2019-20 Game 21: Avalanche at Oilers

There are two times in the first half of the year you should worry over this team: November and the period around Christmas. Since Connor McDavid arrived in 2015, Edmonton’s November records have gone like this: 4-7-2; 5-6-3; 5-8-1; 6-7-1. Since 2015, the team hasn’t delivered a positive goal differential; in fact, by season the GD was -9, 0, -6 and -8. If October is the Lido Shuffle, then November is Breakdown Dead Ahead. December is Lowdown. January? Loan me a dime. None of that means one damn thing if this version of the Oilers can keep winning more hockey games than they lose. So far, even in November, so good.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, less than two coffees a month offer here.

• New Jonathan Willis: Basically, yes, the Oilers should keep Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ‘forever’
  • New Lowetide: Why the recall of NHL-ready Caleb Jones should benefit the Oilers in the long run
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers Report Cards: Several drivers make the grade but Edmonton’s bus still has a few passengers
  • Daniel Nugent-BowmanFrom 4 to 97, Oilers both new and old share the stories behind their jersey numbers
  • Jonathan Willis: Could a fall trade improve the fortunes of your NHL team in 2019-20?
  • Lowetide: Analyzing Dave Tippett’s defensive usage and what the Oilers will do when Adam Larsson returns
  • Lowetide: What’s going on with the Bakersfield Condors?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins shines, mad props for Leon Draisaitl and more to like as the Oilers beat the Devils
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: What inexperienced defencemen like the Oilers’ Joel Persson must do to gain their coach’s confidence
  • Lowetide: Oilers are closer to having an effective second line than a year ago, but few have noticed
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The beauty of a good night’s sleep can be elusive for many NHL players
  • Jonathan Willis: Why the Oilers were wise to gamble on Tomas Jurco, even though it didn’t pan out
  • Jonathan Willis: The unlikely goalie performances underpinning the Oilers’ hot start
  • Lowetide: How far away is Evan Bouchard and what role will he play with the Oilers?
  • Scott Wheeler: Analyzing Jesse Puljujarvi’s play in Finland to see what he could offer as an NHLer
  • Jonathan Willis: Oilers right to wait until they’re sure before recalling Kailer Yamamoto, Tyler Benson
  • Lowetide:  Can Leon Draisaitl score more than 50 goals this season?
  • Minnia Feng: The 2019-20 Oilers fan guide to emotions and stressful circumstances
  • Jonathan Willis: How much will the Oilers have to pay to keep pending free agent Zack Kassian?
  • Lowetide: Oilers top 20 prospects summer 2019.

OILERS AFTER 21

• Oilers in 20157-13-1, 15 points; goal differential -9
  • Oilers in 2016: 12-8-1, 25 points; goal differential +10
  • Oilers in 2017: 7-12-2, 16 points; goal differential -18
  • Oilers in 2018: 10-10-1, 21 points; goal differential -8
  • Oilers in 2019: 12-6-2, 26 points; goal differential +9

I believe we’re at a point where the 2019 team is a close match with 2016 and has a cousin in 2018. Fair? The 2018 team went 25-28-8 from here, if this year’s model matches the final tally would be 38-34-10, 88 points. That was my prediction at the beginning of the season. The fantasy finish is 2016, that team went 35-18-8 from here. If the Oilers keep that pace, it’ll be 47-24-11. That would be 105 points, beyond anyone’s outer marker.

OILERS IN NOVEMBER

• Oilers in November 2015: 2-4-1, five points; goal differential -5
  • Oilers in November 2016: 2-4-1, five points; goal differential -6
  • Oilers in November 2017: 3-3-1, seven points; goal differential -2
  • Oilers in November 2018: 3-4-0, six points; goal differential -2
  • Oilers in November 2019: 3-2-1, seven points; goal differential +4

Including tonight’s game, the Oilers have eight games left in the month. If they average a point per game, the club would finish with 15 points in 14 games. That would exceed previous McDavid Novembers, in fact the best 97 November was 13 points.

WHAT TO EXPECT IN NOVEMBER

• On the road to: PIT (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • At home to: ARI, STL, NJD (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 1-1-1)
  • On the road to: ANA, SJS (Expected 1-0-1) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • At home to: COL, DAL (Expected 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: SJS, LAK, VEG, ARI, COL (Expected 2-3-0)
  • At home to: VAN (Expected 1-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-6-1, 15 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 3-2-1, 7 points after six games

I predicted a 3-2-1 start and that’s where the team landed after six games. I have tonight as a loss, a win Saturday against Dallas (they weren’t 8-1-1 in their last 10 when I predicted it though) and wins in Los Angeles and Phoenix during a tough road trip next week.

