Oilers at No. 8: Philip Broberg

Craig Button, TSN: “Elite skating defenceman makes it very difficult to forecheck him and allows him to open up ice. Attributes of a modern NHL blueliner.”

Corey Pronman, The Athletic: He’s a 6-foot-3 defenseman who is an elite skater. That combination alone is scary.

Scott Wheeler, The Athletic: In the right program, there’s no question that there’s a lot to tap into. But there’s definitely a lot of risk associated with taking him in the first half of the first round.

465 Responses to "Oilers at No. 8: Philip Broberg"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. HenryDrix says:

leadfarmer:
    EPIC LEFTORIUM!!!!

But seriously what are we going to do with all these lefty D

Trade for help now

2. Death By Misadventure says:

HenryDrix: Now we can trade from a position of real strength, LHD, to address needs now or later.

This never works.

Remember when we had all those wingers? What did we get for them?

3. unca miltie says:

nice to see jets give the mike to Marcel Comeau, One of the best fastball players I have seen or played against. first guy I can remember going to the US to play pro fastball. and quite a career in hockey too

4. Jaxon says:

Do you think Islanders take Kaliyev, one of the only players to score like Tavares in the OHL?

5. LadiesloveSmid says:

Waiting for Broberg to get reached for and waiting for Kaliyev to drop to Calgary, its like watching a semi drive straight towards me

6. Munny says:

Pouzar:
    Wow what a pick!

YOU DID THIS ON PURPOSE, lol.

7. Material Elvis says:

Munny:
    Material Elvis,

Bobby Mac had him ranked 30th.

18th or 30th. At this point those draft positions are nearly equal. It’s down to luck and proper development at this point. Right handed, good skater, some offensive talent, athletic — those are decent tools to have at the starting line.

8. Pescador says:

Bag of Pucks:

And I’ve actually been kicked in the balls!

I am unshocked

9. theDjdj says:

HT Joe: You’re very generous.I’m cheering like mad for, but very concerned about, Yamamoto’s progress.I agree that the drafts seem better, but I wouldn’t characterize them as terrific (but the 5 year rule is still the best way to know)

10. Pouzar says:

Munny: YOU DID THIS ON PURPOSE, lol.

🙂

11. leadfarmer says:

It’s sad to see that Russell will in fact not be returning a first round pick

12. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

JonyPro,

– To be fair I don’t think anyone is saying Broberg isn’t good.

– But he’s a reach at 8 and if you didn’t leak weeks ago that he’s your guy you trade down surprise everyone grab Broberg and everyone says who dat?

– maybe they are packing up Bouchard and jones for a stud?

– I have no problem with the player per se. But because we valued him more than consensus you don’t broadcast this. You take advantage of it to gain.

13. HT Joe says:

Death By Misadventure: Remember when we had all those wingers? What did we get for them?

Paajarvi –> Perron –> draft pick (Barzal) –> Reinhart –> Las Vegas draft
    Eberle –> Strome –> Spooner –> Gagner
    Yakupov –> literally nothing
    Hall –> yeah, yeah, I know

14. Pescador says:

Wow Burke with the ol’
    “Like watching 2 guys kiss” reference

15. Munny says:

The New York Lou-Lous take Holmstrom.

16. Numenius says:

Professor Q:
    Numenius,

What exactly is Elite about Monahan?

Might be slightly overstated. But:

He is a 1st line C averaging at least 60 points a season and 84 points (edit: 82 points) last season.

Gaudreau’s numbers aren’t that much higher and Monahan does more of the heavy lifting and is arguably more valuable in the playoffs.

If you’d offer me one of Gaudreau or Monahan for free, I’d be tempted to take Monahan first.

If Gaudreau’s elite, Monahan is in the neighbourhood.

To be close to Monahan’s level, Nurse would have to be at least 1st pairing, and I don’t think he is yet.

17. Gerta Rauss says:

leadfarmer:
    It’s sad to see that Russell will in fact not be returning a first round pick

Lol

now that’s funny

18. Oil2Oilers says:

Come Holland, your next two picks should be enough to move up and take Kaliyev now.

19. Crazy Pedestrian says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Now the next question should be…
    Do you dodge to the left? Dodge to the right? Or play chicken?

20. Younger Oil says:

Puljujarvi+2nd rounder+??? to Washington for Bukarovsky+Kaliyev pick would be stellar.

21. leadfarmer says:

Swedishposter picking for the Isles

22. HT Joe says:

theDjdj: Agreed. Yamo was taken 20th though. I think we need to remember that. But a lot of our D prospects were picked well outside the 1st round. And picks like Benson are starting to look like smart bets too. The org has failings but I think drafting has been solid to terrific for the last few years.

I do remember he was drafted later (22nd?), but I still remain worried.

We’ll agree to disagree on the evaluation… no way do I call the last few drafts terrific. Better for sure though.

23. dessert1111 says:

I like Broberg and think he could turn out to be one of the best players in the draft. And he seems like a safe pick. I like that they’re building from the back, not picking for need, and presumably taking who they think the best guy available is.

