Filip Berglund in Goodbye Again

The Edmonton Oilers are making decisions way up and down the line of the prospect pool these days. On Saturday, the team signed Raphael Lavoie and at some point in recent days may have made the decision to pass on signing defenceman Filip Berglund.

What does that mean? Lavoie is probable for Bakersfield in the fall and Ken Holland has a defenseman he likes more than Berglund. Unless Berglund’s contract contains an out clause that allows him to sign with Edmonton, the die is cast.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, check it out here.

• New Lowetide: Oilers get good news from the farm as second-half performances spike
  • Lowetide: Should Oilers prospect Philip Broberg play in North America next year?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis: Which former Oiler has the best argument to have his jersey number retired?
  • Lowetide: Which Oilers veterans are in roster peril?
  • Jonathan Willis: How good is Anton Slepyshev and what will an NHL return mean for the Oilers?
  • Jonathan Willis: Peter Chiarelli wants to be a GM again. Has he learned from his Oilers mistakes?
  • New Lowetide: Oilers’ challenge could be finding relief with a low cap ceiling
  • Lowetide: Projecting Oilers prospects Raphael Lavoie and Kirill Maksimov
  • Lowetide: What does Jesse Puljujarvi’s Liiga season tell us about his future?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How Oilers plan to help arena workers unclear with games postponed
  • Lowetide: NHL season on hold might impact Oilers evaluations, summer plans
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis: Key questions surround Oilers in wake of NHL’s coronavirus suspension
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: GM Ken Holland on Oilers’ playoff push, offseason plans and Hart thoughts
  • Jonathan Willis: Evan Bouchard, Tyler Benson and more: 20 observations on the Bakersfield Condors
  • Lowetide: Caleb Jones represents Oilers template for development success
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Determining Connor McDavid’s linemates remains a pressing and perplexing problem
  • Jonathan Willis: Which players pose the biggest threat to Leon Draisaitl winning the Hart Trophy?
  • Lowetide: Is the OHL still the Oilers’ primary resource at the draft?

50-MAN LIST (40)

If you look at the defense today, and assume Ryan Mantha won’t return, Edmonton has 12 men signed or RFA at this time. Even if the club signs Mike Green in free agency, the AHL club will need four more blue. That assumes Broberg comes over and there are no assurances.

No. I think the Berglund news tells us the organization is pleased with Bear and Bouchard for the NHL and have superior options for Bakersfield.

Anything internal? Philip Kemp has one more year of college but could sign. Michael Kesselring completed his first college season at Northeastern, it’s unlikely he’ll sign.

Markus Niemelainen and Graham McPhee are the two men who must be signed this summer or Edmonton will lose their rights (along with Berglund).

Among the players on the Oilers reserve list, I think Anton Slepyshev is the most likely to be signed. That’s based on several reports (believe Matty was the first) over the last few months.

THE 2016 DRAFT

As you may know, I’m a believer in draft clusters. A two-or three year run can build a dynasty or pretty near, with the 1972-74 Islanders, 1979-81 Oilers and 1989-91 Red Wings being prime examples.

The Edmonton Oilers 2014 draft produced Leon Draisaitl, the 2015 edition Connor McDavid, Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones (plus John Marino). The 2016 draft? Nine picks, including Jesse Puljujarvi at No. 4 overall and Tyler Benson at No. 32 overall, and three picks in the third round that have a good chance to miss (or emerge later with other teams).

To borrow a word from the great philosopher Casey Kasem, the 2016 draft was ponderous. Edmonton badly needed a couple of forwards from that draft and it looks like it might be just Benson.

That 2016 draft needed to be far better. I don’t know how you recover from it, but the Oilers are down a couple of scoring wingers today. I wonder what Ken Holland is thinking about Jesse Puljujarvi today.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun show today, with actual news to talk about and great guests. We begin at 10, TSN1260, with the brilliant Dan O’Toole from TSN joining us at 10:20. We’ll chat entertainment in sports, the Olympics and the power of staring. Jason Gregor pops in at 11 and talks NHL meetings, Olympics and more. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

153 Responses to "Filip Berglund in Goodbye Again"

1. Brantford Boy says:

LT: “I wonder what Ken Holland is thinking about Jesse Puljujarvi today.”

I have to think Holland is thinking… with the year he had overseas is there any GM willing to give me a late first round pick for a player that seems destined to not be an Edmonton Oiler.

2. jp says:

Has there been direct confirmation from the player or organization that Berglund won’t be signed? Him signing with another SHL team is a tell for sure, just wondered if this is ‘official’.

I guess you’re right that Holland sees better options though. I expect it’s likely a Gravel type or 2 may spend a lot of time in Bakersfield next season.

jp:

• v4ance says:

Isn’t Berglund making the decision like Marino by looking at the Oilers depth chart and not seeing a soft entry directly onto the NHL roster?

In 2 years, maybe Larsson and Benning are gone and then maybe there’s a slim chance to woo Berglund over. But then again, he’ll be able to choose from all 32 teams…

4. dessert1111 says:

I wonder if the Oilers offered him something but he preferred to take the sure thing in Sweden?

A bit odd that they wouldn’t have wanted to bring him over on an ELC considering his progression. But they would’ve had a lot of views given he’s on Broberg’s team.

5. defmn says:

Disappointing. I guess we will find out in the coming days whose decision this was – Berglund’s or Holland’s.

6. jtblack says:

“with the 1972-74 Islanders, 1979-81 Oilers and 1989-91 Red Wings being prime examples. ”

other examples. PENS 2004-2006 , HAWKS 2003-2007

it is very hard to nail 2 or 3 drafts in a row. Edmonton had their big chance 2014 – 2016. Although 2015 will always be good, it could have been game changing good. As you alluded, 2016 looks like a miss, with no impact players delivered (don’t see Benson as an impact player).

When teams miss, they just kick the can further down the road … McDavid has played 5 seasons. 1 playoffs and I would add this year as well. So 2 playoffs in 5 years … Let’s hope McDavid and the Oilers are a regular participant in the playoffs over the next 5 years !

7. Oilman99 says:

defmn,

I think its obvious that if the player was not dominating at the SHL level after several years, that he will be a borderline NHL player at best, time to move on.

Berglund probably decided that he wanted to have the NHL team of his choice. He has waited this long. Play a year or two more in Sweden and then pick your NHL team based on opportunity with little to no time spent in the AHL.

Playing in the SHL and then having your choice of 31 teams seems pretty logical

9. defmn says:

Oilman99:
    defmn,

I would be surprised if this was the Oilers choice. I think it far more likely that Berglund made this decision.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

I was listening on the Lowetide this morning when Al and Tyler were discussing the Berglund SHL signing, and I mentioned this in yesterday’s thread.

