2019-20 Game 15: Oilers at Penguins

The first time the Edmonton Oilers played the Pittsburgh Penguins, it was January 19, 1980. It was a blood bath. I asked Cam Connor about a year ago about the game, here are his memories:

“In the middle of the second period, Gretzky came over the Penguins blue line and walked defenseman Kim Clackson. I knew what Clackson was going to do, because he always slashed the oncoming forward on that play. Clackson whacked Gretzky on the side of the head, and Wayne went down. Dave Semenko, who could beat Clackson, went right after him. Pat Hughes and I ended up pairing off. Semenko told me he and Clackson fought five times during the melee. At the end of the fight, the linesman began splitting them up, and Semenko turned his head for an instant. In that moment, Clackson came over the top of the linesman and landed a punch on Semenko’s left eye.”

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, there is a Puck Drop Special offer here.

• New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers Mailbag: Fixing the forward depth, slotting the big three, a Puljujarvi trade and more
  • Minnia Feng: The 2019-20 Oilers fan guide to emotions and stressful circumstances
  • Jonathan Willis: How much will the Oilers have to pay to keep pending free agent Zack Kassian?
  • Lowetide: Sheahan hurt, Oilers in need of a two-way centre; some candidates emerging
  • Jonathan Willis: Handicapping the chase for the Calder after the first month of the 2019-20 NHL season
  • Jonathan Willis: Unproductive Oilers forwards are in danger of losing their jobs — and soon
  • Lowetide: Analyzing the current state of the Edmonton Oilers goaltending.
  • Jonathan Willis: Should the Oilers trade for a veteran NHL defenceman?
  • Lowetide: Oilers first-round pick Philip Broberg increases his role; Condors’ Caleb Jones looks NHL-ready
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘I don’t think anyone’s feeling comfortable’: Oilers’ Holland pleased but cautious amid early improvements.
  • Lowetide: Josh Archibald’s injury and limited replacements available puts some pressure on Oilers
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: 4 reasons why the Oilers passed their first true test of the season
  • Lowetide: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and James Neal are leading a quality Oilers second line
  • Lowetide: Assessing the early season progress of Oilers’ defence and goaltending
  • Jonathan Willis: A rare success during Edmonton’s long rebuild, why Oscar Klefbom is the model for finishing Oilers’ blue line
  • Lowetide: Jesse Puljujarvi’s impressive Liiga performance headlines Oilers prospects this week
  • Jonathan Willis: Can the Oilers afford to pursue Taylor Hall in free agency?
  • Corey Pronman: Oilers No. 9 farm system.
  • Lowetide: Oilers top 20 prospects summer 2019.

OILERS AFTER 15 GAMES

• Oilers 2015: 5-10-0, 10 points; goal differential -8
  • Oilers 2016: 9-5-1, 19 points; goal differential +6
  • Oilers 2017: 6-8-1, 13 points; goal differential -11
  • Oilers 2018: 8-6-1, 17 points; goal differential -2
  • Oilers 2019: 9-4-1, 19 points; goal differential +7

This is an attractive chart over the last two seasons and in four of the last five years. Edmonton needs sustain, that can come by avoiding any long losing streaks or by posting at least two more winning streaks of 7-1-0 or better. Goaltending will be key.

OILERS IN NOVEMBER

• Oilers in November 2015: 1-0-0, two points; goal differential +2
  • Oilers in November 2016: 0-0-1, one point; goal differential -1
  • Oilers in November 2017: 0-1-0, no points; goal differential -1
  • Oilers in November 2018: 1-0-0, two points; goal differential +4
  • Oilers in November 2019: 0-0-0, no points

November will tell us a lot about this team. The previous McDavid teams had every imaginable outcome from the first game, Oilers haven’t been fabulous against the Penguins since 2015 (1-4-3).

WHAT TO EXPECT IN NOVEMBER

• On the road to: PIT (Expected 0-1-0)
  • At home to: ARI, STL, NJD (Expected 2-1-0)
  • On the road to: ANA, SJS (Expected 1-0-1)
  • At home to: COL, DAL (Expected 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: SJS, LAK, VEG, ARI, COL (Expected 2-3-0)
  • At home to: VAN (Expected 1-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-6-1, 15 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 0-0-0, 0 points after zero games

As was the case in October, when I predicted 7-6-1 (15 points) in 14 games, once again this appears to be a .500 month for Edmonton. The Oilers said to hell with that noise in October, going 9-4-1 for 19 points and an impressive start. Avoiding a long losing streak is key.

OILERS 2019-20

A hockey team is constantly moving, with the latest positive changes being that Khaira-Nuge-Gagner line and Joel Persson’s return. Hopefully Joakim Nygard and Adam Larsson can impact the roster when they get back as well.

That Nuge line has been outstanding so far. At five-on-five, in just 19:37, the trio is 28-11 Corsi (71.79 percent), 17-7 shots (70.83 percent), 1-0 goals. It’s too early to draw any conclusions, but if this group sticks it may free James Neal for work on Connor McDavid’s line. Also, if the Nuge line works, this team is going to need a No. 3 center with skill in a quick hurry.

