Tumbling Dice

The Ted Lindsay Award is a valuable item, partly because NHLPA members vote the winner. Nothing like your industry saying you’re the best. Wayne Gretzky won it five times when it was called the Lester Pearson Award, named after a substantial Canadian who did fine works with the UN, became Canada’s prime minister for a time, and handed out cabinet posts to men who would run our nation for decades after his passing. I don’t know much about Pearson, beyond my Dad telling me that he picked the right flag for Canada.

I know the award is important, and that an Oilers player has won it eight times. Five for 99, one for Mark Messier, and two in a row for the fastest man in history. He’s up for the Lindsay and the Hart tonight (McDavid won the MVP in 2017) and it should be a fun evening. The captain spoke about his injury and other things here.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group, here’s an incredible Offer!

• New Lowetide: Are these Jesse Puljujarvi’s final days with the Edmonton Oilers?
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Analyzing the early Edmonton Oilers’ 2019-20 depth chart.
  • New Jonathan Willis: 2018-19 NHL Awards: Finalists, projected winners and snubs
  • New Lowetide: The Oilers’ conundrum in taking Philip Broberg with the No. 8 overall pick
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Ranking the Oilers’ trade assets from the high-priced diamonds to those needing fresh starts
  • LowetideKen Holland’s work week: Fixing the third and fourth lines while saving money and overhauling the penalty kill
  • Jonathan Willis: How are the Oilers affected by early offseason trades and buyouts to Dion Phaneuf, Andrew MacDonald?
  • Lowetide: Falling talent and other fun facts that could benefit the Oilers in the NHL Draft
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Evaluating the pros and cons of potential Oilers buyout candidates
  • Lowetide: Oilers GM Ken Holland is shopping for 20-goal scorers on a budget. What will he find?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Jay Woodcroft returning to coach AHL Condors and be reunited with Ken Holland
  • Lowetide: Looking at the Oilers’ options for the No. 8 pick at the 2019 NHL Draft.
  • Jonathan Willis: How many of Sam Gagner, Zack Kassian and Jujhar Khaira can play top-nine minutes for the Oilers?
  • Daniel Nugent-BowmanQ&A with Ken Holland: On the draft, buyouts, free agency and how to have a successful offseason
  • Lowetide: Trading for Loui Eriksson: What makes sense for the Oilers?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The top five players the Oilers could lose in the expansion draft
  • Jonathan Willis: What a trade involving Edmonton’s No. 8 pick might look like given Ken Holland’s history
  • LowetideHard Target Search: Finding the Oilers a centre who can penalty kill, help shape a useful third line, and serve in a mentor role

SWEDISH POSTER TALKS PHILIP BROBERG

Due to an enormous number of angry tweets and several posts on this blog forecasting the end times, I’m going to print Swedish Poster’s words and music from earlier this spring. Notice the balanced view the author gives you, and especially the line about his being a safe pick. I’m not a scout, I have Broberg No. 16 on my final list, saying “he’s big and can skate like the wind, while also displaying puck moving ability. Offense may be shy, but Swedish blue can fool you.” As a comparable, I ranked Oscar Klefbom No. 24, saying ” Big, two-way defender. Raw skill set, ISS compares him to Ryan Whitney.” If Broberg is the pick, we’ll drill down and find out about him in July. I think offense is the only real question, and he needs to bring at least some boxcars to make the pick worthwhile. Here’s SP.

The biggest ticket this year is Philip Broberg, 6’3 LHD who can absolutely fly. Skating is the first thing that pops out when you see him, not just amazing top speed but his acceleration is great both from standstill but also how he goes from 4th to 5th gear, he walks the line well and has great mobility in all directions. Against his peers coast to coast adventures are as common as a Gene pun. More interesting is to see him against grown ups in the second swedish tier, Allsvenskan, as he can’t just skate past guys at will at that level.

There you notice that he actually has a pretty good grasp where he should be defensively, breaks up plays, good gaps and moves the puck north not only by skating it up but he actually has a good first pass. As with most swedish D, in particular guys like Broberg who enters the mens ranks at an early age he’s not very physical but he’s pretty good at getting the puck from players either by shielding them off the puck or pokechecks. His shot is ok but not great, wellplaced wrister but needs more oomph to beat NHL goalies, with how explosive his skating is I think the chance he improves in that area is fairly good.

He’s got good puckhandling, not a dangler but controls the puck well at top speed, can make moves around players at high speed with the puck. He’s from the Lidström school of D where you don’t overhandle the puck once it’s under control on your stick and instead wait until you have to move past guys and make dekes to start messing about with the puck. His passing is fine, he moves the puck well technichally both forehand and backhand, as I mentioned he’s got a solid first pass.

Now the big talking point on Broberg and the thing that has people questioning him as an NHLer and thinking he’s one of the most likely players to bust amongst the top picks is his hockey IQ. I personally don’t think it’s a big issue, not elite in any way but not bad either, he knows his way around the ice, reads and reacts well.

Where I do think it stems from is that he doesn’t see the ice all that well offensively. Quite often you see him having those Darnell Nurse moments where he skates the puck into to the offensive zone and then doesn’t know what to do with it so he just keeps skating deeper into the zone, against his peers his skating is so outstanding that he usually can just take it to the net and create a scoring chance, but against tougher competition he often either ends up in the corner or just throws a wrister on net. Defensively and in other areas of the game his awareness is quite good though so I don’t think it’s about a severe lack of hockey smarts.

To my eye it looks like a lack of natural offensive instincts more than anything and that’s what might keep him from being a proper #1 D. There is one small caveat with regards to him lacking offensive instincts though. He’s a guy who’s development kind of exploded the last season and a half, he was a good player in his age group before, made the national teams and so on but something drastic happened with his trajectory once he moved from Örebro to AIK to make him the top name of the group. So what does this have to do with offensive instincts? Familiarity. Going from being a good player to a guy who can suddenly blow up the ice at will to create opportunities is a different situation and one he might need to adapt to in order to find his offensive groove. But with that burst of development you suddenly find yourself playing against full grown pros for the first time in your life and with that comes a whole new set of things to adapt to and providing offense is usually not at the top of the list for a 17 year old in a pro league.

If there’s any truth to this theory there might be untapped potential offensively and then you have a guy with pretty much the whole toolkit to be a #1D. That’s an if though. However as we’ve seen with Darnell this past season you can still be productive with limited offensive vision and instincts if your skating and puckhandling is good enough to move the puck up ice effectively. With that in mind I’d argue the risk he’s a bust is actually miniscule and instead he’s one of the safest picks in the draft. With his insane skating and ability to play defense I just don’t see how he won’t make it as a solid NHL D and even without an offensive uptick I think his upside is a #2 D.

LOTS OF WORK TO DO

HOLLAND’S 2010-11 TEAM

This is a fairly typical Red Wings team in the cap era when Detroit was contending. Mike Babcock was the coach, there were two men age 40, six more 35+ and another five 30+. Hudler was just back from a year with Moscow Dynamo and had a helluva time working his way back into the lineup.

HOLLAND’S 2018-19 TEAM (SO FAR)

HOLLAND’S HOME FOR THE AGED

G Mike Smith. This is a possibility. Smith’s regular season even strength SP (.907) was poor but his playoff SP in the same discipline was .938 in five games. He is 37.

G Curtis McElhinney. Although he’s 36 and has posted a journeyman’s career, sometimes goalies go on runs of several years later on. He was rock solid in goal in 2018-19.

G Petr Mrazek. He’s 27, young for the group, but Holland knows him and in 40 games a year ago, Mrazek posted a .914SP.

G Brian Elliott. My personal choice, he posted a .907SP a year ago and is durable and capable of carrying a team on significant winning streaks. He is 34.

FORWARD WISH LIST

1 RW Brett Connolly. Ryan Rishaug mentioned him on the Dustin Nielson Show this morning (TSN1260), that’s a good sign. He can win battles, has skill and can play up and down the lineup.