I don’t think the SHL signing precludes a signing with the Oilers and coming to North America.

My understanding is that the NHL and SHL have a transfer agreement of sorts and players under contract in the SHL can come to North America and a transfer fee is paid to the SIHA.

This isn’t like the KHL where a KHL contract precludes signing in the NHL.

Recall, Joel Persson signed with the Oilers while under contract to Vaxjo and the Oilers “loaned him to Vaxjo” which did burn his ELC.

This wouldn’t be the identical situation as, presumably, he comes over, however, I don’t think this signing precludes an NHL signing.

• Primetime says:

I’m not sure this is correct OP. I don’t think you can have 2 contracts signed with 2 separate teams.

When Persson signed, he was a free agent, he did not have a contract with Vaxjo. The Oilers then loaned him, under the terms of their contract, and presumably paid his salary, to Vaxjo to let him play there.

If Berglund has actually signed with an SHL team, they would have to terminate the contract for him to play in the NHL. Which I suppose could happen, but sounds unlikely if he signed for 2 years.

11. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t imagine a Kesselring signing will happen for at least two more seasons – I like this prospect quite a bit but he’s one that will need a development path.

I recall, around Christmas I believe, Howson speak about Niemelainen and how he had a strong year and is on the radar to potentially be signed. Of course, Howson was also speak of Berglund and how they’d like to sign him. I know Howson is soon to be out of the organization (moving on to work for the AHL) but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Niemelainen signing.

I think they walk from McPhee but look to sign Rasanen next year (along with Kemp – no-brainer on Kemp)

12. digger50 says:

Of course we don’t know much about Berglund and how much guidance he recieved. But if he was looking are at Edmonton he may see a log jam and wonder if he wants to fill in at the AHL level. He could also look at Marino’s path and perhaps that Joel Persson.

13. jp says:

Lowetide: NHL respects SHL contracts, so a two-year deal puts it to bed. There was no “loan” mentioned ala Lagesson.

Didn’t see it was 2 years. A little disappointing/surprising, but Holland has earned some rope with his personnel decisions in my eyes at least.

14. Harpers Hair says:

digger50:

This.

The Oilers D system is clogged.

The herd will be culled.

• pts2pndr says:

The D is not clogged per se. The left side has Klefbom, Nurse and Russel with one year left on his contract and Jones and Lagesson pushing for third pairing. If you see Russel as the 7th D no clog. Right side Bear, Larsson and Benning (rfa), with Bouchard pushing for right side. I believe that Russel because of contract and Benning because concussion problems may be moved. There currently is no opening for NHL employment however there is opportunity for right side as injury replacement or third pairing. Russel and Benning can be moved with little or no impact on the team. I’m not sure but moving an RFA that is an NHL D and a cap restrictive contract culling the herd. Culling the herd as I recall from my younger days would entail much larger cuts. Clearing an impending short term log jam might be more appropriate terminology.

15. OriginalPouzar says:

Dick Pound (IOC member) says the Olympics will be postponed.

I don’t think this is official but this is a no-brainer.

16. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Dick Pound (IOC member) says the Olympics will be postponed.

I don’t think this is official but this is a no-brainer.

it is official

17. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar:

This isn’t like the KHL where a KHL contract precludes signing in the NHL.

This is my understanding too. I would add that some SHL contracts appear to have a out-clause where they are somehow nullified if the player obtains an NHL deal.

18. defmn says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Dick Pound (IOC member) says the Olympics will be postponed.

I don’t think this is official but this is a no-brainer.

John Mehrzad QC
    @JohnMehrzadQC
    1. A few thoughts on the ‘elephant in the room’ in the @Tokyo2020
    coverage about whether it should be cancelled or postponed.

2. Neither Japanese government nor IOC wish to cancel or, presently, call for a postponement despite athletes and federations calling for a decision for obvious reasons.

3. The IOC and Japan are parties to a contractual host city agreement, setting out mutual obligations for the performance of the @Olympics

4. The party that ‘cancels’ or ‘postpones’ that agreement, unless mutually agreed by the other party, will put itself in breach of contract and expose itself to huge (billions $) of damages claims.

5. That litigation will last for years, being hugely costly not just financially but reputationally. There will be spin-off litigation from suppliers, sponsors and media networks etc who have already spent huge sums preparing for the @Olympics

6. It would seem that neither Japan or the IOC which to be the party to pull the ‘trigger’ – ie be the party in breach of the host city agreement, and expose itself to crippling claims. There looks to be a ‘game of chicken’ taking place.

7. A postponement may limit damages, but it will still lead to huge claims which will drag on for years.

8. There will, ordinarily, be insurance coverage in place for ‘force majeur’ incidents, but insurance will necessarily be capped and even the insurer may litigate over liability.

9. Of course, if Japan and the IOC delay any decision, causing as a result athletes to pull out themselves (such as Canada with other countries, probably, to follow) – then they can argue the host city agreement is ‘frustrated’ as @Olympics
    cannot take place without athletes.

10. The concept of ‘frustration’ is recognised in Swiss Law (then IOC is based in that jurisdiction). There would then be a strong(er) defence to any future damages claims if the @Olympics
    are cancelled/postponed as a result of a ‘no-show’ by athletes.

19. jp says:

godot10:
    Berglund probably decided that he wanted to have the NHL team of his choice.He has waited this long.Play a year or two more in Sweden and then pick your NHL team based on opportunity with little to no time spent in the AHL.

Playing in the SHL and then having your choice of 31 teams seems pretty logical

Seems he’s free to sign with any NHL team, so the SHL deal probably isn’t about the Oilers depth. Maybe he’s just happy at home vs in the AHL?

Edit: free to sign with any NHL team as of June 1st.

20. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Shame about Berglund.
    I was looking forward to having more depth options at RD.
    Too bad he couldn’t even be signed and flipped for something else needed.

21. jp says:

Harpers Hair: This.

The Oilers D system is clogged.

The herd will be culled.

• Jethro Tull says:

No, ideally you’d want to realize some assets in return, rather than them slipping quietly into the night. Even if it is just low picks, it keeps the fish pond stocked, and you never know, one might grow big…..

It’s better to think of it as a tub that has a drain and a fill. You want to re-fill as fast as you lose water, rather than letting it either drain entirely (takes too long to fill) or overflow (losing water to where it isn’t supposed to be).