He wasn’t my favourite on the board but I’m happy to have him in the system

24. Professor Q says:

I wonder if Edmonton might select Connor McMichael with their 2nd?

25. HenryDrix says:

Death By Misadventure,

We traded the best one for Top pairing D….

26. theDjdj says:

Professor Q:
    I wonder if Edmonton might select Connor McMichael with their 2nd?

This is literally the only thing I wanted out of this draft. It’s destiny.

27. Jaxon says:

Munny:
    The New York Lou-lous take Holmstrom.

I think he might be the Tyler Benson of this draft. Strated the season well, plagued with substantial injuries.

28. Munny says:

Preds snag Tomasino

29. jonrmcleod says:

Can’t say I know anything about these prospects. Pronman has Broberg at #9, so it’s not like the pick is completely crazy.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

People do understand that most prospects don’t make it right?

Even those that have great arrows don’t always make it, right?

Do we really think that each of Lagesson, Jones, Samorukov are all going to be legit NHLers in the next few years? 2 of them haven’t even played an NHL game, one not even a pro game (well, a few at the end of Guelph’s 2017/18 season).

Man, if all these d-man do happen to hit, they are going to have a hell of a lot of fun flipping them for impact forwards.

31. digger50 says:

theDjdj: Ithink the scouting team deserve more trust from us. The last few drafts have been solid to terrific. I’m holding my breath on Puljujarvi. I feel like Holland’s drafting at Det was solid too, no?

32. Munny says:

Gord, I hope the Caps take Kaliyev.

33. Professor Q says:

Even Burke believes Tomasino is having the largest growth rate in skill level.

That’s a good pick for Nashville.

34. theDjdj says:

OriginalPouzar:
    People do understand that most prospects don’t make it right?

Even those that have great arrows don’t always make it, right?

Even if 2/6 of these prospects hit 80% of their ceiling we’ll have a very enviable blue line

35. Death By Misadventure says:

HT Joe: Paajarvi –> Perron –> draft pick (Barzal) –> Reinhart –> Las Vegas draft
    Eberle –> Strome –> Spooner –> Gagner
    Yakupov –> literally nothing
    Hall –> yeah, yeah, I know

Haha awesome.

Yeah I hate the “trade from strength” narrative.

Every other GM knows your strength and knows when you come calling, to low ball the offer.

Trade from strength is just code for bleed value.

36. Munny says:

Munny,

I mean if the Flames are eyeing him up. If they aren’t, let the kid drop.

37. leadfarmer says:

digger50: I believe the Broberg pick was more driven by the Red Wing scouts than the Oiler scouts. Holland was sold on the player before he arrived here. Detroit needed a d man and got one. Edmonton did not.

That is just silly

38. JOFA says:

Will Flames get Kaliyev?

39. Munny says:

McMichael to the Caps.

40. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q: They can’t sign Bobrovsky for 8 years, unless they trade for him.

41. Ben says:

Washington gets David McConnor

42. Crazy Pedestrian says:

theDjdj: This is literally the only thing I wanted out of this draft. It’s destiny.

Sorry man… destiny overwritten

43. theDjdj says:

Is it likely Kaliyev survives the draft and drops to us and second?

44. LadiesloveSmid says:

Calgary sprint to the stage to take Kaliyev.

Fuck.

45. Munny says:

Flames can have Kaliyev, if they want him.

Lavoie and Suzuki still out there though.

46. razor says:

This is a depressing and completely accurate. Drafting BPA and trading hasn’t worked well for the Oilers in the past. You can now add Puljujarvi to the list.

Eberle –> Strome –> Spooner –> Gagner
    Yakupov –> literally nothing
    Hall –> yeah, yeah, I know

47. blainer says:

kaliyev seems a bit off to me .. i expect he falls to the 2nd round.. There is a reason he has not been picked yet..

48. Andy Dufresne says:

Dan Marr, the director of NHL Central Scouting, calls Broberg the complete package, saying “He’s a highly competitive prospect who is smart, composed and quick in making plays, and also responsible, playing big minutes in all situations.”

Corey Pronman, who has Broberg ranked ninth overall, sees a future top-pairing defenceman when he watches him play. “He’s right up there with Jack hughes as the best pure skater in this draft class,” he says in his profile on Broberg.

“[Broberg] has exceptional skating ability and exceptional command of the game in every single regard,” says Craig Button. “Everything about his game screams top pair defenceman, if not a number one defenceman in the NHL.”

49. leadfarmer says:

theDjdj:
    Is it likely Kaliyev survives the draft and drops to us and second?

I think some teams have him on the avoid list for some reason

50. theDjdj says:

theDjdj:
    Is it likely Kaliyev survives the draft and drops to us and second?

Nope lol. Fuck I hope we’re right about this and Calgary wrong.

51. Death By Misadventure says:

HenryDrix:
    Death By Misadventure,

We traded the best one for Top pairing D….

I think you’re trolling so I’m going to stop the conversation here.