2 LW Nik Ehlers. He would be No. 1 but I worry about the package required. Would the Jets do a pick and a player? Nurse? Larsson? What about a ‘kids pack’?

3 RW James Neal. As much risk as might be involved, Neal has the kind of skill Edmonton needs. Holland won’t be worried about age, but Lucic has to be part of the package. I wonder about a three-way mind blowing deal between Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. Can Holland pull that off?

4 LW Tyler Ennis. He shouldn’t cost a lot, brings speed and skill. There’s no downside to this acquisition.

5 LC Nazem Kadri. Dare to dream.

338 Responses to "Tumbling Dice"

Newer Comments »
  1. Woogie63 says:

Why isn’t there a major trophy named after Wayne Gretzky? Move over Art make room for Wayne?

Bohologo:
    Based on some of this week’s blog entry titles, I think we can all agree that LT’s favourite record is Exile on Main Street.Reasonable?

Honestly, I’m a Sticky Fingers currently but yes, Exile is usually No. 1 🙂

3. OriginalPouzar says:

I think McDavid probably wins the Lindsay but a definite argument can be made for Kucherov – I know he had help with both his linemates, his defence, his team’s transition game, etc. but he scored ALOT of points. McDavid is the best player in the league but he lost the goal share alot this year – playing a ridiculous amount of minutes with a team tied to your back makes it pretty hard mind you.

4. Woogie63 says:

I watched a lot of Mike Smith last year. His save % is only a part of the story; the way he handles the puck he makes average defensemen better and puts forwards on the attack in a hurry.

Calgary played with a rookie defence pairing and Smith helped those minutes a lot. If we end up with a Jones-Benning pairing Smith will make them better.

5. Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR says:

That 3-way trade would be blasphemous for those organizations!! I’d rather see Lucic go to Vancouver than Calgary though.

I have a feeling this is the year of offer sheets. Not so much to try to actually acquire the players, but more to screw over rivals. If someone sets the price on Marner at 11.5, Toronto will match and be screwed! I read somewhere about Chi offer sheeting Timo Meier just to get back at SJ over the Hjalmersson/Niemmi affair.

With there being so much parity in the league, this is gonna be a legitimate weapon for teams to use. Or I could be way off!

6. dustrock says:

I’ve come around on Broberg, it’s a real shame we couldn’t sneak into 6th or 7th because I agree with Pronman, Blue Bullet Brad and others that there’s a drop after 7.

Only players who give me pause are Kaliyev and Caufield. A large part of me thinks if your top 7 targets are gone, why wouldn’t you go with the 2 best scorers in the draft?

7. Reja says:

Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR:
    That 3-way trade would be blasphemous for those organizations!!I’d rather see Lucic go to Vancouver than Calgary though.

I have a feeling this is the year of offer sheets.Not so much to try to actually acquire the players, but more to screw over rivals.If someone sets the price on Marner at 11.5, Toronto will match and be screwed!I read somewhere about Chi offer sheeting Timo Meier just to get back at SJ over the Hjalmersson/Niemmi affair.

With there being so much parity in the league, this is gonna be a legitimate weapon for teams to use.Or I could be way off!

I still think it’s Taboo but if one GM uses it as a weapon and a second GM follows suit look out the flood gates could open where the league is turned upside-down. I did enjoy the Burke-Lowe bickering and smack talk a few years back. I also would love to see Cocky boy in TO and smarty pants in Calgary get players offer sheeted.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Mrazek and Curtis M. are both solid options – Curtis M would be cheaper – Mrazek likely requires term and close to $4M I would think.

I like those guys as well as James Reimer – at a lower cap hit (either by way of signing after a buyout or a retained cap trade).

9. OriginalPouzar says:

I think I read somewhere yesterday that Gagner produced over 2P/60 away from McDavid last year – I know that sample must be small but maybe something to think about.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Benning plus Puljujarvi for Kadri?

11. Jaxon says:

How much could/would Ottawa retain for 3 second round draft picks in a 4 way trade. Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver all trade their dead weight (Lucic, Neal, and Ericsson) to Ottawa who retains 50% and sends Lucic to Van, Neal to Edm, and Erickson to Cgy for a decent prospect from a position of depth from each team. Ottawa adds $9M in cap and gets 3 second round picks and 3 prospects. That’s a fast rebuild for them. Is that too much to give up for Edmonton? What prospect would you give up? Lagesson level? Is there a rule that would prevent that?

Basically, you’re sending away a second round pick and a depth prospect for $3M in cap space and a similar player.

12. jp says:

Thanks for re-posting the Swedish Poster’s Broberg scouting report. I know the team needs skill forwards, but based on SP Broberg is likely also a worthy pick. Another Nurse at number 8 isn’t actually a bad result.

13. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar:

Reimer on the cheap after buy-out or cap dump in trade.

14. admiralmark says:

No matter how you cut it 90% of the scouts and scouting agencies say Broberg would be a big reach at #8. So safe pick it is not. Between this potential move and say a Zaitsev pickup all that Holland hope can go out the window in a hurry this weekend. I’ll see what happens but i’m not enjoying much of the verbal i’m hearing leading up to Draft weekend.. not one bit.

15. jp says:

Seems like this isn’t a popular view. But the Flyers, they actually look really good from where I sit.

Something like:
    vanRiemsdyk-Giroux-Voracek
    Hayes-Couturier-Konecny
    Lindblom-Patrick-Hartman
    Frost-Laughton-Bailey

Provorov-Niskanen
    Gostisbehere-Braun
    Hagg-Sanheim

Hart-(Talbot?)

Niskanen is the oldest player. He doesn’t turn 33 until December. Lots of room for growth from the young guys.

They’ve got a few year window where they could be a really top team. Or it could all go to shit, but I like that team personally.

16. Pouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey: Maki Maki
    8109 101 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 3Y9

My buddy said they went here. It was only 5 min walk from hotel.
    He is a foodie and he loved it (so did his new bride).

Cheers!

17. Jaxon says:

Is there a limit to how many money retained contracts you can have at any given time? Ottawa has zero at the moment.

18. Pouzar says:

admiralmark: Broberg would be a big reach at #8.

When the inevitable happens, I will be well inebriated.

19. texmex says:

Ryan Rishaug

Verified account

@TSNRyanRishaug
    54s54 seconds ago
    Couple of Oiler quick hitters as we touch down in Van –
    -Broberg a very good possibility at 8
    -If Puljujarvi deal can land a 3line F, they do it, if not they may stand pat
    -Benning likely in play – create space for young D
    -Connolly should be a prime UFA target for them.

20. Pescador says:

Pouzar: When the inevitable happens, I will be well inebriated.

This rings true for sooo much of just life in general

21. Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR says:

Reja: I still think it’s Taboo but if one GM uses it as a weapon and a second GM follows suit look outthe flood gates could openwhere the league is turned upside-down. I did enjoy the Burke-Lowe bickering and smack talk a few years back. I also would love to see Cocky boy in TO and smarty pants in Calgary get players offer sheeted.

I could see Long Island Lou doing this in a heartbeat. Don’t forget they fired him and then signed JT last summer. Isles fans would go nuts over this!

22. Pescador says:

OriginalPouzar:

The best play for Gagner is to send him to Ott for a pick & find a guy who can do this job for $1M and utilize the additional cap space

23. Pouzar says:

texmex:
    Ryan Rishaug

Verified account

@TSNRyanRishaug54s54 seconds ago
    Couple of Oiler quick hitters as we touch down in Van –
    -Broberg a very good possibility at 8
    -If Puljujarvi deal can land a 3line F, they do it, if not they may stand pat
    -Benning likely in play – create space for young D
    -Connolly should be a prime UFA target for them.

Besides the last point…sigh.

24. Coiler says:

I think Ryan Rishaug must be a regular troller of this and other websites to have come up with those doozy ‘insights’. Amazing journalism.

dustrock:

Only players who give me pause are Kaliyev and Caufield.A large part of me thinks if your top 7 targets are gone, why wouldn’t you go with the 2 best scorers in the draft?

