Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020: Oilers vs. Chicago Game 4

“They all look good in suits,” Craig MacTavish once famously said about one of the Oilers rookie camp rosters. They arrive as young men fulfilling a dream, and together build new dreams around glory and touching that big silver Stanley.

In Edmonton, since 1990, those dreams have either been dashed or made good in a second city. This year’s Oilers are in a tough spot, but the dream isn’t over for 2020. It’s not what happens to you, it’s what you do about it.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

OILERS 2020 PLAYOFFS

It’s uncertain who will draw in for Ennis but it does appear Athanasiou will get a look on the Draisaitl line for at least part of tonight. I’d run Haas or Nygard, depending on need. Oilers struggling in the dot but Haas is not strong in that area.

OILERS PLAYOFF CORSI FIVE ON FIVE

This is a dream Corsi set and speaks to what is a somewhat baffling 2-1 deficit in the series. The Oilers, from Dave Tippett appear confident, and we should see a desperate club late this afternoon. That doesn’t mean Edmonton will win, as we’ve seen in both the regular season and now the playoffs, the Blachkhawks are a tough matchup for the Oilers.

THE 2020 DRAFT

This is the Bob McKenzie top-16 list and NHLE’s, with my ranking for the players. Men like Mavrik Bourque, Connor Zary and Seth Jarvis are in fact part of my top-20 rankings, and it’s my belief (based on Holland/Wright’s past) the QMJHL and Swedish prospects probably grade out higher than average on the Edmonton list.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260, we kickstart an incredible weekend of live sports! Steve Lansky from the Inside The Truck podcast will talk Oilers, SC playoffs and Tim Dancy. Matt Iwanyk will join me for Point-Counter Point and talk trees and elimination games in the bubble. Corey Graham, Oil Kings PBP broadcaster, will give us an update on the status of the 2020-21 WHL season. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

558 Responses to "Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020: Oilers vs. Chicago Game 4"

Newer Comments »
  1. SVR says:

Come on Woodguy, this could be the last game of the season. We shouldn’t leave anything to chance!

Clap clap!

2. ArmchairGM says:

Six (count em!) elimination games today, in succession. Maybe I can get the afternoon off?

3. Brantford Boy says:

Calm your tits everyone… there’s no way the best player on the planet is going to let this game slip… tomorrow is another day… let’s just hope Larsson is ready to go.

If not, I can’t believe Dawson Mercer might be an option…

Let’s Go Oilers!

4. ArmchairGM says:

Who starts? I’d 100% go with Koskinen again, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Tippett will go back to Smith. IMO we’re only in this position because of Tippett’s bias towards Smith so I don’t think he’s the answer.

5. SVR says:

If Oilers lose looks like Mercer could be in the range. That would be a great result imo.

6. SVR says:

Brantford Boy:

If not, I can’t believe Dawson Mercer might be an option…

Let’s Go Oilers!

Beat me to it

7. PokeCheck says:

ArmchairGM:
    Who starts?

I think we stack both horizontally and hope for the best.

8. JOFA says:

TESLA’S HAIRsays:
    August 7, 2020 at 7:37 am
    Does anyone know the moment when we lost Pouzar? Woodguy? Andy? Dave? Any analytics on what caused their last game at LTs.

Is there a succession plan in place if LT decides to go on a holiday? When you follow a charismatic leader usually the place burns down when they leave the building or go over the hill and far away.

Does LT have a board of directors to make sure LT lives on and on and on even when the founder moves on to white on white and takes take a sabbattical with his family?!

This place is so fricken awesome baby!!!

9. Elgin R says:

What is with Klefbom? When KRusty has a better Corsi when playing his off side something is not right.

McDavid needs to do the Aaron Rogers and tell everyone to R-E-L-A-X (shoutout to Brantford Boy).

Oilers have been the better team 5 x 5 and on special teams this series. No dumb penalties and this game is ours!

PS. I know Tippet reads this blog before putting together his starting lineup. So Dave, start Mikko!

10. JOFA says:

JOFA:
    TESLA’S HAIRsays:
    August 7, 2020 at 7:37 am

This place is so fricken awesome baby!!!

Lol Great question Tesla!

Burn it to the ground I say! That or Ziggy takes over😊

11. Elgin R says:

Jofa

An AI program is being written (funded by the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation through your 50/50 contributions) to duplicate LT’s writing in case of an extended absence. Coders have reported that picking the ‘song’ title references is the most difficult sub-routine.

12. slopitch says:

Go oilers! clap clap

13. meanashell11 says:

I have no idea what team will show up tonight. I have no idea what goalie will show up.

Not exactly confident.

14. OilClog says:

Cherry picked stats, trolls, and original proclamations drove off the guys with the desires to share all the sweet complete stats with us 😔

I miss red and blue circles, and Nuge always having a sexy circle.

