The Oilers organization at this time has a crazy talent distribution. The best player in the game, another likely inside the top-10 overall, then names like Darnell Nurse and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins with enough value to be “name” players. After that, several miles of role players and then a small group of talented youngsters (Evan Bouchard, Dylan Holloway, Philip Broberg, Dmitri Samorukov, Raphael Lavoie, Carter Savoie) finding their way.
We used to talk on this blog about drafting high being the only way to get impact players. Now, we look longingly at the Moreau-Marchant-Grier line and wonder where they come from. The Edmonton Oilers have 32 names on the 50-man locked in, and are going to add a bunch of names in the next few weeks. What will it look like?
I’m proud to be writing for The Athletic, and pleased to be part of a great team with Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis. Here’s the latest!
- New Lowetide: What did the Oilers sacrifice in sending Caleb Jones to Chicago in the Duncan Keith trade?
- New Jonathan Willis: Duncan Keith, by the numbers
- New DNB: How Ken Holland’s overpay for Duncan Keith limits the Oilers’ offseason options
- Lowetide: 10 free agents for the Oilers to target this offseason
- Jonathan Willis: Yes or no? Have your say on 10 hypothetical Oilers trades
- Lowetide: Is this the year the Oilers find a world-class agitator in the draft?
- Lowetide: Which draft prospects will be available when the Oilers pick at No. 19?
- Lowetide: Oilers 2021-22 roster projection, including trade and free agent targets
- DNB: How do Oilers fans feel about their team’s 2020-21 season?
- Lowetide: What is a reasonable trade price for Oilers to pay for Duncan Keith?
- Lowetide: Will the Oilers draft from the OHL after a season that never happened?
- DNB: Oilers are interested in trading for Blackhawks defenceman Duncan Keith — at a price
- Lowetide: Finding the ideal No. 3 centre for the Edmonton Oilers
- New DNB: What I’m hearing about the Oilers offseason
- Lowetide: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins’ future value to the Oilers will be defined by his adaptability
- DNB: Oilers’ Connor McDavid wants ‘more consistency’ with NHL playoff officiating
- DNB: How re-signing Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for eight years could help and hurt the Oilers
- DNB: Five offseason scenarios that could upend the Oilers’ best-laid plans
- Lowetide: Will the Oilers return to the WHL prospect pool in the 2021 draft?
- Lowetide: Why Oilers defenceman Evan Bouchard is poised to exceed expectations
- Lowetide: Oilers’ prospect pipeline could be at stake as AHL coach Jay Woodcroft outgrows his minor-league role
- Jonathan Willis: How the Oilers could make a Jack Eichel-level trade happen this offseason
- Lowetide: The 7 Oilers roster spots GM Ken Holland must improve this offseason
- Lowetide: Caleb Jones, Oilers reach crossroads that could land Jones in Seattle
- Lowetide: What will Oilers do if they must replace Oscar Klefbom?
- Jonathan Willis: What comes next for the Oilers’ Jesse Puljujarvi?
- Lowetide: Why Evan Bouchard, Ryan McLeod and more prospects are options for Oilers in 2021-22
- DNB: Ten teams the Oilers should be targeting for trades ahead of the Kraken expansion draft
- Lowetide: How Ken Holland’s transaction history could foreshadow the Oilers summer to come
- Jonathan Willis: Why some of the most popular moves Ken Holland could make would be mistakes
- Lowetide: Why huge Oil Kings goalie Sebastian Cossa could be the perfect first-round fit for the Oilers
CURRENT 50-MAN (33)
- Goalies (4): Mikko Koskinen, Alex Stalock, Ilya Konovalov, Olivier Rodrigue
- Left Defense (8): Darnell Nurse, Duncan Keith, Kris Russell, William Lagesson, Philip Broberg, Dmitri Samorukov, Markus Niemelainen, Oscar Klefbom (inj)
- Right Defense (5): Ethan Bear, Evan Bouchard, Filip Berglund, Phil Kemp, Mike Kesselring
- Center (5): Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Ryan McLeod, Tim Soderlund, Seth Griffith
- Left Wing (6): Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, James Neal, Devin Shore, Dylan Holloway, Raphael Lavoie, Ostap Safin
- Right Wing (5): Jesse Puljujarvi, Zack Kassian, Kyle Turris, Josh Archibald, Kirill Maksimov
I included Klefbom because Puck Pedia told me he counts (Hart is a good man) and that does impact things a little. Now, here are the RFA’s, with the players who I believe will be signed in red:
- Goalies: Stuart Skinner, Dylan Wells
- Left Defense: Theodor Lennstrom
- Right Defense:
- Center: Jujhar Khaira
- Left Wing: Dominik Kahun, Tyler Benson
- Right Wing: Kailer Yamamoto, Cooper Marody
Let’s say Dominik Kahun gets chosen by the Seattle Kraken, and Skinner, Khaira, Benson and Yamamoto are the only players added. That gets us to 37, and if Holland signs UFA’s Mike Smith and Slater Koekkoek that makes 39.
Holland has room to sign 7-9 new additions over the summer, even if no one is traded off the roster. It’s going to be a damn busy eight weeks.
NHL ROSTER 50-MAN (WITH SELECT RFA AND UFA)
Edmonton didn’t buy anyone out, but can do so after the draft and I expect it will happen (Neal). Holland can afford to sign two LW’s and move Nuge to center, or he can sign a LW and C (there aren’t many great pivots). Adam Larsson sounds less likely than a few days ago, we’ll see. I think Tyson Barrie might slide into the picture.
If you’re praying, the names are Linus Ullmark, Adam Larsson, Ryan Getzlaf, Taylor Hall and Tomas Tatar.
AHL ROSTER 50-MAN
One of the things I’ll be watching for is several NHL signings that will land in the AHL. Remember the year Peter Chiarelli signed Ty Rattie and a bunch of AHL vets in their mid-20’s? I think we’ll see several forwards added, although the Condors have signed several (including Brad Malone).
Here’s a list of players I believe are headed out: Mikko Koskinen, Alex Stalock, James Neal, Kyle Turris (possibly AHL).
A realistic procurement list is Zach Hyman, Jordan Martinook, Alex Chiasson, Adam Larsson, Mike Smith and Linus Ullmark.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
At 10 this morning, we hit the airwaves with fun and great content (we hope). TSN1260, and our first guest is Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey at the Edmonton Journal. Ken Holland has set a course and the summer procurement is underway. Is Bruce more or less confident in Holland’s work today than he was a week ago? At 11, Joe Osborne from OddsShark will talk MLB and NBA. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!