Things got interesting late last week, as the Oilers were playing hockey most every night while spending days booking passage for the team’s close to NHL-ready players. Tyler Benson, Cooper Marody, Caleb Jones, they’re back in the USA with the Condors.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Brandon Manning, Patrick Russell and someone named Anton Burdasov are still pushing for NHL jobs. Exactly as we all predicted.
The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, we are celebrating our 2-year anniversary this week. To mark the occasion, you can get 40% off subscriptions here.
- New Lowetide: Three players who helped their Oilers hopes and three who didn’t do enough to separate in Edmonton’s fourth preseason game
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Dreadful showing means several Oilers players are on the chopping block with cuts looming
- Jonathan Willis: How quickly must the Oilers’ top AHL prospects claim NHL jobs before they become suspect?
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: McDavid and more: Five thoughts through the first week of Oilers camp
- Lowetide: Why Kailer Yamamoto’s delayed training camp may benefit his Oilers career
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Brandon Manning on how his contract is hurting him, proving his worth at camp and being a mentor
- Jonathan Willis: Four players who helped, three who hurt their Oilers hopes in Edmonton’s second preseason game
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How an offseason adding more pop in his stick and skates has James Neal primed for first Oilers season
- Lowetide: A big night for Oilers defencemen Joel Persson, William Lagesson and Evan Bouchard
- Lowetide: Handicapping Oilers prospect progress: The development of Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones and William Lagesson
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Eight key questions for the Oilers to solve at training camp
- Jonathan Willis: Predicting the winners of the Oilers’ top-six and top-nine forward jobs out of camp
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: In, out or on the bubble: Breaking down positional battles at Oilers camp
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Alex Chiasson prepares to return to scoring form for Edmonton Oilers
- Lowetide: Can Mikko Koskinen and Mike Smith stop enough pucks for the Oilers?
- Lowetide: Shutdown success by Darnell Nurse and Adam Larsson is a key for the Oilers in 2019-20.
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Even if he’s unsure about his return, Oilers’ Connor McDavid looks and sounds like his old self
- Lowetide: RE 19-20: How can the Oilers’ bottom six close the gap in goal differential?
- Jonathan Willis: Oilers’ defensive hopes will rest on the new shutdown pair of Darnell Nurse and Adam Larsson
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: With Evan Bouchard as the headliner, here are the players to watch at Oilers rookie camp
- Lowetide: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and the configuration of the Oilers second line
- Lowetide: Connor McDavid’s 2019-20: Pushing for 50 goals while Dave Tippett loads up the Oilers’ top line
- Lowetide: Estimating reasonable expectations for the 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers: A difficult journey
- Jonathan Willis: How much money will Darnell Nurse make on his next NHL contract?
- Corey Pronman: Oilers No. 9 farm system.
- Lowetide: Oilers top 20 prospects summer 2019.
CERTAIN OILERS 
I have listed the forwards five-on-five points per 60 and defensemen Corsi for five-on-five through pre season, along with five-on-five save percentage for goalies.
I don’t see anyone from this list getting sent down, but a trade before the season is possible (I’ll suggest Matt Benning and Jujhar Khaira as possibles).
I suspect it’s possible (even likely) one or more of these names begin the season on IR. Mike Smith hasn’t played a game yet, he will need to have an ideal week in order to make the roster. We might see a waiver pickup (Eric Comrie, Tristan Jarry) if Smith isn’t ready.
UNCERTAIN OILERS 
At this point, the five available jobs (C, LW, RW, 2 D) likely go to men on this list. I honestly don’t think anyone knows who the team will go with on defense for the final two spots, I’m even less clear after Caleb Jones got sent down. A guess on the five? Not from me, not yet. I think we might see a trade.
DISTANT BELLS 
Andre Burdasov might be the player Alexei Mikhnov was supposed to be, the 15-year delay just increases the anticipation. All kidding aside, he’s not even a distant bell, we’ve seen him in use only slightly more often than the tsar bell.
Brandon Manning is the only other distant bell with a chance to make the team, and at that he would be a No. 7 option. Shane Starrett hangs around due to Mike Smith’s health issues but I think the Oilers would claim Jarry or Comrie if the ailment continues.
RIESEN TO BELIEVE VOL 3
I’ll have this for you tomorrow, lots of movement obviously from the last one. I think we’ll see a quick resolution to the big questions next week and my guess is opening night will look like this:
Leon Draisaitl—Connor McDavid—Zack Kassian
Joakim Nygard—RNH—James Neal
Jujhar Khaira—Riley Sheahan—Josh Archibald
Sam Gagner—Colby Cave—Alex Chiasson
Tomas Jurco, Markus Granlund
Darnell Nurse—Adam Larsson
Oscar Klefbom—Joel Persson
Kris Russell—Matt Benning
Mikko Koskinen (Mike Smith)