2019-20 Game Four: Oilers at Devils

Three games into the 2019-20 season and even the crusty are beginning to allow for the possibilities. Oh sure everything’s awful and we’re all going to die, but maybe this winter, this team, will keep the city of Edmonton and Oilers fans around the world hanging on through the deadline and into spring. Many miles to go, the possession numbers are not strong but the wins are groovy. Reminds me a little of 2008-09. Nice start.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, there is a Puck Drop Special offer here.

• New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘He’s addicted to getting better’: What the Oilers are saying about Connor McDavid’s amazing start
  • New Eric Duhatschek: The lasting impact of The Gretzky Effect, 40 years after his NHL debut
  • New Max Olson:There’s only one Chuba’: Oklahoma State’s star running back is Canada’s gift to college football
  • New Jonathan Willis: Oilers who could win (or lose) NHL jobs early in 2019-20
  • Lowetide: Several unproven players are earning NHL jobs and increasing roster quality and depth. No balance photo, but some traction early.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Why Riley Sheahan could be a key ingredient the Oilers have been missing
  • Jonathan Willis: Bet on James Neal rebounding with Oilers, just not all the way
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How Joel Persson went from being a part-time teacher three years ago to patrolling the Oilers blue line (this is exceptional).
  • Lowetide: Keeping an eye on Jesse Puljujarvi: Which teams could emerge as potential trade partners?
  • Lowetide: Kailer Yamamoto’s fast start in the AHL highlights an active week for Oilers prospects
  • Lowetide: A shift-by-shift analysis of Ethan Bear in the Oilers’ season opener
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Looking at how the Oilers can manage on defence without Adam Larsson
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: No need to temper expectations after Connor McDavid’s season debut for Oilers
  • Lowetide: Ken Holland has a plan for the Oilers’ top prospects.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: At home with Ken Holland: Packing away the championship memories and preparing for a new challenge
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Oscar Klefbom on being a mentor, his strategy for staying healthy and saying goodbye to a friend.
  • Daniel and Jon: Ten bold (and not so bold) predictions for the Oilers this season
  • Lowetide: The Oilers are poised to break a 25-year-old franchise record this season
  • Lowetide: Jay Woodcroft’s Bakersfield Condors might be bound for glory
  • Corey Pronman: Oilers No. 9 farm system.
  • Lowetide: Oilers top 20 prospects summer 2019.

OILERS IN OCTOBER

• Oilers in October 2015: 0-4-0, goal differential -8
  • Oilers in October 2016: 3-1-0, goal differential +2
  • Oilers in October 2017: 1-3-0, goal differential -6
  • Oilers in October 2018: 2-2-0, goal differential -4
  • Oilers in October 2019: 3-0-0, goal differential +5

This start resembles only one other since McDavid arrived in town, and it’s worth noting the teams who missed the playoffs (2015, 2017, 2018) were off the pace at the starting gate. In 2015 (70), 2017 (78) and 2018 (79) the cement dried very quickly. So too in 2016 (103) the die was cast early, but in the good direction. The Oilers good fortune to match 2016 so far this year.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM OCTOBER

• At home to: Vancouver, Los Angeles (Expected: 1-1-0) (Actual 2-0-0)
  • On the road to: NYI, NJD, NYR, CHI (Expected 2-1-1) Actual (1-0-0)
  • At home to: Philadelphia, Detroit (Expected 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Winnipeg, Minnesota (Expected 1-1-0)
  • At home to: Washington, Florida (Expected 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Detroit, Columbus (Expected 1-1-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-6-1, 15 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 3-0-0, 6 points after 3 games

When I was looking through these October games, the one thing that struck me was this road trip. The teams Edmonton is facing on this trip could be good (I marked New Jersey as being a better team this year) but there was some question about each of them. So, the Oilers play the Devils tonight and we’re not sure if they’ll win. I do think they’ll have a chance to win, and maybe that’s Dave Tippett’s presence. Oilers have cut way back on chaos/60 under the new coach, and the outlet passing has improved markedly. Three games can tell you some things, and the quick out effectiveness appears woven in the fabric.

OILERS WORRIES

Early days, but the trends on some of the Oilers numbers are not good through three games. We need 20, that’s my line in the sand your mileage may vary. Here are some interesting totals, we are always looking for 50 percent or better in possession, goals, etc. NST, all numbers five-on-five unless indicated:

• Corsi: 43.87
  • Fenwick: 43.82
  • Shot differential: 44.19
  • Goal differential: 56.25
  • Expected goals: 49.02
  • Scoring chance differential: 47.86
  • High danger scoring chance differential: 56.10
  • Shooting percentage: 15.79
  • Save percentage: 90.28
  • PDO: 106.1
  • Power Play: four goals in 20:57
  • Penalty Kill: one goal against in 17:54

BASEBALL

I have a Nationals story for you. Well, Expos, but close enough for jazz. It’s about a man named Matt Stairs, who could hit a ball to the sun but wasn’t really built for running. At the time of this story, he was a young Montreal Expos prospect. Many years ago–this would probably be 1990–my wife and I flew to Cancun for a winter vacation. Cancun is beautiful, and fun!

We were out in the sun too long one day and I burned my legs, but we were having fun and I didn’t notice. We headed out for a nice meal. It was an outdoor restaurant, and a cool breeze started rolling in during our dinner. At one point, I looked down and both of my legs were full of goose bumps the size of Chryslers.

By the time we get back to the hotel (Cancun Palace, nice joint) I’m in real pain. Painkillers from the front desk, a mountain of aloe vera and I’m praying I’m going to get some sleep.

I do not. It’s 3am, I can’t sleep. So, I turn on the television and am met by something called SUPER CADENA (Caribbean World Series) and damned if it isn’t Matt Stairs at the plate. I watched the entire game. Three hours of “turn it off” followed by “in a minute.” Stairs had a great game iirc, ripped a double and his side won the game. It took forever to play, but I remember that game pretty well considering pain, time of day and alcohol consumed. It was worth watching. I slept all the next day. She’s still with me.

ROUND TABLE

This morning on the Lowdown (10-11), I’m honored to have three smart guys with strong opinions return to the round table. We do this two or three times a year, and I wanted to wait just a little because there was a lot of roster vague at the end of September. Tyler Hupka, Darcy McLeod and Bruce McCurdy will bring strong opinions to TSN1260 for an hour. So, tune in, and we welcome your questions, in the comments section below or at 10-1260.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260, leading off with the round table. At 11, Frank Seravalli from TSN joins us to chat James Neal, Taylor Hall, the chances of going 4-0 and all of the unbeaten teams.