15. flea says:

What’s worse?

Win today and lose tomorrow?

or lose today?

I want that game 5 no matter what happens in it!

16. OilClog says:

meanashell11:

Not exactly confident.

I nominated Broberg he is currently rocking a 100% save percentage and I imagine could win a face off with pads on.

17. Elgin R says:

flea,

This is setting up perfect for a deep playoff run. Mikko wins tonight and then Smith comes in a wins Saturday thus restoring his confidence and the teams confidence in him.

Oilers in 5 (re-issued from my original ‘Oilers in 3 -4’ statement)

18. Brantford Boy says:

Elgin R,

LT Blog Rules:

Rule #1: We do not talk about an extended absence
    Rule #2: We do not talk about an extended absence
    Rule #3: No Politics
    Rule #4: No Religion
    Rule #5: No Flames or Canucks fans welcome… ever!
    Rule #69: No erectile dysfunction drugs

His name is Allan Mitchell, his name is Allan Mitchell, his name is Allan Mitchell!

Go Oilers!
    #WeSkateForColby

19. OilClog says:

Is there any way they could slap the Ennis jersey on Gagner, he’s gotta be close by.

The blog has lost and gained wonderful posters over these 15 years and I do hope we keep going for another 15. God willing and the creek don’t rise.

As for folks who have left, or visit less frequently than previously, let them live. We all ebb and flow, priorities in other areas force us to spend time doing other things.

From changing diapers to working 16-hour days, the folks who visit here are generally owners and managers. If they’re not here, there’s a reason.

It’s also true that people morph in their knowledge of analytics. Some find this place a fantastic way to get involved, digest everything and begin pushing the conversation. There’s a time when those folks move on too, and I think we’re at that point in time currently.

It’s all good. You are welcome here, but it should always be a place you want to be. If it isn’t, then it’s time to sail on, hope to see you down the line.

That’s the way I view the blog, old friends and new.

21. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

SVR:

Clap clap!

Calling all Woodies!!!

22. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

JOFA:
    TESLA’S HAIRsays:
    August 7, 2020 at 7:37 am

This place is so fricken awesome baby!!!

Would the real Woodguy please stand up??!! 😉

23. jtblack says:

That’s the way I view the blog, old friends and new.

OH and perfectly said as always …

can we agree on one thing? If there is one thing that Oilers Fans are owed today, it’s a Game 4 win 🙂

Give us some bounces for a Game 4 win. And we will roll the dice in Game 5.

jtblack: OH and perfectly said as always …

Give us some bounces for a Game 4 win.And we will roll the dice in Game 5.

Shiza happens.

25. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

The current Oilers seem to play their best hockey in one of two modes:
    1- desperation hockey / crazy efforts 100% of shifts
    2- well structured and positional – with strong puck support – 100% effort

The goal is to play #2 mode 100% of the time.

Tonight (and Gord willing tomorrow), I will take either to get to the play-offs…the way it was supposed to be before the world went sideways…

Go Oilers! Leave it all on the ice Boys!

26. Elgin R says:

Not this time LT! Oilers get all the ‘puck luck’ with a small dose of ‘ref luck’ thrown in. Oilers win 6-2.

27. jtblack says:

Lowetide: Lol. Well, hockey doesn’t work that way. I will tell you, without an ounce of hyperbole, that the Oilers outplayed the Islanders in every game during the 1983 final and lost in four straight.

Shiza happens.

yah. it can be a strange game. I see the series as fairly even so far. Coughing up a late lead last game really hurt the Oilers. BUT, I think this team has matured. Sports is about winning and performing your best at the right time.

If Edmonton or any team wants to WIN and advance, the team is required to perform their best when that time comes. The time is NOW. Edmonton needs 2 of their best games ever. Starting with today.

If they don’t come out and earn it, there will be another off season of soul searching …. But perhaps Edmonton is ready to write a different story …. one of perserverence and determination. One of finding a way.

LET’S GO OILERS !!!!!!!!!

28. jimdewger says:

Your blog has been a bright light for years and an enjoyable part of the day for many of us. Thanks for all you do.

29. dustrock says:

Already can’t access the 50/50 lol.

LET’S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

30. tileguy says:

Brantford Boy:
    Can someone else hit refresh on this search for awhile… my fingers are getting sore…

Can’t, too busy refreshing 50/50.

31. ArmchairGM says:

Oilers projected lineup as per NHL.com:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins — Connor McDavid — Josh Archibald

Andreas Athanasiou — Leon Draisaitl — Kailer Yamamoto

James Neal — Riley Sheahan — Zack Kassian

Gaetan Haas — Jujhar Khaira — Alex Chiasson

Oscar Klefbom — Adam Larsson

Darnell Nurse — Ethan Bear

Kris Russell — Matt Benning

Mikko Koskinen

Can anyone confirm? Speeds?

