One day, in the distance, the franchise known currently as the Edmonton Oilers will win the Stanley Cup. I don’t know that it happens in the next four years, and that of course is the timeline all fans of the Oildrop are most interested in.
It’s Connor McDavid’s team, but the Leon Draisaitl time line is the one to watch. The big German center is a free agent in the summer of 2025.
Every day, including this one, is burning daylight. The Edmonton Oilers are building the strongest contender possible using a traditional management and coaching model. How high can they fly?
- New Lowetide: What will three outscoring lines do for the Oilers and Connor McDavid?
- New DNB: Oilers training camp questions
- New Jonathan Willis: Darnell Nurse, in context
- DNB: The Oilers’ plan for prospect Philip Broberg
- Lowetide: Examining Ken Holland’s Oilers plan and how it could impact the future
- Lowetide: Filip Berglund, sleeper option for Edmonton’s defense
- DNB: Cooper Marody Q&A
- Lowetide: Oilers preseason stories of the past, from Tony Hand to Leon Draisaitl
- Lowetide: The Oilers and the Cooper Marody experiment are at a crossroads
- DNB: Oilers voice their frustration over top prospect Dylan Holloway’s injury setback
- Lowetide: A set roster? Oilers training camp gone wild? Expect the unexpected
- Lowetide: Xavier Bourgault and his ETA with the Edmonton Oilers
- DNB: Warren Foegele Q&A
- Lowetide: Dylan Holloway’s season and why patience is vital for Oilers’ prospect
- Lowetide: Oilers reasonable expectations for 2021-22: Goal differential
- Lowetide: Oilers’ reasonable expectations for 2021-22: Goal scoring
- New DNB: Mailbag.
- Lowetide: What should the Oilers expect from Cody Ceci in his first season?
- Lowetide: Projecting the 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers opening night lineup
- Lowetide: What should Oilers expect from Duncan Keith in his first season?
- Jonathan Willis: Tyler Benson, Devin Shore and the 4-year difference between a prospect and a has-been
- Lowetide: What should Oilers fans expect from Zach Hyman in his first season?
- Lowetide: How much playing time will Evan Bouchard get with the Oilers this coming season?
- Jonathan Willis: A resurgent Zack Kassian could be an important part of the Oilers’ scoring
- Lowetide: How many goals will Jesse Puljujarvi score for the Oilers next season?
- Elliotte Friedman gifted hockey fans with a 32 Thoughts that dropped last night, wrote an item on Mike Smith and the goaltending. As I’ve mentioned many times here and at The Athletic, Ken Holland is too smart to enter a third playoff spring with the Smith-Koskinen tandem.
- I think the goalie situation gets solved at the deadline. Mikko Koskinen plus a first-round pick kind of deal.
- Duncan Keith is reportedly going to miss the first week of camp (via Ken Campbell) because his Covid-19 shot window won’t yet be closed. Lots of vitriol about it online and I get it, but I think this may have come together late with some prime pressure from NHL and NHLPA. Kind of an “this industry can’t afford another setback” moment, and that iron position came late for the players. Just my opinion.
- The delayed arrival on the ice by Keith gives Edmonton some time to evaluate possible replacements for the veteran on the second pair. It’s a fairly short list, veteran Kris Russell would be a candidate and after that Slater Koekkoek is the final option with more than 150 NHL games. I don’t think William Lagesson would be an option, although he could make the team if there’s an injury or an ineligible player.
- Evan Bouchard has to earn the trust of Dave Tippett and that could take some time. One area Bouchard could thrive is four on four, or in overtime. Darnell Nurse and Tyson Barrie will get first run, but Bouchard’s passing is so exceptional one hopes the coaching staff will bring the giant weapon out of the hangar during preseason.
- Ken Holland had a long and interesting interview here and talked about a range of issues. He talked about Zach Hyman and his ability to get net front and forecheck. I think that style is what Tippett and Holland are looking for, Jesse Puljujarvi is that kind of player as well.
- He mentioned that he traded for Chris Chelios from Chicago when he was about the same age as Duncan Keith is today, and he’s hoping he can come in and play well for the Oilers.
- Holland had good things to say about Tyler Benson, saying he’s proven to be a top AHL player. He mentioned waivers, coming into training camp and getting every opportunity. He said, and this important, he has to “play his way off the team” and that’s a very good indication. Holland said Benson spent all summer in the gym.
- In regard to Mike Smith and Mikko Koskinen, he mentioned Smith looked great a year ago and that he is a big part of the team. Holland said the goaltending tandem has been good since he arrived.
- I won’t post the 50-man list, or the ‘Certain’ lists today, there is some uncertainty across several roster spots so I don’t think we’d accomplish much running it this morning. Instead, here are the lists from 2015:
This is a quality group of forwards at the top, some concern about the bottom lines but Mark Letestu will help. I look at that defensive group and think about how much has changed. You know, Oscar Klefbom’s loss is still being felt, what a miserable turn.
I remember having conversations on this blog at the time, several posters believing Draisaitl and Nurse were locks. I didn’t see the window being open so early, and in fact both were sent down to Bakersfield. Where they stayed for about nine heartbeats. Turned out, we were both right.
THE DISTANT BELLS
As it turns out, the distant bells included future NHL players Jujhar Khaira, Caleb Jones, Jordan Oesterle, Ethan Bear and Laurent Brossoit. Those distant bells carry sometimes.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
At 10 this morning we’ll hit the air on TSN1260. Ken Holland will address the media at 9, we’ll begin our show at 10 going over the highlights of his avail. Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey at the Edmonton Journal chimes in at 10:20 and we’ll go over the training camp roster. At 11, Joe Osborne from OddsShark will get us ready for the final stretch in MLB and we’ll talk NFL Week 3 and who he likes. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!