At 11:20, Andrew Peard and Corey Graham will join me. That’s 67 percent of the Oil Kings modern play-by-play history. The story of Corey’s difficult physical journey over the last few years is mostly known, but what isn’t known well is his desire to resume his career. It takes a special person to keep his eye on the goal through such difficult circumstances, and Corey is that person. On the other side, Andrew Peard’s career path is also part of the story. I’ve worked in radio for 40 years and things never work out as well as this one. Both men will share their thoughts with us this morning. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

552 Responses to "2019-20 Game Four: Oilers at Devils"

Newer Comments »
  1. Andy Dufresne says:

Expos Win! Expos Win! Expos Win!

Party like its 1981 Baby!

2. Andy Dufresne says:

“Oh sure everything’s awful and we’re all going to die”

FUN FACT:

This was the Motto Placard hung above the Oilers dressing room door for the last 15 yrs. The players would reach up and tap it on thier way out onto the ice.

3. Brantford Boy says:

Well its obvious by the numbers, it’s the PDO!

I’ll say it again, it’s the PDO man! Sorry, I don’t get to use PDO in a sentence very often. Vagina!

Go Oilers!

4. Jethro Tull says:

Chaos/60 is my new go to stat.

What’s the theory behind it? McDavid,……uh…..finds a way.

5. Darth Tu says:

snfu:

From the Flames fans that I work with re: Lucic:

“He makes us so much tougher to play against”

“Now people won’t try to bully Tkachuk” (this wasn’t said with any hint of irony that I could detect)

“He’s got great leadership skills”

Now I have nothing against Lucic, I really wanted him to succeed here in Edmonton, but come on! After 3 years of the same Flames fan making fun of how bad the OIlers were with Lucic he’s now using the “great leadership” and “toughness” chat that Stauffer et al tried to push on us to justify the Flames “winning the trade”?

Bonus comment on James Neil:

“His poor defensive work will cost you more goals than he scores for you”.

6. Andy Dufresne says:

” I do think they’ll have a chance to win, and maybe that’s Dave Tippett’s presence. ”

Ive said it before, I think that one of the most significant things that will change under Dave Tippetts tenure will be that we no longer take teams/games for granted; We no longer fall prey to the “trap” games where we perceive our competition to be somehow lesser than us.We will be playing every game with a level of consistency of effort that marks a Tippett coached team.

Doesnt mean we’ll win them all… but we’ll be in them all.

The Oilers are finally going to realize that they are not measured by the best team they can beat, but by the worst team they lose to.

7. snfu says:

Darth Tu: From the Flames fans that I work with re: Lucic:

“He makes us so much tougher to play against”

“He’s got great leadership skills”

Bonus comment on James Neil:

“His poor defensive work will cost you more goals than he scores for you”.

8. Andy Dufresne says:

Brantford Boy:
    Well its obvious by the numbers, it’s the PDO!

I’ll say it again, it’s the PDO man!Sorry, I don’t get to use PDO in a sentence very often. Vagina!

Go Oilers!

Thats a bit vulger…..No it taint.

9. Andy Dufresne says:

Brantford Boy:
    Well its obvious by the numbers, it’s the PDO!

Go Oilers!

Agreed. Pretty Damn Outstanding !

10. Reja says:

snfu: QFT and I did not believe this argument until today. When I spoke to a Flames fan. Who immediately gave me all the stats on Lucic’s fits and penalty’s and no mention of their record…

It’s already a distraction for the players having to defend the trade and the intangibles that Lucic brings.

11. Pouzar says:

The PDHo is on our side for once!

Embrace it!

12. Andy Dufresne says:

“Three hours of “turn it off” followed by “in a minute.” …..” I slept all the next day…. She’s still with me.”

Freaking Awesome. 🙂

A gift really.

Your Dad might have called it “the gift of gab”…… amaright?

And when he heard your Sunburn Super Cadena story, he would have added….”Try using your head as more than a hat rack”…..and, “that woman deserves an intellegent, sophistcated, hard working husband…..so hurry up and marry her before she finds one!” 🙂

13. Darth Tu says:

Anyhoo – I wish Lucic well, I liked his game when he was in Boston, even thought he was decent in LA, and really cheered for him here – despite the obvious drop off in abilities. Maybe I’m wrong and by the end of the season the Flames have won the Cup and can thank Lucic for being the difference maker.

I don’t see it though.

14. Reja says:

Darth Tu: From the Flames fans that I work with re: Lucic:

“He makes us so much tougher to play against”

“He’s got great leadership skills”

Bonus comment on James Neil:

“His poor defensive work will cost you more goals than he scores for you”.

Teams might go after Tkachuk even more trying to get a rise out of Lucic draw a penalty. The NHL is a very unforgiving league I think the Flames Vegas games with Reeves will be interesting to watch.

15. Nit64 says:

Looking at the injury report it appears New Jersey is actually icing last October’s Oilers. Pretty sure that Tippet’s team will roll over the Todd Squad.

NHL.com Injury Report Oct 10, 2019: (h/t Ryan)

Devils – Andrej Sekera (knee) is out; Drake Caggiula (undisclosed) is out; Leon Draisaitl (eye/concussion-like symptoms) is out

Oilers – Alex Chiasson (illness) is day-to-day; Josh Archibald (illness) is on IR; Adam Larsson (fractured right fibula) is on IR.

NHL.com Injury Report Oct 17, 2018

OILERS – Andrej Sekera (knee) is out; Drake Caggiula (undisclosed) is out; Leon Draisaitl (eye/concussion-like symptoms) is out

HURRICANES – Lee Stempniak (hip) is on IR; Trevor van Riemsdyk (concussion) is on IR

16. ArmchairGM says:

Neal on McDavid: “He’s a great player. He’s a great person. He’s a great captain. He’s been fun to be around. He wants to win.”

Do I detect a slight dig at Lucic?

17. Andy Dufresne says:

ArmchairGM:

Do I detect a slight dig at Lucic?

Depends which wolf you’re feeding.

18. Andy Dufresne says:

Darth Tu: Anyhoo – I wish Lucic well, I liked his game when he was in Boston, even thought he was decent in LA, and really cheered for him here – despite the obvious drop off in abilities.

