The Waiting

Holy hell Zack Kassian. I know the Oilers were still figuring out their lineup last night, but the Flames iced its opening night lineup. Kassian was fire.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, we are celebrating our 2-year anniversary this week. To mark the occasion, you can get 40% off subscriptions here.

• New Lowetide: Joakim Nygard and Gaetan Haas bid for final Oilers spots during a strange game in Calgary
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: An educated guess at the Oilers’ opening-night roster
  • Lowetide: Jay Woodcroft’s Bakersfield Condors might be bound for glory
  • Jonathan Willis: Ethan Bear, Tomas Jurco outshine the competition in second-to-last Oilers preseason game
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Joakim Nygard managing his anger as he eyes spot on Oilers.
  • Jonathan Willis: Assessing the Oilers’ roster as the final positional battles are sorted out
  • Jonathan Willis: Oilers cut Evan Bouchard and Shane Starrett. Is Ethan Bear on the cusp of making the team?
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ bottom-six forwards, penalty kill shine in loss to Arizona Coyotes
  • Lowetide: Injuries and prospects: A brief Oilers history of devastating derailments
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Connor McDavid’s nearing return and four other things we’ve learned from Oilers camp
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How five months in Kelowna changed Leon Draisaitl’s hockey career
  • Lowetide: Matt Benning may be vulnerable to a trade as Ken Holland works to tweak Oilers roster
  • Lowetide: Three players who helped their Oilers hopes and three who didn’t do enough to separate in Edmonton’s fourth preseason game
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Dreadful showing means several Oilers players are on the chopping block with cuts looming
  • Jonathan Willis: How quickly must the Oilers’ top AHL prospects claim NHL jobs before they become suspect?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: McDavid and more: Five thoughts through the first week of Oilers camp
  • Lowetide: Why Kailer Yamamoto’s delayed training camp may benefit his Oilers career
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Brandon Manning on how his contract is hurting him, proving his worth at camp and being a mentor
  • Jonathan Willis: Four players who helped, three who hurt their Oilers hopes in Edmonton’s second preseason game
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How an offseason adding more pop in his stick and skates has James Neal primed for first Oilers season
  • Lowetide: A big night for Oilers defencemen Joel Persson, William Lagesson and Evan Bouchard
  • Lowetide: Handicapping Oilers prospect progress: The development of Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones and William Lagesson
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Eight key questions for the Oilers to solve at training camp
  • Jonathan Willis: Predicting the winners of the Oilers’ top-six and top-nine forward jobs out of camp
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: In, out or on the bubble: Breaking down positional battles at Oilers camp
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Alex Chiasson prepares to return to scoring form for Edmonton Oilers
  • Jonathan Willis: Oilers’ defensive hopes will rest on the new shutdown pair of Darnell Nurse and Adam Larsson
  • Jonathan Willis: How much money will Darnell Nurse make on his next NHL contract?
  • Corey Pronman: Oilers No. 9 farm system.
  • Lowetide: Oilers top 20 prospects summer 2019.

LINE 1 Joakim Nygard-Leon Draisaitl-Alex Chiasson played 3:55 together (all numbers five-on-five), going 1-5 Corsi and 1-3 shots, 0-1 goals.

Joakim Nygard had a terrific game, using that speed to get involved. In a period of about 30 seconds, he sent fine passes to Gaetan Haas and Zack Kassian for Edmonton’s goals. I don’t know that he plays opening night, but suspect he makes the team. Leon Draisaitl was impressive but needed better linemates to make things hum. If healthy, I predict another big season. Alex Chiasson had one great look and played a physical game but didn’t look dangerous.

LINE 2 Tomas Jurco-Gaetan Haas-Sam Gagner played 5:16 together, going 5-1 Corsi and 1-0 shots, no goals. The line should have had more impact but couldn’t hit the damn net.

Tomas Jurco had three shots and one HDSC (high-danger scoring chance) plus at least one gorgeous pass (to Leon). I think he made the team before last night. Gaetan Haas impressed, he was fast, made plays, won battles, faceoffs and scored. Yeah. Sam Gagner didn’t impact the game much at all, but I think he’ll line up on a skill line Wednesday night.

LINE 3 Markus Granlund-Colby Cave-Zack Kassian were together for 4:01 and went 5-0 Corsi, 2-0 shots, no goals and 1-0 HDSC.

Markus Granlund did some good work on the PK, had two shots and took a penalty. I don’t know that he has done enough to be in the opening night lineup. Colby Cave is a player I like but he’s too low event offensively to keep an NHL job. The crazy things is that he gets chances. Zack Kassian played an outstanding game, I was amazed by his speed and ability to get clean shots and good looks. Five shots, four hits, too takeaways. My goodness he was good.

LINE 4 Jujhar Khaira-Riley Sheahan-Josh Archibald went 0-6 Corsi in 5:58, 0-4 shots, no goals and no HDSC.

Jujhar Khaira impressed me again with his aggressiveness, on this night without the puck. Tippett’s style suits him. Riley Sheahan got killed on the dot (two of nine) but two takeaways and some strong PK work in 3:10. Josh Archibald was his usual self, great anticipation and a general pain in the ass to the opponent. I like this line.

PAIRING 1: Darnell Nurse-Adam Larsson went 10-7 Corsi in 13:58 together, 8-4 shots, 1-2 goals and 2-1 HDSC.

Darnell Nurse’s third period errant pass resulted immediately in the winning goal, so that’s not good. I thought Adam Larsson got picked on the first Rieder goal, you’d like to see someone jump into the breach there. I don’t know how long this experiment is going to last, but they can’t tromp around the west and go -2 every night if Edmonton is going to win hockey games.

PAIRING 2: William Lagesson-Ethan Bear were 9-9 Corsi in 8:25, with 2-6 shots, no goals and 2-2 HDSC.

William Lagesson defended well, but the veteran Flames had him chasing the puck a lot. This is to be expected, and Lagesson corrected and won a few pucks, too. Ethan Bear had a similar experience (his battle with Matt Tkachuk in the first period was fun) but his outlet passes saved the pairing and his assist was the only point by a defenseman on the night.

PAIRING 3: Brandon Manning-Matt Benning were 5-5 Corsi in 9:10, with 1-3 shots, no goals and 3-1 HDSC.

Brandon Manning had his best game, but he’s still behind the pack in my opinion. His decisions with the puck require one or two extra Mississippi’s, and that’s not going to work. Matt Benning was quality, he ruined Rittich’s mask late in the game. I like Benning.

Mikko Koskinen stopped 19 of 22, .864. He made five of seven HD stops, I thought his glove let him down on the Lucic goal (he stopped the shot from the point but couldn’t control the rebound). Less upset with the Rieder goals, on the first one the Oilers welcomed the shooter into a dangerous area, and on the second it was bang bang and I believe changed direction. He hasn’t imposed his will on jack diddly this fall, though.

DECISIONS

This is the point in the preseason where the coach and general manager review the 10am waiver wire (that should be fun this morning) and then make their moves. For Edmonton, the decisions are a little murky, but one suspects we’ll land on something like Nygard, Jurco and Manning for the final spots. I do think Lagesson has outplayed Manning by several miles.

191 Responses to "The Waiting"

1. Jethro Tull says:

You have to let the tigers tiger.

If this is what Zack is showing us he can do, he deserves more of a chance.

I a way, he played like we hoped JP would; skillfully, according to the coach’s plan, using his size and speed to cause mayhem.

I thought Manning was very lucky not to have more penalties against him. He was slow and when he was turned, his stick like it or not was often parallel in the midriff of his opponent. Bear had the speed and smarts to deal with his mistakes.

I said last night, Koskinen could be harder to move than Lucic was.

2. dustrock says:

Does Koskinen start on Wednesday?

Is this one of those times we have to work at building him up?

3. Woogie63 says:

Mico thoughts
    Jurco has exceptional closing quickness
    Bear out muscled Lucic last night
    Experienced, slow, no offense centers is a multi-year fail experience

4. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Official 2019-20 Death March™

Entries welcome between now and the first puck drop of the 2019-20 season(October 2)

Here’s how you play: Guess how many points the Oilers get in the regular season.

That’s it!

Tie break: How many regular season goals does JP score for his new Finnish team?

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Cuts today? Lets finalize the 23-man!

I know that Tippett really likes how Russell and Cave have played throughout camp – they play the game “the right way”. I don’t disagree with that but I still feel that those two define “tweener” and “depth call-up”. They likely won’t “hurt you” but they won’t really and any positive impact and this team needs a positive impact in the bottom six.