• jp says:

Well sure, you want to get something for departing assets, but I’m not sure it was possible to with Berglund. He’s free to sign with any NHL team June 1st and still chose to re-up in Sweden. I’m not sure there’s interest in the player or that he’d return even a late round pick if he were signed. (alternatively, there is interest but the player isn’t into apprenticing in the AHL)

I guess we’ll see, if he doesn’t sign with another NHL club this off season I don’t see an argument the Oilers should have done so. I’d have liked to see him in Bakersfield, but you can’t have everything.

More generally you’re absolutely right that keeping the pond stocked is ideal. I’d argue the Oilers are in range of doing that. And I’m sure as hell happier with where the D pipeline is than when the team was able to attract J Schultz to walk straight into the top 4.

• Harpers Hair says:

Carolina got a second round and third round pick from the Rangers when they traded him.

Fox was also used as a sweetener by Calgary when they acquired Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanafin.

Both teams were pro-active in how they handled his unwillingness to sign and walked away with assets.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

NHL provided an update (although with little substantive information because, well, there isn’t any to provide yet).

One thing that came up is something I have mentioned a few times because Bettman has mentioned it at least 3 times (that I’ve heard/read) – the league does not want a delay in this season to cause interference with next season. The latest the cup has been handed out has been July 24 – twice.

I don’t imagine that they would have play continue past the end of July.

—————–

Q: If the NHL playoffs go into July and/or August, could there be a shortened regular season next year?

A. No. We do not anticipate a scenario in our resumption of play format that would endanger or interfere with the League’s ability to stage and execute the 2020-21 NHL season in its entirety.

• Jethro Tull says:

Gary has to realistically contemplate this going well into next year.

Say all current measures are successful (data shows they won’t be), and the virus is slowed enough that the health system isn’t swamped. Shit, say a magic wand was waved and nobody had Corona anymore, right this instant, there are plenty who didn’t catch it and we have no idea where the virus was spread onto/into /around. It would start up all over again, all be it slowly at first – again.

All we’re doing is fighting a rear-guard action until either a viable vaccine (improbable, given that it’s a virus) or the weather coupled with severe isolation mitigates it.

Time – People Hours – Money. Those are the big three, in that order.

23. Munny says:

Two candidates for vaccine are moving to Phase I Trials:

Moderna’s encapsulated mRNA-based candidate and CanSino’s Adenovirus Type 5 Vector candidate.

These trials began last week and are expected to take about 3 months. If successful, approx a year to commercial-level production, but can be made available to health workers and other high-risk people under Emergency Use Authorizations by autumn..

Wish them the best of luck.

There are 42 other vaccine candidates but they are still at the pre-clinical stage.

All of the above as reported by the WHO.

• N64 says:

DR. GOTTLIEB. What we need to do is what we call a master protocol, where we basically test a lot of drugs at once. We randomize patients to different treatments so everyone gets a treatment if they need it and we figure out which is working the best. That’s what we did with Ebola. We came up with some very effective treatments against Ebola.

MARGARET BRENNAN: The Trump administration announced this past week that the first trial through NIH of a vaccine was started out in Seattle. Given the timeline for this, do resources need to be refocused from a vaccine into some of the treatments that- that you are talking about?

DR. GOTTLIEB: I think absolutely. We could have a drug, a potential prophylactic drug that could prevent people from getting an infection or even treating infection as early as this summer, especially when you look at some of the approaches where companies are developing antibodies that directly target the virus. I think this is highly promising. We need to be putting a lot of resources into that.

Senator Daines introduced a provision in Capitol Hill that may be included in the final package and what it would do is it would basically scale up manufacturing right away for the promising treatments that make it into the government’s sanction trials. So that if one ends up working, we’re ready to distribute it on a mass scale. You have literally millions of doses available. Now, what’s going to happen is a lot of those drugs won’t work and we’re going to end up throwing away the drug that we manufactured. But I think that’s a small price to pay for the benefit of having drug available, if in fact one proves that it’s working.

24. Munny says:

If you are considering downloading and installing Telus’s Babylon Health App, You may want to read this Twitter thread

25. Harpers Hair says:

jp: You make it sound like a bad thing the Oilers are brimming with D prospects. This is pretty much ideal, no?

Not at all.

But it means you have to be really sure that the guys in the system are better than the ones fleeing the organization.

John Marino is a very good, recent example of this.

Calgary had the same issue with Adam Fox and he also blossomed right away.

These players just won’t sign if there is no clear path to a roster spot and, for those prospects with options, years toiling in the AHL won’t be attractive.

I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t find the prospect of spending years in Bakersfield very attractive.

26. RonnieB says:

jp: Harpers Hair: This.
    The Oilers D system is clogged.
    The herd will be culled.

If you believe the Oilers are brimming with D prospects you might want to take another peek at our RD. Assuming that Larsson, Bear, Benning and Bouchard will be playing in the NHL next season (whether with the Oilers or traded to another team) that leaves a soon-to-be 26 years old and unsigned Logan Day as the only RD for Bakersfield. It’s hard to believe that Berglund took a look at our depth chart and decided he couldn’t see a path to the NHL.

While we weren’t paying attention, it seems we have returned to the dreaded leftorium from a couple of years ago.

27. Harpers Hair says:

RonnieB: If you believe the Oilers are brimming with D prospects you might want to take another peek at our RD. Assuming that Larsson, Bear, Benning and Bouchard will be playing in the NHL next season (whether with the Oilers or traded to another team) that leaves a soon-to-be 26 years old and unsigned Logan Day as the only RD for Bakersfield. It’s hard to believe that Berglund took a look at our depth chart and decided he couldn’tsee a path to the NHL.

Why would Berglund get excited about making peanuts in the AHL when he can do much better at home?

Bakersfield’s depth chart is likely very, very low on his list of priorities.

28. RonnieB says:

Harpers Hair,

With all the talk about trading Larsson and walking Benning how long would Berglund be held back if he is NHL capable ?

29. Harpers Hair says:

RonnieB:
    Harpers Hair,

I’m sure he and his agent took that into consideration but the talk has not been coming from the Oilers organization.

Let me use the World Famous Brogan Rafferty as a parallel.

He and his agent could see that both RHD Chris Tanev and Troy Stecher would be becoming free agents at the end of this season and it’s highly unlikely that the Canucks will bring back both.

Not only did Rafferty become the #1RD right away in Utica but he had a clear path to an NHL roster spot next season.

Berglund had no such path and even if the Oilers were to dispose of, say, Benning, he is still blocked by Larsson, Bear, Bouchard and possibly Green.

