All the way from Moscow

I mentioned yesterday that Dmitri Samorukov is a big part of the Oilers future. He’s big, mobile, rugged, and I think he has the potential to be a shutdown blue for years. A strong OHL campaign two years ago was followed by a tentative AHL campaign with the Bakersfield Condors.

As much natural talent as Samorukov possesses, there are still miles of development to go. The KHL could be a Godsend.

Yesterday in Moscow, he scored early, had four shots, 1-1 even strength goal differential and played 18:13 total time. He finished No. 3 in TOI among the CSKA blue. A good start.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

2020 DRAFT THOUGHTS

My 2020 list is here. I thought about re-ranking the list but that’s not the spirit of my list (I complete it on June 1). So on the Friday of the draft, you’ll see the list as it appears in the link, plus an additional “late entries” bracket of 10-25 names. Mostly Europeans but the USHL has a couple of players worth a mention.

Murray had a poor year, sometimes that’s a good time to buy. Over the last three seasons previous to 2019-20, Murray posted a save percentage of .916. Last season? It was .899 and Tristan Jarry kicked sand in his face and ate his lunch. He is RFA coming off a $3.75 million deal with arbitration rights. His difficult season will make the cap number more manageable on his next deal. He is 26. Penguins could use a veteran RHD. I do not believe Murray is the correct choice among reportedly available goalies.

KONOVALOV

Lokomotiv play today in the KHL, not certain Ilya Konovalov will play. He picked up an injury early in camp and there was mention of his possibly being ready but nothing concrete. This is a quality goalie at the KHL level, that’s a fine league. Konovalov’s only real downbeat is size (hockeydb has him 5.11, 196, KHL has him 5.09, 196). He is a free agent at the end of this season, I like him plenty as an NHL option based on his current resume.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260, we have a lot to discuss. Chris Meaney from the FTN Network will talk NFL 2020 and the season that starts in just a few days. Frank Seravalli from TSN drops in to discuss the trade board, the playoffs and this Matt Murray item. We’ll also chat NBA playoffs and MLB. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

164 Responses to "All the way from Moscow"

1. Paulie says:

Care to elaborate? Which 2-3 goalies would make the most sense. Thanks.

2. Ray says:

Not sure if it was mentioned or noticed. Samorukov scored from the right point… perhaps he will play and develop as a RD over in Russia.

Versatility is never a bad thing to have as a prospect.

3. so polar says:

Good article at the Athletic about drafting skill forwards. I do think 14 for 23&53 from Philly is the type of trade we should make, but that’s only if the league drafts by the book and dmen like Guhle don’t get picked ahead of us. If Jarvis, Zary, or anyone more substantial remains by our pick, use it and laugh.
    I’d be interested to see an updated draft list ranking, or if you don’t want it to supplant the 2020 “Here Comes The Sun,” at least a list of sinkers and risers in your view.

4. leadfarmer says:

All depends on Murray’s cost and contract ask
    If he’s a buy low candidate I’d have time for that
    If they want full price for him I’d pass

Paulie:

Care to elaborate? Which 2-3 goalies would make the most sense. Thanks.

6. Darth Tu says:

leadfarmer:
    All depends on Murray’s cost and contract ask
    If he’s a buy low candidate I’d have time for that
    If they want full price for him I’d pass

The Allen trade kind of sets the bar for the Murray trade. I’m guessing Murray is worth slightly more than Allen due to age and the “winning the Cup” factor. Does Edmonton have the picks to make a trade happen for Murray? Probably not unless we’re packaging the 3rd up with something, but then that leads to the next two years without a 2nd and a 3rd round selection.

If it’s going to happen with Murray it has to be a hockey trade and I’m not sure who we’re giving up for Matt. As LT says above I’d rather go down the free agency route first and see who shakes free. If nothing gives then maybe go back to Pittsburgh.

Still, it’s good to see Holland doing his due diligence and kicking some tires.

7. jp says:

Wow that’s a heck of a game 1 for Samorukov in a tough league.

Being a quality KHL defenseman in pro season #2 would be a really nice step forward. Keep it up young man!

8. Jordan says:

Matt Murray for Russell would be at worst a wash for us in capspace. Would also give the Pens versatility in that he can play either side of the D. And he doesn’t actually cost his 4M cap hit – which will be good for their owner.

Matt Murray as a purcahse is not a great bet.

Matt Murray as an asset to get out from Russell’s contract isn’t a bad move.

I still prefer to hold Russell until the deadline, but this is a move that could be defended.

I would not trade one of our actual RD for Murray though – unless its Larsson and we are getting other assets back too.

Another option could be to trade Neal + for Murray & McCann. That’s a deal that looks interesting enough to have value for both sides, depending on who or what the + is on the Oilers side.

9. flea says:

I’d be excited if they picked up Matt Murray.

He’d be a great fit on this team. I’m a fan of buy low deals. Koskinen and Murray would be a good tandem.

Larsson the other way? Maybe a pick?

I like Murray better than the other realistic options in free agency. Think Vancouver will resign markstrom, vegas will sign Lehner and trade Fluery.

Khudobin likely gets paid too much, and Griess is kinda equivalent to Koskinen.

The upside of Murray is much stronger.

10. leadfarmer says:

flea:
    I’d be excited if they picked up Matt Murray.

Larsson the other way? Maybe a pick?

Khudobin likely gets paid too much, and Griess is kinda equivalent to Koskinen.

The upside of Murray is much stronger.

Despite not playing well in 2/3 years he’s still not very old and playing in front of Jack Johnson can break a goalie
    Definitely not worth a first rounder in this goalie market, maybe a late first from Sens

11. leadfarmer says:

Given rumor of Larsson being offered
    I’d probably say they are looking at keeping Russell

12. doritogrande says:

Not to take the piss, but Allen has one of those Cups too.

13. Durag says:

Jordan,

Murray is RFA so I don’t think Pittsburgh is going to want to take on much in the way of salary for him, much less a bad contract. I think someone like Lagesson is going to be more what they’re asking for.

I like the idea of Murray if the price is right. We have a big problem in a $4.5M goaltender who is more ideally suited to a 1B role and is probably not movable. Lehner and Markstrom are going to be way out of our price range both in dollars and term and I suspect Khudobin will be a little pricey too. If Murray can be had for 2 years at less than $4M that sets us up nicely to clear the decks in 2 years and look for a long term goaltending solution, which could well be Murray if he re-establishes himself.

14. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

leadfarmer,

Or have to keep him.

Let’s not forget, he’s the top open rickibox defender in the league. We’re lucky to have him and his contract.

15. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

doritogrande,

As a backup who lost his job to the fourth string AHL callup.

Which is vastly different from rookie winning back to back cups eventually ousting incumbent starter and former 1st overall franchise goalie.

16. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Durag,

I don’t understand this narrative, that Koskinen is “a big problem.” He outperformed his contract (especially in 2020) based on average starter AAV and wasn’t the issue in the playoffs.

He’s not my favourite, and the contract was bloated when it was signed, but he’s improved since he arrived.

