Saddle Up the Palomino

Adam Larsson is an important player for the Edmonton Oilers in the upcoming 2020 playoffs. Larsson, along with Oscar Klefbom, Darnell Nurse and Ethan Bear, is going to spend 10 days with his head on a swivel trying to (borrowing a phrase from Craig MacTavish) take a drink from a firehose. Patrick Kane is coming to town, and that my friends is an assignment.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

ROSTER TALK

Daniel Nugent-Bowman is doing great work for The Athletic covering the Oilers training camp. Among his tweets yesterday was a passage involving the math of the roster. Quoting DNB: “If Broberg leaves, Oilers plan to take 9 D, 18 F, 3 G (30 total) into bubble.”

Although Caleb Jones hasn’t yet played, there’s a sense from reporting that he will in fact join the group in the coming days. A depth chart that includes the current top four and Russell-Benning-Jones for the third pairing is solid. Bouchard and Lagesson would stand at the ready. Sounds like Broberg is adjusting well and maybe we see him in the bubble. The lines have a logic and reason to them, the lack of a second or third pre-tournament game is annoying as hell but compromises were necessary.

I wrote about Zack Kassian today at The Athletic, looking at his strengths and what he needs to improve upon in order to hang on that top line. Kassian’s 2019-20 season is an amazing snapshot of a player whose considerable skills got him drafted in the first round back in 2009. He’s one of Edmonton’s top right wingers over a decade later. Interesting story and a season we need to talk about because it’s such an outlier.

Larsson is a key player for Edmonton, zero doubt in my mind. His calm feet during the stretch run contributed a great deal to Edmonton’s success. His five on five on ice goal differential in the final 10 games of the season was 11-5. Music!

DMITRI SAMORUKOV

Interesting evaluation tweak from the Holland regime may point to a different philosophy being implemented in the Oilers development template. Samorukov ended his junior career in fine fashion:

• Brock Otten, OHL Prospects: The Samorukov that we saw in the second half really didn’t have much in terms of a weakness. He had cleaned up his play with the puck, establishing himself as a premier puck rusher and play creator. He was aggressive in jumping up looking to get himself shooting chances, but he did so intelligently. He continued to be a physical force in his own end, but exhibited way more patience defensively. It all came together and it was damn exciting to watch.

His AHL adjustment was slow, and his mid-season/end of season splits suggest he wasn’t playing a feature role:

• First 25 games: 15-16 even strength goal differential, five points, 12:51 estimated time on ice in all situations.
  • Final 22 games: 13-18 even strength goal differential, five points, 14:14 estimated time on ice in all situations.

The expected ‘next step’ would be a move up in Bakersfield, but the Holland Oilers have made this move in an effort to improve the player in a different way. Innovative? Will we see Samorukov again? Was that incredible back half of his final junior season real? Stay turned. Sincere thanks to Eric Rodgers for stats and estimates.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A big day on TSN1260, we start at 10 this morning. Geoff Ullrich from Draft Kings will pop by to talk golf, and that includes Tiger Woods at the Memorial this weekend. Kristen Anderson from the Calgary Sun and Herald will join us to give us the state of the Flames as they get ready for the playoffs. We’ll also devote a large portion of the show to the Daniel Snyder news this morning. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

150 Responses to "Saddle Up the Palomino"

1. hunter1909 says:

HUNTER 1909 DEATH MARCH™

register free here:

2. cowboy bill says:

Don’t worry about Nuge . He will be even better with McDavid than he was with Leon . And Leon will be just fine with AA or Ennis on his left side along with Yamo on his right . The left side is strong , come to think of it so is the right side .

3. cowboy bill says:

I really like that line up . It could go a long way .

4. hickey99 says:

Can’t wait for the play in round to start. Watched the oilers drw game 6 last night. What a great run that was. The team was much more than it’s parts. I hope this team can catch that same lightning.

5. cowboy bill says:

Really they could just put Nuge back in the middle and go with something like this .

AA-McDavid-Kassian
    Ennis-Leon-Yamo
    JJ-Nuge-Arch
    Neal-Sheahan-Chaisson
    Nygard-Haas-Russell
    Benson-McLeod-Marody

Might be something Tip could keep in his back pocket . Although I do like Nuge on LW don’t get me wrong . But they have the depth to play him at center also .

6. BONE207 says:

Palomino…I made wine from those grapes once. I hope this Oilers team plays in the covid cup the way that wine played in my head. Will there be any articles about Grenache?

7. Brantford Boy says:

hickey99,

I’m a little behind, just watched the recording of the 2006 DRW game 3 last night…

I have the Stars as:
    * Pronger
    ** Smyth
    *** Uneven Net (or Stoll)

Perhaps a Captain Obvious statement: Larsson will be a filthy beast in the playoffs! Looking forward to him mauling Toews from the behind the net and out of the crease…

8. OriginalPouzar says:

I think it was Dusty and Eric yesterday that were discussing who is the most important Oiler in these playoffs after, McDavid and Leon.

Excluding goaltending, in my head, Adam Larsson is right up there. Part of the reason has been his inconsistency over the last couple of years but, when I think about it, the 2017 Larsson, which is also the 2020 Larsson (so far) makes this team so much better than I have him up there in importance.

What a wonderful player when he is peaking – not to play against, of course!

9. McNuge93 says:

Brantford Boy,

Hemsky has got to be one of the stars. May be for only 5 minutes worth of work, but what a great five minutes that was.

10. dustrock says:

Or with Nuge you can switch 93 & 29 if you want to load Drai, McDavid and Kassian if the Oilers are down by a 3rd, then you can still have AA-Nuge-Yamamotor

11. OriginalPouzar says:

“The lines have a logic and reason to them….”