Berglund will be 23 in just over a month and likely wouldn’t find spending a couple of seasons in the AHL either attractive or productive.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

Howson is going to be on Oilers Now tomorrow and I am very hopeful that Stauff asks him about Berglund and, if the door is closed on the Oilers singing him and, if so, what happened.

Last I heard from Howson, I think around Christmas, the organization was pretty on board with signing this guy.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

I also hear today that the Memorial Cup organizers have blocked off a bunch of hotels and such for late June – obviously in flux but they are still hoping for a Memorial Cup.

I don’t imagine they’ll be able to play then, but if they can, I wonder how that will look with no OHL, WHL, QMJHL playoffs….

32. OriginalPouzar says:

jp:

I am still hopeful that the book is not closed on this player in the organization – I don’t think he’s even “that blocked” – not with Larsson being one year until UFA and Benning being, well, under-used by the current coach it seems.

In any event, I wouldn’t have been surprised to see Berglund get NHL games this coming year – even compete with Bouchard for 3RD potentially.

I’m very intrigued to hear Scott Howson on Oilers Now tomorrow – hopefully some insight.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

v4ance:

In 2 years, maybe Larsson and Benning are gone and then maybe there’s a slim chance to woo Berglund over.But then again, he’ll be able to choose from all 32 teams…

Assuming this closes the book on an NHL signing this year – I’m not 100% convinced yet.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

dessert1111:

An ELC, by definition, must be a two-way contract.

I don’t think he’s sitting on mad stacks in the SHL but probably makes more than the AHL salary that would be part of his ELC. There are contracts that have large AHL salaries and/or guaranteed money above their AHL salary but I don’t think that can be included in an ELC.

I’m very confident that, unless something happened over the last few months, the Oilers would want to sign this guy – Howson all but said it on air a few months ago.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:

That didn’t age well – CHL announces cancellation of the playoffs and the Memorial Cup…

36. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Not at all.

John Marino is a very good, recent example of this.

Calgary had the same issue with Adam Fox and he also blossomed right away.

Nope, years in Bakersfield doesn’t sound like fun.

But having strong depth is always going to dissuade incoming players that have options.

The other thing is you can’t expect every single player to sign. And the examples you give are as much about where they want to live/play as the depth charts of the orgs they left. Berglund I suspect is the same.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack:

other examples. PENS 2004-2006 , HAWKS 2003-2007

When teams miss, they just kick the can further down the road …McDavid has played 5 seasons.1 playoffs and I would add this year as well. So 2 playoffs in 5 years … Let’s hope McDavid and the Oilers are a regular participant in the playoffs over the next 5 years !

Everything the current GM has done since his hire in the spring has been to work towards a regular participant in the playoffs and a true contender – year after year.

Yes, of course, some smaller moves were made to try and improve the current roster for a playoff push but, as we saw, the GM refused to stray from his primary goal and ultimate plan.

O. Pouzar likes!

38. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t think that’s it – if that was the case, he wouldn’t have signed with the SHL team and signed with another NHL team when he officially is no longer Oiler property in a few months here.

Well it’s not a great indicator he’ll sign with the Oilers. But I do agree it’s not final. And also agree the SHL deal is extremely unlikely to be due to the Oilers depth chart since yes, he can sign with any NHL team as of June 1st

39. Munny says:

Drives me nuts that CHED always leaves Hinshaw’s PCs before they are over.

40. New Improved Darkness says:

Scott Stinson: With Tokyo Olympics call, Team Canada may have shamed IOC into doing the right thing — 23 March 2020

Epidemiological summary of COVID-19 cases in Canada

Today I’ve seen time-since-symptom-onset in several Canadian contexts for the first time.

Shows up trends much sooner, and probably part of a coordinated strategy to get the word out that social distancing really works.

The peak in daily new cases on the 19th could in part reflect a baby boom following the peak of 10–12 March as large gatherings (professional sports) rapidly shut down.

Canada was neck and neck with Australia, whose reported data spiked today.

Coronavirus: How did Australia’s Ruby Princess cruise debacle happen? — 23 March 2020

On Thursday, the Ruby Princess cruise ship docked in Sydney with dozens of undiagnosed coronavirus cases onboard.

Almost 2,700 passengers—some coughing and spluttering—were allowed to leave the ship at Sydney Harbour, catching trains, buses and even overseas flights to get home.

At least 48 people who have tested positive have now been traced to the cruise, making it the biggest single source of infections in Australia.

It’s all going so well … and then 14,000 people swoop into town for a dental convention. Add 5–7 days to 5-7 March, and watch the flowers bloom on the Canadian COVID summary.

On Apollo 13 the crew asked Mission Control “are the flowers blooming in Houston” as a way of asking if Ken Mattingly had the measles.

And on Apollo 16 Charlie Duke asked how one of his stocks, Consolidated Jackpine, was doing. Only thing is, there was no Consolidated Jackpine. He did that to play a joke on the media because he knew they would spin their wheels trying to find out what this company did and why Charlie Duke would want to own it.

I think he actually meant Consolation Jackpine. It’s a lonely business up there in space.

“You Are Your Safest Sex Partner”: Why New York Is Encouraging Masturbation in the Time of COVID-19 — 23 March 2020

Better yet for anyone in self-isolation, the golden age of sex toys that serve all bodies is, at long last, here—and safely getting in touch with your body will always be a powerful form of self-care.

Your government, on the job.

• New Improved Darkness says:

Because the new-case chart won’t stay the same, here’s what I’m seeing today:

2020-03-01 16

2020-03-18 46
      2020-03-19 66
      2020-03-20 37
      2020-03-21 10
      2020-03-22 6

41. Close but no Ciger says:

For you analytics or epidemiology nerds here’s a pretty comprehensive site created by Oxford researchers: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Eyeballing one of the graphs it looks like there’s some correlation between weather and confirmed cases so maybe a bit of reprieve in summer, especially for countries like Italy and USA that are on a longer trajectory, and also buys time until we see an effective antiviral.

Here’s a site with provincial data: https://www.covid-19canada.com/

Quebec just tripled their confirmed cases in one day. Hold on to your butts.

42. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– This site is now my alternate universe release thingy: thousands of new cases, are we in a depression, that will cause civil unrest, starting to know people who get the virus: what, wait, oh no, are you kidding me, they didn’t sign Bergland: Holy F%ck, what a disastor. Hey that milli-second of outrage was real

43. v4ance says:

Carl Zimmer @carlzimmer

“A man has died and his wife is under critical care after the couple, both in their 60s, ingested chloroquine phosphate, an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks.”