HERE COMES THE SUN 2019

I like to review my draft (Here Comes the Sun) board at the beginning of November, don’t usually publish but feel like bragging a little. First, I’m not a scout but can do simple math and can also flag slow players or players getting zoomed by impact linemates. Below are the players I ranked 10 or more slots higher than they were drafted, and the early results. For our purposes, I’ll just do the first round.

• No. 5 overall LW Arthur Kaliyev, Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL). I had him No. 5, but he was drafted No. 33 by the Los Angeles Kings. In 16 OHL games this season, he is 16-15-31.
  • No. 13 overall LC Connor McMichael, London Knights (OHL). McMichael was chosen No. 25 by the Washington Capitals. In 12 OHL games this season, he is 13-13-26.
  • No. 14 overall L Jakob Pelletier, Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL). Pelletier was chosen No. 26 by the Calgary Flames. In 14 games, he is 11-14-25.
  • No. 19 overall R Bobby Brink, Sioux City Musketeers (USHL). I had him No. 19, he went No. 34 to the Philadelphia Flyers. He is 6, 3-3-6 for Denver (NCHC). That’s a major step up in competition.
  • No. 24 overall LD Matthew Robertson, Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL). He fell all the way to No. 49 and the New York Rangers. He is 10, 3-3-6 with the Oil Kings.
  • No. 25 overall L Nick Robertson, Peterborough Petes (OHL). He was chosen No. 53 by the Toronto Maple Leafs and is currently 14, 16-9-25.
  • No. 26 overall C Raphael Lavoie, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL). Drafted No. 38 by the Edmonton Oilers, he is 17, 12-15-27 so far this year.
  • No. 27 overall R Nathan Légaré, Baie Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL). Drafted No. 74 by the Pittsburgh Penguins, he is 15, 6-7-13 so far this season.
  • No. 28 overall L Egor Afanasyev, Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL). He was drafted No. 45 by the Nashville Predators. He is 13, 6-8-14 in the OHL so far this season.

I’m not saying all of these kids will cash, but math remains underrated at the draft and not selecting Arthur Kaliyev in the first round was absolute nonsense.

CONDORS 2019-20

Condors won last night, lots of positives. Stuart Skinner stopped 26 of 28, Evan Bouchard had two assists, Caleb Jones skated miles, William Lagesson scored, Kailer Yamamoto drew another penalty, Tyler Benson made some great plays. Bakersfield back in action tonight in Ontario.

498 Responses to "2019-20 Game 15: Oilers at Penguins"

« Older Comments
  1. Reja says:

GMB3: Because no one really gives a shit Reja

I do.If have to be force fed Crosby Beating Mcdavid on 2 meaningless draws at Centre ice during 2 intermissions which cuts into my drinking time. I want some Cave redemption Dammit.

2. Reja says:

Victoria Oil:

JP is damaged goods he’s been spooked all the GM’s know this. We need to pounce on a desperate one.

3. Bag of Pucks says:

There’s one thing that Draisaitl does that reminds me of an NFL QB or a good golf swing. Whenever he can. he squares his shoulders up to his passing target so that his mechanics (aim and follow through) are always consistent. I notice this a lot on 2 on 1s that he’ll often make a shifty move specifically to give himself that space to square up.

NHL players are good enough to make an accurate pass from a variety of stances, but Leon has that attention to detail to put himself into a perfect and consistent stance whenever possible.

Rock solid fundamentals. You can tell his Dad was a pro.

4. Victoria Oil says:

Reja: Cheer up Nancy after we trade JP plus who doesn’t want any part of Edmonton for a third line Centre things will be alright.

I’m not so sure we should need to add a plus to JP to get a 3C. JP is 21, has an NHLE of about 40 so far this year and has the pedigree of a 4th overall pick. His value has clearly gone up in the last couple months. And he probably could be signed to a pretty decent contract as well.

5. Reja says:

stephen sheps:
    Dunno if this has been mentioned before (and I didn’t read the first page of comments today either), but the more I watch Smith play, the more he reminds me of Roloson. The flopping, the battle level/intensity, the puck handling. The sequence today where his passing sprung Leon really drove that comparison home.

Also, for those of you who are fans of the Belov Bonus content from my Yak reports, we had a Belov sighting today – he made only his 9th appearance in the lineup but had an assist on SKA’s loan goal in a 2-1 loss for his first point of the season. My son had 2 shots.

For me a more controlled Mike Palmateer. God I loved that hot dog.

6. stephen sheps says:

Reja: For me a more controlled Mike Palmateer. God I loved that hot dog.

he’s before my time, but I’ll take your word for it

7. JJS says:

We can’t forget that McD lost a summer of training to injury

His start was phenom

This lag was expected

The second half of the season will be his stage

Unreal ride at the moment

Enjoying it

8. OriginalPouzar says:

stephensheps:

I’ll give you “battle” but that’s about it for me.

Roloson was a terrible puck-handler, in line with, well, pretty much all Oiler tenders in the recent past. Yup, he could do that, switch hands flip to center but, other than that, he was not a good puck handler.