52. Profit says:

I don’t it can be called reaching for these dmen if 6+ teams do it. That’s just the value of the players in the draft. Dmen are highly valued.

53. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Ok all… let’s get ready for a collective FUUUUUUCCCCKK! As the fLames pick who we don’t want them to get…

54. LadiesloveSmid says:

EDM’s potential impact F prospects: Yamamoto, Benson, McLeod, maybe Marody?

Potential impact D prospects: Bouchard, Broberg, Samorukov, Bear, Jones, Lagesson

So light on F at the pro level too, just don’t get it

55. texmex says:

Ben:
    Washington gets David McConnor

And he’s wearing a skate lace belt!!! Must be a Connor Mc thing

56. blainer says:

Would love to see us deal for Lavoie

57. LadiesloveSmid says:

Treliving is too smart not to draft Kaliyev.

Scores 30 goals in 2021

58. Andy Dufresne says:

If you only saw Broberg once, his eye-catching skillset might blow you away. Broberg has good size at 6’3” and 200 lbs, but is also an elite skater. Broberg drives up the ice with powerful strides, and matches that power and north-south speed with fantastic lateral mobility.

That size and skating make him a nightmare to deal with in transition, as he loves to jump up in the rush and drive wide around defenders, cutting to the net like a power forward. At the Hlinka Gretzky Cup in 2018, he built a highlight reel out of madcap dashes up the ice and finished with 3 goals and 4 points in 5 games.

At the Under-18 World Championships, Broberg was again all over the ice for Sweden, leading them to the gold medal with 6 points in 7 games. He was named Best Defenceman at the tournament and likely greatly helped his draft stock after a middling Allsvenskan season, where he had just 9 points in 41 games.

Broberg’s elite skating helps defensively as well, as he closes gaps in a hurry and uses his length to make pokechecks and close off passing lanes. He’s sound positionally in the defensive zone, quickly adjusting to opponents and getting in shooting lanes. When it comes to puck retrieval, his speed means he almost always first to the puck on dump-ins, and he can accelerate away from forecheckers to create a clean zone exit.

59. Pouzar says:

Wow was that a missed left cross by the B.C. QB?

60. Munny says:

Phlegms take Pelletier!

61. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar: Still wouldn’t be able to sign him for 8 years – need him on your team by the trade deadline of the free agency year.

That’s a very strange rule. I guess it prevents an all out bartering battle on Draft Day?

62. theDjdj says:

wait boys we might be back on here

63. Profit says:

This draft is all over the place.

64. leadfarmer says:

Calgary with the midget who disappears in the playoffs
    He’ll be perfect for them

65. Death By Misadventure says:

I think I believe that.

66. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Huh…

67. LadiesloveSmid says:

I pray one of Brink/Lavoie/Suzuki/Kaliyev keep dropping & EDM isn’t too stupid to take BPA again

68. Pouzar says:

Lions holding like crazy.

69. Professor Q says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Any chance of trading up if so?

70. Munny says:

ANA will end up with Kaliyev in their laps and everyone will say how great at drafting the Ducks are.

71. Pouzar says:

Very good game goin on in the CFL.

72. flea says:

I think Edmonton is still in search of a true top pairing defenseman. Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson – all close but not true top guys. I don’t know if Broberg will be but I think that is the motivation. Broberg – Bouchard top pairing in 2-3 years.

73. digger50 says:

leadfarmer: That is just silly

Not a mention before that.

Oil scouts, I do not know who they were focused on, but with JP fail, Yamamoto uncertainty and three top six forwards on the big club it is logical they were focused on forwards. As were 90% of this blog. Because it made sense.

74. Munny says:

Bolts take Foote.

75. Pouzar says:

Munny:

Getzlaf/Perry

EDIT: *spits*

76. JOFA says:

10 more picks😊

77. Andy Dufresne says:

We are just 12 picks away

78. leadfarmer says:

digger50,

Cause going to his Edmonton scouts sorry guys I trust my old guys more than you, would have gone over so well.
    He is an executive who assigns jobs and trusts his people to do their job
    It’s not like other teams who didn’t need D avoided drafting them

79. Munny says:

C’mon Canes trade us that pick for Aho’s buddy and a 2nd.

80. Tbags Funhouse says:

Pescador:
    Wow Burke with the ol’
    “Like watching 2 guys kiss” reference

No man, he said ” it’s as much fun as watching two guys FISHING” haha

he’s pretty strong on not saying the other, being his sons legacy that he supports pretty heavily.

81. JOFA says:

Math. Hard😊

82. Death By Misadventure says:

Pouzar:
    Very good game goin on in the CFL.

Im seeing what you’re doing haha

83. Andy Dufresne says:

Could se another run of 3 or 4 defensmen in the late 1st early 2nd

84. Jaxon says:

Professor Q:
    Even Burke believes Tomasino is having the largest growth rate in skill level.

That’s a good pick for Nashville.

Great pick for Nashville. He was near the top of my lists.