32. Réal Goudenyéu says:

meanashell11:

Not exactly confident.

A tale as old as time.

33. tileguy says:

I wonder if it might be a good idea to dress 7 D today in case Larson is not effective playing with a nagging injury. You could then alternately double shift 97 or 29 as your #4C.

34. Tesla's Hair says:

Would you laugh if Smith started?!

Many LT folks are managers, lawyers, and bankers. Maybe they disappear when the IT manager calls their boss up… ive done some research…it looks like we have some heavy visiting by your Albertan associates during your monday morning briefings to a music, whiskey and statsp**n site called Lowetide. What should we do?

A few momemts later the IT manager signs up to wordpress and becomes a loyal follower trying to post before Woodguy and OP do.

35. Oilbridge403 says:

ArmchairGM,

if I were Tipp, I would run these lines in order to double shift Connor and Leon,

Neal – Mcdavid – Kassian
    RNH – Drai – Yammo
    Athanasiou – Sheadan – Archibald
    Haas – JJ – Chiasson

In Sheadan spot, you can double shit 97/29/93.

They need to start tying up the sticks in the dzone, whether net front or up in the slot. And direct more pucks to the Fricken Net already!!!

I hope that Koski gets he nod!

36. OriginalPouzar says:

No pre-game media avail today so we’ll need to wait until warm-ups to know anything re: goalie, Larsson, forward lines, etc.

37. Lucinius says:

Well, here’s hoping to an Oiler win tonight.

And a 50/50 I don’t need to constantly refresh to try and give my money away. I’ve been refreshing it routinely for nearly 2 hours now and still can’t get in. I know their back-end is bad, but.. in this day and age, this is Buffalo Sabres levels of bad.

Oh well. Worst that happens is I don’t get into the 50/50 and lose.

38. Pescador says:

tileguy: Can’t, too busy refreshing 50/50.

Grrrrrr!!

39. Tesla's Hair says:

If you cant run a 50:50 site, how can you manage a hockey team?

40. PREDICKTER says:

In that #nhlready commercial they keep showing on sportsnet, is it just me, or does Jim Hughson look like he is auditioning for an older Jim Carrey in Cable Guy 2?

41. "Steve Smith" says:

Will you keep it down? Some of us are trying to sleep.

“Steve Smith”:

Will you keep it down?Some of us are trying to sleep.

AHA

43. Dee Dee says:

Which Goalie starts tonight?

How about the one that can steal you a game if needed.

I don’t really see a difference between the two myself. Koski seems bigger and blocks more of the net but is less mobile, Smith can perform some Acrobatics but has moments of crazy.

I think Smith has helped Koski handle the puck better over the year.

But the rest of the team has not done much to help either Goalie. If they spend the entire second period in the penalty box again, they are done like dinner. The Oilers just haven’t seemed to Jell since the break

I’m not sure why Tippett moved Nuge off the Draisaitl line, I’d be tempted to go down with the Ship reuniting that line at least.

In terms of this site Mr Lowetide can certainly run it any way he see’s fit, but I am getting tired of the resident Trolly Troll doing his Troll act, probably more tired of the folks who choose to engage the Troll constantly instead of just ignoring him. Guessing 75% of the comments are just that alone.

Leaving would just make the Troll happier I suspect, but i feel the site had more engagement when he wasn’t around, for me at least.

44. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909 2020 Playoff Death March™ LAST CHANCE TEXACO

Enter Now!

It’s free! It’s easy!

Returning Players: Use your original names for continuity purposes. Thank you for your cooperation

45. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Tesla’s Hair:
    If you cant run a 50:50 site, how can you manage a hockey team?

I Also can’t get my 50/50 tickets.

DAMMIT PEOPLE LET ME GAMBLE!!!

46. oilersfan says:

Stan Weir contracted covid 19.

Now Covid has to be quarantined for 14 days

47. OriginalPouzar says:

There have been some great goals in this NYI/FLA game – talented passes by the likes of Huberdeau and Barzal.

48. Darth Tu says:

Tesla's Hair:
    Would you laugh if Smith started?!

This made me chuckle, and it’s very on point. There’s a bunch of fairly heavy hitting professionals posting in here. Possibly more than one IT manager too.

49. oilersfan says:

Stan Weir has a grizzly bear carpet in his room.

Its not dead, its just afraid to move

50. OilersFuture says:

slopitch: I was almost expecting a Stan Weir post today The man can drown a fish and we could use that on our side. Force the puck luck today fellas and 456 stay out of the box.
    Go oilers! clap clap

I thought the same thing and had to head to work.