I put Haas and Nygard above them both right now – while those two have both had “uneven” camps – they have both got better overall game after game and the last few games have each started to materially impact the game positively. If nothing else, they add more speed, skill and creativity to the bottom/middle six. Who knows how this will translate to the NHL once the regular season starts but I think the team “is better” with them in the lineup than Russell/Cave.

Of course, Russell and Cave would both be exposed to waivers and neither Haas nor Nygard would be but I feel that should be/is a non-issue.

I also feel that Jurco has earned a roster spot and, frankly, a start in the top 6 – he is the most overtly skilled of them all and seems to have a high hockey IQ. I thought he looked quite fleet of foot throughout camp, made high IQ plays consistently, battled well, etc. If not for a great save by “Big Save Dave” last night, we would be talking about a beautiful pass on a Drai goal.

6. Mr DeBakey says:

Jethro Tull: I said last night, Koskinen could be harder to move than Lucic was.

Cap Hit Buy-Out
    SEASON ** CAP HIT
    2020-21 ** $2,500,000
    2021-22 ** $1,300,000
    2022-23 ** $1,300,000
    2023-24 ** $1,300,000

Its never too early to start kicking this stuff around.

7. tarvbc says:

Drai-McD-Kass
    Jurco-Nuge-Neal
    Gagner-Haas-Chai
    JJ-Sheehan-Archie
    Granlund-Nygard

Klef-Larsson
    Nurse-Bear
    Russell-Benning
    Manning (only cause I’d rather him sit in the press box more than any other player on the roster)

Holes:
    Second line left wing
    Third line centre
    Top 4 RHD
    A goalie that gives the team confidence

8. Woogie63 says:

Mr DeBakey: Cap Hit Buy-Out
    SEASON**CAP HIT
    2020-21**$2,500,000
    2021-22**$1,300,000
    2022-23**$1,300,000
    2023-24**$1,300,000

Its never too early to start kicking this stuff around.

It is too early

9. Munny says:

1 HDSC for Granny-Cave-Kass? Didn’t Kass have 3 by himself?

10. deankb says:

I would be looking for a nice soft landing spot for Mikko in Europe. He is not a starting goalie for a good NHL team. I don’t know if they are a good NHL team mind you, but he will win them maybe 3-5 games. In comparison, Smith’s passing alone may win the Oilers 3-5 games. Pick up Comrie or Jarry…

Jurco top 6
    Nygard top 9
    Haas 12-14th forward, but the numbers…
    Cave will be a 12th – 14th forward because he can’t score but does everything else well. He’s a center and ideally you don’t have kids in the pressbox.
    Speaking of pressbox, I don’t like the idea of Lagesson at a 7th but he’s so much better than the competition. They will play 12-14 D men this year so why not have him in Edmonton.
    P Russell has a hell of a shot and does nothing with it. Bye
    Also Manning, bye. I don’t need anymore Chia reminders to get angry on a cold night in January.
    Samwise – pressbox. Sorry bud, but I know you will do everything with class and dignity. And you will push like hell to get back into the lineup, which is exactly what they need.

11. Munny says:

Not what I want, but my guess at Tippett:

Drai–McDeity–Kass
    Gagner–RNH–Neal
    Nygard–Haas–Chiasser
    Khaira–Sheahan–Archie

Granlund
    Jurco

The D we know, only question is who gets the PB. I’ll say Laggy becase they will want to expose Manning and hope.

12. Bag of Pucks says:

Lucic and Reider should both retire today. Go out on a high note.

13. Pescador says:

Russell-Benning

Holes:
    Second line left wing
    Third line centre
    Top 4 RHD
    A goalie that gives the team confidence

Appreciate you posting your projected line up.
    Quib: your 4th line is actually the 3rd line, but it’s of little consequence as the Oilers are essentially icing two 4th lines.
    The competition will be about which line gets scored on less.
    I feel like the list of holes has been this or (mostly) bigger for over a decade.
    Also, why do I feel like Ken Holland will fill one of these holes next off season only to have one or two more sink holes open up?

14. Pescador says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Lucic and Reider should both retire today. Go out on a high note.

They get to play the Oilers 5 more times this year, that’s why.
    Talbot will pitch a shutout in at least one of those, bookje it

15. Jordan says:

The most important lesson I hope the Oilers brass has learned over the last few seasons:

It is entirely possible to sink a good team by playing players who play the right way, but aren’t good enough to play in the NHL.

What I want on my opening night roster:

Jurco – McDavid – Neal
    Nygard – Leon – Chiasson
    Gagner – Nuge – Kassian
    Khaira – Haas – Archibald
    One of Sheahan and Cave, and Granlund

Nurse – Larsson
    Klefbom – Bear
    Lagesson – Benning
    Russell

Smith
    Koskinen

16. JJS says:

Gags – Haas – Chas

These wingmen appear to defeat the intent of a quick centre

17. Munny says:

Pliskova knocked out in the first round. Svitolina won her opening match. Bianca plays tonight at midnight.

Munny:
    1 HDSC for Granny-Cave-Kass?Didn’t Kass have 3 by himself?

Those numbers are for the original lines only. LOTS of shuffling last night.

19. Bag of Pucks says:

Mico thoughts
    Jurco has exceptional closing quickness
    Bear out muscled Lucic last night
    Experienced, slow, no offense centers is a multi-year fail experience

This is a great post !!

21. Munny says:

Lowetide: Those numbers are for the original lines only. LOTS of shuffling last night.

Ahh, thanks, was wondering if that was the case.

22. Bag of Pucks says:

Pescador: They get to play the Oilers 5 more times this year, that’s why.
    Talbot will pitch a shutout in at least one of those, bookje it

Plenty of opportunities for a Nurse vs Lucic rematch. I’m down for that.

The best part is, Darnell is crazy enough to want it too. I like a little crazy on the roster.

23. Pouzar says:

Haas deserves a spot. He’s only getting better. Responsible defensively and looks like a threat to score.
    Plus this team could use a Right shot center.

24. Jethro Tull says:

Mr DeBakey: Cap Hit Buy-Out
    SEASON**CAP HIT
    2020-21**$2,500,000
    2021-22**$1,300,000
    2022-23**$1,300,000
    2023-24**$1,300,000

Its never too early to start kicking this stuff around.

25. Con Brio says:

hunter1909,

94 for the Oilers and 10 for Jesse

thx Hunter

26. blainer says:

Based on Kosk’s pre season I would start Smith. Man did Chia ever screw us with that contract with a NMC.. what was that guy thinking.

My guess is we see one of the goalies in the minors step up. I actually like Skinner and think he might surprise. My prediction is we will end up have three goalies on the team pretty damn quick because to that dumb ass NMC.

I like what I’m seeing from the coach but it all goes out the window with sub 900% goaltending.

Pk will also be vital.

I also haven’t been impressed at all with Nurse in the pre season. I hope this is not the player we are getting for the regular season as we all know his potential. I actually wanted him with Lars but beginning to think Klef needs to go back to that pairing.

I thought the team played extremely well last night considering the players in that lineup.

27. rickithebear says:

Woogie:
    Binary analysis:
    Bear>Lagesson

Multivariable Analysis:
    Bear #LDA$HDA@OCSH&4-5OP?OSK*5SKB-G/C2S <Lagesson

Binary Analysis is usually 50+% innacurate with no detail or story.

Multivariable tells a much more complete story of a player.

But thanks for your simple analytical formula.
    😇

28. steelymac17 says:

87 points and 15 goals please Hunter.

29. texmex says:

blainer: Chia ever screw us with that contract with a NMC.. what was that guy thinking.

30. RonnieB says:

blainer,

Posters keep referring to a NMC for Koskinen, but Cap Friendly shows a modified NTC with a 15 team NT list. Until shown otherwise, I choose to trust Cap Friendly on this.
    Maybe the confusion is because Koskinen had an actual NMC during his first contract last season.

31. digger50 says:

Russell-Benning

Holes:
    Second line left wing
    Third line centre
    Top 4 RHD
    A goalie that gives the team confidence

This list of “holes” just looks so familiar.

Sigh

32. drglen says:

I think the roster is set, and to a certain extent it doesn’t matter who actually starts, because they will rotate.

Cave and Russell will be sent down.