From a quantitative standpoint:
    He was actually the highest age-and-league-adjusted 5v5 Primary Points to meet the 13.72 TOI threshold at 28.34.

From a qualitative standpoint:
    In Pronman’s grading system for different tools: Skating 60, Hockey Sense 60, Puck Skills 60.
    You know who else had 60 or higher across the board: Hughes, Newhook, Turcotte, Fensore. He has a decent shot, and a slightly below average physical game of 45. but 2nd only to Turcotte. Hughes and Newhook scored 40, and Fensore 20 on physical game.

So #1 in quantitative, #3 in qualitative.

He has decent size and every scouting report I read raved about all his good qualities with very few negatives of minor things like his physical game.

I really believe he might be a top 6 to 8 in a re-draft 5 years from now.

85. HT Joe says:

HT Joe:
    Paajarvi –> Perron –> draft pick (Barzal) –> Reinhart –> Las Vegas draft
    Eberle –> Strome –> Spooner –> Gagner
    Yakupov –> literally nothing
    Hall –> yeah, yeah, I know

You know… if we treat the above as 9 separate trades, the Oilers won the following:
    Paajarvi –> Perron
    Reinhart –> Las Vegas draft (granted, not really the Oilers’ choice, but I’d call it a win)
    Spooner –> Gagner

So the Oilers won 3 of the 9 trades…

86. Regretzky says:

So the bolts have both Foote’s, that’s a thing I’d suppose.

87. theDjdj says:

Tbags Funhouse: No man, he said ” it’s as much fun as watching two guys FISHING”haha

Yeah no way Burke makes a homophobic joke.

88. Younger Oil says:

There is not a doubt in my mind that a top 25 player will be available at #38 tomorrow.

I have lots of doubts that the Oilers will draft them.

89. Munny says:

Canes don’t trade their pick to us and select Suzuki

90. Pouzar says:

Wonderful drive by ESKS there.

91. Andy Dufresne says:

digger50: No it’s not. Holland was prepping for draft before Edmonton. He had favorites identified when he was in Detroit. The moment he got here he started leaking Broberg.

Not a mention before that.

May have wanted to avoid a Chiarelli Griffin Rienhart situation. He doesnt know the Oilers scouts that well.

92. Death By Misadventure says:

digger50: The moment he got here he started leaking Broberg.

I think with this theory, it was the Oilers scouts who leaked Broberg. Entice LA or Buffalo to take or someone else to trade up. That would leave the Oiler scouts with the pick they wanted.

OK that was fun, but now we’re going to far down the rabbit role.

93. Munny says:

Buffalo has a chance to end up with Cozens AND Kaliyev.

94. digger50 says:

leadfarmer:
    digger50,

He is an executive who assigns jobs and trusts his people to do their job
    It’s not like other teams who didn’t need D avoided drafting them

In his shoes, who would you trust more?

95. Jaxon says:

Wow, did not see TBL taking some slow boots who didn’t score much in Foote.

96. John Chambers says:

Kaliyev or Lavoie would make for a great Saturday

97. Andy Dufresne says:

Pouzar:
    Wonderful drive by ESKS there.

Feel free to share. Im watching live. Great back and forth game

98. Pouzar says:

Picture NHL GMs watching the NBA draft yesterday.

99. leadfarmer says:

digger50: In his shoes, who would you trust more?

New guys.
    When your scouting department quits in the offseason you’re screwed
    He decided to keep these guys on board and do their job

100. HT Joe says:

Regretzky:
    So the bolts have both Foote’s, that’s a thing I’d suppose.

I’ve got nothing against the Foote’s, but reading that line reminds me of how hard I used to work to get both the Baltic AND Mediterranean Avenue properties whenever possible.

101. leadfarmer says:

Bold prediction
    Kaliyev fall to us in the second round

And we don’t pick him
    Something about this guy is scaring teams off

102. Munny says:

Ducks take Tracey.

103. digger50 says:

Jaxon: Great pick for Nashville. He was near the top of my lists.

From a quantitative standpoint:

From a qualitative standpoint:

So #1 in quantitative, #3 in qualitative.

I really believe he might be a top 6 to 8 in a re-draft 5 years from now.

I know you brought him forward on several occasions. Particularly his 5 on 5 scoring ability.

104. Bag of Pucks says:

Bobby Nicks now featuring the Broberger.

105. Pouzar says:

I killed the Lions last year for those hideous grade school pajamas for uniforms…full props for these new threads…very nice.

106. Munny says:

Kaliyev does not seem like a Boston-style pick, Lavoie does however, but who knows at this point?

107. Andy Dufresne says:

Although Kaliyev has improved his skating during his tenure with the Hamilton Bulldogs, he still struggles in this department. He has a very upright skating stride which leads to a first step that doesn’t generate the kind of power that a player with his size and skill set should. His top-speed is quite good but it takes a while to get there at times. His ability to move laterally is good but nothing special. He does a good job of getting to the middle of the ice in the offensive zone. He has a tendency to avoid physical contact like a plague and his board play is lacking. He tends to be a low-motor player which leads to his flaws being out on display far more often than other prospects with similar skill levels.