OILERS 2019-20

There are 26 men who have played so far this season, I wrote earlier about expecting a new record in terms of players making appearances this season.

YEAR OVER YEAR AFTER 20

Both numbers sets are after 20 games via Natural Stat Trick, this year’s number followed by last year’s in brackets. All applicable numbers five-on-five.

• Record: 12-6-2 [9-10-1]
  • Corsi: 48.56 [50.17]
  • Fenwick: 48.84 [51.15]
  • Shots: 48.95 [50.92]
  • Goals: 52.00 [45.83]
  • Shooting Percentage: 8.80 [6.60]
  • Save Percentage: 92.21 [91.91]
  • PDO: 101 [98.5]
  • Power Play: 16-4 [14-2]
  • Penalty Kill: 0-9 [3-17]

Things that make you go hmmm: Although the possession numbers are down, some of that will be score effects. I didn’t list high danger chances but it’s a good bet Tippett’s Oilers are improved there as well. Goal share is up massively, that’s an area where regression could impact the team. Shooting and save percentage are also up, luck and Leon probably to blame for the shooting. PDO isn’t crazy, the team’s special teams are +3 this year and were -2 one year ago.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we roll out an all-star cast of guests on TSN1260. Daniel Nugent-Bowman from The Athletic talks about his first quarter Oilers report card, followed by Reid Fowler from Draft Kings to talk NFL. Frank Seravalli from TSN pops in to give us the latest on Sidney Crosby, emoji’s and Don Cherry. Gabe Lacques from USA Today rounds out the guest list to talk Astros and stealing signs. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide twitter. Talk soon!

483 Responses to "2019-20 Game 21: Avalanche at Oilers"

« Older Comments
  1. Dr. Taboggan says:

Drai and McD are both casually on pace for ~160 points after 21 games. Unreal.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

MaterialElvis: Strange.When I google ‘OriginalPouzar lawyer’ I can’t find any of those awards….

Ha!

3. fishman says:

Fuhr and Lowething.:
    I would never advocate for any human getting fired purely for the sake of my distaste for what they bring to the table,but man,can we get some kind of petition going to re-purpose Remenda?

Hearing Louie in his stead is just so much more tolerable.

God yes!! Where do I sign up!!!!!!!

4. jm363561 says:

Hard to fault the PP but if there were a RHS……

5. hunter1909 says:

Nice to see Russell the defenceman making a good play.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

Dr. Tabogan with a negative comment about me? What a shocker!

7. drglen says:

After Two:

6-2 Edmonton (2-1 in the second)
    25-23 shots Colorado (14-13 in the second)
    3619 Corsi 5-on-5 Colorado (20-6 in the second)
    ==

Well Gagner had 8 and Sittler 10. If the Avs take more penalties this could be a night to remember. Kadri is up to 1:49 against 97, Archibald isn’t helping the Nuge line and Jones hasn’t made a grievous error yet.

yep, the Sittler night. First period I’d say Archibold created some turnovers… which was a plus, but has cooled off.

Jones is a bigger body than I remember. Hope he gets some games here to find his form..

8. Bag of Pucks says:

Fun stat night but I think even the Oilers would admit the Avs goalie has been weak.

Props to the home team. They’ve been very entertaining this season. Not what I expected from Tippett. Like a HC that knows how to let the horses loose on offense.

9. drglen says:

Bag of Pucks:

yes there is the new goalie thing. Yet, I seem to off hand remember, like about 8 times, where the oilers get some unknown rookie replacement goalie, and he plays the game of his life and burns us.

The game does have a bit of a ‘shinny’ feel to it… which is kind of fun.. kind of nostalgic 80s like.

10. drglen says:

ooh lucky there.. and good stops. Guys, I was kidding about the shinny thing, you still gotta play D here..

11. Reja says:

fishman: God yes!! Where do I sign up!!!!!!!

12. drglen says:

Reja: I watch the away feeds much easier on my head and surprisingly they don’t cheer against their own team.

ya, i noticed that too. The US market crews seem to be , perhaps, more ‘educational’.. ? so fair to both sides and showing insights and plays to both sides. Very pleasant..

13. Bag of Pucks says:

Could the people talking about their brilliant educations kindly let the rest of us talk about hockey? Perhaps email each other. Honestly people, I don’t give a rat’s ass about your education how much money you make or what cabinet member asks your advice.

