Where Is Everybody?

Ilya Konovalov was injured so unable to perform in a pre-season tournament in Sochi (Daniil Isayev filled in). Konovalov is reportedly fine and ready for the regular season with Lokomotiv. Yaroslavl’s first game in the regular season is September 3.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

JOAKIM NYGARD

He has been loaned to Farjestad BK in the SHL, a team he played seven seasons for before heading to the NHL. He’s a proven scorer at this level posting 21 in 52 SHL games during 2018-19.

TRADE TALK

Fussy Britches has been right in the past and this is an interesting item. The only player who fits is Andrew Cogliano, who can still skate at age 33 and has a contract ($3.25 million) with a season to go. He plays a substantial amount (34.2 percent of his five on five time) against elites according to Puck IQ, delivering 51.40 DFF% and a DFFRelCorsi of 3.4.

He’s not an offensive driver, posting 1.17 points-per-60 while playing with Blake Comeau and Radek Faksa. He went 68, 3-11-14 in 2019-20, those are all five on five numbers with a dozen (3-9-12) primary points. Cogliano-McDavid-Kassian? It’s one online rumor let’s all calm our various appendages. One thing I will say: This does suggest Ken Holland is interested in a two-way forward for the McDavid line, something I suggested here.

What would Dallas want? Well both Andrej Sekera and Roman Polak are unrestricted this summer, so Kris Russell, Adam Larsson or Matt Benning might be of interest. In every trade discussion this summer, I’m going to mention Andreas Athanasiou and Jesse Puljujarvi, although it sounds like JP might be signing here. I’ll also mention Alex Chiasson. Note: Some of these names would require a pick to be added imo, we’re just blue sky here.

IS THIS IDEAL?

Of course not, but then again not every solution is going to be from the “A” list. A year ago, Holland’s solutions were:

• James Neal for goals and getting out from under the Milan Lucic deal.
  • Alex Chiasson for a veteran winger with some offense.
  • Mike Smith as No. 1A starter.
  • Josh Archibald for 12-15 goals, a checking role and penalty killing.
  • Markus Granlund for 12-15 goals, a checking role and penalty killing.
  • Riley Sheahan for checking center and penalty kill.
  • Joakim Nygard to add speed and two-way play into the top-9 forwards.
  • Tomas Jurco as a possible top-9 forward solution.
  • Gaetan Haas as a long shot checking center.
  • Patrick Russell as a low event fourth line checker.

HOLLAND’S 2020-21 LIST

He’s already underway of course, trading for Andreas Athanasiou was clearly a 2020-21 transaction. Here are the items I think Holland will look at this offseason:

• No. 1A goalie option. Suspect a free agent, from Holtby to Greiss.
  • Top 4-RHD. I do think Larsson is a candidate for trade, and Holland will need to replace him. Mike Green might have been an option, I think Sami Vatanen or Tyson Barrie might fit here.
  • Two-way winger for McDavid’s line. Andrew Cogliano fits here.
  • No. 3 center. Extremely difficult to find.

Holland’s solutions a year ago helped Edmonton to finish second in the Pacific Division in 2019-20. The Oilers system delivered three exceptional talents (Ethan Bear, Kailer Yamamoto, Caleb Jones) who pushed the team to greater heights. I believe Evan Bouchard, Tyler Benson and William Lagesson can and should have an impact on the 2020-21 campaign, although not at the Bear-Yamamoto-Jones level.

170 Responses to "Where Is Everybody?"

1. flea says:

Watching Vancouver win it’s pretty obvious how important a solid goalie is in the playoffs. No idea on the stats but I watched the Blues dominate large sections of that series, only for their goalie to let in a stinker.

Vancouver played well too, but I think goaltending was the difference in that series.

Lots of good options this summer, gotta try to get one of them to play for the Oilers.

2. oilfan9911 says:

Question: outside of that one Canada day where “she” was clearly ahead of the curve, has anything that Fussy Britches suggested since come to fruition?

3. Munny says:

Wonder what Robert Nilsson is up to these days…

4. Death By Misadventure says:

If Adam Larsson’s back can’t be trusted to hold up over a 4 game series, how is it supposed to hold up for 82 games, and then, hopefully, a long playoff run?

Russell isn’t going anywhere. His $4m cap hit has no value with most teams cash strapped and capped out.

The play is therefore to trade Larsson while you can even if it’s for a couple of mid round picks.

This is not ideal but it is what it is. One year of RHD Bear, Bouchard, and Benning is what’s in the cards.

Book it!

5. Munny says:

Her britches don’t seem to be particularly fussy from where I’m sitting…

6. Death By Misadventure says:

oilfan9911:

None. That was the only one as far as I recall.

7. dessert1111 says:

I agree with the needs list, though I think another D might be a luxury. Goalie is the one that’s an absolute necessity, followed by 3C and a skilled winger.

For trade chips, I’m counting Chiasson, Russell (no value but not necessarily negative value), Neal, Kassian (negative value), Larsson (a bit of value) and Nurse/Klefbom (high value).

I try to move on from Chiasson, Russell and Larsson this summer and Nurse (before he has to be protected) and one of Neal or Kassian next summer.

I think the holes are fillable 12 months from now but it would take some magic or luck to fill them all this summer.

8. Woogie63 says:

There is lots of stress on $3.0M for AA, 27 year old, proven 15-20 goal scorer.

I can’t see McDavid’s agent aligning with his agent getting worse line mates than Driasaitl is gifted.

9. Death By Misadventure says:

I think the play for this offseason is to mostly keep the powder dry. 2020-21 season is a huge question mark and major unknowns about the cap, expension draft, AHL playing etc.

Don’t buy out Neal, don’t commit major money to a UFA, don’t trade big pieces from the current roster.

When things settle down after the 2020-21 season, when Neal has burned another years off his contract, Russell falls off the cap, etc and more clarity is had, then go for it.

10. Munny says:

Woogie63: Cogliano is going to cost a NHL defenseman AND a draft pick? 33 years old $3.25M contract who delivered 14 points, to be a one year solution for a McDavid line?

I will lose my shit uf that’s the way it shakes down.

Trading Cogs would sheerly be a cap dump for the Stars with few outs for them as far as other dance partners go… and we’re going to pay for the pleasure? For Cogliano? At 3.25?

Lunacy.

11. Ryan says:

There’s plenty of old axioms that have been lost in the thought process in discussions here.

We used to collectively obsess over the salary structure of the team.

I am asking, where is that obsession now, lol?

There was an axiom that the forth line should cost absolutely nothing while playing low event hockey. Ideally, these players should be serviceable on the PK.

Teams like Tampa still adhere to that…

Our salary structure has some issues with overpaid vets in the bottom six.

