Burn Down the Mission

The Edmonton Oilers are a team in the National Hockey League. They have many players from several different countries. The Oilers play in a giant building that resembles a box of chocolates: You never know what you’re going to get.

Before the season began, I predicted 88 points this season for the Oilers. We’re at exactly the halfway point (41 games) and the team has 44 points, exactly half. There are several ways one could write that story in a positive way, but the Oilers play in December makes it impossible. It is truly a one man show and general manager Ken Holland is going to need to get to work immediately if he wants to be a buyer at the deadline. Edmonton’s NHL team looks spent.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, less than two coffees a month offer here.

• New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘We didn’t come with the mindset to play a hard game’: Poor preparation leaves Oilers coach steaming
  • New Lowetide: Edmonton Oilers’ goaltending depth chart in need of talent injection
  • New Lowetide: Oilers’ fleet centre prospect Ryan McLeod finding the range with the Bakersfield Condors
  • Jonathan Willis: Leon Draisaitl is struggling badly, even as the Oilers’ depth forwards seem to be coming around
  • Lowetide: Should the Oilers pursue Lias Andersson in trade?
  • Daniel Nugent-BowmanBroken toes, holiday-time hospital visits and memories of home: A week in the life of Oscar Klefbom, the Oilers’ do-everything defenceman
  • Daniel Nugent-BowmanGrasping Mike Smith, Leon Draisaitl and the Oilers’ recent plight by reading between the lines
  • Lowetide: As Oilers’ auditions of fringe forwards nears conclusion, it’s time for Condors’ top prospects to force the issue
  • Lowetide: The key missing element to the Oilers’ brilliant top line
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘We called him ‘The Crane”: Teammates and coaches reveal their best Connor McDavid stories
  • Jonathan Willis: Should the Oilers have outbid the Coyotes for Taylor Hall?
  • Lowetide: Connor McDavid’s frustration and the impact it could have on the Edmonton Oilers
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers need to figure out five-on-five woes quickly, starting with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl
  • Lowetide: Who should be the next man up from the Bakersfield Condors?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: 10 subscriber questions for Oilers rookie defenceman Ethan Bear
  • Lowetide: Five loud noises Ken Holland could make to help the Oilers immediately
  • Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects list, winter 2019
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 5 prospect, Winter 2019 — Raphael Lavoie
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 4 prospect winter 2019: Tyler Benson
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 3 prospect winter 2019: Ethan Bear
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 2 prospect winter 2019: Philip Broberg
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 1 prospect winter 2019: Evan Bouchard

A CONVERSATION

The most interesting hockey subject I came across yesterday was the comments section in the GDT. A discussion around Ken Holland and Philip Broberg got my mind wandering and I’d like to linger for a time and discuss it.

I wanted to go back to last spring, when we were discussing the Oilers at the draft. I don’t recall Philip Broberg’s name being in the conversation until Ken Holland arrived, and once he mentioned the name, I don’t recall any other names being mentioned. On the draft show, Louie DeBrusk mentioned Broberg pre-game, pre-pick and post-pick. Edmonton telegraphed it, just like MacT did with Darnell Nurse. Now, there’s nothing wrong with that, but Holland was working off two lists: Detroit’s and Edmonton’s. I think it’s fair to at least make the point that Holland might have been working off the list he was most familiar with, that of the Red Wings.

Holland hired Tyler Wright as Edmonton’s scouting director after the draft, he’s familiar with him from Detroit. Now Holland is an old scout himself, so I think we might be in for quite a ride with Holland-Wright at the draft controls.

I would describe Broberg as a ‘saw him good’ draft pick. He is fast, had a great Hlinka tournament and WJ’s, owned an 8.5 NHLE from his Allsvenskan boxcars and a shining scouting report that implied he was a complete prospect. That’s an attractive player.

This blog likes the math of the draft and I do think that players who are impact juniors in draft seasons (and not overage) have a far better chance to succeed as NHL players down the line. Here, let me show you the NHLE’s for Edmonton’s first-round draft picks since 2010. See if you can pick out the pure ‘saw him good’ selections:

1. Taylor Hall 2010: 49.25
  2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 2011: 38.04
  3. Oscar Klefbom 2011: 4.24
  4. Nail Yakupov 2012: 43.51
  5. Darnell Nurse 2013: 15.97
  6. Leon Draisaitl 2014: 40.63
  7. Connor McDavid 2015: 67.62
  8. Jesse Puljujarvi 2016: 20.76
  9. Kailer Yamamoto 2017: 37.73
  10. Evan Bouchard 2018: 34.39
  11. Philip Broberg 2019: 8.5

There. Now, it’s easy to spot the ‘saw him good’ group, but these years later no reasonable person can argue Oscar Klefbom was a poor choice. Vladislav Namestnikov (NHLE: 23.29) was probably the best forward available at that time who was in the range. The Darnell Nurse choice had some more controversy, Max Domi (NHLE: 36) had a handsome set of boxcars but Edmonton passed. Broberg was chosen over Trevor Zegras (NHLE: 32.8), probably closer to the Domi pass.

None of that will matter if Broberg develops into a quality player like Oscar Klefbom, unless Zegras develops into a big-time offensive player. We wait. And we should expect a draft next summer like last summer. Saw him good. Tyler Kleven of the USNDTP is a current example of a non-math option who is getting first-round love. This is us. Or could be.

THE 2020 DRAFT

This is a strong draft at the top, I can’t tell you yet how deep it is because it’s not completely baked. Below are the kids who are tearing up the blacktop offensively. Here are the three best players in the draft. Despite last night, Edmonton won’t get to choose any of them.

1 L Alexis Lafreniere, QMJHL. He’s a wizard passer with the puck and can score goals with equal aplomb. Size, speed, skill, he has it all. Only downside? He’s an October 2001, so has less development time than some others. Whoever wins the lottery, this will be their choice.

2 LC Quinton Byfield, OHL. He’s an August 2002 and a big man (6.04, 215) already. He skates well, can pass, take a pass and has a dynamic ability to him. He might be the best player in the draft, partly because he’s several months younger than Lafreniere.

3 LC Cole Perfetti, OHL. Intelligent center with a terrific release, Perfetti is a January 2002. His wrist shot is already a great weapon in the OHL and he’s not fully grown (5.10, 177). Once he adds strength, he should be a formidable player. Has some range.

