Echoes Down the Canyon

Do you remember some of the things that were written in the comments section of this blog about Kailer Yamamoto last August? He didn’t get into any preseason games and received an advance token to Bakersfield early. I would wager many of you reading this felt the Yamamoto pick had a good chance to be a wasted first rounder. Now. Can we apply that memory with today’s discussion and grow as an online community?

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

YAMAMOTO AND EBERLE

As we’ve discussed before, Yamamoto has been ‘in the range’ with Eberle in four of these seasons. I don’t think he’ll have Eberle’s career, but if he spends the 2020’s with 97 or 29 at center, he might outscore him.

The best moment so far in Yamamoto’s career is that Dave Tippett put him on a skill line when he was recalled. That spot should have been Jesse Puljujarvi’s, but the young man was in Finland. Timing is everything. Opportunity missed.

TYLER BENSON VS. RYAN SPOONER

Lots of downbeat verbal about Benson, but his season in Bakersfield had some positives. He led the Condors in points per game, in power-play points and would have exceeded 50 points in a complete season. The left wing depth chart currently (signed or RFA) is Nuge, Athanasiou, Neal, Nygard and Benson. His cap hit, the late audition and a solid summer camp have him in a good spot.

COOPER MARODY VS. DEVIN SHORE

Marody’s career suffered a setback via injuries and we may never see him reach the potential suggested by that rookie AHL season. He did look good in the summer camp and he is a righty who can play center (although I’m not sure the organization sees him as a pivot).

SUMMARY

I expect we’ll see a post this morning that says “Benson will have a great career—in Switzerland!” but I’m hoping we can have a serious conversation about these men and others in the prospect group. Comparable players have enjoyed NHL careers, and the three forwards listed here have some things on their resumes that make them worthy of discussion. Thoughtful posts on the subject appreciated.

129 Responses to "Echoes Down the Canyon"

1. dustrock says:

Athanasiou will have a great career – in Switzerland!

2. John Chambers says:

I think it’ll have been helpful for Benson and especially Marody to have spent the (short) time in the bubble with the NHL squad.

The bar has been set for these two players. The coaches and players are now familiar with them, and it’s clear there’s an avenue to make the club if they can make a big next step.

Nobody progresses in a straight line, but these guys could easily be on the playoff roster in 2021.

3. Munny says:

Good piece on Haula, Woodguy.

He didn’t really have me convinced going in from the numbers I’ve looked at… and the ticket, despite no trade cost, was looking pricey.

Nice to have some confirmation.

4. jtblack says:

VGS – DEEEEEEEEEEEP Team. Cousins, Roy & Carrier are a few VGS players who play 3rd / 4th line. They seem to be excellent at puck possession, forechcecking, overall skill and just good at the Hockeying.

So to me its not just about Benson making the team. ITS about Benson making the team and helping his line win their minutes.

I still have a lingering voice in my head reminding me about his skating.

LT: who are comparable “poor” skater / high skill players that have delivered an NHL career?

5. Munny says:

meh… Marody will have the Swiss career.

Benson is at least good enough for the K or SHL…

😉

6. Munny says:

jtblack,

Benson isn’t a poor skater, he’s just merely average.

Cooper on the other hand…

7. Munny says:

Here is a re-post of the link to WG’s work on Haula, for those who missed it:

8. leadfarmer says:

Arizona was reportedly late on their bonus payments
    This after being late with lunch money
    Probably close to selling everything that isn’t tacked down

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan McLeod loaned to EV Zug of the Swiss league to start the year.

Awesome!

10. doritogrande says:

Benson appears to be at the same kind of crossroads that young MA Pouliot was once at. Does he have the mental fortitude to accept he wont make it as a top-6 guy and commit to a checking role where he can put his high level vision to occasional uses? Pouliot couldn’t make this connection and had a career in Europe.

Andrew Cogliano however, accepted his place after a trade and still works a regular role in the best league on the planet.

11. Todd Macallan says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Ryan McLeod loaned to EV Zug of the Swiss league to start the year.

Awesome!

That is terrific news.

12. jtblack says:

Munny:
    Here is a re-post of the link to WG’s work on Haula, for those who missed it:

After reading thru the analysis last night, I pass on Haula. Belive there are better options at less $$

13. jtblack says:

Munny:
    jtblack,

Benson isn’t a poor skater, he’s just merely average.

Cooper on the other hand…

if we took a poll, I do not beleive the majority was have Benson as an average NHL skater …… he’s not. He is a below average skater

14. pts2pndr says:

Benson was at one point an elite player for his age group. Due to injuries his progress stalled for a couple of years. He may never realize the potential that was there prior to his injuries but by what I have observed the young man is a warrior. He is deserving of a NHL career due to his perseverance and work ethic alone! I believe that his hockey IQ, ability to read and react and board work are at or above NHL level. His skating while not elite is good enough in my opinion that given his other strengths and his perseverance in the face of adversity this young man will have an NHL career. He has earned a chance and has my utmost respect due to his personal qualities. He is very easy to cheer for!