I think AA is too expensive for the 3L position…

Another favorite lost axiom of mine pertained to goaltending.

You either pay for an elite goalie or you go cheap as possible to create cap advantages elsewhere on the roster.

The idea being that there’s an inefficiency in which teams vastly overpay for average goaltending.

Hello Koskinen.

12. Munny says:

Munny: uf

*Finnish for “if”.

13. JimmyV1965 says:

Munny: I will lose my shit uf that’s the way it shakes down.

Trading Cogs would sheerly be a cap dump for the Stars with few outs for them as far as other dance partners go… and we’re going to pay for the pleasure?For Cogliano?At 3.25?

Lunacy.

Trading for Cogliano would mean moving someone like Russell. No one is giving up actual assets for Cogs now.

14. leadfarmer says:

Cogliano for Russell. Ok I can live with that
    Anything else heck no with that contract
    If you find yourself in cap hell stop digging deeper

Woogie63:
    Cogliano is going to cost a NHL defenseman AND a draft pick?33 years old $3.25M contract who delivered 14 points, to be a one year solution for a McDavid line?

There is lots of stress on $3.0M for AA, 27 year old, proven 15-20 goal scorer.

Some of those names would require a draft pick sent, others a draft pick arriving. If you’re trading Athanasiou, then Cogliano is shy. As an example.

16. Munny says:

JimmyV1965: so Kris Russell, Adam Larsson or Matt Benning might be of interest. In every trade discussion this summer, I’m going to mention Andreas Athanasiou and Jesse Puljujarvi, although it sounds like JP might be signing here. I’ll also mention Alex Chiasson. Note: Some of these names would require a pick to be added imo, we’re just blue sky here.

Did you read the article?

And my response was to Woogie: a dman and a pick was his rumination. I’m pointing out that I don’t like that. Do you?

17. Munny says:

Six team no trade list for Cogliano… the player who finished 15th in Stars scoring, behind luminaries Corey Perry, Dickinson, Comeau, Janmark, three defensemen,..

18. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

flea:

Yes. There are some viable options, not Holtby please and thank you.

19. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Munny:
    Her britches don’t seem to be particularly fussy from where I’m sitting…

A tad distracting.

20. Beat It Square says:

I wonder if she might mean David Perron?

21. Munny says:

Lowetide: Some of those names would require a draft pick sent

i can’t see a single name listed where I would add a draft pick to acquire Cogliano. I think it would be madness for our Gm to do so.

22. Munny says:

Beat It Square:
    I wonder if she might mean David Perron?

Now that I check the time stamp on the Tweet, that fits.

23. Munny says:

Perron is $4 mill for two more seasons, has a 5 team NTC.

24. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Woogie63:

There is lots of stress on $3.0M for AA, 27 year old, proven 15-20 goal scorer.

Yeah, that leaves kind of a fecal taste in my mouth. I like the player, but not that much. Wouldn’t Ennis at 1.2-ish be a better option to have in the mix?
    I am down with LT’s suggestion for “2 way wingers” for McD but I think they have to aim a little higher….

25. dustrock says:

oilfan9911:

She definitely called Jokinen to LA for Cammalleri right before it happened and that wasn’t a rumor anywhere.

Munny: Now that I check the time stamp on the Tweet, that fits.

No, it doesn’t.

27. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Ryan:

We used to collectively obsess over the salary structure of the team.

I am asking, where is that obsession now, lol?

Teams like Tampa still adhere to that…

Our salary structure has some issues with overpaid vets in the bottom six.

I think AA is too expensive for the 3L position…

Another favorite lost axiom of mine pertained to goaltending.

Hello Koskinen.

I am not totally advocating AA as 3LW but slight overpay for wingers on the 3rd line to compensate a less than ideal 3C shouldn’t be out of question, particularly if the 3Ws can have spot time in the top 6.

I agree the Oilers have not been able to figure out goaltending for about 20 years, and the other night I posted some stats highlighting their propensity to drop it like its cold as soon as the boat rocks a little bit with respect to Cam Talbot and Devan Dubnyk. They seem to overpay for middling goaltending rather than make one of the choices you suggest…

Woogie63:

Crosby has always let Malkin have the better wingers.

Taking Nugent-Hopkins away from Draisaitl cost the Oilers the play-in round.

Nugent-Hopkins is a better fit with Draisaitl, because his offensive skills are maximized.

McDavid needs less gifted wingers, because he needs guys to do the checking and play the 200-ft game that he doesn’t.

29. Woogie63 says:

godot10: Crosby has always let Malkin have the better wingers.

Taking Nugent-Hopkins away from Draisaitl cost the Oilers the play-in round.

I liked 93-29-56 as well.

McDavid deserves and his agent will demand a more complete line for his client. Kassian has “fallen asleep” for big parts of the season every year he has played – maybe you can’t be that rumbustious every game, but …. 44 is ultimately a part-time power forward, and who on the other wing? Orr will demand nice things for his client.

30. Clarkenstein says:

godot10: Crosby has always let Malkin have the better wingers.

Taking Nugent-Hopkins away from Draisaitl cost the Oilers the play-in round.

31. Clarkenstein says:

Four sentences here… all 100% correct.
    We’re down to a Cogliano rumour about coming back here? LT consider this a reprimand. Next time could result in suspension!!

Clarkenstein:
    Four sentences here… all 100% correct.
    We’re down to a Cogliano rumour about coming back here? LT consider this a reprimand.Next time could result in suspension!!

lol. Stay tuned tomorrow for a piece on Marc Pouliot’s return!!

33. Glovjuice says:

Crosby – Mozart level. As is McDavid. Well maybe Beethoven. Not so sure though as Crosby and McDavid have accomplished massive amounts at a young age like Mozart (he died at 35). And, the Oilers are fucking it up. Anyway, heading to William A. Switzer and Rock Lake tomorrow (Rock lake is a journey so can’t wait for our six-year old to experience it). As good as Alberta gets for epic lake experiences.

34. leadfarmer says:

Perron would be very nice.
    Don’t know why St. Louis trades him unless Pietrangelo is gone Tarasenkos shoulder fell off for good and Oreilly is unhappy again and they say screw it all
    But a guy can dream

35. OriginalPouzar says:

KHL starts in like less than two weeks – Maksimov, Samorukov, Konovalov – can Denezhkin work his way and get a call up during the season?

SHL exhibition underway – so many to keep aprised of – Berglund, Broberg, Nygard, Lavoie (hopefully).

Liiga exhibition rolling – Puljujarvi, Niemalainan

At least we’ll have some Oiler hockey to keep appraised of this fall/early winter.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Fussy Britches has been right in the past.

Fussy Britches has been wrong so many more times than right – so many – I put little regard.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

I would be just fine with Cogliano and Kassian as wingers on an Oilers’ line – not the first line – the third line.