I see Granland and Gagne starting in press box. Jurco Haas Nyggard in the lineup. We’ll see how the plus minus check out after five games.. ( conversely, you could put haas and nygard in the PB, and bring them in after 5 if the plus minus is bad)…. But, NHL is about winning and you should ice the lineup you think can win games, 2 points in October is just as good as 2 points in march.

that being the case.. Smith should be the goalie. Team has better cance to win with Smith.

Any D get injured NHL wide last night ( you think anyone would grab a waived Manning?)

Otherwise send Laggesson down and keep manning as 7D, until person gets back.

Benning was probably the best D last night, followed by bear.

33. Jethro Tull says:

drglen,

The roster is set, but the only certainty is Connor as #1 center.

There’s a couple of 90% probables.

The rest?

Imperative that the scoring is shared. Otherwise it’s back to running Connor and Leon 22+mins a night for some sort of semblance of balance.

34. blainer says:

texmex: Are we sure he has a NMC? Capfriendly shows he has a modified no trade clause (15 teams he can’t be traded to). NMC v modified NTC is a big difference.

Yes .. My bad there but It may as well be a NMC with that contract.

Does that mean though that we can send him to the minors because if we can it changes things a lot. We could then just replace him with hopefully a minor league goalie on a cheap contract.

35. texmex says:

blainer,

If has does NOT have a NMC, yes, I believe he can be put on waivers.

36. atxoil says:

Thanks Hunter!

77 points, 13 for JP.

37. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Koskinen must already be overworked because he looks an awful lot like last season. That or he just isn’t very good.

Best goalie on the team was, is, and will continue to be the 25 year old starting in Bakersfield.

38. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

I think Drai drives the second line better than Nuge. For that reason:

Jurco – McDavid – Neal
    Nuge – Leon – Chiasson
    Nygard/Granlund – Haas – Kassian
    Khaira – Sheahan – Archibald
    PB: Gagner

Nurse – Larsson
    Klefbom – Bear
    Russell – Benning
    PB: Manning
    IR: Persson

Smith
    Koskinen

When Persson is healthy, he comes in and rotates with Bear and Benning for 2 and 3RD & Manning goes to Waivers.
    For the most part the wingers can move up and down the line-up as necessary. Primarily a battle between Nygard/JJ/Granlund for 3/4 LW

39. Simba says:

hunter1909,

Hunter, put me down for 90 points for Oil and 25 goals for JP.

40. Ben says:

The bottom 6 is likely improved, but hard to think 97, 29 and 93 all repeat with career years.

The MAJOR concern has to be goaltending. And after investing so much in Smith, Holland has precious little wiggle room to address if the goalies should play…well…the way they’re expected to play.

41. Pouzar says:

Mark Spector
    @SportsnetSpec
    4m
    No Oilers players on waivers this morning.

42. Woogie63 says:

rickithebear:
    Woogie:
    Binary analysis:
    Bear>Lagesson

Multivariable Analysis:
    Bear #LDA$HDA@OCSH&4-5OP?OSK*5SKB-G/C2S <Lagesson

Binary Analysis is usually 50+% innacurate with no detail or story.

Multivariable tells a much more complete story of a player.

But thanks for your simple analytical formula.

Ricki>Woogie

43. OriginalPouzar says:

The defence is pretty easy.

Assuming Persson starts the season on IR, Manning goes down and Lagesson is #7.

If Persson is healthy, he starts as #7D and both Manning and Lagesson go down.

Both Larsson and Nurse struggled last night but that pair is a go. The regular season is simply different and that was two veterans getting ready for the regular season. Do we think Adam Larsson’s game would shine in exhibition? His game predicated on high battle level, being an ass to play against in the defensive zone, etc. – these are not things you see from veterans in the exhibition season. He’ll be ready to go on Wed.

Nurse/Larsson
    Klef/Bear
    Russell/Benning

Lagesson (Persson)

That is set for game 1 and, well, we’ll see how each of Bear and Benning fair over the first few games and perhaps adjustments are made.

44. tileguy says:

Would we be happy if Gagner was put on waivers and actually claimed, I know I would be, but what are the chances?

45. OriginalPouzar says:

We know which tenders are on the team but I have zero idea which one starts on Wednesday

I have a feeling Tippett goes with Smith, his man, but, then, again, Koskinen is the incumbent.

Mikko was actually way better in the exhibition season this year than last and recall how hot he started off last season when he got the net, despite being horrible in exhibition.

46. HT Joe says:

digger50: Holes:
    Second line left wing
    Third line centre
    Top 4 RHD
    A goalie that gives the team confidence

This list of “holes” just looks so familiar.

Sigh

The thing about Chia is that he was excellent at identifying holes, but then he would make a move to ensure that the Oilers would not have the flexibility or cap to fix those same holes. “This hole shall remain a hole long after I leave this team… mwa hahahaha”
    – Top 4 RHD? Sign LD Russel to play his off-side for 4 years
    – Goalie? Sign badly struggling Koskinen to long-term big ticket extension
    – 2nd Line LW? “Forget that, I’ll torpedo the entire LW lineup by trading away future MVP, while signing a seemingly untradeable toxic contract for a player who won’t appreciate having a young captain”
    – Third Line Centre? “Uh-oh.. nearly fixed that one” *trades him for AHL-buyout callibre Spooner* (props to Glovjuice – who, while not the only person to be angry about this early on, certainly demonstrated the most vocal and consistent rage about the trade)

Chia was great at identifying the holes. He was so good in fact, that if I had to grade this ability, I would give him a solid “A”. And due to this ability, I will forever refer to him as… an A-hole.

47. BlueNoteNorth says:

Hey Hunter

Oilers 92 points
    Jessie 14 goals

48. OriginalPouzar says:

rickithebear:
    Have been fighting pain this week: ( even with phentanol patch).
    Worse than when 2 vertebrae collapsed and nerves along chest made false heart attack affect.

Last night was 8-9 day since fracture of wrist.
    In short splint since Monday.
    Needed tramadol & morphine ( never worked before with bone leasion pain) in hospital last night.

“Turns out broke my arm both sides 3 inch down from wrist”
    Edge of Splint has been pressing directly on fracture for 6 days with zero support.
    “Fuck that has hurt”

Really wanted to see the game last night.
    Have missed most of last three!
    Final 3 usually builds an expectation for me.

The autistic in me allways makes me direct and latch on to Analytics.

Allways think after but never say.

“ hope all of you are healthy”

While I would encourage you to be more respectful of others in your posting generally (and potentially open up the possibility to other points of view, analytical and interpretation techniques, etc.), I absolutely wish you nothing but full health and happiness.

Yes, I acknowledge that I, as well, can work on some of the same things.

49. Georgexs says:

Tippett’s PK usage (for forwards who are still on the team and who have played at least 1 PK minute per GP):

Player, GP, TOI/GP

Markus Granlund, 3, 3.14
    Riley Sheahan, 4, 1.99
    Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, 3, 1.91
    Patrick Russell, 6, 1.83
    Colby Cave, 6, 1.71
    Josh Archibald, 5, 1.63
    Jujhar Khaira, 5, 1.58
    Gaetan Haas, 4, 1.02

And here are the 5v5 numbers for the forwards whose position on the roster isn’t set:

Player, TOI/GP, CF%, GF/60, GA/60

Tomas Jurco, 11.7, 61, 5.2, 0.0
    Sam Gagner, 12.8, 72, 4.7, 4.7
    Zack Kassian, 14.2, 55, 3.2, 3.2
    Joakim Nygard, 12.0, 51, 3.0, 7.0
    Patrick Russell, 11.2, 64, 2.7, 0.0
    Gaetan Haas, 12.1, 55, 2.5, 2.5
    Josh Archibald, 11.1, 59, 2.2, 1.1
    Alex Chiasson, 11.2, 53, 2.1, 1.1
    Jujhar Khaira, 11.7, 58, 2.1, 1.0
    Colby Cave, 11.2, 63, 1.8, 0.9
    Riley Sheahan, 10.5, 56, 1.4, 1.4
    Markus Granlund, 11.0, 73, 0.0, 3.6

Granlund seems like a lock because of his PK usage. Jurco seems like a lock because of his 5v5 results. I’d guess Granlund, Jurco, Sheahan, Archibald, Khaira, Chiasson, Gagner, and Kassian on opening night. Haas, Nygard, Cave, and Russell wait their turn.

