Harvest Moon 2020 (Covid edition)

It remains my favourite series of posts each year. Perhaps I’ll have a chance to write a Stanley Cup post some day that will surpass draft weekend, but for now it’s the best time on the blog for its author.

It begins on draft Friday with ‘Here Comes the Sun’ and then goes through a series (more than five less than 10) of “Oilers at” posts that offer quick details about the latest addition.

Finally, on Saturday night comes ‘Harvest Moon’ and an overview of the weekend’s procurement. The draft won’t happen until October, but there’s much to discuss from this draft already. Let’s have a look.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

LOWETIDE PROJECTED WEEKEND

First round, No. 23 overall — RC Mavrik Bourque, Shawinigan (QMJHL). NHLE: 33.7. Fine skater, great passer, creative. He’s 5.10 176 and a quality prospect. Red Line compares him to Travis Konecny.

Second round, No. 54 overall —  L Martin Chromiak, Kingston (OHL). NHLE: 31.2 Skilled winger with speed, I don’t think Mysak lasts this long but Chromiak is a nice consolation.

Third round, No. 85 overall —  RW Alexander Pashin, Ufa (MHL).  NHLE: 15.6 Undersized, skill forward who is a bit under the radar.

Fourth round, No. 116 overall —  LW Oskar Magnusson, Malmo (SuperElite). NHLE: 25.9 .Fine prospect brings speed and a great shot. Undersized.

Fifth round, No. 147 overall — RD Thimo Nickl, Drummondville (QMJHL). NHLE: 18.2 Puck moving defenseman with some chaos.

Sixth round, No. 178 overall —  LW Eric JuhlinVasteras (SuperElite). NHLE: 17.7. Good shot, solid performance (13 goals in 36 games) at even strength.

Seventh round, No. 209 overall —  RD Mitch Miller, Tri-City Storm (USHL). NHLE: 16.6. Skilled defenseman, passing his greatest asset.

KEN HOLLAND’S 2020 DRAFT

First round, No. 23 overall — RW Jacob Perreault, Sarnia (OHL). NHLE: 32.5. He scored 39 goals in 57 OHL games. Sniper. Skilled. Red Line compares him to Jake DeBrusk. Great shot. Quick release.

Second round, No. 54 overall — TRADED for LW Andreas Athanasiou. After a bunch of trades that involved sending out Devan Dubnyk, Jeff Petry and Andrew Cogliano for second round picks or less, Holland’s decision to add Athanasiou for two seconds (another in 2021) hit a good spot for this observer. I don’t know if it’ll work out but I like the bet. Athanasiou can deliver immediately and is young enough to hang around for several years.

Third round, No. 85 overall —  TRADED for James Neal. No matter what happens here and I do believe the NHL will side with Calgary, this is a trade that made sense at the time. Holland would have been severely handcuffed with both the noxious buyout penalty and punitive ‘no movement’ aspect as it pertained to the expansion draft.

Fourth round, No. 116 overall —  TRADED for Mike Green. Edmonton received just one game and a little bit for this pick, but Green looked like an astute acquisition at the time. One assumes Holland feels he can trade back in to the top 100 overall.

Fifth round, No. 147 overall — RD Mason Langenbrunner, Eden Prairie High School. Young defenseman with the vital stats of a pencil (6.03, 170). He has the complete range of skills and is on his way to Harvard.

Sixth round, No. 178 overall —  G Calle Clang, Rogle (SuperElite). Big goalie with good results in league play and internationally, projecting goaltenders and where they’ll land is impossible in the era of ‘searching for giants’ but I like Clang’s resume a lot.

Seventh round, No. 209 overall —  LW Pavel Gogolev, Guelph Storm (OHL). He turned 20 in February, has passed through the draft twice and remains a dynamic offensive prospect. He represents exceptional value here (I have him No. 96) and should go earlier but you could have said that in 2018 and 2019, too.

JP

Aivis Kalniņš is reporting (here) that Jesse Puljujarvi has no interest in the KHL (an approach was made). I do think there’s a chance we see the big Finn dealt over the summer, perhaps for a NY Rangers selection. I’ve always said the Athanasiou acquisition looked like swapping in AA and would eventually see JP swapped out. I would not trade JP for picks.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN 1260, we hit the ground running with a great group of guests. Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey at the Edmonton Journal will talk new lines (Bruce won’t be pleased) and a few old timey items. Joe Osborne from OddsShark will tell us about the pain of Cole Custer going four wide at a Nascar race to win a race and explode a bet that looked good all day long. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Constant chatter at 10!

134 Responses to "Harvest Moon 2020 (Covid edition)"

1. Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR says:

Tippett comparing Leon to Forsberg yesterday got me all warm in the secret spots! I never saw the similarities until he pointed it out. Forsberg had a bit more edge, but I’d take that comparison all day.