15. jtblack says:

pts2pndr:

16. Woogie63 says:

Clearly some of these play-off contributors were traded for other parts, but there is no doubt, growing up in the Edmonton system(s) is tough on young men. (Are there more than 10?)

Taylor Hall – Larsson
    Andrew Cogliano – Marco Roy
    Taylor Fedun – nothing
    Tyler Pitlick -nothing
    Drake Caggiula -Manning
    Erik Gustafsson- nothing
    Jordan Eberle -Strome
    Jeff Petry – a 2nd and 5th = nothing
    Riley Nash – nothing
    John Marino -6th round pick

Woogie63:
    Clearly some of these play-off contributors were traded for other parts, but there is no doubt, growing up in the Edmonton system(s) is tough on young men.(Are there more than 10?)

Taylor Hall – Larsson
    Andrew Cogliano – Marco Roy
    Taylor Fedun – nothing
    Tyler Pitlick -nothing
    Drake Caggiula -Manning
    Erik Gustafsson- nothing
    Jordan Eberle -Strome
    Jeff Petry – a 2nd and 5th = nothing
    Riley Nash – nothing
    John Marino -6th round pick

Martin Marincin for the win!

18. pts2pndr says:

leadfarmer:
    Arizona was reportedly late on their bonus payments
    This after being late with lunch money
    Probably close to selling everything that isn’t tacked down

There is much riding on a regular season for 20/21. If it gets cancelled with a reset to normal Oct start for 21/22 there may be a retraction in the number of teams. There are still a number of uncertainties that may or may not come into play.

19. Brantford Boy says:

LT: “Now. Can we apply that memory with today’s discussion and grow as an online community?
    Thoughtful posts on the subject appreciated.”

I doubt it, we’re too stubborn… but here goes…

Yamamoto… I too was beginning to doubt him earlier in the year… when someone is so bold as to say “if you don’t draft me, you’ll regret it” in a draft interview that shows confidence. This confidence was on display in full in his ‘break out half season’. I hope Kailer has a ‘break out full season’ in 20-21, but he was stiffled (along with the rest of the team) in the play in series. I agree he is no Eberle but if he pots 30 I doubt many people will care.

Marody… I’ve always like the player, but the parade to the penalty box, noting “most” of the calls were soft against him created a ‘break in case of emergency’ stigma about real use with the big club. IF he’s healthy he can help the team… full stop.

Benson… we’ve been tracking this player for what seems like forever. He is a highly intelligent player, probably suited for bottom six duties. I feel once the player realizes this and his actual role moving forward his effectiveness will increase 10 fold. He did look good on the 3rd line at the end of the regular season and those passes were on display.

So we want a 3rd line centre… is Marody an in house stop gap solution before Ryan McLeod eats his lunch in 21-22? I think many of us feel we should aim higher, however if we sign say Haula for 3 years are we now blocking McLeod from entering the league?

20. Fuge Udvar says:

I remember Yamamoto being shit on daily for a long time..

The optimist in me says that Benson has finally figured out his pelvis issue and it wasn’t at 100 percent

The pessimist in me says it may never get to 100 percent

21. Brantford Boy says:

pts2pndr,

Good post… what this reminds me of is Bo Horvat from Vancouver. He came into the league and the speed overwhelmed him. In the off-season he got some female Olympic skating coach to work with over the summer. They just worked on his first 3 strides and developing it into explosive speed. I have to think, if you want to play in the bigs, you have to have the desire to do whatever it takes… so although a warrior, doing some significant off-season training as per Bear, would go a long way with Benson. Hell we have the fastest player on the planet, maybe ask for some pointers.

22. Woogie63 says:

Marincin – for nothing

Final answer

23. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

jtblack,

And yet Benson makes it to the right place more often than not. Bizarre for a guy with poor skating.

It’s not as bad as some would have you believe, while not being elite. That’s okay.

To me he needs to learn to be more of a threat to score instead of always passing.

24. Woogie63 says:

Dubynk
    Brossoit

Might be ok??

25. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Munny,

Agree.

I’m now more on the J. Larsson train than previously. Tasty cap savings too.

26. buck yoakam says:

pts2pndr,

Totally agree…I also am cheering for the lad…we must continue to draft and develop and give the kids at least change to prove their value!

27. Jaxon says:

Woogie63:

Taylor Hall – Larsson
    Andrew Cogliano – Marco Roy
    Taylor Fedun – nothing
    Tyler Pitlick -nothing
    Drake Caggiula -Manning
    Erik Gustafsson- nothing
    Jordan Eberle -Strome
    Jeff Petry – a 2nd and 5th = nothing
    Riley Nash – nothing
    John Marino -6th round pick

Tobias Reider – Kale Kessy

28. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Was thinking about some UFA RHD options for next season.

Main criteria are handedness, affordability, TOI/gm, and not a green jacket candidate.