Watching the pre-season, the team definitely looks to have more offense with Nygard, Haas, and Jurco out there. But Nygard has been on the ice for a lot of GA; that’s going to hurt him methinks and the fact he doesn’t PK. Haas may win out over Sheahan.

50. Wilde says:

hudon is on waivers

51. OriginalPouzar says:

Konovalov stopped 24 of 26 in a 2-1 loss today.

Last game was a SO for him and 2GA and over .900 save percentage in this one.

No idea how he played but, hopefully, the loss doesn’t take the net away from him.

52. defmn says:

Waivers today per Friedman

Colorado Avalanche

D Kevin Connauton
    F A.J. Greer

Los Angeles Kings

D Paul Ladue

Montreal Canadiens

F Charles Hudon
    G Charlie Lindgren

53. dustrock says:

Wilde:
    hudon is on waivers

This is somewhat interesting. Not sure how much he moves the needle but he’s pretty good

54. Victoria Oil says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Cuts today? Lets finalize the 23-man!

I also feel that Jurco has earned a roster spot and, frankly, a start in the top 6 – he is the most overtly skilled of them all and seems to have a high hockey IQ.I thought he looked quite fleet of foot throughout camp, made high IQ plays consistently, battled well, etc.If not for a great save by “Big Save Dave” last night, we would be talking about a beautiful pass on a Drai goal.

55. HenryDrix says:

Benning>Manning
    Smith>Koskinen

Mico thoughts
    Jurco has exceptional closing quickness
    Bear out muscled Lucic last night
    Experienced, slow, no offense centers is a multi-year fail experience

+1. Totally agree. Send out Cave, Granlund, Benning, Manning and (sob), Gagner.

56. Georgexs says:

“I know the Oilers were still figuring out their lineup last night, but the Flames iced its opening night lineup.”

Not only did the Oilers look like a threat to score, they actually scored. Very nice, skill goals against a goalie who was stopping all of their clean looks.

That was a nice pre-season. The offense away from CMD wasn’t dull and predictable. Players seemed more creative, attacked, like Tippett promised, as a 5-man unit. Our skill seems higher. Last night, we seemed like a tenacious Coyotes team, low on proven talent, high on try and teamwork, finding ways to compete through the whole game.

Kassian had plenty of grade A looks. He put away one. Great, great night in the bottom 6. In the top 6, playing with CMD, you need to convert more. Just ask Maroon.

Oh yeah. May the Flames fail often and badly.

57. OriginalPouzar says:

deankb:

I don’t think that is possible unless Mikko either retires from the NHL or they agree to mutually terminate and I don’t see Mikko doing either and giving up millions upon millions of dollars (to sign a materially lower contract in the KHL or elsewhere in Europe).

58. Pouzar says:

HenryDrix: Subscribe

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny:
    Not what I want, but my guess at Tippett:

Drai–McDeity–Kass
    Gagner–RNH–Neal
    Nygard–Haas–Chiasser
    Khaira–Sheahan–Archie

Granlund
    Jurco

The D we know, only question is who gets the PB.I’ll say Laggy becase they will want to expose Manning and hope.

I agree that this is likely what we will see from Tippett on Wednesday.

I think Jurco has earned the opening night 2LW spot over Gagner but Tippett hasn’t seem nearly as enthused with Jurco through camp as most of us.

60. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t believe any Oilers are on waivers today meaning we won’t see any of Manning, Cave, Russell “cut” today. They could assign the likes of Nygard and/or Haas and/or Lagesson but I’m thinking they don’t make any official moves until tomorrow.

61. OriginalPouzar says:

blainer:
    Based on Kosk’s pre season I would start Smith. Man did Chia ever screw us with that contract with a NMC..what was that guy thinking.

Pk will also be vital.

Koskinen’s current contract does not have a NMC but a modified NTC.

He can be assigned to the AHL (cap savings of $1.075M).

62. Bling says:

Jurco scores at a 17 goal pace last season. Maybe he has figured something out.

Haas is very smooth out there and his head is always up in that offensive zone. He looks quick even by NHL standards, both with his feet and with the pace that he moves the puck.

I like that he makes threatening plays out there, moving himself and/or the puck into high danger areas.

IMO he has been better than both Sheahan and Cave by a fair margin.

63. unca miltie says:

Gentlemen, has anyone been to a Condors game in Bakersfield? I am considering driving from Palm Springs to catch a game October 19th? What is the building atmosphere like? Would it be worth 7 hours round trip driving?

New for The Athletic: Jesse Puljujarvi’s fast start leads the way for Oilers prospects as 2019-20 gets underway

65. Bling says:

If Nuge is playing with Neal and Gagner he is going to be F1 on every offensive sortie and F3 on every backcheck.

Give him Nygard.

Gagner can produce like hell in a 4th line role with second unit PP time, give him the CBJ treatment.

66. Harpers Hair says:

Just taking a look at the Colorado roster and cap space following the Rantanen signing ($9.5 million) and they still have over $ 7 million in cap space,

They’ve just put LD Kevin Connaughtan on waivers and seem to be short a RD.

Is there a trade for the Oilers there?

67. OriginalPouzar says:

rickithebear:
    Woogie:
    Binary analysis:
    Bear>Lagesson

Multivariable Analysis:
    Bear #LDA$HDA@OCSH&4-5OP?OSK*5SKB-G/C2S <Lagesson

Binary Analysis is usually 50+% innacurate with no detail or story.

Multivariable tells a much more complete story of a player.

But thanks for your simple analytical formula.

68. Johnny skid says:

OriginalPouzar: A perfect example of where Rikki could potentially take my suggestion and work on bettering himself….

get a life!

69. fishman says:

So just curious. Who makes the decision on final roster construction? Does GM defer to coach’s preference? Consensual agreement or KH decision?

70. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

OriginalPouzar: Koskinen’s current contract does not have a NMC but a modified NTC.

He can be assigned to the AHL (cap savings of $1.075M).

71. fishman says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: If Koskinen craps the bed, and they send him to AHL, I can’t imagine he will want to play there for more than a year before ending his contract and going back to have a Career Elsewhere.

72. rickithebear says:

Woogie63: Ricki>Woogie

Not likely!

My dad taught me everyone is really good at something.

Who is anyone to say what is most important.

Triarchial intelligence.

73. Woogie63 says:

If Cave is sent down is he the fourth line center on the AHL team?

Marody
    Malone
    McLeod
    Cave

Would be my stack rank, because McLeod needs to play minutes

74. OriginalPouzar says:

HTJoe:

– Third Line Centre?“Uh-oh.. nearly fixed that one” *trades him for AHL-buyout callibre Spooner* (props to Glovjuice – who, while not the only person to be angry about this early on, certainly demonstrated the most vocal and consistent rage about the trade)

but, but but, Spooner was never put in a position to succeed and give a chance…..

75. OriginalPouzar says:

VictoriaOil: I think if training camp was a week shorter, PRussell and Cave would be on the team, but they got beat out by Haas and Nygard (who are both KH guys) in the last week.

76. OriginalPouzar says:

Was it just me or did others notice that both Haas and Nygard took a beating out there, essentially ever game they played? Kudos to both of them for continuing to “get right back up and at em'” but I’m thinking these two may struggle with the grind of an 82 game NHL season and it may behoove the coach to have a bit of rotation with some of these guys – some scheduled rest, etc.

77. rickithebear says:

OP:

If it is not criminal.
    Like chemical castration of children.

What is better yourself?

78. OriginalPouzar says:

fishman:

As Tippett said last night, he and Ken will talk today and make decisions.

Holland has the ultimate say but I’m sure high high credence is given to the coach’s thoughts.

79. OriginalPouzar says:

I have a feeling he’d stick it out.

We are talking lifetime altering money for him.

80. Simba says:

Simba:

Simba,

That’s how I see it. Bottom 6 and PK departments look better and the team should hang in there if everything else is about the same give or take. I think there will be more injury player time loss this year though because of the type of players and fast and hard style of play that I see so far. Surprising that Koski still has problem with the glove. I think basically the season comes down to Smith.

This is unnecessary. Seriously.

82. Georgexs says:

LT:

Here are the forwards you picked to see a spike in their 5v5 P60 this season:

1. Jack Roslovic 1.48
    2. Evan Rodrigues 1.39
    3. Jujhar Khaira 1.38
    4. Clayton Keller 1.24
    5. Vincent Trocheck 1.22
    6. Josh Leivo 1.19
    7. Roope Hintz 1.18
    8. Ryan Strome 1.12
    9. Andrew Cogliano 1.05
    10. Filip Chytil 0.94
    10. Jesse Puljujarvi 0.80

You said you looked at 3 year averages, some of that outside the NHL in coming up with your list. And they would spike in the sense that you see them as reasonable bets to finish with 1.5 5v5 P60 or higher.

