During the “Coke Machine” era, the Oilers would routinely draft kids 40+ slots before one might have expected them to go. Geoff Paukovich was NA#80 (which would put him well into the 100s overall) in 2004 and they picked him 57th overall, dealing NHLer Jason Chimera for the right to do it. JF Jacques was ranked #88NA in 2003 and they picked him 68th overall.
The ultimate was Cameron Abney, chosen No. 82 in the 2009 draft without actually being listed among the 210 names on the NA list that year. Don’t get too angry, Troy Hesketh, chosen No. 71 same year, didn’t make the list either.
The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, check it out here.
- New Lowetide: Top 20 prospect update: A lot of movement and some impressive graduations
- Lowetide: Mavrik Bourque a quality option for the Oilers in the draft
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Inside the franchise-altering decision to pick Leon Draisaitl over Sam Bennett
- Lowetide: Adam Larsson’s Oilers future uncertain as ‘sexy’ options emerge
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: One-on-one with Wayne Gretzky: On the time he visited Moscow during the Cold War
- Jonathan Willis and Lowetide: Discount forward options the Oilers could pursue in free agency
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘Oh my God, Edmonton’s picking first’: An oral history of the 2015 NHL draft lottery
- Lowetide: Comparison of Oilers, Flames drafts 2010-19 closer than it should be
- Lowetide: The most potent lines in Oilers history
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: On the time Dave Semenko fought Muhammad Ali
- Lowetide: Why Jan Mysak could be a value pick for the Oilers at the 2020 Draft
- Jonathan Willis: The Oilers overcame malice in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver to join the NHL
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Remembering Jacques Plante’s brief tenure with the Oilers at age 45
- Lowetide: Oilers need to find (or get) real value in William Lagesson
- Jonathan Willis: What does the Oilers best possible playoff lineup look like?
- Lowetide: Why Jack Quinn is a perfect 2020 draft fit for the Oilers
- Lowetide: Oilers’ five-on-five with and without Connor McDavid is improving
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: If play does not resume, 5 notable questions that will go unanswered in Edmonton
For those who don’t have a subscription, we’re offering a 90-day free trial. If you click on the story link that takes you to the free trial.
Condors signings in black caps. What does this organization need? Another NHL goalie, an offload of at least one NHL vet defenseman, help at center that may be Riley Sheahan and Gaetan Haas, signing the rfa’s. I think ‘scoring winger’ might be Athanasiou, maybe the Oilers will have enough room to add Tyler Ennis or similar.
His NHLE is 23.6, Joel Persson’s was 30.3. Swedish Poster commented in yesterday’s comments section:
“Lennström is very much a signing to solidify the AHL group Imo, took a big step in his development this season but I think the chance he moves the needle much in the NHL is slim. Probably a good top 4 AHL D though, Holland spoke a few weeks ago about how it’s difficult finding D, with how many AHL guys who have graduated or are about to they need some quality down in the A to make sure Samorukov isn’t thrown to the wolves. And it seems like every somewhat decent SHL D coming over is at least a good top 4 guy in the AHL of late so Lennström should do well enough down there.
He’s got some skill but nothing spectacular, good skater, took big steps defensively this year as he got stronger and more assertive, hard worker. The epitome of solid but unspectacular I’d say. So should be a good AHLer and is probably ok as someone you throw on your third pair for a few games in case the injuries pile up, unlikely to be more than that but here’s to hoping. His stand out skill is his skating I’d say and since that’s a premium in the NHL today there’s a small chance he surprises but I’m not holding my breath. Still a smart move from Holland securing what should be a good AHLer. If he lands him. The rumour a few weeks ago was that he was close to signing with Dallas.”