Stanley Cup 2020 Playoffs: Oilers vs. Chicago Game 2

In the words of the great philosopher Izzy Mandelbaum, “it’s go time” for the Edmonton Oilers tonight. In a best of five series, each game is double and double again. Expect a fantastic effort. Expecting a win? I can’t go that far.

This Oilers team is good enough to run the table, but have to get out of their own way. All facets of the game need to improve, beginning with attention to detail. It’s a tall order, friends.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

TONIGHT

There isn’t much to say about this game. The Oilers had the better season, finished in the top two in the Pacific and if the season had been allowed to finish we’d be having a different conversation. However, no one can or will use that as an excuse on the Edmonton side and I expect we’ll see a strong performance tonight.

The problem, as I see it, is that this club has rarely played a full 60 minutes and that might be required against Chicago this evening. I expect Edmonton arrives at this game with horses at full gallop ala the chariot race scene in Ben-Hur.

LINES (Five on Five)

Nuge-McDavid-Kassian: 11:48, 7-18 Corsi (28 percent); 4-10 shots (29 percent); 0-3 goals 2-4 HDSC.

Ennis-Draisaitl-Yamamoto: 10:28, 10-11 Corsi (43 percent); 5-7- shots (42 percent); no goals 2-2 HDSC.

The Oilers have to get more than four HDSC from these two lines and can’t get outscored 3-0 when they’re on the ice. Even if Tippett moves Nuge back to the Draisaitl line (he won’t, at least to start the game) to get the magic going, Edmonton cannot let this five on five badness stand. Man.

Athanasiou-Sheahan-Archibald: 5:30, 4-3 Corsi (57 percent); 3-2 shots (60 percent); no goals or high dangers.

Neal-Khaira-Chiasson: 7:04, 7-3 Corsi (70 percent); 3-2 shots (60 percent); no goals or high dangers.

The bottom two lines did exactly what is expected: Low event minutes and no goals against. Tippett will take these numbers all day. A goal for would be nice, Athanasiou and Neal have that ability.

Oscar Klefbom-Adam Larsson: 12:00, 5-14 Corsi (26 percent); 1-11 shots (8 percent); 0-2 goals and 0-3 HDSC. Oilers were 26-29 Corsi, 14-15 shots, 0-1 goals and 4-3 HDSC with the Swedish duo off the ice.

Darnell Nurse-Ethan Bear: 17:16, 12-17 Corsi (41 percent); 7-9 shots (44 percent); 0-1 goals and 3-3 HDSC.

Kris Russell-Matt Benning: 9:42, 12-8 Corsi (60 percent); 6-4 shots (60 percent); no goals and 1-0 HDSC.

I don’t think Klefbom-Larsson will have a game like that one again, if they struggle early tonight Tippett will pull the plug and we could see Klefbom-Bear. That’s the story morning glory.

Mike Smith: 21 minutes five on five; 14 saves on 17 shots (.824); Mikko Koskinen: 27 minutes five on five; 10 saves on 10 shots (1.000).

THE DRAFT

Look, I wish we weren’t talking about it either, but we’re here bitches. The Oilers could draft No. 1 overall, and that’s beyond incredible. IF Edmonton wins the lottery in 2020, my prediction is that the next lottery will not be a lottery at all. It will be a horse race, with all of the teams eligible represented by a specific horse. The race will start the moment Gary Bettman cocks his gun and shoots Edmonton’s horse. Here’s my top 20 for 2020:

1 L Alexis Lafreniere, QMJHL. NHL ready, fleet scorer who plays with an edge.
2 LC Quinton Byfield, OHL. August 2002, 6.04, 215. Big, powerful winger, excellent speed.
3 LC Tim Stutzle, DEL. Dynamic player, highlight reel offense. Tremendous skater.
4 LC Marco Rossi, OHL. Good speed, exciting, range of skills. Exceptional talent.
5 RHD Jamie Drysdale, OHL. Great speed, passing and instincts, instant offense from the blue.
6 LC Cole Perfetti, OHL. Outstanding talent, not as fast as top forwards, has tremendous skill.
7 RW Alexander Holtz, SHL. First-shot scorer with a range of skills, he’s an electric player.
8 LW Lucas Raymond, SHL. Smart player who has ridiculous skill. March 2002. Fine skater.
9 RW Jack Quinn OHL. Impressive offensive winger was a late breaker. Pure goal scorer.
10 RW Dawson Mercer, QMJHL. Impressive player who is both scorer and playmaker.
11 RC Mavrik Bourque, QMJHL. Creative center, great passer, great shot. Plays in tough areas.
12 LC Connor Zary, WHL. Quick, smart two-way center effective across 200 feet.
13 LD Jake Sanderson, USHL. Smart, fast two-way defenseman has complete skill set.
14 LC Anton Lundell, Liiga. Complete skill set, average speed but improving.
15 RC Seth Jarvis, WHL. Jarvis is a fantastic player, undersized and skilled. Big second half.
16 RW Noel Gunler, SHL. Has a great release and an impressive resume. Attractive option.
17 G Yaroslav Askarov, VHL. He plays an unusual style. June 2002, .923 VHL SP.
18 RC Jacob Perreault, OHL. Skates well, great shot, great numbers, excellent passer.
19 LC Jan Mysak, OHL. Skilled and is effective in all areas. Major move in second half.
20 LD Kaiden Guhle, WHL. Big defenseman has good foot speed and full skill set.

613 Responses to "Stanley Cup 2020 Playoffs: Oilers vs. Chicago Game 2"

Newer Comments »
  1. DenverOilFan says:

I’m sure there are good reasons, but could we please put the Drai, Nuge, Yamo line back together. Just as a starting point.

2. dustrock says:

Wonder if there will be any changes to the forwards. I doubt it.

3. Tesla's Hair says:

“Look, I wish we weren’t talking about it either, but we’re here bitches.” #WTF+LOL

4. OriginalPouzar says:

DenverOilFan:

I read a tweet from a solid account this morning that Ennis was with Drail and Yamamoto at practice yesterday. Then again, no media is at the practice and Tippett didn’t disclose any line info yesterday so I’m not sure where this person would get this from (unless he has direct contact with a player or staff, for example, which i don’t think he does).

Anyways, at this point, for the skaters, I’m not actually anticipating a change. I think it will be the same lines and pairings as game 1.

5. PeOiler says:

Izzy is the best in the world. That means he’s better than just #1.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

When the return to play and schedule were being finalized, I was just so happy that a plan was in place and the arrows were pointing towards a return of Oiler hockey, I forgot how egregious it was to have to wait until 8:30 (i.e. 8:40) for the game to start – totally effs with my food schedule.

Oh well.

—————–

I watched good portions of all the qualifying games (except ARI/NSH) and the out of the 13 teams I saw, the Oilers were the only team, as a group, that didn’t show up at all – weren’t ready to play, etc.

