Straight Shooter

The NHL moved up the draft a few days, it’ll go October 6 and 7. This blog is ready for the NHL draft 365 days a year but there are some things we have yet to address. Like first-shot scorers, snipers, goal-scoring forwards who might be worth a reach pick. How many are they, who are they?

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

TOP GOAL SCORERS VIA NHLE, 2020 DRAFT

1. RW Jack Quinn (22.2)
  2. LC Quinton Byfield (18.8)
  3. LC Marco Rossi (18.45)
  4. RC Jacob Perreault (18.12)
  5. LC Jan Mysak (18.1)
  6. LC Connor Zary (16.5)
  7. LC Cole Perfetti (16.1)
  8. RC Tyson Foerster (15.4)
  9. LW James Hardie (15.3)
  10. RW Sam Colangelo (14.8)
  11. L Alexis Lafreniere (14.3)
  12. RC Mavrik Bourque (13.8)
  13. RW Dawson Mercer (13.3)
  14. RC Tristan Robins (13.2)
  15. RW Alexander Holtz (12.6)
  16. RC Zayde Wisdom (12.4)
  17. LW Rory Kerins (12.4)
  18. LW Lukas Reichel (12.2)
  19. RC Colby Ambrosio (12.0)
  20. LW Brendan Brisson (11.8)

My final list is here and I’m not suggesting a change in ranking. However, let’s say Holland and Wright get to that third-round pick and Sam Colangelo is still on the list? Or Edmonton gets to the fifth round and Hardie is still there? I think you bite the bullet and make the pick.

RECALLS

As the Oilers appear to be drifting from a possible re-signing of Jesse Puljujarvi, it might be worth noting the most valuable recalls using NHLE:

Cracknell’s KHL numbers give him a strong NHLE and he is a center but I don’t see him as a legit option. Edmonton will need to add some help if there is an NHL season with no AHL season. Strange but true.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy show gets underway at 10 this morning, TSN 1260. Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey at the Edmonton Journal will join me, we’ll talk about trading Jesse Puljujarvi, his work on Lightning and Islanders rosters and how they compare to Oilers team building, and remembering Lou Brock. Joe Osborne from OddsShark will pop in to talk NFL. Hockey Helps The Homeless executive director Ryan Baillie. Covid-19 has been a game changer, but the needs at the Mustard Seed Edmonton and Jasper Place Wellness Centre are even greater than before. Find out what HHTH is doing and how you can help.

We’ll also have the $20,000 Mystery Moment at 10:15, your chance to win cash with that gigantic sports brain of yours. We’re at $1,000! THAT’S REAL WALKING AROUND MONEY! Text in at 10-1260 with the secret word, then we’ll call you, play a clip from a famous sports moment and ask you for a detailed answer.

88 Responses to "Straight Shooter"

1. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

Finding a way to pull Robins and Hardie from our picks outside of the 1st round would be a good haul. Combine it with a quality C outta the 1st round- whether @ 14 or a trade down- and you get pretty close to a dream scenario for me.

2. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Me wonders if the Cracknell work-up has two objectives:
    1 – veteran depth in the AHL, possible injury related call-up
    2 – Hey Jesse, ready for another year in Europe?

#2 would be much more relevant in a non-Covid world…

3. russ99 says:

Really curious how our prospects find places to play if there is either no or an abbreviated AHL/ECHL season.

I have high hopes for Louis Domingue, maybe a year in the Swiss league could help?

4. russ99 says:

GordieHoweHatTrick,

Cracknell seems a #5 C, put a guy in the pressbox so our young players can stay in Europe signing.

5. Reja says:

I’m surprised Jesse hasn’t signed in the KHL because Holland who’s against the cap is going to hardball him and his whiny agent. Holland was taking a run at this years playoff and the future as well by acquiring AA and Green. If I’m a GM and I can pick up a 30 goal scorer the previous year that I know with tons of speed for two seconds I do it everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.Did Holland or any other GM plan for a flat cap of course not in hindsight Holland doesn’t make those deals.

6. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

russ99:
    GordieHoweHatTrick,

Yup. Agreed. He is a long way from the line-up

7. Elgin R says:

Evaluation of options for 5C with respect to Cracknell requires another perspective. Looking at he players under consideration last two seasons in the AHL provides additional information.