OILERS AFTER 41

• Oilers in 2015: 17-22-3, 37 points; goal differential -22
  • Oilers in 2016: 21-14-7, 49 points; goal differential +5
  • Oilers in 2017: 18-21-3, 39 points; goal differential -21
  • Oilers in 2018: 19-19-3, 41 points; goal differential -10
  • Oilers in 2019: 20-17-4, 44 points; goal differential -8

I’ve grown weary of this part of the Oilers schedule. There’s something about this team around Christmas, the club just can’t wake up in time. Do you remember that crazy rant I did a couple of years ago? It was after a 5-0 loss to Buffalo iirc, early January, after two similar games around Christmas. Same basic game. Not ready, other team mows them over, everyone says the right thing and we all go home. I don’t know the cure for that. I don’t know what a coach can do, and I sure as hell know that trading a bunch of future for right now doesn’t work. There’s something about this team, and the worry is growing.

What the hell happened with Jesse Puljujarvi? Do winning teams lose their top prospects that way? And another thing: Why aren’t guys drafted in 2011 and 2013, who should be the leaders by now, ready for last night’s game? What do the Oilers do at the Christmas break that the Calgary Flames don’t, and vice versa? Why is Andrew Mangiapane better than any Oilers forward not named Connor McDavid? Where have all the Leon Draisaitl gone?

OILERS IN DECEMBER

• Oilers in December 2015: 6-5-2, 14 points; goal differential -10
  • Oilers in December 2016: 7-2-4, 18 points; goal differential +2
  • Oilers in December 2017: 7-5-1, 15 points; goal differential +3
  • Oilers in December 2018: 6-6-1, 13 points; goal differential -1
  • Oilers in December 2019: 4-8-1, 9 points; goal differential -14

This isn’t really about talent, although that’s part of it. Teams that are outclassed by their opposition can outwork those clubs, the Los Angeles Kings did it last night. Edmonton can work hard, we’ve seen it. Ponderous. This team is ponderous. Most exciting player on the planet and they can’t piss a drop. Incredible.

WHAT TO EXPECT IN DECEMBER

• On the road to: VAN (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • At home to: OTT, LAK, BUF, CAR (Expected 2-1-1) (Actual 1-2-1)
  • On the road to: MIN (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • At home to: TOR (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: DAL, STL (Expected 0-2-0) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • At home to: PIT, MTL (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: VAN (Expected 0-0-1) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • At home to: CAL, NYR (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • Overall expected result: 6-6-2, 14 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 4-8-1, 9 points in 13 games

The coach killer Oilers are back in town. Ken Holland’s plan this year appears to be waiting to see how things turn out. I don’t think these recent performances will allow him to be ponderous. His team has allowed inertia to take hold.

December was a disaster. They can’t possibly be this bad. Can they? We are here….again.

OILERS 2019-20

319 Responses to "Burn Down the Mission"

« Older Comments

Pittsburgh’s forwards. Crosby, Hornqvist, and Malkin in their 30’s. Everyone else from 24-27. One 23-year old.

Only Letang and Johnson in their 30’s on D. With Marino, they will be able to let Schultz (29) walk.

Only two bad contracts in Johnson and Hornqvist. But Hornqvist fills a role when healthy.

Jim Rutherford is sneaky smart.

2. Cassandra says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Trading Drai or McDavid is madness.

It’s like the last 12 years never happened and no one learned a thing.

Get good players, keep good players.

Trading away good players for the sake of depth is death on a team with 2 or maybe 3 good players.

If you want to achieve mediocrity fill your boots.

I’d start with “don’t surround them with shitty players”

Then I’d graduate to “which players do I have whose NHL perceived value is greater than their actual value in spots I have a lot of depth” and trade from there.

I do not, at any point, trade my best players for not best players.

Exactly.

3. Material Elvis says:

Cassandra: This is a fantastic trade for the Oilers.They get two years of Desmith for free.

What do the Penguins get?

Intangibles for the playoffs. And the Oilers second best Rickibox defender.

What do the Penguins get?

Kassian for the playoffs against Washington and Tom Wilson.

5. Material Elvis says:

flyfish1168: Hall trade didn’t hurt as much as the Reinhardt trade. Larsson is a player we did need.Those 2 1st would be the 2 forwards on this team now.

The Petry trade was the trigger that caused the rest of the pain. Keep Petry and Hall is still here.

6. jtblack says:

“I’d start with “don’t surround them with shitty players”

I’d also have my analytics group give me a list of the best value free agents at every price level and roster level.”

______________________________

+1. Perceived value that is higher. I am just guessing, but would start with ..

KASSIAN
    NURSE
    RNH (*ducks*)

Ken will have to sign 2 FA’s this year without question. He kept his powder dry this year, but that won’t be an option next summer. He doesn’t have a good track record here … My vote is for a “Connolly” type mid range Forward and then someone like Pierre Bellemare in Colorado. Great depth player who can PK and can actually score.

7. Material Elvis says:

Bag of Pucks: I never saw Aikman as generational. In terms of talent, he was never a Favre, Marino or Elway.

He was a very good QB surrounded by exceptional talent. All time leading rusher with Emmitt. Hall of Fame WR with Irvin. Very good TE in Novacek. Absolutely dominant O line. The team was stacked around Aikman. That includes D too where they had Haley, Norton, Sanders, etc

Yes, the team was stacked around Aikman. They drafted well to build that team (Edmonton has sucked on draft day for over a decade). The Oilers are not stacked around McDavid. Trading McDavid might help with the stack but then you are looking for the McDavid to build around.

8. Material Elvis says:

jtblack:
    “I’d start with “don’t surround them with shitty players”

______________________________

+1.Perceived value that is higher. I am just guessing, but would start with ..

KASSIAN
    NURSE
    RNH (*ducks*)

Ken will have to sign 2 FA’s this year without question. He kept his powder dry this year, but that won’t be an option next summer.He doesn’t have a good track record here … My vote is for a “Connolly” type mid rangeForward and then someone like Pierre Bellemare in Colorado.Great depth player who can PK and can actually score.

I don’t think RNH’s perceived value is very high around the league.

9. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bag of Pucks,

So you’re using 2 trades, one from 30 years ago in a different league and sport (Walker) and one from 27 years ago (Lindros) that invoice Bobby Clarke as support for your position.