108. Psyche says:

I can’t see Kaliyev getting past Carolina’s 2 picks at 36 and 37. Of course, the Oilers pick at 38.

I like Lavoie and Kaliyev at 38, if either is available. Would be fun to see the Oilers trade into the early 30’s and grab both!

109. Bad Seed says:

Kaliyev is really resembling Schremp now. Hopefully has a better career.
    I remember getting excited that Schremp dropped to us late. Turns out that
    there was a reason he dropped.

110. powerploy says:

we.ve had a lot of coaching and management changes. I think its time for some self-reflection on oiler fans part. Are you ever going to be happy with who you have for Management? Oh yes I forgot we are the experts. Give him a chance, Holland is a long term thinker. If he is as good a hockey player as they think then this is a good move, and 4-5 years from now what an awesome defence that can connect with MacDavid and Draisaddle. Really good D are hard to get, prospects are also hit and miss, the more good ones you have the better. They now have lots they can use as trade bait, for 3rd line center and winger. Anyone they draft today is not going to be in the picture for another 2-3 or likely more years..

111. Andy Dufresne says:

Mike Reilly taking a beating tonight

112. digger50 says:

leadfarmer: New guys.
    When your scouting department quits in the offseason you’re screwed
    He decided to keep these guys on board and do their job

Nonsense

113. Oil2Oilers says:

Pouzar:
    Picture NHL GMs watching the NBA draft yesterday.

They wouldn’t understand the way the player and his family was made the star of the show. Why not a bunch of backroom staff and the owners kids, they are way more important to showcase.

114. Munny says:

Andy Dufresne:

Dude, quotes and attribution here seem apropos.

115. Psyche says:

Andy Dufresne,

Thanks for the great info. You must have seen him play lots.

Makes me wonder if it comes down to, regarding Kaliyev, how well teams develop and the perception of his willingness to address the weaknesses.

116. Munny says:

Bruins bet on Beecher. Sorry, Jaxon.

117. leadfarmer says:

digger50: Nonsense

He chose to keep his scouts in place.
    Or did Red wings scouts get the rest of the league to draft D higher than McKenzies list?
    If you were head scouts for the Oilers and the GM ignored your opinion you would quit the next day.
    What’s the point of doing all that work. You can work for someone that will listen to you

118. Andy Dufresne says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Bobby Nicks now featuring the Broberger.

Oh yeah……$18

( $3 at IKEA )

119. Jaxon says:

BOS gets Beecher… 2nd tear shed.

120. Oil2Oilers says:

Harris pass into the wind just made me a fan

121. Pouzar says:

Trevor > Mike

122. Jaxon says:

Munny:
    Bruins bet on Beecher.Sorry, Jaxon.

Haha, thanks, I’ll be alright.

123. Andy Dufresne says:

leadfarmer: He chose to keep his scouts in place.
    What’s the point of doing all that work.You can work for someone that will listen to you

124. Munny says:

Lavoie’s a heart guy, if somewhat undisciplined. I can see BUF taking him over Kaliyev.

125. Munny says:

Sabres select Johnson.

126. Andy Dufresne says:

Tobias Bjornfot ?

Is he from Kings Landing or Winterfell ?

127. Gerta Rauss says:

Ralphie boy on the stage for the Sabres

128. Andy Dufresne says:

SO who are the top 8 guys left from LTs list??

129. Munny says:

Kaliyev, Lavoie, Brink are the biggest names left on the board going into the 2nd.

This might be a “I had too much to dream last night” kinda sleep for me.

130. Bag of Pucks says:

Why does the leak matter?

Do we honestly think other orgs are influenced in their picks by what Edmonton local media is reporting?

The leaks that have to stop are the character assassination of players right before they trade them. That’s bush league.

Rishaug hearing Broberg is some holdover scout that Holland’s likely going to turf soon enjoying his waning days of being in the know. Even if it is Holland unattributed, I don’t see it feasibly influencing what other teams are doing.

The other possibility is Holland wanted Seider and was trying to swing Stevie Y into picking Broberg instead.

Can you imagine the reaction on this board if it had been Seider? Panties in knots in unprecedented numbers.

131. Jaxon says:

Only 1 out 19 rankings had Kaliyev outside the first round (Hockey Prospect). Highest rank was #5 (Lowetide), Average of the 18 who ranked him 1st round was #20, the 19th highest average.

132. Gerta Rauss says:

alright, enough of this pissing around, let’s see some trades tonight ffs..!

133. Tapdog says:

wow the craziest draft I have seen..
    The Oilers probably want to get another early pick tomorrow.

134. Ben says:

So…who are the best 7 players still on the board, folks?

135. Pouzar says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Why does the leak matter?

Hi BLH.

136. Pouzar says:

Poor Mikey

137. Crazy Pedestrian says:

That was the most boring 1st round draft I’ve watched. Only one trade, only involving picks…

Edit: I will say there were a lot of reach picks, but it didn’t really change the dynamic much since every team was doing it.