#FeedtheGoodWolf

19. Reja says:

ArmchairGM:

Do I detect a slight dig at Lucic?

With the new players coach and the Lucic trade I think a black cloud has been lifted off of Connor and the rest of the remaining players from last year.

20. Pouzar says:

Enjoy the sand Todd.

“Some of the players that I think we’ve counted on, or we need to count on, have to play a lot better or they don’t belong in the League,” McLellan said after the game, his third as Kings head coach.

21. Nit64 says:

“Reminds me a little of 2008-09. Nice start.”

For those that weren’t around: their record at the end of October with 4-4-1 after a 4 win start. Also slumped out of playoff position the last 11 games of season.

22. Andy Dufresne says:

Question for the Roundtable.

How should the goalies be utilized? AND WHY?

Some algorithm like:

History vs certain teams plus,
    Home vs Road records plus,
    Smith against strong forechecking? plus,
    etc

OR

Win and your in ( ride the hot goalie ) with the exception of back to backs

23. gogliano says:

Winnable game tonight in NJ. NJ is on second half of back to back and they don’t have the depth to exploit EDM’s lack of same.

Blackwood with a shutout?

24. Buddy says:

Andy Dufresne:
    “Oh sure everything’s awful and we’re all going to die”

FUN FACT:

Is that the one Dallas Eakins took down when he was changing the culture of the team, or the one he put up? I can never remember.

25. Reja says:

ArmchairGM:

Do I detect a slight dig at Lucic?

3 for 1. Peters, Treliving and Loooch.

26. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Interesting thread by @Waltlaw69 on scoring duos in the NHL:

I think Walt posts/posted here but not sure what his SN is/was.

27. Andy Dufresne says:

Buddy: Is that the one Dallas Eakins took down when he was changing the culture of the team, or it the one he put up? I can never remember.

You are absolutely correct. Well Done!

The full rendition was actually (and very few people know this) :

“Oh sure everything’s awful and we’re all going to die; But not Today! Today we Carry Wood and Chop Water!”

28. Reja says:

gogliano:
    Winnable game tonight in NJ.NJ is on second half of back to back and they don’t have the depth to exploit EDM’s lack of same.

Blackwood with a shutout?

Blackwood is going to be taken to the woodshed tonight.

29. McNuge93 says:

Andy Dufresne:
    Question for the Roundtable.

How should the goalies be utilized?AND WHY?

Some algorithm like:

History vs certain teams plus,
    Home vs Road records plus,
    Smith against strong forechecking? plus,
    etc

OR

Win and your in ( ride the hot goalie ) with the exception of back to backs

30. dustrock says:

I bet heavily on the Devils this year in my pool and so far they have flattered to deceive.

I can’t lose tonight, either the Oilers win and I’m satisfied, or the Devils win and it helps me in the pool.

Of course, it will probably be a 2-0 loss with no points from any of my players, because

31. Fraktal says:

McNuge93,

I think that it might be best to have the starter determined ahead of time so that they can each mentally prepare and not have additional pressure of ‘needing’ to win so that they get play time. Riding a goalie’s hot streak can just lead to greater fatigue and lead to more ‘bad games’ (my theory, no evidence to back this up). If the starter schedule is set, then switching goalies after a win won’t be seen as a negative light, and gives both older goalies a chance to rest more regularly.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Looks like Tyler Vesel is off to play for IF Björklöven in Sweden.

I’m wondering if this is really opening up a bit of room knowing Colby Cave is likely on his way?

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Something that hasn’t really been talked about regarding the Condors is that, through the first two games, Yamamoto, in addition to being elite at evens, is the first PK guy out there and Maksimov/McLeod are a pair on the PK team.

Great stuff developing these guys and their overall games.

Lagesson will be returning to the lineup for their game this Sunday and he’ll be paired with Bouchard.

34. McNuge93 says:

Fraktal:
    McNuge93,

I think that it might be best to have the starter determined ahead of time so that they can each mentally prepare and not have additional pressure of ‘needing’ to win so that they get play time.Riding a goalie’s hot streak can just lead to greater fatigue and lead to more ‘bad games’ (my theory, no evidence to back this up).If the starter schedule is set, then switching goalies after a win won’t be seen as a negative light, and gives both older goalies a chance to rest more regularly.

35. Andy Dufresne says:

Alternative Question for the Roundtable:

Have you noticed anything SPECIFIC about Tippetts methodlogies or systems that differ from Hitch or TMac?

36. dustrock says:

OriginalPouzar:

Great stuff developing these guys and their overall games.

Holy doodle it’s been a long time between Condors games. Must be frustrating for the players.

37. Andy Dufresne says:

OriginalPouzar:

Great stuff developing these guys and their overall games.

Thank You for the Condors updates. And keep em comin all season please! 🙂

38. OriginalPouzar says:

– on a three game winning streak

– playing a team on the back end of back to backs

– playing a team struggling at both ends of the night

– likely seeing the back-up goalie who has been lit up in two starts this year

TRAP GAME!

In the past the Oilers have fallen through many trap doors – will this year’s team be different?

I think coach T has a way of closing the trap door but we’ll see.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

If coach wants both Archie and Chiasson in the lineup (assuming both healthy), in addition to the obvious removal of Granlund, I wonder if Nygard is the other guy?

I just don’t see him taking out Russell after last game – Russell led to team in PK minutes.

40. Pouzar says:

– on a three game winning streak

– playing a team on the back end of back to backs

– playing a team struggling at both ends of the night

– likely seeing the back-up goalie who has been lit up in two starts this year

TRAP GAME!

I think coach T has a way of closing the trap door but we’ll see.

Hyphens are trademarked here. You are a lawyer. You know this!

41. Reja says:

McNuge93: It will be interesting to see who starts tonight. Probably should be Koski as he played well last game, although not a lot of shots.

I have a feeling it’ll be Smith.

42. zacoilers says:

Andy Dufresne,

I was a huge Expos fan and 1994 ruined me for years. I’m glad I decided to follow the Nats
    once they moved. They’ve come with the requisite amount of heartache my teams tend to offer up ala Oilers, but that comeback last night did to assuage this dark times. Tears of joy taste twice as sweet!

43. ArmchairGM says:

McNuge93: I would do modified win and your in. Maximum 3 games in a row, and as you say no back to backs. Win, but let in two softies in the win then switch next game. With Smith’s age I wouldn’t want to overwork him, and we saw that Koski was way overworked late last year.