17. Darth Tu says:

doritogrande:

Not to take the piss, but Allen has one of those Cups too.

Was he the starter?

18. Durag says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

I don’t hate Koskinen, but I don’t think he’s the caliber we need to be a perennial contender. You can’t relegate him to a 25 game backup, and he makes too much to go after someone like Lehner on a $6M x 5 contract. It just puts us in an awkward position in terms of who we can target as another goalie.

19. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Durag,

Agreed. He makes an awkward stop gap and odd for succession planning unless we get someone on the cheap like Dell or DeSmith who then proceeds to pop.

That there were pending quality free agent options available at the time of the extension is galling. We could have spent half on a goalie and had Nurse locked into a long term deal around $5.5M. Thanks Pete.

20. leadfarmer says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    leadfarmer,

Or have to keep him.

Let’s not forget, he’s the top open rickibox defender in the league.We’re lucky to have him and his contract.

21. Woogie63 says:

I don’t understand why some prospects are loan to European teams and others aren’t?

Why are Benson, Marody, Bouchard, Skinner and Kemp not on loan in Europe?

22. pts2pndr says:

flea:
    I’d be excited if they picked up Matt Murray.

Larsson the other way? Maybe a pick?

Khudobin likely gets paid too much, and Griess is kinda equivalent to Koskinen.

The upside of Murray is much stronger.

The price of Larson and a pick is too high! With that you could get a serviceable left winger for Connor. LT has it correct find a low cost USA to back up Koskinen.

23. leadfarmer says:

Woogie63:

Why are Benson, Marody, Bouchard, Skinner and Kemp not on loan in Europe?

Maybe some guys don’t want to be that far away from home in a pandemic?

24. pts2pndr says:

leadfarmer: Despite the verbal here I’m not convinced the brain trust actually wants to move him

25. Melman says:

Does a JP for Matt Murray trade make sense for either side? I know Pitt just picked up Kapanen, but he’s not a guarantee and JP behind him on the 3rd line gives some young depth with potential upside.

It’ll be interesting to see what Van does with goalering. Maelstrom seems like an automatic to re-sign but then they have to expose Demko to Seattle. Does JP for Demko work?

26. pts2pndr says:

Woogie63:

Why are Benson, Marody, Bouchard, Skinner and Kemp not on loan in Europe?

27. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Melman,

If JP is indeed going to come back, I don’t trade him until he establishes a trade value at the NHL level. That would quite likely be higher than whatever it is now. Ideally he pops and we don’t have to trade him, that would be the best outcome.

28. Durag says:

Melman:

I honestly feel like there’s a better than 50/50 chance Jesse suits up for the Oilers this year, which would represent his best value as we are desperate for cheap wingers. I don’t know that I would move him straight across for Murray. I’d want a 2nd round pick too, but given Pittsburgh already traded their 1st I don’t think that will happen.

29. Ribs says:

I can picture a Athanasiou for Murray swap that would have the potential to completely backfire on us. Hmm…

30. leadfarmer says:

pts2pndr: Other than cap there is no panic to move Russell. Veteran cover for the kids on the right side. If they do well, you move Russell at the trade deadline for a draft choice. If the team can make small incremental improvement fine but care has to be taken not to mortgage the future needlessly.

I’ve said it for a while but there’s no way I re-sign Larsson. He’s going to want a long term commitment that I wouldn’t do. When he loses a step with age it’s going to be devastating
    From the single tool d on right side (Larsson Russell benning) it wouldn’t surprise me if Russell is last man standing and he gets extended
    I’d love to see a Raanta for Russell swap but I don’t think Holland would

31. Munny says:

Ribs:

…or work out marvelously. I feel you though.

32. leadfarmer says:

Ribs:

Do Pens need more wingers? They got Zucker and Kapanen

33. leadfarmer says:

Ribs:

Well given the first AA trade backfired on us two negatives make a positive?

34. Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR says:

A few folks are mentioning we should hold onto Russell and trade him at the deadline. Here’s hoping the Oilers are a buyer at the deadline, which would make trading him at that time not very likely. Contending teams add this type of player at the deadline, not ship them out.

With the cap pressure, and Jones earning the job outright, the off season would be the best time to move him. And the fact that his actual salary is 2.5M lower than his cap hit should make him fairly attractive to budget teams that need to make the cap floor.

And he can actually still play. He’s given us the same game every night since he showed up here without much decline at all. It’s just that cheaper options in our system have passed him.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

Lots of talk out there about the free agent market and guys maybe taking short term deals given the flat cap this year (and next). For example, there is a thought that Taylor Hall could take a bit less and go short term to a contender.

Well, Krug, for one, isn’t it to it:

I do think the upper echelon UFAs will continue to get term and fairly big money (Pieterangelo, etc.) – I think they will actually back-load the deals, as oppossed to front load (given the one-time 10% deferral for this season and high escrow that is going to reduce over the next few years).

I think the lower and mid-end UFAs will definitely get squeezed.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR:
    A few folks are mentioning we should hold onto Russell and trade him at the deadline.Here’s hoping the Oilers are a buyer at the deadline, which would make trading him at that time not very likely.Contending teams add this type of player at the deadline, not ship them out.

With the cap pressure, and Jones earning the job outright, the off season would be the best time to move him.And the fact that his actual salary is 2.5M lower than his cap hit should make him fairly attractive to budget teams that need to make the cap floor.

And he can actually still play.He’s given us the same game every night since he showed up here without much decline at all.It’s just that cheaper options in our system have passed him.

Yes, I 100% agree with your initial though. I have read some comments on here over time that Rusty can be moved at the deadline and, subject to him materially regressing or having an injury riddled season, that will very likely be the case.

At the same time, the ability to move Russell at the trade deadline isn’t really helpful to this team. As you say, the team is likely to be a buyer. If the team is “selling” at the deadline then the team has gone off the rails. Even a player that is hoped to be a depth d-man – Holland’s MO is not selling that type of player but to actually acquire that type of player heading in to the deadline and the playoffs.

The Oilers need the cap space that Rusty is taken up this off-season – recouping a 2021 pick in February (or whenever) is not helpful to the current team

With that said, while you are right that his $1.5M cash outlay vs. $4M cap hit likely makes him more valuable to certain teams, if Rusty and his agent really want to they can sit down and figure out the teams that may be interested in him (Ottawa, Florida, etc.) and weaponize his NTC list.

At the end of the day, even with the $1.5M cash outlay, there aren’t many teams that have the cap room for a $4M 3rd pairing d-man.

Its going to be a tough trade but that is Holland’s job – he has to find a way to dispose of the player for $3M to $4M of cap space or dispose of him for another bloated contract but at a position of need, not depth.

37. Munny says:

.916 sounds pretty average for a goalie over a three year period. Although he was also pretty young for that stretch of time, and Pitt’s D isn’t exactly a paragon of “shut the front door”.

His salary’s price point and his age are both perfect fits for what the Oil need.

Would depend on what Rutherford wants; could be a deal there if the ask isn’t apocalyptic.