I expect a much different team tonight!

7. OriginalPouzar says:

McDavid to Toews: “You think you’re better than me????????”.

8. DenverOilFan says:

OriginalPouzar,

If it’s broke, don’t fix it

9. OriginalPouzar says:

I think Klefbom/Bear will be a phenomenal pairing in the coming years – I really hope I don’t see it tonight.

Coach T. didn’t pull any punches with the Klefbom/Larsson pairing – saying they weren’t good enough and they are relied on for big minutes and need to be better.

Tippett was correct!

10. Clarkenstein says:

I’ve watched a lot of hockey over the weekend. The speed and pace of play has been nothing short of phenomenal. Every team except one. No idea why.

11. Bryan says:

“Look, I wish we weren’t talking about it either, but we’re here bitches. The Oilers could draft No. 1 overall, and that’s beyond incredible. IF Edmonton wins the lottery in 2020, my prediction is that the next lottery will not be a lottery at all. It will be a horse race, with all of the teams eligible represented by a specific horse. The race will start the moment Gary Bettman cocks his gun and shoots Edmonton’s horse.”

That’s gold, Jerry! Gold!

12. DenverOilFan says:

OriginalPouzar:

Oh well.

—————–

I expect a much different team tonight!

NSH didn’t show up. Started strong and finished strong (score effects, AZ sitting on lead) but that 40 to 50 mins in between, eesh. I didn’t think WPG was all that great but give them a pass due to Scheiffle effect.

13. Younger Oil says:

Not to be a defeatist, but just trying to look at who our first round pick a bit better: If we lose the play-in series, are we either drafting 1st (if we win the lottery), or 14th/15th (because we have the 2nd highest points percentage of any play in team)? From how I interpreted the draft lottery rules there’s no opportunity to draft at anything other than that in the event that we lose the play-in round, right?

14. OriginalPouzar says:

Karpat’s training camp starts today. No Jesse – not a surprise as he hasn’t signed but I think it’s notable.

I sense an Oiler signing and loan in the next bit.

15. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Clarkenstein:
    I’ve watched a lot of hockey over the weekend. The speed and pace of play has been nothing short of phenomenal.Every team except one.No idea why.

Yup. It’s a real head scratcher. There may be a sports psychology PhD thesis in there somewhere…

16. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Thanks for the laughs LT! I appreciate your levity while I am gnawing at my fingertips…

17. OriginalPouzar says:

I asked and Nugent-Bowman was nice enough to respond – Media avail at 11:30 this morning – not that Tip will let us know anything about the tenders or potential lineup or lines/pairings changes.

This no media at morning skates or practices (which I get, they aren’t at the main arena) is making game day info all but nil when you have a secretive coach.

18. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909 2020 Playoff Death March™ POSSIBLE FINAL WEEK

Enter Now!

So much excitement You don’t want to miss

19. jtblack says:

Nwver a good sign when CHI trounces you and Patty Kane only had 1 A.

OP, this is the most honest commentary I have heard from you.

ALL that I know is it will be 33 degrees and I will be watching playoff hockey. SIGN ME UP.!!!

PREDICTION: EDM 4 – CHI 3 1ST STAR – MIKKO

20. Hitman77 says:

Byfield is a winger?

OriginalPouzar:

Oh well.

—————–

I expect a much different team tonight!

The Oilers were up 1-0 when their goaltender shat the bed. Smith didn’t give them a chance to settle down when he left the puck for Dylan Strome.

That was as big a blunder as the Steve Smith pass.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

Surprised that Ferland was merely fined and not suspended for his spear….

OriginalPouzar:
    McDavid to Toews: “You think you’re better than me????????”.

24. jake70 says:

Bryan:

That’s gold, Jerry!Gold!

Hard for LT to outdo himself but here it is….thought that was great too. Haha.

25. innercitysmytty says:

godot10: The Oilers were up 1-0 when their goaltender shat the bed.Smith didn’t give them a chance to settle down when he left the puck for Dylan Strome.

That was as big a blunder as the Steve Smith pass.

I’m with you on this line of thinking. Weak goals like can deflate a team and I think the Oilers lost the game at that point. It’s easy to spread the blame and surely the rest of the team never played well after that, but hard for the players to not play tight when they are worried that the tender can let in another weak one at any time.

26. Ryan says:

OriginalPouzar: I read a tweet from a solid account this morning that Ennis was with Drail and Yamamoto at practice yesterday.Then again, no media is at the practice and Tippett didn’t disclose any line info yesterday so I’m not sure where this person would get this from (unless he has direct contact with a player or staff, for example, which i don’t think he does).

Anyways, at this point, for the skaters, I’m not actually anticipating a change.I think it will be the same lines and pairings as game 1.

Tippett didn’t make many in game adjustments last game.

I am not sure about the lines.

Chicago’s not a big heavy team, but those are two very small wingers for one line…

Kassian had a poor effort and wasn’t shuffled.

The bottom two lines were low-event which was good, but there’s an odd mix there.

Obviously, the Khaira line is big and slow and you can try to use that line for o-zone face offs, but not really a good checking line.

The Sheahan line is sort of a checking line, but AA doesn’t fit on that type of line since he’s a defensive liability.

The 97 line should have been much better, but they don’t mach up well starting d-zone draws against Toews.

Overall, I find the lines sort of perplexing.

1. I’d want a better defensive winger on the Sheahan line to use it for checking purposes. Subtract AA from that line.

2. The Draisaitl line could use a bigger winger to play with Yamamoto.

The Nugent-Hopkins Draisaitl Yamamoto line HAS to be put back together, at least for this series, and immediately.

It is a matchup series. Chicago has no match for that line. Give them something to worry about.

Give McDavid two reliable checkers and reliable in the d-zone. It is okay to try Neil on RW here

Something like Nygard McDavid Ennis/Russell/Neil
    Nygard/McDavid/Neil

Lots of guys work well with Sheahan and Archibald (Ennis, Athanasiou, Nygard, Kassian)
    Athanasiou Sheahan Archibald

Put the leftover left wing with Khaira and Chiasson.
    Ennis Khaira Chiasson

28. Bryan says:

The way I look at it is the team can’t play worse than they did on Saturday.. I’d have Kassian on an extremely short leash and if he is performing like last game then staple him to the bench. Putting Koskinen in should help to calm everyone down. If they aren’t rolling by the end of the first put Nuge back with Leon and figure something else out for Connor. Ennis and AA would be a lot more help than what Kassian was giving him. Klefbom and Larson simply need to play better. Bear wasn’t his usual steady self last game but he didn’t have many bad games this season. Crawford didn’t remind me of Bernie Parent in net. Chicago doesn’t have the 76 Canadiens lineup on defence either. No reason to panic yet. They just need to play the way that they can.

29. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

I don’t expect a significant change to the starting line-up other than G.