138. Bag of Pucks says:

Pouzar: Hi BLH.

?

139. leadfarmer says:

Andy Dufresne: News breaking today is that he’s bringing on two of his Detroit scouts right after the draft.

So keeps Gretzky in charge and majority of the scouts and out of the whole scouting department he’s bringing 2 guys over

140. rickithebear says:

Top 10 drafted Swe Dmen
    2019 Bromberg #8
    2018 Dahlin #1, Bomquist #8
    2012 Lindholm, #6
    2011 A. Larsson #4, J. Brodin #10
    2009 Hedman #2, OEL #10

I am comfortable with a Swe Dman considered top 10 in the draft by nhl teams.

141. Psyche says:

Order for 2nd round until Oilers’ pick:

32. Ottawa
    33. Los Angeles
    34. New Jersey
    35. Detroit
    36. Carolina (from BUF)
    37. Carolina (from NYR)
    38. Edmonton

Remaining order for all rounds is here:

142. Andy Dufresne says:

Andy Dufresne:
    SO who are the top 8 guys left from LTs list??

5 Kailyev

24 LD Matthew Robertson, Edmonton (WHL). He’s had some injury issues but has also emerged as a fairly complete defender.

25 L Nick Robertson, Peterborough (OHL). Undersized skill winger with a sixth sense as a goal scorer. Impressive at Top Prospects.

26 RC Raphael Lavoie, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL). Adam Sherren: “Lavoie is a big physical force who is that old fashioned power forward.” He is a strong skater and has a goal-scorer’s touch. Aggressive, a force.

27 R Nathan Légaré, Baie Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL). Power winger who can score goals, he can find open ice and cash (45 goals in 68 games) and drives to the net with abandon.

28 L Egor Afanasyev, Muskegon (USHL). His numbers are outstanding, plus he’s a big forward with a powerful stride and an excellent shot. I like him plenty.

32 LC Blake Murray, Sudbury (OHL). Big center with plus speed and a scoring touch. A July 2001.

33 F Samuel Fagemo, Frolunda (SHL). I liked him a year ago, no reason to change now. A bona fide shooter, he has more clarity in his game now.

34 L Nils Hoglander, Rogle (SHL). A small skill winger, he can beat defensemen clean. More playmaker than scorer, but has a quick release and an effective shot.

35 RC Brett Leason, Prince Albert (WHL). He is 20. Impressive scorer, massive year over year spike (36 goals in 55 games this year).

143. Bag of Pucks says:

Andy Dufresne: Three Swedish Meatballs sandwiched between 2 slices of Swedish Seeded Rye Bread.

Oh yeah……$18

( $3 at IKEA )

Mmmmm. Horse meat.

144. leadfarmer says:

So what G are we picking with our 3rd round pick tomorrow?

145. Jaxon says:

Best haul:
    NYR Kakko, Trouba (cheating?)
    AVS Byram, Newhook
    NJD Hughes
    LAK Turcotte, Bjornfot
    BUF Cozens, Johnson
    ANA Zegras, Tracey
    I’m tempted to move LAK and BUF ahead of Hughes, but most people have way more faith in Hughes than I do.

Best Haul in Comparison to draft Position:
    NSH #24 Tomasino (I think he’s a top 8, maybe better)
    NYI #23 Holmstrom (this year’s Tyler Benson)

Biggest Surprise Riser:
    DET #6 Seider

Biggest Bad Reach:
    TBL #27 Nolan Foote

146. Pescador says:

John Chambers:
    Kaliyev or Lavoie would make for a great Saturday

Someone other than the Oilers is going to be really happy

147. hunter1909 says:

1st Round 2019:

At least they didn’t draft another project.

1 – Holland drafted Lidstrom, which makes it nice symmetry.

2 – Oilers defence gets creamed over like they’re even capable of getting the frigging puck out of their own end or making/taking a decent pass under pressure. Nurse’s agent already sounds cranky and Klefbom might/might not return healthy. Then there’s Larsson’s back problems, the semi-albatross that’s the NMC to mini-pat Stapleton, last year’s premiere draft selection who tore up juniors last season and could be a regular by 2020. maybe sooner, once a competent organization takes a good look at him.

Oilers can certainly use another first class defence prospect.

148. hunter1909 says:

Pescador: Someone other than the Oilers are going to be really happy

The Oilers are always happy. That’s what the red wine is for.

149. Jaxon says:

Andy Dufresne: 31 LD Ville Heinola, Lukko (Sm-Liiga). A mature player for his age, two-way talent with good speed and calm feet. Excellent passer.

Nope, he’s gone. #20 WPG

150. HenryDrix says:

flea:

I agree, and have to trust that KH knows a few things about Swedish Dmen.

151. leadfarmer says:

Andy Dufresne,

Heinola went to Jets

152. Bag of Pucks says:

Great One sitting right beside Holland. Yup, no OBC influence to be seen here. 🙄

153. Death By Misadventure says:

Andy Dufresne: 5Kailyev

Heinola is gone. Winnipeg at 20

154. Pouzar says:

Maaan 13 is getting eaten alive.