2. Brantford Boy says:

LT: “TRADED for James Neal. No matter what happens here and I do believe the NHL will side with Calgary”… “F” that noise! I’d like to hear your take on this…

My thoughts are the conditions were never met, done deal…

3. Elgin R says:

LT: I like your later picks of RD as you should be able to move them for a better player in the left side if you have too. I would not trade JP for anyone that needs to be protected in the Krakken expansion draft. If Holland can not get a home run then let him play another year in Finland. Does Seattle take JP? If eligible then I would think so.

4. hunter1909 says:

EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY

HUNTER2020 PLAYOFF DEATH MARCH™ IS BACK! STILL TOTALLY FREE!

…simply decide how many goals McDavid+Yamamoto will combine for, plus how many games Oilers will Win in the upcoming playoffs and then finally how many games they Lose… its easy!

Go here: https://oilersdeathmarch.com/playoffs-2020/

…to join the rest of the Winners!

WINNERS GET PRIZES WINNERS GET PRIZES WINNERS GET PRIZES

5. dustrock says:

Brantford Boy:

My thoughts are the conditions were never met, done deal…

On a straight reading of the contract, I’d agree – but the argument might be that unforeseeable conditions made it literally impossible to even meet the terms of the contract.

Was there substantial compliance of the contract?

I think the NHL will side with the Flames as well.

6. Brantford Boy says:

dustrock,

I hear and understand your points, so bonuses would fall under this line of thought as well then?

It just opens up a huge can of worms to go down that way of thinking… IMO

7. Durag says:

edit: ^^^ haha, yes exactly this

Brantford Boy:

My thoughts are the conditions were never met, done deal…

I agree. It sets a precedent that you can project stats over the remainder of the season, which gives a lot of players an argument that they should be paid out on bonuses they fell short of. Owners will want to squash this.

8. Durag says:

My theory is Lowetide is taking that position so he can skip the hypothetical #85 pick because he hates talking about the draft.

9. ruotsalainen says:

I rarely get around to comment anymore, but still try to read everyday. Love catching up on all the posts and comments, but I especially love the Harvest Moon series. Just needed to say that. Hope everyone is and stays well.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

So, 23rd overall – is the prediction that the Oilers beat Chicago and then lose in the 1st round of the playoffs?

11. barry.moore23 says:

My wife has a crush on Travis Konecny so I’d guess we’d better draft this Bourque guy 🙂

12. OriginalPouzar says:

LT, I can’t disagree that the flames may get the Oilers 3rd rounder but you don’t think that it just ends there and the Oilers don’t get an added pick at the end of round 3?

Personally, trying to be unbiased, I don’t think it makes sense that the flames get nothing but I also don’t think it makes sense if the Oilers give up the 3rd and get nothing back. Neither are “fair” and, no, i don’t buy in to the “trade condition didn’t vest” – the season was topped due to a force majeure – its not the same as “well, Neal could have been injured” – in my opinion.

13. defmn says:

First time I have ever heard a reason given for why he is so unhappy with the organization.

Torpedo owns the rights to the 22-year old forward, while the Edmonton Oilers still hold his NHL rights. Puljujarvi still isn’t interested in returning to play for the Oilers due to them not taking care of player’s health properly. The trade request still stands but there is no sign of any deal taking place anytime soon.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, I saw that Jesse tidbit earlier and makes sense to me. I never thought he would sign in the KHL as it would close the door on an NHL return during the course of the KHL contract.

I still think he re-signs in Karpat with the standard NHL out clause – doesn’t mean he’ll return to the NHL this year but, best case scenario, for me – a place to play in the fall and then he can sign his QO and come over for camp in the early winter!

15. OriginalPouzar says:

N64: Dreger confirmed that the outstanding issue with the feds has been settled. It was about the bubble mod rules includingNHL contractors. NBC would be one part of that group.

This is my understanding as well.

The press conferences that were postponed will happen tomorrow (Thursday) as I’ve read.

16. dustrock says:

Brantford Boy:
    dustrock,

It just opens up a huge can of worms to go down that way of thinking… IMO

Yeah, I get that argument. There’s always the “slippery slope” argument for anything.

I get the attraction of “too bad, it was a pandemic, nobody’s fault but none of these were made so that’s it”, as it just ends the argument for all cases.

But if you were say Smith needing 1 more game to get a games played bonus, was it probable he would play one more game in the last 4-6 weeks? Probably, yeah.

17. --hudson-- says:

OriginalPouzar:

Personally, trying to be unbiased, I don’t think it makes sense that the flames get nothing but I also don’t think it makes sense if the Oilers give up the 3rd and get nothing back.Neither are “fair” and, no, i don’t buy in to the “trade condition didn’t vest” – the season was topped due to a force majeure – its not the same as “well, Neal could have been injured” – in my opinion.

18. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Flames should get nothing.

A trade with futures is an investment, its not income.

Investment comes with risk.

The terms were not met.

Its as if my landlord can come to me for a rent increase this year based on inflation as he’s done in the past. Um no, Covid-19 disrupted your investment. That’s called risk.

19. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Doesn’t unforeseen circumstances be written in the contract or is it just assumed? If it is assumed then the trajectory of Neal’s scoring fell off the cliff the 2 months and that would be more of an accurate assessment of he would not have reached the 21 goals with a few games left.