Cogs is a defensive specialist now that adds speed. I would rather have Nygard, Benson, AA, etc. on McDavid’s left wing than Cogliano. I would rather have Neal given at bats there than Cogliano.

I would rather try Benson/McDavid/Puljujarvi than Cogliano.

38. Fuge Udvar says:

Hopefully the conversation starts at Cogliano and finishes at Faksa. He could anchor a 3rd line with a couple skill wingers. He came in 7th for Selke voting a couple years ago

39. OriginalPouzar says:

McCurdy mentioned Kris Russell for Rantta and, if Rusty is willing, that does make some sense.

Arizona has Hill to fill in as back up and I think they will try and move Hjalmarsson and his $5M cap hit.

Rusty could fill their 3LD hole, cap neutral with Rannta, but for lower cash outlay.

40. Pescador says:

Munny:
    Perron is $4 mill for two more seasons, has a 5 team NTC.

I’ll guess:
    Edm, Cgy, Buff, Ott, Wpg.
    Possible alternates Fla Minn

41. Beat It Square says:

My mistake. Sorry gents.

42. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar:

That was my suggestion from a few weeks ago
    Don’t see Raanta returning to the Coyotes
    They will try and shed salary

43. dessert1111 says:

Taylor Fedun, on his fifth NHL team where he splits time between majors and minors, often moreso the latter, is playing third pair on a team in the second round.

I still remember hearing a yell as I watched him be tripped awkwardly on that icing race. Good for him to have come back all this way and keep going. I hope he makes it to 200 NHL games before he’s done.

dessert1111:

Me too. Bob Nystrom’s boy caught him with a terrible hit. Foolish play by the younger Nystrom.

45. Harpers Hair says:

Interesting that 7 of the top 10 playoff scoring leaders are 24 or under.

Who suggested the best ones arrive early?

46. Ryan says:

flea: Vancouver

I started looking at the bottom six and bottom pairing to see the soft under belly of the Canucks.

Adam Gaudette is listed as their 3rd line centre. 5th round draft pick from 2015!!! Right handed!!!

12 goals and 33 points in 59 games. Woodmoney suggest he’s sheltered.

That’s a nice 3c for $917k

Potato, who’s laughing now?

Rousel and Sutter flanking Gaudette, both have terrible contracts. $3m cap for Rousel (2 more years left to run) and $4.375 (1 more year left).

The 4C is the $3m Beagle two more years left to run on his contract. He is already 34. That’s a stinker of a contract

Motte and Virtanen are priced appropriately for a 4rth line. Virtanen is certainly value for $1.25 m

Certainly problem contracts:

Eriksson $6 m x 2 more years
    Beagle $3m x 2 more years
    Rousel $3m x 2 more years
    Sutter $4.375 x 1 more year
    Baertschi $2.29

That’s $18.7m in boat anchor contracts

They’re sure lucky they have both Peterson at $925 + bonuses on his ELC and Hughes at $917 + bonuses on his ELC.

If Vancouver had been so aggressive signing all of those stupid contracts (Beagle, Rousel, and Eriksson), they’d be cooking with gas next season.

47. Ryan says:

Ryan,

oh I miss that edit button.

* If Vancouver hadn’t been so aggressive…

48. Material Elvis says:

Harpers Hair:
    Interesting that 7 of the top 10 playoff scoring leaders are 24 or under.

Who suggested the best ones arrive early?

I’ll guess LT…

49. Material Elvis says:

Harpers Hair,

Or Woodguy. Can’t forget Ricki! That guy has thought of *everything* first.

50. yeraslob says:

I’m having trouble finding the speedy forwards on that Dallas team. We know Gio went from regular season Norris form to playoff pylon last year courtesy of McKinnon, but who exposed him this time? Or has he just stayed a pylon since then and now routinely gets walked?

51. JimmyV1965 says:

Munny: Did you read the article?

And my response was to Woogie:a dman and a pick was his rumination.I’m pointing out that I don’t like that.Do you?

What I am saying is no one is giving up an actual asset for Cogliano. That’s all.

52. Oilman99 says:

Woogie63,
    $3.25M for a 14 point 33 year old makes no sense at all. The guy has never been a #1 line player so why would he be now?

53. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

yeraslob,

Gurianov, Hintz, Cogliano, Janmark, and Dickinson are all pretty fast if memory serves. Then they have perhaps the best skating blueliner in the league in Heiskanen.

54. Oilman99 says:

Harpers Hair:
    Interesting that 7 of the top 10 playoff scoring leaders are 24 or under.

Who suggested the best ones arrive early?

Oilman99:
    Woogie63,

Edmonton needs to suppress offense while McDavid is on the ice. He can create with a garbage can on one wing and an old brown shoe on the other.

Cogliano might be an old brown shoe, but he contributes to shot and goal suppression. That has value.

56. Harpers Hair says:

Ryan: I don’t pay much attention to Vancouver, but it’s interesting to look at their lines.

12 goals and 33 points in 59 games. Woodmoney suggest he’s sheltered.

That’s a nice 3c for $917k

Potato, who’s laughing now?

Certainly problem contracts:

Eriksson $6 m x 2 more years
    Beagle $3m x 2 more years
    Rousel $3m x 2 more years
    Sutter $4.375 x 1 more year
    Baertschi $2.29

That’s $18.7m in boat anchor contracts

Interesting that both Beagle and Sutter had two points each last night.

Guess that speaks to veteran depth for the playoffs (despite the high prices paid).

While they have a tough cap situation next season, those contracts drop off just in time to accommodate new contracts for the young stars when the new crop of young players should arrive.

I expect they will try and move Sutter this offseason (he has been fabulous in the playoffs), Eriksson is an easy buyout after next season and they may find a way to make Baertschi go away.

57. Ryan says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: Good points. When you’re trying to piece together Humpty Dumpty for a year or so, I think looking at line costs, rather than individual player costs should be a consideration when looking at salary. In an ideal situation we know where one wants to spend the money: Top 6, 3C, Top 4 D 1AAA goalie. While we should start as we mean to go, I am not sure the ideal fit for 3C is there this year (unless Ryan Strome wants to come back). Ha.Ha.Ha.Sniff.

Agreed.

The way to think about it though is not just where to spend the money, but where specifically not to spend the money.

If we can trust daily faceoff…

Tampa Bay:

(bottom two lines)

Goodrow ($925k) – Gorde ($5.17m) – Coleman ($1.8) | total = $7.9 m
    Maroon ($900k) – Stephens ($833k) – Paquette ($1.65m) | total = $3.3 m

Their second line centre, Cirelli on an ELC faces most of the Elite comp (Woodmoney).

They’re getting extreme value with Cirelli. I can see why he’d be an offer sheet target.