Adam Cracknell
    – AHL (2017 / 2018 and 2018 / 2019): games = 115 / points = 89 / PPG = .774 / NHLe = 30.6
    – Age as of Jan 1, 2021 = 35

Cooper Marody
    – AHL (2018 / 2019 and 2019 / 2020): games = 91 / points = 84 / PPG = .923 / NHLe = 36.5
    – Age as of Jan1, 2021 = 24

Both player are RC so no advantage either way in that respect. Marody has a significantly higher NHLe, is much younger (should have higher upside) and is already on the 50-man list.

Signing Cracknell to an AHL only deal to mentor and provide another quality AHL center is a good play and would show commitment by the organization to spend money to improve the pipeline. While signing him to a two-way deal (and taking a place on the 50-man list) when there is a better recall option in Marody is not.

8. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Elgin R:
    Evaluation of options for 5C with respect to Cracknell requires another perspective.Looking at he players under consideration last two seasons in the AHL provides additional information.

Adam Cracknell– AHL (2017 / 2018 and 2018 / 2019):games = 115 / points = 89 / PPG = .774 / NHLe = 30.6– Age as of Jan 1, 2021 = 35

Cooper Marody– AHL (2018 / 2019 and 2019 / 2020):games = 91 / points = 84 / PPG = .923 / NHLe = 36.5– Age as of Jan1, 2021 = 24

Both player are RC so no advantage either way in that respect.Marody has a significantly higher NHLe, is much younger (should have higher upside) and is already on the 50-man list.

Signing Cracknell to an AHL only deal to mentor and provide another quality AHL center is a good play and would show commitment by the organization to spend money to improve the pipeline.While signing him to a two-way deal (and taking a place on the 50-man list) when there is a better recall option in Marody is not.

Good points. I guess this includes Haas as the 3C/4C too.
    Is the rumored Cracknell deal an NHL or AHL contract?

9. Rondo says:

You’re right Lowetide LeBron is a great BB player, as a person not so much.

10. jtblack says:

LT & community. A new arrival to my family yesterday;

HENRI JAMES BLACK. 6 lbs 11 oz

Not named after Lundqvist, rather my wife’s dad.

Sharing with you, as you are all my Oilers family.

GOOD HEALTH TO ALL.

Oh yah, and LET’S GO OILERS!

11. Woogie63 says:

There seems to be a little more tweeting about Jesse and he is being associated with a lack of grinding?

He is one of best players in the Finnish league if not the best, I am certain the current coach is NOT asking for Jesse to grind it out on the big ice.

Lets get him signed, connected with the player leadership to kiss and make up.

Last year we started the right side with Kassian 1RW, Chiasson 2RW, Archibald 3RW and Gagner 4RW.

Even if Jesse starts at 3RW we are better than last year and a player that can play his way up the line up.

Last year we started with 4 players best suited for 3RW and few options to play higher in the line when injuries hit.

12. jp says:

jtblack,

Congratulations!

13. OriginalPouzar says:

That’s awesome – I listened to that “famous sport moment clip” yesterday morning and I really had no idea – not a baseball historian, that’s for sure. I texted in, clearly wasn’t chosen but was thinking to myself, for a wild guess, I’d go with the Canseco head homerun as, really, it was the only “right field” call that popped in to my head (except that dude running through the fence in the minors).

Would have nailed it on a pure guess. Ha!

14. Woogie63 says:

There seems to be a little more tweeting about AA and he is maybe to expensive as a RFA to send a QO.

He is helping a team get much faster, Holland has added Nygard, Haas, Yamamoto, Jones and maybe Jesse from the starting line up last year these are all adds that add speed. In my mind, speed and possession get penalties call FOR you, and we have a really good PP.

LY starting line-up/ TY additions

Nygard/Nygard
    Cave/Haas
    Chiasson/Yamamoto
    Gagner/Puljarjarvi
    Russel/Jones

15. OriginalPouzar says:

Konovalov gets the start today (which is great given the back-up got a shutout in game 2 of the regular season). Game just starting.

Broberg, Lavoie in action in SHL exhibition (Nygard held off the scoresheet in exhibition yesterday).