***

Nigeria Reports Chloroquine Overdoses After Trump—Without Evidence—Touted Drug as Possible Coronavirus Treatment
    “It only took a day for the president’s tweets to get people hospitalized.”

44. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

v4ance:
    Carl Zimmer @carlzimmer

***

“It only took a day for the president’s tweets to get people hospitalized.”

I was really beginning to worry that Trump wasn’t going to be blamed for anything today. Thanks for relieving my anxiety.

45. Harpers Hair says:

Virtually every team has a “Berglund”.

But some have a path forward for them.

This train has sailed.

46. v4ance says:

Michael Welling @WellingMichael

#Spain “Doctors in #EspañaFlag of Spain with tears in their eyes tell how people over 65 must have their respirators removed to give it to the younger people suffering . Seniors are sedated so they don’t suffer. ” #CoronavirusPandemic #CoronaVirusUpdates

47. hunter1909 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – This site is now my alternate universe release thingy: thousands of new cases, are we in a depression, that will cause civil unrest,starting to know people who get the virus: what, wait, oh no, are you kidding me, they didn’t sign Bergland: Holy F%ck, what a disastor.Hey that milli-second of outrage was real

At least people have their priorities in order.

48. defmn says:

v4ance:
    Carl Zimmer @carlzimmer

***

“It only took a day for the president’s tweets to get people hospitalized.”

This is total nonsense.

49. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilman99:
    defmn,

I don’t believe the Oilers made the decision to move on from the player.

I could be wrong but it seems highly doubtful given the player’s progression and previous verbal from the org.

50. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:

Playing in the SHL and then having your choice of 31 teams seems pretty logical

He may have decided that he wants to sign with another org in the NHL but I don’t think that is indicated with this signing – if he doesn’t sign by the Oilers by, I believe June 1, the Oilers use his rights and he could sign with another NHL team.

Perhaps another NHL team would’t have interest as they weren’t scouting the player as Oiler property and he figures he’d need a “show me year” as a NHL free agent? If that was the case, I’d presume he’d sign a one-year SHL deal.

51. OriginalPouzar says:

geowal:
    I gather the Oil won’t have his rights after these two years?

They lose his rights if they don’t sign him this spring.

52. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

v4ance:
    Michael Welling @WellingMichael

What an uplifting little anecdote … thanks for sharing this with us.

53. OriginalPouzar says:

Primetime:
    I’m not sure this is correct OP.I don’tthink you can have 2 contracts signed with 2 separate teams.

When Persson signed, he was a free agent, he did not have a contract with Vaxjo.The Oilers then loaned him, under the terms of their contract, and presumably paid his salary, to Vaxjo to let him play there.

If Berglund has actually signed with an SHL team, they would have to terminate the contract for him to play in the NHL.Which I suppose could happen, but sounds unlikely if he signed for 2 years.

Ya, as I said, I could be wrong.

I knew the Oilers loaned him to Vaxjo but I was not aware that he didn’t have an SHL contract and he was playing on the under terms of his NHL deal but overseas.

Do you know this to be true or think it? Honest question.

54. defmn says:

OriginalPouzar: Berglund was a key piece for Skelfeeta this year and showed a great year over year progression.

I don’t believe the Oilers made the decision to move on from the player.

Do we have any idea of how much he signed for?

55. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

hunter1909: At least people have their priorities in order.

– So yeah I’ve got my priorities in order.

56. hunter1909 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – I was printing up 101 Hunter Death March Champion Kinger Swag, so sure was I of their hot streak and favourable travel down the street getting them there. And the only 2 timer that predicted once a massive fail when consensus was playoffs and once playoffs when opposite

– So yeah I’ve got my priorities in order.

I might try to get a Death March™ top ten list together. Stick it on the site.

57. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: This.

The Oilers D system is clogged.

The herd will be culled.

The Oilers right side is:

Bear
    Larsson
    Benning
    Bouchard
    Berglund

The future of each of the 2nd and 3rd on that last is a bit unknown at this time.

I think Berglund would have seen NHL time this year (well, assuming he continued to progress as he has been and his game translates).

58. v4ance says:

I don’t think it’s fair to rank modern goaltenders against the legends of old – the NHL Georges Vezina played in was a world away from Terry Sawchuck’s, and at least a galaxy away from Roy’s. However, I can say with absolute confidence that, of all the goalies I’ve ever watched during my lifetime, one goaltender stands clearly above the rest.

That goaltender is Dominik Hasek.

****

Inhabiting Dynamic Future Space

Basic goaltending theory (especially in Hasek’s era) deals with filling present static space. The net offers 24 square feet to shoot at. This available area shrinks as the puck moves toward the sides of the rink. A goaltender standing on the goal line covers less area than a goaltender centred closer to the shooter. Get close enough to the puck, and you can block all 24 square feet with a single inch of stick.

As Mitch Korn, Hasek’s renowned goalie coach in Buffalo, told InGoal near the end of Hasek’s career, his understanding of how to fill space was ahead of his time: “We were coming out of the skate save era but he was very good at the same thing we are doing today: Sealing the ice, taking away vertical space.”

***

The full barrel roll is an even more complex manoeuvre, used to cover more space when the shooter has better, potential vertical options between point A and B. Mitch Korn was the first to describe Hasek’s barrel roll as a kind of upside down butterfly, with the arms sealing the bottom (like the leg pads usually do) and the leg pads covering the centre and top of the net (like the torso usually does). It’s a great way to describe how the move provides such strong static coverage, but its dynamic aspects are what make it so suffocatingly effective.

***

By setting himself in motion in both examples above, Hasek was forcing the shooter to make an instant decision, requiring him to react to Hasek, reversing the usual dynamic. It looked to the shooter like Hasek had bitten on a move, or committed to a given shot location, closing down one scoring avenue, but leaving another wide open. The problem for shooters was that Hasek was misleading them. When most goalies stack or dip onto their sides, they’re done, and if you can flank them, you’ll score easily. Hasek used this knowledge to lure shooters into taking a path that should lead them to success. Of course, having planned everything out beforehand, Hasek was able to lead and follow them through to the path’s end, where he would be waiting for them, precisely in time to crush their dreams.

Nobody put it better than Hasek himself: “If you give them something to shoot at, you can set them up for failure.”

Setting them up for failure. The most apt – and chilling – description of goaltending I’ve ever heard

There’s more in the article but it’s the best breakdown of why Hasek was so good.

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair:

and the Oilers did this with Marino and, to the extent Berglund is indeed looking to walk away from the org and there was/is interest from NHL teams, they would have done the same.

I’m still not certain this closes the book on an NHL contract this spring.