38. Munny says:

Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR: And the fact that his actual salary is 2.5M lower than his cap hit should make him fairly attractive to budget teams that need to make the cap floor.

Lol… pretty sure we could all recite Holland’s “Russell Pitch” in our sleep.

39. slopitch says:

I dont hate Matt Murray. His stats were quite good until recently. Perhaps he was hurt? Id roll the dice on a 1 year deal. That said, LT is right about cost. There may be options that only cost $$$.

40. tavvey tune says:

Melman:

Does Van let Markstrom walk and hand it to Demko? They have some RFAs to sign this fall and then Hughes and Pettersen next summer, not to mention the riches that are bound to be lavished upon Brogan the Half-a-bee. Not having an $8M goalie would really help fit them all in.
    I remember 10 years ago, Halak led the Habs deep into the playoffs and he was a hero in Montreal. A lot of their fans wanted them to re-sign Halak and dump the 22 year old Price but Jacques Martin traded Halak right after the playoffs. Would Benning be that bold, to keep the youngster and walk away from the playoff hero? It will be interesting to watch.
    BTW, I don’t think Martin ever got enough credit for that decision. It took a lot of nerve at the time.

41. John Chambers says:

leadfarmer:
    Given rumor of Larsson being offered
    I’d probably say they are looking at keeping Russell

It’s too early to trade Klefbom, and I think Nurse is here for the long-term.

I’d like to see a puck-moving 6 in 2021 of:
    Nurse-Bear
    Klefbom-Bouchard
    Jones-Benning
    Lagesson

I think Jones will be ready for top-4 in a year’s time, and one of Samo or Broberg should be ready for bottom-pair. Next offseason is the time to move Klefbom at peak value.

42. leadfarmer says:

John Chambers: Lots of talk about the Oilers trading two defensemen, and for me the answer is moving on from Larsson and Russel – neither of these guys can move the puck effectively enough.

It’s too early to trade Klefbom, and I think Nurse is here for the long-term.

I’d like to see a puck-moving 6 in 2021 of:
    Nurse-Bear
    Klefbom-Bouchard
    Jones-Benning
    Lagesson

I’d be very surprised they would go with that much youth

43. JimmyV1965 says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Melman,

If JP is indeed going to come back, I don’t trade him until he establishes a trade value at the NHL level.That would quite likely be higher than whatever it is now.Ideally he pops and we don’t have to trade him, that would be the best outcome.

100%

44. John Chambers says:

If I’m dreaming up trades & roster moves, here are my thoughts

– Larsson for Kerfoot. Kerfoot at 3C between James Neal and Puljujarvi would be solid.
    – Russell for Artem Anisimov. He has played well with elite players and might be a short-term fit on 97’s left. One year left on his ticket.
    – Sign a reasonably-priced goalie on a 1- or 2-year deal. Konovalov will not be ready next year. We can’t afford Lehner, Markstrom, or Holtby.
    – Walk from Athanasiou. He’s got to brain and isn’t a fit.
    – Sign a winger like Sheary or Ennis for LW depth as a backup plan for McDavid and a D in the vein of Ron Hainsey (can play both sides, 1-year deal)
    – I rather like Benning for 3rd pair and especially for PK. Defensive focus allows Bourchard to play o-zone.

45. John Chambers says:

leadfarmer: I’d be very surprised they would go with that much youth

There’s some risk to that, no doubt.

But I think Jones is ready, and I think Bouchard has to learn on the job.

I suggest signing a short-term, low-cost vet like a Ron Hainsey-type to address your exact concern.

46. doritogrande says:

The hope (mine at least) is that by the deadline our young D has progressed to the point where all of Jones, Bouchard and Lagesson have passed him and we can trade him for picks to another contender and use those picks (or some of ours) to acquire forward help. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely that all take that step? Nope. Dare to dream though.

While not the best usage of cap dollars in my eye, it is still possible to target a high-end starter and keep Koskinen as well. Look at how much money Montreal’s dumping into their goalies as exhibit A. My target is Markstrom, but your mileage may vary. I’m seriously thinking Holland’s target is Holtby.

47. oilersfan says:

i would hate to use an important asset for a goalie. i would prefer to get somebody else’s Devan Dubnyl. Would anybody here support the idea of going after Jack Campbell? Toronto was rumoured to be interested in Khaira, i wonder if Khaira for Campbell would make sense…?

Woodley on Gregor’s show a year ago was quite high on Campbell, and he didnt get much of a chance in toronto after pretty decent numbers in LA. Former 10th overall “cant miss” pick that is now 28 and has gone through the minors and nhl for a while.

48. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

The part I don’t get with this notion is that KRusty is the type of Defenseman that Tipp states are the types he wants to avoid…but yeah, it seems the Oilers are quite happy with having him in the roster to play 3LD and 2RD at 4M/y. Hard to figure out.

49. meanashell11 says:

pts2pndr: Kemp can’t or he forgoes his amateur status ergo his scholarship. I would guess that there will be a taxi squad provision but the league just hasn’t made it public knowledge yet.

50. Klima's_Bucket says:

Who else is left for Holland to pillage from Detroit?

He brought in Athanasiou and Green and Sheahan.

Does a Frans Nielsen for James Neal + swap work and solve the 3C debacle?

Can Luke Glendening solve 3C?

51. OriginalPouzar says:

Absolutely agree on the opening words on Samorukov.

I would also encourage all to take a look at Sean Patrick Ryan’s tweets from last night as he watched the entire game and, in my opinion, is a good evaluator.

With respect to the words “tentative campaign”, I will agree but also would prefer to use the word “uneven”.

He struggled early in his first season as a pro. Not unexpected. I watched alot of Condors early and one main area of struggle was not adapting to the pro game. In his last year of junior, Sammy was so massively aggressive defending the zone entry – stepping up time and time again in the neutral zone – it was amazing as he was consistently succesfull.

This was not the case early in his first pro season – he was just as aggressive and, with the faster players and more advanced coaching/scouting, he was getting burnt quite a bit – pucks chipped in past him when he stepped up and scoring chances against.

Sammy did adapt through the season and was starting to play some really good hockey and was moved up the depth chart. He then got that facial injury and missed a bunch of time and, when he came back, the team was gutted and in disarray.

This player has a chance to be special if everything does come together (as it does from players sometimes – maybe its “our turn).

52. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Who else is left for Holland to pillage from Detroit?

He brought in Athanasiou and Green and Sheahan.

Does a Frans Nielsen for James Neal + swap work and solve the 3C debacle?

Can Luke Glendening solve 3C?

Surely we can get worse players than that from them…

53. Ribs says:

leadfarmer: Do Pens need more wingers?They got Zucker and Kapanen

Pens always need more wingers! It’s their thing! *It will also be our thing for many years, by the looks of it.

That said, yes, Kapanen may be already filling next years plug-in winger position for the Pens.

54. Kert says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Who else is left for Holland to pillage from Detroit?

Sam Gagner?

55. OriginalPouzar says:

The Jake Allen trade wasn’t a great sign Oilers fans I wouldn’t think – Jake Allen has a bloated $4M plus cap hit and isn’t a higher end goalie. While he had a .927 this year in 25 or so games, the two previous years he was barely over .900.