For Blue, they have Sergachev on an ELC which helps immensely though they seem to use him and Shattenkirk at the sheltered offensive pairing.

They only spend money on Hedman ($7.9m) and Mcdonagh ($6.750m until the end of time)

goalies. last year of Vasilevsky at $3.5 m (next year $9.5m)
    Mcelhinney ($1.3m)

– Cheap out on backup
    – Spend nothing on 4rth line
    – Big dollars on their 3c if we can trust daily faceoff.
    – I’ve heard anecdotally that the Coleman/Goodrow line was one of their best in the playoffs.
    – mostly thrifty on 3rd line wingers

Harpers Hair: Interesting that both Beagle and Sutter had two points each last night.

They’re both dreadful hockey players.

59. Barcs says:

Woogie63: I liked 93-29-56 as well.

McDavid deserves and his agent will demand a more complete line for his client.Kassian has “fallen asleep” for big parts of the season every year he has played – maybe you can’t be that rumbustious every game, but …. 44 is ultimately a part-time power forward, and who on the other wing?Orr will demand nice things for his client.

I think between Kassian, JP, and Ennis there should always be a fairly skilled right winger for McD. Cheap too.

60. Barcs says:

Archibald has looked serviceable there too sometimes, now that I think about it.

61. Victoria Oil says:

I could get on board with a Russell for Cogs trade straight up. Oilers would move their 7D (likely next year) for an everyday forward and save $750k in cap space. Not sure, though, what the Stars would get besides saving $1.75 mln in real dollars. Maybe they think Krusty could fight for 3rd pairing time with Stephen Johns, Fedun and Penny’s brother.

62. RonnieB says:

My target for Connor’s RW has the same first name and plays in a national capital city. As a team with a lot of youngsters and many more on the way, I wonder if they would be interested in ZK for protection. They look to be shy on RHD so maybe Larsson or Benning?

63. Ryan says:

Ryan,

I planned to do the same for other teams, but it’s more time consuming that I had originally anticipated.

Boston’s 4rth line:

Nordstrom – Lindholm – Wagner. $3.1 m

3 c – Coyle – $3.2m then $5.25

Kuraly $1.275 and Studnika is on ELC.

Surprised to see how much good teams spend on 3c.

Bottom pairing is

Grezlcyk $1.4 m – Clifton ELC

Halak at $2.75 is a fairly pricey backup for a $7m starter

but then you have the ageless Chara at a $2m cap on the top pair

64. Barcs says:

Dallas paid a fairly hefty price for KR at the deadline a few years ago and then didn’t re-sign him. Not too sure they would have interest.

65. OriginalPouzar says:

What does it cost to get Ullmark out of Buffalo?

Actually, what does it cost to get Ullmark and Montour out of Buffalo?

OriginalPouzar:
    What does it cost to get Ullmark out of Buffalo?

Actually, what does it cost to get Ullmark and Montour out of Buffalo?

According to this Montour rumors pertaining to not qualifying him are not correct.

Puck IQ has Montour playing second pair minutes against elites, he struggled but was not alone. Ullmark would be a nice 1A with Koskinen.

What would Buffalo want? Everything, including a replacement for Ullmark if they trade him.

67. Victoria Oil says:

Barcs:

68. leadfarmer says:

So other day were ragging on 20 year olds and today we’re claiming post draft year 6-7 as early development. Shocked not shocked

69. digger50 says:

I believe the Oilers don’t so
    Much need to know how to play as a team, as need to set lines and play as lines.

When they try to play the McDavid – Draisaitl game they have too many watchers andvtoo many players who can’t play that game. It’s too pretty. The other lines should be watching a Chicago “pucks on net” simple game and follow that template.

70. digger50 says:

Getting a good winger for McDavid also allows the other lines 3 and 4 to gel and find thier game. They have enough skill available right now in AA and Jessie P to form a dominant third line. The Center though has to be inexpensive. Who would fit? A vet who plays a regimented game? Or a youngster who will adapt to whatever those two puck carriers choose to do?

NEW for The Athletic: Examining Matt Benning’s future with the Edmonton Oilers. His on-ice outscoring five on five is quality, he brings a range of skills. He’s also rfa with arb and has value in trade. Here’s a look at an uncertain offseason.

72. leadfarmer says:

I’m excited for the bruins bolts series
    That’s a finals level matchup in the second round

73. RonnieB says:

OriginalPouzar:
    What does it cost to get Ullmark out of Buffalo?

Actually, what does it cost to get Ullmark and Montour out of Buffalo?

Montour (QO $3.525) and Ullmark (QO $1.325) are both arbitration-eligible and are likely due significant raises. Buffalo is reported to be cost-conscious going into next season so it would be very difficult for the Oilers to clear enough cap space for both of them. Buffalo is not in need of additional defensemen.

Pittsburg is also looking to reduce cash costs (not necessarily Cap space) and almost everyone short of Crosby and Malkin is up for grabs. I was thinking along the lines of Larsson + Russell + AA for Letang + Zucker which would save them about $4 million in cash outlay (assuming AA was going to be qualified at $3 mill) and would be an extra ~ $1.5 on the Oilers Cap. This probably wouldn’t work for Pittsburg unless they find a trade for one of their other $4 million LHD but since others are speculating i thought i’d throw this into the ether.

74. Harpers Hair says:

Victoria Oil: I’m not sure if they would be interested in him either. I was just thinking that the only ways I would take on Cogliano’s contract would be to move Russell (with up to 10% retained) or something involving Kassian or Neal (one can dream).

The Stars have LD Thomas Harley coming up.

He almost made the team out of camp but was sent back to junior where he was almost a PPG player.

I expect the flat cap and diminished revenues will see many teams accelerate the usage of their young prospects at the expense of overpaid veterans.

It’s a great time if you have a great prospect pool.

75. JimmyV1965 says:

Oilman99: We’ll see how that list looks after the next round where the going gets a lot tougher.

76. Reja says:

dustrock: She’s tied in with someone, u always thought maybe friends with Katz’s son (As per Garfield).

A tremendous amount of information over the decades has willingly been divulged in between the sheets.

77. Harpers Hair says:

JimmyV1965: LOL. 24 years old is not arriving early. Not even close. I think there’s three guys 21 year olds. They have arrived early. None of the others.

1) Elias Pettersson (21) Broke out at 20 when he won the Calder trophy.

2) Nathan MacKinnon (24) Broke out at 18 when he won the Calder trophy. Supernova at 22.

3) Sebastian Aho (23) More than a PPG when he was 21

4) Miro Heiskanen (21). Do I need to explain this to you?

7) Brayden Point (24) Broke out at 22 (not bad for a third round pick)

9) Pierre- Luc Dubois (22) 20 goal scorer at 19 and better every season

10) Mikko Rantanen (23) Impact player at 21.