McDavid and Draisaitl are the goal scorers you are looking for.

Cozens or Krebs.

26. v4ance says:

Woogie63:
    I watched a lot of Mike Smith last year.His save % is only a part of the story; the way he handles the puck he makes average defensemen better and puts forwards on the attack in a hurry.

Calgary played with a rookie defence pairing and Smith helped those minutes a lot.If we end up with a Jones-Benning pairing Smith will make them better.

Living in Calgary amongst all the Flames fans, a lot of them would be happy, nay ecstatic, if the Oilers picked up Mike Smith. Do not take that as a positive endorsement.

His puckhandling is nice but his ability to do his main job… re: stopping pucks …varies wildly from week to week.

27. Jaxon says:

Mike Smith (37), Cam Ward (35), Ryan Miller (38), and Curtis McElhinney (36) come with the added risk of not being able to be bought out so their contacts would have to be 1 year or two maximum. Even if they retire the contract stays on the books. Elliott, at 34, is able to be bought out if needed, so a team is possibly able to give him more years at a reduced rate for his security.

28. Woogie63 says:

Is Broberg a reasonable pick to contribute 4 years from now? Will the conveyor belt need a LHD?

Known left handed defenceman … 4 years from now

Klefbom – 29 years old – 556 NHL games
    Nurse 28 years old – 559 NHL games
    Sekera 37 years old – 947 NHL games
    Russell 36 years old – 1071 NHL games
    Jones – 26 years old – 275 NHL games
    Samorukov – 24 years old – 150 NHL games
    Legesson 27 years old – 150 NHL games

Broberg 22 years old – 15 NHL games

29. dustrock says:

godot10: McDavid and Draisaitl are the goal scorers you are looking for.

Cozens or Krebs.

My point was if Cozens was gone. Krebs I shy away from a guy with a ruptured Achilles.

Also goal scoring is the hardest thing in hockey.

30. v4ance says:

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli

#NHLDucks are in the process of finalizing paperwork to buy out Corey Perry this morning. Perry is not expected to be placed on waivers, by virtue of his no-move clause. Big name for the #FreeAgentFrenzy list. #TSN

I feel dirty but dare we consider picking up Corey Perry as a UFA?

31. Munny says:

Jaxon:

Three contracts and 15 percent of upper cap limit maximum.

(So approx. $12.3M, depending on where the cap ends up)

32. Rondo says:

Maybe Oilers should draft Ted-Jan Bloemen at #8. Elite speed

Broberg is a consensus mid rd pick.

Jaxon:
    How much could/would Ottawa retain for 3 second round draft picks in a 4 way trade. Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver all trade their dead weight (Lucic, Neal, and Ericsson) to Ottawa who retains 50% and sends Lucic to Van, Nealto Edm, and Erickson to Cgy for a decent prospect from a position of depth from each team. Ottawa adds $9M in cap and gets 3 second round picks and 3 prospects. That’s a fast rebuild for them. Is that too much to give up for Edmonton? What prospect would you give up? Lagesson level? Is there a rule that would prevent that?

Ottawa wants dead cap that doesn’t cost them actual money. Ericksson, Lucic, and Neal don’t qualify.

David Clarkson does.

Ottawa is a cash poor team. They will take on cap that doesn’t cost them any money.

34. Pouzar says:

v4ance:
    Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli

I feel dirty but dare we consider picking up Corey Perry as a UFA?

He isn’t slow enough.

35. dustrock says:

Seravelli reporting Perry will be bought out.

Oilers will trade 8th with Lucic for Eriksson and then sign Perry and then the Rapture will arrive and it will all be meaningless.

36. Reja says:

jp:

We need forwards with skill we haven’t had this many D-men in the pipeline in forever. We lost Gustafsson last year and if we don’t start playing these prospects were gonna lose another one or two for nothing without ever knowing what we have. They could very well turn out better and definitely cheaper then what we have.

37. defmn says:

I have no idea if Broberg is a smart pick at #8 or not but I am fairly confident that if the Oilers do choose him there is somebody in the organization that Holland needs to fire for talking too much.

No way should a team’s draft pick choice be public knowledge weeks in advance.

38. Munny says:

godot10: McDavid and Draisaitl are the goal scorers you are looking for.

Cozens or Krebs.

Cozens is a goal-scorer. If you wanted to list another playmaker, you go Dach.

And no team survives with only two goal-scorers, but carry on carrying on.

39. Munny says:

Pouzar: He isn’t slow enough.

Ha!

Pescador: I think we all have time for Gagner in a 4th line winger/ 2nd PP unit/ guy who can cover temporary top 6 mins.

Ottawa is a cash poor team. They will take on cap only if no actual money is involved. Gagner does not qualify.

If Ottawa had that money, they would just overpay Duchene in free agency to make the lower bound.

41. albertaboundedmonton says:

Long time reader and occasional contributor I just signed up for the Athletic for my Father’s Day gift to me. And thanks Lowetide for talking me into it. Loving it so far.

42. LadiesloveSmid says:

I feel like there’s a top 8.

No reason to take Broberg over Dach/Cozens/Caufield/Zegras. I prefer Boldy too. If they were picking 10th I might not hate the pick.

43. texmex says:

v4ance:
    Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli

I feel dirty but dare we consider picking up Corey Perry as a UFA?

Someone will overpay Perry big time. Think Vinny LeCavailier

44. Ben says:

No problem here with the Broberg pick. As long as it’s around 15th overall.

They can add some real value by moving back. Had they gone through with it in the JP draft they’d have Backlund and Sergachev on the roster today.

Personally, I see zero reason for all of this telegraphing around the pick unless it’s tactical. Or unless the team is run by a bunch of feckless fuddie-duddies (excuse my language).

45. Gerta Rauss says:

If we sign Corey Perry and Mike Smith, I’m gonna….well… I’m not sure what I’m gonna do

But it’s not gonna be good, that’s for sure

46. Reja says:

admiralmark:

If they forgot to change the water filter out again we’re screwed.

47. LadiesloveSmid says:

Per Rishaug,

Good chance of Broberg being the pick, JP going for a 3rd line forward if it’s out there, Benning on the market to make room for Bouch/Persson/Jones (???), and taking a hard look at Connolly.

At least the Connolly take is positive. Yeesh.

I’d take a flyer on Perry, doubt he’d come to EDM.

48. Munny says:

Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty · 10m10 minutes ago

Broberg to the Oilers is the wild-card of course. We know Oiler scouts really like him but they have Bouchard and Samorukov, Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear and Joel Persson coming from Sweden on a one-way. Can never have enough D, but…Edm needs forwards.

Munny: Cozens is a goal-scorer. If you wanted to list another playmaker, you go Dach.

And no team survives with only two goal-scorers, but carry on carrying on.

Cozens is a lot of things, including a goal scorer, including familiarity with the front of the net, including backchecking. He is an all-around player with a diverse skill set.

It is hard to tell how good a goalscorer Krebs might be because he had to be the playmaker in Kootenay. But again, an all-around toolkit.

50. v4ance says:

Chris Johnston @reporterchris

Discussions continue between the NHL and NHLPA on next season’s payroll range. It sounds like the 2019-20 salary cap and salary floor may not be finalized until Saturday.

Of course, NHL teams were provided the potential cap range at the board of governors meeting in December. The board meets again today in Vegas and there’s a GMs meeting tomorrow in Vancouver, so it’s not being kept secret.

Front offices are bracing for a cap under $82M.

We’ll soon see where things end up. The rough estimate provided by Gary Bettman at the December BOG was $83M.

ruh roh…

51. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss:

But it’s not gonna be good, that’s for sure

Something will need to be broken. Preferably something one doesn’t own, of course, but if that’s all that’s handy…

52. Rondo says:

I guess the Oilers hope someone will take Broberg before them, leaving them with a player they like.

