Knock Knock

If things go well, the Dave Tippett ‘knock knock’ story about Ethan Bear will become a memorable part of a successful coach-player relationship. Kind of a modern Tommy Lasorda ‘Bulldog’ story involving Orel Hershisher.

Those stories are fun, but the hard work of winning an NHL job is still in play. After Thursday’s effort in Winnipeg, Bear is maybe a little closer to ‘knock knock’ and a job in the world’s best league.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, we are celebrating our 2-year anniversary this week. To mark the occasion, you can get 40% off subscriptions here.

• New Lowetide: Jay Woodcroft’s Bakersfield Condors might be bound for glory
  • New Jonathan Willis: Ethan Bear, Tomas Jurco outshine the competition in second-to-last Oilers preseason game
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Joakim Nygard managing his anger as he eyes spot on Oilers.
  • Jonathan Willis: Assessing the Oilers’ roster as the final positional battles are sorted out
  • Jonathan Willis: Oilers cut Evan Bouchard and Shane Starrett. Is Ethan Bear on the cusp of making the team?
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ bottom-six forwards, penalty kill shine in loss to Arizona Coyotes
  • Lowetide: Injuries and prospects: A brief Oilers history of devastating derailments
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Connor McDavid’s nearing return and four other things we’ve learned from Oilers camp
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How five months in Kelowna changed Leon Draisaitl’s hockey career
  • Lowetide: Matt Benning may be vulnerable to a trade as Ken Holland works to tweak Oilers roster
  • Lowetide: Three players who helped their Oilers hopes and three who didn’t do enough to separate in Edmonton’s fourth preseason game
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Dreadful showing means several Oilers players are on the chopping block with cuts looming
  • Jonathan Willis: How quickly must the Oilers’ top AHL prospects claim NHL jobs before they become suspect?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: McDavid and more: Five thoughts through the first week of Oilers camp
  • Lowetide: Why Kailer Yamamoto’s delayed training camp may benefit his Oilers career
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Brandon Manning on how his contract is hurting him, proving his worth at camp and being a mentor
  • Jonathan Willis: Four players who helped, three who hurt their Oilers hopes in Edmonton’s second preseason game
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How an offseason adding more pop in his stick and skates has James Neal primed for first Oilers season
  • Lowetide: A big night for Oilers defencemen Joel Persson, William Lagesson and Evan Bouchard
  • Lowetide: Handicapping Oilers prospect progress: The development of Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones and William Lagesson
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Eight key questions for the Oilers to solve at training camp
  • Jonathan Willis: Predicting the winners of the Oilers’ top-six and top-nine forward jobs out of camp
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: In, out or on the bubble: Breaking down positional battles at Oilers camp
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Alex Chiasson prepares to return to scoring form for Edmonton Oilers
  • Jonathan Willis: Oilers’ defensive hopes will rest on the new shutdown pair of Darnell Nurse and Adam Larsson
  • Jonathan Willis: How much money will Darnell Nurse make on his next NHL contract?
  • Corey Pronman: Oilers No. 9 farm system.
  • Lowetide: Oilers top 20 prospects summer 2019.

LINE 1 Tomas Jurco-Connor McDavid-James Neal.

Six points for the line on the night, McDavid was absolutely flying for most of the evening. Neal picked up two assists and was around the puck a lot, but he doesn’t so much pursue it as wait for it to come his way. Jurco probably won a job with a pair of goals, he’s been quality (3-2-5 in three games). I wonder if we see this line during the regular season.

LINE 2 Joakim Nygard-Leon Draisaitl-Anton Burdasov.

Two assists for Draisaitl (now 3, 1-3-4) and one for Burdasov on the night, the trio was -2 at even strength but six shots on goal among them was solid. I like Burdasov, he arrived too late is all. If they signed him, can they be sure of him? Needed to get that paperwork done earlier. Nygard (4, 1-0-1) hasn’t done enough to earn a job on a skill line and I don’t know how he fits bottom six. I’d be hesitant to flush that speed, though.

LINE 3 Patrick Russell-Colby Cave-Zack Kassian

Five shots by the line, plenty of good work and often with the puck two time zones from the Edmonton net. Russell (6, 1-1-2) and Cave (5, 0-1-1) spent some time on the PK, too. Cave may need 100 high danger scoring chances per goal. Kassian (3, 1-1-2) looked fine to my eye this fall and I expect he’ll stay on a skill line (possibly over Gagner).