I agree with this statement.

I get the angst with taking Nuge off of, and breaking up, the best line in hockey over a two month stretch and, initially, I was disappointed with it as well.

At the same time, I think I understand what the coaching staff is trying to do.

Ennis has the ability to play in the top 6 but, over the last few years, he’s been able to produce in the middle 6/3rd line and has a good 2-way game that could/should fit in that line.

If AA works on the Drai line then there is a real and true balance to those lines.

If AA doesn’t work, well, coach T has the option to, well, just put Nuge back there and, frankly, I don’t think they need a training camp together to “reinvent the chemistry” – I think they will just re-click.

Can’t wait to see some real games – its not far away.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

From my viewings (if i can remember them correctly, it seems so long ago), Sammy sure did have an up and down year. It took him a while to adjust to the pro game – for example, his super aggresive gap control where he would constantly step up at the blue line exposed him at the pro game and he had to learn to pick hims spots better.

With that said, he really took a few steps up mid-way through the season and was playing some very solid hockey – until he had the facial injury – when he came back, the team was a mess and his game didn’t recover to pre-injury levels.

Overall, a reasonable development season for a first year pro d-man in the AHL.

The plan would have been top 4 minutes and both special teams all year in the Bake and I would have expected a solid development year.

I am very happy there is a place for his to play this fall (presumably) and the KHL is a great league for a d-man to develop – just hope he gets the playing time.

13. OriginalPouzar says:

On that note, I wonder if there is any chance that the likes of Lennstrom and/or Niemelainen re-sign back in the SHL and Liiga, respectively, and get loaned – on the understanding they would come back to North America when hockey starts up again in December (presumably)?

I’m guessing it doesn’t happen but it would be disappointing if those two (among others) didn’t have a place to play from September to December (or later).

14. hunter1909 says:

Since 2016…Hunter1909’s Death March™

Accepting new and returning Players here:

Returning Players are requested to retain their original Death March™ Names, for continuity purposes only.

Free! Easy! Free! Easy! Free! Easy!

15. Brantford Boy says:

McNuge93,

He did have a good game, no question… honestly, it was hard for me to leave Winchester off the list… yes Brad Winchester… great game!

16. Elgin R says:

‘I like the lines, well, that’s not true, I like the lines except Nuge had such a good thing going with LD and KY. Why does Nuge have to be the responsible one all the damned time?’

Because he is the one player that can and will do it without any complaints. A good comparison would be Ryan O’Reilly. Regular Season: Nuge = .733 PPG / O’Reilly = .697 PPG. Playoffs: Nuge = .308 / O’Reilly = .769 (.539 in Colorado and .885 in St. Louis). O’Reilly has better playoff numbers. However, if The Nuge plays in the top 6 as a winger and on the #1 PP in the league his playoff PPG should go up.

The Nuge can score and defend and that makes him invaluable for a playoff run. #keepnugeforever

17. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Not to look too far into the future, but I have been mulling some line-up possibilities for Dec. 1. Further to this thinking: the key needs for the line-up are “1 more top 6 winger” and 3C.

The main point is based on around the possibility of AA at 3C. Unfortunately, I don’t know enough of his history at C. He is listed as LW/C/RW, but did he play much at C in Detroit? Did he have any success there?

RNH-McDavid-Kassian
    Ennis-Leon-Yamo
    Nygaard-AA-Arch
    Neal-JJ-Chia
    Haas

1st line in minors:
    Benson-McLeod-Marody

Also dependent on this thinking is if Ennis can stick around and perform at 2LW.
    Maybe Benson could fit in on 2LW (As posted here with super small sample size he had some success with Drai…)

Anyway…think of the speed of this possible 3rd line
    Nygaard-AA-Arch

18. Elgin R says:

Looking for a big playoffs from Adam Larsson. In the 2017 playoffs he was the highest scoring defencemen in goals and points as well as 8th overall for the Oilers. Larsson allows Bear to give Nurse an additional passing option to go along with skating the puck out. Bear has been a revelation and the defence solidified upon Larsson’s return to form. GOG

19. flea says:

Coach Tippett has done a phenomenal job with the lines and goalies this year so I trust his decisions. I believe we’ve seen him try lines in practice and then go right back to the standard in the games so I wouldn’t be suprised to see these lines broken up by game 1. It’s early in TC – why not try something new? At worst it’s coverage for possible injuries if the team can flex and adapt their lineup. Can also mess with matchups for the other team.

20. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

GordieHoweHatTrick,

Others have mentioned AA isn’t a natural centreman. Based on his raw career totals and FOW% I’d agree with that sentiment.

Season GP FOW FOL FO%
    2015-16 37 53 76 41.1
    2016-17 64 37 46 44.6
    2017-18 71 106 149 41.6
    2018-19 76 171 228 42.9
    2019-20 55 43 60 41.7

Source:

21. Dee Dee says:

Coaches will never “Lock” a lineup, especially this early.

All that does is give your opponents a way to figure out strategies to use against your team and come up with the best way to defend/attack against it.

In any given game there will be players who are in the zone and playing at their peak abilities and others who are having off nights or are fighting injuries.

Why saddle any line with a player who isn’t playing at the level as the rest of the line?

And it will depend on your opponent too. McDavid and Yamo’s third will vary according to who they are playing. Is it a fast team, physical team, hard fore-checking team? Pick the best third guy.

Any set lineup survives about 3 minutes in a game.

22. Darth Tu says:

“Why does Nuge have to be the responsible one all the damned time?”

I bet at least 70% of this is because Nuge wants to be. He strikes me as the kind of player that is definitely more in the “ask not what the Oilers can do for Nuge, but what Nuge can do for the Oilers” camp.