This is a hockey site. I’m deleting all posts from here on that are not STRICTLY about hockey. I’m disappointed in some of you.

Crap. I had a post all teed up about my time in the School of Hard Knocks.

I blame Don Cherry.

True story. MacTavish has an MBA. He lasted 8 games in the hockey equivalent of the Hilarious House of Frankenstein.

14. drglen says:

Bag of Pucks: Crap. I had a post all teed up about my time in the School of Hard Knocks.

I blame Don Cherry.

True story. MacTavish had an MBA. He lasted 8 games in the hockey equivalent of the Hilarious House of Frankenstein.

lol

15. jasper says:

drglen,

You let him post non hockey replies to those who consistently post hockey only comments

16. Seismic Source says:

I’m not a Doctor but I play one on TV.

17. geowal says:

Now if they can get through a Saturday afternoon game against Dallas, they’ll really be getting somewhere.

18. Bag of Pucks says:

Connor and Leon are really pushing each other now. What a fantastic situation for the Oilers to have these two competitive elite talents striving for excellence.

19. jasper says:

jasper,

Sorry that was suppose to be a reply to Rikki

20. Seismic Source says:

Sadly this game is only going to reconfirm that if McDavid and Leon don’t score, the Oilers don’t win, and that’s all the Eastern media will talk about.

21. OilClog says:

I ducked a VCR thrown at my head by a retired boxer with CTE back in the day at the pawn shop, earned in the least a gold star on the board that day.

Oilers keep on winning, really putting some holes in the theories out there.

22. Bag of Pucks says:

Can we skip the dishes a bottle of Crown Royal to LT?

I feel like we’ve driven him to drink tonight.

23. jp says:

More McDavid points would be nice but I like Tippett sending some others out for the late PP.

Not only not rubbing it in vs the Avs but some Oilers would love to get a goal (though it didn’t work in the end).

24. jp says:

Nice game boys!

25. geowal says:

I don’t remember the last time I saw “fight” in text listing a 3 stars accomplishment.

26. GMB3 says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Can we skip the dishes a bottle of Crown Royal to LT?

I feel like we’ve driven him to drink tonight.

St Albert has a liquor store that delivers

27. hunter1909 says:

Oilers give notice the Pacific is Theirs.

Imagine Calgary fans are in a deep depression, despite having Lucic on the team this season.

28. jp says:

Another game under 20 minutes for McDavid and Draisaitl. Both under 23 min per game on the season now I think.

29. russ99 says:

Really nice win after a stinker in San Jose, and not the best start tonight.

American Thanksgiving is two weeks from today…

30. Seismic Source says:

Only Smith can post a .939 and never make you feel good about it the whole way.

31. Gerta Rauss says:

The Oilers took advantage of a depleted Colorado line up but you can only play the opponent in front of you

That’s a nice win and sets up the rest of the month for success

I’m trying to my damnedest to avoid trotting out that Lightfoot song

32. jp says:

drglen: ya, i noticed that too.The US market crews seem to be , perhaps, more ‘educational’.. ? so fair to both sides and showing insights and plays to both sides.Very pleasant..

33. GMB3 says:

Connor McDavid is really something else

34. hunter1909 says:

Gerta Rauss:

That’s a nice win and sets up the rest of the month for success

I’m trying to my damnedest to avoid trotting out that Lightfoot song

Thank You Debbie Downer.

35. OilClog says:

Myles Garrett swings Rudolph’s helmet at Rudolph’s head, Myles Garrett gets horsed kicked in the head about 4 times from a 350lb man. Sheeesh

36. hunter1909 says:

@ Lowetide
    @Woodguy

Here is a 2 person poll: Which if either of you now thinks this team might be turning into something crazy-good?

37. Ryan says:

GMB3:
    Connor McDavid is really something else

McDavid and Draisatl are something.

Who’s a poor man’s Pageau?

38. Abbeef says:

Van is down 3-2 to Dallas (2nd int.)
    Arizona loses in reg.

Looking like a good night.

39. jp says:

OK, updated projections now that the festivities are finished.

Draisaitl 82-59-101-160
    McDavid 82-54-90-144

Crazy things happened in 1992-93 (well, 3 guys scored 140+ points, 10 scored 120+).

The best seasons since then:
    1995-96 Lemieux 70-69-92-161
    1995-96 Jagr 82-62-87-149
    1993-94 Gretzky 81-38-92-130
    2018-19 Kucherov 82-41-87-128

Most assists: Joe Thornton 96 in 2005-06.