A 3rd round pick for a mid-end goalie on a bloated contract from a team that needed to get rid of cap – I can’t believe the Blues got a 3rd round pick – expensive cost.

Hopefully that doesn’t represent the goalie market going forward – it shouldn’t given how many goalies are available.

56. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: This player has all the tools to be a top pairing d-man in the NHL – chances are they don’t all translate to the NHL level and he tops out as a lower pairing guy but the tools and skills are there.

This is a confusing sentence to parse. Like you’re talking out both sides of your mouth.

And I don’t see top pairing in Dima at all. He would have to take some massive steps forward to be on that career path. Right now I see a guy that should, but might not, hit NHL 3rd pairing level of play. I will be delighted if he takes those steps and proves me wrong, but right now I’m from Missouri.

57. OriginalPouzar says:

Konovalov stops 29 of 31 in a 7-2 win.

Good start to the year!

58. pts2pndr says:

meanashell11: I highly doubt Kemp cares about a scholarship and I am not sure Ivy League colleges give athletic scholarships. Plus his family is wealthy.

Sorry what I should have included Is that once he plays for a professional team he loses his amateur status which makes him ineligible to play hockey for his college team.

59. pts2pndr says:

Munny: This is a confusing sentence to parse.Like you’re talking out both sides of your mouth.

And I don’t see top pairing in Dima at all.He would have to take some massive steps forward to be on that career path.Right now I see a guy that should, but might not, hit NHL 3rd pairing level of play.I will be delighted if he takes those steps and proves me wrong, but right now I’m from Missouri.

60. OriginalPouzar says:

A potential Murray addition scares me.

He was not good at all this year, quite poor actually. He’s only 26 and it could just be a down year but listening to Kevin Woodley on the Gregor show – part of Murray’s issue is styalistic – he gets locked in to a low stance which, apparantly, makes it tougher to move laterally and, in today’s game, with the cross-seam and the talented passing, lateral movement is the key.

Can Murray’s style adapt?

Of course, he’d be a massive upgrade over Smith even if he doesn’t get his full game back but, given Jake Allen and his bloated contract got a 3rd, rather cost would be high on Murray and, plus, he needs to be qualified at $3.75M – he won’t be cheap.

I’d be “excited for the potential he could bring” but worried about acquisition and cap cost combined with potential middling performance.

I’d refer $4M spent elsewhere.

If I was going to trade material assets for a goalie, I’d be looking at Columbus and one of Korposalo/Merzlikins plus Josh Anderson.

I don’t imagine that Yotes will end up trading Kuemper but, of course, $4M there would be value – way moreso than Murray.

61. OriginalPouzar says:

Paulie:

Care to elaborate? Which 2-3 goalies would make the most sense. Thanks.

Given acquisition cost (he won’t be cheap to acquire), contract (needs to be qualified at $3.75M) and recent performance (very poor this year), I agree that Murray is not a good choice.

If the Oilers were spending material assets and cap hit on a new goalie, I’d look towards Columbus – Merzlikins plus J. Anderson, for example. Won’t be cheap via acquisition cost but less risky via performance I think.

62. pts2pndr says:

tavvey tune: Does Van let Markstrom walk and hand it to Demko?They have some RFAs to sign this fall and then Hughes and Pettersen next summer, not to mention the riches that are bound to be lavished upon Brogan the Half-a-bee.Not having an $8M goalie would really help fit them all in.
    I remember 10 years ago, Halak led the Habs deep into the playoffs and he was a hero in Montreal.A lot of their fans wanted them to re-sign Halak and dump the 22 year old Price but Jacques Martin traded Halak right after the playoffs.Would Benning be that bold, to keep the youngster and walk away from the playoff hero?It will be interesting to watch.
    BTW, I don’t think Martin ever got enough credit for that decision.It took a lot of nerve at the time.

You just set a snare for Hair,😂

63. OriginalPouzar says:

Ray:

Versatility is never a bad thing to have as a prospect.

Broberg has also played material right side in Sweden.

At the same time, I would caution against ability to play the off side in any non-NHL league with the same ability to do so in the NHL.

We’ve seen d-man be very effective in other leagues but not in the NHL – Caleb Jones, for example – great on the right side in the AHL but shown to be less effective on the right side in the NHL.

The AHL, KHL and SHL are very good pro leagues but the NHL is another level as far as speed and requirement to make decisions and plays faster.

64. Ryan says:

Durag:
    BornInAGretzkyJersey,

On the other hand…

During the playoffs, I watch other teams, which I don’t do much of during the regular season.

From this, it doesn’t take long to ascertain that other teams don’t give up nearly as many good looks at the Oilers seem to.

Blame it on the dog whistle… the timbits d-zone play of everyone chasing the puck carrier into the corner… the inability of our dmen to tie up sticks or box out forwards without drawing a penalty…

We give up a lot of really nice looks at the net.

Goalie stats are generally crappy and I haven’t paid enough attention to them.

GSAX or GSAE – Goals saved above expected seems to be the stat du jour…

GSAA is an interesting stat too, but it doesn’t adjust for shot quality.

Koskinen was 9th in GSAx last season for goalies playing at least 1000 minutes all states last season.

Obviously, his workload was more balanced, the glove hand less wonky, and his overall performance (SV%) was middle of the road for a starter last season. That’s not elite, but not terrible.

I haven’t checked, but I had the sense Smith was thrown to the wolves last season to bolster Koskinen’s SV%, but I would have to looks closer at the teams each played against.

Given that and the fact that we don’t have cap space next season to really make a push, I think I’m fine with Koskinen next season as the starter.

I hope we don’t add any bad salary to the backup goalie position.

Ideally, we get a player on a one-year contract.

After next season, Pouliot is off the books ($1.3m), the Sekera buyout hit drops $1m, Russell is gone ($4m), a Neal buyout is feasible.

Again, it would be ideal to have a backup goalie for a 1 year contract next season. The following season, Koskinen has only one year left and maybe we have options.

Koskinen faced the 12th highest HDSA/60 (goalies over 1000 min at NST) last season.

His HDSV% was 8th in the league.

I’m good to run Koskinen next season and preferably find a backup that doesn’t cost assets / signs for 1 year.

65. RonnieB says:

According to an article on theScore, the Blues still need to clear more cap space for Pietrangelo, and Parayko could be available. Obviously they won’t want much if any cap going back their way, but I wonder if a deal might be made using Benning as the only salaried player going back. Benning + #14 maybe ? They could probably use an inexpensive 3RD behind Pietra and Faulk.
    With Parayko on board, Larsson would have to be traded for a cheap return to make Cap space.. to Ottawa for Duclair maybe ? Thoughts ?

66. knighttown says:

The big winners of COVID hockey were the Rangers, the final 4 teams and deadline sellers that were able to dump assets that were essentially useless to their incoming teams (AA/Ennis/Green).

All of this to say, I wonder if now is the time to keep your powder dry and clean up crappy contracts in anticipation that 20-21 is just another coin toss?