53. LadiesloveSmid says:

Think you could pull off Gostisbehere for RNH + Nurse for Ehlers?

54. Silver Streak says:

Gerta Rauss:

But it’s not gonna be good, that’s for sure

Now that was VERY funny….LOL and still am 5 mins later…..

55. unca miltie says:

I remember Petr Mrazek at the world juniors. He was outstanding. To date he has not had the career I thought he would have. I do like the idea of Oilers signing him if the rate is reasonable

56. jp says:

Reja: We need forwards with skillwe haven’thad this many D-men in the pipeline in forever. We lost Gustafsson last year and if we don’t start playing these prospects were gonna lose another one or two for nothing without ever knowing what we have. They could very well turn outbetter and definitely cheaper then what we have.

I know we need skill forwards and agree the Oilers should pick one. All of these draft picks are 1+ years down the line as contributors though. Things can change in a hurry with a few trades/departures (3 of our 6 D are UFA in 2 summers, for instance). I don’t think Broberg would be a terrible pick if the forwards they value are gone; hopefully one of those guys is still there to draft.

And we lost Gustafsson 4 years ago because we didn’t want him, not because of too many prospects. Not a good decision, but to be somewhat fair I think about zero people in the hockey world saw a 60 point NHL campaign in his future.

57. ArmchairGM says:

@Jaxon

Two players that intrigue me and I hope are around at 85 are Dillon Hamaliuk (WHL) and Dmitri Voronkov (VHL). Any intel on these guys? What’s your feeling about taking either of them at 85? Assuming they’re available, of course.

LadiesloveSmid:
    Think you could pull off Gostisbehere for RNH + Nurse for Ehlers?

Two more catastrophic trades those would be.

Ken (Holland) to Peter (Chiarelli): Hold my beer.

59. Chris says:

Mrazek is the play for goal. Stay away from Perry (not like he’d sign here anyways), and take a forward in the draft at 8. Broberg May be a safe pick, but our current D situation is pretty flush. Also, keep Gagner, always liked that kid.

60. JimmyV1965 says:

Oiler fans will spend a week pulling out their hair and gnashing their teeth about the potential Broberg pick and then we will draft Cozens.

61. Gerta Rauss says:

Munny,

I may need an insurance adjuster

Know anyone..?

62. just sayin says:

godot10: McDavid and Draisaitl are the goal scorers you are looking for.

Cozens or Krebs.

63. Munny says:

admiralmark: No matter how you cut it 90% of the scouts and scouting agencies say Broberg would be a big reach at #8. So safe pick it is not.

It is not that he is a “safe” or “unsafe” pick at 8, his skating and passing pretty much guarantees he will be an NHL player of some ilk.

The issue is whether or not a more talented or useful player is still on the board for the taking. that depends on how a GM feels about Kaliyev, Caulfield, Podkolzin and Krebs, who will likely all be there.

Now no one really knows who the Oil will take at 8 because no one really knows who will or won’t be available at 8. I cannot see them passing on Cozens if he is still there.

From reports, it is the Oiler scouts that are in love with Broberg, and likely that is the only pipeline to info “The Insiders” presently have. Add that to Red Wing love for Swedes, and you have anarrative they can run with.

We don’t even know how much Holland will trust the Oiler scouts over the reports he was getting in Detroit before coming here.

If, for eg, Håkan LOVED Broberg, would we all feel a little differently about the pick? And if he didn’t, would Holland be likely to make that his #8?

64. LadiesloveSmid says:

godot10: Two more catastrophic trades those would be.

Ken (Holland) to Peter (Chiarelli): Hold my beer.

Anything to back that up?

Gostisbehere is statisically one of the best puck moving D in the league. Signed 4 more seasons @ $4.5M. Ehlers signed 6 more seasons at $6M. Top 50 in 5v5/60 since entering the league.

What is Nurse making in a year? RNH in 2?

I might call those coups over catastrophes but I try to not let my emotions dictate player values

65. Munny says:

Chris: Mrazek is the play for goal.

He would be my target too. (If the price is right)

66. Pouzar says:

JimmyV1965:

The draft is in 2 days.

67. Oil2Oilers says:

After the Leafs unload Zaitsev somewhere else they will need players to cover RHD.

What would the Oilers have to add to Russell to get Kappen back? Would Bear or a 3d do it?

68. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Munny,

I may need an insurance adjuster

Know anyone..?

Once upon a time, but I’ve been good lately…

just sayin: And how did that work out for us in 2018/2019? I am fine with Cozens but I don’t know about Krebs. We need more goals. Scoring goals is hard.

20 more goals out of McDavid plus 20 out of th all around forward you draft (not Caufield or Kaliyev) is like drafting a 40 goal scorer.

70. Rondo says:

Oilers list

1. Dach
    2.Cozens
    3.Zegras
    4.Boldy
    5. Broberg

71. Jaxon says:

Woogie63:
    Is Broberg a reasonable pick to contribute 4 years from now?Will the conveyor belt need a LHD?

Known left handed defenceman … 4 years from now

Klefbom – 29 years old – 556 NHL games
    Nurse 28 years old – 559 NHL games
    Sekera 37 years old – 947 NHL games
    Russell 36 years old – 1071 NHL games
    Jones – 26 years old – 275 NHL games
    Samorukov – 24 years old – 150 NHL games
    Legesson 27 years old – 150 NHL games

Broberg 22 years old – 15 NHL games

I agree, pick forwards this year with picks 8 and 38. This is how I visualize or age clusters and peak seasons. Yellow, orange, and red is where you want most players when becoming a contender.

I’ve made my own assumptions on when players contribute, when they peak, and when they decline that are position specific. Not everyone may agree, but I think it makes a pretty good estimation of where the team is in its development every year. I think they’ll have 6 very good years coming up after this season with their best chance of winning it all in the middle of that 6 year period.

72. Pouzar says:

Rondo:
    Oilers list

1. Dach
    2.Cozens
    3.Zegras
    4.Broberg
    5. Boldy

Pretty accurate based on Stauffer’s latest tweet.

73. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

defmn:

No way should a team’s draft pick choice be public knowledge weeks in advance.

74. Munny says:

godot10: I want to draft someone who can help McDavid be a 60-90-150 guy. A one-dimensional goal scorer is not going to do that.

The only player at 8 who has a chance at doing that is Kaliyev and he’s no guarantee, and again… 3 years away.

75. Ben says:

@JasonGregor
    1m1 minute ago
    I will be shocked if Oilers select Broberg. Many stories get legs during draft week, but after discussions with scouts and other sources I’m led to believe this one will not come to fruition. #NHLDraft

76. LadiesloveSmid says:

Sorry, natural stattrick doesn’t do 4 year ranges. Ehlers is 43rd in 5v5 P/60 last 3 seasons (500 mins).

77. JimmyV1965 says:

Pouzar: The draft is in 2 days.

We’ve been talking about it all week.

78. Munny says:

Pouzar: Pretty accurate based on Stauffer’s latest tweet.

The thing that confuses me is “traction”. Where is this “traction” for Broberg, other than in the media?

79. bsmart says:

I would go with Caufield 100%, McDavid needs a sniper and this kid has averaged 66 goals per season over the past 5 years. He is a machine. On a team that lacks secondary scoring having our very own plus skating Debrincat would be significant. I have this scoring dynamo at #4 on my draft list, to get him at 8 would be tremendous.

80. Pouzar says:

Ben:
    @JasonGregor1m1 minute ago

I don’t need an excuse to drink.

81. Pouzar says:

Munny: The thing that confuses me is “traction”.Where is this “traction” for Broberg, other than in the media?

Gregor poo pooin it.

82. Pescador says:

godot10: Ottawa wants dead cap that doesn’t cost them actual money.Ericksson, Lucic, and Neal don’t qualify.

David Clarkson does.

Ottawa is a cash poor team.They will take on cap that doesn’t cost them any money.