I expect the leash will be short. If the team shows poor performance in the top 6 in the first period expect to see Kass moved and perhaps RNH back to Leon-KY…add a little more adversity to McD having to play with two “new” wingers, but maybe that would be a good thing (extra attention to DZone details…)

I am interested to see Haas and Nygard inserted at some point. I would really like to see if signed Nygard can out perform or equally peform compared to unsigned AA. Likewise, Haas vs Sheahan.

The lack of a RHC was obvious on the lost draws last game (and in previous games!!). Oh Strome, how I miss thee…

Yesterday, Claude Giroux showed a fancy “reverse hand” draw technique that was successful against Bergeron (if memory serves). Based on results, the LHC on the Oilers have not seemed to put much effort to improving face-off percentages. Giroux is very good at draws, maybe his prototype “reverse hand” method could be adopted in the off-season by a few Oil LHC so we have higher percentages on the dot and increase the likelihood to start shifts with puck possession….just a thought.

30. hunter1909 says:

Oilers are the OnalDay UmpTray of these NHL playoff/ins… No respect from anyone else in the league pissing away all of that drafted talent has Edmonton thought of like another incarnation of the 2000’s playoff bust Ottawa Senators. Lose to the Hawks and this team will have earned the distinction all by themselves.

31. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:

Oh well.

At least you’re not on the east coast…

32. hunter1909 says:

When you have two relatively equal goalies the one you stick in first isn’t the one you think might win its the goalie you feel best about pulling out and replacing.

Tippett probably didn’t do that kind of thinking at all and now his team is behind the 8 ball. One thing is for certain, this season it’s going to be hard for Kevin Lowe to blame the fans LOL

33. JOFA says:

Let’s hope the horse decides to leave the barn tonight.

Prediction: The Oilers will give a much better effort tonight and may even win. That will be followed-up with being complacent the next game. If they happen to win the series, they will be quickly disposed of in the “1st round”. Still not good enough. The balance photo will have to wait AL.

34. hunter1909 says:

“At least we’re not Buffalo” Oilers internal memo

35. hunter1909 says:

JOFA: If they happen to win the series, they will be quickly disposed of in the “1st round”. Still not good enough.

36. JOFA says:

What we saw against Calgary is who they are. Play well for part of the game, and get outplayed the rest. Pray for good goaltending and special teams to pull off a win. Rinse and repeat.

37. Reja says:

Tippett has to go with Kosh that being said no way Smith is solely to blame. They had zero emotion like OP keeps saying . Chicago was skating all over the ice like it was the woman’s free skate at the world championships That was one of the lamest efforts a Oiler team has ever produced I expect life for Kane and Toews will be much different tonight.

38. Brantford Boy says:

Bryan:

That’s gold, Jerry!Gold!

I think that would be very ethical of Bettman… I envision the horses head in bed with Holland ala The Godfather…

39. meanashell11 says:

Here’s what I saw last game. It was very similar to last season where the team did not have confidence in the goalie, played tentatively and when they got behind, tried to do too much. Perfect example, two Hawks behind our net, four Oilers go after them leaving a wide open Hawk in the slot. Happened at least 3-4 times.

I think as soon as Smith was announced as tender they tightened right up and never recovered.

40. Munny says:

Hitman77:
    Byfield is a winger?

Right wing… judging by his publishing history.

41. Munny says:

hunter1909: I dunno, I had them down to win 14 games before this disaster of an opening night massacre.

You have us losing in Gm 7 of the SCF?!

42. Tesla's Hair says:

Imagine if…Hall, Petry, Maroon, Strome, Puljujarvi and Talbot (backup) were still on our team in these playoffs. Would we have balance?

PS. Where is Kinger by the way?! He called it that the hot/cold goalie player determines cup fate.

Waiting for some of his…

GO OILERS GO!

43. dustrock says:

Munny: Right wing… judging by his publishing history.

Ha ha ha nice one. Ted was probably elbows up as a player.

44. dustrock says:

Every time Strome does something great for the Rags, I grind my teeth.

45. Ryan says:

godot10:

It is a matchup series.Chicago has no match for that line.Give them something to worry about.

Give McDavid two reliable checkers and reliable in the d-zone.It is okay to try Neil on RW here

Something like Nygard McDavid Ennis/Russell/Neil
    Nygard/McDavid/Neil

Lots of guys work well with Sheahan and Archibald(Ennis, Athanasiou, Nygard, Kassian)
    Athanasiou Sheahan Archibald

Put the leftover left wing with Khaira and Chiasson.
    Ennis Khaira Chiasson

I’m on board with the reunited the Drai line, but not sure about your other suggestions.

– I wouldn’t use Russell (forward) unless we were really hit hard with the injury bug. Even still I couldn’t imagine a guy with that poor of offensive production ever playing with McDavid.

– Neal and McDavid have not been good at 5v5 (42% GF) nor is Neal a particularly savvy defensive player.

– AA is not great for a checking line.

You wonder what else Holland could have picked up for 2 second rounders that would have been a better fit.

Ennis was good with McDavid at producing offense in a small sample, but not a great defensive contributor for the line.

Nygard and McDavid have played well in a small sample size. 53 min, GF 6, GA 2

Nygard – McDavid – Kassian
    Nuge – Draisaitl – Yamomoto
    Ennis – Sheahan – Archibald
    AA / Neal – Khaira – Chiasson

You could also put Ennis in the Nygard slot.

Really we don’t have an idea fit for that line except Nuge, in theory, but then the second line doesn’t work well.

46. Pescador says:

JOFA:

Ouch,
    hard look in the mirror and not a pretty reflection

47. Munny says:

If things are going badly half way through this game and they need a couple or more to equalize, it is far more likely they move 29 up with 97 and 93, than move Nuge down.

48. Munny says:

Tipp’s pre-game media avail is at 11:25 here:

49. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– In these 3 of 5’s any team that won the first game, is a solid period or two away from it being over.

– Lets say CHI gets a 2-0 lead half way into the 2nd: Most teams be like: ” F$ck it: 4 periods away from this being over, and going home….

– That’s not specific to the Oil, but all the teams down 1-0 and behind a few

– Not letting in a soft goal early to kill their will is critical today.

50. Munny says:

Koskinen starts.

51. OriginalPouzar says:

Tip confirms Koskinen is starting.

52. dustrock says:

Kostco

53. Munny says:

Not giving away what the lines are to Matty’s direct question about moving Nuge down.

54. OriginalPouzar says:

Wouldn’t confirm any lineup changes – says everyone is available.

55. Munny says:

Matheson now wondering why other coaches are dressing like the Mandelbaums…

56. Nix says:

Glad we all agree that reacquiring Ryan Strome is a crucial offseason priority. Zero sarcasm. I really want him back. I know he didnt really have the best performance here but the absence in that slot is glaring. That mythical RH3C really tied the room together.