So yeah, not bad Connor and Leon. Could be the best in more than 20 years.

Do we think Tippett should split them up? 😛

40. Ivan says:

Woodguy v2.0: You’re welcome brother.

I’ve been on vacation all week so I’ve had time in the morning.

I enjoy doing them too.

Fantastic, Darcy.
    Looks pretty accurate in retrospect!
    Really appreciate the work!

41. jp says:

geowal:

Can’t let ourselves get too comfortable but this is not the same Oilers we’ve grown used to.

42. Durag says:

hunter1909:
    Oilers give notice the Pacific is Theirs.

43. Professor Q says:

OilClog:

I was happy about the win, but really, even when we win, we lose.

Rudolph started it by wrenching on Myles’ helmet and likely using racial words to provoke him, or something else provocative, at least.

Myles has never acted like that before, I’ve played video games with him before and he’s generally cool and collected, but having your head attempted to be yanked off and, as some are saying, being kicked in the “groin”, might set off some things, right or wrong.

Myles never should have swung at him with his helmet. That’s obviously inexcusable, but he isn’t Satan Incarnate and there are other culpable parties involved.

And the Steelers players should not have gang beat Myles. People are honestly trying to excuse Pouncey for kicking Myles’ head while he was being held down. Ridiculous. It was a shyte show.

Rudolph should have been ejected with the rest of them.

44. OriginalPouzar says:

McDavid played under 18 minutes and Drai under 17 minutes – beautiful.

With that said, Klef play 27:30 – next closes player was K. Russell at 21 min….

45. geowal says:

jp: They ARE somewhere. Currently tied for 2nd in the league in points (ya, ya, only 5th in PTS%).

There’s somewhere, then there’s REALLY somewhere, hahaha.

46. drglen says:

Durag: Gaudreau is still trying to adjust to feeling 6 inches taller with Lucic on the team. His arms and legs are all gangly and uncoordinated

it will be interesting when we finally get the edmonton calgary games. Calgary is going to make a big push.

As far as lucic goes, from the parts of games I have seen, he mostly sits on the bench looks menacing.

47. drglen says:

jp: Ever seen the Bruins crew though? The most biased guys I’ve ever seen. Over the top. The US crews generally are pretty good though.

no I’ve never seen the bruins crew. I stand corrected!

48. pts2pndr says:

fishman: God yes!! Where do I sign up!!!!!!!

49. OriginalPouzar says:

SeismicSource:

Even if that was true, I don’t really care – over a quarter in to the season and the Oilers are tied for first in the conference and sit atop their division by four points.

Of course, the Oilers had 3 goals from other players and only gave up two…..

50. OriginalPouzar says:

Post of the year!

51. Gerta Rauss says:

hunter1909: Thank You Debbie Downer.

LoL…I’ve had to trot that song out every damn year for the last 10 years, I’m not missing it at all

And Donner party references are down this year as well LoL

Fun month so far

52. Scungilli Slushy says:

Great win. Connor and Leon doing what they should against a depleted D and non NHL goalies.

Not us for a change!

Now to just get to a more even place game in and out. I’m really interested to see how Holland changes things up when he does, which he will. I’m thinking one more larger roster turn over and then we see more promotions from the farm.

Hopefully a strong showing against the evil Stars.

53. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilers win in regulation.

Arizona loses in regulation

Vancouver loses in regulation

Anaheim loses in regulation

54. HT Joe says:

Seismic Source: Easter

Maybe they should talk about the fact that the Leafs don’t have a player with even 2/3 the points that Draisatl has. >:)

And just barely more than 2/3 the points of our second leading scorer…

55. Side says:

hunter1909:
    Oilers give notice the Pacific is Theirs.

I noticed Dougie Hamilton is in 13th place for scoring leaders.

The highest Flame is Tkachuk in 16th.

Heh.

56. jp says:

This really does deserve another shout out. Excellent!

Growth spurt came late for him I guess.

57. Reja says:

drglen: no I’ve never seen the bruins crew.I stand corrected!

Love the Bruins Announcers total homers but they’re entertaining. We have something special with Leon and Connor and it gets ruined at times because of the reverse engineer Drew Remenda announcing. I can see why very few of the players have discussions with this piece of work. Man do l miss Rod Phillips.

58. theDjdj says:

OriginalPouzar: Post of the year!

