though my head, but that’s only enough if they know him and like him. Gotta try though. I don’t see the Oilers making either of their 2nd round forwards available.Although if you’re getting Faksa and they want McLeod, why not?

I could see Khaira having a shot since they’d be losing a PKer and some size, plus he can play center or wing.He’s only 400k more than a call-up, and I think Dallas fees like they’re in a “window”.

Samu is one I’d keep. Bro replaces Klef, Samu replaces Nurse. By player type.

Teams have asked about Samu, a bad sign for Oiler fans. At least in the past when they couldn’t see their own gems.

132. Munny says:

Scungilli Slushy,

I could be wrong, but are the members of the Oiler’s office in one city? I’d think that the one’s responsible for viewing at least would be in their own homes watching feeds like the reporters, radio pbp, etc. Especially since they’ve left the bubble. Everything, where possible, is work from home now.

133. Scungilli Slushy says:

Munny:
    Scungilli Slushy,

I could be wrong, but are the members of the Oiler’s office in one city?I’d think that the one’s responsible for viewing at least would be in their own homes watching feeds like the reporters, radio pbp, etc.Especially since they’ve left the bubble.Everything, where possible, is work from home now.

I’m sure you are correct

134. jp says:

Munny:
    Spector’s Thoughts:

I’d say we were right, JP.Now it just remains to be seen how well Holland does at keeping it as close to $1 mill as possible.Obviously if you’re Holland you’d be playing the You-want-to-be-tradeable-right? card, and Lehto will be going with the You-want-us-to-come-right? defense.

Pretty cool Holland has seemingly pulled this off (assuming he seals the deal).

135. jp says:

Harpers Hair:
    Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) Tweeted:

OMG, is this the year? Are they finally going to do it?

136. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

jp: Yeah there wouldn’t be a lot to hammer out if he were willing to sign near the QO/under $1M. Hope the number isn’t too high.

Pretty cool Holland has seemingly pulled this off (assuming he seals the deal).

137. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

jp: OMG, is this the year? Are they finally going to do it?

138. jp says:

Scungilli Slushy: Samu is one I’d keep. Bro replaces Klef, Samu replaces Nurse. By player type.

I *think* Faksa is 1 year from UFA.

I’d gladly trade Samorukov for him if he were willing to sign for 2 or 3 years at a number close to his QO ($2.4M).

He’s a quality NHL player. Samorukov *might* be a quality NHL player.

139. jp says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: If a handshake agreement is required wrt fit/success, he better be signing for the QO. I don’t trust JP or his agent. If he signs for closer to $1.5M and proceeds to try to work his way out of EDM, he won’t be worth shit in trade.

If he bombs out in his return he won’t be worth shit regardless his cap number. And I may be naive but I have zero concern about him re-signing in order to work his way out of the org.

140. jp says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: No, no it’s not. Relax. They’ll never get past COL/VGN this year. That franchise hasn’t earned it yet. Give them another 20 or 30 years to smooth the rough edges.

2nd longest current drought. It’s pretty exciting.

141. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair:
    Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) Tweeted:

Canada’s squad
    As in you can make a lot of money betting against Canadian teams in the playoffs
    Is that what they mean by Canada’s squad?

142. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:

2 out of the last 3 and 2 out of the last 6.

I had a look. Because that’s the kind of thing I do.

But also because I’ve been kind of annoyed at your always using the worst possible window to look at Hall.

2 of 6. Yes, true

2 of 3. Yup.

4 of 8. Also yes.

Anyway, in the last 6 seasons 25 NHL players have scored 1.0 PPG or more twice (that’s including Hall). Seguin also did it twice, for whatever that’s worth.

The full list of players who scored 1 PPG MORE than twice in the past 6 seasons is:
    Crosby (6)
    Kane (5)
    Kucherov (4)
    MacKinnon (3)
    Malkin (6)
    Marchand (4)
    Matthews (3)
    McDavid (5)
    Ovechkin (3)
    Panarin (3)
    Scheifele (4)
    Stamkos (3)
    Tavares (3)

Rare air.

How many players scored 1.0+ PPG 4 of the past 8 years?
    Crosby (8)
    Giroux (4)
    Hall (4)
    Kane (7)
    Kucherov (4)
    Malkin (8)
    Marchand (4)
    McDavid (5)
    Ovechkin (5)
    Scheifele (4)
    Stamkos (5)
    Tavares (4)

That’s 12 players including Hall. (also, Holy Hell Crosby and Malkin)

I get not wanting to pay a premium for his declining years, but you seem to consistently deny that he’s a fairly special player. I dunno.

143. Munny says:

jp: If he does sign you’d think it means a veteran making $1.5M or more is headed out – so Puljujarvi should still help the teams cap situation. Hopefully.

Kassian and Chiasson shouldn’t be sleeping as well as they were. Not sure Chiasson can be traded w/o retaned in Covid World, but we’ll see. If it’s Kass, who should bring a decent draft pick, then the cap savings are sgnificant and I can see AA getting re-signed and/or a run at Haula.

jp: Pretty cool Holland has seemingly pulled this off

No kidding.