57. Munny says:

Some good words from Tipp on Koski.

58. OriginalPouzar says:

One week in to phase 4 and zero positive tests.

Remember, they are testing the players, coaches, staff, etc. daily – in fact, its daily tests for alot of additional groups – hotel staff, security, bartenders, ice crew, event coverage staff, PA, transportation personnel, etc.

59. Pescador says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

– Not letting in a soft goal early to kill their will is critical today.

Soo..
    1st shot of the game then?

60. Tesla's Hair says:

Kingers back from the long weekend. Music! With all the DSF after midnight-heavy hootch-infused posts, we need some more sober Oil weighted logic to balance it all out, brah.

Wonder what OP and DSF would ping-pong about in a LT mirror universe? Wish there were still annual Oil blogging awards given out, I am sure those 2 would receive many nominations. Cheers was full of characters, this place even more so. Haha.

I’m in a celebratory mood today. It is the first time since mid March, that I can sit in a Second Cup, have a slow coffee while reading Lowetide and dreaming of the Sixth cup.

Chicago’s going down today like HSBC branded yard sale. #PenaltyKillJunkStatus

Go Kostco Go!

61. JimmyV1965 says:

Clarkenstein:

It must have been nerves. I can’t think of any other explanation. I rewatched the Flames game a few days ago. Although the Oil were outplayed in the middle half of the game, they didn’t give up a lot of grade A chances. They kept the Flames to the perimeter and forced them to shoot from the outside. The Hawks game was inexplicable. They gave up the slot all night long. The dmen were out of position all night long.

62. tileguy says:

What an opportunity for Mikko, plays great this game and he is on his way to possible hero status.

63. Gerta Rauss says:

Younger Oil:

Edm has the 4th best pp% of the play in teams

EDM .585%
    NYI .588%
    CAR .596%
    PIT .623%

If the Oilers lose to CHI, they have an opportunity to pick 1,12,13,14,15

Any/all of NYI,CAR and PIT would also have to lose for EDM to pick higher than 15

64. Munny says:

JimmyV1965: It must have been nerves.

Gord, no, that wasn’t nerves in my opinion. Far from it.

That was a team that thought they could just roll over the Hawks. That thought the teams’ two records had already decided the series. That thought they didn’t have to play smart, do the little things, take away time and space, and actually check to the win the game. That was a team that thought they could win in a track meet.

That was a team of Izzy Mandelbaums…

And we’ve all seen our players perform this script before. We saw it just a few days earlier against the Flames. Scoring first didn’t help either

65. hunter1909 says:

Munny: Gord, no, that wasn’t nerves in my opinion. Far from it.

You forgot to mention the press clippings and scrapbooks being composed – chronicling their achievements by armies of eager fans and possibly still toxic management.

I think I want to throw up lol

66. hunter1909 says:

They lose this series and it’s catastrophic for the psyche of 80% of the fanbase.

67. pts2pndr says:

I recorded and watched the first game twice. The Oilers made mistakes but they appeared to be a case of trying to do too much. Weak call on Nurse when the game was at 4-2. Hawks score on the power play. Smith never seemed settled in goal but team can’t lay the loss on him. All or most of the main players made at least one mistake that they do not normally make. Those single mistakes ended up in the back of the net. The officiating made a critical wrong call on Ennis that ended in a power play goal for Chicago in what should have been a five minute major against Chicago.
    I believe that with both teams playing back to normal and with proper officiating the series will be tied after today’s game! Go Oilers clap clap!

68. Rickety Cricket says:

That was the same Oilers team we have watched all season, with the exception that the PK was dismal. All season the Oil have had inconsistent goaltending, a great PP, and terrible 5v5 production. The only real surprise was that McD’s line was shredded.

69. OriginalPouzar says:

That was as big a blunder as the Steve Smith pass.

The Oil were indeed up 1-0 when Smith shit the bed.

Of course, up to that point, they were as sloppy and mistake-prone as they were for the rest of the game – only difference was a PP goal taking advantage of a mental error by the Hawks.

Don’t get me wrong, if the Archie puck goes in and not off the post and Smith doesn’t give momentum to the Hawks, maybe the result is different but, at the same time, the Oilers were playing just as shitty before their goalie did that. It was likely a matter of time.

70. linkfromhyrule says:

dustrock:
    Every time Strome does something great for the Rags, I grind my teeth.

It’s amazing to me that this is only one of Chiarelli’s trades of Actual NHL Player for a guy that will no longer be in the league in 1-2 years.

Spooner played in KHL Minsk for part of this year, scoring 37 points yet somehow going -31. Strome set a career high in points this year at 59, granted playing on a line with Panarin. Man he would fit in well at 3C right now, right inside the giant crater that remains.

It’s one thing to trade Actual NHL Player for Actual NHL Player and lose in terms of value, such as with Hall/Larsson or even Eberle/Strome, but to just completely whiff like that multiple times just guts the team asset-wise. Speaking of that Caggiula guy getting suspended, which team is Brandon Manning playing for now? Oh, right.

That’s why I find it really impressive that Tippet and Holland were able to turn it around so quickly, even if god forbid we get eliminated from the qualifying round. Kinger had it exactly right yesterday when he said we have “meh” management now instead of terrible. Average is a whole hell of a lot better than what we had before. And IMO both Holland and Tippet, despite their blind spots, have made more good moves than bad this year. Holland benefits just by not being actively terrible with assets. Peter needed to sit on his hands more. One of the worst GM tenures of all time.

Seriously, I am thankful to even be in the mix for the playoffs after the last 3 years of Chia.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: Toews: “No, but I have Kubalik, and you have effing do-nothing lazy a$$ Kassian”.

and that no-good 1st overall pick Nugent Hopkins…..

72. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: At least you’re not on the east coast…

Been there – was in Sao Paulo for the epic BoA game at the beginning of February – 3 hours ahead so it started at 11:30 (and I needed to be up at 5 to hit the gym before our day plans).

Promised the wife I would only watch the first period – ya, I watched the entire thing.

No regrets!

73. OriginalPouzar says:

DenverOilFan:

Tip wouldn’t reveal any line info but I don’t expect this to happen – at least to start.

Leash on lines will probably be shorter than last game but here is hoping that major in-game adjustments are not required.

74. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: and that no-good 1st overall pick Nugent Hopkins…..

RNH has 7 points in 14 career playoff games.

Kubalik has 5 points in 1 career playoff game.

75. OriginalPouzar says:

Clarkenstein:

Yup – I was saying that last night – every damn team in the qualifiers (except I didn’t see any of the ARI/NSH game 1).

76. OriginalPouzar says:

Younger Oil:

I think that is right.

77. slopitch says:

50/50 is up to 300k already

78. Todd Macallan says:

It’s a small thing, but just so great to hear Mark Lewis on the PA at Rogers right now. He is as great as George Canyon’s version of the anthem is terrible. That is to say, incredibly.

