V-2 Schneider

Photo by Rob Ferguson

Anger and outrage broke out across central and Northern Alberta Sunday night, as twitter star Fussy Britches sent out an all caps sentence word: “Klefbom” and lit up the social media sky. All the clocks stopped, people ran outside to see who was bound for happiness and who was bound for glory. If not 97, 29, 93 and Klefbom, then who is bound to live with less, and who will tell their story?

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

THE LIST

What does your off limits list look like for the Oilers? My no trade list is Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Kailer Yamamoto, Oscar Klefbom, Darnell Nurse, Ethan Bear, Evan Bouchard, Philip Broberg. That’s nine. I think Raphael Lavoie, Dmitri Samorukov and Ilya Konovalov could join them soon. What’s your list?

AVAILABLE LIST

So, is there enough on he available list to get anything done? Adam Larsson, Mikko Koskinen, Andreas Athanasiou, Alex Chiasson, Zack Kassian, Jujhar Khaira, Kris Russell, Matt Benning, William Lagesson, Ryan McLeod.

Is there a lot of value there? I think Larsson has good value, he should be able to deliver one of the three needed pieces (Goalie, two-way winger and No. 3 center) mostly by himself. After that, it gets a little hazy.

Holland is in a tough spot. He could be on the verge of a major opportunity with very little ability to get into a trade conversation. Putting it in 1970’s form, it’s like seeing Jan Smithers at a party and realizing you’re Ralph Malph.

HOW BAD IS IT?

I believe the Oilers, as they sit idling in the driveway, are a better team than most fans believe. Those damnable Bettman bubble games cast a pall on real progress, led by a coach who did a damned good job until the Chicago Blackhawks series.

Ken Holland is going to add an upgrade in net, and add a No. 3 center. If he trades Larsson that needs a replacement. Perhaps the left wing solution is Tyler Ennis or another low key addition. Perhaps he walks Andreas Athanasiou and Matt Benning.

If Holland makes a good choice in goal, makes a smaller trade for a legit No. 3 center and someone who can cash on No. 97’s wing, then that’s the summer. Edmonton finished No. 2 in the Pacific Division, they were competitive with Calgary and Vancouver this past season. Trading Klefbom, unless the return is enormous, would likely be another example of the Oilers giving up the best player in the deal. If Colton Parayko is coming back, sign that deal. Failing that, keep your powder dry.

141 Responses to "V-2 Schneider"

1. Rugbypig says:

Trading a defensive defenceman for an offensive one is an interesting proposition.
    Who plays on Klefboms right side?
    Barrie is not a cycle breaker, and Bear is well matched with Nurse.

2. Woogie63 says:

I would keep Larsson and sign a 1B UFA goalie.

The play this year is;

On the left side- a few less minutes for Klefbom, and few more minutes for Jones and trade Russell
    On the right side- a few less minutes for Benning and a few more minutes for Bouchard,

Transition Bouchard the NHL
    Ensure we know what we have in Bear, Jones

3. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

My no trade list is as follows: McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard (because 3 yr ELC), and Yamamoto (because I think his player type is VITAL to winning a Cup).

Nuge can make his way onto the list with a long term contract renewal at a cap hit that doesn’t go too high and Bear isn’t far from being on it either. Everyone else is someone I absolutely consider trading for a return that fits the team’s needs. I doubt they would do it but if Florida considered something around Ekblad for Klefbom+ as part of their cap savings maneuvers, I actively pursue that.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

“I would not trade Oscar Klefbom, and I would not trade Darnell Nurse. Why? Caleb Jones, William Lagesson, Philip Broberg and Dmitri Samorukov are all matriculating but none are provably able to replace one of Nurse or Klefbom.”

Yup, this organization is a year away from potentially making a major move from the left side core. Wait, maybe its an in-season real hockey trade if Jones takes that Bear like step?

It would be done, the team could trade Nurse, AA and this year’s 3rd for Ehlers and a 2nd (give or take) and run with

Klefbom
    Jones
    Russell
    Laggeson

Maybe Jones studs it up from the beginning?

If he proves not ready or the gap is too big (likely) then Ehlers’ bump in the top 6 probably doesn’t off-set the bump down on the defence.

———————–

“I would trade Adam Larsson. Why? He is one year from free agency. Edmonton would need to replace him, as an Ethan Bear-Matt Benning-Evan Bouchard RH depth chart is thin on experience and lacks depth. Dealing Larsson for a goalie and then signing Tyson Barrie, Sami Vatanen or Chris Tanev is the play here. I’d pursue Dylan DeMelo with extreme prejudice.”

I understand the play but I don’t see the affordability. The key is the need to replace Larsson’s minutes in the to 4 and that is unlikely to be done for savings on his $4M. So how do we pay that replacement and the goalie?

5. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m fine with one more year of the slow build focussing in internal improvement (the likes of Bear, Jones and Bouchard taking minutes and ice away from Larsson, Russell and Benning will open up the transition game huge).

Sign a good bet but cheap 1B like Aaron Dell and find a way to move Russell for a bad contract but hole-filler coming back – Bjugstand, Sutter, etc.

Unless they can:

– move Russell to the dessert in a package for Rantta

OR

– do something with the likes of Columbus for a goalie and J. Anderson – AA plus ______ the other way (not 14).

6. who says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual:

And that’s a BIG contract. I’m not sure he’s any better than Klefbom at this point. And he costs a LOT more.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

“Trading Klefbom, unless the return is enormous, would likely be another example of the Oilers giving up the best player in the deal. If Colton Parayko is coming back, sign that deal. Failing that, keep your powder dry.”

Yes, 100 times yes. A Parayko type return I’m in to – anything less, I am not.

Ristolainan is NOT Parayko.

8. flea says:

Klefbom is part of the #1 PP in the NHL.

If he is traded expect the PP to take a hit, at least initially.

He might not be flash but he’s a incredible distributor at the top of the umbrella, and great at keeping pucks alive and flat.

Only way i think the trade works is if a better player (Parayko, Ekblad) is coming back, and Larson could them be cashed for a winger.

Still creates a pretty massive hole on the left side.

9. rocket says:

OIlers GM is in a tough situation. Little cap room. (4.5m$ in retained salary and buyouts). 3 RFA to sign. Needing more draft picks. Based on other teams playoffs – big bodies and shutdown defensemen are highly valued. Needing a upgrade to a 3 line center who is a righthand shot. Needing a solid backup goalie (or two solid goalies)… Agree with you Allan that DeMelo would be a good pickup. If the Oilers retain Koskinen then they will have only about 1.5M$ – 2.5M$ to spend on a backup goalie. They currently have over 18m$ tied up in their defensemen. Jones and Bear are going into their 2nd year – can they sustain and progress. If they bring up Bouchard and/or Lagesson then you have 3 or 4 1st/2nd year defensemen – not an ideal situation. How much do you pay Bear? Currently Oilers don’t have much caproom to spend on a quality 3rd line center or LW for Connor. Ennis is small bodied – do you resign him? He is very skilled. Oilers already have some small bodied forwards in RNH, Yam, Arch – can they afford to have another in Ennis or do you want a bigger body especially for the playoffs. Do you trade JJ Khaira who is a bigger body? Lots of questions – little room to manoeuver.

10. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

I came here for the Oilers, but I stay for the poetry…

“Holland is in a tough spot. He could be on the verge of a major opportunity with very little ability to get into a trade conversation. Putting it in 1970’s form, it’s like seeing Jan Smithers at a party and realizing you’re Ralph Malph”

11. dustrock says:

Part of the reason for the trade paralysis is the last times we’ve traded good players from our team (Petry, Hall, 16&33) it’s gone very, very poorly.

Seems foolish to me to have half the roster as untouchable.

The list should be 97 & 29 and that’s it. I personally don’t think this roster is a few tweaks away from sustained success.

Klefbom is on my no trade list except for Parayko. I would trade Klefbom for Parayko modulo stuff.

It is somewhat of a parallel move, but it balances the D better.

13. JimmyV1965 says:

flea:
    Klefbom is part of the #1 PP in the NHL.

If he is traded expect the PP to take a hit, at least initially.

Still creates a pretty massive hole on the left side.

Sorry, I totally disagree with this. Klef is not essential to the PP. He dishes to McDavid, Drai and mostly RNH. He doesn’t make any extraordinary passes deep, he never skates it in deep, and his shot is meh. He does seem good at keeping pucks in the ozone. The Oil do not need a PP QB because the three forwards do all the heavy lifting. Klef is a fine dman and I wouldn’t trade him, but he’s completely replaceable on the PP.

14. JimmyV1965 says:

My no trade list:
    McDavid
    Drai
    RNH
    Yama
    Nurse
    Klef

But really anyone is available for an overpay.

15. knighttown says:

There is definitely an alternative way of thinking about this. The two view points probably explain why there are GMs notorious for pulling the trigger on trades and there are others like Tambellini and Cheveldayoff who are far more reluctant.

Viewpoint 1- you can’t trade Nurse because Klefbom-Jones-Russell is too inexperienced.

But that viewpoint fails to properly weight how large the hole on left wing is and what Ehlers would do to that.

I think the “trader” types evaluate the trade backwards.

Viewpoint 2- if I had Ehlers at 1LW and my LD was Klefbom- Jones- Russell would I consider trading Ehlers for Nurse?

“Absolutely not” is the easy answer because you’d say a) We have no one that could step in and play 1LW and b) acquiring another LD with this depth and Broberg coming makes no sense.

16. JimmyV1965 says:

Hell, I would trade McDavid if it got me something like McKinnon and Makar or something like that.

Absolute no-trade. (McDavid, Draisaitl)
    Near absolute no-trade (Nugent-Hopkins, Nurse, Klefbom) — i.e the offer would have to be exceptional.
    Mostly no-trade (Bear, Broberg)
    Not likely to trade (Jones, Bouchard)

18. VanIsleOil says:

V-2 Schneider……the master at his creative best. This is the first song on Bowie’s soundtrack to the gritty 70’s German movie Christiane F. Album also has the best version of “Heroes” with some German lyrics.

19. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

who: I’d be very careful about Eckblad at this point. We don’t see Florida play much, but he hasn’t really stood out in the games I’ve watched. Seems to be running in place since he signed that contract.

Foreword: PLEASE LET THIS FORMATTING HOLD UP!!!

I’m not remotely concerned about him. I’d go as far as to say he’s FAR better than Klefbom where it counts.

5×5 P/60__19/20__18/19__17/18
    KLEF_____0.81___0.64___0.59
    EKB______1.54___0.88___0.83

Ekblad’s numbers have him JUST ahead of Nurse for 24th in the league among the sample (114 Dmen that have played 3000mins over the past 3 years) while Klefbom sits 95th. Ekblad’s cohort includes Klingberg, Gardiner, McDonagh, Nurse, Werenski, Braun, and Severson while Klefbom’s includes Myers, Russell, Scandella, Savard, Lindell, and Martinez.

STAT_____KLEF____EKB____RANKING*
    relGF%___-6.42____+5.60___(109th V 12th)
    relFF%___+0.81____+0.56___(51st V 59th)
    relSCF%__-0.79____-0.04___(77th V 59th)
    relHDCF%_+1.25___-1.21___(42nd V 79th)

*among 114 Dmen that have played 3000mins over the past 3 years

So while process numbers slightly favour Klef, the results are so far skewed rather heavily in Ekblad’s favour. Further, if we look at relGF rates the past 3 years (something I value highly), we see Ekblad has been trending up HARD (+2.36, +5.38, +10.15 the past 3 years) while Klef has stayed solidly in the red (-7.03, -9.03, -3.87 the past 3 years).

Maybe Klef plays harder minutes? Off to Puck IQ!!!

STAT______KLEF_____EKB____% of TOI Against
    rawDFF%__51.0%____49.9%___
    Vs Elites___46.3%____48.2%___(33.7 V 45.1)
    Vs Midd____52.1%____48.6%___(36.9 V 32.4)
    Vs Grits____55.6%____55.4%___(29.4 V 22.5)

relDFF%___+1.20____+0.97___
    Vs Elites___-0.20_____+0.04___(33.7 V 45.1)
    Vs Midd____+1.65____+0.01___(36.9 V 32.4)
    Vs Grits____+3.39____+5.36___(29.4 V 22.5)

on-iceGF__130/162__231/207__
    Vs Elites___46/47____82/49___(33.7 V 45.1)
    Vs Midd____46/56____79/92___(36.9 V 32.4)
    Vs Grits____38/59____70/66___(29.4 V 22.5)

Specifically, I’d like to note Ekblad’s incredible results against the opposition’s best while playing 45% of his minutes against them. The fact that he doesn’t get caved by the Grits like Klefbom is nice, too, but that’s likely a by-product of Klef having a weaker bottom-6 that plays with him during those minutes. As such, I won’t fault Klef there.

In short, I wouldn’t be remotely worried about Ekblad as he appears to be worth his contract, is just reaching his prime, and appears to have kicked his injury history.

20. who says:

JimmyV1965: Sorry, I totally disagree with this. Klef is not essential to the PP.He dishes to McDavid, Drai and mostly RNH. He doesn’t make any extraordinary passes deep, he never skates it in deep, and his shot is meh. He does seem good at keeping pucks in the ozone. The Oil do not need a PP QB because the three forwards do all the heavy lifting. Klef is a fine dman and I wouldn’t trade him, but he’s completely replaceable on the PP.

Agree completely.

21. Woogie63 says:

If the cap does not move up in the next three years this might be very short.

22. cowboy bill says:

I don’t think you can under estimate Jones & Lagesson . And I don’t think Nurse should be overestimated as it appears he has been with the contract he has been signed to . Keeping Larsson for another season while Bouchard continues to matriculate makes more sense. Russell can go but his contract is much more attractive than Nurse’s and a Nurse trade would get one of those coveted players the team so desperately needs .

23. Ryan says:

dustrock:

Seems foolish to me to have half the roster as untouchable.

The list should be 97 & 29 and that’s it.I personally don’t think this roster is a few tweaks away from sustained success.

That’s why I started following the Avs. It proves that I’m not crazy for thinking you can make hockey trades.

When you’re trading for need, the other GMs see you coming from a mile away.

The moment the GM is sitting around thinking, I need a LW to play with 97, who can I trade for, they’re already doing it wrong.

To make good trades, you have to turn it around and think about what other teams need. You have to also follow top prospects of other teams.