I think Smith has given up one bad goal this year – (not counting the LA empty net goals) – one goal where he should have made the save. Roloson would give up 1-2 per game generally (except when he got hot in the playoffs).

9. Reja says:

stephen sheps: he’s before my time, but I’ll take your word for it

U tube him you’ll fall in love. He’s the definition of a gamer.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

JJS:
    We can’t forget that McD lost a summer of training to injury

His start was phenom

This lag was expected

The second half of the season will be his stage

Unreal ride at the moment

Enjoying it

Could totally be wrong but its my “theory”

11. OilClog says:

JP’s current production has GM’s thinking they can insert him for immediate dividends, luckily one such GM is most likely Holland.

Hollands trade track suggests if he’s to trade JP, draft picks and young prospects will be coming back.

If he’s trading for a 3C, vets will be headed out. Kass, Chais, Russell tied with some picks.

He seems to insulate his talent and not trade his chips for anything in the bottom half of his roster. He clearly sees he has 3 guys that can play the middle at any point against anyone. Oilers don’t need a 3C, they need wings for all these rhino would be unicorns.

Adding an impact winger would allow the coach to spilt 97/29 and reduce both their minutes leaving them with legs for long playoff runs.

12. blainer says:

I think the odds of Smith getting his bonuses are increasing by the day.

No problem for me on the third we will lose for Neal or the bonuses that are going to be paid to Smith.

I think if we are in the hunt around the deadline I hope we can make a trade for a scoring winger or a scoring third line center.

13. OriginalPouzar says:

Puljujarvi finishes with the two assist earlier today.

Skelfeeta loses 2-1 but Berglund plays 17 minutes, had the primary assist on the goal and 4 shots – his offence is coming a bit now. Sign this guy and bring him over next season (Phil Kemp too).

Broberg had two shots and his TOI was back up to over 14 min.

Rodrigues stopped 24 of 29 but got the win, 6-5.

Lavoie with a goal and an assist in a 5-3 loss but, get this, 14, yes 14 shots on net…..

14. stephen sheps says:

OriginalPouzar: I’ll give you “battle” but that’s about it for me.

Sure Roli made some egregious puck handling mistakes, too (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSgmES4zKSU), but I haven’t felt as confident in a goalie going on a walkabout since Roli left.

They’re clearly different tenders from different eras, with different strengths as well, but the style of play comp I was trying to establish was about the way they actually look in the net. Both are intense goalies, battle hard and are physical against opposing forwards when challenged, both are unafraid to leave the crease and use their sticks to generate offence/breakouts, both are surprisingly flexible (Roli with his flopping around, Smith’s incredibly athletic), especially given their ages when joining the Oilers. These comparisons are never perfect, but there are tendencies in Smith’s style of play that remind me of Roli. That’s all.

15. digger50 says:

Dr. Taboggan: Suggesting Drai was the worst skater in 2014-2015 is laughable. Look at the roster posted. That team was awful. Fraser, Gordon, Gazdic, Hunt.

Leon was likely one of the better skaters.

No sireee, he wasn’t a good skater coming out of Junior

16. Jethro Tull says:

Leon was likely one of the better skaters.

Luke “wheels” Gazdic. Fraser the Flash. Boyd “Greased Weasel” Gordon. Brad “Hyperdrive” Hunt. Yep, Leon the worst skater there. Lucky he never had to line up against Belanger and Eager.

17. Reja says:

digger50: No sireee, he wasn’t a good skater coming out of Junior

Every time Leon scores a OT goal a angel gets her wings.

18. Professor Q says:

I just saw the replay of the game at work.

What a beautiful OT and Draisaitl goal. He pulled a McDavid sequence there.

Too bad the tying goal occurred so soon before the end of the game, but hey, that means more points for Draisaitl in a much needed win.

First win against Pittsburgh in the McDavid Era! This is a good omen.

19. GMB3 says:

OriginalPouzar: Agreed – as I’ve been saying, his hands seems to be off and have been for most of the season – just more bobbles, not taking passes clean, etc. – and I think its a function of rehabbing during the summer as opposed to training.

Could totally be wrong but its my “theory”

I also think he’s lost some of his lateral skating ability. He doesn’t seem as shifty with the puck despite still having phenomenal breakaway speed. Probably a hold over from his injury, and will improve with time.

He also plays too much, and I’m sure the fatigue plays a role in exacerbating that limitation at times.

I do think it would be nice to see Draisaitl and McDavid split up for a short period of time for the reasons you’ve mentioned in the past. Looking a touch over reliant on each other

20. Sanderson says:

Alright everyone, talking about the OIlers is great and all, but it isn’t why I lurk on this blog. Could we please talk about how great the Canucks did today? Please?

21. OriginalPouzar says:

blainer:
    I think the odds of Smith getting his bonuses are increasing by the day.

There is a problem with this and its cap space.

The Oilers are currently about $30K below the cap – reason is that they have 26 “roster” players on the cap including the three on IR.

The amount of cap space will fluctuate often through the year but lets just say it stays near where it is (players with come off IR and guys sent down down but, of course, there will be more injuries).