LINE 4 Jujhar Khaira-Gaetan Haas-Josh Archibald.

Haas (3, 0-1-1) finally delivered some good moments, getting a nice assist on the second Bear goal, winning seven of 11 faceoffs and spending some time on an effective PK. Khaira (4, 0-2-2) was impressive again, both points this preseason shorthanded. Archibald (4, 0-1-1) skated miles, the team has a different look when he’s on the ice (speed and aggressive puck pursuit).

PAIRING 1 Oscar Klefbom-Ethan Bear.

Klefbom (4, 0-5-5) makes everything easier, he’s like a cheat code on skates. He played well, mentored Bear and the duo won possession, goal differential and posted three points between them. Is this an opening night pairing? Bear (3, 2-2-4) was rock solid to my eye even before the goals. Strong passing, including lovely feed into the slot for Neal who tipped the puck and drew a penalty. I think he made the team last night.

PAIRING 2 Kris Russell-Matt Benning

Russell (2, 0-0-0) looked like Russell, defended a lot and worked hard below the hash marks. Benning (4, 0-0-0) was okay save for the one play everyone will remember (Perreault was effective in a tight space, Benning caught unaware). Maybe Benning is the No. 7 D opening night. I don’t believe that will happen, but these young blue are chasing him down.

PAIRING 3 Brandon Manning-William Lagesson

I was disappointed that Lagesson (3, 0-0-0) got Manning (3, 0-0-0) as his partner. That’s a tough assignment for a guy ho is still applying for the job. Lagesson is a better defenseman than Manning, it isn’t close. I like his instincts on the pinch, he’s kind of “opposite everyone else” on the team in that he’s conservative. Manning, I believe, will have to return to the minors and tweak a few things if he’s going to be an NHL regular again.

Mike Smith stopped 18 of 21, .857, the Dr. Seuss goal was kind of a fluke and the other two involved goal mouth scrambles. I’m a fan of Matt Benning, but that goal by Bourque (via fine work by Perreault) was a down arrow. Smith hasn’t grabbed the starting job, but he did get into two games this week and after the illness that was a priority. I imagine Koskinen gets Saturday and the opener.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we kickstart the weekend with a full boat of guests. TSN 1260, we’ll have Steve Lansky from Big Mouth Sports to talk Auston Matthews, the advent of social media and Live Mic CFL. Julian Edlow from Draft Kings gets us ready for the football weekend. Matt Iwanyk will tee up the Eskimos game in Ottawa tomorrow (must win!) and Frank Seravalli pops by to chat NHL and the season to come. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

273 Responses to "Knock Knock"

« Older Comments
  1. blainer says:

PennersPancakes: Haha why even watch then? The Oilers got 79 points last year despite:

– Talbot letting in the first shot every other game and Kosk getting used to the NHL
    – Possibly record setting awful bottom six
    – Injuries to Klefbom and Russell at the same time
    – HC and GM change mid season

Im seeing the reworked bottom six, better coach/gm, Neal>Lucic, top 4 being healthy as all improvements. Yeah if injuries happen the team will play worse lol just like with any team.

If McDavid, Drai, Nuge, klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Russell all get injured this team is a disaster. Put me down for 13 points.

I probably will stop watching by the end of October.

I agree too about last year but all I see this year are three legit Forwards and maybe two top 4 D and two very suspect Goalie’s. An injury to any of those could be very harmful but if it’s CMD were screwed.

I was really counting on KH to try and get something done somehow someway..Get creative.. anything to try improve the team rather than a bunch of hunches like we have done in so many years past.

Credit to the trade of Looch but that isn’t enough IMO..

I really hope I’m watching all the games this year and wouldn’t it be awesome if I’m wrong and I’m watching all the way to the playoffs !!

2. Scungilli Slushy says:

geowal: It’s interesting he credits observing Sekera when he was on a conditioning stint last year for opening up his eyes about preparation, eating, “being a pro”etc.

A team that can regularly promote players has a lot of options.

3. Buddy says:

defmn:
    Eric Francis
    ‏Verified account @EricFrancis
    40m40 minutes ago

Can report the Flames and Tobias Rieder’s agent, Darren Ferris, are talking contract. His play during camp made signing the speedy German a no brainer.

If they want those 10-12 GWGs, they’re going to have to pony up.

4. jp says:

Scungilli Slushy: To me it’s not good that players at the AHL level would have to learn that way. They are the future of the team, probably should be some considerable resources invested in all players being taught those things.