Brevity is the soul of wit as they say. Truly pithy and funny,

59. BONE207 says:

After Two:

6-2 Edmonton (2-1 in the second)
    25-23 shots Colorado (14-13 in the second)
    3619 Corsi 5-on-5 Colorado (20-6 in the second)
    ==

Maybe ricki is right. Corsi doesn’t mean a damn thing when you score more than the other team. Colorado can score 5000 corsis but CONNOR can score 6 points.

Kick a team when they’re down, killer instinct & all that, seems like the way forward. Now for our bottom 6…is our children learning?

60. rickithebear says:

leadfarmer:
    rickithebear

I don’t think that means what you think it means
    People in other countries are no less evolved than people in other countries

I’m curious Mr Bear what is your level of education?

Verbal interaction with the leading aerospace minds of the 20th century.
    -My dad,
    Avro arrow, Apollo, hawk ( first self guided Sam), Landsat, Seasat,
    magnetic guided nuclear powered rockets w/ S. Suzuki
    Excocet (w/ French government)
    Commisioning Mag lev train.
    Design, construction, commission advanced satelite programs for most western countries: India, Korea, Japan, leading South American countries: Argentina ( their during Falkland war), Middle East countries when they were considered friends, Saudi, Iran,
    -The European space agency committee field review of Canadian operation.
    When they offered him head of ESA satelite division in civittavechia, Italy.
    -dicky do: man I am named after ( inventor of black box)
    – S. Suzuki: magnetic guided nuclear powered rockets,
    – Gerald Bull: his ballistic ideas just blew my mind at 8 yr old.
    And so on.

As a young child:
    On farm in Rocky: age 5-8
    Following tractor Picking rocks off edge of lower quarter near meeting of 2 creeks.
    Other farm, garden help

Age 9-12
    Running winter trap line
    Splitting birch for hours and weeks during summer.
    Once a month cleaning industrial chicken farms, shovel shit and run electric defeather
    Mixing fine mud for brick layers half a summer.
    Feeding a blown isolation machine (12) (fibreglass & Cellulose) Sask housing on northern reserves.
    Full day during no summer fly and 30+ celcius in box truck.

Age 13-14
    Building our 2 storey 2100 sq ft per floor house from scratch every night after school summer and weekends for 2 yrs.

Age 13:
    During off school days.
    Neighbors wife coming over in a bikini teaching me what picking berries really meant.
    Later her friends would also help pick berries.
    Lesson – those who do not talk get.

Age 14:
    Worked as fry and burger cook at A&W drive -in.
    Sunday’s after treaty cheque, I got to chase the drunk First Nation people out of the dumpster with a shovel.
    Age 15:
    Worked summer in housing construction

Went uni at 15 turned 16 that fall
    2 years of public admin at age 16 & 17, thru business school UofS.
    Member of 4 parties: NDP, Liberal, PC, Rhino
    Nothing worse than forming an opinion bout something without knowing doctrine and process.
    Proffesor Courtney was an influence.

Age 18
    House construction, insulation, Asbestos removal thru Ontario painters union
    Age 19-20
    joined federated Co-op 3rd yr mechanic training
    Age 21-22
    Assistant station Manager PA cop gas station.
    Age 23
    Offered position in federated coop Regional director training.
    Thought with my dick.

Went to uni with girlfriend long time friend.
    1st 2 yr of chem
    3rd yr she got in speech path in Minot.
    Classes and labs mon. To wed. Drove 8 HR to Minot wed night and 8 hr back sun evening.
    Learned you do not piss on side of road next to a missle silo at night.
    Cause a suburban pulls up and machine guns get pointed at you.
    Volunteered for tests at speech path program.
    Girlfriend did not tell me the results
    Tested out at grade 24 math and all sciences.
    But clear disability markers.
    It was at that point said distant sucks.
    4 th yr of Chem had decifded I had been doing that for her.
    Did not finish degree.
    Biggest influences were
    Prof Kassidy who let me be involved in his Thin Column GC development.
    And
    Slavic Proph ( cannot remember his name) who was developing computer modeling of lab work (1987-88)

Age 26/27 Left and started millwork construction company, multiple retail builds in Banff.
    Retail builds across North America with Vendtech. Building video game, pool hall/ dance floor restaurants/ bars in prime locations. Eatons Center and other prime Retail locals across North American urban centers.
    Got to sit at old HI inn with a older man who wanted us to do a kitchen For him.
    My Buisness partner ( uncle) was one of the origional employees of his industrial trailer company.
    Ron southern Wanted his kitchen done in Iron Wood.
    Fuck me!

The vendtech job came to us cause most people named Taylor were of Slavic Jewish heritage.