Puljujarvi with two goal in the first period as Karpat is up 3-0 in exhibition – a real game, not a 3 on 3 tourney.

16. Jaxon says:

My hope is for Askarov at #14, then one of RC Tristan Robins (13.2), RC Zayde Wisdom (12.4), or RC Colby Ambrosio (12.0) at #137.

17. Reja says:

Rondo:
    You’re right Lowetide LeBron is a great BB player, as a person not so much.

Better be careful Lebron is a God and if you beg to differ they will sacrifice your first born then claw out your eye balls.

18. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

jp:
    jtblack,

Congratulations!

+1 (pun intended)

19. buck yoakam says:

jtblack,

Congrats to you and your family!!….

20. Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR says:

Feel free to correct me if I’m off base here, but if any team signs Athenaseau for more than $2.2M, EDM gets a second rd pick from that team as compensation. Holland should offer him that and play hardball. If he can get more, than just pocket the pick. I’m sure he’s way ahead of me on this plan though.

Trade looks better when you factor this in though.

21. Fuge Udvar says:

Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR,

We only get compensation if we qualify him to retain his RFA status. Which is 3M unfortunately. If we don’t qualify him he jist becomes a UFA

22. jtblack says:

That TYLER BOZAK option with salary retianed seemed like a Good Option for 3 C ….

23. Primetime says:

Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR:
    Feel free to correct me if I’m off base here, but if any team signs Athenaseau for more than $2.2M, EDM gets a second rd pick from that team as compensation.Holland should offer him that and play hardball.If he can get more, than just pocket the pick.I’m sure he’s way ahead of me on this plan though.

Trade looks better when you factor this in though.

Not that simple. Oil need to qualify AA at $3 million first to keep his rights/RFA status. No other team can/will offer a contract until that is done. Once the Oil do that, another team COULD offer him more (unlikely) and pay compensation. He could sign with another team for less but why would he? He would have $3 million guaranteed already, and the Oilers would likely match a lower offer.

If they don’t send the qualifying offer, he becomes a UFA and no compensation comes back.

Only way he gets a lower contract with Oilers if he agrees to it prior to the qualifying offer deadline

24. JOFA says:

Could someone explain how long the organization could hold on to Puljujarvi’s rights please? Al mentioned 27 years old on his program today?

25. JOFA says:

JOFA:

OR How long can we keep him out of the league without making a decision and maintain his rights?

26. jp says:

JOFA,

I believe UFA occurs at the first of:
    1) 27 years old on July 1, or
    2) 7 NHL seasons (defined as half the season spent on the roster)

Puljujarvi has played 3 NHL seasons, then the year off. And is now 22.

4 more NHL seasons, or 5 more years, till the Oilers no longer hold RFA rights.

27. JOFA says:

jp:
    JOFA,

I believe UFA occurs at the first of:
    1) 27 years old on July 1, or
    2) 7 NHL seasons (defined as half the season spent on the roster)

Puljujarvi has played 3 NHL seasons, then the year off. And is now 22.

4 more NHL seasons, or 5 more years, till the Oilers no longer hold RFA rights.

28. Todd Macallan says:

As per Stauffer: Tyler Benson skating with U of A until likely European assignment is confirmed.

29. OriginalPouzar says:

I am very intrigued by Mysak in a trade down from 14 situation.

I like his success on multiple continents last season, his quick acclimatization to the North American game and his junior success being on a 2nd line and not zoomed by Kaliyev, etc.

I am far from an expert on non-drafted prospects but I was liking Mysak when I though the Oilers would be drafting in the low 20s.

Not at 14, in a trade-down.

No necessarily in favor of a trade-down but if they did.

30. jp says:

JOFA: Thank you JP. I would prefer to let him stay in Europe until he’s ready to sign a reasonable contract (1 million max.). I don’t like the idea of getting a 2nd rounder.

Well hopefully he puts his name on a contract in the range of $1M before the end of 2020.

I think if Holland were going to settle for a 2nd rounder he’s have done it already. If Jesse refuses to play Holland has the hammer for a loooong time though.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

Bobcaygeon: Strome is not a proven 60 point player, like I said earlier, a player can have a positive year but the 30-35 points he gotten the last 4-5 years tell me he’s somewhere around 35 points.
    We can also add for the Oilers sake, Chaission or Marroonunless you believe these players to be 25-30 goal scorers in there own right?
    I think it’s a horrible way to spend 3m dollars on AA who will most likely get you 30-35 points.
    Just one guys opinion

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.