I used just the previous season’s Points/GP for forwards to predict their current season’s 5v5 P60. As I mentioned in early September, this approach produces a significantly lower error rate than using just last season’s 5v5 P60.

I’m providing a longer list. Some scored at a higher than 1.5 5v5 P60 rate last season. Some have been predicted by the model to be below the league average but it’s close enough that I’m throwing them in there (Perry, Chytil, Wallmark, Spezza, Neal) in the spirit of fun. I filtered some players whose 5v5 P60 and Pts/GP rates were too low last season; the model was basically saying guys like Rieder, Pitlick, Brandon Sutter, Brandon Dubinsky, Fehr, Noesen, JP, and Abdelkader would regress to the mean, not that they would score above 1.5 P60.

To compare apples to apples, anyone on my list that had lower than a 1.5 5v5 P60 rate is a candidate to score above that rate this season. We’ll compare the % of hits on your list vs. mine for the sub 1.5 players. The above 1.5 players I’m not as sure how to judge. MacKinnon seems to have badly underperformed on 5v5 P60 based on his Pts/GP. But Kopitar and Horvat aren’t that far off. I’d ballpark a 20% improvement, on average, for that group.

Here’s my list:

Bo Horvat, 0.74, 1.54
    James Neal, 0.30, 0.99
    Wayne Simmonds, 0.38, 1.09
    Troy Terry, 0.41, 1.13
    Alexander Wennberg, 0.33, 1.04
    Anze Kopitar, 0.74, 1.55

I think we overlap on Trocheck, Keller, Chytil, and Strome. I’ll recap at season end.

Again, the big thing to keep in mind about 5v5 P60 is that it’s noisy. One season’s results don’t do a good job of predicting the next season’s results. Pts/GP does better. Although 5v5 P60 becomes more accurate when you increase the time window (using the past 2 season of 5v5 P60 results to predict next season’s 5v5 P60 does almost as well as using just the past season’s Pts/GP), 5v5 P60 in a season (much less in a shorter time frame or a smaller sample) doesn’t tell us a whole lot about who forwards are. Just something to remember when listing or interpreting the numbers.

83. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

fishman: Didn’t he sign a 4 yr deal???? That would be a LONG time in Bakersfield! I guess a buyout if it comes to that.

If he is “stuck there” I think he would be willing to end the contract

84. jp says:

3 years. But still a long time.

85. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

OriginalPouzar: He’ll/He’d be making U.S.$4,500,000 per year to play down there which I’m guessing is in the neighborhood of U.S.4M more than he’d be making in any other league.

I have a feeling he’d stick it out.

We are talking lifetime altering money for him.

Money isn’t everything to all people

86. Reja says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: If he is “stuck there” I think he would be willing to end the contract

In my best Jim carrey voice. Alrighty then!

87. Jordan says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: Money isn’t everything to all people

True.

But the average canadian earned somewhere around 60K annually in 2017, so maybe that’s 65K by now.

To earn 12 Million dollars, the average canadian earning 65K annually would need to work for nearly 185 years to make that much taxable income (ignoring inflation, as the 12M would also inflate over that same period so for the purpose of simplicity I’m calling it a wash – I know it’s not).

That’s litterally more than the average person could hope to make in a lifetime.

So… I think that while not everyone thinks money is everything, I think the majority of people would be quite happy earn that much money as long as doing so didn’t violate their personal ethics or values.

George: The players over 1.50 are not included in the study. It’s simple.

89. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Jordan: True.

To earn 12 Million dollars, the average canadian earning 65K annually would need to work fornearly 185 years to make that much taxable income (ignoring inflation, as the 12M would also inflate over that same period so for the purpose of simplicity I’m calling it a wash – I know it’s not).

Right. He would be paid to play in KHL or another Euro league. I get the impression he would want to play rather than ride pine in AHL for the last year of his contract. Probably be happier to take the 9 M+ from Chia and go back and play somewhere instead. I get that it is doubtful, and if he does not perform at least as a 1B this year and next he would likely be bought out instead.

90. Reja says:

I have a feeling he’d stick it out.

We are talking lifetime altering money for him.

I have a feeling Tipp asks Smith if he’s ready for the opener if he is Kosh will get the second start.

George: Also, you have WAY more listed than I do. I think to be fair, we should take my list, make sure all 11 I listed are on their teams, and then use an equal number from your list. Otherwise, one player on your list could float all boats.

Finally, iirc I was looking for a specific type of player, underrated and possibly under the radar. Your choosing Nathan MacKinnon, as an example, frames this issue in a different way altogether.

I choose at this time to opt out of this exercise. It is wildly unfair on the face of it, and I think you will agree given time to contemplate. Nathan MacKinnon. Haha.

92. OilClog says:

Oilers should claim Lindgren.

Oilers should keep Gagner, he produces regardless of flaws.

A lot of these mules being fawned over are going to have a mightily difficult time trying to produce against real line ups.

Let’s not ship out the proven ability for small sample sizes.

Move on from Samwise at somepoint during the season if enough of the mules can hold up.

93. pts2pndr says:

Munny:
    Not what I want, but my guess at Tippett:

Drai–McDeity–Kass
    Gagner–RNH–Neal
    Nygard–Haas–Chiasser
    Khaira–Sheahan–Archie

Granlund
    Jurco

Ithink if you put jurco on the scond line and move Gagner to the Nygard Haas line you would be bang on the Munny.😉

94. OilClog says:

Maybe St.Lou wants a piece of Koski 🤷‍♂️

Larsson and Koski for the Alex fella, Pete would down.

95. pts2pndr says:

Jethro Tull: So an above level replacement for him would work out about the same as keeping him, minus the shitty play.

Have you ever heard the saying “. Don’t borrow trouble”. What you say may happen and if so it will be dealt with. It is the dawning of a new day.

96. Pescador says:

Klefbom – Bear
    Russell – Benning
    PB: Manning
    IR: Persson

Smith
    Koskinen

This is essentially the lineup I’d like to see as well (barring the 3Cs on separate lines).

Possibly switch Chiasson/Kassian. And maybe Gagner in for Nygard/Granlund (I’d be surprised if Granlund doesn’t start in the PB due to missed time).

If McDavid can carry a line (>55%GF) without Draisaitl or Nugent-Hopkins that’s step 1 in this team becoming a contender.

The flip side is that Nuge (and for the most part Draisaitl also) have shown they can’t keep their head above water with the available wingers. Together they SHOULD be able to do it.

The 3 C setup I’d love to (but probably won’t) see:

Jurco-McDavid-Neal
    Gagner-Leon-Chiasson
    Nygard-Nuge-Kassian
    Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald
    Granlund-Haas

98. Wilde says:

A great first test of Holland & Tippett’s intra-season resource management is going to be addressing this crop of defensemen.

There’s a ton of things that shouldn’t be done unless absolutely unavoidable, that I’m not sure they’ll avoid.

Maybe they’ll prove me wrong.

Two examples:

1) Playing Manning (at a game’s starting pairings) alongside Jones, Bear, Lagesson.

2) Running this:

Klefbom – Larsson [ Nurse – Larsson ]
    Nurse – Russell [Klefbom – Benning ]
    Manning – Benning [ Manning – Russell ]

Both of these without a substantial and specific set of injuries wouldn’t be crazy surprising, but they would be low-key indefensible.

99. RonnieB says:

OriginalPouzar: I agree and I would think Tippett understands that performances early in camp do name equate directly with performances late in capm.

It’s really difficult to find any fault with that proposed lineup. I would be hesitant to rule out P. Russell though. I wouldn’t read too much into him not playing last night. IIRC he played all 6 previous games.
    Holland has spoken highly of Russell as far back as “seeing him good” in last year’s playoffs; he is also a Tippett type player. Would Holland and Tippett risk losing him on waivers ?

100. Melvis says:

Did someone say “covers”?

(…about 16 hours ago, you idjit.)

Yeah, but the preseason wasn’t over. This one’s dedicated to Woodguy and the non-bettors;-)
    Doc Pomus wrote it for Elvis. A bit of fluff, that… compared to Shawn Colvin’s, what…plaintive wail?