Kinda strange that Clarkson submitted a 15 team No trade list to Vegas.
    He hasn’t played in what 3 years & is on permanent LTIR?
    Trade my cap hit, just not to these 15 teams
    Just in case

Ben:
    @JasonGregor1m1 minute ago

84. Ben says:

Lowetide: Then it’s counter trey and brilliant counter trey at that. Holland is an interesting fellow.

Just waiting for him to make an actual move of some kind so I can immediately overreact to it.

85. Pouzar says:

Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) · Twitter

Perry could be an interesting option for the Oilers. I think there is interest on their end. Veteran help for McDavid Draisaitl and RNH, gritty game and I’d imagine he’s pretty motivated. Numbers would have to make sense.
    6 mins ago

86. texmex says:

Pescador: Kinda strange that Clarkson submitted a 15 team No trade list to Vegas.
    He hasn’t played in what 3 years & is on permanent LTIR?
    Trade my cap hit, just not to these 15 teams
    Just in case

87. Professor Q says:

I think as Holland is concentrating on Top 6 Fs and Gs, from his availabilities, and doesn’t want to trade the pick, plus he loves the Ds in the pipeline, he’s going skilled F at 8.

Or maybe a Wild Card selection of Knight…

88. Munny says:

Ben,

I (obviously) agree with Gregor.

89. Professor Q says:

Pouzar: The draft is in 2 days.

I think you underestimate hair pulling abilities.

90. Munny says:

Pouzar:
    Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) · Twitter

6 mins ago

Except he isn’t a first line player any more.

Edit: I have difficulty believing Rishaug was able to actually confirm interest in the short interim between the Perry announcement and the tweet, while dealing with Vancoove’s airport.

91. Pouzar says:

Munny:
    Ben,

I (obviously) agree with Gregor.

speaking of excuses to drink.

92. Ben says:

Pouzar,

Perry was on-pace to win the Green Jacket last year with an incredible -16 in just 31 games (dismal stat aside). Unless the Oilers know something useful about his health they should be ten-foot-polling this one.

Munny: You’re not picking top 2, and anyone who you do pick isn’t playing for 3 years, so this strategy seems pretty silly.

McDavid is still going to be here in three years. Knock on wood.

I value players with all-around skills more than one-dimensional players.

94. Munny says:

Pouzar: speaking of excuses to drink.

No kiddin.

95. ArmchairGM says:

admiralmark:

I agree that Broberg would be a reach at 8.

I really like Broberg and I would be happy to see his name on the Oilers depth chart, but I’m 99% sure that there will be a better player (and a better fit) available at 8. Whether that’s Cozens, Podkolzin, Caufield or Kaliyev, we have a very good chance to add a high value winger this week.

96. Reja says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: I was thinking precisely the same thing yesterday. That and the fact that he seems to be a bit of a reach at #8 and that our forward prospects really need an upgrade leads me to believe this is disinformation, plain and simple. If we do end up picking Broberg, Holland definitely needs to address the leak issue.

Now playing at the Mayfield Theatre starring Kenny Holland as Henry Gondorff in the Sting.

97. slopitch says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Benning plus Puljujarvi for Kadri?

Kadri would be my target via trade.

I like D plenty but I do feel like Broberg at 8 is a stretch – perhaps if he was RHD. I’m a Cozens, Boldy, Caufield guy.

I’d like to see the Oilers move out Russell or Sekera for a pick in the next few days. Then stand pat at free agency. Cap space is a great asset, not to be blown on July 1.

98. Durag says:

Munny: Except he isn’t a first line player any more.

I think he means as a 3C who can play some of the tough minutes.

If he would come for cheap…I think it would be kind of ok? His possession numbers aren’t bad and he can still score 5v5 and 5v4. In a world where Kevin Hayes gets a Lucic contract, he might be the only bargain free agent option at 3C.

OriginalPouzar:
    Benning plus Puljujarvi for Kadri?

In a heartbeat, but I think Toronto does whatever it takes to keep Kadri.

99. ArmchairGM says:

Jaxon:

100. Jaxon says:

I believe this will be my final list. From an Oilers centric assessment of prospects. Made some adjustments from a few days ago. I value 5v5 age-and-league-adjusted primary points per minute. I value speed and goal scoring as well as hockey sense, defensive prowess, and a physical game in roughly that order. I am more confident selecting players from the CHL due to more data and a relatively equal playing field. I worry about ice time and players meeting minimum threshold of 13.72 minutes at 5v5. I worry about players with little production and players on the USNDTP being zoomed by linemates and situation (ie. all-star team playing everyone else). I try not to be swayed by tournaments, but I see a full playoff run of 20+ games as a decent sample of clutch scoring (Lavoie). I constrain myself to the upper and lower limits of publicized scouting lists because I’m mostly relying on stats and the verbal of those very scouts. It gets very hazy around 24 to 30. There are probably another dozen players that could easily fit there.

Rank – Player – HI – AVG – LO
    28 – Tobias Bjornfot – 18 – 26 – 31
    29 – Ryan Suzuki – 14 – 21 – 29
    30 – Nicholas Robertson – 18 – 26 – 30
    31 – Samuel Poulin – 19 – 25 – 31

101. Munny says:

Cosentino’s Mock:

He has the Oilers taking Bro, Tomasino going 16 and Beecher at 30.

102. LadiesloveSmid says:

Man, I’d really like fresh coaching staff to have a go with JP before they dump him for pennies.

So much raw talent.

103. admiralmark says:

Good Points. Lets just say it’s highly unlikely that at #8 Broberg is the BPA on nearly everyone’s draft board according to the majority of the information put out there by scouting services. So if the Oilers DO have him as their BPA at #8 then they are reaching by most standards. Do their scouts or Holland just know more and have a better assessment in regards to this player? Only time can ultimately answer that. Personally from a fans perspective this is reminiscent of when they gave away 16th and 33rd in a deep draft for a player nobody outside of Bob Green saw as a lock for the NHL in any capacity. Perhaps this wouldn’t be as disastrous since Broberg looks like a better bet to make the NHL. But it certainly will raise some eyebrows and doubt in the start of Hollands tenure.

Munny: As leery as I am of picking Broberg at 8, I don’t think this is framed correctly.

The issue is whether or not a more talented or useful player is still on the board for the taking.that depends on how a GM feels about Kaliyev, Caulfield, Podkolzin and Krebs, who will likely all be there.

Now no one really knows who the Oil will take at 8 because no one really knows who will or won’t be available at 8.I cannot see them passing on Cozens if he is still there.

From reports, it is the Oiler scouts that are in love with Broberg, and likely that is the only pipeline to info “The Insiders” presently have.Add that to Red Wing love for Swedes, and you have anarrative they can run with.

If, for eg, Håkan LOVED Broberg, would we all feel a little differently about the pick?And if he didn’t, would Holland be likely to make that his #8?

104. Munny says:

Durag: I think he means as a 3C who can play some of the tough minutes.

That’s a position he’s never played.

The past two yrs he’s been mostly 3RW and 4RW in deployment, playing up some when the injury bug struck the Ducks, but unable to sustain in the top 6.

105. Chris says:

Pouzar,

Agreed. Unfortunately, there is very little chance that the numbers would make sense. Good thing Chia is gone.

106. Reja says:

Ben:
    Pouzar,

107. Durag says:

Munny,

Whoops. You’re right. I don’t know why I thought Perry had played center.

108. Munny says:

Wow. Ducks did not have a 50 point player last season.

109. McSorley33 says:

Munny,

Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty · 10m10 minutes ago

Edm needs forwards….

I’ll take ‘Massive Understatement’ for 1, 000 Alex.

110. ArmchairGM says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Think you could pull off Gostisbehere for RNH + Nurse for Ehlers?

111. Munny says:

Durag:
    Munny,

Whoops. You’re right. I don’t know why I thought Perry had played center.

Thinking of Kesler, maybe?

