The Edmonton Oilers said goodbye this month to a bunch of players who had graduated to the NHL after spending time with the Bakersfield Condors. Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones got the most attention, but Jujhar Khaira is now with the Chicago Blackhawks and Joe Gambardella signed with the New Jersey Devils organization.
It’s the hockey version of the circle of life, and that means there are new players who will arrive in Bakersfield and in Edmonton this fall. Let’s have a look at both teams, and the 50-man list.
I’m proud to be writing for The Athletic, and pleased to be part of a great team with Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis. Here’s the latest!
- New DNB: What I’m hearing about the Oilers offseason, 4.0
- New Jonathan Willis: Oilers 2021-22 depth chart
- Lowetide: Warren Foegele acquisition possible key to improving the Oilers third line
- DNB: Ethan Bear on being traded, his time with the Oilers
- DNB: Ethan Bear out, Cody Ceci in, Tyson Barrie stays
- DNB: ‘Ultimate competitor’ Zach Hyman signs with Oilers
- Lowetide: Oilers targets for early and late in NHL free agency
- Lowetide: Oilers top 20 prospects, summer 2021
- DNB: Oilers draft day notebook
- DNB: Oilers come under the microscope after passing on Jesper Wallstedt
- Jonathan Willis: Zach Hyman, by the numbers
- Lowetide: 5 players outside the NHL who could help the Oilers
- Jonathan Willis: Yes or no? Have your say on 10 hypothetical Oilers trades
- Lowetide: Why Oilers defenceman Evan Bouchard is poised to exceed expectations
- Lowetide: The 7 Oilers roster spots GM Ken Holland must improve this offseason
POSSIBLE OILERS ROSTER (24)
This is 23 men, Oscar Klefbom on LTIR (so, 24) and there’s $828,000 in unspent do-re-mi. Kassian waivers to get things going as the season begins (Klefbom to LTIR). I do think we’ll see a LH defenseman added before the season, and a goalie at the deadline. Tomas Tatar is just out there with no contract, just saying. The forward group is looking damned dangerous, one more veteran hammer and we have liftoff.
BAKERSFIELD CONDORS (17)
The Condors will have 17 (give or take) Oilers contracts in Bakersfield, that makes our current 50-man total (41) insanely manageable between now and training camp. I honestly don’t recall an Oilers team being at 41 once through free agency.
THE 50-MAN, EARLY JULY 2016
There are many players on this list who are productive and on other NHL rosters, it’s kind of incredible how many players have exited since this list was put together five years ago. Remaining players: Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Darnell Nurae, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Oscar Klefbom (injured), Zack Kassian. That’s six of 46, really five, and a lot of turnover.
CONDORS WHO HAVE PLAYED IN THE NHL
- Jujhar Khaira 258
- Jordan Oesterle 252
- Jesse Puljujarvi 194
- Brad Hunt 191
- Ethan Bear 132
- Iiro Pakarinen 134
- Kailer Yamamoto 105
- Anton Slepyshev 102
- Caleb Jones 93
- Laurent Brossoit 82
- Patrick Russell 59
- William Lagesson 27
- Josh Currie 22
- Evan Bouchard 21
- Joe Gambardella 15
- Ryan McLeod 10
- Tyler Benson 7
- Cooper Marody 6
- Dillon Simpson 3
I didn’t include names like Tyler Pitlick and Anton Lander, who played much of their minor-league games with the Oklahoma City Barons, because they were established by 2015 summer. There’s good work here, by the scouting staff and by the men who worked hard to find their way to the NHL.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
We kickstart the long weekend at 10, TSN1260. Steve Lansky from Inside the Truck podcast will pop in to tell us about how he spent his summer vacation and I’ll ask him if the Oilers are better after all the summer’s activity nears an end? plus NHL and MLB guests to guide us through massive weeks in those leagues. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!