Plus if it’s not working out after a game against the Blackhawks then Tippet can always load up and throw Nuge back with Drai/Yam.

23. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    GordieHoweHatTrick,

Others have mentioned AA isn’t a natural centreman.Based on his raw career totals and FOW% I’d agree with that sentiment.

Season GP FOW FOL FO%
    2015-163753 76 41.1
    2016-176437 46 44.6
    2017-1871106 149 41.6
    2018-1976171 228 42.9
    2019-2055 4360 41.7

Source:

Thanks!

24. ArmchairGM says:

cowboy bill:

5v5 with Draisaitl: 3.21 P/60, 61.64 GF%, 53.89 xGF%, 635:07 TOI
    5v5 with McDavid: 2.31 P/60, 57.14 GF%, 48.88 xGF%, 648:58 TOI

Interestingly, Draisaitl was also better with Nugent-Hopkins than he was with McDavid over the past 3 seasons:

5v5 with Nugent-Hopkins: 3.68 P/60, 61.64 GF%, 53.89 xGF%, 635:07 TOI
    5v5 with McDavid: 3.07 P/60, 54.22 GF%, 51.41 xGF%, 1857:31 TOI

I understand what Tippett is trying to do here, but I’m not sure I agree with it. I’d rather he used TC to try and develop chemistry between Athanasiou and McDavid.

Dropping your underpants in front of a random woman qualifies one for the Lady Byng Award. Who knew?

26. defmn says:

godot10:
    Dropping your underpants in front of a random woman qualifies one for the Lady Byng Award.Who knew?

godot10:

Shame on the Professional Hockey Writers.

28. Munny says:

defmn,

The List:

• Fully torn PCL (posterior cruciate ligament).

• Torn medial and lateral menisci.

• Fully torn popliteus muscle.

• Complete tear of the posterior capsule.

• Tibial plateau fracture.

• Decided on non-surgical route.

• Pioneering multi-discipline rehab process.

• More than 1,000 hours over 179 days to return to lineup.

_______

Courtesy of Terry Jones.

29. defmn says:

Munny:
    defmn,

The List:

• Fully torn PCL (posterior cruciate ligament).

• Torn medial and lateral menisci.

• Fully torn popliteus muscle.

• Complete tear of the posterior capsule.

• Tibial plateau fracture.

• Decided on non-surgical route.

• Pioneering multi-discipline rehab process.

• More than 1,000 hours over 179 days to return to lineup.

_______

Courtesy of Terry Jones.

30. ArmchairGM says:

Darth Tu:
    “Why does Nuge have to be the responsible one all the damned time?”

I bet at least 70% of this is because Nuge wants to be.He strikes me as the kind of player that is definitely more in the “ask not what the Oilers can do for Nuge, but what Nuge can do for the Oilers” camp.

31. Eh Team says:

OriginalPouzar: A defensive conscious to the McDavid line is important considering the goals against in recent times.

Yeah, as great as McDavid is, he isn’t able to carry two wingers, not when he is matched against the other teams best players. His line should be outscoring everyone he plays against over time and consistently. So that means at least one quality line mate and that’s Nuge at present.

32. pts2pndr says:

ArmchairGM: I can’t agree with that. Over the past 3 years Nugent-Hopkins has played with both men and his results are not better with McDavid:

5v5 with Draisaitl: 3.21 P/60, 61.64 GF%, 53.89 xGF%, 635:07 TOI
    5v5 with McDavid: 2.31 P/60, 57.14 GF%, 48.88 xGF%, 648:58 TOI

5v5 with Nugent-Hopkins: 3.68 P/60, 61.64 GF%, 53.89 xGF%, 635:07 TOI
    5v5 with McDavid: 3.07 P/60, 54.22 GF%, 51.41 xGF%, 1857:31 TOI

That is how I see it and the coach may as well. Nudge on the first line may just be a red herring so to speak.

33. Munny says:

defmn: Yeah. I doubt McDavid cares about the award itself but it is shameful that the writers didn’t acknowledge it.

Well, I’m pretty sure the rule states: “only one finalist from west of the Mississippi will be allowed for each of the NHL awards”.

34. Darth Tu says:

ArmchairGM: That’s the way I played as a kid – always skated harder on the backcheck than the forecheck – so they stuck me on defense. Worked for me.

Offense is fun and all. I used to play wing or forward in soccer for years, then switched to full back, or wing back (depending on formation) and found I really enjoyed that side of the game more. There’s something really satisfying about still making good offensive plays, but also having that real defensive responsibility.

Plus being a bit of a troll it was always fun to frustrate opposing wingers and try to keep them completely out of the game.

Nuge is a stud, I really hope we sign him to an extension in the sooner rather than later land. Even taking into account the expansion draft for Seattle I’d rather have him locked up and then protected. It might mean exposing a player we are also keen on keeping, but I feel Nuge still has 6 or 7 years of top 6 play left (at least) in him.

Kailer goes RFA at the end of 2021-22 doesn’t he? Assuming we can lock him up as well as Nuge that means we have at least another 6 years of McD, Drai, Yam and Nuge in the top 6. I’m more than happy with that.

35. mumbai max says:

Matthews does not take penalties because he plays powder puff hockey. To compare him to RoR is a complete joke. Of course if he wins the Lady B, I would never chalk this up to an NHL conspiracy ?

36. Munny says:

37. hunter1909 says:

Munny:

This is getting interesting.

38. Munny says:

NHL shield will replace Oilers logo at Rogers center ice.

39. Eh Team says:

Munny: Eskimos survey of the northern native communities has revealed that they are supportive of the team’s name and take its use as a matter of pride (as it should be).