He’s coming off an injury plagued season… but I think he would be willing to go to a cup contender for super cheap on a one year. Vegas/Toronto maybe Boston.

112. Munny says:

McSorley33,

Think of the Video Daily Double possibilities… endless.

113. Ben says:

Reja: How many goals would he score on the cheap sniffing leon and Connor’s ass around the net.

114. McNuge93 says:

Ben: I suppose at the least he could be useful for five-hole expansion. Dude should’ve been a gynecologist.

I think that was Kessler also.

115. ArmchairGM says:

Munny: You’re not picking top 2 talent, and anyone who you do pick isn’t playing for 3 years, so this strategy seems pretty silly.

No. Pick 8 should be 1 year away, maybe 1.5. As per recent history.

116. McSorley33 says:

JimmyV1965,

****************************************************************************************************************
    Broberg’s agent just has a link directing people to the Oilers PR department.

I have not seen a PR department work this hard since the pumping of Keith Gretzky.

117. LadiesloveSmid says:

ArmchairGM: Sure, but you’re losing value with both trades. And who will play 2LD and 2C then? You’re creating massive holes unnecessarily.

And I don’t know what world you’re losing value.

You’ve got a 2C in Draisaitl.

118. Jordan says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    I feel like there’s a top 8.

Either its a smoke screen, or the Oilers are advertising that they want to move down.

Could be both.

119. ArmchairGM says:

Professor Q: maybe a Wild Card selection of Knight…

I’ve been wondering this too. It’ll be an interesting Friday.

120. ArmchairGM says:

LadiesloveSmid: You gain a 1RD at the expense of your 2LD. Creating a hole by filling a more glaring hole.

And I don’t know what world you’re losing value.

You’ve got a 2C in Draisaitl.

Sorry, what? I don’t see any RD in the equation at all.

121. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Pouzar,

Glad they liked it, happy to help!

122. LadiesloveSmid says:

ArmchairGM: Sorry, what? I don’tsee any RD in the equation at all.

Gostisbehere plays right side

123. Munny says:

ArmchairGM: No. Pick 8 should be 1 year away, maybe 1.5. As per recent history.

We fired recent history.

The only one at 8 who has a chance to play NHL top 6 in 1.5 yrs is Cozens and that’s still a maybe. Krebs won’t be able to without a giant jump in development after a no-summer.

124. Durag says:

McSorley33:

I don’t think Jim Matheson constitutes a PR department.

125. Jaxon says:

ArmchairGM: Sorry, what? I don’tsee any RD in the equation at all.

And a relatively soft LD at that. No thanks. That’s a lesser player at both positions.

126. Fraktal says:

Pouzar,

IMO, Maki Maki is terrible. The sushi is meh, service is meh. While this won’t affect most people, I ordered chocolate milk for my kid and they mixed Nestle Quik with milk…

If you’re interested in Japanese food in that area, go to Furusato (on Whyte ave) or Dorinku (less sushi, but more izakaya). Furusato looks like a hole in the wall, but the service is friendly and the food quality (and portion sizes) are great.

127. hags9k says:

Assuming Cozens and Dach are off the board, I like either Zegras or Caufield at 8.

Caufield’s goal totals are eye popping. He might be that elusive RH on the PP. Is he Eberle with a one timer? Letestu even looked good there for awhile, this guy might be able to do real damage. 72 goals is a lot in any league.

Fun weekend ahead!

GOILERS!!

128. texmex says:

Darren Dreger

Verified account

@DarrenDreger
    2m2 minutes ago
    Jesse Puljujarvi has made it clear to the Edmonton Oilers he wants to be traded. He wants a fresh start to his young NHL career. It’s believed the Oilers are willing to accommodate, but won’t give him away and intend on being patient in finding a right fit.

129. Death By Misadventure says:

Fact is we don’t know and are mostly guessing.

I highly doubt Oilers pick Broberg. No org is this stupid at telegraphing their draft picks. Even Chia wasn’t this dumb.

130. Jaxon says:

LadiesloveSmid: Gostisbehere plays right side

I’m pretty sure he’s a left handed D who plays left side

I find both these sites pretty reliable. For instance, Russell is listed on both as RD

131. Pescador says:

Durag: I don’t think Jim Matheson constitutes a PR department.

Ya more like General clickbait

132. Death By Misadventure says:

Ben:
    @JasonGregor1m1 minute ago

I believe this. Broberg will not be an Oiler.

And if he is, it’s because Oilers traded down.

133. Yeti says:

texmex,

Ugh. We’re going to turn a top four pick into a 2nd rounder, aren’t we.

134. npanciroli says:

Interesting to see how Holland handles the Puljujärvi trade request.

135. Gerta Rauss says:

texmex:
    Darren Dreger

Verified account

@DarrenDreger2m2 minutes ago

136. JimmyV1965 says:

McSorley33:
    JimmyV1965,

Broberg’s agent just has a link directing people to the Oilers PR department.

Sorry. I don’t understand the implications of this or what it means. And why would his agent link to Oilers PR dept?

137. Death By Misadventure says:

Lowetide: for

Yup I believe it too.

Ive said it before and I’ll say it again, I know nothing, but I get feelings, that are usually wrong, but I get the feeling LA drafts Broberg.

138. bwar says:

Who wants to bet that we trade Benning for some scraps and then he immediately secures a top 4 role on his new team?

I’ve never been a big Benning guy but I just have been getting a sneaking suspicion that he is not the guy we need to look at moving from the defense group.

139. ArmchairGM says:

LadiesloveSmid: Gostisbehere plays right side

So another Kris Russell? Sign me up!

But you’re dreaming if you think he can handle 1st pairing comp – he’s a 3rd pairing guy with PP acumen, similar to Colin Miller. He gets caved at even strength against both Elite and Gritensity players.

140. Death By Misadventure says:

Professor Q: Or maybe a Wild Card selection of Knight…

Considering how much Holland has talked about goaltending since taking over, I wouldnt be surprised.

141. pts2pndr says:

Jaxon:

You are still paying three million for nothing for four years. That by math gives your competition approx a 4 percent cap advantage for four years. At the trade deadline in one of the next two years you can get rid of Lucic for far less. Retaining salary and adding players or picks is counterproductive.

142. Coiler says:

Uhhhh…..Perry? No thanks.

The idea of getting an overage, broken down, penalty magnet should not be appealing to anyone this organization. Thank God Chiarelli isn’t running things anymore.

143. JimmyV1965 says:

Death By Misadventure: The Oilers media ecosystem is an echo chamber. Bloggers quote media and media quote bloggers and everybody quotes everybody till it becomes a fact.

Fact is we don’t know and are mostly guessing.

+1000. The talk started ramping up when Button released his mock draft and had Broberg at #8. And this wasn’t based on anything he heard. He simply said it was a good fit, which doesn’t make sense either.

144. Pescador says:

texmex:
    Darren Dreger

Verified account

@DarrenDreger2m2 minutes ago

Hopefully Ken Holland will take a page out of Steve Yzerman & Joe Sakic’s book.
    Amazing thought to contemplate.
    Plus although I sympathize with young Jesse, it’s not up to him to decide and don’t be a quitter

145. OriginalPouzar says:

Jaxon:

146. Pescador says:

Death By Misadventure: Yup I believe it too.

You misspelled Byram

147. Death By Misadventure says:

texmex: I believe his list will include high income tax cities / countries. If he’s traded to Canada for instance from Nevada, he loses a lot cash to taxes

Unless the tax code has some bizzare provisions for hockey players I doubt this would be the case. Taxation is based on residence. If Clarkason physically remains a resident of Las Vegas, it doesn’t matter which team pays him. He will pay Las Vegas taxes.

148. Pescador says:

Yeti:
    texmex,

Ugh. We’re going to turn a top four pick into a 2nd rounder, aren’t we.

Judging from previous returns, failed top 5 Oiler prospects are worth a 3rd & a conditional 5th.
    It does beg the question who was more productive at this point in their career Yak or Yessa?