20. hunter1909 says:

defmn: Puljujarvi still isn’t interested in returning to play for the Oilers due to them not taking care of player’s health properly.

Let’s see…Sheldon Souray was run out of town over his health, Colton Teubert arrived via trade(that gave LAK missing pieces of a Cup winner) totally broken, Visnovsky had deep set health issues if I remember correctly while Ryan Whitney basically died the death of a Thousand Cuts on a nightly basis in front of the fans…

In short, the Hallmark of an uber-incompetent professional sports franchise. A bottom feeder for a team. A league-wide laughing stock.

Hard to blame JP on this evidence alone. There are other examples, to put it mildly.

21. Brantford Boy says:

One last comment on the prorated season aspect, aside from conditions met and bonuses… is there not at least one NHL player on an ELC that had the season went the distance would have played the 10 or 40 game mark? It just can’t be concluded that way…

22. Durag says:

It would be a landmark decision to conclude that ifs and buts are, in fact, candy and nuts

23. OriginalPouzar says:

As per Lowetide, via twitter, doesn’t look like Crawford will be on ice again today – that’s three days now and, frankly, he hasn’t skated with the team at all, during phase 2 or phase 3 – as far as “getting in to game shape”, even if he does return in time for the series, will he be ready?

24. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Veteran players who have W’s in their portfolios are sometimes given every chance in the world particularly in a potential slaughter with McDavid+Draisaitl at large, under 25 and raring to go right from the drop of the first puck.

The reason being, Crawford has got enough muscle memory of NHL playoff success, that from Chicago’s pov hopefully he catches it during the first 2 games.

Imagine the Hawks with the 1OA pick wow they’d be right back.

25. Waiting for a cup says:

I have no idea who gets the Oilers 3rd pick and I am not a lawyer but I only see a few possible outcomes.

1. The Oilers keep the pick. Flames get nothing. The conditions of the deal were not met.
    2. The Oilers keep the pick. The Flames get a compensation pick later in the draft. The odds of the conditions being met were high enough to warrant Calgary getting some type of relief.

Reasoning:
    * There is no chance that either the Oilers or Flames are going to agree to a win by the other team. Edmonton is not going to just allow Calgary to have the pick. Likewise, Calgary is not going to agree to Edmonton keeping the pick.
    * If the NHL must arbitrate they will come somewhere in the middle. Edmonton will keep the pick because the conditions were not met and Calgary will get compensation. A pick in a later round.
    * If Edmonton and Calgary do reach a settlement I hope it’s the case that they just push it for a season and we can have one more thing to discuss.

Personally I am hoping Edmonton wins the cup and the NHL awards Calgary the pick at the end on the third round as compensation. This would mean years of discussing who got the better player.

26. N64 says:

–hudson–: With Lucic being 11 goals behind Neal, could the Oilers argue in a prorated season there are multiple universes where he closes that gap to 10 or less?

Sure. How many goals did Neal score in calendar year 2020? Project that for as many parsecs as you want.

27. Reja says:

Durag:

Oh what a wonderful life that would be. There’s not a chance in hell that Holland coughs up our 3rd rounder to Calgary simply because they batted their puppy dog eyes to Gary. Not going to happen on old Dutch’s watch.

28. hunter1909 says:

Waiting for a cup: Personally I am hoping Edmonton wins the cup and the NHL awards Calgary the pick at the end on the third round as compensation.

Finally a common sense solution I can get behind.

29. hunter1909 says:

Reja: Oh what a wonderful life that would be. There’s not a chance in hell that Holland coughs up our 3rd rounder to Calgary simplybecause theybatted their puppy dog eyes to Gary. Not going to happen on old Dutch’s watch.

lol @ “Old Dutch”.

30. N64 says:

Durag: It sets a precedent that you can project stats over the remainder of the season, which gives a lot of players an argument that they should be paid out on bonuses they fell short of.

flyfish1168: So how would this apply to players that just fell short of their bonuses in their contacts? NHL would be opening a big can of worms here

Hold on. There already are precedents for pro-rating for bonuses in shortened seasons and they were re-iterated in the arrangements for this year in the new CBA.

Trade conditions are totally different as the PA and grievance are not involved.. Any precedent here would only be for trades. Grievances set precedent on bonuses long ago.

31. Fuge Udvar says:

My hope is that they finally throw us a bone after screwing us with the “compensation” picks we gave up for Chiarelli and TMac. And I will take it as an omen that the dark cloud has finally lifted off the organization.

32. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Hawks did not know to cover for the scenario where the season ended early.

~ Can they have Robin Lehner back now that they are accidentally in the playoffs? ~

33. JimmyV1965 says:

34. N64 says:

Fuge Udvar:

Sure., And for handing off our bye to the Stars. Any millennia now.

35. digger50 says:

Mike Green – anybody know if Mike was at greater risk, or was his family at greater risk of COVID related illness than the other players who chose to play?

36. defmn says:

flyfish1168:

Doesn’t unforeseen circumstances be written in the contract or is it just assumed? If it is assumed then the trajectory of Neal’s scoring fell off the cliff the 2 months and that would be more of an accurate assessment of he would nothave reached the 21 goals with a few games left.