Your initial statement that thinking Strome could be a 50 point player with McDavid was a mistake.

The response was, well, he never got a chance with McDavid and proved to be a 60 plus point guy with Panarin.

Your retort was he got a stretch with McDavid and it was pointed out to you that he got less than 60 minutes with McDavid and they were very succesful.

You then made a point above about not being a proven 60 point guy and McDavid zooming others – which goes against your initial point of not believing he could be a 50 point guy with McDavid.

He has shown to be able to put up 60 plus points with Panarin – I think its reasonable to suggest he could put up 50 with McDavid – to your original point.

JOFA:

June 30, 2025, as long as they qualify him every year.

Not in the year 2525, unfortunately.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Sounds like Virtanan might not be in Benning’s plans for next year.

I expect they will try and move him as oppossed to not qualifying him but for apx $1.5M he may be worth a flyer – not sure if he can play the left wing or solely a right wing.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Konovalov stops 34 of 36 in a 3-2 win – his second in two appearances.

35. Woogie63 says:

Here are the top 5 scores/ PPG/ age of the best non NHL pro hockey leagues last year. The assumption is the league’s top scorers at the right age (??) would have the best chance to join an NHL team and make an impact.

for example

AHL

Sam Anas/ 1.11/27
    Reid Boucher/1.26/27
    Gerry/Mayhew/1.24/27
    Josh Norris/1.09/21
    Alex Barre-Boulet/.93/23

Of the top 25 Non NHL players 5 MIGHT be the right scoring touch and age combo to play in an impact role next year in the NHL, my humble stack rack of those 5 players

1. Puljujarvi
    2. Kaprizov
    3. Norris
    4. Suomi
    5. Nattinen

36. RonnieB says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Sounds like Virtanan might not be in Benning’s plans for next year.

Considering Virtanen’s numbers this season (18G and 18A in 69 games) and Vancouver’s Cap situation, Benning is probably worried about what Jake might fetch in arbitration.

37. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

Jaxon:

Neither Robins nor Wisdom played much at C iirc. Robins played some to finish the season, but was mostly a W and Wisdom formed a strong line with Chromiak and the latest “next McDavid”, Shane Wright on which Wright was the C from every account I’ve seen.

38. barry.moore23 says:

jtblack,

Remember the rules – tape the left hand to the top of the stick and keep the play in front of him 😎

Congrats to you and Mrs. JT

39. JOFA says:

godot10: June 30, 2025, as long as they qualify him every year.

Not in the year 2525, unfortunately.

40. buck yoakam says:

godot10,

What a classicaly bad tune!….

41. Elgin R says:

OriginalPouzar,

Thanks OP for the JP highlights. Both goals looked good – much better than a lot of his slappers from 30′ last year that somehow went in. These were NHL-quality goals. Hoping for a JP-Oilers reunion for the coming season.

42. Ryan says:

Woogie63,

I think Dominik Kubalik single handedly juked the NHLe for the Swiss-A league.

Swiss-A: 57 points in 50 games. 1.14 pts/g

NHL: 46 in 68. 0.67 pts/g.

I don’t think the Swiss-A league has an NHLe of 0.59.

43. OriginalPouzar says:

Good to see Broberg near the top of the list.

Would be curious to know if he is getting any PP time? I assume he’s getting PK time (my hope for this year is top 4 minutes, PP2 and PK1 – and crushing the World Juniors).

@skelleftea_aik
    53m
    Top 5, time on ice: Luleå – #SkeAIK
    1. Niclas Burström 20:12
    2. Arvid Lundberg 19:55
    3. Jonatan Berggren 19:08
    4. Philip Broberg 19:04
    5. Jesper Frödén 19:03

44. Elgin R says:

godot10,

Good Zager and Evans reference. I looked in the basement and found the record (for you younger folks, that is a large round disc you put on a turntable). Great song.

45. dustrock says:

jtblack,

Congrats JT. All the best to you and your family.