79. Munny says:

hunter1909:

All aboard the pain train!!!

Younger Oil:

I asked Puck Pedia:

If they lose to Chicago they’ll pick either 1 or 9-15. 9-15 are qualifying losers ranked by inverse point %. If they beat Chicago it’s 16-31 based on how far they get

81. Sunnyboy says:

97 needs to look at Toews to see a captain, won’t find one in a mirror. He may be the best skater, attacker in hockey but the best player, not so much. His 200 foot game only starts at his blue line. Hope the Oilers can play a more complete game tonite.

82. OriginalPouzar says:

Bryan:
    The way I look at it is the team can’t play worse than they did on Saturday..I’d have Kassian on an extremely short leash and if he is performing like last game then staple him to the bench.Putting Koskinen in should help to calm everyone down.If they aren’t rolling by the end of the first put Nuge back with Leon and figure something else out for Connor.Ennis and AA would be a lot more help than what Kassian was giving him.Klefbom and Larson simply need to play better.Bear wasn’t his usual steady self last game but he didn’t have many bad games this season.Crawford didn’t remind me of Bernie Parent in net.Chicago doesn’t have the 76 Canadiens lineup on defence either.No reason to panic yet.They just need to play the way that they can.

If Kassian doesn’t lay a big hit on his first couple of shifts………

Here is hoping he doesn’t take a PIM doing it….

83. Shane says:

Harpers Hair: RNH has 7 points in 14 career playoff games.

Kubalik has 5 points in 1 career playoff game.

~Lemme just grab this goalpost here…~

Ahem, but but but 13 of RNHs playoffs games were played with Lucic on his wing.
    And 1 of Kubaliks playoff games he was playing on Toews’ wing.

Also, PP points, or something.

Did I do it right??

84. Pescador says:

Sunnyboy:

Could not agree more,
    McDavid is the biggest problem the Oilers have
    We should trade him for Toews

85. Todd Macallan says:

Harkins with the Pisani-esque snipe on the breakaway.

OriginalPouzar: and that no-good 1st overall pick Nugent Hopkins…..

Sunnyboy:

Did you even watch Gretzky or Lemieux play? Your wingers have to do their jobs. Kassian failed to do his job on two of the goals against. If he does his job, McDavid’s weakness does not matter.

Kassian has to have McDavid’s back, and he failed him twice in the biggest game of the year (until the next one).

OriginalPouzar: If Kassian doesn’t lay a big hit on his first couple of shifts………

Here is hoping he doesn’t take a PIM doing it….

Hits don’t matter. Doing his job winning board battles, and not making any defensive mistakes does.

I don’t think he won a board battle on Satruday.

89. Harpers Hair says:

Shane: ~Lemme just grab this goalpost here…~

Ahem, but but but 13 of RNHs playoffs games were played with Lucic on his wing.
    And 1 of Kubaliks playoff games he was playing on Toews’ wing.

Also, PP points, or something.

Did I do it right??

It’s all Harper’s fault.

90. jp says:

Ryan:

91. oilersfan says:

I haven’t watched all the western conference games…

Are cuthbert and debrusk doing every game? 2-3 games a day? How is that possible?!

92. Sunnyboy says:

97 the biggest problem? Haha, good one. I thought that 97 would float all boats around him, not that he required stiffs like Kass to succeed.

93. OriginalPouzar says:

hunter1909:

Of course, the regular season and camp showed the Oilers have one goalie superior to the other…..

94. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan:

Nygard and McDavid have played well in a small sample size. 53 min, GF 6, GA 2

Remove Drai from the equation and we get: 50 minutes, 6GF, 1GA…….

Is there something there?

Maybe?

I doubt we see it any time in 2020.

95. Munny says:

IF the Oilers win tonight’s game, do they win by more than Chicago won-by on Saturday?

96. Gerta Rauss says:

oilersfan:
    I haven’t watched all the western conference games…

I think Cuthbert/Debrusk get a break between games when Sportsnet uses the NBC feed, but I’ll admit I haven’t been paying close attention to ALL the games/broadcast crews

I think Cuthbert/Debrusk get the Canadian teams

97. Caller Zen says:

Munny:

I’ll say yeah … 4-1 Oilers

98. Fuhr and Lowething in Vegreville says:

Harpers Hair: RNH has 7 points in 14 career playoff games.

Kubalik has 5 points in 1 career playoff game.

If only we still had Sam Ganyay, and his bankable 8 point nights, we’d have easily won game one, because one game sample sizes matter.

🤣🤣🤣

Munny:

Winning is a binary event. Margin is irrelevant.

100. GB&Q says:

i would like to see Nygaard in for… ?
    and a burner on each line.

101. nelson88 says:

Too late to watch the game in AST but predicting a strong game by Koskinen, the oilers pack their lunch buckets and the bottom six play a starring role.

Go Oilers!

102. PREDICKTER says:

Sunnyboy:

Does McDavid need to be given the Ovechkin treatment? That year with Dale Hunter* making him work on his defensive deficiencies, probably wasn’t his favorite season, but it made him a more complete player. And that has led them to winning a cup. I love me some McDavid, but he still has to learn how play the game without the puck to become a complete player. How does he get there? A little tough love? Have patience? I don’t know.
    *Dale Hunter was one of my favorite non Oiler players ever. What a competitor, and dirty, very dirty. And in the playoffs, well let’s just say that he wouldn’t be allowed to play in 2020.

103. Ryan says:

jp: And Nuge kinda only works there in theory, as you said (though guessing that wasn’t your meaning).

As you know, Nuge Kassian and McDavid haven’t played much together.

44 minutes during the regular season. 2 GF 0 GA. xGF 45.9%

In the past two seasons, 116 min; 5-5. xGF% 35%

McDavid and Nuge have only played twenty minutes together without Kassian this season.

Overall, McDavid hasn’t played much with Nuge except in the two previous seasons.

104. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair: RNH has 7 points in 14 career playoff games.

Kubalik has 5 points in 1 career playoff game.

5 more points than the Canucks last night!

105. leadfarmer says:

Please dont feed the hairy Harpy!!

106. OilClog says:

Vancouver needs a Kubalik, they can’t even score a single goal.

107. Lucinius says:

Fucking Calgary.

2-2 now, nearing the end of the 2nd.

108. JimmyV1965 says:

Rickety Cricket:

I’ve watched basically the entire season three times this year. The Hawks game is nothing at all like they played all year, not even close. There were stinkers in December, but nothing like this. And after Dec. 31, they were a very good team.

109. JimmyV1965 says:

Harpers Hair: RNH has 7 points in 14 career playoff games.

Kubalik has 5 points in 1 career playoff game.

Kubalik should retire right now. He will have the highest playoff PPG in the history of the NHL. Likely gets him into the Hall of Fame as well.