Teams tend to undervalue many prospects between when they’re drafted and when they have established NHL ability.

You have to understand that teams close to making a run will always pay more for what they need.

Winnipeg is obviously a team that has a strong core with a dire need for defensemen after the mass talent exodus led by Trouba and Byfuglien.

After Trouba, Chevy might be nervous about trading for a defenseman with only two years left.

Some teams seem to be able to seamlessly extend their players at reasonable rates.

Other teams tend to pay UFA rates to extend their players.

If you’re a team that often pays free agency rates, then you probably don’t want to put yourself in situations where you’re playing players right to the end of their contracts.

24. Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR says:

That Ralph Malph reference is sublime!. I’ve always seen Oilers management as more of a Potsy Webber scenario, but Malph might be where they are now.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

Sammy named KHL rookie of the week for week 1!

26. flea says:

If it’s not Klefbom – who’s up there? nurse? I don’t think he has the offensive IQ to be an everyday PP QB.

Jones – maybe but he lacks experience.

New RHD – sure but a RHD changes the complexion of the power play. They have to re work their passing lanes, and depending on the skills of the new RHD – they might have to change how their PP works. Not a terrible thing – but as I said – expect it to regress.

I don’t think Klefbom is as replaceable as you think on there. He’s been on that PP for YEARS now, and taking him off will have an impact. Can’t prove it, just have to wait n see.

27. JimmyV1965 says:

knighttown:
    There is definitely an alternative way of thinking about this.The two view points probably explain why there are GMs notorious for pulling the trigger on trades and there are others like Tambellini and Cheveldayoff who are far more reluctant.

I think the “trader” types evaluate the trade backwards.

28. Bag of Pucks says:

My no trade list is Connor, Leon, Klefbom, Broberg, Bouchard and Bear.

29. tavvey tune says:

JimmyV1965,

100%
    Klef is OK but is just a placeholder until one of the EBs is ready.
    Plus, he telegraphs every pass he makes. Pivots his entire bofy toward his target. Drives me crazy…

30. tavvey tune says:

tavvey tune,

*body*

31. leadfarmer says:

I’m guessing Tipp wants OEL.
    But I don’t know if there is much value in upgrading the leftorium with The tiny amount of cap we have left

32. Victoria Oil says:

GordieHoweHatTrick:
    I came here for the Oilers, but I stay for the poetry…

Is it legal to combine WKRP and Happy Days references?

33. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

I want to keep as much of the core as possible, but at the end of the day, if you can move one of those guys to address a significant need elsewhere in the line-up, you “have to do it”, because at the end of the day you end up with a better, more balanced roster. In this context pretty much anyone is tradable if they make the team better…that is the objective of the GM – make the roster better for now and the future.

In terms of LD, we cannot keep all our favorites over the next 2 years. Something(s) have to to give. There is too much pressure coming up from the bottom due to a perverse desire to constantly draft LD in the 1st round (and with some excellent later round draft picks and development). So this is the position from which trades have to come to balance the holes from shitty trades, dumb-ass signings and unbalanced drafting.

There is now an extra dynamic in the never ending quest to seeking a balanced roster in the new Covid-CAP era which realistically is going to last AT LEAST 2 more seasons. Slight overpay contracts are now pure poison and value contracts are a cure (vaccine). Unfortunately the Oilers don’t have many value contracts and they don’t have a lot of high probability prospects throughout the positions. They are STACKED at LD and it isn’t even close compared to the rest of the positions. So, Oilers fans, if you want your overall team to get better, prepare to say good bye to some of the value contract players, likely currently stationed at LD.

Klefbom is one of the most tradeable assets on the team. IF he is traded, one can only hope that a quality player in a position of need with a reasonable contract is coming back…

34. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

dustrock:

Seems foolish to me to have half the roster as untouchable.

Agree with this completely. And 97 or 29 should be available for the right overpay.

35. Bag of Pucks says:

As a Dman, I find Klefbom meh. He doesn’t have one tool that particularly stands out. But he is a value contract with utility. That’s rare on this team.

Larsson and RNH have to be the top priorities for trade given their contract status.

Koskinen needs to elevate in the worst way. He doesn’t make saves as much as he relies on pucks to hit his big frame. For that reason, I find his rebound control lacking. Can you trade him now with that contract? Doubtful. Can they consult with the guy who taught Dubnyk to move his head ? lol

Beyond that, Holland needs to chop out deadwood contracts that can’t piss a drop simply because they’re willing to block shots on the PK. Patrick Russell’s resigning is not an encouraging step in this regard.

The Dutchman could fast track this rebuild if he’s willing to part with picks or prospects to deal contracts like Russell, Koskinen or Neal. A GM under ‘win now’ pressure might do that. I don’t get the sense that’s Kenny’s that guy.

If a team would take Neal or Koski off your hands for Jesse and a good pick coming back, would you do it? I might. JP is a sunk cost at this point.

36. Ryan says:

Bag of Pucks:

I worry about Kenny.

I think he thought Brett Connolly was a done deal when he bought out Sekera.

I’m not sure that he’s aware of all the challenges facing a team in the NHL’s most northern outpost.

Obviously, it will be an abject disaster if we play out the Nuge contract and goes to free agency.

I hope he has a good read on that situation.

For much of his tenure in Detroit, it was a desirable location for players.

Losing Larsson in the same manner would certainly be less than ideal.

While Koskinen’s .889 from the play in round is fresh in our minds, he was seventh in the NHL in SV% for goalies playing 2000 minutes during the regular season.

With two years left on his contract, I’d hold onto Koskinen for now barring a miracle where you could trade his contract for picks or get value back in a trade.

We’ve traded a ton of picks already.

I think the best course is to rely on internal development and hold steady for next season.

It’s certainly imperative to avoid taking on more water with more poor value contracts.

After that, you probably buyout Neal or trade him if possible.

Pouliout’s buyout and Russell are off the books. Sekera’s buyout cap drops a million to $1.5m.

Victoria Oil: Is it legal to combine WKRP and Happy Days references?

Nanu nanu!

38. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Victoria Oil: Is it legal to combine WKRP and Happy Days references?

Poetic license…

39. Bag of Pucks says:

Ryan,

I’m absolutely ok with another year of patiently adding value contracts IF Ken gets full value for Larsson and RNH. Holland HAS to win those trades. Doing so could be transformative.

Should clarify I’m absolutely happy with RNH on a value deal, but to me, that is not signing him at a UFA price premium. Nuge at $7mil+ would limit this build in so many ways. You simply can’t pay complimentary Ws that much and call it value imo. Pay the drivers and build out value depth around them. That’s the play.

To the melody of TLC. “Don’t go chasing unicorns….”

40. tavvey tune says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: Poetic license…

Well done!

41. Gerta Rauss says:

godot10: Nanu nanu!

LoL

I was working on a Mork and Mindy reference but this will do

42. nathen99 says:

Gerta Rauss,

First time poster trade proposal nurse chaison 2021 first pool party and KesserLing, hate spell check to Montreal for domi,danault 2020 2nd salaries work Stanley Cup forward potential what say people think it’s realistic as well

43. Gerta Rauss says:

nathen99,

I’m a big Nurse fan so I wouldn’t do that but plenty of people would disagree with me

Something has gotta give with that left side though, not sure Kenny makes that move this summer, or next summer once he sees what Jones is

44. nathen99 says:

Gerta Rauss,

Fair enough I think Jones is better than nurse when all said and done could definitely be wrong though

45. who says:

Bag of Pucks:

Koskinen is the only NHL goalie on the roster, he’s reasonably priced, and we want to add an asset in order to dump him? It doesn’t make sense.