Yeah, as long as both goalies are getting similar results they need to find a way to get each guy 40-ish starts this season, evenly spread out.

44. Pouzar says:

LT,

Question: Are the guys in studio? If so, is the table actually round?

45. OriginalPouzar says:

Lines for the #NJDevils –
    (via
    @DailyFaceoff

Forwards:
    Hall – Hischier – Gusev
    Bratt – Zajac – Palmieri
    Coleman – Hughes – Simmonds
    Wood – Rooney – Hayden

Defense:
    Vatanen – Subban
    Greene – Severson
    Butcher – Carrick

46. Dr. Taboggan says:

Devils rocking the class RD-RD pairing.

47. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Andy Dufresne:
    Alternative Question for the Roundtable:

Breakouts not just up the sides and off the glass
    Puck support /working as 5 man unit
    Short quick passing
    Will report more after the next two games but their passing and transition game is sooo much better so far, then what we have been seeing in the past 5 years or so…
    Also, Better players 😜

Saw some puck support with Hitch for the first few games then it deteriorated back to WTF TMac was trying to do here…

48. Andy Dufresne says:

– on a three game winning streak

– playing a team on the back end of back to backs

– playing a team struggling at both ends of the night

– likely seeing the back-up goalie who has been lit up in two starts this year

TRAP GAME!

I think coach T has a way of closing the trap door but we’ll see.

This is the most interesting part of tonights game for me.

49. Pouzar says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: Breakouts not just up the sides and off the glass

50. Andy Dufresne says:

ALTERNATIVE QUESTION FOR THE ROUNDTABLE

Is there anything you’re seeing that leads you to believe that TIppett is an Analytics guy?

51. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Pouzar: Well that’s the goal. They are nowhere close. That will help the 5v5 numbers when it does happen.

Yes, but seem to be getting closer. Ideally you want several options for breakouts. The past 5 years I have only seen 1.

Edit: reporting from atop a hop-on hop-off with the parental units here in NYC. Gridlock…honks/60 are off the charts😊

52. Yeti says:

OriginalPouzar: Nygard was fine last game but not great and, frankly, he plays a fairly physical game and I think his body takes a beating for his size – the odd game off in this new “bigger league” may be beneficial to a game like him.

Agreed. He’s not likely to play throughout the 82 game season with this intensity, so giving him some rest and cycling the bottom 6 a little makes good sense.

53. McSorley33 says:

The problem I have with Patrick Russell is he works his tail off and he is pretty darn good along the wall.

3 years in our farm system and he plays like he is uber hungry to stay in the NHL

Makes $700k

In short, given the cap world, not a bad 4th line winger imo.

In contrast, Granlund

54. LadiesloveSmid says:

Without a shadow of a doubt, Jack Hughes will score his first NHL point(s) tonight. It’s just the oiler way. Hall will also score. He’s got Bear-Persson-Benning to face on the right side.

55. Pouzar says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: I have only seen 1.

56. Andy Dufresne says:

ALTERNATE QUESTION FOR ROUNDTABLE:

3C/4C BRIAN BOYLE ? One Year. League Minimum.

57. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t think the Oilers are having a morning skate today which may possible mean no pre-game presser to let us know goaltending and lineup decisions.

I’m sure that info will come out somehow during the day though.

58. Jethro Tull says:

Lines for the #NJDevils –
    (via
    @DailyFaceoff

Forwards:
    Hall – Hischier – Gusev
    Bratt – Zajac – Palmieri
    Coleman – Hughes – Simmonds
    Wood – Rooney – Hayden

Defense:
    Vatanen – Subban
    Greene – Severson
    Butcher – Carrick

I remember what Connor did to Vatanen in the playoffs. Yummy yummy.

59. Jethro Tull says:

Andy Dufresne:
    ALTERNATE QUESTION FOR ROUNDTABLE:

3C BRIAN BOYLE ? One Year

If Ken’s bets weren’t panning out, I’d say yes.

60. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t think the Oilers are having a morning skate today

61. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Pouzar: I want to see more use of the middle to breakout. They have shied away from that in the regular season.

Totally agree on what we want to see!

62. Jethro Tull says:

I’d prefer it if it’s in the toolbox.

The problem with the “up the boards” or any play, is not using it when it’s required. It’s not a bad play, used correctly and without panic. Same with up the middle. If the opposition is starting to close down those center lanes, switch it up. Keep them guessing.

63. jp says:

Darth Tu: Yup, another comment that followed was: “Neil might have 6 goals, but Lucic has the most PIMs this season”.

– Wow. But they’re still in the denial stage, it’s understandable. You get to watch the progression.

– Funny to think if Holland had written in to the conditions: “Flames get a 3rd if Neal scores 21+ goals, and 10 more than Lucic. Unless Lucic is top 5 in PIM”.

– I can’t check the actual games because you need to sign in to the nhl.com site now? And the Oilers site (nhl.com/oilers)?? What the actual fuck? I’ll have to, but that’s bs…

64. Jethro Tull says:

Pouzar: That is strange considering they’ve been in the area for a few days and they didn’t practice yesterday.

They’ve all agreed to score four goals each tonight.

65. McSorley33 says:

I am not pointing this out to say the Oilers “shoulda” …I am just fascinated with this
    Heinola kid because I live in Winnipeg.

My “shoulda” will occur when Trevor Zegras starts playing.

Even the Jets broadcasters say he was considered a good skater. Good shot. There is
    nothing flashy about his raw skills. Except maybe his brain and passing.

Jack Hughes – 0 goals
    Kappo Kakko – 0 goals
    Ville Heinola – 1 goal

From Jacob Trouba ( 7th Defenceman taken in the 2012 draft )
    To Josh Morrissey ( 5th Defenceman taken in the 2013 draft )
    To Ville Heinola ( 8th Defenceman taken in the 2019 draft )

The Winnipeg Jets are really, really, lucky or they have some scouts that can really
    identify D prospects.

expose his tiny frame. Jets play their hated rivals from Minnesota tonight so we will see how he does there.

66. jtblack says:

Any word on the Starter yet?

67. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Jethro Tull: I’d prefer it if it’s in the toolbox.

Exactly!

68. McSorley33 says:

Andy Dufresne,

Pass on Boyle – turns 35 and is really, really slow.

Had a great career though.

69. Jethro Tull says:

Lol LT on his show: If Morrissey contact is available, what time is now?