Issues are:

1) Smith even hitting 45 games (I think) and getting the $1M bonus for games players – well, shit, that will lead to an overage and a penalty on the cap for net year.

2) as far as acquiring anyone at the deadline, well, they are currently accumulating that daily pro rated portion of $30K to bank – they are accumulating a very nominal amount of cap space and may not even have the cap room to acquire like a $1M player.

They need to get healthy so they can send guys down and get $1.5M-$2M of cap room to start banking for later in the year.

Holland and his staff may need to start managing the cap on a daily basis soon – sending guys down on days off to run with a 20-21 man roster for those days and then recalling them for game day.

Issue is, for guys on 2-way contracts, its kind of a dick move as it effects their salary. He could send down guys on 1-way contracts that are still not subject to (or have cleared) waivers and then call them back up.

22. Dr. Taboggan says:

Reja: Every time Leon scores a OT goal a angel gets her wings.

Awesome.

23. Boiled-in-Oil says:

OriginalPouzar,

Wouldn’t the LTIR for Larrson cover the Smith bonus money?

24. Andy Dufresne says:

Sanderson:
    Alright everyone, talking about the OIlers is great and all, but it isn’t why I lurk on this blog.Could we please talk about how great the Canucks did today?Please?

Nice. Subtle and well delivered.

For Canucks commentary your better off lurking on days when the Oilers lose.

Im not exactly sure why…..what is it…..hmmmm…let me think…..

25. Gerta Rauss says:

Boiled-in-Oil,

You can’t use LTIR for bonuses

I’m not too concerned about bonuses for Smith- he’ll probably hit a couple of the games played bonuses but if he hits the playoff qualification/rounds won bonuses we won’t give a shit

Overall, I think we’ll be fine(but still tight)

We just need some guys to get healthy and start banking a little bit of a cushion

26. OriginalPouzar says:

stephensheps: Agree to disagree on Roli’s puck handling, OP. Smith is certainly unique and a stronger puck handler than the average goalie by leaps and bounds. Only Smith’s old caddy Ben Bishop is better, IMO. However Roli used that cricket bat-pass rather effectively and unlike many other Oiler goalies this century, he didn’t handle the puck like it was a live grenade. It was a thing he did throughout his career, not just in Edmonton:

Yup, we’ll have to disagree on the puckhandling for sure.

I was going to mention that “bat the puck” move by Roloson but I don’t recall it being a positive play – it was akin to a dump out to center so the other team could bring the puck back in (when he didn’t mess it up).

Roli played the puck but he didn’t do it in a manner that helped the team – finding ways to dump the puck out to center, as we talk about, is not helpful, it gives up posession.

Smith, on the other hand, plays the puck in a manner that helps his defence in multitudes of way and makes the plus play up the ice sporadically.

No worries.

Most have a soft spot for Roli b/c of the playoffs – I get it.

27. geowal says:

EUWH – Exciting Unsustainable Winning Hockey

striatic:
    I don’t think the Oilers current W/L performance is sustainable and a hefty helping of luck was involved in getting this win, but having goalies that can steal games like this is part of being a playoff team.

Having a bad team is no excuse for losing. Yes, it is unsustainable, but keep flipping heads until Holland fixes the team. You can be waiting a long time if you wait till you fix all the holes in the dike. So don’t wait.

29. OriginalPouzar says:

BoiledinOil:
    OriginalPouzar,

Wouldn’t the LTIR for Larrson cover the Smith bonus money?

Unfortunately, no, can’t be used for bonuses.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

GertaRauss:
    Boiled-in-Oil,

You can’t use LTIR for bonuses

I’m not too concerned about bonuses for Smith- he’ll probably hit a couple of the games played bonuses butif he hits the playoff qualification/rounds won bonuses we won’t give a shit

Overall, I think we’ll be fine(but still tight)

Yes, if he hits the playoff qualification bonuses then we’ll be happy but its still likely to cause a cap penalty for next year so that’s not ideal – is what it is though.

Yes, as I said, need to start banking some cap space but injuries will keep happening – i imagine that there will generally be a few on IR through the year and there will not be much cap space being banked most of the time.

There may not be much room at the deadline.

Its not just the Oilers, 2/3 of the league is within a few hundred grand of the cap or using LTIR relief.

Going to be a weird deadline.

31. Reja says:

Could totally be wrong but its my “theory”

If u don’t think sneaky Gio after he took out Connor’s knee is effecting him ask Bobby Orr. Watch the video when Gretzky got flattened They’re needed to be a response but there was nothing but crickets hopefully next time they don’t need cue cards and they respond like a Stanley Cup Contender.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Skinner gets the start for the Condors again tonight – both ends of the back to back.

I think its fairly clear who the org values more at this point as he’s had more starts the Wells overall (by quite a few) and, prior to Wells’ last start, Wells had the superior numbers.

Skinner was indeed awesome last night – only reason Condors had a chance to come back, tie it up and win in OT.

33. rickithebear says:

Sleeping again.
    Just watched the condensed game.
    52 shots allowed.
    They showed 20 highlight Pen shots.
    ( would be considered chances?)
    19 were closed
    The one open shot was a goal.