None of these players spent time meandering in the AHL…they were quality right out of the box.

As someone here is fond of saying, if you haven’t arrived by the age of 22, it’s likely you have issues.

78. who says:

digger50:

Maybe Haas or Marody fit as well as anyone.

79. who says:

Hard no to Cogliano, especially on Mcdavids wing. Unless Dallas is taking Kris Russell in return.
    I keep coming back to Montreal as a good trade partner. Montreal has an abundance of left wingers and right shot dmen. Edmonton has an abundance of left shot dmen.
    I know it’s a year too early to trade Klefbom or Nurse, but otherwise there should be a match there.

80. who says:

For discussion purposes.
    Klefbom and Chiasson for Domi, Poehling, Fleury and a 2nd

81. Ryan says:

Ryan,

Next up Colorado.

When Joe ‘Money for Nothing’ Sakic calls you, let the call go to voicemail if you’re a GM.

I like the work of Jeff Gorton, but he sure got schooled on the Ryan Graves trade.

Bottom six:

Jost – Compher – Nichushkin – $5.24 m. Compher is $3.5 m centre and Jost is ELC

Calvert – Bellemare – Nieto – $6.625 m with Bellemare at $1.8 m

Bottom pair:

Johnson – Zadarov – $9.2m

Daily faceoff might be wrong here

By TOI/g, the 5/6 are Zadarov and Cole. This is supported by Woodmoneys too.

Zadarov and Cole cost $7.45m, so even good teams sometimes pay too much for defensemen

Graves playes 18:56 toi/g regular season for $735 k

Johnson is signed for $6m until the end of time and he’s already 32.

Girard plays the most toi/g and he’s at $728 k. Next year $5m.

Goalies

backup in Francouz of the Koskinen vs Francouz fame from the summer both were acquired from the KHL.

Francouz is $950k and goes up to a paltry $2m next season.

– Sakic has a cheap backup this season
    – He’s got 2 top four defensemen on ELCs plus one more on an extreme value deal
    – He has an unusually expensive 4rth line
    – He spends dollars for veteran defensemen.

Sakic doesn’t have too much innovation in his salary cap structure

Obviously, he has some great ELCs. He made some epically astute trades (Graves, Grubauer, Kadri, Burakovsky, and Girard).

Sakic’s trades are criminally good.

Kenny, if Sakic calls, just send the call to your voicemail.

He also found a great reclamation project on Nichushkin.

82. Harpers Hair says:

Ryan:
    Ryan,

Next up Colorado.

Bottom six:

Jost – Compher – Nichushkin – $5.24 m. Compher is $3.5 m centre and Jost is ELC

Calvert – Bellemare – Nieto – $6.625 m with Bellemare at $1.8 m

Bottom pair:

Johnson – Zadarov – $9.2m

Daily faceoff might be wrong here

By TOI/g, the5/6 are Zadarov and Cole. This is supported by Woodmoneys too.

Graves playes 18:56 toi/g regular season for $735 k

Johnson is signed for $6m until the end of time and he’s already 32.

Girard plays the most toi/g and he’s at $728 k. Next year $5m.

Goalies

Francouz is $950k and goes up to a paltry $2m next season.

– Sakic has a cheap backup this season
    – He’s got 2 top four defensemen on ELCs plus one more on an extreme value deal
    – He has an unusually expensive 4rth line
    – He spends dollars for veteran defensemen.

Sakic doesn’t have too much innovation in his salary cap structure

Sakic’s trades are criminally good.

Kenny, if Sakic calls, just send the call to your voicemail.

He also found a great reclamation project on Nichushkin.

83. JimmyV1965 says:

Harpers Hair: Since you seem to be having trouble grasping the concept, I’ll break it down even further for you.

1) Elias Pettersson (21) Broke out at 20 when he won the Calder trophy.

3) Sebastian Aho (23) More than a PPG when he was 21

4) Miro Heiskanen (21). Do I need to explain this to you?

7) Brayden Point (24) Broke out at 22 (not bad for a third round pick)

9) Pierre- Luc Dubois (22) 20 goal scorer at 19 and better every season

10) Mikko Rantanen (23) Impact player at 21.

This is what you said;

Interesting that 7 of the top 10 playoff scoring leaders are 24 or under. Who suggested the best ones arrive early?

This is what I was responding too.

84. barry.moore23 says:

Is this a safe place to ask what exactly was so offensive about what Milbury said ? Be gentle – Kennedy was president when I was born. Thanks guys and ladies.

85. OriginalPouzar says:

Woogie63: I liked 93-29-56 as well.

Nice things like the $100M contract and the the $13M he got on July 1?

Its a cap league and if a player is going to be the highest cap hit in the league (which he deserves to be), and by a wide margin, that just leaves less of the pie available to help support him.

86. Harpers Hair says:

JimmyV1965: This is what you said;

This is what I was responding too.

And they all arrived early….so…

87. leadfarmer says:

Elite players are elite early
    Except for all the ones that aren’t

88. Ryan says:

Harpers Hair: Worth noting that it’s likely Ian Cole and/or Zadorov could be replaced by Bowen Byram and Conor Timmons next season and both will be on ELCs.

Sakic doesn’t mind young nor small defensemen.

Even their number 1 dman by Toi/g is the grizzled 22-year-old vet Girard.

5’ 10” and a buck seventy.

Nice to have Byram in the batter’s box along with Timmons.

It’s like when you start getting tired of your six month old Huracan and the F8 Tributo is already on order.

barry.moore23:

In today’s society it is not acceptable to say misogynistic things.

A network employing someone who says those things in the current environment can’t continue to have that person represent them.

90. Munny says:

Victoria Oil: I could get on board with a Russell for Cogs trade straight up.

This is the deal that makes sense for the Oil.

91. buck yoakam says:

Harpers Hair,

God Bless the Prospect Pool…so nice to know you have such an incredible grasp …on that…or are you just dorkus macgee dressed up in big guys stuff?….

92. Munny says:

leadfarmer:
    I’m excited for the bruins bolts series
    That’s a finals level matchup in the second round

Dallas – Colorado isn’t at that level but should still be pretty fun to watch.

93. barry.moore23 says:

Lowetide: In today’s society it is not acceptable to say misogynistic things.

Yes I get that. What was misogynistic about what he said ? I guess maybe the whole thing went over my head. Saying “there are no female distractions in the bubble” is construed as misogynistic ? What if a female announcer had said the same thing about guys at a women’s world soccer tourney ? Hmmmm. OK. Well, go Lightning, I guess.

94. Woogie63 says:

OriginalPouzar: Nice things like the $100M contract and the the $13M he got on July 1?