Sami Vatanen – salary a concern
    Dylan DeMelo – where the hell did he come from? Likely to be resigned by WPG
    Justin Braun – salary a concern
    Radko Gudas – salary a concern
    Korbinian Holzer – value candidate, always liked his style but likely 5D at best
    Trevor van Reimsdyk – salary a concern, likely 5D at best

Actually not a bad year to be shopping for a RHD in the UFA market. Perhaps there is room to move Larsson for a 3C and sign someone for 2RD duties on a 1-3 year contract.

29. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

I neglected to include

Zach Bogosian

30. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Munny,

Agree.

I’m now more on the J. Larsson train than previously.Tasty cap savings too.

Welcome to the right side of history, brother 😉

31. Jordan says:

Woogie63,

Jaxon,

Has the entire Oilogosphere completely forgotten about Nail Yakupov…?

He’s the poster boy for wasted asset here. How many 1st OV draft picks are out of the league like that so soon after being drafted? I mean, I understand that thinking about him is painful, but… Purple elephants in the room need to be point d out.

32. jp says:

Munny:
    Good piece on Haula, Woodguy.

Nice to have some confirmation.

Agreed it was a great write up, and that Haula isn’t the ideal “fit”. I’d still choose Haula if the price were comparable though (it probably won’t be).

It’s a choice between a better Sheahan or a 3rd line that provides some offense. A significant change in how the team is built. It will be an interesting tell if Holland shops more in the Haula aisle than the Larsson aisle.

33. JOFA says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Ryan McLeod loaned to EV Zug of the Swiss league to start the year.

Awesome!

Is Schremp on the plane with him?

34. JOFA says:

buck yoakam:
    pts2pndr,

How much change do you figure we should give him?

35. buck yoakam says:

JOFA,

enough to get a bus to the airport …at least…sorry dad , the kids just won’t listen….the pilot of that plane is Gary Unger and I believe we have you scheduled for inflight entertainment!…is it too early to start drinking?…asking for a friend

36. JOFA says:

buck yoakam:
    JOFA,

Him them early and often Sparky😄

37. Bag of Pucks says:

One of the things that stands out for me about VGK is what an exceptionally well conditioned team they are. They are just relentless in wearing down the other team with pace. The Canucks were absolutely exhausted by Game 7.

I don’t know if McPhee acquired a bunch of players with stelllar VO2Max or if they practice exceptionally hard or their diet and conditioning coaching is off the charts or all of the above, but the Oilers need to be spygating this in the bubble asap.

38. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m not sure why Yamamoto cannot have an “Eberle career” – Kailer matched Eberle’s 21 year old season (which was Eberle’s second NHL season and Kailer’s first – took Kailer an extra half year to arrive) but Eberle toped out that year and never hit that offensive peak again.

Yes, Kailer’s season wasn’t “full” and he did play with Drai (although Eberle had Nuge and Hall that year).

I’m not saying that Kailer will be a PPG for the rest of his career but he very well may be and Eberle wasn’t.

With that said, clearly the Oilers need to trade down to 22 and get a 2nd rounder.

They are aces at 22.

39. Gerta Rauss says:

Thoughts on KRusty for Jason Demers..?

The cap hits are a push – hockey acumen aside, the transaction saves ARZ $1.6M in salary

At this point, ARZ might be willing to give him away just to free up money

The you trade Larsson for (insert Oiler requirements here)

40. tavvey tune says:

jtblack:
    VGS –DEEEEEEEEEEEP Team.Cousins, Roy & Carrier are a few VGS players who play 3rd / 4th line. They seem to be excellent at puck possession, forechcecking, overall skill and just good at the Hockeying.

I still have a lingering voice in my headreminding me about his skating.

Mark Stone, 6th round pick in 2010

41. OriginalPouzar says:

People are down a bit on Benson due to a “regression year” but was it really?

Benson is the type of player that will need to play with other legit skill in order to produce – he’s a smart offensive player and a puck distributer – he’s not a driver or finisher but he has top 6 skill if playing with top 6 skill – he didn’t have much of that in the Bake this past season with Marody hurt.

He did show progression – his second cup of coffee in the NHL markedly better than the first and he showed he can play at the NHL pace.

Not having “plus skating” does not prohibit an NHL career. Half the league does not have “plus skating”.

42. pts2pndr says:

Brantford Boy,

Re Yamamoto – my feelings is if the coach puts Yamamoto back with Draisaitl and Nuge all will be okay.
    They are for me like a good running three cylinder engine. They read and react off one another and were for an extended period last year the best line in the NHL. Like a three cylinder engine, the line doesn’t run on two cylinders.

43. jp says:

Lowetide: Martin Marincin for the win!

AND the team was still paying him this season, sorta.

44. pts2pndr says:

buck yoakam,

Totally agree. I think the team is getting much better at the development aspect. I credit this to the very good AHL coaching staff and a reset in priority of the minor league club to development. I also believe that what we see now in development is credit to Holland.

45. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar:

They are aces at 22.

Not sure lightning strikes in the same place twice.😊

46. pts2pndr says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Thoughts on KRusty for Jason Demers..?

At this point, ARZ might be willing to give him away just to free up money

The you trade Larsson for (insert Oiler requirements here)

47. jp says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Thoughts on KRusty for Jason Demers..?

At this point, ARZ might be willing to give him away just to free up money

The you trade Larsson for (insert Oiler requirements here)

Sounds like quite a decent idea.

48. Tragikomix says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Thoughts on KRusty for Jason Demers..?

At this point, ARZ might be willing to give him away just to free up money

The you trade Larsson for (insert Oiler requirements here)

It saves 1,1M and Demers is their only RHD, so not probable. But good idea.

49. Gerta Rauss says:

pts2pndr: If you can’t get a clean disposal of Russel’s contract this definitely opens up possibilities. Problem is the limit no trade clause of Russel.

Demers has a limited NTC as well, so there’s that

50. Gerta Rauss says:

Tragikomix: It saves 1,1M and Demers is their only RHD, so not probable. But good idea.

Oh yeah…PuckPedia has Demers at $2.6M

Capfriendly has his salary at $3.1

nice catch

51. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Oilers legend Nik Khabibulin on Askarov:

Gillian Kemmerer (GK): We had a somewhat limited snapshot of Yaroslav Askarov at the World Juniors tournament. Can you fill in any gaps, having worked with him in the lead-up?

Nikolai Khabibulin (NK): I know him from the inside. Even though World Juniors wasn’t his best tournament, working with him in training camp and working with him during the World Championships, he was really a pleasure. I think he’s got a good mentality, with all the size and quickness, and of course he needs to work on a lot of things and improve some things. But I feel that he has the chance to be an elite goalie.

GK: World Juniors is not always indicative of a goaltender’s trajectory. Carey Price, for example, did not have a stellar showing.

NK: Carey Price didn’t have a particularly great first two or three years in the NHL either. Especially in the playoffs, and then little-by-little he improved. Actually, I think when he first got in the league, he was a little bit of a loose cannon from what I’ve heard, but then he grew up and matured a bit. He’s become a better goalie. He’s been among the best for probably the past decade, if not more.

Source:

52. jp says:

Brantford Boy:

So we want a 3rd line centre… is Marody an in house stop gap solution before Ryan McLeod eats his lunch in 21-22?I think many of us feel we should aim higher, however if we sign say Haula for 3 years are we now blocking McLeod from entering the league?

On Haula or other blocking McLeod in a year… I just don’t see the concern. McLeod isn’t close to a sure thing, and his entry to the league should be on the 4th line even if everything goes as planned. Khaira and Haas are RFA/UFA in a year so there’s McLeod’s lineup spot if he continues to progress.

McLeod should have zero bearing on a 3C acquisition this off season IMO.

53. OriginalPouzar says:

doritogrande:

Benson is a smart guy (on and off the ice) with an incredible work ethic (from what I’ve read) – I expect he has such mental fortitude.

At the same time, I sure as heck hope that he doesn’t accept that fate at this stage of his career – this is indeed a big season for him coming up but the door is absolutely not closed on him being a top 6 NHL player in my opinion. We’ll know more in a year but I sure as heck hope the player hasn’t closed that door mentally and I sure as heck hope the current GM and coaching staff haven’t.

54. Gerta Rauss says:

Gerta Rauss: Oh yeah…PuckPedia has Demers at $2.6M

Capfriendly has his salary at $3.1

nice catch

And puckpedia shows a $1M signing bonus owed

Maybe Katz can step in a grease the wheels and pay Demers his signing bonus, whatever amount that happens to be

55. Tragikomix says:

Gerta Rauss: Acutally, capfriendly shows an $875k signing bonus owed to Demers, so maybe there is more dollars at stake

And puckpedia shows a $1M signing bonus owed

Panthers retained $562,500, so its probably little less in cap hit and real money?

56. JimmyV1965 says:

If I remember correctly, most people were hopeful Yama would develop into a good NHL player. The majority of posters were cautiously optimistic, but understood he may or may not make it. There were a handful of posters who wrote him off last year already, some even suggesting he was a poor skater. Reminds me of the Benson discussion more recently.

57. JimmyV1965 says:

Skating is very important, but I think it’s vastly overstated in many cases. Vegas is a very slow team, one of the slowest in the Pacific. But they play with pace and they forecheck relentlessly. They are quick on pucks, which is more a function of anticipation rather than speed.

58. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

jtblack:

59. pts2pndr says:

JOFA,

Wood guys phone sure gets around!

60. pts2pndr says:

jp: It would be great if Marody can grab an NHL job this year. He could be like Bear in his prospect/suspect/NHLer progression potentially (or not).

McLeod should have zero bearing on a 3C acquisition this off season IMO.