Wonder how many of the other 32 were open considering
    19/20 highlight shots were closed.

34. Scungilli Slushy says:

digger50: No sireee, he wasn’t a good skater coming out of Junior

NHL skating is about leg strength, that is where separation speed comes from.

Leon was a tank on spindles coming in. The players that get the point find success.

Bear’s training camp comments last season had me thinking he would bust – fit but not NHL fit.

I wonder what it takes to motivate people – to be drafted means hockey is your entire life.

Ethan proved me wrong and I am very happy for him.

I’m disappointed that Marody didn’t do enough leg training to gain a step. It’s the only thing likely holding him back. Undersized players have to have plus speed or it ends up Gagner and K Russell these days.

Smart enough but not fast enough to overcome what is needed. There is a reason ‘most’ players are a certain size given position. Most players aren’t at the NHL level. Or even drivers.

35. Harpers Hair says:

Andy Dufresne: Nice. Subtle and well delivered.

For Canucks commentary your better off lurking on days when the Oilers lose.

Im not exactly sure why…..what is it…..hmmmm…let me think…..

Just finished binge watching Jack Ryan.
    Has the mob dispersed yet?

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Good early kill for the Condors!

37. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson off the snide – goes to the net and puts in a rebound of a Currie shot.

Nice pass by Malone to Currie for the open shot.

He’s been playing well lately and this was coming. Probably the best Condor skater last night.

38. Munny says:

Just watched the game on PVR…

Lucky to win, as is often the case for any team, but considering the amount of rubber the Pens threw Smith’s way, there wasn’t a lot of quality chances from in close, or with good angle. No real open looks. I think the shortie was the Pens first odd-man break, IIRC. Khaira had the best scoring chance of either team in the first. Lots of deflected pucks though off the copious Corsi… and that’s where Smith earned his money tonight.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

My goodness Colby Cave, have yourself a night (credit: McCurdy):

Late addition to the line-up came up big and made a statement in the process. The obvious was his nifty goal which opened the scoring when he broke out of Edmonton territory after a won faceoff, took Benning’s lead pass, powered past Marcus Pettersson to the net-front and then outwaited Murray to make the deposit. The subtle included a whole lot of heavy lifting, much of it on the faceoff dot where he took a team-leading 16 draws and won 10 of them for a 63% win rate, also a team high. 13 of those draws were in the d-zone where he saw a steady dose of Sidney Crosby and Evgeny Malkin vs. just 1 in the o-zone. Despite the imbalance in zone starts (0 to 10 at even strength) the Oilers somehow outshot the Pens 4-2 during the 8½ minutes Cave was on the ice at 5v5, compared to a +9/-41 (!!) shot differential while he was on the bench. Contributed to 3 Grade A chances for, 0 against. Add in 3 minutes of flawless penalty killing and a couple of shot blocks for a rare “great” game from an Oilers role player.

40. pts2pndr says:

digger50: No sireee, he wasn’t a good skater coming out of Junior

The fairy godmother waved her wand and he became a great skater! Bigger players never appear as fast as their smaller counterparts. I would humbly suggest you check your sources or your vision. You do not have his success in junior without plus skating.

41. Reja says:

Huge win by Smith he bailed them out and they will return the favour. Mark your calandras Ladies and trolls today is the day we received a injection of Mojo.

42. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar,

As a courtesy to Mr McCurdy, could you please provide a link to his article to go with the quote. Mucho gracias.

43. Professor Q says:

pts2pndr: The fairy godmother waved her wand and he became a great skater! Bigger players never appear as fast as their smaller counterparts. I would humbly suggest you check your sources or your vision. You do not have his success in juniorwithoutplus skating.

And you don’t scorch the WHL, WHL Playoffs, and Memorial Cup like Draisaitl did without those skills either.

Unless you’re Griffin Reinhart…?

44. OriginalPouzar says:

Esposlito from Hebig (nice play) and Maksimov.

Ooop, nope, Maksi not given the assist.

45. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto draws yet another powerplay…..

46. Munny says:

At the Team Skills competition in Dec 2014, Draisaitl won the FASTEST skater.

Digger is a Man Alone on this one.

47. OriginalPouzar says:

Bouchard makes it 3-0 on a shot from the point on the PP.

Yamamoto and Marody with assists.

48. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar:
    My goodness Colby Cave, have yourself a night (credit: McCurdy):

The

Beautiful goal it might very well be the highlight of his career. Confidence is a thing hopefully he feeds off that spectacular finish and the crushing at the faceoff circle.

49. Munny says:

Reja,

Trips to the A can be awfully motivating…

Remember Matt Greene’s first goal though? What a beaut that was. Looked like a Hockey Gord. But didn’t really ignite any offense.

50. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Apparently 6 of 8 pacific teams decided to be good at the same time. 4 points between us and Vegas, and the yotes are up 2-0 against Colorado after one. They win and they’ll be tied with Vegas. And both Vegas and the knuckleheads play tonight and could close the gap further.

I know it’s still early, but What happened to the notion of “pacific Division being the weakest division”???