46. dustrock says:

BRING BACK LINUS OMARK

jtblack:
    LT & community. A new arrival to my family yesterday;

HENRI JAMES BLACK.6 lbs 11 oz

Not named after Lundqvist, rather my wife’s dad.

Sharing with you, as you are all my Oilers family.

GOOD HEALTH TO ALL.

Oh yah, and LET’S GO OILERS!

Congratulations! That’s a cool name.

48. jp says:

dustrock:
    BRING BACK LINUS OMARK

He’s at least as deserving of a contract as Adam Cracknell, pretty sure.

And as good a scorer as he’s been there, he’s been even better in the playoffs.

Last 3 regular seasons 170-38-120-158 (3rd, 12 and 4th in the KHL) 0.93PPG
    Last 3 playoff seasons 37-9-38-47 (2nd, 5th and 1st in the KHL) 1.27PPG

Some cheeky OT goals in there too I’m sure!

For fun:
    Regular season NHLE = 61 pts
    Playoff NHLE = 84 pts

49. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99:

Louis Domingue or Olivier Rodrigue?

Rodrigue, I believe, may be heading to Austria to play.

50. Ryan says:

Woogie63,

You can scratch Pius Suter from your list.

He signed with Chicago for $925k on July 16th.

51. dustrock says:

jp,

You’d think some cap-strapped team would offer him a one-year deal? Maybe he’s not interested.

52. jp says:

dustrock,

Agreed. No idea if he’s not into it or the NHL isn’t into him.

53. Jiminey says:

Elgin R:
    godot10,

Good Zager and Evans reference.I looked in the basement and found the record (for you younger folks, that is a large round disc you put on a turntable).Great song.

I do not think todays youth know what a “Turntable” is!

54. tavvey tune says:

According to CapF., there is a handful of teams, including the Phlegms, who haven’t announced any loaning out of prospects. Seems odd but i hope that is the case. Hard to believe they would be that asleep at the switch, unless there are other plans afoot, like an 8 team AHL bubble somewhere for example…

55. SwedishPoster says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Good to see Broberg near the top of the list.

Would be curious to know if he is getting any PP time?I assume he’s getting PK time (my hope for this year is top 4 minutes, PP2 and PK1 – and crushing the World Juniors).

@skelleftea_aik
    53m
    Top 5, time on ice: Luleå – #SkeAIK
    1. Niclas Burström 20:12
    2. Arvid Lundberg 19:55
    3. Jonatan Berggren 19:08
    4. Philip Broberg 19:04
    5. Jesper Frödén 19:03

Yeah he’s getting some time on PP2, they’ve used a five forward unit on PP1 so no room at the inn there. As long as he plays with Granberg 5v5 I wouldn’t count on much production offensively as they’re likely to be used as more defense oriented pairing with Granberg not having an offensive bone in his body. As Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual mentioned in the other thread it will put an onus on Broberg’s puckmoving as it will mostly depend on him to get it done.
    Granberg isn’t quite as bad as I’m alluding to though, he’s positionally sound, physically strong and when without pressure can at least take and make a simple pass. He had a terrible first year back in Sweden but was better last season. He’s also born and raised in the far north of Sweden like me so he has that going for him as well.
    It would have been nice to see Broberg with a more fluid partner with better passing skills though, to let him use his dynamic abilities more. I think they want him to play a more structured game and Granberg can probably help him with that, and I buy that, as a D it’s crucial to master the defensive side before getting too adventurous but anyone hoping for a major jump in points will likely be disappointed if the pairings stay as they are.
    The big positive is that he’s safely in the top 4, he’s Skellefteå’s #3D behind two current/former swedish NT players to start the year with a solid chance to climb the depth chart, he’s getting time in all disciplines and has been the first D out in 3v3 OT rotation.
    Sounds like he had a strong if not spectacular showing tonight.

Lavoie was once again pretty quiet in his pre-season game from reports, they’re easing him in. His line hasn’t shown all that much, the center Ferguson like Lavoie is new to euro hockey and Nils Höglander while doing ok on the PP still looks pretty weak 5v5 at the SHL (pre-season)level. Still a lot of miles to go for that line though, they all have lots of room to grow as the season rolls along.

Lennström likely won’t get major minutes for Frölunda, unless they start losing early on, from how they’ve used him so far they seem to look at him more as a resource than someone to build on, which makes sense as he potentially just stays for a couple of months, used on the third pairing tonight.