70. Shane says:

Jethro Tull: I remember what Connor did to Vatanen in the playoffs. Yummy yummy.

I really miss that shade of blue on the orange jerseys…

EDIT: oh yea, playoffs were cool too!

71. Darth Tu says:

Jethro Tull:
    Lol LT on his show: If Morrissey contact is available, what time is now?

That’s gold. I mean, we already have Smith(s)….

72. Andy Dufresne says:

Really Good Rountable today. Top Drawer.

73. Reja says:

Tippett giving the gang some extra rest (Reward) after the big win in Long Island

74. Pouzar says:

Andy Dufresne:
    Really Good Rountable today. Top Drawer.

Yaremchuk is not our GM. Praise the Gord.

75. Pouzar says:

Reja: Tippett giving the gang some extra rest (Reward) afterthe bigwin in Long Island

76. Ben says:

All Treliving did was to go out and acquire three of the players most responsible for the Oilers’ failure last year *on purpose*. It absolutely boggles.

Love that Athletic demographics piece: the Oilers are pretty much the pre-1942 Allies with a major defector thrown in.

77. Ben says:

McSorley33: Heinola has not really played a physical team yet and maybe playing some Western teams may
    expose his tiny frame.

You can’t see hits from Heinola?

78. PinkSocks says:

Andy Dufresne:
    ALTERNATIVE QUESTION FOR THE ROUNDTABLE

Yes, he mentioned in the preseason golf presser that he had looked at the analytics with 29 & 97 on the ice together vs. off the ice and what happens when they are both off.

79. Munny says:

Ben: You can’t see hits from Heinola?

80. Dr. Taboggan says:

Ben,

I still cannot wrap my head around the Lucic trade. Even worse, Vancouver was also interested. Two divisional GMs who saw Lucic play 4+ times last season thought “that is what my team needs”. What the hell.

81. Munny says:

Dr. Taboggan,

Looch is probably better than Loui. That’s likely why Van was interested.

82. Dr. Taboggan says:

Munny,

Maybe. But the contract is a year shorter.

83. Dr. Taboggan says:

Dr. Taboggan,

Also a better buyout.

84. ArmchairGM says:

jp: – Over/Under on ceding that 3rd round pick to Calgary by Christmas? I’ll take the under. 15 more goals in 35?? games.

The Oilers will have played 40 games by Christmas break.

85. OilClog says:

What’s Holland got to move to bring Hall back?

Young rebuilding team.. 3 for 1..

Pool, Jones, 1sts?

Make it right Mr. Holland.

86. Reja says:

Dr. Taboggan:
    Ben,

We have Washington and more importantly St.Loooch to thank.

87. McSorley33 says:

Ben,

You can’t see hits from Heinola?
    ************************************************
    I am not sure I follow….

88. jtblack says:

Pouzar: Full disclosure: I think the “morning skate” is the most antiquated custom in pro sports. Fire it to the sun.

pretty sure some teams have abandoned it altogether …

89. Younger Oil says:

I wonder if Wood being on the 4th line being paid $2.75M per year for the next three years would mean he is available for a trade. I’ve always liked him when I’ve seen him, and I think he’d be a great 3rd liner (even 2nd with our depth) on the Oilers.

Wonder what the asking price would be, if they’re looking to move an expensive 4th liner with term. Gagner (similar money, less term) and a middling prospect?

90. McNuge93 says:

McSorley33:
    Andy Dufresne,

Pass on Boyle – turns 35 and is really, really slow.

Had a great career though.

Agree. We are close to the 50 man limit and that would limit us. But mainly, the verbal early on is how quick the Oilers look and his lack of speed would be a step back.

91. OilersFuture says:

10 Lucic Stats
    1. 0 – Even Strength Shots –
    2. 9:50 – ESTOI/G- (10th among Flames forwards)
    3. 1:56 PPTOI/G-
    4. 2 – Team Power Play Shots For
    5. 2 – Team Power Play Shots Against
    6. 1 – Lucic Power Play Shots For
    7. 0 – Penalties Drawn
    8. 10 – Hits He’s on pace for 277. This would be his highest career total. That number will regress. He’s typically around 200.
    9. 26 PIM He’s on pace for 710. He’s not going to break Schultz’s record.
    10. 0 – Goals scored while Lucic is on the ice. He’s a negative CF% (45.5), positive FF% (52.50), positive SF% (55.56), negative SCF% (45.83) negative HDCF% (33.33)

HIs ESTOI is 2 minutes less than last year.

Lucic’s hitting and fighting are going to regress. His body will get worn down and that will likely make him an even more ineffective player than he already is.

Given last years rates and his decrease in ice time I’d estimate that Lucic will get roughly 55 even strength shots this year.

If the second power play keeps giving up as many shots as it takes than he’s not going to be on the power play for very long. They should have more and also it’s not like they had a pile of shot attempts blocked. They had 3 Corgi’s during the Lucic PP time. Yes I know it’s early & he’s not the only player on the PP, but this just in that’s not good!

Right now he’s a 4th line player and not a particularly good one. He’s Ben Eager and they’re paying him a lot of money to be Ben Eager …

92. Jethro Tull says:

OilersFuture,

Good post. They paid Ben Eager a lot of money to be Ben Eager.

93. Pouzar says:

jtblack: pretty sure some teams have abandoned it altogether …

I believe the Jackets are one. Not aware of any others.

94. ashley says:

Andy Dufresne:

Doesnt mean we’ll win them all… but we’ll be in them all.

This is a good post. I’m hoping this is the case tonight.

95. OriginalPouzar says:

“Goals are easy to measure but the intangibles that Lucic brings, according to his teammates, are just as valuable” – Jermain Franklin – TSN

So, intangibles = goals – got it!

96. PinkSocks says:

Younger Oil:

I doubt he is available. 24 years old, 19 goals 2 years ago 10 last year in 63 games. IF he is available, Gagner + Puljujarvi would be a nice deal.

97. ashley says:

Hemsky would approve.

#bad morning skate body language
    #Last on, first off

98. OriginalPouzar says:

Thinking out loud – Cave wasn’t placed on waiver and moved to non-roster so I’m guessing Archie isn’t being activated for tonight.

99. Side says:

OriginalPouzar:

So, intangibles = goals – got it!

Lucic has a dream job right now. Getting paid lots of money to be loved and respected by his peers and fans while being pretty terrible at his job and no matter how terrible he already is or becomes, the team is stuck with him and he will still get paid no matter what. Oh and he has already won a Stanley Cup.