A team that can regularly promote players has a lot of options.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Talking about the Oilers cap scenario with a 23 man roster plus Brodz’s contract and talking about the Oilers cap scenario with 3 additional players on IR and replaced on the active roster are not comparable. I would have thought that was evident.

6. Woodguy v2.0 says:

blainer: Yup !!
    I have doubts about CMD’s knee and just have no faith in the goaltending or our depth throughout the lineup.

I am predicting we finish 31st.

I am hoping to be able to at least get through October before I stop watching. Even with that easy schedule to start with.

I am really hoping for playoff’s but just don’t see it. Sure hope I am very very wrong !!

Ok then.

For reference OTT got 64 points last year.

If you’d care to wager on this please let me know.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Anyone that has doubts about Connor McDavid’s knee hasn’t been paying attention recently and most certainly wasn’t watching last night.

8. jp says:

Munny:
    jp,

He’s actually been buried, raised from the dead, and re-buried by a highly variable shooting percentage.Which is always going to affect GF% numbers.

Yes, that also!

9. lacking the apathy says:

Could you please put me down for 97 points for the Oilers and 12 goals for jp Hunter? Thanks for doing this

10. Scungilli Slushy says:

blainer: I probably will stop watching by the end of October.

Credit to the trade of Looch but that isn’t enough IMO..

Watching Connor play is enough in itself for me. Yes it’s disappointing as well, but how lucky are we to have had Gretzky and McDavid on the Oilers?

Only the Pens have had such luxury (said in a Monty Python accent) in recent times.

11. Scungilli Slushy says:

jp: You could go there I suppose. But it’s a big stretch to lay blame with the tram on this IMO.

The Americans probably do because of the development program so many come out of. I’d bet some US colleges invest more in it than the Oilers do.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

Rantanen is on the same plane back from Europe as Laine – I anticipate his deal gets done shortly.

Rieder 1 X $700k – 2-way – potential to be a big value deal for the flames – blah.

Matheson doesn’t think the coach is as enthused with Burdasov as many of the fans seems to be as he believe he’ll need a big Jurco type night to get a contract.

13. hunter1909 says:

TIME IS RUNNING SHORT LESS THAN A WEEK LEFT TO ENTER…

Hunter1909’s Official 2019-20 Death March™

Entries welcome between now and the first puck drop of the 2019-20 season(October 2)

Here’s how you play: Guess how many points the Oilers get in the regular season.

That’s it!

Tie break: How many regular season goals does JP score for his new Finnish team?

14. maudite says:

You’d hope you might give a bit better spread than “more than ottawa” but verbatim retort-wise -> valid

Just he had a pretty large if statement in his and you seem like a fair wagering sort.

Woodguy v2.0: Ok then.

For reference OTT got 64 points last year.

If you’d care to wager on this please let me know.

15. Munny says:

hunter1909:
    TIME IS RUNNING SHORT LESS THAN A WEEK LEFT TO ENTER…

Hunter1909’s Official 2019-20 Death March™

That’s it!

I’m going to need a 2 minute warning lol. Always wait till the last possible minute, is my philosophy.

So far it has only worked well in bed.

Certainly has done no good for my Death Marching over the years…

16. Side says:

blainer: I probably will stop watching by the end of October.

Credit to the trade of Looch but that isn’t enough IMO..

You think this team is only a bit better than the team that was coached by Eakins where Ference was captain and that disaster of a D?

Wow. I am shocked.

17. Pescador says:

Munny: I’m going to need a 2 minute warning lol.Always wait till the last possible minute, is my philosophy.

So far it has only worked well in bed.

Unfortunately, most of the time the last & the first minute are only a minute apart

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Rodrigue backstops Moncton to a win with 30 saves – yes, they won 6-5 but they won.

Lavoie help off the scoresheet in a 3-1 loss. Minus 1 with three shots – pedestrian start to the year.

19. Sierra says:

hunter1909,

83 for the Oil and 16 for JP, please & thanks

20. Pouzar says:

jp: It’s funny how everyone has players they love and hate.

I don’t know what npi is, but I posed this a couple of days ago:

Sheahan 18-19
    Minutes (5v5): 913
    GF%: 39.8%
    GF% rel: -16.48
    OZ start%: 34.8%
    TOI vs elites: 27.5%
    P/60: 1.05

Sheahan 17-18
    Minutes (5v5): 925
    GF%: 49.4% (-1 GF/GA)
    GF% rel: -0.43
    OZ start%: 36.2%
    TOI vs elites: 31.6%
    P/60: 1.68

He’s been buried by DZ starts. And he was much better 2 years ago. You should check out his most common linemates last year.