Of course they will have to change the name. It’s just a matter of time. And frankly embarrassing that they don’t.

40. Durag says:

defmn: But recovering from a potentially career ending injury to be 2nd in scoring for the season doesn’t warrant a Masterton nomination.

Wow, that’s absurd.

41. doritogrande says:

godot10:

Let’s not forget about O’Reilly’s shady acquittal of ramming a small town Timmies and attempting to flee.

42. Munny says:

Spector on ON: Broberg’s speed has really stood out for him, discussing the speed at TC>

43. digger50 says:

Eh Team: Of course they will have to change the name.It’s just a matter of time.And frankly embarrassing that they don’t.

Maybe Canadians don’t want to be called Canucks so that name falls. Blue Bombers don’t want to be associated with bombers so that name falls

I don’t know anymore,, but it seems we keep moving forward and try to keep as many folks happy as possible. Its never 100%.

44. digger50 says:

I think Adam Larson will be back. Hes all business.

Drai had an unbelievable season. Hes a full load on his own, and you cant take anything away from him.

BUT – If having Nuge on the first line allows you to turn a well rested, fully recovered Connor McDavid loose, that is a game breaker. In Leon’s words, “Its not even fair.”

45. defmn says:

Giving in to bullies just tends to make bullies more aggressive.

As it was and forever will be.

46. Reja says:

Well you better get out there with your sign and make a difference.

47. Darth Tu says:

Munny:

Source please. I’d love to read this survey.

48. Harpers Hair says:

digger50: I don’t know about embarrassing. Things change. At one time it was non issue now they may have to adapt.

Never confuse motion with progress.

Often it’s like a rocking chair….it gives you something to do but doesn’t get you anywhere.

49. dustrock says:

Darth Tu: Source please. I’d love to read this survey.

50. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: Never confuse motion with progress.

51. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909 Death March™ Impress everyone with your mad predicting ability!

sign in here when you follow the link and easy instructions, and it’s Free!

Contest remain open until puck drop in under three weeks.

TIP: Returning Players make sure to keep your regular names for continuity; since 2016 Death March™ has provided the finest entertainment

52. Shane says:

Reja: Well you better get out there with your sign and make a difference.

Always start with empathy.

If something someone is doing is offensive to someone else than discussion and learning on either side is key.

I don’t see how you ridiculing people that protest adds any value to this conversation.

Those people with signs are exercising their democratic freedoms. And you damn well know they can make a change.

53. defmn says:

Shane: Always start with empathy.

Protest is an important right in democracies.

So is ridicule.

54. Shane says:

dustrock: “handpicked self-identified Eskimos fans living in Nunavut agreed the name is fine”

The fix is in!

55. Darth Tu says:

I’m also wondering – I’ve done the obligatory quick internet search and I’m seeing nothing about results for a new survey. In terms of EE news, it seems to be chat about the Abacus survey that went out in the last week (still being processed), and then chat about another sponsor pulling out. The only reference I could find to a survey in the north was the original one from a few years back.

Are we talking about that initial survey? If there’s a new one, fantastic. Hopefully it’s a little less opaque and we can see how the data is derived – relevant to whatever way the findings run.

56. Shane says:

defmn: Protest is an important right in democracies.

So is ridicule.

You’re right. I find it absolutely ridiculous that people get all worked up and angry about a football team changing their name to be more inclusive..

57. Darth Tu says:

Harpers Hair: Never confuse motion with progress.

At the same time don’t just stick with something because “that’s the way it’s always been”. That doesn’t make it automatically correct/acceptable.

58. Durag says:

This place functions waayyyyyy better as a forum for discussing the Oilers over politics or public health policy.

Just sayin 😉

59. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Durag:

Just sayin ?

16 MORE DAYS TO GO!

60. Darth Tu says:

Durag:

Just sayin

61. Durag says:

Darth Tu: I come here for politics, health policy, and to learn about the Vancouver Canucks prospects. Is the blog actually about the Oilers?! WHAT?

You’ve gotta dig for the Oilers stuff, but once you find it it’s really good!

62. defmn says:

Shane: You’re right. I find it absolutely ridiculous that people get all worked up and angry about a friggin football team changing their name to be more inclusive..

I agree. Getting all worked up about a sports team’s name is silly.

63. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

But this issue is a bit of a concern:

I really hope teams and families are being disciplined in their social distancing.

64. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

I found this to be a rather insightful article on the EE name….

JT is a well spoken man.

65. Harpers Hair says:

Darth Tu: At the same time don’t just stick with something because “that’s the way it’s always been”.That doesn’t make it automatically correct/acceptable.

What is correct and acceptable?

Who chooses?

In our current panic over not offending anyone’s feelings, you will never be able to satisfy the bullies as noted above.

They’ll slay one dragon and move on to the next.

It’s rarely about “justice”…it’s about power.

66. defmn says:

GordieHoweHatTrick:
    I found this to be a rather insightful article on the EE name….

JT is a well spoken man.

I think it is more likely that JT has a well spoken PR person.

And that is not a criticism.

In his position that is exactly what I would do in these acrimonious times. One slip of the tongue and the wolves come out.

67. Darth Tu says:

Harpers Hair: What is correct and acceptable?

Who chooses?

They’ll slay one dragon and move on to the next.

It’s rarely about “justice”…it’s about power.

On the justice and power thing, that goes the other way as well. Why should we as a society continue on down any one path with no change? Oh that’s right, to keep power in the hands of certain elements.

Bullies – you do realise that if you’re sticking with an offensive name you’re bullying an entire group of people (if they view said name as offensive).