51. Reja says:

What a sham the shootout is. If l was king for a day I would scrap the shootout and play 3 on 3 until a goal is scored. More importantly I would lay-off Anti homer Remenda, suck a Flames golf ball through a garden hose Hrudey and Cassie the non biased part owner of the Flames.

52. OriginalPouzar says:

That was quite the first period for the Condors with 20 shots – peppering Cal Petersson – finally rewarded with the three goals as well.

Lots of dominant first periods early in this season where they couldn’t cash and then get behind.

53. Munny says:

Reja,

You forgot General Burke-halter.

54. OriginalPouzar says:

HarpersHair: Just finished binge watching Jack Ryan.
    Has the mob dispersed yet?

Whoa – got the new season of Wentworth (best show out there) and Jack Ryan.

So much for lawyering.

55. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny:
    OriginalPouzar,

As a courtesy to Mr McCurdy, could you please provide a link to his article to go with the quote.Mucho gracias.

I provided credit to McCurdy right in the post.

56. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Yamamoto draws yet another powerplay…..

vid of this happening for the gang, it’s pretty funny especially if you look up who did it (and then chased him around after)

believe this puts Yamamoto at a penalty drawn per game and +10 differential but I haven’t updated that in a bit

57. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson with his second of the night on the PP from Jones.

58. Nit64 says:

OriginalPouzar: I provided credit to McCurdy right in the post.

59. Wilde says:

Rasmus Kupari is, uhhhhh, giraffe-syndrome’d

60. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: I provided credit to McCurdy right in the post.

Yes, but you didn’t actually help provide him any traffic. He makes a living at this. As does The Journal.

And Bruce is one of us. We should take care of our peeps.

Nit64: The courtesy is about sharing the traffic. LT does not want to cannabilize other sites

Precisely. Thank you.

61. OriginalPouzar says:

Rasanen with a couple assists an 9 of 15 on the dot.

McPhee with an assist and a couple of shots.

62. OriginalPouzar says:

I was not aware of the protocol.

Sorry and thank you.

63. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto loses his stick on the PK but uses the feet to get the puck out.

Go Kailer.

64. Reja says:

Munny:
    Reja,

You forgot General Burke-halter.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Burke is a double agent and is still being payed by the Flames I actually don’t mind him because internally it irks him so much when we’re rolling.

65. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors have just taken over this game – been in the offensive zone for about 3 minutes save one clear that got the puck out for about 10 seconds.

66. Nit64 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I was not aware of the protocol.

Sorry and thank you.

67. Buddy says:

Busy all day, avoided the Al Gore, and just finished watching the game off the PVR. Holy moly.

Mrs. Buddy: “If you don’t just love 3 on 3 hockey, you probably don’t really like anything at all.”

Nit64: LT also has a 24 hour wait rule on quotes. I bend it occasionally. I don’t think a super short quote and a link to Bruce would go amiss.

69. Adam Wu says:

Drai’s skating coming out of Junior was like Whitney Houston’s singing or Usain Bolt’s sprinting. He didn’t have the best looking technique or fundamentals but he had so much pure talent that he still got superior results. Now he has substantially improved those fundamentals and with that added to his natural talent it is a wonder to behold.

70. Crazy Pedestrian says:

I guess today’s win will only keep us par for the course as we won’t have gained any ground on any other pacific teams that matter tonight. (They all seemingly will win tonight)

71. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Damn nucks are winning 4-0 halfway through the 2nd. How are they still scoring so much??? Someone smarter than me please tell me that their on a ridiculous PDO heater and that it’s not sustainable…

72. pts2pndr says:

Reja:

Remenda’s two favorite teams are the Sharks and any team playing Edmonton. I have a great dislike for the man and as Broadcaster he tries to be the show. He is much more intelligent when he says nothing but then it may just be the angst I have with his unabashed love for all that is SanJose.

Crazy Pedestrian:

74. pts2pndr says:

Lowetide: Yeah, three lines of quote (kind of a sample) and a link is allowable I have been told. In the case of Bruce, I think we all assume (and OP may have) that everyone reading this blog is also heading over to read Bruce. A link always clears things up. For next time.

I think we are for the most part all Bruce fans! 👍

75. leadfarmer says:

Crazy Pedestrian:

Playing a team without a NHL level goalie helps
    Dell has not been good in over a year well and neither has Jones

76. Munny says:

If there’s one thing Netflix and Crave suck at, it’s providing a decent selection of horror movies. You’d think at this time of year…

77. Nit64 says:

pts2pndr: I think we are for the most part all Bruce fans! 👍

Most?.The exception is for refs at the rink. Amirite?

78. Nit64 says:

Lowetide: They aren’t running a lot of luck, although one suspects (like Edmnonton) they will cool off. At five on five, all indicators are superior to Edmonton (Corsi, shot differential, goal differential) and the shooting percentage and PDO are within range.

The numbers certainly describe a team playing better than the Oil.,That’s why the party pooper isn’t on about the Flames this year. But which team will be better this year is wide open. Beyond that it’s going to be the Oil

Tippet’s just getting started. We’ll see what both halves of the season bring. I’m looking forward to what the D are rounding out to be and Russell on his natural side.

