2019-20 Game Five: Oilers at Rangers

In the seventh game of the Edmonton Oilers NHL experience, the club entered Madison Square Garden and were flattened (10-2) by a veteran Rangers team. John Davidson stopped everyone but Al Hamilton and Stan Weir, while Eddie Mio and Dave Dryden were victims of Don Murdoch, Ulf Nilsson and Lucien Deblois (all twice). A week later, Deblois was sent to the Colorado Rockies (along with Pat Hickey, Mike McEwen, Bobby Sheehan and Dean Turner) for Barry Beck. The Rangers do not have a winning record against the Oilers (34-31-11 in 76 games favors Edmonton) but Manhattan can be a dangerous place for a hockey team. Plus, for some reason don’t know why, afternoon games on weekends often turn into Saturday Splatterday or Sunday Bummed Day for Oilers fans. It’s an early game. Don’t forget!

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, there is a Puck Drop Special offer here.

• New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: 4 positives in the Oilers’ 4 wins that may not be sustainable
  • New Lowetide: Oilers’ Oscar Klefbom playing tough minutes with inexperienced partners — and looking good doing it
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘He’s addicted to getting better’: What the Oilers are saying about Connor McDavid’s amazing start
  • Eric Duhatschek: The lasting impact of The Gretzky Effect, 40 years after his NHL debut
  • Jonathan Willis: Oilers who could win (or lose) NHL jobs early in 2019-20
  • Lowetide: Several unproven players are earning NHL jobs and increasing roster quality and depth. No balance photo, but some traction early.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Why Riley Sheahan could be a key ingredient the Oilers have been missing
  • Jonathan Willis: Bet on James Neal rebounding with Oilers, just not all the way
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How Joel Persson went from being a part-time teacher three years ago to patrolling the Oilers blue line (this is exceptional).
  • Lowetide: Keeping an eye on Jesse Puljujarvi: Which teams could emerge as potential trade partners?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Oscar Klefbom on being a mentor, his strategy for staying healthy and saying goodbye to a friend.
  • Daniel and Jon: Ten bold (and not so bold) predictions for the Oilers this season
  • Corey Pronman: Oilers No. 9 farm system.
  • Lowetide: Oilers top 20 prospects summer 2019.

OILERS IN OCTOBER

• Oilers in October 2015: 1-4-0, goal differential -5
  • Oilers in October 2016: 4-1-0, goal differential +4
  • Oilers in October 2017: 1-4-0, goal differential -8
  • Oilers in October 2018: 3-2-0, goal differential -3
  • Oilers in October 2019: 4-0-0, goal differential +5

Edmonton has a chance to make this start a special one historically, but there were some cracks in New Jersey. Coach Tippett is going to make some moves up front based on yesterday’s practice, with Alex Chiasson and Josh Archibald coming back into the lineup. That may mean a roster move, stay tuned for news before game time.

WHAT TO EXPECT IN OCTOBER

• At home to: Vancouver, Los Angeles (Expected: 1-1-0) (Actual 2-0-0)
  • On the road to: NYI, NJD, NYR, CHI (Expected 2-1-1) Actual (2-0-0)
  • At home to: Philadelphia, Detroit (Expected 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Winnipeg, Minnesota (Expected 1-1-0)
  • At home to: Washington, Florida (Expected 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Detroit, Columbus (Expected 1-1-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-6-1, 15 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 4-0-0, 8 points after 4 games

I think the Chicago game is an easier challenge but it’s so early in the season. From what I’ve seen of the Rangers they’re a far more substantial offensive team than we’ve seen in previous years. That damned senior citizen Artemi Panarin is on his way to owning Manhattan. Mika Zibanejad, long a favorite of this blog’s author, is an absolute rocket through two games this season.

OILERS 2019-20

Oilers are getting some scoring outside the McDavid line, the 97 trio should be going on an outscoring spree soon. The even strength goals for/against splits (McDavid ON: 6-4; McDavid OFF: 5-6) are good in the early days. The James Neal story is an absolute monster, I know you’re already sick of the hype but in real hockey terms Ken Holland traded a headache for a dream. I’m a Milan Lucic fan, wish him well. I predicted 18 goals for Neal, I’m no seer. Don’t let a massive story pass you by just because the media is using a 10-pound hammer.

LAST NIGHT

I’ll be doing an article on this tomorrow for The Athletic, but Raphael Lavoie (2-1-3) had a big night for Halifax and is now 9, 5-8-13 in 2019-20. In the same game, Olivier Rodrigue stopped 18 of 21 for the Moncton Wildcats, his SP so far is .914. The college season got underway last night and several Oilers prospects were in action. Mike Kesselring had five shots for Northeastern, while Aapeli Rasanen was 4-of-8 in the dot for Boston College (Graham McPhee won three of four).

553 Responses to "2019-20 Game Five: Oilers at Rangers"

« Older Comments
  1. Bag of Pucks says:

Classic Oiler fans. Team has an historic start to the season and half the board is talking about trading Russell.

Savour the sweet lads. This team has given us plenty of sour.

2. Andy Dufresne says:

NHL Points Leaders

#1 Conner McDavid
    #2 Leon Draisaitl
    #10 James Neal
    #15 Oscar Klefbom

3. thehop says:

Calm your collective tits!

Let’s chat at the end of Movember.

If we are talking draft I’ll consider the tits calmed.

If we are talking playoffs…. them titties are on fire

4. yeraslob says:

Please and thank you in advance.
    FTFY… what this means?

5. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

thehop,

– just walking up 7th to our hotel. Such a great fall day. NYC is magic in fall.

– I’d bet a lot that no team that starts 5-0 hasn’t made playoffs in the last 30 years.

6. McNuge93 says:

fishman:
    So what do you think of Lageson/Larson as a 3 rd pair???? You should be able to get some assets back trading Benning + Russel.. I know 3 rookie D not ideal but Bear/ Persson looking alright so far. Will have a better idea by the time Larson is back. Russel is a warrior but he simply CANNOT move the puck. Off the glass and out and right back in!!!

Slow down. Lets stick with the depth we have for now. We can think about trading a D next summer. (Russel and maybe one of Jones, Lagesson )

7. Gerta Rauss says:

yeraslob:
    Please and thank you in advance.
    FTFY… what this means?

fixed that for you

8. YKOil says:

Dino:
    Klef Bouch
    Nurse Bear
    Jones Benning

I could see this in about a year or two. Not a bad looking group.

Very interested in seeing where this goes. Pending further results I see them keeping Persson over Benning.