I think we need a little Stan Weir luck …

Connor McDavid wears Stan Weir’s jersey.
    Stan Weir’s feet don’t get blisters his skates do
    Elliot Friedman is jealous of his beard.
    He never bleeds his own blood
    He once brought a mini-stick to a playoff game just to even the odds
    The Stanley Cup resists the urge to touch him
    COVID has to stay 6 feet away from him
    His tears are the cure for COVID too bad he doesn’t cry
    He is able to purchase a 50/50 ticket on the first try.
    He is Stan Weir …

51. Tesla's Hair says:

Crazy Pedestrian: I agree. But in their defence, I’m sure no site in history Running a 50/50 lottery has ever had this much site traffic and Demand for tickets.

I Also can’t get my 50/50 tickets.

DAMMIT PEOPLE LET ME GAMBLE!!!

They shouldve had Hunter brought in to consult them…its a nobrainer.

52. Munny says:

Stan Weir can cut through a hot knife with butter.

53. BONE207 says:

Lt’s first chart sure has a lot of zeros! It sure would be nice to pop some of those balloons today.

Go Oilers

54. London Jon says:

Stan Weir never retreats, he just attacks in a different direction

55. London Jon says:

oilersfan:
    Stan Weir contracted covid 19.

Now Covid has to be quarantined for 14 days

👏 👏

56. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM:

I agree that Smith starting game 1 was a poor choice but I can’t agree that we are only in this position because of it.

The team has not been sharp in any game yet.

57. London Jon says:

You can’t lose a series 3-1 without at least TRYING the hottest line in the NHL together

Can you?!?!

58. jake70 says:

London Jon:

Can you?!?!

Well, Jaws could go underwater with 3 barrels on him, with 3 he could, so anything is possible….. 😉 (sorry..silly humour but Shark week comming up)

59. Munny says:

Stan Weir never turns on a shower. He just stares at it till it cries hot tears…

60. Durag says:

OriginalPouzar: The team as a whole has brought their F, B- and D game in the three games (my personal grades).

I very much agree with that assessment. I wonder what having their backs against the wall will bring out of them?

61. oilersfan says:

Stan Weir was the main character in all the Star Wars movies.

He was the force

62. OriginalPouzar says:

OilClog:

I miss red and blue circles, and Nuge always having a sexy circle.

What are “original proclimations”?

63. London Jon says:

McDavid has only played 39 minutes in the last 2 games. Nuge has played 2 minutes more. Drai 6 minutes more.

Seems strange not to be maxing out McDavid TOI.

Thoughts on why this might be the case?

64. Munny says:

Apparently Cochrane AB is not actually in Alberta, as I’ve been geo-loc blocked from buying 50/50 tickets.

65. Tesla's Hair says:

I don’t know who Stan Weir is so I looked him up and found this from PWM… http://www.paulwmartin.ca/blog/?p=323

“Lowetide is quickly becoming one of my favourite blogs. This is Stan Weir.

Stan Weir once played 18 holes of golf using a 12 inch strip of rebar and a sun dried tomato. He shot a 54.”
    ==
    And this article from 12 years ago by Staples.

HARDCORE OILERS FAN PIN PLAYOFF HOPES ON STAN WEIR

“Fear the Weir!” wrote one of them on LT’s discussion board”

66. Munny says:

London Jon:

Seems strange not to be maxing out McDavid TOI.

Thoughts on why this might be the case?

Penalty Parade

67. jtblack says:

I expected more from Florida and the Rangers …. gone they be …gone ..

68. Leroy Draisdale says:

Munny:

Leduc isn’t either. What a sh#t show

69. OriginalPouzar says:

Tesla’s Hair:
    If you cant run a 50:50 site, how can you manage a hockey team?

The Oilers Foundation does not manage a hockey team.

70. London Jon says:

Munny: Penalty Parade

I think you still find more minutes than that for McDavid.

A crime to lose by a goal when he had 3/4 more minutes in him

71. OriginalPouzar says:

London Jon:

Seems strange not to be maxing out McDavid TOI.

Thoughts on why this might be the case?

Penalties and McDavid doesn’t PK.

72. Leroy Draisdale says:

Leroy Draisdale: Leduc isn’t either. What a sh#t show

Thought maybe it was an issue with my phone, but same message from deskltop.

Réal Goudenyéu: A tale as old as time.

McDavid — Beauty
    Draisaitl — Beast
    Kassian — Gaston

74. MushedPeas says:

Nor Banff, AB.

London Jon:

Seems strange not to be maxing out McDavid TOI.

Thoughts on why this might be the case?

Penalty-killing…incredible amounts of penalty killing.

76. Munny says:

I released and renewed my ip address and it had no effect.

I probably have location services turned off on this browser, might be doing it in.