Who chooses – At the end of the day the people choosing – whether you agree with it or not – will be fans. If they decide to stop going to games and/or buying merch if the team keeps it’s name that’s probably going to be enough for the organization to change it.

I do agree though change for the sake of change isn’t a good thing. In the case of the Edmonton name, a change very well might be the right thing. Plus if it becomes Edmonton Edmontonsaurii then we can move forward with the Oilers changing names to the Edmonton Ornithomimus, or if you don’t like that, Edmonton Oligosaurus (if you squint it almost says oil).

68. Darth Tu says:

Darth Tu,

Vancouver gets to the Carcharodontosaurus. Look at these clever girls.

69. Reja says:

Shane: Always start with empathy.

Calm down don’t get your knickers in a knot have a snickers it helps.

70. Durag says:

Ryan Rishaug
    @TSNRyanRishaug
    Sources tell TSN an internal decision has been made, the Edmonton Eskimos will be changing their name. An announcement could come as early as next week.

Well there you go, over and dealt with.

71. Darth Tu says:

Durag:
    Ryan Rishaug
    @TSNRyanRishaug
    Sources tell TSNan internal decision has been made, the Edmonton Eskimos will be changing their name.An announcement could come as early as next week.

Well there you go, over and dealt with.

EDMONTOSAURII

72. Harpers Hair says:

Darth Tu: I don’t think drawing your line in the sand where you say enough is enough, no change should be around a name that could be considered to be offensive in nature. Washington’s name should be changed. Cleveland need to change.

My point was it will become an endless hamster wheel of new things we will become outraged against because someone might be offended.

Just heard a call on the radio for the Avalanche to change their name because people get killed by avalanches.

Of course, the Flames name is tied to the burning of Atlanta during the civil war….gotta go.

The Stampeders get their name from an event where animals are abused….gotta go.

The Roughriders commemorate a violent war victory….gotta go.

Bombers?

And on it goes.

73. Durag says:

Darth Tu: EDMONTOSAURII

74. Harpers Hair says:

Sure…scare the children.

75. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

defmn: I think it is more likely that JT has a well spoken PR person.

And that is not a criticism.

Maybe. But he has also given excellent interviews including a special story about him on HNIC.

76. Eh Team says:

Durag: My vote is for Roughriders. I don’t feel comfortable having a 1 Roughriders league

Half of Saskatchewan is in Alberta anyway.

77. Darth Tu says:

Harpers Hair: Sure…scare the children.

Do you have any children? We love dinosaurs.

78. Darth Tu says:

Roughriders v Rough Riders finals were the stuff of legend.

defmn:
    Anybody know if Jones was in the main group today at practice?

Off day for on-ice for the Oilers today.

80. defmn says:

godot10,

Thanks. I just remembered and deleted before you answered. I guess the focus on the Eskimos should have been a clue but I am old and the clues aren’t as obvious as they used to be. 😉

81. OriginalPouzar says:

Listening to Spector and Stauffer rave about Broberg today was heartening to hear.

Apparently his improvement from practice/scrimmage 1 to 2 to 3 was substantial.

Stauf event went so far as to suggest that if they do decide to bring him to Phase 4, even though they wouldn’t play him except in an emergency, and the Oilers go on a bit of run, maybe they keep him in North America for next year in the AHL.

No inside info from Bob – he was just spitballing.

This is great to hear. I would personally caution that we see, year after year after year, young talented players look very good in camp, in particular guys with speed. Guys like McLeod and Broberg will generally stand out an NHL camp (as McLeod did last year but was clearly in need of a couple year in the AHL).

Good arrows though for sure.

82. OriginalPouzar says:

Elgin R:
    Looking for a big playoffs from Adam Larsson.In the 2017 playoffs he was the highest scoring defencemen in goals and points as well as 8th overall for the Oilers.Larsson allows Bear to give Nurse an additional passing option to go along with skating the puck out.Bear has been a revelation and the defence solidified upon Larsson’s return to form.GOG

Larsson continuing where he left off in March, which was in-line with 2017 Larsson, is a key to this team’s success.

It solidifies the top 4 and allows Coaches T. and P. to roll both of those top two pairings against any level of comp.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

flea:

From most accounts, and reading between the words from the coaches mouth himself, while, yes, its early in camp and its a bit about experimenting, the plan is indeed to use the current structure of the lines.

Sure, if AA just doesn’t click on that second line at all, I’m sure coach T will switch it up but that may just mean a flip of AA and Ennis and keeping Nuge with Connor.

As we know, at any moment in time, he could just re-unite the best line in hockey from 2020 and I’m sure Nuge would have no issue re-adjusting back to playing with Drai and Kailer.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    GordieHoweHatTrick,

Season GP FOW FOL FO%
    2015-163753 76 41.1
    2016-176437 46 44.6
    2017-1871106 149 41.6
    2018-1976171 228 42.9
    2019-2055 4360 41.7

Source:

I don’t think AA has been very good in his career at center but I’d stop short of using faceoff percentage as the primary reason for that – if so then McDavid and Nuge aren’t very good centers…….

I don’t think AA has a future as a center on the Oilers – I think he’s played enough of the position in the NHL and his various coaches have seen enough of him at center in the NHL to know that, just like Taylor Hall and Ryan Smyth, he is a winger.

85. Durag says:

Could Nuge with 97 be a Chicago-specific strategy to go power v power with the Toews line?

86. OriginalPouzar says:

Darth Tu:
    “Why does Nuge have to be the responsible one all the damned time?”

I’d go so far as to change that last sentence to read:

Plus if it’s not working out after a period against the Blackhawks then Tippet can always load up and throw Nuge back with Drai/Yam.

87. Darth Tu says:

OriginalPouzar,

A fair edit, and more likely than waiting a game if we’re losing by a goal or two.