46. OriginalPouzar says:

Rugbypig:
    Who plays on Klefboms right side?
    Barrie is not a cycle breaker, and Bear is well matched with Nurse.

Two coaches in Toronto refused to play Barrie above the 3rd pairing.

Barrie will likely be more expensive than Larsson is on the cap and not able to play as many, or as tough, 5 on 5 minutes.

Yes, Barrie would be on upgrade on offensive skill and puck transition and that would be nice but with the internal improvement that we will see in that area over the next 0-2 years, I don’t think signing a Barrie makes any sense for this team.

Lets not forget, the minutes and ice for Russell, Larsson and Benning will be replaced by Jones, Bear and Bouchard over the next while – the transition to “more transition” internally has already started with Bear and Jones.

47. OriginalPouzar says:

Woogie63:
    I would keep Larsson and sign a 1B UFA goalie.

The play this year is;

TransitionBouchard the NHL
    Ensure we know what we have in Bear, Jones

Agreed, 100%.

To the extent Russell can be moved for cap space or an over-priced 3C, that is the one external acquisitoin – add an Aaron Dell for a cheap but good bet 1B for Mikko.

Next off-season…..

48. Ryan says:

nathen99:
    Gerta Rauss,

First time poster trade proposalnurse chaison 2021 first pool partyand KesserLing,hate spell check to Montreal for domi,danault 2020 2nd salaries work Stanley Cup forward potentialwhat say people think it’s realistic as well

Habs fan?

That deal is really unbalanced for the Oilers.

That’s way too much to pay for Domi and Denault.

It’s even worse when you see that Denault is 27 with one year left on his contract.

Domi is an RFA with arb rights and he wants to get paid.

I think Domi’s next contract will be difficult.

49. Material Elvis says:

JimmyV1965: We need to add a good player without taking away a good player. That’s really how teams improve significantly. I hate to give a nod to HH, but the Miller trade made a big difference for the Canucks this year. I agree with your premise, but ultimately we’re better on the wing and worse at defense.

We need the cap space to add a good player without taking away a good player. The Oilers should be in a position to do this in two years. Until then, they should keep the picks and build the forward prospect pool. Your nod should be given to Godot who was advocating for Miller before the Canucks pulled the trigger. As an aside, even Godot did not foresee the offensive spike coming from Miller. Will the Oilers get that kind of impact in two years?

50. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

OriginalPouzar: Two coaches in Toronto refused to play Barrie above the 3rd pairing.

Agree – stay away from Barrie…

51. nathen99 says:

Rugbypig,

Klefbom bear Jones Larsen Benning Russell l ages son as 7 nurse traded for forwards

52. nathen99 says:

who,

Keep Neal kskinen is fine trade nurse since I feel Jones eat his lunch twice on Sundays dump pool party and chaison conner likes buddy nurse likes Stanley more minus nurse chaison 2021 first for 2020 second domi and danault u don’t have two best players in league to shit the bed get her done montreal

53. nathen99 says:

Ryan,

Pay domi nurse salary to play with conner he will accept 5.6 third line above parwith danault easy yes look at final 4 plus 3 line centers Jones can cover imo our time is now conner and the Dr need success 2022 first is not needed this year 2nd is a saw off to 2021 1st in hooland I trust I remember the eighties a heady time.

54. Bag of Pucks says:

who: I can understand paying a significant asset to dump the Neal contract, but why are you (and other posters) so concerned with the Koskinen contract? It’s 4.5 million for 2 more years. And he covered the bet last year.

If you see Koskinen as Cup winning quality, we’ll have to agree to disagree. I see elite size but not elite skills.

55. nathen99 says:

nathen99,

2021 first pops fat fingers

56. Reja says:

flea: Still – there is strong chemistry there. Klefbom makes a lot of little plays on the top powerplay unit that allow the others to shine up there.

Jones – maybe but he lacks experience.

Some point magnet that’s on the cheap for the next 3 years could step in tomorrow and handle the duties no problemo. The PP can’t run the same look are teams will key on it Letestu was lights out a few years ago Leon with the one timer the previous year. I believe Bouchard has more touch on his passes for one timers can straddle the line AKA Larry Murphy flashbacks and unlike Schultz he’s able to get that seeing eye shot through defenders and to the goalkeeper. It’s time to shit are get off the pot with Bouchard I know he’s not a Holland pick but his time is now are else package him up in a deal For a forward with a scoring touch.

57. Woodguy v2.0 says:

*****WARNING SPAM*****

New Because Oilers:

Edmonton Oilers’ 3C search #3 – Tyler Bozak

*****END SPAM*****

58. Jaxon says:

Of 16 Mock Drafts I compiled, players who were unavailable to the Oilers @#14 in any mock:
    1 Alexis Lafreniere

16 Seth Jarvis 68.75% – most likely
    17 Rodion Amirov 87.50% – just about almost certain
    18 Dylan Holloway 93.75% – almost certain
    19 Connor Zary 93.75% – almost certain

20 Mavrik Bourque 100.00% – certainly
    21 Noel Gunler 100.00% – certainly

Okay, it gets difficult to parse between the descriptions. I started to confuse myself when I really thought about the difference between very likely and most likely and the rest, haha. But you get the picture.

Don’t pin your hopes on Lundell, Quinn or Sanderson, although there is a slim chance. I’m hopeful for Askarov but I’m not betting the farm on it. There’s a good chance that the rest will still be there.

I’m still hoping in this order: Askarov, Jarvis, Zary, Holloway, Bourque, Schneider. And I doubt I’d need a list that long as if one of them isn’t available that means the others have slipped.

Spreadsheet:

59. buck yoakam says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Really great info and I’m sure a lot of work to put together…you are the jeff beck of our analytics folks!…thanks so much for this….just hope kennys paying attention

60. pts2pndr says:

knighttown:

I think the “trader” types evaluate the trade backwards.

Bottom line is does a trade of Ehlers for Nurse make you a better team now? The answer is no. You do not have a puck moving minute munching physical D for the second pairing. You have no idea if Ehlers will mesh with McDavid. You may think you are better as a team and you may be on paper. The only place paper assures anything is in the bathroom. You know for certain that the trade makes you worse on D and you “hope” Ehlers is a fit with McDavid.

61. Ryan says:

nathen99:
    Ryan,

Pay domi nurse salary to play with conner he will accept 5.6 third line above parwith danault easy yes look at final 4 plus 3 line centers Jones can cover imo our time is now conner and the Dr needsuccess 2022 first is not needed this year 2ndis a saw off to 2021 1st in hooland I trust I remember the eighties a heady time.

I wouldn’t touch that trade, but obviously we’d load up for next season up front.

Obviously, if Denault walks, you just traded Nurse JP, and a first for Domi and a second which is a terrible trade.

With Denault and Domi along with 29, 97, and 93, we’d have possibly the best depth at Centre in the history of the game.

Denault is interesting. Woodmoney stats love him.

Montreal traded two rental forwards at the deadline for Denault and a second rounder, 2018 back in 2016.