Any mention of Trent Reznor has me thinking of the following cover for Chiarelli. Or Koski a bit too often.
    The Animal kingdom theme could use three more minutes, but you get the pic.

101. Rebillled says:

Woogie63,

It’s never too early to start acting on this goalie situation.

I don’t know why the Chiarelliverse gave us this guy for 3 YEARS but this is not good.

Not good.

‘Hi I wanna win a Stanley Cup’
    “Who’s your goalie?’
    *dies

102. Sierra says:

Bling:

Give him Nygard.

This, all day long.

103. Numenius says:

I found Nurse’s play concerning yesterday.

He was not only primarily at fault for the second Rieder goal but also the first.

If you look at the second angle of the replay, he backed away from challenging Rieder in order to cover another guy who was already being covered. So he let Rieder have a free shot while unnecessarily double teaming someone else.

Did anyone else notice this?

104. jp says:

I’m not sure there’s even a 1% chance he’d be claimed… But I think the prudent move would be to expose Manning to waivers regardless of whether they plan to use him as 7D or not. Removing that extra $1.2-$1.5M in salary from the Cap would be nice, however unlikely.

I guess the same argument could be applied to Gagner, except:

1) I feel like he’s less likely to be claimed due to his higher cap hit and

2) he’s far more likely to be a contributor to the team this season (IMO). It’s quite different to waive a player who isn’t “in the plans” (Manning) than one who is (Gagner).

105. Yeti says:

Numenius: Did anyone else notice this?

106. Numenius says:

Yeti: Perhaps – given a year’s painful experience – he thought that Reider couldn’t possibly score from pretty much any angle?

Lol. That did cross my mind as well.

107. hunter1909 says:

Numenius:
    I found Nurse’s play concerning yesterday.

Did anyone else notice this?

108. leadfarmer says:

Gagner and Neal are pretty good at producing goals.

Especially for the opposition

109. Ryan says:

hunter1909: Obviously Nurse decided Reider had zero chance of scoring, based on his own experience playing with Reider last season etc. He might have done the same with Lucic, other than for the fact the last time Lucic entered the offensive zone carrying the puck single handed was in bantam.

Bold prediction.

Reider outscores Chaser this season.

110. rickithebear says:

As Felix unger once demonstrated in court.
    You never assume.

Earliest reference I could find were persons saying athletic coaches.
    Ranging from 1961 to 1968.

111. HT Joe says:

Ryan: Bold prediction.

Reider outscores Chaser this season.

A bolder prediction would be Lucic our scores Neal. Haha!!

112. drglen says:

Kassian’s found his mojo… I did not see this ‘class’ (skills and presence) at all.. .. this is a very pleasant surprise.

Nurse is good…………… right?

Would they put Russell on waiver? The question is this… should your 4th line score? I think they actually should.. and not just be the energy line or the prevent defense line… they should score.

for that reason, we should be willing to put P. Russell on waivers, and Cave on waivers. They will not score. My hope/thought is ( reading Hollands brain..) and seems to be the plan.. everybody should be able to score 10 + .. “in addition” .. to the energy and defense they provide.

113. JimmyV1965 says:

Ryan: Bold prediction.

Reider outscores Chaser this season.

114. jp says:

Ryan: Bold prediction.

Reider outscores Chaser this season.

Good one.

I wouldn’t bet on it, but it’s definitely possible.

115. Numenius says:

Numenius:
    I found Nurse’s play concerning yesterday.

Did anyone else notice this?

Ok, I’m an idiot. I checked again and it was Larsson, not Nurse.

As you were. Sorry Nurse.

116. drglen says:

Numenius,

Larrson.. bit rusty. But the pair (nurse/larsson)… .. er.. ah.. no worries. remember the world championships.

117. duct tape and foil says:

Certain things are known:

Cave and Russell have good motors, are good defensively, but cannot score to save their lives. Having them on the roster to address a historically poor scoring bottom 6 achieves nothing. Sure they are “nice guys” but Nygard and Haas both are far superior skaters and have some offense and perhaps a future. The faster the new guys get the reps in the better. Put Cave and Russell on waivers and demote if they clear. First call-ups are Benson, Marody and Yamo in that order.

Manning is slow as molasses and would have been cut/demoted a week ago if he didn’t have a contract. Why keep him? Sure Bear and Lagesson can clear waivers and play in the AHL, but they won’t next year, and they will not build any more trade value than they have now in the AHL. At least one of Bear, Lagessen and Jones need to be traded by next summer and all these guys need NHL reps to build any kind of trade value. I like Lagesson cycle breaking ability and skating and he needs to develop those in the NHL against NHL caliber players.

This year is balanced between development and winning. Sure keep the vets if they help you win, but Cave, Russell and Manning won’t score (1 goal in their 16 combined games) and won’t help anyone win. Keeping any of them on the roster is pointless.

Smell a trade for LW or RD. Always liked the Lehkonen kid in MTL, or maybe you can pull Gudas out of WAS.

118. drglen says:

OriginalPouzar,

For sure…

I see a rotation anyways…. but this scheduled rest idea.. is maybe something we should consider regardless, and I’m thinking of our top guys. NHL players would probably be resistant to that… personal stats, pride.. push for playoffs, .. .. again NBA is way ahead of our league on this. Some innovative team will figure out that sharpening the saw cuts more wood.

but I see Nygarrd, Jurco, Haas, Gagne, Chaisson, Khaira even, . Granland.. and Sheehan.. as all being rotatable. (would be good for Neal too)

7 D should also rotate in..

119. blainer says:

Numenius:
    I found Nurse’s play concerning yesterday.

Did anyone else notice this?

Nurse should be better than last night’s game.. Maybe you can blame it on preseason but a lot of this stuff happened last year.

I loved the thought of a Nurse Lars pairing.. now… not so much.

This team really needs Nurse to be the D we all know he can be..

120. Munny says:

Jason Gregor‏Verified account @JasonGregor · 3h3 hours ago

Oilers 7th Dman discussion.
    If Lagesson is here and Manning goes to minors their combined cap hit is $1.916.666.
    If Manning here and Lagesson in minors cap hit is $2.25m. Ability and cap savings suggest Lagesson makes more sense to be on 23-man roster, unless Persson healthy.

This is actually key, IMO.

121. Scungilli Slushy says:

I think Manning’s long look is a clever play. New regime, sticks around, maybe somebody needing a D sees him good. Easy out.

122. Mr DeBakey says:

Fun Facts

This preseason Cave has dressed for 6 games, Sheahan 4:
    Cave has out-face-offed Sheahan,
    Out-Fenwicked Sheahan at 5v5,
    Out-shot Sheahan 6-2 at 5v5
    Allowed the same number, 1, of 5v5 GA – but over 6 games to Sheahan’s 4.
    Sheahan has out-scored Cave at 5v5 1-0, but they have the same number of points.

And Sheahan has had much more stability on his wings than Cave.

123. Munny says:

Scungilli Slushy,

I actually didn’t think he was that bad last night. Won some important battles, drew a penalty. The one horrific pre-season game he had, he was playing on his wrong side.

But I still think Holly has to expose him to waivers. Maybe they do, and then don’t send him down if he passes through. Lagesson has looked a little overwhelmed the past two games and they’re just going to get tougher from here on out.

124. hunter1909 says:

BACK FOR A CRAPTACULAR …oops SPECTACULAR 6TH SEASON!!

Hunter1909’s Official 2019-20 Death March™

That’s it!

125. Munny says:

The powerplay sure wasn’t a world-beater this pre-season.

Be nice if both special teams were kicking out the jams in the same season.

Nurse played 30 minutes last night. Might have something to do with the bad decision later in the game. I doubt hell get as much PP time with KBomb in the line-up, but Tippett’s got to calm that TOI down a bit.

Leavins has Nightguard ahead of Jurco, but neither in the top 6. I posted Gagner as 2LW higher in this thread, and although I’d personally rather see more speed there, all the palantirs and pensieves are pointing at (p)lucky Samwise in that slot.

126. Harpers Hair says:

JimmyV1965: If Reider scores 10 in Calgary I’d be thrilled. That means an awful lot has gone wrong for the Flames. I’m not sure he’s even on PP3 right now.

Reider is an elite penalty killer. That’s why the Flames signed him.
    Chiasson…not so much.