61. Harpers Hair says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: VGK are the San Antonio Spurs of the NHL … it seems as though they can just plug anyone into that system on pretty much any line/pairing and they don’t miss a beat. Even DeBoer is having a hard time fucking up what Gallant put together.

De Boer War.

62. Harpers Hair says:

pts2pndr: I would agree if the right deal is there. If however said deal creates cap problems for down the road and or otherwise compromises the future I think the correct move is to keep our powder dry. Our cap improves after next year if we just let Russell’s contract run out and the long term buyout money comes off the books. Sometimes the best action to take is to stand pat or at very least stop digging the hole deeper.

Keeping your “powder dry” in that context is very flawed.

New for The Athletic: What are the expectations of Raphael Lavoie during his time in Europe?

64. hunter1909 says:

May the best team win tonight but I’ll be cheering for Eberle to finally win the cup in Edmonton in front of the fans, wherever they might be lol

65. hunter1909 says:

ps; anyone else cheering for the Islanders tonight, previously unthought of but who cares anymore ha ha ha

66. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair: It’s clearly impossible to know what the landscape will look like the season after next.

Keeping your “powder dry” in that context is very flawed.

What I am saying for clarification is moving Russell for another bad contract coming back for the shortened 20/21 season that may not even happen is not smart. When money is tight and season uncertain it is the time to proceed with caution. Planning past the aforementioned 20/21 season is a fools errand.

67. OriginalPouzar says:

Brantford Boy:
    Thoughtful posts on the subject appreciated.”

I doubt it, we’re too stubborn… but here goes…

Yamamoto… I too was beginning to doubt him earlier in the year… when someone is so bold as to say “if you don’t draft me, you’ll regret it” in a draft interview that shows confidence.This confidence was on display in full in his ‘break out half season’.I hope Kailer has a ‘break out full season’ in 20-21, but he was stiffled (along with the rest of the team) in the play in series.I agree he is no Eberle but if he pots 30 I doubt many people will care.

Marody… I’ve always like the player, but the parade to the penalty box, noting “most” of the calls were soft against him created a ‘break in case of emergency’ stigma about real use with the big club.IF he’s healthy he can help the team… full stop.

Benson… we’ve been tracking this player for what seems like forever.He is a highly intelligent player, probably suited for bottom six duties.I feel once the player realizes this and his actual role moving forward his effectiveness will increase 10 fold.He did look good on the 3rd line at the end of the regular season and those passes were on display.

Good post. Some thoughts of mine:

1) Down on Kailer at the beginning of last year solely because injury held him back and were becoming a concern. His play in Bakersfield was elite in that league – his boxcars vastly under-represented his impact on the game – he was not playing to with top linemates and was a scoring chance creation machine.

2) Here is hoping that Marody’s stagnation/regression was materially more related to health than not developing the weaker spots in his game. If Marody could take a step and become a bottom six NHL player it would sure help the depth chart

3) McLeod is indeed the projected 3C of the future but that isn’t necessarily where he starts his NHL career – he may very well start as a winger of a split and, also, 4C isn’t locked up over the next few years. There will be an NHL lineup spot when he’s ready – the likes of Nygard and Haas and Khaira have one year left on their contracts.

68. OriginalPouzar says:

Woogie63:
    Hall-McDavid-Eberle
    Hopkins-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
    Cogliano-Nash-Puljarjari
    Caggiula-Khaira-Pitlick
    Benson-P. Russell

Gustafsson-Petry
    Nurse-Bear
    Kleblom-Marino
    Jones

Dubynk
    Brossoit

Might be ok??

Gustaffson needs to be moved to the very bottom of those pairings, no?

He is not good at 5 on 5 – 3rd pairing/PP guy.

In my opinion.

69. Reja says:

JOFA: Is Schremp on the plane with him?

70. Harpers Hair says:

pts2pndr: What I am saying for clarification is moving Russell for another bad contract coming back for the shortened 20/21 season that may not even happen is not smart. When money is tight and season uncertain it is the time to proceed with caution. Planning past the aforementioned 20/21 seasonis a fools errand.

The rule of thumb should be to ice the best possible roster next season.

It’s entirely possible the NHLs economic meltdown will transform the league in unforseeable ways going forward.

71. Reja says:

hunter1909:

I respect but I still hate the Islanders from the Eighties.

72. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: The rule of thumb should be to ice the best possible roster next season.

You tell that to all the teams that are going to be slashing salaries next year

73. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: You tell that to all the teams that are going to be slashing salaries next year

A great opportunity for teams that don’t have to

74. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

I see it likely that there are a raft of one and two year deals — at slight or greater discounts — this off-season as players wait for team payrolls to increase.