Cheese cloth thinks your position is thin.

10. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Harpers Hair: Because Chiarelli traded Hall for pennies on the dollar doesn’t obviate the concept.

The Dys are really thin on D.

I agree with you that Boeser or Pettersson for a shut how LHD to replace Ancient Eldler is the best course of action.

11. hunter1909 says:

Material Elvis: I don’t think RNH’s perceived value is very high around the league.

For a former 1st overall pick RNH has semi-turned into that broken down tractor the farmer still thinks is shiny and new. Only the Oilers and their bitch-slapped fans still see him like a hotshot pre-injury rookie with Datsyuk-like potential.

A smart GM offers him $5 million to sign a new contract. A dumb one might offer him even more than $6 million then live to regret it.

12. blainer says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Trading Drai or McDavid is madness.

It’s like the last 12 years never happened and no one learned a thing.

Get good players, keep good players.

If you want to achieve mediocrity fill your boots.

I’d start with “don’t surround them with shitty players”

I do not, at any point, trade my best players for not best players.

I think most people are not trading either of these players.

But… what do you do when CMD and or Drai come to you and Demand a trade out of this mess?

Just curios as I really do think it is coming.

13. JimmyV1965 says:

jtblack:
    There is trade after trade of mid level to star level players being moved ….

Moving a Top Player is NOT a bad move in and of itself.Not getting a player(s) of equal value is the what doesn’t work for any franchise. Pete was good at that. Got fleeced.

PLAYERS that have been traded ……

J THORNTON
    JT MILLER
    BRAUN
    TROUBA
    STONE
    GRANLUND
    NYQVIST

That is just some of the names that have been moved.a good GM isn’t afraid to move a Good Player if they feel that it will improve their roster ….

You build a team through 3 main ways.

1) Draft and Develop
    2) Free Agent Signings
    3) Trades

that’s it.If a GM isn’t willing to make any meaningful trades, they better hope they have one Hell of a Scouting Staff …

14. hunter1909 says:

Hilarious: Oilers need cap space to resign some of the players who shit the bed last night. This feels like everyone’s back to the days when the Oilers fan experience was like a Sam Raimi movie.

15. jtblack says:

JimmyV1965: Totally agree with this. However, you want to be the team getting the good player, not trading the good player. Also, I don’t think free agents help teams. Most of the time, the only good signings are the short term, low salary deals. Free agency has killed many teams. Also, the Oilers have sucked at drafting, trading and free agency. The golden trifecta of garbage.

Every GM has to tread lightly with FA’s. I actually think as long as you avoid the Top of the Heap, Free Agents can be great adds. GM has to be very particular about age, production, term … Brett Connolly was a perfect example this season. Fairly safe and very useful adddition …

16. jtblack says:

Joe Sakic on signing FA Pierre Bellemare

“”He’s a fourth-line center, one of the better fourth-line centers out there,” Avalanche general manager Joe Sakic said. “He’s going to help with the penalty kill and is great on face-offs. He’s a really reliable defensive player and an elite penalty-killer.””

2 years @ $1.8 Mil per …. safe addition. Maybe Ken can add a good bottom six player next year 🙂

17. hunter1909 says:

Oh boy. Just reading HF Boards they’re saying: “Draisaitl’s the problem”.

Beam me up Scotty!

18. geowal says:

Well that sucked. Must say everything about Sweden-Finland was more enjoyable than that, venues included, them the breaks. Hope Canada shows better against Germany.
    I honestly am still not sure if the Russian goalie is any good. Player of the game sure, but wasn’t really tested.

19. Cassandra says:

A good general manager should be able to acquire and stock NHL quality depth at forward.

Toronto are down three forwards and even still have multiple players on their AHL team good enough to play for the Oilers. Do you think Alex Chiasson could make the Leafs? Not a chance.

If you are scoring at home that means the Leafs 16th best forward is good enough to play on the Oilers.

Now Dubas is the best general manager in the league, but that is where the bar is set.

20. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Hebig sent down from BAK to Wichita to make room.

21. ArmchairGM says:

geowal:

Time for Byfield to step up.

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

jtblack,

J THORNTON – BOS got killed
    SEGUIN – BOS got killed
    HALL – EDM got killed
    E. JOHNSON – COL won long term, its close
    SHATTENKIRK – See above
    WEBER – MTL won this, traded away a very good player
    PK SUBBAN (twice) – NSH lost this, but also lost some of a looming cap recapture that would cripple them
    JOHANSEN – He belongs on this list?
    S. JONES – CBJ won this trade. Johansen is like a slightly better version of RNH
    DROUIN – he was 3rd line at the time
    SERGACHEV – he was third pairing at the time
    HENRIQUE – Doesn’t belong on this list
    VATANEN – Neither does he
    BARRIE – Gone for a 2C, good trade for both teams imo
    KADRI – see above
    SHAW – C’mon
    GALCHENYUK – See above
    KESSEL (twice) – PP demon, 5v5 drag
    BURAKOVSKY – No room at the inn in WSH, COL owned this. Was bottom 6 on WSH
    JT MILLER – TBY has offensive talent falling out the asshole and got a good price
    BRAUN – who?
    TROUBA – NYR win this going away if they didn’t overpay him
    STONE – VGK destroy this trade.
    GRANLUND – I wish EDM traded with MIN when Fenton was there
    NYQVIST – ?

So which of these trades do you want EDM to emulate?

23. jtblack says:

WG has shown this before. But basically since 2010 the Edmonton OIlers Franchise has not been able to ice a competitive hockey team when their STAR player goes for a drink of water.

The HALL off ; MCD off are abysmal.

The only year the “off” numbers were respectable, the Oilers made the playoffs.

This isn’t rocket science. It’s also not easy. BUT there is no mystery for Holland. Simply to start to sign and keep NHL caliber players. Connor has already shown he will do his part. He will win his GF% against the best the world has to offer. Come on Ken. Find us some players.

24. jtblack says:

Woodguy v2.0,

My point is that every team at the top of the standings has traded a piece that is considered GOOD.

Vatanen for Henrique ; why doesn’t it belong?

Anyway. I just believe that you can make trades and enhance your roster. You run the risk of the losing the trade as always, but that is the chance you have to take if you want to improve your roster or change your roster composition.