He’s not a world beater, but I don’t see the big concern with Sheahan.

His 2 years before 17/18 were not good either.

Sheahan won’t out-PK his way out of his lackluster 5v5 play.

I smell some kind of bet here.

21. drglen says:

hmm, read Matty’s article, watched the coach interview at the website.. it’s interesting he is calling the Shehan line.. the 4th line.. ( whereas up to now it has been the ‘don’t call it a third line’. .. Not sure why he feels Shehan such a lock. (and not sure again if he’s heard something, or this is just conjecture.)

with Burdy… they’ll have to see how serious he is… see if he’ll spend a month in the AHL. It would be nice to keep him around, have a better look at his overall game.. and be able to bring him up for a better audition as others fail. I still defer to Dave King.. much as I like Burdy.. King who coached against him, doesn’t view him as a top end player… and there’s a reason for that.

Matty seems less convinced on Haas.. I think he should start based on last game, pk, and faceoffs, . just a more dynamic player than Cave, but.. Haas should be willing as he says, to spend a month in AHL.. maybe less.. let him acclimatize a bit more and get called up. Let’s see what becomes of Cave and Shehan in the first 6 or 7 games.

I think Jurco and Nyggard stay.

No mention of Gagne…. If gagne not playing saturday.. I think he’s being moved.

22. Pouzar says:

drglen,

Jim Matheson
    @NHLbyMatty
    1h
    Veteran F Granlund needs big game in Calg to win over coaching staff lukewarm to his play so far.

23. drglen says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Connors wheels those first few shifts last game, even after watching last year.. … was truly shocking.

24. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Shouldn’t the top pro league in the world take an encompassing and interested position in its highest level prospects? Every resource they need imo, if they don’t listen that’s different, but assuming guys know how to cook or eat, or train particularly the way Canadians come up in hockey is a big assumption.

How many cups have these American colleges won?

25. drglen says:

Pouzar,

hmm that’s interesting in itself. That’s Holland being flexible on a Holland hire.. … that in itself is impressive. Maybe a spot is opening.

26. drglen says:

Tangent but did the late 70s Canadians have a 3rd and 4th checking line? ( or did they have scoring threats on 3 if not 4 lines)?

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Do we think they’ll sign a player to the 49th contract and send him to the AHL hoping that he becomes an NHL player with some time?

28. OriginalPouzar says:

I wish AHL TV had exhibition:

Ryan Holt
    @CondorsHolty
    27m
    Condors rolling out the experienced lineup tonight with the Malone line and Currie line. McLeod, Maksimov, Bouchard, Jones, and Samorukov all present too. Fairly stacked Condors side

29. drglen says:

OriginalPouzar,

If I can answer, …. . . I don’t really think that is the case. I think its more of a shell game. They already know they’ve got NHL players… but not sure if they are low or mid level NHL players.. . so they need to park some, play some, switch em up… … basically extended training camp into the season, to find the actual top 1 or 2, of the mid-low NHL players they already have.
    Just my opinion, … Haas is an NHL player. and a 2nd to 3rd line player. Also Nyggard , same. ( ah, er.. if he can actually score)

30. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

drglen,

– I agree it’s interesting. That’s for me what’s cool about pre season

– I’m sure tip knows that he’s a 4rth line c. Because that is what he is and he’s be good there

– So that’s why tip be like “ let’s try 3cs”

– and be like: I know on paper we don’t have 6 wingers to pair up with our deadly best in nhl top3 Cs

– and we all know instinctively that nygard Kassian Neal Chiasson turco russian dude from no where isn’t elite top 6 winger combo.

– But tip knows we need to split up Drai macd long term.

– and holland brought in all these guys.

– it’s cool. I know I’d be all C and demonstrate what we all know which is hope the draft and develop emerge. So in real time we are seeing this “conflict” IMO

– Do we want secondary scoring or do we want wingers to score on lines without good C’a

31. Leroy Draisdale says:

hunter1909,

thanks for doing this Hunter!
    I enjoy deluding myself so, I will go with Smytty – 94 for the oil and Buchy- 16 for JP

32. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909: How many cups have these American colleges won?

If you have to ask the question

Yamamoto scores for Bakersfield, 1-1 tie against Stockton in the first period.

Josh Currie scores, now 2-1 Bakersfield.