At the time, Denault was a 22 y/o with 0.54 pt/g in the AHL.

Very nice trade for Montreal.

It pays to scout other team’s prospects.

62. pts2pndr says:

17Rodion Amirov87.50% – just about almost certain
    18Dylan Holloway93.75% – almost certain
    19Connor Zary93.75% – almost certain

20Mavrik Bourque100.00% – certainly
    21Noel Gunler100.00% – certainly

Spreadsheet:

Why is Mercer not on or near the top of your hope list?

63. OriginalPouzar says:

flea:
    Klefbom is part of the #1 PP in the NHL.

If he is traded expect the PP to take a hit, at least initially.

Still creates a pretty massive hole on the left side.

I agree with you at a high level on the PP. I think Klef’s contribution that PP this year was under-rated.

As you said, he did a great job distributing the puck (and the “right play” isn’t as easy as it may seem just because of the great talent out there) and improved immensely in that regard and at zone keeps.

With that said, I do think that its important to reduce Klef’s minutes to the extent possible and, while PP minutes are the “easiest minutes” it makes sense to start to work the likes of Bear on the PP1 with maybe a sprinkle of Bouchard (or Jones) depending on how things are going.

Bear and Bouchard each have high end PP pedigree.

64. pts2pndr says:

nathen99:
    who,

Keep Neal kskinen is fine trade nurse since I feel Jones eat his lunch twice on Sundays dump pool party and chaison conner likes buddy nurse likes Stanley more minus nurse chaison2021 first for 2020 second domi and danault u don’t have two best players in league to shit the bed get her done montreal

Jones holds his own in small sample size on second pairing. Nurse playing first pairing with Bear has very good numbers against higher quality opponents. Jones couldn’t eat Nurse’s lunch even if he took two big friends with him!

65. Jaxon says:

pts2pndr: Why is Mercer not on or near the top of your hope list?

Because I think they should draft a C (unless it’s Jarvis, who I think is a real steal)… I’m a firm ebeliever that if there ins’t a lot of distance between two forwards you take the C. It will give you much more flexibility down the road. Just look at where the Oilers have played both Nugent-Hopkins and Draisaitl. Centers can almost alwayts play wing, but it is very rare for a winger to move to C if he didn’t play C at lower levels. That said, I just looked a bit more into Mercer and he has played some C (wing is still his main position though), so maybe I’ll need to revisit.

Askarov, Jarvis, Zary, Mercer, Holloway, Bourque, Schneider?

66. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Material Elvis: We need the cap space to add a good player without taking away a good player.The Oilers should be in a position to do this in two years.Until then, they should keep the picks and build the forward prospect pool.Your nod should be given to Godot who was advocating for Miller before the Canucks pulled the trigger.As an aside, even Godot did not foresee the offensive spike coming from Miller.Will the Oilers get that kind of impact in two years?

McDavid to BUF for Eichel, Dahlin and the resulting $4+M in cap space? Fixes a lot of problems, no?

67. who says:

Bag of Pucks: I thought he was mediocre in the play-in and I place high priority on the quality of the 1G. Contract is too rich for a backup or even 1B.

I’m still not sure what Koskinen is. He seems about league average for a starter. But you can win a cup if your average goalie gets hot.
    I hope Edmonton has better options in 2 years. Or Koskinen takes anotherstep. I’m just not willing to give up an asset just to flush him.

68. knighttown says:

pts2pndr: Bottom line is does a trade of Ehlers for Nurse make you a better team now? The answer is no. You do not have a puck moving minute munching physical D for the second pairing.You have no idea if Ehlers will mesh with McDavid. You may think you are better as a team and you may be on paper. The only place paper assures anything is in the bathroom. You know for certain that the trade makes you worse on D and you “hope” Ehlers is a fit with McDavid.

Is it because you aren’t familiar with Ehlers? As a thought experiment let’s call Ehlers, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. So you’re moving Nurse for Nuge.

Yes you’ve downgraded the defence; Nurse out and Jones in.

Buy you know have RNH playing on both the first and second lines.

Are you still so sure?

69. nathen99 says:

pts2pndr,

Fair enough time we’ll tell! Jones miss nurse is a good trade domi Mc d and k assign is so much better then losing nurse for a shot ty pick in a year

70. nathen99 says:

nathen99,

I st or second our window is now

71. pts2pndr says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual: Foreword: PLEASE LET THIS FORMATTING HOLD UP!!!

5×5 P/60__19/20__18/19__17/18
    KLEF_____0.81___0.64___0.59
    EKB______1.54___0.88___0.83

STAT_____KLEF____EKB____RANKING*
    relGF%___-6.42____+5.60___(109th V 12th)
    relFF%___+0.81____+0.56___(51st V 59th)
    relSCF%__-0.79____-0.04___(77th V 59th)
    relHDCF%_+1.25___-1.21___(42nd V 79th)

*among 114 Dmen that have played 3000mins over the past 3 years

Maybe Klef plays harder minutes? Off to Puck IQ!!!

STAT______KLEF_____EKB____% of TOI Against
    rawDFF%__51.0%____49.9%___
    Vs Elites___46.3%____48.2%___(33.7 V 45.1)
    Vs Midd____52.1%____48.6%___(36.9 V 32.4)
    Vs Grits____55.6%____55.4%___(29.4 V 22.5)

relDFF%___+1.20____+0.97___
    Vs Elites___-0.20_____+0.04___(33.7 V 45.1)
    Vs Midd____+1.65____+0.01___(36.9 V 32.4)
    Vs Grits____+3.39____+5.36___(29.4 V 22.5)

on-iceGF__130/162__231/207__
    Vs Elites___46/47____82/49___(33.7 V 45.1)
    Vs Midd____46/56____79/92___(36.9 V 32.4)
    Vs Grits____38/59____70/66___(29.4 V 22.5)

The kicker is eckblad is getting paid 3.5 million more than Klefbom

72. dustrock says:

Figure out whatever the hell Trotz is doing with the Isles D and apply it to our corpse.

73. pts2pndr says:

knighttown: I don’t get this logic at all. Of course trading a Top 4 defence for a forward weakens the defence. But just as obviously, acquiring a Top line forward will strengthen your forwards so why do you say “hope”?

Yes you’ve downgraded the defence; Nurse out and Jones in.

Buy you know have RNH playing on both the first and second lines.

Are you still so sure?

The only player that has been a total fit with McDavid has been Draisaitl. It was AA would be a good fit and didn’t happen. I really like Ehlers but I don’t think that it’s necessarily going to be a fit. Before we trade away Nurse without adequate back up, I believe it prudent to see how Benson fits on the left side. If we were offered that deal and they would take Russel and give us a second round pick I would go with it in that it would allow the addition of another D if required. To move Nurse this year I think the team needs an overpay.

74. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    *****WARNING SPAM*****

New Because Oilers:

Edmonton Oilers’ 3C search #3 – Tyler Bozak

*****END SPAM*****

How about Danault? Not as expensive as Bozak and on the outs in Mtl.

75. jeetz says:

I like Nurse . His puck skating skills and physical play makes him a bit of a unicorn as an NHL defenseman. But his deficiencies make his next contract a bad one. He is replaceable with a different second pairing type. We have the depth on def.