100. Reja says:

Side: Lucic has a dream job right now. Getting paid lots of money to be loved and respected by his peers and fans while being pretty terrible at his job and no matter how terrible he already is or becomes, the team is stuck with him and he will still get paid no matter what.Oh and he has already won a Stanley Cup.

It could get messy after the honeymoon is over the Flames better hope for LTIR.

101. Reja says:

Somebody please tell me who the starter is?

102. npanciroli says:

Vatanen on his offside on the top pair oh boy.

103. LadiesloveSmid says:

OilClog:
    What’s Holland got to move to bring Hall back?

Young rebuilding team.. 3 for 1..

Pool, Jones, 1sts?

Make it right Mr. Holland.

They’ve gotta beat down NJ tonight so Hall doesn’t want to re-sign.

Remember when they played a decimated NJ lineup in March and lost 6-3? Was a stretch they needed to go like 12-3 and they lost to an NJ team missing Hall, Hischier, Bratt, Vatanen and Zacha.

104. Profit says:

Andy Dufresne,

Ok which of you guys is Matty:

Jim Matheson
    @NHLbyMatty
    1h
    Oilers in NJ tonight looks like a “trap game” to me. One team riding high and rightfully so vs another that played last night and is giving up too many goals

105. JimmyV1965 says:

McSorley33: Heinola

There’s only one reason they’re playing Heinola and I think you know why. If he was drafted last year, there’s no way he makes that 2018 team.

106. Reja says:

I love how Tippett is tight lipped with the Starter in net with Smith’s puck handling abilities it is a thing for opposition strategy.

107. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:

So, intangibles = goals – got it!

Just wow.

108. Durag says:

OriginalPouzar:

So, intangibles = goals – got it!

What do you think they should name the trophy for the most intangibles?

109. Fraktal says:

Durag,

Obviously, it’s the Milan Lucic Trophy.

Edit: Make that the Milan Lucic Trophy for Gritensity and Intangibleness.

110. Reja says:

Durag: What do you think they should name the trophy for the most intangibles?

It’s not a Trophy it’s a Ribbon.

111. Side says:

Reja: e

It’s a seat that goes at the head of a table of the recipient’s choice.

112. Ice Sage says:

This is where the Oilers of yore would serve up a turkey *grits teeth*

113. Durag says:

Ice Sage:
    This is where the Oilers of yore would serve up a turkey *grits teeth*

Or take a good stuffing

114. dustrock says:

Guys, I too am all up in the schadenfreude about the Neal/Looch trade, but are you really that surprised that Looch’s teammates and team mouthpieces are going to say things in support of him?

What are the Flames going to say? “This was a terrible idea, who approved it?””

Many Flames fans said exactly that at the time of the trade; however, sports fans are no strangers to cognitive dissonance, and they’ve had weeks to get used to the idea and rationalize some positive aspects to the trade.

115. ArmchairGM says:

Younger Oil:

I had Wood pegged for a James Neal trade next summer, provided Neal was able to score 18-20 goals and recover some of his value. NJ seemed to be a great target especially if Simmonds doesn’t work out for them and they decide not to re-sign him… at the moment, though, it looks as if Myles Wood isn’t nearly enough of a return.

We’ll see how the season goes.

116. OriginalPouzar says:

Would have love Archie in for Granlund but that’s OK, these 12 forwards played a hell of a game on Tuesday night.

117. Durag says:

dustrock,

It’s not the Flames players saying it that’s so hilarious, it’s the media. When a writer for the national rightsholder says “actually leading the league in PIM is exactly as good as leading the league in goals” it’s noteworthy.

118. Pouzar says:

dustrock:

What are the Flames going to say?“This was a terrible idea, who approved it?””

I was referring to the media. Francis and Franklin…Over. The. Top.

119. OriginalPouzar says:

As of now, 2:30 mountain, the Devils are the only NHL team Connor McDavid hasn’t scored a goal against. I anticipate that will not be the same at 8 mountain this evening.

120. Pouzar says:

Durag:
    dustrock,

or what he said.

121. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock: Holy doodle it’s been a long time between Condors games.Must be frustrating for the players.

The players were split by position (including center and wings) and they were working on specific skills.

I really liked hearing that.

122. OriginalPouzar says:

AndyDufresne: Thank You for the Condors updates. And keep em comin all season please!

Welcome and, absolutely, I love doing them.

With that said, I’ll miss their next game completely on Sunday afternoon.

123. ArmchairGM says:

OilClog:
    What’s Holland got to move to bring Hall back?

Young rebuilding team.. 3 for 1..

Pool, Jones, 1sts?

Make it right Mr. Holland.

Not a fan.

124. McSorley33 says:

Ben,

Well played…

125. maudite says:

I think even bigger factor is that Holland was hired as GM. Early but:
    1. hired tippet (who may not have came anywhere near this place without him being GM)
    2. With limited cap available, found options -> like it’s not perfect but there are pieces you can sub in and out all over. That’s impressive (depth). People were complaining about it but with limited space, he found options. They aren’t perfect but there is depth that for most part can skate.

Andy Dufresne:

Doesnt mean we’ll win them all… but we’ll be in them all.

126. McSorley33 says:

Durag,

What do you think they should name the trophy for the most intangibles?
    *************************************************************************************
    The Milan Lucic award.

127. OriginalPouzar says:

Due to Tippett knowing Smith and not pulling him after the first on Saturday, there is no wrong answer on the starting tender tonight. Both should be fully confident and both relatively rested and not rusty.

128. OriginalPouzar says:

AndyDufresne:
    ALTERNATIVE QUESTION FOR THE ROUNDTABLE

The fact that immediately after last game, during his presser, he mentioned Neal’s 12 attempts towards the net an not his 8 shots on goal.

129. dustrock says:

Durag:
    dustrock,

Is it? Francis has been idiotic for years so I just expect stuff like that.

Sports broadcast journalists have become such obvious homers in the last decade it’s absolutely insane.

You get guys like Frank Isola in NY banned from MSG because he pissed off James Dolan, you get any actual journalists banned from the Redskins and Snyder just uses the Redskins media people as the de facto journalists.

I get it, you want access to the team, you want to be seen as supportive, but it sure makes for dumb shit like the logic pretzels Francis and Calgary fans are giving us for Lucic.