149. OilSlickster says:

LadiesloveSmid,

I’d be fine acquiring those 2 but would try to do it without losing Nuge. Being the rough and tumble Flyers maybe they go Nurse for Ghost. And with the Jets cap crunch, maybe Benning and Puljujarvi or Benning, Safin, and pick 38. Something like that. Trading away Nuge forces us to split our big guns and still searching for a 2nd line winger.

150. flyfish1168 says:

” Holland’s modus operandi involves employing the aged, so the idea that Sekera or Russell are in the end days with the organization shouldn’t be assumed. Nuge? Miles to go. Holland’s final Red Wings team had TEN players 30+, compared to six on the team he inherits in Edmonton. Holland might add more to the current group.”

I would worry about adding too much to the OVER 30 crowd. NHL style of play has changed. Speed and more speed with size is the right recipe. Blues is a good example of a good mix. JMHO

151. pts2pndr says:

texmex: Someone will overpay Perry big time. Think Vinny LeCavailier

Don’t think you would want to bet the house on that! He was never more than an average skater and he has lost a step. Watching him in real time is like watching slow motion.

152. flyfish1168 says:

Munny:
    Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty · 10m10 minutes ago

I’m OK with this. Draft best available player, add to asset and use the asset to facilitate a trade for need.

153. ArmchairGM says:

Gerta Rauss: Maybe we can move him to WPG for that Roslovic kid before Chevy comes to his senses

Or to Washington for Burakovsky.

154. pts2pndr says:

155. LadiesloveSmid says:

Jaxon,

He played about 60% of his 5v5 minutes on the right side this past season. His most common partner was Provorov (though it was a revolving door).

Played about 90+ % of 2017-18 on the right side.

156. LadiesloveSmid says:

ArmchairGM: So another Kris Russell? Sign me up!

Every D playing his off side isn’t KR

Played 39% of his ES ice time against elite in 2017-18 with a +3.00% DFFrel

Dropped to 2nd pair this past season (29%), but again with fine results (+.5%rel).

Colin Miller played butter soft minutes in 17-18 and still played softer minutes this past season than SG.

157. texmex says:

Death By Misadventure,

Really? I don’t think is the case at all. I could be wrong. If you earn money in a state, I’m pretty sure that state is going to want its tax dollars. If you worked in California and lived in Nevada, you don’t have to pay California state tax? I’d commute!!!

158. Death By Misadventure says:

Pescador: You misspelled Byram

I suspect Byram will not get past 4.

159. LadiesloveSmid says:

OilSlickster:
    LadiesloveSmid,

I’d be fine acquiring those 2 but would try to do it without losing Nuge. Being the rough and tumble Flyers maybe they go Nurse for Ghost. And with the Jets cap crunch,maybe Benning and Puljujarvior Benning, Safin, and pick 38. Something like that. Trading away Nuge forces us to split our big guns and still searching for a 2nd line winger.

Totally fair.

I’d call it a minor personnel improvement, would help maybe marginally next season but the cap implications are the bigger win.

I don’t want them to just add narrowly.

160. ArmchairGM says:

LadiesloveSmid: Every D playing his off side isn’t KR

Now check Matt Benning’s DFFrel.

161. just sayin says:

godot10: I want to draft someone who can help McDavid be a 60-90-150 guy.A one-dimensional goal scorer is not going to do that.

162. jtblack says:

@TSNRyanRishaug
    54s54 seconds ago
    Couple of Oiler quick hitters as we touch down in Van –
    -Broberg a very good possibility at 8
    -If Puljujarvi deal can land a 3line F, they do it, if not they may stand pat
    -Benning likely in play – create space for young D
    -Connolly should be a prime UFA target for them.

**PREFER A FORWARD DRAFTED @ #8, #38 **
    **SAIL ON JP. HOPE WE GET SOMETHING OF VALUE**
    **KEEP BENNING AND MOVE SEKERA OR RUSSELL, RHD has been an issue since Petry was traded and still is today. We have an ABUNDANCE of LHD**
    **CONNOLLY WOULD BE EXCELLENT !! **

LET’S GO OILERS !!

163. Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR says:

How awesome would it be if all this Broberg talk was just a smokescreen from Holland so he can do something awesome? We’re more accustomed to Chia getting wedgies from opposing GM’s, so this would be a nice change of pace.

164. pts2pndr says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Think you could pull off Gostisbehere for RNH + Nurse for Ehlers?

Why would you want a small left shot D.

165. Death By Misadventure says:

texmex:
    Death By Misadventure,

Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear but I was responding in regards to international taxes ie: being traded from Las Vegas to Ottawa for example. If he doesn’t move to Ottawa and set up residence there, he would be on the hook for US taxes, not Canadian taxes. The interstate and interprovince taxes may work differently. I’m not sure.

166. jimmers2 says:

At least when I lived there, New York State and New York City taxed New Jersey residents who earned their salary in NY.

texmex:
    Death By Misadventure,

167. Numenius says:

Or JP for Ehlers straight up.

They might even think about it for a second.

Winnipeg gets cap space and lots of potential and a friend to Laine. Oilers lose cap but get a solid top 6 winger who’s badly needed.

168. Durag says:

Numenius,

JP + #8 for Ehlers + #20? I would.

169. Reja says:

pts2pndr: How long would Connor and Leon have to play keep away in the offensive zone for him to get there?

My dream is a Triple Crown line. Maybe that Caufield kid steps right in and scores 50 Mark Letestu looked like Mike Bossy on the powerplay. We should be a top 3 at least all we need is bossy I mean dare I say Caufield.

170. Jaxon says:

Reja: My dream is a Triple Crown line. Maybe that Caufield kidsteps right in and scores 50 MarkLetestu looked like Mike Bossy on the powerplay. We should be a top3 at least all we need is bossy I mean dare I say Caufield.

Charlie Simmer?

171. Numenius says:

texmex:
    Darren Dreger

Verified account

@DarrenDreger2m2 minutes ago

172. Numenius says:

Durag:
    Numenius,

JP + #8 for Ehlers + #20? I would.

That’s too much for me, especially if Cozens is available.

173. Bag of Pucks says:

Lowetide: Honestly, I’m a Sticky Fingers currently but yes, Exile is usually No. 1

If you haven’t seen it already, Stones in Exile is well worth the watch.

A good alternate title would’ve been “Wasting away in Marseilles”

174. Rondo says:

Maybe they say they like Broberg because someone below them wants Broberg.

Could see Flyers interested in Broberg.

175. Munny says:

Numenius: Or JP for Ehlers straight up.

They might even think about it for a second.

I’ve been pushing this for awhile too. Really needs a second trade though for cap space, and Holland is not a trader type.

I can see Pujo and our 2nd to move back into the 1st round. That seems like a Holland deal.

176. Munny says:

Numenius: Jesse needs saving from his agent. This has agent marks all over it. Once again trying to micromanage a young players career.

I’m not so sure.

I mean he has the “fresh start” as far as new management and coaches go.

I think he wants a fresh locker room. Speculating of course.

177. Munny says:

just sayin: Connor is an amazing set-up man. Last season he set up Draisaitl . I would like Leon to drive his own line and Connor to have another goal scorer to set up. There is only one puck for playmakers. This will not happen next season but let’s build a team that can win Stanley.

This is a better strategy than Godot’s and plays to McDavid’s strengths.

178. Munny says:

Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR: How awesome would it be if all this Broberg talk was just a smokescreen from Holland so he can do something awesome?

I highly doubt any of this is coming from Holland, but presuming it is, the only possibility is that he knows Detroit is considering Broberg and he wants to give them an extra push to make a Cozens pick more likely.

179. Jethro Tull says:

texmex:
    Darren Dreger

Verified account

@DarrenDreger2m2 minutes ago

This has become a stock tweet for Oilers draft picks. The kicker being, in making it clear, JP has sewered his value. Why pay full price now?