I think nurse for Ehlers opens up al kinds of interesting possibilities

76. Koof says:

Go out and get Palmeri and Killorn for McDavid . Palmeiri is the one shot scorer and Killorn the 2 way winger that can be net front. That would.make oiler top line around 21million which isn’t that bad in comparison to other teams. It would also force people into more realistic roles and not just spot duty on top line.

Stop trying to use the logic that McDavid =fast therefore linemates =fast.

He needs IQ more than he needs speed. I am.still dumbfounded they didn’t take Debrincat or get Burakovsky for him.

jeetz: Actually, this is exactly the trade the Oilers need to make. Ehlers/McDavid allows RNH Drai Yamo. 2 #1 lines. Pushes every other FWD into the bottom 6. Real strength there.

I think nurse for Ehlers opens up al kinds of interesting possibilities

PuckIQ and SportLogiq don’t appear to reveal the deficiencies you speak off. Your eyes deceive you.

78. leadfarmer says:

godot10: PuckIQ and SportLogiq don’t appear to reveal the deficiencies you speak off.Your eyes deceive you.

Or there is a problem with the data
    I have trouble believing any data that has Nurse as a top puck moving D
    Doesn’t come close to the eyeball

79. nathen99 says:

pts2pndr,

We shall see something had to give on the left side would you rather nurse leave for one spot in depth chart or potentially trade him as a major piece for two spots plus a dump of chaison which has to happen imo

80. Munny says:

leadfarmer: Or there is a problem with the data
    I have trouble believing any data that has Nurse as a top puck moving D
    Doesn’t come close to the eyeball

Since we have two independent sources providing the data, the data doesn’t appear to be the problem.

Human fallability on the other hand…

81. pts2pndr says:

Jaxon,

That’s fair! I saw him listed as right wing/centre. I concur completely on drafting centres ahead of wingers.

82. jp says:

Cup winning goalies:

2019 Binnington (25 year old rookie)
    2018 Holtby
    2017 Murray
    2016 Murray (rookie)
    2015 Crawford
    2014 Quick
    2013 Crawford
    2012 Quick
    2011 Thomas
    2010 Niemi
    2009 Fleury
    2008 Osgood (and Holland won earlier cups with Osgood and Vernon in net)
    2007 Giguere
    2006 Ward

That’s not exactly a list of all Vezina winners. Lots of them were good but not great.

I don’t know if Koskinen is cup winning quality either (as WHO said) but to me he doesn’t stick out particularly from that list of tenders. Maybe he’ll always choke in the playoffs but he had a better regular season save% this year than half the cup winners (and on a worse team then pretty much all of them).

83. pts2pndr says:

nathen99:
    pts2pndr,

We shall see something had to give on the left side would you rather nurseleavefor one spot in depth chart or potentiallytrade him as a majorpiece for two spots plus a dump of chaison which has to happen imo

84. Harpers Hair says:

jp: Cup winning goalies:

2019 Binnington (25 year old rookie)
    2018 Holtby
    2017 Murray
    2016 Murray (rookie)
    2015 Crawford
    2014 Quick
    2013 Crawford
    2012 Quick
    2011 Thomas
    2010 Niemi
    2009 Fleury
    2008 Osgood (and Holland won earlier cups with Osgood and Vernon in net)
    2007 Giguere
    2006 Ward

Now go take a look at who each of those teams had playing #1D.

85. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Now go take a look at who each of those teams had playing #1D.

Quinn Hughes?

86. OriginalPouzar says:

GordieHoweHatTrick:

In terms of LD, we cannot keep all our favorites over the next 2 years. Something(s) have to to give. There is too much pressure coming up from the bottom due to a perverse desire to constantly draftLD in the 1st round (and with some excellent later round draft picks and development). So this is the position from which trades have to come to balance the holes from shitty trades, dumb-ass signings and unbalanced drafting.

1) the team is a year away from being able to make the move you suggest due to cap reasons and roster structure – one more year of development for Jones (and Broberg and Sammy) on that left side is key to mitigating the loss of a top 4 d-men. Klef plays 25 minutes a game – yes, too much, but those minutes are still munched.

2) you mention value contracts as “the cure” and then suggest that Klefbom is traded. While he’s not a plus top pairing d-man, his contract is indeed one of the value contracts on the team where a player outperforms the contract.

87. nathen99 says:

Love my oil want change make change imo

88. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

jp: Cup winning goalies:

2019 Binnington (25 year old rookie)
    2018 Holtby
    2017 Murray
    2016 Murray (rookie)
    2015 Crawford
    2014 Quick
    2013 Crawford
    2012 Quick
    2011 Thomas
    2010 Niemi
    2009 Fleury
    2008 Osgood (and Holland won earlier cups with Osgood and Vernon in net)
    2007 Giguere
    2006 Ward

He wasn’t “Bad” in the play-ins, but he didn’t steal a game either…

MK is an average-above average goalie in the NHL and as of now is paid in the range of that value.

89. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t disagree with most of what you said or the premise although I would opine:

1) the team is a year away from being able to make the move you suggest due to cap reasons and roster structure – one more year of development for Jones (and Broberg and Sammy) on that left side is key to mitigating the loss of a top 4 d-men.Klef plays 25 minutes a game – yes, too much, but those minutes are still munched.

2) you mention value contracts as “the cure” and then suggest that Klefbom is traded.While he’s not a plus top pairing d-man, his contract is indeed one of the value contracts on the team where a player outperforms the contract.

90. Brantford Boy says:

JimmyV1965: Hell, I would trade McDavid if

I stopped reading after that…

91. nathen99 says:

FYI danault and domi is change you all want sorry can’t give shit for shine left d is where you give!

92. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: I am not promoting the idea of an imminent trade. I am only helping rationalize why it is going to happen at some point.

*why “a trade of a Nurse or Klefbom” is going to happen at some point (one of the top 2 LDs)*

93. nathen99 says:

nathen99,

Fun times if you can’t remember times when percentage equals success u never played the game I’m sure Meester and smiyrh numbers sucked yet 11 and soon 94 in the rafters

94. Ryan says:

leadfarmer: How about Danault? Not as expensive as Bozak and on the outs in Mtl.

Where did you hear that he’s on the outs?

He plays on their top line.

What would be the price for one year of Danault?

How much does he cost to sign after his one-year of remaining contract runs out?

95. nathen99 says:

nathen99,

nathen99,

Gonoilrs

96. nathen99 says:

s wher

97. nathen99 says:

Trade from strength klefbom value nurse soon less value when nurse gone and parade on Stanley ttyl

98. nathen99 says:

Ryan,

A first pool party and left d prospect I am thinking Montreal needs all the above admit though I don’t really know

99. who says:

nathen99:

Try to speak in complete sentences.
    It would make your point of view much easier to understand for the rest of us.

100. nathen99 says:

We need someone for conner !!! 3 line center if you can get both for 1st we don’t need 2021 and nurse and a Finnish flake and it works $ and what Montreal needs nurse is great player just gets us what’s needed! Shit islanders in 80 give us there dynasty for mess worked our for Sather thank my gords

101. nathen99 says:

nathen99,

Touche

102. leadfarmer says:

Ryan: Where did you hear that he’s on the outs?

He plays on their top line.

What would be the price for one year of Danault?