Did I go like this… Connor once you sign that contract we not have enough left over to give you quality wingers… so you know …. ah…. so you should know that going in.

barry.moore23: Yes I get that. What was misogynistic about what he said ?

I don’t think we get to decide that anymore, my friend. I think that’s the sound of the earth moving underneath our feet. 🙂

Victoria Oil:

Nill passed on re-signing Russell once already after having paid a heavy price at a trade deadline for him. If Russell has let you down once already….fool me once, shame on you….fool me twice, shame on me.

97. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: He plays against tough competition and the results are rock solid. He can skate. His offense at five on five, while low, would obviously increase with 97.

I agree about the value that Cogs can provide.

I can’t agree that he should be an option on the top line because of the skills he provides.

I would value Cogliano on the 4th line – of course, not at his contract but if its in exchange for Kris Russel, sure.

barry.moore23: Yes I get that. What was misogynistic about what he said ?I guess maybe the whole thing went over my head. Saying “there are no female distractions in the bubble” is construed as misogynistic ? What if a female announcer had said the same thing about guys at a women’s world soccer tourney ? Hmmmm. OK. Well, go Lightning, I guess.

Does Millbury live in a world without iphones, ipads, and monster video monitors attached to gaming consoles?

99. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer:
    Elite players are elite early
    Except for all the ones that aren’t

So, let’s have a look at the top players from the regular season.

Draisaitl (24) 77 points at 21

Pettersson (21) Boom

Aho (23) Impact player at 19

Ovechkin (34) 52 goal rookie

Pacioretty (31) Slow start but exploded at 22

Stamkos (30) 95 points at 20

Josi (30) Impact D at 23

Crosby would have been on this list if not injured.

Other than Josi, this top 25 doesn’t include D who tend to take a little longer but the elite ones also arrive very early.

Josi, Webber, Karlsson, Hedman, Reilly, Pietrangelo, Hughes, Makar, Krug, Suter, Theodore, Burns, Letang, Werenski, Ekblad and Hamilton all popped by their 23 birthdays.

Now, are there a bunch of elite players who didn’t emerge early you want to discuss?

OriginalPouzar: I agree about the value that Cogs can provide.

All fair. Maybe I’ll have a run at two-way players who fit the target we’re discussing and might be available.

101. Harpers Hair says:

Munny: Dallas – Colorado isn’t at that level but should still be pretty fun to watch.

Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see how the Stars elite defensive game stacks up against the high flying Avalanche.

Another great matchup to watch would be a Vegas-Colorado conference final.

102. OriginalPouzar says:

Barcs:

Yup, serviceable there for a game or two – after that it becomes clearly apparent that he’s a bottom six player.

Your previous post mentioned Kassian and, in my opinion, he’s shown to be more that serviceable on McDavid’s right wing and has the ability to actually make the line better and help create offence. Of course, he has also shown to be wildly inconsistent and go through long stretches where he’s not only ineffective but hurts the team with mistakes.

Kassian is likely the 1RW option with the current roster but, really, this team is “good enough” when Kass and Archie as the 3RW and 4RW.

Can’t count on it but maybe it comes to fruition and works at some point in the year but Jesse Puljujarvi is the one internal option that could be a fix for term and not a bandaid. Maybe fantasy but it could happen sometime in the next 12 months:

RW depth:

Puljujarvi
    Yamamoto
    Kassian
    Archie
    Chiasson (moved for cap room to use on the 1B goalie perhaps)

Lavoie down the road.

Long long long darkshot: Cooper Marody!

103. leadfarmer says:

Claiming Dubois as elite talent while ignoring the fact that his only 50 point season was riding the coattails of a player who didn’t make the NHL until 24 is top notch DSFism
    He’s a fine young player but needs a couple more levels to be considered elite

104. pts2pndr says:

Death By Misadventure:

Book it!

On a one to ten scale of wrong way thinking this is an eleven. If he can’t play he goes on injury reserve and you use his cap space. If he can play he is value at cost. Two lottery tickets does you absolutely no good in the short term and best case is some help four years down the road.

105. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer:
    He’s a fine young player but needs a couple more levels to be considered elite

He played 80 games this season, his 21 year old season, and scored 59 points.

That’s without Panarin.

Just a reminder that Russians, by contract., CANNOT come to North America before their KHL contracts expire.

Panarin would kill it at any age.

106. OriginalPouzar says:

So the likes of the following showed themselves very early? Shocking:

MacKinnon – 1st overal
    Heiskanen – 3rd overal
    Dubois – 3rd overall
    Hughes – 7th overall
    Petterson – 5th overall

Wild revelation

107. pts2pndr says:

Death By Misadventure,

This Is what I believe is best for the team both long term and short term. Give Benson a shot and maybe even McLeod. Once the free agent frenzy is over sign the best of the remaining goalies to a one year low cap contract.

108. barry.moore23 says:

Lowetide: I don’t think we get to decide that anymore, my friend. I think that’s the sound of the earth moving underneath our feet.

You are a wise man. Thanks.

109. OriginalPouzar says:

I wonder if one year in the AHL, showing massive improvement in the 2nd half, being an all-star at 20 and having comparable seasons to a multitude of top pairing and top 4 d-men is “meandering”?

110. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: So, let’s have a look at the top players from the regular season.

Draisaitl (24) 77 points at 21

Pettersson (21) Boom

Aho (23) Impact player at 19

Ovechkin (34) 52 goal rookie

Pacioretty (31) Slow start but exploded at 22

Stamkos (30) 95 points at 20

Josi (30) Impact D at 23

Crosby would have been on this list if not injured.

Some of These are so ridiculously skewed it’s not funny. We’re talking age of elite ness
    Panarin didn’t hit NHL until 24
    Huberdeau wasn’t elite until 3 years ago
    Marchand didn’t become elite until 28
    Wheeler didn’t become elite until 28
    Zibanejad 25
    Giordano at least 27 and really didn’t hit eliteness until 30s
    Burns didn’t reach elite level until 29. He wasn’t even at a set position
    Byfuglien didn’t become elite until way past 24
    Carlson didn’t become elite until last 3 years
    Pavelski didn’t become elite until 29
    Couturier 25
    JT Miller

And that’s using age 24 as cut off which is post draft 6!!
    Even some of the elite lotto picks needed 200 NHL games to become elite like MacKinnon and Barkov

So elite players are elite early except for all the ones that aren’t

OriginalPouzar:

Nope. That sir is progress.

112. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: He played 80 games this season, his 21 year old season, and scored 59 points.

That’s without Panarin.

Panarin would kill it at any age.

Given that counting stopped at 49 points. That’s what he got.
    And what the heck are you talking about panarin
    He was so elite early on that no one drafted him.
    Your trolling is getting very lazy

113. pts2pndr says:

Lowetide: lol. Stay tuned tomorrow for a piece on Marc Pouliot’s return!!