It was during this time I found out my Uncle was a swinger and had 8g’ ft x 16ft bed in his bedroom.
    That Monday nights was Karaoke night (with close friends of his from the swingers club.) with uni girls who worked in escort service.

Most saw the job to an intellectual choice to an education means.

We lost all our work in the South Chinook community cause my uncle fucked the bosses wife.
    I realized she was unhappy and a piece of her husbands collection.
    The Ferrari, jaguar, Harley, horseshoe shaped house in the exclusive area of Calgary.
    Pictures of his model wife on cover of Cosmo.

Moved back to PA.
    Started seasonal as a janitor at cleaning outhouses, and tent shack ( really 2 bed loft mini homes) + camp ground shower houses.

Worked seasonal for 2 yr on road crew.
    The 2nd year I saw the most unnerving thing since chasing drunks from the A&W garbage.
    We were continuing to put up fence for the new garbage dump hole.
    Parents were laying next to a car drunk. A young kid jump and squeezed.
    He had a Fried chicken drum stick from the ground and started chewing on it.

Then 1 yr back country crew.

It was at that point I accepted a chance to give up my job To a First Nation person from a local reserve.
    //I remember from my Coop days the Halkett family from Montreal lake band.
    The husband and wife worked for Weyerhaeuser Pulp & Paper.
    Every two weeks they would drive in with 2 vans full of kids.
    Take then to Sally Ann to get them clean clothes that fit, buy canned goods ( that the parents could not sell for booze or drugs), make sure they had a can opener.
    Would come to the gas station were we had free coffee//

Adam bird (A parks garbage man) he was the Montreal lake band medicine man I would hang out with some times, told me one of the halkett boys helped with the tradition.
    And was allways sober.

I gave up my job to him.
    Accepted the offer to be put on UI for the 2 yr while going to school if I paid my tuition and books.

Granted as the Canada Scohlar in Eng design and drafting.
    Worked for many years.
    – told Smokey river Coal the calculated conveyor feed rates were incorrect.
    – worked for National Oilwell Dre o we Arden knoll, taught me kremco rigs, jay thiesden taught me offshore drilling design,
    My Clients were Aramco, Duetag, Petrosbra, Gulf, Bonaire, Nanhai, Final ones were Gasprom. We’re I was to move to London.
    Mom got brain cancer and I left.
    – worked for Trans Alta for 3 yr. we’re I meet Dave Forrter who invented using building structural steel to create Crains and transfer rail systems.
    – accepted a job with SNC lavalin that was to be a 7 yr on NAT Gas storage systems in Fort sask area.
    Sat in the meeting were Cesar Ortega first presented the concept of modular construction. Lavalin thought they could push the limits of contract.( use to Que) they were punted.
    – took a 2 day job with ese engineering. He showed me some drawings and specs.
    Said he had 2 days of drafting. I looked at specs of equipment and realized they were done in India and had been spec for non winter environment. I was the 6 person brought in and first to tell him this was at least a years work.
    – when the job was done I went to Colt. Was suppose to head up as build team on Rainbow lake project.
    While I was their I got transferred to Instrumentation group reviewing all tech errors on? The fort Sask underground gas storage project.
    I also found a whole section on new standards for Colt that were not implemented.
    Their was a huge event for Colt that was going to create a new standard.
    The new head of construction division Dave Forter had seen me walking around.
    He asked to see me and wanted talk about what I had seen here so far.
    All I did was go to a computer and show an existing standard that had been developed recently and lost in colts constant reorg
    He laughed.
    – During this time Emad from ESE Approached me cause the companies heard we predicted the huge fire at Albion Sands.
    They wanted us to set up a company that would be independent set of eyes for all sub eng projects.
    Look at design standards, aa build tie-ins, recommend weld, electrical standards, that lower end cost staff could be certified to do.
    Spent 6 months while at Colt building the presentation.
    Fort Mac companies accepted it.
    But ESE had also bid on the 10 yr of school bids with margins that were 50% higher than industrial.
    He took the school bids.

It was at this time I took the maternity and moved to ST. John NB.
    My wife was overseeing staffing for all old navy’s in Maritimes, Maine & Vermont.

We spent 6 months their.
    Took a 6 week drafting job in Hanna with Atco to get back in AB.

Completed the job in 3 weeks and they asked me to do some other in house drafting.
    Their was a meeting of all the site managers of combined Atco/ trans Alta sites.
    I was pouring some coffee, when some one said “Rick” and slapped me on the back.
    Gary Woods who I helped chase data for setting up boiler inspection program at Trans Alta Wab lake assets was now Transalta head of combined assets.