75. pts2pndr says:

76. JOFA says:

Reja: Off topic but I’ll bet a C-Note AA scores $20 if not in Edmonton he will for another team in the league. If he’s injured or the season is shortened or cancelled I lose and will donate it to this wonderful site. If AA against all odds with not much PP 2nd unit last 20-30 seconds pots 20 the person that calls me on the bet donates $200 to this site. I’m unsure if AA penalty killed in Detroit with that speed you would think he was made for it like a Paul Byron or one of my favourite’s Todd marchant. Does anyone know if AA is a effective penalty killer?

The boss doesn’t allow me to bet, but I hope someone takes you up on it. Now if you said Schremp….😉

77. Munny says:

pts2pndr,

We have to have a safe, working vaccine first. This is not a lock.

78. unca miltie says:

Reja, having spent most of 1968 through 1970 in Flin Flon, I am cheering for the Flyers. Did Kate Smith sing? i missed the start of the game.

79. pts2pndr says:

Munny:
    pts2pndr,

We have to have a safe, working vaccine first.This is not a lock.

That’s my thought and once one is developed there is going to be if we are optimistic a three month period to get the required number of people vaccinated and immunity assurance.One of many curses is “may you live in interesting times”.

80. pts2pndr says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:

I think that all new contracts will have a COVID clause.

81. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair: A great opportunity for teams that don’t have to

Only if there is a season and revenue stream in. I think you are drinking too much of uncle Donald’s cool aide!

82. pts2pndr says:

JOFA: The boss doesn’t allow me to bet, but I hope someone takes you up on it. Now if you said Schremp….

My wife vetoed it as well!

83. Harpers Hair says:

pts2pndr: If we assume that Arizona is in trouble which seems to be the case and the Panthers can’t draw flies and is already getting equalization monies the league is in less than a ideal situation financially. At what point does the league decide that to survive it is in the leagues best interest to contract. I believe that if the forecast uptick in COVID-19 numbers increases this fall there is a good chance that the last NHL hockey we see is this years Covid Cup until a resumption and reset starting the 21/22 season Oct next year. Even given that a vaccine gets on the market in early January of 21, it is very optimistic to expect resumption of NHL hockey with butts in the seats prior to mid March. That is what my logic is behind the contraction and reset. Your idea of icing the best team given the above situation takes on a whole different thought process. I am of the opinion business people are not in the habit of throwing good money after bad.

Those are reasonable assumptions except for one thing.

The players have guaranteed contracts and will have to be paid no matter what.

They will of course look for any way they can to keep revenue coming in even if it means a compressed schedule with a temporary realignment to minimize travel and expenses.

The only alternative would be folding the tent.

84. pts2pndr says:

Bankruptcy laws are very different in the USA and Canada. How many of you remember the beating that many Pittsburgh players took when they declared bankruptcy?

85. Halfwise says:

Munny:
    pts2pndr,

We have to have a safe, working vaccine first.This is not a lock.

Vaccines aren’t a slam dunk. I’d be more confident that there will be some kind of preventative that keeps the virus from attaching and entering the body in most people.

Next, get everyone’s Vitamin D levels up and body fat down. Next, keep trying all the treatments and combinations of treatments to find what works, regardless of politics.

Then we will still have to keep high risk people out of mainstream society, including old guys like me.

Small crowds at sporting events are baked into the cake, or maybe no crowds at all. What’s the business model where there are no gate revenues? No concession or parking revenues?

This looks to me like Act I of a business tragedy. Never mind the impairment of development leagues and the like for the longer term.

86. OriginalPouzar says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Thoughts on KRusty for Jason Demers..?

At this point, ARZ might be willing to give him away just to free up money

The you trade Larsson for (insert Oiler requirements here)

I think its about a $1.1M real money savings (Demers is owned $2.6M).

No-brainer for the Oilers but not sure ARI would agree to that downgrade for a million bucks in savings – maybe though – maybe with a low-end sweetener.

That trade would allow the Oilers to move on from Larsson as well – for value (including cap space)- not just for shits and giggles.

Its a good thought.

87. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

pts2pndr,

How so?

How does either side stipulate a clause for something nobody can predict?

All I’m talking about is a trend of one or two year deals as players try to ride out the uncertain near-term future then hit the market when things have stabilized again and the cap is rising.

That in and of itself could lend to a buyer’s market and some great deals for talented players.

So perhaps the time to stock up on talent is this year, and in a year or two when things get back to normal and all the short term deals have expired.

88. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair: Those are reasonable assumptions except for one thing.

The players have guaranteed contracts and will have to be paid no matter what.

The only alternative would be folding the tent.

89. Here Kitty Kitty says:

unca miltie: Did Kate Smith sing?

She’s was a racist so her version of God Bless America will not be played anymore at Flyer games.

90. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Was thinking about some UFA RHD options for next season.

Sami Vatanen – salary a concern
    Dylan DeMelo – where the hell did he come from?Likely to be resigned by WPG
    Justin Braun – salary a concern
    Radko Gudas – salary a concern
    Trevor van Reimsdyk – salary a concern, likely 5D at best
    Zach Bogosian – an interesting option

Actually not a bad year to be shopping for a RHD in the UFA market.Perhaps there is room to move Larsson for a 3C and sign someone for 2RD duties on a 1-3 year contract.