Edmonton GM’s have not shown well in the trade department in the last decade. But other GM’s have.

Draft & develop is the main step.

But then Holland needs to sign some reasonable FA’s and look at a hockey trade or two.

25. workaroundaccount says:

I’ll be honest, I haven’t been following much this year. Watched a couple games, and have vaguely followed the standings. Mostly I’ve taken to doing what I do with the NFL, and just watch games between good teams. I just couldn’t handle how this franchise is run anymore. That said, I had some time from christmas, so this is me checking up for the first time since the draft. First off, kudos to LT, as the issues with the site seem to be resolved.

Second, it blows my mind that Woodguy had to go off on trading talent again. Trading long term success to barely make the playoffs is idiotic. No matter what position this team trades, they make a giant hole there. Think about trading horcoff (who we are still trying to replace), or gagner. Maybe they didn’t fit 2nd line C roles, but they were a heluva lot better than the dogshit we endured over the next couple years. Every team that is good in this league was built primarily through the draft. It sucks that we are still in year 1 or 2 of the rebuild a dozen years in, but that is where we are. Positive is we have the core group mostly established, and just need a few more complementary pieces. Patience is the only way forward here. We are at least 4 players away without giving anything up off the current roster. Why dig a deeper hole?

26. Scungilli Slushy says:

JimmyV1965: If you have to trade a decent player, the only two I move are Larsson and Nuge. Both likely won’t resign in 18 months and both would bring in good players.

Assuming health, Larsson is also going to get paid less than Nurse or Klef, so is more cap efficient, the points are going to come from Bouchard and possibly Bear as he settles.

Bear is probably going to pass Nurse next season in terms of quality overall. At least for what matters in the game at the moment, puck movement.

Larsson also won’t bring the same return as Klef or Nurse.

I don’t want to trade any good player, but as it stands there aren’t a lot of valuable chips on the table. Especially if the 2020 first is off the table as it should be.

27. jtblack says:

Woodguy v2.0,

BURAKOVSKY – No room at the inn in WSH, COL owned this. Was bottom 6 on WSH
    GRANLUND – I wish EDM traded with MIN when Fenton was there
    STONE – VGK destroy this trade.

any of these 3.

All that I am saying is that there is value to be found all over the League. Finding it is hard, but that is the job of the GM and his team.

It’s a great trade, when hindsight we say “he was bottom 6 on that team”. Exactly. So Edm should look at deep teams like

BOS
    ST.L
    TAMPA
    WASH
    VGS
    COL
    CAR
    WPG

look for guys that are playing 3rd line or getting limited opp and see if you can find a player …

honestly, I would try and pull NIshushkin out of COL next yr …. Ken made a bunch of low risk bets this year …

next year he should make more, but aim higher on the upside …

28. tileguy says:

hunter1909:
    Oh boy. Just reading HF Boards they’re saying: “Draisaitl’s the problem”.

Beam me up Scotty!

Maybe they meant to say Drai has been the problem this December.

29. JimmyV1965 says:

workaroundaccount:

We are two players away from icing a competitive roster.

30. JimmyV1965 says:

Scungilli Slushy: The thing is Larsson is the best defender they have. Bear is good, but rookie wobbles have arrived. Benning is injury prone, Bouchard will be green, the other options are lefties playing right or using Russell who isn’t good right side and is a limited player at the best of times.

Larsson also won’t bring the same return as Klef or Nurse.

31. geowal says:

Scungilli Slushy: I haven’t thought through the expansion draft consequences, but at the end of the day it’s one player, and it may be possible to give up a pick to protect someone.

While I don’t want to trade any expansion ineligibles like this 1st round and Lavoie, etc, I’m of the opinion that worrying over losing a player is useless. You’re guaranteed to lose someone. Giving up 2 players to avoid losing one is silly, and Vegas proved that to their advantage. Everybody loses one. If a GM is that stressed about losing your 10th best player you should take it as an indictment of your terrible depth and move on.

32. geowal says:

ArmchairGM: Time for Byfield to step up.

Time for someone to cover forwards more or less alone in front of the net. Shots at the net would also be nice though.

33. Scungilli Slushy says:

jtblack:
    hunter1909,

“The only way to build a cup winner is through the draft.”

Who won the Cup last year?St. Loius. Conn Smythe winner Ryan O’reilly came via trade. David Perron via trade. Bozak via trade.Schenn- trade. Steen – trade.

Every team drafts players.Every team gets to develop them. Some teams are better than others.

Trades is where a GM can bolster their roster.

Pittsburgh has made a lot of trades. Boston’s captain is from a trade.

I think Edmonton has been burned so badly in the trade department since 2009 ish; that our fan base is against trades … but most good teams still try and utilize trades to better their roster …

Pittsburgh is the best team of the last decade. They have a small core. The traded a lot of talent. But they plug holes and shake things up. Sather also used to shake things up.

Trading good player is not the only way to get a top 6 winger. But given the options available it might be the thing.

If the pipeline was short on D trading a good one would be bad. But there is available help as seasoned as Bear.

This is different than trading Petry bcs he was really good and was traded for nothing out of something to do with other than winning hockey games.

34. drglen says:

Woodguy v2.0,

good list!

35. drglen says:

The other teams have figured out how to beat the oilers. What we had worked for a while. In a word, pressure. The fatal flaw.. slow defensive coverage, somewhat lazy backchecking, shaky goaltending, not great passer to begin with. Full court press they must have figured out connor and leon’s ‘patterns’….. how they like to break out.

Surely other GMs see our predicament… phone will be ringing for a number of our players, and we should sell. imo

36. Harpers Hair says:

Woodguy v2.0: The Dys are really thin on D.

I agree with you thatBoeser or Pettersson for a shut how LHD to replace Ancient Eldler is the best course of action.

This is nonsense.

With Rafferty on the way, they have too many RHD and will likely trade Tanev or Stecher at the deadline if not in the playoffs.

Edler has been fine and has two more years to run on his contract.

Quinn Hughes is the goods and then some.

Oskar Fantenberg has been so good they’re healthy scratching Jordie Benn.

37. Darth Tu says:

Can we buy low on Vasilevskiy? He’s rocking a .908 save percentage on the year and has zero shutouts. Montreal have scored already so that run is going to continue.