Gary looked at all the managers and said.
    “ you guys are lucky to have the best technical mind I know working for you, don’t loose this guy you will miss him”
    The manager of sheerness came over to me and said can I have your full resume.
    Eng Mgr got it at morning break.
    Plant manager Came to me at afternoon coffee.
    HR in Calgary/ and the Assc. Is willing to create a new position with top scale so we can higher you.
    You will have to finish the contract.
    I was employed officially on April 20, 2005, one month in my wife met a guy on internet and left.
    Atco gave all the time needed to get settled.
    I have been the A’s- builder, 3D groundscape engineer, data chase and confirmed, emergency technical provider for design, maintenance, operation of equipment.
    – pride and joy.
    Having 20 min to decide if a small cased crusher Moyer sitting in a motor plant in N. Car could fit in our failed Run of Mine crusher.
    The held the needed plant employees and ran them Overtime for the weekend. Double shift.
    Had the rom in place less than 4 days.
    – vfD were installed based on breakout power needed indicated on the design spec. The reduction in break out power loss from VFD did not drop it to a non breakout situation.
    Having worked conveyors I knew their was a breakout spec indicated by conveyor company.
    They did not install a motor with their breakout standard. 100 hp short.
    With VFD installed motors did not meet breakout.
    – company was going to spend up to a million to pay a company to identify to Coal side of Plant they could abandon.
    My former eng boss who was now head of generation told the group to give me a couple days to see what I could come up with.
    I was Able to find all 3D const models for steel, coal side, and dust pass trunmodels.
    All models, site plans, gen Assam, with all removals hatched, an drawings, calculated weights for parts, assemblies and groups for pound costing, origional install costs in less than 24 hrs.

This is what I call learning.

When some idiot comes to me with white privaledge.

I look at them and say, “ have you ever shoved shit out of failed outhouse.”
    When they say “ No”
    I say “ shut the fuck up you Privelaged prick”

61. Reja says:

Kudos to Tippett for going with Smith, nice bounce back game made some tough saves. First thing Mcdavid in the post game interview mentioned was the huge hit and fight by Mama Kass it brought electricity to the bench. Is there any team in the league that wouldn’t want Kass in the playoffs. Why do you think Tampa picked up Patty.

62. BONE207 says:

Gerta Rauss:

That’s a nice win and sets up the rest of the month for success

I’m trying to my damnedest to avoid trotting out that Lightfoot song

But the gales of November come early!!!
    It’s the 15th tomorrow & the snow is melting . There should be enough weak sisters out there to get us through the month. If only we can avoid this upcoming Tabernacle Saturday…

63. rickithebear says:

I allways ask how much of corsi was open!
    Which really relates to dmans open shots/ Corsi.

Corsi against is dependent on Fwd OZ, NZ pocession retention, fwd NZ trap, dmen being able to press blue cause of NZ transition pressure.

I would never consider Corsi against a major dman affect.
    Forward heck ya!

64. rickithebear says:

OriginalPouzar: Post of the year!

Ditto!

65. BONE207 says:

rickithebear,

I think I saw all this in a Mad Max movie.

66. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Oilers win in regulation.

Arizona loses in regulation

Vancouver loses in regulation

Anaheim loses in regulation

Sorry, this needed re-publishing.

67. Wilde says:

Neat back-to-back stickchecks by Bear and Makar, respectively:

Bear made a characteristically great play immediately after his takeaway, but Makar’s was such a slick play with pretty high stakes considering the carrier is a 50-goal scorer

I didn’t expect that (re)debut but Jones, he basically seemed to make a gambit of trying to stay 100% in coverage and underneath the puck the entire time and took a ton of hard resets – normally he has this frightening confidence on possession-change plays, particularly when he’s either the guy who has the puck post-takeaway or is in a give-and-go situation with the one who does.

Instead he was incredibly conservative, and to a degree it worked – off-side 2RD work with little danger. Again, the opposite of what would be expected for a long-time observer.

68. HT Joe says:

rickithebear,

Cool post… thanks for sharing. The last bit was harsh, but so is shoveling poop from an outhouse, so it seems fair. Take care Mr. Bear!

69. rickithebear says:

Professor Q: I was happy about the win, but really, even when we win, we lose.

Rudolph started it by wrenching on Myles’ helmet and likely using racial words to provoke him. But Myles never should have swung at him with his helmet.