77. Younger Oil says:

godot10: McDavid — Beauty
    Draisaitl — Beast
    Kassian — Gaston

NO…ONEEEE

KICKS like Zach-ston

HIGH STICKS like Zach-ston

Fails on a line with top PICKS like Zach-ston

His lack of effort is frustrating

No one gives up like Zach-ston!

78. oilersfan says:

When the Hulk gets extremely angry, he turns into Stan Weir

79. tileguy says:

OriginalPouzar: The Oilers Foundation does not manage a hockey team.

80. jake70 says:

OriginalPouzar: Penalties and McDavid doesn’t PK.

Todd M had him killing penalties I used to cringe. Now, in a must win game, I might get him out for last 20 to 30 seconds of PK if situation is right and tell him to avoid blocking shots at ALL costs. It might buy a bit of space-time at blue line as defenders mentally have one step already going back.

81. Munny says:

Cleared all cookies and site caches, released and renewd ip addy yet again, made sure location services were set to permission, and still blocked for not being in Alberta. Fuck this shit.

82. Pechetr says:

Munny,

Apparently so is Edmonton!!!!

83. PREDICKTER says:

Munny,

It don’t matter where you are at, it’s a problem with the site, too many people trying to access, apparently they are working on resolving the issue

84. Munny says:

Stan Weir once gave his diary to a publisher who released it to the public under the name “The Guinness Book of World Records”.

85. PokeCheck says:

I’m not sure why anyone would think that the fault’s at their end. The brain trust at 5050 Central is literally going to cost the Oilers Foundation millions today.

86. Tesla's Hair says:

tileguy: Relax OP, people are just warming up for the shit storm that is expected to hit around 8pm tonight.

OP well noted. You are correct, I made an egregious mistake. Just tell me from your legal lens where does the buck usually stop? BofD?

Kevin Lowe is the tallest person on their Oilers Foundation Board of Directors photo. I guess I just blame the person who didn’t appoint Hunter to the Board? He has seen it all during his deathmarch dayz. https://www.nhl.com/oilers/eocf/board-of-directors

Yes, I realize I will do almost anything, in order to take my mind away from how nervous I am about tonight. I will weep if McDavid, Drai, Nuge don’t progress in this years playoffs and it will be my last post for awhile.

PS. Anyone have any extra ayahuasca to share before this game?

!!! Go OILERS Go !!!!

87. ArmchairGM says:

ArmchairGM:

One down, 5 to go.

88. PREDICKTER says:

PokeCheck,

Yes. If site could handle the volume, this thing would sell out again.
    Probably around 13mil, with the tickets added.

89. hunter1909 says:

Munny:
    Cleared all cookies and site caches, released and renewd ip addy yet again, made sure location services were set to permission, and still blocked for not being in Alberta.Fuck this shit.

Solution: Type in “West Edmonton Mall” 3X on Google

The Internet will think you cannot possibly be anywhere else.

90. Craig Zonit says:

Younger Oil,

I have never experienced potential back-to-back elimination games, here’s hoping our hearts (and livers) can handle it. Win or lose, these Oilers do not at present play a reassuring style.

Champions are the breakfast of Stan Weir.

91. Munny says:

Gonna miss the game tonight, so keep the descriptions coming after puck drop, men.

92. Tesla's Hair says:

hunter1909: Solution: Type in “West Edmonton Mall” 3X on Google

The Internet will think you cannot possibly be anywhere else.

DAMN! I told you HUNTER is the Mike Weir of Web!!

93. Leroy Draisdale says:

Dessert Dogs getting doubled up on shots but leading 1-0 after the first

94. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

The dominoes are falling today in the elimination games…crazy.

95. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Is that when the draft party starts?

96. buck yoakam says:

Munny,

Hmmm… hot knives

97. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

PokeCheck:

Let’s hope the Oil show up tonight and don’t cost the Oilers Foundation millions more with no Game 5.

98. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

GordieHoweHatTrick:
    The dominoes are falling today in the elimination games…crazy.

Good. Looks like I jinxed it, NSH has tied it up 2-2

99. Tesla's Hair says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: Is that when the draft party starts?

You have almost put me over the edge with that comment.

100. wolf8888 says:

Munny:

So have I and I’m 200 M from Rogers Place. Curious

101. BONE207 says:

jake70: Todd M had him killing penaltiesI used to cringe.Now, in a must win game,I might get him out for last 20 to 30 seconds of PKif situation is right and tell him to avoid blocking shots at ALL costs.

Sure…then watch Godot & others crap on his compete level…😜

102. OriginalPouzar says:

Joanette last game and Kozari this game.

Oh well, if they give the same level is “willingness to engage” as last game, it won’t matter and, if they play to the level they can, it won’t matter the other way.

Just win!