110. jp says:

Ryan: Well, Nuge can’t play on two lines and so far (last game), the results weren’t there.

As you know, Nuge Kassian and McDavid haven’t played much together.

44 minutes during the regular season. 2 GF 0 GA. xGF 45.9%

In the past two seasons, 116 min; 5-5. xGF% 35%

No, he can’t play both lines.

My memory failed me a bit on this. I’d remembered Nuge’s on ice numbers with McDavid as being pretty poor (propped by percentages) but they’re not nearly as bad as I thought. Nuge-McDavid works alright in theory and in reality.

And yes, small sample on Nuge-McDavid-Kassian as a line so it’s tough to tell.

Hopefully all of them are better this evening, whoever they end up playing with.

111. Side says:

leadfarmer:
    Please dont feed the hairy Harpy!!

HH isn’t a troll.

He’s a grown ass man with an almost 40 year grudge against a hockey team….

Trolls troll in the name of entertainment.

HH uses this forum as a dumping ground for his grudge and chases his posts down with some cheap whisky for approximately 12 hours a day. There is no entertainment value to be found.

Therapy is probably required.

Or an apology from Messier for being mean to him at a bar almost 40 years ago..

112. Lucinius says:

Calgary loses 3-2. Series tied 1-1. Hopefully the Jets can take the next 2.

113. flyfish1168 says:

Lucinius:
    Calgary loses 3-2. Series tied 1-1. Hopefully the Jets can take the next 2.

++++1

114. Side says:

Lucinius:
    Calgary loses 3-2. Series tied 1-1. Hopefully the Jets can take the next 2.

The Jets just need to outlast Tkachuk’s “accidental” hits long enough until the Flames implode, as per usual.

115. Harpers Hair says:

Side: HH isn’t a troll.

He’s a grown ass man with an almost 40 year grudge against a hockey team….

Trolls troll in the name of entertainment.

Therapy is probably required.

Or an apology from Messier for being mean to him at a bar almost 40 years ago..

I never drink cheap whisky.

116. Munny says:

godot10: Winning is a binary event.Margin is irrelevant.

Gutsy prediction…

117. Reja says:

One down one to go in Oilerville it’s going to be damn Good Day Book it.

118. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

Lucinius:
    Calgary loses 3-2. Series tied 1-1. Hopefully the Jets can take the next 2.

Copp and Lowry doing all they can to hold that C group together.

119. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny: Gord, no, that wasn’t nerves in my opinion.Far from it.

That was a team that thought they could just roll over the Hawks.That thought the teams’ two records had already decided the series.That thought they didn’t have to play smart, do the little things, take away time and space, and actually check to the win the game. That was a team that thought they could win in a track meet.

That was a team of Izzy Mandelbaums…

And we’ve all seen our players perform this script before.We saw it just a few days earlier against the Flames. Scoring first didn’t help either

Have to agree with this generally – I don’t think it was nerves that led to sloppy play and, perceived, lack of effort and urgency and mistakes – my god, the mistakes – coverage mistakes primarily.

120. flyfish1168 says:

Harpers Hair: RNH has 7 points in 14 career playoff games.

Kubalik has 5 points in 1 career playoff game.

Let’s see where he sits after his 14th game. He may $hit the bed the rest of the way. Besides both players had roles much different till now.

121. Side says:

Harpers Hair: I never drink cheap whisky.

Sorry, I thought you said you drink Shelter Point.

My apologies.

122. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: RNH has 7 points in 14 career playoff games.

Kubalik has 5 points in 1 career playoff game.

As per usual, nothing to do with the post you are responding to.

The comparison in the context of the conversation you are trying to become part of is Kassian vs. Nugent-Hopkins.

Toews gets – Kubalik

McDavid gets – Kassian – no, citing Kassian is propagating a narrative.

McDavid gets – Nugent-Hopkins

123. Younger Oil says:

These games aren’t playoff games, are they? They are play-in games for the right to play in playoff games. A playoff team can’t win the draft lottery, so none of the teams that lose the play-ins can be considered as being in the playoffs.

It’ll be interesting to see how these stats are recorded in the long run, though.

124. Harpers Hair says:

flyfish1168: Let’s see where he sits after his 14th game.He may $hit the bed the rest of the way. Besides both players had roles much different till now.

I would be more worried about his second game if I were you.

OriginalPouzar: As per usual, nothing to do with the post you are responding to.

Toews gets – Kubalik

McDavid gets – Kassian – no, citing Kassian is propagating a narrative.

McDavid gets – Nugent-Hopkins

Toews gets Saad. McDavid get the clueless and useless Kassian.

Three against two. Playing with Kassian is like playing shorthanded all night.

126. dustrock says:

I too would like to see Nygard in. His speed will cause problems

Younger Oil:

The losers of the play-in round are in the class of
    1) Schrodinger’s Cat
    2) Half pregnant
    3) Trans-persons
    4) Photons
    They are both in the playoffs and not in the playoffs.

128. Harpers Hair says:

Toews gets – Kubalik

McDavid gets – Kassian – no, citing Kassian is propagating a narrative.

McDavid gets – Nugent-Hopkins

Nonsense.

You were touting RNH over Kubalík.

Do you think I can’t scroll up when you screw up?

dustrock:
    I too would like to see Nygard in. His speed will cause problems

Nygard in for Kassian would be the right move.

130. Gerta Rauss says:

Younger Oil:

The NHL and the PA agreed that all the teams currently playing are considered to have made the post season and points will be considered ‘playoff stats’

131. commonfan29 says:

Lowetide: If they lose to Chicago they’ll pick either 1 or 9-15.

How sure are we that Lafrenierre should be the pick if the worst and then best happens? Byfield is 10 months younger, significantly bigger and only one point off Lafrenierre’s NHLe (as far as I can tell).

132. Doug McLachlan says:

Here’s hoping that we comeback, run the table and are discussing the prospects of Connor lifting Stanley again next year too but, because Oilers, if we spit the bit and can’t get out of our way against Chicago then we ask, again, what about that draft.

One in eight chance of getting Lafreniere is better odds than we had to get McDavid when the balls went into that machine. First pick and we all know what we are doing.

If not the Oceanic winger, the Oilers would select 15th (unless Pittsburgh down 0-1 to MTL, Carolina up 2-0 over the NYR, and the Islanders up 1-0 to FLA, all lose their series and they also don’t get the 1st puck).

Some combination of those teams winning their series or losing but getting the first selection would give the Oilers one of pick 12th, 13th or 14th.

So, as per Lowetide’s list, we are looking at:

1 – Lafreniere

(assuming nobody slips from LT’s 2nd to 11th list)

12 – Zary

13 – Sanderson (honestly think he will be gone by 13 )

14 – Lundell

15 – Jarvis

Now beat Chicago and I can put these silly thoughts aside.

133. OriginalPouzar says:

Maksimov being loaned to CSKA Moscow until the start of NHL camps.