Looking forward to Howson’s verbal tomorrow.

• JimmyV1965 says:

Harpers Hair: Global News has just tweeted that the Liberal government will introduce measures in the House tomorrow giving Finance Minister Bill Morneau unlimited power to raise taxes and spend without limits and foregoing any approval by the House of Commons.

If the Bloc, NDP and Greens or any combination thereof support this legislation, you can kiss Canada’s economy goodbye.

That ship sailed a long time ago, when Trudeau was first elected

60. Munny says:

v4ance:
    Carl Zimmer @carlzimmer

***

“It only took a day for the president’s tweets to get people hospitalized.”

A blatantly partisan post that defies logic. Great, now people are using Covid-19 to get Fake News onto a Hockey Board biased towards logic and data.

How lucky are we?

61. OriginalPouzar says:

Jethro Tull:
    Gary has to realistically contemplate this going well into next year.

Say all current measures are successful (data shows they won’t be), and the virus is slowed enough that the health system isn’t swamped.Shit, say a magic wand was waved and nobody had Corona anymore, right this instant, there are plenty who didn’t catch it and we have no idea where the virus was spread onto/into /around. It would start up all over again, all be it slowly at first – again.

Time – People Hours – Money. Those are the big three, in that order.

That very well might happen – maybe it does go in to 2021.

The point of the post (and Gary’s point) is that they aren’t going to delay or shorten the 2020/21 season in order to finish this season/playoffs.

There will only be a 2021 playoffs if it does not interfere with a normal 2020/21 season (which may not be do-able in any event be we are far from that point).

62. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: The Oilers right side is:

Bear
    Larsson
    Benning
    Bouchard
    Berglund

Obviously, Berglund didn’t agree with your take.

63. Harpers Hair says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

v4ance:
    Carl Zimmer @carlzimmer

***

“It only took a day for the president’s tweets to get people hospitalized.”

after the H1N1 influenza outbreak in 2009, which triggered a nationwide shortage of masks and caused a 2- to 3-year backlog orders for the N95 variety, the stockpile distributed about three-quarters of its inventory and didn’t build back the supply.”

Edit: Oops…wrong link.

• jp says:

I didn’t think there was any need for the the post you’re replying to either, but the post-Obama administration had 3+ years to build those stockpiles back up, if they’d deemed them important.

I think playing the blame game mid-crisis is totally pointless and counterproductive for everyone, but just wanted to point out that placing blame on Obama in this case doesn’t really make any sense.

65. defmn says:

I kissed it goodbye about 4 1/2 years ago.

67. Harpers Hair says:

godot10: I don’t see how they will get the unanimous consent agreements to get the bailout bill through the Commons and the Senate in two days, with a unconstiutional coup embedded in the legislation.

You can bet they already have an agreement in place with the Bloc and perhaps the NDP.

68. Harpers Hair says:

Charlie Angus NDP Retweeted
    Tom Parkin
    @TomPark1n
    1h
    Suspending parliament and ruling by decree until 2022 is just out of the question. Not one other country has tried to pull this — not Johnson or even jackboots Trump — and I don’t want provinces or any other country to think this is a precedent.

69. Harpers Hair says:

defmn: I kissed it goodbye about 4 1/2 years ago.

Did you know our Parliamentary democracy would also be a casualty?

That’s what’s at stake here.

70. leadfarmer says:

godot10: The national shortage of N95 respirator masks can be traced back to 2009 after the H1N1 swine flu pandemic, when the Obama administration was advised to replenish a national stockpile but did not, according to reports from Bloomberg News and the Los Angeles Times.

Edit: Oops…wrong link.

Blaming Obama in Trumps 4th year of presidency??
    If only Obama wasn’t selling live bats in Wuhan in December

71. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: I can certainly see a path to Bakersfield but Larsson, Bear, Benning and Bouchard makes four NHL RHD.

Bakersfield’s depth chart is likely very, very low on his list of priorities.

High on the Bakersfield depth chart means closer to NHL employment.

He is likely looking at AHL time with any NHL organization he signs with – of course, if he hits it out of the park in an NHL camp he may stick but I don’t see any “NHL promises” in order to sign.

With those listed above, two have unknown short and medium term futures with the club.

I could have seen Bouchard at 1RD in the Bake to start the year with Berglund as 6/7 in Edmonton if his game translates right away – just to give Bouch a few more AHL games.

72. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: High on the Bakersfield depth chart means closer to NHL employment.

He will easily find a better deal in the NHL if he decides to sign.

Being 6/7 and then being demoted if/when Bouchard thrives is a loser’s game.

His agent is obviously not a dummy.

Do you think they don’t know about John Marino and his immediate NHL success?

73. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Virtually every team has a “Berglund”.

But some have a path forward for them.

This train has sailed.

You may not see if but, of course, you are looking for the negatives with respect to the Oilers (as evidenced by citing pending UFAs Tanev and Stetcher as reasons for Rafferty to sign with the Canucks organization but then cite pending UFA Green as s potential road-block for Berglund).

74. Yeti says:

Willis says it doesn’t preclude him signing for the Oil:
    “Thus Berglund’s new two-year deal … does not necessarily mean he won’t sign an entry-level deal with the Oilers. It also doesn’t preclude him from signing with another NHL team after June 1. It simply means that if he stays in Europe, he’ll be playing for Linkoping.”

75. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: There is a path forward to the NHL for Berglund if he earns it with his play in North America.

I have to admit you must be a good lawyer.

You argue a losing position until the cows not only come home but die in the barn.

The evidence is, of course, right in front of you but you refuse to accept it.

Rafferty signed with the Canucks when he could have signed anywhere.

Berglund did not sign with the Oilers because he didn’t like the situation.

76. Munny says:

If you are interested in Finance and/or Economics and want some info on what we are going through and what The Fed is trying to accomplish right now, this is the best video I have seen:

Courtesy of Jim Bianco of Bianco Research.

I don’t agree 100 percent with every point he makes, but his analysis (especially on how we got to this point in the markets) is very solid.

77. hunter1909 says:

Justin Trudeau could care less about democracy, is the thing.

78. hunter1909 says:

leadfarmer: Blaming Obama in Trumps 4th year of presidency??
    If only Obama wasn’t selling live bats in Wuhan in December

American democracy died under the watch of G.W.Bush with the “Patriot Act”; and I still blame him nearly 20 years later.

79. hunter1909 says:

Yeti: This may not be true at all. Don’t jump the gun.

Live by the pass, die by the pass.