103. leadfarmer says:

jp: Cup winning goalies:

2019 Binnington (25 year old rookie)
    2018 Holtby
    2017 Murray
    2016 Murray (rookie)
    2015 Crawford
    2014 Quick
    2013 Crawford
    2012 Quick
    2011 Thomas
    2010 Niemi
    2009 Fleury
    2008 Osgood (and Holland won earlier cups with Osgood and Vernon in net)
    2007 Giguere
    2006 Ward

We have been seeing the end of the #1 70 game starter goalie vanish. Now is this the beginning of having 2 goalies ready to play?

104. Victoria Oil says:

who: Try to speak in complete sentences.
    It would make yourpoint of view much easier to understand for the rest of us.

He’s writing in Tikkanese.

105. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

leadfarmer,

Having a 1A/1B arrangement only makes sense on a number of levels.

— internal competition
    — injury/slump cover
    — reduce fatigue

Having a strong call up option bubbling under is the ideal alignment so long as the three headed monster is avoided.

106. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan: Habs fan?

That deal is really unbalanced for the Oilers.

That’s way too much to pay for Domi and Denault.

Domi is an RFA with arb rights and he wants to get paid.

I think Domi’s next contract will be difficult.

I love Danault – he’d be great on this team (i think) and he was a player I was willing to pay more for in assets at the deadline (given the year extra). I agree with you though, one year left to UFA provides risk unless an extension can be talked about and there is also the concern of paying players UFA money for their 30s.

I mainly was responding to agree with you on Domi and his contract – I think this player is going to dig in for apx $6M and term – I wouldn’t get serious about acquiring him without advanced contract negotiations (after permission).

Both those players have recent spoke out in the media about issues with how they’ve been used (Domi wants to be a center and Danault wants to play higher than 3C) – that provides me concern on both those players.

107. pts2pndr says:

jp: Quinn Hughes?

Rohan laughtree

108. Pescador says:

jp: Quinn Hughes?

Cale Makar?

109. Harpers Hair says:

You won’t win a cup with an average goaltender and a gaggle of B grade defensemen no matter how many you have.

110. leadfarmer says:

I admire what the Isles have done
    But they’re no match to the guys that will win the cup

111. OriginalPouzar says:

Mikael Granlund’s agent stating they won’t re-sign prior to free agency and will test the market.

Has played center in the past but really a winger these days.

He was a target of mine at the deadline and I think he could fit well in the top 6.

With that said, I anticipate he was $5M plus for term so that’s really a non-starter.

I’d still like to see Holland kick the tires on Bonino but, again, cap. Nashville may be interested it the $1.5M salary outlay left on his $4M AAV contract…..

Harpers Hair:

I think Markstrom is a little more than an average goaltender.

113. OriginalPouzar says:

Rishaug is reporting that the Oilers are close to signing Adam Cracknell – yes, Adam Cracknell.

Rishaug speculates that it would be a depth signing for the minors and potential call-up option.

114. DieHard says:

leadfarmer,

Team budget for Goalers is what around 10%, so 8M ish. That’s two 4-5M per. Are we looking for a 4M Goalie? Who could that be.

115. buck yoakam says:

Victoria Oil,

I really think so…I really think so…he says..casually hoisting his rather large pants

116. Gerta Rauss says:

OriginalPouzar:

All our problems are solved LoL

117. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:

Hahaha (apologies to the Cracknell family)

(and he does actually look like a decent AHL/KHL pro as a depth Bakersfield option)

118. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: Or there is a problem with the data
    I have trouble believing any data that has Nurse as a top puck moving D
    Doesn’t come close to the eyeball

Really?

My eyeballs show me that he is indeed elite at skating the puck out of the defensive zone (with control) and entering the offensive zone (with control). Combine that with that fact that he is indeed good at getting the puck back in the defensive zone (that’s not the same skill as defensive zone awareness, recognizing the danger areas and not going puck chasing).

He’s not adept at passing for length but he is adept at clean exits and entries.

The one stat that surprised me is the percentage of his zone entires that led to scoring changes – better than my eyes tell me.

Of course, transitioning the puck via pass is more efficient and leads to fast break chances more than transitioning by skate but, still, his out and in skills are very good.

119. jp says:

Harpers Hair:

And I thought Holland needed to move #14 for McDavid winger.

Now I wonder if a 1D or 1G is even more needed.

It sounds pretty hopeless for this franchise actually.

120. OriginalPouzar says:

pts2pndr: I just see moving Nurse this year as premature. The team has finally gotten to the point where the D is a strength and deep enough where one injury isn’t catastrophic. Giving Bouchard a shot at winning a spot and another development year for Broberg and Samorukov assure us of continuing with a strong D moving forward.This also allows us to move Russel at the trade deadline freeing up cap. By this time next year we will have more cap room and be able to move one of Klefbom and or Nurse which should allow for a major add at forward. For me timing is the key.

I agree with most of this. I believe the current roster dynamic and development stage of our defensive group has a material move a year away (and dependant on some continued progression of, mainly, Jones).

I can’t agree or Russell and the time of his trade though. I think all efforts have to be made to move on from that contract now so that one external improvement is made – be it a winger, a 3C or a more substantial 1B.

I don’t imagine any scenario where the Oilers are heading towards the playoffs and Russell is sold off – even if he is a depth piece. Its a “Kris Russell on an expiring contract” that Holland would likely be adding at that time (as we saw with a Mike Green acquisition even with plenty of defensive depth heading in to the stretch).

121. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: He was not happy with his role as Suzuki and Kotkaniemi got the bump and was speaking out about it

I think he played most of the regular season with Tatar and Gallagher but has gone on record after the season that he wants to be put in more offensive situations than a 3C – must be speaking to playoff useage?

He would not be cheap asset wise to acquire – he is a selke-vote center who can play in the top 6.

He’s got one year left and I imagine is going to want term and to hit with his UFA contract.

I’d love the player but his next contract worries me – its that UFA regressing 30s contract.

I was all over acquiring him at the deadline – willing to pay a bit more but not full price as my premise was a one-year rental. I’m generally against signing UFA-regressing 30s contracts – Nuge excepted.

122. OriginalPouzar says:

I think the set-up of this year’s post-season has led to team’s using multiple tenders more than a normal playoff.

Last year, you know how many goalies started playoff games? 17. In the entire playoffs, only one team used a 2nd goalie.

As of late last week you know how many goalies had started games in the post-season? 38. 24 teams and 38 different goalies.

Yes, there had been some injuries (Colorado, Vancouver, etc.) but I’m not sure that this post-season can be taken as the new norm. That would be a very marked shift in one year.

I agree that the “2-goalie system is clearly becoming more used and important but I think the playoffs will continue to be a one-goalie show for the most part – when the tournament gets back to “normal”.

123. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar: Really?

You need to play the game with speed and that means don’t let the opposition get set up defensively
    So that bumps up his zone exits
    Bear is our best defenseman at moving the puck up “effectively”
    Nurse is good at getting the puck set up in the offensive zone but seems kind of lost once he gets it there

124. OriginalPouzar says:

DieHard:
    leadfarmer,

Team budget for goalies for all teams is not equal.

The Oilers have material dead money (retained, buyouts, bonuse overage) plus a $4M 7D plus a $5.75M 3/4LW plus PP guy, etc.

That reduces the amount that can be spent in other areas.

In order to acquire a $4M goalie, be it signing a Khodobin or trading for a Murray, they need to dispose.