88. OriginalPouzar says:

I find it very hard to argue against the “nomination” of any of the three and I do happen to agree that each of them are more “deserving” of the award this year than McDavid – no offence to Connor.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

Almost 2 years away from the game dealing with post-concussion syndrome – could’t have the lights on for large portions. Suicidal

Recovery from cancer

Recover from addiction – life threatening.

No offence to Connor but I don’t think recognizing the other three is not acknowledging Connor – all three are very very worthy.

90. OriginalPouzar says:

Darth Tu: Offense is fun and all. I used to play wing or forward in soccer for years, then switched to full back, or wing back (depending on formation) and found I really enjoyed that side of the game more.There’s something really satisfying about still making good offensive plays, but also having that real defensive responsibility.

Nuge is a stud, I really hope we sign him to an extension in the sooner rather than later land.Even taking into account the expansion draft for Seattle I’d rather have him locked up and then protected.It might mean exposing a player we are also keen on keeping, but I feel Nuge still has 6 or 7 years of top 6 play left (at least) in him.

I agree on re-signing Nuge.

I’m one that believe the expansion draft needs to be a factor in any player transaction dating back a year ago but, at the same time, acknowledging the expansion draft ramifications, if the team could sign Nuge to a reasonable extension (for both the team and the player), say 5-6 year at 6.5M-$7M (assuming somewhat normal NHL economics), I’d be all over that.

I totally understand the benefit of waiting until after the expansion draft but this is a glue player on this team and I would like to remove the risk that waiting would create.

At the same time, I’d against trading material expansion draft exempt assets for non-exempt assets at this time, unless its a humdinger of a deal or one that has a reasonable chance of being that last piece for a cup!

91. Genjutsu says:

Harpers Hair: Of course I didn’t draw any lines in the sand nor did I say there should never be change.

The Stampeders get their name from an event where animals are abused….gotta go.

The Roughriders commemorate a violent war victory….gotta go.

Bombers?

And on it goes.

It’s called progress.

I’m guessing you’re an old man.

Old poeple generally are pretty adverse to change.

Maybe that’s colouring your opinion in part?

92. pts2pndr says:

93. Harpers Hair says:

Genjutsu: It’s called progress.

I’m guessing you’re an old man.

Old poeple generally are pretty adverse to change.

Maybe that’s colouring your opinion in part?

Spencer Fernando ?? (@SpencerFernando) Tweeted:
    Edmonton Eskimos change their name to Edmonton Empire.

SJW’s next year: “Empire brings up the harmful and hurtful legacy of colonialism, and is thus racist, making people feel unsafe, unheard, attacked, and oppressed in the football space. Name must be changed!”

94. Harpers Hair says:

pts2pndr: Eskimo is defined as eaters of raw meat. Having worked with Inuit people, only briefly, and spent time in the Arctic I have nothing but admiration for the Inuit people. The choice should be theirs!’

Would the Edmonton Sashimi’s be an insult?

95. Darth Tu says:

Harpers Hair: You define it as progress…I’m guessing you’re a young man without the wisdom and perspective that age and experience bring.

Spencer Fernando (@SpencerFernando) Tweeted:
    Edmonton Eskimos change their name to Edmonton Empire.

If the change is due to racism then yes, it’s progress.

Also, guys, let’s not get into young versus old perspective fights, that adds nothing to the debate.

96. Harpers Hair says:

Darth Tu: If the change is due to racism then yes, it’s progress.

Sure.

Is it racist?

97. Reja says:

Spencer Fernando (@SpencerFernando) Tweeted:
    Edmonton Eskimos change their name to Edmonton Empire.

If the CFL is still around once they lose the older viewership they’re finished.

98. Darth Tu says:

Harpers Hair: Sure.

Is it racist?

Is the name being changed? Yes, yes it is.

99. Justthestatsman says:

Genjutsu: It’s called progress.

I’m guessing you’re an old man.

Old poeple generally are pretty adverse to change.

Maybe that’s colouring your opinion in part?

We need to be careful with generalizations. My Grandmother was making a meaningful contribution to the family business into her 90s. She started her formal education riding a horse to a one-room school and embraced the modern technology required for the business in her later years.

I’ll admit that she was perhaps an exception, but that being said, we ignore the wisdom of our elders at our peril. Sometimes the ‘resistance to change’ has been influenced by ‘I’ve seen this before and it didn’t turn out that well’. Sometimes they’ve seen the latest change go full circle and come back to where it was, because as it turned out, the old way was the best way all along.

I recognize that change must happen if we’re to advance as a society. I also recognize that all change isn’t progress. The problem is figuring out what is and isn’t.

Now get off my lawn!

100. DieHard says:

Genjutsu: It’s called progress.

I’m guessing you’re an old man.

Old poeple generally are pretty adverse to change.

Maybe that’s colouring your opinion in part?

As a side note. Will the word Eskimo be lost forever. Never to be seen again.

101. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn: It would be nice to see the organization show some courage and keep the name. There is nothing disparaging about the word ‘Eskimo’.

Giving in to bullies just tends to make bullies more aggressive.

As it was and forever will be.

Did you read Jordin Tootoo’s statement on the matter a few weeks back?

102. Ribs says:

DieHard: As a side note. Will the word Eskimo be lost forever. Never to be seen again.

Yup. That’s a sad part of this. A platform used to promote culture is now lost. It is a disservice to the people up north that did not find the term offensive. Ah well…

103. Harpers Hair says:

DieHard: Pseudo progress is not progress. Someday, they will come for you. You will be mocked for your beliefs in 2020 in 2050.

As a side note. Will the word Eskimo be lost forever. Never to be seen again.