35. drglen says:

sorry to be off task/topic.. sort of… the comments about ‘scoring depth’ for our great centers got me digging… just checked this article ‘nhl fantasy hocky right wing top 50 rankings.. for 2019-2020..

like… hmm… who are the Real Good.. right wingers… assuming basically the top 32 are sorta the ‘best’ on each team ( not really but 32 seems a good cufoff ) ..

I wonder if we should have made a stronger play for Kessel (“11) … the other name there I like
    Kyle Palmieri but he’s still locked in.

admit I’m not really up on the contracts/salaries/complexities of all this… but clearly we could not afford a top 3 R winger. You know… maybe mid to late season.. we will see a bundled trade including some good D for said winger. … … dangit JP.. it’s too bad you are not that guy. It really kind of is.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Great to see Kailer in a game.

Great to see Kailer get a scoring chance.

Great to see Kailer finish.

A beauty:

That was Benson with the slick dish to Yamamoto.

Currie puts the Condors up 2-1 from Marody and Kulevich.

37. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Great to see Kailer in a game.

Great to see Kailer get a scoring chance.

Great to see Kailer finish.

A beauty:

Let’s immediately bring him up! Let’s fuck up another prospect!

38. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: If you have to ask the question

I just happen to think the Oilers know a thing or two about winning, alright?

edit: Winning with Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson and Coffey plus Fuhr in goal.

39. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar,

Has that been his line thus far: Benson – Malone – Moto?

40. hunter1909 says:

It’s easy to see why anyone with a rational approach to life could write off these Oilers already. They’re mentally fragile as a Montreal alcoholic delivering pastries at 6:30 AM at Montreal Central Train station.

41. hunter1909 says:

Leroy Draisdale:
    hunter1909,

thanks for doing this Hunter!

You call yourself delusional?

I’ve entered my own contest with a 101 point prediction thats got me gnashing my teeth and it’s still the pre season!

42. jp says:

Pouzar: His 2 years before 17/18 were not good either.

Sheahan won’t out-PK his way out of his lackluster 5v5 play.

I smell some kind of bet here.

My expectations for Sheahan are not at all high.

But you said ” If he is the 3rd center then we are in trouble.” I see no reason why he can’t be 3C on a bubble playoff team (which itself is an optimistic take on this years Oilers).

What are your expectations? Is he going to be -16 GF%rel again? There could be a bet here, but if he spends the year in the role he’s played so far (in TC) we should expect him to be negative GF% and GF%rel, no?

43. OriginalPouzar says:

Malone picks the D-man’s pockets and rips one home.

Then McLeod with a nice set up for a Maksimov SH tally:

4-2 Condors

44. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny:
    OriginalPouzar,

Has that been his line thus far: Benson – Malone – Moto?

There is no feed for this game so I’m just going off the their twitter feed – only other option was heading to California…….

I don’t think so, I anticipate:

Benson/Marody/Yamamoto
    Joe G./Marody/Currie

Can’t say for sure though.

45. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto and Samorukov with assist on the Joe G. goal that makes it 5-2.

46. OriginalPouzar says:

How much stock do we put in AHL preseason with respect to NHL readiness?

Is it essentially a 1 for 1 factor?

47. OriginalPouzar says:

Whoa, Josh Currie with the beatdown…..

48. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar,

This would’ve been a good weekend to spend in Cali rather than Calgary, weather-wise. I’m considering not walking down to the pub for a pint and it’s only just over a block.

49. Wilde says:

you were 3 away from 69 cmon dude

50. drglen says:

OriginalPouzar,

Holy crap! I’ve got to get that condors subscription!

51. Pescador says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Whoa, Josh Currie with the beatdown…..

I love spicy Currie

52. drglen says:

hunter1909,

Yep… winning is all the mind, .. Sun Tzu and all. Nothing to do with the ‘team of the century’ that you happen to play with.

53. oilersfan says:

Is Bouchard playing tonight?

I can’t find the line up anywhere

54. Oil2Oilers says:

Without McDavid could the Oilers beat the Condors this year?

55. drglen says:

Hey man, I’m watching Camrose v Bonnyville on onhockey. If I lived in those towns, I’d go to those games.

(was looking for AHL.. not there)

56. OriginalPouzar says:

Currie – fight

Peluso – fight

Peluso -fight

Joe G. – fight

Jones – Goal

5-3

57. OriginalPouzar says:

oilersfan:
    Is Bouchard playing tonight?

I can’t find the line up anywhere

58. OriginalPouzar says:

Maksimov with his 2nd to make it 7-3.