155. Bad Seed says:

Poor Mikey’s eating the football a lot tonight

156. leadfarmer says:

Jaxon,

Avs did amazing.

157. Bag of Pucks says:

hunter1909,

I posted that as well but then remembered it was actually Devellano that drafted Lidstrom, so retracted.

158. Ben says:

HenryDrix:have to trust that KH knows a few things about Swedish Dmen.

So does this make Doug Armstrong an expert on Canadian defensemen?

159. Pescador says:

Oh yeah……$18

( $3 at IKEA )

Now with less horse meat!

160. Oilertown says:

Holland I hope your right on this one.

161. Pescador says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Great One sitting right beside Holland. Yup, no OBC influence to be seen here.

Meh, Wayne is not there to give advice on trades & draft picks.
    I didn’t see Lowe, Mact or Jarri Kurri anywhere,
    Howson was at the table but nowhere near the new GM’s ear, looks like he was demoted to coffee runs

162. Jaxon says:

Yegor Spiridonov – 27
    Nathan Legare – 27
    Albin Grewe – 28
    Drew Helleson – 29
    Marshall Warren – 29

163. Bag of Pucks says:

Four years until the trade request. Let’s enjoy this Broberg pick now while we can.

Who’s this kid’s agent again?

164. texmex says:

Holland looks hammered in his post draft interview lol

165. Andy Dufresne says:

Jaxon,

Jacob Pelltier gone to Flames at 26

166. Todd Macallan says:

Sounds like Holland’s preference is for Broberg to play in the OHL with Hamilton next year unless he will play an “important” role in the SHL. Would be great to see him compared to his peers getting a ton of ice

167. Reja says:

Should be able to get a talented winger tomorrow. I enjoy watching CFL but I swear to god it’s always the same head Ref for every game the one with the accent am I wrong.

168. OriginalPouzar says:

Larsson does not have back problems – at least not any more than any other NHLer.

Missing two weeks with a back issue a year and a half ago does not mean back problems.

169. Andy Dufresne says:

Jaxon: Nope, he’s gone. #20 WPG

Fixed. Thank You.

5 Kailyev

170. Bag of Pucks says:

Todd Macallan:

Like the approach. Get him over ASAP and acclimated to the NA game and culture.

171. Reja says:

texmex:
    Holland looks hammered in his post draft interview lol

Same with Wayne

172. bwar says:

I need a BPA list ASAP! Lots of surprises in the first round. Way more defensemen than I expected and lots of players left to start the second round. Who didn’t get picked? Kaliyev, Brink, M. Robertson, N. Robertson, Lavoie, Legare, Afanasyev from Lowetides top 30 are still available so I think we should have a strong start to day two.

173. Pouzar says:

Have a game Eskimo D

174. Oil2Oilers says:

Puljujarvi to Carolina for the 36th where they pic Kaliyev? It would be a great landing place for the young Finn and Holland might not screw up the Russians development.

175. Andy Dufresne says:

Reilly takes two viscious head shots on teh same play late in teh 4th quarter.

Stays in game. Takes another sack on the very next plays.

And another sack on the next play.

How many sacks for EE tonight? 6? 7?

176. flyfish1168 says:

I love our select of Philip Broberg. Nice wingspan. Great skater and lots of upside. Eats up lots of minutes. By the time he makes it over here, only Darnell and Oscar only possible guaranteed LHD to still be on the team. Caleb looks to like RHD along with Evan. I can’t see Sekera, Russell or Larsson being here. We can’t count on either Samorukov or Lagesson making the team.

177. Oil2Oilers says:

Pouzar:
    Have a game Eskimo D

Pretty complete game tonight, maybe an Edmonton finally has balance

178. Bag of Pucks says:

Reja: Same with Wayne

The drinking started shortly after Paulina’s Instagram deboobs. I mean debut.

179. Spooky Lynx says:

Oil2Oilers:

Maybe for a 2nd and 3rd, or a 2nd and a 2020 2nd.

180. Pouzar says:

Oil2Oilers: Pretty complete game tonight, maybe an Edmonton finally has balance

Love Harris/Ellingson for you guys.

181. HT Joe says:

OriginalPouzar: Larsson does not have back problems

And nobody was calling Broberg a bust 😉

182. Reja says:

Bag of Pucks: The drinking started shortly after Paulina’s Instagram deboobs. I mean debut.

183. Bad Seed says:

Reja,

Unless it’s Dustin Johnson!

184. theDjdj says:

Spooky Lynx: Maybe for a 2nd and 3rd, or a 2nd and a 2020 2nd.

Could you talk both of their seconds out of them for Pulju?

185. slopitch says:

Nail the rest of the pics. Im fine with another quality d prospect but i wanted Cozens or Boldy.

Lots of quality skill available. Lets nail the 2nd and 3rd.

186. Bag of Pucks says:

Reja: It would be tough bringing up a Daughter in Hollywierd but you can’t go wrong hanging around Golfers.