Nobody has any thoughts about the upcoming UFA market of RHD?

91. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Here Kitty Kitty,

It’s high time for the anthems to be done away with at sporting events in general.

Let’s keep politics out of sports (blogs).

92. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Exceptions being the Olympics and other national-level best on best tournaments.

93. OriginalPouzar says:

Russell has been an important Oiler over his 4 years – he has been asked to box above his weight class for much of his time here (2RD) and, for periods, did pretty good (i.e 2016/17 shined by Sekera). He wasn’t great at 2RD for most of his time, although he had his stretches, but imagine if he wasn’t even an option – there was no next man up.

With that said, we knew that contract was going to be a problem and I still can’t believe that a GM could go 0 for 5 – chiarelli lost on:

– AAV
    – term
    – trade protection
    – signing bonus buyout protection

Holland has to find a way out of that last year – clean disposition would be amazing but, if not possible, he’s got to find a way to parlay that contract into an expensive, but useful, piece (Rantta, Bjugstad, Demers, Sutter, etc.).

94. OriginalPouzar says:

Gerta Rauss: Demers has a limited NTC as well, so there’s that

He almost signed in Edmonton so may not be adverse.

95. Here Kitty Kitty says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

100% get rid of the anthems at sporting events.

I don’t think that you can totally insulate sports from politics but it would be nice!

96. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965:
    Skating is very important, but I think it’s vastly overstated in many cases. Vegas is a very slow team, one of the slowest in the Pacific. But they play with pace and they forecheck relentlessly.They are quick on pucks, which is more a function of anticipation rather than speed.

I agree absolutely with your first sentence. Of course, its important but it seems many think that not having plus skating it all but a death-shot.

97. Gerta Rauss says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey: Nobody has any thoughts about the upcoming UFA market of RHD?

I mentioned it months ago (the apparent availability of RHD) and subsequently being able to move Larsson as a result

And I alluded to it above with the potential acquisition of Demers

It’s a decent strategy I think…if we’re moving on from Larsson (who I like) and Russell I think the play is to acquire a RHD that can replace Larsson’s minutes (and potentially meet the expansion draft requirements with a 2 year deal) and then move Larsson

I like Bogosian from your list…Peitrangelo and Barrie will be too rich for the Oilers budget

I’d add Tanev to that list as well

98. Gerta Rauss says:

OriginalPouzar: He almost signed in Edmonton so may not be adverse.

especially if his current team can’t pay him his bonus

99. Gerta Rauss says:

Gerta Rauss: especially if his current team can’t pay him his bonus

100. Gerta Rauss says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

I’ve always like Gudas as well but it sounds like I can skate faster than him so there’s that LOL

101. Harpers Hair says:

pts2pndr: That’s not how the U.S bankruptcy laws work. You may want to check that out but your investment profile probably doesn’t have a pro sports franchise in it or you wouldn’t have been quite so cavalier!

I didn’t say a word about US bankruptcy laws so please enlighten me as how they would work for a league that’s not playing games.

I’ll wait.

102. OriginalPouzar says:

The contracts are guaranteed but there isn’t even surety that they get paid in full next season (in full after the holdbacks, deferrals, etc.).

The MOU provides for maintaining the ability of the league to pro rate contracts if a season of less than 82 games are played.

103. pts2pndr says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    pts2pndr,

How so?

How does either side stipulate a clause for something nobody can predict?

What I foresee is a clause that holds the team not financially liable in the event ………

104. OriginalPouzar says:

pts2pndr: I think that all new contracts will have a COVID clause.

105. unca miltie says:

Here Kitty Kitty,

Wow, i had not heard that. interesting read.

106. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Gerta Rauss,

I liked your suggestion of Demers. Could be a good fit, though I haven’t dug into his fancies recently. All I recall is he didn’t exactly do much better in FLA vs Larsson did here via the numbers, but that was a while ago and I haven’t actually watched much of him play.

My list was strictly UFA players, those available at no asset cost other than current cap space.

I’d like to know more about both DeMelo and Holzer. I often notice Holzer play well against us.

BoP mentioned Weegar ages ago, but I doubt FLA gives up such a good value contract. Still, worth a look. Although that’s looking into feasible trades, which I haven’t looked into yet.

107. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Gerta Rauss,

I don’t know a ton about Gudas, but he’s ornery and seems to show up in the right time/place for a guy who might not be the most fleet of feet. And LT likes him, so that counts for something… right?

108. Gerta Rauss says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey: ZB showed rather well by proxy in Woodguy’s recent deep dive on J Larsson. Great price point. Plays with an edge. Larsson-lite?