And the Steelers players should not have gang beat Myles.

Rudolph should have been ejected with the rest of them.

You sure Rudolph didn’t,t ask him if he had ever shoveled shit?
    When Myles said, “No”
    Rudolph said “ fuck white privaledge, you spoiled rich Prick.”
    Ignore this cause it is a silly guess like yours.
    I do not guess!
    Unless it is to make a point about stupid guesses!

Scientific probability says.
    You could never ask Von Miller about shovelling shit.
    He runs a chicken farm.

70. Reja says:

Wilde:
    Neat back-to-back stickchecks by Bear and Makar, respectively:

Nice start with the big club played it safe and conservative his name wasn’t mentioned much which is a good thing. I’m sure Tippett was pleased with his calmness and the quiet game he had.

71. duct tape and foil says:

Ryan: McDavid and Draisatl are something.

Who’s a poor man’s Pageau?

Want the real one for our 3rd line. He’d transform the bottom 6 pushing everyone into their proper slots.

72. v4ance says:

True story!

I took a temp job for Waste Management one summer assembling those rolling garbage bins for 3 days during Stampede. I was too gung ho at my job so by the 2nd day I used up all the available parts they had in stock and assembled all 300 bins when they expected me to have only done 150 by that time. They said since you’ve been booked 3 days, how about we give you a rubber suit, a pressure washer and you wash a bunch of porta-potties. I was okay doing for the rest of day so I came back the 3rd day.

On that 3rd day, one of the units had rocks filliing the bottom of the potties and I asked my supervisor what to do since the pressure washer was just cleaning off the rocks and spraying liquidized poop everywhere. He handed me a set of gloves that went up to my elbows and said “dig in”. After getting my face up close and personal with the toilet seat and scooping out all the rocks with my hands, I wasn’t nearly as enthusiastic about the job for the rest of the day.

The only consolation was I rode home on a 4 pm rush hour Stampede train smelling like a barnyard and I had LOADS of space in the sardine packed train headed downtown. It was about 30 degrees and even though everyone was sweating, I was on a whole other plane of smelly.

I figure that was worth any 5 university degrees anyone else has!

73. Munny says:

Wilde,

You have great streams.

I think Reja is right. This coach seems all about adjustment periods. For so long we’ve been putting up with throw’em-to-the-wolves deployment and expectations.

I really like the quiet introductions Tippett has crafted.

74. Munny says:

v4ance,

This post lol. Five Goal Score and Win winner. Hands down.

75. Profit says:

Well that was a fun game. Drive down the QE2 was a pleasure.

McDavid looked unstoppable. Otherworldly

76. Munny says:

Profit:
    Well that was a fun game. Drive down the QE2 was a pleasure.

McDavid looked unstoppable. Otherworldly

I am enjoying watching the standings but more than anything, I’m enjoying watching them play hockey. Even the bottom 6.

And The Kommand Line? It’s giving us generational memories.

Dave Reece was worried there for awhile tonight.

78. Reja says:

Holland has to sniffing around for a 3.rd line Centre. If Columbus keeps losing and Josh Anderson isn’t interested In resigning I would be all over this player. I don’t know what’s going on with him as he only has 2 points in 12 games but I’m almost certain that he would score 25-35 in Edmonton.

79. GMB3 says:

Reja:
    Holland has to sniffing around for a 3.rd line Centre. If Columbus keeps losing and Josh Anderson isn’t interestedIn resigning I would be all over this player. I don’t know what’s going on with himas he only has 2 points in 12 games but I’m almost certain that he would score 25-35 in Edmonton.

Would you rather have a 3C or Josh Anderson?

80. v4ance says:

Munny,

Oops… I forgot my actual point of the entire story…

The part where I was picking rocks out of the porta-toilet= watching the Oilers lose to SJ

The part where I rode home triumphantly on the C-Train with a literal shit-eating grin= watching this game tonight with Smith (unsteadily) in net!

81. Dr. Taboggan says:

I have heard from a reliable source that the NHL is considering a rule change: if Drai and McD are on the ice together the Oilers can only ice two other skaters.

82. Dr. Taboggan says:

Also, Auston Matthews > McDavid Am I right?

83. Pescador says:

Material Elvis: Strange.When I google ‘OriginalPouzar lawyer’ I can’t find any of those awards….

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury,
    I’m just a Pouzarman,
    I don’t understand your new age way of life, your fancy cars and flying machines.
    Your doodoo eating water chair frightens me.
    Rest in peace Mr. Hartman