As I have mentioned here before the main reason being given for this Stanley Cup tournament is economic liabilities the league would incur if they failed to complete the season BECAUSE they failed to include a clause recognizing the possibility of a catastrophic event prematurely ending the season.

And now they are going to give a draft pick to Calgary that did not fulfill the terms of the contract when they also did not protect themselves with such a clause?

Given the history of the NHL I won’t be surprised if they do but it lacks consistency of principle if they do.

37. JimmyV1965 says:

flyfish1168: OP Interesting how you feel about this situation. So how would this apply to players that just fell short of their bonuses in their contacts? NHL would be opening a big can of worms here

IMO a player who was on pace to earn a bonus should be awarded the bonus. And there might maybe be a legal case if a player took this to court. OP would have a better informed opinion of course. However, in fairness to the team, I don’t think the bonus should apply to the team’s cap.

38. Durag says:

N64,

Thanks. I was not aware of that.

39. N64 says:

JimmyV1965: IMO a player who was on pace to earn a bonus should be awarded the bonus

40. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

defmn,

Well put. This accurately sums up my position on the matter. There were already clauses included in the conditions of the pick in the trade. Treliving didn’t include any kind of pandemic insurance so the pick shouldn’t get traded since the conditions didn’t vest. It’s really pretty simple. Any effort to compensate CGY is just mental gymnastics.

41. JimmyV1965 says:

N64: Woah, It went to grievance in the past and the precedents are there and new CBA follows that. Players gets $$$. Team stuck with the cap hit. Special one time option this year to spread out bonus overages over an extra year.

Did not know this. Thanks 64.

42. ArmchairGM says:

Harpers Hair:
    Makar, Hughes and Kubalik are the Calder finalists.

No surprises there. I think Makar will win, but I’d vote for Hughes .

43. Ribs says:

Waiting for a cup: 3. The Oilers keep the 2020 pick and both teams agree to push the condition to the 20-21 season.

44. defmn says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    defmn,

Any effort to compensate CGY is just mental gymnastics.

Which we both know the league is capable and fond of but that doesn’t change the principle. Contracts allow for anything and everything to be agreed upon or excluded.

In common law anything which is not proscribed by law is considered outside the regulating process of law.

45. defmn says:

Ribs: I suppose this is now an option as Mike Green sitting out means the conditions for the 2021 3rd round pick to Detroit cannot be met.

46. Ribs says:

defmn: Unless Detroit argues that without the pandemic Green would have fulfilled the terms of the clause and so they should get our 3rd next year.

Haha, yes. What a mess.

47. N64 says:

Ribs: I mean if we are going to insert the preamble “If the pandemic hadn’t shortened the season . . .” into every contract the club lawyers and the league lawyers are going to make a fortune arguing every case.

And yet it’s entirely reasonable to write in on shortened seasons. Not like Gary ever needed covid before to shorten a season.

48. Munny says:

The NHL wants Calgary and Edmonton to work this out between themselves. Fools.

I don’t see how Calgary can award a compensatory pick in the name of the NHL in return for the 3rd, Something like that would have to come from the Bettman Bunker.

I can see them agreeing on a swap of picks… our 3rd for their 4th, Or on a poorer pick… we send them a 5th. But I can’t see the compensatory pick being utilized unless this goes to some form of arbitration.

If this was in the real world, as Defmn and others above have asserted, there would be no award… although typically in the real world there would also be some clause which addresses things like suspension of business activity, non-performance, etc. And if it’s not in the contract…

Problem is this issue falls under the jurisdiction of the NHL, and their set of common and civil laws, with the NHL as the adjudicating body. And we all know how consistent and strong their sense of justice is.

49. Munny says:

defmn: I mean if we are going to insert the preamble “If the pandemic hadn’t shortened the season . . .” into every contract the club lawyers and the league lawyers are going to make a fortune arguing every case.

Precisely why this is true:

defmn: Contracts allow for anything and everything to be agreed upon or excluded.

50. OriginalPouzar says:

For straight up performance bonuses, they are pro-rating, I believe.

As far as strict legal reading of the trade parameters and any related CBA provisions, remember, we are in a unique situation where the league and the players, generally, are agreeing to transitory provisions that don’t alline exactly with the governing agreement or normal course.

51. OriginalPouzar says:

N64: There have been shortened seasons before and yet the Flames deal did not cover for that scenario.

Hawks did not know to cover for the scenario where the season ended early.

Should the Oilers get their 4th round pick back because Green opted out?

52. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965: I think LT is on the record saying the simplest, most fair solution is awarding the Flames a compensatory pick at the end of the third round and letting the Oil retain their pick. He must not have a lot of faith in the NHL getting it right.

I agree with the premise that its not as simple as the pick transferring or not transferring.

If it transfer, I think the Oilers should get some comp. If it doesn’t transfer, I think the flames should get some comp.

53. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Threaten to cut the pick in half. Whichever team protests and offers it up in order to save it, well they clearly love it more and therefore deserve it more.