Right now the budget for the goalie is Aaron Dell (or over-paying in assets to entice Pit to let go of DeSmith) and, personally, even if $4M could be found, I’d prefer that was spent elsewhere on a short term forward acquisition.

125. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: I find skating out with the puck for a d man to be a negative unless there are no outlet options
    So that bumps up his zone exits
    Bear is our best defenseman at moving the puck up “effectively”

With that said, his ability to “get it out and get it in” does have value.

Where the stats don’t meet my personal eye test (or yours) is indicated in the end of your post. It seems, from the data, a higher percentage of his zone entires lead to scoring chances than others on the team – materially.

OriginalPouzar: Yes, Bear is the best at effectively transitioning the puck as I agree with you that passing the puck out is more efficient than skating it (generally) and helps create fast break offence – I referenced as much in my post.

With that said, his ability to “get it out and get it in” does have value.

Nurse plays more with McDavid andd scoring more points than other blue five on five and I’m not certain there’s any conclusions to make in terms of his playing with 97 helping results.

Nurse with McDavid 2-16-18 in 600:31 (1.80 five on five points per 60)
    Nurse without McDavid 2-6-8 in 770:42 (0.62 five on five points per 60)

Klefbom with McDavid 1-6-7 in 291:12 (1.44 five on five points per 60)
    Klebom without McDavid 2-6-8 in 819:04 (0.59 five on five points per 60)

127. pts2pndr says:

So that bumps up his zone exits
    Bear is our best defenseman at moving the puck up “effectively”

The exception is when the D man beats his check it normally sets up an odd man rush the other way.

128. Harpers Hair says:

Lowetide: I think Markstrom is a little more than an average goaltender.

He certainly was this season.

In many ways, the Oilers and Canucks are polar opposites.

The Oilers have been drafting so many defensemen while the Canucks actually had three undrafted defensemen in their playoff lineup.

At the same time, the Oilers can’t find enough quality forwards to fill the top six while the Canucks arguably have even got when Leivo is healthy.

Going forward though, the Canucks have the advantage of having a true #1 modern defenseman in Quinn Hughes who has already arrived while the Oilers are hoping one of their D prospects might reach that level someday.

Both teams are hamstrung by dead cap money for a year but then things open up for both teams.

I’m sure you’re aware that Pronman is doing a deep dive into the young prospects each team has and ranked the Oilers bottom five and the Canucks (still to be revealed) are likely to be top five.

Given the Canucks have better goaltending, a true #1D and more centres than they know what to do with, I would think Holland has his work cut out for him to keep pace.

Should be an interesting match to watch.

129. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

pts2pndr: The kicker is eckblad is getting paid 3.5 million more than Klefbom

Which he’s worth by my estimation.

Harpers Hair: He certainly was this season.

In many ways, the Oilers and Canucks are polar opposites.

Should be an interesting match to watch.

131. jp says:

Yes you’ve downgraded the defence; Nurse out and Jones in.
    Buy you know have RNH playing on both the first and second lines.
    Are you still so sure?

That’s a quality thought experiment.

132. jp says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: I believe the coach’s decision to play “1B” to start the series was a bit of a confidence rattling mind-#@%# for MK. Granted, he is a professional and should get over these things quickly, I think that decision plants a small seed of doubt. But who knows…

He wasn’t “Bad” in the play-ins, but he didn’t steal a game either…

I wouldn’t go too far trying to make excuses for player performance, though agreed Koskinen would have had to be disappointed not to get the game 1 start.

And yeah, not notably bad in the play-in but he certainly didn’t go above and beyond. The whole team had issues though, so he wasn’t alone.

Otherwise, agreed that he’s paid fairly for what he appears to be (even if he hadn’t earned that deal on the day of signing).

133. JimmyV1965 says:

I don’t get the chatter about trading Nurse for Ehlers. Sure it improves our offence, but it weakens our defence. So any gains will be marginal. We need to add a player without giving up a regular. Although I’ve advocated trading Larsson, I only say that because he’s a pending free agent with back issues. And he really played maybe quality 20 games last year so we’re really not losing a regular.

The way to improve this team is by trading picks or signing free agents. I’ve always been strongly opposed to signing expensive free agents because it almost always bites you in the ass. But this year might actually be different. With the flat cap, there may be good players willing to sign for one or two years at reduced rates. Any free agent looking to maximize his next contract would be very intrigued at the prospect of playing with McDavid or Drai.

Trading Nurse for a forward doesn’t really move the needle unless you get some massive overpay.

134. JimmyV1965 says:

Brantford Boy: I stopped reading after that…

Every single player is tradeable. The reason you don’t trade McDavid or Drai is it’s almost impossible to get good value because the players are so good. But if Sakic loses his mind and is willing to trade McKinnon and Makar for McDavid, you have to do it.

135. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Has played center in the past but really a winger these days.

Granlund might be one of those free agents who falls through the cracks. With the flat cap, I find it unlikely there will be a gaggle of teams lining up to sign him long term.

136. jp says:

leadfarmer: Well game 1 of conference finals had 1 out of 4 “starting goalies” playing Greiss MAF and Khudobin

Yeah it seems like a weird playoff year for goalies, and clearly the 70 game starter is already dead.

6 goalies did it in 09-10
    3 in 10-11
    3 in 11-12
    No more until 14-15 when 3 guys did it
    Then just one goalie in the last 5 seasons. Cam Talbot in 16-17.

Hedging your bets makes a lot of sense.

137. jp says:

Lowetide: Nurse plays more with McDavid and scoring more points than other blue five on five and I’m not certain there’s any conclusions to make in terms of his playing with 97 helping results.

Nurse with McDavid 2-16-18 in 600:31 (1.80 five on five points per 60)
    Nurse without McDavid 2-6-8 in 770:42 (0.62 five on five points per 60)

Klefbom with McDavid 1-6-7 in 291:12 (1.44 five on five points per 60)
    Klebom without McDavid 2-6-8 in 819:04 (0.59 five on five points per 60)

A larger sample shows a bigger gap between Nurse and Klefbom though. Over the last 3 seasons:

Nurse with McDavid 1706 min 1.65P/60
    Nurse without McDavid 2771 min 0.65P/60

Klefbom with McDavid 1151 min 1.20P/60
    Klefbom without McDavid 2210 min 0.41P/60

138. Munny says:

jp,

Well done. That’s pretty convincing.

139. Bobcaygeon says:

Lowetide: The Oilers are as they have been for a decade. A team of brilliant young talent surrounded by very little. Until that changes, comparing Edmonton to any other team is not easy.

Well that’s it isn’t it? It’s whats kept me coming here since 2009. To talk about all this young talent.
    Watching it come and go…..
    The team should be a young talented team bursting at the seams with an overabundance of talent at all spots……
    I’m waiting for the Oilers to stop giving that talent away for pennies on the dollar.

140. PerryK says:

LT said:

I’m not enamoured with Barrie or Vatanen and I don’t think DeMelo can be pried loose. I really like Tanev, but he may be too expensive. A guy that has been impressing me through the playoffs is Zach Bogosian. Expiring contract 1.3 mill. He’s 30, 6’3”, 226 lbs.. He is RHD! He looks like he’s learned how to play shutdown defence very well. He seems a lot more aware of his surroundings from when he was in Buffalo.