My tongue is firmly planted in cheek here, but wow, for a player that I drafted rather high in fantasy he’s really shitting the bed. What’s the story in Tampa this year?

38. workaroundaccount says:

JimmyV1965: We are two players away from icing a competitive roster.

Competitive vs. good. I want to be the Bruins, not the Wild

39. Scungilli Slushy says:

jtblack:
    There is trade after trade of mid level to star level players being moved ….

PLAYERS that have been traded ……

J THORNTON
    JT MILLER
    BRAUN
    TROUBA
    STONE
    GRANLUND
    NYQVIST

You build a team through 3 main ways.

1) Draft and Develop
    2) Free Agent Signings
    3) Trades

I’d put UFA at the bottom of the list. Mid level signings an be helpful, whale hunting is almost always a foot shot.

40. JimmyV1965 says:

Someone made this comment before the start of the game last night and it really resonated with me. Not sure who it was.

“Doesnt it feel like either we get lucky tonight….or we get stomped ? I just dont see a scenario where we simply outplay them and win.”

41. teddyturnbuckle says:

Oilers sitting in 11th place today in West if games played factored in. They are not in a good spot anymore. They are in the cellar and will have to claw their way back from the dead.

42. Scungilli Slushy says:

JimmyV1965: I don’t want to trade Larsson, but I would rather trade him than see him walk, and right now there’s no reason for him to stay.

You can’t use free agent to find your way as a player to a Cup. It’s not predictable enough.

43. Scungilli Slushy says:

Harpers Hair: This is nonsense.

Edler has been fine and has two more years to run on his contract.

Quinn Hughes is the goods and then some.

Oskar Fantenberg hasbeen so good they’re healthy scratching Jordie Benn.

Mr Harper you have the inglorious honour of wearing the rose coloured glasses of many teams, most of the rest here just one.

Walk strong helmet head.

44. teddyturnbuckle says:

Oilers will have to go 23 wins 14 losses 4 ties to have a prayer at making playoffs. That gives them 94 points. Not a chance they can do this. Holland knows this and will be a seller at the deadline. Can we at least get some assets this year at the deadline for a change? How can we improve if the team doesn’t except its fate?

45. Harpers Hair says:

teddyturnbuckle:
    Oilers will have to go 23 wins 14 losses 4 ties to have a prayer at making playoffs.That gives them 94 points. Not a chance they can do this.Holland knows this and will be a seller at the deadline.Can we at least get some assets this year at the deadline for a change?How can we improve if the team doesn’t except its fate?

Sell what?

The cupboard is bare.

46. Wilde says:

Just want to clear up the Utica stuff because I see it keeps coming up over and over again:

This Comets team is one of a couple teams per year that randomly end up with what are blatantly NHL-quality players that are pushed out due to differences in view of management and coaching staffs, surprise rookie situations, contract stuff, etc; and the result here is that you’ve got obviously serviceable depth skill guys like Goldobin, Baerschi and Boucher patrolling lines and PP1 units where they’re going to obviously zoom everything everywhere.

Here’s an example: TJ Tynan, Brandon Pirri and Daniel Carr played full seasons for the Chicago Wolves last year, and as a result there was a rookie AHL Dman, overage RHD signing out of the WHL, named Dylan Coghlan, who put up 40 pts in his rookie season as a Feb birthday 20-year-old.

Even just a cursory look at these things dispels their use (basically as totems) by busybody dilettantes who would, if they were a serious person, frontload their argument with a basic counting of the bare minimum context and make their case for why it is /even though/ there’s possible inflating factors at play, there’s some value to be found beyond them

47. ArmchairGM says:

Darth Tu:

48. Wilde says:

I didn’t want to be the literal first person to do even a little bit of the work, but it just so happens that when people just are lazily trading back and forth you can end up with a conversation, that started weeks ago, progress at a mind-numbingly slow pace because the Allure of the Post is just too strong, I guess

49. Scungilli Slushy says:

On a less costly acquisition note, Kreider would be a nice fit with Nuge. Big, fast and psycho, more of a scorer than playmaker. Surely not a great scorer, but leans that way. Gets in the paint hard.

Signed with limited protection I think a good fit. Shouldn’t cost Nurse etc. JP too much bcs age straight up, but perhaps in a larger deal.

50. Scungilli Slushy says:

ArmchairGM: It won’t happen during the season, but Holtby’s numbers have been around league average (or below) this year and the past 2 seasons. He’s no longer an elite goalie, but I think that’s partly due to minutes played… he could be a great 1A for next year if the price is reasonable.

Someone will pay him bcs rep. Certainly at 1-2M.

51. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: Sell what?

The cupboard is bare.

You’re ridiculous
    You post Pronmans rankings so you clearly know that the he had them rated top 10 and they won’t be graduating any of the top 12 prospects

52. Scungilli Slushy says:

Darth Tu:

If not for the cap killer 9.5M 8 year extension. Why would they retain enough? If so sure.

53. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: You’re ridiculous

What do you think you could get for anyone AT THE DEADLINE?

Seriously. Thats not when contenders stock up with prospects.

The only pieces of value that I could see returning anything at the deadline are Kassian, Nuge and Nurse.

Wanna trade them?

54. nelson88 says:

Zibanejad is a beast. Great trade by the rangers

55. Glovjuice says:

This team is in this predicament due to getting NOTHING for 16, 33, Yakapov, Eberle, and Pulujarvi.

56. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair,

Devils wanted Broberg for Hall. Holland said no.
    Contenders don’t trade players at the deadline. So don’t know what your talking about
    But Canucks troll knows best

57. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer:
    Harpers Hair,

Devils wanted Broberg for Hall.Holland said no.
    Contenders don’t trade players at the deadline.So don’t know what your talking about
    But Canucks troll knows best

Exactly.

The Oilers have nothing to sell at the deadline that will return anything of value unless they dip into the roster.

The return would be an absolute waste of time unless Ken puts on his big boy pants and commits to restructuring the core.

His history suggests he will sit on his hands.

58. Scungilli Slushy says:

Glovjuice:

Perfect.

Hard trades in the summer turn the table quickly and leave future hope.

Holland has to trade hard. And smart. It’s obvious that the balance leaves us photoless.

59. Scungilli Slushy says:

Harpers Hair: Exactly.

His history suggests he will sit on his hands.