54. Durag says:

Chelios is a Dinosaur,

I think for this to be effective you need to have them mutually agree on a player to pick in that slot, then threaten to cut him in half.

55. defmn says:

If the law is on your side argue the law.

If the law is not on your side argue the facts.

56. Harpers Hair says:

ArmchairGM: No surprises there. I think Makar will win, but I’d vote for Hughes .

Yep.

Makar got a running start in the playoffs last season and the voters will take that into account even if they shouldn’t.

57. Justthestatsman says:

Durag:
    Chelios is a Dinosaur,

Wow, I had no idea Solomon was posting on this blog!

58. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar: The situation between a work stoppage and a short season due to labor unrest (strike or lockout) and a work stoppage due to a world pandemic are vastly different.

Should the Oilers get their 4th round pick back because Green opted out?

NHL is free to make a bigger mess of it.

But they were free to put in conditions and easily could have contemplated shortened season. Not like there has never been one. No matter the cause, shortening is a general clause they reasonably could have written if protection desired.

59. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar: The league and the players are woking together to move this forward and I suspect in matters related to the team and managers it will be the same.

Grievance precedents means they had to work with the players.

Rewriting trades is something purely from Gary. Although I think the order to talk to each other about a rewrite might be Gary ducking. Next step could simply be that Gary or his delegate will hear out whoever is still complaining and then do nothing or something after hearing them out.

60. dustrock says:

defmn:
    If the law is on your side argue the law.

If the law is not on your side argue the facts.

Heh heh pretty much.

61. Bruce McCurdy says:

digger50:

Surely puts him in a high-risk status. One can imagine him going to great lengths to avoid contracting another virus at this point.

I don’t know the whole story but I know enough to respect his decision. Sucks about that draft pick, though.

62. OriginalPouzar says:

Brantford Boy:

My thoughts are the conditions were never met, done deal…

Nope, the strict conditions of the deal were not met.

Of course, the implied condition that all league teams would play 82 regular season games was also not met.

63. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar: Nope, the strict conditions of the deal were not met.

Only Gary, his minions and the teams involved can rewrite the deal. Bit of a tell that Gary’s pointing to the teams and suggesting he’ll listen if they don’t agree. Suspect he won’t wade in at the end.

64. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar: Nope, the strict conditions of the deal were not met.

Did anyone feel sorry for the Oilers when we lost a 2nd and 3rd for Pete and Todd, no they laughed and laughed at us and rubbed it in that we were a bunch of schmucks

65. N64 says:

Everyone agrees the NHL can do what they want. Everyone (I think) agrees the conditions were not met and won’t vest without the NHL intervening for whatever reasons rooted in whatever situation. Let’s not dress up this pig,

66. N64 says:

Reja: Did anyone feel sorry for the Oilers when we lost a 2nd and 3rd for Pete and Todd, no they laughed and laughed at us and rubbed it in that we werea bunch of schmucks

67. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

OriginalPouzar: the implied condition

This is the mental gymnastics I was referring to earlier. The trade contract was clear and the conditions to transfer a third round pick were not met. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

68. Darth Tu says:

Should the Oilers get their 4th round pick back because Green opted out?

So we’re looking at a potential compensation pick at the end of the 3rd and end of the 4th round now? That would be slightly fairer rather than losing both picks.

69. Victoria Oil says:

My guess is that the Oilers end up giving up their 5th round pick to Calgary this year.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

Coach T. asked if Broberg may join the team in phase 4 given Green is not available.

Of course, he was very non-committal and said it would somewhat be up to Holland.

He did speak about how good he looks in camp – its one of their first opportunities to really see him.

On that note, Rishaug tweeted out this morning about how good he looked today – I think it was Rishaug.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

Durag:
    edit: ^^^ haha, yes exactly this

72. Reja says:

N64: Actually Gary laughed at the GMs for doing that rule in the first place against his recommendations and told them he was not going to wade in to undo the consequences retroactively. No idea why he should wade into this deal. If it comes back to him thinks he listens and does squat,

73. Durag says:

74. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar: Many performance bonuses are being awarded based on pro-ration as well as games played being pro-rated for vesting years of service, etc.

Are they pro-rating for pension purposes and just assuming out of the kindness of their hearts everyone gets 82 games and closer to the magic number for a lifetime fat pension cheque.

75. Side says:

Paging Speeds.

76. OriginalPouzar says:

A follow up – as per Holland there is a chance Broberg could stick:

Daniel Nugent-Bowman
    @DNBsports
    Ken Holland says Oilers are only taking 3 G into bubble. Plan was for Broberg to go to SHL camp after Phase 3. W/ Green opting out, that might change. A determination will be made in the next 10ish days. If Broberg leaves, Oilers plan to take 9 D, 18 F, 3 G (30 total) into bubble

77. OriginalPouzar says:

Side,

Value add as always………..

78. Reja says:

Durag: I was just thinking about this the other day. If somehow this Neal decision goes against us, that’s a 2nd and two 3rds up in smoke in very short order. Maybe we drafted so badly for so long that the NHL decided we don’t deserve draft picks.