103. Doug McLachlan says:

With the Islanders off to the first (second) round, that eliminates one more qualification team with a better record than the Oilers.

Should the Hockey Gords conspire to deny our Oilers this weekend, the Oilers will have a 12.5% chance to select 1st, a 37.5% chance to select 14th and a 50% chance to select 15th (this is not weighted on the fact that Pittsburgh is actually down 1-2 in its series with Montreal and is assuming it’s a 50/50 outcome in that series).

Should Montreal knock the Pens off the Oilers (should Chicago prevail) will be looking at a 12.5% chance at Lafreniere, 75% chance at picking 14th and a 12.5% chance of picking 15th.

Here is hoping this is all moot and the Oilers rally to take out Chicago and move on to either Dallas or St. Louis in round one (or two, whatever).

104. Reja says:

Refs put away whistles Oilers win 4-1 and set up a game 5.

105. Jethro Tull says:

Hi LT, long time poster, first time lurker here.

And did I see a “post” from “Steve” “Smith”?

If that isn’t good luck, then I don’t know what is.

106. Gerta Rauss says:

Jethro Tull: And did I see a “post” from “Steve” “Smith”?

That’s not his real name

107. BONE207 says:

iTesla's Hair: DAMN! I told you HUNTER is the Mike Weir of Web!!

Huh…I figured him to be more of a righty than a lefty…⛳

108. Jethro Tull says:

Gerta Rauss: That’s not his real name

Ya don’t say…..

109. flea says:

I’m not sure how it’s done, but impressed how they swap the ads on the boards for every game. Must be a huge pain in the ass!

110. PokeCheck says:

flea:
    They’re all removable vinyl strips. I’ve seen arena staff swap ads, mid-period, during commercial breaks at the ACC.

111. Darth Tu says:

Reja:
    Refs put away whistles Oilers win 4-1 and set up a game 5.

It’s funny that Harper’s Hair has been saying the refs putting away their whistles towards the end of the season and into the post season would hurt Oilers chances. Now it’s exactly what would help them, who’d have thunk it.

112. flea says:

Arizona Nashville head to OT. Oilers game might get pushed back a bit depending how long this goes.

113. Darth Tu says:

Forsberg is a bit of a player isn’t he? Nashville refusing to go out without a fight. Taylor Hall determined to win another draft lottery?

114. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Forsberg ties it with 32 seconds…
    Don’t need that kind of drama tonight

115. dustrock says:

From my IT friend on the 50/50:

These 50/50 guys are idiots if they’re trying to scale up on the server. One server can’t handle traffic like this even if you add processors and memory. They need to set up multiple servers and load balance them.

116. gregsaint says:

Rule change proposal: No icings for either team on the powerplay

117. Reja says:

Oesterle almost gets the winner we sure have a lot of serviceable D that’s still floating around the League we just can’t seem to find a D with hands that can sneak in and create high definition shots. I would think about dressing 7 D with Bouchard getting a push and Double shifting Leon Connor and Nuge. There is no tomorrow if we lose.

Reja:

The Oilers are not taking Klefbom off the power play. Benning is doing fine on the 3rd pair. So there is no icetime available for Bouchard.

The weakness is in the right D partner for Klefbom. Bouchard cannot fill that role at the moment.

If one is worried about Larsson, then Jones would be the 7th D to dress.

119. OriginalPouzar says:

Fosberg tied it up late and we have OT.

Nothing official yet but I’m sure the Oil game will be delayed.

The one 5 min OT/SO game delayed the start of the next game by 20 minutes and that’s without a full intermission before the OT started.

120. PREDICKTER says:

Jethro Tull: Ya don’t say…..

Actually, that’s his real name. That’s the best part of this whole “joke”

121. flea says:

OT is done, Arizona moves on

122. Younger Oil says:

Another Pacific team that Lafreniere can’t go to.

Small victories, I suppose.

David Polle makes his 30th something trip to the Pearly Gates.

Michael: Sorry, Try again next year Mr. Poile.

124. unca miltie says:

just put on my Al Hamilton jersey, getting serious now.

125. ArmchairGM says:

ArmchairGM:

Two down, 4 to go.

126. barry.moore23 says:

I’m at a watch party in Phoenix. By myself. At our office. Working . Big win for the Coyotes and all of Phoenix hockey.

127. flea says:

Oilers game starts at 5 pm now

128. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909 2020 Playoff Death March™

Enter Now!

It’s free! It’s easy!

Jethro Tull:

Hi LT, long time poster, first time lurker here.

And did I see a “post” from “Steve” “Smith”?

If that isn’t good luck, then I don’t know what is.

I heard he’s trying to get 50/50 tickets from (get this) Alberta! Crazy.

barry.moore23:

Great series by the dessert dogs.