56. hags9k says:

Congrats to JT and family!

Jiminey: I do not think todays youth know what a “Turntable” is!

Vinyl has made a come back, and DJ’s are the new popstars. The kids know what turntables are.

58. Ribs says:

“The Edmonton Oilers have loaned forwards Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl to Skelleftea AIK in the SHL.”

Not really… But wouldn’t that be something!

—-

Congrats, JT!

59. fishman says:

godot10: Vinyl has made a come back, and DJ’s are the new popstars.The kids know what turntables are.

Oh for sure! My now 30 yr old son latched on to my old turntable and mission speakers a few years ago. (As well as all my classic albums- Led Zeppelin etc) He routinely is out buying albums now!

60. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

jtblack,

– Solid name. James is a family name so I’m partial to it. Is Black really your last name!?

– How many kids now ?

61. BONE207 says:

jtblack:
    LT & community. A new arrival to my family yesterday;

HENRI JAMES BLACK.6 lbs 11 oz

Not named after Lundqvist, rather my wife’s dad.

Sharing with you, as you are all my Oilers family.

GOOD HEALTH TO ALL.

Oh yah, and LET’S GO OILERS!

Congratulations to you & Mrs Noir…🤣

62. OriginalPouzar says:

Coach T finished 7th in Jack Adams voting – 4 first place votes:

63. OriginalPouzar says:

Sorry, was my summary of Daly’s conversation on the 2-Man Advantage podcast offside?

I guess maybe that 24-hour rule applies to pods, not just articles/blogs – never thought about that.

Sorry if is did bad!

64. OriginalPouzar says:

Thinking about goalies, listening to Kevin Woodley on the Gregor show yesterday and he mentioned a few things:

2) sounds like Lundquist may actually be bought out in New York and he still wants to play. Can’t imagine him signing in Edmonton but it could add yet another tender to the buyers market.

65. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack:
    LT & community. A new arrival to my family yesterday;

HENRI JAMES BLACK.6 lbs 11 oz

Not named after Lundqvist, rather my wife’s dad.

Sharing with you, as you are all my Oilers family.

GOOD HEALTH TO ALL.

Oh yah, and LET’S GO OILERS!

Atta boy!!!!!

OriginalPouzar:

Sorry if is did bad!

There’s nothing in the spam filter, OP.

OP you put it in the previous thread, move it up if you like.

68. OriginalPouzar says:

tavvey tune:
    According to CapF., there is a handful of teams, including the Phlegms, who haven’t announced any loaning out of prospects. Seems odd but i hope that is the case.Hard to believe they would be that asleep at the switch, unless there are other plans afoot, like an 8 team AHL bubble somewhere for example…

Likely a cash flow issue – I’m not sure exactly how it works but I think an agreement between the NHL and European team is made with respect to payment of salaries and other costs. Perhaps Murray Edwards and Company are not in to paying for Valimaki to play across the Atlantic?

69. OriginalPouzar says:

SwedishPoster,

Such great info and detail – thank you so much.

70. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: 1) the Hawks initial offer to Crawford is $3.5M – that doesn’t mean they won’t be higher but that may be a sense of the market for the older tier B regressing tenders.

The number of years would have a big impact here though, given Crawford turns 36 in December.

If he wants 3 or 4 years the AAV should be sharply reduced (like 34 yo Khudobin reportedly wanting $3M X 3).

If that’s the ofter for 1 or 2 years though then yeah, that a real eye opener.

Crawford has played pretty consistently at a high level. He was .908 in 18-19 but .917 this year, and has actually posted .917 and better in 7 of the last 8 seasons. That’s a real impressive track record.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

Listening to Bill Daly on the 2-Man Advantage with LeBrun.

Some high level points:

– the 7 teams they didn’t come back very much want some extra training camp time.

– they are working on protocols for what off-season training at facilities will look like.

– don’t know what next season will look like. Will take their time and asses all the info including looking at the other leagues including NFL and European leagues.

– still very much want an 82 game season but don’t know if that is do-able. If they start in January, they could still get 82 games in. Playing partially in the summer is an option but they do want to get back on a normal cycle ASAP, once world events permit.