Picks are neutral trading chips. Amass them. When you need to make trades

60. Harpers Hair says:

Scungilli Slushy: Deadline deals as you said aren’t for contracted players. Any expiring contracts outside of who they want to retain should go for something, hopefully picks.

Picks are neutral trading chips. Amass them. When you need to make trades

Yep.

So, if you made trades at the deadline, who would you move?

61. JimmyV1965 says:

Scungilli Slushy: I don’t think players are as bitter as we fans. The ones who walk want money more than anything. I don’t want players like that. Culture killers IMO.

I think you could argue players are likely more bitter than fans. They live this crap much more intensely than we do. Nothing to do with money. They’re the ones who have to put on a happy face during interviews and deliver the same old message about working harder, all the while knowing they simply aren’t good enough. They go to the rink every day knowing they don’t have the horses to win. I would be pissed if I was a player.

62. JimmyV1965 says:

Wilde:

63. Pescador says:

godot10:

i.e. Did OP survive yesterday’s travesty?

He did not, Verdud called him a “mindless apologist”
    OP said that he wouldn’t contribute to a blog that allowed him to be called names. (teacher didn’t step in, so he quit)
    Which is strange to me because he has been called far worse.
    Now if Verdud had called him: thin skinned….

64. oilersfan says:

So this may be a dumb question… but if all the best 2018,2019 and 2020 drafted and drAft eligible players from Canada lose 6-0 to Russia, howcome all those players on the Russian team aren’t getting drafted too?? At least in the later rounds??!

65. Harpers Hair says:

oilersfan:

Podkolizin was drafted in the first round by the Canucks.

I expect they got a steal.

66. Harpers Hair says:

So there’s good news and bad news in the out of town scoreboard.

The Predators lost in regulation but Dallas beat Colorado in a shootout meaning two points for Dallas and one for Colorado.

The wild card may soon become a distant bell.

67. drglen says:

Harpers Hair: Exactly.

His history suggests he will sit on his hands.

That’s what i’m thinking, .. the core.. (except Mac and Drai) is up for trade now. That inluces Nuge, Klef, Nurse, Larsson… please also move Russell.. Zak, Keep Haas and Nygaard they are so cheap and still useful. All these other veteran defensively responsible players.. please dispose/not renew. I’ve gone full nuclear here. Partly because the team is unwatchable.. but also if Ken is a ‘build from the draft/propects’.. .. then let him do it with a clean slate.

I feel like the GM and friends are hiding out and starting to feel like Holland just says what he thinks appeases the masses… like when he said “we care about winning’… apparently he cares about losing. and maybe that’s the play. Maybe he’s falling on a sword and working to get us in the draft lottery. Blah… .. not happy oilers fan. I just don’t think you can give anybody except a top 10 NHL player, a contract over two years and 2.5 million dollars anymore. it just closes the door on your team. Earn your money Mr. Holland. ( maybe he is at this moment)

68. jtblack says:

Ryan Strome 35 pts now. RHC. 26 yrs old.

Not sure why he didnt fit in here or produce But jes certainly thriving in NYC.

69. Wilde says:

JimmyV1965: I wouldn’t even waste my breath. HH is either trolling, delusional or not smart enough to figure it out. He certainly won’t change his publically stated opinion.

It’s also a broader point that stands on its own merits wrt AHL all-sit point totals which have plenty more than one practitioner

(In general the amount of people here who I’m trying to change their mind by talking to them is probably two or three, typically just posting for the group, otherwise I wouldn’t be as aggressive rhetorically)

70. Harpers Hair says:

Wilde: I just wanted to hurry a recurring part of the conversation along, because it kept resetting on stuff that wasn’t even really an argument, like I said, just a totem.

You may want to dig a little deeper and see who is zooming who.

71. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair,

Remember when I called Zibanejad a pisscutter this last offseason and you scoffed.
    Oh fun times

72. yeraslob says:

Again with the lawyer threats. This guy’s got no life, lol.

73. Scungilli Slushy says:

Harpers Hair: Yep.

So, if you made trades at the deadline, who would you move?

I think Haas has too much utility to move at this point.

Any other expiring contract, not Connor or Leo.

No other player on the roster is a keeper, at the right price. Loyalty should be based on play, not character or being liked, in pro sports which has a very short career window, and doesn’t involve personal relationships as a foundation of the job like a salesperson perhaps.

Making trades isn’t a bad thing. Losing and losing trades is. At least too much losing trades is.

I have one timeout of a long time poster and don’t wish to have it continue, so I’ll repeat what I have said in the past. DO NOT make personal comments about other posters, putdowns are not allowed. It is NOT okay to do it and I have to time you out if you do.

Please understand that you are free to start your own blog where you can say whatever you want about people. But not here.

Thanks.

75. Harpers Hair says:

Scungilli Slushy: I think Haas has too much utility to move at this point.

Any other expiring contract, not Connor or Leo.

Agree with all of this but not sure what the return would be at the deadline.

Nuge ?

76. teddyturnbuckle says:

Ryan strome is killing it this year. Guess playing with Looch and Jesse P wasn’t doing it for him in Edmonton lol.

77. Darth Tu says:

Purely for fan reasons I’d love Holtby in town. Sterling gent, I met him in Lloydminster – he was at a venue where I was playing a gig.

Apart from that, it’s all down to cost. He’s a prairie boy, so probably not completely against playing in Alberta.

78. norm_klassen says:

Trading Nuge for futures no matter what you think of the team says where 2 years away from being 2 years away.
    A 5 game winning steak and the teams back in business? At the end of the day Holland is going to put his stamp on this team; he hasn’t been here 25 years; I dont beleive he keeps the team the way it s constructed now

79. Harpers Hair says:

Kevin Bieksa should be a regular HNIC panelist.

Quality.

Harpers Hair:
    Kevin Bieksa should be a regular HNIC panelist.

Quality.

I would never have guessed he was so well spoken based on his playing career. Can’t judge a book by its cover. Agree, he is excellent. I think Burke gets the Cherry job but Bieksa is rising.

norm_klassen:

I think he’ll set up the summer at the deadline, and try to acquire a piece or two. He made two deadline deals (both sell) at the 2019 deadline.

Condors up 3-2 after two, Currie with a goal and a fight, Skinner some nice stops, Benson and Yamamoto with apples. A recall is on the line, looks like several are submitting their resumes.