127. Slocanoil says:

hunter1909,
    Hunter,
    Oilers 83 points
    JP 13 goals

128. JimmyV1965 says:

Harpers Hair: Reider is an elite penalty killer. That’s why the Flames signed him.
    Chiasson…not so much.

129. Harpers Hair says:

JimmyV1965: I’m not sure he’s an elite penalty killer and even if he is, that ain’t helping him score goals. The only way Reider outscores Chiasson is if the latter gets hurt or completely craps the bed.

If Reider is killing penalties then someone else isn’t.
    It’s a thing.
    Also, Reider is making $700k against the cap.
    Chaisson is making $2.15 million.
    Advantage Flames.

130. Jethro Tull says:

Chiasson…not so much.

“Elite” penalty killer, eh? Got some proof of that, stud?

131. Harpers Hair says:

Jethro Tull: “Elite” penalty killer, eh? Got some proof of that, stud?

Got some proof that he isn’t?

132. Harpers Hair says:

Jethro Tull: “Elite” penalty killer, eh? Got some proof of that, stud?

And then there is this.

133. Munny says:

Jethro Tull: “Elite” penalty killer, eh? Got some proof of that, stud?

134. Scungilli Slushy says:

Anyone who lays blame ‘completely’ on players that have failed on the Oilers is IMO not a sharp student of history.

It should not be surprising or a reach of logic to assume players on a historically bad team don’t preform well.

Very few players in the NHL can do anything much beyond their TOI, usage and linemates. Almost all all complementary players.

If former Oilers that manage to remain in the league (so many get their careers killed) perform better than they did in Edmonton nobody should be surprised. Same as it always was. Also when they get payback against us as per usual.

135. Yeti says:

duct tape and foil: Nygard and Haas both are far superior skaters and have some offense and perhaps a future.

Nygard, yes. But Haas struggled to score in … Switzerland?!

136. Pouzar says:

Ryan Holt
    @CondorsHolty
    24s
    Condors, without a good chunk of Friday night’s lineup, going toe-to-toe with the Heat’s A squad.

Maksimov has four points (2g-2a) in five preseason periods.

137. drglen says:

Yeti,

he did score. but what caught my eye was the jump and pressure on the penalty kill. teams are ‘less comfortable’ when hes defending. better sticks on the cross seam pass too.

138. Yeti says:

drglen: They may send him down for a while, since they can and since he’s kind of OK’d that.. .. but I think the team is stronger with him in the lineup.

I’m happy if he’s in! But I just don’t think he’s got a history of putting up points even when playing big minutes in a far lesser league. Hopefully he surprises.

139. drglen says:

gotta be impressed with B manning’s “out of my control….. just going to try my best’… attitude. no chirping no whining no poor me… ..

it’s not easy to do and it’s not been a comfortable place he’s been put in, .. whatever happens credit to him for a certain strength of character he’s demonstrated… at least to me the external fan.

140. drglen says:

Yeti,

no I don’t see a lot of points either.

141. jp says:

Chiasson…not so much.

This isn’t a defensible statement. You’re usually much sharper than this.

142. yeraslob says:

Pouzar:
    Ryan Holt
    @CondorsHolty
    24s

Maksimov has four points (2g-2a) in five preseason periods.

Good deal! The more hapless the Flames farm team the better. Quite a thumping they took Friday night, lol.

143. Jethro Tull says:

Harpers Hair: Got some proof that he isn’t?

We’ll, you made the claim, so burden of proof is on you.

The Oilers had a once again brutal PK last season, WITH an supposedly elite penalty killer. Go figure. Maybe it wasn’t just him….

I’m going to go with that he isn’t that good without limited minutes and only PKing.

144. Yeti says:

drglen: but we might get some timely points… maybe 15 goals 40 points? Is that pushing it?

That would be amazing – but I doubt it’s possible.

145. Harpers Hair says:

Jethro Tull: We’ll, you made the claim, so burden of proof is on you.

One of 31 NHL coaches thinks he is.
    One of millions of arm chair quarterbacks think he isn’t.
    Golly…what to think?

146. Dr. Taboggan says:

Harpers Hair: And then there is this.

Oh well shit I guess he is an elite penalty killer! I mean “the coaches raved”! I am sold!

If only we had a player like that last season on our awful penalty kill. . . . oh wait. . . .

147. Glovjuice says:

HT Joe: The thing about Chia is that he was excellent at identifying holes, but then he would make a move to ensure that the Oilers would not have the flexibility or cap to fix those same holes.“This hole shall remain a hole long after I leave this team… mwa hahahaha”
    – Top 4 RHD?Sign LD Russel to play his off-side for 4 years
    – Goalie?Sign badly struggling Koskinen to long-term big ticket extension
    – 2nd Line LW?“Forget that, I’ll torpedo the entire LW lineup by trading away future MVP, while signing a seemingly untradeable toxic contract for a player who won’t appreciate having a young captain”

Chia was great at identifying the holes.He was so good in fact, that if I had to grade this ability, I would give him a solid “A”.And due to this ability, I will forever refer to him as… an A-hole.

Thank you for the props. Hyperbole to state one of the worst trades in zoilers history, but, at the time, certainly one of the stupidest. Just imagine having Strome on the team now. Literally ups the playoffs chances significantly in my mind. Well, notwithstanding the goal tending (oh, and the Koskinen signing is sueable worthy for seasons tickets holders for sure).

148. Dr. Taboggan says:

Harpers Hair: One of 31 NHL coaches thinks he is.
    One of millions of arm chair quarterbacks think he isn’t.
    Golly…what to think?

Yeah this is very true. Also, Reider is in elite condition, elite!

149. drglen says:

Dr. Taboggan,

I suppose it can happen ( player passed/waived by a couple clubs.. finally finds their game in 3rd or 4th club)… … and that’s how it’s looking with Kassian.

I don’t know what to think of our penalty kill last year, and I never played past pee wee… but it seems you have to pressure the passer, anticipate and maybe get stick on pass… don’t overcommit leaving an easy free guy in the danger zone ( if you can) … but… if a guy has a shot from long range that the goalie sees, you expect them to stop it , don’t you? Like, don’t you ‘give’ that shot to the opposition, because highest percentage says an NHL goalie stops a shot from long range that he sees. Our PK, nobody, nobody, trusted the goalie to stop that open long range shot, and that’s where it broke down. That’s my theory anyways.

Rieder has good wheels and can be a good pressure guy. He got into trouble because he was expected to score. He may well find a home as a ‘good’ penalty killer, and maybe that can be his specialty. But he’s not a scorer. He’ll get more than zero, but less than 12.

on that note, Lucic, he may even score 12 on the power play because they drop at his stick with the goalie out of position. But, I don’t think he can actually see the puck very well. I don’t think his eyes are right. Heard Bob suggest this on the radio… once and only once… then I wondered if he got his wrist slapped for saying that as kind of ‘inside’ injury news.

150. SVR says:

yeraslob: Good deal!The more hapless the Flames farm team the better.Quite a thumping they took Friday night, lol.

151. Harpers Hair says:

Dr. Taboggan: Yeah this is very true. Also, Reider is in elite condition, elite!

Okay.
    I submit.
    Chiasson is 3 times the player that Rider is based on cap hit.
    Phhhhhttttt.

152. jp says:

Munny: It was a line used in the broadcast of last night’s game… Gilbert Gottfried, I mean Loubardias, related that Peters thought of Rieder as an “elite penalty killer”.

This does make me feel better about Peters assessment of Neal last season.

153. drglen says:

Note to self…….. trades with the flames are looking good. They’re in a ‘buying’ mood.

Hmm. Maybe they’d be interested in our elite defensemen, manning for example… or our elite goaltender Koskinen.

154. Gerta Rauss says:

hunter1909,

83 points
    14 goals for Jesse

155. Munny says:

jp: This does make me feel better about Peters assessment of Neal last season.

Right?!

156. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss,

What did you take last year, Gerta? I’m thinking of flipping the glass over so it’s all the way empty…

157. drglen says:

Flames got a good one in Mangiapane though… Hope he sticks in the line up… good good player. didn’t do much last year but he was all over the place in our games with them.

158. Dr. Taboggan says:

Harpers Hair: Okay.
    I submit.
    Chiasson is 3 times the player that Rider is based on cap hit.
    Phhhhhttttt.

Righteous. Yes totally the point I was making earlier when I totally mentioned Chiasson and was like totally talking about how great he is especially in comparison to Reider!