80. OriginalPouzar says:

Just reading through WIllis’ piece at The Athletic and, as some had anticipated, the SHL signing likely does not preclude him signing with the Oilers. Even though we don’t know the ins and outs of the transfer agreement.

He cites precedent such as the fact the Nygard signed a 3-year deal in the SHL a few months before signing with the Oilers.

We should know more from Howson tomorrow.

81. Munny says:

Harpers Hair:
    Charlie Angus NDP Retweeted
    Tom Parkin
    @TomPark1n
    1h

This and the talk of suspending habeus corpus in the US are where we as citizens need to draw the line.

82. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: Did you know our Parliamentary democracy would also be a casualty?

That’s what’s at stake here.

That required an ‘unprecedented emergency’ just like it did with dad; so no. The rest? Yes.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

I’m sorry, and with respect, is the suggestion that we shouldn’t be able to discuss Oilers-related news on the Oilers blog.

I don’t think anyone inferred that any Oilers news has importance near the level of what’s going on in the world but if I’m reading that post above correctly and there is criticism for talking about the Oilers on this site…..

• Halfwise says:

I took the original posting exactly the opposite way.

It is wonderful to be able to come here every day and read about things that are important to us, from a cast of familiar characters with surprising insights into complex issues.

Plus homeopathic doses of Trump Derangement Syndrome and deep conspiracy theories. And the occasional bear sighting in the improved darkness, although I can’t make it through any of those.

LT has created and curated a remarkable salon here.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Obviously, Berglund didn’t agree with your take.

No, not obviously – pure speculation.

We have no idea why he did what he did and we also don’t know that he won’t be signing with the Oilers tomorrow or over the next few months.

85. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: He will easily find a better deal in the NHL if he decides to sign.

Being 6/7 and then being demoted if/when Bouchard thrives is a loser’s game.

His agent is obviously not a dummy.

Do you think they don’t know about John Marino and his immediate NHL success?

Wow, I didn’t realize that Berglund was such a plus prospect in your eyes.

I mean, I’ve been talking about him for a while but I’ve never heard you mention him as such an NHL option until it looks like he may be moving on from the org (which is still definitely not confirmed).

• Yegfoundation says:

Ha ha. This is brilliant.

Come on HH, even you must crack a smile when OP catches you in the act!

#dontarguewiththelawyer
      #sticktoeasiertargets

86. Scungilli Slushy says:

Munny:

To me this is a failure of our federal government.

To expect us to have the time or understanding to assess this is unrealistic, and to allow such information to be accessed is irresponsible.

Not everything needs to be for sale or free market if reasonable social outcomes are the goal.

Sick of internet snake oil salesmen. Please wake up western world. Enough is enough.

Or as Popeye said enough is enough and enough is too much.

87. jp says:

godot10:
    That wasn’t the point of the reply to the original post. Some people are dense.

Leadfarmer and I had virtually the same response. Both dense it seems. What was the point?

88. Scungilli Slushy says:

Harpers Hair: Not at all.

John Marino is a very good, recent example of this.

Calgary had the same issue with Adam Fox and he also blossomed right away.

Depends on your point of view.

If you want physically weak offensive D that need high cap, and sheltering 5v5, or plugs like the Pens do ,than yes they fled.

Even good teams like the Pens get Cup rose coloured glasses. A lot more than the roster goes into a Cup. So much luck and timing.

89. jp says:

Being 6/7 and then being demoted if/when Bouchard thrives is a loser’s game.

His agent is obviously not a dummy.

Do you think they don’t know about John Marino and his immediate NHL success?

He’s an NHL UFA on June 1st, who do you figure he signs with?

Do you think Berglund or Rafferty plays more NHL games next year?

90. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909: Justin Trudeau could care less about democracy, is the thing.

Not so different than Trump really except younger

Dad had martial law…..

91. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: I have to admit you must be a good lawyer.

The evidence is, of course, right in front of you but you refuse to accept it.

Rafferty signed with the Canucks when he could have signed anywhere.

Berglund did not sign with the Oilers because he didn’t like the situation.

You are citing your opinion as fact and even as background evidence itself.

Even if it was a sure thing that Berglund isn’t signing with the Oilers, you don’t know that its because he didn’t like the situation – that is just your opinion based on “a fact”.

Of course, the “fact” isn’t actually a fact as its not known that he won’t be signing by the Oilers.

As I posted very early in this thread, and as has been confirmed by Willis with precedent and information, this signing in the SHL does not preclude an NHL signing with the Oilers this season.

Even if the player has decided to move on and not sign with the Oilers (which is far from known), just because you think you know why, doesn’t mean that you are right – there could be a multitude of reasons but, of course, you refuse to acknowledge any of the (or even that he may indeed still sign with the Oilers).

92. hunter1909 says:

While seeking hockey style entertainment options while watching a YouTube clip of every single Oilers goal scored during the 1987 Finals v Philadelphia in what might be their greatest Oilers team lineup ever…

Kevin Lowe scores a great goal and looks like Gene Hackman…

I slotted Draisaitl/McDavid into the top dynasty 6 at first I figured Draisaitl would be better used playing with Gretzky/Kurri.

Then I remembered who the Messier line gets and I nearly fell off of my chair.

Draisaitl Gretzky Kurri
    McDavid Messier Anderson

A dream top six I might be willing to bet on vs any other team’s all time top 6 including the Habs/Wings anyone lol

ps: add peak Paul Coffey and +++

93. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: Wow, I didn’t realize that Berglund was such a plus prospect in your eyes.

No one said he was a “plus prospect”

But as I said weeks ago…the Oilers have a glut of middling D and they are not going to stick around if they can’t see a path to the NHL.

Ask yourself…”Why didn’t the dog bark?”

Deductive reasoning is your friend.

Denial is not.

94. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Perhaps you should give him a call and extoll the wonders of Bakersfield in January.

Utica is no paradise either. The January weather is better in Bakersfield at least. Some ugly options lol

95. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Not so different than Trump really except younger

Trudeau is Daddy the Prime Ministers prince, providing quasi-royalty to an otherwise dull Canadian political landscape. It’s not for nothing the Sussex mafia have made themselves at home in Trudeau the 2nd’s tragicomic reign.

96. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Dad had martial law…..

97. hunter1909 says:

PS: While no fan of Pierre Trudeau myself, there’s a film where a reporter is able to walk right up to the Prime Minister of Canada with the informality of a college professor and his student. That takes guts on the part of PM Trudeau. That’s back in the day when the land was still actually free, and those who had fought and bled for the freedom were still running the show of course lol

98. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909: Trump is a singular one off who came from nowhere zero political experience and won the most important job on earth while going against the most hostile establishment in American history.

Justin wasn’t exactly ripened in experience. Nor was Dad but the outlook and attitude was a little more adult in the elder adult.

Both entitled which is what rubs me the wrong way. Catastrophic decision making seems to run in the family.

Hopefully now that JT is grumpy after a week of limited attention he’ll be more pro active. In the right way.

• tileguy says:

I think limited attention is what he craves, (see running off to Africa during the blockades) why else would he not take the coved test and get back to work?

99. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Both entitled which is what rubs me the wrong way.

This is interesting. Care to elaborate?

100. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909: This is interesting. Care to elaborate?

Let’s not go too far, but our leaders that did long term good were shall we say of more humble origins. There is no one template, but feeling you have a ‘deep’ duty to people is a great start.

I’m feeling JT isn’t minding his narcissistic solo pressers right now, no way to know for sure of course. Seems vacant to the point of Zombie apocalypse though, not the vibe I would want to send. Very Walking Dead.

101. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: No one said he was a “plus prospect”

Ask yourself…”Why didn’t the dog bark?”

Deductive reasoning is your friend.

Denial is not.

The Oilers only have middling D ahead of him yet he sees no path to the NHL.

He’s not a plus prospect yet there are other teams that would essentially sign him for an NHL job (a better path than likely first call-up).

102. N64 says:

Close but no Ciger: Quebec just tripled their confirmed cases in one day. Hold on to your butts.

The large jump in positive results on March 23 corresponds to a directive that local PCR tests done by designated hospitals no longer need to be confirmed by the Public Health laboratory. Previously, tests confirmed only at designated hospitals were considered “presumed” rather than “confirmed”.

103. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909: Pierre Trudeau invoking the War Measures Act took great courage at the time, and his gamble with democracy being temporarily suspended, Roman style worked incredibly well, seeing that the FLQ were decimated then smashed completely. Revisionists today can contradict reality all they want but that’s the gist of it.

I meant JT in a semi serious way wants to emulate dad.

Not referring to the merits or lack of in those days. But I would have as well I think. PT had balls but not really a common touch eye .

JT has an Instagram feel for things to me.

104. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909:

Not uncommon in that day I’m old enough to remember as well.

105. Scungilli Slushy says:

tileguy:

Adulting be hard.

106. Scungilli Slushy says:

jp:
    I recall Chretien being connected enough to the people to personally throttle and punch them at times (separate incidents IIRC, one I believe a response to being pied). Guts for sure.

That’s a PM!

107. Scungilli Slushy says:

N64: They were under reporting by 2/3 due to not accepting local test as full confirmed and corrected that today as per this comment on wikipedia:

~10% isn’t the doubling every 2 days.

• Close but no Ciger says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Cases double every three days, you can see it in the first site that I linked. This is considered exponential growth – think of it like compounded interest – your investment grows exponentially since it multiplies by itself every x amount of time.

108. Victoria Oil says:

N64,

Also, the number of recovered cases in Canada allegedly jumped from 14 to 320 today. As with the Quebec cases reported today, there was some ‘catch-up” involved. Need to take these numbers with a healthy dose of salt.

109. Munny says:

So far we are managing this without a complete shutdown of our economy and our liberty. That makes us luckier than a lot of places.

There has been a change in how the Alberta government is approaching testing. It’s obvious that the number of available tests has its limits and the government is prioritizing the most vulnerable and the most essential over even those that have travelled.

Sad thing is the numbers were just beginning to tell us the effects of our actions undertaken for the past 10 days.

But that said, I’m glad for the changes in testing. Ideally we’d all have a test we could go down to the drugstore and buy. But this ain’t ideally. Focusing on the vulnerable will bring ICU usage and death rates down as will focusing on health workers who can spread it to differently-sick patients. Focusing on health workers will also keep treatment capacity at its maximum, and minimize transmission to the rest of us.

Really they’re giving the province the flu, but as slowly as possible while isolating and testing the old and the infirm.

110. Munny says:

Scungilli Slushy: Are you seeing exponential growth in Canada? I am not finding it so far in reading stats which are limited.

~10% isn’t the doubling every 2 days.

As N.I.D. posted above:

Looks pretty exponential lol. Some nice flattening at the top though; a wonderful trend that I hope was achieved by all this social distancing. We’ve avoided some pretty bad math outcomes if the trend can continue.

#gotmo

111. Munny says:

You have to assume any patient entering the hospital for reasons other than coronavirus, has coronavirus till testing says otherwise.

That’s a helluva strain on hospitals. Essentially all patients in have to be under isolation protocols. Consider this from Dr. Metra of Brescia, Italy (as reported in the NYT):

“We have lost some patients just because their bed was close to a sick patient and we did not know that he was Covid positive,” he said, referring to the coronavirus. “You have these patients who came to the hospital one week ago to be treated for something else and they were infected and now they are sick. That is the way that our unit became all Covid positive.”

New for The Athletic: Final Oilers report cards: Second-half impact defines a successful season

113. jp says:

Munny:
    So far we are managing this without a complete shutdown of our economy and our liberty.That makes us luckier than a lot of places.

But that said, I’m glad for the changes in testing.Ideally we’d all have a test we could go down to the drugstore and buy.But this ain’t ideally.Focusing on the vulnerable will bring ICU usage and death rates down as will focusing on health workers who can spread it to differently-sick patients.Focusing on health workers will also keep treatment capacity at its maximum, and minimize transmission to the rest of us.

It is too bad that a lot of information (even beyond the effectiveness of the various actions) is being lost (never collected I guess is more accurate). But yeah, testing clearly needs to be focused right now where it’s most needed.

One of my hopes for a return towards normalcy is huge increases in testing capacity. The technology to detect the presence of Covid in samples is pretty accessible (the lab I work in and tens of thousands across NA are capable of doing it, albeit without all proper quality controls). There are hurdles I’m sure, but I think testing capacity should be very scalable on relatively shorter timelines (like a few months). There’s also other potential testing avenues that could eventually make their way to drugstore type test kits!

But being able to clear people as Covid free in a workplace or other setting (and regular testing to ensure they’re still free) would allow much more “business as normal” to return. A scenario like testing then isolating NHLers for a 1 month playoffs becomes plausible at least. Kind of analogous to STD testing in the porn industry.

114. OriginalPouzar says:

Thanks Al.

How do you reconcile Bouchard’s development and pedigree with the fact that its not reasonable to suggest he has top pairing potential because he hasn’t shown himself early enough?

115. OriginalPouzar says:

The Olympics postponement has officially been made official.