130. Material Elvis says:

ArmchairGM: Not a fan.

Not a fan of Hall or the acquisition cost and future contract?

131. OriginalPouzar says:

AndyDufresne:
    ALTERNATE QUESTION FOR ROUNDTABLE:

3C/4C BRIAN BOYLE ? One Year. League Minimum.

No thank you – Your beloved coach wants speed in the bottom 6.

132. OriginalPouzar says:

They had a full practice yesterday – everyone except Neal (according to coach, 4G games earn a player a day off).

133. JARRI'S REVENGE says:

Andy Dufresne:

Doesnt mean we’ll win them all… but we’ll be in them all.

I hope it’s more than “not taking other teams for granted” or “perception of opponents”. I hope it’s actual game planning to target a specific opponents strengths (nullify) and weaknesses (exploit).

Other teams target gameplan for Connor. I never hear about the Oilers gameplanning for Gaudreau or Hall, slow or small defensemen, players with “temper problems” etc.

I’m sure we’ve done some of this but it doesn’t to be as prominent as “play Connor as much as possible while keeping him away from his shadow”. In the 80’s, even though we had Gretzky, we would have Tikannen shadow the other team’s stars. The 2006 SCF team gameplanned to perfection until they ran into a team with no stars 🙂

If we gameplan to be “the hunter”, not “the hunted”, I think the perception and focus of the opponents will take care of itself.

134. OriginalPouzar says:

If there are no updates on line rushes or post morning skater coach avail, what the heck am i going to refresh twitter for all morning?????????

135. OilersFuture says:

OriginalPouzar:

So, intangibles = goals – got it!

Lucic’s intengibles/60 is elite!

136. OriginalPouzar says:

OilClog:
    What’s Holland got to move to bring Hall back?

Young rebuilding team.. 3 for 1..

Pool, Jones, 1sts?

Make it right Mr. Holland.

My goodness, no thank you.

Assets for one year of Hall and then a massive contract with term for the declining 30s of a player that likely has an “old body”.

No, thank you.

137. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Due to Tippett knowing Smith and not pulling him after the first on Saturday, there is no wrong answer on the starting tender tonight.Both should be fully confident and both relatively rested and not rusty.

I would be shocked if Tippett didn’t go with his boy Smith tonight.

138. ArmchairGM says:

Material Elvis: Not a fan of Hall or the acquisition cost and future contract?

The acquisition cost and future contract.

139. Ryan says:

Andy Dufresne:
    ALTERNATIVE QUESTION FOR THE ROUNDTABLE

I’m going to frame this quote.

“We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of (Ricki box) defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can’t move the puck.

“Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn’t defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he’s making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he’s only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman.”

Hence Russell on the third pairing / top pk unit and the Bear / Persson playing more 5v5 minutes.

I love that Tippett gets that it’s the transition game that matters in today’s NHL.

140. Durag says:

Reja: I would be shocked if Tippett didn’t go with his boy Smith tonight.

PREPARE TO BE SHOCKED

Edmonton Oilers liked

Jack Michaels

Verified account

@EdmontonJack
    8m8 minutes ago
    Same exact lineup at NJ, including Koskinen in net.

141. dessert1111 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Looks like Tyler Vesel is off to play for IF Björklöven in Sweden.

142. OriginalPouzar says:

I’d feel more comfortable with Smith but Koski it is.

A bit surprised but – lets go Mikko!

143. Ribs says:

Neal actually took the day off??? Haha, what a goof. I wonder what he did instead?

144. Nit64 says:

Ribs:

~ Trolled Calgary Puck ~

145. Reja says:

Durag: PREPARE TO BE SHOCKED

Edmonton Oilers liked

Jack Michaels

Verified account

@EdmontonJack8m8 minutes ago
    Same exact lineup at NJ, including Koskinen in net.

Tippett trying to keep both goalies involved and happy. Still surprised with decision anyhow all aboard the Kosh train Toot Toot.

146. Reja says:

Ribs:

Goof is a pretty strong word. Why would you use that word?

147. geowal says:

OriginalPouzar: On ON yesterday, Stauffer asked Woody about the lines in practice this week as he split Benson/Marody for the 3rd period last game and Woody mentioned that its been “development week”.

I really liked hearing that.

That’s really cool. Just the kind of development and practice time that can be afforded to AHLers that just can’t be accommodated at the NHL level. Reinforces why it’s nice a new pro like Bouchard can get some time down there (as you’ve said many times before).

148. blainer says:

I seem to remember the goalies who played against us on the second game of a back to back last year played lights out against us.

Jeebus i hope we don’t see a repeat of that very much this year.

149. LadiesloveSmid says:

Konovalov with the shutout for Lokomotiv today

150. Ribs says:

Reja: Goof is a pretty strong word. Why would you use that word?

Goof as in goofball?

151. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: It could get messy after the honeymoon is over the Flames better hope for LTIR.

3 years of a dead $5.25M cap hit for the flames? Would love it!

Not that he’s providing much more than that now, at least they think he is.

152. OriginalPouzar says:

Profit:
    Andy Dufresne,

Ok which of you guys is Matty:

Jim Matheson
    @NHLbyMatty
    1h

When I read that tweet, it did occur to me that he read my post on here first.

LadiesloveSmid:
    Konovalov with the shutout for Lokomotiv today

All hail MacT! -).

McLellan got 5 x $5 million from the Kings. Blake is going to hate that contract in a couple of more weeks.

Where have you gone Joe Dementor?

154. tileguy says:

JARRI’S REVENGE,

Didn’t Tiky shadow the shadow?

155. LadiesloveSmid says:

Reja: Goof is a pretty strong word. Why would you use that word?

I have an uncle who’s a goof, I’d rather we not use that term

156. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:

What are the Flames going to say?“This was a terrible idea, who approved it?””

You are right, of course his teammates are going to support him – its not their verbal, its SN and TSN running with it.

They are really running with a “story” that Eric Francis started.

I think Eric Francis believe it – not anyone else though.

157. LadiesloveSmid says:

godot10:

Where have you gone Joe Dementor?

How long you been saving that one?

158. Reja says:

Ribs: Goof as in goofball?

I know my generation detest that word. I got a pretty good idea Neal was smothered between the sheets with someone that is out of yours and my league.

159. OriginalPouzar says:

When asked about the no morning skate, Tip said that, when playing ever second day, only one skate between games is needed and they had a good practice yesterday. He acknowledged that Devils played yesterday so there was no need for the Oil to waste a bunch of energy.