Move Russell and Neal for cap space and move Larsson for an asset that will be here long term. Avoid buyouts. Acquire draft picks.

Essentially create a strategy around this being a semi-lost season.

67. jp says:

pts2pndr: Having watched Samorukov I would be more on the side of if he continues to progress he will in all probability be able to hold down a top four NHL D spot. He has the size,skating, passing and shot. He also has the requisite amount of physicality.

What is the requisite amount of physicality? 🙂

(there’s no need to actually answer this)

68. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Ryan,

Those are the kinds of results I was hinting at, couldn’t recall precisely but have read them from time to time on these pages. Thanks for taking the time to post in detail.

I think Koskinen might be underrated around here.

If he continues to improve we might find our 1A goaltender solution was in house all this time.

Or perhaps this is as good as he gets, and he’s value for money but needs a strong 1B to be properly utilized. If that’s the case it at least makes it easier to find a longer term solution than it was while relying on the Fasth’s and Scrivens’ of the world.

69. Ryan says:

RonnieB:

Parayko is an absolute beast.

He’s a 23 minute per night, top-pairing, 27-year-old RHS defenseman with a $5.5 m cap for two more years.

Armstrong is a smart GM, the Faulk signing notwithstanding.

I doubt Parayko gets traded.

If he does, I’d expect Armstrong would want a King’s ransom.

I don’t know the Blues cap very well, but I don’t think they will or can re-sign Pietrangelo.

Armstrong shot himself in the foot with signing the Faulk contract.

70. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Ryan: The contract should have been much better, but that was Chiarelli’s parting gift. I agree that the number creates problems. He’s hard to trade at that price and too expensive as a backup, but probably also not the starter we need.

On the other hand…

We give up a lot of really nice looks at the net.

Goalie stats are generally crappy and I haven’t paid enough attention to them.

GSAX or GSAE – Goals saved above expected seems to be the stat du jour…

GSAA is an interesting stat too, but it doesn’t adjust for shot quality.

I hope we don’t add any bad salary to the backup goalie position.

Ideally, we get a player on a one-year contract.

His HDSV% was 8th in the league.

Thanks for the numbers. I think MK is “OK” now. His quality has progressed each year. The contract is “OK” now for the performance level relative to peers (give or take), but the contract at the time was not necessary and painted the roster into a significant corner minimizing the capacity to look for alternatives.

71. jp says:

Munny:
    .916 sounds pretty average for a goalie over a three year period.Although he was also pretty young for that stretch of time, and Pitt’s D isn’t exactly a paragon of “shut the front door”.

Was wondering how .916 stacks up too.

48 goalies played 75 games those 3 years (16-17 to 18-19). Murray’s .916 was tied for 16th.

Using 100 games (Murray played 148), there were 38 goalies. Murry was 13th.

40 games a year average, 120 total, gives 31 players. Murray was 11th.

Definitely above average before this season. He also has a .921 SV% in 51 playoff games and was never below .906 in any of his 5 playoff years.

Agreed his age and salary are good fits, and a rebound is likely.

Leadfarmer said it very well earlier, if he’s a buy-low: good. If he’s full price: bad.

72. jp says:

Ryan:

Great post.

But I don’t agree even that his SV% was middle of the road for a starter (this doesn’t disagree with what you’re trying to say at all, I just feel it’s a misconception).

52 goalies played 25 games last year, Koskinen was tied for 14th among those (so average starter if you assume the top is populated with starters, but it isn’t).

45 guys played 30 games, Koskinen was T-12th in SV%

At 35 games you have the most used 30 goalies in the league. Koskinen T-6th in SV%.

You can parse these numbers different ways obviously, but I’d say his was well above average for starters last year.

73. RonnieB says:

Ryan: Parayko is an absolute beast.

Armstrong is a smart GM, the Faulk signing notwithstanding.

I doubt Parayko gets traded.

If he does, I’d expect Armstrong would want a King’s ransom.

Armstrong shot himself in the foot with signing the Faulk contract.

The Blues have ~$6.4 in Cap space and need to re-sign Vince Dunn, a replacement backup since Allen was moved, and Pietrangelo. The Score article suggested they would be looking to move at least one of these four players…Parayko, Schwartz, Bozak or Perron with the latter two being least likely to get them the relief they need.

74. meanashell11 says:

pts2pndr: Sorry what I should have included Is that once he plays for a professional team he loses his amateur status whichmakes him ineligible to play hockey for his college team.

That is true!

75. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

RonnieB,

Not having the capital to acquire any of Parayko, Schwartz, Bozak or Perron is a real shame, with capital being cap space, draft picks and/or prospects is appalling. Thanks Pete.

76. hunter1909 says:

knighttown: I’ve still heard no vialble plan for playing a full season next year and crossing borders and I can’t see another bubble being attractive. It could very easily be a 20-30 game season, top-24 style tournament just to get the playoff revenue.
    Essentially create a strategy around this being a semi-lost season.

With respect, Canada went metric in the 20th century a year before the Americans were set to do, in order to be clever and gain some kind of quick advantage but then the yanks did their thing and decided that the metric system sucks(which for ordinary people, weather etc it does). Canada was left looking like idiots to this day, considering that since then that silly Canadians have been forced to keep everything old fashioned for their southern friends, while paying the cost of having a european measurement system for no reason other than a 40+ year old wrong decision.

In other words, you have to deal with the hand you’re dealt with. Chasing rainbows and unicorns is more in keeping with the style of the Lowe/MacT “Generation of Darkness”.

77. hunter1909 says:

ps: what happened to the edit/delete buttons? They were my best friends.

78. hunter1909 says:

Hope Eberle gets to lift the cup in Edmonton.

Either that, or several Dallas Stars none of whom I can name aside from Cogs. I haven’t been watching any of the hockey since Oilers crashed and burned lol

It’s bad enough watching playoff hockey in June without your team playing.

79. Ryan says:

jp: Great post.

45 guys played 30 games, Koskinen was T-12th in SV%

That’s fair. Yes, I was sort of going on memory that he was 14th in SV% among goalies who played more than 1000 minutes all state. You’re correct, that’s not an adequate cutoff for average starter.

Sean Tierney from charting hockey likes >2000 min as a cutoff for starters.

At over 2000 minutes, he was actually 7th last season.

80. jp says:

One more goalie post.

I’m not sure exactly what people are hoping/expecting from the new goalie the Oilers are likely to acquire (myself included in that).

Koskinen has a .911 SV% over the last 2 seasons (.917 this year). So I assume folks are hoping/expecting a guy that will post a better than that.
    (.911 was median for the 50 goalies who played at least 75 games over the past 3 seasons by the way).

But players and goalies have performance variation year to year. How difficult is it to “guarantee” that level of performance year over year? Basically I’m just looking at how many goalies had a .911 SV% or better in 3 of the past 3 seasons.
    Kuemper
    Bishop
    Khudobin
    Vasilevskiy
    Hellebuyck
    Rask
    Grubauer
    Saros
    Markstrom

Binnington is 2 for 2

So 9 of them (10 if you include Binnington). That’s mostly your top tier goalies I guess (only 8 teams represented though).