131. Lucinius says:

Heh; only four people I know have been able to get into the 50/50; all got in post-Blocked part of today’s shit-show. All four live in Calgary and had zero issues.

The 50/50 today has been a textbook display of utter incompetence. Guys I know in IT are laughing as this is an hour to two hour fix, max. You scale the server capacity (which should have done prior to today, I mean.. who knew there’d be record demand?), and in the worst case scenario is you throttle the connection limits. I think. I don’t understand what they said entirely. Regardless, this looks real bad on the Foundation; they’ve done next to nothing of what they can do (public statements, going to the Alberta Gaming Commission to get an extension for the 50/50, etc.).

Just a complete joke all around, especially on what could (but hopefully not) the last Oiler 50/50 of the season.

132. OriginalPouzar says:

Start time pushed back to 5:01 mountain…..

133. Reja says:

unca miltie:
    just put on my Al Hamilton jersey, getting serious now.

Dave Dryden for myself. No way the Hockey Gods are letting us lose this one.

134. OriginalPouzar says:

Finally was able to get in on the 50/50 – think its up and running now.

135. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: The Oilers are not taking Klefbom off the power play.Benning is doing fine on the 3rd pair.So there is no icetime available for Bouchard.

The weakness is in the right D partner for Klefbom.Bouchard cannot fill that role at the moment.

If one is worried about Larsson, then Jones would be the 7th D to dress.

136. Younger Oil says:

Is 5:00 “Start Time” or puck drop?

137. JOFA says:

Benson in the line-up. Wow!!!!!

138. dessert1111 says:

I’d put in Bouchard today and probably Nygard up front. I’d be tempted for Benson but it’s a pretty high pressure game to throw a rookie into.

I’d also reunite RNH with Drai, I hate Athanasiou on that line, he looks better when he is the focal point of the puck movement on a line.

139. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

OriginalPouzar: Although I don’t think we’d see if from this coaching staff, there is the opportunity to increase Benning’s minutes and give him time with Klef. Klef/Benning do have VERY good numbers together.

That should be the play for the top 4
    Then some Krusty-Jones type combo

140. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

JOFA:
    Benson in the line-up. Wow!!!!!

Cereal??

141. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Bye bye Pens

142. OriginalPouzar says:

Koskinen starts!

143. OriginalPouzar says:

Haas and P. Russell both on the ice for warm-up.

Larsson is not on the ice for warm-up – both Jones and Lagesson are.

144. OriginalPouzar says:

People are not going to be happy with Nuge not re-united with Drai:
    Daniel Nugent-Bowman

@DNBsports
    2m

Oilers lines and pairings:

RNH-McDavid-Archibald

Athanasiou-Draisaitl-Yamamoto

Khaira-Sheahan-Kassian

Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Bear

Klefbom-Russell

Jones-Benning

145. OriginalPouzar says:

JOFA:
    Benson in the line-up. Wow!!!!!

Of course not.

146. JOFA says:

No Benson? Hmmmmm….maybe next year😄

147. Gerta Rauss says:

GordieHoweHatTrick:
    Bye bye Pens

So the Oilers draft position is 1 or 14 if they lose to CHI

Something in the 20s (give or take a spot or 2) if they get past CHI and advance

148. JOFA says:

Gerta Rauss: So the Oilers draft position is 1 or 14 if they lose to CHI

Something in the 20s(give or take a spot or 2) if they get past CHI and advance

Go Chicago?

149. ArmchairGM says:

ArmchairGM:

Three for three so far…

150. Gerta Rauss says:

JOFA: Go Chicago?

nah

the boys will win tonight…pretty sure anyway

151. Reja says:

JOFA: Go Chicago?

Not tonight Refs let them play.

152. JOFA says:

OriginalPouzar: Of course not.

Just making sure you’re focused for the game OP😉

153. unca miltie says:

Reja,

you must be old. LOL

154. pts2pndr says:

Elgin R:
    What is with Klefbom?When KRusty has a better Corsi when playing his off side something is not right.

Oilers have been the better team 5 x 5 and on special teams this series.No dumb penalties and this game is ours!

PS.I know Tippet reads this blog before putting together his starting lineup.So Dave, start Mikko!

To not get dumb penalties you need smart officials. So far the best you could give them is major junior quality officiating at best. The fix is in.

155. Bag of Pucks says:

Man, Tallon reportedly out for the Panthers being ousted.

Dale added a lot of good pieces: Quennenville, Bobrovsky, Hofffman, Acciari, Connolly, etc.

By my eye, the core failing of that team is the draft core of Barkov, Huberdeau and Ekblad underachieving in the playoffs.

Second time this HC has gotten this GM fired. There’s a lesson in there somewhere about misplaced loyalty. Trotz got more out of his roster than Coach Q.