Fantastic news.

Berglund, Broberg, Lennstrom, Samorukov, Niemelainan, Rasanan – all with places to play this fall.

134. OilClog says:

Nuge should be paired back with his buddies while McDavid is double shifted with the other 3 sets of wingers until they all collapse on the trails and Tippet ls using Broberg for any position available.

Sheahan should also do everyone a favor, be honest with himself and realize he’s not at the pace the team currently needs him to be at and park himself in the garage.

Would love to see Nygard somehow added in, his forecheck is sorely missed against these Hawks.

Klef and Lars need to show up tonight or their chances of being shipped out when all the dust settles will severely increase as Holland has no attachment.

I’d ice Jones over Russell as well but the coach is already miserable enough. Tipps has some faith he needs to restore, looked like the rookie coach last outing.

Oilers put up 5, Koskinen allows one to peak through and we all worry with fear Smith still gets game 3.

135. flyfish1168 says:

Harpers Hair: I would be more worried about his second game if I were you.

I’m not a worrying type. It’s not life altering for me and just a little bragging rights for a few minutes. But it is nice to have them rights for the moment

136. Todd Macallan says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Maksimov being loaned to CSKA Moscow until the start of NHL camps.

Fantastic news.

137. Reja says:

godot10: Nygard in for Kassian would be the right move.

If Kass doesn’t start using the body and working the corners he’s useless.

138. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

This is the Kassian we need tonight.

No less than this will be accepted.

139. Tesla's Hair says:

I must disagree with Side, you are entertainment. You make my blood to boil, with those one sentence slingers when Oilers lose, but thats on me. I doubt you drink cheap whiskey after reading your expensive epicurean recipes. But I am interested in hearing more of your Oilers history. Did you really take on Messier in a bar or is that hearSidesay?

140. Tesla's Hair says:

Enough 1st round #1picks, lets trade it for 4 other picks and give 3 of those choices to LT. We can’t afford 1st-5 in draft anymore, we rush them, we lose a year or two of their prime time and they hit our cap. We got 97 and 29, time to double down and sell high/buy low.

141. Younger Oil says:

If we get the #1 pick, my question would be what would you have to add to it to get #3 and #5 from Ottawa?

Stuetzle and Holtz would extend this team’s window by a few years.

142. flea says:

godot10: Toews gets Saad.McDavid get the clueless and useless Kassian.

Three against two.Playing with Kassian is like playing shorthanded all night.

You don’t think McDavid has a say in who he plays with?

Kassian has consistently been on his wing all year. McDavid wants him there – no doubt.

You can pile on Kassian but if they can’t produce, it’s on McDavid too.

143. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: I asked Puck Pedia:

Only PIT, CAR, NYI had a higher P% out of the qualifying teams so that would mean, if they lose to Chicago, they would pick either 1 or 12-15, I think?

144. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: Brandon Saad is a high 2nd round draft pick who only dropped out of the lottery because of off ice events in his draft year.

and Saad’s games played and points pretty much were the same as Kassian this year.

So:

Toes gets Saad, who is comparable to Kass this year and Kubalik who is comparable to Nuge this year.

Yes, Saad and Kubalik ate the lunch of Kass and Nuge on Saturday but Toews also ate McDavid’s lunch.

Tesla’s Hair:
    Enough 1st round #1picks, lets trade it for 4 other picks and give 3 of those choices to LT.We can’t afford 1st-5 in draft anymore, we rush them, we lose a year or two of their prime time and they hit our cap. We got 97 and 29, time to double down and sell high/buy low.

Lafreniere is exactly what the Oilers need. Plug-and-play. Means the Oilers can bargain Athanasiou down from his qualifying offer before the Oilers have to make it.

146. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: Hits don’t matter.Doing his job winning board battles, and not making any defensive mistakes does.

I don’t think he won a board battle on Satruday.

When Kassian brings his “3rd line game” to 1RW, he can play effectively and help the line.

OriginalPouzar: and Kassian was a high 1st round pick who’s career has had speedbumps due to off-ice events.

So:

If you think Kassian is remotely anything like Saad, those must be some pretty strong hallucinagens that you have been taking.

148. OriginalPouzar says:

oilersfan:
    I haven’t watched all the western conference games…

Same thing with Hughson and Simpson in the east – I think they are only doing the games involving the Canadian teams that are broadcast nationally in Canada in full. The other games, they are picking up the regional/NBC broadcast.

OriginalPouzar: and, when Kassian is skating and aggressive his overall game improves and he wins board battles and makes plays.

The only certainty in this game is that Kassian is going to screw up trying to make up for his abominable first game. What remains to be determined is if the Oilers can win despite Kassian.

150. Scungilli Slushy says:

Reja: If Kass doesn’t start using the body and working the corners he’s useless.

And covering the point

He lets a lot of shots come from his side

LD should be worried about him with his Nasty and breakaway speed

They probably relish clean slapshots at the net

151. Reja says:

I’m still pissed we aren’t kicking back watching Calgary and Winnipeg beat the snot out of each other. We got fucked by Dallas still don’t get it should have been the top 2 teams in each division. Anyway it’s already a must win game I haven’t really questioned Tippett all year can’t blame him for starting Smith probably would have done the same thing. It’s his stubbornness to not reunite Nuge with Yamo and Leon thats pissing me off it just doesn’t make sense they were the best line in the league for months.

152. Reja says:

godot10: The only certainty in this game is that Kassian is going to screw up trying to make up for his abominable first game.What remains to be determined is if the Oilers can win despite Kassian.

He’s going to score tonight.

153. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

godot10: Lafreniere is exactly what the Oilers need.Plug-and-play.Means the Oilers can bargain Athanasiou down from his qualifying offer before the Oilers have to make it.

I’ll maintain the same unpopular opinion I’ve had for a while: trade it to bolster the roster and prospect pool’s quality. For some reason, the Oilers struggle to not ice a sub-40% goal share bottom-6 and this HAS to end. If it takes trading HIGH picks to do it, I’m all for it.

1st overall and Neal for a package of players and prospects that balance out the team.

154. Harpers Hair says:

Tesla's Hair:
    I must disagree with Side, you are entertainment. You make my blood to boil, with those one sentence slingers when Oilers lose, but thats on me. I doubt you drink cheap whiskey after reading your expensive epicurean recipes.But I am interested in hearing more of your Oilers history.Did you really take on Messier in a bar or is that hearSidesay?

We bumped into each other (literally) in a nightclub.

He glowered.

I left (quickly).

155. OriginalPouzar says:

GB&Q:
    i would like to see Nygaard in for… ?
    and a burner on each line.

For Nuge, as 1LW

Nuge moving to 2LW,

Ennis moving to 3LW,

AA, him, maybe moving to 1RW.