And that’s all I’m looking for if we’re moving out Larsson

We don’t NEED Pietrangelo or Barrie or Paryko, we just need (insert name here) to NOT be a significant step down from the Larsson we’ve seen the last 24 months (good and bad)

109. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: There is a form os SPC attached as an exhibit to the CBA and the CBA provides that the form cannot be amended or revised in any manner.

That is very interesting. It would be interesting to see which would take president in a USA bankruptcy case because as I understand it that would contravene their bankruptcy law as it stands. There is a reason the Americans are much more willing to declare bankruptcy. I will defer to you good sir. May have been changed after the Penguins declaration where a number of players took a big hit.

110. Gerta Rauss says:

Friedman between periods – Domi has changed agents and relayed that Bergevin stated that Domi
    “has not asked for a trade”

I like Domi a lot as an acquisition target, that’ll take some cap voodoo for Kenny to pull that off

111. jp says:

112. Gerta Rauss says:

Gerta Rauss: my bad…ARZ may have paid the bonus already…I was riffing on the comment above that they were “late” and just assumed they hadn’t been paid

@CraigSMorgan – Sep 4
    Multiple sources have confirmed that the Coyotes were late on multiple player signing bonuses: OEL ($4M due Sept. 1), Antti Raanta ($2M due Sept. 1), Jason Demers ($1M due Sept. 1), Tyler Steenbergen ($43,750 due on July 15). All have since been paid.

So there’s confirmation that Demers was owed $1M on Tuesday and has been paid

113. jp says:

It’s a good bet if you’re covering off injury and shortened season. I won’t take it though because I agree with you in spirit, AA is a great bet to hit 20 in a full season, whatever team he plays with.

114. pts2pndr says:

Here Kitty Kitty:
    BornInAGretzkyJersey,

100% get rid of the anthems at sporting events.

Please let it be so. It only makes any kind of sense in the olympics.

115. Munny says:

The Nassau Islanders are going to pull it off.

Remind me to never bet against Barry “Cup Whisperer” Trotz or Lucky Lou from Sicily.

116. rickithebear says:

4 of the 5 deepest cup core roster theory teams are in the Final 4.
    Only one of the top 4 missed. Boston

26 years and counting!

117. Gerta Rauss says:

Munny:
    The Nassau Islanders are going to pull it off.

Jordan Eberle to Edmonton (e4)

118. Reja says:

unca miltie:

Tough town it’s definitely the second home of the Broad Street Bullies.

119. unca miltie says:

Reja,

i have some memories, many of them wonderful and some not so good. A tremendous number of NHL’ers came through during my time there. A neat story, I was in the press box at the arena in St. Albert during a playoff game with the Fort Mcmurray Oil Barons and Pat Ginnell was there scouting for the Blues.

120. €√¥£€^$ says:

rickithebear:
    4 of the 5 deepest cup core roster theory teams are in the Final 4.
    Only one of the top 4 missed. Boston

26 years and counting!

Thanks Ricki!

What would Oilers roster look like if you were GM?

121. pts2pndr says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    pts2pndr,

How so?

How does either side stipulate a clause for something nobody can predict?

I am not sure how contract lawyer’s would word it but it would give the team and or player an opt out of contract invalid if……… could include number of games that would validate the contract. How a grievance to contract would be settled and a myriad of other things.

122. OriginalPouzar says:

As I mentioned above, NHL contracts are based on a standard form that is attached as an exhibit to the CBA and the form cannot be amended or revised. A “covid-clause” cannot be included.

123. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss: I like Bogosian from your list…

Ahh Zach Bogosian… This generation’s Braydon Coburn.

But who knows maybe he wants a raise, and a chance to live in Canada.

124. Gerta Rauss says:

Munny: Question is, how did TB get him to sign for peanuts last time? The same trick is likely to work again. A Finals appearance won’t help.

But who knows maybe he wants a raise, and a chance to live in Canada

His current deal with TB is pro rated so to speak…

His cap hit at the start of the season was $5.1 and change..and then he/Buffalo agreed to terminate in Feb(injuries) and he signed a UFA contract with TB for the remaining games (he played 8 prior to COVID)

It’s a tough call…he could very well be done and be Eric Gryba (I haven’t watched any TB games since the restart)

Or he could be Larsson lite(or better)

Ahh Zach Bogosian… This generation’s Braydon Coburn

LoL

Yeah, I was a Coburn fan as well

125. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss,

Ahh, sweet, thank you for reminding me.

I’d say he’s hankering for at least 3. Might be a tough number to hit. Gudas is probably looking for 3 and change too. (I’d love me some Gouda). Both would still be cheaper and healthier than Larsson.

126. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss: Yeah, I was a Coburn fan as well

i was too.

127. €√¥£€^$ says:

I really really really like Demelo. He is in the same class as Chris Tanev, IMO. Not sure what the market will look like, but I figure he would be in the $2-2.5 range on a 2-3 yr deal.

128. Munny says:

€√¥£€^$,

The one thing about Demelo is that he is an absolute minute muncher. The minutes however haven’t been especially tough over his career.