OK That’s just mean.😉

114. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

I spent some time flipping through articles at the Athletic.
    Jon W. has an interesting take on RFAs and several teams having trouble (anxiety) with QOs and arbitration. Oh would it be nice to have cap space these days, as there will be discounts a plenty for the next 2-3 years. The main take away for me from that article was that patience could have payoffs this year. I take some comfort knowing KH is a patient man. I am now also convince that AA will have to <3M to stay here (if KH is even offering, e.g. 2.5 x 1 or 2). There could also be possibilities for trading RFA rights for RFA rights to balance rosters…

115. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair: And they all arrived early….so…

It is so nice to having you enlighten us! With your skill and brains I’m sure you could make money away from this site. Please give it a try!

116. leadfarmer says:

Martin St. Louis at 27
    Ray Whitney at 25
    Adam Oates 26-27
    Datsyuk 25
    zetterberg 25

117. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer:
    Martin St. Louis at 27
    Ray Whitney at 25
    Adam Oates 26-27
    Datsyuk 25
    zetterberg 25

It’s a young mans game now…and it’s accelerating every year. Try not to get left behind.

118. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer,

Counting stopped when he stopped playing.

10 points in 10 playoff games ain’t nothing…it’s elite.

119. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar:

It is until he can do it in the NHL…and being a second pairing D will NEVER be elite.

120. OriginalPouzar says:

I recall JT MIller “meandering” in the minors in to his draft plus 4 season. Now that was meandering – eventually becoming a top 6 winger.

121. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: That you have to reach back into the dark ages when the game was called bandy pretty much proves my point.

Just naming people of the top of my head
    As the originator of the name of the game is speed speed speed there’s been recent correction towards me.
    10 games is just what it is 10 games in a very strange circumstance
    I like the blue jackets and he’s a fine young player but he’s not a top 10 player in the league right now

122. Bling says:

Zibanejad took some time to establish himself as a star level player. So did Blake Wheeler.

Mark Stone broke out at 22 in a big way but was sub PPG in his first AHL season. Pacioretty played a half NHL season at 22.

Duncan Keith played 2 seasons in the AHL.

These are just off the top of my head. Of course, we’re missing players like Connolly, who aren’t stars but score goals at an elite clip at even strength.

123. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I recall JT MIller “meandering” in the minors in to his draft plus 4 season.Now that was meandering – eventually becoming a top 6 winger.

Yes he did.

And he credits Alain Vigneault with kicking him in the ass to reach his potential.

He’s now a very good player but not elite.

124. leadfarmer says:

Zdeno Chara also not elite before 24

Resident troll listing Joe Colborne top on his list is truly priceless

125. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: Yes he did.

He’s now a very good player but not elite.

You just said 10 points in 10 games as elite production
    Have some consistency man!!
    It’s only been 5 minutes

126. Harpers Hair says:

Bling:

Duncan Keith played 2 seasons in the AHL.

Yes and I noted most of them on my list.

Duncan Keith is 37 years old and started his career when the game was much different.

Pretty much my point.

127. leadfarmer says:

Dang what is it with avs goalies and groins

128. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Let’s see if Francouz can bring it.
    He is pretty sound technically (from what I have seen – IMO)

129. Scungilli Slushy says:

Death By Misadventure:

Book it!

What if a team wanted to trade similar cap hits it only had to pay at most 1.5M?

2.5M is a lot of cash especially now.

130. Material Elvis says:

Heiskenen just makes the game look so easy. Maybe Josi is better now, but not by much and not for long. He’s the best young D in the league; a level above Makar and Hughes.

131. OriginalPouzar says:

Giordano
    Josi
    Zibanejad
    Miller
    Wheeler
    Draisaitl
    Panarin

132. Klima's_Bucket says:

Riley Nash.

Is UFA Next year, former Oiler Draft pick. Right shot C.

Maybe that’s who fussy britches is thinking about and not Cogliano.

133. Munny says:

Material Elvis:
    Heiskenen just makes the game look so easy.Maybe Josi is better now, but not by much and not for long.He’s the best young D in the league; a level above Makar and Hughes.

Agreed 100 percent. Every young dman should be watching film of Miro. Makes it look so easy.

134. Munny says:

I’ll admit it. I love it every time they say “in Edmonton.”

135. Glovjuice says:

Caleb Jones is not an exceptional talent, fullstop.

136. Glovjuice says:

HH is schooling you all. Most of your counters are from a generation ago.

137. Munny says:

If anyone here has a wager on the avalanche, I’ve got some bad news for you.

138. Munny says:

Glovjuice:
    HH is schooling you all. Most of your counters are from a generation ago.

That’s a function of the question. Pretty tough to demonstrate late-bloomers without significant time elapsing to allow them first to bloom and then to prove themselves..

139. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Giordano
    Josi
    Zibanejad
    Miller
    Wheeler
    Draisaitl
    Panarin

That’s a generation ago. I mean now!!!
    Show me all the players drafted in the modern game (that’s about 3 years old) that are 24 years old
    (Am I doing this right)

140. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Giordano
    Josi
    Zibanejad
    Miller
    Wheeler
    Draisaitl
    Panarin

Exclude 2019 since it’s very early for them.

It’s a really, really small list.

141. Harpers Hair says:

Sean Shapiro
    @seanshapiro
    Stars take Game 1 5-3. They are the highest-scoring team in the playoffs.

142. Harpers Hair says:

Munny: That’s a function of the question.Pretty tough to demonstrate late-bloomers without significant time elapsing to allow them first to bloom and then to prove themselves..

How much time do they need when the young guns are blowing by them?

143. Harpers Hair says:

Munny:
    If anyone here has a wager on the avalanche, I’ve got some bad news for you.

Meh…lot’s of hockey to be played.

144. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: How much time do they need when the young guns are blowing by them?

So Moritz Seider
    You see what I did there
    You stupid stupid troll

145. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: Meh…lot’s of hockey to be played.

Not like you’re going to pay up if they lose anyway
    Sad day in the life of a troll

146. Scungilli Slushy says:

You’re right Barry, not misogynist.

Lowetide is right, in the times we live there is a cancel culture where some people want to decide what should be said and the validity of their judgment is not a factor many times.

One of those pick your battles propositions. Milbury needs to be smarter or he’ll soon be out of a gig.

147. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: Now that’s some lame ass trolling from a lame ass troll because you clearly realize that most of Bouchard peers have to play in Chl or NHL
    So Moritz Seider
    You see what I did there
    You stupid stupid troll

You’re becoming unhinged.

Don’t you have a police department to de-fund or something?

148. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: You’re becoming unhinged.

Don’t you have a police department to de-fund or something?