The game has definitely not passed this guy by.

He’s got some old school ideas but he has adapted – he mentions “attempts at the net” instead of “shots” – that was a small thing but meant something to me.

160. dustrock says:

Ribs: Goof as in goofball?

Gotta be careful with “goof”. Could get you stabbed in the wrong crowd.

161. Reja says:

I nailed the last games score I’m going to try again if that’s alright? Oilers go into phase 2 of the Blitzkrieg of New York State and hammer the Devils early and often to a 6-2 beat down.

162. Reja says:

dustrock: Gotta be careful with “goof”. Could get you stabbed in the wrong crowd.

Darn Tootin

163. drglen says:

Is Archie in? Chaisson?

I guess not if same line up means same line up.

164. OriginalPouzar says:

dessert: Was he re-signed to an AHL only contract? I thought the org let him go over the off season.

He had an NHL contract for 2018/19, wasn’t tendered and then, I believe, signed to an AHL only deal.

165. Side says:

And here I thought millennials were supposed to be the sensitive generation…

166. Side says:

Ribs:

He’s giving ammunition to the Flames fans.

“See, I told you Neal wasn’t a team player and didn’t put in extra effort! Lucic would have been at practice, even if the coach told him not!”

167. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I’d feel more comfortable with Smith but Koski it is.

A bit surprised but – lets go Mikko!

I think Tippet would prefer Smith against the Rangers. It’s in less than 48 hours.

168. OriginalPouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Konovalov with the shutout for Lokomotiv today

Beat me too it.

They needed him too – game was scoreless until well in to the third and they won 1-0.

27 saves!

169. Reja says:

Side: He’s giving ammunition to the Flames fans.

Neal does not like Peters.

170. geowal says:

Weird. I can’t imagine a more benign, joking-border-on-friendly term for someone.

171. Eh Team says:

OriginalPouzar: I think I lean towards Smith as I have more confidence in him in general and, also, if he doesn’t start, he’ll be a week between games on Sat.

Smith was good in game 1, but horrible in game 2. You don’t often win with that level of goaltending. We have to give him 10 games at least before you can make any kind of assessment as to his true level of play.

172. OriginalPouzar says:

godot: All hail MacT! -).

McLellan got 5 x $5 million from the Kings.Blake is going to hate that contract in a couple of more weeks.

Where have you gone Joe Dementor?

AEG may hate it but it doesn’t effect Blake’s ability to build his team (well, unless Coach Todd sucks at his job and AEG won’t approve his firing).

173. OriginalPouzar says:

drglen:
    Is Archie in?Chaisson?

I guess not if same line up means same line up.

Same lineup

174. OriginalPouzar says:

EhTeam: Smith was good in game 1, but horrible in game 2.You don’t often win with that level of goaltending.We have to give him 10 games at least before you can make any kind of assessment as to his true level of play.

Smith has let in one bad goal in two games – one puck that he “should have saved” has gone in – that third one against LA.

Yes, of course, the two puck-handling freebie goals – they count but they aren’t indicative of his level of goaltending right now. They are going to happen every 4 or 5 games (or so).

Smith was very good in the last two periods – made some big saves and a really big play to help get a clear on the 5 on 3.

I have more confidence in Smith right now than Mikko re: letting in bad goals.

Either way, as I said earlier, I don’t think there was a “wrong decision” on this with both goalies being confident and fresh but not rusty.

Go Mikko.

175. Reja says:

Eh Team: Smith was good in game 1, but horrible in game 2.You don’t often win with that level of goaltending.We have to give him 10 games at least before you can make any kind of assessment as to his true level of play.

Smith is gamer he will fire up his team and make the big saves at the right time.

176. Ribs says:

Reja: I know my generation detest that word.

177. dessert1111 says:

Ribs: Good to know. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it having the connotation you are referring to before. I will try to avoid using it in the future!

For inmates it’s apparently the most offensive term you can call someone. Starts fights etc

That’s the only context I’ve ever heard of it being offensive – I think otherwise it’s largely considered a light and even silly namecall.

178. Andy Dufresne says:

ashley,

Thanks Ashley.

179. Andy Dufresne says:

Reja: It’s not a Trophy it’s a Ribbon.

HA! lol….nice.

Or, a Hologram

in·tan·gi·ble /inˈtanjəb(ə)l/
    adjective
    unable to be touched or grasped; not having physical presence.

180. McSorley33 says:

I am in strange country here with our head coach.

I agree with most, if not nearly all, of what he is doing and our team is 3-0

Don’t’ know what to here.

As someone else mentioned, I would love to see our goalies ( assuming they are
    playing relatively well ) get a roughly equal split of games.

Is this how regular hockey fans feel?

181. Andy Dufresne says:

OriginalPouzar: Welcome and, absolutely, I love doing them.

With that said, I’ll miss their next game completely on Sunday afternoon.

Miss as many as you need to, no problem. Its the regular updates that I appreciate the most. 🙂

182. hunter1909 says:

What surprises me about this 3 game old season is how the Oilers are in every game and sometimes look superior to the opposition.

183. OriginalPouzar says:

Nurse with a tripping penalty 24 seconds in.

184. Numenius says:

Nurse with a stupid penalty

185. drglen says:

ya, that’s a penalty

186. OriginalPouzar says:

Hall a PP giveaway followed by Hughes a PP giveaway.

1st overalls.

Big save by MIkko on the one PP chance – one timer by another the last first overall in Hiesher.

187. OriginalPouzar says:

Man, another giveaway by Hall in the defensive zone (huge forecheck by the second line to cause it) and then a third on a bad Hall pass on a 2 on 1 (nice play by Nuge).

188. hunter1909 says:

4 goal lead asap please.

3 goal lead, even.

189. hunter1909 says:

Oh no.

190. OriginalPouzar says:

Man, some great o-zone work by the second line, again – great pass back to Klef but his shot is blocked for a two on one the other way and Kyle P. over the glove on the short side……

191. theDjdj says:

that glove hand…

192. drglen says:

aw dang…

193. drglen says:

was that high glove?

194. markymark says:

Shocking. High glove on Koski.

195. B S says:

GordieHoweHatTrick,

Meant to warn you the other night: check for bedbugs! NYC is crawling with them, and from personal experience over the summer can ruin an otherwise good trip.

196. markymark says:

Hey, koski made a save high glove!

Newer Comments »