LD – Early results making me think that Russell is safe this year but will be gone in the off-season (making space for Jones and/or Lagesson).

RD – Regardless of early/ongoing results, I think Benning may be traded at the deadline as part of a package for forward help given Bouchard, and maybe Jones, would be available to cover and Larsson should be back.

That said, pending how this plays out, Larsson could now vulnerable to trade at the deadline as well (though I see that move happening in the off-season). I would look to the deadline myself, when desperation is highest.

Of course, Manning is a non-issue, maybe he gets traded, maybe he doesn’t, not here next year.

9. thehop says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

I’ll bet your tits there is one or two that haven’t.

Not that I’m a pessimist.

The lack of depth will not be kind as the year moves forward.

Enjoy NYC and have a drink for me please and thanks.

Happy Thanksgiving

10. Woogie63 says:

How is Neal going to break out of this slump?

11. Wilde says:

Bear sparked the exit play on a rush goal by the McDavid line with a between-the-legs pass again…

12. Nit64 says:

Gerta Rauss: fixed that for you

In this case adding Brad Treliving as a GM to be thankful for

13. Nit64 says:

Woogie63:
    How is Neal going to break out of this slump?

Deflection on an empty netter. 😉

14. oilsnc79 says:

jp:
    More solid 1 on 1 D by Bear on Panarin. Bear can play both sides of the puck, impressive.

leadfarmer:
    Bear once again showing that offense from defense
    Tends to not show up on the scoreboard!!!

Some poor shnuck poked poked the bear huh.

15. yeraslob says:

Gerta Rauss: fixed that for you

Ah, thanks again
    I was going with f%uck this, f%uck you, which, oddly, worked almost all the time as a response but only made sense half the time! As I’m reading I’m thinking, “why would he swear at him for that?” lol

16. Revolved says:

Wilde:

Good catch again. What a play to neutralize the forecheck.

17. Dr. Taboggan says:

Wilde,

I am in love.

18. Reja says:

I want to retract my prediction of winning 3 out of 4 on this road trip I misspoke and I apologize because Chi-Town is ripe for the picking. It’s been a while since I seen such a rope a dope road game by the Oil. Playoffs Baby!

19. Nit64 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    thehop,

Only 37 teams to check:

20. Nit64 says:

Nit64: Only 37 teams to check:

Habs opened 2015-16 9-0. Finished with Bettman .500 and missed playoffs.

21. Revolved says:

I’m sure it’s been mentioned, but again Draisaitl played 23:24 (with 2:24 PK and 2:42 PP) and McDavid played 20:55 (with no PK and 3:07 PP). I know many agree with me that this is not sustainable, but there was definitely some push back yesterday and I’d like to counter that.

Just as PP minutes are much easier than EV minutes, PK minutes are likely much harder. I did not consider this when I looked into last season, but when I looked I found that the average total TOI for the top 90 NHL forwards last year was 19.5 minutes. The Oilers in this sample, McDavid (22.8), Draisaitl (22.6) and RNH (20.1), were all above average. By the end of an 82 game season, this works out to McDavid playing 14.0, Draisaitl 12.9 and RNH 2.5 more entire games than the average top line forward.

Notably, the same class of players for the two Cup finalist teams averaged 18.9 (Boston) and 19.0 (St. Louis) minutes per game during the regular season, both below average. It’s easy to argue that these teams were deeper and thus they could afford it, but St.Louis had a lot of catching up to do during the regular season and still didn’t ride their horses into the ground. I thought this would just be a Mclellan thing, but Hitchcock did the same thing and now Tippett is burning the candle at both ends.

I also think it’s important to remember that the second half of last season was particularly rough for McDavid and Draisaitl, as the pair was barely above 50% GF after the new year. I’m glad that McDavid is on the PK less, but both he and Draisaitl need to have their minutes reduced if they’re going to keep their heads above water over a hundred game season.

22. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Nit64: Habs opened2015-16 9-0. Finished with Bettman .500 and missed playoffs.

23. Dr. Taboggan says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – was that the year price got injured. If McD gets injured we won’t playoffs either.

Yes it was. He played 12 games.

24. Nit64 says:

That’s the season that ended with the Habs shopping Subban for Drai. Thank Pete he was only willing to squander Hall that day.

25. Victoria Oil says:

Dino:
    Klef Bouch
    Nurse Bear
    Jones Benning

I could see this in about a year or two. Not a bad looking group.

Not to mention Lagesson, Samorukov and Broberg.

26. Dr. Taboggan says:

If Bouchard plays all season in the AHL does he have to be protected for the expansion draft?

27. OriginalPouzar says:

jm:
    Rangers top line -3 on the night. Ouch.

They were hard-matched against the McDavid/Drai/Kassian line.

28. Victoria Oil says:

thehop:
    Calm your collective tits!

Let’s chat at the end of Movember.

If we are talking draft I’ll consider the tits calmed.

If we are talking playoffs…. them titties are on fire

Never get too high when things are going well and never get too low when things are going poorly.

And especially dont get too excited when your PDO is over 105. 102 might be sustainable, but 105 ain’t.

You may now resume your celebrations.

29. Nit64 says:

Dr. Taboggan:

Does not matter where he plays pro. He’ll still be exempt from that draft

Here’s the exempt list for players under contract:

Nygård, Joakim $0 UFA (2020)
    Haas, Gaëtan $0 UFA (2020)
    McLeod, Ryan $834,167 RFA (2022)
    Maksimov, Kirill $775,000 RFA (2022)
    Safin, Ostap $775,000 RFA (2022)
    Jurco, Tomas $800,000 UFA (2020)
    Slepyshev, Anton $925,000 RFA (2018)
    Yakimov, Bogdan $0 RFA (2017)
    Broberg, Philip $925,000 RFA (2022)
    Bouchard, Evan $894,167 RFA (2022)
    Samorukov, Dmitri $825,000 RFA (2022)
    Day, Logan $0 RFA (2020)
    Rodrigue, Olivier $809,167 RFA (2022)

30. Yegfoundation says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

What’s a hotel worth per night this time of year?

31. ArmchairGM says:

Dr. Taboggan:

No, i believe he’s exempt.

32. pts2pndr says:

Ryan: Would love to see a game with Jones – Benning on the third pair.

I’m certain Jones would be an upgrade on Russell

Russel doesn’t get beat like a rented mule one on one, Jones does.

33. JimmyV1965 says:

If Bear is still playing well by the time Larsson gets back, maybe we should trade Larsson. He could likely fetch a top six winger with term. I know. Miles and miles to go.

34. kgo says:

JimmyV1965:

If Bouchard is knocking the door off the hinges in Bakersfield and everyone is healthy then yes, trade him

35. kgo says:

Connor and Leon should be sliding into the top 10 for oilers carreer goals and points this year…guys like Horcoff Hemsky and Eberle will get passed.

Connor already sits 7th in two categories…number of Hat Tricks (4) and Game Winning Goals (38)

36. Drew says:

leadfarmer:
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again
    I trade Larsson for forward help and ditch Russell.
    Yes we can do it in offseason
    Between Bear Bouchard Persson and Benning
    Nurse Klef and Leftorium we have defense of future

Been thinking the same, how about signing Hall at 8.5 (same as leon)?

37. Professor Q says:

kgo:

Absolutely. Firstly, McDavid will pass the Nuge with 2 more points, although Nuge can obviously keep gaining ground there.

Then comes Esa, then Shawn, then Ales (in 230 to 500 fewer games, mind you). Eberle and Lowe have actually already been surpassed this season.

Draisaitl could potentially move up to 12th-11th this season depending on what he and the Nuge do (Nuge could move up to 10th-9th), while McDavid has a shot at moving up to 8th, with a shot at moving up to 7th next season. Or, who knows, goes Super Nova and moves up to 6th.

As good as the Neal record was, setting the NHL record for 5 straight come-from-behind victories to start the season today was very cherry!

38. who says:

YKOil: Very interested in seeing where this goes.Pending further results I see them keeping Persson over Benning.

That said, pending how this plays out, Larsson could now vulnerable to trade at the deadline as well (though I see that move happening in the off-season).I would look to the deadline myself, when desperation is highest.

Lot of this makes sense but my take is slightly different.
    I think the righty dman that is most likely to be traded is Matt Benning. And only after Larsson is up and running at full speed. By then the depth chart should be
    Larsson
    Bear
    Persson/Jones/Bouchard
    At some point next year it’s going to be
    Larsson
    Bouchard
    Bear
    That’s the right side of a contender. Not convinced on Persson yet. His straight away speed isn’t any better than Bennings.
    I’m not sure Russell is tradeable, certainly not this year. Don’t see any team committing 2 years on him. Early days, but he seems to have lost half a step. Seems a little slower going back to retrieve pucks. That was always a strength of his.
    Not expecting a lot from a Benning trade. I would be thrilled with a 2nd round pick but a 3rd rounder seems about right.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

The Oilers bottom 6 is not lighting things up now, not at all, however they have been a very nice piece to the team’s puzzle.

In years past the bottom 6 has generally been a black hole – just trying not to get scored on.

This year, so far, they have been able to be positive contributors by not just keeping momentum established by the top lines but also creating it. Before today the Sheahan line with Russell and Khaira had massive zone time over the last few games and, today, the new fourth line with Chiasson and Nygard had many very very positive shifts.

Not to mention the many positive PK guys in that group of 6.

Ken Holland made many bets one “established veteran pro players” with one-year contracts – guys with speed (generally) but some skill. These guys are competing for lineup spots and future contracts and, so far, its been a big help to the team.

Go Oilers.

40. OriginalPouzar says:

lackingapathy:
    Dino,

I think I prefer Lagesson in Jones spot with Jones sliding into 7d, but totally agree that’s a strong looking dcorps

100% – There needs to be some plus defending and the PK is a thing.

41. who says:

JimmyV1965:

Don’t agree with this at all.
    Bear has been great, but it’s FIVE games. Don’t you think he might hit a few speed bumps this year.
    And even if Bear is the real deal, are you comfortable with Persson and Benning in the 2 and 3 holes for the rest of the year? I’m not!
    The sooner Larsson gets back the better. He is the guy who can take a bunch of pressure off the young righty dmen. And he’s the only guy we got who can do that.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

BagofPucks: Absolutely. I haven’t been this satisfied with an Oiler trade since they acquired Pronger.

Scrivens for Kassian?

Gernat and a mid-pick for Maroon at $1.5M ($500K retained by ANA).

43. Pouzar says:

Wait….we…
    won the game
    won the Corgis
    on Saturday Afternoon
    with Drew Frickin Remenda doin Color?

WOOT!!!!!

44. OriginalPouzar says:

If I had to give the Hart Trophy out right now, it goes to Drai, not McDavid.

He is not just one of the best offensive players in the league anymore, he’s turned in to an elite two-way player.

45. OriginalPouzar says:

DrTaboggan:

No – he doesn’t need to be protected in the expansion draft no matter what.

If he doesn’t play 10 NHL games, his ELC does slide and won’t start until next season though.

46. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    Colborne!!!!

Awesome.

47. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Reja: I gotta go with Smith in Chi-town he’s in the zone baby.

The magic number for “days of rest” for goalies to have optimum performance seems to be “3” and I think Tippett knows this.

I bet that Koskinen starts in CHI seeing as its on Monday.

We’ll see.

EDM has a pile of “game every other day” coming up and I expect Tippett to give each goalie every other game unless someone seriously shits the bed.

48. Pouzar says:

Gerta Rauss: Nurse with the assist on the empty netter

Good. He was real good today. Not that you’ll hear it from anyone here.

49. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

This type of play is the best form of “Troll-Be-Gone” I could possibly imagine!

50. Pouzar says:

Persson coming out Party. Very nice game.

And goddamn Bear with that break out pass…Yee Haw!!!!

51. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar: Good. He was real good today. Not that you’ll hear it from anyone here.

Mr DeBakey:
    Those numbers for Neal are pretty funny.
    If the Oilers lose a few, does everyone start asking why Neal never passes the puck?

Small sample size, its a thing.

Because you don’t want Neal passing the puck. You want Neal shooting the puck. Why do you want to ruin Neal by telling him to pass the puck, or participate in fancy passing plays. Tell him to go to his spot and wait for the Oilers to get the puck to him. Neal is a good player when he is doing that. That and tell him to backcheck and contribute to the defensive structure.

In other words. Don’t fix what isn’t broken.

53. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:
    Persson coming out Party. Very nice game.

And goddamn Bear with that break out pass…Yee Haw!!!!

Yup, Persson’s best game after his previous best game on Thursday – he’s starting to show a little bit more of the offensive instincts and flair that he’s known for.

54. hags9k says:

82-0. Book it!

55. Bos8 says:

Pouzar:
    Persson coming out Party. Very nice game.

And goddamn Bear with that break out pass…Yee Haw!!!!

Bear ad Nurse complement other. One’s weakness is the other’s strength.

56. rickithebear says:

5 gp 17:22 ev min/gm; 3.45 evga/60
    Persson
    4 gp 15:38 ev min/gm; 3.84 evga/60
    bear
    5 gp 17:08 ev min/gm; 4.20 evga/60

2 better than average.

The other 4 need to be more consistent versus the comp they are suppose to be able to handle.

NuF said.

57. deardylan says:

Did you see how Kinger’s last double shot mixer obliterated the balance of two blueshirts and Dr.Drai was off to the races. It great to be god for a daygame.

58. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: I already stated it above – he was very good today – broke up a bunch of passes and threat with a great stick and generally was just, well, Nurse, without any walkabouts.

Leading 5v5 time by a fair margin too.

59. Hockey Project says:

The MSG broadcasters spent a lot of time putting over the Oilers for how much more structured they look under Dave Tippett. “Defensively, it just doesn’t look like the same team at all”.

60. Pouzar says:

Bos8: Bear ad Nurse complement other.One’s weakness is the other’s strength.

1 and 2 in 5v5 minutes

61. Pouzar says:

Hockey Project:

Agreed.
    As I stated yesterday, the DZone Tire Fires are down significantly this year.

Pouzar:
    Granlund over Haas.

SIGH

The formula for the playoffs:

1) win the 20 minutes with McDavid on the ice
    2) WIN THE SPECIAL TEAMS
    3) win the OT
    4) saw off the shootout.

leaves one up a goal starting a 35 minute game most of the time.

63. rickithebear says:

Jimmy V:
    Playing well?

4.20 evga/60

“ I do not think those words mean what you think they mean”

64. theDjdj says:

Nix:
    The vague concept of ‘maybe we can trade some of our overflowing D pipeline for forward help’ is going to have to be a real conversation soon. Especially if the playoffs are in picture.

Also, say what you like about Chia (and there is a lot to say) but he did well on big ticket negotiations. That Klefbom deal is delicious

65. rickithebear says:

Heading into tonight’s game
    Sandin 0.00 evga/60
    Holl 0.00 evga/60
    Ceci 3.26 evga/60
    Marincin 3.29 evga/60
    Reilly 4.47 evga/60
    Muzzin 4.77 evga/60
    Barrie 5.57 evga/60

Oilers could be Tor bad!

Reja: I gotta go with Smith in Chi-town he’s in the zone baby.

Koskinen in Chicago. Smith at home against Philly. is what I would do.

67. Harpers Hair says:

Side:
    Harper’s Hair is chewing up game footage to try to count how many missed penalties were missed or posts hit to see if he can discredit today’s win.

Actually was on a ferry and didn’t see that game.
    From all I’ve been able to gather the Oilers got a well deserved win.

68. Gerta Rauss says:

I’d start Koskinen in Chicago

Smith held serve, give him the day off

theDjdj: Honestly, I’d move Nurse. Thats not an indictment of his skill at all (even if his bonehead plays grate on my nerves) but we’re overloaded at that position and Im concerned about his contract. There are teams desperate for D help that would pay dearly for it. Like Winnipeg. Ehlers for Nurse?

The Oilers have only two proven D, Klefbom and Nurse, and both are just entering the prime of their careers. To trade either would be utter and complete insanity.

70. Scungilli Slushy says:

godot10: The Oilers have only two proven D, Klefbom and Nurse, and both are just entering the prime of their careers.To trade either would be utter and complete insanity.

Not until Bro or Samu push them off the roster.

It will happen with so many leftorium.

Not a bad thing, if the GM cashes well.

71. theDjdj says:

Yeah I kinda said it and then reconsidered what would happen if one went down. Just think you could have Winnipeg over the barrel their D is worst than our AHL team.

72. drglen says:

great game… missed the last part of the third period. A good win.

I want to mention that this was Perrsonns best game by far. Poised out there… he has to stay in the lineup. Benning as also a force. Bear and Nurse were a nice pair. No problems with our D. Where we get in problems is missed clears so guys are out way too long.

Also want to mention Nuge… don’t know if he got points.. but he’s such a good and threatening player.. A+ plays all over the ice. This guy is extremely valuable to the oilers and that 2nd line was starting to look like a second line.

Shehan was great… Khaira also good.. but maybe he should not try and pick corners but just shoot at the goalies pads and hope for a rebound.

73. theDjdj says:

drglen:
    great game… missed the last part of the third period.A good win.

I want to mention that this was Perrsonns best game by far.Poised out there… he has to stay in the lineup.Benning as also a force.Bear and Nurse were a nice pair. No problems with our D.Where we get in problems is missed clears so guys are out way too long.

Nuge got an assist on the Klefbom goal. HIs faceoff win was instrumental

74. rickithebear says:

Godot:

Dmens primary role is Defence per GM K. Holland, coach D. Tippett.

Oh I get it you missed words.

Oilers have only two proven “Consistently shitty defensive” D

Though Nurse has shown clear strong def play when not abandoning homeplate so that is not really proven.

Oilers have only two proven “high % homeplate abandoning roving” D

This might be accurate cause bear and Persson are not Proven.

Oilers have only 2 proven D ( based on Holland definition) Russell & Benning

This would be accurate on historic homeplate defence and this season as well.

Oilers have only 2 proven ( offensive roving) dmen, Klefbom and Nurse.

It is accurate when measuring against other D but they steal forward pocession and are awful at generating evg compared to top 9-10 forwards.

Just a little higher resolution of proven & D.

75. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

rickithebear:
    Jimmy V:
    Playing well?

4.20 evga/60

“ I do not think those words mean what you think they mean”

Sometimes looking at numbers without context can be misleading.
    In this case, Bear was on the ice for both of Smith’s gifts in the LAK (?) game iirc.
    Taking those 2 goals off his ga, what is his adjusted (more reflective)o ga/60?
    Thanks.

76. rickithebear says:

Before tonight’s game:
    Matta
    2 gp 16:37; 1.80 evga/60
    Myers
    3 gp 17:32; 3.42 evga/60

77. rickithebear says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: Sometimes looking at numbers without context can be misleading.
    Taking those 2 goals off his ga, what is his adjusted (more reflective)o ga/60?
    Thanks.

Persson
    4 gp 15:38 ev min/gm; 3.84 evga/60
    bear
    5 gp 17:08 ev min/gm; 4.20 evga/60

2 better than average.

NuF said.

I like you, but you’re watching a different hockey game Mr. Bear.

The early Woodmoney comps show Russell Benning playing the least against top comps

They are playing limited sheltered minutes, mostly hemmed in their zone, contributing zilch to offense.

79. nelson88 says:

Been at the game at MSG for the last 4 years. Always a good turn out of Oiler fans but particularly large this year. Nothing like a 4-0 start to bring out the pride of the jersey.

Oil were very solid all game. Lots of talk from Rangers fans about McDavid which is to be expected but plenty of chatter this year about dr drai. The occasional “lazy” play when he is trying to hard to make something happen but he really is one of the very best two way players in the league.

Tweet – potvin sucks!

80. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

rickithebear: I considered removing the 2 GA but looked at the positioning Smith wanted for out.et options.
    Failed on both!
    So said fuck that!

But what if you didn’t say fuck that?
    What would his evga/60 be?
    I am curious and would like to give the young bear a fair shake…at least an alternative analysis.
    Thanks if you can help!

81. pts2pndr says:

thehop:
    Kinger_Oil.redux,

I’ll bet your tits there is one or two that haven’t.

Not that I’m a pessimist.

The lack of depth will not be kind as the year moves forward.

Enjoy NYC and have a drink for me please and thanks.

Happy Thanksgiving

There is depth percolating in the A. Just because you don’t see it or refuse to believe doesn’t mean it isn’t there. When you see a diamond mine all you see is the hole.

82. norm_klassen says:

Defensively yes the top 4 should be better especially when offense dries up. Nurse and klefbom carrying rookies wont help but it’s all we got . I like our breakouts better with Bear and perrson and hope the defensive skills pick up as we go along

83. rickithebear says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: But what if you didn’t say fuck that?
    What would his evga/60 be?
    Thanks if you can help!

2.81 evga/60 is a lot better but not 2.64

I would gladly take that from a young D with his EVTOI and comp.

He has been a pleasant surprise.

Though you do not want 1+ evg/ gm from a D pair.
    Max 2 GA is the hope.
    Meaning other 2 pairs, PK, PP can only yeild 1 GA
    3 ga still has a shot.

84. leadfarmer says:

Russell is hopefully gone by next season
    His lunch is getting taken by the rookies and there’s better rookies on the way
    Keep Benning as your Ricki D
    And move on from Larsson and Russell

85. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

rickithebear: 2.81 evga/60 is a lot better but not 2.64

I would gladly take that from a young D with his EVTOI and comp.

He has been a pleasant surprise.

Though you do not want 1+ evg/ gm from a D pair.
    Max 2 GA is the hope.
    Meaning other 2 pairs, PK, PP can only yeild 1 GA
    3 ga still has a shot.

Thanks for obliging!
    I think he is off to a very good start!
    Being asked to do some hard work and making some very nice defensive plays at 5v5 and on PK
    Separating puck from man and getting the biscuit headed north quite effectively.
    I think we will see his evga/60 drop

86. rickithebear says:

Ryan:
    Your forwards are suppose to contribute offence.

Benning on ice:
    6 GF 0 GA +6
    Russell
    2 GF 2 GA even
    Bear
    4 GF 6 GA -2; if you subtract 2 goals, even
    Klefbom
    5 GF 5 GA
    Persson
    4 GF 4 GA

Tipett said “there is still a lot to work on.”

87. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear,

Your team is supposed to contribute offense
    I think Ethan the Bear is showing people what I’ve been saying about offense from defense is not count on score sheet a lot of the time

88. rickithebear says:

Lead:

What was the GA per gm in STL 4 wins of each series?

I posted it a few times.

Show me you can look it up?

89. who says:

leadfarmer:
    Russell is hopefully gone by next season
    His lunch is getting taken by the rookies and there’s better rookies on the way
    Keep Benning as your Ricki D
    And move on from Larsson and Russell

I repeat.
    Trading Larsson is a BAD idea. Would you be comfortable with our current RD for the entire season?
    Trading Russell might be difficult. Although we did trade Lucic, so anything is possible.

90. Side says:

Harpers Hair: Actually was on a ferry and didn’t see that game.
    From all I’ve been able to gather the Oilers got a well deserved win.

History has been made twice today… the Oilers go 5-0 with all 5 wins being comebacks and HH compliments the Oilers.

91. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear,

Please show me you can look up were Fayne is playing these days

St. Louis played as a 5 man unit, suffocating the ice and not defense is for defense and offense is for offense.
    Or did you already forget that 3 of their top scorers were defenders
    Because you force all the square peg successes into the Ricki round hole box
    Like Vegas played a Ricki game which they played the exact opposite
    Because your description for the world is everyone is an idiot
    Because how would you explain all the jobless Ricki D out there

92. Side says:

The Flames are still using Lucic on the power play…. incredible.

93. Pescador says:

theDjdj: Honestly, I’d move Nurse.

Every year since he entered the league people have been trading Nurse
    Who needs a proven top 4 homegrown Dman just entering his prime when the Oilers are flush with young unproven up & comers.
    I mean they’re ALL going to make it right?

94. leadfarmer says:

Wish we could have traded for Ilya Samsonov
    We could have had our starter for the next decade and a half

95. rickithebear says:

leadfarmer:
    rickithebear,

Your team is supposed to contribute offense

18/19
    Top 93 evg skaters ( 1 st line)
    93 forwards; 100% forwards
    Top 186 evg skaters (top 6 )
    179 forwards 7 dmen; 96.2%
    Top 279 skaters ( top 9 )
    257 forwards 22 dmen; 92.1% forwards

For all teams you want the d men to pass to all top 9 forwards (92 % best 279 are forwards) so you do not risk def of homeplate.
    The most important off skill for dmen is get the forward the puck and be a 4 th and 5 th option.
    Which has been visible from Dmen like Nurse.

The most important thing you need from your 3 rd pair is low evga so the bottom 6 can outscore their competition.

Lead this is most basic and obvious thing that repeats year to yr.

I smile when I see goalsfrom D or pass to open net forward shot from D as a 4th/ 5th option or getting top 9 forwards the puck ASAP in transition.

96. Ryan says:

rickithebear:
    Ryan:
    Your forwards are suppose to contribute offence.

Benning on ice:
    6 GF 0 GA +6
    Russell
    2 GF 2 GA even
    Bear
    4 GF 6 GA -2; if you subtract 2 goals, even
    Klefbom
    5 GF 5 GA
    Persson
    4 GF 4 GA

Tipett said “there is still a lot to work on.”

Russell Benning are playing 3rd pairing minutes against players that beat the puck square.

Bear and Nurse are getting the bulk of the top comp.

Russell plays boomerang d. Boomerang the puck up the boards and maybe out to the red line then watch the other team attack again without a corresponding rush from the Oilers.

Bear sets up the transition leading to controlled entries and offensive scoring chances.

97. healthyscratch says:

Ryan,

I only caught the last 10 minutes of the game. Its the first chance I’ve had to watch this season, and the speed with which the Oilers broke out of their own zone as compared to previous seasons was noticeably different. Immediately. Then Russel came on for a shift, gained possession, took the puck behind the net, and allowed the Rangers to set up their forecheck causing a turnover before the Oilers made it to the red line. The same thing happened again on his next shift.

While he cleared the zone on both occasions, missing the quick, accurate pass after gaining possession cost the Oilers 2 opportunities to counter attack and get the puck to the far end of the ice.

98. Yeti says:

Persson
    4 gp 15:38 ev min/gm; 3.84 evga/60
    bear
    5 gp 17:08 ev min/gm; 4.20 evga/60

2 better than average.

NuF said.

Is this like when a grizzly kills the cubs of its rivals so it can mate with the females?

99. drglen says:

Pescador,

we should all stop talking about nurse…. just…. stop…. he’s not being traded nor should he be. He’s edmontons Ken Danyko.

What we don’t really have ( though Benning makes a strong case) are the cycle breakers and when we get into it with certain teams, we will really need Larsson. After this year, or at the deadline, one might consider moving Larrson… but going to be needed this year.

100. Harpers Hair says:

Always call it as I see it.
    Hasn’t been much to be positive about in the last 19 years.

101. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear,

Yet to go to your St. Louis example. 3 defensemen outscored you top 9 arguement including a defensemen outscoring a member of the top line on down
    Because this is a team sport and all 5 players need to play as a unit
    And not play whackapuck to defend at all costs
    This isn’t the clutch and grab era

102. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair:
    Always call it as I see it.
    Hasn’t been much to be positive aboutin the last 19 years.

And what about top 6 player Michael Ferland
    Sure they would probably like Chiasson on a short term deal right about now

103. rickithebear says:

drglen:
    Pescador,

we should all stop talking about nurse…. just…. stop…. he’s not being traded nor should he be.He’s edmontons Ken Danyko.

NJD were the deepest HD and closed shot defence for almost a decade.
    The model for any final 4 team and my cup core roster.

Nurse could be Larsson.
    As I have said many times he showed it at WJC and WC.

Holland said early in the job.
    Dmen become NHL ready at 23-24.

Larson 26
    Klefbom 26
    Persson 25
    Benning 25
    Nurse 24
    Bear 22

All are young in def terms.

104. digger50 says:

Nurse will get paid and that is fine in my opinion.

He’s part of the core fabric of this team. Trading him would rip our guts out.

105. OilClog says:

4 gp 15:38 ev min/gm; 3.84 evga/60
    bear
    5 gp 17:08 ev min/gm; 4.20 evga/60

2 better than average.

NuF said.

Nuf said?!

Are you not watching the game at all to put the numbers infront in context?! Nuf said.. Nuf said.. Like wtf is a nuf?!

Rookie D playing top pairing minutes looking every bit the part while the team is scoring and winning and he’s suppose to pull his socks up!?! Where the fuck does one pull his socks up to!?!

Stats are great but they can also point out when someone isn’t watching the actual game, and choosing when and how to apply the stats.

If you watched the games you’d know that if a Russell/Benning pairing was playing top line minutes against top line competitor the Oilers would be getting there heads kicked in from Ladysmith to New Brunswick and everywhere in between.

If you want anyone to take your stats seriously watch the game!

Nuf said.. Fuuuuck

106. rickithebear says:

Leadfarmer::

you forgot I am the one who came up with open and closed corsi from a 45 yr old observation.

The guy that pointed out the reduction of corsi to non scoreable is the best def skill.

So the best off skill is open space targeting partnered with homeplate penetration.
    Why I argued Eberle’s shooting % could be repeated.

But I can understand why you did not answer the question.

I allways say
    2GA or less.
    GA win championships.

107. Reja says:

Harpers Hair: Actually was on a ferry and didn’t see that game.
    From all I’ve been able to gather the Oilers got a well deserved win.

108. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear:
    Leadfarmer::

Why I argued Eberle’s shooting % could be repeated.

But I can understand why you did not answer the question.

I allways say
    2GA or less.
    GA win championships.

As a physician I look for explanations for what goes on in the world
    Your GA explanation is complete opposite of where the league has been going
    You may disagree where the league is heading but that is not an explanation

109. rickithebear says:

Clog:

Your opinion is
    if Russell and Benning we’re playing 1st comp they would get clobbered.

So the Opposition coaches have been running their best against them on the road and destroying them.
    Right?
    Right!

I wait for your data.

I would trust them against 2nd/ 3rd/ 4th comp were they have both shown top 40 Open HD def.
    Do not see them as 1st comp.

110. Pescador says:

Side:
    The Flames are still using Lucic on the power play…. incredible.

Lucic was struggling to score on the PP with McD, Drai & RNH.
    So naturally he will regain that touch with Guadreau, Monahan and Lindholm
    How many games until Peter’s pulls the plug?

111. rickithebear says:

STL cup champions
    Vs BOS 4 wins 6 GA 1.50 GAPGM
    Vs SJS 4 wins 4 GA 1.00 GAPGM
    VS Dal 4 wins 7 GA 1.75 GAPGM
    VS WPG 4 wins 8 GA 2.00 GAPGM

112. Reja says:

I thought Chase played a real good game. We all know he was a second fiddle free agent signing but for a paltry 1.6 percent of the cap for a team leader that’s in his prime years I just don’t get the whipping boy comments he receives. I still think he pots 17 goals even though he’s off PP1 for now.

113. Pescador says:

rickithebear:
    Leadfarmer::

Isn’t this just a rebranding of Fenwick or Dangerous Fenwick?
    Your explanation of open hole shot vs. closed hole shot doesn’t make any sense.
    Seems to me that you keep coming on the blog almost every day to throw rocks at other posters who try to engage with you.
    Then you seem to suggest the problem is our collective low level of intelligence as the reason why nobody gets your theory except for you.
    When you decide to try being respectful of the people you wish to debate with, you will probably find more who are accepting of your claims to being the inventor.

114. Harpers Hair says:

Reja: They played a perfect rope a dope road game they had so many good looks the score flattened the Rangers. Teams with a top 10 PP and PK do not miss the Playoffs Baby.

115. Pescador says:

rickithebear:
    STL cup champions
    Vs BOS 4 wins 6 GA 1.50 GAPGM
    Vs SJS 4 wins 4 GA 1.00 GAPGM
    VS Dal 4 wins 7 GA 1.75 GAPGM
    VS WPG 4 wins 8 GA 2.00 GAPGM

This makes sense to me.
    But it doesn’t take a secret theory to understand that team defense wins championships.
    I think you give way to much credit to each individual Dman who played in these games.
    Try adding some context, like what was the sv% of each goalie from the winning team as well as the loser.
    I don’t see how you can attribute high shot suppression to individual dmen without also considering the Wowy’s from the forward group.
    Who do you image the STL d perform this metric better with, Ryan O’Reilly or Vlad Tarasenko?

116. OriginalPouzar says:

ScungilliSlushy: Not until Bro or Samu push them off the roster.

It will happen with so many leftorium.

Not a bad thing, if the GM cashes well.

And I doubt Sammy is even ready for a NHL game until at least mid season 2020/21 and Borberg may not even be in North America until 2021/22 (although I think he will likely be a condor next year).

117. rickithebear says:

Lead:
    I have stated that 3-1-1-1 structure has become a higher % of play.
    As a result 3-1-1-1 teams make the playoffs.

CGY

CBJ
    Vs TMP 4 wins 8 GA 2.00 GAPGM
    Vs BOS 4 losses 14 GA 3.50 GAPGM

COL
    Vs CGY 4 wins 7 GA 1.75 GAPGM
    VS SJS 4 losses 14 GA 3.50 GAPGM

Most 3-1-1-1 dominate teams are gone after first 2 rounds.
    SJS got thru VGK because of refs major call.
    Faced a 3-2-1 team in Conf final.

118. Reja says:

Harpers Hair: I think I would wait to see how they fare against teams that made the playoffs last season before getting too excited.

Sens beat the lightning among other upsets today any team can win on a given night.

119. rickithebear says:

19/20
    5 wins 13 GA 2.60 GAPGM
    4 of the wins 8 GA 2.00

120. Munny says:

A most enjoyable game day thread. The running Kinger was priceless.

121. JimmyV1965 says:

who: Don’t agree with this at all.

Ya. You’re probably right.

122. Munny says:

There’s no way Larsson is getting traded at the TD if the Oil are in the playoffs.

No way.

A Pietrangelo
    5 gp 17:13 ev min/ gm; 4.18 evga/60
    Gunnarson:
    3 gp 13:34 ev min/gm; 4.42 evga/60

2 better than average.

NuF said.

Now let’s get Doug Armstrong on the phone and convince him that Pietrangelo and Parayko are two of his 3 worst defensemen.

125. Side says:

Munny:
    5-2 Knights

Brian Burke was talking about how the Flames needed a guy like Lucic because his fights fire up the team.

I wonder how many fights Lucic needs to get into tonight for this Flames comeback to happen.

126. JimmyV1965 says:

Side:
    The Flames are still using Lucic on the power play…. incredible.

127. Side says:

JimmyV1965: I wish the guy no ill will, but it’s such a pleasure not watching him this year. He was such a frustrating player to watch.

I totally agree. Lucic seems like a pretty good guy and I have nothing against him personally.

It’s just nice to see him weighing the Flames down of all teams, and it’s hilarious seeing fans, journalists and ‘experts’ still defending and justifying the trade.

If Lucic were on any other team I would probably not be posting about him so much as I do now.

128. Ryan says:

One funny thing I noticed looking at NST tonight.

Here’s last year’s blue sorted by all 5v5 toi/60 (min 500 min)

Parayko
    Pietrangelo
    Bouwmeister

Edmundson
    Dunn
    Bortuzzo

Here’s last year’s blue sorted by on the fly shifts/60 at 5v5 (least minutes to most)

Parayko
    Pietrangelo
    Bouwmeester

Edmundson
    Dunn
    Bortuzzo

Looks like coaches presumably play their best dmen the most… and give the most on the fly starts per 60 to their worst dmen.

Oilers leaders this season in On the fly starts /60

Nurse
    Bear
    Klefbomb
    Persson
    Russell
    Benning

Looks like Tippett is hiding his Rickibox dmen at 5v5.

If only he knew their evga/60!!!

129. Munny says:

Ryan,

Great post. Would not surprise me if this was a general truth. It’s what I would do if I was a coach. I’d rather have a better pair take a defensive zone face off over my poorest, for eg.

Be curious to know how this looks for other teams.

130. JimmyV1965 says:

No offence, but the Nucks are nothing to write home about. If Edler and Myers are your top pair, the team is in trouble. Any success they have enjoyed this year can almost completely be attributed to Markstrom. He looks amazing.

131. Johnny Larue says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,InIIn Was in New YIn New York 2 games 2 wins amazing

132. rickithebear says:

Pescador:

How does a table hockey goalie stop shots.
    Moves with the puck.
    Ph1 of tracking.

The puck truly hits the goalie it has no chance of going in.
    Classic is puck shot in the glove with no movement of arm.
    Then the arm swing.
    That is a closed shots.
    Not a Save!

It is simple.
    Pucks that are directly shot into any part of goalie pads, pants, chest protector, blocker, glove, shoulder pad, arm pads, helmet have 0% chance of going in.

Only saves occur when a corsi reaches open space in net elevation requiring a goalie to actually move to make a save.

Shot Quality
    Scoreable/ non scoreable

You measure a goalie by the open shots he saves.

The true HD area density map is created by only taking the success average of all open shots by x,y location.

You get a true xGA.

You get a true baseline save% for a Dmans side by open shot density yeilded.

This is a 45+ yr old observation.

Worked with dDryden and his D
    Worked with JVB and his D
    Worked with Roy and his D
    Worked with NJD who had years of 20 shot/ gm seasons with games of zero open shots.

OnLy scoreable shots go in.

But pocession is measured by phase.
    A rebound shot is a new phase.

Blocks + misses + hit goalie ( closed shot) are non scoreable corsi.

Easy peasey!

Better Resolution.
    Shot density based on only scoreable shots.

Finally accurate measure.

Not fake Data from closed shots.

133. JimmyV1965 says:

Stunning how many comments on Flames Nation revolve around Lucic. I’ll be surprised if he’s in the league two years from now.

134. rickithebear says:

A Pietrangelo
    5 gp 17:13 ev min/ gm; 4.18 evga/60
    Gunnarson:
    3 gp 13:34 ev min/gm; 4.42 evga/60

2 better than average.

NuF said.

Ryan we use history to see if this is out of the ordinary or usual.
    Then you can form a point of view based on knowledge of player history.
    Versus an Opinion: point of view not based on facts or knowledge.

Your response is fair.
    Deeper resolution.

Check
    Nurse
    Klefbom
    Larsson
    Pietrangelo
    Parayko

Look at WoWY pairs.

look at open shot density ( baseline save%) to every d side by the 4 level of comp.

Do you feel comfortable posting the data cause it matches past history?

135. rickithebear says:

18/19
    V. Dunn
    #10 D .45 evg/60
    #23 D 2.11 evg/60

Off and defence in top 25 Very unusual.
    No matter the comp that is an elite Dman.

1.68 evga/60 continuing matching history.

Bouwmeester

14/15 3.18
    15/16 2.77
    16/17 2.70
    17/18 3.47
    18/19 2.67
    19/20 3.45

Nurse and Klefboms numbers are not unexpected.

Larsson
    13/14 1.83
    14/15 1.93
    15/16 1.43
    16/17 2.31
    17/18 2.50
    18/19 3.03
    19/20 0.00

Would expect sub 2.00 in a Def system Tippett runs.

136. geowal says:

JimmyV1965:

Are you trying to say they’re not all glowing reviews?

137. hags9k says:

EVERYBODY STOP TRADING LARSSON!

Long road, he’s a beauty, thanks.

138. Munny says:

One last thing… Ted Green was a client of mine for 5-6 years.

One of the classiest people you will ever meet.

He is missed.

RIP Teddy.

139. geowal says:

The current Winnipeg D situation is a wonderful cautionary tale of why we should think twice about trading any of Nurse, Larsson, and whoever else has been bandied about in this thread.

140. kgo says:

geowal:

141. kgo says:

Munny:

No way.

142. theDjdj says:

Pescador: Every year since he entered the league people have been trading Nurse
    I mean they’re ALL going to make it right?

143. raventalon40 says:

theDjdj: Perhaps its robbing Peter to pay Paul but I’d explore the option. Klefbom if healthy is a better 1D and I have concern about Nurse’s next contract. Like the player though and certainly cheer for him. Just saying if a good deal comes across the phone it’s a position the Oilers have a better chance at covering

Knock on wood and love the player (I own a Klefbom jersey) but better keep all the depth imho. Klefbom has only one 82 game season so your IF is a really big IF

144. Reja says:

JimmyV1965:

I’m glad we don’t play the Flames till the end of December it could get real messy in Calgary if Milan becomes the whipping boy. Oiler players better skate with their heads up and be aware when Milan’s on the ice because I could see him on a mission to land a couple of bone crushing hits.

145. OriginalPouzar says:

Despite a tough year last year, Adam Larsson remains an important part of this team and his value will be most evident down the stretch and in the playoffs.

The best part about what we are seeing now is that Tippett MAY have the ability to give Larsson some help with the tough 5 on 5 minutes and the PK minutes. Since the day he arrived, Larsson has played 1RD on this team, the toughest minutes on the team, night in and night out. Truth be told, his skill set lends itself more to a 2RD deployment.

Now, neither Ethan Bear nor Joel Persson are currently legit 1RD in the NHL, I’m sure we can all agree on that, however, they are both doing well, and Bear somewhat excelling, playing with plus “veteran” LD partners. When Larsson comes back, while he will still take on some tough 1RD minutes, I”m sure, coach Tip will also be able to give Larsson some help with those minutes and spread them through a few of his personnel.

This is a wonderful thing.

So far, so good.

#ethanbearthatissomechrisprongershit!

146. OriginalPouzar says:

The Oilers aren’t just leading the league after 5 and one of the last few undefeated teams, they are also leading the league in goal differential – full value for that placement.

147. Professor Q says:

kgo: This is a good point, but I’ve never seen a D corps dismantled like Winnipeg’s in the 31 years I’ve been watching hockey, kind of reminds me of when Vancouver had luongo and Schneider….then poof both were gone

The Buffalo Sabres in the 2006 playoffs?

The Edmonton Oilers in the 2006 offseason?

148. Professor Q says:

kgo: There is a way…it’s not very likely but if all 3 existing RHD improve steadily and Bouchard plays 20 games and excels, and then We have an injury at Centre….I can see Larsson traded to fix a hole before the playoff drive

I really hope that Bouchard doesn’t play an NHL game until the playoffs (if needed for backup and experience while the Oilers are en route to the Finals… 😉 hehe), then heats it up next season to win the Calder.

149. frjohnk says:

5 games and we have 10 points. Thats 10 points in the bank.

Only need 87 points in the next 77 games to hit my prediction 🙂

No way Id look at thinking about trading Larsson this year.

Bear and Persson have looked good but the middle of the season/ end of season games are a lot tougher than the first 5 games of the season.

Keep Larsson and when he is up to speed, put him with Klefbom.

Nurse with Bear
    Russell with Benning/Persson

If Bear and Persson show to be top 4 Dman for much of the year, then yeah, Id look at trading Larsson in the summer, but not before.

150. Dr. Taboggan says:

Lol the phlegms fans complaining about Lucic is pure gold.

151. SkatinginSand says:

rickithebear:
    Pescador:

How does a table hockey goalie stop shots.
    Moves with the puck.
    Ph1 of tracking.

The puck truly hits the goalie it has no chance of going in.
    Classic is puck shot in the glove with no movement of arm.
    Then the arm swing.
    That is a closed shots.
    Not a Save!

It is simple.

Shot Quality
    Scoreable/ non scoreable

You measure a goalie by the open shots he saves.

You get a true xGA.

You get a true baseline save% for a Dmans side by open shot density yeilded.

This is a 45+ yr old observation.

Worked with dDryden and his D
    Worked with JVB and his D
    Worked with Roy and his D

OnLy scoreable shots go in.

But pocession is measured by phase.
    A rebound shot is a new phase.

Blocks + misses + hit goalie ( closed shot) are non scoreable corsi.

Easy peasey!

Better Resolution.
    Shot density based on only scoreable shots.

Finally accurate measure.

Not fake Data from closed shots.

Bullshit. You are completely discounting a goalie’s ability to get into position to make the easy “closed shot” save.
    According to many excellent goalie coaches, a perfect game by a goalie is when every shot hits him in the chest. He was in perfect position to make every save and that is an essential skill developed by endless skating drills.
    However, according to you, none of the shots had any chance of getting in.

152. Kmart99 says:

SkatinginSand,

Yup. So if a goalie is perfect positionally and never has to move to make a save, all the shots will
    be closed shots. This is great goaltending. The more “closed shots” you face as a goalie could easily, although not necessarily, be a sign of an amazing ng goalie.

Even a perfectly placed shot on a properly positioned goalie is still going to go off a shoulder, arm, or pad with no movement required once the goalie is set.

« Older Comments