As strong as the Oilers were in Finland during the 1980’s, the club was very slow to draw talent from Sweden. In fact, the most successful Swedish Oil picks in team history (GP) are Magnus Paajarvi (467), Oscar Klefbom (378), Erik Gustafsson (245) and Anton Lander (215).
All four men were chosen after 2008, meaning Edmonton was very slow to register Sweden on their draft map (Nick Lidstrom was chosen in 1989, Tomas Sandstrom 1982). In 1980, 106 spots after the Oilers drafted Jari Kurri, the Vancouver Canucks took Patrick Sundstrom. The Oilers don’t have a long history of success in Sweden, but it’s mostly because they only recently joined the race.
I’m proud to be writing for The Athletic, and pleased to be part of a great team with Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis. Here is our recent work.
- New Lowetide: A look at the best value contracts on the 2021 Oilers, from Jesse Puljujarvi to Mike Smith
- Lowetide: Dominik Kahun’s season of struggle with the Oilers has a silver lining
- Lowetide: An early look at ideal Oilers’ free-agent targets for the offseason
- DNB: McDavid’s latest goal shows why he’s in a class of his own
- Lowetide: Why Oilers fans shouldn’t worry about Philip Broberg’s SHL season
- Lowetide: Let’s make a final call on the Oilers’ 2016 draft class
- DNB: Re-sign Ryan Nugent-Hopkins? Free-agency targets? Oilers mailbag
- DNB: Oilers sign Dylan Holloway to ELC
- Jonathan Willis: Should the Oilers re-sign pending unrestricted free agent Tyson Barrie?
- Lowetide: Five Oilers prospects who deserve NHL tryouts now that the trade deadline has passed
- Lowetide: What are the Oilers’ ideal defensive pairings after picking up Dmitry Kulikov at the trade deadline
- DNB: Ken Holland’s quiet NHL trade deadline sets up Oilers for big moves later
- Jonathan Willis: What the Oilers are getting in trade deadline pickup Dmitry Kulikov: A cheap solution to a nagging problem
- Lowetide: What would the Oilers sacrifice if they traded their 2021 first-round pick?
- DNB: To play them together or not? 97 and 29
- Lowetide: Are the 2020-21 Oilers better than the 2016-17 team?
- Lowetide: Oilers’ top 20 prospects, trade deadline edition
SWEDEN’S BEST, 2021
- LW William Eklund, Djurgardens. Exceptional offensive talent already in SHL.
- LD Simon Edvinsson, Vasteras IK (Allsvenskan). Huge (6.05, 207) two-way blue with great mobility.
- RW Fabian Lysell, Lulea. Breathtaking skill winger, great release.
- G Jesper Wallstedt, Lulea. 6.03, 214, 22 games and a .908 SP in the SHL.
- RW Isak Rosen, Leksands. Speedy playmaker, March 2013. Sixth sense offensively.
- LW Oskar Olausson, HV 71. Skill winger, great hands and 6.02, 181.
- RW Simon Robertsson, Skelleftea. Bert’s boy, has a powerful shot. Feb. 2003.
- LW William Stromgren, MoDo. Big skill winger with good wheels.
- RD Logan Mailloux, Lejon. Big offensive defenseman with a hammer shot.
- LC Victor Stjernborg, Vaxjo. Two-way forward, aggressive forechecker, great passer.
LOWETIDE TOP 35 FOR 2021
- RW Dylan Guenther, Edmonton Oil Kings.
- LW William Eklund, Djurgardens.
- LC Mason McTavish Peterborough Petes.
- RD Brandt Clarke Barrie Colts.
- LW Matthew Beniers, Michigan Wolverines.
- LW Kent Johnson, Michigan Wolverines
- LD Owen Power, Michigan Wolverines.
- LD Simon Edvinsson, Vasteras IK
- LC Zachary Bolduc, Rimouski Oceanic.
- LD Luke Hughes, U.S. National Development Team
- RC Ryder Korczak, Moose Jaw Warriors.
- LW Zachary L’Heureux, Halifax Mooseheads
- RW Fabian Lysell, Lulea.
- RW Chaz Lucius, U.S. National Development Team
- G Sebastian Cossa, Edmonton Oil Kings.
- LW Fedor Svechkov, Ladia Togliatti.
- LC Francesco Pinelli, Kitchener Rangers
- RC Xavier Bourgault, Shawinigan Cataractes
- G Jesper Wallstedt, Lulea.
- LW Brennan Othmann, Flint Firebirds
- LW Eric Alarie, Moose Jaw Warriors
- RW Isak Rosen, Leksands.
- LW Matt Coronato, Chicago Steel
- RC Logan Stankoven, Kamloops Blazers
- LC Brett Harrison, Oshawa Generals
- LW Oskar Olausson, HV 71.
- LW Ayrton Martino, Omaha Lancers
- LW Conner Roulette, Seattle Thunderbirds
- LD Carson Lambos, Winnipeg Ice
- RW Oliver Nadeau, Shawinigan Cataractes
- RW Chase Stillman, Sudbury Wolves
- RW Simon Robertsson, Skelleftea.
- LC Cole Sillinger, Sioux Falls Stampede
- LD Evan Nause, Quebec Remparts
- RC Connor Lockhart, Erie Otters.
The Oilers pick No. 20, the players in that range include a pretty good goaltender. Edmonton’s two pick under Holland have been ‘up the middle’ and I think a goalie might be a possible target.
Bakersfield plays tonight, one of the things to monitor is who gets the shot at wing alongside Cooper Marody and Tyler Benson. I was pleased and mildly surprised to see Ostap Safin get an early look and am intrigued by the possibility of Raphael Lavoie as an option. We’ll find out more tonight.