159. Munny says:

SVR: Wait. They are through the second already and Maximov has 2 apples? Where’s OP with the up to the minute play by play?

Probably shoveling the snow off the sidewalk outside his 19th floor condo

160. Gerta Rauss says:

Munny,

I think I was 89 last year, with the thinking at the time that it would take 95 (ish) points to get in

I didn’t expect the Pacific to be as bad as it was last year

161. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss,

I was think I was somewhere around a 100. Maybe in the 90s, can’t remember. I won’t be going that high this year. How did they say it on SNL?

Lowered Expec-taaations…

Hopefully they keep doing the opposite of whatever I do.

162. Reja says:

Harpers Hair: One of 31 NHL coaches thinks he is.
    One of millions of arm chair quarterbacks think he isn’t.
    Golly…what to think?

Peters is pimping his tires that’s what coaches do grasshopper.

163. Harpers Hair says:

Reja: Petersis pimping his tires that’s what coaches do grasshopper.

Why would an NHL coach pimp a 4th line player?

164. Chaos Magician says:

Munny:
    Gerta Rauss,

I was think I was somewhere around a 100.Maybe in the 90s, can’t remember. I won’t be going that high this year.How did they say it on SNL?

Lowered Expec-taaations…

Hopefully they keep doing the opposite of whatever I do.

That sketch was from MadTV.

165. JimmyV1965 says:

Harpers Hair: If Reider is killing penalties then someone else isn’t.
    It’s a thing.
    Also, Reider is making $700k against the cap.
    Chaisson is making $2.15 million.
    Advantage Flames.

Your comment has nothing to do with the statement I responded to.

166. Harpers Hair says:

JimmyV1965: Your comment has nothing to do with the statement I responded to.

Your comment is is largely irrelevant .
    Why would I respond to it?

167. Gerta Rauss says:

Munny,

I’ve lowered my expectations every year for the last 5 or so, and the Oilers continue to crawl under the bar

168. pts2pndr says:

Munny,

Jurco and Neal seem to have nice chemistry ( small sample size ), but they would seem to make a ideal second line winger pairing. They have the size, offensive chops and Jurco improves the lines speed. I think they would work wether the centre was Nuge or Drai. Chaison or Gagne on the wing with Neal make it a slow train IMO.

169. Abbeef says:

Harpers Hair: Why would an NHL coach pimp a 4th line player?

This and won’t answer JimmyV. Convincing argument lol.

170. Reja says:

Harpers Hair: Why would an NHL coach pimp a 4th line player?

Peters is the reason the Lucic Neal trade happened Peters couldn’t stand Neal and I’m sure it was Mutual between Smith vs Talbot Neal vs Lucic Reider vs Chase Tippet vs Peters and Holland vs Treliving the battle of Alberta has finally got a bit of spice to it.

171. Munny says:

Chaos Magician: That sketch was from MadTV.

Yes, you’re right, my Alzheimer’s thanks you. Thank Gord it wasn’t In Living Color or I would’ve been really upset at forgetting.

172. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss: I’m not purchasing the NHL package this year for the first time in 13 or 14 years, I just don’t care as much as I used to

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully Holland can get the ship turned and back to sunnier skies and calmer seas for us all.

173. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Your comment is is largely irrelevant .
    Why would I respond to it?

This is actually quite brilliant.

174. Munny says:

pts2pndr,

I don’t disagree, but I’ve John Malkoviched Tippett’s head and that is what it says on the chalkboard.

175. JimmyV1965 says:

Harpers Hair: Your comment is is largely irrelevant .
    Why would I respond to it?

I have no idea why you responded to it. That’s something you have to sort out with yourself. I was going to explain why I think you’re confused, but meh.

176. GMB3 says:

Rieder is a better player and historically they score at similar rates

177. pts2pndr says:

Yeti: Nygard, yes. But Haas struggled to score in … Switzerland?!

178. Abbeef says:

GMB3: Rieder is a better player and historically they score at similar rates

Last year is part of his history. Just like Neal, hence the cautious optimism.

179. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair: One of 31 NHL coaches thinks he is.
    One of millions of arm chair quarterbacks think he isn’t.
    Golly…what to think?

I think you are on the wrong teams blog and you would be better served on a flames site but of course thats coming from an Oiler fan and armchair quarterback.

180. rickithebear says:

GMB3: Rieder is a better player and historically they score at similar rates

You just said Reider is a better player ( which means currently)
    than one of 12RW with 13 evg and 8 ppg
    And
    RW with 26 th highest goals 22.
    Last yr.

Reider has been
    10,12, 13,10, 0 evg last 5 yr.
    Last yr: one of our better pk fwds
    #135 of 186 fwd 8.1 pkga/60; PKU3 on teams

Holland wants double digit evg players.

It is his call.

181. JimmyV1965 says:

GMB3: Rieder is a better player and historically they score at similar rates

Rieder has avg 11.8 goals per 82 and Chiasson has avg. 14.6 per 82. Of course you can argue that those numbers are scewed by last season. Legit. But Rieder has to navigate his way through a lineup with many, many more legit wingers. Plus it’s hard to come back from 0 goals. I’m willing to put my wallet where my mouth is. I’ll bet a donation to something that Reider doesn’t score 10 goals this year. I’m not betting he will outscore Chiasson because I’ve acknowledged that Chiasson could crap the bed this year. Actually, my original argument was that if Rieder scores more than Chiasson it’s because something has went terribly wrong in Calgary. I’ll gladly lose the bet if that’s the case. Money well spent.

182. BG19 says:

Stockton defeat Bakersfield Condors 7 – 5

Iacobellis (2), Starrett, Safin, and Bouchard scored for Bakersfield.

Last goal was an Empty Net Goal.

183. JimmyV1965 says:

Also I never said Chiasson is the better player, but geez you have to be really, really good defensively to be a better player scoring zero goals.

184. Munny says:

Bianca goes down 0-2 to start the set, but despite plenty of ragged play wins the next six straight, including a love service break in the final game to take the first set.

185. Munny says:

Bianca goes from ragged to crap. Goes down two games again. Battles back to even again. DFs 6 times in the set, faces 12 break points too and cannot come back. Hits all of five winners.

6-2, 2-6

186. Munny says:

Nervous tennis for the past two sets, but she finally settles down in the 2nd game of the third set, and cruises through the third 6-1, with the help of some key unforced errors from Sasnovich. Served better too. So mentally strong, that girl.

BiBi now 15-3 in three-setters on the season. Stunning win percentage.

187. hunter1909 says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Munny,

What’s amazing is the fact you’ve been prepared to shell out for so long.

Oilers under Lowe+MacT then Katz are masters of what the fraud squad call “The Long Game” whereby fraudsters(lol) continually bleed their victims over an extended period of time, as opposed to the more mundane and technically less deceitful practice of simply pulling a gun on their victims and forcing them to empty their wallets.

I used to have this ancient uncle who used to go and watch the Montreal Canadiens dynasty in the 1950’s…he’d pay 5 bucks for a ticket but he told me one night as he was sitting there he happened to look around and saw a bunch of old women wearing threadbare coats(this is Montreal which gets horrible winters) essentially spending what he thought must have been welfare cheques to go and watch a bloody hockey game…he said he walked out of the Forum there and then and never returned. From that point on he referred to the Canadiens as “gangsters”…of course this was another era when men went to work to support families instead of today which promotes the incredible ideal which offers everyone the chance to be a “rock star”.

188. Yeti says:

pts2pndr: Haas is a right hand centre which the team lacks. It would appear he will fit quite well in a structured defensive role.

Oh yes, absolutely. I was simply noting that we should temper our expectations in terms of points. If they come, wonderful. But we shouldn’t really expect them based on his past.

New for The Athletic: The Oilers are poised to break a 25-year-old franchise record this season

190. frjohnk says:

Man, those 91 and 92 teams made the 3rd round

If they could have kept that team together, and met up against the Pens in the finals……

As for the possibility of breaking that record, I do think injuries will be the deciding factor. Get a bunch of injuries like in 15-16, then its a good possibility. But if we are as healthy as the last 3 years, then I think its unlikely.

Great writing at the Athletic. I never comment there, but you and the Edmonton gang do a fabulous job there. At work, during a slow time, I can rattle off a bunch of articles.

191. russ99 says:

Preseason caveat: We played mostly against B and C teams, so take any stats with a big grain of salt.

IMO: McDavid – Leon is coming back because running three centers is going to make goals harder to come by against NHL comp.