Oh, don’t eff with Joe:

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Maksimov’s goal, his second shorty of the game, was a nice feed from Benson:

60. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto with his 2nd of the game to make it 8-3.

61. drglen says:

Kings v Vegas… good game too.

Kings look faster… Adrian Kempe and Kyle Clifford looking great. Quick sharp.

Best Knights, Theadore and William Karlsson..

even match..

over 18000 in attendance for a preseason game!

62. JamesL says:

Dem Condors is stacked.

63. jp says:

They absolutely should.

But it seems a massive jump to me to assume the team failed a player in some way because the player was motivated by a veteran teammate working his way back from a serious injury. You could well be right, but IMO there are many other takes that are equally (or more) likely.

Young people don’t listen unless they want to hear (I guess it’s not just young people). Pretty sure Pancakes Penner and Theo ‘cheeseburger’ Peckham *knew* they should put down whatever they were stuffing in their face. And pretty sure the team gave them a training plan and followed up on it. But as you said, what does a team do “if they don’t listen”?

Why the change now in Bear’s habits? Well he was surely motivated coming off of injuries himself and getting passed over for NHL games after being the top prospect the year before. Great reason for a change in habits.

A message (actually, an example) from a veteran player is far more effective than anything the team could possibly do. Seeing an NHL vet up close, working his way back from major injury is unlike anything the team could provide as teaching material. And you can tell people things, but until they see it with their own eyes, and the time is right, maybe they don’t take heed.

If you want to lay blame with the team for shortcomings fine, I just don’t see a strong case for it here.

64. Abbeef says:

jp: They absolutely should.

But it seems a massive jump to me to assume the team failed a player in some way because they were motivated by a veteran teammate working his way back from a serious injury. You could well be right, but IMO there are many other takes that are equally (or more) likely.

If you want to lay blame with the team for shortcomings fine, I just don’t see a strong case for it in this case.

100% agreed!

65. drglen says:

jp,

mentorship/apprenticeship.. undervalued.

66. Jaxon says:

GordieHoweHatTrick:
    If unicorns…
    Jurco-McD-Neal
    Nygard-Drai-Byrd (if he is legit!)
    JJ-RNH-Chia
    Arch-sheahan-Kass
    Russell-cave
    Gag and Gran to waivers/Bake

Nurse-Lars
    Klef-BEAR
    Russ-Benning
    Persson

Rotate the 3 2 and 3 Rd candidates if the new blood can handle it for a few months consider trading benning

Keep looking for someone to trade with k russell and Gag

How do you keep nuge happy if he is 3C?? High reps? PP1?? Spot shifts in the top6?? Shelter the 4th line??

I like it. I think I’d put Gagner in Chiasson’s spot and move Chiasson to Archibald’s spot or to Nygard or Burdasov’s spot if one of them didn’t turn out once the competition gets real. I’m still giving Granlund lots of rope as a veteran even though he hasn’t looked good so far. I think I have Archibald as 13F.

67. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

I’m callin it now:
    Condors win the Calder!

68. Munny says:

drglen:
    Hey man, I’m watching Camrose v Bonnyvilleon onhockey.If I lived in those towns, I’d go to those games.

(was looking for AHL.. not there)

My nephew is doing the broadcast of the Bonny games, just started this season.

69. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Yamamoto with his 2nd of the game to make it 8-3.

Pre-season, but a nice result. That’s a pretty stacked Bako team. And I think New Holland understands that success breeds success,

70. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Whoa, Josh Currie with the beatdown…..

Popsicle is such an annoying player.

71. blainer says:

Woodguy v2.0: Ok then.

For reference OTT got 64 points last year.

If you’d care to wager on this please let me know.

I not a wager kind of guy as I am most likely wrong on my prediction .. Hopefully. I’m still hoping KH gets something done but if this is the team going into the season it’s gonna be ugly..

Now there are things that can happen that are good.. Maybe the Goaltending turns out to be average.. Maybe one of the D like Bear who I have always been high on will shine.

Maybe the bottom six actually produces and outscores their opponents .. Lots can happen that is good ..I’m just not seeing it.

Fingers crossed !!

72. drglen says:

Munny: My nephew is doing the broadcast of the Bonny games, just started this season.

Hey thats awesome. The broadcast guys were great in this game!

73. drglen says:

hey great news! according to the hockey experts at MSN….. Edmonton is the sixth most watchable team in the NHL right now!

« Older Comments