The league still owes us for the idiotic 4 on 4 rule that cost the Oilers wins and probably at least 50 points off Gretzky’s among others point totals. Without this stupid rule coming into affect solely to slow down the Oilers Glenn Anderson definitely scores 2 more goals and reaches 500.

79. OriginalPouzar says:

Brantford Boy:

I believe games played are being pro-rated in those cases.

80. OriginalPouzar says:

For some reason I can’t copy to paste but there is a section on the MOU regarding pro-ration of games played for various matters – including the 10 and 40 games thresholds.

81. OriginalPouzar says:

Gregor with a good summary of today’s scrimmage if anyone is interested:

82. deardylan says:

Is it Covid Moon 2020 (Harvest edition). I am feeling world (and me) are a bit wobbly when we are preparing for ice hockey finals in August? 😉

83. OriginalPouzar says:

digger50:

I don’t know if that puts him at any sort of great risk for COVID or risk of more serious effects if he contracts it.

84. so polar says:

Durag:

This is my favourite comment this week.

85. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar: Well, not that it matters as its his right to opt out for any reasons but, yes, he has dealt with dangerous viruses in the past that have attacked his liver and required him to miss large chunks of hockey.

It’s 100% a great risk. And as the worst stage of Coronavirus is death it’s not clear what you think is more serious than that.

86. Side says:

Side,

Value add as always………..

I do my part.

87. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Zero to do with internal matters like rewriting contracts on the fly for any perceived reasons.

88. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Nor does he. Can’t expect studies specific enough to assign risk to his exact scenario. But where this thing gets nasty is week 2 immune system storm and week 3 blood embolisms. I’d run for the exits too if I had history of multiple liver infections. immune-blood-liver. yikes.

Update: Covid knocked a 19 yr old with mono into Calgary ICU:

89. OriginalPouzar says:

Apparently the Samorukov loaning to CSKA Moscow of the KHL wasn’t official – Oilers officially announced it today.

So happy Sammy will have a place to play this fall and continue his development.

Strong prospect.

90. N64 says:

Gregor with a good summary of today’s scrimmage if anyone is interested:

“They played over seven minutes of 5×5 overtime”

~ They made it 7 minutes just to get Drai off the ice before the overtime period ended ~

91. OriginalPouzar says:

N64: Of course there is. If they hadn’t settled that they’d be back to greivance procedures.

I know that – I was just responding to the specific question on those matters and advising that, yes, they are expressly dealt with.

92. N64 says:

Yep. There were a lot of questions about the bonuses today.

Main difference is that bonuses are settled by cba directly or by grievance.

Whereas trade conditions are settled as written unless the league wants to resettle them however they want tomorrow.

93. hunter1909 says:

Having studied Defoe’s “Diary of the Plague Year” there are many many forms these pandemic viruses can take.

For example, everyone today assumes in 1665 Londoners all came down with a 3 day fever with blotchy skin which although was generally true there were multiple instances of people suddenly dropping dead on the spot showing no symptoms whatsoever.

The great Plague lasted approximately a year, then simply dissipated. The Flu epidemic of a century ago lasted a similar length of time, so its reasonable to expect the same time frame for this latest scourge to finally clear.

94. N64 says:

hunter1909:

Samuel Pepys would have been great on twitter:

@peeps123
    tweeted April 30, 1665
    Great fears of the Sickenesse here in the City. It being said that two or three houses are already shut up. God preserve us all

95. dustrock says:

N64: “They played over seven minutes of 5×5 overtime”

~ They made it 7 minutes just to get Drai off the ice before the overtime periodended ~

ha ha ha 5/5

96. dustrock says:

Regarding Mike Green, obviously we don’t know what we don’t know, but he did mention family reasons in his brief message on his decision not to attend, so if it’s not him, it’s likely someone in his family who already is or could be compromised.

97. dustrock says:

Gregor with a good summary of today’s scrimmage if anyone is interested:

Bouch bomb for the OT winner. Benson with 2 goals. dun dun DUN

98. N64 says:

hunter1909: then simply dissipated

Viruses just like to be different.
    Plague leaves immunity.
    Flu changes a lot to avoid immunity and there can be decades between pandemics.
    Coronaviruses don’t leave as persistent immunity.
    We wait.

99. digger50 says:

Bruce McCurdy: Just last season, Green missed the first 9 games due to a virus that attacked his liver, then suffered a recurrence of the virus that cost him the last 17 games of that same 2018-19 season.

thanks Bruce.

I know he does not have to defend his decision, but a little bit of info such as this certainly allows a lot more empathy to his situation.

100. N64 says:

dustrock:

Family reason is very wide open. Includes not fair to them for him to take on that personal risk.

101. hunter1909 says:

N64: Samuel Pepys would have been great on twitter:

@peeps123
    tweeted April 30, 1665

Parishes, that is, local areas used to keep a weekly death toll, that really could keep the death carts moving. In one instance the church needed to dig a tunnel so they could sneak all of the dead into their churchyard without causing a general panic.

102. defmn says:

dustrock: Bouch bomb for the OT winner.Benson with 2 goals. dun dun DUN

Gotta love hearing the young guys aren’t just there for the entertainment.

I doubt anything they do changes lineups for opening night but stuff happens and coaches are paid to remember these things.

hunter1909:

The Black Death hung around for a lot longer than a year.

2020 isn’t over. The Black Death has been found recently in Mongolia in animals and has killed a teenager.

And recently found in a squirrel in Colorado,

104. OriginalPouzar says:

N64: NHL is free to make a bigger mess of it.

Has there ever been a season cut short other than due to labor stoppage (which wasn’t an option this year) since 1919 and the Spanish Flu?

105. OriginalPouzar says:

N64: Actually the trade contract implies nothing about the length of the season. No more than it implies any other fact in the CBA. It’s for the league to decide that “fairness” means rewriting things.

There hasn’t been a shortened season without labor stoppage in 100 years (I think) and there was no chance of a labor stoppage – I’m quite confident both Holland and Treliving made the deal with no thought that there teams would play less than 82 regular season games.

This is a very unique situation and there is no “right answer” in my mind.

106. Brantford Boy says:

N64,

Seems to me like you’ve been holding onto this like a loaded shotgun to release it for some time… ugh, thanks for the update… back to my vodka…

107. OriginalPouzar says:

N64: The situations are different, but that’s not germane to whether or not there is an implied condition for season length.

I believe that the NHL should intervene.

Taking off my Oilers-colored glasses, I don’t believe the black and white route is equitable in this circumstance.

108. Brantford Boy says:

N64,

Uh… more… thanks… I’ll make another drink…

109. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey: This is the mental gymnastics I was referring to earlier.The trade contract was clear and the conditions to transfer a third round pick were not met.Seems pretty clear cut to me.

I don’t agree its clear cut – my reasons are cited in this thread (and previous).

I think to deem it clear cut is a biased position.

110. Side says:

godot10: The Black Death hung around for a lot longer than a year.

2020 isn’t over.The Black Death has been found recently in Mongolia in animals and has killed a teenager.

And recently found in a squirrel in Colorado,

The plague has always been popping up but it is easily struck back down. It’s easily identified and treated.

Not sure why your posts related to diseases or infections are so fear mongering.

111. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: I agree just don’t get why so called fans are lobbying for us to lose the pic. If Holland loses this pick without putting up a fight to the death he should be fired on the spot and replaced with someone who has the better interest of the club at hand.

Noone is lobbying for the Oilers to give up the pick.

Of course I’d love for the league to rule that the pick stays and the flames get nothing. I don’t think that will happen because, trying to be non-biased, I don’t think that is equitable in the circumstances.

The above statement, to me, shows your opinion on the matter is based on Oiler bias and what is best for the Oilers.

I’d prefer what’s best for the Oilers but don’t think it’s the “right decision”.

112. Brantford Boy says:

Side,

Like N64… good grief…

113. BONE207 says:

dustrock: Yeah, I get that argument.There’s always the “slippery slope” argument for anything.

But if you were say Smith needing 1 more game to get a games played bonus, was it probable he would play one more game in the last 4-6 weeks?Probably, yeah.

114. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar: Any position that Treliving should have put in some sort of “shortened season” clause in to the trade condition is propagating a very biased view in my opinion.

Trev’s lawyers should know better than to think that’s not a relevant contingency to cover. They did not cover it. Now they’re into asking Gary for something. Maybe he gives them something., Maybe he doesn’t

115. Profit says:

godot10,

The bubonic plague is endemic to the Western US. This is not new.

It is easily and successfully treated with Gentamicin and fluoroquinolones (as suggested by the CDC).

There’s a lot of things to worry about in 2020, but the plague isn’t one of them.

116. OriginalPouzar says:

BONE207: I like the view of: Neal didn’t get 21 & Luc didn’t get 11. Numbers are black and white. Projecting what could have been could also be taken from their previous 10 games in which Luc would have scored 5 more as well while Neal did not score any. Season ended due to unfortunate circumstances but that affected everyone. Did you & I get bonus payments or even a cheque saying this is what you likely would have made? What about the employees at the rink, the owner & teams. Covid fucked us all, let’s all suffer a little.

We can’t project that the conditions would have vest. We can’t project that they wouldn’t have. Each projection has a semblance of reasonableness. This is the normal trade parameter – the pick goes or it stays – doesn’t work in this instance – in my opinion.

To answer your question regarding bonuses, as they relate to NHL contracts, yes, the league is doing just that……

117. OriginalPouzar says:

N64: Don’t know why you drag it back to covid. Shortened seasons are recent. Recent enough to have gone through cba grievance.

Of course I drag it back to Covid because that is the situation.

I 100% disagree with the latter paragraph. There was zero chance of a shortened season due to labor unrest, zero – the only reason a season has been cut short in 100 years.

Inserting a clause regarding the season being less than 82 games would not have been a reasonable consideration.