Figured I’d also check how many had at least .905 over all 3 seasons (this is out of the 27 goalies with an overall SV% of .911).
    Raantaa
    Lehner
    Crawford
    Andersen
    Halak
    Fleury
    Varlamov

Koskinen is 2 for 2, as are Ullmark and Georgiev.

So 7 more guys (10 if you include Koskinen and the others). 20 if you include the guys who did it 2 of 2 years, across 16 teams.

Looking at things like this puts Koskinen as a roughly average starter, though he was much better this season.

Of the guys LT mentioned above Khudobin, Markstrom and Lehner look like solid bets at a consistently high level. Georgiev gets mentioned a lot and also looks quite decent (though not at all a clear upgrade on Koskinen).

Turning this around, 7 of the 27 guys who’ve averaged .911 or better over 3 seasons have had years where they dipped below .905 (Rinne, Gibson, Halak, Luongo, Bobrovsky Dubnyk, Hutton).

None of this is particularly groundbreaking, just trying to look a little at goaltending consistency (in part since Murray had a real tough year this season, and a .909 SV% over the 3 years total).

Personally, I see Koskinen as at least an average starter, likely above average. I’d try to give him a quality partner but not look to replace him. I can understand wanting an upgrade too though.

81. Victoria Oil says:

meanashell11,

Hey Meanashell,

Rumour has it that you’ve moved down south. When Covid is over, will you be watching Panthers games (for about $20 a ticket)?

82. OriginalPouzar says:

Nygard with at least one goal in the 4-0 exhibition win today.

Frolunda with a 6-4 win over Rogule (who was up 3-0 at one point) – don’t believe Lavoie nor Lennstrom got on the scoreboard.

83. meanashell11 says:

Victoria Oil,

I have not moved yet, next week. When the Oilers are in town I will!

84. Gerta Rauss says:

hunter1909:
    ps: what happened to the edit/delete buttons? They were my best friends.

Our host has top men working on it

85. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Durag,

I don’t understand this narrative, that Koskinen is “a big problem.”He outperformed his contract (especially in 2020) based on average starter AAV and wasn’t the issue in the playoffs.

I can’t really disagree with any of this except that, while he wasn’t the issue in the playoffs, he also wasn’t “the answer” – of course, 3 games after a 5-month break….

86. hunter1909 says:

These current “snowflake” Oilers still try the old timely Dynasty style(good) but where they fuck up royally is when put under any kind of pressure by the opposition.

And, judging by Nurse’s comments in the post Chicago meet and greet he talked about basically not having a freaking clue about anything lol

87. OriginalPouzar says:

Woogie63:

Why are Benson, Marody, Bouchard, Skinner and Kemp not on loan in Europe?

On the first three – if they were “loaned” to the SHL or KHL, they would be committed for the season so couldn’t play for the Oilers until after April.

Also agreements have to be made with the teams taking the player – do any European teams want/need Skinner right now? Kemp wouldn’t be “on loan” as he’s not signed with the Oilers. He could certainly sign with a European team – he would lose his college eligibility and likely wants his scholarship to continue to get his Ivy League degree.

88. hunter1909 says:

Of course if you can’t edit then you can post endlessly and get away with iy.

89. hunter1909 says:

Gerta Rauss: The photo on the home page and the edit/delete buttons went AWOL on the same day- a bug in the system apparently.

Our host has top men working on it

Sounds like Death March

90. hunter1909 says:

hunter1909:
    Of course if you can’t edit then you can post endlessly and get away with iy.

That “y” is there on purpose.

91. OriginalPouzar says:

The panic, or urgency, is the cap space.

Moving him at the deadline almost assuredly means the season has gone very poorly – Holland’s MO is to acquire depth d-men heading in to the playoffs, not the oppositie.

I’d prefer Matt Benning at closer to $2M as veteran cover for the kids on the right side than Kris Russell at $4M.

92. SwedishPoster says:

Couple of SHL pre-season games tonight.
    Lavoie with a so so game, still figuring things out and his line didn’t really click. Still early though.
    They played against Frölunda, for some reason I thought they were supposed to play Växjö, and won 6-4. Lennström played for Frölunda and was ok but not great. 2020 draftee Lucas Raymond had 2 goals and an assist btw. He’s so so talented.
    Nygård with a three point night in his first game back, a goal and two helpers in a 4-0 win.
    Filip Berglund had an assist on the game winning goal in ot, was a second assist but from reports it was a real nice play.
    Skellefteå didn’t play so no Broberg in action. They play tomorrow.

93. Reja says:

hunter1909:

94. Ribs says:

This is likely what is wrong with the website, LT…

If you downgrade your WordPress to v.5.42, you might possibly be back in business. It looks like you are running WordPress v.5.5.1 now.

These are short-term fixes, though. The theme is no longer supported so it won’t ever be fixed once it finally breaks for good. You’ll have to try a new theme eventually. I’m not familiar with the ins and outs of retaining all of your past posts when you change themes, but I imagine it’s possible!

95. hunter1909 says:

Reja: If Sather was running the show he would trade Nurse to the highest bidder out east.Team leaders on a Sather team do not make comments like he did just ask Jason Arnott

Agreed 100% in normal times but in 2020 these entitled multi millionaires believe their shit no longer stinks.

Nurse’s comments have single handedly driven my interest in the NHL to a near all time low.

96. hunter1909 says:

I take it I’m the only one who wants to see Eberle win the cup in Edmonton?

97. hunter1909 says:

Ribs: I’m not familiar with the ins and outs of retaining all of your past posts when you change themes, but I imagine it’s possible!

This sums up the problem with computerization in a nutshell.

No effective way to store data. Books are a trillion times more effective in a world with mass illiteracy a generation away.

98. hunter1909 says:

Now I want to edit the last post.

I can’t win.

99. OriginalPouzar says:

Melman:

No chance they trade Demko for JP – well, in my opinion.

I’ve been thinking for months that Demko will be a Kraken. If he has a big 2020/21 (Markstrom gets injured or for whatever reason), they may have to trade him (but then would have to find a way to meet the goalie exposure requirements).

100. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar: No chance they trade Demko for JP – well, in my opinion.

Once upon a time I was very high on Demko.
    But very significant concussion history for a young goalie.
    I would shop elsewhere

101. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: I’ve said it for a while but there’s no way I re-sign Larsson.He’s going to want a long term commitment that I wouldn’t do.When he loses a step with age it’s going to be devastating
    I’d love to see a Raanta for Russell swap but I don’t think Holland would

1) From accounts, Larsson would like to re-sign in Edmonton

2) The contract would kick in after one more seasons so, presumably, we have Bear and Bouchard ahead of him (if Bouchard progresses as we hope).

3) Larsson would need to take a fairly signifigant pay-cut to the the 2/3RD guy – would he?

4) I can’t imagine a scenario where Russell is re-signed unless its at $1.5M or under

5) If a Russell for Raanta swap was on the table, I would hope, and assume, that Holland runs to the fax machine to get er’ done and submitted to the league

102. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: The panic, or urgency, is the cap space.