144. Faustkarz says:

something, something time of hall and mcdavid when he was 18 or something

145. jp says:

Munny: Kassian and Chiasson shouldn’t be sleeping as well as they were.Not sure Chiasson can be traded w/o retaned in Covid World, but we’ll see.If it’s Kass, who should bring a decent draft pick, then the cap savings are sgnificant and I can see AA getting re-signed and/or a run at Haula.

I don’t think Holland will trade Kassian so soon after signing him. But I’m not certain.

I really don’t know what Holland’s going to do actually.

146. Faustkarz says:

jp,

Does Holland have a “sit on his hands” way out this off-season?

147. jp says:

Faustkarz,

It’s always an option, I think.

Doing nothing can absolutely be the best way. But people are impatient.

148. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: I had a look. Because that’s the kind of thing I do.

2 of 6. Yes, true

Ovechkin (3)
    Panarin (3)
    Scheifele (4)
    Stamkos (3)
    Tavares (3)

Rare air.

How many players scored 1.0+ PPG 4 of the past 8 years?
    Crosby (8)
    Giroux (4)
    Hall (4)
    Kane (7)
    Kucherov (4)
    Malkin (8)
    Marchand (4)
    McDavid (5)
    Ovechkin (5)
    Scheifele (4)
    Stamkos (5)
    Tavares (4)

That’s 12 players including Hall. (also, Holy Hell Crosby and Malkin)

I’ve never denied him being a “special player” – I’ve been against acquiring him for the his declining years at the contract I’ve presumed he will get.

Also of note, in only 2 out of those 4 PPG years was his point total “high” – in two of those years, they were based off of shortened seasons (37 in 33 games and 50 in 45 games).

Special talent for sure – he will be 29 when next season starts and has been over 65 points twice.

Would one expect increased or decreased production in his 30s?

As I said, I’d be happy to have him for $7.5M or less in the new cap era – 3 years max preferred.

I don’t think that $7.5M spend on a winger heading to his 30s is the best place to deploy that amount of resources but he’d be fun to have.

149. OriginalPouzar says:

No kidding.

Can Kassian’s new contract be traded in the flat cap?

It was very arguable that it was an over pay at the time and, since, he has been a ghost (actually, worse than a ghost, he hurt the team in the playoffs, had negative impact in regular season games, etc.) and, of course, Covid cap.

150. Ryan says:

OriginalPouzar: Can Kassian’s new contract be traded in the flat cap?

If you can find a team that had someone kicking sand in their face during the playoffs, there could be a market.

Still, that contract…

151. Ryan says:

jp:
    Faustkarz,

It’s always an option, I think.

Doing nothing can absolutely be the best way. But people are impatient.

We have an opportunity to wheel and deal after this upcoming season.

152. Ice Sage says:

Harpers Hair:
    Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) Tweeted:

Plan the parade!!!!
    errr…

153. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan: Unless we can pull off a miracle cap dump, I think another summer like last year (minus the Chiasson contract) makes sense given the cap constraints.

We have an opportunity to wheel and deal after this upcoming season.

154. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: Caveat to that last sentence: If no more Kassian type contracts are signed or buyouts.

The least to me is a functioning third line. That would make improvement, even if by simply allowing Connor and Leon to play normal minutes.

Less for the top 6 (more fresh) and for the fourth

155. jp says:

We have an opportunity to wheel and deal after this upcoming season.

Yeah we’re likely in for a similar off season.

And honestly the next might not be much different if Nuge/Larsson are retained (new Yamamoto and likely Bear contracts would eat up the rest).

156. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Glovjuice: If y’all wanna know why I’m so negative about the shitty Oilers this is why. The day Hall Was traded was the end for me. Still a fan but fuck me why did we trade this player.

Because Peter Chiarelli is a very bad GM

157. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: Can Kassian’s new contract be traded in the flat cap?

Yes. Consensus at the time was the contract was eminently tradeable. He brings things Gms value and that hasn’t changed.

158. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Scungilli Slushy:

I think further ahead.

If what isn’t good enough isn’t changed somehow, how can the team take a step?

The Avs and fabulous Dys let their ready but green skilled guys go.

Maybe the Oiler guys aren’t as good. But how cautious do you want to be?

Is not very good and experienced better than more talented and faster overall?

This is tantalizing, and I generally agree. I think the team needs to see how the kids can perform in this lineup. Another factor is if there is an NHL season ca. Dec 2020, it does NOT look like there will be an AHL season at this time. This should put a little more pressure on to see how ripe the kids are.

The only caveat is they need a bit of cover, if after 20 games there are clear and obvious issues that require more time in a lesser league for further development. So I think there is enough budget cover for the Fs, just need another Benning type RD (and I think it should be the real Benning), then I think Benson, Marody and Bouch should get serious reps if they can perform at least as well as they have at the summer camp. This could be facilitated if there will be an extended roster and “taxi squad”.

159. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny: Yes.Consensus at the time was the contract was eminently tradeable.He brings things Gms value and that hasn’t changed.

Of course, things have changed since “the time”. A pandemic hit changing the presumed upper cap limit over the course of the contract – much lower. Just as importantly, Kassian was awful since he signed that contract, well, since before he signed that contract.