– bubble season is not a model for a full regular season – not by any stretch.

– constructing next season is totally different than what they structured this summer

– acknowledged the likelihood of having temp tests or some sort of testing to get in the building.

– maybe some fans in some buildings and not others? The NFL is dealing with different market conditions and local requirements and they don’t even have to deal with a border – it is going to be complicated.

– Haven’t spoke to government or health authorities with respect to crossing borders for next season. The focus has been on the current RTP and it may even be premature to have those discussion re: border travel for next year.

– Dec 1 will depend on “what they decide to do” – it’s probably “less likely” but that could change.

72. OriginalPouzar says:

Thank you sir.

I’m not so good with the smarts….

OriginalPouzar:

Thank you sir.

I’m not so good with the smarts….

That’s why we get along. No way to fool each other. 🙂

74. fishman says:

Holy crap Raptors win in 2OT!!! Big night for Lowry. Siakum awful and Gasol looks like his career is over . Game 7!!!!!

fishman:

Lowry made a great shot at the end of the game. Pure.

OriginalPouzar:
    Coach T finished 7th in Jack Adams voting – 4 first place votes:

NHL broadcasters apparently hold a grudge against Tortorella. Very unprofessional of them, unable to separate their emotions from their vote.

OriginalPouzar:

2) sounds like Lundquist may actually be bought out in New York and he still wants to play.Can’t imagine him signing in Edmonton but it could add yet another tender to the buyers market.

New Jersey needs a vet to pair with Blackwood. Lundqvist wouldn’t have to move.

78. Glovjuice says:

Hilarious- the vinyl ‘resurgence’ is at least half a generation old now. Shit, there are now labels that are ONLY releasing new music on cassettes – I’m serious.

79. Victoria Oil says:

godot10: NHL broadcasters apparently hold a grudge against Tortorella.Very unprofessional of them, unable to separate their emotions from their vote.

Wouldn’t the voting have been completed before Torts stormed out of the press conference in the playoffs? Or are you referring to all of his previous temper tantrums?

In any case, I get your point that the press shouldn’t be biased. But, human nature….

80. tavvey tune says:

godot10: New Jersey needs a vet to pair with Blackwood.Lundqvist wouldn’t have to move.

You’re assuming a Schneider buyout at 4x$2M? Or, bury him?
    Looks like they’ll have lots of cap room.

81. jp says:

tavvey tune: You’re assuming a Schneider buyout at 4x$2M?Or, bury him?
    Looks like they’ll have lots of cap room.

jp: What on earth will Jersey be trying to achieve this year anyway? Hard to even guess…

83. jp says:

Lowetide: If I were NJD, I’d try to add a couple of reliable defensemen and another goalie.

I guess that’s almost never a bad play, but would it get them anywhere?

Palmeri, Gusev and Zajac are UFAs next offseason (Zajac will be 36 then, Palmeri and Gusev could re-sign potentially).

But Schneider is clearly done. Subban at $9M for 2 more years may also be done.

I wonder if they embrace the inevitable and save a few bucks in the mean time? (I also don’t watch them so have no actual idea, but it doesn’t look like a great situation over there)

84. tavvey tune says:

They need some depth now, so maybe a Brossoit-type on a two-way?

85. RonnieB says:

tavvey tune: Looks like they would have to protect Schneider in the Kraken draft, so I’m sure they will have to deal with him before then.
    They need some depth now, so maybe a Brossoit-type on a two-way?

Schneider has an NTC, not an NMC, so doesn’t have to be protected.

NEW for The Athletic: Stock Watch: Hot starts and safe landings for Oilers prospects. Several early risers announcing their presence with authority. Click on the link for a fantastic offer!

87. OriginalPouzar says:

Fantastic offer for new subscribers – this has been done a few times – with that said, don’t really any offers over time for multi-year full price subscribers.

Don’t get me wrong, I have zero issue with the subscription price or anything, full value for money spent in my opinion, but wouldn’t mind seeing some sort of something for the loyal subscribers, no?

88. Justthestatsman says:

OriginalPouzar:

That’s a pet peeve of mine in many situations. Banks, credit card and utility companies are notorious for offering sweet deals to attract new customers while the poor schleps that have been faithfully paying sticker price for decades get nothing.