79. Harpers Hair says:

Only team in the league that is top 5 in both GF/G and GA/G.
    But, as you say, the road gets tougher from here.

80. Genjutsu says:

OriginalPouzar: Whoa – got the new season of Wentworth (best show out there) and Jack Ryan.

So much for lawyering.

Watchmen is worth a look.

81. Munny says:

Genjutsu: Watchmen is worth a look.

The bits I’ve seen are awful and the series does a horrible disservice to the character of Rorschach. Why DC and Alan Moore allowed this to be made is beyond me. Bad writing, weak visuals, an open-ended storyline and propagandistic intent… your eyes and mind can spend their time on better things.

But then again, OP thinks a soap opera is the best show out there… so maybe this will work for him.

82. Genjutsu says:

Munny: The bits I’ve seen are awful and the series does a horrible disservice to the character of Rorschach.Why DC and Alan Moore allowed this to be made is beyond me.Bad writing, weak visuals, an open-ended storyline and propagandistic intent… your eyes and mind can spend their time on better things.

Totally disagree with your assessment of the show. Also I think it might be the most important TV show in a long time because of its message.

83. Munny says:

Genjutsu: Totally disagree with your assessment of the show

Lol, well I’m not exactly surprised, considering you originally endorsed it.

Very glad to hear Moore has nothing to do with it. Must be transmogrified at what they’ve done to his opus. Poor fellow, I truly feel for him.

I will not watch another minute of it and will be thankful when there are no more ads to remind me that it once existed. YMMV.

84. Munny says:

Genjutsu: Just the light it sheds on the cover up and event itself of the Tulsa massacre is a huge deal.

85. Nix says:

Genjutsu: First of all Allen Moore has nothing to do with anything he did fir DC. He gave up all rights to have his name taken off of V for Vendetta.

I can see it now,.. the woke Dracula remake is gonna be lit.

86. Genjutsu says:

Munny: By the way, light had already been shed on this terrible event, both on film and in literature.

It’s certainly more worthy of the title than the film.

87. Munny says:

Nix: I can see it now,..the woke Dracula remake is gonna be lit.

That’s funny!

88. Munny says:

Genjutsu: I’d never heard of it. So I’d argue considering the magnitude of the event having a little more light can’t hurt.

Is there a particular reason why another country’s history is so important to you? Why do you consider an event 100 years ago to have “magnitude” today, especially after a two-term Black President In that country? And if you are truly curious about this event, why are you learning about it from a work of fiction, rather than from a documentary or a History book or even Wikipedia?

That all seems quite strange…

Genjutsu: It’s certainly more worthy of the title than the film

In what way is it more “worthy” of the title? How is this TeeVee show closer to the graphic novel than the movie? Is it closer in plot? In characters? Other than the title was bought and paid for, what worth is it giving to fans of the comic?

When you take on the name of something, you create expectations about what is to come. When one then delivers a product that has no relationship to the plot of the original, perverts its most loved character (and contains nothing of the others) it becomes apparent that the title of the TV show is mere “clickbait”.

If the showrunners had a compelling story, shot in a compelling manner, in a compelling world, populated with compelling characters, they wouldn’t need clickbait. The show would stand on its own merits. Instead their purchase of the famous title works against them.

And the ultimate irony is… the showrunners are just as guilty of Rorschach-ness as the original Rorschach…. they are seeing and presenting a black and white world of absolutes. It’s like the formula teen movie that tells teens to be unique.

One should always avoid allegory in fiction. But this goes far beyond allegory and far beyond subtlety into race-baiting and propaganda. Race-baiting is, at best, merely boring, and at worst incredibly irresponsible. And its quite evident to me that this showrunner desires this social irresponsibility and is looking to foment, not heal.

But maybe all of the above is what you’re looking for in Entertainment, and if so, then this show is certainly for you. But it is not for me… and just as it was fair that the show was endorsed, I feel it only fair that endorsement should come with another view.

We should hear both sides, right?

89. Genjutsu says:

Munny: So you misrepresented “shed light” due to your own ignorance of a tragic event?You just assumed you were the world and the world, you?

Is there a particular reason why another country’s history is so important to you? Why do you consider an event 100 years ago to have “magnitude” today, especially after a two-term Black President In that country?And if you are truly curious about this event, why are you learning about it from a work of fiction, rather than from a documentary or a History book or even Wikipedia?

That all seems quite strange…

In what way is it more “worthy” of the title?How is this TeeVee show closer to the graphic novel than the movie? Is it closer in plot?In characters?Other than the title was bought and paid for, what worth is it giving to fans of the comic?

When you take on the name of something, you create expectations about what is to come.When one then delivers a product that has no relationship to the plot of the original, perverts its most loved character (and contains nothing of the others) it becomes apparent that the title of the TV show is mere “clickbait”.

If the showrunners had a compelling story, shot in a compelling manner, in a compelling world, populated with compelling characters, they wouldn’t need clickbait.The show would stand on its own merits.Instead their purchase of the famous title works against them.