It won’t take nearly that long.

Every surrender to the mob accelerates the process.

The E word should now be verboten in any discussion.

To satisfy the cancel culture “progressives”, 100%, every Inuit supporting the name would probably not be enough. The majority opinion of the Inuit, if it were for continuation of the name, is not good enough. Maybe temporarily, but the issue would keep coming back. Since the cancel culture types are “winning”, since they have seized control of the Overton Window, by their control of the media and the universities, and the wealthy influencers with actual power. The Edmonton football team is likely to cut their losses now, and rebrand, rather than be forced to relitigate the issue over and over again.

The mob in our “Cultural Revolution” (or our “French Revolution”) is always “right”. They define truth.

105. Harpers Hair says:

Just heard that Rogers Place has suffered massive flooding.

Anyone hear about this?

106. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair: Would the Edmonton Sashimi’s be an insult?

Harpers Hair:
    Just heard that Rogers Place has suffered massive flooding.

Anyone hear about this?

From Twitter it looks like flooding at the south entrance at the bottom of the stairs/escalator to Ford Hall/Walkway on the south side of 104th avenue.

Unfortunate, but I would think not on the critical path. It would be a not totally insignificant nuisance, but hardly fatal.

That entrance is important if there are 20K people in the building. But since there will be less than 1000 at any one time, I would think not a major problem, except for embarrassment.

So Molson Hockey House is probably toast for the tournament.

i.e. This is the entrance beneath Molson Hockey House. That entrance was mostly closed off for the first three years anyway.

i.e. It is across the avenue from the arena proper.

108. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair:
    Just heard that Rogers Place has suffered massive flooding.

Anyone hear about this?

109. Harpers Hair says:

pts2pndr: The insult has always been calling the Inuit Eskimos. If the Inuit themselves have an objection to the name Eskimo for the football team, changing the name would in my opinion be the right thing to do. It would be a simple thing to ask the two territorial governments of Nunavut and NWT. It is never wrong to be sensitive and respect our fellow Canadian citizens feelings.

Inuit is also a term that applies only to some northern people.

110. defmn says:

Not that it matters but there are at least 4 legitimate options for the etymology of the word eskimo that are offered in any decent etymological dictionary – including the one you cited, Everything from Old French to Latin to Algonquin (the one you mentioned) and on and on. It doesn’t really matter because it is lost in the mists of time.

I find the whole thing a bit silly, myself, because I think I can find a way to make pretty much any descriptive insulting if the intention is to be insulted.

After all Canada comes from an Iroquoian word ‘kanata’. How do you think that makes the Hurons and Mohawks feel to be made to live in a country with a name from the language of their enemies? Not to mention that it stands as a successful example of colonial empire aspirations.

Earlier in the discussion it was suggested to me that replacing Eskimo would be an act of ‘inclusivity’ – a buzzword of no sensible meaning in this context or most others to be honest.

I suppose they could be named the Edmonton Humans but how would our genetic ancestors the lemurs feel about being excluded? They are conscious beings after all.

Not to mention the slight to the residents of St. Albert or Leduc who have been made to feel lesser.

As I said, I find the whole thing a bit silly but a little sad. Erasing the past used to be synonymous with a particular political ideology and it has that bad smell to me given the context within which all of this is taking place.

Those who choose to erase the past leave themselves with the huge job of needing to learn every lesson all over again.

Oh, and yes, I have lived and worked in the Arctic with many Inuits. I don’t think they give two hoots what a bunch of white people in Edmonton call their football team. They have real problems of their own without worrying about silly things like this.

The flood is just behind the Rogers Place sign at the entrance to the walkway from the plaza.

112. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: Yup – not sure if this is “massive” – its just an entrance – not sure if its more widespread:

113. JAMCON says:

Genjutsu,

Ageist much?

114. JAMCON says:

Darth Tu,

Not progress if you regress to an even broader offensive name.

115. Harpers Hair says:

same ol ??, 90% more Dan (@theDanalytic) Tweeted:
    Wow. @RogersPlace https://t.co/Py60mnBgAT

116. tileguy says:

Harpers Hair: In my one and only visit to the arena, I noticed water stains on ceilings and walls and thought it must have been a poorly and hastily built project.

117. Harpers Hair says:

tileguy: Sort of like that leaking condo crisis on the lower mainland and Vancouver islands.

Sort of.

118. defmn says:

Harpers Hair:
    same ol ??, 90% more Dan (@theDanalytic) Tweeted:
    Wow. @RogersPlace https://t.co/Py60mnBgAT

Not a good look with the league coming to town.

119. Harpers Hair says:

John Gormley Show (@JohnGormleyShow) Tweeted:
    Imagine if they go with “Empire”, as some have predicted. The Edmonton EMPIRE playing in COMMONWEALTH Stadium. The non-wokeness of this is staggering.

120. Bank Shot says:

It’s amazing how tedious HH is on every subject. Using the old slippery sloped argument.

Like if the Eskimoes change their name than what is next? People will be offended by Stampeder. OMG please think of the children!

Just like when the gays got allowed to marry and now people are marrying cats and dogs! OMG!

121. Harpers Hair says:

Bank Shot:

The slippery slope.

122. defmn says:

Bank Shot:

‘Slippery slope’ and ‘progress’ are just two different ways of saying the same thing depending on whether or not you think the change is positive or otherwise.

Sorry. 😉

123. Harpers Hair says:

WheatNOil (@WheatNOil) Tweeted:
    “You know, if we could bring them all to Edmonton in the summer, we could really sell them on the city. They never get to see it outside of winter.”

(Massive summer storm hits causing major damage, flooding the rink)

“… we’re really more of a Fall town.”