83. Scungilli Slushy says:

Harpers Hair: Agree with all of this but not sure what the return would be at the deadline.

Nuge ?

More any of the expiring contract players that anyone wants, if any. Or obvious salary dumps but that isn’t the norm at the deadline.

I think some might be of interest. Gagner is a skill player who could help a team lacking that, and also boost a PP. Depends on what is being looked for etc.

84. jtblack says:

For those that follow WHL, 15 yr old Matthew Savioe took a clean, open ice hit – Knocked unconscious. Got up and left game.

85. jtblack says:

Scungilli Slushy: I don’t think Nuge given the contract is a deadline deal. I don’t necessarily want to trade any good player, but improvement beckons.

Not sure why you would trade RNH. He is 1 of 3 players on the roster who can play Top 6. He just needs NHL wingers.

86. jtblack says:

RAANTA 4 Goals on 16 shots

Will be interesting to see if AZ can win without Kemper

87. Harpers Hair says:

At some point, we need to figure out the Kings.

They outshoot everyone but lose anyway.

What’s the deal ?

88. Harpers Hair says:

jtblack: Not sure why you would trade RNH.He is 1 of 3 players on the roster who can play Top 6. He just needs NHL wingers.

So how do you get those wingers?

Harpers Hair:
    At some point, we need to figure out the Kings.

They outshoot everyone but lose anyway.

What’s the deal ?

Save percentage .889, that is a factor. 965 PDO too.

90. Ben says:

The Oilers need to trade Draisaitl to get some wingers to play with McDavid. They should simultaneously trade McDavid to get wingers who can play with Draisaitl.

It’s the Trade of the Magi.

91. Darth Tu says:

Harpers Hair:
    At some point, we need to figure out the Kings.

They outshoot everyone but lose anyway.

What’s the deal ?

Proviso – this is my eye test.

92. Harpers Hair says:

Lowetide: Save percentage .889, that is a factor. 965 PDO too.

Yeah but…why are those things true.

On the surface they have decent goaltending and scoring but it just never works.

They’re currently outshooting the Canucks 44-24 and losing 3-2.

Something else going on here.

93. Harpers Hair says:

Darth Tu: I initially thought “volume shooters” and “score effects”, but the more games I’ve watched featuring them they do generate quality chances. Definitely not as much of a tire fire as I thought they’d be this year.

Proviso – this is my eye test.

You’re not wrong…I cant figure it out.

94. McSorley33 says:

JimmyV1965: We are two players away from icing a competitive roster.

I would pay money to see what you see when McDavid is on the bench.

Chaser
    Sheahan
    Gagner
    Archibald
    JJ
    Granlund
    Nygard
    Haas

Almost all would certainly clear waivers.

Two players…..wow.

95. McSorley33 says:

Harpers Hair: Sell what?

The cupboard is bare.

Teams are always adding glue guys and PK and Faceoff specialists at the deadline.

Kassian has rental value

96. Harpers Hair says:

McSorley33: I would pay money to see what you see when McDavid is on the bench.

Chaser
    Sheahan
    Gagner
    Archibald
    JJ
    Granlund
    Nygard
    Haas

Almost all would certainly clear waivers.

Two players…..wow.

Six players minimum.

97. Sierra says:

JimmyV1965: I think you could argue players are likely more bitter than fans. They live this crap much more intensely than we do. Nothing to do with money. They’re the ones who have to put on a happy face during interviews and deliver the same old message about working harder, all the while knowing they simply aren’t good enough.They go to the rink every day knowing they don’t have the horses to win. I would be pissed if I was a player.

I was going to respond with the same thoughts, but I will just +1 your post.

If good players choose to leave it’s likely because they want to be somewhere they feel they have a better chance of winning.

98. Sierra says:

Harpers Hair: Yeah but…why are those things true.

On the surfacethey have decent goaltending and scoring but it just never works.

They’re currently outshooting the Canucks 44-24 and losing 3-2.

Something else going on here.

Lack of goal scoring skill?

Luck?

99. Harpers Hair says:

Kings with 51 shots on goal and lose.
    Seriously?

100. Harpers Hair says:

Sierra: Lack of goal scoring skill?

Luck?

I have no idea.

They should score more based on their roster…but they don’t.

101. Oz says:

Condors game tonight was a beauty. Little bit of everything, mostly passion.
    I have been critical of K Lowe, in particular his skating and clearing attempts, but tonight he was moving the puck well, but for two bad penalties that he took. Benson and Marody passed and created opportunities … either one would be a good call up, preferably both. Day played an excellent game, could he have potential as a winger?. I like Lagesson ‘s game, he positions himself well and has an edge to his game. Yamamoto was all over the opposition, but I don’t think his game transfers to the NHL yet (size/weight) , but he certainly meshes well with his linemates. Skinner was solid, but so was the team in front of him. One more forward who stood out was Currie. Bouchard is so “Coffey Like” it is unreal, hope he turns out just as good.
    Wilde I look forward to your review of the game, as yours is by the numbers, mine by the eye ( by the way, did I mention I was blind in one, and cannot see out of the other 😎)

102. JimmyV1965 says:

McSorley33: I would pay money to see what you see when McDavid is on the bench.

Chaser
    Sheahan
    Gagner
    Archibald
    JJ
    Granlund
    Nygard
    Haas

Almost all would certainly clear waivers.

Two players…..wow.

Most teams are not loaded with top six players. If we get two, that gives us five. Not great, but definitely in the range of other good teams.

Nygaard-McDavid-Kassian
    New guy-Drai-New guy
    Benson-RNH-Neil
    Archibald-Sheahan-Khaira

This isn’t a world beating roster, but it’s good. It’s competitive. It allows you to introduce a young player like Benson in a position where he can succeed; on the third line with a good centre playing weaker competition.

It allows you to slot players like Sheahan and Archibald into positions more suitable to their skill level. Maybe you keep Haas or Chiasson in the lineup, but if they remain, it’s at the bottom of the lineup.

We are not that far away, despite the horrible results from December. This team is bad because they don’t have enuf top six players.

103. Harpers Hair says:

Jimmy:

So how, exactly. do you acquire two top six wingers?

Be specific and bear in mind the Oilers have zero cap space.

104. jtblack says:

Harpers Hair:
    So how, exactly. do you acquire two top six wingers?