I agree completely that what you suggest is the better idea but only if you can move Russell for the whole cap hit and not have to add a sweetener to do so. Both players will be redundant after one more season.

103. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Lehner
    Crawford
    Andersen
    Halak
    Fleury
    Varlamov

Koskinen is 2 for 2, as are Ullmark and Georgiev.

👍👍

104. Ribs says:

Ribs: Your theme also appears to be in need of an update. It looks like you are running v.1.0.4 and the latest version out there that I can see is V.1.1.6 . Sometimes updating is put off for a reason so this may or not be a helpful thing to do.

105. Ryan says:

Ribs:
    This is likely what is wrong with the website, LT…

Good find!

Changing themes won’t affect the old posts.

I wouldn’t recommend downgrading WordPress versions, that could lead to security issues.

106. PokeCheck says:

hunter1909/Reja:

I breezed through several articles quoting Nurse post-elimination and didn’t see anything controversial. Did they exclude something specific?

107. Ryan says:

Ribs: Looks like this guy is using v.4.0 of the theme and has things working. That’s quite the jump from your v1.0.4! He’s downgraded his WordPress to v.5.4.2.

I think IIRC, the poster Danny did the website design for this version.

Most web designers will customize the CSS inside the theme and if you simply update your theme version, you’ll lose the all of the design elements.

There are ways of avoiding this by creating a child theme, for example, but that’s rarely done.

108. OriginalPouzar says:

I remember that “tender controversy” in Montreal but I’m highly confident it was fan and media made.

No offence to Halak but I can’t imagine the Martin was every going to move Price except for an extraordinary return. No offence to Demko, he is a very very good tending prospect on the cusp of proving starter ready in the next year but he is no Cary Price and is not akin to a 22 Cary price, one of the best and highly valued tending prospects of the era – at the time.

109. Ribs says:

Ryan: The problem updating the theme version is that it could likely break all of the theme customization depending on how things were originally setup.

I think IIRC, the poster Danny did the website design for this version.

I’d say downgrading the WordPress version until the theme is updated or ready to be replaced would be pretty low risk, but there’s always a chance of something happening there. LT’s enemies are everywhere, after all! lol

110. jeetz says:

Durag,

I would love to see Domi come here (sounds like he is on the market) and have a third line of:

Benson Domi JP

That would be rally fun, inject a lot of energy into the Oilers bottom 6 and allow a couple minutes to be shaved off each of the top 2 lines. Probably play that line 14-17 min a night depending if its a home or away game (match ups)

111. leadfarmer says:

PokeCheck:
    hunter1909/Reja:

Something about having trouble getting going with a lack of fans
    A rare moment of honesty which showed the rest of us why hockey players are about as interesting as dry toast

112. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:

113. Ryan says:

Ribs: Yep, updating the theme can be a chore for sure when things are customized in it. It does become necessary after a while, though.

It looks like the widget in the right sidebar is also broken!

The good news is that newer themes have built in tools so that anyone can customize theme without coding and updates won’t cause the theme to lose their design elements.

This is a popular theme on theme forest.

It would probably do the job. I’d offer to buy it or something similar and help with setup if LT would have any interest.

I don’t imagine setup would take long since LT’s site wouldn’t require much other than putting in the ad slots / adsense codes, and a few widgets in the sidebar, customize the colors and see if the Logo fits on the new theme.

Obviously, he’s not going to hand over admin access to some random dude who opines about hockey on his blog, nor would I expect him to.

Maybe we could figure something out.

114. Ribs says:

Ryan,

Looks pretty slick. You’d want to make sure to find one that can produce a nice comments section, of course 🙂

115. Oilman99 says:

Lowetide: I would exhaust free agency before giving up assets. Lehner, Markstrom, Khudobin, Greiss. Edmonton doesn’t have enough assets to be trading them for a position that is in abundance on the free agent market.

116. OriginalPouzar says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Who else is left for Holland to pillage from Detroit?

He brought in Athanasiou and Green and Sheahan.

Does a Frans Nielsen for James Neal + swap work and solve the 3C debacle?

Can Luke Glendening solve 3C?

Don’t forget about Juroc.

117. OriginalPouzar says:

and, by Juroc, I mean Jurco.

118. OriginalPouzar says:

He’s got all the tools that elite d-men have – moreso than Bouchard (skating/urgency) for example.

– Good size
    – Very good defender (he’s a defence first guy)
    – Good on the boards and in battles
    – Good skater
    – Good passer via transition
    – Good hockey sense and offensive IQ
    – Good shot
    – Etc.

He’s got all the skills to be that guy.

That doesn’t mean that they are all going to come together at the NHL level – maybe he won’t be a plus puck transitioner at the NHL level due to speed of the game – we don’t know – but he is at the level he’s played so far.

Chances are all those don’t translate to the NHL level but he’s got the skill-set.

119. OriginalPouzar says:

This is true but there is no Ivy League to play in this year – its been cancelled.

Its his senior year so I anticipate his college hockey career is over.

At the same time, he may very well want to finish his degree and, rich family or not, keep his college scholarship for that.

120. OriginalPouzar says:

RonnieB:

Personally, I would rather keep Parayko and his current contract than pay the premium for Pieteragelo.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always though of AP as elite and under-rated but given the contract (cap hit and term) for his 30s……. I’m all about avoiding signing guys big money for regression year.

————

As an aside, if someone like Parayko is acquired, it 100% forces a trade of one of Klef, Bear, Nurse, Jones within the next year – maybe even two.

121. leadfarmer says:

Oilman99: Murray’s save percentage says he is an over pay, and a bigger risk than taking Smith back.

Bringing Smith back is the worst option and would be indefensible
    He is done

122. OriginalPouzar says:

Todd Macallan,

Thank you sir!

123. Rondo says:

Don’t think Oilers have great goalie coaches. If they bring in a goalie like Murray they’re going to make him better.

124. Harpers Hair says:

When assessing goaltenders, it’s best to look at High Danger Scoring Chances Saved Above Average.

It changes things dramatically.

125. OriginalPouzar says:

PokeCheck:
    hunter1909/Reja:

It was a loaded question and he answered honestly – he never said it was acceptable, just they they didn’t have it.

To have the comment “turn someone off NHL hockey) seems a little odd…. to me.

Harpers Hair:

It changes things dramatically.

It also reduces the sample size tragically.

OriginalPouzar: Yup, Parayko could be the casualty but I would anticipate they’d try and see if they could divest of the likes of Steen, Bozak, etc. before Colton.

————

128. OriginalPouzar says:

jeetz:
    Durag,

Benson Domi JP

That would berally fun, inject a lot of energy into the Oilers bottom 6 and allow a couple minutes to be shaved off each of the top 2 lines. Probably play that line 14-17 min a night depending if its a home or away game (match ups)

Domi is a good hockey player – he’d be great to have on the ice but I wonder about this (a) attitude – just going off some the apparent issues he’s had in both ARI and MTL and his “request” to play certain positions, etc. and (b) somewhat connected to (a), i think he’s looking to get paid – like close to $6M.