As this blog has a policy of not judging based on race, color, creed or orientation, I would encourage everyone to be respectful in this thread. Thanks!

125. Side says:

Why do people act like “cancel culture” is new thing? Cancel culture is human nature and there are many examples of it in every period of human history.

Only difference now is how swiftly “cancelling” someone is thanks to technology and the internet.

126. Harpers Hair says:

Side:
    Why do people act like “cancel culture” isnew thing? Cancel culture is human nature and there are many examples of it in every period of human history.

For sure.

Witch burnings were much more labour intensive.

127. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair: Inuit is also a term that applies only to some northern people.

The answer is that to the best of my knowledge the people the term Eskimo was used for are the Inuit. There are a number of First Nation tribes as well none of which live north of the tree line. The Cree and Dog Rib are two of such In the NWT that I know of. While having lived in the NWT for six years and also having worked above the tree line for two winters I am not an authority on all the different indigenous peoples.

128. Side says:

Harpers Hair: For sure.

Witch burnings were much more labour intensive.

Yep…

129. Durag says:

Side:

Because it used to be the domain of the rich and powerful and now it’s being done by the unwashed masses

130. Harpers Hair says:

Side: Yep. Being “canceled” in today’s day and age over something deemed as questionable behaviour is totally comparable to someone being burned alive for exhibiting impossible behaviour.

Yep…

Yep.

Same same.

131. Harpers Hair says:

Durag: Because it used to be the domain of the rich and powerful and now it’s being done by the unwashedmasses

How naive.

132. Darth Tu says:

JAMCON:
    Darth Tu,

Not progress if you regress to an even broader offensive name.

Very true. Which is why a dinosaur name would be better.

#EdmontonRoar

133. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar
    213 comments2 votes1 follower
    OriginalPouzar
    3h
    Unless the flooding and damage is more widespread than what’s in the video, while a nuisance, I don’t see this being a material issue. If its just to an entrace-way, that will have no effect. That’s an important entrance and if there was going to be 20K people in the building, it could potentially cause some logistical issue but I don’t see this creating any sort of real issue.

134. jp says:

Durag:

Bingo.

It may not be fully Chicago-specific, but pretty sure it was conceived to try to fix those McDavid numbers vs the Hawks from the regular season.

135. Side says:

Harpers Hair: Yep.

Same same.

I will bet you it’s not the same!

Wait, nevermind.

136. Harpers Hair says:

Side: I will bet you it’s not the same!

Wait, nevermind.

Do you want to pro-rate that?

137. Side says:

Harpers Hair: Do you want to pro-rate that?

Why? Are you thinking of ways to get out of our non existent bet already?

138. Ribs says:

Darth Tu: My dream of all dinosaur names for all sports teams will be achieved eventually.

Feathered or non-feathered dinosaurs? Someone will be offended!

139. Munny says:

Darth Tu: Source please. I’d love to read this survey.

It was 630 Ched/Global’s lead story this morning on their website. The fact it has since been pulled should tell us all something (and not good things).

140. Ribs says:

I am seeing a lot of season ticket holders saying they will not be renewing because of the name change. Some vowing to boycott the CFL altogether. Extreme gut reactions? How many will follow through with these threats?

It will be interesting to see what comes from this.

141. Ribs says:

Munny: It was 630 Ched/Global’s lead story this morning on their website.The fact it has since been pulled should tell us all something (and not good things).

Referring to this, maybe… https://globalnews.ca/news/7180842/eskimos-agm-team-name-2019-finances/

The poll results are not from their latest round, they are from 2018-19. Still pretty relevant. You can see that people from the east have a different view from the people in the west.

142. Munny says:

defmn: Yup. Hegel has a lot to answer for and his answers are not really convincing imo.

For now, Locke gets a lawn chair… but it’s still close to the fire. We’ll see.

143. Munny says:

Ribs,

Thank you. Yup, almost word-for-word that’s the same article. Funny how the old poll got mixed with the new financial numbers in the same article…

144. hunter1909 says:

Death March™ Update ** Death March™ Update ** Death March™ Update

Making an early prediction in the fantastic 2020 NHL Playoff Death March™

This season’s playoffs are coming quickly, but we we can easily help ourselves by going to the link:

“I registered my prediction, and ever since I’m feeling much better” hunter1909

It’s Free!

Join the hundreds of satisfied Death March™ players since 2014!

It’s Easy!

returning Death March™ players are advised to use their original previous March™ names for continuity purposes only

I see we’ve all had a measured conversation about these things overnight. Gents, it doesn’t work. we’re a hockey site. I’ll delete the madness now, but please stay out of these conversations. Thanks.

146. OriginalPouzar says:

Granlund officially signs in the KHL for two years.

147. defmn says:

Munny: Fuck that guy. Seriously, fuck him. I might have to throw Kant on the same bonfire, haven’t decided yet.

For now, Locke gets a lawn chair… but it’s still close to the fire.We’ll see.

Not sure what happened to my response from last night. I guess it caught up in the purge although it was just an answer much like below.

Hegel, Kant & Locke are all plodders. They move their arguments forward at the speed of molasses running uphill. I find that with those dealing with complicated ideas some choose to befuddle with substance but their style always gives them away for what they really are.

There is no ‘leap’ or ‘dance’ or even ‘purposeful meandering’ in their message.

They plod. Locke deserves to be included.

148. PerryK says:

cowboy bill:

AA-McDavid-Kassian
    Ennis-Leon-Yamo
    JJ-Nuge-Arch
    Neal-Sheahan-Chaisson
    Nygard-Haas-Russell
    Benson-McLeod-Marody

I like this idea a lot! The only tweak that I’d make is AA and Ennis switch.