156. tileguy says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Koskinen starts!

Who starts tomorrow?

157. pts2pndr says:

That’s the way I view the blog, old friends and new.

Thank you for all you do! I absolutely love this site!

158. Lucic n Chong says:

How many penalties will Gary Bettman’s henchmen call against the Oilers tonight?

GOILERS let the free world win!

159. OriginalPouzar says:

Beautiful goal to start!

160. Zelepukin says:

that was unexpected money. The hard rim, the pick up, the hard pass across and an actual one timer goal from someone other than Drai.

161. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Beautiful goal to start!

It’s time for a real deal goal.

162. OriginalPouzar says:

Zelepukin:

Archie flubbed it a bit – if he didn’t, probably doesn’t go in – I’ll take the puck luck.

163. Reja says:

tileguy: Who starts tomorrow?

Smith.

164. Professor Q says:

That’s not a bad start at all, when you’re against the ropes.

I was worried that we’d be on to the draft posts by now.

To victory!

165. OriginalPouzar says:

I”m not sure if that was good shift or a bad shift for AA….

166. OriginalPouzar says:

Damn, Mikko slow across on the wrap and its tied.

167. Gerta Rauss says:

ffs

we actually won that D zone draw

168. OriginalPouzar says:

Oh, that was going in front and Russell tipped it in – his 2nd of the series…..

169. Reja says:

When’s Russell gone

170. Younger Oil says:

That’s Russell’s third own goal of the series.

171. tileguy says:

Mikko was actually there to stop the wrap around, bad luck it went off 4

172. Lucinius says:

Can I just start twitching now?

This team was the best of times.. and the worst of times.

173. JOFA says:

Klef should have reversed that

174. Hockey Project says:

LOL… Apart from everything else, the Hawks haven’t been hurting for lucky bounces. Tip-ins, goals on multiple deflections, etc.

175. striatic says:

Shot blocking is necessary and something of an instinct, but Russell IS aware his team has a goalie, right?

At a certain point the chaos he creates directly on the Goalie’s doorstep becomes a huge liability.

176. Hockey Project says:

striatic:

I’ve not made a nickel in hockey, but I would guess that the day he stops blocking very many shots, he’s out of this league. It’s pretty much his entire game.

177. Gerta Rauss says:

jesus h

178. OriginalPouzar says:

So much for tying up sticks in front……

179. Mr.Snrub says:

Get Mikko out of there before it’s too late. I realize Mike Smith is cold and looked terrible in game 1 but sticking with the big Finn now is suicide.

180. fuzzy muppet says:

Where is the defense? God awful.

181. Hockey Project says:

Of course… Another CHI goal that makes two deflections before going in.

182. Lucinius says:

This is just depressing.

We’re never going to live it down from Flames’ fans.

183. jzed says:

Klefbom should have done anything else except pass it to the Hawks and then end up chasing Saad ring around the Rosie around the net. Why, why can these guys not play with their heads up their butt?

184. Younger Oil says:

Imagine getting two shots in ten minutes when your season is on the line.

185. Professor Q says:

I guess I chose the wrong week to start coming back.

186. theDjdj says:

I’ve never seen so many shots from the point somehow make their way into goal. Very frustrating way to lose.

187. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Is this team going to try to adjust their game to take away the way Chicago is getting 80% of their goals?

Or just fuck it and lose I guess. They have 2 shots in 10 minutes. This does not look like a team that cares about being eliminated.

188. Reja says:

Big save we needed that.

189. Younger Oil says:

The Hawks are either getting a stick on every shot from the point, or the Oilers are tipping it in for them.

Goalie really can’t do much about that.

190. Zelepukin says:

Lucinius:
    This is just depressing.

We’re never going to live it down from Flames’ fans.

It really is. Hawks kind of don’t have to do anything too hard. They just sit back, make one pass out. Go low and then just pass it back for a shot which ends up in the net. Literally no skilled required.

191. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Apparently the book is out on the oilers.

Shoot from the point, and the Hockey Gods will finish it off with Lucky deflections.

… or just pass the puck to Russell.

192. fishman says:

Who are these imposters wearing Oiler jersey’s??? Absolutely brutal. Right now there does not appear to be even one top 4 D on this team.

193. OriginalPouzar says:

Drai line looks dangerous – I think Kubalik saved that goal.

194. OriginalPouzar says:

Haas with a solid drive to the net, leads to some pressure and chances towards the net – good stuff.

195. Nix says:

My guy Haas was ready from game one never forget..

196. pts2pndr says:

Elgin R:

Not this time LT!Oilers get all the ‘puck luck’ with a small dose of ‘ref luck’ thrown in.Oilers win 6-2.

Lots of luck on Ref luck!

Newer Comments »