Be specific and bear in mind the Oilers have zero cap space.

GAGNER $3.15
    MANNING $2.25

Have to trade RUSSELL @ $4 MIL (Thanks Pete!)

aint pretty but should.open up some room eve with Kassian anf Nurse sigjings

105. Harpers Hair says:

jtblack: GAGNER $3.15
    MANNING $2.25

Have to trade RUSSELL @ $4 MIL (Thanks Pete!)

aint pretty but should.open up some room evewith Kassian anf Nurse sigjings

If you re-sign Nurse and Kassian that cap room is gone.

Russel aint going anywhere.

106. JimmyV1965 says:

Harpers Hair:
    Jimmy:

So how, exactly. do you acquire two top six wingers?

Be specific and bear in mind the Oilers have zero cap space.

How did the Canucks get Miller? I’m sure it’s possible to do the same thing. Unfortunately, it likely has to wait until the offseason. There’s always top six wingers available every year.

And just because you say we can’t trade Russell doesn’t make it so. He’s a useful dman with one year left on his contract. Far worse players have been moved and his NTC clause expands to 15 teams next year.

If Kassian doesn’t sign for a reasonable contract, trade him at the deadline and use those assets to for his replacement.

We need two players. It ain’t rocket science.

107. workaroundaccount says:

JimmyV1965: Most teams are not loaded with top six players. If we get two, that gives us five.Not great, but definitely in the range of other good teams.

Nygaard-McDavid-Kassian
    New guy-Drai-New guy
    Benson-RNH-Neil
    Archibald-Sheahan-Khaira

This isn’t a world beating roster, but it’s good. It’s competitive.It allows you to introduce a young player like Benson in a position where he can succeed; on the third line with a good centre playing weaker competition.

We are not that far away, despite the horrible results from December.This team is bad because they don’t have enuf top six players.

Bergeron

Kuznetzov
    Ovechkin
    Vrana
    Oshie
    WIlson
    Alll 40 pt pace or better

Good teams don’t ice 2 goal scorers in thier top 6 forwards. I wouldn’t bank on Kassian keeping his pace next season, and James Neal is probably in the same boat. Do with the information what you will.

108. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Harpers Hair,

Russell becomes an eminently tradeable piece after July 1, 2020 when his NTC list goes from 10 to 15 teams, and his salary goes down to $1.5M.

109. JimmyV1965 says:

workaroundaccount: Top 5 teams in the league are Washinton, St. Louis, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Colorado. These are their top 6 depth charts.

Bergeron

Kuznetzov
    Ovechkin
    Vrana
    Oshie
    WIlson
    Alll 40 pt pace or better

If we add two forwards to Drai, McDavid and RNH, our top six will look similar to all these teams and these are amongst the best in the league. I didn’t say two players would make us the best in the league. I said it would make us competitive.

110. HT Joe says:

Pescador: He did not, Verdud called him a “mindless apologist”

Wait, so we traded OP for Verdad? That’s like the Reinhart-trade equivalent for blogs…

111. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Glovjuice:

Yes losing 4 first round draft picks in 9 years has a significant impact on a rebuild

112. ArmchairGM says:

Scungilli Slushy: Someone will pay him bcs rep. Certainly at 1-2M.

I would go a bit higher than that even, but not for more than 3 years. I don’t think any of the goalie prospects will be ready before Koskinen’s contract is up… unless Starrett is, and we *should* know that by next summer.

113. YKOil says:

A new goalie is a priority.

I never called for the play-offs so, for me:

– finding out that Haas, Nygard and one/of Archibald/Russell (P) is worth keeping
    – finding out that Bear is a player and that Jones is on the cusp
    – finding out that Koskinen is a good 1a
    – further developing Yamamoto and Benson
    – getting something out of Neal
    – burning through another year of Russell’s (K) contract plus Gagner’s and Manning’s contract

all serve to make this an okay year. Great? No. But a good step forward.

Kassian at $2.5 for 3 years is something I could live with. I see, however, where this will end up at $3.0 for 4 years and that will bother me a bit.

Nurse will probably be wanting $6m and a bit and will probably get that on a 6+ year deal and that will bug me (I prefer $5 and a bit over 5).

I do believe we are getting closer to needed to trade someone like Nurse in order to make a trade for an impact winger. I also believe there is at least one good FA pick up and that will help the team a LOT when it does come about.

114. geowal says:

Made the impromptu decision to go see Kazakh-Finland game in Trinec instead of touring metro Ostrava today. Not expecting a close one obviously, but for less than $10 cad per ticket for row 5 centre ice (purchased today, looks like some reserved blocks were released), the bar to get fair entertainment value is easy to achieve. Plus the burgers there are delicious.

I wish I had some time to know a bit more about Finland’s roster and who to look for, but I’ll figure it out. Or if any early risers know who to look for! Might see some pretty goals!

geowal:

I wish I had some time to know a bit more about Finland’s roster and who to look for, but I’ll figure it out. Might see some pretty goals!

116. geowal says:

Lowetide: I would have done the same thing. Winnipeg’s blue Heinola will be noticeable. Here’s a good preview:

Thanks! Just pulled up.

117. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

YKOil:
    A new goalie is a priority.

I never called for the play-offs so, for me:

– finding out that Bear is a player and that Jones is on the cusp
    – finding out that Koskinen is a good 1a
    – further developing Yamamoto and Benson
    – getting something out of Neal

all serve to make this an okay year.Great?No. But a good step forward.

Kassian at $2.5 for 3 years is something I could live with.I see, however, where this will end up at $3.0 for 4 years and that will bother me a bit.

I do believe we are getting closer to needed to trade someone like Nurse in order to make a trade for an impact winger.I also believe there is at least one good FA pick up and that will help the team a LOT when it does come about.

Pragmatic. Reasonable. Agreeable.

118. CallighenMan says:

Lowetide: Trade a King because management can’t find sixes and sevens? No. Nyet. Nein!

He’s just playing the role of Canuckleheads fan trying to foment dissent and rebellion in the masses. Usual schtick. We should really all just ignore him (I know sometimes I just can’t! ;-(

119. CallighenMan says:

Harpers Hair: Don’t think Canucks fans would care one way or another.

Then why don’t you get lost? Your drivel is tiresome.

« Older Comments