180. Munny says:

Jethro Tull,

I don’t trust the source. Dreger could simply be motivated by wanting to help the Leafs unload Zaitsev.

181. Reja says:

I want the Triple Crown line all they need is quick trigger and a puck magnet it was suppose to be the Finn that the other Finn didn’t alarm bells going off choose. Now I have Jesse’s Girl playing in my head very catchy tune at the time.

182. Reja says:

Jaxon: Charlie Simmer?

No offence to kassian who I like for short stints in the top 6 but he is not the answer for the Canadian Triple Crown.

183. LadiesloveSmid says:

ArmchairGM: You didn’t look at his GF%, did you. He got eaten alive by Elites while facing them less often than KR has. He isn’t a 1RD candidate.

Now check Matt Benning’s DFFrel.

Philly played 8 different goalies last season. Did you look at his PDO?

Did you look at his GF% vs elites in 2017-18? 52.6%

Benning’s a great 3RD.

184. Reja says:

Jethro Tull: This has become a stock tweet for Oilers draft picks.The kicker being, in making it clear, JP has sewered his value. Why pay full price now?

I wouldn’t trade JP unless it’s in a package with Lucic or you get above market value make him sit if you have too his Agent isn’t running the show with Holland.

185. russ99 says:

Numenius,

Yup. Hope Holland holds fast on this one…

Tommi Seppälä
    @TommiSeppala
    Puljujärvi’s agent Markus Lehto:

”It doesn’t make sense to go back where we were last season, it’s not good for either side. Discussions about parting ways have been going on for weeks already. Jesse needs a fresh start and it’s nothing against the Oilers”.

2:10pm · 19 Jun 2019

186. ArmchairGM says:

LadiesloveSmid: Gostisbehere played more % of his ice time vs elites than any oilers D has since Sekera in 15/16.

Nope.

16-17: 20.4 (Sekera, Russell, Larsson, Klefbom, Benning, Davidson, Gryba, Nurse all played more vs Elites)
    17-18: 38.9 (none)
    18-19: 29.3 (Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse, Jones, Russell, Gravel)

So he played 2nd pairing 1 year, in 2017-18.

LadiesloveSmid: Also averages 21.5 minutes/game the past 3 seasons. Benning just over 17. Not sure I understand the comparison

You were quoting DFFrel vs Elites.

Benning
    16-17: +2.30
    17-18: +5.70 ^
    18-19: +9.30 ^^

Gostisbehere
    16-17: +4.20
    17-18: +3.00 v
    18-19: +0.50 vv

If DFFrel is supposed to prove Ghost is able to play 1st pair, these numbers aren’t convincing me. Goal share at 5v5 v Elites isn’t looking special either:

Benning
    16-17: 57.90 (11 – 8)
    17-18: 53.60 (15 – 13)
    18-19: 45.00 (9 – 11)
    Total: 52.24 (35 – 32)

Gostisbehere
    16-17: 41.20 (7 – 10)
    17-18: 52.60 (20 – 18)
    18-19: 36.40 (12 – 21)
    Total: 44.32 (39 – 49)

Benning also posted good numbers while playing 1st and 2nd pairing over the past 3 years. Do you want me to post those numbers as well?

Look, I’m not suggesting Benning is as dynamic as Gostisbehere – I’d love to have the Ghost in Edmonton but I’m not going to give away the farm to get him – especially with Philly making the deals that they are this week – and I sure as hell am not going to pretend he can play 1RD.

187. v4ance says:

Tommi Seppälä @TommiSeppala

Puljujärvi’s agent Markus Lehto:

Well the beans have been spilled so no way to undo it now. Holland needs to go hardball and tell Jesse to sign an interim deal and play well enough to be traded for a viable return or Jesse sits as an unsigned RFA.

Maybe someone tries an offer sheet of about $2 million for a 3rd round pick but then we should just match. If someone offers more than $2.1 million, take the 2nd round compensation.

188. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99:
    Numenius,

Yup. Hope Holland holds fast on this one…

Tommi Seppälä
    @TommiSeppala
    Puljujärvi’s agent Markus Lehto:

2:10pm · 19 Jun 2019

Lame

189. ArmchairGM says:

LadiesloveSmid:

PP time. At 5v5 they were closer, here is TOI/g and p/60 over the past 3 years.

Benning 14:26, 0.81
    Gostisbehere 15:28, 0.84

190. LadiesloveSmid says:

ArmchairGM: Nope.

17-18: 38.9 (none)
    18-19: 29.3 (Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse, Jones, Russell, Gravel)

So he played 2nd pairing 1 year, in 2017-18.

You were quoting DFFrel vs Elites.

Benning

Total: 52.24 (35 – 32)

Gostisbehere
    16-17: 41.20 (7 – 10)
    17-18: 52.60 (20 – 18)
    18-19: 36.40 (12 – 21)
    Total: 44.32 (39 – 49)

Sorry, meant to say in 2017-18 he played more % of his ice-time vs elites than any oilers D in the last 3 years (as your list states).

I just don’t understand how pulling any guy with strong numbers playing 17 minutes a night, nullifies the value of a top pair D. He’s played 1RD and he’s played it well, as recently as last season. Looks as though Ghost took a small step back this year. The entire Philly team did.

Why is comparing Ghost to Benning any different from comparing Giordano to Troy Stecher in Vancouver? What an arbitrary comparable

In a million years I wouldn’t call replacing Nurse with Ghost “giving away the farm”

191. Professor Q says:

v4ance:
    Tommi Seppälä @TommiSeppala

Puljujärvi’s agent Markus Lehto:

Well the beans have been spilled so no way to undo it now.Holland needs to go hardball and tell Jesse to sign an interim deal and play well enough to be traded for a viable return or Jesse sits as an unsigned RFA.

Maybe someone tries an offer sheet of about $2 million for a 3rd round pick but then we should just match.If someone offers more than $2.1 million, take the 2nd round compensation.

He’s not doing himself any favours.

192. LadiesloveSmid says:

ArmchairGM: PP time. At 5v5 they were closer, here is TOI/g and p/60 over the past 3 years.

Benning 14:26, 0.81
    Gostisbehere 15:28, 0.84

I see ES as

Benning: 14:49
    Gostisbehere: 16:31

Ghost is a top 15 PP D in the league, averages ~5 P/60 on the PP

193. jp says:

I thought RNH was that guy.

194. Munny says:

v4ance: Puljujärvi’s agent Markus Lehto:

What kind of idiot agent damages trade possibilities by going public?

195. Bag of Pucks says:

russ99:
    Numenius,

Yup. Hope Holland holds fast on this one…

Tommi Seppälä
    @TommiSeppala
    Puljujärvi’s agent Markus Lehto:

2:10pm · 19 Jun 2019

This is why I can’t get jacked about draft hype anymore.

They all present like nymphomaniac supermodels at the start, and 3 years later, you’ve got yourself an even odds chance of a prudish school marm instead. I can’t get no satisfaction from draft busts.

Will most definitely be cheering for Kassian to light up JP on his new team.

196. Durag says:

Munny: What kind of idiot agent damages trade possibilities by going public?

The same one that insists his client get caved in a league he’s not ready for rather than develop in a lower one.

197. Rondo says:

Would you trade the # 8 for #11 + # 41?

198. Bag of Pucks says:

Durag: The same one that insists his client get caved in a league he’s not ready for rather than develop in alower one.

New word for Oilers fans.

Yakupuljarvian

Means douchebaggeryesque agent behaviour.

Actually, I like Puljupov better.

“It takes real cahones to Puljupov a trade request like that one.”

199. v4ance says:

Just took a peek at Markus Lehto’s client list at Acme World Sports.

Along with Puljujärvi, Koskinen and Lagesson are his clients among the Oilers. He also represents Tukka Rask, Filppula, Eaves, Teuvo Teräväinen, Kasperi Kapanen, and the recently traded Pionk.

With the Kapanen and Puljujärvi negotiations, he won’t be winning many fans in Canada soon…

Newer Comments »