I think Wayne was a pretty positive influence on young Dustin as well. He was a party boy playing below his potential when he first hooked up with Paulina, and Johnson said Gretz was pretty influential in showing him the level of dedication required to be one of the best.

187. Jaxon says:

My Ranking Next 8:
    1. Arthur Kaliyev
    2. Raphael Lavoie
    3. Bobby Brink
    4. Ethan Keppen
    D:
    5. Domenick Fensore
    6. Jordan Spence
    Speed issues but they can score:
    7. Nathan Legare
    8. Alex Beaucage

188. Material Elvis says:

Andy Dufresne: Fixed. Thank You.

5 Kailyev

That Robertson kid would be a great fit in Edmonton.

189. Jaxon says:

Andy Dufresne:
    Jaxon,

Jacob Pelltier gone to Flames at 26

Trading corrections, thanks, fixed.

190. Numenius says:

Oil2Oilers: It would be a great landing place for the young Finn and Holland might not screw up the Russians development.

Note: Kaliyev is an Uzbek who grew up in Staten Island, New York since he was 2.

So he’s more an American than anything.

191. rickithebear says:

Congratulations to the Canadian Hockey development program ( hockey Canada) team who had 13 players drafted in the first round.

192. Turning Tikkanese says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Bobby Nicks now featuring the Broberger.

Now if we can offer the Nando Eggenberger to complete the menu….

193. Munny says:

Legare can’t skate worth a shit, but can score goals like a demon, great at parking himself in the crease a la Tomas…. We already got a Lidstom/Karlsson type…

#detroitmodels

194. OriginalPouzar says:

Per Blue Bullet:

His numbers were good not great, similar to Lindholm in his draft year.

Superelit

Broberg 1.00P/G in 8 games
    Lindhom 0.61 P/G in 28 games

Allsvenskan

Broberg 0.22 P/G in 41 games
    Lindholm 0.20 P/G in 20 games

195. Rube Foster says:

I would be thrilled if somehow we come away with Lavoie or Kaliyev tomorrow. Though I am starting to get a bad feeling about Kaliyev’s Hockey-Bro/60 (which seems like the kiss of death for the Oilers).

I just heard Constantino mention that scouts are questioning the character and compete of Kaliyev and Lavoie.

How does a guy score 20 goals in 23 playoff games – when the hockey is the “hardest & fastest” and the stakes are highest, and not have “compete”? Remember, Getzlaf fell in his draft year because the scouts questioned his character.

Lavoie wasn’t just good in the playoffs he was historically great with 20 goals in 23 playoff games. He’s a 6’4, 198lb, first shot, power forward with good boots. We need scoring forwards, don’t we?

“Lavoie is an excellent skater with above-average straight line speed and enough agility to weave around or fake opponents out of position. He is extremely strong on his skates and can maintain puck possession under physical pressure, using his long reach and wide stance to shield the puck. He can play center or wing, although he looks more comfortable on the wing.” – Steve Kournianos –

Lavoie was also the recipient of the 2019 Michael Bossy Trophy – which is awarded to the best pro prospect in the QMJHL.

Ottawa is trying to reload, would the Sens take our picks at 38, 85 & 100 for their picks at 32 & 83?

196. Material Elvis says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Per Blue Bullet:

His numbers were good not great, similar to Lindholm in his draft year.

Superelit

Broberg 1.00P/G in 8 games
    Lindhom 0.61 P/G in 28 games

Allsvenskan

Broberg 0.22 P/G in 41 games
    Lindholm 0.20 P/G in 20 games

So are you saying he’s the next Lidstrom or a bust? I can’t tell.

197. HT Joe says:

rickithebear:

You won the thread. Nice!

Good night everyone!

198. Munny says:

Defenseman at 18 are voodoo.

We could have picked the best defenseman out of the first round or we might have taken the worst. Or, of course, anything in between.

Button has him 7th, THN, McKeen’s, Pronman have him top 10. Holland liked him over USNDTP kids he had seen dozens of times. CSS has him 5th out of Euro skaters and behind Soderstrom, Heinola but ahead of Seider in rankings. All over the place for every Dman but Byram.

199. JimmyV1965 says:

I don’t hate the pick. I just can’t stand the whole leaking the info. I actually thought no team is actually stupid enough to leak this. Guess I’m the real idiot.

200. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Per Blue Bullet:

His numbers were good not great, similar to Lindholm in his draft year.

Superelit

Broberg 1.00P/G in 8 games
    Lindhom 0.61 P/G in 28 games

Allsvenskan

Broberg 0.22 P/G in 41 games
    Lindholm 0.20 P/G in 20 games

I hope Broberg is the next Larry Robinson he’s only 17 huge wingspan and he can skate like the wind. It looked like Holland had his mind set didn’t matter if Cozens was still on the board he was picking him. I just don’t get Telegraphing the pick Button knew Stauffer knew etc. Should be able to pick a talented winger at 38 tomorrow.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »