2019-20 Game 12: Panthers at Oilers

The big win against the Washington Capitals behind them, the Edmonton Oilers are on to slay another dragon: The traditional tepid Sunday afternoon outing. Many of this team’s poorest games have come on Sundays, I have no explanation but will swear on a stack of bibles it’s true. Maybe Tabernac Sunday is the real enemy?

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, there is a Puck Drop Special offer here.

• New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘I don’t think anyone’s feeling comfortable’: Oilers’ Holland pleased but cautious amid early improvements.
  • Lowetide: Josh Archibald’s injury and limited replacements available puts some pressure on Oilers
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: 4 reasons why the Oilers passed their first true test of the season
  • Lowetide: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and James Neal are leading a quality Oilers second line
  • Lowetide: Assessing the early season progress of Oilers’ defence and goaltending
  • Jonathan Willis: A rare success during Edmonton’s long rebuild, why Oscar Klefbom is the model for finishing Oilers’ blue line
  • Lowetide: Jesse Puljujarvi’s impressive Liiga performance headlines Oilers prospects this week
  • Lowetide:  Oilers recall Sam Gagner to bolster offensive depth, option Gaetan Haas
  • Jonathan Willis: Can the Oilers afford to pursue Taylor Hall in free agency?
  • Lowetide: There are many similarities between this year’s Oilers team after seven and the 2016-17 team that made the playoffs. Similarities, differences and the work that needs to be done.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: That was pretty sick’: What teammates and opponents are saying about Connor McDavid’s latest goal
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘I’m gonna bring a bigger bag with me’: Oilers rookies learn about life on the road in the NHL
  • Jonathan Willis: A deep dive on the Oilers’ bottom six, which needs to produce more offence
  • Lowetide: Ethan Bear’s early success with the Oilers and what it might mean at the trade deadline
  • Jonathan Willis: How well are the solutions to key Oilers weaknesses working?
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ Oscar Klefbom playing tough minutes with inexperienced partners — and looking good doing it
  • Corey Pronman: Oilers No. 9 farm system.
  • Lowetide: Oilers top 20 prospects summer 2019.

OILERS IN OCTOBER

• Oilers in October 20154-8-0, eight points; goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 8-3-1, 17 points; goal differential +7
  • Oilers in October 2017: 4-7-1, nine points; goal differential -9
  • Oilers in October 2018: 7-4-1, 15 points; goal differential +2
  • Oilers in October 2019: 8-2-1, 17 points, goal differential +8

The Oilers delivered a strong start, had a slight downbeat and recovered with the Capitals win. What’s next? The sooner this team gets to 20 points, then 25, the more we can project them as a strong playoff contender. Every game is a big one, a win tonight keeps this year’s team ahead of the 2016 playoff edition.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM OCTOBER

• At home to: Vancouver, Los Angeles (Expected: 1-1-0) (Actual 2-0-0)
  • On the road to: NYI, NJD, NYR, CHI (Expected 2-1-1) Actual (3-1-0)
  • At home to: Philadelphia, Detroit (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 2-0-0)
  • On the road to: Winnipeg, Minnesota (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-1-1)
  • At home to: Washington, Florida (Expected 1-1-0)(Actual 1-0-0)
  • On the road to: Detroit, Columbus (Expected 1-1-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-6-1, 15 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 8-2-1, 17 points after 11 games

Oilers have surpassed my prediction with three games left. Could the Oilers win two of its last three to finish October 10-3-1? That would represent a stunning start to the season.

OILERS 2019-20

Oilers have 17 goals from the No. 1 line, 10 goals from the No. 2 line, one goal total from the third and fourth lines and six goals from the defense. Something usually gives in the days after an issue (depth scoring) is identified, but the Oilers recall of Gaetan Haas is a subtle move. I do think Haas has value but if the team sent him out then something was lacking. Did he get that element in two Bakersfield games? Seems a stretch. Joel Persson is skating with the group and getting closer.

Ottawa Senators play today and then take the rest of the week off before a Saturday game against the Bruins. The trade above reduces the team’s 50-man roster to 48 and Sens general manager Pierre Dorion is said to be searching for more help up front.

A possible Jesse Puljuajarvi landing spot? I still think it’ll be St. Louis or Carolina for young JP. However, Ottawa has some nice pieces the Oilers could be interested in (Jean-Gabriel Pageau, Connor Brown, Chris Tierney). Who would be heading to Ottawa? It would all come down to cap considerations I’m sure. One player I expect could be available, although not specifically for the names above? Jujhar Khaira. No idea what that gets you.

Honestly. It’s insane how much work went into this and that it’s public and available for free. I don’t think there’s a Nobel Prize for hockey analytics, but there should be and WG, G, Sean Solbak and Zsolt Munoz all deserve our sincere thanks. I’m sure the hockey Gods will reward you somehow.

CONDORS 2019-20

No need to panic, the prospects are fine. I’ll be writing over at The Athletic today about the boxcars for Condors forwards and what they mean, for me there are five reasonable recall options and all are doing fine. There is just one recall option on defense and that’s part of the team’s problem. Save percentage also an issue. They’ll be fine.

269 Responses to "2019-20 Game 12: Panthers at Oilers"

« Older Comments

6- None
    5- EDM

Number of forwards with 20 or more points:

2- EDM
    1- None
    0- Rest of NHL

Scary thing is, at this rate we won’t have 8 forwards with 3 points until at least December at this rate.

2. drglen says:

Did not watch the last 13 minutes…

Team was not ready to match Florida’s intensity for the first 30 minutes… and this I don’t understand. That’s culture.

I did not see anything too good from Chaisson today, … we can say that about a lot of players. Collectively this seemed like an easy game for florida, easy to skate, make passes, make plays, easy to check the oilers..

Sheehan I didn’t even know was in the game. ( it appears he had a good last 10 minutes? ) ..

Management now has there beat down loss so they can make changes. Please…
    Khaira out Haas in
    Manning out, Lagesson in. ( Manning was fine.. but everything is out of sync.. Lagesson with Kleffbom might work, Russel can slot down with Benning… or some combination.

I’m starting to think about Yamo… and that’s not good.

Also to remind that Bobrovsky was vezina caliber tonight and gave nothing away.
    We should have sat smith, obviously, after the bump.

change the warm up battle cry video or music or energy drinks or something.

3. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: There is zero reason the bottom 6 had to be as bad as it is.
    I’ve said it before but at the risk of being redundant….

Don’t buy out Sekera, buy out Gagner, don’t re-sign Chiasson, run away from Granlund.
    Close to $7 million to sign a third line.

So many decent players available who didn’t have a chair when the music stopped.

See Brian Boyle for reference.

How good would he look at #3C right now?

And we could have spent that cap on 9 min a night of Ferland
    Problem solved
    Am I rite

4. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: And we could have spent that cap on 9 min a night of Ferland
    Problem solved
    Am I rite

Ferland did not cost $7 million.
    Am I rite?

Gagner, Chiasson and Granlund are taking up $7.6 million in cap space.
    Ferland is taking up $3.5 million in cap space.

The Oiler’s trio has 2 points.
    Ferland has 3 points.
    Am I rite?

5. OriginalPouzar says:

who: You made me curious so I went back and watched the 4th goal. It wasn’t Nurse, it was Klefbom. His man dropped the puck to the point and Klefbom got caught puck watching, instead of staying with his guy.
    Bear had his man marked. From the blueline in. No way that goal is on him.
    Should have been stopped anyway.

You know what, I went back and looked now too (after reading this post) and Bear didn’t go walk-about-like I thought he did (I though he chased away from the net but he stood with a man there). I wonder if the right play was for Bear to go cut off the back door (instead of Klef who was farther to start) and Klef to take the man Bear stayed with?).

Either way, Bear wasn’t as directly culpable as I originally thought.

Thanks and sorry.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

verdad:
    leadfarmer,

See where we are at tge end of November
    Bouchard as is infinitely better than tge garbage of Manning and Russell

My goodness, I couldn’t think of many ideas that are, in my opinion, worse than bringing Bouchard up right now. He’s having an uneven time adjusting to the pro game at the AHL level and has struggled at times both at 5 on 5 and on the PP>

7. Reja says:

Oiler D was braindead on the offensive side of things way to many times to count the number of shots they had blocked because of bad hockey IQ. Benning’s block that lead to the goal was the turning point terrible decision. We do have someone in our system that specializes in getting getting pucks to the net but apparently he’s not ripe enough maybe Evan shouldn’t shower for a couple of weeks.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

My main issue with the Ferland contract was term to a marginal top 6 player with a concussion history and an uneven last season. For this player to struggle in the first 10 games of the contract is concerning.

At least all the Oilers’ middling bottom sixers are on one year contracts (well, most).

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja:
    Oiler D was braindead on the offensive side of things way to many times to count the number of shots they had blocked because of bad hockey IQ. Benning’s block that lead to the goal was the turning point terrible decision. We do have someone in our system that specializes in getting getting pucks to the net but apparently he’s not ripe enough maybe Evanshouldn’t shower for a couple of weeks.

Sorry Reja but Bouchard is stuggling at the AHL level right now.

His skill-set is needed, yup, but he’s just not ready to help this team.

Persson at 2RD
    Russell back to 3LD
    Manning back to pressbox

The aggregate of the foregoing will make a big difference to the defence and its ability to move the puck and provide some offensive IQ.

10. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar:

That’s fair.
    But Ferland has scored 106 points in the last 3 NHL seasons.
    Ferland had a virus in training camp, lost 15 pounds and missed most of camp and preseason.

Actually, Bouchard is doing pretty well in the AHL considering the constant shuffling of the defense in Bakersfield. He’s 5-5 in goal differential and he’s 8, 2-2-4. The power play isn’t on fire yet, but that’s not something you ordinarily blame on a rookie.

12. Harpers Hair says:

Some guy named Brandon Davidson is second in AHL scoring by a D.
    Is there clear evidence that Bouchard might be better?

Harpers Hair: Some guy named Brandon Davidson is second in AHL scoring by a D.
    Is there clear evidence that Bouchard might be better?

14. Harpers Hair says:

Lowetide: I’m a Davidson fan, but Bouchard’s future is going to be substantial. That said, a healthy Davidson is a quality AHL defenseman and I don’t think anyone would argue it.

Is there an argument that Bouchard is better than Davidson?

15. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar: I wonder if the right play was for Bear to go cut off the back door (instead of Klef who was farther to start) and Klef to take the man Bear stayed with?)

Yeah, it looked to me like Klefbom and Bear weren’t communicating on that one, Klef pauses before trying to get around Bear to “his” man. I think this sort of thing happens when you’re on the ice with someone infrequently.

16. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: Is there an argument that Bouchard is better than Davidson?

Why are you here!!!!

Harpers Hair: Is there an argument that Bouchard is better than Davidson?

18. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: Is there an argument that Bouchard is better than Davidson?

Is there an argument that Draisatl is better than Colborne?

19. Harpers Hair says:

Lowetide: I think you’d want to see Bouchard in the AHL for 30 games to make that kind of call. As I stated Davidson, if healthy, is quality at that level.

That’s fair.
    These days, good to great NHL defensemen emerge early.

20. OriginalPouzar says:

Skyler Brind’Amour with 2 assists in a 4-0 win. Plus 2 and 4/7 on the draw.

He now has 1G and 3A in 5 games.

Still a huge distant bell but nice to see an up arrow as he gets off to a solid start in college.

Not sure how the ECAC conference measures up against some of the others like the NCHC or H-East.

21. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer: Why are you here!!!!

Yadayadyada

22. OriginalPouzar says:

Fair but I’m going on the eye test mainly – I see a couple high end mistakes from him per game at evens and he’s had significant trouble in a few games handling the puck on the PP.

Those box-cars are OK but (1) its not his ability to put up points/produce that needs the development and (2) I believe that most (all) would consider 0.5 PPG disappointing for him – I base that off earlier conversation in this community where most thought 0.8PPG (give or take) would be the range and some thought 1.0 PPG would be the success market (I think you, LT, may have been in the latter?).

Anyways, the areas where Bouchard needs work remain areas that he needs work from my eye – and in my, far from expert, opinion.

Harpers Hair: That’s fair.
    These days, good to great NHL defensemen emerge early.

No one I’ve seen has anointed him a quality NHL defenseman, and while it’s true great NHL defensemen emerge early, we need him to be an NHL defenseman before we can talk about him being quality. He has substantial gifts, as we saw in the playoffs a year ago. He also has challenges, that’s why he’s in the AHL. I suspect this discussion is early on all counts.

24. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair: Yadayadyada

Seriously
    If you are asking the difference between a 20 year old prospect who is in his first pro season and a 28 year old D who has outside of these 8 games has never put up many points
    You are clearly trolling

25. Genjutsu says:

26. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Equating the play of a veteran to a rookie pro in trying to suss out quality is a fool’s errand.

Edit, Leadfarmer beat me to it.

Genjutsu: Fair, however before he gets a recall in his first season, especially considering contract implacations, he has to start killing it down there.

No question. The original point was that he Bouchard was “struggling” and I think that’s a little strong.

BornInAGretzkyJersey:

Thank goodness I didn’t do it.

29. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Agreed!

I was failing at a subtle jab toward a troll I was attempting to not feed 😉

BornInAGretzkyJersey:

Agreed!

I was failing at a subtle jab toward a troll I was attempting to not feed 😉

AHA!! Brilliant!! If only I had picked up on it!! 🙂

31. Harpers Hair says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:

Agreed!

I was failing at a subtle jab toward a troll I was attempting to not feed

A young player who can’t out produce s journeyman quickly becomes a journeyman.
    Either you’ve IT our you don’t.
    We wait.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Of course, with the emergence of Bear, there is no need to call Bouchard up, even with two right show D injuries – Persson will be back shortly, maybe even next game, and his insertion in to the lineup makes two pairings significantly better. Larsson isn’t out for all that long either.

The rookie has been given 7 pro games (I don’t really count the playoffs last year given the extreme sheltering, like as extreme as I’ve ever seen). Its a big jump from the CHL to the AHL let alone the NHL.

I think Bouchard will be a “fast learner” but he needs some time. He may be ready after 40 and a decision will be made but, from my eye, he is not ready after 7.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

HarpersHair: A young player who can’t out produce s journeyman quickly becomes a journeyman.
    Either you’ve IT our you don’t.
    We wait.

A 20 year old Bouchard is outpacing a 23 year old Bieksa in the AHL……..

One would also think that Bouchard would produce at better results as the year goes on.

34. texmex says:

Todd mclellan ripping the kings apart in his post game presser!! Wow.

Todd has aged

35. Bank Shot says:

Harpers Hair: A young player who can’t out produce s journeyman quickly becomes a journeyman.
    Either you’ve IT our you don’t.
    We wait.

I heard Tryamkin is the next Chara

36. Scungilli Slushy says:

leadfarmer: Why are you here!!!!

Devil’s Advocate?

37. Jethro Tull says:

OriginalPouzar: A 20 year old Bouchard is outpacing a 23 year old Bieksa in the AHL……..

Bieksa as a comparable to Bouchard. Go on, then, I’m listening.

38. Wilde says:

Either you’ve IT our you don’t.
    We wait.

You’re suggesting a rookie pro D should get >1 P/GP in the AHL?

Beyond taking point production as the principal measuring stick for a player, you just used it for a defenseman, and then placed a miniscule sample size containing a P/GP scoring streak as the standard?

That’s the most vapid and stupid thing I’ve seen said on this subject in awhile and you should be immediately thrown in posting jail for gravely endangering every reader’s brain cells. Look in the mirror, bud. That was atrocious. Turn yourself in.

39. Material Elvis says:

Harpers Hair: There is zero reason the bottom 6 had to be as bad as it is.
    I’ve said it before but at the risk of being redundant….

Close to $7 million to sign a third line.

See Brian Boyle for reference.

How good would he look at #3C right now?

Your math doesn’t add up. A Gagner buyout saves a little over $2M, Chiasson no sign saves another $2.15M, Granlund no sign saves $1.3M. Barely over $5.5M to sign three roster forwards (not one). You can keep spinning your plan anyway you want but it doesn’t work. Plus you still would have Russell on the roster and he would likely have blocked Bear.

The real issue was trading away all of the the draft picks in 2015 plus missing on Puljujarvi and Yakupov — a massive blow.

40. Jethro Tull says:

Material Elvis: Your math doesn’t add up.A Gagner buyout saves a little over $2M, Chiasson no sign saves another $2.15M, Granlund no sign saves $1.3M.Barely over $5.5M to sign three roster forwards (not one).You can keep spinning your plan anyway you want but it doesn’t work.Plus you still would have Russell on the roster and he would likely have blocked Bear.

If we’re doing the mathy thing then 2 + 2.15 + 1.3 = 5.45, barely UNDER 5.5.

And Russell is still on the roster.

Just sayin’!😁

41. Munny says:

Harpers Hair: Early results aren’t great but I think I’d wait until 20 games before making a call.

Harpers Hair: But one would expect him to exceed AHL comps before anointing him as a quality NHL defensemen.
    These days, good to great NHL defensemen emerge early.

How long have you been off your meds, D?

It’s okay, just round off to the nearest week.

42. Gerta Rauss says:

Munny,

You mentioned a subscription to the WTA streaming services the other night…can I ask you where/what provider you are getting this from..?

Ideally I’d like to order Tennis channel- I don’t see it as an upgrade with my current Shaw service

43. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss,

They don’t have The Tennis Channel, but they have all WTA events (rights holder)

DAZN

$20 per month, first month free, no contract, order through their site on-line.

App on Smart TV available, comes with NFL Gamepass etc etc. Or just watch on-line.

Get it now and you can watch Bianca in the early hours of the am tonight… or when you get home from work tomorrow.

All matches saved for one month (do wish they had the full season available)

44. Genjutsu says:

OriginalPouzar: Agreed – the potential ELC slide, while not a primary factor, is something to contemplate.

I think Bouchard will be a “fast learner” but he needs some time.He may be ready after 40 and a decision will be made but, from my eye, he is not ready after 7.

This is a nice position to be in can you think of any other year where the Oilers had RHD prospect like Bouchard lose their 1RD and 2RD and not have called the kid up?

Brave new world.

Pass the Soma

45. Gerta Rauss says:

Munny,

cheers

46. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss,

Enjoy! I’m watching the Niners game I missed this aft right now.

47. Genjutsu says:

Wilde: You’re suggesting a rookie pro D should get >1 P/GP in the AHL?

Beyond taking point production as the principle measuring stick for a player, you just used it for a defenseman, and then placed a miniscule sample size containing a P/GP scoring streak as the standard?

I don’t know, this is kinda vague, why not tell him how you really feel?

48. drglen says:

I didn’t really see D as the problem tonight, rather a poor backcheck by the forwards.. Having said that , the D were ‘confused’ and tentative in both ends.

so a shakup is needed. I wouldn’t call up D but I would like to see lageson. get into a couple games here..

I’m about to check on the cult of hockey guys.. but Jurco missed an opportunity… , Khaira is done 4 games ago so dear god let him sit…let him sit a good while. Get Haas in there. Chaisson was not able to match up with Florida’s game at all.

It did kind of feel like last year, the three goals in 2 minutes there or whatever it was. I guess we have to remember that the goal is to make the playoffs ( not to win the presidents up) .

Say, do we as a team need to hit more? Do we play better when we are hit and it gets a bit chippy? Florida just let us sleep and skated around us and filled the net. Obviously we don’t need lucic and were’ trying to be a skill team, but a few hits might have woken us up.

49. Material Elvis says:

Munny:
    Gerta Rauss,

Enjoy!I’m watching the Niners game I missed this aft right now.

I’m a 9ers fan, too. Was a great day on the ground. They’re for real.

50. Munny says:

Material Elvis,

They dearly miss Juice to my eye. Saunders was the perfect pickup at slot though.

51. drglen says:

ya, just read cult of hockey.. The powerplay, it is time for Bear.? It’s really predictable and the opposition doesn’t even have to move at this time. Over to Klef, to the right to Drai, look to thread through to macdavid, not there.. back to klef, over to macd no lane, over to klef, over to drai, back to klef, no lane.. And they don’t really fear Klef’s shot so they can cheat to macD and Drei..

Powerplay needs a shakeup and I’d start with Bear.

52. drglen says:

cult of hockey did not like the bottom 3 D.. (kris brandon matt) .. .. if they go another game without putting kris back with Matt, that would be McLelland-like stubborness.

Matt B usually provides a little hitting energy in a game like this and we missed that from him today. Everybody is out of sync!

Put Haas in, sit Khaira for God’s sake. I wouldn’t mind Sheehan sitting also.. he was absent. Do we have any bottom 6 nhls left? Granland looks like a guy about to finish his carreer in the KHL or swedish league. I’d bring up Cave at this point over Granland.

we’ve kind of forgotten about the Big Russian! In hindsight, we probably could have used him. Maybe if we’re nice we can get him back.

Holland has to be working the phones and shaking hands right now. He knows 2 point now is better than 2 in march.. why wait for ship to sink. Patch it now! Would Khaira and marody get a 3rd line veteran that can maybe play up? like a Boyle!!! Keep an eye on NJ, kick tires on Toffoli in LA?

I just don’t see a call up for Yam or Bens.. not unless an injury absolutely forces it.

53. Material Elvis says:

Munny:
    Material Elvis,

Yeah it’s tough to replace a pro bowl full back but the running backs are doing a nice job. TC is so fast. So is Breida. And the defensive line is on fire. Bosa is an absolute stud.

OriginalPouzar:
    Tough game for the rookie Bear – giveaway on the 3rd goal and totally lost the net on the 4th misreading where to go.

The forwards were beat back to the Oilers zone by the Panthers forwards. It wasn’t Bear’s fault. It was the forward’s fault (I think Gagner) for getting beat back to the clearing pass off the boards.

drglen:
    nurse and bear -3 each… thats not so good.

Mostly the forwards fault for lack of support. A lot of old lazy Oilering from the forwards today.

56. Material Elvis says:

Munny:
    Material Elvis,

Juice expects to be back during the next home stand, btw. No inflammation in the knee.

57. Genjutsu says:

Genjutsu: I don’t know, this is kinda vague, why not tell him how you really feel?

No really please elaborate i enjoyed that quite a bit.

Please

58. Munny says:

Material Elvis,

Bosa might have sewn up Rook of the Year this game. The INT just happened on my viewing… just wow.

Still the D has let McCaffrey get free on the edge three times this game. Don’t like to see that.

They’ve played a good game so far, but they have the Pack and Saints and Hawks ahead. The Hawks don’t scare me and Juice should be back for that one for sure. The other two are real teams though.

59. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Harpers Hair,

Except that isn’t always true. Some elite defensemen arrive early. Others take their time. Hedman, Giordano, Chara, Burns, Pietrangelo and many more say hi.

60. Bank Shot says:

Brandon Davidson. Next great NHL defenceman.

Jim Benning will probably sign him to a 5X5 deal.

61. Munny says:

Bank Shot:
    Brandon Davidson. Next great NHL defenceman.

Jim Benning will probably sign him to a 5X5 deal.

DSF got 10 years to wait for Davidson to arrive offensively.

He’s writing Bouchard off after 8 pro games.

Despite Bouchard already being on pace this season to surpass BD’s first three pro seasons added together.

He’s just trying to be a dick.

Meds. He needs to start taking them again.

62. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Harpers Hair: Is there an argument that Bouchard is better than Davidson?

Is there an argument that Draisaitl is better than Joe Colborne?

C’mon Andrew you’re better than this.

63. who says:

godot10: The forwards were beat back to the Oilers zone by the Panthers forwards.It wasn’tBear’s fault.It was the forward’s fault (I think Gagner) for getting beat back to the clearing pass off the boards.

Sure, Gagner could have come back harder but that goal is on Bear. He had plenty of time to make a play. He could have put it off the glass and out if nothing else was there.
    Instead he made the soft chip off the boards. He admitted he didn’t even see the 2nd forechecker.
    It was a mistake. Won’t be the last one he ever makes.

64. norm_klassen says:

According to Harper’s hair we need to give Bouchard the risto treatment:
    Put up points and be minus while learning defence as he goes
    1 season in the minors after junior never killed anybody or made them worse

6- None
    5- EDM

Number of forwards with 20 or more points:

2- EDM
    1- None
    0- Rest of NHL

Pastrnak (league leadign 23) and Marchand (20) just hit that last night, but otherwise yes.

66. SwedishPoster says:

Woodguy v2.0: Is there an argument that Draisaitl is better than Joe Colborne?

C’mon Andrew you’re better than this.

Is he though? A lot of really low level arguments this season. Used to have much more edge and at least be somewhat entertaining but of late he’s more or less been the Lucic of posting. Repeating the same stuff over and over without accomplishing anything at all. The valid points made are just reiterations of what everyone else in here are saying already, we can’t expect longterm success relying purely on McDrai? No shit. Thank Gord there’s a fan from another team here to make us all aware.

Man I’m cranky today. I never bother with this stuff.

67. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

SwedishPoster,

How’s Broberg’s play looking relative to his boxcars? Berglund scored the other day, how has he been playing? Are they still playing primarily together, or being split up more than the start of the season?

68. SwedishPoster says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    SwedishPoster,

Still playing together. Broberg is playing fine, not as noticable as he was at the start of the year, to me it’s pretty clear they’re focusing on defensive reads, positioning, understanding what works and what doesn’t at the SHL level, clearing out the junior stuff in his game. His defensive game is already at a fairly high level for a young guy but the SHL is a different animal than what he’s used to. He still shows off some highlight worthy stuff most games but not as buzzing as he was at the start of the year, one should be aware that his two points puts him tied for fifth in U19 scoring, four points behind Alex Holtz who’s leading this group, it’s not an easy league to put up points in for younglings. He’s not on the PP and with the SHL being so harsh on secondary helpers it’s rare to see D produce much 5v5. He has the best corsi on the team for D on regular rotation. Berglund is second.
    Berglund is playing well and imo should get more ice time than he’s getting, the coach have opted for his vets to get the top 4 toi they are all experience guys with KHL/NHL/NT background but imo the second pairing while not bad hasn’t been all that impressive and the BroBerglund could add more to my eye. On the other hand outside the last game the D overall has been very solid and not leaking much at all so I see why the coach sticks to his guns. It would be interesting to see him with bigger minutes as he has that top pairing poise to him.
    Berglund plays the half wall on PP2 and he scored on a nice wrister top corner last game.

69. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

SwedishPoster,

Thanks for the update, always appreciate the scouting reports. Sounds like everything is on track nicely.

Where do you see Broberg in relation to his peers for the U20 team this year?

« Older Comments