I could be way off base but its the sense I have/get.

129. leadfarmer says:

Lowetide: It also reduces the sample size tragically.

Yeah you need the whole sample size. Saving the difficult shots but flubbing the easies doesn’t make you a good goalie
    Even quality starts is important as two goalies with same GSAA could have very different quality starts as a coach can leave you hanging for 7 goals instead of pulling you after 3 when it’s clearly not your night

130. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: If Parayko is coming to Edmonton, Klefbom is heading to St. Louis in the package.

and I would make that trade in a hearbeat.

I’m not positive that’s the case though as the premise for a Parayko trade would be the cap space for AP, no? Taking Klef back only clears up less than $2M

hunter1909: This sums up the problem with computerization in a nutshell.

I’m waiting for the Lowetide blockchain.

OriginalPouzar: No chance they trade Demko for JP – well, in my opinion.

I shouldn’t be giving Benning ideas: Demko for Pesce.

133. leadfarmer says:

Lowetide: It also reduces the sample size tragically.

The only thing it is good for is showing that the Jets and Canucks are even worse defensively than even I suspected
    Helley and Markstom had 8.8 and 8.7 HD shots against per game
    That is leaning on your goalie heavily

Mike smith had 7.2 and koskinen 8.4 which is interesting
    Koskinen had +9 GSAA and Smith had -9
    Koskinen had a very respectable season. Looks like Tippett left some points on the table by playiing Smith as much as he did

OriginalPouzar: Nurse was asked a specific question about being fully engaged or finding the needed intensity level and admitted that, as a team, they weren’t able to for whatever reason and their most engaged/intense play was against the flames.

To have the comment “turn someone off NHL hockey) seems a little odd…. to me.

It is difficult to find intensity when the team is chasing the game because the forwards were not committed to the backcheck and the coach was doing roster deployment experiments in the playoffs.

135. leadfarmer says:

godot10: I shouldn’t be giving Benning ideas:Demko for Pesce.

There is no way you trade Pesce for an unproven and frequently concussed G
    You could probably get Kuemper for Pesce

136. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair:

It changes things dramatically.

137. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: I cant wait to see how quickly you backpedal when you see Koskinen was 10th in the league by that metric ahead of such notables as Vasilevsky Hellebyuck Lehner and Kuemper

I’ve never had an issue with Koskinen.

Just that his contract was an unnecessary risk.

As a head coach, Tippett has had Marty Turco and Mike Smith as his goaltenders, alpha dogs, and roamers.

I think Koskinen’s “zen” stay-at-home goaltending is frustrating for him.

139. Harpers Hair says:

Lowetide: It also reduces the sample size tragically.

It also weeds out the shots a pylon could make.

140. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: It also weeds out the shots a pylon could make.

It’s not like we haven’t seen a goalie that can stop almost everything but let in a “pylon” shot a game

141. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:

I think Koskinen’s “zen” stay-at-home goaltending is frustrating for him.

Well, then he wouldn’t want Greiss – the opposite of Smith in that regard off the ice.

142. who says:

jp: You keep saying this (like, a lot of times). I personally don’t recall an issue with Jones on the right side. And I’m not sure there’s a strong statistical argument that he was less effective there.

It doesn’t have to be true.
    It just has to fit the narrative.

143. OriginalPouzar says:

Of course, it is true – the eye test sure showed it (played his best hockey on the left side as Klef’s replacement).

Numbers bear it out as well – his GF% was best with, in order, Benning, Bear, Larsson – CF% very similar as well.

The eye test says he’s better on the left side. The numbers show he’s better on the left side.

144. Bag of Pucks says:

Congrats to Sherwood Park’s own Carter Hart. 49 saves tonight in a 2OT Game 6 thriller.

Take that Bob Nystrom!

145. Bag of Pucks says:

Canucks motto.

“Who needs D when you’ve got Demko!”

Does he have a nickname?

Demkolition Man.

Terri Thatcher. His play is real and spectacular!

146. leadfarmer says:

There’s goalering and then there’s whatever Demko is doing
    Holy running into a hot goalie batman

147. JimmyV1965 says:

The Canucks are interesting. They are clearly the weaker team, against the Knights and Blues, but they have a couple elite players who are just better than anyone else. And they can finish their chances. Kinda like the Oilers, but with infinitely better goaltending.

148. Bag of Pucks says:

For a guy who’s allegedly getting knocked on his ass all the time, Quinn Hughes is pretty damn good at the hockeying.

149. leadfarmer says:

JimmyV1965:

Two elite players in Pettersson and Hughes a couple very good complimentary players in Horvat and Miller
    Other than Hughes that defense is terribad
    It’s all on their goalies shoulders

150. jp says:

OriginalPouzar,

SF% goes (best to worst)
    Nurse
    Benning
    Russell
    Larsson
    Klefbom
    (shots with Bear were down near the bottom too in less than 14 minutes)

The goals went in with Benning and Larsson, I can’t argue that.

The majority of Jones’ time as RHD was with Russell while the majority as LHD was with Larsson (good Larsson from 2020) so that might be affecting the eye test.

151. Harpers Hair says:

Bag of Pucks:

Allegedly.

He’s been hit hard twice in 11 games.

152. Richard Roma says:

The Canucks win and Harper’s Hair hasn’t checked in to gloat?

Should we be sending out a wellness check?

153. Richard Roma says:

Harpers Hair: Allegedly.

He’s been hit hard twice in 11 games.

Okay, we can cancel the wellness check.

154. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: It’s not like we haven’t seen a goalie that can stop almosteverything but let in a “pylon” shot a game

An Oiler specialty for years.

155. Harpers Hair says:

Harpers Hair: Allegedly.

He’s been hit hard twice in 11 games.

Make that 16 games.

Postgame.Hughes mentioned “he feels better now”.

156. JimmyV1965 says:

To have the comment “turn someone off NHL hockey) seems a little odd…. to me.

157. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

Bag of Pucks:

Getting knocked over is Pettersson’s thing. Hughes is pretty stout and sturdy for a guy his size.

158. hunter1909 says:

JimmyV1965: Ya. That’s a totally non starter. What would the reaction be if he said he thought they did play with intensity. An older more savvy vet might have answered it better, but Nurse’s reaction means zero, zilch, nada.

Nurse’s comments show that he’s basically clueless and hasn’t really matured enough yet to be considered any kind of a leader for the team. The silly contract his agent expects he’s getting offered might end up driving him out of town.

The ginger pontificator who pretends to have insight, who delights in providing us stories of his 7% body fat should go back to his office and return to work.

159. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m going to say that Nurse’s receipt of an assistant captain role, his participation on the HDC and his role as Oilers NHLPA player rep are signs of some maturity over an end of season quote on a loaded question that wasn’t even a “bad quote”.

160. OriginalPouzar says:

Wait, did i I just get personally attacked for my hair color dedication to fitness/nutrition and my apparently “dogmatic” opinions on hockey by a person that hasn’t watched a second of the NHL playoffs?