How do you get WiFi under that bridge
    You lame troll

149. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Harpers Hair: You’re becoming unhinged.

Don’t you have a police department to de-fund or something?

Jesus, if you’re not careful, the trolls in here will kick the shit out of you.

150. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: You’re becoming unhinged.

Don’t you have a police department to de-fund or something?

Oh is stupid troll unhappy his stupid troll argument got turned inside out
    Silly troll

151. jp says:

godot10: Nill passed on re-signing Russell once already after having paid a heavy price at a trade deadline forhim.If Russell has let you down once already….fool me once, shame on you….fool me twice, shame on me.

Let Nill down.

Russell was 3rd in TOI for them while leading the team in goal differential and finishing 2nd in points.

Definitely let down by his deadline addition.

Harpers Hair: Name the defensemen picked in the top 15 (a concession to your whining) in the last ten drafts who spent an entire season in the AHL.

Exclude 2019 since it’s very early for them.

It’s a really, really small list.

Calvin De Haan
    Ryan Ellis played parts of two seasons
    Ekman-Larsson played parts of two seasons
    Dylan McIlrath
    Brandon Gormley
    Derek Forbort
    Adam Larsson parts of two seasons
    Duncan Siemens
    Jacob Zboril
    Olli Juolevi
    Jake Bean
    Erik Brannstrom
    Cal Foote
    Evan Bouchard

Not so small. Around two per draft year from 2009-through-2018.

153. Buddy says:

Misogynist.

You all keep using that word.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

Buddy:
    Misogynist.

You all keep using that word.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

A misogynist is a white-cis-male! -).

155. leadfarmer says:

Nothing like claiming Theodore as success
    Without acknowledging his almost 100 Ahl games

156. Ranford.85 says:

Harpers Hair,

Unhinged is visiting a blog for a team you don’t cheer for, only to be a constant critic and create conflict. And you do it on the daily. You are truly pathetic.

157. Reja says:

Buddy:
    Misogynist.

You all keep using that word.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

Milbury played the game hard and with passion. I hope he doesn’t go down begging on his knees for the terrible sin he committed.

158. Harpers Hair says:

godot10:

Calvin De Haan (Medocre second pairing)

Ryan Ellis played parts of two seasons ( Not a full season and on a stacked Nashville D)

Ekman-Larsson played parts of two seasons (Only 35 AHL games)

Dylan McIlrath (BUST

Brandon Gormley (BUST)

Derek Forbort (THIRD PAIRING)

Adam Larsson parts of two seasons (MEDIOCRE)

Duncan Siemens (BUST)

Ryan Murphy (MEDOCRE)

Jamie Oleksiak (almost zero offence)

Griffin Reinhart (BUST)

Hampus Lindholm (half season at 19 in AHL and then full time NHL

Derek Pouliot (BUST)

Slater Koekkoek (3rd pairing)

Samuel Morin (BUST)

Josh Morrissey (good catch)

Ryan Pulock (MEH)

Haydn Fleury (not established)

Julius Honka (BUST)

Jacob Zboril (BUST)

Olli Juolevi (BUST)

Jake Bean (Not established)

Erik Brannstrom (Promising)

Cal Foote (2 full AHL years but TB blue line is loaded)

Evan Bouchard (I THINK YOUR LIST HAS HIM SURROUNDED)

Based on the above his ceiling is somewhere between bust and mediocre.

Josh Morrissey is the only player in the group who might be first pairing.

159. leadfarmer says:

leadfarmer: Your question Is nonsensical And you are just trolling
    Because a lot of D have two years in juniors or ncaa after being drafted
    Bouchard had the option of Ahl after one year
    Makar even needed two years after being drafted and he was a lotto pick

Oh yeah that Theodore guy is not half bad either
    Now back under the bridge

At Bouchard’s age, Theodore had 53 NHL games to his credit.

Makar…are you kidding?

Virtually every NCAA draftee spends at least one more year in college before signing.

Like Quinn Hughes who is exactly the same age as Bouchard.

One of these players scored 53 points in the NHL and the other scored 36 points in the AHL.

Can you spot the difference?

162. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: At Bouchard’s age, Theodore had 53 NHL games to his credit.

Makar…are you kidding?

Like Quinn Hughes who is exactly the same age as Bouchard.

Can you spot the difference?

Yeah one is a lotto pick
    I did like the Joe Colborne on top of your forwards list
    Was that intentional?
    It had to be intentional

163. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: At Bouchard’s age, Theodore had 53 NHL games to his credit.

Makar…are you kidding?

Like Quinn Hughes who is exactly the same age as Bouchard.

Can you spot the difference?

How deep up your ass did you have to dig to get those numbers
    Because those are not true
    Theodore post draft 1 Whl
    Post draft 2 Whl
    Post draft 3 Ahl with 19 nhl games

Bouchard post draft 1 ohl and 7 NHL games
    Post draft 2 Ahl
    Post draft 3 ???
    You’re not even trying anymore
    Theodore got to the games you listed in post draft year 4
    Also known as when Bogdan Rafferty was pretending to be a freshman

164. Tragikomix says:

leadfarmer: You just said 10 points in 10 games as elite production
    Have some consistency man!!
    It’s only been 5 minutes

AHL level trolling. Definitely not an elite troll. Not enough skill 🙂

165. JimmyV1965 says:

Holy crap. Did HH hijack the blog tonight or what. Arguing with him Is like grabbing a ghost.

166. Munny says:

Buddy:
    Misogynist.

You all keep using that word.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

It is fundamental to mob morality to heavily overstate the case in order to ensure the indictment is echoed in faraway places like this tiny corner of the internet.

The word is entirely inappropriate and inaccurate; however in today’s world that’s a good thing, and sadly endorsed by good people.

167. Ribs says:

Catching up a bit… This made me lol :p

The world today is a strange, silly thing. Seemingly innocuous things are no longer harmless. Seemingly unrelated things are now spewn to be intriniscal. Rabid consensus and sansationalized narratives are available on demand and they can strike like thousands of hammers at any given time.

LT is 100% correct in how to deal with this, of course. Conform to the silliness.

There is no winning against the correctors. They usually have very valid points! They may be very trivial points and super annoying and/or contextless, but they are likely right in a basic sense, when you big-picture things.

Defending our outdated ideals/opinions doesn’t usually help anything in the long run. The wheels are already spinning and we should know what that means (move along or get run the F over!).

It’s the way it has always been.

I believe there’s still room to say your piece to try to get some context out into the world, but anything beyond that is shaking your fist at the clouds.

I’m admittedly not as seasoned as some on this blog. I have young children now that I am going to be helping navigate through this world. The more I can learn to understand and participate in it is only going to help my family and myself through the journey. I hope others start feeling the same 🙂