And the ultimate irony is… the showrunners are just as guilty of Rorschach-ness as the original Rorschach…. they are seeing and presenting a black and white world of absolutes.It’s like the formula teen movie that tells teens to be unique.

One should always avoid allegory in fiction.But this goes far beyond allegory and far beyond subtlety into race-baiting and propaganda.Race-baiting is, at best, merely boring, and at worst incredibly irresponsible.And its quite evident to me that this showrunner desires this social irresponsibility and is looking to foment, not heal.

But maybe all of the above is what you’re looking for in Entertainment, and if so, then this show is certainly for you.But it is not for me… and just as it was fair that the show was endorsed, I feel it only fair that endorsement should come with another view.

We should hear both sides, right?

Absolutely we should hear different sides.

I think maybe your endorsement of Nix’s joke is informative about your objections with the show.

90. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: I wonder what it takes to motivate people

Apparently Bear had more talent than sense at one point then came to an epiphany at one point in junior where he understood he was in danger of pissing everything away. Draisaitl is German lol, the NHL’s very first uber quality German hockey player. They’re soccer giants for the same reason as Draisaitl’s improving – they analyse their weaknesses and also their opponents and act accordingly.

Meanwhile most junior prospects bust because they weren’t really paying enough attention to start with. They spend their entire lives being feted and mollycoddled for being superior hockey players and end up never developing the hard drive necessary to succeed at the next level.

91. ArmchairGM says:

Sanderson:

You’ll have to go to hightide.ca for that!

😄

92. Professor Q says:

Munny,

Not that I really paid much attention to The Watchmen, but Rorschach was intentionally not a good person and his “Black and White” view also caused him to see and do things incorrectly and blindly (though not always; he did sort of go against his principles when he tried to trick Dr. Manhattan into thinking he was standing oat on his principles even until death). But Moore meant for him to be like this as well as a sort of a parody of other comics.

It would make sense that people with different viewpoints would misunderstand him, while understanding parts of him (he was, in fact, racist, homophobic, and misogynistic) and hold up those parts as what they think is a martyr for whatever their cause is (even 30 years later, where many might misunderstand the past even more).

“[Gibbons and I] thought about superhero types like Batman, so I thought, ‘What would he be like in the real world.’ And he’d be very much like Rorschach—if you’re a revenge-driven vigilante, you’re not quite right in the head. Yeah, alright, your parents got killed when you were a kid, whatever, that’s upsetting. But for most of us, if our parents were killed when we were little, would not become a bat-themed costumed vigilante—that’s a bit mental.

So, I thought, ‘Alright, if there was a Batman in the real world, he probably would be a bit mental.’ He wouldn’t have time for a girlfriend, friends, a social life, because he’d just be driven by getting revenge against criminals… dressed up as a bat for some reason. He probably wouldn’t be very careful about his personal hygiene. He’d probably smell. He’d probably eat baked beans out of a tin. He probably wouldn’t talk to many people. His voice probably would have become weird with misuse, his phraseology would be strange.

I wanted to kind of make this like, ‘Yeah, this is what Batman would be in the real world.’ But I had forgotten that actually to a lot of comic fans that smelling, not having a girlfriend—these are actually kind of heroic. So actually, sort of, Rorschach became the most popular character in Watchmen. I meant him to be a bad example, but I have people come up to me in the street saying, ‘I am Rorschach! That is my story!’ And I’ll be thinking, ‘Yeah, great, can you just keep away from me and never come anywhere near me again for as long as I live?'”

93. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar:
    My goodness Colby Cave, have yourself a night (credit: McCurdy):

94. frjohnk says:

ArmchairGM: he was the omen of Chiarelli getting fired, that alone should be enough for immortality on these pages.

If true,( and I think it is) there should be a statue for Colby

95. Reja says:

ArmchairGM: I’ve always liked Cave, felt there was more to give. I never understood the negativity towards him on this blog… I mean, he was the omen of Chiarelli getting fired, that alone should be enough for immortality on these pages.

I was shocked when he scored I didn’t think in a million years he had that play in him. His line played great and I’m sure they’ll be together for a couple more games.

96. Munny says:

Professor Q,

Oh of course he was a flawed character… But he was not a White Supremacist, lol.

97. Bling says:

I really like the new Watchmen series.

It is not what I was expecting, but in many ways that makes it better. Several of the social issues raised are interesting to think about in the context of the alternate Watchmen universe.

I can definitely see how it would rub some people the wrong way.

98. CallighenMan says:

New Improved Darkness:
    DSF lost all remaining power over my emotional state—slight as it usually was—the very instant I backronymed Drier Sheet Feline from Dead Cat Bounce.

———

Jethro Tull on Valentines 2019 supplied the following Rosetta stone:

Cassandra = Captain Obvious = Caramel Batman

DSF = Dashing Silver Fox = Dead Cat Bounce (I think)

———

Dashing Silver Fox on a solid-marble late-September autopsy table until he dashed his brains out. Truth be told, a solid case if ever there was one.

You missedone “=” sign right in the middle …

« Older Comments