156. OriginalPouzar says:

Younger Oil:

The stats for the qualifying games will count towards playoff stats even though the league has also stated that the qualifying games aren’t officially “playoff games” for various other purposes.

157. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: Nonsense.

You were touting RNH over Kubalík.

Do you think I can’t scroll up when you screw up?

158. OilClog says:

RNH has had 5 point games as a rookie too, but hey Shiney Old man rookie horse toy thingy.

159. OriginalPouzar says:

Todd Macallan: As per Mark Divver on Twitter, Tomas Mazura will be starting the season in Finland with HIFK (u20) while awaiting the ushl season starting also.

Thanks.

I think there has been lots of shifting with Mazura – I think he was originally planning on college (Providence) and then decided that a year in Chicago (USHL) was best and, now, given Covid, some junior Liiga.

160. OriginalPouzar says:

flea: You don’t think McDavid has a say in who he plays with?

You can pile on Kassian but if they can’t produce, it’s on McDavid too.

I’m going to guess the McDavid wants the fall 2019 Kassian and not the winter (or summer) 2020 Kassian as that player is not good and hurts the line and the team.

Come on Kass….

161. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Tesla's Hair:

Last name “Hair”…hmmm, must be some relation

162. OilClog says:

Penguins are double shifting the big 2 and stuffing it down Montreal’s throat. Hopefully Tipps has similar ideas.

163. OriginalPouzar says:

Some rumblings that Khaira may not be in the lineup tonight.

I would guess it would be Haas for playing center and potential PK replacement if its true.

164. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: No, I was touting RNH over Kassian – the actual comparison that Godot should have made if he was being honest.

LOL.

I hope you have a competent legal secretary.

165. OriginalPouzar says:

Harpers Hair: LOL.

I hope you have a competent legal secretary.

I responded to a comment comparing Toews having Kubalik as a linemate to McDavid having Kassian as a linemate. My response was that the more apt comparison was to Nuge as a linemate, not Kassian.

I have two of them, and they are call “assistants’.

Have a great night – I’ve got a hockey game to prepare for.

166. tileguy says:

OilClog,

It’s never easy being an Oilers fan.

167. jp says:

godot10: Toews gets Saad.McDavid get the clueless and useless Kassian.

Three against two.Playing with Kassian is like playing shorthanded all night.

It doesn’t really matter… But how do you explain McDavid’s on ice numbers on the year being better with Kassian than without?

This applies even after January 1st when Draisaitl wasn’t part of the equation AND when Kassian was struggling.

I’m honestly not sure how to reconcile these things.

168. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Some rumblings that Khaira may not be in the lineup tonight.

Good at least haas has a high compete level and will draw a penalty tonight if Khaira doesn’t want to hit and work the boards he’ll find himself in the ECHL in 2 years.

169. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: Maksimov being loaned to CSKA Moscow until the start of NHL camps.
    Fantastic news.

Great news for sure.

It’ll be a bit more difficult for the NA players to find a spot to play in Europe but hopefully at least some of them do. And hopefully developmental leagues do actually play next season!

170. Munny says:

Malkin is so good.

171. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair: no.

We bumped into each other (literally) in a nightclub.

He glowered.

I left (quickly).

Bad Hair day?🙈

172. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Munny:
    Malkin is so good.

I was just thinking the same thing…when he wants to dominate…he does.

173. OilClog says:

I’m waiting for Kelly Hrudey to peel off the Cassie Campbell mask, only then to peel off the Kelly Hrudey Mask to present a face that is both Kelly Hrudey and Cassie Campbell at once.

Kelly Campbell will then jump upon a white steed draped in Flames gear and ride off towards the moon.

Where a fellow named Drew is waiting with some tea and question. Have you ever met my friend Joe?

174. Munny says:

Archie replaces Kassian on L1 per CHED.

175. OriginalPouzar says:

From pre-game warm-ups, Archie and Kass switched but Nuge indeed staying at 1LW.

176. Reja says:

OilClog:

What about the big nose button mask.

177. treevojo says:

Hey

Been a while.

My satellite went down in March and haven’t got it fixed yet.

Any good free streams I can watch on my phone.

Thanks in advance.

178. leadfarmer says:

How am I supposed to watch Oilers on Nbcsn when Pitt game just started 3rd on NbcSN
    Yes I’m complaining there’s too much hockey on

179. jp says:

Munny:
    Archie replaces Kassian on L1 per CHED.

OriginalPouzar:

Blank slate line.

Just 57 seconds together during the year. 0-1 shots.

180. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

OriginalPouzar:

This is a clear message: know your role!

181. jake70 says:

Munny:
    Archie replaces Kassian on L1 per CHED.

182. jp says:

treevojo:
    Hey

Been a while.

My satellite went down in March and haven’t got it fixed yet.

Any good free streams I can watch on my phone.

Thanks in advance.

onhockey.tv

Has worked well for me. Never tried on my phone though.

183. Munny says:

treevojo,

Bilasport isn’t the pop-up hell that onhockey can be, might work better for phones.

184. jp says:

jake70: Did Archie not play well with 97 at one point? Can’t remember who was on other wing at the time..Kass?

144 minutes. 8-5 goals (61.5%)

But only 41% SF and 41% xGF

185. treevojo says:

jp: onhockey.tv

Has worked well for me. Never tried on my phone though.

Thanks. I just found this Bila sport site and it’s seems to be working good for the penguins game so we will see how it goes.

186. jp says:

treevojo,

I might try that one next time too!

(got it on a TV tonight)

187. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer:
    Yes I’m complaining there’s too much hockey on

Ya, the PIT/MTL game was delayed for half an hour because of the OT/SO game earlier.

188. Munny says:

It might have been. I do prefer Archie on the left side.

189. OriginalPouzar says:

jp:
    Blank slate line.

Just 57 seconds together during the year. 0-1 shots.

but 144 minutes for the McDavid/Archie duo – negative possession but 8-5 goals

190. jp says:

AA-Haas-Kassian would make some sense.

Edit:
    Likewise
    Neal-Haas-Chiasson
    AA-Sheahan-Kassian
    I guess

191. Hockey Project says:

Another place for coverage: /r/nhl_games at reddit.

192. OriginalPouzar says:

Allright, the Oilers should please win this game.

193. flyfish1168 says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual:
    This is the Kassian we need tonight.

No less than this will be accepted.

I hope they remind him before the game what he is capable of

194. OriginalPouzar says:

McDavid line starts against the Toews line and Keith/Boquist.

Looks like Tip not interested in getting McDavid away from Toews or Keith.

195. Munny says:

It’s goooooo time!!!

#WeplayforColby

196. OriginalPouzar says:

19 seconds in for a goal is a good start.

197. Munny says:

That’s starting as you mean to go

198. jp says:

OK. Good start.

199. Gerta Rauss says:

oh baby that’s a nice start

200. Reja says:

There’s the emotion we’re looking for.

Newer Comments »