118. hunter1909 says:

HUNTER1909 2020 PLAYOFF DEATH MARCH™

TO JOIN THE HUNDREDS OF PREVIOUS AND CURRENT PLAYERS SIMPLY GO HERE:

Free to play! It’s easy! It’s fun!

119. dustrock says:

hunter1909:
    HUNTER1909 2020 PLAYOFF DEATH MARCH™

TO JOIN THE HUNDREDS OF PREVIOUS AND CURRENT PLAYERS SIMPLY GO HERE:

Free to play! It’s easy! It’s fun!

I love the optimism!

120. Munny says:

Considering that force majeure clauses are pretty common in the real world, I’d say the lack of one in NHL contracts and trade agreements is either laziness or hubris on part of either the NHL or it’s legal team.

The fact they didn’t think to include one in their massive TV contracts—on which they are existentially dependent for revenue—is revealing.

They know they have no defense against any plaintiff for non-performance due to Covid. There isn’t a court of law anywhere that would back the NHL… “well, it’s never happened to us before”.

But it has happened in other businesses and other sports. Ostrich heads buried in the sand is not a defense.

Unfortunately for the Oil, their case won’t be heard in a court of law, but by the very same idiots who thought these types of things were unnecessary in the first place.

#asscovering

121. giarc says:

Munny,

The CBA had force majeure clauses. Apparently the fact that the league never threatened to use it provided a lot of goodwill towards the players in the new The CBA negotiation. As the previous CBA was written it “grants owners the power to negotiate different salary figures for players in the event that the league suspends operations because of a “state of war or other cause beyond the control of the league or of the club.”

122. Winahgahmee says:

Thanks for all you do LT and people. Man oh man it is slowly starting to get exciting just reading about hockey practice, ha ha. Tally ho!

123. Munny says:

giarc,

So shortened seasons had been previously contemplated.

Thank you. It was difficult to believe they hadn’t been.

124. defmn says:

Munny:
    giarc,

So shortened seasons had been previously contemplated.

Thank you. It was difficult to believe they hadn’t been.

Apparently, though, from all the rumours the league failed to insert such a clause into the contracts with their media partners.

125. €√¥£€^$ says:

So…..I cancelled our tv service a few months ago, the only reason I had it was for watching the hockey (it was really cheap because will live in a new development and Telus and Shaw trip all over themselves for new customers). I live in Calgary & am looking to be able to watch later, since I am driving for about 12 hrs on the 1st.

Any suggestions other than getting cable again?

Any suggestions are much appreciated

126. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

€√¥£€^$,

I cut the cord about five years ago. Was a great decision, haven’t looked back.

There are plenty of places you can watch the games online or you can pay for a streaming service through Sportsnet or the NHL. I use the former options which often are mirrors of the latter.

127. N64 says:

Brantford Boy:
    N64,

Actually Hunter reminded me of Pepys when he mentioned Dafoe. Though they showed up in survey courses, fortunately did not have to read either of them. That Pepys “tweet” was apparently his first diary entry when the plague hit his neighborhood. Sorry to disappoint but quote was just as new to me today.

128. N64 says:

Brantford Boy:
    N64,

Uh… more… thanks… I’ll make another drink…

OK that was gloomy. But sorry if any one’s betting on herd immunity we just don’t know if getting it a year later will be rare or typical. Coronaviruses in general seem to circle back.

But some good news, I’m done for the month. Keep safe.

129. N64 says:

Brantford Boy:
    Side,

Like N64… good grief…

Nope. Mentioned the Buibonic plague isn’t a moving target. As others have mentioned very treatable. Years ago there’d be the odd European traveler come back with it from an Arizona trip and the connection was made too late to the travel, but plague is about bottom of the list as a threat for a long time now.

130. €√¥£€^$ says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Okay, thanks.

Not being tech savvy, I thought streaming meant you can only watch games live. I’d read you could only go back 30 seconds, so I don’t know if you can watch “on demand”.

NEW for The Athletic: Zack Kassian’s role on Oilers top line must include responsible play

132. frjohnk says:

€√¥£€^$:
    BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Okay, thanks.

Not being tech savvy, I thought streaming meant you can only watch games live.I’d read you could only go back 30 seconds, so I don’t know if you can watch “on demand”.

I was contemplating cutting cable and just buying Sportsnet now for a few months. Then I finally pulled the trigger and got Sportsnet Now. The next day, they shut down the season. ?‍♂️.

But it turned out well. I watched a bunch of old games thru the service. Some on tv. Some on my phone with the app.

You can watch it live.

And they also have a replay section. I believe it shows games that were Streamed in the last 24 hours.
    Currently they have rugby game, a blue jays rewind game from 16 and a blue jays instrasquad game on in this section.

I believe it’s $20 a month and you can cancel anytime.

133. €√¥£€^$ says:

frjohnk: I was contemplating cutting cable and just buying Sportsnet now for a few months. Then I finally pulled the trigger and got Sportsnet Now. The next day, they shut down the season. .

You can watch it live.

I believe it’s $20 a month and you can cancel anytime.

Okay, from what I gathered I would be able to watch the same day, but I likely misunderstood.